PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Crea
December 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have a newbie question,
in Pokemon essentials how do I connect the Pokemon battle sprite to the Pokemon species?
Not sure if I explained that right~
I know how to make a blank species with the Pokemon.txt but have no idea how to connect it to the right spirit.

Please and thank you :3

Shadowdrake77
December 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have a newbie question,
in Pokemon essentials how do I connect the Pokemon battle sprite to the Pokemon species?
Not sure if I explained that right~
I know how to make a blank species with the Pokemon.txt but have no idea how to connect it to the right spirit.

Please and thank you :3

I believe that you create the pokemon you want to add in the pokemon.txt file (in pokestarter\PBS). Then add the 128x128 sprite into the pokestarter\Graphics\Battlers folder. The name of the sprite should be the number of the pokemon in the pokemon.txt file that you added (XXX). You also have to add the backsprite, same size, named XXXb. The pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies in the PokemonUtilities script links the two together automatically. So for example, I added the following to pokemon.txt:

[494]
Name=MISSINGNO
InternalName=MISSINGNO
Kind=Glitch
Pokedex=There is no Pokedex data for this Pokemon.
Type1=FLYING
Type1=NORMAL
BaseStats=33,136,0,6,6,29
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=255
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=
Compatibility=15,15
Height=10.0
Weight=3,507.2
GenderRate=Genderless
Moves=1,WATERGUN,1,WATERGUN,1,HIDDENPOWER,1,SKYATTACK,100,POUND
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
Then I added the sprites 494.png and 494b.png to the pokestarter\Graphics\Battlers folder. In the game i made a random event that consisted basically of:

Script: pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::MISSINGNO,20)The event creates a wild pokemon encounter with a level 20 MISSINGNO with the sprite 494.png as the opposing pokemon.

For other forms you need a little more coding in the pokemon utilities. However i have yet to figure out how to change forms during battle. If anyone knows how to update that sprite in battle, say if transform was used or a pokemon like castform changed forms, that would really help me out with what i am trying to figure out right now.
Thanks,
~Shadowdrake77

Crea
December 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you very much your like my god now <3

Oh and do I really need the script since it's name shows up in the encounters in the editor?

Shadowdrake77
December 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Thank you very much your like my god now <3

Oh and do I really need the script since it's name shows up in the encounters in the editor?

Haha, no problem. And no the script was just an event i made to test the encounter. Modifying the encounters will work fine. That script was just a way of setting a single encounter with the pokemon you made so you don't have to test through a ton of battles to encounter the pokemon you are adding.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to answer if i can.
~Shadowdrake77

SageRaziel
December 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM
My game includes an exact copy of Fire/Leaf Green in it. It's the first region you go to. Like the overworld and the trainers and stuff are the same, but the legendaries and pokemon encounters change. So my question is...Is there anywhere I can download a blank Kanto region already made with Pokemon Essentials? Then I could just download it, import it, and begin working. It would save me hundreds of hours of time.

Poeman
December 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
My game includes an exact copy of Fire/Leaf Green in it. It's the first region you go to. Like the overworld and the trainers and stuff are the same, but the legendaries and pokemon encounters change. So my question is...Is there anywhere I can download a blank Kanto region already made with Pokemon Essentials? Then I could just download it, import it, and begin working. It would save me hundreds of hours of time.
Most likely not for tileset difference, and map data difference

Colbex
December 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM

If you mean you want the maps, your best bet is to probably go here (http://pokeglobal.org/downloads.php). Last time I checked, PokeMon Global Revolution's download isn't encrypted and therefore easy to modify. They may have changed it, I'm not sure. Anyway, their maps aren't 100% accurate, and you would have to redo/fix a bit of events, but in general, it should take a load off your hands. o.o

Fraot
December 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hey, I need with the last thing I mentioned.
I have got into a "solution" to my issue, I reated these linea:

$game_map.setup(Map ID here)
$game_player.moveto(x and y coordinates here)

But the problem is that I don't know where to put them in order to show another intro sequence, instead of the default one. My point is to show a sequence by eventing on any map, then, after the sequence ends, go to the intro script(where you see the "Press Start" thing) by putting a script command with "$scene = Scene_Intro.new" and that's it. I want my intro sequence to be fancy and take control over it... the default one "does whatever it wants", and I can't do anything to edit it.

Any help?

dudleyspud
December 7th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Would anyone mind posting the code for a "roadblock" so you can't leave the first town without a Pokemon, preferably including a rival battle for once you have obtained the Pokemon. I have been trying to do this for a while but the roadblock stays even after you get the Pokemon. (Yes I have activated the condition, "Got Pokemon". Thanks in advance. ^_^

Shadowdrake77
December 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Would anyone mind posting the code for a "roadblock" so you can't leave the first town without a Pokemon, preferably including a rival battle for once you have obtained the Pokemon. I have been trying to do this for a while but the roadblock stays even after you get the Pokemon. (Yes I have activated the condition, "Got Pokemon". Thanks in advance. ^_^

In RPG Maker, place an event on the tile location of the roadblock. Under list of event commands:

Text: Wait, I need a pokemon!
Set Move Route: Player
: $>Turn 180
: $>1 Step Forward
Wait for Move's Completion

You might want to add the ignore if cant move option so your game doesn't get stuck, but you shouldn't need it for this case. Now (i think this is the part you need help with) add a new event page. On the left side of the event window, under conditions, check box the first switch and then click on the arrow to choose the switch. For this case probably 0002: Got Pokemon. There should be no code on the right. Options on both: move animation and through should be checked and for trigger, the first page (with the turn around code) should be player touch. The second doesn't matter, but i put action button (i think that is default). Make sure you turn on the control switch you are using, otherwise it will read as that switch is off and keep blocking you. That will give you a roadblock where it turns you back if you don't have a pokemon.

To add a rival battle, copy the second page to a third. On the second page add the rival battle code. Make sure to add at the bottom to turn on self switch A! On the third page, add self switch A is ON to the conditions. This should result in a roadblock if u have no pokemon, a rival battle the first time through, and a normal passable tile otherwise. For rival battle code check the notes for giving a player supplied name, and/or code the rival like an regular enemy trainer.

~Shadowdrake77

ultron90
December 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Shades=[
Tone.new(-172,-172,-22,68), # 0
Tone.new(-172,-172,-22,68), # 16
Tone.new(-162,-162,-22,68), # 32
Tone.new(-155,-155,-21,68), # 48

Tone.new(-145,-145,-20,62), # 64
Tone.new(-125,-125,-18,52), # 80
Tone.new(-100,-100,-15,32), # 96
Tone.new(-35,-45,-3,17), # 112

Tone.new(25,-18,-32,0), # 128
Tone.new(6,-9,-17,0), # 144
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),

Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0)
]

Is this the script where i edit the night tint? If so, which one should i edit to change the tone for night?

dudleyspud
December 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
In RPG Maker, place an event on the tile location of the roadblock. Under list of event commands:

Text: Wait, I need a pokemon!
Set Move Route: Player
: $>Turn 180
: $>1 Step Forward
Wait for Move's CompletionYou might want to add the ignore if cant move option so your game doesn't get stuck, but you shouldn't need it for this case. Now (i think this is the part you need help with) add a new event page. On the left side of the event window, under conditions, check box the first switch and then click on the arrow to choose the switch. For this case probably 0002: Got Pokemon. There should be no code on the right. Options on both: move animation and through should be checked and for trigger, the first page (with the turn around code) should be player touch. The second doesn't matter, but i put action button (i think that is default). Make sure you turn on the control switch you are using, otherwise it will read as that switch is off and keep blocking you. That will give you a roadblock where it turns you back if you don't have a pokemon.

To add a rival battle, copy the second page to a third. On the second page add the rival battle code. Make sure to add at the bottom to turn on self switch A! On the third page, add self switch A is ON to the conditions. This should result in a roadblock if u have no pokemon, a rival battle the first time through, and a normal passable tile otherwise. For rival battle code check the notes for giving a player supplied name, and/or code the rival like an regular enemy trainer.

~Shadowdrake77

Thanks, I have done all this, but after you obtain your Pokemon the event still appears, any ideas why?

Klofkac
December 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
My questions at back pages wasn't answered. So I show them here:
How I can set the transition for next battle? Example: A battle with dialga starts and before battle face of Dialga will appear.
How I can enlarge the region map?

Wichu
December 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
My questions at back pages wasn't answered. So I show them here:

For the first one, I believe you can set the $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBG (or something like that) variable. As for the second, I'm not quite sure what you mean... Do you mean making the map image larger than the screen? If so, you'll have to script the scrolling mechanism or whatever you want to use yourself...

Shadowdrake77
December 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks, I have done all this, but after you obtain your Pokemon the event still appears, any ideas why?

I don't know. Sounds like the switch isn't getting turned on or the move route is on both pages. If the first page has no conditions and the move route in event commands, and the second has only 002:Got Pokemon is ON under conditions and no event commands, as soon as you get a pokemon it should only run the second page (do nothing). Try copying the event from the 'Test Map' that came with essentials as that works and that is what i based my answer on. I believe it is EV007 directly under the water on tile 013,011. Other than that, you need to add the line:

Control Switches: [0002: Got Pokemon] = ON

to the end of you event in which the player gets the pokemon. This has to be turned ON no matter which pokemon is chosen so make sure you didnt put it inside and if statement and only works for one pokemon, not all 3. Beyond this, i am not sure i can be of much more help unless i see your code/events.

dudleyspud
December 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I don't know. Sounds like the switch isn't getting turned on or the move route is on both pages. If the first page has no conditions and the move route in event commands, and the second has only 002:Got Pokemon is ON under conditions and no event commands, as soon as you get a pokemon it should only run the second page (do nothing). Try copying the event from the 'Test Map' that came with essentials as that works and that is what i based my answer on. I believe it is EV007 directly under the water on tile 013,011. Other than that, you need to add the line:

Control Switches: [0002: Got Pokemon] = ONto the end of you event in which the player gets the pokemon. This has to be turned ON no matter which pokemon is chosen so make sure you didnt put it inside and if statement and only works for one pokemon, not all 3. Beyond this, i am not sure i can be of much more help unless i see your code/events.

Thanks, I've got it now, it was because I did not have a control switch on the part where the professor gives you your Pokemon, how stupid of me. :P

Peeky Chew
December 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I've changed the main charector sprite and now when I get the running shoes I still can't run. Help?

dudleyspud
December 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I've changed the main charector sprite and now when I get the running shoes I still can't run. Help?

I too have this problem, a solution would be much appreciated.

jackofalltrades
December 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Getting this error when I try to go to the choose move screen in battle

Exception: NoMethodError
PBMove:45:in `totalpp'
PokeBattle_Move:29:in `totalpp'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:339:in `refresh'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:240:in `battler='
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1944:in `pbFightMenu'
PokeBattle_Battle:2404:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:2398:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battle:2453:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:2387:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:2387:in `pbCommandPhase'

any suggestions would be great

maaddogg
December 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
what script handles the siize of the border?
i put a border with a custom size that was smaller than the original but when i tested it the game just showed the customborder with black around it were the original border should be!

please help!>_<

thanks in advance to anyone who helps

superclaw
December 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
When playtesting a few maps in RMXP (with the tilesets from Essentials) al ot of tiles can be passed when they should not be, and the player appears uder some tiles (like grass) when he should be above it. I just started in RMXP so I dont know what to do.

Colbex
December 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Make sure to check the terrain tags and priorities of tiles. Priorities should be nothing but a dot if you appear on top of them. Tops of trees and most roof edges should have a priority of one, and lower parts of roofs, such as the PokéMon Centers should have a priority of 2, then a priority of one, like so...

|1|1|1|1|
|2|2|2|2|
|○|○|○|○|
|○|○|○|○|If that doesn't work, make sure you haven't used any events that involved turning THROUGH on.

superclaw
December 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
How do you set priorities?

BallisticBlastoise
December 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm trying to do three things:
1. Mom runs up to wake main character (complete)
2. Mom takes player downstairs and professor's assistant leaves with player (complete)
3. Professor's assistant and player walk to Professor's Lab (complete)

The problem I'm having now is that when the player gets to the lab and then walks out, he automatically follows the move route I set for when he follows the assistant to the lab and the screen freezes. What can I do to fix this?

Maruno
December 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I'm trying to do three things:
1. Mom runs up to wake main character (complete)
2. Mom takes player downstairs and professor's assistant leaves with player (complete)
3. Professor's assistant and player walk to Professor's Lab (complete)

The problem I'm having now is that when the player gets to the lab and then walks out, he automatically follows the move route I set for when he follows the assistant to the lab and the screen freezes. What can I do to fix this?
I'm guessing the problem here is that, in the village map, you have an autorun event that makes the player walk from his house to the Lab and enter it. I'm also guessing that you haven't switched that autorun event off afterwards, which is why it runs again when you re-enter the map. Turn off the autorun event once you're inside the Lab, and it should be fine.

On a creative note, it doesn't sound like the player can do much themselves here - everything's scripted for them.

Peeky Chew
December 11th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I too have this problem, a solution would be much appreciated.This must be quite a large problem. Please, someone help.

~JV~
December 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I've made a new menu for my game and in it's script, I had naturally to use the function "@spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new" so the map appear as background, however, when I open the menu next to a connection, the neighbour map appear totally black. Does anyone know how to solve that =x?

Maruno
December 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
There's no sensible reason for this to happen. Can you not run at all (i.e. move faster), or have you just pasted a set of new walking sprites over the old running sprites (i.e. it looks like you're walking faster)?

More details would help, such as exactly what you did to change things.

======================================================================================================

Problem: In battle, the player's pokémon bobs up and down by a pixel or two. If you use a move when the pokémon is "down", that "down" position becomes the new "up" for the next round. In a long enough battle, and timing the clicks just right, you can make your pokémon sink off the bottom of the screen.

I'm using the 3rd Feb 2009 version of Essentials, so I don't know if this problem has since been fixed, or whether it's just that no one's noticed it.

What's the solution for this?

BallisticBlastoise
December 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm guessing the problem here is that, in the village map, you have an autorun event that makes the player walk from his house to the Lab and enter it. I'm also guessing that you haven't switched that autorun event off afterwards, which is why it runs again when you re-enter the map. Turn off the autorun event once you're inside the Lab, and it should be fine.

On a creative note, it doesn't sound like the player can do much themselves here - everything's scripted for them.

How would I go about switching it off based on what I have so far:

Name: Event08
Auto-Run

Page1:
Set move route stuff
Wait for move's completion
Transfer player
Control Switch: A = On

Page2:
Self Switch A is ON
Action Button
Graphic: Blank

Also, how can I make it look as if an NPC picked an item up? Would I set the NPC event to Event Touch and then set the necessary move route?

RMXPUser462
December 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Quick Pokedex question:

I made my own Pokedex background, but where I've positioned a couple of the boxes, the position isn't quite right, so...

How do you move the Pokemon sprite left/right/up/down on the Pokedex? Whoever helps is much appreciated :)

Nekomata
December 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I know this is a probably very dumb question, but I can't seem to figure out how to make maps or put events together. Is there some sort of tutorial on how to work this program?

Thanks for any help I get.

BallisticBlastoise
December 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
There's no such thing as a dumb question especially when you're learning something.

To connect maps:

-F9
-Visual Editor
-Press A to add map and list of maps you created will show.

Nekomata
December 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
There's no such thing as a dumb question especially when you're learning something.

To connect maps:

-F9
-Visual Editor
-Press A to add map and list of maps you created will show.

That's true I suppose.

... but how do I make my own maps or edit them? I can't seem to figure any of this out.

Wichu
December 13th, 2009, 02:48 AM
That's true I suppose.

... but how do I make my own maps or edit them? I can't seem to figure any of this out.

This is a pretty good tutorial for beginners (http://rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/tutorial_rmxp1.shtml). The map system in Essentials is unchanged; the only thing you have to watch out for is the intro sequence (i.e. don't delete the map named Intro and don't change the player's starting position; to do that, edit the intro event).

Peeky Chew
December 13th, 2009, 04:23 AM
There's no sensible reason for this to happen. Can you not run at all (i.e. move faster), or have you just pasted a set of new walking sprites over the old running sprites (i.e. it looks like you're walking faster)?

More details would help, such as exactly what you did to change things.Well I changed the players starting position to another map, changed the players sprite and moved the person who gives you the running shoes to the new map, that's all.

Maruno
December 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Well I changed the players starting position to another map, changed the players sprite and moved the person who gives you the running shoes to the new map, that's all.
Have you set this new map to allow running? Running is not allowed on inside maps, which I think is what new maps default to.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
December 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Um, I downloaded the most recent pokestarter.zip file, and I can't playtest my game! I keep getting an error that file PBS/Types. Um, where can I find it so I can playtest my game???

Shikamaru88
December 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Um, I downloaded the most recent pokestarter.zip file, and I can't playtest my game! I keep getting an error that file PBS/Types. Um, where can I find it so I can playtest my game???

im also havine trouble with the newest download... first there is a move route event in the intro which shouldn't be there and when i extract it tried to overite my PBS with another one.. 3rd but not least when i get through the intro the player is transfered to the correct map but its all black... im currently looking into how to correct this problem but i doubt i'll figure it out cause i dont have anyclue what he changed from the last version, i also notice the please dont forget to give credit if used was changed to You should give credit if used... it seems some1 feels they arent getting proper credit :) lol

Also when i try to play the demo itsself after intro it transfers me to a blank screen if you keep pressing the enter key you eventually save n then get an error the script is hanging and the game closes...

Shikamaru88
December 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
How would I go about switching it off based on what I have so far:

Name: Event08
Auto-Run

Page1:
Set move route stuff
Wait for move's completion
Transfer player
Control Switch: A = On

Page2:
Self Switch A is ON
Action Button
Graphic: Blank

You pretty much got it jusgt change the second page to autorun and its done...

I'd like to mention im still having problems with the new kit... i found an older version of the kit online so im usint that... i've had to update it alot and i'd like to keep using it but i am getting an error and i've tried to fix this error for over two hours... i changed the RGSS scripts changed the PBS files ect... here's a screenie of the error any1 have ideas?
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm224/UnitedGamer/error.png

People please help if you can...

Fraot
December 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
So, any clue about how to start the game directly on a map and after an intro sequence is done go to the title screen? I need that in order to make a cooler intro sequence, it's really hard trying to animate by scripting.

Nosman
December 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
i get this message when i test my game after using the pokemon follow tut can some one pleaz help

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Section126:445:in `addEvent2'undefined method `x' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
PBSpecies::PIKACHU,5
)
# Get the Pokémon just added
p=$Trainer.party[
$Trainer.party.length-1]
pbAutoLearnMove(p,PBMoves::TACKLE)
auto_change_without_animation

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

DependentEvents:15:in `pbAddDependen'

Pokemon folow you:160:in `auto_change_without_animation'

(eval):8:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

MykehDoom
December 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I just downloaded Pokeessentials for December 12. And I must say.. Alot of it doesnt work.. When you just play test the demo, theres an annoying thud sound over and over at the intro. And I fixed that on my own. Then when you actually do get to play, the maps all black with charsets on it. When it goes to start a battle it doesn't work. So many problems. Anyone have a better version of it?

Shikamaru88
December 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I just downloaded Pokeessentials for December 12. And I must say.. Alot of it doesnt work.. When you just play test the demo, theres an annoying thud sound over and over at the intro. And I fixed that on my own. Then when you actually do get to play, the maps all black with charsets on it. When it goes to start a battle it doesn't work. So many problems. Anyone have a better version of it?

Those are the problems i've been having... I respect all the hard work poccil has done but these problems seem like they are i dunno intentional... i hate to sy it but its just too big of a mess how do you release something like that... and i also noticed the credit text was changed to You better give credit attitude

So, any clue about how to start the game directly on a map and after an intro sequence is done go to the title screen? I need that in order to make a cooler intro sequence, it's really hard trying to animate by scripting.

I Wouldnt advise doing this unless you know excatly wut your doing... and since your asking its obvious you dont..

MykehDoom
December 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Those are the problems i've been having... I respect all the hard work poccil has done but these problems seem like they are i dunno intentional... i hate to sy it but its just too big of a mess how do you release something like that... and i also noticed the credit text was changed to You better give credit attitude

Yeah I understand completely. And Yeah a lot of the stuff on it, seem intentional. Does anyone have any older working versions with no problems? Or can someone fix the problems and re-up it?

Peeky Chew
December 16th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Have you set this new map to allow running? Running is not allowed on inside maps, which I think is what new maps default to.It's probably that. So how do I set it to allow running?

MykehDoom
December 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
It's probably that. So how do I set it to allow running?

Open the editor, and look at the metadata. Make sure the map you want running on is set to an outdoor map. I think you can only run on outdoor maps if I'm not mistaken. I havent worked on a poke game since 2006 but If my memory serves me right, that's what ya have ta do. I hope it works for you.

Then just compile the metadata and test it.

Fraot
December 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I Wouldnt advise doing this unless you know excatly wut your doing... and since your asking its obvious you dont..

Ahem... that's why I'm asking, because I don't know, I know how to start directly on a map on an original RMXP game, but this poke game engine has its own SDK.

Maruno
December 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Problem: In battle, the player's pokémon bobs up and down by a pixel or two. If you use a move when the pokémon is "down", that "down" position becomes the new "up" for the next round. In a long enough battle, and timing the clicks just right, you can make your pokémon sink off the bottom of the screen.

I'm using the 3rd Feb 2009 version of Essentials, so I don't know if this problem has since been fixed, or whether it's just that no one's noticed it.

What's the solution for this?
Bumping, because the battle system is really quite messy so I can't find where the bobbing animation (amongst many other things) is done.

Rassalon
December 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I am sure there is a way of getting that grayish frame around the game in Pokemon essentials can anyone advise me how. I used to know i just forgot.

Luka S.J.
December 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Bumping, because the battle system is really quite messy so I can't find where the bobbing animation (amongst many other things) is done.

That was the thing I was just looking at recently, and after a devastating long battle my Pokemon was almost swallowed up by the bottom screen. In PokeBattle_ActualScene search for:
@spriteY+2
(I can't just tell you the line it's on since I've altered most of it so our lines wouldn't be the same)
Once you found it you should see something like:
if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY+2
self.visible=@spriteVisible
elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end
Change the text in red to your second position of the sprite (in my case the original position of the sprite is 128 for the y value, so I would just add 2 pixels more to make it 130). This way, if you have the fixed positions set, it won't surpass the limit. The Pokemon will stop moving at some point, but that shouldn't be too bothersome.

Nyu~♥!
December 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
'ello.. I added a new type, LIGHT into the PBTypes script.. but the images down't work out..

Like this:
http://i48.tinypic.com/o8dm61.png
iI tried so many things but it shows up all messy. This is how my "types.png" file is. It's attached.

Please help...

RMXPUser462
December 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM
'ello.. I added a new type, LIGHT into the PBTypes script.. but the images down't work out..

Like this:
iI tried so many things but it shows up all messy. This is how my "types.png" file is. It's attached.

Please help...

Is all you did was add a new "light" image to the types? or did you actually edit the script?

Maruno
December 17th, 2009, 07:35 AM
That was the thing I was just looking at recently, and after a devastating long battle my Pokemon was almost swallowed up by the bottom screen. In PokeBattle_ActualScene search for:
@spriteY+2(I can't just tell you the line it's on since I've altered most of it so our lines wouldn't be the same)
if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY+2
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
endChange the text in red to your second position of the sprite (in my case the original position of the sprite is 128 for the y value, so I would just add 2 pixels more to make it 130). This way, if you have the fixed positions set, it won't surpass the limit. The Pokemon will stop moving at some point, but that shouldn't be too bothersome.
Thanks for the help. To be honest, I hadn't looked into it that much.

I'm not entirely sure what the value would be that the red part should be replaced with. It's determined elsewhere, with all the metrics and everything added, so it's not just a fixed number for all pokémon. I could make it a fixed number, but that would require editing most of the back sprites so they sit at the bottom of the screen.

I think an alternate method might be to somehow edit this part just above the code you quoted:
def y=(value)
@spriteY=value if !@updating
super
end
Perhaps a line like:

@spriteY=value-2 if !@updating && ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1

i.e. whenever the y has had 2 added to it. Does this look reasonable? As far as I can tell, this part sets the new +2 value as the new @spriteY when the player selects a move to use, although I'm not sure how it does so (that !@updating should be preventing dodginess).

I may just have to edit all my back sprites and go with your method after all.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
December 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Alright, um, is anyone gonna tell those of us using the Dec.12th version how to get it working? I'm missing the PBS/Types notepad/wordpad file and according to others, the maps don't seem to be working....

Colbex
December 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have the November release, but there's never been a PBS/Types file... o.o

Shikamaru88
December 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Alright, um, is anyone gonna tell those of us using the Dec.12th version how to get it working? I'm missing the PBS/Types notepad/wordpad file and according to others, the maps don't seem to be working....

I have to use an olderversion till its fixed... I didnt feel like trying to fix it and i wouldnt know where to start since my PE is a very old version... i'd like to use the dce12 version but apparently we cant... So i suggest use an older version till its fixed...

Ahem... that's why I'm asking, because I don't know, I know how to start directly on a map on an original RMXP game, but this poke game engine has its own SDK.

I think This is what you want right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udf4Ar0ZecI

The only way i found you can do this is by taking away the players choice to choose Male or female. If your okay with that edit your intro file to look like this dont delete it though...

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4082/demoi.png

You dont have to include the switches and stuff above you can change it try experimenting just make sure you save before making changes
Now im sure that can be changed to where you actually dont have to take away the players choice to choose but I'll leave that up to you to figure out i just pointed you in the right direction...

KingCharizard
December 19th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have to use an olderversion till its fixed... I didnt feel like trying to fix it and i wouldnt know where to start since my PE is a very old version... i'd like to use the dce12 version but apparently we cant... So i suggest use an older version till its fixed...

Uh does anyone have an older version They can send me?

Colbex
December 19th, 2009, 06:13 AM
To anyone that needs it, the November release is in the Sapphire: Redux thread in Plot and Story Idea Space. o.o

Fraot
December 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM

I think This is what you want right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udf4Ar0ZecI

The only way i found you can do this is by taking away the players choice to choose Male or female. If your okay with that edit your intro file to look like this dont delete it though...

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4082/demoi.png

You dont have to include the switches and stuff above you can change it try experimenting just make sure you save before making changes
Now im sure that can be changed to where you actually dont have to take away the players choice to choose but I'll leave that up to you to figure out i just pointed you in the right direction...

Thanx... I think. But I dunno yet if what you gave is what I need. I meant: to start directly on a map, not after the "Continue" "New Game", and "Options", no no no. I mean, instead of showing those pictures from the title, to start directly on a map, and with an event show the screens and animate them, then, after the screens were shown, use a script to go to the Scene_Title Screen or something like that, AND, press C or Enter to go to the Load screen, then, choose between Continue, New Game or something like that.

Maruno
December 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Thanx... I think. But I dunno yet if what you gave is what I need. I meant: to start directly on a map, not after the "Continue" "New Game", and "Options", no no no. I mean, instead of showing those pictures from the title, to start directly on a map, and with an event show the screens and animate them, then, after the screens were shown, use a script to go to the Scene_Title Screen or something like that, AND, press C or Enter to go to the Load screen, then, choose between Continue, New Game or something like that.
So you want the very first thing to happen when you run the program is to appear on a map. I'm not entirely sure that's possible - how can one start playing a game before choosing whether they want to start a new game or load a saved one? Because that's what you're asking to do.

This strikes me as being an overly elaborate workaround, of the order of wanting a fancy animated opening (that you know how to do with events) - something like the Nidorino/Gengar battle at the beginning of Red/Blue? If so, then you'd need to code it in separately (although I think it'd be simpler than going straight to a map).

Scene_Intro handles what happens at the very beginning of the game. It displays the splash images, then goes to the start screen. You can either write a new section in there (or edit the "Splash Image" section) to display your animated scene (gifs are fine if you have it pre-animated, or you could spend ages animating it yourself in there by displaying and moving sprites around), or if you're still wanting this "straight to map" thing then maybe you could put that in there instead (see PokemonLoad, around line 300, for how to start a new game).

The best thing to do, though, would be to compromise and not faff around with this complicated stuff. Just put what you want after you start a new game, or turn it into a series of splash images or something. I wouldn't know, but it might work just fine if all you do is throw a gif in the Titles folder.

Shikamaru88
December 20th, 2009, 03:42 AM

Well im sorry i tried... I doubt what your asking is possible though...

|Maximus|
December 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Umm...somehow when I playtest my game, the person is on top of EVERYTHING. Even the characters, the buildings. It's like somehow I put on "Always on Top" which I didn't I even checked.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Spikey-Eared Pichu
December 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Is there an event on the map your testing on that causes the player to be Always on Top? If not, it may be that the tiles your using havn't be modified to be impassable or not.

|Maximus|
December 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Is there an event on the map your testing on that causes the player to be Always on Top? If not, it may be that the tiles your using havn't be modified to be impassable or not.

Tiles Modified - CHECK
Move Event - Pretty Sure its a Check, I will check again later.

Nyu~♥!
December 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Is all you did was add a new "light" image to the types? or did you actually edit the script?

I'm not THAT stupid. XD
Thanks for considering. Can anyone help?

KingCharizard
December 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Umm...somehow when I playtest my game, the person is on top of EVERYTHING. Even the characters, the buildings. It's like somehow I put on "Always on Top" which I didn't I even checked.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Did you edit the map in the database

Go to DATABASE > Tilesets

X = Cant walk
O = Can Walk

If that doesnt help maybe you can provide a screenshot?

Spinksy
December 20th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I have a problem. On one map, I can walk freely on the ground without running into Pokemon, the next map I'm on, I'll be walk on the dirt road and I'll run into an Onix. Help?

KingCharizard
December 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have a problem. On one map, I can walk freely on the ground without running into Pokemon, the next map I'm on, I'll be walk on the dirt road and I'll run into an Onix. Help?

Edit your encounters text file in the PBS folder Find the map number and delete all the stuff under the number...

Or use the editor select the encounters and find the map with the onix and either change or delete the encounters

thepsynergist
December 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
Maruno or someone please help me with this error. It occurs whenever I use the search function in the Pokedex. I really need this problem solved as soon as possible. Thank you for your time.

Pokemon Pyrite
Exception: NameErrorMessage: undefined local variable or method `dexdata' for #<PokemonPokedexScene:0x936f4f0>PokemonPokedex:449
:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:448
:in `find_all'PokemonPokedex:448
:in `each'PokemonPokedex:448
:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:775
:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:746
:in `loop'PokemonPokedex:801
:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:863
:in `pbPokedex'PokemonPokedex:840
:in `loop'
OK

KingCharizard
December 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Maruno or someone please help me with this error. It occurs whenever I use the search function in the Pokedex. I really need this problem solved as soon as possible. Thank you for your time.

Pokemon Pyrite
Exception: NameErrorMessage: undefined local variable or method `dexdata' for #<PokemonPokedexScene:0x936f4f0>PokemonPokedex:449
:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:448
:in `each'PokemonPokedex:448
:in `pbSearchDexList'PokemonPokedex:775
:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:746
:in `loop'PokemonPokedex:801
:in `pbDexSearch'PokemonPokedex:863
:in `pbPokedex'PokemonPokedex:840
:in `loop'
OK
What exactly are you trying to do? And from what i read it seems the thing doesn't exist... thats usually what a name error means...

Wichu
December 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
Just thought I'd show something neat I created while working on Raptor EX. You know the Braille code walls in R/S/E? Ever wanted to do something like that?

Here's a method to generate an image containing the Braille for a given string, containing only letters and the '.' (full stop), ',' (comma) and ' ' (space) symbols:

def pbCreateBrailleImage(string, filename)
charsPerRow = 13
patterns = [1, 3, 9, 25, 17, 11, 27, 19, 10, 26, 5, 7, 13, 29, 21, 15, 31, 23, 14, 30, 37, 51, 58, 57, 73, 53]
bitmap = Bitmap.new(charsPerRow * 32 - 14 + 32, 40 * ((string.length - 1) / charsPerRow + 1) - 10 + 32)
count = 0
black = Color.new(16, 16, 16)
grey = Color.new(208, 208, 200)
bitmap.fill_rect(bitmap.rect, Color.new(255, 255, 255))
string.upcase.each_byte{|c|
if c >= 65 && c < 91
pattern = patterns[c - 65]
elsif c.chr == "."
pattern = 50
elsif c.chr == ","
pattern = 2
else
pattern = 0
end
for i in 0...6
bitmap.fill_rect((count % charsPerRow) * 32 + (i / 3) * 12 + 16, (i % 3) * 12 + (count / charsPerRow) * 40 + 16, 6, 6, pattern & (1 << i) > 0 ? black : grey)
end
count += 1
}
bitmap.saveToPng(filename)
end

To use it, you call it giving the string and filename to save to:

pbCreateBrailleImage("Open the door. An eternal Pokemon awakes.", "Braille.png")

This produces:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2135/braille.png

To show the image in-game, use this method:

def pbShowImageInWindow(pathOrBitmap)
window = PictureWindow.new(pathOrBitmap)
window.x = (Graphics.width - window.width) / 2
window.y = (Graphics.height - bitmap.height) / 2
Audio.se_play("Audio/SE/Choose.wav")
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
window.update
pbUpdateSceneMap
break if Input.trigger?(Input::C) || Input.trigger?(Input::B)
end
window.dispose
Input.update
end

Call it in a Script... event command, passing the filename of the image or a Bitmap object. For example:

pbShowImageInWindow("Graphics/Pictures/Braille.png")

This produces:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3011/braillescreen.png

Hopefully, someone will find this useful (or at least, interesting).

The Dewitty
December 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Just thought I'd show something neat I created while working on Raptor EX. You know the Braille code walls in R/S/E? Ever wanted to do something like that?

Here's a method to generate an image containing the Braille for a given string, containing only letters and the '.' (full stop), ',' (comma) and ' ' (space) symbols:

def pbCreateBrailleImage(string, filename)
charsPerRow = 13
patterns = [1, 3, 9, 25, 17, 11, 27, 19, 10, 26, 5, 7, 13, 29, 21, 15, 31, 23, 14, 30, 37, 51, 58, 57, 73, 53]
bitmap = Bitmap.new(charsPerRow * 32 - 14 + 32, 40 * ((string.length - 1) / charsPerRow + 1) - 10 + 32)
count = 0
black = Color.new(16, 16, 16)
grey = Color.new(208, 208, 200)
bitmap.fill_rect(bitmap.rect, Color.new(255, 255, 255))
string.upcase.each_byte{|c|
if c >= 65 && c < 91
pattern = patterns[c - 65]
elsif c.chr == "."
pattern = 50
elsif c.chr == ","
pattern = 2
else
pattern = 0
end
for i in 0...6
bitmap.fill_rect((count % charsPerRow) * 32 + (i / 3) * 12 + 16, (i % 3) * 12 + (count / charsPerRow) * 40 + 16, 6, 6, pattern & (1 << i) > 0 ? black : grey)
end
count += 1
}
bitmap.saveToPng(filename)
end

To use it, you call it giving the string and filename to save to:

pbCreateBrailleImage("Open the door. An eternal Pokemon awakes.", "Braille.png")

This produces:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2135/braille.png

To show the image in-game, use this method:

def pbShowImageInWindow(pathOrBitmap)
window = PictureWindow.new(pathOrBitmap)
window.x = (Graphics.width - window.width) / 2
window.y = (Graphics.height - bitmap.height) / 2
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
window.update
pbUpdateSceneMap
end
window.dispose
Input.update
end

Call it in a Script... event command, passing the filename of the image or a Bitmap object. For example:

pbShowImageInWindow("Graphics/Pictures/Braille.png")

This produces:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3011/braillescreen.png

Hopefully, someone will find this useful (or at least, interesting).

I'm soo gonna use it! Seriously!

|Maximus|
December 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Did you edit the map in the database

Go to DATABASE > Tilesets

X = Cant walk
O = Can Walk

If that doesnt help maybe you can provide a screenshot?

Read what I said, he is also on characters too! The passage is all perfected, I just don't know whats wrong with it.

FinalEclipse
December 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM
is there any way to make an event similar to the old man script?

i wanted to know so i can implement it into my new game

KingCharizard
December 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
is there any way to make an event similar to the old man script?

i wanted to know so i can implement it into my new game

You mean the old man in vidirian city right? This is possible... Let me point out what i've gathered from your posts... you wanna make a game, but you have very limited know how of the kit and RMXP, also you want features that require Scripting in ruby, I can send you a ebook to read to learn RUBY I can also point you out to the RMXP Manual that should help but no one is gonna make these things for you you have to learn and make an effort...

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Read what I said, he is also on characters too! The passage is all perfected, I just don't know whats wrong with it.

Take a screenshot, press F8 while in the game mode and post it here... Im not sure either... are you using an actual charset? if so try re importing it...

Wichu
December 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Looking back, it would probably be best if I joined the two scripts into one... I'll do that tomorrow :)

|Maximus|
December 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Take a screenshot, press F8 while in the game mode and post it here... Im not sure either... are you using an actual charset? if so try re importing it...

Ok listen, I appreciate you helping me, but stop talking to me as if I am some little kid. I know perfectly how to take a screenshot. It is an actual charset.

Poeman
December 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Variety, try changing the view mode to custom and original, see if that helps, also set a move event for the player to not be always on top, if any of these work then the problem was you, otherwise I would need to take a look at the project(which could take around a day) and I don't feel like doing that XD

thepsynergist
December 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? And from what i read it seems the thing doesn't exist... thats usually what a name error means...

I am just trying to make it so that you can use the Pokedex search function, and this error prevents it. Has anyone made a fix to it, or would it be better to just remove it altogether?

Wichu
December 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
I am just trying to make it so that you can use the Pokedex search function, and this error prevents it. Has anyone made a fix to it, or would it be better to just remove it altogether?

As far as I can tell, this has been fixed in the newest release... Could you post your PokemonPokedex script?

Anyway, as I said, I've improved the Braille script.

class BrailleWindow < SpriteWindow_Base

attr_reader :text
attr_accessor :charsPerRow
attr_accessor :dotSize
attr_accessor :dotSpacing
attr_accessor :charSpacing
attr_accessor :rowSpacing
attr_accessor :backgroundColor
attr_accessor :darkColor
attr_accessor :lightColor
attr_accessor :borderWidth
attr_accessor :borderHeight

PATTERNS = [1, 3, 9, 25, 17, 11, 27, 19, 10, 26, 5, 7, 13, 29, 21, 15, 31, 23,
14, 30, 37, 51, 58, 57, 73, 53]

def initialize(text=nil)
super(0,0,0,0)
@text = text
@charsPerRow = 13
@dotSize = 6
@dotSpacing = 6
@charSpacing = 14
@rowSpacing = 14
@backgroundColor = Color.new(255, 255, 255)
@darkColor = Color.new(16, 16, 16)
@lightColor = Color.new(208, 208, 200)
@borderWidth = 16
@borderHeight = 16
@charWidth = 0
@fullDotSize = 0
@rowHeight = 0
pbDrawBraille if text
end

def pbDrawBraille(text=nil)
@text = text if text
count = 0
pbRefreshContents
self.contents.fill_rect(self.contents.rect, @backgroundColor)
@text.upcase.each_byte{|c|
if c >= 65 && c < 91
pattern = PATTERNS[c - 65]
elsif c.chr == "."
pattern = 50
elsif c.chr == ","
pattern = 2
else
pattern = 0
end
for i in 0...6
self.contents.fill_rect(
(count % @charsPerRow) * @charWidth + (i / 3) * @fullDotSize + @borderWidth,
(i % 3) * @fullDotSize + (count / @charsPerRow) * @rowHeight + @borderHeight,
@dotSize, @dotSize, pattern & (1 << i) > 0 ? @darkColor : @lightColor)
end
count += 1
}
end

def pbRefreshContents
@charWidth = 2 * @dotSize + @dotSpacing + @charSpacing
@fullDotSize = @dotSize + @dotSpacing
@rowHeight = @dotSize * 3 + @dotSpacing * 2 + @rowSpacing
numChars = [@charsPerRow, @text.length].min
self.contents.dispose if self.contents
self.contents = Bitmap.new(numChars * @charWidth - @charSpacing + @borderWidth * 2,
@rowHeight * ((@text.length - 1) / @charsPerRow + 1) - @rowSpacing + @borderHeight * 2)
self.width = self.contents.width + 32
self.height = self.contents.height + 32
end

def pbCenter
self.x = (Graphics.width - self.width) / 2
self.y = (Graphics.height - self.height) / 2
end

end

def pbBrailleMessage(text)
window=BrailleWindow.new(text)
window.pbCenter
pbPlayDecisionSE
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
window.update
pbUpdateSceneMap
end
window.dispose
Input.update
end

Now you don't need to fiddle about with image files etc - just call
pbBrailleMessage(text)
in an event; for example:
pbBrailleMessage(_I("Open the door. An eternal Pokemon awakes."))
It's also a lot more customisable. You can change the properties of how the text is drawn; for example, you can change the colours and the dot size. It's up to you how to use it :)

KingCharizard
December 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
Im Actually curious if i create my own script is there any special place it should be added? Like above pbitems or below pokemonutilties

Wichu
December 22nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
It must be above Main. If you have anything in your script which is not within a method definition, you have to place it below any scripts which it refers to. For example, if you have a script to write the names of Pokémon to a text file:
def writeNames
File.open("Example.txt"){|f|
for i in 1..PBSpecies.getCount
f.write(PBSpecies.getName(i))
end
}
end
writeNames
In this case, 'writeNames' calls a method which refers to PBSpecies; therefore, this script must be placed below where PBSpecies is defined (PokemonSystem).

Also, if your script modifies existing classes (for example, adding a new method to Game_Player or modifying the initialization method of PokeBattle_Pokemon), it must obviously be placed below the script you're modifying. I don't think this really applies for the first, but it's good to stay on the safe side; if the class then defines a method with the same name as yours, yours will be overwritten. If you place it after the main class definition, you can make sure yours is the one which is kept.

I find it best to make a new script section for any scriptlets I need to add (called, for example, AddedStuff), placing it right at the bottom (but above Main) so it's second-last in the editor. If you want it to be run before data is compiled in Debug mode, you can place it above Compiler.

KingCharizard
December 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks thats what i thought... I think its smart to put it last right before main and I too will place it there... My heads full with ideas that require scripting and Im not new to scripting but im new to ruby and the RGSS script layout...

Trep
December 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hey ! Ive downloaded this game, but I can't save ingame... I always have to start a new game when I close the game. But ingame, it tell me that all was saved.

Why :(

I would appreciate any help :) Thanks.

(Sorry for my english).

Luka S.J.
December 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Ok listen, I appreciate you helping me, but stop talking to me as if I am some little kid. I know perfectly how to take a screenshot. It is an actual charset.

Ok relax for a bit first. What I think you did is in any of your events you have turned on the function "Through ON" for the player. Which makes the player walk as if the "Ctrl" key is held. Just make a random event anywhere and set it to "Through OFF" for the player, which hopefully should resolve your problem. Find the faulty event and fix it. That's all I can say.

KingCharizard
December 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM

I apologize I never ment to make you feel that way its just sometimes people dont know how to capture screens... And what Luka said sounds correct...

|Maximus|
December 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
I apologize I never ment to make you feel that way its just sometimes people dont know how to capture screens... And what Luka said sounds correct...

Sorry for being rude, I didn't mean it. It isn't that he walks through everything, he walks over everything that has a 'O' in the Database.

KingCharizard
December 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Sorry for being rude, I didn't mean it. It isn't that he walks through everything, he walks over everything that has a 'O' in the Database.

at the risk of sounding repetive and dumb heres what I think could be happening

Ok are you sure your editing the right tileset... for instance I use two different tilesets for different maps, its the same tileset just with a different orgin...
Here is what i mean,
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm224/UnitedGamer/Demo3-1.png

see how they all look the same, check map properties make sure you edited the right one... this is my last idea if this doesn't help then i dunno what to tell you, And im sorry i couldnt help.

Luka S.J.
December 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM

Then somewhere in the events you set the player to be on top of everything, or you haven't set the priorities of your various terrains right. Check both of those. Things like this are usually RMXP eventing errors, and not the starter kit's scripting.

Soul.//Silver
December 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
As far as I can tell, this has been fixed in the newest release... Could you post your PokemonPokedex script?

Anyway, as I said, I've improved the Braille script.

class BrailleWindow < SpriteWindow_Base

attr_reader :text
attr_accessor :charsPerRow
attr_accessor :dotSize
attr_accessor :dotSpacing
attr_accessor :charSpacing
attr_accessor :rowSpacing
attr_accessor :backgroundColor
attr_accessor :darkColor
attr_accessor :lightColor
attr_accessor :borderWidth
attr_accessor :borderHeight

PATTERNS = [1, 3, 9, 25, 17, 11, 27, 19, 10, 26, 5, 7, 13, 29, 21, 15, 31, 23,
14, 30, 37, 51, 58, 57, 73, 53]

def initialize(text=nil)
super(0,0,0,0)
@text = text
@charsPerRow = 13
@dotSize = 6
@dotSpacing = 6
@charSpacing = 14
@rowSpacing = 14
@backgroundColor = Color.new(255, 255, 255)
@darkColor = Color.new(16, 16, 16)
@lightColor = Color.new(208, 208, 200)
@borderWidth = 16
@borderHeight = 16
@charWidth = 0
@fullDotSize = 0
@rowHeight = 0
pbDrawBraille if text
end

def pbDrawBraille(text=nil)
@text = text if text
count = 0
pbRefreshContents
self.contents.fill_rect(self.contents.rect, @backgroundColor)
@text.upcase.each_byte{|c|
if c >= 65 && c < 91
pattern = PATTERNS[c - 65]
elsif c.chr == "."
pattern = 50
elsif c.chr == ","
pattern = 2
else
pattern = 0
end
for i in 0...6
self.contents.fill_rect(
(count % @charsPerRow) * @charWidth + (i / 3) * @fullDotSize + @borderWidth,
(i % 3) * @fullDotSize + (count / @charsPerRow) * @rowHeight + @borderHeight,
@dotSize, @dotSize, pattern & (1 << i) > 0 ? @darkColor : @lightColor)
end
count += 1
}
end

def pbRefreshContents
@charWidth = 2 * @dotSize + @dotSpacing + @charSpacing
@fullDotSize = @dotSize + @dotSpacing
@rowHeight = @dotSize * 3 + @dotSpacing * 2 + @rowSpacing
numChars = [@charsPerRow, @text.length].min
self.contents = Bitmap.new(numChars * @charWidth - @charSpacing + @borderWidth * 2,
@rowHeight * ((@text.length - 1) / @charsPerRow + 1) - @rowSpacing + @borderHeight * 2)
self.width = self.contents.width + 32
self.height = self.contents.height + 32
end

def pbCenter
self.x = (Graphics.width - self.width) / 2
self.y = (Graphics.height - self.height) / 2
end

end

def pbBrailleMessage(text)
window=BrailleWindow.new(text)
window.pbCenter
pbPlayDecisionSE
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
window.update
pbUpdateSceneMap
end
window.dispose
Input.update
end

Now you don't need to fiddle about with image files etc - just call
pbBrailleMessage(text)
in an event; for example:
pbBrailleMessage(_I("Open the door. An eternal Pokemon awakes."))
It's also a lot more customisable. You can change the properties of how the text is drawn; for example, you can change the colours and the dot size. It's up to you how to use it :)

Hey Wichu, just tried this out and got the following.
The Braille still shows up on screen however.
Pokemon Dusk Gold

Message: Script error within event 7, map 159 (Sky Mountain):

Section128:84:in `pbBrailleMessage'undefined local variable or method `pbPlayDecisionSE' for #<Interpreter:0xa6c1058>

***Full script:

pbBrailleMessage(_I("The creator of
Water, Kyogre."))

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'

OK

thepsynergist
December 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM

Sure, Here is the code:

class Window_Pokedex < SpriteWindow_Selectable
attr_reader :baseColor
attr_reader :shadowColor
def initialize(x,y,width,height)
@starting=true
super(x,y,width,height)
@selarrow=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/selarrow.png")
@pokeball=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/pokeball.png")
@baseColor=Color.new(9<<3,9<<3,9<<3)
@shadowColor=Color.new(26<<3,26<<3,26<<3)
self.index=0
@commands=[]
@item_max=0
@starting=false
refresh
end
def commands=(value)
@commands=value
refresh
end
def dispose
@selarrow.dispose
@pokeball.dispose
super
end
def species
return @commands.length==0 ? 0 : @commands[self.index][0]
end
def refresh
return if @starting
@item_max=@commands.length
dheight=self.height-32
dwidth=self.width-32
if !self.contents || self.contents.disposed? ||
self.contents.height<dheight || self.contents.width<dwidth
self.contents=Bitmap.new([1,dwidth].max,[1,dheight].max)
pbSetSystemFont(self.contents)
end
self.contents.clear
contentsWidth=self.contents.width
ypos=0
for i in 0...@item_max
if i<self.top_row || i>self.top_row+self.page_row_max
next
end
pbCopyBitmap(self.contents,@selarrow,0,ypos) if self.index==i
indexNumber=@commands[i][4]
species=@commands[i][0]
if $Trainer.seen[species]
j=self.top_row
if $Trainer.owned[species]
pbCopyBitmap(self.contents,@pokeball,210,(i-j)*32)
end
text=_ISPRINTF("No.{1:03d} {2:s}",indexNumber,@commands[i][1])
else
text=_ISPRINTF("No.{1:03d} ----------",indexNumber)
end
self.contents.font.color=@shadowColor
pbDrawShadow(self.contents,16,ypos,self.contents.width-16,32,text)
self.contents.font.color=@baseColor
self.contents.draw_text(16,ypos,self.contents.width-16,32,text)
ypos+=32
end
end
def update
dorefresh=false
oldindex=self.index
super
dorefresh=(self.index!=oldindex)
refresh if dorefresh
end
end

class Window_ComplexCommandPokemon < SpriteWindow_Selectable
attr_reader :baseColor
attr_reader :shadowColor
attr_reader :commands
def getAutoDims(commands,dims,width=nil)
windowheight=commands.length*32+32
windowheight=33 if windowheight<33
if !width || width<0
width=0
tmpbitmap=Bitmap.new(1,1)
pbSetSystemFont(tmpbitmap)
for i in commands
width=[width,tmpbitmap.text_size(i).width].max
end
width+=64
tmpbitmap.dispose
else
width=[33,width].max
end
dims[0]=width
dims[1]=windowheight
end
def initialize(commands,width=nil)
@starting=true
@commands=commands
dims=[]
getAutoDims(commands,dims,width)
super(0,0,dims[0],dims[1])
@item_max=commands.length
@selarrow=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/selarrow.png")
@index=0
self.active=true
@baseColor=Color.new(12*8,12*8,12*8)
@shadowColor=Color.new(26*8,26*8,25*8)
refresh
@starting=false
end
def self.newEmpty(x,y,width,height,viewport=nil)
ret=self.new([],width)
ret.x=x
ret.y=y
ret.width=width
ret.height=height
ret.viewport=viewport
return ret
end
def index=(value)
super
refresh if !@starting
end
def indexToCommand(index)
curindex=0
i=0; loop do break unless i<@commands.length
return [i/2,-1] if index==curindex
curindex+=1
return [i/2,index-curindex] if index-curindex<commands[i+1].length
curindex+=commands[i+1].length
i+=2
end
return [-1,-1]
end
def getText(array,index)
cmd=indexToCommand(index)
return "" if cmd[0]==-1
return array[cmd[0]*2] if cmd[1]<0
return array[cmd[0]*2+1][cmd[1]]
end
def commands=(value)
@commands=value
@item_max=commands.length
self.index=self.index
end
def width=(value)
super
if !@starting
self.index=self.index
end
end
def height=(value)
super
if !@starting
self.index=self.index
end
end
def resizeToFit(commands)
dims=[]
getAutoDims(commands,dims)
self.width=dims[0]
self.height=dims[1]
end
def dispose
@selarrow.dispose
super
end
def baseColor=(value)
@baseColor=value
refresh
end
def shadowColor=(value)
@shadowColor=value
refresh
end
def refresh
dwidth=self.width-32
dheight=self.height-32
@item_max=0
@item_max+=1+@commands[i+1].length
i+=2
end
if !self.contents || self.contents.disposed? ||
self.contents.width<dwidth ||
self.contents.height<dheight
self.contents=Bitmap.new([1,dwidth].max,[1,dheight].max)
pbSetSystemFont(self.contents)
end
self.contents.clear
contentsWidth=self.contents.width
ypos=0
icommand=0
if icommand>=self.top_row && icommand<self.top_row+self.page_row_max
self.contents.font.color=self.shadowColor
pbDrawShadow(self.contents,0,ypos,contentsWidth,32,@commands[i])
self.contents.font.color=self.baseColor
self.contents.draw_text(0,ypos,contentsWidth,32,@commands[i])
ypos+=32
end
icommand+=1
for j in 0...@commands[i+1].length
if icommand>=self.top_row && icommand<self.top_row+self.page_row_max
pbCopyBitmap(self.contents,@selarrow,0,ypos) if self.index==icommand
self.contents.font.color=self.shadowColor
pbDrawShadow(self.contents,16,ypos,contentsWidth-16,32,@commands[i+1][j])
self.contents.font.color=self.baseColor
self.contents.draw_text(16,ypos,contentsWidth-16,32,@commands[i+1][j])
ypos+=32
end
icommand+=1
end
i+=2
end
end
def update
oldindex=self.index
super
refresh if self.index!=oldindex
end
end

class PokemonPokedexScene

def setIconBitmap(file)
@sprites["icon"].setBitmap(file)
if @sprites["icon"].bitmap
@sprites["icon"].ox=@sprites["icon"].bitmap.width/2
@sprites["icon"].oy=@sprites["icon"].bitmap.height/2
end
end

#
# Gets the region used for displaying Pokédex entries.
# Species will be listed according to the given region's
# numbering and the returned region can have any value
# defined in the town map data file. It's currently
# set to the return value of pbGetCurrentRegion,
# and thus will change according to the current map's
# MapPosition metadata setting.
#
def pbGetPokedexRegion
return pbGetCurrentRegion()
end

def pbStartScene
@sprites={}
@viewport=Viewport.new(0,0,Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
@viewport.z=99999
@sprites["pokedex"]=Window_Pokedex.new(
160,0,Graphics.width-160,Graphics.height)
@sprites["pokedex"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["dexentry"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["dexentry"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/dexentry.png")
@sprites["dexentry"].visible=false
@sprites["overlay"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap=Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
pbSetSystemFont(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap)
@sprites["overlay"].x=0
@sprites["overlay"].y=0
@sprites["overlay"].visible=false
@sprites["iconback"]=IconWindow.new(0,0,160,160)
@sprites["iconback"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["auxlist"]=Window_CommandPokemon.newEmpty(272,0,208,224,@viewport)
@sprites["searchlist"]=Window_ComplexCommandPokemon.newEmpty(0,0,272,224,@viewport)
@sprites["infowindow"]=Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize("",0,160,160,160,@viewport)
@sprites["messagebox"]=Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
pbBottomLeftLines(@sprites["messagebox"],2)
@sprites["messagebox"].letterbyletter=false
@sprites["messagebox"].visible=false
@sprites["messagebox"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["auxlist"].visible=false
@sprites["searchlist"].visible=false
addBackgroundPlane(@sprites,"searchbg","searchbg.png",@viewport)
=begin
# Suggestion for changing the background depending on region. You
# can change the line below with the following:
if pbGetPokedexRegion()==-1 # Using national Pokédex
addBackgroundPlane(@sprites,"background","pokedexbg_national.png",@viewport)
elsif pbGetPokedexRegion()==0 # Using regional Pokédex
addBackgroundPlane(@sprites,"background","pokedexbg_regional.png",@viewport)
end
=end
addBackgroundPlane(@sprites,"background","pokedexbg.png",@viewport)
@sprites["searchbg"].visible=false
@sprites["icon"]=IconSprite.new(80,80,@viewport)
@searchResults=false
pbRefreshDexList($PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex)
pbFadeInAndShow(@sprites)
end

def pbDexSearchCommands(commands,selitem,helptexts=nil)
ret=-1
auxlist=@sprites["auxlist"]
messagebox=@sprites["messagebox"]
auxlist.commands=commands
auxlist.index=selitem
messagebox.text=helptexts ? helptexts[auxlist.index] : ""
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
oldindex=auxlist.index
auxlist.update
if auxlist.index!=oldindex && helptexts
messagebox.text=helptexts[auxlist.index]
end
if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
ret=selitem
break
end
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
ret=auxlist.index
break
end
end
@sprites["auxlist"].commands=[]
Input.update
return ret
end

def pbCanAddForModeList?(mode,nationalSpecies)
case mode
when 0
return true
when 1
return $Trainer.seen[nationalSpecies]
when 2, 3, 4, 5
return $Trainer.owned[nationalSpecies]
end
end

def pbCanAddForModeSearch?(mode,nationalSpecies)
case mode
when 0, 1
return $Trainer.seen[nationalSpecies]
when 2, 3, 4, 5
return $Trainer.owned[nationalSpecies]
end
end

def pbGetDexList()
dexlist=[]
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
region=pbGetPokedexRegion()
regionalSpecies=pbAllRegionalSpecies(region)
if regionalSpecies.length==1
# No regional species defined,
# use national Pokédex order
for i in 1..PBSpecies.getCount
regionalSpecies.push(i)
end
end
for i in 1...regionalSpecies.length
nationalSpecies=regionalSpecies[i]
if pbCanAddForModeList?($PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode,nationalSpecies)
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,nationalSpecies,33)
height=dexdata.fgetw
weight=dexdata.fgetw
# Pushing national species, name, height, weight, index number
dexlist.push([nationalSpecies,
PBSpecies.getName(nationalSpecies),height,weight,i])
end
end
dexdata.close
return dexlist
end

def pbRefreshDexList(index=0)
dexlist=pbGetDexList()
case $PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode
when 0 # Numerical mode
# Remove species not seen from the list
i=0; loop do break unless i<dexlist.length
break if $Trainer.seen[dexlist[i][0]]
dexlist[i]=nil
i+=1
end
i=dexlist.length-1; loop do break unless i>=0
break if !dexlist[i] || $Trainer.seen[dexlist[i][0]]
dexlist[i]=nil
i-=1
end
dexlist.compact!
# Sort species in ascending order by
# index number, not national species
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[4]<=>b[4]}
when 1 # Alphabetical mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[1]<=>b[1]}
when 2 # Heaviest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[3]<=>a[3]}
when 3 # Lightest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[3]<=>b[3]}
when 4 # Tallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[2]<=>a[2]}
when 5 # Smallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[2]<=>b[2]}
end
if !@searchResults
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_ISPRINTF("SEEN: {1:d}\r\nOWN: {2:d}\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH",$Trainer.pokedexSeen,$Trainer.pokedexOwned)
else
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_INTL("X: BACK\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH")
end
@dexlist=dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].commands=@dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].index=index
@sprites["pokedex"].refresh
iconspecies=@sprites["pokedex"].species
iconspecies=0 if !$Trainer.seen[iconspecies]
setIconBitmap(pbPokemonBitmapFile(iconspecies,false))
end

def pbSearchDexList(params)
dexlist=pbGetDexList()
if params[0]!=0 # Filter by name
nameCommands=[
"",_INTL("ABC"),_INTL("DEF"),_INTL("GHI"),
_INTL("JKL"),_INTL("MNO"),_INTL("PQR"),
_INTL("STU"),_INTL("VWX"),_INTL("YZ")
]
scanNameCommand=nameCommands[params[0]].scan(/./)
dexlist=dexlist.find_all {|item|
firstChar=item[1][0,1]
next scanNameCommand.any? { |v| v==firstChar }
}
end
if params[1]!=0 # Filter by color
dexdata.pos=76*(item[0]-1)+6
color=dexdata.fgetb
next color==params[1]-1
}
end
if params[2]!=0 || params[3]!=0 # Filter by type
typeCommands=[
]
stype1=typeCommands[params[2]]
stype2=typeCommands[params[3]]
dexdata.pos=76*(item[0]-1)+8
type1=dexdata.fgetb
type2=dexdata.fgetb
if stype1>=0 && stype2>=0
# Find species that match both types
next (stype1==type1 && stype2==type2) ||
(stype1==type2 && stype2==type1)
elsif stype1>=0
# Find species that match first type entered
next type1==stype1 || type2==stype1
else
# Find species that match second type entered
next type1==stype2 || type2==stype2
end
}
end
dexdata.close
case params[4]
when 0 # Numerical mode
# Sort by index number, not
# national number
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[4]<=>b[4]}
when 1 # Alphabetical mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[1]<=>b[1]}
when 2 # Heaviest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[3]<=>a[3]}
when 3 # Lightest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[3]<=>b[3]}
when 4 # Tallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| b[2]<=>a[2]}
when 5 # Smallest mode
dexlist.sort!{|a,b| a[2]<=>b[2]}
end
return dexlist
end

def pbRefreshDexSearch(params)
searchlist=@sprites["searchlist"]
searchlist.commands=[
_INTL("SEARCH"),[
_ISPRINTF("NAME: {1:s}",@nameCommands[params[0]]),
_ISPRINTF("COLOR: {1:s}",@colorCommands[params[1]]),
_ISPRINTF("TYPE 1: {1:s}",@typeCommands[params[2]]),
_ISPRINTF("TYPE 2: {1:s}",@typeCommands[params[3]]),
_ISPRINTF("ORDER: {1:s}",@orderCommands[params[4]]),
_INTL("START SEARCH")
],
_INTL("SHIFT"),[
_ISPRINTF("ORDER: {1:s}",@orderCommands[params[5]]),
_INTL("START SHIFT")
],
_INTL("OTHER"),[
_INTL("CANCEL")
]
]
helptexts=[
_INTL("Search for Pokémon based on selected parameters."),[
_INTL("List by the first letter in the name.\r\nSpotted Pokémon only."),
_INTL("List by body color.\r\nSpotted Pokémon only."),
_INTL("List by type.\r\nOwned Pokémon only."),
_INTL("List by type.\r\nOwned Pokémon only."),
_INTL("Select the Pokédex listing mode."),
_INTL("Execute search."),
],
_INTL("Switch Pokédex listings."),[
_INTL("Select the Pokédex listing mode."),
_INTL("Execute switch."),
],
_INTL("Return to the Pokédex."),[
_INTL("Return to the Pokédex.")
]
]
messagebox.text=searchlist.getText(helptexts,searchlist.index)
end

def pbChangeToDexEntry(species)
@sprites["dexentry"].visible=true
@sprites["overlay"].visible=true
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap.clear
basecolor=Color.new(0,0,0)
shadowcolor=Color.new(184,184,184)
indexNumber=pbGetRegionalNumber(pbGetPokedexRegion(),species)
indexNumber=species if indexNumber==0
textpos=[
[_ISPRINTF("No. {1:03d} {2:s}",indexNumber,PBSpecies.getName(species)),96*2,24*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor],
[sprintf(_INTL("HT")),96*2,56*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor],
[sprintf(_INTL("WT")),96*2,72*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor]
]
if $Trainer.owned[species]
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,33)
height=dexdata.fgetw
weight=dexdata.fgetw
dexdata.close
kind=pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::Kinds,species)
dexentry=pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::Entries,species)
inches=(height/0.254).round
pounds=(weight/0.45359).round
textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:s} POKéMON",kind),100*2,40*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:.1f} m",height/10.0),184*2,56*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:.1f} kg",weight/10.0),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:d}'{2:02d}\"",inches/12,inches%12),146*2,56*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_ISPRINTF("{1:4.1f} lbs.",pounds/10),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
drawTextEx(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap,
8*2,96*2,232*2,4,dexentry,basecolor,shadowcolor)
else
textpos.push([_INTL("????? POKéMON"),100*2,40*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_INTL("???.? m"),184*2,56*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
textpos.push([_INTL("???.? kg"),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_INTL("??'??\""),146*2,56*2,0,basecolor,shadowcolor])
# textpos.push([_INTL("???.? lbs."),184*2,72*2,1,basecolor,shadowcolor])
end
pbDrawTextPositions(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap,textpos)
pkmnbitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap(pbPokemonBitmapFile(species,false))
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap.blt(
40-(pkmnbitmap.width-128)/2,
48-(pkmnbitmap.height-128)/2,
pkmnbitmap,pkmnbitmap.rect)
pkmnbitmap.dispose
pbPlayCry(species)
end

def pbStartDexEntryScene(species)
@sprites={}
@viewport=Viewport.new(0,0,Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
@viewport.z=99999
@sprites["dexentry"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["dexentry"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/dexentry.png")
@sprites["dexentry"].visible=false
@sprites["overlay"]=SpriteWrapper.new(@viewport)
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap=Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
pbSetSystemFont(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap)
@sprites["overlay"].x=0
@sprites["overlay"].y=0
@sprites["overlay"].visible=false
pbChangeToDexEntry(species)
end

def pbMiddleDexEntryScene
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
if Input.trigger?(Input::B) || Input.trigger?(Input::C)
break
end
end
end

def pbDexEntry(index)
oldsprites=pbFadeOutAndHide(@sprites)
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[index][0])
curindex=index
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
pbFadeOutAndHide(@sprites)
scene=PokemonAreaMapScene.new
screen=PokemonAreaMap.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen(@dexlist[curindex][0])
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[curindex][0])
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::B)
break
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::A)
pbPlayCry(@dexlist[curindex][0])
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::UP)
nextindex=-1
i=curindex-1; loop do break unless i>=0
if $Trainer.seen[@dexlist[i][0]]
nextindex=i
break
end
i-=1
end
if nextindex>=0
Input.update
pbChangeToDexEntry(@dexlist[nextindex][0])
curindex=nextindex
end
next
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::DOWN)
nextindex=-1
for i in curindex+1...@dexlist.length
nextindex=i
break
end
end
if nextindex>=0
Input.update
curindex=nextindex
end
next
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::LEFT)
nextindex=-1
nextindex=i
break
end
end
if nextindex>=0
Input.update
curindex=nextindex
end
next
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::RIGHT)
nextindex=-1
nextindex=i
break
end
end
if nextindex>=0
Input.update
curindex=nextindex
end
next
end
end
$PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex=curindex if !@searchResults
@sprites["pokedex"].index=curindex
pbFadeInAndShow(@sprites,oldsprites)
end

def pbDexSearch
params=[]
params[0]=0
params[1]=0
params[2]=0
params[3]=0
params[4]=0
params[5]=$PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode
@nameCommands=[
_INTL("DON'T SPECIFY"),
_INTL("ABC"),_INTL("DEF"),_INTL("GHI"),
_INTL("JKL"),_INTL("MNO"),_INTL("PQR"),
_INTL("STU"),_INTL("VWX"),_INTL("YZ")
]
@typeCommands=[
_INTL("NONE"),
_INTL("NORMAL"),_INTL("FIGHTING"),_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),_INTL("GROUND"),_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),_INTL("GHOST"),_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("FIRE"),_INTL("WATER"),_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),_INTL("PSYCHIC"),_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),_INTL("DARK")
]
@colorCommands=[
_INTL("DON'T SPECIFY"),
_INTL("RED"),_INTL("BLUE"),_INTL("YELLOW"),
_INTL("GREEN"),_INTL("BLACK"),_INTL("BROWN"),
_INTL("PURPLE"),_INTL("GRAY"),_INTL("WHITE"),_INTL("PINK")
]
@orderCommands=[
_INTL("NUMERIC MODE"),
_INTL("A TO Z MODE"),
_INTL("HEAVIEST MODE"),
_INTL("LIGHTEST MODE"),
_INTL("TALLEST MODE"),
_INTL("SMALLEST MODE")
]
@orderHelp=[
_INTL("Pokémon are listed according to their number."),
_INTL("Spotted and owned Pokémon are listed alphabetically."),
_INTL("Owned Pokémon are listed from the heaviest to the lightest."),
_INTL("Owned Pokémon are listed from the lightest to the heaviest."),
_INTL("Owned Pokémon are listed from the tallest to the smallest."),
_INTL("Owned Pokémon are listed from the smallest to the tallest.")
]
@sprites["searchlist"].index=1
searchlist=@sprites["searchlist"]
@sprites["messagebox"].visible=true
@sprites["auxlist"].visible=true
@sprites["searchlist"].visible=true
@sprites["searchbg"].visible=true
pbRefreshDexSearch(params)
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
oldindex=searchlist.index
searchlist.update
if searchlist.index!=oldindex
end
command=searchlist.indexToCommand(searchlist.index)
if command==[2,0]
break
end
if command==[0,0]
params[0]=pbDexSearchCommands(@nameCommands,params[0])
elsif command==[0,1]
params[1]=pbDexSearchCommands(@colorCommands,params[1])
elsif command==[0,2]
params[2]=pbDexSearchCommands(@typeCommands,params[2])
elsif command==[0,3]
params[3]=pbDexSearchCommands(@typeCommands,params[3])
elsif command==[0,4]
params[4]=pbDexSearchCommands(@orderCommands,params[4],@orderHelp)
elsif command==[0,5]
dexlist=pbSearchDexList(params)
if dexlist.length==0
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("No matching Pokémon were found."))
else
@dexlist=dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].commands=@dexlist
@sprites["pokedex"].index=0
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_INTL("X: BACK\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH")
@searchResults=true
break
end
elsif command==[1,0]
params[5]=pbDexSearchCommands(@orderCommands,params[5],@orderHelp)
elsif command==[1,1]
$PokemonGlobal.pokedexMode=params[5]
pbRefreshDexList
break
end
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::B)
break
end
end
Input.update
return 0
end

def pbMenu
ret=0
commands=[_INTL("BACK TO LIST"),_INTL("LIST TOP"),_INTL("LIST BOTTOM"),_INTL("CLOSE POKéDEX")]
using(cmdwindow=Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands)) {
cmdwindow.viewport=@viewport
cmdwindow.resizeToFit(cmdwindow.commands)
pbBottomRight(cmdwindow)
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
cmdwindow.update
ret=0
break
end
ret=cmdwindow.index
break
end
end
}
return ret
end

def pbCloseSearch
@searchResults=false
pbRefreshDexList($PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex)
end

def pbPokedex
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
oldindex=@sprites["pokedex"].index
@sprites["pokedex"].update
if oldindex!=@sprites["pokedex"].index
$PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex=@sprites["pokedex"].index if !@searchResults
end
@sprites["icon"].update
if @searchResults
pbCloseSearch
else
break
end
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::C)
if $Trainer.seen[@sprites["pokedex"].species]
pbDexEntry(@sprites["pokedex"].index)
end
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::F5)
pbDexSearch
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::A)
retval=pbMenu
case retval
when 1 # List Top
@sprites["pokedex"].index=1
when 2 # List Bottom
@sprites["pokedex"].index=@sprites["pokedex"].count-1
when 3
if @searchResults
pbCloseSearch
else
break
end
end
end
end
end

def pbEndScene
pbDisposeSpriteHash(@sprites)
@viewport.dispose
end

end

class PokemonPokedex

def initialize(scene)
@scene=scene
end

def pbDexEntry(species)
@scene.pbStartDexEntryScene(species)
@scene.pbMiddleDexEntryScene
@scene.pbEndScene
end

def pbStartScreen
@scene.pbStartScene
@scene.pbPokedex
@scene.pbEndScene
end

end

Wichu
December 23rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
Hey Wichu, just tried this out and got the following.
The Braille still shows up on screen however.

It seems that you are using an older version of the starter kit, which doesn't use the pbPlayDecisionSE method. Change that line in the script to:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, and I doubt that it would be this simple, but have you changed the priority settings of the tiles?

Sure, Here is the code:

There's a line missing at line 420: underneath where it says
dexlist=pbGetDexList()
it should say
dexdata=pbOpenDexData()

|Maximus|
December 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, and I doubt that it would be this simple, but have you changed the priority settings of the tiles?

Yeah, they are set, and it still happens.

KingCharizard
December 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, they are set, and it still happens.

did you try what i said here...

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5413085&postcount=5848

|Maximus|
December 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
did you try what i said here...

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5413085&postcount=5848

Again, he is not above only tilesets, he is above people too.

I only made it bold so other people could actually notice it :P

KingCharizard
December 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Again, he is not above only tilesets, he is above people too.

I only made it bold so other people could actually notice it :P

Wenn then i dunno what to tell you... recreate a new map... and if that doesn't work recreate the project and if that doesn't work then your screwed...

|Maximus|
December 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
... recreate a new map...

It's on all of the maps...

...if that doesn't work then your screwed...

Oh joy -_-

~JV~
December 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's on all of the maps...

Oh joy -_-

Only use the blank AUTOtile (top left) as a "eraser". Also, try in a event switching off the walk through things. (edit event route >> hero >> Walk Through OFF)

|Maximus|
December 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Only use the blank AUTOtile (top left) as a "eraser". Also, try in a event switching off the walk through things. (edit event route >> hero >> Walk Through OFF)

Thanks for the help but, he doesn't walk through everything, he walks over everthing, even characters. I will take a screenshot soon.

Colbex
December 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the help but, he doesn't walk through everything, he walks over everthing, even characters. I will take a screenshot soon.

If that's the case, then somewhere, on some event for set move route, you've selected "Always On Top ON"

Find that event for whatever case, and at the end of the move route select "Always on Top OFF"
That should do the trick. o.o

Soul.//Silver
December 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
It seems that you are using an older version of the starter kit, which doesn't use the pbPlayDecisionSE method. Change that line in the script to:

dexlist=pbGetDexList()
it should say
dexdata=pbOpenDexData()

Thanks Wichu, works perfectly now. Now to think of a good use for it in my game, thinking maybe Ruins of Alph after the Puzzle is solved when you drop into the room below. More helpful for RSE remakes.

~JV~
December 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM

Well, do as I said, but in a Set move route event, instead of putting Walk Through OFF, put Always on Top OFF. Good luck =x

|Maximus|
December 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Well, do as I said, but in a Set move route event, instead of putting Walk Through OFF, put Always on Top OFF. Good luck =x

I tried that a while ago and it didn't work.

Colbex
December 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Are you just changing the event and pressing play? And what kind of event is it? If it's an event that only happens once you'll need to start a new game to fix it. (if you've already completed the event). If it's something simple like a transfer event, then I'm not sure what you can do. x.x

lx_theo
December 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM

You can probably test if its an event or not by checking over your intro events then making a new game to see if its still happening.

Pika Storm
December 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
How would I insert the data for a pokemon species that does not show up in the pokedex? A shadow pokemon or the crystal onyx would be an example.

Colbex
December 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
You would have to edit the PBS/PokéMon And add him in in this format.
[#] < Dex Number
Name=
InternalName=
Kind= (IE: five star - for Ledyba, the five star PokéMon)
Pokedex=[insert information]
Type1=
Type2= (if no second type, leave blank)
BaseStats=#,#,#,#,#,#
Rareness=#
BaseEXP=#
Happiness=#
GrowthRate=Fluctuating (There's more, but I can't remember the names)
StepsToHatch=5120 (that's typically the basic number)
Color=
Habitat=Grassland (I dont think the dex currently uses this function)
EffortPoints=0,0,0,0,1,0
Abilities=(Separate with a comma)
Compatibility=
Height=
Weight= (These are expressed in metric units)
GenderRate=FemaleOneEighth (again, I can't remember the others)
Moves=(ie: 1,TACKLE)
EggMoves= (leave blank if cannot be hatched from an egg)
Evolutions= (check the starter kit notes for a list of evolution methods and how you input them)
BattlerPlayerY=16
BattlerEnemyY=14
BattlerAltitude=0
(I can't remember the details; but maybe you should read this (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html) incase you already haven't.)

EDIT: On a completely off topic side note... Yea baby! Post 69! o_O

lx_theo
December 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
You would have to edit the PBS/PokéMon And add him in in this format.
[#] < Dex Number
Name=
InternalName=
Kind= (IE: five star - for Ledyba, the five star PokéMon)
Pokedex=[insert information]
Type1=
Type2= (if no second type, leave blank)
BaseStats=#,#,#,#,#,#
Rareness=#
BaseEXP=#
Happiness=#
GrowthRate=Fluctuating (There's more, but I can't remember the names)
StepsToHatch=5120 (that's typically the basic number)
Color=
Habitat=Grassland (I dont think the dex currently uses this function)
EffortPoints=0,0,0,0,1,0
Abilities=(Separate with a comma)
Compatibility=
Height=
Weight= (These are expressed in metric units)
GenderRate=FemaleOneEighth (again, I can't remember the others)
Moves=(ie: 1,TACKLE)
EggMoves= (leave blank if cannot be hatched from an egg)
Evolutions= (check the starter kit notes for a list of evolution methods and how you input them)
BattlerPlayerY=16
BattlerEnemyY=14
BattlerAltitude=0
(I can't remember the details; but maybe you should read this (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html) incase you already haven't.)

EDIT: On a completely off topic side note... Yea baby! Post 69! o_O

I'm almost sure he's talking about alternate forms of a Pokemon (like different Rotoms), in which I know thats not the way to do it. I just don't know how to do it.

Colbex
December 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
If it's an alternate form it's done the same way as adding a new PokéMon, the only difference being they have the same dex number (not internal number though)
That's the simple way that most people use at least. o.o
Many other well-known species have alternate forms that are not implemented in Pokémon Essentials. To give special forms to these and other species, edit the methods "pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies" and "pbPokemonIconFile" in the script section PokemonUtilities. It may also be necessary to add methods to the script section PokeBattle_Pokemon that calculate which form to display depending on the Pokémon's internal data (see PokeBattle_Pokemon in the advanced notes (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/advanced.html)). This, however, is an advanced scripting feature (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#anoteonscripting).
^That's the hard way to do it, but you would have to do it this way for PokéMon such as Arceus, Shaymin, and Giratina, that change based on an item or Castform, who changes constantly.

But you can just do what I said for simpler species such as Wormadam, Shellos/Gastrodon, and unown. (theres something to do unown differently in essentials, but it doesn't work for a lot of people, so they just copy unown's dex data 27 more times, give them their internal numbers, and have it's dex number as the original unown.)

Er, now does it make sense? x_X

Minorthreat0987
December 24th, 2009, 12:36 AM
So I'm trying to write a script that creates a starter selection similar to R/S/E's but I have run into two small road blocks.

I have the core of the system working, as far as you can pick a starter and recieve it onto your team, however I can't seem to get a couple of things to work.

1. I can't display the picture of the starter when I select it

2. I can't for the life of me seem to code the whole "Are you sure you want STIPOLDOS?" "YES/NO" prompt thing after I select Stipoldos.

Can anyone help me out here, or at least give me some pointers...?

The script isn't anything fancy so I have included it as reference, especially since I suck at RGSS, so someone maybe able to pick up on other scripting errors that I need to fix aswell..

#==============================================================================
# - Scene_StarterSelection
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
# Also Modified By OblivionMew
class Scene_StarterSelection
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# initialize
def initialize(menu_index = 0)
@menu_index = menu_index
end

# main
def main

# Main Menu settings you can add or change these
commands=[
_INTL("STIPOLDOS"),
_INTL("MOLTAMB"),
_INTL("WABUOY"),
]
@command_window = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
@command_window.index = @menu_index
@command_window.x = (Graphics.width - @command_window.width) - 8
@command_window.y = 640
@card = GifSprite.new
@card.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/SelectStarterBG")
@card.x = 0
@card.y = 0

@STIPOLDOS_icon = Sprite.new
@STIPOLDOS_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionball")
@STIPOLDOS_icon.x = 140
@STIPOLDOS_icon.y = 160

@arr_icon= Sprite.new
@arr_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionarrow")
@arr_icon.x = 140
@arr_icon.y = 100

@MOLTAMB_icon = Sprite.new
@MOLTAMB_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionball")
@MOLTAMB_icon.x = 240
@MOLTAMB_icon.y = 200

@WABUOY_icon = Sprite.new
@WABUOY_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionball")
@WABUOY_icon.x = 340
@WABUOY_icon.y = 160

@info = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@info.height = Graphics.height / 4 + 16
@info.width = Graphics.width - 12
@info.x = 6
@info.y = Graphics.height - @info.height
@info.z = 99999
@info.letterbyletter=false
@target_window = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@target_window.visible = false
@target_window.active = false
@target_window.letterbyletter=false
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
@target_window.dispose
Graphics.freeze
@command_window.dispose
@card.bitmap.dispose
@info.dispose
@arr_icon.dispose
@STIPOLDOS_icon.dispose
@MOLTAMB_icon.dispose
@WABUOY_icon.dispose
end
# update the scene
def update
@arr_icon.update
@command_window.update
@info.update
case @command_window.index
when 0
@arr_icon.x=140
@arr_icon.y=100
when 1
@arr_icon.x=240
@arr_icon.y=140
when 2
@arr_icon.x=340
@arr_icon.y=100
end
#update command window and the info if it's active
if @command_window.active
update_command
update_info
return
end

end
# update the command window
def update_command
$game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end

when 0
party=[]
party.push(PBSpecies::STIPOLDOS) if hasConst?(PBSpecies,:STIPOLDOS)
# Species IDs of the Pokémon to be created
for i in 0...party.length
species=party[i]
# Generate Pokémon with species and level 20
$Trainer.party[i]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,5,$Trainer)
$Trainer.seen[species]=true # Set this species to seen and owned
$Trainer.owned[species]=true
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
when 1
$game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
party=[]
party.push(PBSpecies::MOLTAMB) if hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MOLTAMB)
species=party[i]
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
when 2
party=[]
party.push(PBSpecies::WABUOY) if hasConst?(PBSpecies,:WABUOY)
species=party[i]
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
def update_info
when 0
@info.text=_INTL("STIPOLDOS, The Grass type THORN Pokémon.")
when 1
@info.text=_INTL("MOLTAMB, The Fire type KINDLE LAMB Pokémon.")
when 2
@info.text=_INTL("WABUOY, The Water type LUNGFISH Pokémon.")
end
end
end

BR25
December 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Does anyone know how to make a legendry battle
like when you walk up to a pokemon and talk to it battles you?

~JV~
December 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
So I'm trying to write a script that creates a starter selection similar to R/S/E's but I have run into two small road blocks.

I have the core of the system working, as far as you can pick a starter and recieve it onto your team, however I can't seem to get a couple of things to work.

1. I can't display the picture of the starter when I select it

2. I can't for the life of me seem to code the whole "Are you sure you want STIPOLDOS?" "YES/NO" prompt thing after I select Stipoldos.

Can anyone help me out here, or at least give me some pointers...?

The script isn't anything fancy so I have included it as reference, especially since I suck at RGSS, so someone maybe able to pick up on other scripting errors that I need to fix aswell..

# - Scene_StarterSelection
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
# Also Modified By OblivionMew
class Scene_StarterSelection
# initialize
def initialize(menu_index = 0)
@menu_index = menu_index
end

# main
def main

# Main Menu settings you can add or change these
commands=[
_INTL("STIPOLDOS"),
_INTL("MOLTAMB"),
_INTL("WABUOY"),
]
@command_window = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
@command_window.index = @menu_index
@command_window.x = (Graphics.width - @command_window.width) - 8
@command_window.y = 640
@card = GifSprite.new
@card.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/SelectStarterBG")
@card.x = 0
@card.y = 0

@STIPOLDOS_icon = Sprite.new
@STIPOLDOS_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionball")
@STIPOLDOS_icon.x = 140
@STIPOLDOS_icon.y = 160

@arr_icon= Sprite.new
@arr_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionarrow")
@arr_icon.x = 140
@arr_icon.y = 100

@MOLTAMB_icon = Sprite.new
@MOLTAMB_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionball")
@MOLTAMB_icon.x = 240
@MOLTAMB_icon.y = 200

@WABUOY_icon = Sprite.new
@WABUOY_icon.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("starterselectionball")
@WABUOY_icon.x = 340
@WABUOY_icon.y = 160

@info = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@info.height = Graphics.height / 4 + 16
@info.width = Graphics.width - 12
@info.x = 6
@info.y = Graphics.height - @info.height
@info.z = 99999
@info.letterbyletter=false
@target_window = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@target_window.visible = false
@target_window.active = false
@target_window.letterbyletter=false
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
@target_window.dispose
Graphics.freeze
@command_window.dispose
@card.bitmap.dispose
@info.dispose
@arr_icon.dispose
@STIPOLDOS_icon.dispose
@MOLTAMB_icon.dispose
@WABUOY_icon.dispose
end
# update the scene
def update
@arr_icon.update
@command_window.update
@info.update
when 0
@arr_icon.x=140
@arr_icon.y=100
when 1
@arr_icon.x=240
@arr_icon.y=140
when 2
@arr_icon.x=340
@arr_icon.y=100
end
#update command window and the info if it's active
if @command_window.active
update_command
update_info
return
end

end
# update the command window
def update_command
$game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end

when 0
party=[]
party.push(PBSpecies::STIPOLDOS) if hasConst?(PBSpecies,:STIPOLDOS)
species=party[i]
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
when 1
party=[]
party.push(PBSpecies::MOLTAMB) if hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MOLTAMB)
species=party[i]
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
when 2
party=[]
party.push(PBSpecies::WABUOY) if hasConst?(PBSpecies,:WABUOY)
species=party[i]
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
def update_info
when 0
@info.text=_INTL("STIPOLDOS, The Grass type THORN Pokémon.")
when 1
@info.text=_INTL("MOLTAMB, The Fire type KINDLE LAMB Pokémon.")
when 2
@info.text=_INTL("WABUOY, The Water type LUNGFISH Pokémon.")
end
end
end

Just do it by events, much easier and you will have a better final product.

Pika Storm
December 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm almost sure he's talking about alternate forms of a Pokemon (like different Rotoms), in which I know thats not the way to do it. I just don't know how to do it.
Sort of, I know what you're talking about, but that's just for different sprites

If it's an alternate form it's done the same way as adding a new PokéMon, the only difference being they have the same dex number (not internal number though)
That's the simple way that most people use at least. o.o

^That's the hard way to do it, but you would have to do it this way for PokéMon such as Arceus, Shaymin, and Giratina, that change based on an item or Castform, who changes constantly.

But you can just do what I said for simpler species such as Wormadam, Shellos/Gastrodon, and unown. (theres something to do unown differently in essentials, but it doesn't work for a lot of people, so they just copy unown's dex data 27 more times, give them their internal numbers, and have it's dex number as the original unown.)

Er, now does it make sense? x_X

yeah, that helps alot, but is the "internal number" called the "internal name" in the PBS file?

EDIT: almost forgot, can a pokemon not have any pokedex number at all? Like a new species that has yet to be catagorized? I'm thinking of something like a baby groudon or something like that

thepsynergist
December 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
dexlist=pbGetDexList()it should say
dexdata=pbOpenDexData()

Thank you very much, Wichu. I have another problem now. I am curious as to how I can call the Move Tutor script. I downloaded the move tutor script and I can't seem to figure out how to call it. Can you figure this out for me? I'm stumped.

Pokemon 3000
December 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hi,

When i try to update my starterkit and copy the files in the PBS-Folder, i get this error-message:

Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and
underscores and can't begin with a number.
Make sure the name is defined in
PBS/pokemon.txt.
File PBS/tm.txt, line 2
Glumanda,Glutexo,Glurak,Schiggy,Schillok,Turtok,Pikachu,Raichu,Sandan,Sandamer

Compiler:846:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:865:in `parseSpecies'
Compiler:1416:in `pbCompileMachines'
Compiler:1413:in `each'
Compiler:1413:in `pbCompileMachines'
Compiler:1398:in `each_line'
Compiler:1398:in `pbCompileMachines'
Compiler:3738:in `pbCompileAllData'
EditorMain:226:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:80:in `loop'
PBS/pokemon.txt.
File PBS/tm.txt, line 2

the entry in pokemon.txt from line 82 to 107:

[4]
Name=Glumanda
InternalName=Glumanda
Kind=LIZARD
Pokedex=Lodert die Flamme auf seiner Schweifspitze hell, ist Glumanda gesund.
Type1=FIRE
BaseStats=39,52,43,65,60,50
Rareness=45
BaseEXP=65
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Fluctuating
StepsToHatch=5120
Color=Red
Habitat=Mountain
EffortPoints=0,0,0,1,0,0
Abilities=BLAZE
Compatibility=1,14
Height=0.6
Weight=8.5
GenderRate=FemaleOneEighth
Moves=1,SCRATCH,1,GROWL,7,EMBER,13,SMOKESCREEN,19,RAGE,25,SCARYFACE,31,FLAMETHROWER,37,SLASH,43,DRAGONRAGE,49,FIRESPIN
EggMoves=BELLYDRUM,ANCIENTPOWER,ROCKSLIDE,BITE,OUTRAGE,BEATUP,SWORDSDANCE,DRAGONDANCE
Evolutions=Glutexo,Level,16
BattlerPlayerY=14
BattlerEnemyY=12
BattlerAltitude=0

"Glumanda" does exist in pokemon.txt, i've checked the files, but i have noy idea. :(

Sorry for my bad english, i'm german.

Thanks

Maruno
December 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi,

When i try to update my starterkit and copy the files in the PBS-Folder, i get this error-message:

PBS/pokemon.txt.
File PBS/tm.txt, line 2

Compiler:846:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:865:in `parseSpecies'
Compiler:1416:in `pbCompileMachines'
Compiler:1413:in `each'
Compiler:1413:in `pbCompileMachines'
Compiler:1398:in `each_line'
Compiler:1398:in `pbCompileMachines'
Compiler:3738:in `pbCompileAllData'
EditorMain:226:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:80:in `loop'
PBS/pokemon.txt.
File PBS/tm.txt, line 2

the entry in pokemon.txt from line 82 to 107:

[4]
Name=Glumanda
InternalName=Glumanda
Kind=LIZARD
Pokedex=Lodert die Flamme auf seiner Schweifspitze hell, ist Glumanda gesund.
Type1=FIRE
BaseStats=39,52,43,65,60,50
Rareness=45
BaseEXP=65
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Fluctuating
StepsToHatch=5120
Color=Red
Habitat=Mountain
EffortPoints=0,0,0,1,0,0
Abilities=BLAZE
Compatibility=1,14
Height=0.6
Weight=8.5
GenderRate=FemaleOneEighth
Moves=1,SCRATCH,1,GROWL,7,EMBER,13,SMOKESCREEN,19,RAGE,25,SCARYFACE,31,FLAMETHROWER,37,SLASH,43,DRAGONRAGE,49,FIRESPIN
EggMoves=BELLYDRUM,ANCIENTPOWER,ROCKSLIDE,BITE,OUTRAGE,BEATUP,SWORDSDANCE,DRAGONDANCE
Evolutions=Glutexo,Level,16
BattlerPlayerY=14
BattlerEnemyY=12
BattlerAltitude=0

"Glumanda" does exist in pokemon.txt, i've checked the files, but i have noy idea. :(

Sorry for my bad english, i'm german.

Thanks
The "undefined species constant name" is in all capitals, yet the internal name of Glumanda isn't. Capitalisation matters here, and I would suggest you follow the trend of the original Essentials and put all internal names as all capitals. Not only would it help, but all-capital words are easier to see in events/code.

Pokemon 3000
December 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Ah, thats it. Thanks. :) I hope the rest will be easier.

Nyu~♥!
December 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I'll post this again -

Like this:

Please help...

Here's the attachment's link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51490&d=1261000453

Maruno
December 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM
@spriteY+2(I can't just tell you the line it's on since I've altered most of it so our lines wouldn't be the same)
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY+2
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
endChange the text in red to your second position of the sprite (in my case the original position of the sprite is 128 for the y value, so I would just add 2 pixels more to make it 130). This way, if you have the fixed positions set, it won't surpass the limit. The Pokemon will stop moving at some point, but that shouldn't be too bothersome.
Having looked at this again, I've discovered that editing both the red and green parts in the code quoted, the player's pokémon will always bob properly. However, the green part also sets the foe's Y coordinate, so if it's a number rather than a variable, there's going to be something quite unwanted going on.

The solution, as seen below, is to edit the first number in red (make it equal to @spriteY+2), and to add in the new "elsif" section (with the y value equal to @spriteY).

self.x=@spriteX
self.y=130
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=128
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end

Just in case anyone wanted to fix this.

~Frozen Darkness~
December 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
How exactly could I make extra frames for Pokemon, like in HG/SS? Could I just make a GIF file or do I have do insert some kind of special script?

Luka S.J.
December 31st, 2009, 01:01 AM
How exactly could I make extra frames for Pokemon, like in HG/SS? Could I just make a GIF file or do I have do insert some kind of special script?

How about opening my christmas present. It contains a tutorial on how to make Pokemon and Trainer sprites animated in battle. And yes, is is a script.

|Maximus|
December 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
How would I go about making Pikachu (as a dependent event) disappear when trying to surf, fly, or something else I can't think of right now. Then reappear after you go on land when surfing or when you arrive once you fly. It's hard to explain. I am trying to make it like HGSS

~JV~
December 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
How would I go about making Pikachu (as a dependent event) disappear when trying to surf, fly, or something else I can't think of right now. Then reappear after you go on land when surfing or when you arrive once you fly. It's hard to explain. I am trying to make it like HGSS

Search in the PokemonField Script for a def that has to do with using surf (forgot it's name sry), the rest is easy to figure out ;].

BlitŻ
December 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Can someone tell me why when I tried to import a background sound such as rain into the pokemon essentials and then tried to play it, it didn't work?

thepsynergist
December 31st, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ok, so I downloaded the latest release of Pokemon Essentials and found that not only do the trainer intro ME's not play when encountering a trainer, but the Bug Catching Contest is completely broken. Can anyone else confirm this for me, and maybe post a fix or two? Thanks in advance.

Linkey
January 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hey guys,

Happy new Year to all of you! =D

I love the starter-kit! Most problems i have i can resolve by myself. But theres one thing, i don't understand:
in the pbmove.txt, the moves starts with the ID,NAME,DISPLAYNAME (i think so).

example: 1,MEGAKICK,MEGA KICK

I would expect that i only use "MEGAKICK" in other .txt files or scripts, as some kind of variable but in the game, when my Pokemon is using this attack, it should be displayed as "MEGA KICK", right?
I changed the displayname of the move HEADBUTT (id,HEADBUTT,KOPFNUSS), but in the game it always is called "HEADBUTT".

Does anyone know for what the 2nd name is (id,MEGAKICK,MEGA KICK), if it's not the displayname? Or is it just a bug on my version?

Sorry for annoying you and also sorry for my bad english.

Thanking you in anticipation

btw, thanks for the great christmas present Luka! It's an awesome guide - easy to read - easy to understand! Thanks master! Also thanks to Alexandre, good job dude!

Wichu
January 1st, 2010, 06:44 AM
It is the display name. Have you compiled the data after changing it?
Also, some of the text in scripts (the HM use text, for example) doesn't use the display name of the attack. You'll have to search for and edit those manually.

Linkey
January 1st, 2010, 07:16 AM
It is the display name. Have you compiled the data after changing it?
Also, some of the text in scripts (the HM use text, for example) doesn't use the display name of the attack. You'll have to search for and edit those manually.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Yeah, i already translated the scripts. Those texts are displayed translated.

And yes, i've compiled the data after changing it.

Maybe the german.data, which translated some things, is the reason for this.

But thanks for your help Wichu =)

Pokemon 3000
January 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM
hey guys,

i've a problem again. At a normal battle with the trainers on a route, first the intro-music is coming. When the battle starts, the intro-music continues, but normally the "Battle BGM" should start. The Battle BGM comes, when the intro music is over. I am sure, the trainer has a intro music and a battle bgm, but i can't find the problem. Can anyone help?

Update: If i leave a cave and go to the cave again, the cave-backgroundmusic are start from the last point when i had left. I think its thesame bug like the other.

my english sucks, so i post the message in german again:

Hey Leute,

Ich habe wieder ein Problem. Bei einem normalen Kampf mit einem Trainer in einer Route, kommt ja zuerst die Intro-Musik. Wenn der Kampf startet, dann läuft die Intro-Musik weiter, aber normalerweise sollte ja "Battle BGM" starten. Die Battle BGM (Kampfmusik) kommt erst, wenn die Intromusik vorbei ist. Ich bin mir sicher, dass der Trainer, sowohl eine Intro-Musik, als auch eine Kampfmusik hat, aber das Problem kann ich trotzdem nicht finden. Kann jemand helfen?

Update: Wenn ich eine Höhle verlasse und sie gleich danach wieder besuche, dann geht die Höhlen-Hintergrundmusik ab den Punkt weiter, als ich die Höhle verlassen habe. Ich denke, es ist derselbe Bug, wie der andere.

Minorthreat0987
January 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
So I have run into a small issue and I was wondering if anyone knows the solution. I am trying to fix the kinks in my summary screen, I am down to the last page but I have run into an issue drawing the text of the move description.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/Minorthreat0987/Pokemon%20Scarlet/descriptionissue.png

I was wondering if anyone know how to change the distance between the lines of text using the drawtextEx string so that the text would line up correctly in the box.

PS. also if someone knows how to add the Pokemon's icon that'd be great! I have tried to mimic the stoarge system, and the selection menu, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks a lot!

BlitŻ
January 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Can someone tell me why when I tried to import a background sound such as rain into the pokemon essentials and then tried to play it, it didn't work?

Just wondering if someone can helps meh >_<

Cykes
January 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Just wondering if someone can helps meh >_<
You posted your inquiry yesterday... And it's even on this page! At least wait a week until you bump it or something... Jeez. :\

Marioman3
January 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Welcome. I come around Polish and I have one question. I didn't read everything here because I don't know English, I am using the translator. For me somebody can pass the link to taking down Pokémon of the starter of tails to rpg maker xp? I want already to do the own game the Pokémon rather than everything to change secretly, from above thanks. Best I ask for some cords. THX FOR YOU HELP!

|Maximus|
January 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Oh God, it's happening again! My player walks over certain things! Now, it isn't everything, he walks over certain buildings, but not characters. It's strange!

MykehDoom
January 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Oh God, it's happening again! My player walks over certain things! Now, it isn't everything, he walks over certain buildings, but not characters. It's strange!

Do you have the passabilities for your tilesets all set up in the database?

|Maximus|
January 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Do you have the passabilities for your tilesets all set up in the database?

Yup. And, now he is walking over the characters!

MykehDoom
January 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Ummm.. you should set your characters to be the same level as the player... >_> Want me to use Teamviewer and help you?

|Maximus|
January 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Ummm.. you should set your characters to be the same level as the player... >_> Want me to use Teamviewer and help you?

Actually, do you have windows messenger?

Lorem Ipsum
January 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I have a question relating not to the scripts, but to the Starter Kit itself. Is this compatible with RPG Maker VX? Because if I am going to resume game-making, I will be actually buying an RPG Maker game, and I'm not going to go for the lesser version without good reason, especially because I have Windows Vista and don't fancy mucking about with the Administrator permissions.

Marioman3
January 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Welcome. I come around Polish and I have one question. I didn't read everything here because I don't know English, I am using the translator. For me somebody can pass the link to taking down Pokémon of the starter of tails to rpg maker xp? I want already to do the own game the Pokémon rather than everything to change secretly, from above thanks. Best I ask for some cords. THX FOR YOU HELP!

Please help:( I dont know where download it.

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
I have a question relating not to the scripts, but to the Starter Kit itself. Is this compatible with RPG Maker VX? Because if I am going to resume game-making, I will be actually buying an RPG Maker game, and I'm not going to go for the lesser version without good reason, especially because I have Windows Vista and don't fancy mucking about with the Administrator permissions.

Unfortunately, it is not. But, on I think it is HBGames? or some other RPGMaker forums, someone has been rewriting all of the code into VX.

BR25
January 3rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
This starter kit is really good i love it

Lorem Ipsum
January 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
Please help:( I dont know where download it.

Go here (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip). That is where you can download it.

StormRuler
January 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I've got this lots of problems with the newest version of the kit and i was wondering if anyone new the solution.
Here are the bugs:
1.In the intro the BMG keeps getting interupted by the constant sound of a person walking into the wall.
2.After the intro an error appears. Here is a picture of it:http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5165&pictureid=37486
3.When you try file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngto unzip it it says it cannot create a PBS and it also says access is
denied.

If anybody knows the solution to these problems please reply.:classic:

Nyu~♥!
January 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
<_< once again, I will post this..

Like this:

Please help...

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM

Like this:

Please help...

You must edit the script. I am not sure which one but you can't just add a new type. You need to edit the script so there is a new type. Sorry for not posting.

~JV~
January 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM

Like this:

Please help...

The image is displayed correctly, now, please me show the script you edited so we can see whats wrong with it.

Nyu~♥!
January 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
The image is displayed correctly, now, please me show the script you edited so we can see whats wrong with it.

The image is sliced up badly.

I edited PBTypes, but ever since I've tried so hard I have no idea what i've even done to it. D: Sorry. I'm so dumb.. :/
class PBTypes

NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18

def PBTypes.getCount
# Change this number if you add a new type
# This number doesn't include QMARKS
return 18
end

PBTypeChart=[
# Rows indicate the attack's type
# Columns indicate the opponent's type
# 0 - Immune
# 1 - "Not very effective"
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# When you add a new type, add a number showing effect
# on opponents with that type to each line, then add a
# new line showing effect on attacks with the new type
# on opponents.
]

def PBTypes.getName(type)
# Add the names of new types at the end of
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end

You must edit the script. I am not sure which one but you can't just add a new type. You need to edit the script so there is a new type. Sorry for not posting.

<_<
Once again, I'm not THAT dumb, no matter how many times i tell myself... XD

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM

I edited PBTypes, but ever since I've tried so hard I have no idea what i've even done to it. D: Sorry. I'm so dumb.. :/
class PBTypes

NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
QMARKS=9
FIRE=10
WATER=11
GRASS=12
ELECTRIC=13
PSYCHIC=14
ICE=15
DRAGON=16
DARK=17
LIGHT=18

def PBTypes.getCount
# Change this number if you add a new type
# This number doesn't include QMARKS
return 18
end

PBTypeChart=[
# Rows indicate the attack's type
# Columns indicate the opponent's type
# 0 - Immune
# 1 - "Not very effective"
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# When you add a new type, add a number showing effect
# on opponents with that type to each line, then add a
# new line showing effect on attacks with the new type
# on opponents.
]

def PBTypes.getName(type)
# Add the names of new types at the end of
# this list
types=[
_INTL("NORMAL"),
_INTL("FIGHTING"),
_INTL("FLYING"),
_INTL("POISON"),
_INTL("GROUND"),
_INTL("ROCK"),
_INTL("BUG"),
_INTL("GHOST"),
_INTL("STEEL"),
_INTL("???"),
_INTL("FIRE"),
_INTL("WATER"),
_INTL("GRASS"),
_INTL("ELECTRIC"),
_INTL("PSYCHIC"),
_INTL("ICE"),
_INTL("DRAGON"),
_INTL("DARK"),
_INTL("LIGHT")
]
return types[type]
end

end

<_<

Haha...I didn't mean that. Sorry, I guess I didn't read it properly.

Wichu
January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

<_<

You changed the layout of the types image. The original type icons were 64x28; yours are 64x24. Either edit the relevant scripts to use 64x24 icons, or edit your image so the icons are 64x28.

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
You changed the layout of the types image. The original type icons were 64x28; yours are 64x24. Either edit the relevant scripts to use 64x24 icons, or edit your image so the icons are 64x28.

God, you're a genius. Do you think you could help me with my problem? It's on the page before this. My character walks over events AGAIN. And this time it's only certain buildings he walks over. And yes, I do have the priorities set up.

Wichu
January 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure what the problem there is. Try changing one of the priorities in the tileset, playtesting to make it refresh the change, and changing it back; occasionally, Essentials fails to apply changes made within RMXP's database the first time.

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure what the problem there is. Try changing one of the priorities in the tileset, playtesting to make it refresh the change, and changing it back; occasionally, Essentials fails to apply changes made within RMXP's database the first time.

Yeah, but he also walks over characters. I will make a video soon to show you what's happening.

Atomic Reactor
January 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Did you make an event that turns "through" on?
Like in a move command or something. Check your events and make sure that isnt the problem.

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Did you make an event that turns "through" on?
Like in a move command or something. Check your events and make sure that isnt the problem.

It's not that he walks through. It's that instead of walking under the character's heads, he walks over them. I don't know, it's kind of hard to explain.

~JV~
January 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
It's not that he walks through. It's that instead of walking under the character's heads, he walks over them. I don't know, it's kind of hard to explain.

God, walking "through" is exactly like you mentioned, walking over things without considering their passability (but considering the priorities), so just turn this thing OFF xD.

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
God, walking "through" is exactly like you mentioned, walking over things without considering their passability (but considering the priorities), so just turn this thing OFF xD.

XDXD If only it was that easy -__- I tried to turn it off but it won't work. I am now starting to think it is caused by the dependent events. Who knows...

Marioman3
January 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
. That is where you can download it.

This is a last version? My hero is invisible, wtf?

When I want to start the game (to test) it isn't leaping game.exe mistake. I must copy the game.ini file to the catalogue with the game and start the game. Still each time. Help.

BlitŻ
January 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
I have a couple inquiries for some of you guys that can to help me with ^.^

First off, how do you set multiple transparent colors? I've seen some people where there are multiple set, but I have not idea how to do it >__<

Second, how do you change the games text so the actual letters and numbers look different?

And thirdly, how do I take away a pokemon from the players party?

Thanks muchos :3

KingCharizard
January 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
People continue to fail to read the Notes, it took awhile to write them and yet people cant take 5 minutes to search them before asking for help...

Atomic Reactor
January 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hmm, then is there an event that turns "Always on Top" on? Look for that.. If not, idk what the problem is.

Minorthreat0987
January 4th, 2010, 08:10 AM
So I have run into a small issue and I was wondering if anyone knows the solution. I am trying to fix the kinks in my summary screen, I am down to the last page but I have run into an issue drawing the text of the move description.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/Minorthreat0987/Pokemon%20Scarlet/descriptionissue.png

I was wondering if anyone know how to change the distance between the lines of text using the drawtextEx string so that the text would line up correctly in the box.

PS. also if someone knows how to add the Pokemon's icon that'd be great! I have tried to mimic the stoarge system, and the selection menu, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks a lot!

Can any one help me here?

Thanks! :)

Wichu
January 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Can any one help me here?

Thanks! :)

You'll need to edit the drawTextEx method to support this. For example:
def drawTextEx(bitmap,x,y,width,numlines,text,baseColor,shadowColor,textHeight=32)
normtext=getLineBrokenChunks(bitmap,text,width,nil,true,textHeight)
renderLineBrokenChunksWithShadow(bitmap,x,y,normtext,numlines*textHeight,baseColor,shadowColor)
end

Obviously, the getLineBrokenChunks method will also need changes:
def getLineBrokenChunks(bitmap,value,width,dims,plain=false,textheight=0)
x=0
y=0
ret=[]
if dims
dims[0]=0
dims[1]=0
end
re=/<c=([^>]+)>/
reNoMatch=/<c=[^>]+>/
return ret if !bitmap || bitmap.disposed? || width<=0
textmsg=value.clone
lines=0
color=Font.default_color
while ((c = textmsg.slice!(/\n|(\S*([ \r\t\f]?))/)) != nil)
break if c==""
ccheck=c
if ccheck=="\n"
x=0
y+=(textheight==0) ? bitmap.text_size("X").height : textheight
textheight=0
next
end
if ccheck[/</] && !plain
textcols=[]
ccheck.scan(re){ textcols.push(RgbToColor($1)) }
words=ccheck.split(reNoMatch) # must have no matches because split can include match
else
textcols=[]
words=[ccheck]
end
for i in 0...words.length
word=words[i]
if word && word!=""
textSize=bitmap.text_size(word)
textwidth=textSize.width
if x>0 && x+textwidth>=width-2
x=0
y+=(textheight==0) ? bitmap.text_size("X").height : textheight
textheight=0
end
textheight=[textheight,textSize.height].max
ret.push([word,x,y,textwidth,textheight,color])
x+=textwidth
dims[0]=x if dims && dims[0]<x
end
if textcols[i]
color=textcols[i]
end
end
end
dims[1]=y+textheight if dims
return ret
end
It seems as though poccil was planning to include this (several lines which would have enabled it were commented out); I don't know why he removed it.

RMXPUser462
January 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM
so, I'm not completely sure if this question will make me sound like a nub, but here I go xD

Ok, so in the game I'm making, my spriter prefers to sprite 80x80, like D/P. Obviously, when 80x80 monsters are put on Pokemon Essentials, they look HUGE! Is there a way to "get around this", in a sense, by maybe changing the actual window size or something to give more room for the pokemon sprite? Or does anyone know of an easier way to get D/P monsters to not look gigantic on screen?

KingCharizard
January 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Yes you can do this Check you have to edit the scripts im not sure which one i'll find the one you need to edit and edit and post if for ya

Marioman3
January 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
My hero is invisible, WHY?!

When I want to start the game (to test) it isn't leaping game.exe mistake. I must copy the game.ini file to the catalogue with the game and start the game. Still each time. Help.

RMXPUser462
January 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Yes you can do this Check you have to edit the scripts im not sure which one i'll find the one you need to edit and edit and post if for ya

thanks very much, I'll keep an eye out for your response :)

KajiVenator
January 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Er...
Whenever I try to open the Starter Kit with RPGXP1.02a it gives me a message that the .dll is unloaded and then it closes it. Help?

Error Details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Game.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 40d19497
Fault Module Name: RGSS102E.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 410c5a83
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 02ce3a70
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 450b
Additional Information 2: 487ce75ec4ffd2ed23f84428dab84153
Additional Information 3: 4a8a
Additional Information 4: f7f6bf9a8012ecc9af9bad40106d7c8b

Logiedan
January 4th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Well, I just started testing out with the kit and all.
Sadly I ran into an unknown error,it was an unkown error because I quickly pressed enter by accident and it close the error log or pop-up. The main problem is that after that the text in the game has been crumpled up together removing all spacing.
For example:

Before Problem: Battle me now!

After Problem: Battlemenow!

I'm hoping someone could help me in any way,thank you.

thepsynergist
January 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
The text scrambling is because you are using the ingame Diamond and Pearl font. Use Firered or Emerald and it will be fixed.

On another note, the bug catching contest doesn't seem to work at all with the new essentials kit. Can someone post a fix or help with this error? It's rather annoying.

Marioman3
January 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM
My hero is invisible, WHY?!

ppl, help me. Why my hero is invisible?

Maruno
January 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
ppl, help me. Why my hero is invisible?
Have you messed around with the Intro map? One line in the event in that map sets the player's graphic to boy or girl (depending on a choice the player makes). The player doesn't have a gender (and therefore, no assigned character sets) before that is set.

BlitŻ
January 5th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Okay, this is problem is really pissing me off now. Everything I do seems to not work, and everything points to that it should work. My problem is that the player does not pay attention to tile priorities, but the wierd thing is that he pays no attention to only some of these tiles Hence, I have screen shots:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug4.png?t=1262709760http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug3.png

And now for the examples that the player pays attention:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug2.png

And the weird thing is, in the next map, the player pays attention to the priorities!
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug5.png?t=1262711077http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug6.png?t=1262711093

So, I'm stumped :(, nothing that I have done has fixed those tiles. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Maruno
January 5th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Okay, this is problem is really pissing me off now. Everything I do seems to not work, and everything points to that it should work. My problem is that the player does not pay attention to tile priorities, but the wierd thing is that he pays no attention to only some of these tiles Hence, I have screen shots:

And the weird thing is, in the next map, the player pays attention to the priorities!

So, I'm stumped :(, nothing that I have done has fixed those tiles. Any help will be greatly appreciated
That red line is an interesting fact.

There's something wrong with that particular map. Create a new one and recreate the town from scratch. Don't just copy the map, because you'll probably copy the problem as well.

The new version of the map should work. I don't know what the actual problem is, per se, but I know it's just of that one map.

spitfire_hokage
January 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
How do I add new moves? Sorry if it's a noobish question but I just started making my game and I wanted to add some new attacks to my game.

MykehDoom
January 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have a question. I'm using the latest release of Poccil's starter kit, and I can't seem to get BGS to work. Any suggestions?

Maruno
January 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
How do I add new moves? Sorry if it's a noobish question but I just started making my game and I wanted to add some new attacks to my game.
This part of the notes (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#pbsmovestxt) should help.

If you're making a move with an effect that another move already has, just use its function code (i.e. a basic attack is 00, an attack that may cause confusion is 4C, etc.).

If you're making a new effect, look in the scripts at the section PokeBattle_MoveEffects, find an empty class (the class names correspond to the function codes - for starters, 0C, 0E and 0F are empty) and add in what you want to happen. Note that the probability of the effect happening (e.g. 10% of poisoning) is NOT put in here. The PokeBattle_MoveEffects are only called if there will be an added effect, i.e. the PokeBattle_MoveEffects classes only say how to poison, not when or how frequently.

Some effects, such as "greater chance of a critical hit" are handled elsewhere, not in PokeBattle_MoveEffects. I haven't looked to see where, but searching the battle scripts for "critical" should come up with something. However, the check to see if there's a greater chance of a critical hit still depends on the function code, so just use 2B for that.

Linkey
January 6th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Some effects, such as "greater chance of a critical hit" are handled elsewhere, not in PokeBattle_MoveEffects. I haven't looked to see where, but searching the battle scripts for "critical" should come up with something. However, the check to see if there's a greater chance of a critical hit still depends on the function code, so just use 2B for that.

Since i tested some things yesterday, i can tell you, that critical hit chance for example is handled in PokeBatlle_Move (line 182)
The method is called "pbIsCritical?"

lukemeow
January 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM
i love how your guy walks on the roof xD, anyway thats not y i came here, the reason i cam here is

first off the chat bar, y is it always over everything, like u go in a battle, and the chat bar is over your pokemon, so u can't c it's moves or whateva, and the batle looks weird 2 cause the opponents pokemon appears like half way down the screen, so does it's hp and so on,, onto next issue

having multiple regestered users, well some 1 plays the game saves it, some1 else regesters, starts a new game, then saves, and it over writes the original players save, how cna i fic it os that each registered user has his own save 2 load from after he logs in, or is it possiable 2 get rid of that whole save load thing and make it so the persons registered name is his player name and it automaticly logs him in from the spot he saved????????????????????

Maruno
January 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Since i tested some things yesterday, i can tell you, that critical hit chance for example is handled in PokeBatlle_Move (line 182)
The method is called "pbIsCritical?"
Yeah, it's easy to find. The point is that even though the "increase critical hit ratio" effect isn't in PokeBattle_MoveEffects, you don't need to worry about it. Just use code 2B for it and it'll work fine.

MykehDoom
January 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I have a question. I'm using the latest release of Poccil's starter kit released on Dec. 27th, and I can't seem to get Background Sounds to work. Any suggestions?

|Maximus|
January 6th, 2010, 12:58 PM
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug4.png?t=1262709760http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug3.png

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug5.png?t=1262711077http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/pokemonsonce/bug6.png?t=1262711093

That's the EXACT Problem I had. This is a direct message from Poccil:

"As I've found out the problem occurs when the player is close to the edge of two connected maps. The game creates two copies of the player sprite, one for each map. Thus the effect occurs when one player sprite overlaps the other, thus creating the problem you mention. The following fix will reduce, though not completely eliminate, this effect. The code below assumes the latest version. In the script section Spriteset_Map, look for the code below:

for sprite in @reflectedSprites

sprite.update

endAdd the following code after the code above:

@playersprite.visible=@playersprite.visible && (
self.map==$game_map ||
$game_player.x<=0||$game_player.y<=0||
$game_player.x>=self.map.width||
$game_player.y>=self.map.height)I hope this helps. "

Peeky Chew
January 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I changed the players starting location and went into the intro event and changed the transfer player event. Now the intro doesn't start so I don't choose my gender and am invisible.

Maruno
January 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I changed the players starting location and went into the intro event and changed the transfer player event. Now the intro doesn't start so I don't choose my gender and am invisible.
Where's the starting position now? It should be in the Intro map.

Peeky Chew
January 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Where's the starting position now? It should be in the Intro map.Well I've kept the starting position in the intro map and put the players starting position in another map (the one you choose outside the intro page event).

Maruno
January 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I want to put in the little Poké Ball symbol in the battle box for wild pokémon I already own. I can make it appear only in the opponent's boxes where appropriate, using "if @battler.index==(1 || 3) && $Trainer.owned[@battler.species]", but I can't find a way to tell the difference between a wild battle (where I want it) and a trainer battle (where I don't). "!@opponent" doesn't work, as it seems to always be true here.

Is there a solution to this?

Also, when starting a double battle against two separate trainers, there's a pause between the "opponent 1 send out RATTATA" message and it actually being sent out. What causes this pause? There's no such pause when the second opponent sends out their pokémon. If the pause must exist, can it be put elsewhere where it's less noticeable (say, before the fade-in to battle)?

lezebulon
January 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hi guys
I'm trying to make a script that would allow me to battle at the same time a trainer and a wild pokemon. It'd be a double battle where you have to defeat the trainer and the pokemon but where you can catch the wild pokemon too.

Has anyone tried this, could someone give me ideas on what to edit ?

Alexandre
January 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I want to put in the little Poké Ball symbol in the battle box for wild pokémon I already own. I can make it appear only in the opponent's boxes where appropriate, using "if @battler.index==(1 || 3) && $Trainer.owned[@battler.species]", but I can't find a way to tell the difference between a wild battle (where I want it) and a trainer battle (where I don't). "!@opponent" doesn't work, as it seems to always be true here.

Is there a solution to this?

Try this:

@battle.opponent

That returns true if the battle is a trainer battle.

Peeky Chew
January 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Well I've kept the starting position in the intro map and put the players starting position in another map (the one you choose outside the intro page event).Does nobody know the answer?

Wichu
January 9th, 2010, 04:42 AM
The 'Player Starting Position' defined in RMXP must be in the Intro map. To change where the player starts after the intro, only edit the Transfer Player command in the intro event.

Maruno
January 9th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Try this:

@battle.opponent
That returns true if the battle is a trainer battle.
Not in class PokemonDataBox, it doesn't.

undefined method `opponent' for nil:NilClass

Wichu
January 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM
In that case, add a new variable to the PokemonDataBox class to keep track of whether there's a trainer. Edit the initialize method to accept another parameter and store it, and then on the lines where a new PokemonDataBox is created, add this to the arguments:
@battle.opponent ? true : false
That returns true if there is an opponent, and false otherwise.

Also, I just looked at the changelog of Essentials, and realised how far it's come since I last used it (Raptor EX doesn't count; it uses an old version). I remember adding Pokémon catch locations to Amethyst myself; when did it get implemented into Essentials? The new features are pretty impressive (and occasionally rather pointless; why would you need to generate phone dial tones?) :)

EDIT: I think poccil uploaded the wrong version

EDIT2: My bad, the correct version's up there. My computer just confused it with an older version for some reason.

Maruno
January 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
In that case, add a new variable to the PokemonDataBox class to keep track of whether there's a trainer. Edit the initialize method to accept another parameter and store it, and then on the lines where a new PokemonDataBox is created, add this to the arguments:
@battle.opponent ? true : falseThat returns true if there is an opponent, and false otherwise.

Also, I just looked at the changelog of Essentials, and realised how far it's come since I last used it (Raptor EX doesn't count; it uses an old version). I remember adding Pokémon catch locations to Amethyst myself; when did it get implemented into Essentials? The new features are pretty impressive (and occasionally rather pointless; why would you need to generate phone dial tones?) :)

EDIT: I think poccil uploaded the wrong version (again) :\
If it has to be something like that, I'll just use a game switch, and flick it on or off at the beginning of each battle. I was just hoping there was something that already existed that I could have used instead. Apparently not.

I'm using a year old version of Essentials myself, shortly before the huge change to how pictures are displayed. The problem is that there's no list of features changes/additions anywhere, just the change logs that show all the script changes without any explanation of why and what they are.

KingCharizard
January 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM

This problem has been happening to me, and I working hard as possible to figure out why, But I think its the version of PE im using. I cant explain why this happens yet. But if I cant figure it out My game will be retarted and Im not gonna let that happen.

That's the EXACT Problem I had. This is a direct message from Poccil:

"As I've found out the problem occurs when the player is close to the edge of two connected maps. The game creates two copies of the player sprite, one for each map. Thus the effect occurs when one player sprite overlaps the other, thus creating the problem you mention. The following fix will reduce, though not completely eliminate, this effect. The code below assumes the latest version. In the script section Spriteset_Map, look for the code below:

for sprite in @reflectedSprites

sprite.update

endAdd the following code after the code above:

@playersprite.visible=@playersprite.visible && (
self.map==$game_map ||
$game_player.x<=0||$game_player.y<=0||
$game_player.x>=self.map.width||
$game_player.y>=self.map.height)I hope this helps. "

FYI This doesnt fix my problem just makes my game crash.

Trikeboy
January 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
This problem has been happening to me, and I working hard as possible to figure out why, But I think its the version of PE im using. I cant explain why this happens yet. But if I cant figure it out My game will be retarted and Im not gonna let that happen.

FYI This doesnt fix my problem just makes my game crash.

Did you make a mistake when creating the map and correct it with a blank tile? If you did that can cause the problem you are describing. It is best to delete the tiles and draw them back in.

Genohawk
January 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi. I used to use The starter kit about 8 months ago. I worked with it for a couple months and stopped the project. now I downloaded the newest version and whenever I try to open the editor there is a problem. Anyone have any ideas how i can fix it? It says "Script 'PokemonSpritePos' line 293:Name Error Occured.'
I looked inthe scripts but could find no such script. Thanks for any help

Linkey
January 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hellooooho x)

Does anyone uses different player sprites (like male/female hero)?
I just changed the trback001 an wondered, that nothing changed after i used the script to change the Player (Player id 0 = male, Player id 1= female). Normally you should see trback001 as backsprite for the female player. Her trainertype has the id 1, so it should work.

At the intro the user can choose between male and female hero. The script (i think it's called "pbChangePlayer(id)") works fine, and in battles i can see the right backsprite for the trainer.

BUT if i change the Player (pbChangePlayer) later in the game, it doesn't change the backsprite. Is this a feature or a bug? XD
I thought the battle script generate the player sprite every battle, but it seems that the trback is only generated once.

RMXPUser462
January 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hey I just tried to attempt to change the battlebg of a specific battle using $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack="012" and it didn't manage to change the battlebg. Any ideas?

C0d3 br3ak3r
January 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm really scared that someone's gonna laugh, but... What do you do if your map does not have the same Y and Z length... meaning, how do you make it so the map will be accepted?

thepsynergist
January 13th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hey I just tried to attempt to change the battlebg of a specific battle using $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack="012" and it didn't manage to change the battlebg. Any ideas?

The only way I can think of, is if you defined a specific battle back on the terrian tag you're standing on. Or, the battleback you are trying to call is the same as the one that is already there.

Maruno
January 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Also, when starting a double battle against two separate trainers, there's a pause between the "opponent 1 send out RATTATA" message and it actually being sent out. What causes this pause? There's no such pause when the second opponent sends out their pokémon. If the pause must exist, can it be put elsewhere where it's less noticeable (say, before the fade-in to battle)?
Any comment on this, anyone?

Pokemon 3000
January 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
hey guys,

i've a problem again. At a normal battle with the trainers on a route, first the intro-music is coming. When the battle starts, the intro-music continues, but normally the "Battle BGM" should start. The Battle BGM comes, when the intro music is over. I am sure, the trainer has a intro music and a battle bgm, but i can't find the problem. Can anyone help?

Update: If i leave a cave and go to the cave again, the cave-backgroundmusic are start from the last point when i had left. I think its thesame bug like the other.

Hey Leute,

Ich habe wieder ein Problem. Bei einem normalen Kampf mit einem Trainer in einer Route, kommt ja zuerst die Intro-Musik. Wenn der Kampf startet, dann läuft die Intro-Musik weiter, aber normalerweise sollte ja "Battle BGM" starten. Die Battle BGM (Kampfmusik) kommt erst, wenn die Intromusik vorbei ist. Ich bin mir sicher, dass der Trainer, sowohl eine Intro-Musik, als auch eine Kampfmusik hat, aber das Problem kann ich trotzdem nicht finden. Kann jemand helfen?

Update: Wenn ich eine Höhle verlasse und sie gleich danach wieder besuche, dann geht die Höhlen-Hintergrundmusik ab den Punkt weiter, als ich die Höhle verlassen habe. Ich denke, es ist derselbe Bug, wie der andere.

can't anyone/someone help? I believe, i had crashed a file from PBS, because i change the files for translating in german. The ingame scripts are okay, but its possible i had crashed it too.

RMXPUser462
January 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The only way I can think of, is if you defined a specific battle back on the terrian tag you're standing on. Or, the battleback you are trying to call is the same as the one that is already there.

do you know how you would go about doing that? I'm not very savvy with scripts

Genohawk
January 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM
The Battle BGM will not play during a normal encounter. I've tried EVERYTHING. I am using the latest version of Pokemon Essentials. Do you think anyone can help me? The overworld BGM continues into the battle.

Geeked
January 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Has the "snagball" system ever been completed?

Rydenio
January 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi. I used to use The starter kit about 8 months ago. I worked with it for a couple months and stopped the project. now I downloaded the newest version and whenever I try to open the editor there is a problem. Anyone have any ideas how i can fix it? It says "Script 'PokemonSpritePos' line 293:Name Error Occured.'

Same thing happens to me. Anyone? :(

RMXPUser462
January 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Has the "snagball" system ever been completed?

I'm not sure it's been completed, but I know it works. I've tried it out before :)

thepsynergist
January 14th, 2010, 07:08 PM
do you know how you would go about doing that? I'm not very savvy with scripts

If you are not savvy with scripts than this fix wouldn't help you. I had a problem with this because I changed the terrain tag battleback myself in my script. I thought a lot of people do that, so I thought that might have been you're prob.

RMXPUser462
January 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
It's alright, thanks anway.

Anyone else have any clue with the whole battle background situation?

FinalEclipse
January 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM

same with me as well! is it a bug in the new version?

Genohawk
January 14th, 2010, 11:20 PM

I found out that if I take the EDITOR script from an older version of essentials and replace it with the newer one, it works.
Haven't had any problems with it yet. Though I am still havinng a problem with the BGM in trainer battles. it wants to play the ME until its done and won't play the battle BGM for the actual fight. Its quite frustrating.

KingCharizard
January 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM
The Battle BGM will not play during a normal encounter. I've tried EVERYTHING. I am using the latest version of Pokemon Essentials. Do you think anyone can help me? The overworld BGM continues into the battle.

You have to change the wild encounter using the editor or the metadata text file, to the music file you wish to use for example wildbattle.wav This is jyst an example of what the music file may be named...

I'm also having the same problem, I tried searching for the error myself but the code is messy. So I decided to wait till he releases a newer version. You on the other hand can continue to try to find the bug and fix it or just wait till next release(If there is one) and just use the text files for now.

Pokemon 3000
January 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Update: I think the Problem with the continueing ME on a trainer battle is a bug in Pokémon Essentials. When i choose a custom .mp3 for the intro, the Battle BGM doesn't start. (I used a clear pokestarter-project)

hey guys,

Hey Leute,

PokemonOI
January 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
WHAT LINE DO I EDIT TO MOVE THE OPPONENTS POKEMON SPRITE UP A FEW. NOT IN OUT NEW BS BUT THE OLD ONE

spitfire_hokage
January 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi. I'm new to pokemon essentials and I had a question. Sorry if it's noobish, but how do I change my main characters overwold graphic. I'm using the newest version of pokemon essentials.

Wichu
January 16th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Update: I think the Problem with the continueing ME on a trainer battle is a bug in Pokémon Essentials. When i choose a custom .mp3 for the intro, the Battle BGM doesn't start. (I used a clear pokestarter-project)

It's something in RMXP, not Essentials. ME has priority over BGM, so the BGM won't play until the ME has finished. Instead of using MEs for the trainer intros, use BGMs.

TACHAN
January 16th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I need help, the music encounter trainer never listened. Is it necessary to change the order of "Play ME"? (sorry for my english)

"Play ME"
-Battle: *Text*
-Type: Exorcista
-Name: Espe
-EndSpeech: *Text*
-EndBattle: *Text*
-EndIfSwitch: 27
pbTrainerIntro(:Exorcista)
Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
Script: pbTrainerBattle(fdjffsjkfdsjkfdsajfdsjkfdasjksadjksfdjk)
Local A ON

Thanks for all

Peeky Chew
January 16th, 2010, 04:38 AM
On one of my maps, only one, I can walk through everything on layer two, eventhough I've set it so you can't on the database. Help!

Pokemon 3000
January 16th, 2010, 05:33 AM
It's something in RMXP, not Essentials. ME has priority over BGM, so the BGM won't play until the ME has finished. Instead of using MEs for the trainer intros, use BGMs.

Hm, but in the Trainer Types, i can't choose a BGM on "Battle Intro ME" and the bug doesn't appear an older versions.

anyway thanks.

TACHAN
January 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I need help, the music encounter trainer never listened. Is it necessary to change the order of "Play ME"? (sorry for my english)

"Play ME"
-Battle: *Text*
-Type: Exorcista
-Name: Espe
-EndSpeech: *Text*
-EndBattle: *Text*
-EndIfSwitch: 27
pbTrainerIntro(:Exorcista)
Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
Script: pbTrainerBattle(fdjffsjkfdsjkfdsajfdsjkfdasjksadjksfdjk)
Local A ON

Thanks for all

Ok, I don´t need help. I saw in upokemoncenter.com.
This starter kit is fantastic!

PBS/trainernames.txt

This file stores data on each trainer type. This file is divided into lines, and each line is divided by fields separated by commas. These fields are defined below.

Field 7: Optional. ME (music effect) played before the battle begins

RMXPUser462
January 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Alright so I expanded the screen size to accomodate a DS resolution (only the top screen though, I'm not doing dual screens), however, I don't know how to change the text positions, images, etc. on things such as the Pokedex info screen, as seen here

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/PokemonDark/dexex.jpg

Can anyone help a brother out? :)

ShinyMeganium
January 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
A question:
Can you add border block like in Advancemap to save the time of adding trees for every single map?

PokemonOI
January 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I've never heard anyone mention it and I've been trying to figure it out myself but us there a what to have wild pokemon battles in a desert enviroment? the only ways I know of are wild battles in water,cave and grass. Someone please help me.

~JV~
January 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I've never heard anyone mention it and I've been trying to figure it out myself but us there a what to have wild pokemon battles in a desert enviroment? the only ways I know of are wild battles in water,cave and grass. Someone please help me.

Create a new environment, I did that, and as far as I remember, it wasn't that hard.

PokemonOI
January 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Create a new environment, I did that, and as far as I remember, it wasn't that hard.
How do I do that? I mean I know how to create new enviroments but How do I have it be an enviroment that wild encounters are posible just by walking around in the desert?

Peeky Chew
January 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
On one of my maps, only one, I can walk through everything on layer two, eventhough I've set it so you can't on the database. Help!
Still need help with this.

PokemonOI
January 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
nevermind my post I know how I will do this.

thepsynergist
January 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Ok, I haven't heard a single thing about what to do for this so I am going to spell it out in an easy way.

The Bug Catching Contest script in the latest Pokemon Essentials doesn't work.

The problem is, when the event is called, it acts like nothing is being called at all. The event continues as normal, but when I enter the Bug Catching contest area, the new battle menu isn't replaced. All the Pokemon are still in my party instead of the one I chose, and the timer isn't called either. It is like the script isn't even there. I didn't edit anything about the contest script. So, is there anyway that someone can help me with this? I've been dealing with this problem for over a month and I really need help with this. I'm kinda getting desperate here.

~JV~
January 18th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Is there anyway to make the game continues even if the player loses a battle to a WILD pokémon? In the same way it can be dono for trainers?

KingCharizard
January 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Is there anyway to make the game continues even if the player loses a battle to a WILD pokémon? In the same way it can be dono for trainers?

no I dont think there is but why do you want the trainer to lose? is it a legendary pokemon?

WHAT LINE DO I EDIT TO MOVE THE OPPONENTS POKEMON SPRITE UP A FEW. NOT IN OUT NEW BS BUT THE OLD ONE

you can actually edit the pokemon's sprite position by editing the actual sprite instead of editing code if you dont know ruby...

Peeky Chew
January 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM

KingCharizard
January 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Is it just one map? Try making a new map and see if the problem still occurs.

Worldslayer608
January 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Whenever I continue a game, or get past the intro on a new game, my game screen will be black for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Anyone know why?

~JV~
January 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
no I dont think there is but why do you want the trainer to lose? is it a legendary pokemon?

Well, now there is xD. I just wanted to see if someone had done this before, so I didn't spend my time on this without needing it. Pretty easy to script actually ^^. Well, I don't want to mess with the storyline, because you're supposed to stay in the same map if you win or lose.

Whenever I continue a game, or get past the intro on a new game, my game screen will be black for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Anyone know why?

Hmm slow computer + audio.dll maybe... Rename the audio.dll on your folder and test the game to see if there is any difference, if it doesn't than just rename it back to audio.dll and check the recent script and event changes you did =/.

|Maximus|
January 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Okay, how would I go about changing the x and y positions of the player's base?

EDIT: I just edited the x position, now how do I edit the y?

Maruno
January 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Okay, how would I go about changing the x and y positions of the player's base?

EDIT: I just edited the x position, now how do I edit the y?
Find this line:

pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,192+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)
The red part is the y coordinate.

The green part is the x coordinate, which you could have changed instead of whatever you did change. (I'm not sure what you could have changed instead, actually.)

|Maximus|
January 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Find this line:

pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,192+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)
The red part is the y coordinate.

The green part is the x coordinate, which you could have changed instead of whatever you did change. (I'm not sure what you could have changed instead, actually.)

Oh, haha thanks! This helps me out a lot!

I actually meant the y coordinate, I wanted to know how to edit the x coordinate, which you showed me how so...I am all set.

ShinyMeganium
January 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, I made it through with my previous problems...thanks anyways.

Yet, I have another one. I tried to set encounters, but,
A. They won't appear in the grass of my map...
B. If I set "Land", I'd get like 10 spots of Bulbasaur. I want to erase them all somehow and just set custom rates...I wouldn't have the time editing every single one in this list.

~JV~
January 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, I made it through with my previous problems...thanks anyways.

Yet, I have another one. I tried to set encounters, but,
A. They won't appear in the grass of my map...
B. If I set "Land", I'd get like 10 spots of Bulbasaur. I want to erase them all somehow and just set custom rates...I wouldn't have the time editing every single one in this list.

Set the tall grass tile tag to 2, it should work. Well, you will have more trouble editing the scripts to be able to do that than setting them in that way. If you don't have time for a ridiculous easy and quick of doing stuff like this, don't make a game.

spitfire_hokage
January 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi. I'm new to pokemon essentials and I had a question. Sorry if it's noobish, but how do I change my main characters overwold graphic. I'm using the newest version of pokemon essentials.
Can someone help please? Thanks to anyone that helps me out with this.

robie392
January 20th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Can someone help please? Thanks to anyone that helps me out with this.
I don't mean to sound mean but maybe you shouldn't be trying to make games if you cant figure stuff out like this, because its only going to get more difficult. Or its not really going to be a good game lack of features etc,

Here is your answer though:
look in the graphics folder till you see the main character, suggestion make the icons a little larger so you can quickly browse through with out opening the files but still seeing whats in them.

Another tip trying reading up on coding and through the instructions both normal and advanced and google tutorials and other such things till you have a general grasp and have a chance at making a good or at least decent game.

Legendaries
January 20th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I have no audio in Essentials. Why is that?

Wichu
January 20th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Try removing the Audio.dll file so it uses RGSS's built-in audio; the custom Audio.dll file is still a bit buggy.

ShinyMeganium
January 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Set the tall grass tile tag to 2, it should work. Well, you will have more trouble editing the scripts to be able to do that than setting them in that way. If you don't have time for a ridiculous easy and quick of doing stuff like this, don't make a game.
Well, I just say, if you use the Editor.exe file, it'd take a while to do it, since you'd do that in every 2nd outdoor map...

I can absolutely do this, I just asked if there's a faster way...no need to be annoyed by that.

Edit: alright, the whole density thing is set to 25/10/10.
That's how the code in Encounters.txt of the map looks:
031 # Route 1
Cave
PIDGEY,3
RATTATA,2
PIDGEY,6
RATTATA,2
PIDGEY,6
RATTATA,2
PIDGEY,6
RATTATA,5
PIDGEY,3
RATTATA,5
PIDGEY,3
RATTATA,5
I also tried Cave to make sure it's not the grass.
The grass tile is set to 2.
Yet no Pokemon appears.

Wichu
January 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I think the problem is that you don't have a Pokémon with you; obviously you can't battle wild Pokémon without one.
I could be wrong, but that's what I think could be the problem...

ShinyMeganium
January 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I think the problem is that you don't have a Pokémon with you; obviously you can't battle wild Pokémon without one.
I could be wrong, but that's what I think could be the problem...
Oh right, I copied the event that gives you 6 Pokemons and running shoes from the starting map, just for case, to check if the Wild Pokemons work on my custom maps before I've done the whole thing...

And the whole thing doesn't work under these conditions.
Thanks for reminding me to mention that though.
And the player is defined, obviously (not related to your post, just saying it in advance).

Pokemon 3000
January 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Am I the only one with this bug? =/ Its very annoying. I downloaded the newest Starter Kit and give a Trainer a Battle BGM and a Intro ME. But the BGM starts not until the Intro ends. I think it's a bug...

Wichu
January 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Try changing the ME to a BGM.

Pokemon 3000
January 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
The Editor allowes only ME's for the Intro. See attachment.

Legendaries
January 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Try removing the Audio.dll file so it uses RGSS's built-in audio; the custom Audio.dll file is still a bit buggy.

There is still no sound.. I am a bit disappointed with it :(