PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 02:15 AM
Dude, do you speak English? Use proper sentences.

mackoo
October 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM
Where can I download version with GBA resolution - please give me direct link.

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 04:41 AM
If you go into options in the game, you can select the resolution.

Pokê Fan
October 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM
I am from Germany i cannot good English ^__^"

BlueEew
October 1st, 2007, 05:06 AM
I war that not… Flameguru

you can show me it
with pictures with 1,2,3 and so on?
Please :(

I Mean in the pokestarter is 386 pokemons i will a new paste it is 387 pokemons become ^__^

I will Tuwtwig paste.

hope can me help Pokê Fan

Heya, I think I know what you mean now. You know that there are 386 Pokemon in the game Bulbasaur to Deoxys, but you want to add more i.e Turwig to the game.

If thats what you mean let us know and someone will help you. Also poccil thanks for answering my questions. ;)

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 06:17 AM
As I regret to say, in the current version, even though it is possible to create custom Pokemon, some portions of the script still assume a maximum of 386 species. I will edit the code to remove that limit.

BlueEew
October 1st, 2007, 06:21 AM
So if you would want to have all 386 and new ones you would not be able to do so? Unless you delete some older Pokemon, and replace them for new Pokemon?

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 06:24 AM
In the current version, practically, yes. However, I can easily solve this problem by reading the data compiled data files and getting the total number of species, instead of relying on a constant.

BlueEew
October 1st, 2007, 06:34 AM
So basically you can edit the scripts to allow more then 386 Pokemon. Are you going to make it so you can add as many Pokemon any wants, or a certain amount per person?

mackoo
October 1st, 2007, 06:36 AM
I've tried to transfer player to other map than test map, after intro - this happened:

undefined method `*' for nil:NilClass
WindowAndTilemap:564:in `refresh'
WindowAndTilemap:544:in `each'
WindowAndTilemap:544:in `refresh'
WindowAndTilemap:543:in `each'
WindowAndTilemap:543:in `refresh'
WindowAndTilemap:542:in `each'
WindowAndTilemap:542:in `refresh'
WindowAndTilemap:391:in `update'
Spriteset_Map:196:in `_animationSprite_update'
AnimationSprite:113:in `update'
Spriteset_Map:61:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:41:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:21:in `new'
Scene_Map:21:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:20:in `each'
Scene_Map:20:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:210:in `transfer_player'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:62:in `main'
Scene_Map:59:in `loop'
Scene_Map:66:in `main'
Main:41

What should I do?

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM
Maybe this will work: Go to lines 564 and 581 of the script section WindowAndTilemap and replace them with this line:

spriteZ=(@priorities[id]==0||!@priorities[id]) ? 0 : zOffset+@priorities[id]*32

To answer BlueEew's question, I will make the species count practically unlimited; or more accurately, as high as the highest numbered species on the pokemon.txt file.

lightou
October 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hey !
First, I just want to say one thing : this script is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C !
Thank you so much, now, I can make my own Pokémon game !

But I have got a problem. I want to change the name of the map, which pop up when we arrive in a new map (for example, after the intro, you can see "Test Map" on the top.)

(I'm osrry for my bad english, but I'm french ^^')

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
That can be done in RPG Maker XP. Select the name of the map, in this case "Test Map", and press the Space bar. You will then see a box where you can edit the map's name.

Nastara
October 1st, 2007, 12:27 PM
This really needs a tutorial. I have no clue on how to link maps together, make trainer battles, and a lot of other things. =(

Flameguru
October 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM
This really needs a tutorial. I have no clue on how to link maps together, make trainer battles, and a lot of other things. =(

I can make a tutorial for all the noobs out there if Poccil wants me to.

[email protected]
October 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM
FlameGuru that'd be great :P I know many of us could use one as I still can't figure out how to tell the co-ords....

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Here's a section I just wrote regarding coordinates:

The status bar on the bottom of RPG Maker XP contains information about the map.
Here is an example of a status bar:

011: Test Map (30 x 28)

The middle of the status bar shows the map ID (011), the name of the map (Test Map),
and the width and height of the map (30 x 28).

Now move your mouse over the map. Notice how another area on the status bar
changes. This shows the X and Y coordinates of the point where the mouse currently
is. Example: 013, 014 means that the mouse is pointing to the tile at X coordinate
13 and Y coordinate 14.

Flameguru, you are welcome to create a tutorial on Pokemon Essentials. It can serve
as a supplement to my own documentation.

Nastara
October 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
I believe the term is newbie but thanks!

Flameguru
October 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM
I made one but it's not quite finished yet. Anyway...

Download the Guide (http://dsinc.exofire.net/Files/SK_Guide.doc)

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Good on ya Flameguru! Lol, you and Poccil have turned into my favourite people on this forum in a very short space of time. =]

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
Here is documentation I just wrote on editing the intro screen.

The introduction screen when the game starts is found in the map titled Intro.
This map should be where the starting position is placed. It also contains an event
with an autorun trigger. The event may appear long, but that's only because it's a
representative appearance of the intro screen only. The most fundamental introduction
event looks like the following:

Script: pbChangePlayer(0) -- initializes the player character
Text: Choose a name.
Script: pbTrainerName -- opens the name entry screen and initializes the Trainer object
Text: Hello, \PN. -- displays the player's name.
Control Self Switch: A =ON -- Stops autorun event
Transfer Player:[011: Test Map], (009,009), Down -- Transfers player to start position

Of course, it can be expanded to include multiple player characters and
to show the character on screen:

Text: Are you a boy or a girl?
Show Choices: BOY, GIRL
When [BOY]
Script: pbChangePlayer(0) -- initializes player 0 (PlayerA)
When [GIRL]
Script: pbChangePlayer(1) -- initializes player 1 (PlayerB)
Branch End
Script: pbShowPicture(2,pbGetPlayerGraphic,1,230,120) -- shows the character's picture
Text: Choose a name.
Script: pbTrainerName -- opens the name entry screen and initializes the Trainer object
Text: Hello, \PN. -- displays the player's name.
Erase Picture: 2 -- erases the character's picture
Control Self Switch: A =ON -- Stops autorun event
Transfer Player:[011: Test Map], (009,009), Down -- Transfers player to start position

In the file metadata.txt you can enter data for each player character
in the settings PlayerA, PlayerB, etc. within section [000] of that file.
See metadata.txt for more details.

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hey Poccil, could you write me a script/code to turn on/off the light/time effect easily?

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by light/time effect, but if you mean the tinting of the screen to correspond with the time of day, that's easy to deactivate. In the script section AnimationSprite, go to line 112 and uncomment the line "tintScreen" by adding a "#" sign before the word "tintScreen".

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean, but I want to disable it in certain parts of the game, so do you have a script I can use for that?

[email protected]
October 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM
xD Sorry to bug you guys again but can anyone tell me how to compress a file for a demo? And add my own icon in the top left screen of the game?I would realy appreciate it ^^

Flameguru
October 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
xD Sorry to bug you guys again but can anyone tell me how to compress a file for a demo? And add my own icon in the top left screen of the game?I would realy appreciate it ^^

...ugh

Fine.

Go to File --> Compress Game Data. If you are releasing it to the public make sure to check the "Encrypt data" Check box so nobody can copy your game.

To edit the icon...well, theres already a Tutorial for that so you can figure that out ;)

[email protected]
October 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Where should I search for the icon tutorial then? And thanks ^^ I knew how to encrypt the game but the checkbox I missed xD

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Ryruyin:

The day-night tinting is enabled only if the map is marked as an outdoor map. This setting is one of many in the file PBS/metadata.txt. See the notes in that file for more information. Specifically, if the setting "Outdoor" for a map is set to "true", then the map is an outdoor map and tinting will be enabled.

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Ok, thanks. Also, how do I connect two maps?
Edit: Ok, I found the tut

-BlackShadow-
October 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Every Time I Test Play My Game And Pick A Starter Pokemon It Acts
Like I Don't Have One Even Though It Shows Up In The Start Menu.
What I Mean Is That The Prof. Acts Like He Didn't Give Me A Pokemon
And His Assistant Won't Give Me The Pokedex. Here Is What I Entered.

@>Conditional Branch: Switch [0008: Got Pokemon] == OFF
@>Text: Do You Want The Flame Pokemon CHARMANDER?
@>Show Choices: Yes, No
: When [Yes]
@>Text: I Think That Is A Great Choice.
@>Script: Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
: : ::PBSpecies::CHARMANDER,5) # 004 and 5
@>Play ME: 'Jingle - HTML', 100, 100
@> \PN Has Received CHARMANDER
@>Set Move Route: Player
: : $>Move Left
: : $>Move Up
@>Text: Good Now Go Get A Pokedex From My Lab
: : Assistant.
@>Set Move Route: Player
: : $>Move Down
@>Control Self Switch: A =ON
@>
: When [No]
@>Text: Think It Over Carfully. This Is A Very Important
: : Decision.
@>
: Branch End
@>

It Does All That But, It Does It Again.....Just As If It Never Happened....
Thank You In Advance.

Nastara
October 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Don't use self switch. Turn switch 0008 on.

BlueEew
October 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
I was just wondering if when you download the starter kit, that when pressing on the button to start the game. An actual game comes on.

I do it and a message saying it encountered an error and had to be closed. Tell Microsoft about this problem etc? Is a game ment load or what?

Nastara
October 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
I found a glitch. If you press the ACCEPT button during the black screen with Pokemon Starter Kit and Flameguru it will freeze.

Flameguru
October 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
I was just wondering if when you download the starter kit, that when pressing on the button to start the game. An actual game comes on.

I do it and a message saying it encountered an error and had to be closed. Tell Microsoft about this problem etc? Is a game ment load or what?

Umm...yes, a real game should come up. Do you have RPG Maker? Legal? What Windows do you have? Brain?

I found a glitch. If you press the ACCEPT button during the black screen with Pokemon Starter Kit and Flameguru it will freeze.

So don't press it? lol

[email protected]
October 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
@ BlueEew:Yes a game should appear, and I don't know about contacting microsoft for this problem but maybe redownload rmxp? (Sorry if an answer has already been posted for this I am lagging >.<)

Nastara
October 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM
So don't press it? lol

What harm would fixing it do? It annoys me when I do it accidentally.

Ryruyin
October 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I found that bug too, uh, you should probably just get over it. Even if you do press it then all you have to do is restart the game, and I'm sure Poccil could fix it.

poccil
October 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM
A new version of Pokemon Essentials is now available.

Changes:

Implemented the hidden moves Waterfall, Dive, and Flash
Improved performance of redefined Tilemap class
Removed 386-species limit; now any number of species is possible
For demonstration, the Pokemon Spiritomb is included
Included metadata setting for running, surfing, and diving sprites

Added: RPGCache
Changed: PokemonMap
Changed: PokeBattle_Pokemon
Changed: PokemonDayCare
Changed: PokemonPokedex
Changed: PBExperience
Changed: AnimationSprite
Changed: Scene_Map
Changed: Pokegear
Changed: PokemonField
Changed: Walk/Run
Changed: Game_Map*
Changed: PokeBattle_ActualScene
Changed: PokemonTilesetEditor
Changed: PokeBattle_Trainer
Changed: SpriteResizer
Changed: BitmapCache
Changed: WindowAndTilemap
Changed: Compiler
Changed: Game_Player*
Changed: PokemonEvolution
Changed: PokemonMessages
Changed: Game_Character 1
Changed: SpriteWindow
Changed: PokemonUtilities
Changed: PokeBattle_Battle
Changed: PokemonItems
Changed: PokemonBag
Changed: Scene_Intro

NytewolfAU2k7
October 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
I think I'll upgrade Code Biohazard to use this version of the Starter Kit, as it has improved greatly :) Great work Poccil :)

Edit: Missing underwater tileset

New2Ya
October 2nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
Say how can I update my project with that new release of you poccil? I dont wanna lose all the maps and events I made... O_o

I finally figured out how to make random battles. xD This pack is great.

Ryruyin
October 2nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
New2Ya, you could probably just copy the new PBS folder to your old project. I don't know about the scripts part of it though.

Flameguru
October 2nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
Say how can I update my project with that new release of you poccil? I dont wanna lose all the maps and events I made... O_o

I finally figured out how to make random battles. xD This pack is great.

Simple...well, maybe not. Here I go!

First, make a copy of your entire projects folder. Then go into your games Data Folder. Copy over all of the Map Files, MapInfos, and the Tilesets data files.

If you used any custom Tilesets or charsets or even pictures copy them over too, same for audio.

Then go into the merged project and make an event and make it control switches. Then copy all of your switches from your game to the merged project.

It's kind of confusing but it only takes 20 minutes max and it's what i have been doing this whole time ;)

poccil
October 2nd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add the underwater tileset to the ZIP file. I just did so; however, the missing file
can also be downloaded directly (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/underwater8jc.png). The underwater autotile (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/underwater16pn.png), too.

For the next release of Pokemon Essentials, I plan to support internationalization; that is, to make it easy to support translated versions of Pokemon games.

New2Ya
October 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Flameguru!

Question: How do you start with "zero" items? My game starts with 50 items of every type of item.

Question 2: Referring to Q1, how do you add an item (plus amount) to the bag?

Thanks!!

poccil
October 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
New2Ya:

In the file notes.txt, there is this:

When the game is run from RPG Maker XP (which sets the $DEBUG global variable to true), the bag is
intentionally filled with 50 of each item at the beginning of the game.

It should be emphasized that that won't be the case if the game is run normally.

Also, to add more than one item at once, you can use something like this as a Script event command:

5.times do
$PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(
PBItems::POKeBALL
)
end

[email protected]
October 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Hey I just transfered all of my stuff over >.< but now dive isn't working... x] Any ideas on why this may be?

poccil
October 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
To support Dive functionality, the game system uses the metadata setting DiveMap:

DiveMap - the underwater layer of this map. This setting is required if an area
contains deep patches in the water (tiles with terrain tag 5). The map must
have the same width and height as this map. Coordinates of this map
are associated with the same coordinates of the underwater map.
Multiple maps cannot refer to the same underwater layer.

Dive functionality will work on a tile if the tile's terrain tag is 5. The coordinates
of the map correspond with those of the underwater map, so the underwater walls
should have the same shape as the deep patches on the water's surface.

New2Ya
October 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Ah thanks for that poccil. I get it now.

Last 2 question, and then I'm done:
1. How do I make sure the added Pokémon is MALE?
2. How can I start a WILD BATTLE with a certain Pokémon? (so not a trainer battle, nor a random encounter -> Kinda like battling Ho-Oh or something)

poccil
October 2nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
To start a wild Pokemon battle, use this script:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::MEWTWO,70
)

It should normally appear as a conditional branch, since the player may lose that battle. However, the current version of that function doesn't indicate whether the player has won or lost. To add this functionality, add the line
return (decision!=2) after line 98 of the script section PokemonField. Then you can make an event command like:

Conditional Branch: Script: pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::MEWTWO,70)
Text: Mewtwo went away...
Branch End

I already mentioned a way to set the gender of a Pokemon (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2922702&postcount=188) in this thread.

Nastara
October 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
When I put music into a battle it doesn't loop. After it's done it goes back to the default battle theme.

Ryruyin
October 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for that last post Poccil, I was wondering how to do that. By the way, 300th post =]

Edit: Hey Poccil, is there a way I can make the grass animation happen on grass with terrain tag 2 without being in an encounter zone? Also, would it be safe for me to mess around with the Pokedex script so that there are no message windows, but the text is displayed over a picture?

poccil
October 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
For your first question, that's already possible. Just try it and see.

For your second question, I don't know exactly what you mean and what you're trying to accomplish, so I can't really help you on that.

Ryruyin
October 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I saw that thanks. What I mean is, you know how in the Pokedex now, you've got the text in message boxes. What I want is to get rid of those boxes and put my own picture behind the text, could you please write me a script for that?

poccil
October 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
If I understand what you mean, that can be done with just a few lines of code. Go to the script section PokemonPokedex and add the following after line 262:

@sprites["background"]=Plane.new(@viewport)
@sprites["background"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/pokeselbg.png")
@sprites["pokedex"].windowskin=nil
@sprites["icon"].windowskin=nil
@sprites["infowindow"].windowskin=nil

That removes the window frames and replaces it with a 480x320 background of your choice. In this example, the file "Graphics/Pictures/pokeselbg.png" is given, but it can be practically anything. I hope this helps.

Ryruyin
October 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks Poccil! You're amazing!

New2Ya
October 3rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks poccil! Hey I found something funny, the thing is...

In the game, you cant use:
- Screen tone
- Fade Out/In

But you can use:
- Flash screen

I understand why Screen Tone doesnt work, as it is in conflict with the Time System, but it's too bad the Fade Out/In doesnt work, cuz I have moments where I want the screen to darken for a few moments (so I can change sprites, remove sprities, etc) and then go back to normal color.

I'm gonna use pictures for that now, but I thought you'd like to know about this.

poccil
October 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Actually, there is no such event command called Fade Out/In.

New2Ya
October 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Actually, there is no such event command called Fade Out/In.
Oh, I thought you understood what I mean.t Sorry. In RMXP, its called Transitions.

Pokê Fan
October 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Why Can i in a new map and a new grass Field in the new map when i Step pokemons call and the Grass animation call???

here a screenshot: img341.imageshack.us/img341/8729/21410246ak5.png

New2Ya
October 3rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
You want to get Pokémon encounters? Go to PBS map (inside the project) and open encounters.txt.

Then, either edit the ID of the map to the ID of the map you want, or add

018 # ID of the map (check the middle of the status bar)
25,10,10 # Comma-separated line with Land, Cave, Water densities (25 is average)
Land # One of Land/Cave/Water/RockSmash/OldRod/GoodRod/SuperRod
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 5
SPEAROW, 6
SPEAROW, 7
Water
MAGIKARP,2
GOLDEEN,3
POLIWAG,3
FEEBAS,3
FEEBAS,3
HeadbuttHigh
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
SPEAROW,10
HeadbuttLow
PINECO,10
PINECO,10
PINECO,10
PINECO,10
AIPOM,10
AIPOM,10
AIPOM,10
AIPOM,10
OldRod
MAGIKARP,2
GOLDEEN,3
GoodRod
MAGIKARP,2
GOLDEEN,3
POLIWAG,3
SuperRod
MAGIKARP,2
GOLDEEN,3
POLIWAG,3
FEEBAS,3
FEEBAS,3
at the bottom, and edit the names of the desired Pokémon. Just make sure the amount of Pokémon for each category (land/water/etc) is the same. Dont delete names, just edit them.

As for the ID, at the top of the spoiler-tag, change it to the ID of your map. (Map Properties -> At top of the border you can find ID number)\

Hope that helps...

Pokê Fan
October 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
New2Ya Mega Thanks it,s Work^^ Thanks.

Minorthreat0987
October 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Poccil I just noticed when you are in the smaller 240x16, anything above the bottom layer kind shakes, i circled the spots on this screen you might need to paste it in paint and zoom in to see them

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1949/tileissueko9.png

New2Ya
October 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Poccil I just noticed when you are in the smaller 240x16, anything above the bottom layer kind shakes, i circled the spots on this screen you might need to paste it in paint and zoom in to see them

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1949/tileissueko9.png
Yeah I noticed that too...

One last question (I promise! xD), how do I turn off the weather again? I started a storm with $game_screen.weather(2,9.0,20) but I dont know how to turn it off... O_o

I figured it would be $game_screen.weather(0,9.0,20) but then my game freezes.

poccil
October 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
That's an artifact of the redefined Tilemap class. Unfortunately, that problem is unavoidable.

To return to normal weather, use:

$game_screen.weather(0,0,20)

Minorthreat0987
October 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
oh, man that sucks really bad, its so un eye appealing. =[, you couldnt switch back to one of the older tilemap classes?

|Maximus|
October 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Does anyone have a Cbs or starter kit for RM2K3 PLEASE!

Ryruyin
October 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Axibar, you're much better off using RMXP.

poccil
October 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
In any case, I've been trying to improve my Tilemap class to remove this tile problem, and I've made some progress in doing so. Though I'm not sure whether the following alone will work, since the progress involves other places in the code, it may help to add these methods to my Tilemap class (in the script section WindowAndTilemap):

def ox=(val)
val=(val*$ResizeFactor).floor
val=(val/$ResizeFactor).floor
@ox=val.floor
end
def oy=(val)
val=(val*$ResizeFactor).floor
val=(val/$ResizeFactor).floor
@oy=val.floor
end

Aqua Mudkip
October 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Poccil I have this BIG prob. I get this strange error:

RPGCache:49:in `load_bitmap'
RPGCache:96:in `tileset'
Spriteset_Map:24:in`_animationSprite_initialize'
Scene_Map:57:in `main'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt

New2Ya
October 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Poccil I have this BIG prob. I get this strange error:

RPGCache:49:in `load_bitmap'
RPGCache:96:in `tileset'
Spriteset_Map:24:in`_animationSprite_initialize'
Scene_Map:57:in `main'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt
Well, that could be anything. What changes did you make on the project? I'm afraid no one can help you with this error log, because you get that message anytime you remove/edit something unproperly.

Aqua Mudkip
October 4th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I did'nt do anything with it. I DLed the update of Poccils Kit abd when I tried the game, that popped out.

Pokê Fan
October 4th, 2007, 04:16 AM
hello why can i a new pokemon paste i will Turtwig of Diamond and Pearl paste???

I will in my game all pokemon and all pokemon of Diamond and Pearl.

:)

hope can me help!

poccil
October 4th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Aqua Mudkip:

The error message occurred most likely because a bitmap file failed to be found. To find out which one, replace line 49 of the script section RPGCache with:

begin
@cache[path] = Bitmap.new(path)
rescue
raise "Failed to load bitmap: #{path}"
end

New2Ya
October 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Say, how can I assign a "revive" place? When you lose a Pokémon battle (trainer/wild), you get transported and full-healed to [FILL IN]?

poccil
October 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Say, how can I assign a "revive" place? When you lose a Pokémon battle (trainer/wild), you get transported and full-healed to [FILL IN]?

The file metadata.txt supports a global setting named "Home" (in section [000]), that specifies the place where the player goes when he or she loses a battle and no Pokemon Center was entered. Details are below:

Home: The point that the player is placed in when all Pokemon have fainted
and no Pokemon Center was entered. This setting consists of four numbers,
separated by commas, that indicate the map ID, the X and Y coordinates, and
the direction to make the player face (2=down; 4=left; 6=right; 8=up; 0=retain
facing). The map identified by this setting should have an event page with the
"autorun" trigger and a conditional switch "Starting Over" (normally
numbered 5, but can be changed by editing the STARTING_OVER_SWITCH
constant in the script section PokemonField). The event page, when run,
should heal all Pokemon in the player's party (For an example, see the
event for the Pokemon Center's receptionist). This setting is required.

In addition, there is a function named Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter that sets the starting-over point to wherever the player currently is. It is defined as follows:

def Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter
$PokemonGlobal.pokecenterMapId=$game_map.map_id
$PokemonGlobal.pokecenterX=$game_player.x
$PokemonGlobal.pokecenterY=$game_player.y
$PokemonGlobal.pokecenterDirection=$game_player.direction
end

I hope this helps.

New2Ya
October 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
The file metadata.txt supports a global setting named "Home" (in section [000]), that specifies the place where the player goes when he or she loses a battle and no Pokemon Center was entered. Details are below:

In addition, there is a function named Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter that sets the starting-over point to wherever the player currently is. It is defined as follows:

end

I hope this helps.
Oh tanks! So basically, when I put this

end

as a Script Command in an event, it saves the place as the place you get to when you lose a battle? (using hero touch probably?)

poccil
October 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
That's actually how the function is defined in the script section PokemonField; what you would do instead is use this simple line for the Script event command:

Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

New2Ya
October 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
That's actually how the function is defined in the script section PokemonField; what you would do instead is use this simple line for the Script event command:

Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.
Ah okay thanks very much! No biggie, you're in no position to apologise. :P Hell, you made a wish come true for most of us.

RMXPUser462
October 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Not Possible atm I don't believe. If you wanted to try, it would require changing the Pokemon's Sprite in the Graphics Folder, renaming it in the scripts, and modifying all its moves, stats, and more....which would be a pain...sorry. Poccil may be able to assist you further than me :)

i, honestly, have a quick question regarding custom pokemon...

is there a script providing a database with the names/graphic name/etc., in which we can change the names and such to a name that we would like??

poccil
October 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
There is a text file called pokemon.txt in the PBS folder; that file contains data on each Pokemon in the game and contains details on creating new ones.

lightou
October 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hey Poccil, I've got one little question:
In my Pokémon Game, I don't want to use a PokéGear, but can I use the map, which is in the Key items Pocket? (like in D/P)

Thank you so much :)

EDIT : I don't know why I've got this error :

undefined method `pbOnMapChange' for Kernel:Module
PokemonMap:226:in `setMapChanged'
PokemonMap:207:in `setup'
PokemonLoad:191:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:173:in `open'
PokemonLoad:173:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:142:in `loop'
PokemonLoad:210:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
Scene_Intro:121:in `to_title_update'
Scene_Intro:55:in `main'

I just change the windowsskin picture...?

Aqua Mudkip
October 6th, 2007, 12:34 AM
It still dosen't worl poccil... Did you try to download your Starter Kit yourself?

RMXPUser462
October 6th, 2007, 08:56 AM
much thanks poccil for the help, you're brilliant :)

EDIT
How do you make it so an opposing trainer can have a shiny pokemon? I've tried using things like SHINYCHARIZARD, or SHINY_CHARIZARD, or even CHARIZARD_SHINY but got nothing from it :P

thanks for your help :)

poccil
October 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Changes:

Stabler Tilemap class -- Tile displacement problem was eliminated
Trainer battles can be skipped in playtests by holding CTRL
Internationalization support -- Texts can be extracted and compiled
for localization
Battle start transition included
Finer day/night tinting
WildBattleBGM and TrainerBattleBGM metadata classes
Move speed problem fixed
Title background music is set to that in the System tab of the database
The Bag is no longer filled automatically in playtesting; instead
use the "Fill Bag" option in the Debug menu.

Modified scripts:

Added: PBIntl
Changed: PokemonOption
Changed: PokeBattle_BattleArena
Changed: PokeBattle_Effects
Changed: PBTypes
Changed: PokemonMenu
Changed: PokeBattle_MoveEffects
Changed: PokeBattle_Move
Changed: RPGCache
Changed: Resolution*
Changed: PokemonSave
Changed: PokemonMart
Changed: PokemonTrainers
Changed: PokeBattle_Trainer
Changed: PokemonLoad
Changed: PBFile
Changed: PBMoves
Changed: Interpreter 7 *
Changed: Main
Changed: PokemonEntry
Changed: PokeBattle_AI
Changed: Game_Event*
Changed: PokemonTrainerCard
Changed: PBSpecies
Changed: PBItems
Changed: PokeBattle_BattlePalace
Changed: PBTrainers
Changed: PBAbilities
Changed: PBDebug
Changed: PokemonSummary
Changed: PokemonRegionMap
Changed: PokemonEncounters
Changed: PokemonScreen
Changed: PokeBattle_Battler
Changed: PokemonStorage
Changed: Scene_Intro

Edit: A previous upload still filled the bag at game start and made Pokemon shiny by accident. The current upload no longer has these problems.

Aqua Mudkip
October 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM
So did I help by testing the upload Poccil?

P.S. It still didnt work! I DownLoaded the update and I still get the annoying error! Someone please help!

Demonic Budha
October 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
So did I help by testing the upload Poccil?

P.S. It still didnt work! I DownLoaded the update and I still get the annoying error! Someone please help!

You cant run the game file from inside RMXP, you can only run the game from the Icon, thats in the project folder.

Lorem Ipsum
October 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Please can somebody tell me how to get this onto Postality Knights version? It would really, really help with my project.

Icechamp11200
October 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
is sdk compatible with the code? i need it for my pokemon game Pokemon Virtua

poccil
October 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Lorem Ipsum:

For that, please see the section in notes.txt entitled "Problems when opening project":

If you are using RPG Tsukuuru XP in Japanese and you cannot open the project, then
open Game.rxproj in Notepad and change "RPGXP 1.02" to "RPGXP 1.01" or, if necessary
"RPGXP 1.00", then save the file.

Lorem Ipsum
October 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
What version would Postality Knights be?

Sorry for being so stupid...

NytewolfAU2k7
October 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM

click the 'Help' menu then click 'About...'

You should see something that says;

RPGXP Version X.XX

(where X.XX is a version number, the most common being 1.00)

Lorem Ipsum
October 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
OK, done that, but when I try to open it up, it says that it is not a valid Win32 application.

RMXPUser462
October 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
How do you make it so an opposing trainer can have a shiny pokemon? I've tried using things like SHINYCHARIZARD, or SHINY_CHARIZARD, or even CHARIZARD_SHINY but got nothing from it :P

thanks for your help :)

thought i would bring my question back up, i don't mind if anyone helps with this :)

Nastara
October 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM

The pirated version of RMXP.

Lorem Ipsum
October 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM
No, I meant in reference to typing in the version number in Notepad.

Also, my Win32 error is still popping up.

Wichu
October 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Is it possible to add new moves and abilities?

Minorthreat0987
October 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
im really happy with the latest release, Im glad you fixed the tile problem.

I have one thing to say though, and its really small so no rush at fixing it but if you could would you please have the HP bar update, when you level up in battle, it doesnt really affect game play, it just would be a nice added touch, and i dont think it would be too hard to do. thanks so much for this, this is a really awsome systems kit.

New2Ya
October 9th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, and I was hoping maybe Gym leaders could have their own personal battle music too? :cheeky:

That was a great update. I'm finally understanding this whole starterkit. I managed to get Dash animations now too...

poccil
October 9th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, and I was hoping maybe Gym leaders could have their own personal battle music too?
That's also possible with this version. The background music for specific types
of Trainers can be set in trainernames.txt. You may, for example, want to use
one kind of music for Elite Four members and Gym Leaders. You can make this
possible by editing the appropriate lines in the file:

72,LEADER_Brawly,LEADER,80,GymLeaderTheme.mid
80,ELITEFOUR_Phoebe,ELITE FOUR,100,EliteFourTheme.mid

(Please note that the lines above are just examples.)

As of the current version, the background music is set within the two functions
pbTrainerBattle in the script section PokemonTrainers (near line 175),
and pbWildBattle in the script section PokemonField (near line 120).

RMXPUer462:

I don't intend to support Trainers with shiny Pokemon in the game system; however,
you can edit the scripts to support such functionality. Go to the script section
PokemonTrainers and replace line 37 with the following:

pokemon=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,level)
if trainerid==PBTrainers::LEADER_Brawly
pokemon.makeShiny
end

The makeShiny method is defined in the script section PokeBattle_Pokemon, as of
the latest version. Edit the line "if trainerid==PBTrainers::LEADER_Brawly" to
specify the Trainer types who will have shiny Pokemon. For example, the following
specifies that Campers and Picnickers will have shiny Pokemon:

if trainerid==PBTrainers::CAMPER || trainerid==PBTrainers::PICNICKER

See the script section PBTrainers for other Trainer types.

New2Ya
October 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Hey man, Im experiencing some bugs now.

1. If you played my tiny demo, you know the scene where Oak walks down the staircase towards Ash. (doesnt matter if you didnt play it, Oak is just an event, thats all.)
After updating my project with this update, (I did everything correctly like Flameguru explained, so that cant be the problem) he's not moving...

2. A similar problem is the player's graphics. I cant change the player's appearance for a time until I give it back its original sprite. Instead, he changes back to the original sprite until the Move Event -> Wait Time is over...

lightou
October 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Hey Poccil, you don't have answers my question :

How can I put the Map into the Bag, because I want to delete te PokeGear?

And how can I fix this bug ?

undefined method `pbOnMapChange' for Kernel:Module
PokemonMap:226:in `setMapChanged'
PokemonMap:207:in `setup'
PokemonLoad:191:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:173:in `open'
PokemonLoad:173:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:142:in `loop'
PokemonLoad:210:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
Scene_Intro:121:in `to_title_update'
Scene_Intro:55:in `main'

poccil
October 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I released a new version of Pokemon Essentials on October 14.

Changes:

Added rudimentary support for battle animations
All documentation for Pokemon Essentials is in one place,
the notes.html file
Added Running Shoes flag; now running is allowed only when
the player has Running Shoes; use the script
$PokemonGlobal.runningShoes=true
Added the Battle Scene option to the option screen.
Added cries for each Pokemon.
Implemented the Pokerus virus.
Made statuses display in battle and in the summary screen.

Modified scripts:

Deleted: Name Input
Added: RTP and Registry
Added: PBAnimation
Changed: PBExperience
Changed: PokeBattle_Move
Changed: Module: File Test
Changed: PokemonMart
Changed: Interpreter 7 *
Changed: Game_System
Changed: Spriteset_Map
Changed: Game_Character 1
Changed: PokemonSummary
Changed: PokeBattle_Scene

Demonic Budha
October 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Hey, not sure if this has been pointed out, or even found. But i went into the Cave map (where you need to use flash) and i went into my Menu. I went into 3 parts, the bag, the Poke gear and (hero) tab. And when i came out, the room no longer needed me to use Flash. But i hadnt used it?

Just thought i would mention it :)

Lorem Ipsum
October 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
There are so many pages of this thread, and I have loads of homework, so don't have time to read them all. This will sound like an uber n00bish question, but how do we add Pokémon, moves, attacks, abilities and Pokédexes to the system?

ALSO, how do we change the title screen from saying Pokémon Starter Kit? I have the image ready, but it won't change the title screen, whatever I do.

poccil
October 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM
All documentation for Pokemon Essentials has recently been compiled into one file, see this address:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html

New Pokemon can be added or modified in the text file PBS/pokemon.txt. See that section
in the documentation (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html) for details.
The game system doesn't support adding, removing, or modifying moves or abilities.

The game's title screen can be changed by replacing the files Pic_1.png , Pic_2.png , and Start.png .
Each of these files is found in the directory Graphics/Titles.

Lorem Ipsum
October 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
OK, but how do you make the wild Pokémon battle random? It doesn't seem to explain that there.

poccil
October 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I don't quite understand what you mean. The game system already determines a random
Pokemon that will be encountered. If you want to edit the encounter rates of Pokemon
within an area, you can do so by modifying PBS/encounters.txt (also mentioned in
the documentation)

Lorem Ipsum
October 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
So do you have to set a special event for every grass tile determining a battle, and which Pokémon it will battle?

poccil
October 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I should have been clearer on this. In most cases, after editing encounters.txt, it is enough to put grass tiles (or other tiles with terrain tag 2) on the map for wild Pokemon to appear there -- no events are necessary. The file encounters.txt supports two different encounter types: Land and Cave. For Land encounter types, wild Pokemon will appear only on the grass. For Cave encounter types, wild Pokemon will appear anywhere. Several other encounter types are also supported; see the "PBS/encounters.txt" section of the documentation for details.

Lorem Ipsum
October 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Just to see if I'm understanding this right, the syntax to create an encounter in Map #1 with a Pidgey would be:

11 Pidgey 25,10,10

poccil
October 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Here is the format of entries in encounters.txt:

011 # ID of the map (check the middle of the status bar)
25,10,10 # Comma-separated line with Land, Cave, Water densities (25 is average)
Land # One of Land/Cave/Water/RockSmash/OldRod/GoodRod/SuperRod
# Wild Pokemon entries follow (incomplete because Land encounter type requires 12)
PIDGEY,16
PARAS,16
PARAS,16
RATTATA,17

The number of entries required varies for each encounter type. For example, Land and Cave encounter types require 12 entries (rarer species should be placed lower in the list). You can look at the file PBS/encounters.txt to get a good idea of what to expect.

phoenixprime88b5
October 17th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I know how t input new pokemon into the starter kit, I have the shiny fronts and backs as well as the regular fronts and backs of the sinnoh pokemon but the only thing I'm missing is the two framed animated icons that you said are needed along with the fronts and backs and fro the pokemon to show up in the PC and pokemon selection menu. Where do you get those icons because I would like to add these remaining pokemon to have the 493 official pokemon in my game, Poccil, and thanks again for your starter kit.

.houndoomed
October 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I have a bit older version of this starter kit, and I have some towns and that made in it. Can I update to the new version without losing all of the work

poccil
October 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM
phoenixprime88b5:

The Pokemon icon animations are stored in Graphics/Icons/iconXXX.png, where XXX is a Pokemon
species number. They measure 128x64 pixels and consist of two frames, each of which has a
size of 64x64 pixels. In this page (http://www.upokecenter.com/pictures/dp/icons/)
from my site, you can find icons (animated GIF files) of each species in the game, as well as
supplementary icons for certain forms of the same species.

The latest version of Pokemon Essentials also plays cries of Pokemon species. You can find
cries for all Pokemon (http://www.upokecenter.com/images/cries/) at my site (although
they are in .mp3 format and the current version of the code expects a file extension of .wav;
to correct this, replace all instances of "%03dCry.wav" to "%03dCry" in the script sections
PokeBattle_ActualScene, PokemonPokedex, and PokemonSummary).

phoenixprime88b5
October 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Everything is starting to work, it's just the png part and icons, you say 64x64 and the games icons are 128x64, what in the world do i have to do with the icons. I just wanted to know if you were going to release all 493 pokemon in the next release or not. cause the icons that you have on your site arent the ones that are in the sk. and even if i took all day to both the individual icons together, the pokemon icons in the sk look slightly different from one another so i know that you just can't put the two together and move them around slightly. Please help.

poccil
October 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
phoenixprime88b5:

I've created a file containing the icon animations (http://upokecenter.com/pictures/pokeicon.zip) in a format that the game system expects.

pokemon programer
October 17th, 2007, 04:28 PM
hey poccil i think your starter kit is awsome. Would it be possible that you input all the 4th generation pokemon so that people have all those to work with when they start?

phoenixprime88b5
October 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Thank you Poccil, I apologize if I may have inconvienced you but thank you for making the icons, now I can add all the sinnoh pokemon myself, thanks you've done me a great deal of good. Thank you once again.

Backmaster
October 18th, 2007, 02:02 AM
some questions:
how can i edit the dexdata?
and how to add new moves in the move list?

if possible add me at icq: 279899003
or Msn: [email protected]

Lorem Ipsum
October 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Cut, cut cut. How do I get the script to work it?

.houndoomed
October 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I have a bit older version of this starter kit, and I have some towns and that made in it. Can I update to the new version without losing all of the work

Could you answer this please?

OblivionMew
October 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
hey poccil, just wandering if it would be possible to do a national dex. What I mean is say that i have made new pokemon and the first one is No.1 in the pokedex, but after you get the national dex bulbasaur is No.1

pokemon programer
October 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I just got to mess around with the new version. I think it is awsome even more now with the cries. That is cool that you can upload boxes from pokemon ruby. Where is the code for the debug menu? I was thinking about trying to add some stuff to it. Keep up the awsome work.

Absola
October 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
poccil, your work is truly amazing... I have some experience with rmxp and I didn't find your notes and documentation unclear. But for non-experienced rmxp users I guess it could be a bit confusing. My own questions concerns the scripts and I'm trying to out if there are methods to make the battle background changeable, as the script doesn't use a simple image file.

If you don't mind poccil, I'll see if I can answer some questions from you guys here:

Houndoomed:

Well.. why don't check it out yourself..? Just copy the game folder and update one of them... another method is to copy the town maps you've created to the new project (the new version of the starter kit) and import all resources you've added again. Then you'll need to update the .txt files simply by copying the data you've written in the older version. Important: Remember that the map ID:s could be different when you copy your old maps in a new project so make sure the map ID has the same variable as in the .txt files.

Lorem Ipsum:

Just to see if I'm understanding this right, the syntax to create an encounter in Map #1 with a Pidgey would be:

11 Pidgey 25,10,10

No, not exactly. Here is an example of generating a Pidgey on map #1:

Land
PIDGEY,12
PIDGEY,16
PIDGEY,18
PIDGEY,13
PIDGEY,17
PIDGEY,19
PIDGEY,14
PIDGEY,20
PIDGEY,16
PIDGEY,21
PIDGEY,22
PIDGEY,23

The first line is the map ID and you can check a map's ID by checking its properties (or looking at the status bar). The encounter will appear in every tile tagged 2 which should be the grass patch. Hope that helped..!

Backmaster:

how can i edit the dexdata?

Just open PBS/pokemon.txt and follow poccil's instructions. If you want to create a new pokemon you can continue on the list but don't
forget to add it in PBSpecies in the script editor, otherwise you'll get an error message.

and how to add new moves in the move list?

The script doesn't support adding and editing moves and it's the same for abilities. I think that poccil has been rather clear on this and it's even written in the text file.

~ Absola

poccil
October 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your response. Now, to answer your question: Take a look at the script section PokeBattle_ActualScene, which implements the look of the battle system. Line 986 of that script section looks like this:

pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png",@viewport)

The file "Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png" is where the battle background is located. You can replace that file with any image you want (though it should be 480x224 in size). The image will be tiled to fit the screen. With scripting, you can change which image will be shown as the battle background depending on the situation. Here's an example:

now=Time.now
if now.hour<6 || now.hour>=20
bgfile="Graphics/Pictures/battlebgNight.png"
else
bgfile="Graphics/Pictures/battlebgDay.png"
end
battlebgplane=pbAddPlane("battlebg",bgfile,@viewport)

(The filenames given are just examples.)

Lines 987 and 988 of PokeBattle_ActualScene load the images for the "coasters" where active Pokemon are placed during a battle. These files are "Graphics/Pictures/enemybase.png" and "Graphics/Pictures/playerbase.png" and both files are just as customizable.

I hope this helps.

Demonic Budha
October 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Awsome work guys. Im not going to ask a question, as you seem to be unindated with them :D

Lorem Ipsum
October 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I need to know how to create switches, like "Met the Professor", so you can meet the Professor in Route 1, and then go back to the lab and he is there, when he wasn't before.

poccil
October 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Switches are what allow events to conditionally appear based on the state of the game. They are normally set as events are created.

To set switches, create an event by double-clicking on the map. There you will see a dialog box where you can edit information about the event. In the "Conditions" section, select the "Switch" checkbox and then press the "..." button next to it. You will soon see a dialog box where you can edit the switches in the game.

The event you just selected will appear only if a switch selected in the dialog box is on. In this box, you can edit the name of any of the switches. Pokemon Essentials also supports "script-based switches", where an arbitrary script determines whether the switch is on and the switch doesn't need to be set. Script-based switches begin with "s:" and contain the script to be run after that.

To change the number of switches, press "Change Max."

After choosing a switch, close the dialog box.

To set multiple conditions (switches) at once for a single event, you can create event pages for each of those conditions, and the highest event page that meets all conditions will be run for a single event. Finally, to set a switch, use the "Control Switches" event command.

I hope this helps.

Wichu
October 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
How can I change the attack power and accuracy? I've tried (successfully) making a new ability, but I want to know how to make attacks.
Yes, I know it says it doesn't support adding new attacks, but surely it is possible, just like with abilities?

poccil
October 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Yes, technically it is possible to add new abilities, but due to the way abilities work, there can't be a unified approach to implementing them, since it requires advanced scripting skills, and in particular, knowing the functionality of the battle system, in order to add new abilities.

Much of the same applies with moves, since moves have many different effects, again making a unified approach to them practically impossible. Move data can be found in "PBS/rsattacks.dat", but that's a binary file and not a text file.

Wichu
October 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
How could I open it so I can change the power/accuracy etc?

poccil
October 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I could try, but since it couldn't be understood by everyone, I will send a private message.

Minorthreat0987
October 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I don't know if it is just me but my game experinces extremely detrimental lag while on outside maps using the Essentials Kit, does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it, i have a maximun of like 15-20 events per map(most have way less like 5-10) so i dont think its overloaded, but i dont know. please help thanks.

.:EDIT:.
Just so you'll know I have the same problem in an unedited version of the Essentials kit, but not in other game files of mine that dont use the essentials kit.

pokemon programer
October 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
hey poccil i think your starter kit is awsome. Would it be possible that you input all the 4th generation pokemon so that people have all those to work with when they start?

I just got to mess around with the new version. I think it is awsome even more now with the cries. That is cool that you can upload boxes from pokemon ruby. Where is the code for the debug menu? I was thinking about trying to add some stuff to it. Keep up the awsome work.

I thought I would repost since it changed pages.
Oh poccil did you get the pm I sent you. If so please reply

phoenixprime88b5
October 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, recieved the icons for the 4th generation pokemon from poccils site and I have the shiny fronts and back as well as the regular fonts nd backs, alll I'm doing now is entering data for them. I talked to Flameguru and he said if i add the remaining pokemon to pass the pokemon txt and graphics folder to others but I have a problem with some of the data for the pokemon, which includes the items needed to evolve certain ones, the growth rate, moves that aren't in the list that you put in the SK and some other piece of Data that's needed in the game. After getting this pokemon situation cleared I really wont have any reason to bother you Poccil, but I really just need your help with the pokemon data fro the Sinnoh pokemon, cause the data from your site that I am using, some of the data and moves aren't working in the game and I need your help with the pokemon.txt data. If you can give me that, I'll find a way to contribute the graphics of the 4th generation pokemon that other SK users have been asking you about and maybe it can relieve some workload off of you, but it's you're call Poccil.

pokemon programer
October 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Sorry poccil if i answer wrong. phoenixprime88b5 the reason why some of the attacks aren't working is because the 4th generation attacks aren't programmed in the game as of yet. Which means you are trying to use data that dosen't exist. The reason that the items for eveolution aren't working is because the fact that you might not of created the items in items.txt (i think thats the name).

blueguy
October 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
What a really fantastic resource! I can't thank you enough. It's really exciting to be able to make my own game without having extensive knowledge about scripting and the like.

I'm a little bit confused about how I can change some of the animations in the game. The attacks have the "fire" animation, and I want to try to make specific ones. I'm not sure where I associate each attack with the animations I make. And I'd also like to animate the Poké Ball being thrown.

Thank you very much.

Flameguru
October 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Only Preliminary support is built in for Attack Animations. Poccil said this a few pages back. I'm pretty sure he wants us to create animations ourselves and have us send them to him.

phoenixprime88b5
October 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Sorry poccil if i answer wrong. phoenixprime88b5 the reason why some of the attacks aren't working is because the 4th generation attacks aren't programmed in the game as of yet. Which means you are trying to use data that dosen't exist. The reason that the items for eveolution aren't working is because the fact that you might not of created the items in items.txt (i think thats the name).

I know that why the data didn't work. When I was explaining why the data wasn't working was because attacks can't be made and the items woild have to be made for the evolution part. I know Pokemon Programmer, that's why I was saying to Poccil that he would have to add the attacks and items or change the data for the pokemon. So hopefully he'll put the 4th generation pokemon in the next Starter Kit update.

blueguy
October 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I feel pretty stupid, because for some reason I can't get a very simple thing to work. XD

I was wanting to do a player transfer from my starting town into a cave, and it comes up with this error (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/colton_blue/error.png) when the player touches the entrance.

pokemon programer
October 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Sorry I must of misunderstood what you were saying. I asked him that a couple of pages ago but got no answer.
Everybody I sent poccil a pm and told him about an idea I had about possibly making a scripting language to go with it because a lot of people don't like Ruby/RGSS and with all the scipts that poccil has added it might be hard to make a compatible script. Then I thougt I would ask you all wether or not you would want that. Plus it would be a lot easier to learn. I haven't gotten a reply from him yet and would like your input on the this idea. I told him that I would develop the language if he would implment it so please put in your oppion.

Blueguy that is something that happens to me. The reason it happens is because something dosen't intilize properly I seem to find it the most common error that it gives me. Make sure you don't have alot of other programs running when you are playing. It seems to cut down on it happing.

blueguy
October 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Blueguy that is something that happens to me. The reason it happens is because something dosen't intilize properly I seem to find it the most common error that it gives me. Make sure you don't have alot of other programs running when you are playing. It seems to cut down on it happing.

I don't think that's why it's doing it. On the test map, entering and exiting the cave works fine. I'm really confused why it doesn't on my own maps.

pokemon programer
October 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I don't know then I just keep trying and eventully it will work for me. If it happens close the box that says it and hit F12. If this doesn't work then I don't know.

Minorthreat0987
October 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I don't know if it is just me but my game experinces extremely detrimental lag while on outside maps using the Essentials Kit, does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it, i have a maximun of like 15-20 events per map(most have way less like 5-10) so i dont think its overloaded, but i dont know. please help thanks.

.:EDIT:.
Just so you'll know I have the same problem in an unedited version of the Essentials kit, but not in other game files of mine that dont use the essentials kit.

Through some testing i notice that the lag is caused by the connecting of maps, my guess is its processing/updating all the events at once instead of the ones only on the map that the hero is located...maybe. I say this because on Indoor maps there is no lag, so I assume that its because they aren't connected to any other maps using the connections.txt file. If that is the case is there anything that can be done to fix that problem, its a life or death issue with my game... :(

If you need my to, Poccil, I can PM you an un encrypted progress file that you can take a look at..idk tho it might just be my project file is screwed up.

NytewolfAU2k7
October 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yea, I noticed that lag myself Minorthreat0987, I get it often as I have a fair few connecting maps in Code Biohazard (only 3 really; New Bark, Route29 and Cherrygrove) and they lag...

I also have a fair few events on each map individually, namely the various NPC's who inhabit those areas...

poccil
October 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Minorthreat0987:

Part of what I believe is causing lag is the custom Tilemap class I created. Even though I've improved its performance recently, I worry that it may not be enough yet. That's why starting with the next version, the custom class will be enabled only when the screen size is being shrunk. I may even make it a game option in the near future. But thanks for your offer on letting me investigate the problem.

Backmaster
October 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM
@Poccil: Could you try to explain how it works just like you did it for "wichu"?

Send me a PM pls.

Maybe I could work at the animations files.
But i need more sprites^^

Is there anyone who can rip them from game?

Lorem Ipsum
October 20th, 2007, 02:25 AM
How do you get a Pokémon from say a Pokéball in a lab to the party?

Minorthreat0987
October 20th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Minorthreat0987:

Part of what I believe is causing lag is the custom Tilemap class I created. Even though I've improved its performance recently, I worry that it may not be enough yet. That's why starting with the next version, the custom class will be enabled only when the screen size is being shrunk. I may even make it a game option in the near future. But thanks for your offer on letting me investigate the problem.

If that was the case then wouldnt the lag occur on both connected and non-connected maps. I only experience lag when I have the maps connected if I dont have them connected then there is vertually no lag. Also would the tilemap class cause the game to freeze completely, because mine has done that a few times.

poccil
October 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Lorem Ipsum:

See the "Adding a Pokemon" section in my documentation:

For an easy way to add a Pokemon, call pbAddPokemon(X,Y) where X is the species number of the Pokemon, and Y is its level. You can modify that function, which is located in PokemonUtilities, to remove the messages. Adding a Pokemon may fail, so this statement should appear in a "Conditional Branch" event command.

Minorthreat0987:

As I've learned, a reason why the game can freeze is that the game has to load a very large tileset bitmap, which is the case for the sample outdoor maps. I had therefore modified the RPG::Cache class to handle this case, namely that if loading the bitmap would cause the script to hang, it tries again. (As I've learned, RGSS raises the hanging-up exception only once per run.)

Flameguru
October 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Minorthreat0987:

As I've learned, a reason why the game can freeze is that the game has to load a very large tileset bitmap, which is the case for the sample outdoor maps. I had therefore modified the RPG::Cache class to handle this case, namely that if loading the bitmap would cause the script to hang, it tries again. (As I've learned, RGSS raises the hanging-up exception only once per run.)

Not only that, but I'm starting to think the more maps linked to each other, then there is more lag. Like one or two maps has no lag for me (Violet City linked to Route 32) and then I have huge links like New Bark, Route 29, CherryGrove, Route 30 and Route 31 are all linked in a chain and those areas experience some lag.

phoenixprime88b5
October 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Not only that, but I'm starting to think the more maps linked to each other, then there is more lag. Like one or two maps has no lag for me (Violet City linked to Route 32) and then I have huge links like New Bark, Route 29, CherryGrove, Route 30 and Route 31 are all linked in a chain and those areas experience some lag.

That's funny how everyone is saying that they're having lagging problems, I have connected Newbark and all the following routes up to azaalea town including pokemon encounters and trainers and NPC's and the game is running smooth and I have it at the normal resoultion not the smaller one that you can change in the option menu. I have no idea why some of you guys are having laggin problems.

Flameguru
October 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
That's funny how everyone is saying that they're having lagging problems, I have connected Newbark and all the following routes up to azaalea town including pokemon encounters and trainers and NPC's and the game is running smooth and I have it at the normal resoultion not the smaller one that you can change in the option menu. I have no idea why some of you guys are having laggin problems.

You know...Whenever I play the games i am in the lower resolution which does make more processes because of scaling everything down every second. Who knows, all I know is that Golden Heights lagged tons more than my game...

OblivionMew
October 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I just had a thought! Maybe you could do a Pal Park sorta thing by editing the load boxes script.

|Maximus|
October 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I am getting RMXP in about a couple of hours so I can't wait to try out the starter kit I already download the starter kit.

poccil
October 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Changes:

Implemented abilities that trigger on direct attacks
Added custom music function to Pokegear radio
Fixed bug where item GUARDSPEC wasn't defined
Fixed bug where Repel step count wasn't decreasing
Fixed bug where Flash darkness sprite disappeared after
Pokegear was closed
Fixed bug where trainer music failed to be set
Added support for a new format for windowskins
Improved performance of custom Tilemap class even more
Some performance changes in map connections feature
Using predefined Tilemap instead of custom Tilemap
in 480x320 screen size

Modified scripts:

Added: StringIO
Changed: Pokegear
Changed: PBFile
Changed: Credits
Changed: PBItems
Changed: PBTrainers
Changed: - Radio

Flameguru
October 20th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Yayz for asking the Custom music support :)

EDIT: I think If found a Good Bug. When you are in a battle while listening to a song you keep listening to it. I like this a lot, so don't fix it lol ;)

blueguy
October 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but how do I add the updated stuff into my already started game? Which files from the updated kit will I have to add into or replace and where do I put them?

Will all I need to replace be the "scripts.rxdata"? Or is there more? I apologize; I'm sort of daft sometimes.

poccil
October 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
EDIT: I think If found a Good Bug. When you are in a battle while listening to a song you keep listening to it. I like this a lot, so don't fix it lol ;)

It's not a bug, it's intentional. It will work normally again after selecting "Default" from the "custom" menu.

The following files were added or changed since the last release:

PBS/items.txt
PBS/trainers.txt
PBS/trainernames.txt
Graphics/Windowskins/*.png
Graphics/Windowskins/*.txt
Audio/BGM/Descent.mid

That's about it.

Flameguru
October 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Oh, ok....:)

Whats that Descent.mid for anyway? Just to show off custom songs if im not mistaken, correct?

poccil
October 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
No, it's suitable music for the cave.

phoenixprime88b5
October 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Now if it's not too much to ask, would you be able to add the 4th generation pokemon and data in the next release?

|Maximus|
October 21st, 2007, 03:27 AM
How do I change the title instead of it saying pokemon starter kit

NytewolfAU2k7
October 21st, 2007, 04:17 AM
How do I change the title instead of it saying pokemon starter kit

I could not discern exactly what title you wanted, but I'll give you both;

Title screen graphic:

Take a look in the Graphics folder for your game, there should be a subfolder named 'Titles' the title images should be in there...

Use paint, or some other program to edit the images.

Game Window Title:

In RPG Maker XP, Go to the 'Game' menu, click it.
There should be a menu, one of the options is 'change title'
Click that and a window should pop-up that'll let you edit your games title.

hope this helps...

Minorthreat0987
October 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM
Ah, the new release fixed the horrible lag problem. Thats so awsome.

Theres a few things that I think would be nice in the kit and i dont think they would be to hard to program.
1. The little arrow that shows up under the door mats for indoor maps, I know it can be done with events but i also dont think it would be that hard to script.

2. If you press shift before the $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes is set true, the sprite still changes, Is there a way to fix it?

They are both little things so please DO NOT rush to get them done, I just think after all the important things are done they would be a nice little touch to make the kit feel more true to the games. but please do not rush to get them into the kit.

poccil
October 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM
To expand on the response from NytewolfAU2k7:

Essentially, though, the title screen just calls the game-loading screen. Here is an example of a very simple title scene:

class Scene_Xxxx
def main
# Prepare scene
Graphics.transition
while $scene != self
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
end
Graphics.freeze
# Dispose sprites
end
def update
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
# Close scene here
sscene=PokemonLoadScene.new
sscreen=PokemonLoad.new(sscene)
sscreen.pbStartLoadScreen # Will change scene if appropriate
end
end
end

Lorem Ipsum
October 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
I still need my question answered: how do I add Pokémon to the party after receiving them from the Professor?

Flameguru
October 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
I still need my question answered: how do I add Pokémon to the party after receiving them from the Professor?

Thats covered in the notes.html file, Read it ;)

Backmaster
October 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think we should work together to make a perfect working system ;)
There are still many features we could add...

We should discuss it on an a external forum.

Sry for my bad english.... Iam german ;)

Minorthreat0987
October 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
I get this weird error that my player just moves down without me touching the arrow key, and when he hits like a tree or something I lose control and cant move. its really weird.

poccil
October 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
2. If you press shift before the $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes is set true, the sprite still changes, Is there a way to fix it?

Change line 10 of the script section "Walk/Run" to:

if meta[5] && meta[5]!="" &&
(Input.press?(Input::A) && $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes) &&
Input.dir4!=0

|Maximus|
October 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM
How do you call a script during an event like the name input script

poccil
October 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM
axibar:

Use the "Script" event command.

Backmaster
October 22nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
Why doesn´t anybody read my posts and answer them?^^

Iam working on a custom Pokemon Online Script.
I only have a chat system.

Is there anyone who could help me with a custom Online Battlesystem or the Trade System?

Klingon
October 22nd, 2007, 05:28 AM
This game is unique; I hope you well on this.

Lorem Ipsum
October 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
I keep having this error when I playtest.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2415/errorpkmnyw6.png

poccil
October 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
It's a problem with your encounters.txt; perhaps you misspelled an encounter type name. Here are these changes to the script section "Compiler" to be made in response to this:

In line 657, replace "else" with "elsif lastenclen==1" .

Replace line 666 with:

else
raise _INTL("Undefined encounter type {1} in encounters.txt, expected one of the following:\r\n{2}",
line,enctypes.inspect)
end

The resulting error message may better point you to the problem.

Also, you may have put densities after encounter type definitions; this is not allowed. Here's an example of what I mean:

Water
XXX,20
XXX,20
XXX,20
XXX,20
XXX,20
20,20,20 # Densities

|Maximus|
October 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
How do you make wild pokemon appear in the grass.

poccil
October 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
axibar:

Once again, it's in the documentation. See "Wild Pokemon Battles" in notes.html:

To generate a wild Pokemon battle, call pbWildBattle(X,Y) where X is the species number of the Pokemon, and Y is its level. See PBSpecies for species IDs.
To change the kinds of wild Pokemon found in an area, you can modify the file PBS/encounters.txt (see that section in this page).
After doing so, it is enough to put grass tiles (or other tiles with terrain tag 2) on the map for wild Pokemon to appear there -- no events are necessary.
The file encounters.txt supports two different encounter types: Land and Cave. For Land encounter types, wild Pokemon will appear only on the grass.
For Cave encounter types, wild Pokemon will appear anywhere. Several other encounter types are also supported; see the "PBS/encounters.txt"
section for details.

|Maximus|
October 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry for acting like a noob and thanks alot for the help and how do you change the pokemon you receive from the girl =\

Klingon
October 22nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yup; can't wait to see more, can I help in anyway?

Flameguru
October 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Sorry for acting like a noob and thanks alot for the help and how do you change the pokemon you receive from the girl =\

In the PokemonUtilities Script and look for the pbCreatePokemon Function

|Maximus|
October 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Alright thanks a whole but but a little problem when I try to make the pokemon appear it gives me an error.

Lorem Ipsum
October 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thank you! I finally initiated my first battle! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

pokemon programer
October 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hey poccil I found a script it is a mode 7 script it reminds me of pokemon Diamond and Perl I thought you might want to see and anyone else that wants to look.
http://www.rpg-palace.com/scripts/mode07.php
Oh poccil do you think you might be able to add this and the 4th generation pokemon to a later version. Just a question.

Klingon
October 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
This game is sweet, can't wait for more news :P

Absola
October 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Oh poccil do you think you might be able to add this and the 4th generation pokemon to a later version. Just a question.

I tried to add some of the 4th generation pokemon but realized that the graphics are much bigger than the other ones so it looks kinda wierd.. but it's up to you how you want things to be and I dunno maybe some photoshop work can fix this..

By the way, thank you so much poccil for helping me out with the battle backgrounds it works great..!

poccil
October 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
After just three days, a new version of Pokemon Essentials is now available.

Changes:

Removed dependency on RGSS-RTP
Added Trainer battle victory music settings in metadata.txt and trainernames.txt
Implemented hidden items and Itemfinder
Implemented Synchronize
Added support for temporary self switches in events, as well as event-specific variables
Added usage of items in and out of battle to items.txt
Implemented robust, stand-alone door events
Implemented events that are active only once a day (for fruit-bearing trees, etc.)
Changed day/night tinting code to allow "Change Screen Color Tone" to work properly
Redefined "Change Gold" to act on Trainer's money
More performance changes in map connections feature

Modified scripts:

Changed: Scene_Debug
Changed: - Radio

Flameguru
October 23rd, 2007, 02:41 AM
Hey poccil I found a script it is a mode 7 script it reminds me of pokemon Diamond and Perl I thought you might want to see and anyone else that wants to look.
http://www.rpg-palace.com/scripts/mode07.php

Yeah, I personally love the Mode 7 Scripts out there but none of them work due to Poccil rewriting a lot of the Sprite classes.

Poccil, could you try to modify that Mode 7 Script and make it work with the Essentials? The one that pokemon programmer linked is the best one.

Flameguru
October 23rd, 2007, 02:48 AM
Who are the evil teams in this, like team rocket etc? :)

It's not a game...It's a Starter Kit. It has no storyline whatsoever!

poccil
October 23rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Poccil, could you try to modify that Mode 7 Script and make it work with the Essentials? The one that pokemon programmer linked is the best one.

Actually, I made it work fine in Pokemon Essentials. The main problem with scripts like that, though, is performance.

Lorem Ipsum
October 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
How do you implement the night-day system on new maps that you have created?

poccil
October 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Each map with the "Outside" setting in metadata.txt (see "metadata.txt" in the documentation for details) will be tinted according to the time of day. Example for a section of PBS/metadata.txt:

[020]
Outside=true

([020] refers to an ID of one of the maps.)

|Maximus|
October 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
How do you obtain an item that you add,because I made an Iluna ticket and tried to obtain it from the professor and I got an error.

poccil
October 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
The new method for adding an item received from someone is called Kernel.pbReceiveItem, which is in the script section PokemonUtilities. It is used as follows:

Conditional Branch: Script: Kernel.pbReceiveItem(PBItems::SUPERROD)
Text: Take good care of this item.
Else
Text: Your Bag is full.
Branch End

|Maximus|
October 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Oh alright thanks alot.This will be the main item in the game if you don't get this the game can't continue.

pokemon programer
October 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Actually, I made it work fine in Pokemon Essentials. The main problem with scripts like that, though, is performance.

What is the performance any way you can increase it. Maby upload a demo for people who want to try.

poccil
October 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
That part of the script is not ready yet, actually.

Now, I have seen some people use the Healing Spot metadata setting other than intended; namely to say that a map has a Pokemon Center, rather than to say where the entrance to a Pokemon Center's map is. I have updated the description of the Healing Spot setting accordingly:

HealingSpot: If this setting is present, this map is a healing spot (such as a Pokemon Center), and this setting indicates this healing spot's entrance. This setting consists of three numbers, separated by
commas, that indicate the map ID and the X and Y coordinates of the entrance. When this map is entered, the location that the player goes with Teleport will be set to the point identified by this setting. This setting is not to be confused with the point that the player goes after he or she loses a battle; that point is set using a Script event command consisting of the text "pbSetPokemonCenter" (which sets it to the player's current location; see also "Home").

|Maximus|
October 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
How do you change the respawn point when you lose a battle.
When i make an encounter i get an error this is what i have for an encounter:
Land
PIDGEY,5
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,3
PIDGEY,5
PIDGEY,7
PIDGEY,3
SENTRET,4
CELEBI,5#JUST RANDON
CELEBI,2#JUSTRANDOM
CELEBI,4#JUSTRANDOM
CELEBI,4#JUSTRANDOM

-BlackShadow-
October 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Well I Have Made A Region Map Now How Do I Insert It.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.
450 Posts I'm Suprised The Moderators Haven't Stickyed It Yet.

pokemon programer
October 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
I can't remeber wether or not you have implamented pokemon encounters based on the time of day. Like certain pokemon only appear at night.

I also found a script that might be much more useful. It is a debug console that runs when you are runing the game inside RPG Maker XP. The only problem with this verson is that it does not allow user input.
http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=52961.0

Edit:
I just tested it with the version of the starter kit as 10-20-07. I works so far without error. Just incease anybody wants to add it.

poccil
October 23rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks for letting me know about that. I will try it and see how it works.

pokemon programer
October 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
I was looking at improving the Console script to allow user input and was wondering if the script Input* and Keyboard* could help any.

blueguy
October 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
I finally figured out how to implement the night and day system, and I'm very happy with it.
I think the one flaw in it is that at night, things become very harsh-looking. I think it would look better at a softer tone, but that's just me.
I'm also curious if there is a way of making tiles change to suit the time of day, such as windows.

Thank you for continuing to work on this. It's really quite amazing.

venom12
October 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Hey Poccil, maybe you can make apricorns?

My Problem

undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass
Game_Map:15 in `name'
PokemonField:451:in `pbOnMapSceneChange'
PokemonMap:265:in `setSceneChanged'
Scene_Map:27:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:58:in `main'
Main:39

Lorem Ipsum
October 24th, 2007, 02:29 AM
poccil: what scripting language do you use to make the scripts for this?

pokemon programer
October 24th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I can answer this one for him. The starter kit is made in RPG Maker XP which has its own script system a modifyied version of Ruby they call RGSS (Ruby Game Scripting System).

Backmaster
October 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
is there a complete pokemon pairing system in the game?
how to add new pokemon animations ?
Because the one i downloaded are gifs...

phoenixprime88b5
October 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Hy Poccil, I was wondering, Ilex Forest in the original pokemon game has no grass but pokemon are still encountered, I know that in the encounter.txt caves and water and be used to encounter pokemon but how can I make pokemon encounters for the Ilex forest without grass.

|Maximus|
October 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
pheonixprime you would do this in the encounters:

--- # The ID of your map
Cave
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--
-------,--

phoenixprime88b5
October 24th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Okay then, so I would have to set it up as a cave encounter, I was going to use that but i wanted to make sure that there may have been another way, guess not. Thanks Axibar.

|Maximus|
October 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM
No problem.I was having some trouble making encounters.

Lorem Ipsum
October 24th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Is there any way in which I can edit the beginning of the game so I can have an animation in there like other games do?

|Maximus|
October 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM
You would need to edit Pic_1 into an animation I think.

By the way Pic_1 is in the graphics folder under titles

Lorem Ipsum
October 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I know, but I don't think the game accepts .GIFs.

Flameguru
October 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I finally figured out how to implement the night and day system, and I'm very happy with it.
I think the one flaw in it is that at night, things become very harsh-looking. I think it would look better at a softer tone, but that's just me.
I'm also curious if there is a way of making tiles change to suit the time of day, such as windows.

Thank you for continuing to work on this. It's really quite amazing.

There is a way to do that. You can just make a timed based event (On the Left Side of the window check the switch box and then make the box say: s:Time.now.hour>=6&&Time.now.hour<20 is ON)

Just set the Event's graphic to a lighted window and your good to go ;)

(That was just an example, you can change the time)

|Maximus|
October 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I know, but I don't think the game accepts .GIFs.Hmmm you're right it doesn't maybe you should save all of the frames for your .GIF and then edit the script so it will show all of the frames before Pic_1 and Pic_2.I hope I could help.

blueguy
October 24th, 2007, 05:29 PM
There is a way to do that. You can just make a timed based event (On the Left Side of the window check the switch box and then make the box say: s:Time.now.hour>=6&&Time.now.hour<20 is ON)

Just set the Event's graphic to a lighted window and your good to go ;)

(That was just an example, you can change the time)

Thanks! It works... The only problem is that it darkens my windows too... so they don't really appear lit. XD Any advice on how to solve this minor problemo?

NytewolfAU2k7
October 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I know, but I don't think the game accepts .GIFs.

Use .AVI, rather than .GIF's. There is an inbuilt movie playing script if I recall correctly...

There are instructions in one of the scripts... scene_movie?

O.G. Duke
October 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Anyone know how can I delete the day/night system??

poccil
October 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
If you mean to disable it, just comment out the line "tintScreen" on line 123 of the script section AnimationSprite.

venom12
October 24th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Poccil please help me with my problem.

undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass
Game_Map:15 in `name'
PokemonField:451:in `pbOnMapSceneChange'
PokemonMap:265:in `setSceneChanged'
Scene_Map:27:in `createSpritesets'

Lorem Ipsum
October 25th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I mean, how do I edit the script so it shows more than Pic_1 and Pic_2 at the beginning?

I want it to go Pic_1, Pic_2, Pic_3, Pic_4, Pic_5 etc.

|Maximus|
October 25th, 2007, 02:49 AM
You would edit I think scene intro but like Nytewolf said just use cam recorder and make the video show in the begining.

poccil
October 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I mean, how do I edit the script so it shows more than Pic_1 and Pic_2 at the beginning?

I want it to go Pic_1, Pic_2, Pic_3, Pic_4, Pic_5 etc.

It's in the script section Main, here's an example.

$scene = Scene_Intro.new(['Pic_1', 'PictureA', 'PictureB'], 'Pic_2')

|Maximus|
October 25th, 2007, 11:26 AM
How do I activate the Day/Night system it won't work for me.

.houndoomed
October 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Might sound a little noobish, but how do I edit the introduction? I'm still not very good with this XD.

|Maximus|
October 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Might sound a little noobish, but how do I edit the introduction? I'm still not very good with this XD.Change Pic_1 and Pic_2 in the title folder under graphics.

.houndoomed
October 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hmm, I already got it. Thanks anyway!

|Maximus|
October 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
No problem I am here to help...sort of.

blueguy
October 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
How do I activate the Day/Night system it won't work for me.

In the metadata, be sure to make the maps that you want to have day and night outdoors. There are instructions in the file.

I'm wondering what script I use to call up the town map, as in, when the player sees a map on a wall and interacts with it.

BusterHarvey
October 26th, 2007, 07:28 AM
i just wanna' ask, when ever i go on it, it says things like ''cache bitmap open= can't''

poccil
October 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
A new version is now available.

Changes:

Implemented use of items by enemy Trainers
Fixed bug where encounters were assigned to the wrong maps
when they were connected
Added predefined colors and multiple choice support
to the message system
Added a Map View option, which includes a new Perspective Tilemap
Added Switch/Variable settings to Debug menu and made Debug
menu accessible with F9
Added more terrain tags and included location-appropriate
battle backgrounds

Modified scripts

Deleted: aa
Added: DebugConsole
Added: PerspectiveTilemap
Added: PokemonDebug
Changed: PokemonMapAlias
Changed: PokemonMenu
Changed: Scene_Debug
Changed: PokemonSave
Changed: Game_Map*
Changed: Game_Map

O.G. Duke
October 26th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Look great! But it always had update, so I need to always transfer to the newest version...

blueguy
October 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm having troubles implementing the new stuff again. I replaced the "scripts file" and added all the new graphics for the battle scenes.

It's giving me this error:
undefined method `tileset=' for nil:NilClass
WindowAndTilemap:1060:in `tileset='
Spriteset_Map:21:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:69:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:25:in `new'
Scene_Map:25:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:24:in `each'
Scene_Map:24:in `createSpritesets'
Main:30
whenever I try to continue or start a new game. I'd like to know how to fix it.

poccil
October 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
blueguy:

In the script section WindowAndTilemap, near line 1019, add the following after the line that reads "setClass(Draw_Tilemap)":

else
setClass($ResizeFactor==1.0 ? Tilemap : CustomTilemap)

It may also help to delete the save file because of incompatibilities.

WeissRaben
October 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Everytime I try to show a picture or background, it gives me this error:

Failed to load bitmap: 1
RPGCache:52:in `load_bitmap'
RPGCache:97:in `picture'
Sprite_Picture:40:in `update'
Spriteset_Map:232:in `_animationSprite_update'
Spriteset_Map:231:in `each'
Spriteset_Map:231:in `_animationSprite_update'
AnimationSprite:124:in `update'
Scene_Map:46:in `updateSpritesets'
Scene_Map:41:in `each'
Scene_Map:41:in `updateSpritesets'
Scene_Map:108:in `update'
Scene_Map:62:in `main'
Scene_Map:59:in `loop'
Scene_Map:66:in `main'

What causes it?

poccil
October 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
If that happens every time, it's likely that the Graphics folder is missing or portions of that folder are missing. Please re-obtain the Pokemon Essentials distribution.

WeissRaben
October 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM
If that happens every time, it's likely that the Graphics folder is missing or portions of that folder are missing. Please re-obtain the Pokemon Essentials distribution.

...nope...
It gives me this error in the game in which I put the SK. or, to be more accurate, I put the game into the starter kit. But when I try to show the Professor picture, it crash.

poccil
October 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I have sent you a private message.

O.G. Duke
October 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM
It works fine for me^^ And thanks, my fangame getting good and good^^

ali madan
October 27th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Hi, the starter kit is great but how can I control the level of the wild animals in the map, and how can I control the pokemons and their levels of a trainer, and how can I make him battle me? sorry if I bother you dude!!!

NytewolfAU2k7
October 27th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Hi, the starter kit is great but how can I control the level of the wild animals in the map, and how can I control the pokemons and their levels of a trainer, and how can I make him battle me? sorry if I bother you dude!!!

I'm not 100% certain, but I think these questions were answered some pages back...

There is also the notes.html file that comes with the distribution :surprised:

ali madan
October 27th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I checked the notes.html and I undestand most of the things but these I didn't, so I need it in a symplified way!!!

.houndoomed
October 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM
It's me again ^^'

OK, when you make the hero run, all it really does is a fast kind of walk. I'm using the FR/LG hero, different to Red, and I have the spritesheet of the hero running. How do I add this so he runs properly in the game?

|Maximus|
October 27th, 2007, 05:25 AM
How would I make the hero obtain more than one item in one pokeball like five poekballs

Backmaster
October 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM
To summ up all these questions:

@Axibar:
How would I make the hero obtain more than one item in one pokeball like five pokeballs

--> i think it isn´t possible with the current version of Pokemon Essentials

@ali madan
I control the level of the wild animals in the map, and how can I control the pokemons and their levels of a trainer, and how can I make him battle me?

-->look at Trainers.txt...And for call them look in the game...

We need something like a FAQ for the game, so there won´t be so much questions^^

There are still some features to add:
The Pokeball Feature (using them)
The Feature of changing items , adding new items.
The multiple getting of Items.
The 4th generation of Pokemon
The New DP moves if possible
Maybe some sort of online script with netplay plus 2.0.
Selecting the menu, batlle and character style (FR/LG, R/S/E [D/P only character] )
Different Box Backgrounds (i´ve ripped them already...)
New Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Sprites
The Male or Female Icon instead of "F" or "M".
The Game sounds.
Game Intro

and so on

@Poccil
PM me if you need the graphics for new features

|Maximus|
October 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Oh alright I will stick with it saying the same message 5 times.XD

Oh and does anybody know how to obtian a badge from a gym leader like a boulderbadge

poccil
October 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I just added a small note in the documentation about that:

To add a Gym Badge, use $Trainer.badges[X]=true where X is a number from 0 through 7. It is normally set after the player defeats a Gym Leader.

phoenixprime88b5
October 27th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Well made the 500th post. Just wanted to ask since I'm making several regions, how can I extend the amount of badges that be obtained?