PDA

View Full Version : argh i hate buying pokemon games

pokenutjob
August 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
for all the older people here (anywhere from mid teens +) you know what its like to walk into bestbuy or target and buy a pokemon game. i usually take my 12 year old nephew and say its for him . what about you guys. anyone find it embarrassing as well? or am i the only old one here? hmm

Captain Fabio
August 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Lol i don't really care. I just walk in and look at all that shiz :)
and i am 17 :P
I know all the people in there so it isn't that bad eather. Also, i play card games so meh :D
(What? I like being a geek :P)

RAWR ^_^
August 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Lol i don't really care. I just walk in and look at all that shiz :)
and i am 17 :P
I know all the people in there so it isn't that bad eather. Also, i play card games so meh :D
(What? I like being a geek :P)

lol XD
Im 13 and I still feel embarrased :x
I dunno why But ahh well

ピクシー
August 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
It didn't apply to me luckily because I imported it from America when it was released. However if I was to buy it there is a shop in my town that's the sort you could easily buy from without any comments.

latioslegends
August 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I find it not really embarrising as long none of my shools students sees me XD. It is just fun you can't let go of such a fun game like pearl or Diamond I mean two of my family members play it one the same age the other 7 there can be a lot of diffrent feelings about the games depending on your age for some people.

ShadowTails
August 24th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I wasn't ashamed buying this game >.> I don't see why anyone should be... Not like I'm ever embarrassed to go out and buy something, big deal what other people think, big deal what those people who have just been standing around who have nothing better to do but marvel in the graphics of the XBOX 360 and PS3 while they debate what shooting game is better and talk about how they hate Nintendo...

pokenutjob
August 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
my little nephew plays it and we use to play it when we were little kids so its sometihng we have in common. besides its part of my child hood so i embrace it. hah yea if anyone from my school saw me i would probably die.

fearow23
August 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
My local EB Games is tight cause they don't care at all. Besides, most Gamestop/EB Game employees recommend Nintendo more than any other company. Atleast asking to buy Pokemon shouldn't be as embarassing as asking to buy condams (sry for the shoes reference) at your local pharmacy. Most the people there in pharmacies are indians and have thick accents. "Vat, you want condoms?" they would yell.

Captain Fabio
August 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I have a mate who is 21 and he plays the game :)
He is better than me though XD
HE is the best person on the game that i know off :D

wakachamo
August 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I've seen people that are like 25+, so no, I'm not afraid at all. XD But if I started playing it at school or something, that'd be kinda embarrassing, honestly. :x

Moi.
August 24th, 2007, 11:44 AM
lol i bought pearl in gamecave a day before it came out everywere else. the girl gave me evils and as i walked out of the shop she said to the bloke next to her ' isnt he a bit old for pokemon?'

how i hate that girl!

Professor Piggy
August 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I went into a supermarket with my so called best friend to buy it.
We're walking through the store and she's shouting at the top of her voice "So are you excited about your new *POKEMON* game, Mark?" - I'm whispering "shut up! shut up!"... people were actually pointing and laughing.

Oh well - I saw the funny side of it.

Leon K. Fox
August 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I bought the game just fine in HMV games while in Cardiff o.O Pearl, I mean, and I'm 16

BassFace
August 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I don't usually feel too embarrassed about buying Pokemon games... but maybe it's because I live in a fairly small town. I was 19 when I bought my copy of Pokemon Emerald, and I bought my Fire Red game just a few months ago. I don't think the people who sold me those games cared much about my age...

sudden_hit
August 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Well, the game shop i go to (Gamestation) is in a town about 20 mins away from mine, so im not likely to see anybody i know there. and i dont feel emberassed unless i know anybody. At the end of the day, im 14, and i can still say to ma mates "oh ive bin playing pokemon today" they are just like "cool, i was playing runescape" or "i was playing halo 3 beta" nobody is bothered really. Its just exploring gaming really. And a bit more on subject, the game store i go to is just mad for classic games. All the staff, u can just talk to em about anything, they are ace.

Team Poison
August 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I am a 20 year old still playing Pokémon so theres nothing to be embarrassed about being an adult playing Pokémon because I blag about it saying "PoKéMoN IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME!".

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM
im embarassed cauz i might c somebod i no (if that were 2 happen i would die) and even tho im only 12, i look lyke im at least 14, 15. actually back in 5th grade i played pokemon emerald on my bus and the girl who sat next 2 me (back then, we unfortunatly have assigned seats) and she was all lyke, "what u playin Abby?" and i didnt want 2 share. when i did, she turned out 2 b a fan 2 and weve been bffs even since. lucky me.

Me2UJus4Free
August 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Don't see why you would be embarrassed. It's just a video game.

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
u have a point but still...

Katalyst
August 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I'm 13 and I don't like buying these games. Here in my country Pokémon isn't popular around my age (in my country and in others), so I bought LeafGreen in 2004 when I was 10 and never bought a Pokemon game since that. I feel a bit ashamed... If my schoolmates know that I still play Pokemon...

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
i feel bad 4 u... here in the usa pokemon is verrry popular. espicially in PA.

Scarlet Weather
August 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
All you people should be ashamed of yourself. Playing children's video games at your age!

Alright, just teasing. Really, I don't feel ashamed, persay. I feel something more along the lines of indignation that somebody I barely know is going to want to comment on it. Besides, as long as I don't run into an APer I'm probably fine. They're video games. You can play it no matter how old you get. (I actually read a short review of the game in the consumer section of the Washingto Post where the guy actually bought and played D/P. Under the "Things you'll love" section, his comment was "Pokemon actually has enough depth and storyline to be enjoyed by people older then twelve. XD)

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
oh, there u r again, the guy who made me want 2 cry in the other thread. and o yeah, dont get the rong idea, i dont hate u. u actually had a point in the "do u lyke pikachu" thread, but still, u were real mean. :*( and most of the time, my dad buys pokemon games 4 me. thats rite, ima daddys girl! :D

Rebellious Treecko
August 24th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Why would you be embarrassed to buy a Pokemon game? :\
I've bought lots of Pokemon games, and I've never been embarrassed at all.
Pokemon isn't kiddy.

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
all pokemon fan should look up 2 u. i just dont havbe that trait tho, so i tend 2 b embarrassed... :(

Pikachu.exe
August 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Well, I'm 13 years old, and I buy pokémon games via Internet stores, because here in my city the only pokémon games are fake ones. But, sometimes, I play my Diamond in the school, and I don't care, also I look like I'm at around 9 or 10 years old.
But I really hate, when I was 7, and I changed schools, people started calling me "Pikachu"... "Hey, Pikachu, are you going to use your Thundershock today?" (in Brazil, Thundershock is the same name as Thunderbolt)

Starway
August 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM
i kinda feel ashamed but i've seen some people in their 20's play pokemon still so do I though but it's interesting to play it also takes my time away when i'm bored.;)

Shiny Umbreon
August 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I normally don't buy my games in big stores because either I go somewhere else or because someone else buys the game for me. Anyway, I wouldn't feel ashamed of buying Pokémon games because E means 10+ and really it's not like a kid's game because of the difficulty.

Also, I'd kind of feel well to know that I know much more about Pokémon that all those 8-year-olds. And I'll feel the same way when I get older.

Scarlet Weather
August 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
oh, there u r again, the guy who made me want 2 cry in the other thread. and o yeah, dont get the rong idea, i dont hate u. u actually had a point in the "do u lyke pikachu" thread, but still, u were real mean. :*( and most of the time, my dad buys pokemon games 4 me. thats rite, ima daddys girl!

Kid, get a vocabulary, some justification, and stop typing in chatspeak and then maybe I'll consider some of the points you made in that thread. But that's offtopic. Anyway, I'd say that you kind of missed the part about this being *ahem* for older teens. You know, people who are going through high school at this point. And I'm from the US too, but nobody I know in person likes Pokemon besides me and my best friend. Really, it's much easier for a twelve year old girl to buy a Pokemon game then it is for a sixteen year old guy to walk into the local Wal-Mart and do it. Girls can get away with it sometimes, I've found. Guys like me? Much harder.

TSK
August 25th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I never feel embarrased about it.The shop where I buy the games usually have only about two people there though,the shop keepers XD

Alter Ego
August 25th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I order by internet and have the games delivered straight to my doorstep. Problem solved. xD Anyways...nah, I don't care that much anymore. Anyone petty enough to laugh about it would just find an excuse to mock me anyway. I've learned not to care too much about people like that.

spam
August 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
No I don't feel embarrassed when buying Pokemon gmaes. It's a very good addicting game that no one should be ashamed of buying.

If you feel embarrassed about buying Pokemon in a store, just buy online or get a ROM.

Starway
August 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
no one should feel ashamed if they but it you like you like it

The Fallen
August 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Nah, not really. I just tell them what I want and that's that. It's not like they have to know who it's for.

THIRTY-SIX
August 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Lol this is kinda funny, but I don't look my age so when they see me buying a game the people are like woah puberty hit you early huh. xD

Team Poison
August 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
There's nothing really to be ashamed of because at least you're not buying Yu-Gi-Oh games because they are naff and have no story or meaning, as for pokemon you are going along with a story and a constant neverending plot!

Leon K. Fox
August 26th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I don't see why you should be embarassed, in school for some people maybe, but in a game's store I don't see why...

that's just me though

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
August 26th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I give my friend the money and he goes in and buys it for me.

joyce : the fluffy pirate~
August 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Lol, I'm not. =D I don't care what people think about me at all !
If I want to buy that game I'm buying it. =3

Starway
August 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
There's nothing really to be ashamed of because at least you're not buying Yu-Gi-Oh games because they are naff and have no story or meaning, as for pokemon you are going along with a story and a constant neverending plot!
i with you on that!Yu-Gi-Oh has no plot nothin it's worse than any other trading card game.

Lol, I'm not. =D I don't care what people think about me at all !
If I want to buy that game I'm buying it. =3
I buy it anyway even people saw me play it I wouldn't care either.

♥~*Abby*~♥
August 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Kid, get a vocabulary, some justification, and stop typing in chatspeak and then maybe I'll consider some of the points you made in that thread. But that's offtopic. Anyway, I'd say that you kind of missed the part about this being *ahem* for older teens. You know, people who are going through high school at this point. And I'm from the US too, but nobody I know in person likes Pokemon besides me and my best friend. Really, it's much easier for a twelve year old girl to buy a Pokemon game then it is for a sixteen year old guy to walk into the local Wal-Mart and do it. Girls can get away with it sometimes, I've found. Guys like me? Much harder.

no. u have it all rong. girlz buying pokemon just doesnt seem rite 2 the rest of society. and must i say it again, i look 14-16 yearz old.

Isaac Gravity
August 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'd be embarrassed if i actually cared what others thought of me. Really, whatever isn't "mature" or "extreme" or made by "Square Enix" isn't worth anyone's time as far as the mainstream mold is concerned. It boils down to this:

1) It's my money, other than window-shopping I'm not gonna enter a game store unless I'm gonna buy a game I've: A) Been hyped about for awhile but since I game on a budget that still won't stop me from considering my options. B) A huge fan of the franchise (Megaman, Klonoa, .Hack, Zelda, Pokemon, Super Robot Wars but please see gaming on a budget) C) Learned a bit about it to say "Sounds pretty cool, I'll pick it up sometime".

2) Those kiddie games have a lot more depth than most wish to give them credit for. Pokemon's third and fourth gen are large examples to that truth. Replay value and overall enjoyment factor is a huge plus for those who need to balance their expenses or simply wanna get the most out of their buck.

3) To hell with society, we exist to make our own decisions whatever the outcome. Besides, there's always another way: If it bugs you so much simply browse various online stores, compare prices and shipping rates and buy it from there.

@Team Poison and star224- Let's not drag YGO into this... Besides, from the way you two talk it seems you haven't looked at YGO (and possibly GX) outside its anime dub. The card game is fun but something more enjoyable if bought via video game.

Which game you buy is up to you and no one else of course.

Dragon Tamer_X
August 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I am never embarrassed but I do know what you feel like.

Scarlet Weather
August 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
1) It's my money, other than window-shopping I'm not gonna enter a game store unless I'm gonna buy a game I've: A) Been hyped about for awhile but since I game on a budget that still won't stop me from considering my options. B) A huge fan of the franchise (Megaman, Klonoa, .Hack, Zelda, Pokemon, Super Robot Wars but please see gaming on a budget) C) Learned a bit about it to say "Sounds pretty cool, I'll pick it up sometime".

Hey, I like Final Fantasy! *shot'ed*

Really, anyone who's fine with Final Fantasy and other Square Enix titles has nothing to diss Pokemon about. They've got cute monsters (Chocobos, Mogs) too, they have random battles, and for the love of the great cheese some of them even have disney characters involved. No, unless they don't like the capture/collection monster game RPG genre, they have nothing to complain about.

Starway
August 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I'd be embarrassed if i actually cared what others thought of me. Really, whatever isn't "mature" or "extreme" or made by "Square Enix" isn't worth anyone's time as far as the mainstream mold is concerned. It boils down to this:

2) Those kiddie games have a lot more depth than most wish to give them credit for. Pokemon's third and fourth gen are large examples to that truth. Replay value and overall enjoyment factor is a huge plus for those who need to balance their expenses or simply wanna get the most out of their buck.

3) To hell with society, we exist to make our own decisions whatever the outcome. Besides, there's always another way: If it bugs you so much simply browse various online stores, compare prices and shipping rates and buy it from there.

@Team Poison and star224- Let's not drag YGO into this... Besides, from the way you two talk it seems you haven't looked at YGO (and possibly GX) outside its anime dub. The card game is fun but something more enjoyable if bought via video game.

Which game you buy is up to you and no one else of course.

ive acually played yu-gi-oh but when i played it i didn't really like it REALLY boring game.

GrayLuna
August 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
ill admit i am a little embarrassed because im afraid to see someone i know or if the cashier happens to be a cute guy :P

Bathing Ape
August 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm 21 years old and i have that problem, infact......when i bought Pearl last week i took my 11 year old brother and claimed it was his birthday present even though he was clearly playing Diamond lol

Astinus
August 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'm not embarrassed. I really don't care what other people think of me. I'll go in and scrounge through the toy section for Pokemon toys, or point at what Pokemon games I want. I really don't care who thinks less of me.

Because, hey, if someone thinks less of me for something as trivial as my love of cute little critters, then imagine how low their life is. :/

Bathing Ape
August 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm not embarrassed. I really don't care what other people think of me. I'll go in and scrounge through the toy section for Pokemon toys, or point at what Pokemon games I want. I really don't care who thinks less of me.

Because, hey, if someone thinks less of me for something as trivial as my love of cute little critters, then imagine how low their life is. :/

nicely said, i agree!

i think it's easier for females though, as the pokemon franchise doesn't appear to be aimed at males of 16+ unfortunately

Zulen
August 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I really have no problem with it. What is someone going to do? "Nyyyaaahhh, you're 15 and playing Pokemon? Laaaame". Anyone with half a brain knows that Pokemon would be aimed at a older demographic if it weren't for that ****ty 4kids dub everyone ate up as an "original".

Besides, kids who think Pokemon is for kids are merely trying to act adult, and will probably end up buying Final Fantasy or Naruto: Ultimate Ninja because they think less colorful games are more "adult" and that's music to the ears of your average child who's itching to mature.

And adults are perfectly okay with Pokemon. Parent's will even feel reminiscent towards it (Not like they'll play it, though).

But I digress. Most of my ability to handle awkward situations is derived from self-esteem. Pokemon kicks ass, so what's the big deal?

newjacksm
August 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I walked into best buy w/ my girlfriend bought a DS and Pokemon Diamond at Bestbuy

Mind you I am 19 years old.... Haha, I was laughing at the register.. Now I am addicted to pokemon and broke up with my girlfriend.

Pokemon took over my life...

Dead Pool Avenged
August 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Every sentence in this post is a summary of what i was going to say...

Crimson Arcanine
August 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I get very nervous buying Pokemon games from stores these days. But i'm just that type of person.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 27th, 2007, 05:49 AM
for all the older people here (anywhere from mid teens +) you know what its like to walk into bestbuy or target and buy a pokemon game. i usually take my 12 year old nephew and say its for him . what about you guys. anyone find it embarrassing as well? or am i the only old one here? hmm

I'm sorry but your a noob for thinking like that in the first place. Anyways I'm not like that. Shoot I still even go into Target and buy Pokemon stuff animals without a problem. I dont care what people think about me

:t354:TG

pokenutjob
August 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
im not a "noob" for thinking like that. so what if i dont want 19 year old girls knowing that i play pokemon. (you can make a pretty good guess at my age from that sentence). i like girls and i like them to like me too :( even if that means worrying about my reputation :)

Melody
August 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
im not a "noob" for thinking like that. so what if i dont want 19 year old girls knowing that i play pokemon. (you can make a pretty good guess at my age from that sentence). i like girls and i like them to like me too :( even if that means worrying about my reputation :)
:\Any girl that'd make fun of you for loving pokemon is worth passing up. If they dont like you for who you are then dump 'em.
Dont try to pretend to be anything other than yourself. When they find out you are pretending they'll just leave you. D: Besides, if your girlfriend doesnt put you at ease your in for a horribly stressful relationship. Just my take on things.

As for others laughing at you just hold your head up high and say "Dang right I love pokemon! Got a problem with that?"

MegaTailzChao
August 30th, 2007, 12:38 PM
The only reason to be embarrassed buying something is if you agree with the reason you're getting embarrassed. I have no problem with going into Wal-Mart and asking the manager for the Pokemon game on the far-right. A person or two might give me weird looks but because I am a very tall person I just give them ONE angry look and they go back to doing whatever it is they were doing.