PDA

View Full Version : Charizard? Flying or Dragon type?

TheWishmkr
August 29th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Why is Charizard a Flying type and Fire IMO it should be a Fire/Dragon
dont you think?
Discuss.

The Fallen
August 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Not really. You don't have to be a dragon type to learn dragon type moves. Many different pokemon can learn dragon moves, such as Lucario and Arcanine for examples. He is classified as A Lizard pokemon, which makes him some what of a dragon but not really. He has my flying characteristics than dragon.

TheWishmkr
August 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah but when i first saw Charizard i actually thought it was a dragon type maybe thats just me though...

Ichida
August 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
It has the physical form of a dragon, just not the elemental typing. Neither does Gyarados.

Espeon Master
August 29th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Everything everyone else said. Plus, Charizard was around in the first games where there were only 3 dragon types, all in the same family. They couldn't just hand something out that was supposed to be a rare type, as a starter.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Dragons Fly and it should of been labeled a Dragon/Fire type because I thought at one time it was a Fire/Dragon type

:t354:TG

Willbey
August 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM
It's got more flying type moves than dragon type moves, but i think it should be a dragon/fire cause it looks like a dragon type! You know it's fire type cause it's color and the flam on the tail, and does not look like a bird, Cause nearly all the pokemon that look like birds are flying type, but charizard looks more like a dragon, so it should be Dragon/Fire!

Ichida
August 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Dragons Fly and it should of been labeled a Dragon/Fire type because I thought at one time it was a Fire/Dragon type

Dratini? Bagon? Shelgon? Gible? Gabite? Garchomp? Dialga? I don't see any of them fly, but they're Dragons. :P

PokeRandom
August 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
It feels too me as it is both!

Chaolin
August 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I personally think it's a Dragon/Fire type. I'm sure everyone's first impression of Charizard was, "OMG, an orange dragon!"

Ichida
August 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Whatever you "think" it is, it is a Fire/Flying-element Pokemon.

brotlov
August 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Well, Charizards appearance is a bit dragon-ish (the wings, tail and horn, plus the D/P sprite for charizard looks like he's a dragon) but they made him a dragon/flying, i would prefer a him to be a dragon/fire, but what can you do

Ichida
August 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
No, he's a Fire/Flying, like I said.

Ayano Katagiri
August 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM
The D/P sprites makes the impression for it to be a dragon even stronger... and yet, they kept it fire/flying. I also thought it would have some sort of dragon feature included to it when they made it, but IIRC, the dragon type was only introduced in G/S/C right? Charizard had already been determined in R/B/Y as Fire/Flying so changing that would have been weird...

EDIT: O.o Ignore the strikethroughs. Recalled incorrectly...

brotlov
August 29th, 2007, 11:30 PM
The D/P sprites makes the impression for it to be a dragon even stronger... and yet, they kept it fire/flying. I also thought it would have some sort of dragon feature included to it when they made it, but IIRC, the dragon type was only introduced in G/S/C right? Charizard had already been determined in R/B/Y as Fire/Flying so changing that would have been weird...

No, there was a dragon type in R/B/Y (Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite) But, if they wanted it to be a fire/Dragon then they would've made it one in R/B/Y

Ayano Katagiri
August 29th, 2007, 11:39 PM
No, there was a dragon type in R/B/Y (Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite) But, if they wanted it to be a fire/Dragon then they would've made it one in R/B/Y

Oh oops.. my bad. Um, just then scrap everything involving that theory I said before. *goes to edit*

I had forgotten about Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite temporarily.

brotlov
August 30th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Oh oops.. my bad. Um, just then scrap everything involving that theory I said before. *goes to edit*

I had forgotten about Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite temporarily.

Lol, That's happened to me too, it's easy to forget about pokemon that are that old

Me2UJus4Free
August 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
It's got more flying type moves than dragon type moves, but i think it should be a dragon/fire cause it looks like a dragon type! You know it's fire type cause it's color and the flam on the tail, and does not look like a bird, Cause nearly all the pokemon that look like birds are flying type, but charizard looks more like a dragon, so it should be Dragon/Fire!

Duel elemental types just won't happen. It's pretty illogical, and will go against the classical starter type.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Dratini? Bagon? Shelgon? Gible? Gabite? Garchomp? Dialga? I don't see any of them fly, but they're Dragons.

Yea because they are very very weird. What I meant to say was most Dragons fly

:t354:TG

admael
August 31st, 2007, 01:23 AM
Two main things come to mind when discussing the typing of Charizard. Starters can't be Dragons and a Fire/Dragon type seems kinda rigged for a non-uber.

Incinermyn
August 31st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Dragon Pokemon don't necessarily have to be Dragon-types. I mean, think about all the other creatures that have Dragon-type attributes, but don't belong to it. Among the starters, besides Charizard, Sceptile's dragon-like. Also, a lot of ones that are just reptilian, like Arbok and Seviper, could probably be considered dragons too.

Mewtwo42
August 31st, 2007, 10:13 AM
It shouln't be dragon, because it is a starter. Also, it never seemed, to me that it should be any other types than fire and flying.

OptimaL
August 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM
making charizard part dragon at this stage would mess up the power balance between the kanto starters.

Azonic
August 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM
It comes to be as a Flying type more than dragons, buut Fire/Dragon would be an awesome type matchup.

Shiny Charizard is racist.

Mewtwo42
August 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM
If you ask me, it wouldn't be very practical.

brotlov
August 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM
If you ask me, it wouldn't be very practical.

yeah, you're right, it wouldn't be very practical, fire/flying is better for a starter, but fire/dragon for a starter isn't the best

Mewtwo42
August 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I just don't see a part dragon-type Starter ever coming about.

Darkjagwar
August 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
either way, Charizard as a Fire/Flying or Fire/Dragon would still have 3 weaknesses. However, if it was Fire/Dragon, it would lose its immunity to ground and be weak against it. if you gave it levitate as Fire/Dragon it would only have 2 weaknesses and be immune to ground. but since it's a starter, it must have Blaze as its ability? so yea, i'd take the immunity 2 ground. just give it a dragon fang if it has any dragon moves to boost them the same as its fire moves.

Mewtwo42
August 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
either way, Charizard as a Fire/Flying or Fire/Dragon would still have 3 weaknesses. However, if it was Fire/Dragon, it would lose its immunity to ground and be weak against it. if you gave it levitate as Fire/Dragon it would only have 2 weaknesses and be immune to ground. but since it's a starter, it must have Blaze as its ability? so yea, i'd take the immunity 2 ground. just give it a dragon fang if it has any dragon moves to boost them the same as its fire moves.

Ecxactly. It's good the way it is. Period. At least for me, anyway.

Charizard-lord
September 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM
I reckon it looks like a dragon, but the more you think about it, the more you realise that it's basically already a dragon. It can learn Dragon moves, so changing its type would be both illogical and pointless.

Mewtwo42
September 1st, 2007, 03:06 PM
I reckon it looks like a dragon, but the more you think about it, the more you realise that it's basically already a dragon. It can learn Dragon moves, so changing its type would be both illogical and pointless.

I guess you are right. There is really no point in changing the type, cuz it alredy is a dragon, even though it is not a dragon type.

Charizard-lord
September 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yay I'm right! *crowd cheers*