PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Poeman
November 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Theres an issue with transparency, for some reason all my pokemon have a white box around them, even though I selected the transparency correctly(I have bene using RPGMAKER for about 7 years, I'm not doing it wrong.)

delyemerald2
November 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Wich picture must I change, when I want to change that box with "Fight Bag
Pokemon Run"
in it?

thedudemister
November 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I have a question. I hope someone can help. How do I make the battle backrounds change during different times of the day? Thanks in advance.

Poeman
November 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
delyemrald2, you mean the skin or the text commands?
thedudemister, you would need to have some scripting knowladge to do that.

?Alistair?
November 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I'm getting this error again, can no-one help me?

---------------------------
Pokémon: ONM Edition
Exception: TypeError

Compiler:2183:in `clone'

Compiler:2183:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2175:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:1974:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1936:in `each_line'

Compiler:1936:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1974:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2175:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2173:in `open'

Compiler:2173:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Poeman
November 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM
It's having an error with the pokemon/pbs.

?Alistair?
November 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
But I can't understand why :/ Is it something to do with an individual pokemon?

Den
November 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
When I try to open up the essentials I get message saying "Failed to Load Actor Data". How do I solve this?

delyemerald2
November 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
The skin. I have found that Red, Green thingy. But the white not.

Grifstar
November 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
can someone tell me how do you make it so that you choose a pokemon but you cant nickname it yet.
like in DP.

I strongly second this.. (or just how do you prompt the nicknaming command/event when you actually do want it to happen)

And, I know this question has been beaten like a dead horse, but how do you add additional "shiny" variations of a pokemon?(like if you want to also have shadow-colored pokemon and so on) How do you change the rarities of those too? Just... where in the script does it have those because I still haven't found it anywhere.

Poeman
November 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Alastair:It's having a problem with all of it, I suggest you make sure your filling it out right.
Deleyemrald:You don't make sense.
Grifstar:You can have the shiny be different, in the battlers the pokemon with the name S is shiny, jsut edit that. I do not know where the ratio is.

Lady Berlitz
November 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
This may seem like a stupid question (or it may have been asked several times before), but how do I change the options in the Options menu so that you can only choose a specific preference.

For example, I would like to make only the D/P textboxes playable and switchable during gameplay, while deleting the other textboxes (such as the FireRed one). I would also like to do the same with the fonts (making only the D/P font playable).

I would also like to ask how to change the default size of the game when it is opened, as it is FR/LG's size at the moment. I would also like to delete the option of changing the size.

thedudemister
November 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I have a question. I hope someone can help. How do I make the battle backrounds change during different times of the day? Thanks in advance.
Can someone please help me with this.

Poeman
November 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Dudemister I already replied, you need to change the scripts around.
Infernal Contraption I am not too sure what your asking but I think you mean change the text box skins, it s in the picture folder.

Lady Berlitz
November 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Infernal Contraption I am not too sure what your asking but I think you mean change the text box skins, it s in the picture folder.Not even close. :3 I'm saying that I would like to delete all of the textboxes, make only the D/P ones playable, and remove the option of changing them. And I wasn't only talking about textboxes. -.-

Magnemite
November 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Not even close. :3 I'm saying that I would like to delete all of the textboxes, make only the D/P ones playable, and remove the option of changing them. And I wasn't only talking about textboxes. -.-

Open the Script Editor and go to the "SpriteWindow" section. Find the section "$TextFrames" and there is a list of all the frames. You can just delete the ones you don't want there, and they will disappear from the options.

For the speech frames, I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing. The speech frame section is right underneath the regular frame section.

~Frozen Darkness~
November 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Um can someone tell me how to make animations for Pokemon like in D/P/P? I don't have a clue how to.

ultron90
November 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Can someone tell me how do i resize the game? PM me if u can . thanx

delyemerald2
November 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Does someone know how you can change the in-battle skin?
I have found the skin, but I want it becomes an other skin, special for in-battle.

Ty 101
November 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
How do you make it so that if you faint before you visit the first pokemon center you will go back in front of your house.

Magnemite
November 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
How do you make it so that if you faint before you visit the first pokemon center you will go back in front of your house.

Open the editor and select Edit Metadata. You can set the Home Position from there, which will tell the game where to take you if no Pokemon Centers have been visited.

Exiled~Shadow
November 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Ok, probly a simple answer for a simple question:

I want to make my game played in full screen by default... how do i do this??

Minorthreat0987
November 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Does anyone have a list of the numbers that represent each Egg group for the Pokemon.txt file? It would be really helpful in adding my new pokemon, Thank you!

Wichu
November 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
1-Monster
2-Water 1
3-Bug
4-Flying
5-Ground
6-Fairy
7-Plant
8-Humanshape
9-Water 3
10-Mineral
11-Indeterminate
12-Water 2
13-Ditto
14-Dragon
15-Cannot Breed

Using Serebii's names.

tImE
November 23rd, 2008, 03:44 AM
Does anybody know how to change the Position of the in-battle sprites?
I succesfully changed the "Trainer Battle"-ones, but I can't change the pos. of the "wildbattle"-ones,
if anybod know how to do edit the pos for Wildbattle-sprites, I'd be eternaly grateful.

//44tim44

Magnemite
November 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
I'm getting an error...

Bad line syntax (expected syntax like XXX=YYY)
file PBS/pokemon.txt, line 300

I checked line 300, it's Abilities=SHEDSKIN under Metapod.

Why is it telling me the syntax is no good? Both words are spelled and formatted properly... I'm really confused about this.

Ty 101
November 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have a problem! When you start my game you have all HM's. Also when you try to surf the game says that the water is dyed blue. Please help me.

Wichu
November 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
It's because you're running it in Play Test mode. Instead of using the button in RPG Maker, use the Game.exe file to avoid this.

Magnemite
November 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm getting an error...

Bad line syntax (expected syntax like XXX=YYY)
file PBS/pokemon.txt, line 300

I checked line 300, it's Abilities=SHEDSKIN under Metapod.

Why is it telling me the syntax is no good? Both words are spelled and formatted properly... I'm really confused about this.

Could someone give me a suggestion as to how to fix this?

I've tried so many different things to fix it, but I can't! I can't get anything done with my game until I figure this out! I'm desperate!

Grifstar
November 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Grifstar:You can have the shiny be different, in the battlers the pokemon with the name S is shiny, jsut edit that. I do not know where the ratio is.

I know that, but there's supposed to be a way to have more than one type of shiny. (Like for mine, I was hoping to have the original shinies, and then a second set unique to the game)

And I still have no idea how to fix the rarity DX

Magnemite
November 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm getting this error whenever I get into a wild battle:

Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbDisplayPaused' for #<PokeBattle_Battle:0x51fca40>

PokeBattle_Battle:565:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:536:in `pbStartBattle'

PokemonField:414:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:413:in `pbSceneStandby'

PokemonField:415:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:412:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonField:412:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:726:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player*:447:in `update_old'

Walk/Run:66:in `update'

OK

Any suggestions? I've looked into it as best as I can, but I have no idea what to do. The "0x51fca40" part changes every time and I don't know what it means.

Grifstar
November 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
err, looks like you might be having problems with the "pbDisplayPaused", whatever that is exactly.

Have you been messing with the battle graphics?

Magnemite
November 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
err, looks like you might be having problems with the "pbDisplayPaused", whatever that is exactly.

Have you been messing with the battle graphics?
Well yeah, I figured that much out. I looked at the pbDisplayPaused script, and it's defined. I haven't changed it at all.

Umm... What part of the battle graphics? I edited the message box and status boxes, but I've done that in other games, as well as this one before. They worked fine until now, so I don't think that's the problem.

Grifstar
November 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Well, I meant recently. Since if you just edited something new it might've had something to do with it.

The fact it's a Display thing though sounds like it might be graphic-related. But I can't tell, I never seen that script before.

Champio30
November 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'm getting this error whenever I get into a wild battle:

Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey

Message: undefined method `pbDisplayPaused' for #<PokeBattle_Battle:0x51fca40>

PokeBattle_Battle:565:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:536:in `pbStartBattle'

PokemonField:414:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:413:in `pbSceneStandby'

PokemonField:415:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:412:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonField:412:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:726:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player*:447:in `update_old'

Walk/Run:66:in `update'

OK
Any suggestions? I've looked into it as best as I can, but I have no idea what to do. The "0x51fca40" part changes every time and I don't know what it means.
is there perhaps a script in one of your events that says "pbdisplaypause"?

Magnemite
November 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I meant recently. Since if you just edited something new it might've had something to do with it.

The fact it's a Display thing though sounds like it might be graphic-related. But I can't tell, I never seen that script before.

is there perhaps a script in one of your events that says "pbdisplaypause"?

No, I haven't changed any graphics-related things recently. I have been adding new moves though, which I suspect could have something to do with it.
The pbDisplayPaused happens in the normal battle multiple times, but I still don't understand why it's causing a problem now. The part that's causing my problem happens when, in a wild battle, the message "A wild {1} appeared!" is supposed to be displayed.

~JV~
November 25th, 2008, 05:44 AM
No, I haven't changed any graphics-related things recently. I have been adding new moves though, which I suspect could have something to do with it.
The pbDisplayPaused happens in the normal battle multiple times, but I still don't understand why it's causing a problem now. The part that's causing my problem happens when, in a wild battle, the message "A wild {1} appeared!" is supposed to be displayed.

The best thing you can do to solve this problem is to copy the original battle scripts and paste then in your project so everything goes back to default.

Magnemite
November 25th, 2008, 05:48 AM
The best thing you can do to solve this problem is to copy the original battle scripts and paste then in your project so everything goes back to default.
I tried this already. I've tried every simple solution thinkable, so I need advice from an experienced scripter. I have no idea what is going on, and it's really taking a toll on my potential progress.

~JV~
November 25th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I tried this already. I've tried every simple solution thinkable, so I need advice from an experienced scripter. I have no idea what is going on, and it's really taking a toll on my potential progress.

Hmm replace all images in your pictures folder with the original ones and also do that with all the scripts, if you do that, it will probably works. Also check if this problem is with any battle or only with one specific.

Ty 101
November 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
How do you make a in game trade?
OR,
How do you remove a specific pokemon from your party?

Please help me!

Magnemite
November 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hmm replace all images in your pictures folder with the original ones and also do that with all the scripts, if you do that, it will probably works. Also check if this problem is with any battle or only with one specific.

Yeah, I'm sure returning everything to the way it was when I downloaded Essentials might work, but that's just a huge waste of time when I could just get advice from someone who knows their way around the scripts.

Can someone with scripting knowledge please help me with my problem?

~JV~
November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I'm sure returning everything to the way it was when I downloaded Essentials might work, but that's just a huge waste of time when I could just get advice from someone who knows their way around the scripts.

Can someone with scripting knowledge please help me with my problem?

Actually it had already been some time youre trying to find a pro scripter to help you, if you had done what i told you in the start maybe it wouldnt be a lost of time =/. Also do you have any backups? Instead of replacing with essentials scripts, replce with your backup ones =p. Good luck.

Magnemite
November 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Actually it had already been some time youre trying to find a pro scripter to help you, if you had done what i told you in the start maybe it wouldnt be a lost of time =/. Also do you have any backups? Instead of replacing with essentials scripts, replce with your backup ones =p. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have someone looking at it right now.

4th Gen Matt
November 27th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Just wanted to drop by and tell you how much I love and appreciate your starter kit. Thanks a bunch! I might be experiencing some difficulties with some of the scripts a bit later so expect some posts from me. Thanks again.

chessplayer
November 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Can someone please tell me how do I playtest the game quickly without having to go through the intro all the time? I used to just place my starting point on the map in that I want to test in RMXP but since the starter kit recompiles every time I playtest, how do I skip the intro? Thanks.

Btw, I used the pbAddDependency2 script to add a character following me around and I edited the common event to prompt a choice to remove him when I talk to him. However, once I started adding a few more characters following me around, I have problems removing them. An error message comes out.

And I can't get this to work:
Kernel.pbAddDependency2(
031, "John", 005
)

It can't seem to add the event I want. I put 031 because it is the event's ID, but it doesn't work and shows another error message. When I used @event_id, it works. Is it possible to use the id no.? I f so, what should I do?

Pika Storm
November 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
sorry if this has been asked before, but, how do you creat the pokemon encounter rates. I just have grass and no pokemon in them http://www.pokecommunity.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Wichu
November 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Can someone please tell me how do I playtest the game quickly without having to go through the intro all the time? I used to just place my starting point on the map in that I want to test in RMXP but since the starter kit recompiles every time I playtest, how do I skip the intro? Thanks.

Btw, I used the pbAddDependency2 script to add a character following me around and I edited the common event to prompt a choice to remove him when I talk to him. However, once I started adding a few more characters following me around, I have problems removing them. An error message comes out.

And I can't get this to work:
Kernel.pbAddDependency2(
031, "John", 005
)

It can't seem to add the event I want. I put 031 because it is the event's ID, but it doesn't work and shows another error message. When I used @event_id, it works. Is it possible to use the id no.? I f so, what should I do?
Can't you just save after the intro?
As for the error message, it would help if you posted the error. Try removing the 0s from the script (just 31 and 5).

Pika Storm: Use the visual editor, or edit the Encounters.txt file.

tImE
November 28th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Does anybody know how to change the Position of the in-battle sprites?
I succesfully changed the "Trainer Battle"-ones, but I can't change the pos. of the "wildbattle"-ones,
if anybod know how to do edit the pos for Wildbattle-sprites, I'd be eternaly grateful.

//44tim44

I dunno if I was ignored or what, but I seriously
need help with this,
it essential for my project...

I hope somebody can help me.

//44tim44

chessplayer
November 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Well, here's the error box,
hxxp://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=error2do5.png
It comes out when I try to remove a dependent event. I only encounter this problem when I try to remove the dependent event from a group.

Well, does anyone know how to overcome this problem btw?
hxxp://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=error1mz9.png

Sorry bout the links, I don't have permission to post urls yet. So just replace the xx with tt.

Yeah and the saving thing, thanks, I totally forgot.

Pika Storm
November 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
thank you, I have another question, how do you link maps together. I am using a door warp to conect maps, but I don't like it

Wichu
November 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I dunno if I was ignored or what, but I seriously
need help with this,
it essential for my project...

I hope somebody can help me.

//44tim44
This is a bit harder than the trainer battle ones... Since the wild Pokémon start off-screen and move on, you have to set their x to be 480 (or however large your screen is) less than where you want it to end up. Find these lines in PokeBattle_ActualScene and edit them.
pbAddSprite("enemybase",-256,96+@yoffset,enemybase,@viewport) # ends at (224,96)
This modifies the positioning of the enemy battle base. -256 is the x value (-256+480=224). If you edit that, you'll also have to edit this line with the new position:
break if @sprites["enemybase"].x>=224
As for the Pokémon, it's these lines which need editing (remember to take 480 away from your desired position):@sprites["pokemon1"].x=-192 # ends at 144*2
@sprites["pokemon3"].x=-240
Hope this helps!

Well, here's the error box,
hxxp://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=error2do5.png
It comes out when I try to remove a dependent event. I only encounter this problem when I try to remove the dependent event from a group.
Below line 401 in DependentEvents (should read like this)events=$PokemonGlobal.dependentEventstry addingevents.compact!with the exclamation mark. I don't know if it will help, but give it a go.

thank you, I have another question, how do you link maps together. I am using a door warp to conect maps, but I don't like it
Run the Editor.exe tool, and use the Visual Editor. Read the help window.

chessplayer
November 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Section124:405:in `removeEventByName'undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

DependentEvents:404:in `each'

DependentEvents:404:in `removeEventByName'

Game_Player*:20:in `pbRemoveDependency2'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1623:in `eval'

Interpreter:1623:in `command_355'

Interpreter:467:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:254:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'

OK

ForeverRed
November 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
well there must still be an error on:
"Message: Script error within map 25 (Test Map 2)"

chessplayer
November 29th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Well, all I have done is add two to three dependent events. All calling them and removing them with different names. When I talk to the first guy behind me, it calls up the common event which shows the choice to remove him. I used the Kernel.pbRemove... in the common event. It works fine with just one dependent event but with two or three. It crashes.

Wichu
November 29th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Pokemon Essentials

Section124:405:in `removeEventByName'undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

DependentEvents:404:in `each'

DependentEvents:404:in `removeEventByName'

Game_Player*:20:in `pbRemoveDependency2'

Interpreter:254:in `pbExecuteScript'

OK
Okay, try this. Under line 403 (or the nearest one which is like this):for i in 0...events.lengthaddnext if !events[i]That should work.

chessplayer
November 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM
what about event.compact! Should I leave that in as well?

Well, it did work in a way. However it removes the dependent events from the back. It should remove them starting from the front.

Now it's like this.

Player----->, <------Tom, Mary, John

I face behind, talk to Tom, removes him, it doesn't crashes anymore but John disappears. I talk to tom again and remove him, Mary disappears and lastly Tom. What should I tweak to remove Tom first, followed by%2

Wichu
November 29th, 2008, 04:29 AM
You can take event.compact! out. I'm not too sure on the other problem...

chessplayer
November 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Wichu, thx for trying to help. But is there nothing you can do about the script? The common event should be removing the first event behind the player. And I did think of how to solve my second problem, the one where the chars are swapped out of the room. But scripting wise, I have no idea. Can you help me?

Well, when you have 2 or 3 dependent events, you walk backwards, the whole party teleports behind you. Well, what if they only swap position with you one by one until you pass all of them? Like this, let 1,2,3,4 be the chars.

1,2,3,4 -----> 2,1,3,4 ----> 3,2,1,4 ------> 4,3,2,1

Well, is it very hard to achieve? And can you briefly explain to me what you command line did to help me earlier? Also what does the event compact do? I am trying to learn RGSS. Where did you start learning and how long did it took you?

Thanks again.

ForeverRed
November 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
hmm acn someone tell me why:
1. I walk on my table, trees etc and i have done the proprity thingy
2. I jump up the ledges too
3. i walk on the water

Wichu
November 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Check the layers above; make sure you're not erasing with anything except the very top-left tile (right-click to see what tile it is). If you accidentally used a passable tile to erase, then everything underneath will also be passable.

ForeverRed
November 30th, 2008, 02:35 AM
hmm still doesnt work :\

Atomic Reactor
November 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
what script do i edit to make so that space bar doesnt do anything?
Or is that unscriptable?

Wichu
November 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM
PokemonEntry, line 77. Remove the 0x20 fromreturn [0x43,0x0d,0x20]

Ty 101
November 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I have already asked this but, no one helped!

How do you make an in game trade?
OR,
How do you remove a specific Pokemon species from your party(only 1 of that species)?

Also

how do you do a mystery gift?

Also

Has anyone tested the trade thing that is in the pokemon essentials folder?
OR,
Does anyone know a different way to do trades?

Lady Berlitz
November 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I've finally tried to add a battle, and it seems to not work. I do know the problem, but I do not know how to fix it.

1. If I want to delete a Trainer Type/Battle, where can I do so?

2. In a script, how would I add the Trainer's statistics in the script, such as the Trainer's name, Pokémon, etc.? I seem to always get a SyntaxError when I play, and it has gotten quite bothersome...

Crazyninjaguy
November 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Heya, My first actual question concerning the starter kit ^^
Is there any way that I can access the Pokemon Storage system remotely from say, the Pokegear?
Also, how do I add cards to the Pokegear?
I hope someone can help, as I havn't a clue what to do.
But for the Remote Storage, would I have to write a script? because I don't know ruby.

Pika Storm
November 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
how do you insert the paint file for a world map? I canot find where this is (I need to insert Kanto). I am going to have 4, maybe 6 regions in my game, but there is only data for two world maps in the game right now

pkmn.master
November 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry for multi-posting.My first comment was ignored =)
I seem to have a problem with the non playable characters (NPCS) and battle sprites for example:When I uploaded a new trainer battle sprite and npc,the battle sprite had a white block around it during battle,same thing happend with an npc when placed and used. so,it didnt remove the white frame like it was suspose to. Does anyone know how to fix this or a website that has sprites and npcs specifically fixed in size for Pokemon Essentials?

Thanks in advance.

how do you insert the paint file for a world map? I canot find where this is (I need to insert Kanto). I am going to have 4, maybe 6 regions in my game, but there is only data for two world maps in the game right now

The Pokemon Essentials is made to where the world map is continually created automatically when you connect the town/route maps you made in the proper places.

Lady Berlitz
November 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I seem to have a problem with the non playable characters (NPCS) and battle sprites for example:When I uploaded a new trainer battle sprite and npc,the battle sprite had a white block around it during battle,same thing happend with an npc when placed and used. so,it didnt remove the white frame like it was suspose to. Does anyone know how to fix this or a website that has sprites and npcs specifically fixed in size for Pokemon Essentials?You seem to be having a problem with transparency. If you haven't noticed (you're probably very new), when you copy an image that is transparent into Paint, the background of it becomes black. Transparent means that it takes on the background where the image is posted (that is what makes the sprites move around in the game without having a white border).

pkmn.master
November 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
You seem to be having a problem with transparency. If you haven't noticed (you're probably very new), when you copy an image that is transparent into Paint, the background of it becomes black. Transparent means that it takes on the background where the image is posted (that is what makes the sprites move around in the game without having a white border).

Not to be rude or anything but I probalbly have more experience with rpg maker than the creator of rpg xp and mabey you i dont know how long youve had it.Ive been using rpgxp for 2 years and every single thing you said was the first thing i learned about rpgxp in 2005.I have my own game developement company devoted to using programs like this.I know what transparancy is,Im asking dose anyone know where to get npcs and battle sprites that are compatable(Same size and transparancy as the sprites in pokemon essentials).You see the real error im encountoring now is the npcs not working properly.the box that lets you choose which style of the npcs is smaller than the npc therefore cutting parts of the npc off because theyr'e not the right size. never judge a book by its cover by the way.just to let you know im a pro game designer and know c++ so,no im acually very old to this stuff.

MykehDoom
November 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Does anyone else here notice the ME it plays when healing your pokemon in the pokemon center doesnt work in the Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit. Anyone know how to fix this?

PokemonOI
November 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
if your making more than one region in your game how do you set it to where after getting 8 badges in the first region the trainer card resets and shows the new badges?

Lady Berlitz
December 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Not to be rude or anything but I probalbly have more experience with rpg maker than the creator of rpg xp and mabey you i dont know how long youve had it.Ive been using rpgxp for 2 years and every single thing you said was the first thing i learned about rpgxp in 2005.I have my own game developement company devoted to using programs like this.I know what transparancy is,Im asking dose anyone know where to get npcs and battle sprites that are compatable(Same size and transparancy as the sprites in pokemon essentials).You see the real error im encountoring now is the npcs not working properly.the box that lets you choose which style of the npcs is smaller than the npc therefore cutting parts of the npc off because theyr'e not the right size. never judge a book by its cover by the way.just to let you know im a pro game designer and know c++ so,no im acually very old to this stuff.Well, I misunderstood your question. You shouldn't get too personal; and I wasn't "judging a book by its cover", I simply thought you were new because I thought your question was about transparency. Sorry.

Pika Storm
December 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
thank you, but how do you change the background that the map shows so that is is not just a green screen?

<~F.M.P~>
December 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
if your making more than one region in your game how do you set it to where after getting 8 badges in the first region the trainer card resets and shows the new badges?

I'm pretty sure that has to be done through script, but just to be sure, I'd ask someone who's created more than one region in there game, or as OG.

ryanparker
December 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
this may sound stupid but how do you get a npc to say how many pokemon you have seen using the $Trainer.pokedexSeen

MykehDoom
December 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
I cant get the wildpokemonbattle music, pokemon center healing song, and the fishing animation doesnt work. Anyway to fix them?

Also how do I have multiple layers on the map? It seems the starter kit makes the game all one layer. >_>

Florio
December 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
If anyone has a script for pokemon evolving after using a certain move (like how piloswine evolves when using ancient power) pm me please :) I really need it.

ultron90
December 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
how do i change the screen to DP size? i'm having trouble with that.

O.G. Duke
December 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
how do i change the screen to DP size? i'm having trouble with that.

Just go to SpriteResizer line 11 and 12.
Change the width and height to DS size.

But, you'll need to edit almost all script for the coordinate x and y.
The pictures. and so on.
Its really hard.

MykehDoom
December 4th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I know this is a dumb question but how do I add pokemon to the party?

Anuhrima
December 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
can anyone help me with this http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ross61_2008/capture001.jpg?t=1228426281

Florio
December 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
can anyone help me with this http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ross61_2008/capture001.jpg?t=1228426281
the arm of frame 2 goes onto frame 1
Make sure each part is 128x128
basically if you didn't understand that is you need to push that part of the picture over.

Anuhrima
December 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
problem already solved before you said that

mini poliwag
December 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
how do u make solid walls

solid unpassable areas that u cant walk in

and also could u tell me exactly wat layers each sort of thing should go on

?Alistair?
December 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I am getting this error, but I don't get how I can fix it :/

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 17, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1953:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:2869:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:2940

OK

Anuhrima
December 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM
can someone help me with this http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ross61_2008/anim003.jpg

Hardy Har Har
December 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'm planning to make Castform change sprites in any weather condition. Do I need to edit pbForecast to do that? Or I'll add a script section to PokemonUtilities?

It took me months to think deeply what to do with that.

partyghoul2000
December 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I'm planning to make Castform change sprites in any weather condition. Do I need to edit pbForecast to do that? Or I'll add a script section to PokemonUtilities?

It took me months to think deeply what to do with that.

i believe that wichu put together a multiple form script for castform and others. although, i haven't seen a release of the script yet. :(

MykehDoom
December 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know how to get the game to show weather effects in battle?

Hardy Har Har
December 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM
i believe that wichu put together a multiple form script for castform and others. although, i haven't seen a release of the script yet. :(

I think he's busy with Amethyst, that's why. (I think I'll re-upload some alternate form sprites...) I like to try to modify and make my own, but I have low disk space--I can't backup my entire game and I'm scared of modifying it to the point that my game won't run properly, and make me start from the very beginning.

MykehDoom
December 7th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Does anyone know how to get the game to show weather effects in battle?

Wichu
December 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM

I did make a script for multiple forms; however, it doesn't include Castform's transformations. It's for Deoxys and similar Pokémon, such as Shellos or Rotom.

Pika Storm
December 7th, 2008, 11:07 AM
hod do I insert a map if I have the map file?

?Alistair?
December 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I am getting this error, but I don't get how I can fix it :/

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 17, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1953:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:2869:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:2940

OK

pkmn.master
December 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Well, I misunderstood your question. You shouldn't get too personal; and I wasn't "judging a book by its cover", I simply thought you were new because I thought your question was about transparency. Sorry.

No, I'm the one who should be apologizing.Im sorry.I'm just having an awful time with adding new npcs.Every place I go,the npcs are on sprite sheets and need to be cut and made seperate,but its hard .The thing is they must be made 128 by 256 in order to work,but they are not.When I streach it to 128 by 256
they mess up.I need help.How can I get npcs that will work and be normal onto rpgxp.Is there an easier way than cutting and streaching that wont come to a messy outcome.Or is there a website that gives seperate 128 by 256 NPCS that will work?I try using spriters reasorce but the only have sprite sheets with like a hundred small npcs attached to it.can someone help?

partyghoul2000
December 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
No, I'm the one who should be apologizing.Im sorry.I'm just having an awful time with adding new npcs.Every place I go,the npcs are on sprite sheets and need to be cut and made seperate,but its hard .The thing is they must be made 128 by 256 in order to work,but they are not.When I streach it to 128 by 256
they mess up.I need help.How can I get npcs that will work and be normal onto rpgxp.Is there an easier way than cutting and streaching that wont come to a messy outcome.Or is there a website that gives seperate 128 by 256 NPCS that will work?I try using spriters reasorce but the only have sprite sheets with like a hundred small npcs attached to it.can someone help?

i've personally run into this stretching problem myself. the only solution i've come up with is to manually double the size, pixel by pixel. if anybody knows a program that could enlarge sprites pixel by pixel, instead of stretching, that'd be awesome.

?Alistair?
December 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
This probably seems like a really stupid questoin, but what is the script event that calls the Pokémon Centre. As in, PBPokemonMart calls the pre made pokémart - so how do call the pokemon center >.<

Ty 101
December 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I am having a problem with rock smash!

Help me!

If I did not explain enough please tell me.

MykehDoom
December 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah you didn't explain enough, umm what KIND of problem are you having?

ultron90
December 9th, 2008, 05:28 AM
how come the terrain tag 13 doesn't work? it's been bugging me because i can't make a bridge. please anyone help me. n thanx OG for the screen resizing thing.

PoKéMaKeR
December 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM
.wysiwyg { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; FONT: 10pt tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } .wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_alink { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:visited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_avisited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:hover { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg A:active { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg_ahover { COLOR: #ff4400 } P { MARGIN: 0px } .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } This probably seems like a really stupid questoin, but what is the script event that calls the Pokémon Centre. As in, PBPokemonMart calls the pre made pokémart - so how do call the pokemon center >.<

Call this script first: Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter
Then make some text like " Welcome to the Pokémon Center.. ect"
then call the following
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Jdgcreations/tjerk.png

and also make a second page like this one:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Jdgcreations/tjerk2.png

Help me!

Tell some more, is it something like you can't use it or you can even if you don't have the correct badge, this sentence doesn't contain enough information to help:P

PoKéMaKeR

DE5PA1R
December 9th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hey, guys. I just got this program a couple of days ago and have been messing around on it. I ran into a very basic problem that's probably easily remedied. Unfortunately, I'm still a newb in the programming/mapping department.

I made a simple overworld map. I have not changed the terrain tags. When the player approaches certain houses, he stops like he should when hitting a solid object. However, when approaching other houses, he walks right over them. The houses are on the same layers and have the same terrain tags (0).

Likewise, the player can walk on top of fences but not signs (whether they have an event or not). What's my problem?

PoKéMaKeR
December 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hey, guys. I just got this program a couple of days ago and have been messing around on it. I ran into a very basic problem that's probably easily remedied. Unfortunately, I'm still a newb in the programming/mapping department.

I made a simple overworld map. I have not changed the terrain tags. When the player approaches certain houses, he stops like he should when hitting a solid object. However, when approaching other houses, he walks right over them. The houses are on the same layers and have the same terrain tags (0).

Likewise, the player can walk on top of fences but not signs (whether they have an event or not). What's my problem?

You haven't changed the passabillity of those houses, you have to make them unpassable, else you keep this problem ofcourse :P

PoKéMaKeR

DE5PA1R
December 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
You haven't changed the passabillity of those houses, you have to make them unpassable, else you keep this problem ofcourse :P

PoKéMaKeR

Ok, I found it. Thanks for your help!

Ty 101
December 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Help me!

When I try to use rock smash the following text is shown:
This rock appears breakable. Would you like to use Rock Smash?
Yes
No
(If yes)
???????? used Rock Smash.

Then this error comes up:

Pokemon Essentials

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined local variable or method `pbRockSmashRandomEncounter' for #<Interpreter:0x5116518>

Interpreter:1615:in `eval'

Interpreter:1615:in `command_355'

Interpreter:250:in `pbExecuteScript'

OK

If you want a screenshot I can make one.

Why is your name ????????

PoKéMaKeR
December 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yes
No
(If yes)

Pokemon Essentials

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined local variable or method `pbRockSmashRandomEncounter' for #<Interpreter:0x5116518>

OK

mmm strange, about the error the ????? thing is because of you playing in the editor Poccil added something that make you able to use all HM's even if you don't have the right badge or pokemon, but about the error I would like to have a screenshot from your event from the rocksmash so I could help'

PoKéMaKeR

Edit: "Why is your name ????????" you mean my name?

victorspvl
December 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Please help-me with 2 questions.

ok guys i noticed something and wanted to know if it was just me....I downloaded the new version anyway when ever my poke grow's a level during test play and it shows the how much the stats went up, the defense stat is on the line below it....anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it..im gonna attemp to inlude a screenshot..not sure how exactly

Here it is if it works >>: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n105/curt200518/Screenshot.png

Later Guyz and Galz

with me too!!!!
how can I fix this?

and

I would like to know how to choose the attacks by a wild Pokémon.
Example:

pbWildBattle (
:: PBSpecies: LUGIA, 50.1)

she had wanted the attacks: RECOVER, GUST, Safeguard and ROAR.

How I do that?

Please help! I need very much this!

thedudemister
December 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Somewhere on this thread there was a package with all of the resized DP overworlds in it. Can someone tell me what page it is on or repost it please. Thank you.

MykehDoom
December 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
resized overworlds? You mean the charsets?

Ty 101
December 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yes
No
(If yes)

Pokemon Essentials

OK

OK! I mean why is the name of the character ????????.

And here is the screenshot.

~JV~
December 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
your name is ??????????? because you are in debug mode and there youre able to use all HMs =].

PokemonOI
December 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I need help. for some reason I get this error:

Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `pbFlashLight' for #<PokemonBagScreen:0x4dee870>
PokemonItems:229:in `pbUseItemFromBag'
PokemonItems:944:in `pbUseItem'
PokemonBag:1100:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonBag:1051:in `loop'
PokemonBag:1140:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:166:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:165:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:165:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:132:in `loop'
PokemonMenu:233:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

poccil
December 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I have returned. I would like someone to update me on problems, tips and tricks, tutorials, and so on so I can update the documentation for Pokemon Essentials, preferably by private message. I am interested in seeing all that Pokemon Essentials can do.

Again, it should be a private message because it's a chore wading through the posts looking for tips, errors, and problems.

PokemonOI
December 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I need help. for some reason I get this error:

Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `pbFlashLight' for #<PokemonBagScreen:0x4dee870>
PokemonItems:229:in `pbUseItemFromBag'
PokemonItems:944:in `pbUseItem'
PokemonBag:1100:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonBag:1051:in `loop'
PokemonBag:1140:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:166:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:165:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:165:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:132:in `loop'
PokemonMenu:233:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Nevermind answering this. I have this fixed now.

Wichu
December 11th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I have returned. I would like someone to update me on problems, tips and tricks, tutorials, and so on so I can update the documentation for Pokemon Essentials, preferably by private message. I am interested in seeing all that Pokemon Essentials can do.

Again, it should be a private message because it's a chore wading through the posts looking for tips, errors, and problems.

Yay, you're back! Does this mean we'll be seeing some updates again? The latest version is nearly 2 months old... I might PM you a few things concerning it.

DE5PA1R
December 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I've started adding the D/P moves to PBS/moves.txt That part's easy enough. Now I need to know how to tell the game the "function code" of each move; basically, what the move does. For example, the move "Roost" has a function code of D6. Basically, is there a way I can tell Essentials what D6 does? Not only is this vital to importing D/P moves, it's vital to making up my own. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Notes.html>advanced.html mentions PokeBattle_MoveEffects. I assume that's where I'd go to get started. I guess I just need a little help deciphering the scripts.

MykehDoom
December 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Dude despair could you possibly share that with me once you get it working? I really need it for my game.

DE5PA1R
December 11th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Dude despair could you possibly share that with me once you get it working? I really need it for my game.

I'd love to, but I've just started and there are over 100 new moves and effects that I would need to add. So even assuming that I can figure out how to edit the scripts I need to, it'll be at least a month; probably two.

Again, I need to be sure that I am able to do the most important part: move effects. If I can, I might be starting a new thread to enlist some help with the easy stuff once I get accustomed to the system. And if I got a few volunteers, that would definitely speed things up.

MykehDoom
December 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Well I have a question for you, do you know how to make animations for attacks that are different for the enemy and hero? Like Growl, flame thrower, etc?

ultron90
December 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM
how come the terrain tag 13 doesn't work? it's been bugging me because i can't make a bridge.

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME? please.

MykehDoom
December 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
It does work? You have to use a script too, depending on the kind of bridge your using. Look in starter kit on the map with the bridge going between the two ledges. Look at the events and you'll see.

@ Despair: Well I have a question for you, do you know how to make animations for attacks that are different for the enemy and hero? Like Growl, flame thrower, etc?

DE5PA1R
December 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
It does work? You have to use a script too, depending on the kind of bridge your using. Look in starter kit on the map with the bridge going between the two ledges. Look at the events and you'll see.

@ Despair: Well I have a question for you, do you know how to make animations for attacks that are different for the enemy and hero? Like Growl, flame thrower, etc?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about animations. I'm still a semi-newb.

MykehDoom
December 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Ahh I've been on here since 2005. x_x I just don't know what to name the animations for attacks that are different for hero, and enemys.

ultron90
December 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM

i checked in the starter kit. the tiles were using 0 terrain tags. when i use terrain tag 13, it's just like a normal walking tile. i can't go under it.

MykehDoom
December 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hmm I suck at mapping buy you might have to set the bridges priority to 1-5 in the tileset editor.

DE5PA1R
December 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Again: Can I get some help with scripting? I'm trying to add D/P moves into the Essentials kit. Really, if someone just told me the scripting language that Pokemon Essentials uses, I could try to do my own research from there.

Exiled~Shadow
December 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I dont know about pokemon essentials but i know rmxp uses ruby....

<~F.M.P~>
December 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Again: Can I get some help with scripting? I'm trying to add D/P moves into the Essentials kit. Really, if someone just told me the scripting language that Pokemon Essentials uses, I could try to do my own research from there.

Well actually It uses Ruby, and Rgss(Ruby gaming scripting system). I'm currently learning how to script with them both.

DE5PA1R
December 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Well actually It uses Ruby, and Rgss(Ruby gaming scripting system). I'm currently learning how to script with them both.

Thanks for the response. I don't suppose you'd know how to add move effects into PokeBattle_MoveEffects? I mean, I've figured out how to pull up the script editor, I'm just not sure what all I can do with it; what commands are valid, etc.

For example, let's say I wanted to add "Roost" into the list of moves in the Essentials kit. Roost does 3 things:

1. Restores HP. Adding that effect is easy enough; just basically copy and paste from a move like recover.
2. Anulls the Pokemon's Flying type. I have no idea how I would do that.
3. Negates abilities like Levitate. I'm actually not sure whether or not this would be included in #2's effect. Again, I have no idea where to get started.

I realize I'm asking a pretty in-depth question here, so if it's too difficult to explain or you aren't completely sure how it could be done, that's fine. I would appreciate even a link to a tutorial explaining Ruby.

<~F.M.P~>
December 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the response. I don't suppose you'd know how to add move effects into PokeBattle_MoveEffects? I mean, I've figured out how to pull up the script editor, I'm just not sure what all I can do with it; what commands are valid, etc.

For example, let's say I wanted to add "Roost" into the list of moves in the Essentials kit. Roost does 3 things:

1. Restores HP. Adding that effect is easy enough; just basically copy and paste from a move like recover.
2. Anulls the Pokemon's Flying type. I have no idea how I would do that.
3. Negates abilities like Levitate. I'm actually not sure whether or not this would be included in #2's effect. Again, I have no idea where to get started.

I realize I'm asking a pretty in-depth question here, so if it's too difficult to explain or you aren't completely sure how it could be done, that's fine. I would appreciate even a link to a tutorial explaining Ruby.

Hmmm...I'll look into it, and I'll send you a link in a PM.

thedudemister
December 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
resized overworlds? You mean the charsets?
Yes, I do. I had them once before but I lost them when my previous computer died. I need them for my game. Thank you.

rhevarhe_duh
December 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM
i have a question.
how to move the text arrow?
from default one, to d/p style. *see attachment

poccil
December 12th, 2008, 04:42 AM
rhevarhe_duh:

Fortunately, that's easy. Go to the script section "SpriteWindow" in the script editor, go to line 2349, and find these lines:

@pausesprite.x=self.x+self.startX+rcdst.x+rcdst.width-2
@pausesprite.y=self.y+self.startY+rcdst.y-@scrollY

Change them to this:

pauseWidth=@pausesprite.bitmap ? @pausesprite.framewidth : 16
pauseHeight=@pausesprite.bitmap ? @pausesprite.frameheight : 16
@pausesprite.x=self.x+self.width-(20*2)+(pauseWidth/2)
@pausesprite.y=self.y+self.height-(28*2)+(pauseHeight/2)

I hope this helps.

rhevarhe_duh
December 12th, 2008, 06:29 AM
rhevarhe_duh:

Fortunately, that's easy. Go to the script section "SpriteWindow" in the script editor, go to line 2349, and find these lines:

@pausesprite.x=self.x+self.startX+rcdst.x+rcdst.width-2
@pausesprite.y=self.y+self.startY+rcdst.y-@scrollY
Change them to this:

pauseWidth=@pausesprite.bitmap ? @pausesprite.framewidth : 16
pauseHeight=@pausesprite.bitmap ? @pausesprite.framesheight : 16
@pausesprite.x=self.x+self.width-(20*2)+(pauseWidth/2)
@pausesprite.y=self.y+self.height-(28*2)+(pauseHeight/2)
I hope this helps.

it doesn't work, poccil. when i try it, i got this error:

Pokemon Essentials
Message: undefined method `framesheight' for #<AnimatedSprite:0x5f1b318>
SpriteWindow:2349:in `refresh'
SpriteWindow:2423:in `update'
PokemonMessages:1263:in `pbDisplayMessageFancy'
PokemonMessages:741:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages:473:in `command_101'
Interpreter:277:in `execute_command'
however, thanks for the help poccil.
your starter kit is the best! :D

poccil
December 12th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I made a mistake when writing the code above: Change "framesheight" to "frameheight".

rhevarhe_duh
December 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
thanks poccil. it works fine now.
i must say, you're the best. :D

DE5PA1R
December 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Crap. Ok, I edited a move in PBS->Moves.txt and followed it up by editing PokeBattle_MoveEffects. When trying to open the Essentials Editor, it freezes while "Compiling Move Data" and shows this error:

Message: Invalid quoted field (in: The user whips up a turbulent whirlwind that ups the Speed of all party Pokémon for three turns.")
File PBS/moves.txt, line 367
The user whips up a turbulent whirlwind that ups the Speed of all party Pokémon for three turns."

Compiler:134:in `csvfield!'
Compiler:1943:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:415:in `pbGetCsvRecord'
Compiler:365:in `each'
Compiler:365:in `pbGetCsvRecord'
Compiler:1005:in `pbCompileMoves'
Compiler:1004:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'
Compiler:515:in `each_line'
Compiler:515:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'
Compiler:512:in `open'

The move in Moves.txt looks like this:
355,ROOST,ROOST,D6,0,FLYING,Status,0,10,0,10,0,dg,Cool,"The user lands and rests its body. It restores the user's HP by up to half of its maximum HP."

The move in PokeBattle_MoveEffects looks like this:
class PokeBattle_Move_D6 < PokeBattle_Move
def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
if attacker.hp==attacker.totalhp
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s HP is full!",attacker.pbThis))
return -1
else
@battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,nil)
hpgain=(attacker.totalhp/2).floor
attacker.pbRecoverHP(hpgain)
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} regained health!",attacker.phThis))
return 0
end
end
end

What can I do to fix this?

I know I ask a lot of questions here, but that's because I'm still learning and to me, this is some pretty tough stuff. I sincerely appreciate any help.

Forever Forbidden
December 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
im a little annoyed now, so im gonna ask poccil directly,
how do i set a rival and call his name input screen and then call his name in a text passage?

MykehDoom
December 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
That's something I'm wondering as well.

Anuhrima
December 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
when i play my game the hole screen is black

MykehDoom
December 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Well.. whatd you change?

ForeverRed
December 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
hmm i want to change the pause arrow to the dpp one and it is bigger than the box that contained the original sprite of "pause".
this is what came up when i tried it:
Pokémon Ammolite
Message: Bitmap's width (72) is not a multiple of frame width (14)
SpriteWindow:2554:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:2409:in `new'
SpriteWindow:2409:in `allocPause'
SpriteWindow:2415:in `startPause'
SpriteWindow:2396:in `update'
PokemonMessages:1263:in `pbDisplayMessageFancy'
PokemonMessages:741:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages:473:in `command_101'
Interpreter:277:in `execute_command'

Anuhrima
December 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
all i did was fix what poccil told me to fix

poccil
December 12th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Red Gyrados:

You must make the bitmap's width divisible by the number of frames in the animation. Since the script expects a 4-frame bitmap you must make the width divisible by 4. See the example in Graphics/Pictures/pause.png, which is the default pause bitmap. Unfortunately, its size should not be changed at the moment. In an updated version, the pause graphic should be any size as long as its width is divisible by 4.

ForeverRed
December 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
dont you mean 14? not 4
becasue it says four in the thing

Geeked
December 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hey, my Game is not Normal, Your apart of the Evil Team.. Just wondering how can I make it so You can use a certain type of Ball to catch the trainers Pokes?

mad.array
December 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
@xray: Ok, first of all you need to define your ball. in your projects PBS folder go to items.txt and open it up. You'll need to add a new item that represents your ball at the bottom of the text file. It will look something like this.

502,SHADOWBALL,SHADOW BALL,2,400,"An illegal BALL that can be used to catch a trainers POKéMON.",0,2

502 is the item number and there should be a graphic called "item502.png" in the "graphics/items" folder, this will show up when you view the item in the menu. The graphic should be 48*48 pixels.
SHADOWBALL is the internal name of the item and is used to identify the item in any code.
SHADOW BALL is the name that will appear in the menu for the item
2 identifies the item as a BALL.
400 is the price of the item
The text inside the "quotation marks" will be the descritption text that shows up for the item.
0 tells the game that the item can be used only in battle
2 tells the game that when the item is used, it is a ball.

I'm going to assume that these values are the ones that you use.

Ok, now you need to go into the scripts (Press F11 in RMXP). Find the PokeBattle_Battle script. At the top there should be a section called 'def pbGetBallType(ball)'

You need to stick a comma at the end of the PREMIERBALL line then add a new line that reads:

:SHADOWBALL

Ok, now you need to find a section that reads

when PBItems::NESTBALL
if battler.level<30
rareness*=(40-battler.level)/10
end

It should be around line 119. After that you'll need a new section to tell the game how likely the ball is to catch the pokémon.

when PBItems::SHADOWBALL
rareness*=2

In this example I've made the Ball have the same success rate as an Ultra Ball, you can look at the examples if you want the ball to have a different success rate but I'm not sure how to give it the same rate as a normal Poké Ball. You should then copy and paste this code at the end of line 213.

Ok, now for the part that tells the code that the Shadow Ball CAN catch trainers Pokémon. Line 78 of PokeBattle_Battle should contain this code:

if @opponent

Simply change that to this:

if @opponent and itemname != "SHADOWBALL"

That should do it! I haven't actually tested this but I think I've covered everything. If there are any problems then just let me know and I'll have a look at it. I hope that this helps!

DE5PA1R
December 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hey, LokiFerne! You seem like you know what you're doing. Can you describe how to make a new move? I know I have to edit PBmoves.txt, edit the move aimation, and edit the PokeBattle_MoveEffects script. What else do I need to do?

mad.array
December 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ok DE5PA1R. This is a slightly more complex explanation than the last one. If you PM me the details of an example move that you want adding I'll help you as much as I can. It depends on what exactly you want the move to do. If it's a simple attack then there won't be that much involved, but if you're adding a new move effect (an effect that can or does happen when the move is used) then it will require quite a bit of scripting.

Crazyninjaguy
December 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Everytime I compile my game or run the editor,
all the door warp targets move one place back,
like your're in a house, you'll go out, and you'll be stuck in the door, even though I put the warp target one tile ahead of the door so I could actually walk about.

Does anyone know why it does this?
I've downloaded the latest version of the starter kit but, well, it still does it...
Can anyone help?
I'm desperate as my game keeps messing up everytime I compile it :/

Hikari Swordsman
December 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Hello.

I'd like to ask, How can I remove some options on the Options Screen?

sugarbits
December 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
>,< so interesting ..... VERY SKILLLED !!!!!

MykehDoom
December 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Whats the success rate of the master ball? I wanted to replace the master ball with a shadow ball.

I got an error when I tried adding the Shadow Ball to my bag. =/

http://i33.tinypic.com/29vatk2.png

Wichu
December 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Everytime I compile my game or run the editor,
all the door warp targets move one place back,
like your're in a house, you'll go out, and you'll be stuck in the door, even though I put the warp target one tile ahead of the door so I could actually walk about.

Does anyone know why it does this?
I've downloaded the latest version of the starter kit but, well, it still does it...
Can anyone help?
I'm desperate as my game keeps messing up everytime I compile it :/

It's supposed to do that. If you follow the instructions on making door events in Notes.html, it will work properly (and look better).

Anuhrima
December 13th, 2008, 03:22 PM
umm nobody has solved my proble

MykehDoom
December 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ummm undo the fix then. It's what broke your game.

Anuhrima
December 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
If i do that then i will be back to square one with the first problem

MykehDoom
December 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well it's either that, or let your game remain broken. =/

Anuhrima
December 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
omg jesus christ if only poccil were here to help
WHERE ARE YOU POCCIL WE NEED YOU

Hardy Har Har
December 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM
To make Castform/Cherrim change sprites during battles, what should I add to PokemonUtilities?

Hello.

I'd like to ask, How can I remove some options on the Options Screen?
Try to remove some lines from PokemonOption

EDIT: Another question: How do I move that box during battles that says:
Fight Bag
Pokemon Run

I need to move it to the top in order to mimic the battle system from Platinum, like the new battle system in the thread of Amethyst, that's why I ask this question.

Mrchewy
December 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hey folks, just a quick question. I've been playing around with Essentials alot recently, and am currently trying to revamp the battle system to be more similar to that of Diamond/Pearl (this includes the screen resolution change). So far I've managed to customise the health boxes etc. by moving them around but I can't seem to find where to edit the drawing positions for the battle bases and battler sprites. If anyone could give me some line numbers or something that'd be great.

MykehDoom
December 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Could you please share your health boxes with me? =[

Anuhrima
December 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM
i recently changed my battle box to Platinum style and i was wondering is that why i have the screen black

MykehDoom
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Platinum style? Could you possibly share your resources?

Mrchewy
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I am planning to revamp most of the interface elements into DP style for my project, but I'll probably release it for others sometime down the track. In the meantime however, I do need some help in finding out where to reposition these elements. I can do it fine, I just need to find it all inside the mass of code.

MykehDoom
December 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
You could message poccil and ask him?

Hardy Har Har
December 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I wonder why my question earlier is still unanswered?

Hall Of Famer
December 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Haven't been here for a long time and this starterkit still looks perfect. Btw, do we have to upgrade the version manually as it was months ago? Is there any easier way for upgrading? I'm just unable to do that by myself...

Hardy Har Har
December 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I am planning to revamp most of the interface elements into DP style for my project, but I'll probably release it for others sometime down the track. In the meantime however, I do need some help in finding out where to reposition these elements. I can do it fine, I just need to find it all inside the mass of code.
I have a script for that but I used Platinum HP-boxes instead. It's still currently a revised version of the Platinum battle system for Flame of Destiny (its my game, url in sig). I may share it if the question below is answered to complete it.

Now for my question:
How to change the battle transition (not the field-to-black, but the black-to-battle before the game says "PKMN Trainer would like to battle")?

Wichu
December 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Now for my question:
How to change the battle transition (not the field-to-black, but the black-to-battle before the game says "PKMN Trainer would like to battle")?

It's not an ordinary transition; rather, it's done through scripts. Find these lines in PokeBattle_ActualScene (around line 1609):
if @viewport.rect.y>Graphics.height/4
@viewport.rect.y-=2
@viewport.rect.height+=4
elsif @viewport.rect.y>0
@viewport.rect.y-=4
@viewport.rect.height+=8
end
for i in @sprites
i[1].ox=@viewport.rect.x
i[1].oy=@viewport.rect.y
end
These make the viewport's height increase until it touches the top, while moving it up to keep it in the centre of the screen. You'll probably want to change these.

DE5PA1R
December 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
LokiFerne and I have recently begun to upload the D/P moves into the Pokemon Essentials kit. We plan on releasing it to the members of this forum when the project is complete. As of right now, LokiFerne is the scriptor and I am doing the more monotonous work, of which there is a ton of. If anyone would like to help, feel free to PM me saying so. While the work I can provide is monotonous, it is simple and straightforward. Anyone who helps will get credit when we post the final project. If you are an experienced scriptor and are reading this and have an interest in helping, I'd prefer it if you PMed LokiFerne directly, simply because going through me isn't necessary and I'm not highly involved in the scripting aspect.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and remember that the more people can help, the faster the project will be completed! Thanks!

Wichu
December 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I could provide the Moves.txt file, and might also share my scripts. Not sure on the scripts part yet, though...

Trace
December 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM
How would I go about changing the textbox colour to pure black, no white outline?
Also, the same thing, but with the "fight message box" in battle.

Thanks.

Anuhrima
December 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
RandomMap:63
RandomMap:58:in `call'
EventScene:580:in `trigger'
EventScene:579:in `each'
EventScene:579:in `trigger'
Game_Map*:53:in `setup'
PokemonMap:667:in `setup'
PokemonLoad:346:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:319:in `open'
PokemonLoad:319:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
can someone help me with this

Wichu
December 16th, 2008, 02:38 AM
How would I go about changing the textbox colour to pure black, no white outline?
Also, the same thing, but with the "fight message box" in battle.

Thanks.

Couldn't you just edit the textbox graphic? Or am I missing something here?

MykehDoom
December 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Does anyone here have any move animations they'd be willing to share?

PokemonOI
December 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know How to edit the background of the pokemon evolving screen? The background behind the evolving pokemon?

Pokehero22
December 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know How to edit the background of the pokemon evolving screen? The background behind the evolving pokemon?

In the game folder, look for this doccument:

Graphics/Pictures/evobg.png

Hope that answered you question :D

DE5PA1R
December 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Is there a way to change the player's default name? For example, in Pokemon Fire Red, the player name is defaulted to Red if the player doesn't type in anything at the name screen. In the Essentials kit, the player has several different default names. Where are these names located and how could I change them? Thanks in advance!

Anuhrima
December 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
RandomMap:63
RandomMap:58:in `call'
EventScene:580:in `trigger'
EventScene:579:in `each'
EventScene:579:in `trigger'
Game_Map*:53:in `setup'
PokemonMap:667:in `setup'
PokemonLoad:346:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:319:in `open'
PokemonLoad:319:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
can someone help me with this
ummm........yeah
can someone really help me with this

Hikari Swordsman
December 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hello.

I'd like to ask, how could I only put for examkple, an event, and the event's graphic ( the character graphic) it's just a... let's say... a legendary pokemon, and when you touch it, a message saying "ROAAR" and then you battle the Pokemon.

How could I do that?
Thank you.

crzyone9584
December 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
well i've got an error i can't figure out do to there shouldnt be trback000 in panamas folder

Pokemon Essentials

Message: Failed to load bitmap: Graphics/Panoramas/trback000

BitmapCache:365:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:414:in `panorama'

SpriteWindow:2752:in `setPanorama'

Spriteset_Map:191:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:92:in `update'

Spriteset_Map:44:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

AnimationSprite:55:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:207:in `initialize'

Scene_Map:26:in `new'

Scene_Map:26:in `createSpritesets'

OK
this is just started once i got to my new map. map 54 or 55.

I just added the image to the panama's it works just fine now.

MykehDoom
December 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Weird... what'd you change?

Hardy Har Har
December 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM
It's not an ordinary transition; rather, it's done through scripts. Find these lines in PokeBattle_ActualScene (around line 1609):
if @viewport.rect.y>Graphics.height/4
@viewport.rect.y-=2
@viewport.rect.height+=4
elsif @viewport.rect.y>0
@viewport.rect.y-=4
@viewport.rect.height+=8
end
for i in @sprites
i[1].ox=@viewport.rect.x
i[1].oy=@viewport.rect.y
endThese make the viewport's height increase until it touches the top, while moving it up to keep it in the centre of the screen. You'll probably want to change these.
The transition that I mean is like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkC_Z91qmDY

LokiFerne and I have recently begun to upload the D/P moves into the Pokemon Essentials kit. We plan on releasing it to the members of this forum when the project is complete. As of right now, LokiFerne is the scriptor and I am doing the more monotonous work, of which there is a ton of. If anyone would like to help, feel free to PM me saying so. While the work I can provide is monotonous, it is simple and straightforward. Anyone who helps will get credit when we post the final project. If you are an experienced scriptor and are reading this and have an interest in helping, I'd prefer it if you PMed LokiFerne directly, simply because going through me isn't necessary and I'm not highly involved in the scripting aspect.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and remember that the more people can help, the faster the project will be completed! Thanks!
Is Close Combat already uploaded?

Shun
December 17th, 2008, 04:15 AM
How do i change the regons name from Sample Region to whatever and also how do i use my own map in the visual edoitor instead of the sample map or the hoenn region?

Konekodemon
December 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM
when using this how do I get the background color off of the trainer picture, cause it appears behind the trainer on the card and in the intro where it asks you if your a boy or girl, anyway how do I get it to just display the character not the background

DE5PA1R
December 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Sorry, but LokiFerne and I are still working on the D/P moves and we will not be releasing the project in segments or individual moves but rather as a complete set in the future.

when using this how do I get the background color off of the trainer picture, cause it appears behind the trainer on the card and in the intro where it asks you if your a boy or girl, anyway how do I get it to just display the character not the background

If you've edited the character graphic in, say, paint or another similar program that doesn't allow editing of the background, you'll need to use another program that will let you edit the background. Photoshop and Paint.Net can both do that, and Paint.net is free (just google it and go to their site for the download). Then, open up the character's graphic in either program and erase the background with the eraser tool. Afterward, save the image and the graphic should be good.

Hope that helped!

Konekodemon
December 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
i tried that, it didn't work, it messed up my image, and i erased the character by mistake

mad.array
December 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Not yet, I'm using the eeny-meeny-miny-mo method of picking which moves to work on and I haven't got to Close Combat yet. =P

Konekodemon
December 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I can't get it to work right, could someone fix these for me

Male: http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4062/trainer000lv4.png

Female: http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6021/trainer001by7.png

will someone please help me, I know I'm being impatence but this thing about the trainer image background thing is getting on my nerves

MykehDoom
December 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Well the male trainer sprite is badly resized. I could gladly help you.

Konekodemon
December 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
cool, thanks, a lot, that would really help

wandererwillow
December 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Any news on online trading yet? My brother and I did a test on the servers, got as far as getting the server to load through hamachi, were able to connect, register, and see eachother, but once we tried connecting, one (if not both) of us locked up. We both have .net framework, and no firewalls up. Now, I'm guessing that the issue isn't the server itself, as we can see it, and eachother. Have there been any developments or troubleshooting tips to fix any sort of connection issue like this?

Hall Of Famer
December 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well I didn't realize that the surfing and bicycle theme have been added to the new starter kit. Good job dude and please keep this up.
;)

Wichu
December 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Any news on online trading yet? My brother and I did a test on the servers, got as far as getting the server to load through hamachi, were able to connect, register, and see eachother, but once we tried connecting, one (if not both) of us locked up. We both have .net framework, and no firewalls up. Now, I'm guessing that the issue isn't the server itself, as we can see it, and eachother. Have there been any developments or troubleshooting tips to fix any sort of connection issue like this?

I've tried using the server, and I think it is a problem with the server. A single player can connect just fine; however, a second player logging on crashes both games.
Also, if you close the game window without logging off, it will think you're still logged on and won't let you connect again.
It's a shame, because I was hoping to test my online battling script :(

wandererwillow
December 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I'd like to believe that if some work was done with it, both trading and battling could be done, and could create a pretty damn good experience for anyone using this kit. I've been tearing this thing apart and finding every little detail I can use to make my game better, and I guess online trading was one I really hoped to get working, considering that all the pokemon in my game are custom and I have a decent fan-base for my work.

I'm curious though...has it ever worked? I went through and read the release information and saw that he added info on how to set the server up, so I'm guessing that at some point it did, in fact, work...but I'm not seeing anything very promising. Someone else had mentioned in this long as hell thread that there may be another way, so I'll test that later, but at the least I'd like to see some more work on the online portion, as trading and battling online would be a huge leap above any and everything else in my mind.

As well, I agree, server commands (maybe a GUI) would be great for the server, so we can kick users if need be. Had to keep restarting the server left and right due to the same issue you had, with it locking up but not removing me for being timed out. I may look into it's coding and have it drop anyone that doesn't respond within a certain amount of time, but I'd rather have an ability to just kick someone.

Still, amazing work. Much easier (and more efficient) than cracking a rom, especially when using custom pokemon. A great bit of work here.

ultron90
December 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM
how do i change the color for the night and day tints? (i think that's how to call it)

MykehDoom
December 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Can someone make it show the shadows don't show during the day?

PokemonOI
December 18th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Does anyone knoe how to edit this screen in the game? like the background.
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/ldm92/capture056.png

Mrchewy
December 18th, 2008, 06:10 AM
@Shaggy: Yes, he gave you the right transition. It's rather simply hard-coded in, but that *is* the transition in Essentials, more or less.

@PokemonOI: I'm on my iPhone at the moment so I can't check, but off the top of my head it's in PokemonLoad. It checks for a picture named loadbg.png and if I can't find one, it just fills the screen with color (this is done by default). To change the background, just create your own image and save it as loadbg.png in the Pictures folder.

Hall Of Famer
December 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Does anyone of you have the autotile of sand/desert? Please inform me if you do have it since it's significant for my game right now. Thanks.

wandererwillow
December 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Charas-project.net has TONS of resources. I'm sure you could find something there.

Anuhrima
December 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Can someone tell me where to put the map names at. How to order them on the Region map properly

wandererwillow
December 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
This is RPG Maker XP 101...you should do some research on RMXP's system before diving in and creating a game full out.

To rename a map, right click the map and go into Map Properties. You can change it there. As for the region map, I'm not 100% sure I get what you're asking, but you can move the maps around by clicking and dragging them for where you want them to go. I think that's what you're asking.

Anuhrima
December 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I know all that i just don't know what to do to order the Map on the right coordinates

Ty 101
December 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I want to know if it is possible to check if a pokemon is in your party and if the answer is yes removes that pokemon from the party.

You can also tell me instead how to open the pokemon screen and select a pokemon.

Atomic Reactor
December 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Check the notes it says so there...

I looked through the notes, but i couldnt find something...
How do you specify what battle background appears?
Like can you do it before a battle? like a script command or something?

Den
December 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm getting this error when the player recieves Pokemon.

Section119:145:in `pbBoxesFull?'undefined method `party' for nil:NilClass
PokemonUtilities:238:in `pbAddPokemon'

Mrchewy
December 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
@Hall of Famer: You're being very vague, as there's quite a few desert tiles. I'm sure if you look around at Spriters Resource or Google you'll find one to suit your needs.

@ross 61: Making world maps is covered in the Notes file, I'd suggest taking a good look in there for a start.

@Ty_101: I know that you can use $Trainer.party.delete_at(X) to delete a Pokémon that's in a certain position in your party, but I'm not sure how to use it the way you want. Again, try browsing through the Notes and see if you can come up with anything.

@Atomic Reactor: If I'm not mistaken, battle backgrounds are hardcoded based on terrain tags. I'm not entirely sure how you'd set a specific one for a battle.

Trace
December 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Can someone make it show the shadows don't show during the day?
Remove "Begin shadow source" comment from you're event.

Does anyone knoe how to edit this screen in the game? like the background.
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/ldm92/capture056.png
Yes. Add/Edit loadbg.png into you're picture folder.

ForeverRed
December 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Well I have been wondering for a long time but gave up...
Where do we get animmaker?

Hall Of Famer
December 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
@Hall of Famer: You're being very vague, as there's quite a few desert tiles. I'm sure if you look around at Spriters Resource or Google you'll find one to suit your needs.

The trouble with me is that I can do nothing about the graphics. Therefore, I have to look for existing tilesets instead of those from Sprite resources...

Mrchewy
December 19th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Why not? If you lack a graphics program try Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/). It's really quite powerful and an overall good program if you lack Photoshop. You're going to have a very rough time if you can't convert your own graphics.

MykehDoom
December 19th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah I actually use paint.net with a lot of plugins for my needs and it's almost better than photoshop. Plus it's free.

Mrchewy
December 19th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Alrighty folks, now I've got a question.

I'm not sure if it's my own fault, or if it was changed recently, but I remember that Day/Night tint used to effect EVERYTHING (save for menus etc.) on the screen. Now, it seems to only effect tiles, making events drastically stand out.

Is there a way to revert back to the old system? If it's always been like this, anything I can do?

wandererwillow
December 19th, 2008, 05:12 AM
@whoever is asking for the auto-tiles...

I say it again. Charas-Project.net. Use it.

@issue with lighting above my post

I haven't seemed to have any issues with that, so sadly I can't say one way or another if there's something wrong. Did you do any modifications that may have affected it?

Ty 101
December 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I want to know if it is possible to check if a pokemon is in your party and if the answer is yes removes that pokemon from the party.

You can also tell me instead how to open the pokemon screen and select a pokemon.

I know about $Trainer.party.delete_at(X)

Mrchewy
December 19th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Hmm, well it sounds like what you want to do can't be achieved very easily. May I ask what situation you're trying to do this in? I'm sure there's an easy workaround.

Florio
December 20th, 2008, 01:30 AM
when will the kit be updated next?
it hasn't been updated for about 2 months.
Maybe poccill is working on something big like 4th gen moves/abilities :)
or maybe making all the animations (though i don't think hes a very good with sprites)

Mrchewy
December 20th, 2008, 02:59 AM
He still visits the forums (and this thread) every day, I'd imagine he's just preoccupied with something. We'd love a massive update, but... =)

marfil92
December 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Somepeople can I say as they leave Pokémon shiny but very few as in the original Pokemon games? Thanks

Wichu
December 20th, 2008, 03:46 AM
You want to iterate through the party, checking the species of each Pokémon.
for i in 0...$Trainer.party.length
if $Trainer.party[i].species==species
$Trainer.party[i]=nil
$Trainer.party.compact!
break
end
end
To call the Pokémon screen, use:
pbChoosePokemon(variableNumber,nameVarNumber)
where variableNumber is a variable ID to store the index of the selected Pokémon, and nameVarNumber is a variable to store its name.
Somepeople can I say as they leave Pokémon shiny but very few as in the original Pokemon games? Thanks
What? I don't understand... If you mean 'are shiny Pokémon in the starter kit', then yes, they are. The chance of finding one is the same as it is on the official games.

InMooseWeTrust
December 20th, 2008, 05:38 AM
How do you change the likelihood of seeing a shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Essentials?

Mrchewy
December 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
@InMooseWeTrust: Check out lines 282 - 296 in PokeBattle_Pokemon:

def isShiny?
a=@personalID^@trainerID
b=a&0xFFFF
c=(a>>16)&0xFFFF
d=b^c
return (d<8)
end

def makeShiny
rnd=rand(65536)
rnd|=(rnd<<16)
rnd|=rand(8)
@personalID=rnd^@trainerID
calcStats
end

Wichu
December 20th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Find these lines in PokeBattle_Pokemon:
def isShiny?
a=@personalID^@trainerID
b=a&0xFFFF
c=(a>>16)&0xFFFF
d=b^c
return (d<8)
end
Change the 8 at the end; the higher it is, the higher your chance of finding a shiny.
More precisely, the chance is 8/65536, or 1/8192. Changing the 8 to, say, 64, will make the chance 64/65536, or 1/1024.

You'll want to modify the makeShiny method too.

EDIT: Beaten; oh well... :P

InMooseWeTrust
December 20th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Please disregard this post. My question was already answered.

Vampire://Krimm
December 20th, 2008, 07:33 AM
-stupid question-

I have a fairly old version of Pokemon Essentials, as in the version that was released probably last June. I was curious about how I make the text boxes different when you read signs? Was this feature in the older version of Essentials, or is it only in the newer version, and if so is there a way I could add it?

Ty 101
December 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM
You want to iterate through the party, checking the species of each Pokémon.
for i in 0...$Trainer.party.length
if $Trainer.party[i].species==species
$Trainer.party[i]=nil
$Trainer.party.compact!
break
end
endTo call the Pokémon screen, use:
pbChoosePokemon(variableNumber,nameVarNumber)where variableNumber is a variable ID to store the index of the selected Pokémon, and nameVarNumber is a variable to store its name.

What? I don't understand... If you mean 'are shiny Pokémon in the starter kit', then yes, they are. The chance of finding one is the same as it is on the official games.

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedudemister
December 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know how to change the text in the scripts to the defalt RPG Maker XP text? Thank you.

marfil92
December 20th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Somebody can say how I can do that in my game, You can find pokemon shiny how the original pokemon games?

Thanks

kitekatolia
December 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry for the nub question, but I'm just learning this stuff.

I want there to be a item(So instead of a pokemon, I want it to be a boat, so let's just name the item boat for now.) that does what surf does(takes you across water) and to make surf a normal TM, also be a key item.

Help, please?

Mrchewy
December 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
@thedudemister: I don't know what you're talking about. If you mean the font, well... just delete the font files.

@marfil92: Your question has already been answered, there ARE shiny Pokémon, you don't have to do anything.

Anuhrima
December 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to make a wall animation
which in the wall crumbles and light shows up

thedudemister
December 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM
@thedudemister: I don't know what you're talking about. If you mean the font, well... just delete the font files.

@marfil92: Your question has already been answered, there ARE shiny Pokémon, you don't have to do anything.

What I am asking, is there a way to make the text look more clear and not so pixelated when you are viewing the game 480x320? Just like the text that I am typing right now. Thank you.

Mrchewy
December 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
480x320 is SUPPOSED to look pixelated, since the screen is double is normal size. There's no way to make it look good without making it look terrible in 240x160.

Kaitsu-Gohan
December 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if this was stated. I could not find this information anywhere.

I'm not able to make the fishing animation work. In fact, not even the default animation (the lass) works. All the character does in the fishing animation is pretty much spin around slowly.

Where am I to edit this to fix it. Or how?

Thanks.

mad.array
December 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
@Kaitsu-Gohan: I'm not sure why your trainer sprite is spinning, but the fishing animation is a bit of an issue. It's a five frame animation, which uses the whole of the top row and the first frame of the second row. Bacause of the five frame animation, the fishing sprite will only face one direction whilst fishing. It may be that your spritesheet has the frames in the wrong order, showing the player facing different directions. If this is the case it would need to be changed so that the animation went from left to right, rather than top to bottom or whatever other order it may be in.

The code COULD be changed so that it divides the width of the file by five rather than four. That way you would look like you were fishing in the direction your character was facing, rather than fishing 'down' all the time. I've not looked into it as it was something I was planning on doing much later in my project.

If your sprite has the frames in the right place, then the issue gets more confusing. Have you changed any code at all? If not, then the only explanation I can think of is a Munchlax eating away at your PC from the inside out.

Kaitsu-Gohan
December 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
I guess I need to explain this a bit better.
The sprite "does not" change to the corresponding file called, "fishing000.png".

He just spins, as if you were hitting the directional keys.
I guess I should ask, what file does the animation load from? Certainly it's not fishing000.png.

Also, no I have not edited any coding. I've actually redownloaded.

EDIT:
Ok, maybe it's not a spin.
It's more of:
Down Direction
Left Direction
Original position

EDIT:
Hmm, that sounds right.
First 5 frames.

Though, it does not load from "fishing000.png", just the regular trainersprite. (or at all)

Wichu
December 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
I guess I need to explain this a bit better.
The sprite "does not" change to the corresponding file called, "fishing000.png".

He just spins, as if you were hitting the directional keys.
I guess I should ask, what file does the animation load from? Certainly it's not fishing000.png.

Also, no I have not edited any coding. I've actually redownloaded.

EDIT:
Ok, maybe it's not a spin.
It's more of:
Down Direction
Left Direction
Original position

EDIT:
Hmm, that sounds right.
First 5 frames.

Though, it does not load from "fishing000.png", just the regular trainersprite. (or at all)

It's a bug in the scripts, not anything wrong with the file. Find the setDefaultCharName method in Walk/Run, and replace it with this:
def setDefaultCharName(chname,pattern)
return if pattern<0||pattern>=16
@defaultCharacterName=chname
@direction=[2,4,6,8][pattern/4]
@pattern=pattern%4
end

Kaitsu-Gohan
December 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
It worked. Thanks a lot. =)
I also noticed you're on rmxp as well. I kinda asked there too. So you might just want to ignore me there....

Anyways, thanks a lot. I appreciated it.

InMooseWeTrust
December 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Is it possible to give a Pokemon two different abilities at the same time? For example, Magnemite with Magnet Pull and Levitate.

Shun
December 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Major problem, I don't know if it is the start it or what,

When i compress the game ands try to extract it after it says extract failed do you know wy?

marfil92
December 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
How I do for the floor of the cave slip???

Thanks

mad.array
December 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Hi guys.

This is mainly a question for the scripters out there. As some of you know we've been attempting to add all of the D/P moves/abilities. Things are going well but there's now a problem. Our moves count has gone over 450 and when the debug 'teach moves' option is selected, entries higher than 450 aren't shown.

I've managed to make a workaround by having a move tutor event on the map that the testing takes place on, but it's adding to the workload and if anyone could tell me how to get the missing moves to show up then I'd be really appreciative.

Merry Christmas to everyone =)

Anuhrima
December 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
When i deleted the lines that say that you can select the character as a girl. It shows a error message.Can someone help me.

PokeBud
December 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I like your Starter Kit very much but but :cer_cry: Now there is a error :cer_cry: Unspected File maybe you can help me :cer_cry:

mad.array
December 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Scuse the layout, I've split the post into two to cover two different things.

@ross61: Could you post the error? Is the line 'Script: pbChangePlayer(0)' still in there? If not then you won't have a character at all as that was the 'boy'. If it is still there is it in a conditional branch that it's impossible to choose?

Ok, next up I think I've got a bug to report. In PokeBattle_Move, around line 360 there is a line of code that reads

if attacker.hp<=(attacker.hp/3).floor

I think this should say

if attacker.hp<=(attacker.totalhp/3).floor

This applies to damage multiplication with the abilities Overgrowth, Torrent, Blaze and Swarm.

Anuhrima
December 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
i deleted this lines:
;["Are you a boy or a girl?;
;[ [ "
BOY" GIRLi
;[ i
;["#initializes player 0 (PlayerA);i;iqo;
and also can someone help me with this http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ross61_2008/anim003-1.jpg

wandererwillow
December 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Make sure those are the only lines you need to delete. As well, it may attempt to pull that info elsewhere in the script and wont be able to find it because a string isnt defined.