PDA

View Full Version : Critical Impact on Pokemon

Manaphy1128
August 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Other then news about banned episodes, I have un-covered some complaints about Pokemon and how it works. many people believe some facts of pokemon have taken critiscim to beleives and such.

Racisim:

This original design of the Pokémon Jynx bore a striking, but probably coincidental, resemblance to entertainers in blackface. A strong case can be made for Jynx being a parody of or homage to the Japanese Ganguro and Yamanba fashion trends, which were extremely popular when Pokémon was first released. Blackface-influenced characters have appeared elsewhere in anime and manga—examples can be found near the beginning of Osamu Tezuka's early graphic novel, Metropolis and also can be found with Dragon Ball Z's Mr. Popo.

As Pokémon became more popular in the United States, this perceived similarity to a racist image from the United States' past offended some. In particular, it offended children's book author Carole Boston Weatherford, who accused Jynx of being a racist stereotype in an article titled "Politically Incorrect Pokémon" in the magazine Black World Today, shortly after the anime episode Holiday Hi-Jynx aired. As a result, later episodes of the anime which feature Jynx were either banned or edited in the United States.

In 2002, in response to this controversy, Nintendo changed Jynx's face from black to purple and its hands from blue to purple in the video game series, a change which would be reflected in the anime three years later.

Religion

Pokémon has been criticized by members of both the Christian and Jewish religions.

After the US release of Pokémon Yellow, a sudden widespread criticism of it passed through Christian congregations primarily by word-of-mouth. Some Christian groups in the United States believe Pokémon to be Satanic in origin. Claimed parallels between Pokémon and Satanism include the capturing and invoking of Pokémon to perform tasks, similar to demons; the concept of Pokémon "evolution," which denies some forms of biblical interpretation; and certain abilities of Pokémon, such as psychic or elemental powers, not stated to derive from God.

In 2001, Saudi Arabia banned Pokémon games and cards, alleging that the franchise promoted Zionism.

Health

On December 16, 1997, more than 635 Japanese children were admitted to hospitals with convulsive epileptic seizures. It was determined that the seizures were caused by watching an episode of Pokémon, "Dennō Senshi Porygon," (most commonly translated "Electric Soldier Porygon", season 1, episode 38); as a result, this episode has not been aired since. In this particular episode, there were bright explosions with rapidly-alternating blue and red color patterns. It was determined in subsequent research that these strobing light effects cause some individuals to have epileptic seizures, even if the person had no previous history of epilepsy. As a consequence, many publishers (including Nintendo) added warning labels to their video game products (or made pre-existing labels more prominent), warning that exposure to video games may trigger seizures in individuals vulnerable to photosensitive epilepsy.

This incident is the most common focus of Pokémon-related parodies in other media, and was lampooned by The Simpsons episode "Thirty Minutes over Tokyo" and the South Park episode "Chinpokomon," among others.

.Aero
August 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I heard of both the Racism and Health ones. I find the Religion one to be dumb and I am Catholic mind you. I hear about Jynx on Serebii, same with the Health one, is this where you read it?

Manaphy1128
August 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
No.

Wikipedia is a god

Azonic
August 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I also heard of the Whiscash one. which was skipped because of the massive Earthquakes.

And one that turned James into a woman(they gave him the woman stuff on one episode 0.0;).

I heard that one episode caused major shootings by children after this episode aired.

Manaphy1128
August 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Dude. I've already wrote about that in Pokemon TV and Movies section. Gpo see for yourself.

.Aero
August 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Oh ya, that's where I read it. XD And I read about James....ummm.....girl parts episode got banned on Serebii. Well in the US it was banned, but in Japan apparently they're allowed to watch more "graphic" television.

EeveePkmnMaster
August 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
All in all this sums it up. American has kids to uptight and held on too closey so their eyes so get influnced by "bad stuff" Seriously, kids will grow p and see this stuff, its better when theyre younger to ask away instead of being to embrassed and dont bother asking when theyre in their 30's

AztecSunshine
August 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Other then news about banned episodes, I have un-covered some complaints about Pokemon and how it works. many people believe some facts of pokemon have taken critiscim to beleives and such.

Racisim:

This original design of the Pokémon Jynx bore a striking, but probably coincidental, resemblance to entertainers in blackface. A strong case can be made for Jynx being a parody of or homage to the Japanese Ganguro and Yamanba fashion trends, which were extremely popular when Pokémon was first released. Blackface-influenced characters have appeared elsewhere in anime and manga—examples can be found near the beginning of Osamu Tezuka's early graphic novel, Metropolis and also can be found with Dragon Ball Z's Mr. Popo.

As Pokémon became more popular in the United States, this perceived similarity to a racist image from the United States' past offended some. In particular, it offended children's book author Carole Boston Weatherford, who accused Jynx of being a racist stereotype in an article titled "Politically Incorrect Pokémon" in the magazine Black World Today, shortly after the anime episode Holiday Hi-Jynx aired. As a result, later episodes of the anime which feature Jynx were either banned or edited in the United States.

In 2002, in response to this controversy, Nintendo changed Jynx's face from black to purple and its hands from blue to purple in the video game series, a change which would be reflected in the anime three years later.

Religion

Pokémon has been criticized by members of both the Christian and Jewish religions.

After the US release of Pokémon Yellow, a sudden widespread criticism of it passed through Christian congregations primarily by word-of-mouth. Some Christian groups in the United States believe Pokémon to be Satanic in origin. Claimed parallels between Pokémon and Satanism include the capturing and invoking of Pokémon to perform tasks, similar to demons; the concept of Pokémon "evolution," which denies some forms of biblical interpretation; and certain abilities of Pokémon, such as psychic or elemental powers, not stated to derive from God.

In 2001, Saudi Arabia banned Pokémon games and cards, alleging that the franchise promoted Zionism.

Health

On December 16, 1997, more than 635 Japanese children were admitted to hospitals with convulsive epileptic seizures. It was determined that the seizures were caused by watching an episode of Pokémon, "Dennō Senshi Porygon," (most commonly translated "Electric Soldier Porygon", season 1, episode 38); as a result, this episode has not been aired since. In this particular episode, there were bright explosions with rapidly-alternating blue and red color patterns. It was determined in subsequent research that these strobing light effects cause some individuals to have epileptic seizures, even if the person had no previous history of epilepsy. As a consequence, many publishers (including Nintendo) added warning labels to their video game products (or made pre-existing labels more prominent), warning that exposure to video games may trigger seizures in individuals vulnerable to photosensitive epilepsy.

This incident is the most common focus of Pokémon-related parodies in other media, and was lampooned by The Simpsons episode "Thirty Minutes over Tokyo" and the South Park episode "Chinpokomon," among others.

now i know why they don't sell pokemon cards in Qatar any more (Qatar is right near Saudi Arabia )

Ichida
August 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM
For crying out loud, they're video game monsters!! Why would anyone take any element of it seriously? These complaints are filed by oversensitive, overbearing prudes with nothing better to do with their time. Do these idiots actually believe that if their kid sees a small electric rat transform into a bigger electric rat, they'll abandon their religion? "Pokemon can evolve, Mommy, so so did humans!" Give me a break! They're just video games! Lay the frig off!! And as for Jynx, why is that even an issue? It's a monster who just happened to have black skin! It was based off of the Ganguro style, and just because it was a Japanese trend that Jynx was designed after, the idiotic Americans call it racist! They're the culturally insensitive ones for not realizing Jynx's actual origins. What, are they gonna file another lawsuit if they see a shiny Rayquaza? "A black dragon? Oh no they didn't!"

Manaphy1128
August 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
For crying out loud, they're video game monsters!! Why would anyone take any element of it seriously? These complaints are filed by oversensitive, overbearing prudes with nothing better to do with their time. Do these idiots actually believe that if their kid sees a small electric rat transform into a bigger electric rat, they'll abandon their religion? "Pokemon can evolve, Mommy, so so did humans!" Give me a break! They're just video games! Lay the frig off!! And as for Jynx, why is that even an issue? It's a monster who just happened to have black skin! It was based off of the Ganguro style, and just because it was a Japanese trend that Jynx was designed after, the idiotic Americans call it racist! They're the culturally insensitive ones for not realizing Jynx's actual origins. What, are they gonna file another lawsuit if they see a shiny Rayquaza? "A black dragon? Oh no they didn't!"

No you see...*sighs*

"This original design of the Pokémon Jynx bore a striking, but probably coincidental, resemblance to entertainers in blackface"

The problem isn't the skin is black. They felt it looked like a real person, a black one.

Ichida
August 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
The problem isn't the skin is black. They felt it looked like a real person, a black one.

Again, they're video game monsters. Anyone who takes them that seriously, seriously needs a hobby.

Shiraishi
August 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Ichida, you have been quoted and pasted. Well said XD. I read those on wiki too :/ I'm half black and when I first saw Jnyx in my pokemon handbook that I had, I didn't think he had ANYTHING to do with black people.

Random
August 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Ichida, you have been quoted and pasted. Well said XD. I read those on wiki too :/ I'm half black and when I first saw Jnyx in my pokemon handbook that I had, I didn't think he had ANYTHING to do with black people.

Me neither, and Ichida is right, people shouldn't fuss or criticize over a "video monsters game," which pokemon was originally, all because it goes against beliefs and that in some cases its "racist" and you know its not even racism, though people like to say it is, but more correctly its prejudice. Theres a big difference. 0_0

~Swish~
August 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
It's so very easy to say people shouldn't worry about video game monsters. But the simple fact is, they do. There will ALWAYS be people who come out with the most stupid arguments and try to pick holes in a new tv show or any other sort of new thing. Unfortunately its just something we have to live with. Obviously the Porygon episode needed to be cut, but the others are just idiotic arguments, trying to pick holes in a show that their own kids adore/adored.

Ichida, obviously these people shouldn't take it all so seriously, but the fact is, some people may find it offensive. Just because you don't, it doesn't distinguish the fact that others may. I agree with you that I think its stupid, but you have to see it from other peoples perspective.

Ichida
August 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ichida, you have been quoted and pasted. Well said XD.

XDD, I noticed; thanks for that.

Craig²
August 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Best. Paragraph. Ever

I agree completely with you, and if I can ever manage to fit it, this is going in my signature.

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pokemon/124.png

Wait a second there...Jynx looks more purple than black. Are people really that quick to judge and color insensitive?

I think the Porygon episode needed to be cut because it proposed a health concern, but everything else is just...Eww.

I hate people who get so worked up about these pointless situations and arguments.

.Aero
August 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM
No they changes Jynx's color to purple because of this. XD
Ichida that was hillarious. I'm adding the ending to my sig. XD

Shiraishi
August 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Jynx was black during RBY. Nintendo changed the color because of the no life morons.

MegaDitto
August 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM
A Tom and Jerry episode is banned due to Jerry dressing up in blackface makeup. Not really the first time this was mentioned and caused a issue.

Electric Soldier Porygon is not that new and it could happen anywhere....>_o

You somewhat revived the past topics of this forum. Oh the good old days. They're gone.

Ichida
August 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Jynx was black in RBY because the graphics sucked, too. XDD.

.Aero
August 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
That's true too. But wasn't it black in the Anime too? I thought it was a homosexual steriotype too. I never looked at black people like that. I can't believes these people think little kids will become racist by this. I didn't even notice.

Anti
August 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Racisim:

Religion

Health

I'm catholic. I say this whole religion thing is a load of (for lack of a better term)...I have no word. It is so pathetic. What is nintendo trying to do? Say catholic religion is bad? C'mon! That is really low IMO. It's just a little video game and TV series (which has declined over the years). Just give it a rest.

Star★Seeker
August 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Ah, the religion one, that ones is soooo stupid.Getting tired of people in school saying Pikachu calls satan.OMG!TEH PIKA CALLSA SATAN!!!!11111.Seriously, it's just a show with monsters, without the mons what would it be?:OMG!MY DOG CABN OUTBARK YOURS!!!!1111.And to show that I don't bolieve in the "satanic pokemon" crap, I put a Pikachu keychain on my bookback when I went to school yesterday.And Ichida, you're so funny, that's also going in my funny posts list.

Ichida
August 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm catholic. I say this whole religion thing is a load of (for lack of a better term)...I have no word. It is so pathetic. What is nintendo trying to do? Say catholic religion is bad? C'mon! That is really low IMO. It's just a little video game and TV series (which has declined over the years). Just give it a rest.

SEE? Even a real Catholic disagrees! :D

Anti
August 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I do! If I were allowed, there would be plenty of explitives because these catholic people think Pokemon is evil. It's a TV SHOW and VIDEO GAME! Gimme a break! I googled on images "Charizard pokemon card" and I found some loser who was explaining how pokemon was evil using a charizard card as an example. I know people have a right to their own opinion, but you must take life too seriously if you think these innocent little electric mouses are evil! Many catholics aren't as religious as they say they are, believe me, so I think this is a bit hypocritical if you ask me. Pikachu used EVIL fire! Yeah right!

Myoko-chan
August 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Manaphy, why does your post seem like it's copy and pasted from wikipedia..?

Maybe because it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon#Criticism

=(

You uncovered them? Riiiiight....

Craig²
August 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'm a catholic and I flat out think the religious part is..Well..Crap. :x

And about forcing Pokemon to preform acts...Good god I'll vomit. We do this all of the time in our everday lives; example, we 'force' dogs to do certain tricks/actions. And these are just monsters in a t.v show. People who rant about Pokemon being bad in these areas literally have no lives.

By the way shaminx I read the wikipedia article and she did copy and past it although I think Manaphy meant she uncovered it on Wikipedia but Manaphy you should give them credit.

Manaphy1128
August 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Manaphy, why does your post seem like it's copy and pasted from wikipedia..?

Maybe because it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon#Criticism

=(

You uncovered them? Riiiiight....

Hello? Exactly my point of today's children and teenagers! They don't get correct word definition! Ah....

Gumball Watterson
August 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Now i know how my retarded classmates got "Pokmun IS FRM TU DVL ONG! YESTANC!", Their Crap is satanic just getting the wrong idea of pokemon.I even have the Ep in legal DVD of Holiday Hi-jinx. And i don't think it's edited. BTW, My famaly is cristian(or catholic, i don't friggin remember) and my mom hates pokemon Because "of ttYELLOW RAT1" and my dad... well just because he's a mindles, red bull zombie.As every one says

"It's just a game and anime"(quote finally claimed by me, no touching, hehehe)

Warheart
August 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Religion

I'm sorry, and I have nothing against any religion at all, but that is by far the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Anyone who takes what's in the bible that seriously should have more important things to worry about than pokemon. I mean dude, with all the crap that's going on in the world, I'm sure if Jesus came down right now, the first inference he would make on humanity is not comparing little fictional monsters to Demons O_O

It's a game. Not a Cult. I mean, it's targeted for what, 10 year old kids?

Craig²
August 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry, and I have nothing against any religion at all, but that is by far the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Anyone who takes what's in the bible that seriously should have more important things to worry about than pokemon. I mean dude, with all the crap that's going on in the world, I'm sure if Jesus came down right now, the first inference he would make on humanity is not comparing little fictional monsters to Demons O_O

It's a game. Not a Cult. I mean, it's targeted for what, 10 year old kids?

I agree.

I think people take the bible way out of context sometimes. Scratch that, they take it out of context a lot.

Anyways I agree with the basic concepts of the christian religion like the whole heaven and hell thing, the morals and all of that but..The pokemon thing...Yeesh. I leave sueing a gigantic franchise for the zealots.

We should spend less time bringing up pointless concepts such as the Pokemon discrimination issue and spend more time..Well...Helping out the environment or do something productive to benefit our planet. :x

Anti
August 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM
The religion thing...Let's just say I have a stronger opinion on that than I do light type (bad idea), and that's saying something. Since I am catholic, I hate to admit many catholics are snobs. I mean BIG snobs. Maybe they are more satanic than pokemon. Just those snobs who think they're all high and mighty because they have lots of money and are catholic. Because of that, they might need to look in the mirror. Again most catholics aren't like that but a born few are snobtronic. So hypocritical. Pokemon isn't evil, sheesh!

Gunn
August 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM
This junk is old news. My summary has already been best concluded by Ichida.

Tr@ce
August 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hello? Exactly my point of today's children and teenagers! They don't get correct word definition! Ah....

Uhm... but you're ten. >_< Meh, I don't get you sometimes...

Anti
August 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I don't get these silly religious claims sometimes either...more like all the time!

Myoko-chan
August 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Im not a teenager so...
http://blog.pbwiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/fail.jpg

Me2UJus4Free
August 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Im not a teenager so...

You're doing it wrong.

Japanese people are racist.

I've always felt that the whole racism thing was load of poo-poo, and in Tezuka's and Toriyama's defense, there are so many shade that you could do in gray scale back then. Manga artist did not have computers to get just the right shade of gray to avoid making black characters look like black face. It's also pretty pointless to attack a manga ("Metropolis") made in 60's that had blackface in it when American cartoons were still doing the exact same thing.

And that is why Cartoon Network stopped showing the Tax Avery show. :)

.Aero
August 15th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Well about the religion thing. Isn't there a game coming out on the 360 or someting called Overloard? You know that complete rip-off of Pickman so they can rate it M and sell copies to older people? You actually control little demons instead of plants or pokemon. There are three games that fall in to this category right now that I know of. This is a bunch of crap. XD

Myoko-chan
August 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM
You're doing it wrong.

And thats coming from somone whos post count is an eighth of mine.
You know what? I don't care how I say FAIL.

SilencedShooter
August 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I remember, back in the 90's...maybe 98 or 99, I was in 4th grade and this thing happened were these kids beat up another kid for a charizard card or something, and my school banned pokemon. It was ridiculous, but also funny, because this kid was selling pokemon cards secretly in school, like it was a pokemon black market.

Star★Seeker
August 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
LOL, come here and you'll laugh or vomit:http://www.crossroad.to/text/responses/Pokemon.htm

shedinjask
August 15th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I found your article to be quite shallow and close minded. The propaganda that is used at church is far more influential than that used for any collectible card game. "If you do not believe you shall burn in hell!" I just don't think that's right. An all loving god would give sanctuary to those who didn't believe in him, this Christian God you speak of is jealous, and we truly were created in his image.

On another note, God's message is just as bad as the "Gotta catch em all!" phrase. "Worship me and I'll bring you salvation!" No one has seen this salvation that so many people speak of, it's a rather moot point actually. Salvation is something that someone makes for themselves, whether it be with Christianity or Buddhism or even Satanism.

I don't know where you get off saying that one person's god is false or evil, or just trying to tempt you. It's obvious that if you post my e-mail you're going to try and twist my words or use some technicality. In one of your responses you admitted that the Dalai Lama or whatever had power, but that you didn't want to get touched by it. Why not? If God's power is great he can just bring you back... right?

What is my definition of a true Christian? Someone who believes in the God within themselves and draws strength from their will... not from some idol. They don't need websites to spread their ideals, their actions speaking louder than words ever could. And do you know who said that? Confucious.

Well, I'm off to convert Christians!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! But who knows... Emerald_Warrior sounds demonic!!

That one is my favorite. I hope they never find out about Aruseus...

.Aero
August 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I found your article to be quite shallow and close minded. The propaganda that is used at church is far more influential than that used for any collectible card game. "If you do not believe you shall burn in hell!" I just don't think that's right. An all loving god would give sanctuary to those who didn't believe in him, this Christian God you speak of is jealous, and we truly were created in his image.

On another note, God's message is just as bad as the "Gotta catch em all!" phrase. "Worship me and I'll bring you salvation!" No one has seen this salvation that so many people speak of, it's a rather moot point actually. Salvation is something that someone makes for themselves, whether it be with Christianity or Buddhism or even Satanism.

I don't know where you get off saying that one person's god is false or evil, or just trying to tempt you. It's obvious that if you post my e-mail you're going to try and twist my words or use some technicality. In one of your responses you admitted that the Dalai Lama or whatever had power, but that you didn't want to get touched by it. Why not? If God's power is great he can just bring you back... right?

What is my definition of a true Christian? Someone who believes in the God within themselves and draws strength from their will... not from some idol. They don't need websites to spread their ideals, their actions speaking louder than words ever could. And do you know who said that? Confucious.

Well, I'm off to convert Christians!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! But who knows... Emerald_Warrior sounds demonic!!

Haha, I didn't read that far. That's a good one. I think that if they do find out about Areceus they'll get really angry and write more up-tight paragraphs speaking of how demonic pokemon is. XD I'd hate it if my parents believed all this crap.

Faceless*
August 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Hm I agree with you on that one... the "highly Religious" people will complain again saying "WTF?! OMG THE CHILDREN WILL THINK HES GOD NOW!!" ... This is very similar to the first impact on Religion on Pokemon... only similar on being sucha retarded/stupid complaint.. and I seriously can't believe it's actually working... I dont know what the people were thinking at all

Shiraishi
August 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The only reason I believe in God is because the fact that the world was almost perfectly put into place for human survival without human's doing anything is strange. If gravity were to be stronger, we'd die. Lower gravity? we'd die. It's too perfect.

I think nintendo wanted mew to be god, but it was too popular back then. XD Just a wild guess.

.Aero
August 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
When I look at evolution, I think, maybe God made it so we can adapt to our surroundings. So I believe in both evolution and God. And like Cakekun said, Earth really is too perfect for humans to live on. Perfect gravity, oxygen, everything!

Manaphy1128
August 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM
What the heck? People are still posting here? I thought it would be over by now actually....

.Aero
August 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
This is a really good debate subjuct Manaphy, I'm actually glad you brought it up. It lets us pokefanatics get the steam of this subject out of our systems.

Kudos to you. XD

Manaphy1128
August 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
This is a really good debate subjuct Manaphy, I'm actually glad you brought it up. It lets us pokefanatics get the steam of this subject out of our systems.

Kudos to you. XD

um, thanks...?

i just wanted to see what people would say and now....

Anti
August 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Really, nintendo isn't trying to make kids worship a pokemon! Why...Hmm, let's see here, oh yeah! I got it!

POKEMON DON'T EXIST!

These catholics need to get a life. Sheesh! I guess black construction paper means crayola is Racist! I guess Mew/Arceus can't be a god of an imaginary game/TV series/card game because the catholics think that us at Pokecommunity are gonna start worshipping Mew! Gimme a break!

Manaphy1128
August 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Wow, you people sure have loud opinons!

About this Jynx thing.

Now it doesn't mean they hate all pokemon that are black, it's the resemblance to an actual black person they're spazzing over. Like Nintendo did it on purpose to discrimenate. But yeah, they are over reacting.

SilencedShooter
August 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Pokemon is the devil!!!

Yeah I've actually heard people say that, and one of them was my teacher. That was her actual argument. "Pokemon is the devil."
You can't say stuff like that to 4th graders...man I'm glad I only turned out a little messed up.

Manaphy1128
August 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
A teacher....?

I think that is way to far. What's next? Someone going
"Oh noes! Houndooom! My kid will make the dog fight others!"?

SBaby
August 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'll respond to the Christian part. First of all, it's not Christians that are doing that, it's Catholics. Difference.

Second, it really isn't all that unusual for religious organizations to consider something 'satanic' just due to appearance. It's been happening since I don't know when... D&D, perhaps? I remember when schools would suspend students for playing D&D because of what Catholics said about it being satanic. Not because they believed that, but because they considered it to be a religion as a result. And this caused many parents to also take such things the same way.

But the thing is, all this really does is work in reverse. Kids often make a point to go against adults, and when adults tell them not to do something, they're gonna do it. It's plain psychology. So in fact, while these religious factions may consider Pokemon and D&D to be 'satanic', all it's resulted in is increasing the fanbase of such products by making kids want to try them to see if it's true.

I don't agree that it's the devil. I can UNDERSTAND the argument. I mean, I wouldn't wanna be the deciding member on a jury or anything. But you've gotta be somewhat like that to create a franchise centered around games that repeat the same stuff over and over again, but with a different main character each time.

Manaphy1128
August 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'll respond to the Christian part. First of all, it's not Christians that are doing that, it's Catholics. Difference.

Second, it really isn't all that unusual for religious organizations to consider something 'satanic' just due to appearance. It's been happening since I don't know when... D&D, perhaps? I remember when schools would suspend students for playing D&D because of what Catholics said about it being satanic. Not because they believed that, but because they considered it to be a religion as a result. And this caused many parents to also take such things the same way.

But the thing is, all this really does is work in reverse. Kids often make a point to go against adults, and when adults tell them not to do something, they're gonna do it. It's plain psychology. So in fact, while these religious factions may consider Pokemon and D&D to be 'satanic', all it's resulted in is increasing the fanbase of such products by making kids want to try them to see if it's true.

I don't agree that it's the devil. I can UNDERSTAND the argument. I mean, you've gotta be somewhat like that to create a franchise centered around games that repeat the same stuff over and over again.

Your wrath well deserved. You actually sound the most convincing and I would and do believe you. Just don't hit me.

Myoko-chan
August 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I remember, back in the 90's...maybe 98 or 99, I was in 4th grade and this thing happened were these kids beat up another kid for a charizard card or something, and my school banned pokemon. It was ridiculous, but also funny, because this kid was selling pokemon cards secretly in school, like it was a pokemon black market.

Lol, something similar to that happened to me once, I was in grade 2 and I was playing pokemon card battle or w/e against a grade 7.(we were battling for each other's cards, I offered my Meganium card, and he offered his Entei card) I won and he gave me the Entei card, but the next day, he said he was gonna beat me up if he doesnt give it back and he'll give me a (you know..those glittering ones) shiny poliwhirl card if I didn't tell anyone, I was stupid back then, so I accepted the deal. I told my mom and my mom told my teacher and the grade 7 was sent to the principal's office. 3 Months later, pokemon cards were banned in my school =(. Then later when other card games such as Yugioh got more popular, they got banned too lol.

.Aero
August 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Hhaha, Yu-gi-oh was a biggy back at my old school. We used to play for eachother's cards, but we'd always end up giving them back because we battled with friends who we were kind to. Well the teacher found out we were playing for eachother's cards and she told us to leave them hom. They weren't ever banned, she just didn't like us learning to gamble. XD

Manaphy1128
August 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Actually, I would give out free cards I didn't need every day at my school to these two kids (Nick and Zach) that were also poke-fanatics. I did it every day and no one cared. We would trade and give and talk about Pokemon and no one cared. I don't get schools who do that.(ban cards and such)

.Aero
August 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I understand my teacher not liking them back then, gambling is a bad habit in a lot of people, so I thank her for that. I don't collect cards anymore though.

Anti
August 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Lol, something similar to that happened to me once, I was in grade 2 and I was playing pokemon card battle or w/e against a grade 7.(we were battling for each other's cards, I offered my Meganium card, and he offered his Entei card) I won and he gave me the Entei card, but the next day, he said he was gonna beat me up if he doesnt give it back and he'll give me a (you know..those glittering ones) shiny poliwhirl card if I didn't tell anyone, I was stupid back then, so I accepted the deal. I told my mom and my mom told my teacher and the grade 7 was sent to the principal's office. 3 Months later, pokemon cards were banned in my school =(. Then later when other card games such as Yugioh got more popular, they got banned too lol.

You know, I'm starting to think the ban of pokemon at our school had nothing to do with the fact it "caused a big mess." If they're soooo catholic, why are they denying little children as well as older people to express what they like??? If they're sooo catholic they wouldn't lie to us first graders (that's how old I was at the time) about why pokemon cards and games were banned??? I remember when my old buddy brought in a little pokemon thing, not quite sure what it was. Our teacher sat him down in the corner of the room and chewed him out! Then sent him to the principal! Yeah, they cause a big mess. Bull! Hypocrites!

spam
August 16th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Wow! Somebody's been hanging out on Wikipedia a whole lot.

1. Here's to everybody who thinks that the Christians/Catholics who say that "Pokemon is the devil" are crazy/insane/dumb... Get over it! Yes they thought that Pokemon was evil, but they do that to every fad that passes by, whether it's Pokemon, Yu-gi-Oh, Magic, etc and they do that to gain attention.
2. Most of those "Pokemon is the devi" web pages are almost 10 YEARS OLD!!! I highly believe that most of the people who've created those pages are over Pokemon and don't really care about it anymore because it's not as popular as it was in the late 90's.
3. My school banned Pokemon cards simply because all the kids wanted to see them and play with them. They were basically causing a distraction.
4. About Jinx... Those guys are crazy too! Jinx IS just a fictional monster and I don't think it's promoting anything against Blacks. (or African Americans for those easily offended) And plus, Ice/Pshchic powers are so cool.
5. How can Pokemon be the devil if most Japanese aren't even Cathlic/Christian, etc?

That's all I have for now...

Myoko-chan
August 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
My dad is a pastor in a chirstian church, and he said that this "pokemon is the devil" stuff is just bogus.
I'm a christian, I play pokemon at church, nobody cares.

I think it's catholics that are saying that...

Anti
August 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM
It is the catholics, not Chritians. There IS a difference. Still, pokemon is not the devil. I think the catholics have too much time on their hands or something...I kept thinking when pokemon was banned "go ruin somebody elses life, would ya?"

Gunn
August 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM
You're singling yourself out here. We're talking in general here that the Christian religion is saying that there is some Satanic-relation with Pokémon, because some people would say, "satanism" is the opposite of Christianity. As in, the average Christian would probably believe that Pokémon is of a satanic origin. Besides, it's not just the Christian religion that's saying Pokémon is evil, it's parents and other religions.

Anti
August 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Generally it is catholics, not Christians as a whole. Regardless of who it is, the claim is bogus.

Gunn
August 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Catholicism, Christianity, same thing. But yes, it's just ridiculous.

Naito
August 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Interesting topic you created Manaphy. It seems there's already a decent discussion.

Now, the reason religious zealots often complain about Pokemon being satanic is probably due to the fact they know that it's aimed at kids anywhere from 5-14, and during that time children are pretty impressonial. Now, a lot of children at that time will have have their beliefs and opinions mixed with that of Pokemon and other games, leaving them with confused views that'll make religious parents worry about them. Of course, the children's parents would want Salvation for their family and friends, so they would want to help their children.

The problem is that this became an ongoing problem and then Pokemon and other series with evolution and capturing/taming monsters to be used in battle became tagged as a threat to children's faith and beliefs, so now religious people seem to be targeting these series to protect people from being damned for enternity. After all, we're not to practice the occult, as said in various passages from the Bible, such as this:

"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9

The reason Christians, Catholics, and other religions complain about this is due to the fact they just don't want those that are very impressionable to have their beliefs mixed with those taught in anime and games such as Pokemon, as then they may unknowingly start doing things that contradict with what their God taught them in their piece of scripture.

However, what people don't understand is that by telling someone to not do something, they're just going to do it. For example, you won't tell a child not to play Pokemon due to it being Satanic, as they're going to anyways to see if it truely is (and it could influence how they act in life. On that link someone posted, wasn't there a child who worshipped Hello Kitty and Charizard due to being fanatics of the two respective series they belonged in since a toddler). Matter of fact, forcefully taking things such as TV from them will just put them in a depression of sorts, expecially if they gone through traumatic experiences and they used that as a stress reliever (and they're in my scenario where there's few active kids in my neighborhood and the few friends you can find are on the internet only). Wasn't there a child that commited suicide because he was getting bad grades and was worrying of losing his main privilages?

---

For those that don't want to read the wall of text, basically parents, religious or not, worry about how the morals taught in things such as Pokemon and Digimon will conflict with their children's life and beliefs. To Christians and Catholic people, this could mean to them that their children will face enternal damnation if they go far enough as to practice the occult things in various series such as taming creatures to fight each other (Pokemon). Though in reality, it seems the main problem is that the parents haven't bothered to try and tell their kids about the difference between fiction and reality enough for the kids to understand things such as it isn't ok to worship a mutant gazelle.

Anti
August 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Actually it isn't. There is the Roman Cartholic Church, the...I should have payed attention in school! I do know there are many different kinds of Christians. But let's not get all religious here. The point is the claim is bogus. Mewtwo is the Devil! I don't think so.

Manaphy1128
August 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I know this is a little rude to say...But reading you guys duke it out is kind of funny. Now i'm glad I made this thread.

Star★Seeker
August 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I reade the thing about the girl worshipping Hello Kitty and Charizard, LOL!!These people are basicly twisting God's word for their anti-pokemon use, only God knows if pokemon is evil.

Anti
August 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Not like it is. C'mon, satanic? That's really Farfetch'd (sorry for the bad pun).

Gunn
August 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM
There is a wide variety of beliefs in the Satanic religion. I think what most religions are aiming at is the Theistic Satanism. Or the Black Mass.

Apathetic_Yen
August 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I'm Christian and none of my family or any of my Christian friends have problems with Pokemon, and one of my friends is a pastor's kid. (well some of my friends and family call me a geek but who cares)

Stealth123
August 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I heard about them but some of it is silly..

Blaziken_Boy
August 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hurr. I think that Pokemon might've messed my brain up since I'm getting dreams of Arceus (Yes, not darkrai [phew]).

They tore up a poke doll to show it was 'der devil'. You know who I think the devil is?

Adolf Hitler. That's the only person I think should be hated like Pokemon. If this was all about 'HITLER'S THE DEVIL' I'd agree. But no, we're all too <insert rant about how we're too stupid to survive here>.

Leon K. Fox
August 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
Hey, religous people like to cuss and complain, what do you all expect?

I know I wouldn't expect any less of them

and no, I am not racist/discrimative, I have my reasons beyond this

I've heard about all this before, Jinx racist because she's black and not even the human shade of black skin?! bs

J-Rad
August 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
I don't get the relidion one at all . I'm mormon and don't. I don't recall the jynx one being banned. I remember seeing an English episode w/ jynx in the north poll.

Skymin
August 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Echhhh. Seriously. Get. A. LIFE.

Maybe SOMEONE should open their eyes and show that pokemon are not living creatures. Yes... they are BASED on living creatures, but they still arn't real! In my opinon, The Bible is based on the stories of men. No one can prove that the stories are actually the word for word life stories. Just based on them. I think... ^^"

Now some of you guys are saying that "they" will freak if they hear of Aruceus. Not necessarily. Aruceus is the god of pokemon not the god of people. And, why haven't they freaked about Groundon and Kyogre? Supposedly, they did create the sea and land. As supposedly did God, as said in the Bible, I believe.

I know of one more rumour, that'll get you guys going. Apparntly, in a pokemon song, The Pokemon Rap, playing back a part of the song, makes "I love Satan". This, is total BullS**t. It sounds nothing like it. Well, not to me. http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm (http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm) That link there has it and a few others.

Manaphy1128
August 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Um, I guess we don't have a life either since were debating how stupid this is.

In otther words, why are people still posting here? We have nothing else to do?

Skymin
August 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cause ranting is fun :3
I know you all luff it.

Scarlet Weather
August 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Maddy... um...

Don't go making claims about the Bible that you can't prove. I, for one, think you and your friend are the ones being conned here. But that's another story.

Actually, I know of at least one Pokemon fan who thinks that Jinx was quite possibly based on "blackface", a style of performance in which white actors or singers would smear their faces and hands with black shoe polish. It was pretty racist. There's no actual proof that Jinx is based on Ganguro by the way, and many of the other theories surrounding it have little or no credibility. It also doesn't entirely explain why Nintendo changed Jinx's skin instead of simply stating it was based off of Ganguro fashions. That doesn't mean the series itself is racist, it simply means that it had a racist caricature and it got rid of it. That should actually say a lot about how the series is positive. I seriously doubt that if Nintendo had intended to be racist with Pokemon that they still would have changed Jinx's skin.

Moving on, I don't have a problem with Pokemon and Arceus because Arceus isn't a real being. But enough of that. There isn't anything inherently wrong with playing Pokemon according to the Bible. (I'm serious here, there are quite a few verses in the Pauline epistles that outline Christian liberty. While the issue that he wrote to deal with was Christians eating food that had been sacrificed to idols after God made foods that had previously been ceremonially unclean A-OK, it can be applied to any controversy. The basic message? "You can do what you want, as long as it doesn't violate God's law or drive a wedge between you and your [spiritual] brother.")

Moving on from that, I'd like to point out that a lot of this controversy has blown over. People aren't complaining about it as much as they used to since Pokemon is no longer popular. Guess they won't rant unless they're getting their fifteen minutes of fame from it, eh?

Skymin
August 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Maddy... um...

Don't go making claims about the Bible that you can't prove. I, for one, think you and your friend are the ones being conned here. But that's another story.

Oh, hi ACC. :3 Long time no see?

Isn't the Bible a list of stories from different men? I'm Christian, and I've read a kid's bible before. And the saying isn't really supposed to offensive, if it is. His wife was Christian, and he was kinda neutral... Ehh, I shouldn't've said it in the first place. I'll go edit it...

Moving on from that, I'd like to point out that a lot of this controversy has blown over. People aren't complaining about it as much as they used to since Pokemon is no longer popular. Guess they won't rant unless they're getting their fifteen minutes of fame from it, eh?

Mm. But everyone loves a rant and someone to listen to it. I wouldn't say it's no longer popular. I'd think more popular, but some might be trying to concentrate to finish the game, then to pick at the "flaws". Perhaps they only complain to earn a extra dollar or two. Unless, of course, it was serious. Such as the Polygon Episode.

Scarlet Weather
August 25th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Isn't the Bible a list of stories from different men? I'm Christian, and I've read a kid's bible before. And the saying isn't really supposed to offensive, if it is. His wife was Christian, and he was kinda neutral... Ehh, I shouldn't've said it in the first place. I'll go edit it...

((That quote doesn't sound all that neutral to me...))

The Bible was written by many different people, yes, but they were all divinely inspired by God, so there's really only one Author when it comes down to it. I'd also like to point out that every single one of those men, despite the fact that some of them lived hundreds of years apart and even wrote in different languages from each other, always agreed on every single major issue the Bible deals with. That alone states that if it's a compilation, it's definitely a danged good 'un, such as there will never be again. Anyway, my point was that it grants certain liberties, and it doesn't contradict itself in granting them.

As to your comment on Pokemon's popularity, it has a lot of closet fans but it is no longer the huge craze it once was. For the most part, the fad is gone. All that's left are the people like us who actually liked the series for itself.

spam
August 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Moving on from that, I'd like to point out that a lot of this controversy has blown over. People aren't complaining about it as much as they used to since Pokemon is no longer popular. Guess they won't rant unless they're getting their fifteen minutes of fame from it, eh?That's exactly what I said earlier only worded differently.

We should just let this thread die because it's pretty useless complaining about something that happened 10 years ago.

Deokishisu
August 25th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I'm a Roman Catholic, and every Catholic I know thinks Pokemon is A-OK. I honestly think that (and I'm not being racist or prejudice about other religions mind you) that alot of it is Catholic denominatons. My parish, and others in my area have no problem with Pokemon, so naturally, I think the majority of Catholics don't either. However, I've been to a couple of my friend's churches (who are members of Catholic denominations) and asked the leaders of those churches about this issue and they had many reasons why Pokemon was evil and how it goes against the scripture etc. etc. So basically, I really don't know why this is being thrown at the Catholics so much when, for the most part, we really don't care whether or not someone likes Pokemon nor do we think it's evil.

Xairmo
September 16th, 2007, 12:44 PM

OMG!! that is by far the funniest thing i have ever read!! and u make a very good point as well

airconditioning
September 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Since this topic is apparently undead...

Racisim:

Meh, someone's pulling the race card. It seems that everyone needs something to whine about. Or maybe just the ones who are published.

Religion

I remember back in second grade, a few of my friends got together to play Pokemon cards. Last thing I remember, we were using someone's cat for a ritualistic sacrifice in the name of Mewtwo, our One Lord and Savior. Freaky stuff.

Health

I actually saw that episode. It was friggin' epic. On a brighter note, that's 635 kids who aren't fielding legendaries in Battle Rev.

J-Rad
September 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Since this topic is apparently undead...

Meh, someone's pulling the race card. It seems that everyone needs something to whine about. Or maybe just the ones who are published.

I remember back in second grade, a few of my friends got together to play Pokemon cards. Last thing I remember, we were using someone's cat for a ritualistic sacrifice in the name of Mewtwo, our One Lord and Savior. Freaky stuff.

I actually saw that episode. It was friggin' epic. On a brighter note, that's 635 kids who aren't fielding legendaries in Battle Rev.

ur religion thingy scars me, yeah i saw the poorygon1 too got real dizzy at the missle part an dimmediatly turned it off...:(

Bishopk
September 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM

You too?
Wait... no... we were sacrificing to Pinsir.
Never mind.

Anti
September 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM
This thread is still alive? Wow. Anyways, my obnly real problem is that these catholics (I'm one of them) are so hypocritical it isn't even funny. I mean, I know catholics who are all studying the bible, and the next thing you know they are starting false rumors, being bad people overall, and just going against the bible...so why should we listen to the people who are like that rant about stuff they do? Exactly...did that make sense? I mean, there are catholics who are wonderfuyl people, but some are just...so they have no case againat pokemon...had to rant a bit there, cause I have no life.

MyNameMeansForest
September 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I feel like saying a bunch of not so nice words I won't post here.

1. The racism thing. Yes, racism is bad and I hate racists. Still, I didn't make the connection between black people and Jynx until I read it on the Internet somewhere else. Chill, people, chill. You probably won't notice it unless you're really looking something to criticize or someone tells you. One of my friends is black. He likes Pokemon. Has nothing against Jynz. (His pokemon are nowhere powerful or rare as mine though, ha ha.)

2. I'm Christian, and I don't feel offended. A lot people at my church don't feel offended. It's a video game. Not real life. Even my pastor isn't offended. Only the Christians who belive everything is bad (movies, TV, video games, etc.) think that. Chill, people.

3. I think this is one is pretty good. Seizures are bad. However, when is TV good for your health at all? Or hamburgers or fries or the computer or whatever? And they actually removed that episode in other countries, even though they could've painted over it.

Just chill. Some people take things too seriously.

Anti
September 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I feel like saying a bunch of not so nice words I won't post here.

1. The racism thing. Yes, racism is bad and I hate racists. Still, I didn't make the connection between black people and Jynx until I read it on the Internet somewhere else. Chill, people, chill. You probably won't notice it unless you're really looking something to criticize or someone tells you. One of my friends is black. He likes Pokemon. Has nothing against Jynz. (His pokemon are nowhere powerful or rare as mine though, ha ha.)

2. I'm Christian, and I don't feel offended. A lot people at my church don't feel offended. It's a video game. Not real life. Even my pastor isn't offended. Only the Christians who belive everything is bad (movies, TV, video games, etc.) think that. Chill, people.

3. I think this is one is pretty good. Seizures are bad. However, when is TV good for your health at all? Or hamburgers or fries or the computer or whatever? And they actually removed that episode in other countries, even though they could've painted over it.

Just chill. Some people take things too seriously.

You pretty much summed it up. At least no one really cares anymore since ipods are more popular than pokemon.

Xairmo
September 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM
um...for people to get so upset over a game just blows my mind. there a re so much more important things that people should be protesting but pokemon isnt one of them. there is no subliminal message behind pokemon that promotes racism or tells people to go against there faith and anyone who believes there is is just being silly. people today should be using there time to stop real racism, the kind u see everyday. and also world hunger and the war and iraq. to sit around complaining that pokemon is destroying ur kids is pointless and u should be spending ur time more productively