PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Fraot
August 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
4,COMETPUNCH,Comet Punch,1D,18,SPACE,Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,"The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row."

It seems everything's OK, you may be missing the type graphic(where it says: "SPACE", or "FIRE", i mean, the picture, do you know what i'm talking about?).

If that's the problem, you must add the graphic to below the QMARKS's... or above, depending on the number of type you edited.

EDIT: According to your script, put the LIGHT and SPACE types on the 16th and 17th positions(below DARK and above QMARKS). And, I think you noticed the "types.png" picture on the Graphics/Pictures folder, edit it.

Pier
August 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It seems everything's OK, you may be missing the type graphic(where it says: "SPACE", or "FIRE", i mean, the picture, do you know what i'm talking about?).

If that's the problem, you must add the graphic to below the QMARKS's... or above, depending on the number of type you edited.

EDIT: According to your script, put the LIGHT and SPACE types on the 16th and 17th positions(below DARK and above QMARKS). And, I think you noticed the "types.png" picture on the Graphics/Pictures folder, edit it.
I forgot to do this, so I added a type graphic for both types, but I still get the same message.

~JV~
August 7th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I know whats your problem, the editor somehow doesnt read new types. Open your game through the playtest button (so it can update your scripts and pbs stuff) then run the editor. It's just a essentials' bug.

Raymeltos
August 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Hello, I'm kinda new to Pokemon Essentials...not to RPG Maker though. My major problem at the moment is...well I'm trying to get other trainer ID's to load...but I don't really understand what I have to do...I tried separating the name and the ID with a comma...but I can't think of much else to do.

Pier
August 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I know whats your problem, the editor somehow doesnt read new types. Open your game through the playtest button (so it can update your scripts and pbs stuff) then run the editor. It's just a essentials' bug.

It worked, thanks. During that same playtest, I ran into another error while I should be encountering a wild Pokémon. I haven't edited any script parts mentioned. What's wrong?
---------------------------
Pokémon: Digital invasion
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `metat=' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x98e2440>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1575:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_Battle:715:in `pbStartBattleCore'
PokeBattle_Battle:687:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonField:479:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:478:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonField:480:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:477:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonField:477:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:800:in `pbOnStepTaken'
Game_Player_:447:in `update_old'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Fraot
August 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Yes, he's right. But, I thought you already did that, didn't you?

When you run a test play it automatictly compiles the PBS files you edited(if you saved at least one, it will compile all the files). I think you,Pier, already did that. So if this is not the anwer, I dunno. I haven't added types on my game.

I may add a type on order to help you to know what's wrong.

EDIT: You, yes you, Pier. You pasted mad.array's feature to your game, that's it.
Well, if you want that solved, press Ctrl+F on the scripts window of the Pedapp Basic game, and then paste "metat" to look for scripts containing it. Copy and paste every script to your game containg "metat", and then should contain "metspcl" and "metlv" as well.

Pier
August 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I copied all the script and it worked, thanks Fraot!

rockleon
August 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hello, I have a couple questions for now.
I've been working on my game. and i wanted to know how to move the bases, like where the pokemon stand. theres a link to a picture of what i mean in the sig.How can i move the pokemon so it fits on the base better?and i also wanted to know if theres a possible way for it to show the pokemons icon on the pokemon on the left of the health bar. Y'know? like in the pokemon summary?

Maruno
August 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hello, I have a couple questions for now.
I've been working on my game. and i wanted to know how to move the bases, like where the pokemon stand. theres a link to a picture of what i mean in the sig.How can i move the pokemon so it fits on the base better?and i also wanted to know if theres a possible way for it to show the pokemons icon on the pokemon on the left of the health bar. Y'know? like in the pokemon summary?
You'll want to look in PokeBattle_ActualScene. That's the part of the scripts that dictates where everything is placed in the battle screens. It's also very messy.

A similar question was asked very recently in here, regarding moving pokémon sprites around in the battle screen (which I answered). Read that, and also know that you can change the coordinates for any of the pictures/sprites displayed by finding where it's generated in the script. Since the circles of grass are named "battlebase" (so I recall), searching for that phrase would be a good start. Wherever you come across something that looks like it's a set of coordinates for the battle bases, it's a good sign that you should probably change them a bit. And use my previous advice for moving pokémon sprites around the screen as well.

I won't answer that question any more thoroughly, because it would involve my doing some research (I haven't touched the battle screen yet in my project, so I'm not too familiar with it) and because you really should be looking to see if anyone else has been asking the same questions before.

As for showing pokémon icons (the little animated ones), it's perfectly possible. There's one part of the PokeBattle_ActualScene script that dictates how the battle boxes are laid out (where the health bar goes, where the name goes, etc. etc.), and you could easily add in a line of code to display the icon somewhere in there as well. If you don't know how, look up how it's done in the Pokémon Party screen and basically copy-paste.

Though I'm not sure why you'd want the icons, seeing as how the full sprite is right there, along with its name. Do you really need another identifier? :D

Fraot
August 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I copied all the script and it worked, thanks Fraot!

You're welcome. The next time, if you want to extract scripts from someone else, try to copy everything and be careful. Backup the original text files in case you ruin them.

That's my experience.

?Alistair?
August 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I was wondering where I start to go about changing the screen resolution to make my game ok to display 80x80 sprites. Thanks.

InMooseWeTrust
August 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I was wondering where I start to go about changing the screen resolution to make my game ok to display 80x80 sprites. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend doing that because it would mess up almost all the graphics in the game. If you're willing to remake and realign them all, then just do a simple screen resize.

Fraot
August 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing that because it would mess up almost all the graphics in the game. If you're willing to remake and realign them all, then just do a simple screen resize.

He's right ?Alistair?, I wouldn't recommend that. I'm having a hard time adjusting everything on the screen(scripts), and it is not easy nor pleasant.

But if you want to change the screen size anyway, then go to the "SpriteResizer" script and edit the first lines:
#-----------
module Graphics
@@width=512
@@height=384
#-----------
Those are mine, they're the ones for the DS's resolution. Or (480x320 for the GBA's). You must know that every size/measure here is doubled.

thepsynergist
August 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
OK this isn't a large problem, but I want to make an Item that allows you to warp from one place to a specific place.
I have this script and everything works fine, but when the script finishes, i get a text box that says, "Can't use that item here." Its just a cosmetic error, but I want to know how to get rid of it. Thx a bunch. I placed this in PokemonItems tab of script.

when PBItems::TRWATCH
if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Do you want to warp to the Rocket Headquarters?"))
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("\PN warps to Rocket Headquarters."))
Audio.se_play('Audio/SE/018-Teleport01', 100, 100)
$game_screen.start_flash(Color.new(255, 255, 255, 160), 5)
$game_map.setup(34)
$game_player.moveto(25,21)
$game_player.straighten
$game_map.update
$game_map.autoplay
$scene = Scene_Map.new
Graphics.transition(20)
return 2
else
return 2
end

MisterTdK
August 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Does anyone have the headbutt animation from the older versions? Because in the newest version it appears to be bugged. (The July 21 release)

Thx a lot!

NikNaks
August 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM
If I was to remake, say, Emerald with Essentials, is there any capability for me to have a Pal-Park type area in another game, where I could send my Emerald Pokémon?

venom12
August 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hey, i have problem when i use command to call scene like pbShowBag or trainercard that doesnt work i got error.

Fraot
August 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
If I was to remake, say, Emerald with Essentials, is there any capability for me to have a Pal-Park type area in another game, where I could send my Emerald Pokémon?

Wut?!
Are you serious?!... ... ... man, this is bad. How can you transfer pokémon from another pokémon game? THERE'S NO WAY.

Please, be logic, if Pokémon Essentials were a hack, then there could be a posibility. But... gosh! It's impossible. If you find a way to extract data from .pkm files then you'll have my respect.

@venom12: "Hey, i have problem when i use command to call scene like pbShowBag or trainercard that doesnt work i got error. "

To call a scene it is "$scene = Scene_x.new", where 'x' is the name of the class, in this case, scene. I think the "pb" is to call other kind of scenes, like the town map. I don't know exactly but, it's not used to call scenes like the bag.

Alexandre
August 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Wut?!
Are you serious?!... ... ... man, this is bad. How can you transfer pokémon from another pokémon game? THERE'S NO WAY.

Please, be logic, if Pokémon Essentials were a hack, then there could be a posibility. But... gosh! It's impossible. If you find a way to extract data from .pkm files then you'll have my respect.
Don't claim without proof, this is an extremley simple feat. All it requires is a simple load of the trainers party from the other save file, a little coding here and there, and encounters can be made utilising the pokemon from the trainer's party ;). You even gave me an idea on how to do it for Blue Chrome to transfer PKMN between Heroes and Explorers.

Fraot
August 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Don't claim without proof, this is an extremley simple feat. All it requires is a simple load of the trainers party from the other save file, a little coding here and there, and encounters can be made utilising the pokemon from the trainer's party ;). You even gave me an idea on how to do it for Blue Chrome to transfer PKMN between Heroes and Explorers.

Whatever, the .pkm files' coding is different that the Essentials's, and I think there's no way to decode those files in order to make them loadable for Essentials later.

lx_theo
August 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Whatever, the .pkm files' coding is different that the Essentials's, and I think there's no way to decode those files in order to make them loadable for Essentials later.

There's probably a way, but not many would be capable of doing it.

wandererwillow
August 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The coding is COMPLETELY different. Pokemon games use their own coding and engine, while Pokemon Essentials uses the RPG Maker coding. So, in short, it's impossible without creating a way to connect the two games and have them communicate through a bridge, which is damn near impossible without getting down to the exact coding and information that is transfered, and the reprogramming Pokemon Essentials to understand, decode, and use that information.

Honestly, I'm not one to say things are completely impossible, but with it's extremely improbable that someone would take the time to do that, considering the massive amount of detailed coding necessary.

Napalm
August 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Awesome stuff. thank you very much! I've just started using RMXP myself.

Alexandre
August 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Ah, sorry, I thought he meant transfer between two RMXP games, but still transfering between a real pokemon game and an rmxp game is feasable, I would look into it, if I had experience in C >_>

Raymeltos
August 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I'm having a current problem with RPG Maker in general, and I was wondering if I could get help. I had this same problem with VX as well...But at random times, a bunch of my imported graphics files are ignored...it's weird...it treats them as blanks. I can reload them all, but it will just pretend they're not there everytime I close and re-open RPG Maker...it's very annoying and if anyone can help me...I love you.

Wichu
August 10th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Are you sure you haven't got any other files in the same folder with the same name, but a different extension? That could be the problem...

I'm pretty sure NikNaks wants to transfer his Pokemon to another RMXP game, not to D/P/Pt :P
Anyway, transferring Pokemon between two RMXP games isn't that hard if you know a bit of scripting. You'd simply load the save of your other game, add the Pokemon from that to your actual save, then resave the other save file after removing the Pokemon.
Loading/saving Pokemon from a Nintendo game would be more difficult, though. You wouldn't be able to do it without an external device, since you'd have to copy the D/P/Pt save to a computer. DS games aren't rewritable, so you couldn't recode it to send the data through Wi-Fi; you need an external device. Once you've done that, you'd have to find where the Pokemon are stored in the sav file. Then, you'd need to figure out the encryption and data structure, and load the data to a new PokeBattle_Pokemon object. Saving would probably be the same, but in reverse; however, I think that the D/P/Pt saves are protected by a checksum, so you'd also have to recalculate that.
Loading pkm files is much easier, since they're not encrypted. A pkm file is just the decrypted and unshuffled Pokemon data; the actual structure is identical to the original data. If you can crack pkm files, that's half the journey to loading them directly from the game. The only problem with using pkms is that you'd need another program to actually extract those from a save file.
It's pretty complex, but nowhere near impossible. If you have a good grasp of RGSS, and figure out how Pokemon are actually stored in the DS games, then you should be able to do it.

But how do I know all this? ;)

Raymeltos
August 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Well...that isn't the case...because the files aren't even appearing...and plus, it worked perfectly fine beforehand...then I went into the editor, added a pokemon to one of the trainers...compiled it...and when I went to playtest it, and it said that Graphics/Characters/Red couldn't be found...even though it was in there. I previewed the file in my materials...and it's blank. even though it's clearly in the folder...no matter how much I re-import it all...in the end...it just disappears. I've also noticed they only tend to be files I personally added. They all worked fine before...but with time, it just messes up. I'm thinking it might be a Vista-related problem possibly, but who knows. VX did the same thing to me, so I eventually refused to use it anymore, but I'd really like to continue this Pokemon game. Oh and even if I start a new one and load everything and stuff, it all goes away again.

Wichu
August 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Try changing the metadata entry to Red.png instead of just Red. Other than that, I have no idea...

Alexandre
August 10th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Are you sure you haven't got any other files in the same folder with the same name, but a different extension? That could be the problem...

I'm pretty sure NikNaks wants to transfer his Pokemon to another RMXP game, not to D/P/Pt :P
Anyway, transferring Pokemon between two RMXP games isn't that hard if you know a bit of scripting. You'd simply load the save of your other game, add the Pokemon from that to your actual save, then resave the other save file after removing the Pokemon.
Loading/saving Pokemon from a Nintendo game would be more difficult, though. You wouldn't be able to do it without an external device, since you'd have to copy the D/P/Pt save to a computer. DS games aren't rewritable, so you couldn't recode it to send the data through Wi-Fi; you need an external device. Once you've done that, you'd have to find where the Pokemon are stored in the sav file. Then, you'd need to figure out the encryption and data structure, and load the data to a new PokeBattle_Pokemon object. Saving would probably be the same, but in reverse; however, I think that the D/P/Pt saves are protected by a checksum, so you'd also have to recalculate that.
Loading pkm files is much easier, since they're not encrypted. A pkm file is just the decrypted and unshuffled Pokemon data; the actual structure is identical to the original data. If you can crack pkm files, that's half the journey to loading them directly from the game. The only problem with using pkms is that you'd need another program to actually extract those from a save file.
It's pretty complex, but nowhere near impossible. If you have a good grasp of RGSS, and figure out how Pokemon are actually stored in the DS games, then you should be able to do it.

But how do I know all this? ;)
The extraction of the .pkmn file is easily done utilisting the Pokemon Box organizer available on the Project Pokemon forums. BTW Wichu, can I have the .rxproj to your ROM editor, I would like to do a little more investigating into the extraction of data from the sav files ;)

Wichu
August 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I think that the .rxproj file is basically the same for all RMXP games. Try copying it from one of yours. Alternatively, replace the Scripts file with the file in RHXP to see the scripts. But I don't know why you want to do that, since ROM editing is different from sav editing...

Also, it is a lot more convenient to be able to load Pokemon data straight from the save, rather than having to extract it with another program first. That's why I suggested it.

Alexandre
August 10th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Oh, ok I hadn't yet downloaded the file, so I didn't realize you didn't compress it, I assumed you did >_>. The reason I asked was I just wanted to have a look at how you told RMXP to access the NDS file etc ;)

Wichu
August 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I just used the standard File class; that's how Essentials accesses the PBS and other files. You can use things like file.pos (the current offset) and file.getc (reads one byte from the file) to read data. Alternatively, you could use poccil's IO extension; the fgetb, fgetw, and fgetdw methods were designed to read a byte, a word, and a double word respectively in the GBA format (can't remember the name, but it's the one where byte order is reversed).

NikNaks
August 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Whoa! I wasn't expecting that much of a response to my question. To clarify, I was proposing a system that would work between RMXP games, not between RMXP and a ROM or a handheld. Good to know that it's possible, and it doesn't sound particularly difficult. Thanks for the pointers. :)

Fraot
August 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Well, it would be cool if Alexandre did that, and if you could extract the codes of those files, they'd be in Hex format since it's from a ROM, hex is not beautiful. Pokémon Blue Chrome would be even greater if it could load pokémon files.

Also, who needs C? Java is better.
RPG Maker XP can't load a .nds file because it's not an emulator.

EDIT: Sorry NikNaks, I thougt you meant to transfer from a ROM to your rpg xp game because you said something about your emerald.

Maruno
August 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Two more pages ago...

This is a repeat of a question I asked 7 pages ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Maruno/Scarfproblem.png

I disabled the use of the Pokémon fonts, because I want to use Arial instead. I also don't want to use all caps everywhere, so amongst other things, I edited the item names.

When looking in the Bag (and other places), I notice the above. Namely, that any item whose display name ends with a lower case "f" will have its name squashed horizontally.

This bug has been observed in the Debug "Add Pokémon" menu, the Bag (see picture) and in the Pokédex Summary screen. Each seems to use a different method of displaying the text, as far as I'm aware.

This bug does NOT appear in the Pokédex list (which uses yet another different text display method).

Any ideas why this bug is popping up, and how to fix it? It's driving me nuts.
Having done a little bit of researching, I've discovered that the bug does not occur in the list in the Pokédex. The code here writes the name via "_ISPRINTF" into a string (called "text" here), and then that string is immediately displayed on the screen by "self.contents.draw_text".

However, the bug does occur in, for example, the Pokédex summary screen, where the pokémon's name is put into a variable via "_ISPRINTF" and "textpos.push" (where "textpos" is an array), and goes through "pbDrawTextPositions" before being displayed on the screen by "bitmap.draw_text".

As far as I can make out, the cause of the bug is the storing of a string into an array as opposed to a variable (that's my personal opinion, anyway). The question is, how to fix it?

I really need help with this, as this happens all over the place in the game. It seems to affect any string ending in a lower case "f" that is at some point stored in an array (typically seen in pokémon names, item names, move names, ability names, player's name, etc. etc.).

If the bug was more generalised, I would just assume it couldn't be done. However, the fact that it only affects strings ending with a lower case "f" is highly confusing. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Alexandre
August 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Also, who needs C? Java is better.
RPG Maker XP can't load a .nds file because it's not an emulator.
I said C as I would have liked to have a look at the source code of PPSE to see how it interacts with the pokemon savs. And,again, dom't claim without proof, Wichu has developed an application that allows you to edit pokemon .nds roms. Emulating an .nds file can be done in RMXP, it just takes a talented coder.

Wichu
August 11th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Actually, RHXP edits .gba files, not .nds files. Just thought I'd clear that up :)

RGSS can load any type of file, using the File.new method; however, it won't know what to do with it unless you make a script for it. So it can load a ROM file, but not play it. It can read data from it and edit it, though; that's what I did in RHXP.

Alexandre, have you tried going to projectpokemon.org? Their wiki has a lot of information on save file and Pokemon structure. That's where I got my information from.

EDIT: By the way, are you planning to include the ability to load D/P/Pt saves in your game? I thought about that too, but I decided not to, for two reasons. Firstly, most people don't have the ability to dump their own save files, and it would therefore give an unfair advantage to those who can. Secondly, if you're going to have online play, then it gives players the ability to cheat; it's hard to edit the save file of a relatively unknown fangame, because nobody would really want to figure out how. But if you can import Pokemon from D/P/Pt, then anyone can just use Pokesav and hack themselves a powerful Pokemon. Not to mention that since it doesn't actually remove them from the D/P/Pt save file, any Pokemon transferred can be cloned as many times as you want.

Alexandre
August 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Actually, RHXP edits .gba files, not .nds files. Just thought I'd clear that up :)

RGSS can load any type of file, using the File.new method; however, it won't know what to do with it unless you make a script for it. So it can load a ROM file, but not play it. It can read data from it and edit it, though; that's what I did in RHXP.

Alexandre, have you tried going to projectpokemon.org? Their wiki has a lot of information on save file and Pokemon structure. That's where I got my information from.

EDIT: By the way, are you planning to include the ability to load D/P/Pt saves in your game? I thought about that too, but I decided not to, for two reasons. Firstly, most people don't have the ability to dump their own save files, and it would therefore give an unfair advantage to those who can. Secondly, if you're going to have online play, then it gives players the ability to cheat; it's hard to edit the save file of a relatively unknown fangame, because nobody would really want to figure out how. But if you can import Pokemon from D/P/Pt, then anyone can just use Pokesav and hack themselves a powerful Pokemon. Not to mention that since it doesn't actually remove them from the D/P/Pt save file, any Pokemon transferred can be cloned as many times as you want.
I was thinking just to do it for the scripting experience. Thanks for the link, didn't realize they had a wiki. And I thought about the pokesav hacking thing. If you think about it, people use AR anyway to hack themselves good pokemon on the real games, there is not much I can do to prevent it anyway.

NikNaks
August 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM
And I thought about the pokesav hacking thing. If you think about it, people use AR anyway to hack themselves good pokemon on the real games, there is not much I can do to prevent it anyway.That was what I thought when that issue cropped up originally. One of my friends suggested some simple blocks for obvious cheats (stats too high or wrong abilities) but I can't see a watertight solution. With every system, someone somewhere will want to cheat. :(

Fraot
August 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
D/P/Pt save file, any Pokemon transferred can be cloned as many times as you want.

LOL, indeed, some of my friends did that, it's no good for real purposes. That's why it's better to only allow you to transfer pokémon from one RPGXP game to another.

@Alexandre:
With "RPG Maker XP can't load a .nds file because it's not an emulator" I meant that you can't play either a Nds nor a Gba ROM, not simply load it. Of course, with the skills of Wichu or some other talented coders it would be possible.

ultron90
August 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
my starter cant install the fonts... can anyone tell me why? n how to solve it?

TuRbO-LuT
August 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hiya. I am needing to know how to change the colour and the shadow colour of certain text. The text i want changed is while in battle you either choose "Fight, Pokemon, Bag or Run" and then when you choose Fight i need all that text changed too. I have looked in the PokeBattle_ActualScene to see if i could find anything but i cannot. Maybe i am looking in the wrong place :D

Thanks in advanced anyway :D

Nyu~♥!
August 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
hey peoples, been here before and I wanted to ask something...
Whenever I try to start my game up, it says that LIGHT type is unverified or registered, (in other words, it is unknown) in PBTypes. Here's the error code:

Compiler:1303:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:1297:in `each'
Compiler:1297:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:1270:in `loop'
Compiler:1331:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:3525:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3636
Exception: RuntimeError
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 18, key Type1
LIGHT
Compiler:1984:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:2009:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:2305:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2293:in `each'
Compiler:2293:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2291:in `loop'
Compiler:2361:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2279:in `each'
Compiler:2279:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2278:in `each'

This is my PBTypes script:

class PBTypes
NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18
def PBTypes.getCount
# Change this number if you add a new type
# This number doesn't include QMARKS
return 18
end
PBTypeChart=[
# Rows indicate the attack's type
# Columns indicate the opponent's type
# 0 - Immune
# 1 - "Not very effective"
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# When you add a new type, add a number showing effect
# on opponents with that type to each line, then add a
# new line showing effect on attacks with the new type
# on opponents.
]
def PBTypes.getName(type)
# Add the names of new types at the end of
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end

Please tell me what's wrong... am I missing a line or something??

~JV~
August 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Somehow you have 17 vertical lines and 19 horizontal ones, while it sould be 18x18.

jessevanatta
August 11th, 2009, 03:04 PM
HELP! i've searched everywhere on the internet and in these many threads and i can't figure out how to get my text box (as in the text displayed in events with "show text..." in them) to look like the text boxes in all pokemon games. when i say "like the pokemon games" i mean how their boxes are much smaller with different window graphics, and how when you press A (or the "action button") the text scrolls. know what i mean?? i cant think of any other way to explain it. if there is some code for this somewhere, or some settings in the database, i have no idea how to change it so if someone knows how to i would really appreciate it if you could explain!!! thank you!

lx_theo
August 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
HELP! i've searched everywhere on the internet and in these many threads and i can't figure out how to get my text box (as in the text displayed in events with "show text..." in them) to look like the text boxes in all pokemon games. when i say "like the pokemon games" i mean how their boxes are much smaller with different window graphics, and how when you press A (or the "action button") the text scrolls. know what i mean?? i cant think of any other way to explain it. if there is some code for this somewhere, or some settings in the database, i have no idea how to change it so if someone knows how to i would really appreciate it if you could explain!!! thank you!

Assuming you are in fact using Essentials already, the window look and screen size can be changed in options, and the press A part only happens when the text is long enough. Otherwise it should be fine.

If you are not using Essentials then you should download it and use that.

rockleon
August 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM
You'll want to look in PokeBattle_ActualScene. That's the part of the scripts that dictates where everything is placed in the battle screens. It's also very messy.

A similar question was asked very recently in here, regarding moving pokémon sprites around in the battle screen (which I answered). Read that, and also know that you can change the coordinates for any of the pictures/sprites displayed by finding where it's generated in the script. Since the circles of grass are named "battlebase" (so I recall), searching for that phrase would be a good start. Wherever you come across something that looks like it's a set of coordinates for the battle bases, it's a good sign that you should probably change them a bit. And use my previous advice for moving pokémon sprites around the screen as well.

I won't answer that question any more thoroughly, because it would involve my doing some research (I haven't touched the battle screen yet in my project, so I'm not too familiar with it) and because you really should be looking to see if anyone else has been asking the same questions before.

As for showing pokémon icons (the little animated ones), it's perfectly possible. There's one part of the PokeBattle_ActualScene script that dictates how the battle boxes are laid out (where the health bar goes, where the name goes, etc. etc.), and you could easily add in a line of code to display the icon somewhere in there as well. If you don't know how, look up how it's done in the Pokémon Party screen and basically copy-paste.

Though I'm not sure why you'd want the icons, seeing as how the full sprite is right there, along with its name. Do you really need another identifier? :D
I guess i dont, but i like the idea lol.
I looked back into the thread. I think i see what you mean about the x, but I'm not sure how to access the pokemon.txt file, unless you mean the one in pbs. If thats the case I dont see anything like that in there. And one more thing, do you know how i can change the pokedex so the mesurements are different? be cuase it cant read " like in the official pokemon games. For height and weight

Wichu
August 12th, 2009, 05:41 AM
If you're trying to use the message system outside of Essentials, poccil posted it by itself on RMXP.org (search the scripts forum).

I'm not too sure on the problem with the Light type script; that error suggests you haven't added the LIGHT constant, yet looking at your script, you have... Let me know if fixing the table changes anything.

I doubt RGSS is fast enough to be able to emulate the GBA or DS by itself. It would be kinda possible, though; you could write the emulator in a different language, and then have it draw to the RGSS window. I don't think you'd be able to interact with it using RGSS easily if you did it that way, though.

And finally, you can still clone with just RMXP games, by copying the Game.rxdata file; that is, unless you can come up with an anti-cloning system ;)

Quilava's Master
August 12th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Can anyone help me. I am wondering how you would animate attacks with two parts (dive, fly, skull bash, razor wind) i know it has to be Move:XXX but how would i make it wait one turn before continuing?

Fraot
August 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Can anyone help me. I am wondering how you would animate attacks with two parts (dive, fly, skull bash, razor wind) i know it has to be Move:XXX but how would i make it wait one turn before continuing?

You can edit a class on PokeBattle_MoveEffects, you can add a animation when you use a move.
This is an example:

class PokeBattle_Move_32 < PokeBattle_Move
def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
if attacker.pbTooHigh?(PBStats::ATTACK)
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s Attack won't go higher!",attacker.pbThis))
return -1
else
attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]+=2
attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]=6 if attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]>6
@battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,nil)
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("StatUp",attacker,nil) <--- This line!!!!
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s Attack sharply rose!",attacker.pbThis))
return 0
end
end
end

The line with a red arrow is the one that indicates an animation to be performed. I'll investigate more because i have not enough knowledge on this kind of methods(to show animations).
On your case, look at moves.txt on the PBS folder, then look for... i dunno, "Skull Bash", see what effect it has. The move effect is the hex number next to the display name: "SKULLBASH, SKULL BASH, 91, 100".
It's effect is 91, look for it at the script i wrote about. And try to add a line like the one with the red arrow above. "StatUP" is the name of the animation.

Wichu can explain this better...

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch
August 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
So... I was reading, and reading, and reading through this, and finally decided that it was hopeless without a search feature. And maybe I need to upgrade Essentials, as I haven't gotten to doing that yet - but I don't want to do that any more often than I have to, because it seems like quite a hassle.

So here's my problem. I don't understand how to make pbSetSelfSwitch work. It's not thoroughly documented in the notes - in fact, it's only mentioned once. I've figured out that you need to give the event, which of the event's self switches, and whether to turn it on or off. But I'm not sure how you'd do that.

At risk of looking like a noob, here's what I did have:

pbSetSelfSwitch($game_map.events[17],
A,[ON])

So could someone please tell me how to make it work? Thanks.

Luka S.J.
August 12th, 2009, 12:03 PM
So... I was reading, and reading, and reading through this, and finally decided that it was hopeless without a search feature. And maybe I need to upgrade Essentials, as I haven't gotten to doing that yet - but I don't want to do that any more often than I have to, because it seems like quite a hassle.

So here's my problem. I don't understand how to make pbSetSelfSwitch work. It's not thoroughly documented in the notes - in fact, it's only mentioned once. I've figured out that you need to give the event, which of the event's self switches, and whether to turn it on or off. But I'm not sure how you'd do that.

At risk of looking like a noob, here's what I did have:

pbSetSelfSwitch($game_map.events[17],
A,[ON])

So could someone please tell me how to make it work? Thanks.

That's quite simple. Use this:

pbSetSelfSwitch(X,"A",true)

Replace X with the evend ID number and the A in "" can be replaced by the other letters (B,C,D).

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch
August 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Okay, that was very nearly, almost what I needed, and it allowed me to figure out the rest. So for anyone else who needs to know, the exact code for setting the self-switch of another event is this:

pbSetSelfSwitch($game_map.events[X],
"Y",true)

Where X is the event number, and Y is the switch (A, B, C, or D).

Thanks though, Luka, for putting me on the right track.

EDIT: Nevermind... It gives no errors now, and doesn't stop me from moving (the way the original code given by Luka did), but it also doesn't seem to be changing the switch. You see, I'm using a switch to make a character appear while it is offscreen, before walking on, by having an event page with switches off, no graphics or code, and an event page with a sprite, but no code. Once it appears, the event will walk up to you, talk with you, and then walk away, and disappear again once it goes offscreen. All of this is controlled by a stationary, invisible event which the player steps on. But, like the double battles, the command does not seem to actually change the self switch. Does this mean I need to upgrade? Or is something else wrong?

PokemonOI
August 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
what do I edit in the scripts to control the EXP? I think in my game the EXP is too much. My pokemon are leveling up to much or rather too quick

Fraot
August 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM
what do I edit in the scripts to control the EXP? I think in my game the EXP is too much. My pokemon are leveling up to much or rather too quick

I think there's a script related to experience, it's called PBExperience. At the beggining there're four tables, I think there're four... well, when you open the pokemon.txt on PBS folder, you can see that some pokémon has "fluctuating", "errating", "medium", "slow", "fast" on the line "experience". I don't know what else should explain here... just edit that script, or edit some pokemon on the pokemon.txt file in order to make them grow faster or slower...

Poeman
August 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Just a quick question of something I never figured out, how can I set the graphics for the berry plants?

C0d3 br3ak3r
August 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I have a DUMB question: How can I download this starter kit?
(I know, I need to look around this thread some more)

Nyu~♥!
August 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Somehow you have 17 vertical lines and 19 horizontal ones, while it sould be 18x18.

I feel stupid.. XD Thank you, I'll try it now.

Thanks for the help, guys, it's still not working.. if anyone can fix this script, please do. It's right under here:
class PBTypes
NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18
def PBTypes.getCount
return 18
end
PBTypeChart=[
# 0 - Immune
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# on opponents.
]
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end

And Silver, you download the starter kit from upokecenter... Starting a game? heh. Careful now.

C0d3 br3ak3r
August 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Oh... Thanks.
I need to use my head more.

~JV~
August 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the help, guys, it's still not working.. if anyone can fix this script, please do. It's right under here:
class PBTypes
NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18
def PBTypes.getCount
return 18
end
PBTypeChart=[
# 0 - Immune
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# on opponents.
]
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end

And Silver, you download the starter kit from upokecenter... Starting a game? heh. Careful now.

Actually I've added a type on my game xD, I was just too lazy to check the script for you yesterday. It's missing a comma at teh end of "_INTL("LIGHT")" like in the other lines xD.

Hall Of Famer
August 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Does anyone of you know how to generate a scripted battle in pokemon essentials, like the old man catching a Weedle?

TuRbO-LuT
August 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Does anyone of you know how to generate a scripted battle in pokemon essentials, like the old man catching a Weedle?

I 2nd that :D

Also 1. Could somebody explain how to add a new item into the game please. I have read the notes over and over but im not really understanding it that much :D
2. Explain how to use the dependent events so i can make whatever Pokemon you have first in your party follow you. :D

Thanks~

Wichu
August 14th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Scripted battles aren't a feature of Essentials; if you want to make one, you'll have to script it yourself.

?Alistair?
August 14th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Still suffering with the same error.

Message: undefined method `pbGetDayNightMinutes' for #<LightEffect_DayNight:0x56fc498>
PokemonField:998:in `update'
AnimationSprite:94:in `update'
AnimationSprite:93:in `each'
AnimationSprite:93:in `update'
Spriteset_Map:44:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:55:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:204:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:26:in `new'
Scene_Map:26:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:25:in `each'

Now i know that it's unlikely that someone will have seen the same error before- but I thought maybe someone might have a clue as to what I should do (i've already replaced the mentioned scripts with the basic PE ones, still no change)

Thanks.

Poeman
August 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Just a quick question of something I never figured out, how can I set the graphics for the berry plants?
Anyone?

phenox
August 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Does anyone know how to show the day of the week or month in the game ?

Maruno
August 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM

class PBTypes
NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18
def PBTypes.getCount
return 18
end
PBTypeChart=[
# 0 - Immune
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# on opponents.
]
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end
You're missing a row/column for the QMARKS type. The table needs to be 19x19. QMARKS should be all 2s against everything else both ways.

Hiya. I am needing to know how to change the colour and the shadow colour of certain text. The text i want changed is while in battle you either choose "Fight, Pokemon, Bag or Run" and then when you choose Fight i need all that text changed too. I have looked in the PokeBattle_ActualScene to see if i could find anything but i cannot. Maybe i am looking in the wrong place :D

Thanks in advanced anyway :D
PokeBattle_ActualScene, lines 1055 & 1056. As far as I can tell at 2am with very little prior experience of the battle system, that's what you need.

I 2nd that :D

Also 1. Could somebody explain how to add a new item into the game please. I have read the notes over and over but im not really understanding it that much :D

New item? Easy.

Add the item in the items.txt PBS file, imitating the other items there and reading the explanation of items.txt (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#pbsitemstxt) to help you put the right numbers in.

Then make sure you have an icon for the item, in Graphics/Icons called "item???.png", where the question marks are a three digit version of the item ID (the first entry field in the item's line in the PBS file). It's important that it's called "item003.png" and not "item3.png".

You should have your item! That wasn't difficult.

Giving your item an effect is a little more complicated, and involves script editing. It also heavily depends on what you want the item to do. A really good idea is that, if your new item is going to be similar to an existing item, then look up exactly how that existing item works (e.g. my "Loca Cola" restores 70HP, so I'd search for where the Potions' effects are defined, and copy-paste as necessary). All the item effects (except held item effects) are in the PokemonItems lot of scripts.

If this is a cutscene (which the original Weedle man thing is), then you could mock up loads of pictures and event the thing.

Two more pages ago...

Having done a little bit of researching, I've discovered that the bug does not occur in the list in the Pokédex. The code here writes the name via "_ISPRINTF" into a string (called "text" here), and then that string is immediately displayed on the screen by "self.contents.draw_text".

However, the bug does occur in, for example, the Pokédex summary screen, where the pokémon's name is put into a variable via "_ISPRINTF" and "textpos.push" (where "textpos" is an array), and goes through "pbDrawTextPositions" before being displayed on the screen by "bitmap.draw_text".

As far as I can make out, the cause of the bug is the storing of a string into an array as opposed to a variable (that's my personal opinion, anyway). The question is, how to fix it?

I really need help with this, as this happens all over the place in the game. It seems to affect any string ending in a lower case "f" that is at some point stored in an array (typically seen in pokémon names, item names, move names, ability names, player's name, etc. etc.).

If the bug was more generalised, I would just assume it couldn't be done. However, the fact that it only affects strings ending with a lower case "f" is highly confusing. Can anyone shed some light on this?
For those who care, I've found a workaround for this bug (not a fix, a workaround).

Since the problem is caused by a string ending with a lower case "f", the workaround is to add a space to the end of it. Yes, easy. Why couldn't anyone else have mentioned that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question, and a rather specialised one.

I'm looking in the Summary page 3 (the one that shows a party pokémon's moves, and I've changed things around a little. One of the things I've changed is the flashing box that goes around the currently selected move - it's currently more like a background panel.

I want to know if and how I can display other pictures/words on top of the selecting box. Specifically, I want to display the move name above it (I know how to do so in principle, I just don't know where in the script to do so such that it is shown above the selecting panel) and also the "I've selected this move already, and am halfway to swapping it with another move" graphic (i.e. the blue selecting box in the original Essentials).

Thus far, all my attempts have resulted in the selecting panel being shown above everything else. I want to display it, then put the move name back on top of it and another graphic on top as well (i.e. the other selecting box).

Any ideas? I hope you're a bit more vocal about this than with my last question.

thepsynergist
August 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I still haven't got my question answered...maybe you can help Maruno.

OK this isn't a large problem, but I want to make an Item that allows you to warp from one place to a specific place.
I have this script and everything works fine, but when the script finishes, i get a text box that says, "Can't use that item here." Its just a cosmetic error, but I want to know how to get rid of it. Thx a bunch. I placed this in PokemonItems tab of script.

if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Do you want to warp to the Rocket Headquarters?"))
$game_map.setup(34)
$game_player.straighten
$game_map.update
$game_map.autoplay
$scene = Scene_Map.new
Graphics.transition(20)
return 2
else
return 2
end

Nyu~♥!
August 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
You're missing a row/column for the QMARKS type. The table needs to be 19x19. QMARKS should be all 2s against everything else both ways.

Thank you! I'll go try that now~~

..and it's still not workin... I think I'm making a stupid mistake. Maybe I should just start over?
Here's what I came to:
class PBTypes
NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18
def PBTypes.getCount
return 18
end
PBTypeChart=[
# 0 - Immune
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# on opponents.
]
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end

Patrick1463
August 15th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Hi!
While I was making my pokemon game, I thought: "I should give the player an arceus, owned by an other person!"
So I found this in the notes:
"Use the function "pbAddForeignPokemon" to add a Pokémon owned by another person."
Sounds easy.
I tried it: (in a conditional branch)
pbAddForeignPokemon(PBSpecies::ARCEUS,100,_I("Pat1463"),_I("ARCEUS"))

But when I testet it, the game gaves me this message:
"Message: Script error within event 2, map 76 (Mart):
Section119:260:in `pbAddForeignPokemon'undefined local variable or method `ownername' for #<Interpreter:0x8f1f360>"

Did I forgot something? :(

Meowth
August 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Okay, so I'm STILL getting this annoying error message, no one ever helped me out.

It's whenever the move FLAMETHROWER is used, which is a custom animation.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

POKéMON Mewtwo Strikes Back

BitmapCache:365:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:390:in `animation'

PBAnimation:541:in `update'

PBAnimation:490:in `update'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2425:in `pbAnimationCore'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2380:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Battle:2360:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Move:581:in `pbEffect'

PokeBattle_Battler:1233:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1472:in `pbUseMove'

OK

http://i32.tinypic.com/34o4sxh.jpghttp://i29.tinypic.com/2zthpvs.png
http://i32.tinypic.com/2nbt0u8.png

And then the game just goes on... For some reason. Can anyone PLEASE help me with this?

Boonzeet
August 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I've no idea if anyone else has encountered this error, but for some reason the Animation Editor doesn't actually save the animations for me, in Windows 7. I've been remaking the same Rock Smash animation for the past 10 minutes.

If anyone has a solution on how I can get the editor to actually SAVE the animations, it's pretty necessary. Else I'll end up switching back to XP.

lx_theo
August 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've no idea if anyone else has encountered this error, but for some reason the Animation Editor doesn't actually save the animations for me, in Windows 7. I've been remaking the same Rock Smash animation for the past 10 minutes.

If anyone has a solution on how I can get the editor to actually SAVE the animations, it's pretty necessary. Else I'll end up switching back to XP.

The only time it save for me is when I make them inside RPG Maker, if that helps.

Maruno
August 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thank you! I'll go try that now~~

..and it's still not workin... I think I'm making a stupid mistake. Maybe I should just start over?
Here's what I came to:
class PBTypes
NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18
def PBTypes.getCount
return 18
end
PBTypeChart=[
# 0 - Immune
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# on opponents.
]
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end
Yeah, I'd just start over if I were you. Something's going weird, and I have no idea what.

Does anyone know how to show the day of the week or month in the game ?
pbIsWeekday(var) is what you need to get the name of today's day. The "var" is which variable the name of the day is saved in. All you need to do then is use one of the various methods of printing a string to the screen, and print out $game_variables[var].

As for month, I'm not sure if the game does those. Try "monthvar=Time.now.month" to get a number (0=January, 1=February, etc.), and print var to the screen to see if it works. If it does, you can easily do a "monthvar=_INTL("January") if monthvar==0"/etc. thing to print off a month name instead (by printing out monthvar, obviously).

I still haven't got my question answered...maybe you can help Maruno.

$game_map.setup(34)
$game_player.straighten
$game_map.update
$game_map.autoplay
$scene = Scene_Map.new
Graphics.transition(20)
return 2
else
return 2
end
Since you asked me specifically, I'm obliged to answer.

My initial answer was going to be "I don't know, which is why I didn't reply earlier". However, I have since looked into it, and think I have a suggestion or two.

My original response was something along the lines of "if I was going to do it, I'd copy the Escape Rope", but then I happened to look up exactly how the Escape Rope worked and eventually figured it out (I only did this because I was obliged to answer, and randomly decided to look things up). Here's my help with your problem:

Copy what the Escape Rope does. Not necessarily the code (you've got your own there) per se, but just the feel of it. The Escape Rope is mentioned twice in the PokemonItems section, the first (under "pbUseItemFromBag") just returns a "2" and the second (under "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField") describes what the item actually does. The "2" is important because it tells the pause menu (see about line 172 in PokemonMenu, where "item" is that number and the script somewhere in PokemonBag says to jump straight there if it's a "2", which is a field effect... but that's just details) that it should then call up the "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField" and do what the Escape Rope says.

So, given your code above, I would say that you put a "return 2" under a bit where the first Escape Rope is mentioned (just so it can return that "2"), and then put your code minus the last few lines in the Kernel part (where it says what it actually does). That should be it, given that your code works normally anyway (so you claim).

My advice when it comes to problems is to be as specific as you can. You said you put your code in PokemonItems, but you didn't say exactly where. Line numbers would likely have been inaccurate, so
say something like "just below the Town Map part of Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(item)" to be absolutely clear. Sometimes that detail helps a lot in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

~JV~
August 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Okay, so I'm STILL getting this annoying error message, no one ever helped me out.

It's whenever the move FLAMETHROWER is used, which is a custom animation.

POKéMON Mewtwo Strikes Back

BitmapCache:365:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:390:in `animation'

PBAnimation:541:in `update'

PBAnimation:490:in `update'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2425:in `pbAnimationCore'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2380:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Battle:2360:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Move:581:in `pbEffect'

PokeBattle_Battler:1233:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1472:in `pbUseMove'

OK

http://i32.tinypic.com/34o4sxh.jpghttp://i29.tinypic.com/2zthpvs.png
http://i32.tinypic.com/2nbt0u8.png

And then the game just goes on... For some reason. Can anyone PLEASE help me with this?

Check out if there is a animation called Move::FLAMETHROWER in your rmxp database, if there is one, it's animation graphic is missing or you set it to none (since the missing graphic name doesnt appear). So just delete that if it exist =p. Thats the only way I can imagine of fixing that...

Poeman
August 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
How can I get the happiness of the pokemon in the first spot and set it to a variable?

Maruno
August 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
How can I get the happiness of the pokemon in the first spot and set it to a variable?
The first spot of what? The first pokémon in your party?

$game_variables[42]=$Trainer.party[0].happiness

That does exactly what you want, and puts the result in variable 42. It's so simple it's almost as if I read it in the (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/advanced.html#pokebattlepokemon) notes (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#modifyingapokemonafteraddingit). Alter the above at your own convenience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question:

I have regions in my game, and I want to calculate how many pokémon I've seen/owned in each region. To this end, I've written this:

def pokedexRegionSeen(region)
regionalSpecies=pbAllRegionalSpecies(region)
ret=0
for i in 1..regionalSpecies.length
ret+=1 if @seen[pbGetNationalNumber(region,i)]
end
return ret
end
The problem with this is that it's very slow. The slowness is due to checking pbGetNationalNumber(region,i), since without it it's fast (and gives the wrong numbers).

Is there any way I can speed this up a bit?

thepsynergist
August 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Since you asked me specifically, I'm obliged to answer.

My initial answer was going to be "I don't know, which is why I didn't reply earlier". However, I have since looked into it, and think I have a suggestion or two.

My original response was something along the lines of "if I was going to do it, I'd copy the Escape Rope", but then I happened to look up exactly how the Escape Rope worked and eventually figured it out (I only did this because I was obliged to answer, and randomly decided to look things up). Here's my help with your problem:

Copy what the Escape Rope does. Not necessarily the code (you've got your own there) per se, but just the feel of it. The Escape Rope is mentioned twice in the PokemonItems section, the first (under "pbUseItemFromBag") just returns a "2" and the second (under "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField") describes what the item actually does. The "2" is important because it tells the pause menu (see about line 172 in PokemonMenu, where "item" is that number and the script somewhere in PokemonBag says to jump straight there if it's a "2", which is a field effect... but that's just details) that it should then call up the "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField" and do what the Escape Rope says.

So, given your code above, I would say that you put a "return 2" under a bit where the first Escape Rope is mentioned (just so it can return that "2"), and then put your code minus the last few lines in the Kernel part (where it says what it actually does). That should be it, given that your code works normally anyway (so you claim).

My advice when it comes to problems is to be as specific as you can. You said you put your code in PokemonItems, but you didn't say exactly where. Line numbers would likely have been inaccurate, so
say something like "just below the Town Map part of Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(item)" to be absolutely clear. Sometimes that detail helps a lot in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Thank you very much Maruno. I will try this out now. Thank you again for your help.

Nyu~♥!
August 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Don't worry about my type problem, guys, I got it fixed.
Though I'm not sure if my pics are working with it. I'll check that out. I don't mind sharing the script with anyone for the LIGHT type...

I searched up "type" here and found this..

So thanks, JV!
Thanks for the help everyone! Later.

Poeman
August 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Maruno;4994071]The first spot of what? The first pokémon in your party?

$game_variables[42]=$Trainer.party[0].happiness

That does exactly what you want, and puts the result in variable 42. It's so simple it's almost as if I read it in the (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/advanced.html#pokebattlepokemon) notes (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#modifyingapokemonafteraddingit). Alter the above at your own convenience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh shoot it was in the notes, sorry for asking :/

~JV~
August 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Ok, I need your help guys, as usual, my questions are a bit more harder to answer =/.
I had to change the StillWater "prioritie" number to 10 instead of 6, however the water isn't reflecting anymore, neither in the new "prioritie" thats's called beach. Can someone help me plz =x?

Quilava's Master
August 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Anyone know how to do common animation for Attract/Curse and weather such as rain

Fraot
August 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ok, I need your help guys, as usual, my questions are a bit more harder to answer =/.
I had to change the StillWater "prioritie" number to 10 instead of 6, however the water isn't reflecting anymore, neither in the new "prioritie" thats's called beach. Can someone help me plz =x?

The priority only reaches 5, not 6 nor 10. I think you mean the terrain tags...

@World
August 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I was just wondering if there is way to check if a Pokemon is the first in a trainers party.
I want to make a pokemon follow you script/event that I'd share, but I need to know how to check a first party slot.

Poeman
August 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
@ World that is in the notes.

Meowth
August 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Check out if there is a animation called Move::FLAMETHROWER in your rmxp database, if there is one, it's animation graphic is missing or you set it to none (since the missing graphic name doesnt appear). So just delete that if it exist =p. Thats the only way I can imagine of fixing that...

Thanks. It was called Move:FLAMETHROWER.

I deleted it, and no longer get the error in-game...but my custom animation still isn't there. What might be the problem?

(EDIT: Checked back in the editor.exe's animation editor, and deleting it from the RMXP DB just made it vanish completely. -sigh-)

@World
August 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
No the notes say: "checks for a Pokémon in the player's party" for pbHasSpecies?, which checks the ENTIRE party, I need just the first slot.
I checked the notes but fail :/

Meowth
August 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I got the flamethrower working... but it seems that making the animation through the anim editor doesn't work correctly.

~JV~
August 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
The priority only reaches 5, not 6 nor 10. I think you mean the terrain tags...

exactly, I want to know what sets in which tag reflection is supposed to show since I have to change to the new "stillwater" one.

Nyu~♥!
August 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Gah... another problem:

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:789:in `command_111'
Interpreter:322:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:100:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
Scene_Map:111:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'
Section092:14:in `pbLoadTrainer'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::RIVAL
***Full script:
pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RICHBOY,"Kian",_I("Well, I still did do a great job raising them.. right?"),false,0)
Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
PokemonTrainers:7:in `each'
PokemonTrainers:7:in `pbLoadTrainer'
PokemonTrainers:387:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:789:in `eval'
Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'
Scene_Map:100:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
Scene_Map:111:in `update'

i get it whenever I start a trainer battle... gah!

Alexandre
August 18th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Off the top of my head, to change the terrain tags for reflections, go to Spriteset_Map and find something that looks a little like this:(terraintag is not the exact variable, I'm just recalling some work I did on PE : O.

If terraintag != 5
bleh
else
bleh
end

Change the 5 to whatever terrain tag. If you want more than one do :
If terraintag != 6 or 7 or 8

Firefly17
August 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I have been creating a game in RPGMXP for a while now, and recently decided to add in DPP moves and abilities. However I keep getting the following error and have no idea what the problem is. Any ideas?

Message: Undefined value PLUCK1 in PBMoves (section 22, key Moves)
Compiler:1717:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:1739:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:2003:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1982:in `each'
Compiler:1982:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1980:in `loop'
Compiler:2054:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1969:in `each'
Compiler:1969:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1968:in `each'

.:Sam:.
August 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I have been creating a game in RPGMXP for a while now, and recently decided to add in DPP moves and abilities. However I keep getting the following error and have no idea what the problem is. Any ideas?

If I am not mistaken, the term 'Undefined value' means it doesn't recognize what you have inputted. Could you post what you have wrote for the move in PB moves please?

~JV~
August 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Off the top of my head, to change the terrain tags for reflections, go to Spriteset_Map and find something that looks a little like this:(terraintag is not the exact variable, I'm just recalling some work I did on PE : O.

If terraintag != 5
bleh
else
bleh
end

Change the 5 to whatever terrain tag. If you want more than one do :
If terraintag != 6 or 7 or 8

Thx, I was with problems on locating it ;p.

Firefly17
August 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Thats the problem. I thought that PBMoves was one of those automatically generated scripts and am unable to find it.

The only thing I can think of is something wrong with the move "Pluck", in moves.txt, yet I failed to have found any problem with it.

This is what I have on moves.txt:
365,PLUCK,PLUCK,E0,60,FLYING,Physical,100,20,0,00,0,abef,Cute,"The user pecks the foe. If the foe is holding a Berry, the user plucks it and gains its effect."

?Alistair?
August 18th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I recently updated my version of essentials to the most recent one (to fix an error), the game runs fine except that the font is all screwy. I don't know how to fix it so that is the normal fonts.

Maruno
August 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I was just wondering if there is way to check if a Pokemon is the first in a trainers party.
I want to make a pokemon follow you script/event that I'd share, but I need to know how to check a first party slot.
if $trainer.party[0].species==PBSpecies::RATTATA

...Or something to that effect.

Thanks. It was called Move:FLAMETHROWER.

I deleted it, and no longer get the error in-game...but my custom animation still isn't there. What might be the problem?

(EDIT: Checked back in the editor.exe's animation editor, and deleting it from the RMXP DB just made it vanish completely. -sigh-)
How many colons should there be between "Move" and the move's name? You have one there, and ~JV~ mentioned two. I don't know if there's a typo involved, but that's what I noticed.

Message: Undefined value PLUCK1 in PBMoves (section 22, key Moves)
Compiler:1717:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:1739:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:2003:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1982:in `each'
Compiler:1982:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1980:in `loop'
Compiler:2054:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1969:in `each'
Compiler:1969:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:1968:in `each'
"PLUCK1"? Doesn't look like "PLUCK" to me.

Wherever you've been using PLUCK1, change it to match what's in the moves.txt (i.e. PLUCK).

Umbreon
August 18th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have a problem with this.
I put down grass saved tested it I have a pokemon and I walk on the grass for five minutes and I don't find any wild pokemon. How can I fix that? (Yes I used the medium length grass.)

lx_theo
August 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have a problem with this.
I put down grass saved tested it I have a pokemon and I walk on the grass for five minutes and I don't find any wild pokemon. How can I fix that? (Yes I used the medium length grass.)

Did you set encounters for the map?

@World
August 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Maruno the script returns a syntax error. I tried to edit it without any success. I believe it's not possible.

delyemerald2
August 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've some big problems.
When I press a key to open the menu, I get this weird error:

Message: undefined method `trainer' for #<PokeBattle_Trainer:0x51d1168>
PokemonMenu:118:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Scene_Map:183:in `call_menu'
Scene_Map:157:in `update'
Scene_Map:64:in `loop'
Scene_Map:71:in `main'
Main:56:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:31:in `mainFunction'
Main:31:in `pbCriticalCode'
Main:31:in `mainFunction'

I don't know WTH is going so can someone please help me out?

Umbreon
August 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
How do I set the encounters for the map?

lx_theo
August 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM
How do I set the encounters for the map?

The easiest way is in the Editor.exe file

venom12
August 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hey, where i can find code for this like pokemon graphics in summary screen i mean line like Graphics/Battlers/ and here where i can find this?

Umbreon
August 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Encounters still don't work. I am using the medium grass.
Am I supposed to use the land for encounters on the grass?
Never mind I figured it out.

Firefly17
August 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I figured my problem out. The naming error was present within the Pokemon file rather than moves for some reason.

~JV~
August 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I want to set up more than one location for one map in the region map, any good ideas ;p?

Maruno
August 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Maruno the script returns a syntax error. I tried to edit it without any success. I believe it's not possible.
OF course it's possible. It's easy.

Since there's a syntax error, it's most likely in the second half (after the double equals). Just put "RATTATA" on the right, and see if that works. Also, try getting rid of the "if" part, see if that works.

As for putting into use, it'd help if I knew what you wanted to do. I presume you're talking to someone and they say something different depending on whether a particular pokémon is at the lead of your party. For this, put a conditional branch in the NPC's event, go to page 4 and select the "script" bit and paste in what I said (with suitable corrections).

I want to set up more than one location for one map in the region map, any good ideas ;p?
How do you mean? Do you want multiple points of interest ("Oak's Lab", "My house", etc.? Although why "My house" would be on a tourist map I don't know...)

Or do you want to make a big town that covers 2/3/4 squares in the Region Map and have each one link to the same overworld map (i.e. Fly to the same place regardless of which square you click on)? All you'd need to do is set it up as normal for one of the squares, then do the same for the rest of them. Technically speaking, on the Region Map they'd be considered 4 different places, just right next to each other and with the same name and on the same map. Use "townmapgen" for best results.

Alexandre
August 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM

if $Trainer.party[0].species == (rattata's pokedex numer)

It's as easy as that ;)

poonipoonz
August 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
How do you add your own fake pokemon into this? Sorry if it's a noobish question, but I've just recently started learning about scripting.

Soul.//Silver
August 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I've been trying to change Dive to Whirlpool but I keep getting a Syntax error at line 2495.
Pokemon Pure Gold
Script 'PokemonField' line 2495: SyntaxError occurred.
OK

And the script is attached below, its PokemonField btw.

@World
August 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Nope both Fail, after playing around I checked the error log and it seems that in most cases it returns that party is an unidentified method.
As for the use the I want to make that HG/SS poke follow you thing . So far I have a prototype as a common event that checks if a trainer has the pokemon in his party and changes the graphics of an dependent event accordingly, but I order for it to work I need to check only the first party slot.
I think I should just drop it. maybe someone else will figure out an better way to make this work, as I can't as it seems.

victorspvl
August 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
How I do a double wild Pokémon batle?? For one Pokémon I use this code:pbWildBattle(
::PBSpecies::ARON,5), but for 2 Pokémon?? I need much this!

rm2kdude
August 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I tried using the resolution script that came with this but it did not change my game's window, what are the scripts to the resolution? And is this compatible with
f0tz!baerchen's pixel movement script? I'm almost done with my Sword of Mana battle system. Just need the resolution to continue other scripts like messages, menus etc.

ShinyMeganium
August 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Guys, I tried using the kit, it's awesome. I have a few questions.

First, I tried doing an event of a Pikachu following you in case I want to do a multi-regional game based on Anime. Or at least something Anime based or w/e. Anyways, I did that:
branch (some command checking if Pikachu is in 1st slot)
Pikachu following with the player following thing, just without the additional battling trainer command
else
;
Sorry for the messed explanation.

Anyways, questions about this thing:
1. If I talk to "Pikachu", he asks me if I want him to leave. And he won't even when I press yes. Anywho, I don't want him to ask that, how do I cancel that?
2. What command can I do to check if he's in the party overall, not specifically in first slot?
3. How can I make him disappear if he's not in party?

And now, to another thing:
4. Is there any copyright problem if you use maps from the games, or ideas from the plot for a free game like that? o:
Well, people always remake, so I guess not, but who cares. Still asking.

EDIT:
Forget the whole thing above except for question 4, which i'm still looking for an answer about. Please somebody answer: how can I make, say, a poster in PokeCenter or wherever, that'll ask me if I want Pikachu to follow me, only in case he's in my party (not necessarily 1st slot) yes/no, and if I say yes, he'll appear. Then if I want to get rid of it i'll talk to the Pikachu and tell him yes, and if I want him to reappear i'll go to PokeCenter or the first event again.
Some help please?
And question 4 again~

Patrick1463
August 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
I've a little question and I need help. :(
Sometimes in my game, I had to use the function: $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack="XXX"
It works very well.
But when I use this, all battles after this script have the same background!
How can I make them like before I used this script?
So, that everything is normal again...

(I hope my english isnt that bad...)

partyghoul2000
August 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
ok, i have a question. besides the basic menu, i'd like to add two different variations for different maps/areas. kinda like the safari zone & bug catching contest. i looked at the script under PokemonMenu and i couldn't really make any sense of it. i wanna control the variation of the menu by switches, can anybody help?

Maruno
August 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
ok, i have a question. besides the basic menu, i'd like to add two different variations for different maps/areas. kinda like the safari zone & bug catching contest. i looked at the script under PokemonMenu and i couldn't really make any sense of it. i wanna control the variation of the menu by switches, can anybody help?
Since you mention the Safari Zone/Bug Catching Contest, take a look at how they're handled. When you're in either the Safari Zone or the Bug Catching Contest, it replaces the "Save" command with "Quit" (as in, leave the Safari Zone/Contest).

Also, when in the Safari Zone, a window pops up showing you the number of steps taken and the number of Safari Balls you have left. When in the Contest, that window shows how many Park Balls you have plus the last Pokémon that you caught's name/level.

Below is the part of the code that does this.

Why is "Save" replaced during a Safari game or a Contest? Because the official games do it, I suppose (and it also reduces cheating and was probably impossible to record information during these things anyway). I'm sure you could edit it to be able to save during a Safari game/Contest, but that'd be a lot of hassle and it's probably not worth it anyway.

if pbInSafari?
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("STEPS: {1}/600\nBALLS: {2}",pbSafariState.steps,pbSafariState.ballcount))
commands[cmdQuit=commands.length]=_INTL("QUIT")
elsif pbInBugContest?
if pbBugContestState.lastPokemon
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("CAUGHT: {1}\nLEVEL: {2}\nBALLS: {3}",
PBSpecies.getName(pbBugContestState.lastPokemon.species),
pbBugContestState.lastPokemon.level,
pbBugContestState.ballcount))
else
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("CAUGHT: None\nBALLS: {1}",pbBugContestState.ballcount))
end
else
commands[cmdSave=commands.length]=_INTL("SAVE") if !$game_system || !$game_system.save_disabled
end
I coloured in a few things to make it more distinctive. The red commands decide whether you're in a Safari game or a Contest or just out being a trainer, the green commands decide if you've already caught a Pokémon in the Contest or not, and the things that are shown on screen are in purple.

Now, I don't know exactly what you want to do (i.e. how you want to change the menu depending on whatever), because that would be too easy. All I can say is that you can do something similar to the above, but replace the "if pbInSafari?" line with "if $game_map[42] || $game_map[99]" or something similar. This line will mean the menu is changed only if you're on either map 42 or map 99. You could also use a switch here ("if $game_switches[42]"), but then you'd have to faff around making sure it gets switched on and off at the right times (including during Fly/Teleport/Escape Rope/Dig out of the area), which is rather more tedious.

And by "replace" I mean copy-paste the quoted code above and modify to your own liking. Don't replace the existing code if you still want a Safari Zone/Bug Catching Contest in your game (and even if you don't you might as well just leave it alone, because it's not doing any harm).

rm2kdude
August 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I tried using the resolution script that came with this but it did not change my game's window, what are the scripts to the resolution? And is this compatible with
f0tz!baerchen's pixel movement script? I'm almost done with my Sword of Mana battle system. Just need the resolution to continue other scripts like messages, menus etc.

Totally ignored, can I just get the script names to copy? is it that hard?

ForeverRed
August 23rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
I've got a problem with my tall grass, it looks like you walk on it... Not through it.

ShinyMeganium
August 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Ignore my previous posts, I got some new ones.

1. How can I print a Pokemon's name/nickname in message box or something? Preferably the 1st Pokemon's name (in party). And remember it can evolve and be nicknamed so I can't use a variable to memorize his 1st given name.
2. How can I forbid a Pokemon from being put in the PC if it's possible?
3. How can I edit a caught Pokemon's data? Like, the player raised his XXYY to 80 and evolved it, though I want it to become 36 again etc.
4. Is it possible to make 2 systems of PC or more? Like, in 1 city i'll access 50 Pokemons, in another i'll access another 50 or so. Or w/e...

I can handle without the possibilities to use the answers for all those questions, but it'll really help me if they'll be solved.

V0RT3X
August 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
this is really helpfull,
i'm a starter at programming in RPG maker XP, but i already know how to program in visual basics and in blueJ (Java - code).
So you can say i'm not a complete noob at programming, but the problem i always got is the start. Now with you're starterkit i don't got that problem.
Atm, i'm making a new tileset ( D-P tiles from kyledove and some from saurav, i edit a few of them for matching the colors).

Soul.//Silver
August 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
I've been trying to change Dive to Whirlpool but I keep getting a Syntax error at line 2495.
Pokemon Pure Gold
Script 'PokemonField' line 2495: SyntaxError occurred.
OK

And the script is attached below, its PokemonField btw.

Still waiting for someone to resolve my issue.

@World
August 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
I've got a problem with my tall grass, it looks like you walk on it... Not through it.

Go to Tools >Database>Tileset and set Bush flag for your grass tiles.

Maruno
August 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Ignore my previous posts, I got some new ones.

1. How can I print a Pokemon's name/nickname in message box or something? Preferably the 1st Pokemon's name (in party). And remember it can evolve and be nicknamed so I can't use a variable to memorize his 1st given name.
2. How can I forbid a Pokemon from being put in the PC if it's possible?
3. How can I edit a caught Pokemon's data? Like, the player raised his XXYY to 80 and evolved it, though I want it to become 36 again etc.
4. Is it possible to make 2 systems of PC or more? Like, in 1 city i'll access 50 Pokemons, in another i'll access another 50 or so. Or w/e...

I can handle without the possibilities to use the answers for all those questions, but it'll really help me if they'll be solved.
1. Everything about a pokémon is stored somewhere in the game as data. For your party pokémon, the information is in $trainer.party[x], where x is the position of it in your party (zero-based, meaning your lead pokémon is number 0, the second one that gets used in double battles is 1, and so forth).

For a pokémon's name, look at $trainer.party[0].name. That's a string that contains your lead pokémon's nickname or, if it doesn't have a nickname, its default (i.e. species) name.

All you need to do then is put that into a message. I'm not quite sure how to do that, but it shouldn't be too difficult (if you use pbShowText or whatever it's called).

2. Create a new bit of information for a pokémon (e.g. "canstore", as in pokemon.canstore). This will be null or 0 by default, but in special cases you can set it to 1. Then find the "Deposit Pokémon" script and include an extra check to say "return false if pokemon.canstore" or something similar. This (plus an announcement message to say why) will automatically reject any pokémon you've designated can't be stored on a PC.

It's certainly possible, but it may challenge you if you're not too sure about scripting. Have a look at other examples, such as how the game disallows you to deposit your only remaining pokémon (it'll check $trainer.party.length, I think, and say no if it's 1 or less, along with a message to say you can't deposit your last pokémon) - this should be in the same place in the scripts you need to add your own check on the "canstore" variable.

3. If you mean Level, that's easy enough, depending on what you want to do (e.g. lower the level of all pokémon of species x that evolved immediately (easy), lower the level of a particular (e.g. starter) pokémon (harder)). If you want to change a stat (e.g. Atk or Spd), that's rather more difficult, since the game refers to a table to recalculate the stats at each level up, and those tables are for a species as a whole.

The lowering level thing can be put into the evolution screen. Just after the message saying "Your Squirtle evolved into Wartortle!", put in something like "pokemon.level-=10" to lower that pokémon's level by 10, or "pokemon.level=13" to set it to 13. You can expand on this by checking the pokémon that just evolved's species, and changing the level as appropriate.

You'd probably need to change the amount of experience it has as well, so that it doesn't shoot straight back up to level 18 or whatever when it next "levels up" (i.e. recalculates its level/stats). You'll need to get your calculator out to decide how much exp to detract from each pokémon.

As I said, without knowing more precisely what you want to do, it's hard to offer advice on this question. Most likely it'll involve some in-depth scripting.

4. Yes, but again, it'll require some in-depth changes to the scripts. I don't know exactly how the PC pokémon are stored (i.e. under what object name), but "all" you'd need to do is create another object that works the same but is named slightly differently, and in each instace of all the scripts referring to the PC object, change it to refer to one of your PC objects depending on whatever (perhaps a game variable that you set each time you interact with a PC depending on your location).

Quite in-depth, but certainly technically possible.

ShinyMeganium
August 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Kay, you really helped me, thanks. I also got a few "shortcuts" for the whole mess I did there.

Anyways, I forgot how to check what the 1st Pokemon in the party, let's say, is at all .-.
God my brain does bad lately.

Alexandre
August 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM
To display a Pokemon's name in the text box: (put this in the event command for showing text)

Oh wow, you have a #{$Trainer.party[0].name.to_s}!
Quick run through the code:
#{x} - this is Ruby's way of displaying a variable or a method's return in a string of text.
.to_s - this method converts a variable to a string. This is not always necessary, and the code may work with out it, but it is better to put it there incase.

ShinyMeganium
August 25th, 2009, 05:43 AM
To display a Pokemon's name in the text box: (put this in the event command for showing text)

Oh wow, you have a #{$Trainer.party[0].name.to_s}!
Quick run through the code:
#{x} - this is Ruby's way of displaying a variable or a method's return in a string of text.
.to_s - this method converts a variable to a string. This is not always necessary, and the code may work with out it, but it is better to put it there incase.
My meaning was, how can I make a conditional branch, that does this:
if(1st pokemon=="CHARIZARD" (or #6))
*Writes something*
else
*Writes something else*

I knew how to do it a few days ago, but I forgot and for some reason some of my edited maps were deleted .-.

nmorr
August 25th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I have two trainers with the same name and type. The ID for the 2nd trainer is 1,
How do I put the 2nd trainer in battle? PLEASE HELP!!

Wichu
August 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
My meaning was, how can I make a conditional branch, that does this:
if(1st pokemon=="CHARIZARD" (or #6))
*Writes something*
else
*Writes something else*

I knew how to do it a few days ago, but I forgot and for some reason some of my edited maps were deleted .-.

The trainer's Pokemon are stored in the $Trainer.party array. For example, you could use:
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].species==PBSpecies::CHARIZARD
You don't need the 'if' in a Conditional Branch command ;)

ShinyMeganium
August 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
The trainer's Pokemon are stored in the $Trainer.party array. For example, you could use:
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].species==PBSpecies::CHARIZARD
You don't need the 'if' in a Conditional Branch command ;)
That was just my way to express the branch, cause I program in some other languages and it goes that way there...
Anyways, thanks a lot.

Pier
August 26th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Still waiting for someone to resolve my issue.
Try putting an additional "end" between lines 2482 and 2483.

2478 facingEvent=$game_player.pbFacingEvent
2479 if facingEvent
2480 if facingEvent.name=="Whirlpool"
2481 Kernel.pbWhirlpool
2482 return
2483 end
In lines 2479 AND 2480 it says "if", but there is only one "end".
So try this:

2479 if facingEvent
2481 Kernel.pbWhirlpool
2482 return
2483 end
2484 end
Hope this solves your problem.

help-14
August 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Can I make text speed faster ?

Hardy Har Har
August 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hello, everyone.
I attempted a dual screen script and I ended up with this:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh26/jaqthemouse/error-1.png
What I did is add a few lines of scripting, then changing the resolution. Any ideas to fix this?

Alexandre
August 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hello, everyone.
I attempted a dual screen script and I ended up with this:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh26/jaqthemouse/error-1.png
What I did is add a few lines of scripting, then changing the resolution. Any ideas to fix this?
I don't think you'll be getting any help mate, people who have achieved the dual screen in RMCP probably won't want to share any secrets. But just to aid you, pbTextBottom (or I think its called that) may set you on track ;)

Hardy Har Har
August 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I don't think you'll be getting any help mate, people who have achieved the dual screen in RMCP probably won't want to share any secrets. But just to aid you, pbTextBottom (or I think its called that) may set you on track ;)
pbTextBottom? Never heard of it before, but is it in SpriteWindow?

Alexandre
August 26th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Its a method that sets the location of a command box/text box. I can't remember if that is it's name. The bottom text box in the intro is affected by this method ;)

Soul.//Silver
August 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Try putting an additional "end" between lines 2482 and 2483.

2479 if facingEvent
2481 Kernel.pbWhirlpool
2482 return
2483 end
In lines 2479 AND 2480 it says "if", but there is only one "end".
So try this:

2479 if facingEvent
2481 Kernel.pbWhirlpool
2482 return
2483 end
2484 end
Hope this solves your problem.

Thanks, it worked. Now to test and finish the Whirlpool script lol

Hardy Har Har
August 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Its a method that sets the location of a command box/text box. I can't remember if that is it's name. The bottom text box in the intro is affected by this method ;)
Let me guess. You mean, PokemonMessages? Or is it Game_System? It's a little confusing sometimes. *rings the gong and hurts self in confusion*

Soul.//Silver
August 27th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Ok, the Whirlpool is working, but there is one problem. It won't erase with pbEraseThisEvent
Here is what I have

@>Conditional Branch: Script: Kernel.pbWhirlpool
@>Script: pbEraseThisEvent
@>
: Else
@>
: Branch End
@>

After it asks me if I want to use Whirlpool, it goes through the usual, like what happens with Cut and Rocksmash e.g Do you want to use Whirlpool? Yes/No. ??? used Whirlpool.
Then it just won't erase.
The modified PokemonField script is below for reference.

Pier
August 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Ok, the Whirlpool is working, but there is one problem. It won't erase with pbEraseThisEvent
Here is what I have

@>Conditional Branch: Script: Kernel.pbWhirlpool
@>
@>
@>

After it asks me if I want to use Whirlpool, it goes through the usual, like what happens with Cut and Rocksmash e.g Do you want to use Whirlpool? Yes/No. ??? used Whirlpool.
Then it just won't erase.
The modified PokemonField script is below for reference.

The whirlpool you used, have you added the whirlpool tile to the event or directly placed on your map.
Make a sea in your map and add the tile of the whirlpool to your event. That way, the whirlpool tile will be removed too.

partyghoul2000
August 27th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Since you mention the Safari Zone/Bug Catching Contest, take a look at how they're handled. When you're in either the Safari Zone or the Bug Catching Contest, it replaces the "Save" command with "Quit" (as in, leave the Safari Zone/Contest).

Also, when in the Safari Zone, a window pops up showing you the number of steps taken and the number of Safari Balls you have left. When in the Contest, that window shows how many Park Balls you have plus the last Pokémon that you caught's name/level.

Below is the part of the code that does this.

Why is "Save" replaced during a Safari game or a Contest? Because the official games do it, I suppose (and it also reduces cheating and was probably impossible to record information during these things anyway). I'm sure you could edit it to be able to save during a Safari game/Contest, but that'd be a lot of hassle and it's probably not worth it anyway.

if pbInSafari?
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("STEPS: {1}/600\nBALLS: {2}",pbSafariState.steps,pbSafariState.ballcount))
elsif pbInBugContest?
else
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("CAUGHT: None\nBALLS: {1}",pbBugContestState.ballcount))
end
else
commands[cmdSave=commands.length]=_INTL("SAVE") if !$game_system || !$game_system.save_disabled
end
I coloured in a few things to make it more distinctive. The red commands decide whether you're in a Safari game or a Contest or just out being a trainer, the green commands decide if you've already caught a Pokémon in the Contest or not, and the things that are shown on screen are in purple.

Now, I don't know exactly what you want to do (i.e. how you want to change the menu depending on whatever), because that would be too easy. All I can say is that you can do something similar to the above, but replace the "if pbInSafari?" line with "if $game_map[42] || $game_map[99]" or something similar. This line will mean the menu is changed only if you're on either map 42 or map 99. You could also use a switch here ("if $game_switches[42]"), but then you'd have to faff around making sure it gets switched on and off at the right times (including during Fly/Teleport/Escape Rope/Dig out of the area), which is rather more tedious.

And by "replace" I mean copy-paste the quoted code above and modify to your own liking. Don't replace the existing code if you still want a Safari Zone/Bug Catching Contest in your game (and even if you don't you might as well just leave it alone, because it's not doing any harm).

i somewhat understand but i think i might have said it wrong. im looking to add two more sets of menus like safari/bug catching but with alot less. one menu, i just want to show the player name, a quit function like safari zone that takes place of the save, options and exit. and the other menu varation i want to just show save, options and exit. how do i block out the rest of the options? where exactly would i place the $game_switches in the menu script?

Soul.//Silver
August 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
The whirlpool you used, have you added the whirlpool tile to the event or directly placed on your map.
Make a sea in your map and add the tile of the whirlpool to your event. That way, the whirlpool tile will be removed too.

I have added the graphic and done everything that you do for like Cut or Rocksmash. Including the Action trigger and the Graphic, and naming the event "Whirlpool"
(without the "). It still won't work.

Fraot
August 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Well, I need to know something:
I have looked for this and didn't find any results... is there any way to make a fishing animation for each protagonist? Also, is it possible to make a bike animation for both characters?
I'm focusing more on scripting now but those issues will give me a headache on the future...

Wichu
August 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I have added the graphic and done everything that you do for like Cut or Rocksmash. Including the Action trigger and the Graphic, and naming the event "Whirlpool"
(without the "). It still won't work.
Maybe there's a problem with your pbWhirlpool method... Make sure that it returns 'true' after completion.

Soul.//Silver
August 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well this is what I have for pbWhirlpool.

def Kernel.pbWhirlpool
if $DEBUG || $Trainer.badges[BADGEFORWHIRLPOOL]
movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(PBMoves::WHIRLPOOL)
if $DEBUG || movefinder
if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Would you like to use Whirlpool?"))
speciesname=!movefinder ? PBSpecies.getName(0) : movefinder.name
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used Whirlpool!",speciesname))
pbHiddenMoveAnimation(movefinder)
return true
end
else
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("It's a powerful whirlpool. A Pokémon may be able to get past it."))
end
else
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("It's a powerful whirlpool. A Pokémon may be able to get past it."))
end
return false
end

I assume you mean "return true"? I'm not much of a scripter, so...all I could do was look at what was done with Rocksmash (excluding the Random Encounter) and replaced Dive.

Maruno
August 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
i somewhat understand but i think i might have said it wrong. im looking to add two more sets of menus like safari/bug catching but with alot less. one menu, i just want to show the player name, a quit function like safari zone that takes place of the save, options and exit. and the other menu varation i want to just show save, options and exit. how do i block out the rest of the options? where exactly would i place the $game_switches in the menu script?
You mean that replace the pause menu (that usually contains the Pokédex, party, trainer card, bag, etc. options) entirely with either trainer card/leave safari/options/exit (4 options) or save/options/exit (3 options)? That is, rather than just replace the "save" with a "quit"/info box on left while leaving the rest of the options intact.

This is certainly possible. If you look at the coloured-in script above, have a look to see how the "if" statement works. It starts with "if something" and end with "end" - anything in between those two happens only if that "if" statement is true.

Lines 114 to 137 in PokemonMenu is the following:

commands[cmdPokedex=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéDEX") if $Trainer.pokedex
commands[cmdPokemon=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéMON") if $Trainer.party.length>0
commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG") if !pbInBugContest?
commands[cmdPokegear=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéGEAR") if $Trainer.pokegear
commands[cmdTrainer=commands.length]=$Trainer.name
if pbInSafari?
elsif pbInBugContest?
else
end
else
end
commands[cmdOption=commands.length]=_INTL("OPTION")
commands[cmdDebug=commands.length]=_INTL("DEBUG") if $DEBUG
commands[commands.length]=_INTL("EXIT")
Again, coloured in a bit. What you need to do is take the idea of having an "if" section and put it around all of this, like so:

if pbInSafari?
elsif pbInBugContest?
else
commands[cmdPokemon=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéMON") if $Trainer.party.length>0
commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG")
end
As far as I can tell, that's what you want. The first lot (trainer card/quit/options/exit) is displayed if you're in a Safari game (i.e. if pbInSafari? is true). The second lot (save/option/exit0 is displayed if you're in a Bug Catching Contest (i.e. if pbInBugContest? is true). If you're not in either of these, then the regular menu is shown.

I put the Debug options in each of them because it's always handy, just in case you need them. They won't be shown when you're just playing the game; they're to help you when you're designing the game and sorting things out.

Well, I need to know something:
I have looked for this and didn't find any results... is there any way to make a fishing animation for each protagonist? Also, is it possible to make a bike animation for both characters?
I'm focusing more on scripting now but those issues will give me a headache on the future...
Certainly. Fishing involves editing the "fishing000.png", "fishing001.png", etc. pictures in Graphics/Characters. For cycling, you'll need to edit/create the picture files you've associated with each protagonist in the metadata.txt file (by default onbike.png for both protagonists, but you'll want to change this because each protagonist will look different).

The fishing is a little more complex if you want to make it work properly (which you will do, obviously). At the moment it plays the same animation regardless of which direction you're facing, so you'll need to edit the script (PokemonField, defs starting at lines 1256 and 1271) to check which direction the player is facing, and use certain sprites from the files depending on that direction. Since fishing uses 5 separate sprites, you can't fit them all into a single sprite sheet (4x4=16 sprites), so you'll need to modify the script to allow the use of at least two sprite sheets per protagonist, and use one or the other depending on the direction they're facing at the time.

A relatively minor fix, but tricky to get your head around.

Fraot
August 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM
The fishing is a little more complex if you want to make it work properly (which you will do, obviously). At the moment it plays the same animation regardless of which direction you're facing, so you'll need to edit the script (PokemonField, defs starting at lines 1256 and 1271) to check which direction the player is facing, and use certain sprites from the files depending on that direction. Since fishing uses 5 separate sprites, you can't fit them all into a single sprite sheet (4x4=16 sprites), so you'll need to modify the script to allow the use of at least two sprite sheets per protagonist, and use one or the other depending on the direction they're facing at the time.

A relatively minor fix, but tricky to get your head around.

Well, I'll look for it, thanks Maruno. Sounds easy for me, but I don't know how to edit the array of the sprites for fishing. I'll ask help again if i need it. Thank you!

ultron90
August 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
can someone help me with this? i was trying to search in the pokedex and that error popped.... i didnt edit the dex yet...
Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `dexdata' for #<PokemonPokedexScene:0x8a0ae70>
PokemonPokedex:436:in `pbSearchDexList'
PokemonPokedex:435:in `find_all'
PokemonPokedex:435:in `each'
PokemonPokedex:435:in `find_all'
PokemonPokedex:435:in `pbSearchDexList'
PokemonPokedex:745:in `pbDexSearch'
PokemonPokedex:716:in `loop'
PokemonPokedex:771:in `pbDexSearch'
PokemonPokedex:833:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:810:in `loop'

coganaut
August 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone.
I searched for this answer but didnt see exactly what I was looking for so i apologise ahead of time if it has already been asked.

But I am working on my title screen and I am using a gif image. When I start the game the image looks fine but it has been sped up. Is there a way I can slow this down?

Moriean
August 30th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I think slowing your Gif image down is the fastest/easiest way. Just change the gif's speed until you like it.

venom12
August 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Hey, someone have idea how i can make 2 frames of pokemons? Like in Pokemon Diamond or Pearl?

coganaut
August 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think slowing your Gif image down is the fastest/easiest way. Just change the gif's speed until you like it.

Thanks for the suggestion. My problem was that I had all the tweening set to no delay on my gif.

Pitaelitmaster
August 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
How do you make so that the rival appears? Like when you enter a new city the rival will come up to you and battle you?

partyghoul2000
August 30th, 2009, 09:35 AM
You mean that replace the pause menu (that usually contains the Pokédex, party, trainer card, bag, etc. options) entirely with either trainer card/leave safari/options/exit (4 options) or save/options/exit (3 options)? That is, rather than just replace the "save" with a "quit"/info box on left while leaving the rest of the options intact.

This is certainly possible. If you look at the coloured-in script above, have a look to see how the "if" statement works. It starts with "if something" and end with "end" - anything in between those two happens only if that "if" statement is true.

Lines 114 to 137 in PokemonMenu is the following:

commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG") if !pbInBugContest?
if pbInSafari?
elsif pbInBugContest?
else
end
else
end
Again, coloured in a bit. What you need to do is take the idea of having an "if" section and put it around all of this, like so:

if pbInSafari?
elsif pbInBugContest?
else
commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG")
end
As far as I can tell, that's what you want. The first lot (trainer card/quit/options/exit) is displayed if you're in a Safari game (i.e. if pbInSafari? is true). The second lot (save/option/exit0 is displayed if you're in a Bug Catching Contest (i.e. if pbInBugContest? is true). If you're not in either of these, then the regular menu is shown.

I put the Debug options in each of them because it's always handy, just in case you need them. They won't be shown when you're just playing the game; they're to help you when you're designing the game and sorting things out.

thank you, thank you. this works perfectly. :D

darthvagabond100
August 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
hey... i just had a simple ques... how do yo make the pokedext list numbers like
001 bulbasaur or... 001 bulbasaur
002 ivysaur 002 ivysaur
002.1 ivysay d. 002a ivysay d.
003 venasaur 003 venasaur

I would appreciate the help

PokemonOI
August 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
What script do I edit to change the look of the Trainer card?

Fraot
August 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
What script do I edit to change the look of the Trainer card?

Ahem!... "PokemonTrainerCard", I think it's the name of the script... it's obvious PokemonOI. It's below of the pokebattle scripts.

coganaut
August 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I have a question about eggs
I want to make the pokemon in the egg to be random. for example when you start out you choose a egg (fire egg, grass egg, or water egg) then once that egg hatches you get one of the random starters depending on the egg you chose.

Would the script be:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length>=6
@>Text: You have no room to store the Egg...
@>
@>Script: Kernel.pbGenerateEgg(
: : PBSpecies::TOTODILE,5
: : PBSpecies::SQUIRTLE,5
: : PBSpecies::MUDKIP,5
: : PBSpecies:: PIPLUP,5
: : )
@>Text: Received a Pokémon Egg.
@>
@>

Or would I need to add something else?

Ruby_Norman
August 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I have a question about text speed
I want to make text speed and running speed faster, but I don't know how to edit in Starter Kit

Alexandre
August 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
I have a question about eggs
I want to make the pokemon in the egg to be random. for example when you start out you choose a egg (fire egg, grass egg, or water egg) then once that egg hatches you get one of the random starters depending on the egg you chose.

Would the script be:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length>=6
@>Text: You have no room to store the Egg...
@>
@>Script: Kernel.pbGenerateEgg(
: : PBSpecies::TOTODILE,5
: : PBSpecies::SQUIRTLE,5
: : PBSpecies::MUDKIP,5
: : PBSpecies:: PIPLUP,5
: : )
@>Text: Received a Pokémon Egg.
@>
@>

Or would I need to add something else?
Easy, set a variable (e.g startegg) as a random number from 1-4.
Then you do if startegg = 1
generate totodile
else if startegg = 2
generate piplup

etc :)

andrejones
August 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I already have my own pokemon custom game but i cant figure out hoe to replace files to make it an online game im a bit confused??

Soul.//Silver
August 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Well this is what I have for pbWhirlpool.

def Kernel.pbWhirlpool
if $DEBUG || movefinder
return true
end
else
end
else
end
return false
end

I assume you mean "return true"? I'm not much of a scripter, so...all I could do was look at what was done with Rocksmash (excluding the Random Encounter) and replaced Dive.

Still waiting for help with my Whirlpool script.

rohaan66
August 31st, 2009, 10:57 PM
I need Help Please i dont know how to change where you start on the game plz help

RocketAdmin.
September 1st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hi i'm Jake and i'm new to RPG Maker XP & Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit and have no experience whatsoever.
I was just wondering if anyone could teach me the basics of scripting.
I have made a town but need to learn how to trigger HM's and Trainer Battles.

Thanks for reading, and please; don't reply calling me a 'dumbass'

Alexandre
September 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
I already have my own pokemon custom game but i cant figure out hoe to replace files to make it an online game im a bit confused??
I believe you are trying to use my Pokemon Essentials : Online extension. Please post it in that thread (click on the support bar in my sig) and ask the question in detail there.

thepsynergist
September 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hi i'm Jake and i'm new to RPG Maker XP & Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit and have no experience whatsoever.

Go to www.rmxp.org and google "ruby scripting language". Maybe take a computer programming class if your old enough to take a class at your local junior college. Other than that, just look around, I'm sure you can find something that will help you.

Soul.//Silver
September 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM

Triggering HM's and making Trainer battles is in Notes.html, along with just about everything else you need.

Pitaelitmaster
September 2nd, 2009, 01:56 AM
Does somebody have a Rival battle script? Like for example if you walk in to a new town what are the scripts for the Rival to show up and battle you?

Sorry if i can´t explain it better.

Wichu
September 2nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Use a Player Touch event, and place it on all the tiles you want the event to trigger on. You should know the trainer battle scripts by now.

Pitaelitmaster
September 2nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
Use a Player Touch event, and place it on all the tiles you want the event to trigger on. You should know the trainer battle scripts by now.

Thanks for the help! Im going to try it now. :D

Wichu
September 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Also, make the rival event separate from the Player Touch ones, which should be invisible. Use a Move Route command to move the rival event towards you.

Finally, after the trainer battle, deactivate the Player Touch events with a switch (turn a switch on, then make a new, blank page in the events and set its condition to that switch).

Pitaelitmaster
September 2nd, 2009, 04:06 AM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4366/ruletheworldfail1x.pngAlso, make the rival event separate from the Player Touch ones, which should be invisible. Use a Move Route command to move the rival event towards you.

Finally, after the trainer battle, deactivate the Player Touch events with a switch (turn a switch on, then make a new, blank page in the events and set its condition to that switch).

Thanks again! I tried it and it worked.

Now i have another problem , im trying to make so that the player cant get out of the city without a pokemon but either the player cant go through even do he has a pokemon , or he can go through without one.

Here is some screenshots of the events i have:
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4366/ruletheworldfail1x.png
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/43/ruletheworldfail2w.png

Sion
September 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hey guys. I'm pretty sure the answer is simplistic. But I've been ripping my hair out all day trying to find the answer on my own.
How do you display the name of the map on screen?

~Sion

BlazingLink
September 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hey guys. I'm pretty sure the answer is simplistic. But I've been ripping my hair out all day trying to find the answer on my own.
How do you display the name of the map on screen?

~Sion

Go into the editor.exe, and metadata, select the map you want, and click Show Area Name.

Hope that'll help.

Sion
September 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
It did. Thank you very much.

~Sion

Paradox101
September 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Greetings.
I have two questions about the pokemon essentials kit. I'm doing a small project... just something to get some experience on, before perhaps applying myself to one of the budding projects around here and using said project as proof of experience. However.. I've run into a rut. In fact, two ruts. Minor ones though, I hope.

My first question is- how does one customise the BGM for a wild pokémon battle? I've got the default music changed, but I'd like the special music to play for specific battles. Legendary Pokémon battles, for example. I know how to activate them and such, I just don't know how to implement to the music.

My second question is another battle mechanic, that unfortunately spreads across the board. Battlebacks. I read up on the notes and such- as you should, but the script for me at least was working; yet not. You see, the code didn't make things permanent- sure, the next battle would have the said backing, but after that it would revert straight back to the boring old default. And when I set the script up as an invisible auto-running event, when it entered another area with a different battleback script event through a door, the game would freeze up and cease to play. Naturally, this wasn't what I was going for.

Any help would be much appreciated, as this really is irking me a bit.

Soul.//Silver
September 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
*sigh* this thread is annoying when asking a question and it doesn't get answered right away. Anyway, still need help with my whirlpool script (edit of PokemonField)
def Kernel.pbWhirlpool
if $DEBUG || movefinder
return true
end
else
end
else
end
return false
end
I assume you mean "return true"? I'm not much of a scripter, so...all I could do was look at what was done with Rocksmash (excluding the Random Encounter) and replaced Dive. This was in reply to Wichu btw

~JV~
September 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
It would be great to get help with this one. I want to make that shiny pokémon have a different second type from their normal one, let's say I want it to be fire. A Shiny Gyarados instead of being Water/Flying, it would be Water/Fire you see... I tried a few times but had no success, so I hope you help me out xD.

Fraot
September 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
It would be great to get help with this one. I want to make that shiny pokémon have a different second type from their normal one, let's say I want it to be fire. A Shiny Gyarados instead of being Water/Flying, it would be Water/Fire you see... I tried a few times but had no success, so I hope you help me out xD.

Wow, the first time i read about this... I think you should make another pokémon. A Water/Fire Gyarados. Or... basing a little bit on mad.array's feature like the Multitype ability.

~JV~
September 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Wow, the first time i read about this... I think you should make another pokémon. A Water/Fire Gyarados. Or... basing a little bit on mad.array's feature like the Multitype ability.

Yes, I thought about that, but I don't want it to show up on the pokedex you know =x. (btw, the gyarados thing is just an example)

Linkey
September 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi Guys,

maybe someone of you can help me Q_Q
Everytime Im trying to change the pbs/pokemon.txt (Even if i only change the basic HP-rate of the first pokemon Bulbasaur (for example 48 instead of 49)) i get this error:

Pokemon Essentials

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 39, key WildItemRare

Compiler:2042:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:2025:in `each_line'

Compiler:2025:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:2063:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2264:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2262:in `open'

Compiler:2262:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3519:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:3636

OK

Even if i change it back to the original pokemon.txt version, the error is still there q.q
I have to extract the pokemon.txt again from the rar file to make the game playable.
Why can't i change the pokemon.txt? Q_Q

Delusions of Originality
September 4th, 2009, 10:38 PM
fff got logged out before I could post this and now I need to start over D:

Hello. I'm new to RGSS scripting and working with Essentials and I have two questions for you all.

First of all, as part of my efforts to teach myself RGSS and Essentials and all that (that and it's an excuse to mess around with my fakemon without having to slog through making an entire game), I'd like to make a small game that only includes a Battle Factory, like the ones in Emerald and Platinum. How difficult would it be to implement something like that? I'd imagine that several scripts, as well as btpokemon.txt and bttrainers.txt, could be borrowed from the Battle Tower and Battle Palace that are already included in Essentials, but then I'd need to figure out how to give the player a choice of three out of six of the btpokemon.txt Pokémon, how to implement the swapping system, etc.. I'm not concerned with the really advanced stuff like the IVs increasing when the player has more consecutive wins (unless the Tower and Palace scripts can already handle that...?); I can work that out later, if I bother with it at all. But as far as the swapping, the randomization and all of that... how far is that from the current capabilities of Essentials, and how difficult do you think it would be to implement such a system?

Someone else asked a similar question maybe 50 pages back but was never answered; he hasn't asked again recently, though. If you've stopped asking because you figured out how to do it yourself, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Second, how does one go about editing or adding abilities? I know that it's not as straightforward as adding/editing moves or Pokémon and that it involves working with the battle scripts, among other things, but I've done some searching and so far I haven't been able to find anything that looks relevant. :( This one's not as terribly important because I don't need it anytime soon and the mini-project can get along fine without edited abilities, but this has been bothering me for a while and I'd really like to know what to do to start figuring it out.

Please note that I'm not asking for any free script handouts or for anyone to teach me how to do this; I fully intend to teach myself how to script and will implement all of this myself. I'd just like to know where to look to start modifying these sorts of things and approximately how difficult it would be to do them: are they things that could be handled by a relative novice or would they require incredibly complex scripts and weeks, months or more of practice? As soon as I know all that I'll get to work on learning the basics, and then whenever I'm good enough I'll try adding these on my own. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide, and thanks to poccil for providing such an excellent starter kit.

Wichu
September 5th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Thanks again! I tried it and it worked.

Now i have another problem , im trying to make so that the player cant get out of the city without a pokemon but either the player cant go through even do he has a pokemon , or he can go through without one.

Here is some screenshots of the events i have:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/43/ruletheworldfail2w.png
You can use a script-based switch. If you name a switch 's:$Trainer.party.size>0', then the switch will automatically turn on when you have a Pokémon in your party, and off if you don't.
Greetings.
I have two questions about the pokemon essentials kit. I'm doing a small project... just something to get some experience on, before perhaps applying myself to one of the budding projects around here and using said project as proof of experience. However.. I've run into a rut. In fact, two ruts. Minor ones though, I hope.

My first question is- how does one customise the BGM for a wild pokémon battle? I've got the default music changed, but I'd like the special music to play for specific battles. Legendary Pokémon battles, for example. I know how to activate them and such, I just don't know how to implement to the music.

My second question is another battle mechanic, that unfortunately spreads across the board. Battlebacks. I read up on the notes and such- as you should, but the script for me at least was working; yet not. You see, the code didn't make things permanent- sure, the next battle would have the said backing, but after that it would revert straight back to the boring old default. And when I set the script up as an invisible auto-running event, when it entered another area with a different battleback script event through a door, the game would freeze up and cease to play. Naturally, this wasn't what I was going for.

Any help would be much appreciated, as this really is irking me a bit.
1. Edit the pbGetWildBattleBGM method in PokemonUtilities. For example:
def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species)
if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM
return $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM.clone
end
wildbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataWildBattleBGM)
if wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
wildbgm="002-Battle02.mid"
end
case species
when PBSpecies::REGICE, PBSpecies::REGIROCK, PBSpecies::REGISTEEL
wildbgm="RegiBattle.mid"
when PBSpecies::GROUDON, PBSpecies::KYOGRE, PBSpecies::RAYQUAZA
wildbgm="TrioBattle.mid"
when PBSpecies::DEOXYS
wildbgm="DeoxysBattle.mid"
end
return pbStringToAudioFile(wildbgm)
end
2. You can edit the pbBackdrop method in PokeBattle_ActualScene to use a different background depending on a variable. For example:
def pbBackdrop
outdoor=false
if $game_map && pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
outdoor=true
end
case @battle.environment
when PBEnvironment::Grass
id=1
when PBEnvironment::TallGrass
id=2
when PBEnvironment::MovingWater
id=3
when PBEnvironment::StillWater
id=4
when PBEnvironment::Underwater
id=5
when PBEnvironment::Rock
id=7
when PBEnvironment::Cave
id=8
when PBEnvironment::Sand
id=9
else
id=(outdoor) ? 0 : 6
end
if $game_variables[26]>0
id=$game_variables[26]
end
if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
id=$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
end
battlebg="Graphics/Pictures/battlebg#{id}.png"
enemybase="Graphics/Pictures/enemybase#{id}.png"
playerbase="Graphics/Pictures/playerbase#{id}.png"
if true # !$game_temp.background_bitmap.respond_to?("radial_blur")
pbAddPlane("battlebg",battlebg,@viewport)
else
source = $game_temp.background_bitmap
bitmap = Bitmap.new(Graphics.width+32,Graphics.height)
bitmap.stretch_blt(bitmap.rect, source, source.rect)
bitmap.radial_blur(90, 12)
@sprites["battlebg"] = Sprite.new(@viewport)
@sprites["battlebg"].bitmap = bitmap
@sprites["battlebg"].x = -16
@sprites["battlebg"].y = 0
@sprites["battlebg"].wave_amp = 8
@sprites["battlebg"].wave_length = 240
@sprites["battlebg"].wave_speed = 120
end
pbAddSprite("enemybase",-256,96+@yoffset,enemybase,@viewport) # ends at (224,96)
pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,192+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)
@sprites["enemybase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
@sprites["playerbase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
@sprites["battlebg"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
=begin
if outdoor
tone = $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
@sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
@sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
@sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
end
=end
end
That change will make the background ID equal to that of variable 26 if it is greater than 0. So if you named an image "battlebg10.png", you'd use it by changing variable 26 to 10. To go back to normal, change it to 0.
*sigh* this thread is annoying when asking a question and it doesn't get answered right away. Anyway, still need help with my whirlpool script (edit of PokemonField)
This was in reply to Wichu btw
I can't really see any problems with that... Could I see the event as well?
The simplest way would be to assign an array of all the new types to a constant. For example, you could add this to a new script section:
SHINYTYPES=[]
SHINYTYPES[PBSpecies::GYARADOS]=[PBTypes::WATER,PBTypes::FIRE]

If you're going to change every Pokémon's type, it might be easier to do this instead:
SHINYTYPES=[
[PBTypes::GRASS],
[PBTypes::FIRE,PBTypes::ELECTRIC],
... # insert nearly 500 lines here
[PBTypes::PSYCHIC]
]
Then, edit the type1 and type2 methods in PokeBattle_Pokemon to this:

def type1
if isShiny?
if SHINYTYPES[@species]
return SHINYTYPES[@species][0]
end
end
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,8)
ret=dexdata.fgetb
dexdata.close
return ret
end

def type2
if isShiny?
if SHINYTYPES[@species]
if SHINYTYPES[@species][1]
return SHINYTYPES[@species][1]
else
return SHINYTYPES[@species][0]
end
end
end
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,9)
ret=dexdata.fgetb
dexdata.close
return ret
end
A bit complicated, but it should do the trick.
fff got logged out before I could post this and now I need to start over D:

Hello. I'm new to RGSS scripting and working with Essentials and I have two questions for you all.

First of all, as part of my efforts to teach myself RGSS and Essentials and all that (that and it's an excuse to mess around with my fakemon without having to slog through making an entire game), I'd like to make a small game that only includes a Battle Factory, like the ones in Emerald and Platinum. How difficult would it be to implement something like that? I'd imagine that several scripts, as well as btpokemon.txt and bttrainers.txt, could be borrowed from the Battle Tower and Battle Palace that are already included in Essentials, but then I'd need to figure out how to give the player a choice of three out of six of the btpokemon.txt Pokémon, how to implement the swapping system, etc.. I'm not concerned with the really advanced stuff like the IVs increasing when the player has more consecutive wins (unless the Tower and Palace scripts can already handle that...?); I can work that out later, if I bother with it at all. But as far as the swapping, the randomization and all of that... how far is that from the current capabilities of Essentials, and how difficult do you think it would be to implement such a system?

Someone else asked a similar question maybe 50 pages back but was never answered; he hasn't asked again recently, though. If you've stopped asking because you figured out how to do it yourself, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Second, how does one go about editing or adding abilities? I know that it's not as straightforward as adding/editing moves or Pokémon and that it involves working with the battle scripts, among other things, but I've done some searching and so far I haven't been able to find anything that looks relevant. :( This one's not as terribly important because I don't need it anytime soon and the mini-project can get along fine without edited abilities, but this has been bothering me for a while and I'd really like to know what to do to start figuring it out.

Please note that I'm not asking for any free script handouts or for anyone to teach me how to do this; I fully intend to teach myself how to script and will implement all of this myself. I'd just like to know where to look to start modifying these sorts of things and approximately how difficult it would be to do them: are they things that could be handled by a relative novice or would they require incredibly complex scripts and weeks, months or more of practice? As soon as I know all that I'll get to work on learning the basics, and then whenever I'm good enough I'll try adding these on my own. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide, and thanks to poccil for providing such an excellent starter kit.
A Battle Factory would be pretty hard to make. I can give you some information on how the Pokémon and trainer data is stored, though.
The Pokémon data is stored in btpokemon.dat, and the trainer data in bttrainers.dat. In a script, you'd extract the data like this:
bttrainers=load_data("Data/bttrainers.dat") #loads trainer data
trainerdata=bttrainers[trainerid] #trainers are stored in an array
trainer=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerdata[1],trainerdata[0]) #each trainer is an array too; you have to create a PokeBattle_Trainer object using the data in the array

btpokemon=load_data("Data/btpokemon.dat") #loads Pokémon data
pokemon=btpokemon[pokemonid].createPokemon(level,iv,trainer) #each Pokémon is stored as a PBPokemon object. The createPokemon method converts it to a PokeBattle_Pokemon
To select six random Pokémon, you could do something like this:
def randomPokemon
btpokemon=load_data("Data/btpokemon.dat")
numpokes=btpokemon.size
selectedids=[]
selectedpokes=[]
while selectedids.size<6
id=rand(numpokes)
if !selectedids.include?(id)
selectedids.push(id)
end
end
for i in 0...6
pokemon=btpokemon[selectedids[i]].createPokemon(50,31,$Trainer)
end
return selectedpokes
end
You'd have to write a script to allow the player to select three of those, then assign the player's old party to a variable, and assign the selected Pokémon to $Trainer.party.
As I said, it's pretty challenging :)

Abilities are a bit easier. To add an ability, add a new entry to PBS/Abilities.txt. However, the new ability won't do anything. To give it an effect, search the PokeBattle scripts for 'PBAbilities::ABILITYNAME', replacing ABILITYNAME with a similar ability. For example, say I wanted to make an ability which increased the power of all Psychic-type moves in a pinch. I'd search for PBAbilities::BLAZE (seeing as it's basically a variation of the same thing). This gets me this line:
basedmg=modbasedmg if attacker.ability==PBAbilities::BLAZE&&type==PBTypes::FIRE
So to add your new ability, you'd copy that line, and change it a bit, like this:
basedmg=modbasedmg if attacker.ability==PBAbilities::BLAZE&&type==PBTypes::FIRE
basedmg=modbasedmg if attacker.ability==PBAbilities::PSYCHO&&type==PBTypes::PSYCHIC
Obviously, for more complex abilities, it will be harder; the basics are the same, though.

Paradox101
September 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM
1. Edit the pbGetWildBattleBGM method in PokemonUtilities. For example:
def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species)
if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM
return $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM.clone
end
wildbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataWildBattleBGM)
if wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
wildbgm="002-Battle02.mid"
end
case species
when PBSpecies::REGICE, PBSpecies::REGIROCK, PBSpecies::REGISTEEL
wildbgm="RegiBattle.mid"
when PBSpecies::GROUDON, PBSpecies::KYOGRE, PBSpecies::RAYQUAZA
wildbgm="TrioBattle.mid"
when PBSpecies::DEOXYS
wildbgm="DeoxysBattle.mid"
end
return pbStringToAudioFile(wildbgm)
end2. You can edit the pbBackdrop method in PokeBattle_ActualScene to use a different background depending on a variable. For example:
def pbBackdrop
outdoor=false
if $game_map && pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
outdoor=true
end
case @battle.environment
when PBEnvironment::Grass
id=1
when PBEnvironment::TallGrass
id=2
when PBEnvironment::MovingWater
id=3
when PBEnvironment::StillWater
id=4
when PBEnvironment::Underwater
id=5
when PBEnvironment::Rock
id=7
when PBEnvironment::Cave
id=8
when PBEnvironment::Sand
id=9
else
id=(outdoor) ? 0 : 6
end
if $game_variables[26]>0
id=$game_variables[26]
end
if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
id=$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
end
battlebg="Graphics/Pictures/battlebg#{id}.png"
enemybase="Graphics/Pictures/enemybase#{id}.png"
playerbase="Graphics/Pictures/playerbase#{id}.png"
if true # !$game_temp.background_bitmap.respond_to?("radial_blur")
pbAddPlane("battlebg",battlebg,@viewport)
else
source = $game_temp.background_bitmap
bitmap = Bitmap.new(Graphics.width+32,Graphics.height)
bitmap.stretch_blt(bitmap.rect, source, source.rect)
bitmap.radial_blur(90, 12)
@sprites["battlebg"] = Sprite.new(@viewport)
@sprites["battlebg"].bitmap = bitmap
@sprites["battlebg"].x = -16
@sprites["battlebg"].y = 0
@sprites["battlebg"].wave_amp = 8
@sprites["battlebg"].wave_length = 240
@sprites["battlebg"].wave_speed = 120
end
pbAddSprite("enemybase",-256,96+@yoffset,enemybase,@viewport) # ends at (224,96)
pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,192+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)
@sprites["enemybase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
@sprites["playerbase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
@sprites["battlebg"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
=begin
if outdoor
tone = $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
@sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
@sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
@sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
end
=end
endThat change will make the background ID equal to that of variable 26 if it is greater than 0. So if you named an image "battlebg10.png", you'd use it by changing variable 26 to 10. To go back to normal, change it to 0.

That BGM code worked perfectly. And I thank you for that.
The second part not so well. Not on your codes fault, but my own. I am afraid I'm a bit of a newbie.. but if you don't ask, you don't learn. Thing is, I don't quite understand what you're saying... and I don't know how to change the background Id(?) to what is desired.
Sorry if I'm being annoying. Perhaps soon with a bit of luck I won't be so crappy, heh.

Wichu
September 5th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Basically, the background files are named 'battlebg#.png', right? The game loads a different one for the different terrains you battle on.
I added a small section which overwrites that with the contents of a variable. So if you wanted it to permanently use 'battlebg5.png', you'd use an event to change variable #26 to 5. You can change the number of the variable used by editing the relevant numbers in the script.

Delusions of Originality
September 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the helpful explanation, Wichu. I'll keep all that in mind.

Paradox101
September 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Basically, the background files are named 'battlebg#.png', right? The game loads a different one for the different terrains you battle on.
I added a small section which overwrites that with the contents of a variable. So if you wanted it to permanently use 'battlebg5.png', you'd use an event to change variable #26 to 5. You can change the number of the variable used by editing the relevant numbers in the script.

The first part I understand, with the graphics and such. Its the eventing and scripting thats my achilles heel, I'm afraid. I have no idea what kind of event code to use to change the variable, and I'm a little confused, because by the looks of things with this code I can only have one battleback per playthrough, and when I wish to have several different ones for different area's on the game, I have to go back to the script and edit everything to change it... If that makes any sense at all.

Wichu
September 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
No, you simply use a Set Variable event command, choose the relevant variable, and set it to the ID of the battle background you want to use. The variables in the main RMXP editor correspond to the $game_variables[] variables in the scripts.
To implement it, you could add a Set Variable command to all the events which transfer you to a map, or to invisible Player Touch events on the ground when you enter it. If you have, say, a volcano map, and your volcano background is 'battlebg10.png', at the entrance to the volcano, you'd add an event which changes that variable to 10. Then, when the player exits the volcano, you'd use another event to change it back to 0. Those commands can be added to existing warp events, too.
You don't need to change anything in the script; the backgrounds are controlled with the in-game variables.

Maruno
September 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Yes, I thought about that, but I don't want it to show up on the pokedex you know =x. (btw, the gyarados thing is just an example)
An alternative to the solution above is to indeed make a new pokémon with your different type combination (Water/Fire Gyarados), and to superficially change the Pokédex so that it only displays the first 493 pokémon rather than all of them (you'd also need to edit the "add 1 to seen/own counter" thing to only apply to the first 493 pokémon, so that shiny pokémon aren't counted as extra ones when you see/catch them). It's a case of changing just one line, I believe.

This would be good for a start, but if you wanted them to actually replace the shiny pokémon rather than be a separate encounter (where the rarest they'd be would be 1%, as defined in encounters.txt), then you'd need to add a little thing to the encounter generating script to the effect of "if shiny, then check the species and replace it with the alternate type version if there is one". This would be somewhat like above, except it changes the species rather than just the types.

I think creating a new pokémon rather than edit an existing one depending on it being shiny would be more useful if you wanted to change other aspects about it as well (such as move lists or stats). While it would certainly be possible to change those through the application of the solution above, it seems easier in the end to edit it by editing a new pokémon rather thaan adding a bunch of scripts that checks the species and shininess and does different things.

No, you simply use a Set Variable event command, choose the relevant variable, and set it to the ID of the battle background you want to use. The variables in the main RMXP editor correspond to the $game_variables[] variables in the scripts.
To implement it, you could add a Set Variable command to all the events which transfer you to a map, or to invisible Player Touch events on the ground when you enter it. If you have, say, a volcano map, and your volcano background is 'battlebg10.png', at the entrance to the volcano, you'd add an event which changes that variable to 10. Then, when the player exits the volcano, you'd use another event to change it back to 0. Those commands can be added to existing warp events, too.
You don't need to change anything in the script; the backgrounds are controlled with the in-game variables.
In addition to this solution, you could expand on the script-based settings for more control. In the pbBackdrop script Wichu quoted above, you could instead change the backdrop ID number depending on the map you're on (if in a desert, then have a sandy background, etc.). You could also set up a different backdrop depending on the time of day, the type of encounter, the encountered species, etc. etc., as well as setting the ID like Wichu suggested above, and by using nextBattleBack.

...If you wanted to have more control, that is. It's also a little easier to see which maps have which backdrops, since it's all a big list in the script rather than looking in every event in turn. But whichever works for you.

Paradox101
September 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM

So... invisible player touch events. Okay..
But what exactly is the change variable command? I have no idea how to change the variables to what I want, because I don't know the code / script or whatnot... bah, I feel like both and idiot and a chore at this point..

In addition to this solution, you could expand on the script-based settings for more control. In the pbBackdrop script Wichu quoted above, you could instead change the backdrop ID number depending on the map you're on (if in a desert, then have a sandy background, etc.). You could also set up a different backdrop depending on the time of day, the type of encounter, the encountered species, etc. etc., as well as setting the ID like Wichu suggested above, and by using nextBattleBack.

...If you wanted to have more control, that is. It's also a little easier to see which maps have which backdrops, since it's all a big list in the script rather than looking in every event in turn. But whichever works for you.

Too bad I have no idea how to do all this. I'm completely fresh to all this coding buisness I'm afraid... this is my first project, after all. Even if it is rather small.

Maruno
September 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
So... invisible player touch events. Okay..
But what exactly is the change variable command? I have no idea how to change the variables to what I want, because I don't know the code / script or whatnot... bah, I feel like both and idiot and a chore at this point..
Make a blank event, go into it and put a line in. One of the options is "Control Variables" (page 1, top right). It's easy.

Too bad I have no idea how to do all this. I'm completely fresh to all this coding buisness I'm afraid... this is my first project, after all. Even if it is rather small.
No worries. What I said is certainly not important; it was just a bit more info for anyone who cared.

Paradox101
September 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Alright.. got the control Variables page open, but now there's all these options and I have clue what relates to what..

Maruno
September 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Alright.. got the control Variables page open, but now there's all these options and I have clue what relates to what..
The window has the question mark box at the top right, which will help explain what's going on. Simply, put, the top section says what variable or variables to change, the middle section says what to do to it (you'll want Set), and the bottom section says what value to set it to.

This is one of the most basic parts of RPG Maker XP. You really do need to read guides on it and just play with the basic program for a few months before even thinking about making a Pokémon game. A Pokémon game is quite a bit more complex than a generic RPG, so if you don't know the basics of RPG Maker you'll find it impossible to do anything.

Paradox101
September 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thing is, this isnt a proper game. I'm merely trying to get all the features and codes and whatnot figured out- playing around with stuff, like you said. This is merely part of that learning experience.

I was merely wondering how I set it to this specific variable. When I open up the first section, it gives me a load of reserved codes.. but I'm not sure which one is the one I want, or how to create the variable if need be.

lx_theo
September 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thing is, this isnt a proper game. I'm merely trying to get all the features and codes and whatnot figured out- playing around with stuff, like you said. This is merely part of that learning experience.

I was merely wondering how I set it to this specific variable. When I open up the first section, it gives me a load of reserved codes.. but I'm not sure which one is the one I want, or how to create the variable if need be.

Well you need to read guides and stuff and learn it yourself. Almost no one is willing to teach you step by step. Like you said, play around with stuff and figure out what they do.

Maruno
September 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM

The variables all already exist - they're just not set to a value.

At the top, click on the arrow next to the box to pick a single variable. You'll get a list of all variables in the game. Find the one with the same number as whatever you put into the script (Wichu made it 26). Now, you can (and should) name this variable so you don't accidentally use it elsewhere as well. When selecting the variable, type in the name you want ("For Battlebacks" or something), and then click "OK".

As far as reserved variables goes, don't use any of the first 25 (i.e. the first page). Easy to remember. You could even name them "Reserved" just to help you remember - the names of variables don't affect the game, they're just an aid for you.

The middle section, you'll want to make it "Set" (which it is by default).

The third section, you'll want to set it to a constant. Put the battleback ID number into the box next to "Constant".

Again, I strongly recommend you play with the basic RPG Maker, and not with Essentials. The latter builds on the former, and you need to know the former first. Seriously. Forget about Pokémon for the time being (or spend the time inventing fakemon or something), and play with RPG Maker itself.

You say it's part of the learning experience. The thing is, there are plenty of better places you can ask questions about the basics. People are just going to ignore you if you ask how to create an NPC or something, and that'll just discourage you. You should be learning the basics either from playing around by yourself, or from reading tutorials or asking people in different forums. This isn't the kind of forum for asking RPG Maker basics.

And to be blunt, this question was one of the VERY basic basics. There are much harder things in RPG Maker, and even harder things in Essentials. If you're having trouble here (and you're not willing to make any guesses and learn from your mistakes, nor find one of the hundreds of tutorials on the Interweb), then you're just not cut out for this.

Paradox101
September 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Understood.
Thank you for all the help, its thoroughly appreciated.

And I suppose you're right. It's just I never really got on with tutorials... you can't ask them to explain it a different way like another person can if you don't quite understand something.
But either way, I'll act on your advice. Though everythings been going pretty okay so far, I'll put some time aside to seriously knuckle down on the basics.. I've got the materials and eventing things down quite well, its merely the scripting and such which is my serious weakness. Heh. So, I think I'll try just mucking about with the core program for a bit. Then when I've learnt whats out there.. perhaps I'll come back here and hope to get some experience under a team project or something. You gotta start somewhere, in any case.

Also, little tip- your advice is top notch, but you could try being a little nicer and less stern about things, you know? Just food for thought.

Soul.//Silver
September 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry Wichu, completely forgot about posting the Event too. Anyway, here is the Event.
@>Conditional Branch: Script : Kernel.pbWhirlpool
@>
@>
@>

kanariekop
September 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Hi, when I use the Pokemon Starter kit for RPG Maker XP and I jump over an edge. That all works well, it jumped over the edge without a error but when I do a step after I jumped I get an error:

Interpreter:883:in `command_116'
Interpreter:334:in `execute_command'
Game_Event_:230:in `update'
Game_Map_:309:in `update'
Game_Map_:307:in `each'
Game_Map_:307:in `update'
Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

Can some1 help me plz?

Alexandre
September 6th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Hi, when I use the Pokemon Starter kit for RPG Maker XP and I jump over an edge. That all works well, it jumped over the edge without a error but when I do a step after I jumped I get an error:

Interpreter:883:in `command_116'
Interpreter:334:in `execute_command'
Game_Event_:230:in `update'
Game_Map_:309:in `update'
Game_Map_:307:in `each'
Game_Map_:307:in `update'
Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

Can some1 help me plz?
That error comes up when you are trying to erase a non-existant event. Are you sure you haven't placed pbEraseThisEvent anyway where it shouldn't be?

Mistic Maril
September 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
How do I make an event for a ledgendary pokemon encounter? Like, if you talk to it, it'll make a sound and you'll battle it at a certain level?

Trikeboy
September 7th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Taken from notes.html:
Wild Pokémon Battles

To generate a wild Pokémon battle, call pbWildBattle(X,Y,V,C) where X is the species number of the Pokémon, and Y is its level. See PBSpecies for species IDs. The optional parameter V represents the number of a variable to store the result of the battle (1=won; 3=escaped; 4=caught), and the optional parameter C is true if the player can escape from the battle.

Put the pbWildBattle into an event. The notes file is very useful, huh?

Pitaelitmaster
September 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Is a gym leader battle script the same as a normal trainer battle script?

lx_theo
September 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Yes, you just have to make it so it calls the trainer class your using for that gym leader

Maruno
September 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Yes, you just have to make it so it calls the trainer class your using for that gym leader
Not to mention flip a "Beat the Fire Gym" global switch to turn off all trainers in that Gym (i.e. make them say "You beat the Sword Master!" instead of challenging the player/saying "I lost" - or whatever you want them to do), and to give the player a new badge/TM afterwards. All this is done in events based on "if player wins this battle"; it doesn't affect the battle itself.

Other events that are unlocked only after said Gym Leader can either be unlocked using the same "Beat the Fire Gym" switch or by checking if badge number 3 is TRUE (i.e. you have it). Each way is as easy as the other.

Mistic Maril
September 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Taken from notes.html:

Put the pbWildBattle into an event. The notes file is very useful, huh?
(Sends copious amounts of money out of graditude) THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

Sion
September 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Alright. I'm currently trying to overhaul my battle system to that of D/Pt.
I've started with the Health bars. But I'm having an issue with the
long advance hp bar showing. The D/Pt health bar I'm using is smaller.
How do I edit the increase/decrease health bar pics to go with my new
bars?

Also, I would like to make the text on the aforementioned health bars WHITE
instead of BLACK. What script and line would I have to edit?

I have two screenshots of my current situation. And my desired outcome.

CURRENT

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/Seeo/Current.png

DESIRED

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/Seeo/Desire.png

Thanks in advance,

~Sion

blueguy
September 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Go into the Script Editor and click on "PokeBattle_ActualScene." Lines 584 and 585 are the base and shadow colors for the text in the Pokémon's status box. Replace the stuff after the equal sign with the new base and shadow colors like so.

base=Color.new(248,248,248)
shadow=Color.new(96,96,96)

I think the shadow color is a little too light, but it should look okay. Hope I've helped. :3

As for my question, I need more players than A, B, C, and D. *whispers* A lot more. Does anyone know how I can make it unlimited?

Sion
September 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Thank you, that fixed the color problem.
My health bars are still out of whack though.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/Seeo/Current2.png

There's no way I could make it so the bars would fit in
alignment to mine?

~Sion

Alexandre
September 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
There is an equation you can edit in Actualscene that determines the length of the health bar. In the equation, there is a multiplication by how long the bar should be, edit that number to the amount of pixels you want. I can't remember the equation of the top of my head. but it should look something like this: (totalhp-hp) * 104. Something like that.

Mistic Maril
September 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
OK, thanks Trikeboy. The script worked perfectly. I am now trying to make a knockoff of faraway island. (You know, Mew's island.) Here's the deal. Mew's supposed to fly all over the map, when you first see him, it'll be a player touch event. The text will be: "MEW flew off somewhere!" This much works. I have 3 variables. One for each no-battle encounter.
Mew 1
Mew 2
Mew 3
Then, Mew appears on the other side of the map and battles you. I need help with the events because I checked over everything but still all that works is the player touch (first) event. I would have shown screenshots, but I have yet to reach 15 posts.

Mistic Maril
September 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Okay, I got 15 posts and I'll try to post screens.
They will be ordered numarically, from the first time you see him to when you encounter him.

lx_theo
September 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Okay, I got 15 posts and I'll try to post screens.
They will be ordered numarically, from the first time you see him to when you encounter him.

Well, you could use switches. Like, you press the action button for the event, the text box says whatever, the mew sprites moves off screen. Then its switch turns off and the next mew sprites switch turns on. That continues until you battle it.

Mistic Maril
September 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
There's an error screen that comes up every time I catch a Pokemon, and its really annoying. Is it because I'm catching a shiny?

Maruno
September 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
There's an error screen that comes up every time I catch a Pokemon, and its really annoying. Is it because I'm catching a shiny?
Depends what the error message is. Try quoting it to us.

lx_theo
September 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know how to add the ability to use animated trainer battle sprites?

~Frozen Darkness~
September 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I just can't seem to figure out how to add a regional Pokedex, let alone make multiple regional pokedexes.

How can I do this?

Also, how do I allow to player to get a regional Pokedex in-game?

myenemy
September 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I've a problem.
Editor/Extract text
(Project folder)/intl.txt
I change whatever, save it, Editor/Compile text
"Failed to compile text: Section 14's line count is not divisible by 3 (section was recognized as an ordered list because its first line is a number)"
If I undo the changes, then the same happens. Until I extract it again, same error.
As the beggining of the intl sais, I just translate every second line.
For example, Line 1 : Map
Line 2 : Mapa
(The 2nd line is in spanish)
It's enought change a letter, and that happens.

Rustus
September 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I downloaded your system yesterday and I have seen that it is quite powerful. However, I attempted to edit the trainers so that I could create my gym leaders in your editor program and it gave me some sort of error message. I can post the error log if necessary. I have also found other errors amongst the editor, but I am currently unsure what to do with them, as I have no experience with ruby at all.

other than the errors I have been getting it's a great system, and I will most likely be creating a game with it.

Also, I am interested in making 100 instead of 50 TMs and more than 8 Gym Leaders. Is this possible with this system? If so, could someone explain it to me?

~Frozen Darkness~
September 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
For your TM and gym problem: It's simple. Just create as many as you want. You don't need to edit any special scripts.

Rustus
September 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM
gotcha thanks... i know this is kinda n00bish but where do I edit the TMs at? (prepares to dodge rotten tomatoes)

~Frozen Darkness~
September 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
You edit the items.txt file in the PBS Folder.

Rustus
September 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Tried that, when I made TM51 (Blaze Kick, I might add) and made an event to obtain it, it keeps giving me TM50 instead.

~Frozen Darkness~
September 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You might have made it incorrectly. Show me the line of code you added for TM51.

O.G. Duke
September 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Alright. How can I make the trainer's sprite and Player backsprite still there untill the battle end? It means when you battle, your trainer backsprite still there with your pokemon, and your opponent sprite still there with his pokemon.

1ninjadude1701
September 12th, 2009, 05:46 AM
i want to drag and drop images into the map and make it the map is there any posible way to do this?

BallisticBlastoise
September 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hey it's Metamew. I changed my game's name from Pokemon Weather to Pokemon Black Eclipse and I'm trying to make a demo which means I need to make a seperate game file the original. How do I make a seperate game file so that everything that comes with pokestarter like the intro map and titles shows. Everytime I make a new game file, I keep seeing the original rpgmakerxp titles. And also, can I change the name of a game file without having to create a new one?

incognito322
September 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
How do I get the footsteps on the sand tiles (terrain tag 3)?
Also, I want to add sound effects for certain tiles. Do I have to make an extra terrain tag for them as well?
And (for now) one last thing… I want a few extra terrain tags for visual effects (like shallow water and such). Again, is it possible to make extra terrain tags for them?

ryu3000
September 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
When I ever I select "Trainer Types" in the editor or need to select an existing Trainer Type I get this error:

Message: undefined method `setBitmap' for #<SpriteWrapper:0x8c64c70>
PokemonEditor:1084:in `refresh'
PokemonEditor:879:in `pbListScreenBlock'
PokemonEditor:874:in `loop'
PokemonEditor:899:in `pbListScreenBlock'
PokemonEditor:2919:in `pbTrainerTypeEditor'
EditorMain:58:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:58:in `pbFadeOutIn'
EditorMain:58:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:26:in `loop'
EditorMain:97:in `pbEditorMenu'I am able to create trainer type though, but I can't look at any existing type that were there or that I created without this error.

The other problem is that when playtest the game and use my Poke'dex, selecting a pokemon (to see it's areas and all that stuff), I get this message:

Message: undefined method `rect' for #<AnimatedBitmap:0xa7c6ad8>
PokemonPokedex:568:in `pbChangeToDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:603:in `pbDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:830:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:849:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:874:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:139:in `loop'and when I play (not playtest) the game and use my Poke'dex, selecting a pokemon (to see it's areas and all that stuff), I get this message:

Script'PokemonPokedex'line 568: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `rect' for#<AnimatedBitmap:0xa513508>This is a huge problem for me. In order to continue this way I would have to create a new trainer type evertime I make a trainer, and even then what's a pokemon game with a pokedex that doesn't work? Can someone please help me?

DA-Kizemaru
September 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Im having a problem, I just downloaded the starter kit off the site and a error pops up

" Script 'Audio' line 136: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method `getPlayMusic' for Kernel:Module "

How do i fix this?

1ninjadude1701
September 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
i want to drag and drop images into the map and make it the map is there any posible way to do this?

hello problem here can anyone try to help me fix this.

ryu3000
September 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Yes!!! It worked. Ok, I noticed a lot of who use the pokestarter lately have many many errors. I downloaded Pokestarter in so many times in so many areas, and each downloaded version failed. Well I just found this video with instructions and a link so it may work for any of you. Here it is, and if it doesn't then I'm sorry and I hope you error problems are fixed soon:

(I can't post URLs to sites yet, so that's why I'm not linking the video here) The video is at Youtube and it's called "How to easily make your own Pokemon Game (HD)" by Youtube user TheJuicyBurrito.

Ok, I just found a couple of minor errors. It errors when you use the pokedex search mode (in the F5 menu) in the game and in the game testing the error says

[code]Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `dexdata' for #<PokemonPokedexScene:0xaab4698>
PokemonPokedex:465:in `pbSearchDexList'
PokemonPokedex:745:in `pbDexSearch'
PokemonPokedex:716:in `loop'
PokemonPokedex:771:in `pbDexSearch'
PokemonPokedex:833:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:849:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:874:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
[\code]

you can still use shift mode though, and you can select pokemon in the pokedex. The other one is that when fishing you're sprite becomes some lady, so it just means the image is wrong so you can fix it by giving it the correct sprite.

Atomic Reactor
September 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hey everyone, I downloaded the latest essentials (sep 5th 2009)
But anytime I open the bag, this error comes up.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x19/atomicreactor334/error-3.png

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix it?

partyghoul2000
September 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM
i don't know how many of you guys are working on the sept. 5 release, but there's a release that just came out on the 12th. don't know if it'll fix any of your problems, but just thought i'd give you all a heads up.

*EDIT*
i did have a problem starting the game up, something about an undefined method 'getPlayMusic', but renaming or deleting the audio.dll seems to fix this.

~JV~
September 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Poccil didn't update the history section of notes.html, doesn anyone know what are the changes of that new version? I use the one from September 2008 and don't feel any difference at all..

Atomic Reactor
September 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM
partyghoull: Does the sept. 12th edition have any problems with the bag?

JV: If you click the link that says 'pokemon essentials' in his sig, then scroill down on that site, i believe theres links to the changes for each update.

~JV~
September 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM
partyghoull: Does the sept. 12th edition have any problems with the bag?

JV: If you click the link that says 'pokemon essentials' in his sig, then scroill down on that site, i believe theres links to the changes for each update.

Nah... Those are code changes, lines and lines of changed scripts... I guess it was a big one, but I can't tell everything he changed. Here are a few things a noticed:

-He changed the way the audio is read, I guess he has been working with that buggy sudio.dll
-He made a few edits to the online system =], could that be...?
-He changed the way sprites are shown in battle or summary.

I didn't read it all but these are a few things I figured out.

lx_theo
September 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
So, does anyone know this... ?

Pitaelitmaster
September 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
How do you create your own switch?
Like for ex. I want to create a second badge switch so that you cant get inside a cave until you have the second badge.Like the first badge switch or the Got Pokemon switch.

Sorry if i can´t explain it any better!

P.S Im using RPGXP

Atomic Reactor
September 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
JV: Oh right on... So does the sept 12th edition have any problems with the bag system? Cause sept 5th version does. Anyone know how to fix it?

taimao
September 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Has anyone any hints of how to get the alternate forms of Castform to work?
I have tried, and am tired of error messages or no resulting sprite change.

Edit:I plan on having weather based evolutions of castform and it just makes more sense if changes forms in battle.

Fraot
September 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hey everyone, I downloaded the latest essentials (sep 5th 2009)
But anytime I open the bag, this error comes up.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x19/atomicreactor334/error-3.png

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix it?
I think the wrong thing are the red arrows, you know, the ones that moves... the "AnimatedBitmap"

Atomic Reactor
September 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Alright, so then how do i fix it?

venom12
September 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
MAybe try to replace for this lines
@sprites["leftarrow"]=AnimatedSprite.new("Graphics/Pictures/leftarrow.png",8,40,28,2,@viewport)
@sprites["rightarrow"]=AnimatedSprite.new("Graphics/Pictures/rightarrow.png",8,40,28,2,@viewport)
@sprites["leftarrow"].play
@sprites["rightarrow"].play

Maruno
September 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Alright. How can I make the trainer's sprite and Player backsprite still there untill the battle end? It means when you battle, your trainer backsprite still there with your pokemon, and your opponent sprite still there with his pokemon.
I haven't looked at the battle scripts yet, but as far as I recall from a brief glimpse, the trainer sprites are always shown on-screen, they're just outside the window (i.e. they stay where they move to at the beginning). My first guess would be to find where they slide to, and change that position (presumably just to the edge so they're still looking on but they're not exactly where the pokémon are.

You're bound to run into overlap problems here, so play with it and see what happens.

You... What do you actually want to do? Make a map? Please go away and learn the basics of RPG Maker XP.

I'm not being nasty here (or at least, I don't intend to be).

The icons in the party summary screen use animated sprites. What you may want to figure out is how to copy this method and expand on it (more frames, etc. etc.).

Alternatively, make a .gif of every animation, with the last frame being the standard pose, and figure out how to display it and only animate it once.

The brute force method is to create a separate image of each frame of the animation for every pokémon, name them "042bata.png", "042batb.png", etc. and change the script to display them all in order, before finally displaying "042.png". This is the brute force method because it's the easiest way, but is rather inconvenient (all those picture files...).

You could, however, see how the elemental type symbols work (i.e. choose and display only one segment of a single picture file) and do that. Transparency (which you'd need in all the pictures) takes up a lot of space, and you'd save a lot of that by only having 1 picture file with transparency replacing, say, 6 of same.

That's all in theory. As I mentioned above, I don't have any real experience with the battle system yet.

dxhugo
September 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Vista x64: Every time I start the game, I get this:

Pokemon Essentials

Audio:136:in `Audio_bgm_play'

Audio:303:in `bgm_play'

Game_System:37:in `audioBgmPlay'

Game_System:58:in `bgm_play_ex'

Game_System:71:in `bgm_play'

Interpreter:1486:in `command_241'

Interpreter:414:in `execute_command'

OK

taimao
September 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
There is a Sept. 13 edition out now, but haven't downloaded it yet. Have to figure out what I have changed, and reincorperate my changes into the new programming. At least I put a comment in wherever I changed something or added something (i.e. checks for new abilities/pokemon/moves).

dxhugo
September 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I get this error. . .

Pokemon Essentials

Audio:136:in `Audio_bgm_play'

Audio:303:in `bgm_play'

Game_System:37:in `audioBgmPlay'

Game_System:58:in `bgm_play_ex'

Game_System:71:in `bgm_play'

Interpreter:1486:in `command_241'

Interpreter:414:in `execute_command'

OK

Why?

taimao
September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I downloaded the newest version can't start it, am going to stick with the old version I have that works for me.

Anyway will the startegy for showing Giratina's alternate form work for Castform.

Edit: How do you change/refresh a sprite while in battle