PDA

View Full Version : Ever been bullied/teased for liking Pokemon?

Leon K. Fox
August 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Okay, this may seem like a very odd question to ask, but where I live in the UK...being into Pokemon by the time I got into secondary school wasn't too hot, I got bullied beyond beleif for a whole variety of reasons, but in Year 7 this was one of the main ones, as for some unknown reason, the fact it wasn't common made it so beyond wrong to like it and it was "Old" "Soo last millienium nerd!" "babyish!" etc, and it drove me to the point of insanity (it was why I went out of Pokemon for quite a few years)

I was wondering if others had similar experiences?

Rinji
August 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Heh, when I was in 3rd grade and pokemon had just become EXTREMELY popular, I was bullied like crazy for not knowing anything about it :P Then, a couple of years later, I was an absolute pokemon fanatic, and was bullied just as much for liking it! XD

Children are crazy, crazy things. :P

Barboach
August 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Eh, I'm still bullied for liking it. So now I try not to tell anyone I like it in my school. :/

Leon K. Fox
August 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't know about the pig dung ignorant way the teen world worked, as in Year 6 everyone went crazy when the first Pokemon Movie came out here, but in Year 7 I...yeah...I learned some horrible but true lessons about humans and acceptance that year...

Wish
August 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah Unfortunately,

Five years ago EVERYONE of my friends liked it. Then two years later it started getting old. So we started to stop talking about it. Then one year later, my friend teased me for playing it. It was harsh. Right now, I play it secretly. My best friend In Real Life likes as well, so we keep it a secret to ourselves now. We still do Wi-fi battles often. It's too bad everybody has to keep it a secret to everybody. I have to tell him in secret about stuff. I hope someone stands up for us and tell the people who tease us, tells them off.

Leon K. Fox
August 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, we're becoming the Who fans of the 90's in school it would seem...(before DW came back in 2005...yeah...)

Rinji
August 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Right now, I hang out with the 'geeks' who like most video games :P So we all play pokemon..

Anti
August 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...

Rinji
August 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...

Amen. :/

Everyone seems to be such a hypocrite these days.

Manaphy1128
August 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Sometimes...

It was bad last year when I drew and talked about Pokemon. The weirdest comment was something about marrying Pikachu...I know...

And then when I was in Kindegarden-1st grade, I got bullied sometimes because everyone said Pokemon was for boys and they all called me freak.

Katalyst
August 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I would get bullied if all my classmates knew I like Pokemon. Here in Portugal it isn't popular around the teenagers. So, when they watch me playing it, I tell them that the reason is "so I don't wander around doing nothing", but really it is better than doing nothing XD. Few guys yell at me because they say Pokemon is for kids.

pokejungle
August 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
My sister teases me. I don't think it matters what people are into though~

It's sad that people can't just respect each others' hobbies.

Ausaudriel
August 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Lots of people do. Surprisingly, I never did. o.o

When I was in 7th grade (in public school), though, I used to play all day between classes and during lunch. Eventually, other people who played as well would start to talk to me about it and we'd play together, and after a while like, most of our grade were pulling out their old RBY/GSC versions and playing too. xD It was fun. I think a lot more people (even older people) like the games a lot, but the anime is so kiddish and awful that it really gives the entire Pokemon franchise a bad name.

For the people who get bullied about it: at least there's PokeCommunity. :3

Rellyms
August 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM
i've never been teased i mean my older sister ask why do i play it but i really dont care what people say about me its not like my rep in school is gonna go down I learned that many people in my school still play it so im not alone im turning 15 this year and still play infact im getting pokemon revolution 2 weeks from now on my B-day

Me2UJus4Free
August 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I've never been teased, but if I do, I'd pick on the person because they like Naruto, which is more or less babyish than Pokemon.

PoisonOwnzYou
August 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Amen to all of you. I totally agree, if people learned that I liked pokemon then they would probably make me an outcast. Even my dad is pretty harsh about it, I almost completely gave up on it because my own dad ragged on me for liking something. Sometimes he can be so childish.

Shiraishi
August 20th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I just tell the immature ppl that their opinion means nothing :/

Leon K. Fox
August 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM

Amen to that, as Rinji said

teenagers tend to be the worst for respecting people's hobbies, it's all about "being normal" (define that please?)

to be honest it would feel so shallow, being into Pokemon just while it's "in" and then just dumping it, same with anything

Anti
August 21st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Amen to that, as Rinji said

teenagers tend to be the worst for respecting people's hobbies, it's all about "being normal" (define that please?)

to be honest it would feel so shallow, being into Pokemon just while it's "in" and then just dumping it, same with anything

That's why buying ipods to be cool is a waste, and listening to trashy songs to be cool. Trends change so fast, and teens are unforgiving if you're no "cool." Really annoying, but maybe I'll open up and basically call them the children for being so judgmental. I thought a hooby was something you liked to do, not the cool thing to do. *points at username* now you understand my username a bit more...why be hatin' pokemon? Very difficult (wifi battles, not ingame).

Leon K. Fox
August 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
I thought a hooby was something you liked to do, not the cool thing to do. *points at username*

what's a hooby? :P

But yes, I got so sick of that feeling in secondary school, that I was always doing something wrong in a load of people's eyes because seriously, football and R&B were to say quite popular where I live in the UK

Also, how am I a nerd when some of these guys collect football cards? Oh wait, that can't be nerdy, it's football!

(I mean UK football, or soccer)

Random
August 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM
I've was and has been teased and criticized for liking and playing pokemon too, and you know, i still play it without a care what others think, because i think what comes from the teasing, is people ridicule from what they watched from the anime at the time especially the old episodes. And if anything pops up with Pokemon to people in general, the first thing that will come to peoples minds is "Ash and pikachu" sadly, not just the gaming, theres more to pokemon then meets the eye. Though occasionally i do see people bring their old GBC handhelds in my school to play old RBYGSC games, i say people are just vague and trying to hide themselves from the fact they liked pokemon in the past, so they tease others to move away from that, cause they think its childish, and not within the trend, but in the end they were just trying to conceal their personality and being very insecure about it. So don't let it bother you too much, cause i think the ones that tease you, actually do like it themselves. But the only thing people FEAR is FEAR themselves. So it does happen from time to time.

Leon K. Fox
August 21st, 2007, 01:36 AM
I've was and has been teased and criticized for liking and playing pokemon too, and you know, i still play it without a care what others think, because i think what comes from the teasing, is people ridicule from what they watched from the anime at the time especially the old episodes. And if anything pops up with Pokemon to people in general, the first thing that will come to peoples minds is "Ash and pikachu" sadly, not just the gaming,

why say that? I loved the older episodes of the anime, just as much as I do the games...

yes it is a kid's show but so? though...I think in some ways I see your point, awesome anime but pig dung ignorant teenagers watch a few seconds and suddenly know everything about Pokemon *sarcasm*

Random
August 21st, 2007, 01:52 AM
why say that? I loved the older episodes of the anime, just as much as I do the games...

yes it is a kid's show but so? though...I think in some ways I see your point, awesome anime but pig dung ignorant teenagers watch a few seconds and suddenly know everything about Pokemon *sarcasm*

Im not saying theres anything wrong with the older episodes, its just the way things are, or at least the way i see things because it just seems thats where everyone picks up on it as the core where they pick on you mentally, but its just like you said arrogant teens/adults watch it and don't know anything about at all, because of what they see, they don't know.

-Sonic~Boom-
August 21st, 2007, 02:52 AM
Yep, I get teased for liking it...

QuizMaster
August 21st, 2007, 03:30 AM
It's tough being at school. When you're an adult you get to choose who you work with. Not so at school.

The hive mind of the playground situation generates a remarkable uniformity of opinion, dress, hobbies, etc. If you don't fit in with the pattern, you will probably be singled out and bullied. There's nothing unique about Pokemon in this regard. You could equally well be interested in some other niche such as science, poetry, chess, dance, or whatever.

The thing to bear in mind is that it is those who dare to be different that make real changes in the world. The bullies will end up as shallow men, contributing nothing and being forgotten.

Leon K. Fox
August 21st, 2007, 03:56 AM
It's tough being at school. When you're an adult you get to choose who you work with. Not so at school.

The hive mind of the playground situation generates a remarkable uniformity of opinion, dress, hobbies, etc. If you don't fit in with the pattern, you will probably be singled out and bullied. There's nothing unique about Pokemon in this regard. You could equally well be interested in some other niche such as science, poetry, chess, dance, or whatever.

You make good points, but for me Pokemon was a particulary big one, outside of Sonic it was in relation to interests the worst period of bullying I ever received, I got some for Doctor Who, but the show's failry popular so that saved me a little bit of greif on that one, but none for Pokemon and Sonic at all.

It confused me at first, everyone was bringing their Pokemon cards in like mobile/cell phones in Year 6, I come into Year 7...everything's totally changed, I didn't get the world of teenagers and to be honest...5 years later I still don't

Rebellious Treecko
August 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
No, but I've heard a lot of people talk about how dumb Pokemon is because it's an anime, or by some other stupid reasons.

Ho-oh arabia
August 21st, 2007, 05:46 AM
i keep getting dumped on and bullied because i like pokemon and star wars.I attacked a kid one time because he really piss*d me off.didn't end pretty as he happend to be a popular idiot guy.his posse took all out on me and one other of my friends.

Leon K. Fox
August 21st, 2007, 05:49 AM
i keep getting dumped on and bullied because i like pokemon and star wars.I attacked a kid one time because he really piss*d me off.didn't end pretty as he happend to be a popular idiot guy.his posse took all out on me and one other of my friends.

Yeah...kids like to play gangs alot, stupid hyenas...

they ask for it alot of the time too

In case you didn't notice I have a deep hatred of other teenagers.

spam
August 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM
I've been made fun of all the time for playing Pokemon, but there's enough people at my school that play it too so I don't really care.

Occaisionally I'll see somebody playing one of the older Pokemon games, but with the popularity of the DS, I see lots of people playing D/P all the time.

J-Rad
August 21st, 2007, 06:02 AM
It happened to me in elementry shcool, but I gave everyone the idea I "left it" and I still like it in secret only my best friend (that also likes it) knows that I do.http://pokecommunity.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Shiraishi
August 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM
GAH, I failed a test to get into a good school(BY 3 POINTS)Great, here comes the bullying.

Leon K. Fox
August 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM
Sorry to hear that...:/ Hope you do okay though

just don't let anyone get an idea you don't like trying to be normal, don't like being a jackass, and you'll be fine.

But back to the subject of Pokemon, how is it any more childish than some other things? some teenage girls had Pooh socks on, I wore no Pokemon stuff and still got it worse! How unfair is that!

Azonic
August 21st, 2007, 06:21 AM
lol, I have. But I just kick them in the throat for saying it.

a ha ha, good times.

0.0; but I got in trouble. but it was funny, they nearly cried. lol

Ho-oh arabia
August 21st, 2007, 06:23 AM
because of my love of pokemon,i tried my hardest to get into Center for Information Technology, and i did.So,maybe i can do something with pokemon for a project....

shalashaska
August 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM
im out of school i finished last year so bullying isnt a problem for me, but if i was still at scholl i would probably get bullied a bit, i wouldnt care i would just tell them "yeh whatever, go be a emo or some other trend thats hot nowadays" pokemon pearl has been the first pokemon game i have played in about 5 years!!! the last game i played was crystal, every now and then i talk to my mates at work and there like, is the nintendo DS good?? cause i wanna try the new pokemon game" (cue looking around so they make sure no one popular is looking or hearing) i tell them that i play it and that its very good, hell i told my friend who was a former pokemon fan and all he did was laugh and say "oh god" i told him "what mario getting a bit boring now". even my parents asked, "why are you playing that kids game your 18??" i just look at them and say" no, why?? is it a crime to play a kids game? no it isnt, its a fun game to play and i dont care what other ppl think or say" now i still have my pokemon cards in my cupboard even though i wanted to sell them but couldnt gather the courage too, i still have every single one i had, even the ancient Mew, and promo dark chameleon that was insode kraft cheese slices in australia, just thinking of the old days bring bang cool memories, after i get a fulltime job i mihgt start collecting the cards again, hell maybe i will have a few card battles with my bro.

i dont care if ppl call me a child just because i play pokemon, to tell you the truth i spent $120 on a transformers G1 cartoon boxset containing 17 dvd's and then i went out and bought the original cartoon movie for another $30, does that make me a kid or a nerd no way it makes me a person who likes the Stuff that WAS popular.

remember kids just cause you play pokemon, watch transformers, read comics or whatever. it doesnt make you a nerd or a kid, it makes you a person who likes older etertainment and it makes everyone else a idiot for not understanding

~Mithos~
August 21st, 2007, 06:49 AM
well I lost half my friends at zchool because I used to play runescape, if they knew I was part of a pokemon community where you could trade and battle online i'd be the source of all jokes.

Tina
August 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM
I feel really sorry for all of you. I'm very open about my enjoyment for Pokemon. I'm not screaming it on the mountaintops, but when I want to pull out my DS and start playing, I don't feel uncomfortable to do so.

I'm a college student, and no one looks at me differently. A few of my friends play Pokemon, and actually, my best friend and I were trading at work and we had people coming up to us confessing how they play but in secret.

I think if you don't make a big deal about it, no one else will. If someone starts making fun of you for it, ignore it or just say things like, "You know, I really can't focus on this battle with your comments at the moment." The second you try to defend yourself or "explain" why you still play Pokemon, you've let them win.

I don't know, maybe it's because I just don't care what people think, and that's why I'm not so affected by this. I don't think you should hide what you like to do.

Ho-oh arabia
August 21st, 2007, 07:14 AM
yeah,cause u collage people are supposed to be mature right?not everbody in middleschool/highschool is mature like us.

Azonic
August 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM
I'm not mature :D

I have a lot of pokemon loving friends. And a lot that aren't. They don't care about what I like and what I don't. It doesn't matter.

I have many friends(and many enemies too, and I kick their throat :D)

ピクシー
August 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM
I remember in 1999/2000 Pokemon was Popular. Eventually it got "out of fashion" but I kept liking it, just in secret. Then when I started my college course I found all my classmates like it too. n.n I'm lucky I guess.

kyogre12
August 21st, 2007, 09:19 AM
Most of my friends like pokemon but some people that are not my friends might tease me but I just ignore them. Suprisingly lots of people still like pokemon alot but are not willing to admit it.

Tutwiglup
August 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
ive been teased for liking it from time to time but most people know the first 150 pokemon from when everone liked it anyway so most people are cool with it so i dont really get a hard time

QuizMaster
August 21st, 2007, 10:55 AM
Tina's comment is bang on I think. A lot of bullying in school occurs because the bullies are insecure. A lot of them have difficult home lives or were themselves bullied at a younger age. As you get to meet people who are more 'mature' i.e. more secure about themselves you'll find less bullying. Unfortunately, bullying isn't completely absent from the adult world as there are very many insecure adults. The difference is that you have more choice over whom you associate with.

GOPgabe
August 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Ha. Never, most of the populars and gangsters play Pokemon. I saw a 35 year old at gamestop playing it.

Tutwiglup
August 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
i have to say quizmaster, well said. Thing is though altough commonnly bullying happes because the bullies are insecure, its the ones that know exactly what they are doing that are the trouble. and im all up for individuality, people that single others out for daring to dress differently or like things that are seen as childish disgusts me slightly theyre jus making themselves feel better. did i just contradict myself?

C Sherbii S
August 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
I used to play Pokemon at school and no one really cared, actually I got thought of as being sort of cool for playing a game that people got made fun of for playing. I dared to be myself and it worked out. I don't play at school anymore though.

Tina
August 22nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
yeah,cause u collage people are supposed to be mature right?

Maturity has nothing to do with self-confidence.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
I haven't been bullied or teased because i liked Pkmn. To tell you the truth I put fear into people so probably thats why. I still Play Pokemon and still buy there merchandise for example stuff animals

:t354:TG

Apathetic_Yen
August 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I used to keep it a secret that I liked Pokemon, but I found out some of my friends (who are liked by just about everyone in school) liked it also so I wasn't afraid to say anyhting. But yah, people call me a Pokemon-freak and I just laugh at them and say 'I prefer to be called Pokemon Master' :cool:

Pikachu.exe
August 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
When I was at about 8 years old, I changed schools. There people started calling me 'Pikachu', and asking me things like "Hey, Pikachu, are you going to use a Thundershock today?" (in Brazil, Thunderbolt's and Thundershock's names are the same). It was really annoying. Today, I play my Diamond at school, and people ask things like that "Thiago (my name), do you like Pokémon?" something like that. There is also my teacher's son who plays Fire Red and always wants my advices, and ask things like "Do you have a Gyarados?", "Do have a Pikachu?", "How do I get into Stage 4?" (he doesn't understand pokémon is like an RPG).

Sweet Candace
August 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I have been bullied, but not for liking Pokemon

Tangerine Fox
August 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
...Thinking back, I haven't ever really been bulied, period. Most people I know IRL aren't huge Pokemon fans, or even really into animanga/video games, but it's never been much of an issue. |D

Chibaymega12
August 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
well, i wasnt quite bullied or anything in those extemeties, by teased yes. Sometimes, when i feel comfortable around a group of friends, and there discussing video games or something of that nature, i usualy bring up pokemon, some are like "cool! Bet you can't beat me" some just don't care either, kinda thinking, "it's there life, they might as well have fun, as nerdy or stupid as it may be..." and some, the teasers are like: "you frigin nerd! What are you? Like five? So stupid, wait til (insert name here) gets a load of this!" and they don't seem to let it go on for about a month then stop. So yeah, but it's not too bad.

Yuukihime
August 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Yes I have been bullied for my love of Pokemon. People would spread rumours about me and my friend because we both like pokemon. The rumours turned into many things and me and my friend were mocked aaallll year. It actually hurt and it lowered my self-confidence a little bit.They would go hey pokegirl still a little kid liking pokemon and call me other things.It almost got physical I was threatned alot, but on matter what I couldn't stop liking pokemon its jsut not fair ya know? So many kids are bullied because they like pokemon. I am always thinking "why do you bully kids with there own likes?" i';m probably going to get bullied this year but Imma learn to tell em off. Seriously though there is no need to tease someoner for their like of pokemon. Although somehow through it all I made several friends who liked pokemon and thats what kept me happy throughout the year ^-^. But I guess some kids aren;t as lucky =/

I just wanna know whats so wrong with liknig pokemon although your still a teenager? Its just unfair so many people are forced out of their love for pokemon just because they are getting bullied/teased.

The best thing I did was...(thank gosh I did this) I told my prents and this led to a looong chain of events that stopped it.

I stuck through it but it still hurts to think about it. Verbbal abuse still hurts even if you try and ignore it.

Anti
August 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yes I have been bullied for my love of Pokemon. People would spread rumours about me and my friend because we both like pokemon. The rumours turned into many things and me and my friend were mocked aaallll year. It actually hurt and it lowered my self-confidence a little bit.They would go hey pokegirl still a little kid liking pokemon and call me other things.It almost got physical I was threatned alot, but on matter what I couldn't stop liking pokemon its jsut not fair ya know? So many kids are bullied because they like pokemon. I am always thinking "why do you bully kids with there own likes?" i';m probably going to get bullied this year but Imma learn to tell em off. Seriously though there is no need to tease someoner for their like of pokemon. Although somehow through it all I made several friends who liked pokemon and thats what kept me happy throughout the year ^-^. But I guess some kids aren;t as lucky =/

I just wanna know whats so wrong with liknig pokemon although your still a teenager? Its just unfair so many people are forced out of their love for pokemon just because they are getting bullied/teased.

The best thing I did was...(thank gosh I did this) I told my prents and this led to a looong chain of events that stopped it.

I stuck through it but it still hurts to think about it. Verbbal abuse still hurts even if you try and ignore it.

Well, I agree. I just keep it secret. I've learned to become good at it...

bgt
August 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Lmao, speaking of this, I was browsing PC about 2 years ago before I had CSA status and I had the Yellow Pichu theme, and this uber fat kid is like, Greg's over there on a pokemon forum. Then I reply back with, you need to get your fat <insert word> on some weight watchers and stop watching me on forums, and a few people busted out laughing. </random>.

So, to not go off-topic, I guess I was teased that time, but I was still rofling for like 10 mins after that moment. Every now and then someone will ask me what I do as a hobby and I'll say run a site, they'll ask the genre, I'll say Pocket Monsters, they'll say, whats Pocket Monsters, I'll say Pokémon, and then they'll either give me a weird look or say they'll check it out.

From what I've seen, most people are generally only ridiculed if you watch the Dub and/or wear the apparel. I haven't seen one person, at least in my experience, say anything about the games personally.

I play the games personally myself and I'm 19, however, I do stay away from any apparel, watching the dub, and any public events. I don't want to look like a dork wearing a Pikachu shirt, lmao.

EvilWii
August 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
ever one still plays if i play so now (im the leader)

Yuukihime
August 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Lmao, speaking of this, I was browsing PC about 2 years ago before I had CSA status and I had the Yellow Pichu theme, and this uber fat kid is like, Greg's over there on a pokemon forum. Then I reply back with, you need to get your fat <insert word> on some weight watchers and stop watching me on forums, and a few people busted out laughing. </random>.

So, to not go off-topic, I guess I was teased that time, but I was still rofling for like 10 mins after that moment. Every now and then someone will ask me what I do as a hobby and I'll say run a site, they'll ask the genre, I'll say Pocket Monsters, they'll say, whats Pocket Monsters, I'll say Pokémon, and then they'll either give me a weird look or say they'll check it out.

From what I've seen, most people are generally only ridiculed if you watch the Dub and/or wear the apparel. I haven't seen one person, at least in my experience, say anything about the games personally.

I play the games personally myself and I'm 19, however, I do stay away from any apparel, watching the dub, and any public events. I don't want to look like a dork wearing a Pikachu shirt, lmao.

Yeah these aren't the only reasons I am teased but they mainly knew because I brang my ds to school and play pokemon diamond version whiel I'm waiting for class to start lol. I really don't care anymore. Now I'm being called a "lezbian" or something because me and my friend have the exact same schedule its just dumb. Tehir the children not me. Ridiculing people for their own self gain. Pitiful truly pitiful.

Craig²
August 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I've never been bullied before, really. And the only thing I was ever teased for was liking Naruto, which was minor, because I didn't really care. I keep my D/P obsession to myself. That way I don't get teased for liking that kind of thing. Aside from myself, only one other person knows about my Pocket Monsters lide. I just..Keep it to myself. Gah I keep a lot of things to myself these days.

Kyaru-san
August 25th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Teased, yes
Bullied, No
Well I think they would think I like it bcuz I'm Japanese American but still they cannot say anything about liking Pokemon and If they like other Kid anime show. I mean Pokemon is by mean the Popular of all. But in America I think they go harsh on it, like Anti-Pokemon crew, hah. Those are the people who like kiddies stuff like Barneys and friends and etc. So I really dont care what they think of me because I like Pokemon, I mean if you like Ice Cream will you grow out of it b'cuz you're older and you think that for kids? Noo! I like Ice Cream...neway, I like pokemon and they cant do anything about it. But if they ever think about bulling me Hah let them try....

Pikachu2007
August 25th, 2007, 06:15 AM
I remember a few years back I kept getting chewed on by my peers just for liking Pokemon. At least now, it seems my generation doesn't do that as some people my age are starting to get back into Pokemon, so now, I'm in an okay situation. :)

Just Darth
August 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I live in UK and mostly my friends dont know except one who plays themselves and I have lots of hints in and around my room like the pocket monsters 2007 calendar from japan I find it funny and so do they but except pika supposibly have no clue who the others are?

I havent been bullied or teased to a big extent but was so close when by accident we were talking about pkmn when this gay person came up and exclaimed it but no one luckily believed him.

Personally I play secretly but I think so do some of my friends and I dont think I would lose many friends if I told everyone 'cos most of my friends just dont care but I would defo get bullied by everyone else. some of my friends also like strange cartoons like me such as Ed, Edd and Eddy and The Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy!

Hikari318
August 26th, 2007, 01:17 AM
When I was younger (from, what? 12 to 15/16?), I used to keep it secret. Now I don't care anymore. Actually, I'm proud of my Pokemania! =D

Anyway, when I was in 5th grade (16~17 yrs old [yeah, school systems are different everywhere, so...]), there were some elementary school students (so, 10~11) that somehow learned that I liked Pokemon (don't ask me how...), and they started to make fun of me, calling me "baby", "Pikachu" etc
Everyday they waited for me, and everyday they did that. What they didn't know, though, is that my friend and I stopped near their spot and just wait there and listen to them to laugh beteween ourselves at their stupidity XD
That was cool.

But something that I loved when I went to Japan, is how students openly talked about it during class etc or even played in the streets. I mean, they were at least 17, but no one made fun of them for that. And girls like to draw Pikachu on blackboards =D
I love Japan!

Allen K.
August 26th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I got teased, because I was playing the card game and playing to the game.
So now I'm just like hiding this, I don't really cares about theese guys saying it's for babies.

My best moment, was 3 years ago, a guy kept teasing me by saying "He likes Pokemon and Mario games, he is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥!", and one day he was saying "Hu, my parents doesn't allow me to play counter strike, they're saying it's too violent...." so I told him "You know, they're just like you, they can't accept other people to like others things... so stfu, and stop complaining about your parents who say CS if for frantic teenagers if you're saying Mario and Pokemon are for babies..."
Anyhow he stopped talking to me and teasing me... but I still don't know if he understood what I said. xD

alex-zeal
August 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I got bulled all of year 7 because i liked pokemon... good thing was, my best friend liked it too ^_^

Stupid Jhonny (bully) I hate you soo much... im gonna own you with splash :17:

Annnayways now im in my new school (high school ^_^) No one cares that i like pokemon :)

Crimson Arcanine
August 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM
When i used to be at school years ago, for Year 8 onwards I was teased a lot for liking Pokemon from many different people. I had some bad experiences, the worst being that in Year 10, when I was a Pokemon ficwriter, I left a disk in one of the school computer which contained a story i'd written up to post on Fanfiction.net and one of the kids in my class found it and well he "said" that he printed off several copies and distributed them around the school. Him and his friends spent the entire rest of the year teasing me about my author name, my story and about the fact I liked pokemon.

Funnily enough, close to the end of my school years, it wasn't liking pokemon that got me teased but playing my Gameboy. They most often reckon I played too much Tetris but always came up and asked me what I was playing despite the fact they knew.

Some people are just so nasty sometimes. I don't really care if you like or not like certain things. As long as you're understanding about what I like i'll respect what you like, as long as you don't force it on me. Thats my creed.

Hana~
August 26th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Uh uh. I've also been teased for loving Pokémon. Then in 3rd grade when Pokémon was really popular, a gang teased me for loving Chikoritas - because they were not tough. Then I met that gang leader in a Pokémon battle on GBA, his Ruby team vs my Emerald team with an Chikorita on it. Won the match with her^^

Hikari318
August 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Haha, you got them there! XD
Chikorita is such a great Pokemon!

Hana~
August 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Haha, you got them there! XD
Chikorita is such a great Pokemon!

Why, thanks! *heart* You also like Chikorita? Oh, and cute Umbreon (it was shiny, was'nt it?)

Dead Pool Avenged
August 26th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Of course i got bullied for liking Pokemon. But unlike him i know how to fight.

:3

joyce : the fluffy pirate~
August 26th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Lol, not really bullied or stuff.. There was just one girl trying to make fun of me when she saw that I was playing Emerald.
Everybody was like 'who cares that she plays that?' but offcourse, she [I'll name her M ] couldn't stop. Only when I sticked a few pink bubblegums in M's hair in class [ M was sitting in front of me ] she seemed to realise that she should leave me alone =3

like poof ~

rofl, I heared she was crying later. [ she had very long blond hair youknow & getting bubblegum out.. scissors anyone? xD]

Oh & btw. I'm not mean o_o I really don't get easy angry or stuff.. But she was like laughing at me with her annoying laugh ,pointing her finger for weeks...
I couldn't stand it anymore. >.>

Leon K. Fox
August 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Hopefully at Sixth Form though, things will be better (I start it in September) and I can be open about liking Pokemon and such, not as in telling a random person, but not being scared to play on my DS and Pearl/any Pokemon GBA games once I have them

MV
August 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
those who tried got a curb stomp

Zulen
August 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM
If you prance around school with a Pikachu shaped hat and a belt filled with toy Pokeballs, you're going to be teased. There's ways to make Pokemon look perfectly cool and acceptable when you're not talking about EV Training and Shinies, and naming all the legendaries, and comparing cards. That **** simply doesn't fly when you're speaking to people who don't play the game.

Improvise.

Black Mage
August 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
My friends tease every once in a while. They call me "PokeMaster" and ask me how Pikachu is doing. But it's all in good fun. I actually started playing Pearl at school and all of the nerdy people saw and bought their own DSes and played too. They would come up to me and ask me what to do and to battle. It was fun. And I just found out one of my roommates plays every once in a while, so that's cool. But bullied for Pokemon. Never.

Bathing Ape
August 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I've had the occassional "wow that's gay and childish" comment but they are from people who haven't picked up a Pokemon game in their life and judge the genre on the cute Pikachu they see on the TV.

I'm a very geeky guy, all my friends know it and accept me for who i am and it's what makes them my friends. If they ever brought something upon me that meant i couldn't enjoy the things that interest me then they wouldn't be my friends.

pokemasterex
August 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
i'ev never been bullied for likeing pokemon i'm biger then everyone and everyone likes me so no.(i'm not saying biger as in fat i'm saying biger as in tall).

Leon K. Fox
August 27th, 2007, 02:11 AM
If you prance around school with a Pikachu shaped hat and a belt filled with toy Pokeballs, you're going to be teased. There's ways to make Pokemon look perfectly cool and acceptable when you're not talking about EV Training and Shinies, and naming all the legendaries, and comparing cards. That **** simply doesn't fly when you're speaking to people who don't play the game.

Improvise.

I can understand the Pikachu hat and stuff like that, but what's wrong with the rest? you're just really interested in it, or wait I forgot, everything besides football/soccer/whatever the popular sport is where you are is an "obsession" and must be taken care of, but those, oh no, that's just fine!

PikaPi123
August 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I usually keep my interests in Pokemon to myself. Nobody in my class knows I play and watch it.

But some of my neibourhood friends know I like it and tease me sometimes but most of my neibourhood friends play it too and watch it.

Like one time I was telling them I was getting peek-a-boo highlights in my hair and one of my friends who don't like Pokemon said "I know you like Pokemon, but that's wierd!" and I said "What??". And then my other friend who likes Pokemon a little said "Ha, we thought you said Pikachu highlights!" That was soo funny.

Gold Tom
August 27th, 2007, 05:43 AM
I get picked on all the time. There are my mates who accept that I'm not changing, but some people are just so stupid always picking on me and stuff. It's not fair though, everyone has their interests.

Zulen
August 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I can understand the Pikachu hat and stuff like that, but what's wrong with the rest? you're just really interested in it, or wait I forgot, everything besides football/soccer/whatever the popular sport is where you are is an "obsession" and must be taken care of, but those, oh no, that's just fine!
Football and Soccer are a slightly bigger deal than Pokemon, though. Plus, they're not aimed at kids. In fact, Football is mainly aimed towards fast running, really in-shape men. The Pokemon demographic are kids in Elementary School, so-to-speak.

Although anyone who plays Football just to be cool shouldn't be playing it in the first place.

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
yes, that has, w/o a doubt, DEFINATLY happen 2 me.

Jude Mathis
August 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Oddly enough.. no, I haven't.
Not since I was 9 or 10.. back when it was 'the thing' and everyone lived for it,
there were always those kids who thought they'd be cool if they made fun of the
Pokemon fans. x__x;

But now that I'm older I hardly hear anyone making fun of it, because the people who
use to like it just go 'Oh yeah, Pokemon was awesome!'
& if I tell people I like it when its mentioned they normally don't say anything, unless
they like it too..

&& even if they do say something, I really don't care.

I like Pokemon enough to where if I'm made fun of for it, I still defend it.

and my friends all at least like the games, so theres no issues there.

Leon K. Fox
August 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Football and Soccer are a slightly bigger deal than Pokemon, though. Plus, they're not aimed at kids. In fact, Football is mainly aimed towards fast running, really in-shape men. The Pokemon demographic are kids in Elementary School, so-to-speak.

I still dun think it's fair though, no one ever called a football/soccer fan obsessed, yet a Pokemon fan on the same level is obsessed!

You could have a kid who spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on football ****e, take him to see someone and they'd say he was just fine! but anything else, oh no, it's an obsession

Power Ram
August 28th, 2007, 04:18 AM
everyday at school they ease me with names. i am told sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you, but i know that's not true. i hurt...

Aegis
August 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I suppose I was a little back at my old school, but that was full of rich preps who hadn't heard of anime, so it didn't faze me much.

Now I''m homeschooled, and my friends either like Pokemon or don't mind it, but I'm also not nearly as obsessed as I was :3

Aruseus Rider
August 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Every girl at school teases me about it.(Heck,they ALL know.)Some christian girl was even screaming at me,"Go to bloody Hell!(Show how crazy girls are at my school.)"Over and over again.Then I grabbed a football on the ground and threw it at her head.(What?I get pissed off easily!)

Genghoul
August 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Wanna know how to avoid all this? DON'T TELL PEOPLE!

Sorry for the Caps, but really, its simple.

Gold Tom
August 29th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Stick and stone will break your bones but words will make you curl up in the corner and cry for hours on end.

Incinermyn
August 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Kids are cruel, or at least the jerks at my old high school were to me up until I graduated back in 2005. For some reason, people there just couldn't accept the fact that I was a Pokemon fan and found it worthwhile trying to taunt me with all kinds of slanders of the series. A lot of their comments were mixed with numerous swear words too, adding serious insult to injury.

But now that I'm in college, people are a lot more mature and, to them, Pokemon's just another of many game/anime series that's still popular amongst those respective groups of fans.

TheWishmkr
August 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Well i think everybody who lives in England (like me) will know that 90% of people are chavs, in otherwords walk around with their trousers around their knees spray painting and causing trouble, but there are just a few people that i think that would take the pi** coz i like pokemon but i dont talk to them plus the fact that all my freinds have either played or are still playing Runescape,WoW, and Guild Wars, i mean i havent got teased for it since i only really talk about it to my freinds and if they were to tease me id just pop out a random comment (since im a little weird) like "and i have Toe Juice on my nipple) or summat like that :p but most of my freinds like the pokemon games because of the RPG element which is why they like, Final Fantasy,World of warcraft, etc so im not really bothered.

i went into school on the last day of school in year 8 cause i couldnt catch that darn Rayquaza so i let my freind do it :p

and another thing is most of the ppl in out school only know the common ones in the 1st gen like Marill,Pikachu,Raichu,Mew,Mewtwo the rest have no idea who me and my best mate talk about in English :) cause hes weird aswell :) we just sit their and scream random words xD...
fun times

Hip-And-Happenin
August 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I´m going into Year 10 in an English secondary school. I don´t shout from the rooftops that I play Pokemon, let´s put it that way. It would be fun if everyone played though ´cos I´d have people to play against. :cheeky: But oh well...Maybe they all play it secretly aswell. ;)

waveguidebuizel
August 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I don't think that I've ever been teased or bullied. Where I live, people are generally nice, so there's no bullying (at least, I haven't heard about any at my old high school). I'm shy, so I keep quiet about my interests and life outside school. But in college, no one really talks to me anyways, besides my friends.

I really want to share my interest in Pokémon with a friend, but whenever I get close to doing so, I chicken out. Recently, I found out that my friend's friend likes it too (she was playing Diamond or Pearl at her work), but my friends were with me, and I wasn't really sure about them. :(

Dragoon_Spear
August 29th, 2007, 04:52 PM
my friends say that when i'm in jr.high or high school i'm going to be teased for playing pokemon

Spinda
August 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I live in west england and I get teased for it, and I still do in secondary.

I do see some kids at school looking at pokemon stuff though now and again, which is good to see.

DarkGreg
August 30th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Not that much for me, I sort of get teased by my brother sometimes but he used to like Pokemon too. :/

Leon K. Fox
August 30th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Not that much for me, I sort of get teased by my brother sometimes but he used to like Pokemon too. :/

That seems a bit unfair...I mean it is in general, but especially considering as he once liked it

absol_master
August 30th, 2007, 05:21 AM
yeah last year there were several people who teased me for it

Ausaudriel
August 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM
That seems a bit unfair...I mean it is in general, but especially considering as he once liked it
Such is the hypocritical world we live in. :[

Though in his brother's defense, I could understand a "I used to like it, but I grew out of it" argument. Sadly some people can't hold onto things, even if they sometimes want to. Pokemon is a good example of this. o_< (That would actually be a good topic for another thread. "Do you think you'll ever out-grow Pokemon?")

Leon K. Fox
August 30th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Such is the hypocritical world we live in. :[

Though in his brother's defense, I could understand a "I used to like it, but I grew out of it" argument. Sadly some people can't hold onto things, even if they sometimes want to. Pokemon is a good example of this. o_< (That would actually be a good topic for another thread. "Do you think you'll ever out-grow Pokemon?")

so because he grew out of it, makes it okay to tease those who still do? then again this is a world where being cool, "in with the times" and rich is all that matters to most

BusterHarvey
August 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM
in my school, you get bullied/teased if you don't like pokemon

RAWR ^_^
August 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I must say, My mates didn't stop playing till like a year after leaf green. And so did I, that was on my own accord though. I thought This Summer Holidays I'd liek a DS so I asked my Dad he said no you cant have a DS, So instead my nan Said she'd buy me one. And I didn't even ask her O_o So I got poekmon with it. And I've liked it since then. Only two of my friends found out I had got it with my DS *even though i Had no choice, it was part of the offer* And they didn't even say anything. One of them went to buy it, The other siad he might, I'll probably won't tell anyone I paly it though when im back in school

J.M.
August 30th, 2007, 07:17 AM
No I never have. I wouldn't care anyway

Clemeh
August 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM
lol i just dnt tell any1

if sum1 finds out i get the yr10s to beat the bullies up lol

alex-zeal
August 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM
in my school, you get bullied/teased if you don't like pokemon

You have the best school ^_^

Insomnium
September 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM
Ehh, I've never really gotten bullied for liking pokemon. There was one time, in 5th grade, me, my sister and my best friend were riding the bus home, and someone bought up pokemon. I kept trying to insist that I didn't like it, but my sister pretty much just yelled out that I liked it {though she did too}. I was really nervous that my friend was gonna laugh at me, but she just said "Oh, you could've told me, y'know." and said she wouldn't laugh or anything. Only, the next year, she turned into one of those mean popular people and stopped hanging out with me, but anyway...

That was the only time I ever told anyone I liked pokemon besides my sister, and my neighbors who like pokemon too.

Lone--Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM
And proud.

I feel so special when people tease me for liking Pokemon. Maybe that's weird, but I do.

.Brendan
September 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM
Ive gotten bullied so much i have to hide it, i get beaten up sometimes, so im sorry everyone

Scytheteen
September 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM
nobody knows accept for my 4 best friends. 3 of which like pokemon also.

Lady Nicole
September 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I know I'd be teased and frowned upon if I revealed that I like pokemon to others at college. I don't know anyone else there who likes it. That's kind of sad, I guess... =(
Nobody knows except my brother.

Kane
September 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I don't really care what people think, so if the subject comes up i have no problem saying i enjoy pokémon to anyone.

Radikaru
September 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Not really...
Then again, despite being 20, I look (including height) and sound 13.
So people think I'm on the "acceptable" age range. xD

Razer302
September 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
When my friends asked what I had done over the summer. I basically told them I played 90 hours on the new Pokemon game. As well as all the important things.

Some people tease me about it. But I'm not bothered at all. I enjoy the games. So I'm not bothered.

SheiK
September 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The best trend you can follow is your own trend.

Sometimes, I don't talk about my Pokemon journeys whatsoever. Not really to save face, but just because you can't relate to a lot of people on that level. I'm not really ashamed of it though when someone finds out, because I enjoy the game and that's all that matters. It's super fun!

And Pokemon is totally NOT geeky!

I've even gotten some friends to release their inner Pikachu as well. :p

J-Rad
September 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM
because of my love of pokemon,i tried my hardest to get into Center for Information Technology, and i did.So,maybe i can do something with pokemon for a project....

lol in to help what i didi for my situation I did a project called gotta dis em all pokemon. I got to get involveed w/ pokem0on w/o spilling my secret. They wern't even good disses. IT was just like delibird got fired from being santa's helper and stuff like that.

Gallade~Dude
September 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
a friend i made today who was new to my school asked if i could keep a secret, and he said that he liked pokemon and i sai d i like it to.but he said that he has been bullyed for like pokemon at his old school.

P.S: i am in 7th grade.

J-Rad
September 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
a friend i made today who was new to my school asked if i could keep a secret, and he said that he liked pokemon and i sai d i like it to.but he said that he has been bullyed for like pokemon at his old school.

P.S: i am in 7th grade.

I'm in 8th and I still like it. So if u think that's crazy old to like pokemon ur crazy. Also cuz a handful of Adults play it

Gallade~Dude
September 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I never said i dont like it.
I like pokemon quite a bit.

J-Rad
September 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
O.k what ever back to school I just hate hhow hypocritical school is. They're like U like pokemon ur gay then go talk to their friends about guitar hero. Whitch in my opinion isn't even a game. Just u pushing buttons in a specific order. NO stratagies at all. Like thats fun.

Gallade~Dude
September 6th, 2007, 01:09 PM
yeah, i dont guitar hero alot.
in 6 grade i was bullyed a lot and was called gay because i played pokemon.
So far nobody in my new 7 grade class knows that i like it.(execpt friends).1 of my friends hates pokemon and he does not care if i play it.

1 question. isint being gay mean liking the same gender?How is pokemon gay?

J-Rad
September 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
yeah but people distort words a lot because a** actually means donkey, but people don't seem to care. In this world I think people call other eople gay, becasue gay people are wierd and saying ur gay means ur really wierd and strange

Gallade~Dude
September 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
true i sort of guessed that but it just bugs me.
why cant people like what they like with out being bothered by people.

PikaRom
September 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I pretty much get picked and pushed around for it, but that's usually coming from the idiots who really don't know what they're talking about half of the time.

Even when I am picked and pushed around though, I really could care less. After all, if you ignore them, they should ignore you. I just sort of pretend that they aren't really saying anything. They just ignore me back for being a brick wall to them. It's not like it does a whole lot to me.

I know it's pretty tough for other people who get the short end of the stick regarding this issue. Like I said, just ignore them, and they will ignore you eventually, no guarantees on time.

Ardhamon
September 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
It happens to me but I don't really care.

Lilith
September 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Ahh long time ago in 7th/8th grade and I brought my GBA to school and I was playing pokemon and some boys made fun of me... They're always like "squirtle squirtle" and "my charizard can beat your pikachu" and only know bits of the first gen. -_- The girls didn't really know/care. I didn't care if they teased me. Fat old uhh illegitimate children. >O Though pokemon did give me a friend in middle school since she liked it too... But we were separated and I haven't mentioned liking pokemon since then.

Gallade~Dude
September 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
EXACTLY the same for me with the Squirtle and charzard thing.
it was like they were obseced with squirtle,but hated pokemon...

~Dai-kun~
September 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah they did that whole Pikachu thing because that was probably all they know but as a kid who really looks forward to each day and have friends who didn't make fun of me for what I like I wouldn't make fun of them. Besides people pick on me for always laughing along when people laguh at me and other stuff that makes me happy. Other than that I can careless what people think about me.

coachwhipneoship
September 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I'm happy to say, no.
Most people in my school are actually pretty pokémon-friendly.
I remember when I had a Vileplume pencil sharpener and that made me COOL.

T.Guy
September 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
As far as I can remember, no, I haven't. People back when I was in school didn't really care weither you liked Pokemon or not.

Marauding Master
September 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, when I was in... I think 8th grade in American terms? I was playing the games and one of them pulled my cartridge out. Then I beated him up and got into trouble for it. >_>;