PDA

View Full Version : The Poet's Ballad

Richard Lynch
August 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I wrote this quite a while ago for FictionPress.com, where I saw that stupid three line haikus were getting more hits and comments than my apparently well-thought out, longer poems that actually rhymed.

My exact description of the poem I wrote when I posted it is:

"My satiric attack on 'recreational' poetry, the pseudo-poets who author them, and the fallacies of both", if that gives you any idea of what exactly it's about.

I call it:

The Poet's Ballad
(or: 'Clickety-Clackity-Cling')

Nine out of ten sit around with a pen
Then all but nine come out and sing
The others there just sit down in their chair
Singing clickety-clackity-cling

To be a poet and not yet know it
Can make someone feel like a king
But it's easy to rhyme, it takes no time
Sing clickety-clackity-cling

And then some confess their hope, what a mess
That they wish they had death to bring
Depressed they may be (or stupid, you see)

But then you hear more, the others implore
They write with a purpose on wing
Deep meaning to think, no where near the brink

The ones on the fence who do not make sense
Their poems they wrote on a swing
It's fun to pander, and then meander

Some feelings write more, the verses obscure
Emotion laid out in a string
And if they don't rhyme, I haven't got time

And then these haikus, they're widely known news
The authors can't help sharing
But it takes no sweat to write these, I bet

A few, I admit, go into a fit
Their love they express on a fling
It's their taste for sap, which ends with a slap

Any person can write without a plight
Pseudo-poems without a sting
But while they have failed, they are to be hailed

This little song I refuse to prolong
You're on the verge of not caring
A poet you may be if you will stay
And sing clickety-clackity-cling

(PS: Bonus points for anyone who can name the type of poetry each stanza is about, minus the first two and last two stanzas)

oni flygon
August 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'm too lazy to figure out which type of poetry is which, but yeah... >>

Anyway, it's a creative ballad, since I don't see a lot of satire nowadays. Much of the "poems" I see are about breaking up or cutting or being depressed, etc. But yeah, having a commentary on all of that sure makes me a little bit more optimistic about this forum... XD

Can't really critique it since you obviously adhered to a certain style, but incorporating different styles into one piece, is pretty much a really creative way of condescendingly insulting other "poets".

Good job.

Scarlet Weather
August 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
It's an interesting poem, but it's not a ballad in the traditional sense of the word. In the words of Edmond Rostand in his play "Cyrano de Bergerac", "A ballade is a poem consisting of four eight-line stanzas with a four-line refrain at the end". (Correct me if I'm wrong there.)

Ouch. I happen to like Haiku, so I write it occasionally, but it isn't as easy as it seems to both capture the image needed as well as make the haiku stand out while still adhering to the 5-7-5 line rule. Writing a mediocre haiku is easy. Writing a great one requires a lot of effort. I've never written a poem, haiku or otherwise, I'd consider great.

Nevertheless, I find your critique on other poems fun. Your poem has a spark that I don't often see, especially on this forum. How can I say it? Reading most poems here is like walking into a dark room where a bunch of clones are sitting around cutting themselves. Reading yours was like walking into that same room along with a guy who's pretending to pay attention to them while subtly slapping "Kick me" notes on their back. Yep, this was a treat.

oni flygon
August 27th, 2007, 07:08 AM
It's an interesting poem, but it's not a ballad in the traditional sense of the word. In the words of Edmond Rostand in his play "Cyrano de Bergerac", "A ballade is a poem consisting of four eight-line stanzas with a four-line refrain at the end". (Correct me if I'm wrong there.)

Actually, there's a difference between a ballad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad) and a ballade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballade).

Ballad is a form of songwriting or song while a ballade is a form of French verse writing, thus your reference from Cyrano de Bergerac.

Scarlet Weather
August 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Oh...

*is embarassed*

Either way, great poem.

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
August 27th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Nice ballad, Steel. I don't really find myself too interested in haikus either, and I also relate to this poem's meaning. Nice rhythm; well, in contrast with your singular diction.

edit: btw, I love ballades.