PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

1ninjadude1701
October 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM
ok i think i know what you mean but how do i enable because i un quoted and it not enabled

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch
October 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
@Peeky Chew - that's very odd... What OS do you run? I'm on an XP, and I've never seen it do something like that. Maybe you downloaded the wrong file somewhere?

Or did you get it from poccil's site? If you did, it shouldn't be doing that, I think... XD

Anyway, could somebody help me out? The section on modifying a Pokémon suggests that you can change its gender, but only shows you how to make it shiny. I'd like to know the script, if there is one, that will make sure the pokemon is male, or make sure it is female.

setGender(1) and setGender(0) don't work. It waits for a while, then says the script is taking too long, saves and exits.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Smell
October 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Does anybody know how I can set the trainer's name myself without having to let the player enter a name of their choosing? I haven't figured out the variable or whatever it is.

Also, I found on lines 691 - 792 the code for sending out the player's Pokémon. What I want to do is instead of having the Pokémon come out of the Pokéball (which is now transparent), have the Pokémon move from off-screen to the battle position. How can I do this?

Trikeboy
October 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Does anybody know how I can set the trainer's name myself without having to let the player enter a name of their choosing? I haven't figured out the variable or whatever it is.

In PokemonUtilities, search for pbTrainerName. The first line should be trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7). Simply change it to trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7,""). In the quotes at the end enter a default name eg trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7,"Ash"). That way you set a name but give the player the choice of changing it. Alternatively, if you don't want the player to change the name, simply enter trname="Ash". The player will not be given the option to enter a name.

The Smell
October 17th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks! Worked like a charm! ;)

Peeky Chew
October 17th, 2009, 02:56 AM
@Peeky Chew - that's very odd... What OS do you run? I'm on an XP, and I've never seen it do something like that. Maybe you downloaded the wrong file somewhere?

Or did you get it from poccil's site? If you did, it shouldn't be doing that, I think... XD
Vista and I got it right off poccil's site in the first post. I'm pretty sure this is a vista problem because in all the tutorials showing you how to download it they're using xp.

Wichu
October 17th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Try downloading an unzipping program such as 7zip and opening it with that.

Maruno
October 17th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Also, I found on lines 691 - 792 the code for sending out the player's Pokémon. What I want to do is instead of having the Pokémon come out of the Pokéball (which is now transparent), have the Pokémon move from off-screen to the battle position. How can I do this?
As I recall, the trainers slide on from the sides at the beginning of the battle, before doing their throwing animations and going away. I would suggest you hijack the "sliding on" code by replacing the trainers' sprites with the pokémon sprites, and quoting out the rest.

Of course, when encountering a wild pokémon the wild pokémon slides on by itself. Have a look to see how that's handled, see what defs are called and which aren't, and pretty much mimic that for trainer battles too.

Pretty much the only differences between the player and the foe should be which sprite is being used (the back sprite of your lead pokémon - easy to define), and the coordinates (just numbers) and direction of sliding (a plus/minus sign).

...Or so I imagine. I haven't specifically looked this up.

Wind Gale
October 17th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Vista and I got it right off poccil's site in the first post. I'm pretty sure this is a vista problem because in all the tutorials showing you how to download it they're using xp.
No it is not a problem with Vista. I have a Vista computer to and it works. I'll redownload and tell you how I opened it. That might help. I do remember that I did not need to unzip it.

Peeky Chew
October 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
No it is not a problem with Vista. I have a Vista computer to and it works. I'll redownload and tell you how I opened it. That might help. I do remember that I did not need to unzip it.Ok thanks, that would help, a lot.
And I'll try downloading that thing Wichu, if this doesn't work.

Wind Gale
October 17th, 2009, 05:54 AM
You do need &-ZIP. I use it so much I forgot that I needed it. You can get 7-ZIP here (http://files.uberdownloads.com/7-zipe.html)

robie392
October 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM

#1 Defiantly want to try unzipping first

#2 The issue could be that if your using the fake version of RMXP(postilaty knights or whatever its called) it has many glitches?!

#3 The problem could also be for the legit version you need to run it in compatibility mode thats what i had to do and how you do that is you find RMXP icon and go to properties and select run in compatibility mode also search pokecommunity for help because theres a thread for help running it in windows vista which is what i had to do

#4 pm if you are running the fake version (I got the legit version but still know how to fix errors and other such things) though ill explain why if you pm me.

Nyu~♥!
October 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Big problem, guys.
I'm stuck, very much. Carmaniac and I were trying to work together to find out more about scripting hold items. To our suprise, none of them are in the PokemonItems script. Also, in the notes (http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html) there is not a single word about how to script them.
This is the item I wanted to script, from items.txt.

504,ILLUSIONGEM,ILLUSION GEM,1,4500,"A mysterious gem to be held by TANNUSSION. It seems to cause an illusion, reducing accuracy.",1,0

I'm a little frustrated that it doesn't at least say "hold items cannot be scripted" or something. Because apparently they cannot be. There are a million hold items in the items.txt document, but yet, no scripts on them..? Can someone help me out please? Sorry to sound rude, I'm just frustrated over all this broken hope.

robie392
October 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
unfortunately i cant find anything even after 20 different pages of google searching it could exist but you might have to script it which really shouldnt be that hard

good luck and now you got me interested in trying to change wild pokemon items or even create a script for it

Nyu~♥!
October 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
erm.. I know I have to script it.. problem is i don't know how.... and it's not even in the notes.

robie392
October 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
sorry forgot to add that i would probably start in the script database looking for where pokemon data is held and figuring out how to add the chance rate for each item and then adding along with the item script to the pokemon data or something
sorry i cant be too much more helpful ill go try some stuff out and if you can get it before me please share how

Peeky Chew
October 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM
You do need &-ZIP. I use it so much I forgot that I needed it. You can get 7-ZIP here (http://files.uberdownloads.com/7-zipe.html)
It worked! Sort of...
I can get on to the starter kit and do anything but actually play test the game, when I click it it says:
RGSS Player has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem

(then)

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

@robie392 (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=96437): It's the proper version.

robie392
October 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM
go here for help getting it to run on vista
#1 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115394
#2 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=165326

that should fix all errors i had the same problem so the guides helped fix all the problems mainly the first guide but i was having some other errors so looked and found the other guide too, they should solve all your issues

Klofkac
October 18th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I discovered the sunny weather in this starter kit. It is weather type 4! Why it isn't in notes?

robie392
October 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
here is the advanced notes i just edited to include sunny weather thats all i edited
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1N6ICRT0

Maruno
October 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Big problem, guys.
I'm stuck, very much. Carmaniac and I were trying to work together to find out more about scripting hold items. To our suprise, none of them are in the PokemonItems script. Also, in the notes (http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html) there is not a single word about how to script them.
This is the item I wanted to script, from items.txt.

504,ILLUSIONGEM,ILLUSION GEM,1,4500,"A mysterious gem to be held by TANNUSSION. It seems to cause an illusion, reducing accuracy.",1,0

I'm a little frustrated that it doesn't at least say "hold items cannot be scripted" or something. Because apparently they cannot be. There are a million hold items in the items.txt document, but yet, no scripts on them..? Can someone help me out please? Sorry to sound rude, I'm just frustrated over all this broken hope.
PokemonItems is where scripts go for when you actively use them. Potions and so forth. Held items generally have a passive role, and do things like boost ATK or are consumed in a pinch (some berries). The scripts for these items are to be found at the relevant places in the battle scripts (e.g. PokeBattle_Move contains the def pbAccuracyCheck, where things like BrightPowder are accounted for).

If you can't find an item in PokemonItems, then think about where the item has an effect (e.g. in battle/on the field) and look in those places instead. The same applies to abilities, which are completely decentralised.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

I decided to remove some items from my game (including the below-mentioned Lax Incense), as I'm not going to use them. I deleted their lines from items.txt, and when I went to compile the game, this error came up:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NameError
PokemonOrgBattle:59:in `const_get'
PokemonOrgBattle:59:in `fromInspected'
Compiler:536:in `pbCompileBattlePokemon'
Compiler:535:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:501:in `each_line'
Compiler:501:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:498:in `open'
Compiler:498:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:535:in `pbCompileBattlePokemon'
Compiler:3549:in `pbCompileAllData'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
I know Lax Incense has some effects already coded in the scripts, but I didn't think that would be a problem, as I've gotten rid of some pokémon that are also coded in (i.e. Unown and its forms). I figured the game would simply ignore the places it looks for an item that doesn't exist, just as it does when it loads a pokémon sprite (i.e. when it checks whether the 'mon in question is the undefined Unown).

The items.txt has gaps in the numbers, but so does the original Essentials (both in items.txt and the icons - the latter only has one gap, between items 374 and 500, but it's still a gap), and it worked fine then.

Do I have to go through all the scripts and comment out every reference to every deleted item? Or is there another reason this error is coming up? I don't want to waste my time going through lots of code if I don't have to.

robie392
October 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM
i would try deleting every instance that its called in because when every time it goes to check the code it wont be able to find the data for the thing thats trying to be called upon

Maruno
October 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
That's not the issue, as I thought it wasn't. The issue is "btpokemon.txt", which begins like so:

SUNKERN;LAXINCENSE;RELAXED;HP,SA;MEGADRAIN,HELPINGHAND,SUNNYDAY,LIGHTSCREEN
AZURILL;CHERIBERRY;RASH;HP,SA;WATERPULSE,ATTRACT,SING,CHARM
CATERPIE;FOCUSBAND;QUIRKY;HP,ATK;TACKLE,STRINGSHOT,,
WEEDLE;FOCUSBAND;QUIRKY;HP,ATK;POISONSTING,STRINGSHOT,,
WURMPLE;LAXINCENSE;QUIRKY;HP,ATK;TACKLE,STRINGSHOT,POISONSTING,
RALTS;TWISTEDSPOON;DOCILE;HP,SA;CONFUSION,IMPRISON,DOUBLETEAM,LIGHTSCREEN
MAGIKARP;FOCUSBAND;HARDY;HP,ATK;FLAIL,,,
FEEBAS;FOCUSBAND;LONELY;HP,ATK;FLAIL,MIRRORCOAT,,
As you can see, the Lax Incense is the first item that shows up there, which I suspect is what is causing the problem. I've also removed Sunkern from the game, so I don't know why that's being ignored but the item isn't, but whatever.

What does btpokemon.txt do? I can't find any reference to it in the notes. It looks like it's a list of pokémon to be used in the Battle Tower, but I can't see where it is implemented in the game (there's Battle Palace and Battle Arena but no Battle Tower).

I assume I can just remove btpokemon.txt and it'll work.

Trikeboy
October 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
What does btpokemon.txt do? I can't find any reference to it in the notes. It looks like it's a list of pokémon to be used in the Battle Tower, but I can't see where it is implemented in the game (there's Battle Palace and Battle Arena but no Battle Tower).

btpokemon.txt is for the battle tower that comes with the starter kit as a default map. It is under MAP013.

Maruno
October 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
btpokemon.txt is for the battle tower that comes with the starter kit as a default map. It is under MAP013.
I meant I can't find it in the scripts.

But I deleted btpokemon.txt and it works fine. I doubt I'll be including the Battle Tower in my game anyway (I don't even know how it works - I've never gone into it in the real games).

Now to add in all the new items' effects.

The Smell
October 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Glad to see you've sorted out the problem! I suppose if you do end up wanting Battle Tower you can just re-copy the file from the Starter Kit. What btpokemon.txt looks after is the Pokémon that the bttrainers.txt trainers can be assigned randomly. ;)

JAYGOLD
October 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
does this work on rpg toolkit?

Fraot
October 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I meant I can't find it in the scripts.

But I deleted btpokemon.txt and it works fine. I doubt I'll be including the Battle Tower in my game anyway (I don't even know how it works - I've never gone into it in the real games).

Now to add in all the new items' effects.

That file is compiled in order to be used in-game. It's like the pokémon data, you won't see a line about "BULBASAUR" at the scripts. I think you should keep that file there, otherwise the game will try to compile something that doesn't exist; unless you know how to remove the exact line where the battle tower script is.
And about your item, I think the wrong thing is that you're keeping that item on the items.txt, don't you? If you do, then remove it from that file. And don't forget to reestablish the number count(lets say the Lax Incese is the number 153 and the next item is the Bright Powder which is 154, then, the Bright Powder will be the number 153, did you get it?)

And just to let you know... some things are not on the scripts because they're complied, like the Phone, you WONT see a line about the phone dialogs on the scripts.

JAYGOLD
October 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
whats the key for rpg maker xp?

lx_theo
October 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
whats the key for rpg maker xp?

Key? do you mean the individual key each person gets when they buy the software so that they don't have a thirty day limit? Cause if thats what you mean, and I can't think of anything else, then you'd have to buy the software to get one you could use.

robie392
October 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Key? do you mean the individual key each person gets when they buy the software so that they don't have a thirty day limit? Cause if thats what you mean, and I can't think of anything else, then you'd have to buy the software to get one you could use.

or you could use your "imagination" ...ahem but i say it is worth every penny so just buy it.

Wichu
October 20th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I discovered the sunny weather in this starter kit. It is weather type 4! Why it isn't in notes?

Poccil only covered the scripts he made in the notes. The sunny weather script was by me; he just forgot to edit the description into the notes when he added it to the main starter kit :)

Maruno
October 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM
That file is compiled in order to be used in-game. It's like the pokémon data, you won't see a line about "BULBASAUR" at the scripts. I think you should keep that file there, otherwise the game will try to compile something that doesn't exist; unless you know how to remove the exact line where the battle tower script is.
And about your item, I think the wrong thing is that you're keeping that item on the items.txt, don't you? If you do, then remove it from that file. And don't forget to reestablish the number count(lets say the Lax Incese is the number 153 and the next item is the Bright Powder which is 154, then, the Bright Powder will be the number 153, did you get it?)

And just to let you know... some things are not on the scripts because they're complied, like the Phone, you WONT see a line about the phone dialogs on the scripts.
I looked at the script that compiles btpokemon.txt, and it only tried to compile it if it exists. Therefore it still works fine if it's not there. Also, I've already deleted it and it works, so that's some more proof.

I think you're also a little confused about my circumstances. I had deleted the item from my items.txt (in fact I pretty much made my own items.txt, so I could mor easily fiddle with it in future). The deleted item was still being referenced by btpokemon.txt, which is what was causing my problem. It's been resolved now.

Also, you're allowed to have gaps between item numbers (e.g. items 101, 102, 145, 146, etc. in numerical order). The original Essentials has several of these gaps.

My problem's solved, end of story. Don't worry about it.

Am I the only one who thinks some kind of Wiki would be useful for Essentials? More comprehensive documentation, handy hints, FAQs, etc.

JAYGOLD
October 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
how do i get rid of grey spots around buildings?

lx_theo
October 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM
how do i get rid of grey spots around buildings?

Well there's two possible problems I can think of

1. You are putting the buildings on the first layer, put them on the 2nd or 3rd if you are.

2. You need to make the background transparent, you can do this with the import part of materials.

The Smell
October 22nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
Whenever I get to the left side of one of my maps, I get this error message...

Pokémon: Nature's Gift
Exception: NoMethodError

Interpreter:883:in `command_116'

Interpreter:334:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Game_Event_:230:in `update'

Game_Map_:305:in `update'

Game_Map_:303:in `each'

Game_Map_:303:in `update'

Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

OK

Anyone know why?

The Dewitty
October 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM
Message: undefined method `setBitmap' for #<SpriteWrapper:0x74b03f0>
PokemonEditor:1084:in `refresh'
PokemonEditor:879:in `pbListScreenBlock'
PokemonEditor:874:in `loop'
PokemonEditor:899:in `pbListScreenBlock'
PokemonEditor:2919:in `pbTrainerTypeEditor'
EditorMain:58:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:58:in `pbFadeOutIn'
EditorMain:58:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:26:in `loop'
EditorMain:97:in `pbEditorMenu'

I was trying to add some trainers.
But when I got in the editor with the trainer stuff i got this.'
Help!

The Smell
October 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
Yeah, that's a bug with the latest build. Just do it manually in PBS/trainernames.txt and PBS/trainers.txt. ;)

Klofkac
October 22nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
Can I get to my tilesset movable things like dive water or more flowers without autotiles? Or can I add more of ten autotiles?

Maruno
October 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Can I get to my tilesset movable things like dive water or more flowers without autotiles? Or can I add more of ten autotiles?
No, autotiles are the only way (without using events) to have an animated part of the map. You can have a maximum of 7 autotiles per tileset (i.e. per map).

You can instead create character sheets of whatever you want to be animated, and make an event with that character sheet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

I want to use formatted text (i.e. centred and coloured text) on the main screen of the Pokédex (where the list is), but I'm not sure how. Help would be appreciated.

The end result should be that I have the currently selected pokémon's species name displayed in a different part of the screen (yes, as well as in the list), centre aligned within a box (which is part of the background), and also the pokémon's type icons displayed below it.

I've already done this in the species summary page, by using the "overlay" SpriteWrapper and pushing the stylised text into it with pbDrawTextPositions. The problem is, "overlay" doesn't seem to be visible on the main Dex screen (list), regardless of what I try, so this approach doesn't work here.

Thanks for any help.

poccil
October 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
The window that displays the Pokedex list is named Window_Pokedex. Its refresh method contains the code that draws the text on the list. It draws the text on a bitmap named "self.contents". I hope this helps.

Fraot
October 22nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Oh my gosh!!! Poccil replied!! Epic, since he's a myth now(not everyone is sure that he exists).

The Smell
October 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Whenever I get to the left side of one of my maps, I get this error message...

Pokémon: Nature's Gift

Interpreter:883:in `command_116'

Interpreter:334:in `execute_command'

Game_Event_:230:in `update'

Game_Map_:305:in `update'

Game_Map_:303:in `each'

Game_Map_:303:in `update'

Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

OK

Anyone know why?

I'm just reposting this problem. Got knocked off since we are on a new page.

1ninjadude1701
October 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
how do i use pokemon roaming script in a event

Nyu~♥!
October 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
ninjadude, I think if you read the script comments it may say how, or you can just search.

Hey guys, and thanks Maruno. Now i know how to script hold items, but I still don't know what line to put it on.

BIG PROBLEM - I just downloaded the new PokéStarter. (October 22 2009) Thing is, it automatically seeks the original pokestarter and goes in. Sadly, I don't know how to set it back. I mean, it starts acting like the first time you download it. Like the text issue and the 'test map"

And Maruno, I tried adding a script to PokeBattle_Move.
This one, to line 142 and ending on 144:

if opponent.item==PBItems::ILLUSIONGEM
accuracy=(accuracy*60/100).floor
end

i tried to start it with "game" since it didn't want to use the maps that our team added, but I got this:

Pokémon Opal
Script 'PokeBattle_Move' line 142: NameError occurred.
undefined local variable or method `opponent' for PokeBattle_Move:Class
OK

Please help! >_<"

poccil
October 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
kitsukitty:

It seems that you put the code in the wrong place. This is how that code should correctly be placed:

accuracy=(accuracy*95/100).floor
end
if isConst?(opponent.item,PBItems,:ILLUSIONGEM)
end
return [email protected](100)<accuracy
end

Also, the startup behavior is due to the fact that I renamed the fonts used in Pokemon Essentials. You should reinstall them manually.

Nyu~♥!
October 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Whoa! A response by the one an only poccil! 0_0
*autograph paper*

XD jk.

lemme see..

ah, it seems to have worked.
This is what I ended with, starting from line 137 and ending at 145:
if opponent.item==PBItems::LAXINCENSE
end
if isConst?(opponent.item,PBItems,:ILLUSIONGEM)
end
return 1+@battl[email protected](100)<accuracy
end
Thank you very much, poccil! Oh, but I still don't know how to add the latest updates to my game without making it start over like that! _._"
Please help, somone.

Fraot
October 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Weird... I don't know where do all of you get those updated kits... I'm satisfied with the one I downloaded on December 2008. Also, I don't get where do you see the link.
Anyway, I wanted help from the legendary poccil about my move effect.
Lemme look for it and re-post it later. That move is supposed to summon the Fog weather, I already created that weather indeed. Now, it also appears on the editor menu and stuff, and obviously a map can has that weather by deffault. But that move effect just don't work, when a battle(wild or trainer) begins, an error appears trying to tell me that the variable PokeBattle_Moveffects number 115 is not initialized, well, I'm not sure if that's the name because I can't see the scripts at this very moment since I'm not at home right now. I got that script from mad.array's Peddap and the last move effect is 114: Charge Beam.

You should know that I've already made some effects and I didn't know if they worked on battle, now I know they don't because they are not initialized... they SHOULD be because my effects are alittle bit alike to some other moves' SO... there shouldn't be any problem.

ultron90
October 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM
can anyone help with this?

Exception: RuntimeError
Section102:91:in `initialize'LoadLibrary: rubyscreen.dll

***Full script:
pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("I enjoyed it."),false,0)
Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
PokemonSystem:91:in `new'
PokemonSystem:91:in `pbScreenCapture'
PokemonSystem:122:in `update'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1107:in `pbInputUpdate'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1203:in `pbDisplayPausedMessage'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1201:in `loop'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1216:in `pbDisplayPausedMessage'
PokeBattle_Battle:2317:in `pbDisplayPaused'
PokeBattle_Battle:648:in `pbStartBattleCore'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:789:in `command_111'
Interpreter:322:in `execute_command'
Scene_Map:100:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
Scene_Map:111:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'

it happens when i try to tak a screen shot of a battle

1ninjadude1701
October 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
ninjadude, I think if you read the script comments it may say how, or you can just search.

Hey guys, and thanks Maruno. Now i know how to script hold items, but I still don't know what line to put it on.

BIG PROBLEM - I just downloaded the new PokéStarter. (October 22 2009) Thing is, it automatically seeks the original pokestarter and goes in. Sadly, I don't know how to set it back. I mean, it starts acting like the first time you download it. Like the text issue and the 'test map"

And Maruno, I tried adding a script to PokeBattle_Move.
This one, to line 142 and ending on 144:

if opponent.item==PBItems::ILLUSIONGEM
end

i tried to start it with "game" since it didn't want to use the maps that our team added, but I got this:

Pokémon Opal
Script 'PokeBattle_Move' line 142: NameError occurred.
undefined local variable or method `opponent' for PokeBattle_Move:Class
OK

Please help! >_<"
well what comments? i looked but there is no comments

Nyu~♥!
October 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM
well what comments? i looked but there is no comments

The comments in PokemonRoaming. You might have to so something like Set.PokemonRoaming(I have no idea, so don't bother using that).

Any thing with the # sign in front of it is a COMMENT. They're always colored green.

can anyone help with this?
it happens when i try to tak a screen shot of a battle

I have no idea... I think there's something wrong with the .dll file. You didn't edit it, did you?
Are you sure that you're pressing the right keys? I don't know if Pokéstarter has a shortcut key(F1, for example) to take screens. If there is one, and you are using it, I suggest you try to use your Computer's. I've never had this issue before.

i'll repost my quote for help:

maaddogg
October 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
hello,i am making a quick stat menu where you could press a button and the stats of all your pokemon would come up with a picture as the background that i have already put into the game but you can still see the map.

Problem:
i have no idea how to draw the hp bar and level of the pokemon.
(if you dont understand then i will try to clear i up as much as possible)

disturbedfan98
October 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
im making my own game. i cant figure out how to get my game plot and stuff posted. if anyone can help me figure this out, much thanx will be obliged.

Ongekibou
October 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
So, does Choice Band not work, or is it just me?

Wichu
October 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
So, does Choice Band not work, or is it just me?

There was a glitch related to Choice Band. But I think it was fixed at some point... Are you using the latest version?

SageRaziel
October 25th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ok, I'm somewhat new to Pokemon Essentials and I don't know how to script. I need to make a few changed in my game and don't know how to do so. I'll list all the things I want to change. Please, someone post the script along with instructions and tips on how to use it and it's effects. Just be sure to tell me which of my topics you are posting on. Thanks in advance.

1.) I want to have more than one region in my game, so I need the World Map to automatically change when a new region is entered. Sorta like in Crystal Version.
2.) Since there are more than one region there will be more than eight badges. I need to know how to make it so that I can have more badges appear on my Trainer Card.
3.) I want to make it so that level 100 is not the highest level you can obtain on a Pokemon. I would like level 200 to be the new highest level available.
4.) My game lags pretty bad. Why is this? If there a script, or process to stop this. I really want my game to run as smooth as possible.
5.) Just by looking at the PBSPokemon.txt file I can't tell if my version of Pokemon Essentials has all the new Pokemon Evolutions set up. It has all the new Pokemon, but when I look at Eevee's entry it doesn't say that it evolves to Glaceon, and Leafeon. Do I add this myself?

That's it for now. Thanks so very much for helping me out. I'll post more questions if I come across any issues I need help on.

Ongekibou
October 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
There was a glitch related to Choice Band. But I think it was fixed at some point... Are you using the latest version?

I most certainly am. Doesn't work at all.

Wichu
October 25th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hmm... Do you get any errors or anything? Or does it just let you use a different move to what you used last anyway?

SageRaziel
October 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok I've completed the demo, and begun creating my own Pokemon game. Now that I've seen more of what Pokemon Essentials can do I've come up with a few more questions.
1.) How do I make night and day visible? It looks like day all the time as of now...
2.) I love the Triple Tiad game. How can set individual cards as prizes for winning battles, contests, or as items to be found? I would also like to set up shops that sell individual cards that I choose. ex...A shop that only sells Water Type cards. Plus I'd like to know how the set up in the demo with the Triple Triad works. What does he mean catch more Pokemon to have him sell new cards? What all cards are there anyway?
3.)The other mini game where the player fights another player. How do I set that one up? Also I'd like to increase both the players and the opponents HP as the game progresses. Like the defult is 10HP. Say you find a particular item that increases it to 11HP and so on. Plus I'd like the enemies to get harder as the game progresses.

Sorry for so many questions....It's just I can't seem to find the answers in the notes section, this forum, or google. I'm going to refrain from asking any more questions until some of these get answered. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

ryushin5
October 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hello there ok I have problem, I create an event so that the hero will be able to get there first starter pokemon but for some reason every time I go up to get the pokemon I get this error.
http://i38.tinypic.com/24qpmco.jpg

can someone help me?

Nyu~♥!
October 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hello there ok I have problem, I create an event so that the hero will be able to get there first starter pokemon but for some reason every time I go up to get the pokemon I get this error.
http://i38.tinypic.com/24qpmco.jpg

can someone help me?

I've gotten this before... I think. This is the error that I saw. I hope I got it right..?
You need to do it EXACTLY as the notes say. So it should be:

Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
PBSpecies::CYNDAQUIL,20
)

So yes, you need to press enter after the '(' and one after the 'CYNDAQUIL,20'. And THEN put the ')'
Annoying, I know, but there's probably a reason to it's madness. XD Tell me if that works.. or else I got the wrong error. Usually it gives a different error for this one.

That MIGHT be an error, but what it's seeking is something else, I think.

ryushin5
October 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I don't believe it has anything do with the event because it was working before but all of a sudden that error started popping up. I will try though to see if it works.
EDIT: Nope it has nothing to do with the event I still get the same error.

Atomic Reactor
October 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Alright, i have a slight problem...
I downloaded the Oct 22nd kit, just to be up to date. And it says i need to install the fonts. Then it says they installed automatically and asks to restart. So i let it.
Fonts still aren't working.
So I try to do it manually, so i copy the fonts, and paste them into my comps font folder. But they don't show up as they are named? Like pkmndp shows up asl ike.. Power Green or something. Stuff like that, and the fonts still don;t show up in the game.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? :(

Ongekibou
October 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hmm... Do you get any errors or anything? Or does it just let you use a different move to what you used last anyway?

Let's me use a different move.

Soul.//Silver
October 27th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I still can't seem to find where in PokeBattle_ActualScene that you edit the Y Coordinates of the Enemy Pokemon, the last person (no offense) wasn't really that helpful in trying to help me. (In my take on it, he pretty much said to keep searching). Also, I need to know how I can edit the XY of the Player HP bar WITHOUT the Enemy HP bar moving (which it does every time I try changing the XY of the Player HP bar).

Ravecat
October 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Is it possible to place a map (or maps) completely within another map?

Apparently it worked, and then failed when it was reproduced later.

StormRuler
October 27th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Hi there.
I was just wondering but when i go to "OPTIONS" and choose the font is it normal that they are all the same except FRLG.
Here is an example.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/4049338151_9225853980_m.jpg

See how the font of the word "FONT STYLE" dosen't change whether it's on R/S or DP.

ultron90
October 27th, 2009, 06:07 AM

PokemonSystem:91:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:66:in `main'
Scene_Map:64:in `loop'
Scene_Map:71:in `main'
Main:56:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:31:in `mainFunction'
Main:31:in `pbCriticalCode'

PokemonSystem:91:in `initialize'
PokemonLoad:35:in `pbChoose'
PokemonLoad:33:in `loop'
PokemonLoad:42:in `pbChoose'
PokemonLoad:305:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:304:in `loop'
PokemonLoad:406:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

can someone help?i cant take screenshots

Maruno
October 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
The window that displays the Pokedex list is named Window_Pokedex. Its refresh method contains the code that draws the text on the list. It draws the text on a bitmap named "self.contents". I hope this helps.
Sorry, it doesn't help much. Window_Pokedex just displays the list, which means it doesn't display other things like the seen/own numbers. What I wanted to do was display those seen/own numbers in coloured/centre aligned text, as well as display another piece of text (which just happens to be the name of the pokémon) and the pokémon's type icons. I want to leave the list itself alone, because it's fine as is.

I'm using Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize to display the seen/own numbers at the moment, but they can't be coloured/centre aligned. I've tried using the "overlay" SpriteWrapper, and making a new SpriteWrapper, but they just don't display anything. I think ideally I just want a SpriteWrapper covering half the screen, into which I can put what I want (I can do that), but I can't seem to define one properly.

hello,i am making a quick stat menu where you could press a button and the stats of all your pokemon would come up with a picture as the background that i have already put into the game but you can still see the map.

Problem:
i have no idea how to draw the hp bar and level of the pokemon.
(if you dont understand then i will try to clear i up as much as possible)
There are a number of places where HP bars and EXP bars are displayed. The Party screen, the pokémon summary screens, the battle screens, etc. I'd suggest looking at the pokémon summary screen, because that's the simplest one to look at.

Basically, a HP bar is a box of a particular colour, which is made to be 6 pixels high and X pixels wide, where X is the health of the pokémon (as a proportion of the maximum width of the bar).

As for the level, that's just text. That's easy to place.

How are you making this quick stat menu? I would suggest copying the PokéGear's main menu and then editing it, because it's very simple to understand. Why make something from scratch when you can just copy-paste something that already works?

Ok I've completed the demo, and begun creating my own Pokemon game. Now that I've seen more of what Pokemon Essentials can do I've come up with a few more questions.
1.) How do I make night and day visible? It looks like day all the time as of now...
2.) I love the Triple Tiad game. How can set individual cards as prizes for winning battles, contests, or as items to be found? I would also like to set up shops that sell individual cards that I choose. ex...A shop that only sells Water Type cards. Plus I'd like to know how the set up in the demo with the Triple Triad works. What does he mean catch more Pokemon to have him sell new cards? What all cards are there anyway?
3.)The other mini game where the player fights another player. How do I set that one up? Also I'd like to increase both the players and the opponents HP as the game progresses. Like the defult is 10HP. Say you find a particular item that increases it to 11HP and so on. Plus I'd like the enemies to get harder as the game progresses.

Sorry for so many questions....It's just I can't seem to find the answers in the notes section, this forum, or google. I'm going to refrain from asking any more questions until some of these get answered. Thanks in advance for helping me out.
1) Have you set the maps' metadata to Outside? If the game thinks the maps are indoor maps, then they'll always be the same brightness. The day/night lighting is active by default (but only for outdoor maps).

2 & 3) Don't know. I haven't looked at the mini-games, and probably won't. The reason you can't find much about them is probably because they're only mini-games.

~JV~
October 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
@Maruno: Check around line 273 at the pokedex script in essentials. Look out for this line:

"@sprites["infowindow"]=Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize("",0,160,160,160,@viewport)"

I haven't tested anything but I'm sure it controls both coordinates and the size of the box. I don't know about making the text colored though, maybe check the pokemonload script?

Atomic Reactor
October 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Alright, I don;t mean ti repeat myself, but this problem has now become quite the issue.
Cause now, Anytime i try to type on Paint, it shuts down the program...
Is anyone else having problems with the text?

It keeps saying the the text isnt installed, then it says it installed, and it restarts... but then it still says it isnt installed.

So i tried it manually, still didnt help.
When i paste the fonts in, they show up as some other font. With like a different name.

So i tried deleting those, then using old fonts from previous kits.
And i pasted the old ones into the current game as well

Still having the same problems...

Can someone please help me :(

Luke128th
October 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Alright, this was asked in page 185, but no answer was posted.

I've changed the resolution of my game to DS resolution. Now I need to set the map up so that it only appears in the "top screen". Where in the scripts should I go to do this?

Maruno
October 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
@Maruno: Check around line 273 at the pokedex script in essentials. Look out for this line:

"@sprites["infowindow"]=Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize("",0,160,160,160,@viewport)"

I haven't tested anything but I'm sure it controls both coordinates and the size of the box. I don't know about making the text colored though, maybe check the pokemonload script?
That's exactly what I'm using at the moment. All I want is to be able to centre align the text and to specify the main/shadow colours.

Now, I did think about resizing the Window_Pokedex, to make it full-screen, and to put in other bits of text and pictures in it (I definitely know pictures can be put into this, but I don't know about fancy text). However, I would then need to delimit the length of the list itself, so that it wouldn't be the entire height of the window. There are a few lines that include the number dheight, which seems important for this (e.g. dheight=self.height-32), and fiddling those numbers seems rather tricky, but before I start messing around with that I'd like to know if that's the direction I should be headed. Specifically, can I display fancy text in the Window_Pokedex, and will other text/pictures displayed somewhere other than in Window_Pokedex (e.g. the pokémon sprite, @sprites["icon"]) be displayed properly (as opposed to overwritten by the Window_Pokedex or something)?

SageRaziel
October 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry, it doesn't help much. Window_Pokedex just displays the list, which means it doesn't display other things like the seen/own numbers. What I wanted to do was display those seen/own numbers in coloured/centre aligned text, as well as display another piece of text (which just happens to be the name of the pokémon) and the pokémon's type icons. I want to leave the list itself alone, because it's fine as is.

I'm using Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize to display the seen/own numbers at the moment, but they can't be coloured/centre aligned. I've tried using the "overlay" SpriteWrapper, and making a new SpriteWrapper, but they just don't display anything. I think ideally I just want a SpriteWrapper covering half the screen, into which I can put what I want (I can do that), but I can't seem to define one properly.

There are a number of places where HP bars and EXP bars are displayed. The Party screen, the pokémon summary screens, the battle screens, etc. I'd suggest looking at the pokémon summary screen, because that's the simplest one to look at.

Basically, a HP bar is a box of a particular colour, which is made to be 6 pixels high and X pixels wide, where X is the health of the pokémon (as a proportion of the maximum width of the bar).

As for the level, that's just text. That's easy to place.

How are you making this quick stat menu? I would suggest copying the PokéGear's main menu and then editing it, because it's very simple to understand. Why make something from scratch when you can just copy-paste something that already works?

1) Have you set the maps' metadata to Outside? If the game thinks the maps are indoor maps, then they'll always be the same brightness. The day/night lighting is active by default (but only for outdoor maps).

2 & 3) Don't know. I haven't looked at the mini-games, and probably won't. The reason you can't find much about them is probably because they're only mini-games.

Thank you for answering my questions. Um, by the way the meta data fix worked. Thanks.

Soul.//Silver
October 28th, 2009, 12:29 AM
REPOST:
I still can't seem to find where in PokeBattle_ActualScene that you edit the Y Coordinates of the Enemy Pokemon, the last person (no offense) wasn't really that helpful in trying to help me. (In my take on it, he pretty much said to keep searching). Also, I need to know how I can edit the XY of the Player HP bar WITHOUT the Enemy HP bar moving (which it does every time I try changing the XY of the Player HP bar).

Death Strike
October 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Can't you just edit BattlerEnemyY in the PBS/pokemon.txt file?
I'm not sure though...

Antonisme
October 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Hi there! I have tried to use this kit, and it works. But, noob as I am, I am not really got at it. Is there any good tutorials/guides who explains a lot? I have searched Youtube and found a little, but I want help with following:

* I have tried to put in new charcters, but it always fails. O_o Anyone help me?
* All this scripting. What is it, and how do I use it? (Super NOOB)
* Can you change Bags and Boxes? How?

That's all now. Hehe, call me noob if you want, but I need to start somewere =D

Death Strike
October 28th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Antonisme - NOOB! jkjk
Here:
For new characters, go to the editor and go to Set Metadata. Then go to Global and edit the Player A's sprites. Player A is the male character, while B is the female. Look in the notes.html provided in the kit for more info!

I'm a beginner too, so I don't really have the right to call you that.

Antonisme
October 28th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hehe, thank you. Now, It's my turn:

Minions123 - NOOB! xD

|Maximus|
October 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Alright, I don;t mean ti repeat myself, but this problem has now become quite the issue.
Cause now, Anytime i try to type on Paint, it shuts down the program...
Is anyone else having problems with the text?

It keeps saying the the text isnt installed, then it says it installed, and it restarts... but then it still says it isnt installed.

So i tried it manually, still didnt help.
When i paste the fonts in, they show up as some other font. With like a different name.

So i tried deleting those, then using old fonts from previous kits.
And i pasted the old ones into the current game as well

Still having the same problems...

Can someone please help me :(

Yeah, I get that same problem. Anyone?

thepsynergist
October 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
So, has anyone tried to script the game corner mini game, or is that what the Triple Triad was for, because, I would really like the game corner, if I could get my hands on a script.

BallisticBlastoise
October 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I want to script my first simple event after the intro the screen. Is there anyone I could pm my ideas to and I get some direction on how to script this event?

Fraot
October 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have just a little question...
Why do the BGS doesn't play on the maps? I mean, I wanted to add a wind sound on a beach, you know, a sound of tidals and stuff, but I can't hear any BGS, is this normal or something is wrong? On my Non-pokemon RPG game from RMXP this doesn't happen, I mean, the BGS's always sounds.

BTW: I had to put an edited mp3 on Audacity as background music with that sound, it's too heavy... 7MB? yes 7MB

Klofkac
October 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Isn't it happening, because BGS has low volume? BGS and SE has originally 80% volume. Or is it looping? It can play once...

Fraot
October 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Well, I did set the volume to 100 and a BGS is supposed to loop, and even more if it's an .ogg. I'll try a combination of many things.

Klofkac
October 30th, 2009, 05:17 AM
OGG? Hmm... ... ... ... Yes! RGSS doesn't support ogg vorbis!

Antonisme
October 30th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Hi again! It's me, the noob! :/

This time I have a nooby question, I want to put in new trainer sprites, but when I look at Internet for some they are in wrong order. Can anyone help me? I can put a example if you want. There are two there, one is an already existing trainer sprite and one with 2 sorts of sprites. Anyone can give me some help or just some tips? =]

Fraot
October 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM
OGG? Hmm... ... ... ... Yes! RGSS doesn't support ogg vorbis!

What the?!... a normal RPG game has only ogg files as bgs and they do sound! I don't know what's wrong but I know the rmxp supports those files.

Patrick1463
October 31st, 2009, 07:04 AM
Is it possible to animate the pokemon sprites in battles and in the summary screen, like in pokemon emerald?
I would love it, if I could do this in my game. ^^

It would be very nice, if someone could help me. :)

Shikamaru88
October 31st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I get that same problem. Anyone?

If you have vista open the menu and type fonts into the search, one folder should pop up then find and download the fonts from the internet and add the fonts your trying to add in there next time you try to use paint it should work, if not let me know...

ayevdayev
October 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM
In the editor I have seen that Pokemon Essentials has a touch screen script in it. I want to use that script on things like battling, the options menu, the bag, and the mart. How do I use this script?

Shikamaru88
October 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
In the editor I have seen that Pokemon Essentials has a touch screen script in it. I want to use that script on things like battling, the options menu, the bag, and the mart. How do I use this script?

My advice learn to script/use Ruby...

Nosman
November 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
When i start my game up i get this message: One or more fonts used in this game do not exist in the system. The game can be played, but the look of the games text will not be optimal. The game will now install the necessary fonts. The font "Power Green Narrow" could not be instaled. The font "Power Green Small" could not be instaled. The font "Power Red and Blue" could not be instaled. The font "Power Clear" could not be instaled. The font "Power Red and Green" could not be instaled.

How do i fix this?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Don't worry I fixed it.

Nyu~♥!
November 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I need a lot of help, guys. I want to learn how to make advanced scripting for pokestarter... I'm making a little feature for my game.. so I'm scared to announce it.. I don't think anyone has done this before. This is what I've done with the help of my scripter so far:

class DualScreen_Scene < SpriteWindow_Selectable
def initialize
super(480, 320, 480, 320)
self.contents = Bitmap.new(width - 32, height - 32)# this shows we want to show a new bitmap
self.contents.font.name (http://self.contents.font.name/) = $fontface#defines the font
self.contents.font.size = $fontsize#defines the font size
self.contents.font.color = normal_color# defines the font colour
refresh
end #method
def refresh#defines refresh
self.contents.draw_text(4,4,120,32,"Look! Text")#this draws the text(x, y, width, height
for i in 0...$game_party.actors.size#shows the actors sprite within the window
x = i * 32 + 4#deinfes size and X co-ordinates
y = 32#defines Y co-ordinates
class Battle_SystemLesson
def ram
@ram = attack
if @ ram
calc. battle damage
if defense<offense
def battle damage
@battle damage = difference.offense.defense
end
end
class battle_systemlesson
def wingshield
@wingshield = defense
if @ wingshield
calc. battle damage
if defense offense
def batlle damage
battle damage=difference.offense.defense
end
end
end
end
end
#this is an example of a global variable
#These can be called anywhere in the editor at anytime
begin
def hello
@hello = "hello"
if input.trigger != INPUT:
'p' "hello"
if else
end
@hello = $hello
end
end
end

Please seek out errors for me. What I really need is a page for instructions and help on scripting for pokestarter, especially battle systems!! When I tried to run the game with this script, it said the battle_systemlesson was a syntax error. SO i guess that's not a valid command! *whump* My scripter also said that after implementing the battle system I would need to work with an AI. Please help me out! Sorry to be a noobish sounding person!

venom12
November 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Hi i have little problem with my Dual Screen in Battle System. I change this lines but still dont know why that cut half of my second screen.

if @viewport.rect.y>Graphics.height/16
@viewport.rect.y-=4
@viewport.rect.height+=8
elsif @viewport.rect.y>2
@viewport.rect.y-=8
@viewport.rect.height+=16
end

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss319/venom12314/screenerror3.png

Fraot
November 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hey you! your problem is: you're not an admin on your PC. You must be an admin in order to install those fonts, otherwise... well, you wont be able to do it. But they're just fonts.

Uhhmmm, I already noticed your "I fixed it", well, ignore this if you want.

Maruno
November 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I need a lot of help, guys. I want to learn how to make advanced scripting for pokestarter... I'm making a little feature for my game.. so I'm scared to announce it.. I don't think anyone has done this before. This is what I've done with the help of my scripter so far:

class DualScreen_Scene < SpriteWindow_Selectable

def initialize
super(480, 320, 480, 320)
self.contents = Bitmap.new(width - 32, height - 32)# this shows we want to show a new bitmap
self.contents.font.name (http://self.contents.font.name/) = $fontface#defines the font
self.contents.font.size = $fontsize#defines the font size
self.contents.font.color = normal_color# defines the font colour
refresh
end #method

def refresh#defines refresh
self.contents.draw_text(4,4,120,32,"Look! Text")#this draws the text(x, y, width, height

def ram
@ram = attack
if @ ram
calc. battle damage
if defense<offense
def battle damage
@battle damage = difference.offense.defense
end

end

def wingshield
@wingshield = defense
if @ wingshield
calc. battle damage
if defense offense
def batlle damage
battle damage=difference.offense.defense
end
end
end

end

end
#this is an example of a global variable
#These can be called anywhere in the editor at anytime
begin
def hello
@hello = "hello"
if input.trigger != INPUT:
'p' "hello"
if else
end
@hello = $hello
end
end
endPlease seek out errors for me. What I really need is a page for instructions and help on scripting for pokestarter, especially battle systems!! When I tried to run the game with this script, it said the battle_systemlesson was a syntax error. SO i guess that's not a valid command! *whump* My scripter also said that after implementing the battle system I would need to work with an AI. Please help me out! Sorry to be a noobish sounding person!
I've helpfully spaced out your code and coloured it in, so we can all see more clearly what you've been writing. Blue are individual defs, orange are class startings/endings, and the red at the end is just weird stuff that I don't know what's going on with it.

Your syntax error is being caused by a missing "end" at the end of the first class (just before Battle_SystemLesson with capitals is started). Because it's missing, the first class is never closed, and it doesn't recognise any new classes you want to add in after it.

In scripting, it's always a really good idea to lay the code out so you can easily see what's going on. That's why lines inside "if...else" statements are indented (as you've done) - they would technically work just as well if they weren't, but the code wouldn't be as easy to read.

Wichu
November 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Also, RGSS class and variable names are case-sensitive, and all class names must start with a capital letter. So I'm guessing this line:
should be:

StormRuler
November 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hi. I'm using Pocci's starter kit.
Whenever i make a trainer battle with my own trainer type i made and start the battle this error occurs.
It says something about a cinstant variable not being initialized.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2785/4078001671_1aaf2212b7.jpg
I'm not that good at scripting so I'm not sure what it's about.

Nyu~♥!
November 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I've helpfully spaced out your code and coloured it in, so we can all see more clearly what you've been writing. Blue are individual defs, orange are class startings/endings, and the red at the end is just weird stuff that I don't know what's going on with it.

Your syntax error is being caused by a missing "end" at the end of the first class (just before Battle_SystemLesson with capitals is started). Because it's missing, the first class is never closed, and it doesn't recognise any new classes you want to add in after it.

In scripting, it's always a really good idea to lay the code out so you can easily see what's going on. That's why lines inside "if...else" statements are indented (as you've done) - they would technically work just as well if they weren't, but the code wouldn't be as easy to read.

Ah! Thank you so much Maruno. You're so much help!
The last thingies were to teach me stuff. I never really understood, though.

Also, RGSS class and variable names are case-sensitive, and all class names must start with a capital letter. So I'm guessing this line:
class battle_systemlessonshould be:

I had a feeling that was it. I wish it wasn't case sensitive. Though I'm sure there's a great reason for it! Ok! If anyone knows anything about a guide for scripting, please tell me! I'll probably be back soon for more help! XD

erg, it still says syntax error. The line is now 21 - i bumped it up a little to save a little space. I guess Battle_SystemLesson isn't really a class. :/ My scripter taught me wrong! <_< Oh well.

We were using Battle_SystemLesson to define a attack and defense move in a special feature/contest for the game. I really need help with battle sytems! >_<"

Wichu
November 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
You still have missing 'end's in your script. In between
and
there should be 3 'end's. You've also duplicated these lines:

However, looking through your code a bit more thoroughly, it seems your problem is that you don't actually know RGSS :\
For example, your variable names have got spaces in, you're referring to nonexistent variables, you're trying to define methods within methods (you're probably not trying to do that, but that's what the interpreter's going to think)... Have you had a look through some tutorials? You should learn the basics of scripting and how the Essentials battle system works before jumping straight in...

Fraot
November 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hey guys! I don't know exactly if this question goes here but since is about RMXP and the essentials kit, I think I'm not wrong.

Well, my question is:
Is there a way to play musics like on Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie? If some of you have played those games, then, you already know what am I talking about, if not... well, I'll explain.

Lets say you composed two(or more) midis, but those have different instruments(same tempo, same notes and keys), in other words the same midi but with different instruments. This would be for changing the music style depending on the map you are. And for example: You're walking on Route 1 and the Route 1 music is played with a happy style, but when you reach Viridian City, the music changes to urban style but its still the same music as Route 1; so, the music changes but without starting from the beginning again.

Ahem! My english is not so good, so I can't explain this better, but in addition, I want to play the musics of my maps like on Banjo-Kazooie. Did you get me?

SageRaziel
November 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I've figured out most of the questions I posted earlier with help from other people. There are only a few questions left. Which are;
1.) How do I edit the Radio/Ipod so that only music I want to appear on there does so. I don't want all the music in the game to appear there.
2.) How do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over the entire world map? Also how do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over pre-selected maps?
3.) How do I set up a legendary battle? The type where the legendary appears as an overworld sprite, the players walks up and taps "A" to begin the battle.
4.) Anyone know the script to set up contests? Functionable contests that is...
5.) I have noticed that all the new Pokemon are present in the game, but I've also noticed the new evolutions aren't entered in the PBSPokemon files. Should I enter these evolutions in manually myself, or are they entered already?

Shikamaru88
November 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
1.) How do I edit the Radio/Ipod so that only music I want to appear on there does so. I don't want all the music in the game to appear there. Its in the PBS folder i believe
2.) How do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over the entire world map? Also how do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over pre-selected maps? Read the notes
3.) How do I set up a legendary battle? The type where the legendary appears as an overworld sprite, the players walks up and taps "A" to begin the battle. Just like you would put an NPC on the map but make it a pokemon OW Sprite and start a trainer battle...
4.) Anyone know the script to set up contests? Functionable contests that is... I dunno
5.) I have noticed that all the new Pokemon are present in the game, but I've also noticed the new evolutions aren't entered in the PBSPokemon files. Should I enter these evolutions in manually myself, or are they entered already? They should be entered if not you have to enter them yourself if you want the pokemon to evolve

Nyu~♥!
November 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
You still have missing 'end's in your script. In between
y = 32#defines Y co-ordinatesand
class Battle_SystemLessonthere should be 3 'end's. You've also duplicated these lines:
However, looking through your code a bit more thoroughly, it seems your problem is that you don't actually know RGSS :\
For example, your variable names have got spaces in, you're referring to nonexistent variables, you're trying to define methods within methods (you're probably not trying to do that, but that's what the interpreter's going to think)... Have you had a look through some tutorials? You should learn the basics of scripting and how the Essentials battle system works before jumping straight in...

yeah.. I said I didn't know how to script and I was looking for some help.. I'd need a basic page <---- stupid..

XD

yeah, I need the basics. Sorry to be an idiot. <_<'
But rememeber I didn't write this myself, so I had no idea what was going on. He was trying to tell me what this stuff meant, but like many first times... I didn't get it much. Please give me a link to basics or something. Especially one that works for RGSS. I've searched, but I just don't get it... I guess i'm just not an RGSS person. :/

SageRaziel
November 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thank you Shikamaru. I've checked the notes for the roaming Pokemon by the way. I couldn't find it are you sure it's there? Also setting up a Pokemon OW Event...If I did it that way wouldn't it be uncatchable? I also wanted to know how to set it so Pokemon wouldn't stop growing at level 100. I want my new max level to be 999. Of course no player will ever train one to that level, but it ensures they can always level up so my game doesn't get boring even after you beat the Elite Four. Thanks agian Shikamaru.

~Sage Raziel

NOTE: I checked the PBS Folder for the Ipod/Radio editor...I didn't see it so either I don't have it, or it's not in the correct place.

Teej20
November 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched the thread, and Google, and found nothing.

When I try to open my Pokedex, I get this error:

Message: undefined local variable or method `center' for #<Window_Pokedex:0x9cd1538>
PokemonPokedex:62:in `refresh'
PokemonPokedex:45:in `each'
PokemonPokedex:45:in `refresh'
PokemonPokedex:21:in `commands='
PokemonPokedex:412:in `pbRefreshDexList'
PokemonPokedex:295:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonPokedex:873:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Then the game crashes. I did add one custom Pokemon to the game, and I'm pretty sure I imported it correctly when I applied the October 22 2009 update. But the error never appeared before I installed the update...

raziell
November 7th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Thx...................................

StormRuler
November 7th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Sorry im posting again, but my last question wasn't answered.

Hi. I'm using Pocci's starter kit.
Whenever i make a trainer battle with my own trainer type i made and start the battle this error occurs.
It says something about a cinstant variable not being initialized.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2785/4078001671_1aaf2212b7.jpg
I'm not that good at scripting so I'm not sure what it's about.

Maruno
November 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thank you Shikamaru. I've checked the notes for the roaming Pokemon by the way. I couldn't find it are you sure it's there? Also setting up a Pokemon OW Event...If I did it that way wouldn't it be uncatchable? I also wanted to know how to set it so Pokemon wouldn't stop growing at level 100. I want my new max level to be 999. Of course no player will ever train one to that level, but it ensures they can always level up so my game doesn't get boring even after you beat the Elite Four. Thanks agian Shikamaru.

~Sage Raziel

NOTE: I checked the PBS Folder for the Ipod/Radio editor...I didn't see it so either I don't have it, or it's not in the correct place.
There are also notes in the scripts themselves. See PokemonRoaming, and right at the top are some comments for how you define both the switch to activate/deactivate the roamer and the way the roamers move around (each map leads to one or more other maps). This question has been answered several times previously, so thanks for bothering to search through the thread and not waste our time.

There is a script that spawns a wild pokémon encounter. Create an event with the pokémon's overworld sprite, put that script in it (with an optional "RAAR!" message beforehand) and it'll be fine.

You can make the level limit be whatever you want. Look in PBExperience, line 67. But recall how long it takes to get from level 99 to level 100 (it only gets longer from then on, too), and bear in mind that unless your game is infinitely long and interesting throughout, people won't play long enough to realise you've changed the level limit. Unless you do something drastically different to levelling up.

Sorry im posting again, but my last question wasn't answered.
Looks like you haven't defined "RIVAL" as a trainer type.

StormRuler
November 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thx so much.
That bug has been bugging my for days

SageRaziel
November 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks Maruno. btw My game include Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and two custom regions. Which is why I wanted to increase the max level. I understand that it gets harder to level up, which is why the level curve of enemy trainers also slows. Now when you say PB it's not the PBS folder apparently, cause there is no folder for it. I'm assuming I open RPG Maker and go to the script section...But thank you for your help. Sorry about asking a question that's been answered. I attempted to search the thread but I guess I missed it somewhere. Sorry.

Marin52
November 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Can I get some help with scripts? I would like 1st pokemon in party to follow player around like in hgss, but I have no idea how to do it. Help, please...

gsorby
November 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hi! I need some help. When any pokemon or trainer battle starts, it flashes gray a couple of times before executing the transition.. I've looked through the scripts and I can't seem to find something to stop it. Could anybody tell me where I go in the scripts so I can change this so I can stop it flashing altogether? Can you PM me on how to do this?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Nosman
November 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have this error come up when i test my gym script in the game can someone pleaz help me

Pokemon

(eval) : 1 :in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock,"Brock",_I("I took you for granted, and so I lost. As proof of your victory, I confer on you this. The official Pokémon League Boulderbadge."))

Interpreter:789:in `eval'

OK

Klofkac
November 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Can I get some help with scripts? I would like 1st pokemon in party to follow player around like in hgss, but I have no idea how to do it. Help, please...This script is popular a lot! I'm trying to do this script...

Maruno
November 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Maruno. btw My game include Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and two custom regions. Which is why I wanted to increase the max level. I understand that it gets harder to level up, which is why the level curve of enemy trainers also slows. Now when you say PB it's not the PBS folder apparently, cause there is no folder for it. I'm assuming I open RPG Maker and go to the script section...But thank you for your help. Sorry about asking a question that's been answered. I attempted to search the thread but I guess I missed it somewhere. Sorry.
Open the RPG Maker XP editor, and press F11. You get the scripts window, with each section in a list on the left. Somewhere in there are the sections PokemonRoaming (towards the bottom) and PBExperience (just above the PokeBattle_SomethingSomething ones).

Good luck with that mega-game you're planning. Greater men and women than you have yet to complete games with just one region, but don't let that put you off. Half a mega-game is still more than half a one region game.

I have this error come up when i test my gym script in the game can someone pleaz help me

Pokemon

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock,"Brock",_I("I took you for granted, and so I lost. As proof of your victory, I confer on you this. The official Pokémon League Boulderbadge."))

OK
You appear to have the same problem that was answered on the very same page you asked. You haven't defined the trainer type "LEADER_Brock". If you think you have, check the spelling and capitalisation.

Nosman
November 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
You appear to have the same problem that was answered on the very same page you asked. You haven't defined the trainer type "LEADER_Brock". If you think you have, check the spelling and capitalisation.

I have defined the trainer type "LEADER_Brock" and the spelling and capitalization is all the same. I did this all before i posted. Thats the reason I did post because I don't know whats wrong. If some can help me fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

Pokemon

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock,"Brock",_I("I took you for granted, and so I lost."))

Here is the event script:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/951/16283389.jpg

Luka S.J.
November 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I have defined the trainer type "LEADER_Brock" and the spelling and capitalization is all the same. I did this all before i posted. Thats the reason I did post because I don't know whats wrong. If some can help me fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

Pokemon

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock,"Brock",_I("I took you for granted, and so I lost."))

Here is the event script:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/951/16283389.jpg

Ahhhh...I think this question has been answered like a billion of times. You can't just create the trainer in the editor, and then try to call it with an event. The data still won't be transfered. That's why the editor has a little function called compile data which does exactly that. You need to compile data after using the editor, because some things won't be processed automatically.

Soul.//Silver
November 9th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Can someone tell me whats wrong with this script? I placed it below Luka S.J.'s battlebg/enemybase/playerbase script that he made a while ago. The battlebg, enemybase and playerbase work fine. But the Audio part won't work. The battle just uses the default wild battle music.
if $pbspecies="KYOGRE"
battlebg="Graphics/Pictures/battlebg8.png"
enemybase="Graphics/Pictures/enemybase8.png"
playerbase="Graphics/Pictures/playerbase8.png"
Audio.se_play("Audio/BGM/VS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza.mid")
end

Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. The if $pbspecies="KYOGRE" was completely guessed, I didn't even think it would work xD, but it did =D. So if any is trying to make something happen or whatever for only a certain Pokemon. Then "if $pbspecies=" " is where you should start lol

Luka S.J.
November 9th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Can someone tell me whats wrong with this script? I placed it below Luka S.J.'s battlebg/enemybase/playerbase script that he made a while ago. The battlebg, enemybase and playerbase work fine. But the Audio part won't work. The battle just uses the default wild battle music.
if $pbspecies="KYOGRE"
battlebg="Graphics/Pictures/battlebg8.png"
enemybase="Graphics/Pictures/enemybase8.png"
playerbase="Graphics/Pictures/playerbase8.png"
Audio.se_play("Audio/BGM/VS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza.mid")
end

Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. The if $pbspecies="KYOGRE" was completely guessed, I didn't even think it would work xD, but it did =D. So if any is trying to make something happen or whatever for only a certain Pokemon. Then "if $pbspecies=" " is where you should start lol

It is giving you the error because you made a scripting paradox. If you tel is to "Audio.se_play" you are telling it to play a sound effect, which makes it browse for the file in the SE folder. what you should do is Audio.bgm_play("VS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza.mid"). You dont need to type in the file directory, otherwise it is going to search for the directory inside the directory.

Anyways...that's not how you are supposed to play the BGM inside scripts. Just change the BGM using the event function. That's the easiest, because the method you are using is not right.

EDIT: I really recommend doing just the "Change Battle BGM" in the event editor and also in the event editor, go to "Script" and type "$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack=8", that is the easiest way, and doesnt require any scripting. What I've done for the script is if you want to add more automatic terrain battlebgs. You could also do that by just typing "id=whatever" for any of the specified terrains.

Wichu
November 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
It is giving you the error because you made a scripting paradox. If you tel is to "Audio.se_play" you are telling it to play a sound effect, which makes it browse for the file in the SE folder. what you should do is Audio.bgm_play("VS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza.mid"). You dont need to type in the file directory, otherwise it is going to search for the directory inside the directory.

Anyways...that's not how you are supposed to play the BGM inside scripts. Just change the BGM using the event function. That's the easiest, because the method you are using is not right.

EDIT: I really recommend doing just the "Change Battle BGM" in the event editor and also in the event editor, go to "Script" and type "$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack=8", that is the easiest way, and doesnt require any scripting. What I've done for the script is if you want to add more automatic terrain battlebgs. You could also do that by just typing "id=whatever" for any of the specified terrains.

The branch should be 'if @battle.battlers[1].species==PBSpecies::KYOGRE', I believe.

SageRaziel
November 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thank you Maruno! Your the first one to actually be polite to me on here. I mean tons of other people have helped me but they made me feel more like a burden than a person. I know I can create this game, if only I can get the help when I need it. I admit I am kinda newbish at RPGMakerXP, but I've been thinking and planning this game for years. Trust me it'll be a great game. And as soon as I can I'll post some info on it. I've decided to call it Pokemon Chrome: Overworld. Currently I've hit a snag on Route 2. There is a trainer there who wishes to trade a Mr. Mime for the players Abra. I read the noted and found the section on In-Game Trades. I even looked at the example in the demo. I set up my trade and play-tested it. It gave me an error sign and the demo closed. So any chance someone could explain how to make an in-game trade? The notes weren't to helpful cause he gave very little detail on that topic. Here is the info for the trade.
Player Pokemon= Abra
CPU Pokemon= Mr. Mime
CPU Pkmn Nickname= No Nickname (Mr. Mime)

Thanks in advance, and a special thanks to Maruno for his support.

~Sage Raziel

Soul.//Silver
November 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I fixed the Audio.bgm_play but when I was about to post saying I fixed that. Pokecommunity went down (for me anyway). And the reason I'm doing it that way is because the Change BGM never works for me, or the change battle background.

Maruno
November 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you Maruno! Your the first one to actually be polite to me on here. I mean tons of other people have helped me but they made me feel more like a burden than a person. I know I can create this game, if only I can get the help when I need it. I admit I am kinda newbish at RPGMakerXP, but I've been thinking and planning this game for years. Trust me it'll be a great game. And as soon as I can I'll post some info on it. I've decided to call it Pokemon Chrome: Overworld. Currently I've hit a snag on Route 2. There is a trainer there who wishes to trade a Mr. Mime for the players Abra. I read the noted and found the section on In-Game Trades. I even looked at the example in the demo. I set up my trade and play-tested it. It gave me an error sign and the demo closed. So any chance someone could explain how to make an in-game trade? The notes weren't to helpful cause he gave very little detail on that topic. Here is the info for the trade.
Player Pokemon= Abra
CPU Pokemon= Mr. Mime
CPU Pkmn Nickname= No Nickname (Mr. Mime)

Thanks in advance, and a special thanks to Maruno for his support.

~Sage Raziel
It'd be nice to see what scripts you've typed in to try to make this trade. All I can say at the moment is to read the notes, because in-game trades are explained there.

pbChoosePokemon(1,2,
proc {|poke|
!poke.egg? and
poke.species==PBSpecies::ABRA
})

pbStartTrade(
$game_variables[1],
PBSpecies::MR_MIME,
"MR. MIME",
"DAVE"
)

Something like that.

Soul.//Silver
November 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
This is what I have the change battle bgm in BUT...it never works.
@>Change Battle BGM:'VS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza',100,100
@>Play SE:'382Cry',80,100
@>Set Move Route: [Kyogre]
: :$>Through ON
: :$>Change Speed: 2
: :$>Move Down
: :$>Wait: 15 frame(s)
@>Wait for Move's Completion
@>Script: pbWildBattle(382,50)
@>
I would really like to know why this doesn't work, everyone has said to "just use Change BGM to change the Battle BGM" but it just refuses to work.

~JV~
November 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
@>
I would really like to know why this doesn't work, everyone has said to "just use Change BGM to change the Battle BGM" but it just refuses to work.

Well, I had this problem too, to solve it , I added the change BGM command in the beggining, in the middle and right before the battle event.

PokeMaster Marin
November 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
@>

Well...go to line 535 (or somewhere around that) in PokemonUtilities and you should see something like this.
def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species)
if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM
return $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM.clone
end
wildbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataWildBattleBGM)
if wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
wildbgm="002-Battle02.mid"
end
return pbStringToAudioFile(wildbgm)
end
Now...I think the problem could be that you are missing the
end
code. If that is the case, just copy this and then try to change the battle bgm again, and I think it should work. If that doesn't work you could always go about editing that part of the script and do something like
end
if "whatever condition you want"
wildbgm="your song"
elsif wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
end
That is the proper way of changing the battle bgm using scripts and not making it load another music within the battlebg and other commands.

SageRaziel
November 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Okay dokie, Maruno. I read the section in the notes, but didn't get it. So I looked at the example in the demo. Then I copy/pasted it to my trade event. Next I simply changed the Pokemon names. Now that you've given me the correct code, I can compare what I wrote with what I should've wrote. Thanks again man. Btw, it appears that I wrote MR.MIME instead of MR._MIME. Thank you for the help. Where would I post a demo once I get it ready?

BallisticBlastoise
November 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Need some help.

I'm trying to start a new game but the screen is just black and nothing is showing up. It works fine when I continue a game though.

Soul.//Silver
November 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Well, I had this problem too, to solve it , I added the change BGM command in the beggining, in the middle and right before the battle event.
It didn't work for me.

Well...go to line 535 (or somewhere around that) in PokemonUtilities and you should see something like this.
end
if wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
end
end
Now...I think the problem could be that you are missing the
end
code. If that is the case, just copy this and then try to change the battle bgm again, and I think it should work. If that doesn't work you could always go about editing that part of the script and do something like
end
if "whatever condition you want"
wildbgm="your song"
elsif wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
end
That is the proper way of changing the battle bgm using scripts and not making it load another music within the battlebg and other commands.
Nope, tried that. Still not working. This is really driving me nuts lol, I got the battlebg etc to work, but when it comes to the BGM....ugh.

Teej
November 11th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hey, all. I'm not much at RGSS or Ruby, so I'm pretty much incapable of fixing this myself. I know I already asked, but I was never replied to...

Whenever I open my Pokedex, I get this error:

---------------------------------
Message: undefined local variable or method `center' for #<Window_Pokedex:0x9cd1538>
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using the most recent version of Pokemon Essentials, so I'm confuzzled. Any help? Please?

Soul.//Silver
November 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
How do I edit the Encounter chances limit in the Encounters Editor? What I mean is right now it displays 20,20,10,10,10,10,5,5,4,4,1,1 but I want it to display 100,95,90...all the way down to 5. Where would I edit that in the scripts? I've already edited PokemonMap lines 288-300 so it has those encounter chance %'s.
I just want to make it more flexible, meaning having more choices for encounter chance.

Klofkac
November 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
You can use it: 2 times add to 20 and add one to 5 and encounter chance will be 45%. OR 4*10 + 4 = 44% chance etc

maaddogg
November 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM
how do i change the color of the text in battle to white?
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z247/v5000/problem.png

Soul.//Silver
November 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
You can use it: 2 times add to 20 and add one to 5 and encounter chance will be 45%. OR 4*10 + 4 = 44% chance etc

I'm sorry but I don't really get what you mean. I'm asking where in the Scripts do I edit to change the maximum Encounter Chances for the Encounter Editor.

BallisticBlastoise
November 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Can anyone post the original pokegear script. I'm playing around with mine and screwed up it lol.

Klofkac
November 13th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I'm sorry but I don't really get what you mean. I'm asking where in the Scripts do I edit to change the maximum Encounter Chances for the Encounter Editor.
I don't know.
But original game make custom encounters by making same species and leven and then count up all. example: rattata lv 2-4 to 20,20,10,10 and then in-game chance is 60%.

Maruno
November 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Can anyone post the original pokegear script. I'm playing around with mine and screwed up it lol.
#==============================================================================
# - Scene_Pokegear
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
# Also Modified By OblivionMew
#==============================================================================
class Scene_Pokegear
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# initialize
def initialize(menu_index = 0)
@menu_index = menu_index
end
# main
def main

# Main Menu settings you can add or change these
commands=[
_INTL("Map"),
_INTL("Radio"),
_INTL("Phone"),
_INTL("Exit")
]
@command_window = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
@command_window.index = @menu_index
@command_window.x = (Graphics.width - @command_window.width) - 8
@command_window.y = 640
@card = GifSprite.new
@card.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/Pokegearback")
@card.x = 0
@card.y = 0

@map_icon = Sprite.new
@map_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("mapicon")
@map_icon.x = 0
@map_icon.y = 57
@button_up = Sprite.new
@button_up.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonunp")
@button_up.x = 320
@button_up.y = 80
@button_down = Sprite.new
@button_down.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonunp")
@button_down.x = 320
@button_down.y = 165
@arr_icon=AnimatedSprite.create("Graphics/Pictures/selarr.png",8,1)
@arr_icon.x = 60
@arr_icon.y = 57
@arr_icon.start
@radio_icon = Sprite.new
@radio_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("radicon")
@radio_icon.x = 0
@radio_icon.y = 109
@arr_icon.z=99999
@phone_icon = Sprite.new
@phone_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("phonicon")
@phone_icon.x = 0
@phone_icon.y = 161

@exit_icon = Sprite.new
@exit_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("exicon")
@exit_icon.x = 0
@exit_icon.y = 265

@trainer = Sprite.new
@trainer.x = 360
@trainer.y = 80
@trainer.zoom_x = 1.0
@trainer.zoom_y = 1.0
@trainer.z = 99999
@trainer.bitmap = RPG::Cache.character(
sprintf("trainer%03d.png",$Trainer.trainertype),0
)
@info = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@info.height = Graphics.height / 4 + 16
@info.width = Graphics.width / 2 + 74
@info.x = 160
@info.y = Graphics.height - @info.height
@info.z = 99999
@info.letterbyletter=false
@target_window = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@target_window.visible = false
@target_window.active = false
@target_window.letterbyletter=false
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
@target_window.dispose
Graphics.freeze
@command_window.dispose
@trainer.dispose
@card.bitmap.dispose
@info.dispose
@arr_icon.dispose
@map_icon.dispose
@phone_icon.dispose
@radio_icon.dispose
@exit_icon.dispose
@button_up.dispose
@button_down.dispose
end
# update the scene
def update
@arr_icon.update
@command_window.update
@info.update
if Input.press?(Input::UP)
@button_up.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonp")
else
@button_up.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonunp")
end

if Input.press?(Input::DOWN)
@button_down.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonp")
else
@button_down.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonunp")
end
case @command_window.index
when 0
@map_icon.x = 32
@phone_icon.x = 0
@radio_icon.x = 0
@exit_icon.x = 0
@arr_icon.y=57
when 1
@map_icon.x = 0
@phone_icon.x = 0
@radio_icon.x = 32
@exit_icon.x = 0
@arr_icon.y=109
when 2
@map_icon.x = 0
@phone_icon.x = 32
@radio_icon.x = 0
@exit_icon.x = 0
@arr_icon.y=161
when 3
@map_icon.x = 0
@phone_icon.x = 0
@radio_icon.x = 0
@exit_icon.x = 32
@arr_icon.y=265

end
#update command window and the info if it's active
if @command_window.active
update_command
update_info
return
end

end
# update the command window
def update_command
if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
$game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end

if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
when 0
$game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
scene=PokemonRegionMapScene.new
screen=PokemonRegionMap.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen
}
when 1
$scene = Scene_Jukebox.new
when 2
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
PokemonPhoneScene.new.start
}
when 3
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
def update_info
when 0
@info.text=_INTL("A Map\r\nShows visited Places.")
when 1
@info.text=_INTL("A Radio\r\nUsed to listen to Music.")
when 2
@info.text=_INTL("A Phone\r\nUsed to call People.")
when 3
@info.text=_INTL("Closes the PokeGear and returns to the game.")
end
end
end

Nyu~♥!
November 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hey guys.. I know I asked this earlier, but no one answered, so bear with me...
I'm looking for basics on pokestarter advanced scripting. I already know how to make simple scripts, it's a bit easy.. :/

I just need a link.. I've tried searching but I can't seem to find much of 'basics' especially for pokestarter.
What I really want to find out how to do is making Input scripts and Timers.. I'd tell you my idea but I'm scared of getting it stolen.

BallisticBlastoise
November 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I tried using the Pokegear but I got this error:

Exception: Arguement Error
Pokegear: 31 in 'initialize'
Pokegear: 31 in 'new'
Pokegear: 31 in 'main'
Main: 44 in 'mainFunctionDebug'
Main: 23 in 'mainfunction'
Main: 23 in 'pbCriticalCode'
Main:51
Main: 50 in loop
Main:59

What's going on? Looks like a whole new language and I can't begin to comphrend whats going on.

Maruno
November 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks! I tried using the Pokegear but I got this error:

Exception: Arguement Error
Pokegear: 31 in 'initialize'
Pokegear: 31 in 'new'
Pokegear: 31 in 'main'
Main: 44 in 'mainFunctionDebug'
Main: 23 in 'pbCriticalCode'
Main:51
Main: 50 in loop
Main:59

What's going on? Looks like a whole new language and I can't begin to comphrend whats going on.
The error occurs because the scripts I gave you were from a few versions back, before poccil started messing with displaying pictures. An oversight on my part.

Here's the fix. Remove all the lines in red and replace them with the ones in blue.
- @command_window = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
- @command_window.index = @menu_index
- @command_window.x = (Graphics.width - @command_window.width) - 8
- @command_window.y = 640
- @card = GifSprite.new
- @card.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/Pokegearback")
- @card.x = 0
- @card.y = 0
- @map_icon = Sprite.new
- @map_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("mapicon")
- @map_icon.x = 0
- @map_icon.y = 57
- @button_up = Sprite.new
- @button_up.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonunp")
- @button_up.x = 320
- @button_up.y = 80
- @button_down = Sprite.new
- @button_down.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("buttonunp")
- @button_down.x = 320
- @button_down.y = 165
- @arr_icon=AnimatedSprite.create("Graphics/Pictures/selarr.png",8,1)
- @arr_icon.x = 60
- @arr_icon.y = 57
- @arr_icon.start
- @radio_icon = Sprite.new
- @radio_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("radicon")
- @radio_icon.x = 0
- @radio_icon.y = 109
- @arr_icon.z=99999
- @phone_icon = Sprite.new
- @phone_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("phonicon")
- @phone_icon.x = 0
- @phone_icon.y = 161
- @exit_icon = Sprite.new
- @exit_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("exicon")
- @exit_icon.x = 0
- @exit_icon.y = 265
- @trainer = Sprite.new
- @trainer.x = 360
- @trainer.y = 80
- @trainer.zoom_x = 1.0
- @trainer.zoom_y = 1.0
- @trainer.z = 99999
- @trainer.bitmap = RPG::Cache.character(
- sprintf("trainer%03d.png",$Trainer.trainertype),0
- )
- @info = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
- @info.height = Graphics.height / 4 + 16
- @info.width = Graphics.width / 2 + 74
- @info.x = 160
- @info.y = Graphics.height - @info.height
- @info.z = 99999
- @info.letterbyletter=false
- @target_window = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
- @target_window.visible = false
- @target_window.active = false
- @target_window.letterbyletter=false
+ @sprites={}
+ @sprites["command_window"] = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
+ @sprites["command_window"].index = @menu_index
+ @sprites["command_window"].x = (Graphics.width - @sprites["command_window"].width) - 8
+ @sprites["command_window"].y = 640
+ @sprites["card"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
+ @sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/Pokegearback")
+ @sprites["map_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,57)
+ @sprites["map_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/mapicon")
+ @sprites["button_up"] = IconSprite.new(320,80)
+ @sprites["button_up"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonunp")
+ @sprites["button_down"] = IconSprite.new(320,165)
+ @sprites["button_down"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonunp")
+ @sprites["arr_icon"]=AnimatedSprite.create("Graphics/Pictures/selarr",8,1)
+ @sprites["arr_icon"].x = 60
+ @sprites["arr_icon"].y = 57
+ @sprites["arr_icon"].z=99999
+ @sprites["arr_icon"].start
+ @sprites["radio_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,109)
+ @sprites["radio_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/radicon")
+ @sprites["phone_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,161)
+ @sprites["phone_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/phonicon")
+ @sprites["exit_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,265)
+ @sprites["exit_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/exicon")
+ @sprites["trainer"] = IconSprite.new(360,80)
+ @sprites["trainer"].setBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Characters/trainer%03d",$Trainer.trainertype))
+ @sprites["trainer"].z = 99999
+ @sprites["info"] = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
+ @sprites["info"].height = Graphics.height / 4 + 16
+ @sprites["info"].width = Graphics.width / 2 + 74
+ @sprites["info"].x = 160
+ @sprites["info"].y = Graphics.height - @sprites["info"].height
+ @sprites["info"].z = 99999
+ @sprites["info"].letterbyletter=false
Graphics.transition

- @target_window.dispose
Graphics.freeze
- @command_window.dispose
- @trainer.dispose
- @card.bitmap.dispose
- @info.dispose
- @arr_icon.dispose
- @map_icon.dispose
- @phone_icon.dispose
- @radio_icon.dispose
- @exit_icon.dispose
- @button_up.dispose
- @button_down.dispose
+ pbDisposeSpriteHash(@sprites)

BallisticBlastoise
November 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
The old error's gone but now there's a new one:

Exception: No Method Error
Pokegear:40:in 'main'
Main:44 in mainFunctionDebug
Main 23 in mainFunction
Main 23 in pbCriticalCode
Main 23 in mainFunction
Main 51
Main 50 in loop
Main 59

Maruno
November 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
The old error's gone but now there's a new one:

Exception: No Method Error
Pokegear:40:in 'main'
Main:44 in mainFunctionDebug
Main 23 in mainFunction
Main 23 in pbCriticalCode
Main 23 in mainFunction
Main 51
Main 50 in loop
Main 59
It doesn't know how to handle animated sprites, it seems. I recall there was a bit of a problem with them before. I don't know how to fix it, though; I'm not using a newer version of Essentials (as I said).

My advice is to look through a fresh copy of whatever version of Essentials you're using, and see what's going on. It's always sensible to keep a clean copy of whichever version you're using around, in case one changes the code too much. Personally, I quote out any line of code I change and put the changed code next to it, so I could theoretically (not that I ever will, of course) revert all the code back to its original version. It may make things a little messy, but I never make mistakes I can't easily fix.

BallisticBlastoise
November 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks trying to help though. I'll definitely look around.

Klofkac
November 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Can I somehow change the "Sample Region" text show somewhwere else and only rectangle with name (not panel)? My map is here and most down city isn't visible in game.

MarkLegault
November 15th, 2009, 03:01 AM
The download doesn't work

hiddenessence
November 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Im using what I believe is the latest pokemon essentials starterkit and am trying to figure things out before I begin making a game.

I use the "$Trainer.pokedex=true" to give the pokedex to the player like it says in the notes, but when i try to use it i get this error.

Pokemon Essentials

Message: undefined local variable or method `center' for #<Window_Pokedex:0x9afc6b0>

OK

I know some other people are having the same problem from viewing their posts, but after digging I didn't see any answers...

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Or if not how to fix it, could someone post the script for a pokedex that works in PokemonEssentials?

BallisticBlastoise
November 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure how to help but you could try this pokedex script and see if it works:

class Window_Pokedex < SpriteWindow_Selectable
attr_reader :baseColor
attr_reader :shadowColor
def initialize(x,y,width,height)
@starting=true
super(x,y,width,height)
@selarrow=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/selarrow.png")
@pokeball=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/pokeball.png")
@baseColor=Color.new(9<<3,9<<3,9<<3)
@shadowColor=Color.new(26<<3,26<<3,26<<3)
self.index=0
@commands=[]
@item_max=0
@starting=false
refresh
end
def commands=(value)
@commands=value
refresh
end
def dispose
@selarrow.dispose
@pokeball.dispose
super
end
def species
return @commands.length==0 ? 0 : @commands[self.index][0]
end
def refresh
return if @starting
@item_max=@commands.length
dheight=self.height-32
dwidth=self.width-32
if !self.contents || self.contents.disposed? ||
self.contents.height<dheight || self.contents.width<dwidth
self.contents.dispose if self.contents
self.contents=Bitmap.new([1,dwidth].max,[1,dheight].max)
pbSetSystemFont(self.contents)
end
self.contents.clear
contentsWidth=self.contents.width
ypos=0
for i in 0...@item_max
if i<self.top_row || i>self.top_row+self.page_row_max
next
end
pbCopyBitmap(self.contents,@selarrow,0,ypos) if self.index==i
species=@commands[i][0]
if $Trainer.seen[species]
j=self.top_row
if $Trainer.owned[species]
pbCopyBitmap(self.contents,@pokeball,210,(i-j)*32)
end
text=_ISPRINTF("No.{1:03d} {2:s}",@commands[i][0],@commands[i][1])
else
text=_ISPRINTF("No.{1:03d} ----------",@commands[i][0])
end
self.contents.font.color=@shadowColor
pbDrawShadow(self.contents,16,ypos,self.contents.width-16,32,text)
self.contents.font.color=@baseColor
self.contents.draw_text(16,ypos,self.contents.width-16,32,text)
ypos+=32
end
end
def update
dorefresh=false
oldindex=self.index
super
dorefresh=(self.index!=oldindex)
refresh if dorefresh
end
end

class Window_ComplexCommandPokemon < SpriteWindow_Selectable
attr_reader :baseColor
attr_reader :shadowColor
attr_reader :commands
def getAutoDims(commands,dims,width=nil)
windowheight=commands.length*32+32
windowheight=33 if windowheight<33
if !width || width<0
width=0
tmpbitmap=Bitmap.new(1,1)
pbSetSystemFont(tmpbitmap)
for i in commands
width=[width,tmpbitmap.text_size(i).width].max
end
width+=64
tmpbitmap.dispose
else
width=[33,width].max
end
dims[0]=width
dims[1]=windowheight
end
def initialize(commands,width=nil)
@starting=true
@commands=commands
dims=[]
getAutoDims(commands,dims,width)
super(0,0,dims[0],dims[1])
@item_max=commands.length
@selarrow=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/selarrow.png")
@index=0
self.active=true
@baseColor=Color.new(12*8,12*8,12*8)
@shadowColor=Color.new(26*8,26*8,25*8)
refresh
@starting=false
end
def self.newEmpty(x,y,width,height,viewport=nil)
ret=self.new([],width)
ret.x=x
ret.y=y
ret.width=width
ret.height=height
ret.viewport=viewport
return ret
end
def index=(value)
super
refresh if !@starting
end
def indexToCommand(index)
curindex=0
i=0; loop do break unless i<@commands.length
return [i/2,-1] if index==curindex
curindex+=1
return [i/2,index-curindex] if index-curindex<commands[i+1].length
curindex+=commands[i+1].length
i+=2
end
return [-1,-1]
end
def getText(array,index)
cmd=indexToCommand(index)
return "" if cmd[0]==-1
return array[cmd[0]*2] if cmd[1]<0
return array[cmd[0]*2+1][cmd[1]]
end
def commands=(value)
@commands=value
@item_max=commands.length
self.index=self.index
end
def width=(value)
super
if !@starting
self.index=self.index
end
end
def height=(value)
super
if !@starting
self.index=self.index
end
end
def resizeToFit(commands)
dims=[]
getAutoDims(commands,dims)
self.width=dims[0]
self.height=dims[1]
end
def dispose
@selarrow.dispose
super
end
def baseColor=(value)
@baseColor=value
refresh
end
def shadowColor=(value)
@shadowColor=value
refresh
end
def refresh
dwidth=self.width-32
dheight=self.height-32
@item_max=0
@item_max+=1+@commands[i+1].length
i+=2
end
if !self.contents || self.contents.disposed? ||
self.contents.width<dwidth ||
self.contents.height<dheight
self.contents.dispose if self.contents
self.contents=Bitmap.new([1,dwidth].max,[1,dheight].max)
pbSetSystemFont(self.contents)
end
self.contents.clear
contentsWidth=self.contents.width
ypos=0
icommand=0
if icommand>=self.top_row && icommand<self.top_row+self.page_row_max
self.contents.font.color=self.shadowColor
pbDrawShadow(self.contents,0,ypos,contentsWidth,32,@commands[i])
self.contents.font.color=self.baseColor
self.contents.draw_text(0,ypos,contentsWidth,32,@commands[i])
ypos+=32
end
icommand+=1
for j in 0...@commands[i+1].length
if icommand>=self.top_row && icommand<self.top_row+self.page_row_max
pbCopyBitmap(self.contents,@selarrow,0,ypos) if self.index==icommand
self.contents.font.color=self.shadowColor
pbDrawShadow(self.contents,16,ypos,contentsWidth-16,32,@commands[i+1][j])
self.contents.font.color=self.baseColor
self.contents.draw_text(16,ypos,contentsWidth-16,32,@commands[i+1][j])
ypos+=32
end
icommand+=1
end
i+=2
end
end
def update
oldindex=self.index
super
refresh if self.index!=oldindex
end
end

class PokemonPokedexScene

def setIconBitmap(file)
@sprites["icon"].setBitmap(file)
if @sprites["icon"].bitmap
@sprites["icon"].ox=@sprites["icon"].bitmap.width/2
@sprites["icon"].oy=@sprites["icon"].bitmap.height/2
end
end

def pbStartScene
@sprites={}
@viewport=Viewport.new(0,0,Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
@viewport.z=99999
@sprites["pokedex"]=Window_Pokedex.new(
160,0,Graphics.width-160,Graphics.height)
@sprites["pokedex"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["dexentry"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["dexentry"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/dexentry.png")
@sprites["dexentry"].visible=false
@sprites["overlay"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap=Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
pbSetSystemFont(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap)
@sprites["overlay"].x=0
@sprites["overlay"].y=0
@sprites["overlay"].visible=false
@sprites["iconback"]=IconWindow.new(0,0,160,160)
@sprites["iconback"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["auxlist"]=Window_CommandPokemon.newEmpty(272,0,208,224,@viewport)
@sprites["searchlist"]=Window_ComplexCommandPokemon.newEmpty(0,0,272,224,@viewport)
@sprites["infowindow"]=Window_SimpleTextPokemon.newWithSize("",0,160,160,160,@viewport)
@sprites["messagebox"]=Window_SimpleTextPokemon.new("")
pbBottomLeftLines(@sprites["messagebox"],2)
@sprites["messagebox"].letterbyletter=false
@sprites["messagebox"].visible=false
@sprites["messagebox"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["auxlist"].visible=false
@sprites["searchlist"].visible=false
addBackgroundPlane(@sprites,"searchbg","searchbg.png",@viewport)
addBackgroundPlane(@sprites,"background","pokedexbg.png",@viewport)
@sprites["searchbg"].visible=false
@sprites["icon"]=IconSprite.new(80,80,@viewport)
@searchResults=false
pbRefreshDexList($PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex)
pbFadeInAndShow(@sprites)
end

def pbDexSearchCommands(commands,selitem,helptexts=nil)
ret=-1
auxlist=@sprites["auxlist"]
messagebox=@sprites["messagebox"]
auxlist.commands=commands
auxlist.index=selitem
messagebox.text=helptexts ? helptexts[auxlist.index] : ""
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
oldindex=auxlist.index
auxlist.update
if auxlist.index!=oldindex && helptexts
messagebox.text=helptexts[auxlist.index]
end
ret=selitem
break
end
ret=auxlist.index
break
end
end
@sprites["auxlist"].commands=[]
Input.update
return ret
end

def pbCanAddForModeList?(mode,species)
case mode
when 0
return true
when 1
return $Trainer.seen[species]
when 2, 3, 4, 5
return $Trainer.owned[species]
end
end

def pbCanAddForModeSearch?(mode,species)
case mode
when 0, 1
return $Trainer.seen[species]
when 2, 3, 4, 5
return $Trainer.owned[species]
end
end

def pbRefreshDexList(index=0)
dexlist=[]
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
for i in 1..PBSpecies.getCount
if pbCanAddForModeList?($PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode,i)
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,i,33)
height=dexdata.fgetw
weight=dexdata.fgetw
dexlist.push([i,PBSpecies.getName(i),height,weight])
end
end
dexdata.close
case $PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode
when 0 # Numerical mode
i=0; loop do break unless i<dexlist.length
break if $Trainer.seen[dexlist[i][0]]
dexlist[i]=nil
i+=1
end
i=dexlist.length-1; loop do break unless i>=0
break if !dexlist[i] || $Trainer.seen[dexlist[i][0]]
dexlist[i]=nil
i-=1
end
dexlist.compact!
when 1 # Alphabetical mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[1]<=>b[1]}
when 2 # Heaviest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[3]<=>a[3]}
when 3 # Lightest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[3]<=>b[3]}
when 4 # Tallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[2]<=>a[2]}
when 5 # Smallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[2]<=>b[2]}
end
if !@searchResults
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_ISPRINTF("SEEN: {1:d}\r\nOWN: {2:d}\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH",$Trainer.pokedexSeen,$Trainer.pokedexOwned)
else
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_INTL("X: BACK\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH")
end
@dexlist=dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].commands=@dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].index=index
@sprites["pokedex"].refresh
iconspecies=@sprites["pokedex"].species
iconspecies=0 if !$Trainer.seen[iconspecies]
setIconBitmap(pbPokemonBitmapFile(iconspecies,false))
end

def pbSearchDexList(params)
dexlist=[]
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
for i in 1..PBSpecies.getCount
if pbCanAddForModeSearch?(params[4],i)
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,i,33)
height=dexdata.fgetw
weight=dexdata.fgetw
dexlist.push([i,PBSpecies.getName(i),height,weight])
end
end
if params[0]!=0 # Filter by name
nameCommands=[
"",_INTL("ABC"),_INTL("DEF"),_INTL("GHI"),
_INTL("JKL"),_INTL("MNO"),_INTL("PQR"),
_INTL("STU"),_INTL("VWX"),_INTL("YZ")
]
scanNameCommand=nameCommands[params[0]].scan(/./)
dexlist=dexlist.find_all {|item|
firstChar=item[1][0,1]
next scanNameCommand.any? { |v| v==firstChar }
}
end
if params[1]!=0 # Filter by color
dexdata.pos=76*(item[0]-1)+6
color=dexdata.fgetb
next color==params[1]-1
}
end
if params[2]!=0 || params[3]!=0 # Filter by type
typeCommands=[
]
stype1=typeCommands[params[2]]
stype2=typeCommands[params[3]]
dexdata.pos=76*(item[0]-1)+8
type1=dexdata.fgetb
type2=dexdata.fgetb
if stype1>=0 && stype2>=0
next (stype1==type1 && stype2==type2) ||
(stype1==type2 && stype2==type1)
elsif stype1>=0
next type1==stype1 || type2==stype1
else
next type1==stype2 || type2==stype2
end
}
end
dexdata.close
case params[4]
when 0 # Numerical mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[0]<=>b[0]}
when 1 # Alphabetical mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[1]<=>b[1]}
when 2 # Heaviest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[3]<=>a[3]}
when 3 # Lightest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[3]<=>b[3]}
when 4 # Tallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[2]<=>a[2]}
when 5 # Smallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[2]<=>b[2]}
end
return dexlist
end

def pbRefreshDexSearch(params)
searchlist=@sprites["searchlist"]
searchlist.commands=[
_INTL("SEARCH"),[
_ISPRINTF("NAME: {1:s}",@nameCommands[params[0]]),
_ISPRINTF("COLOR: {1:s}",@colorCommands[params[1]]),
_ISPRINTF("TYPE 1: {1:s}",@typeCommands[params[2]]),
_ISPRINTF("TYPE 2: {1:s}",@typeCommands[params[3]]),
_ISPRINTF("ORDER: {1:s}",@orderCommands[params[4]]),
_INTL("START SEARCH")
],
_INTL("SHIFT"),[
_ISPRINTF("ORDER: {1:s}",@orderCommands[params[5]]),
_INTL("START SHIFT")
],
_INTL("OTHER"),[
_INTL("CANCEL")
]
]
helptexts=[
_INTL("Search for Pokemon based on selected parameters."),[
_INTL("List by the first letter in the name.\r\nSpotted Pokemon only."),
_INTL("List by body color.\r\nSpotted Pokemon only."),
_INTL("List by type.\r\nOwned Pokemon only."),
_INTL("List by type.\r\nOwned Pokemon only."),
_INTL("Select the Pokedex listing mode."),
_INTL("Execute search."),
],
_INTL("Switch Pokedex listings."),[
_INTL("Select the Pokedex listing mode."),
_INTL("Execute switch."),
],
_INTL("Return to the Pokedex."),[
_INTL("Return to the Pokedex.")
]
]
messagebox.text=searchlist.getText(helptexts,searchlist.index)
end

def pbChangeToDexEntry(species)
@sprites["dexentry"].visible=true
@sprites["overlay"].visible=true
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap.clear
basecolor=Color.new(0,0,0)
shadowcolor=Color.new(184,184,184)
textpos=[
[_ISPRINTF("No. {1:03d} {2:s}",species,PBSpecies.getName(species)),96*2,24*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor],
[sprintf(_INTL("HT")),96*2,56*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor],
[sprintf(_INTL("WT")),96*2,72*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor]
]
if $Trainer.owned[species]
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,33)
height=dexdata.fgetw
weight=dexdata.fgetw
dexdata.close
kind=pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::Kinds,species)
dexentry=pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::Entries,species)
inches=(height/0.254).round
pounds=(weight/0.45359).round
textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:s} POKéMON",kind),100*2,40*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:.1f} m",height/10.0),184*2,56*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:.1f} kg",weight/10.0),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:d}'{2:02d}\"",inches/12,inches%12),146*2,56*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:4.1f} lbs.",pounds/10),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
drawTextEx(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap,
8*2,96*2,232*2,4,dexentry,basecolor,shadowcolor)
else
textpos.push([_INTL("????? POKéMON"),100*2,40*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_INTL("???.? m"),184*2,56*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_INTL("???.? kg"),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_INTL("??'??\""),146*2,56*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_INTL("???.? lbs."),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
end
pbDrawTextPositions(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap,textpos)
pkmnbitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap(pbPokemonBitmapFile(species,false))
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap.blt(
40-(pkmnbitmap.width-128)/2,
48-(pkmnbitmap.height-128)/2,
pkmnbitmap,pkmnbitmap.rect)
pkmnbitmap.dispose
pkmnwav=sprintf("Audio/SE/%03dCry",species)
Audio.se_play(pkmnwav,100,100) rescue nil
end

def pbStartDexEntryScene(species)
@sprites={}
@viewport=Viewport.new(0,0,Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
@viewport.z=99999
@sprites["dexentry"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["dexentry"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/dexentry.png")
@sprites["dexentry"].visible=false
@sprites["overlay"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap=Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
pbSetSystemFont(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap)
@sprites["overlay"].x=0
@sprites["overlay"].y=0
@sprites["overlay"].visible=false
pbChangeToDexEntry(species)
end

def pbMiddleDexEntryScene
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
if Input.trigger?(Input::B) || Input.trigger?(Input::C)
break
end
end
end

def pbDexEntry(index)
oldsprites=pbFadeOutAndHide(@sprites)
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[index][0])
curindex=index
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
pbFadeOutAndHide(@sprites)
scene=PokemonAreaMapScene.new
screen=PokemonAreaMap.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen(@dexlist[curindex][0])
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[curindex][0])
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::B)
break
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::A)
pkmnwav=sprintf("Audio/SE/%03dCry",@dexlist[curindex][0])
Audio.se_play(pkmnwav,100,100) rescue nil
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::UP)
nextindex=-1
i=curindex-1; loop do break unless i>=0
if $Trainer.seen[@dexlist[i][0]]
nextindex=i
break
end
i-=1
end
if nextindex>=0
Input.update
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[nextindex][0])
curindex=nextindex
end
next
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::DOWN)
nextindex=-1
for i in curindex+1...@dexlist.length
if $Trainer.seen[@dexlist[i][0]]
nextindex=i
break
end
end
if nextindex>=0
Input.update
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[nextindex][0])
curindex=nextindex
end
next
end
end
$PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex=curindex if !@searchResults
@sprites["pokedex"].index=curindex
pbFadeInAndShow(@sprites,oldsprites)
end

def pbDexSearch
params=[]
params[0]=0
params[1]=0
params[2]=0
params[3]=0
params[4]=0
params[5]=$PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode
@nameCommands=[
_INTL("DON'T SPECIFY"),
_INTL("ABC"),_INTL("DEF"),_INTL("GHI"),
_INTL("JKL"),_INTL("MNO"),_INTL("PQR"),
_INTL("STU"),_INTL("VWX"),_INTL("YZ")
]
@typeCommands=[
_INTL("NONE"),
_INTL("NORMAL"),_INTL("FIGHTING"),_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),_INTL("GROUND"),_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),_INTL("GHOST"),_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("FIRE"),_INTL("WATER"),_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),_INTL("PSYCHIC"),_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),_INTL("DARK")
]
@colorCommands=[
_INTL("DON'T SPECIFY"),
_INTL("RED"),_INTL("BLUE"),_INTL("YELLOW"),
_INTL("GREEN"),_INTL("BLACK"),_INTL("BROWN"),
_INTL("PURPLE"),_INTL("GRAY"),_INTL("WHITE"),_INTL("PINK")
]
@orderCommands=[
_INTL("NUMERIC MODE"),
_INTL("A TO Z MODE"),
_INTL("HEAVIEST MODE"),
_INTL("LIGHTEST MODE"),
_INTL("TALLEST MODE"),
_INTL("SMALLEST MODE")
]
@orderHelp=[
_INTL("Pokemon are listed according to their number."),
_INTL("Spotted and owned Pokemon are listed alphabetically."),
_INTL("Owned Pokemon are listed from the heaviest to the lightest."),
_INTL("Owned Pokemon are listed from the lightest to the heaviest."),
_INTL("Owned Pokemon are listed from the tallest to the smallest."),
_INTL("Owned Pokemon are listed from the smallest to the tallest.")
]
@sprites["searchlist"].index=1
searchlist=@sprites["searchlist"]
@sprites["messagebox"].visible=true
@sprites["auxlist"].visible=true
@sprites["searchlist"].visible=true
@sprites["searchbg"].visible=true
pbRefreshDexSearch(params)
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
oldindex=searchlist.index
searchlist.update
if searchlist.index!=oldindex
end
command=searchlist.indexToCommand(searchlist.index)
if command==[2,0]
break
end
if command==[0,0]
params[0]=pbDexSearchCommands(@nameCommands,params[0])
elsif command==[0,1]
params[1]=pbDexSearchCommands(@colorCommands,params[1])
elsif command==[0,2]
params[2]=pbDexSearchCommands(@typeCommands,params[2])
elsif command==[0,3]
params[3]=pbDexSearchCommands(@typeCommands,params[3])
elsif command==[0,4]
params[4]=pbDexSearchCommands(@orderCommands,params[4],@orderHelp)
elsif command==[0,5]
dexlist=pbSearchDexList(params)
if dexlist.length==0
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("No matching Pokemon were found."))
else
@dexlist=dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].commands=@dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].index=0
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_INTL("X: BACK\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH")
@searchResults=true
break
end
elsif command==[1,0]
params[5]=pbDexSearchCommands(@orderCommands,params[5],@orderHelp)
elsif command==[1,1]
$PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode=params[5]
pbRefreshDexList
break
end
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::B)
break
end
end
Input.update
return 0
end

def pbMenu
ret=0
commands=[_INTL("BACK TO LIST"),_INTL("LIST TOP"),_INTL("LIST BOTTOM"),_INTL("CLOSE POKéDEX")]
using(cmdwindow=Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands)) {
cmdwindow.viewport=@viewport
cmdwindow.resizeToFit(cmdwindow.commands)
pbBottomRight(cmdwindow)
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
cmdwindow.update
ret=0
break
end
ret=cmdwindow.index
break
end
end
}
return ret
end

def pbCloseSearch
@searchResults=false
pbRefreshDexList($PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex)
end

def pbPokedex
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
oldindex=@sprites["pokedex"].index
@sprites["pokedex"].update
if oldindex!=@sprites["pokedex"].index
$PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex=@sprites["pokedex"].index if !@searchResults
end
@sprites["icon"].update
if @searchResults
pbCloseSearch
else
break
end
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::C)
if $Trainer.seen[@sprites["pokedex"].species]
pbDexEntry(@sprites["pokedex"].index)
end
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::F5)
pbDexSearch
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::A)
retval=pbMenu
case retval
when 1 # List Top
@sprites["pokedex"].index=1
when 2 # List Bottom
@sprites["pokedex"].index=@sprites["pokedex"].count-1
when 3
if @searchResults
pbCloseSearch
else
break
end
end
end
end
end

def pbEndScene
pbDisposeSpriteHash(@sprites)
@viewport.dispose
end

end

class PokemonPokedex

def initialize(scene)
@scene=scene
end

def pbDexEntry(species)
@scene.pbStartDexEntryScene(species)
@scene.pbMiddleDexEntryScene
@scene.pbEndScene
end

def pbStartScreen
@scene.pbStartScene
@scene.pbPokedex
@scene.pbEndScene
end

end

Maruno
November 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure how to help but you could try this pokedex script and see if it works:

<lotsa code>
Please put that in tags. It's taking up far too much space.

mustyoshi
November 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Could you make a VX version? Cause RMXP keeps crashing when I try to run it...

Nyu~♥!
November 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I will ask this once more..
I'm looking for basics on pokestarter advanced scripting. I already know how to make simple scripts, it's a bit easy.. :/

I just need a link.. I've tried searching but I can't seem to find much of 'basics' especially for pokestarter.
What I really want to find out how to do is making Input scripts and Timers.. I'd tell you my idea but I'm scared of getting it stolen

glucksdrache
November 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I am having a problem with my tilesets. in the rpgmxp, i mark things as unpassable, but when i testplay, i can walk right over them. im not sure how to fix that. can anyone help?

Maruno
November 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I will ask this once more..

What I really want to find out how to do is making Input scripts and Timers.. I'd tell you my idea but I'm scared of getting it stolen
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for here. Naturally, context would help, i.e. knowing what you intend to do. You can PM me about it if you like, and I'll promise not to steal.

As far as I imagine it, a timer script is something along the lines of "talk to man, wait 3 hours, talk to man and get Aerodactyl". There's already a way to make delayed events, and I suspect it's somewhere in the notes. It involves making a new page in the event you want to wait. I don't know the details offhand.

As for input scripts, to me that could either mean "press X to not die" quicktime-like events or "insert name here" screens. The latter is of course possible, since that's how one inputs one's name for the player. The former, yes, would require scripting, but I can vaguely imagine how to do it (create a looping script that checks for an input, add a timing variable that adds 1 each loop, break if variable>60, sort of thing. Those kinds of loops are all over the place in the scripts anyway, so it would just require some imaginative copy-pasting).

I am having a problem with my tilesets. in the rpgmxp, i mark things as unpassable, but when i testplay, i can walk right over them. im not sure how to fix that. can anyone help?
You may have painted over the things you're walking over with a non-blank tile in a higher layer. Only the passability of the tile in the highest layer will count when the game decides where you can and cannot go, and some tiles may be visually blank but still have passability. Use only the uppermost leftmost tile for erasing other tiles, since that definitely has no passability.

On the other hand, I recall a problem like this being posted some months ago. As I recall, the solution was to reload the tileset (which unfortunately meant having to reset all the passabilities/etc.).

poccil
November 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
A new version was released today. Unlike previous updates, however, I spent considerable time updating the many scripts and adding new features. The notes have also been reorganized and expanded.

Meowth
November 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
First comment on that:

HOLY SPIT.

Gonna update MSB right now, thanks a lot Poccil! :D

EDIT: Dont see anything in the changes log... what's new?

BallisticBlastoise
November 20th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Question:

I'm trying to make it so that the player only picks one pokemon out of three from the professor. However, when a player chooses one, the others are still available for some strange reason. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Meowth
November 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Thats not a starter kit thing, thats an RMXP thing. Just set up some switches. If a player chooses a pokemon, make it so it turns on 'gotprofessorball' or whatever you want to call it, and have a second page in your other pokeballs that has the switch on, and have it say something else.

BallisticBlastoise
November 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I follow Pokemon lab event which is supposed to be the same thing but it still isnt working

Fraot
November 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hey guys, i have a little doubt: Which line on the Scene_Intro do I must edit in order to make the intro pictures to remain more time? You know, like on the real games. Because my pictures can be seen only half a second... it's not cool.

Meowth
November 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I wonder the same thing, it goes too fast.

BallisticBlastoise
November 21st, 2009, 12:48 AM
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6441/sampletextbox.png

How can i modify the game's custom messagebox so that it looks similar to what picture above? I basically want to text off to the left and a picture of the person talking off to the right.

poccil
November 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6441/sampletextbox.png

How can i modify the game's custom messagebox so that it looks similar to what picture above? I basically want to text off to the left and a picture of the person talking off to the right.

To do this, add the following code to the script section PokemonMessages:

def pbPositionFaceWindow(facewindow,msgwindow)
return if !facewindow
if msgwindow
if facewindow.height<=msgwindow.height
facewindow.y=msgwindow.y
else
facewindow.y=msgwindow.y+msgwindow.height-facewindow.height
end
facewindow.x=Graphics.width-facewindow.width
msgwindow.x=0
msgwindow.width=Graphics.width-facewindow.width
else
facewindow.height=Graphics.height if facewindow.height>Graphics.height
facewindow.x=0
facewindow.y=0
end
end

Then, in the script section PokemonMessages, replace each instance of the following code:

pbPositionNearMsgWindow(facewindow,msgwindow,:left)

with this:

pbPositionFaceWindow(facewindow,msgwindow)

To show a face using the message system, use \f[picture_file_name] where picture_file_name is the name of a picture file in the Graphics/Pictures/ folder.

Wichu
November 21st, 2009, 03:09 AM
Is it just me, or is the 'new version' on the site actually an older version? I'm sure the previous version had more scripts etc; besides, the file modification dates for the 'new' version are from 2008.

Fraot
November 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ahem, so... my main point about my question was... is there a wait command on scripting? You know, like the one from the default eventing thing. I need it to show the pictures from the intro more time, also, to play a sound like on D/P when you press Start and then wait a little to change screen to the load one.

Maruno
November 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Ahem, so... my main point about my question was... is there a wait command on scripting? You know, like the one from the default eventing thing. I need it to show the pictures from the intro more time, also, to play a sound like on D/P when you press Start and then wait a little to change screen to the load one.
Scene_Intro, line 40 should look something like this:

# Instance Variables
@item, @speed, @o_speed, @phase = 0, 15, 20, 0
That "15" is the speed the screens fade in and out. A lower number corresponds to a longer fade in/out. It still doesn't leave a gap between finishing fading in and starting to fade out, but it makes the thing visible for longer. If you're happy with this, then it's an easy fix.

If not, then look to line 89, which looks something like this:

# Changes Direction
@speed *= -1 if @sprite.opacity >= 255
This line causes it to start fading out as soon as it has fully faded in. This part needs to be changed if you want the screen to remain at full opacity for longer. I'm not sure how, but one solution may be to create another variable and start adding numbers to that instead/as well as when the opacity hits max (255), and then only multiplying by -1 when the new variable is greater than a certain value (remember that 20 loops equals 1 second, so if you're adding 1 to the new variable and you want the screen to stay fully visible for 3 seconds, multiply by -1 only when the new variable hits 60).

I think that's about right, anyway. I haven't tried the second option, but it can't be too difficult.

You don't want to use a wait command (if such a thing existed), because then you wouldn't be able to press a button to skip through the screen quicker - the loop needs to be cycled through in order to allow this.

Fraot
November 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Thank you Maruno, I'll test it, it's like I had cool stuf on the intro, but only that issue was the only obstacle.
So, in addition, there's no a wait command, right? I also wanted a comand like that on the PokeCOMP, I mean, my version of the pokegear. I wanted to put that wait command in order to allow the player to see the buttons on the pokegear chaging their sprites to a... "pressed" state while pressing C key, lift the C key and wait a little, then change the button to normal state after some frames, and then change the screen. It is the only detail i'm missing on my Pokegear. I was thinking on a method wich indicates:

if the C key is pressed{change x buton to y button}
else {the y button returns to be x button}
(obviously, this condition is for every button)

But the problem was at the time of changing the screens, if C key is not being pressed, the y button returns to x button... but it was supposed to take the player to x screen if the C key was pressed, the problem is: there's no method for that, so... I had to put only an else... but is the C key is not pressed, it will create a crash because EVERY screens would try to appear at the same time.

Did you get me? Hahaha, I'm not so good writing in english.

lx_theo
November 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
A few things have avoided me while using Essentials, how do you

1. Put in battle backgrounds so they work continuously

and

2. Get the cloud shadows on the ground effect I've seen a number of games?

ultron90
November 22nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
Can anyone tell me how do i make the pokegear change apps using the left/right button instead of up/down?

poccil
November 22nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
lx_theo:

To answer question 2, I assume you mean allowing clouds to be seen reflecting in the water. This can be achieved by creating a panorama that represents clouds in the sky. Water tiles in the map where the panorama is used should be transparent in order to let the panorama show through.

SpawnHyuuga
November 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Poccil, since people are like clamoring for a caterpillar script all over the place since the announcement of the game HG/SS is there any chance you'd get around to doing it?

Maruno
November 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you Maruno, I'll test it, it's like I had cool stuf on the intro, but only that issue was the only obstacle.
So, in addition, there's no a wait command, right? I also wanted a comand like that on the PokeCOMP, I mean, my version of the pokegear. I wanted to put that wait command in order to allow the player to see the buttons on the pokegear chaging their sprites to a... "pressed" state while pressing C key, lift the C key and wait a little, then change the button to normal state after some frames, and then change the screen. It is the only detail i'm missing on my Pokegear. I was thinking on a method wich indicates:

if the C key is pressed{change x buton to y button}
else {the y button returns to be x button}
(obviously, this condition is for every button)

But the problem was at the time of changing the screens, if C key is not being pressed, the y button returns to x button... but it was supposed to take the player to x screen if the C key was pressed, the problem is: there's no method for that, so... I had to put only an else... but is the C key is not pressed, it will create a crash because EVERY screens would try to appear at the same time.

Did you get me? Hahaha, I'm not so good writing in english.
So you want to show the button as being pressed for as long as someone's pressing the C key, and only after they stop pressing it will the screen change?

You could try making another loop inside each of the "if C is pressed" options in the bigger "check for input" loop. The smaller loop would look something like this:

if C is pressed
set button image to pressed
else
set button image to normal
sleep(10)
change scene (the code that's already there)
end
Something like that might work. The "sleep(10)" line (see below) is optional, because the screen will fade out anyway, which takes a second or so. You might as well have it such that as soon as C is not being pressed anymore, start fading out and going to the next screen.

I think there's something like a "sleep(X)" command in Ruby, which pauses the script for X frames before continuing, but from what I've read people tend not to like it. They prefer using a method pretty much like what I detailed above, actually.

Can anyone tell me how do i make the pokegear change apps using the left/right button instead of up/down?
If you search the PokéGear script for words such as "UP" and "DOWN", you may well find what you're looking for. Replace them with "LEFT" and "RIGHT". It's not difficult.

Poccil, since people are like clamoring for a caterpillar script all over the place since the announcement of the game HG/SS is there any chance you'd get around to doing it?
They're not, are they? Dependent events already exist, and they work fine. I thought everyone wanted a way to change the image of the dependent event depending on which pokémon is at the front of their party.

ultron90
November 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
If you search the PokéGear script for words such as "UP" and "DOWN", you may well find what you're looking for. Replace them with "LEFT" and "RIGHT". It's not difficult.

I tried that. it didnt work. only the graphics for the button change. the arrow didnt move. it only moves when i press up or down.

Maruno
November 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
I tried that. it didnt work. only the graphics for the button change. the arrow didnt move. it only moves when i press up or down.
Okay, that's because the actual list is a Window_CommandPokemon list, and displayed off-screen.

I would suggest you try a little redesigning. Why don't you want to use UP/DOWN? It's easier, because that's how it already works.

ultron90
November 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Okay, that's because the actual list is a Window_CommandPokemon list, and displayed off-screen.

I would suggest you try a little redesigning. Why don't you want to use UP/DOWN? It's easier, because that's how it already works.
i wanted my pokegear to move to the right rather than up and down. but if i cant get it then i'll have to deal with it. thanx for the help! :)

Maruno
November 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
i wanted my pokegear to move to the right rather than up and down. but if i cant get it then i'll have to deal with it. thanx for the help! :)
It'd be a bit complicated, really. One way would be to create a new class and customise it to work with left/right (perhaps an adaptation of the one that displays moves in battle?). Another way I can think of would only add the left/right functions, not remove up/down.

I can't imagine it's a huge task to replace left/right with up/down, though.

SpawnHyuuga
November 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM

They're not, are they? Dependent events already exist, and they work fine. I thought everyone wanted a way to change the image of the dependent event depending on which pokémon is at the front of their party.

I know the dependent events exist, but last time I heard they were still buggy, at least according to this thread. I guess I'll have to see for myself. I'll be back in about 2 hours to check on some of this stuff, and try it out.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=184154

EDIT: Above topic contains Caterpillar Script! Get it while it's hot!

Fraot
November 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Well... I'm a little tired of this. I think the only way to make my Intro better is by making a couple of lines which send the player directly to a map and then display the title animation there, so, after the intro finishes, it comes goes to the Title Screen(comes back to the Scene_Intro script). I think I can do it, there's a script like that on internet.

EDIT: HEY!!! This crap!! I downloaded the latest essentials, and it ruined ALL my work!! No sound of the SpriteWindow can be heared, I only got "File not found <insert name here>, the game will continue playing". On the title screen, it tells me that the "Title" midi could not be found, but IT'S THERE!!!. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHH, this drives me crazy! Now I can't get back to my normal kit, crap. EVERY ****ING SOUND IS ON THE ****ING SE FOLDER AND EVERY ****ING MUSIC IS ON THE ****ING BGM FOLDER!

Vaskituh
November 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hey guys, can anyone tell me where the Battle menu, and the Menu that has (Pokedex, Save, Pokemon, Items..) is located on the Scripts ? I want to change my Pokemon Essentials one to a custom one :D

Maruno
November 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, can anyone tell me where the Battle menu, and the Menu that has (Pokedex, Save, Pokemon, Items..) is located on the Scripts ? I want to change my Pokemon Essentials one to a custom one :D
Battle menu: PokeBattle_ActualScene, somewhere in all that mess. Search for "Bag" to find the array with the four options in.

Pause menu: PokemonMenu.

Vaskituh
November 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you matey, you were a huge help !

Also, i made a item but it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

305,APPLE,APPLE,1,50,"An Apple found of a Tree. It restores only a small amount of HP of a Pokémon.",1,1

I can see the item and everything, and even when i press it it lets me choose the pokemon, but i when i press the pokemon it just takes me to the bag and the item wasn't used..

Can anyone help ?

poccil
November 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Vaskituh:

You also must implement an item handler for that item to allow the item to work. By default, items without item handlers are not considered to be "used". See the examples in the script section PokemonDefaultItems for examples of item handlers. Also see the section "Implementing New Items" in the notes.

BallisticBlastoise
November 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
thanks poccil. Also:

Can you spot me any working pokegear script? I screwed mine up and forgot to save an extra copy.

mustyoshi
November 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
How do I add more characters? Cause I want to add the fat guy that is in EVERY starter town, so he can talk about my game...

Wichu
November 25th, 2009, 07:20 AM
If you mean new character sprites, copy the sprite to the Graphics/Characters folder. If you mean add him to the game, go to the events layer and double-click a tile. Either way, this is a general RMXP question, not a starter kit one, so it would have been better if you'd asked it in the Help and Requests thread.

Soul.//Silver
November 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
thanks poccil. Also:

Can you spot me any working pokegear script? I screwed mine up and forgot to save an extra copy.

Just go to where you saved your pokeessentials.zip or whatever it is called -->Unzip to new folder -->Open up the Game project inside the folder after its been unzipped -->Go to the PokeGear script in the Scripts and just copy and paste it over your existing one in your main project (not in the same folder obviously ;|). Assuming you keep the .zip, but it would be a bit silly to delete it unless your downloading a newer version.

Rezah
November 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Getting an error with the newest version.

Message: Section125:841:in `pbAddForeignPokemon'undefined method `id=' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x7def770>

***Full script:

pbAddForeignPokemon(PBSpecies::DRATINI,20,_I("LANCE"),_I("DRATIN"))

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:784:in `eval'

Interpreter:784:in `command_111'

Interpreter:317:in `execute_command'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Interpreter:273:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:784:in `command_111'

Interpreter:317:in `execute_command'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

poccil
November 26th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for telling me:

In the line given in the error message in PokemonUtilities, replace pokemon.id=$Trainer.getForeignID with pokemon.trainerID=$Trainer.getForeignID

Again, send error messages and bug reports to my Private Message box, rather than this thread. That way, I can refer to them in one place rather than jumbled all over in different pages.

pbellosom
November 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I don't suppose there's a way to make it that when a character gives you an egg, it's already nearly hatched or comes with special moves is there?

Klofkac
November 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Can I set the transition for next battle? Like legendary in platinum?

Vaskituh
November 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8941/semttulopt.jpg

Guys i got this error, what is happening ?
Also, when i use GoodRod it happens exactly the same thing..

poccil
November 28th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Vaskituh:

In previous versions, removing items such as the Town Map from the data file caused problems like that one. Now, however, in more recent versions of Pokemon Essentials you can have any kind of items you want and put them in any order in the data file without causing problems. The same is true for moves and Pokemon species.

Vaskituh
November 28th, 2009, 05:29 AM
So basically the order of the Items is wrong ?

Where can i change it, my game is in it's final stage. I let a friend work on some scripts and he changed a few things and implement some features, now the features work but some old things like Bike and others don't work.

Thanks

RMXPUser462
November 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hey I asked this question like 20 pages or so ago but never got an answer, so I'll just ask again :P

I want to create a new type of pokeball, so I go to the PBS/items and add a pokeball, give it the right properties, etc. so I go in game and I use it. It works fine, but that's not what I want to know. What I want to know is where I go to edit like it's catch rate or something of that sort. Like how a great ball works better than a poke ball. Any help appreciated :)

Colbex
November 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Hm, if I'm not mistaken, it should be under PokeBattle_Battle. The list of PokeBalls is there, and below it are the scripts for the different catch rates. :)

RMXPUser462
November 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Ya I think it's there, haven't looked thoroughly enough to change anything yet, but thanks it was a big help :)

EDIT: would the catch rate be represented by the rareness? Like here's a snippet of the code...

when PBItems::GREATBALL
rareness=(rareness*3/2).floor

and what does the ".floor" represent :P

Colbex
November 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, that's exactly right, and I'm not sure what floor is, but I'm guessig it has something to do with the scene. You can always customize the balls too, like so...

when PBItems::DUSKBALL
rareness*=4 if @environment==PBEnvironment::Cave || ((time.hour<20 && time.hour>=6))
or...
when PBItems::DIVEBALL
rareness=(rareness*7/2).floor if @environment==PBEnvironment::Underwater
or even make your own... like...
when PBItems::SUNNYBALL
rareness*=4 if @weather==PBWeather::SUNNYDAY

but yea, now I'm just rambling on... o.o;;

RMXPUser462
November 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
lol but your rambling has helped a lot, thanks soooooo much :)

Marin52
November 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Can I somehow add shadow pokemon and purification or should I stick to my previous idea of making new pokemon for every shadow form that evolves into purified version?

poccil
November 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Marin52:

I don't know exactly how "shadow Pokemon" and "purification" work exactly; namely whether "shadow" is a Pokemon type or another characteristic and the exact internals of "purification". With this information I might be able to say how to implement these features correctly.

RMXPUser462
November 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
He means you catch a pokemon that has a "virus", per say, then you work to purify it and rid of the virus. Much like the shadow pokemon in Pokemon Colisseum on the gamecube ;)

Maruno
November 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Can I somehow add shadow pokemon and purification or should I stick to my previous idea of making new pokemon for every shadow form that evolves into purified version?
I imagine you could create a variable to attach to every pokémon called "shadow", and have it default to false. When you want to encounter a shadow pokémon, set that mon's variable to true. Then load the correct sprites for it and give it an alternative moveset depending on that variable.

When you purify it (I don't know how one goes about that, but I imagine defeating it in battle is the way to do it), set its variable to false again and change the moveset depending on what shadow moves it had.

I don't think there's a need to create new pokémon just to act as shadow pokémon, but this method would be a bit easier to carry out than the variable one.

~Frozen Darkness~
November 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I get the following error when I use many moves, including Hydro Pump, Absorb, and Dragon Rush:

Message: undefined local variable or method `targets' for #<PokeBattle_Move_00:0x56a8320>
PokeBattle_Move:335:in `pbCalcBaseDamage'
PokeBattle_Move:634:in `pbCalcDamage'
PokeBattle_Move:819:in `pbEffect'
PokeBattle_Battler:1416:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:1655:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:1632:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battler:1658:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:1932:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battler:1931:in `logonerr'
PokeBattle_Battler:1931:in `pbProcessTurn'

This error is really bothering me now. How can I fix it?

Poke25
November 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
For some reason, the link leads me to a blank white page, i tried again on IE and it said that the page requires a password and i do not have permission to view it.

Crazyninjaguy
November 30th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Since the last release of the kit, the using pictures in scripts seems to have changed, it used to be

@sprite = Bitmap.new
@sprite.bitmap = RPG::Cache(picture name etc.)

I've looked through a lot of the scripts and can't find any way to display pictures.
Can anyone help me out here?
Thanks in advance :)

poccil
November 30th, 2009, 05:30 AM
The correct way to display pictures is by using code like the following:

sprite=IconSprite.new(x,y,viewport)
sprite.setBitmap(bitmap_name)

where x, y, viewport, and bitmap_name are replaced with the appropriate parameters. This approach supports animated GIF files.

Crazyninjaguy
November 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Thank you so much poccil :)

RMXPUser462
November 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
hey is there a way to edit the position of the sprites in the coding? Like I'm wanting to use a full 80x80 D/P sprite but when I edit the BattlerEnemyY from pbs/pokemon the sprite is still a little too low

thanks for the help :)

poccil
November 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
RMXPUser462:

Each Pokemon species has a setting called BattlePlayerY, BattleEnemyY, and BattleAltitude, which can be set in PBS/pokedex.txt:

# BattlerPlayerY - Specifies the relative position of the back of the sprite (Graphics/Battlers/XXXb.png) on the battle screen. A higher number means the back sprite is placed lower on the screen.

# BattlerEnemyY - Specifies the relative position of the front side sprite (Graphics/Battlers/XXX.png) on the battle screen. A higher number means the front side sprite is placed lower on the screen.

# BattlerAltitude - Specifies how far from the ground the front sprite is placed, that is, this value will be higher than 0 if the sprite has the appearance of being suspended in the air. A higher number means the front sprite is placed further from the ground.

thepsynergist
November 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Pokemon Pyrite
Exception: NameErrorMessage: undefined local variable or method `dexdata' for #<PokemonPokedexScene:0x936f4f0>PokemonPokedex:449:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:448:in `find_all'PokemonPokedex:448:in `each'PokemonPokedex:448:in `find_all'PokemonPokedex:448:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:775:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:746:in `loop'PokemonPokedex:801:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:863:in `pbPokedex'PokemonPokedex:840:in `loop'This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I keep getting this error everytime i use the search function in my Pokedex. Is there anyway I can manually fix it?

pbellosom
December 1st, 2009, 06:23 AM
Hi, I'm using the original release of PedAPP basic. For some reason whenever I try and use the move Ember, I get the following error:

Message: undefined local variable or method `targets' for #<PokeBattle_Move_04:0x9726718>

PokeBattle_Move:335:in `pbCalcBaseDamage'

PokeBattle_Move:634:in `pbCalcDamage'

PokeBattle_Move:819:in `pbEffect'

PokeBattle_Battler:1416:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1655:in `pbUseMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1632:in `loop'

PokeBattle_Battler:1658:in `pbUseMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1932:in `pbProcessTurn'

PokeBattle_Battler:1931:in `logonerr'

PokeBattle_Battler:1931:in `pbProcessTurn'

It worked fine before I moved to PedAPP and I can't find any other moves that do it, what am I doing wrong?

poccil
December 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
I'm not familiar with where to obtain "PedAPP", but that particular problem has been mentioned multiple times before. That problem doesn't exist with the current version of Pokemon Essentials, as PedAPP is based on an earlier version.

venom12
December 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Now poccil will be cool if you will start making ds starter kit.

Wichu
December 1st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Somehow, I doubt that's going to happen...

Poccil: PEDaPP thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193354) :)

RMXPUser462
December 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Poccil: I know that, but the problem is, even when using an extremely low number, the enemy sprite is still too far down, and since you can't go into the negatives you can't get it any further up :)

PokemonOI
December 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Well My demo is ready but I'm having a tileset issue that I've never encountered! Every thing can be walked on and events are simply stepped on. I need help....before I release the demo.

Atomic Reactor
December 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Did this happen after you activated an event? Perhaps one that had the "Through ON" command? Make sure to have that turned off. Other than that, i cant think of any other solution.

Maruno
December 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Poccil: I know that, but the problem is, even when using an extremely low number, the enemy sprite is still too far down, and since you can't go into the negatives you can't get it any further up :)
I solved this myself just the other day.

For starters, search PokeBattle_ActualScene for the word "metrics". You should find three separate places it appears:

class PokeballSendOutAnimation (for enemy trainers' mons)
class PokeballPlayerSendOutAnimation (for the player's mons (back sprites))
def pbStartBattle(battle) (for enemy wild encounters)

In each of these places, there are a few variables that are calculated that decide where the sprites go.

For the first one, it's "@spritex", "@spritey" (where the mon appears from its Ball) and "@endspritey" (where the mon ends up after being called out). "@spritex" is common to both of these, and the latter two should give the same numbers.

For the second one, it's the same thing but there's no "@endspritey" to worry about.

For the third one, it's rather more obvious. You want the lines that affect "@sprites["pokemon1"].x" and similar.

Essentially, the metrics (the three numbers in pokemon.txt that you can use to change the heights of the sprites) are loaded and then used to calculate the positions of the sprites (obviously). Follow the code through and decide where they're used, and how. All you need to do is to add/subtract a certain amount from one line in each case, and it should be fine.

RMXPUser462
December 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM
HUGE help! Thanks so much Maruno :)

thepsynergist
December 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Pokemon Pyrite
Exception: NameErrorMessage: undefined local variable or method `dexdata' for #<PokemonPokedexScene:0x936f4f0>PokemonPokedex:449:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:448:in `find_all'PokemonPokedex:448:in `each'PokemonPokedex:448:in `find_all'PokemonPokedex:448:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:775:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:746:in `loop'PokemonPokedex:801:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:863:in `pbPokedex'PokemonPokedex:840:in `loop'This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

This kinda got lost on the last page. I can't release a new demo of my game until this gets fixed so can someone tell me what I can do to fix this error? It happens whenever I try to use the search function on the Pokedex.

maaddogg
December 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
uhm,i was wondering what script in the starter kit would i edit to re-size the the screen?
or how would i go about doing this?

please help.

Maruno
December 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
uhm,i was wondering what script in the starter kit would i edit to re-size the the screen?
or how would i go about doing this?

please help.
The two lines practically at the top of SpriteResizer are what you want.

Remember that the screen resizing options in the Options menu during gameplay will override this. If you want your game to be one fixed resolution, you should take the screen resize option out of the in-game Options menu.

Also, in many cases you'll need to change the positioning of all screen elements (pictures/text). This is lengthy work, particularly if you're using a weird custom resolution.

venom12
December 3rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Hi where i can change position of message window when i talk to npc? I use resolution 640x480

jackofalltrades
December 3rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ok, im having an issue with my overworlds since the last update. When I try to walk behind them it shows me on top of their heads

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq147/supermanjk/issues.jpg

any suggestions on how to fix this?

edit: so looking at it a little more, it's ignoring all of my priorities as well

Shadowdrake77
December 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Has anyone been able to figure out how to change the forms of Castform in battle? Or when using transform to display the copied sprite in Ditto's place? I tried searching for this, but no luck. I tried editing pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies in PokemonUtilities similar to Unown:

elsif isConst?(species,PBSpecies,:CASTFORM)
if @pbWeather==PBWeather::HAIL
form=1
elseif @pbWeather==PBWeather::RAINDANCE
form=2
elseif @pbWeather==PBWeather::SUNNYDAY
form=3
else
form=4
end
if form==4
return AnimatedBitmap.new(
sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d%s%s",species,
pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",
back ? "b" : "")
)
else
return AnimatedBitmap.new(
sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d%s%s_%d",species,
pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",
back ? "b" : "", form)
)
endWhere the alternate forms of Castform are named 351_1, 351b_1, etc. I also found pbForecast in PokeBattle_Battler and figured that following the 'castform has transformed' message you would have to refresh the sprite during battle. However, looking at the code that first displays the sprite, and trying several different modifications of it, i was unable to figure out how to refresh.

I think that there may be a problem with my weather checking code. Another way i tried was to check castform's type and display the matching sprite.

(replace weather check with "if pokemon.type1==PBTypes::ICE")

But i think i would still need a 'refresh sprite in battle' code to make this work. (Implemented in pbForecast) Does anyone figured out a way to do this yet? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kaikai
December 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Seriously, do some changes.

Add Nasty Plot and Trick Room for Porygon-Z.. Add Tri Attack for it if you havent already. Add Signal Beam if you havent. Add Zap Cannon if you havent.

Seriously, almost all pokemon dont have the right moves.

You should add all the moves.

Also, Game.exe doesnt work for me. :/

Nyu~♥!
December 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
erm, I'm attempting to remake Amity Square in a game I'm creating(along with the help of some awesome, talented peeps! XD) and I keep running into issues with a dependent script.
Every time I talk to the lady that lets you through to the park and it tries to add the Dependent script, it give me this and closes:

Message: Script error within event 1, map 41 (Amity Square):
(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant Interpreter::Mimibud
***Full script:
Kernel.pbAddDependency2(
4,Mimibud,4)

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'
Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'
Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

I don't really understand the dependent scripts, on the notes it wasn't explained all-out. Like, it just uses @event_id, not a number, also. (and I have no idea what an arbitrary name or whatever is) :P Sorry to be so dumb. Thanks for the help.

maaddogg
December 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
The two lines practically at the top of SpriteResizer are what you want.

Remember that the screen resizing options in the Options menu during gameplay will override this. If you want your game to be one fixed resolution, you should take the screen resize option out of the in-game Options menu.

Also, in many cases you'll need to change the positioning of all screen elements (pictures/text). This is lengthy work, particularly if you're using a weird custom resolution.
thanks that really helped and i got what i wanted but how do i fix this?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z247/v5000/problem-1.png

thanks again!

Crazyninjaguy
December 4th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hey there, i hope someone can help me with this, it's pretty important :/

Ok basically, i need to find out the index of the main menu so that i can use it in a case statement.
I've tried everything, cmdwindow.index, @command_window.index and i just can't figure it out.
I've been trying for about 3 hours now and just cant figure it out.
Anyone got any ideas?

Klofkac
December 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I made something bad in scripts. Please, can help?

Maruno
December 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hi where i can change position of message window when i talk to npc? I use resolution 640x480
It should appear at the bottom of the screen by default. If it doesn't, there's something wrong. Or do you just want to display it in a different place (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#messagesystem)?

thanks that really helped and i got what i wanted but how do i fix this?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z247/v5000/problem-1.png

thanks again!
What needs fixing? Do you want the black part at the bottom to be filled with the picture?

The software only supports a maximum resolution of 640x480. It can't display any pictures outside this area. That's probably why all the dual screen games have such small screens, so they don't hit the bottom limit.

Hey there, i hope someone can help me with this, it's pretty important :/

Ok basically, i need to find out the index of the main menu so that i can use it in a case statement.
I've tried everything, cmdwindow.index, @command_window.index and i just can't figure it out.
I've been trying for about 3 hours now and just cant figure it out.
Anyone got any ideas?

This is how the main menu index is dealt with:
if cmdPokedex>=0 && command==cmdPokedexTry just using "command". The index counting system is as normal (i.e. zero-based).

I made something bad in scripts. Please, can help?
That's not at all helpful. What part of the scripts did you "made something bad" in? What's so bad about it?

Wichu
December 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Seriously, do some changes.

Add Nasty Plot and Trick Room for Porygon-Z.. Add Tri Attack for it if you havent already. Add Signal Beam if you havent. Add Zap Cannon if you havent.

Seriously, almost all pokemon dont have the right moves.

You should add all the moves.

Also, Game.exe doesnt work for me. :/

Uh... It's a 3rd gen starter kit, so no Nasty Plot or Trick Room. It learns Tri-Attack by level-up. And you can add your own move tutors for Zap Cannon and Signal Beam.

What's your obsession with Porygon-Z anyway?

erm, I'm attempting to remake Amity Square in a game I'm creating(along with the help of some awesome, talented peeps! XD) and I keep running into issues with a dependent script.
Every time I talk to the lady that lets you through to the park and it tries to add the Dependent script, it give me this and closes:

Message: Script error within event 1, map 41 (Amity Square):
(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant Interpreter::Mimibud
***Full script:
Kernel.pbAddDependency2(
4,Mimibud,4)

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'

I don't really understand the dependent scripts, on the notes it wasn't explained all-out. Like, it just uses @event_id, not a number, also. (and I have no idea what an arbitrary name or whatever is) :P Sorry to be so dumb. Thanks for the help.

You need to put Mimibud in speech marks; at the moment, the game thinks it's a constant name. Putting it in speech marks will make it think it's a string, which is what you want.

What needs fixing? Do you want the black part at the bottom to be filled with the picture?

The software only supports a maximum resolution of 640x480. It can't display any pictures outside this area. That's probably why all the dual screen games have such small screens, so they don't hit the bottom limit.

I believe that limit only applies to Plane objects. Changing it to a Sprite object should make it work.

Peeky Chew
December 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Problem: I copied the events page from the person who gives you a Pokegear pokemon and the running shoes and pasted it to another map, the Pokegear and 'mon work fine but I can't run...

Crazyninjaguy
December 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
@maruno, thanks for trying, but it didnt work.
I just want to make something similar to the Pokegear script but displaying on the side if you get me, so an icon can update when the arrow is on a particular selection.

I guess i'll keep trying until i come up with something :)
Thanks anyway.

Maruno
December 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
@maruno, thanks for trying, but it didnt work.
I just want to make something similar to the Pokegear script but displaying on the side if you get me, so an icon can update when the arrow is on a particular selection.

I guess i'll keep trying until i come up with something :)
Thanks anyway.
"command" is the menu's index. Perhaps it's something else you're not doing right.

Note that the scrolling up/down the menu is done in Kernel.pbShowCommands (in PokemonMessages), NOT in the menu script. And that's used for a few other things too, so you can't just modify it straight off. You could copy-paste it to make a main menu-only version, and add in the extra "update icons" parts in there, which should work (remember to define the icons at the beginning somewhere amongst the part that decides which commands you have).

Hope that helps.

Kaikai
December 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well even if no Nasty Plot in this one, i simply added Nasty Plot to it, thanks alot to Tail Glow. :)

Porygon-Z isnt supposed to learn Thunderpunch.

Wichu
December 5th, 2009, 03:08 AM
The D/P only moves in the D/P Pokémon level-up movesets were replaced with old moves with similar effects.

Klofkac
December 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
That's not at all helpful. What part of the scripts did you "made something bad" in? What's so bad about it?
I did manually font change from "Pokemon Emerald" to "Power Green". I didn't download new script with changed fonts.

Nyu~♥!
December 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
You need to put Mimibud in speech marks; at the moment, the game thinks it's a constant name. Putting it in speech marks will make it think it's a string, which is what you want.

...pssh. I'm an idiot. Thanks, it works now.
Now I'm gonna add some minigames~~

Poeman
December 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone wanted to make a script that could extract the following to a passworded TXT file:
OT
Stats
Pokemon Type
Name
All the moves
Everything about the pokemons data pretty much

Then it should erase the pokemon

and then re-import it.
This way, I could create a application in GM that could be sort've like a pokewalker, it would sit on your computer above every window and display the pokemon exported. It would get hungry, you would feed it, and after some time it would level up. If it gets too hungry then it would stop leveling up(to prevent people from leaving it on).

This is all just an idea but it could be a really cool addition to my pokemon game which I am about to restart.

maaddogg
December 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
what script handles the border image size

Wichu
December 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I was wondering if anyone wanted to make a script that could extract the following to a passworded TXT file:
OT
Stats
Pokemon Type
Name
All the moves
Everything about the pokemons data pretty much

Then it should erase the pokemon

and then re-import it.
This way, I could create a application in GM that could be sort've like a pokewalker, it would sit on your computer above every window and display the pokemon exported. It would get hungry, you would feed it, and after some time it would level up. If it gets too hungry then it would stop leveling up(to prevent people from leaving it on).

This is all just an idea but it could be a really cool addition to my pokemon game which I am about to restart.

Hmm, I wonder what happens if I open it in a text editor, and change these numbers to 999?

Poeman
December 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Read the first line wich:

Wichu
December 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
As far as I know, there's no way to have a passworded text file. Even then, what if I find out the password?

Poeman
December 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
The chances of you finding the password are slim to none. Unless the creator gives it away.

Wichu
December 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
But that doesn't change the fact that it's not possible to password-protect a plain text file.

Even if it was, the password would have to be stored in both the game and the GM app; it wouldn't be hard for someone to extract it and post it on PC.

Finally, wouldn't it be easiest just to read the Pokémon data directly from the RMXP save?

Poeman
December 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
No the RMXP save is encrypted in the fact it looks like this:
o:PokeBattle_Trainer:
@name"
Ohexi:@moneyiÐ:@badges[
FFFFFFFF[][][][][][][][][]... thent eh rest are []'s

Besides, I could convert everything in GM to binary so it would be hard for most people to change(You would have to be damn persistent to do this)
How bout this, the password in GM is hidden, in binary, and before converted to binary everything is divided by 2568910, and the password is 100 characters long(copy and paste, this means it won't be a problem for the creator) Of course these numbers will vary sense they are public.

Wichu
December 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
And what's stopping me reversing that? Multiplying by 2568910 and changing it back to text?

The RMXP save isn't encrypted. It uses Ruby's Marshal module to dump the necessary data to a file. If you could find some way of running a Ruby script in GM, you could easily open it.

Poeman
December 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Because, if you want to use a binary converter, and multiply by the number, you can. But at that point your just wasting time for a game no one will ever challenge you in XD

maaddogg
December 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM
can anyone answer my question?

what script handles the border image size?