PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Maruno
March 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I got a problem with the sprites. My Pokémon Backsprites go higher and higher with every choice I make in battle (e.g. Attack). And often the Foe sprites appear way too high on their field.
I also looked at the usage notes, but can't find anything helpful.
I uploaded a screen to show what I mean...

h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/spritetoohigh1.PNG

It would be very nice if someone could describe in detail what I need to change where to solve that problem... so that I can follow.
(I'm sorry for my English, hope you could understand me)

Vi-black
You can set the heights of the foe Pokémon sprites in pokemon.txt (the BattlerEnemyY and BattlerAltitude lines). This is mentioned in the notes.

As for the back sprite rising up and up during battle, I had a similar problem (they sunk instead of rose). I fixed my problem by going into PokeBattle_ActualScene and looking for the line "if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1". You'll find something like this:

def update
@frame+=1
@updating=true
if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY+2
self.visible=@spriteVisible
elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end
@updating=false
endThis is the part of the code that tells the back sprite to bob up and down. My problem was that if I ordered an attack when the back sprite was currently "down", that "down" position became the new "up" position for the next round.

I solved this by adding in another "if" clause, like so:

def update
@frame+=1
@updating=true
if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=198
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=196
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end
@updating=false
end
The red bit is the stuff I added. I also changed the value in green. This now makes the back sprite's y position alternate between two fixed values, rather than "@spriteY" and "@spriteY+2" (which could be altered during battle).

I don't know whether the solution to your problem would look anything like this, but it's worth having a look. I know someone else had your same problem a while back, but I can't find their post (I know I responded to it, with the info I've just given). I think it worked for them.

Also note that my code is over a year old, and it may have changed since. Perhaps it's a change to this code that makes the back sprite now rise instead of sink - I don't know.

As always, it's best that you try to understand what's going on, rather than blindly copy what I've done.

Vi-black
March 6th, 2010, 01:01 AM
@ Maruno
Oh you're right about the foe positions. I missed that. I fixed the Delcatty position. Thank you!

But my second problem just changed *ggg*
Piplup is now blinking XD

Thats the script code part... but I'm afraid its different to yours. I'm at the very beginning in understanding Ruby, thatsway I have my problems in really understanding this now ^^'

self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY+@spriteYExtra
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=196
self.x=@spriteX
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
end
if @_iconbitmap
@_iconbitmap.update
self.bitmap=@_iconbitmap.bitmap
end
@updating=false

The green part is what i added...

Maybe you can tell me how to fix it?

Maruno
March 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM
It certainly looks like an attempt was made to fix it.

It's not blinking; the back sprite is simply shifting between two positions (as it should), but one of those positions is off the bottom of the screen.

In the code you added, I see the number 196. Don't use that - that's my number, and it certainly won't work correctly for you (I'm using a different screen resolution). Try using 50 and work from there. Alternatively, replace that line with "self.y=@spriteY", which may or may not work (I'd need to see the rest of PokeBattle_ActualScene to decide if it would).

This particular bug took me ages to figure out, and I'm usually quite good at figuring things out. But at least I've said where the problem lies, which is 80% of the problem, and another 19% is the solution which I've also posted (the remaining 1% is using the right number, which is up to you).

KingCharizard
March 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
@ Maruno

But my second problem just changed *ggg*
Piplup is now blinking XD

Thats the script code part... but I'm afraid its different to yours. I'm at the very beginning in understanding Ruby, thatsway I have my problems in really understanding this now ^^'

self.x=@spriteX
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=196
self.x=@spriteX
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
end
if @_iconbitmap
@_iconbitmap.update
end
@updating=false

The green part is what i added...

Maybe you can tell me how to fix it?

Here post this fix

self.x=@spriteX
self.y=118
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=120
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end

delete everything in your script between the blue parts including the blue parts if you want but you dont have to.

Paste the code above!

after you do change the red parts to the values you need those are my values. If you dont know your values playtest game as it is. If the pokemon is higher than you raise the values. If your pokemon is lower than its supposed to be you lower the value. With enough trial and error you should eventually find your values.

Thanks Maruno for that fix it works great.

Vi-black
March 6th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Very big thank you to both of you, this helped and I found my values. =)

It appears, that Charmander is too high now. The Y-Coord in the pokemon.txt file is right, it pops out at the right point but when I chose my command, it hops to a higher place...

KingCharizard
March 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Very big thank you to both of you, this helped and I found my values. =)

It appears, that Charmander is too high now. The Y-Coord in the pokemon.txt file is right, it pops out at the right point but when I chose my command, it hops to a higher place...

Can you provide another screenie? I edited my code with some changes i didnt give you, but if you give me a idea of your problem i can give you a fix. Also post your script please.

Vi-black
March 6th, 2010, 09:41 AM
(I watched, that most Poke like Piplup and Chelast don't have this problem. Pikachu is about 2 point too high and Shiggy/Charmander are way too high... I'm confused.)

Here are 2 screens. When battle begins and the Poke comes out its ball, it's at the right place. As soon as I can command, it switches to the high position (where it bumps up and down as it should). When I am about to switch it out, the pic is shortly shown at the starting (right) position.

Screen 1 - calling Charmander out:
h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/charmander1.png

Screen 2 - choose command
h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/charmander2.png

Part of the script (I copied a bigger part, maybe it helps)

class PokemonBattlerSprite < RPG::Sprite
attr_accessor :selected
def initialize(doublebattle,index,viewport=nil)
super(viewport)
@selected=0
@frame=0
@index=index
@updating=false
@doublebattle=doublebattle
@index=index
@spriteX=0
@spriteY=0
@spriteYExtra=0
@spriteVisible=false
@_iconbitmap=nil
self.visible=false
end
def selected=(value)
if @selected==1 && value!=1 && @spriteYExtra>0
self.y=@spriteY-@spriteYExtra
@spriteYExtra=0
end
@selected=value
end
def visible=(value)
@spriteVisible=value if !@updating
super
end
def x=(value)
@spriteX=value if !@updating
super
end
def y=(value)
@spriteY=value if !@updating
super
end
def update
@frame+=1
@updating=true
@spriteYExtra=2
else
@spriteYExtra=0
end
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=108
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=110
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end
if @_iconbitmap
@_iconbitmap.update
end
@updating=false
end
def dispose
@_iconbitmap.dispose if @_iconbitmap
@_iconbitmap=nil
self.bitmap=nil if !self.disposed?
super
end
def setPokemonBitmap(pokemon,back=false)
@_iconbitmap=pbLoadPokemonBitmap(pokemon,back)
self.bitmap=@_iconbitmap ? @_iconbitmap.bitmap : nil
end
def setPokemonBitmapSpecies(pokemon,species,back=false)
@_iconbitmap=pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies(pokemon,species,back)
end
end

Yusshin
March 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hi, hi! I'm very appreciative for this starter kit! but I have a question; all the sprites are positioned correctly in wild battles, but when a trainer sends out a Pokemon, the opponent's Pokemon is way too far up, and sometimes, it cuts the sprite in 1/2.

Is that a known bug or is that just me? I haven't touched any scripts; I'm paranoid about touching the scripts.

This happens with ALL Pokemon sent out by trainers; not just a few.

Ongekibou
March 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hey, I wanted to use an animated title screen, and the notes say to use an animated gif, however I've tried naming it "pic_1.gif", "pic_1.png", and even making it an animated png, but nothing works.

Alternatively, if someone could give me an example script on how to do a frame-by-frame animated title screen, that would also be swell.

Can anyone help me?

carmaniac
March 6th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hey, I wanted to use an animated title screen, and the notes say to use an animated gif, however I've tried naming it "pic_1.gif", "pic_1.png", and even making it an animated png, but nothing works.

Alternatively, if someone could give me an example script on how to do a frame-by-frame animated title screen, that would also be swell.

Can anyone help me?

You don't need a script to do this; simply save your animation as a .gif but when saving it do it like this file name:

(insert name here).png so that way it's an gif file with a .png extension to it.

EDIT:
Didn't read your post properly, have you made sure it's spelt Pic_1 with a capital P?

KingCharizard
March 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
(I watched, that most Poke like Piplup and Chelast don't have this problem. Pikachu is about 2 point too high and Shiggy/Charmander are way too high... I'm confused.)

Here are 2 screens. When battle begins and the Poke comes out its ball, it's at the right place. As soon as I can command, it switches to the high position (where it bumps up and down as it should). When I am about to switch it out, the pic is shortly shown at the starting (right) position.

Something is off then... the script is correct. Your values must be off then. try toying with the values

EDIT: I figured out your issue vi-black, for some reason your screen size is affecting the sprite position. I didnt search to find out why but i know what caused your bug now either you wait for someone to fix it I might if I get free time but its not a promise or adjust your screensize to fix your problem of course this can affect the type of game you want but its entirely up to you.

Vi-black
March 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM
EDIT: I figured out your issue vi-black, for some reason your screen size is affecting the sprite position.

My Screen size?
1440*900 px? Do you mean this? But I can't change that.. if I do, everything looks just stupid -.-'
(When I change the screen size in the options menu of the kit, the window size changes, but the problem is still there)

Plan B:
What about changing the pictures? I looked at the sprites and noticed, that Charmander is really a space higher then piplup. If I changed all Poke to the same position in their pictures it would work, wouldn't it?
h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/trick17.png

My (hopyfully) last question:
Imagine I would create a game with this and create the game file. I give it to someone and he/she installs the game, wants to play it. Will he/she see the game as I did?
Or does it again depend on his/her screensize/resolution? Because in that case, the picture work would be waste of time.

Ongekibou
March 7th, 2010, 12:41 AM
You don't need a script to do this; simply save your animation as a .gif but when saving it do it like this file name:

(insert name here).png so that way it's an gif file with a .png extension to it.

EDIT:
Didn't read your post properly, have you made sure it's spelt Pic_1 with a capital P?

Yeah, I have used capitals, just doesn't work. Opens the game, then proceeds to crash. The gif is about 17 seconds long; is it too long or something?

Mrchewy
March 7th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I have used capitals, just doesn't work. Opens the game, then proceeds to crash. The gif is about 17 seconds long; is it too long or something?

Does it crash with an error message? If so, pasting the message here might help us identify the issue.

Ongekibou
March 7th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Does it crash with an error message? If so, pasting the message here might help us identify the issue.

Nope, just freezes. No message.

carmaniac
March 7th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Nope, just freezes. No message.

That's rather odd, if you send me the gif file I may be able to help you to sort the issue out.
What exactly are you using to animate it as that can sometimes vary to the problem.

KingCharizard
March 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
My Screen size?
1440*900 px? Do you mean this? But I can't change that.. if I do, everything looks just stupid -.-'
(When I change the screen size in the options menu of the kit, the window size changes, but the problem is still there)

Plan B:
What about changing the pictures? I looked at the sprites and noticed, that Charmander is really a space higher then piplup. If I changed all Poke to the same position in their pictures it would work, wouldn't it?
h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/trick17.png

My (hopyfully) last question:
Imagine I would create a game with this and create the game file. I give it to someone and he/she installs the game, wants to play it. Will he/she see the game as I did?
Or does it again depend on his/her screensize/resolution? Because in that case, the picture work would be waste of time.

they will see what you let them. If you change the screensize then disable the option in the options menu so they cant change it. As for the graphice give it a shot. It never hurts to try.

Maruno
March 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Screen 1 - calling Charmander out:
h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/charmander1.png

Screen 2 - choose command
h ttp://poketeam.square7.ch/charmander2.png

Part of the script (I copied a bigger part, maybe it helps)

class PokemonBattlerSprite < RPG::Sprite
attr_accessor :selected
def initialize(doublebattle,index,viewport=nil)
super(viewport)
@selected=0
@frame=0
@index=index
@updating=false
@doublebattle=doublebattle
@index=index
@spriteX=0
@spriteY=0
@spriteYExtra=0
@spriteVisible=false
@_iconbitmap=nil
self.visible=false
end
def selected=(value)
if @selected==1 && value!=1 && @spriteYExtra>0
self.y=@spriteY-@spriteYExtra
@spriteYExtra=0
end
@selected=value
end
def visible=(value)
@spriteVisible=value if !@updating
super
end
def x=(value)
@spriteX=value if !@updating
super
end
def y=(value)
@spriteY=value if !@updating
super
end
def update
@frame+=1
@updating=true
@spriteYExtra=2
else
@spriteYExtra=0
end
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=108
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=110
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end
if @_iconbitmap
@_iconbitmap.update
end
@updating=false
end
def dispose
@_iconbitmap=nil
self.bitmap=nil if !self.disposed?
super
end
def setPokemonBitmap(pokemon,back=false)
@_iconbitmap=pbLoadPokemonBitmap(pokemon,back)
end
def setPokemonBitmapSpecies(pokemon,species,back=false)
@_iconbitmap=pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies(pokemon,species,back)
end
end
The green part in your code (the bit you added) describes where the back sprites are when they're bobbing up and down. This is different to where the back sprite appears from the Poké Ball. Your problem here is that your 108 (in the green code) and the back sprite's "@spritey" are different.

Find where "@spritey" is set for the back sprites. You'll find this towards the top of "class PokeballPlayerSendOutAnimation". If I'm right, it's initially set to 96 but then is changed by a few other things (for me, it's +Graphics.height-320, +metrics*2, +128). Figure out what 96 + 128 comes to, and replace your 108 with "224+(Graphics.height-320)". Here we're assuming a metric of zero (steps 2 and 3 make this true). Your other number in green (110) is just the first number plus 2.

That's step one. Step two is to edit every back sprite picture so that it's sitting on the bottom of the picture (i.e. no gap at the bottom). Aside from it being tedious, there should be no problem here.

Step three is to edit pokemon.txt and set all "BattlerPlayerY" to zero. This means you don't have to worry about the metrics value in the calculation above.

This is by no means an explanation of what's going on. It's a description of what you should do. Note that this only works in theory - I haven't tried exactly this myself. If I'm right, it should work fine regardless of how big the game window is (so you can change the game's resolution in the Options menu without worrying about messing up the battle screen).

When KingCharizard mentioned "screen size", he meant how big the game's window is (default 320x240), not how big your monitor is.

KingCharizard
March 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
The green part in your code (the bit you added) describes where the back sprites are when they're bobbing up and down. This is different to where the back sprite appears from the Poké Ball. Your problem here is that your 108 (in the green code) and the back sprite's "@spritey" are different.

Find where "@spritey" is set for the back sprites. You'll find this towards the top of "class PokeballPlayerSendOutAnimation". If I'm right, it's initially set to 96 but then is changed by a few other things (for me, it's +Graphics.height-320, +metrics*2, +128). Figure out what 96 + 128 comes to, and replace your 108 with "224+(Graphics.height-320)". Here we're assuming a metric of zero (steps 2 and 3 make this true). Your other number in green (110) is just the first number plus 2.

That's step one. Step two is to edit every back sprite picture so that it's sitting on the bottom of the picture (i.e. no gap at the bottom). Aside from it being tedious, there should be no problem here.

Step three is to edit pokemon.txt and set all "BattlerPlayerY" to zero. This means you don't have to worry about the metrics value in the calculation above.

This is by no means an explanation of what's going on. It's a description of what you should do. Note that this only works in theory - I haven't tried exactly this myself. If I'm right, it should work fine regardless of how big the game window is (so you can change the game's resolution in the Options menu without worrying about messing up the battle screen).

When KingCharizard mentioned "screen size", he meant how big the game's window is (default 320x240), not how big your monitor is.

That may work, He said its a theory and ideally it should work but I wouldn't go messing with too much if you dont know how. You do have a problem and it does need to be fixed but after you fix it I'd reccomend not messing with the scripts unless they need to be. Yeah i ment window size sorry about that shoulda been more clear.

@Ongekibou I think its a problem with the way the newer version of the kit handles gifs. I dunno why but it doesn't work right. I haven't worked on my title screen yet but when i do if i use a gif i'll post a fix if i need to make one. I know back in early 2009 the kit gifs worked fine. But i'd worry more about the game anyways because no one looks at the title screen for more than a minute and besides the animated title screen is an advanced feature not for the faint hearted, lol... If you really want the title screen though try to figure out the advanced feature Scenes in Pokemon Essentials (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/advanced.html)

Civil Servant
March 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Is there any difference between the "Tall Grass" tag and the "Grass" tag?

Also, is it possible to use the Editor to put tags on autotiles? I've autotiled my ice, but the RPGXP terrain tag editor doesn't go high enough to put the Ice tag on it.

thepsynergist
March 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
The difference is movement speed.

And, i don't know if you can do that to autotiles.

Cilerba
March 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Of course it's possible; how do you think the Mystery Gift function in Raptor works? :P

You should use a regular expression to find the text you need. For example, if your text doesn't contain the symbol '#', you could enclose the code in '#'s, like so: #XdQ8sK9X#
Then, use a regular expression to search for a string in between two '#'s:
string[/#(.*?)#/]
code=$1
The '/'s around a string mean the string is treated as a regular expression. In a regular expression, '.' stands for any character, '*' means repeat the previous character an arbitrary number of times, and '?' after the '*' means it stops as soon as it gets to the second '#' (without the '?', it would continue as '#' falls under 'any character'). The brackets around part of the regular expression in this case are used to save the contents of the brackets (the code) into a global variable ($1, as it's the first pair of brackets. If you had another pair, their contents would be in $2 and so on). After using the regular expression, it's a good idea to copy the contents of the $1 variable to your own variable, as next time you use a regular expression, the $1 variable is overwritten.

Thanks a lot! I am still confused where to put the codes though. What exactly would be the script to put. So sorry for being a pain :\

I still need help with what to use for a code.

KingCharizard
March 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I still need help with what to use for a code.

I'm curious why are you trying to add a feature to your project beyond your skill level? Why does everyone try to do this? If i cant figure a certain feature out i'd rather not bother to use it.

But anyways i'm going to try to help, but in order to do that I need to know exactly what your asking. Are you asking for the script? If you are unless some1 is gonna copy and paste theirs I believe your gonna have to write 1 yourself if you cant then i suggest you learn. If you dont wanna learn or cant learn then I suggest you forget about the feature.

Cilerba
March 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I'm curious why are you trying to add a feature to your project beyond your skill level? Why does everyone try to do this? If i cant figure a certain feature out i'd rather not bother to use it.

But anyways i'm going to try to help, but in order to do that I need to know exactly what your asking. Are you asking for the script? If you are unless some1 is gonna copy and paste theirs I believe your gonna have to write 1 yourself if you cant then i suggest you learn. If you dont wanna learn or cant learn then I suggest you forget about the feature.

I am trying to get better at scripting. If somebody tells me the code, and what certain parts mean (like Wichu did) then it helps me.

And what I am trying to do is implement a mystery gift feature into my game, similar to what Raptor does.

PokemonOI
March 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Can some one help me with this error?
---------------------------
Pokemon:Malachite Version~
Exception: TypeError
Compiler:2824:in `[]='
Compiler:2824:in `pbCompileAnimations'
Compiler:2822:in `each'
Compiler:2822:in `pbCompileAnimations'
Compiler:2819:in `each'
Compiler:2819:in `pbCompileAnimations'
Compiler:2898:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:2941

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Can test my game because of it....

KingCharizard
March 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Can some one help me with this error?

OK

Can test my game because of it....

Hmm seems to be something is off with the animation data. Did you currently edit anything in the animation editor. "It says you cant convert animation into string", Something that was edited or changed cant be converted into a the string data type, what did you do recently?

@Cilerba
I believe this tells you what to do.
Originally Posted by Cilerba http://www.pokecommunity.com/images/templates/blue/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5581122#post5581122)
Hi again. I was wondering if somebody could help me use the pbDownloadToString method.

I am kind of confused on what to do here.

Thankfully, this is quite simple. Basically, start off by creating a text file and uploading it to your site in comma seperated format:

Code:
PikaPika,25,10
The actually order and values of course, depends on what you're using the data for. In this case, I'm using nickname, Pokémon number and Pokémon level. There's no limit to the number of values you have. Next, you implement this script - in an event, for example:

Code:
string=pbDownloadToString("http://www.yoursite.com/test.txt")data = []string.each(',') {|s| data.push(s.delete(","))}
Basically, this code downloads the information from the text file (the text file needs to be in UTF-8) and puts it into an array. So in this case, data[0] is "PikaPika", data[1] is "25" and data[2] is "10". This values could be used for anything, really, but if you say, wanted to give the player a Pokémon...

Code:
pbAddForeignPokemon(data[1].to_i,data[2].to_i,_("Previous Owner"),_(data[0]))
In this case, it would give you a level 10 Pikachu, with a nickname "PikaPika". The ".to_i" is added after certain variables to convert strings into integers. In other words, the text string "25", is converted into the number value 25

If you cant figure it out then you shouldn't be messing with advanced features.

PokemonOI
March 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hmm seems to be something is off with the animation data. Did you currently edit anything in the animation editor. "It says you cant convert animation into string", Something that was edited or changed cant be converted into a the string data type, what did you do recently?

I changed how some of the animations would be seen recently, i have a backup of the old animation data though so lemme try that,.

EDIT: Nope it still does it..... :(

EDIT: I also get this error....

Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer' line 91: NameError occurred.
uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies
OK

KingCharizard
March 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I changed how some of the animations would be seen recently, i have a backup of the old animation data though so lemme try that,.

EDIT: Nope it still does it..... :(

are you sure, Would you mind posting the changes you've made?

PokemonOI
March 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
are you sure, Would you mind posting the changes you've made?
I only changed the animations from being shown in the MIDDLE to SCREEN...

I also get this;
OK

These errors are really random cuz I havent touched any script in quite some time..... and things were working perfectly fine earlier today...

thepsynergist
March 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I had a bug that randomly changed the trainer type of BUGCATCHER to TRAINER12...I fixed it, but it was random, maybe the same thing happened to your game.

Mrchewy
March 7th, 2010, 11:59 PM

Charizard, I'd watch your attitude if I were you. Given that you've can't even change the game resolution yourself, you shouldn't be so quick to call out other people for struggling with scripts. Also, if you'd bothered reading his entire problem, you'd know that he already knows how to do that, but wants to modify it a little.

KingCharizard
March 8th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Charizard, I'd watch your attitude if I were you. Given that you've can't even change the game resolution yourself, you shouldn't be so quick to call out other people for struggling with scripts. Also, if you'd bothered reading his entire problem, you'd know that he already knows how to do that, but wants to modify it a little.

Wow seriously you just had to say that huh?! First I can change the game res I dont wish to. I perfer the GBA style and I was testing a DS Sprite and I knew it looked off just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a perfectionist. I infact changed many of the default scripts that came with the kit. Sigh* but I guess posts like the one above are prone to happen when people assume they know whats going on and jump to conclusions...

Klofkac
March 8th, 2010, 01:20 AM
How I can make the centrain pokémon doesn't pop out from ball, but it goes from side?

Like in HG/SS and pikachu in yellow.

Cilerba
March 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM

@Cilerba
I believe this tells you what to do.

MrChewy told me to use this as a code.
string=pbDownloadToString("http://www.yoursite.com/test.txt")
data = []
string.each(',') {|s| data.push(s.delete(","))}

But Wichu told me to use this so I can have a mystery gift similar to raptor's.

string[/#(.*?)#/]
code=$1

What code do I use to get the mystery gift?

PokemonOI
March 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I had a bug that randomly changed the trainer type of BUGCATCHER to TRAINER12...I fixed it, but it was random, maybe the same thing happened to your game.
Nah I dont think we have the same error....The only thing I think we have in common are that they both come out of no where....This is really bugging me. I cant do anything to my game and test it now....

Mrchewy
March 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Wow seriously you just had to say that huh?! First I can change the game res I dont wish to

Really?

... also DS size screen doesn't work for me...

I don't wish to begin an argument here, and if I'm reading your post wrong than I apologise. I'd just advise you to be less aggressive and hypocritical in the future; don't call out other people for being amateur, especially when you're at about the same level of skill as they are.

@Cilerba: Both those samples of code are snippets only. While the code I gave can work on its own, if you want to do something more advanced you're going to have to learn RGSS and use Wichu's method. I would love to help here but my actually knowledge of RGSS doesn't extend that far.

Yusshin
March 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
How do I fix the weird Y axis of trainer Pokemon as well as the weird position of your actual sprite after a few moves in battle (when your Pokemon "bobs", it'll gradually ascend the Y axis of the screen).

I think someone else posted this; I posted about it earlier. The Editor option for sprite rearrangement doesn't help.

KingCharizard
March 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Here post this fix

self.x=@spriteX
self.y=118
elsif @selected==1
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=120
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
elsif
self.x=@spriteX
self.y=@spriteY
end

delete everything in your script between the blue parts including the blue parts if you want but you dont have to.

Paste the code above!

after you do change the red parts to the values you need those are my values. If you dont know your values playtest game as it is. If the pokemon is higher than you raise the values. If your pokemon is lower than its supposed to be you lower the value. With enough trial and error you should eventually find your values.

@yusshin here you go.

find the script pokebattle_Actualscene and past the code above anf follow the rest of directions

@mrchewy

also DS size screen doesn't work for me...

I ment i dont like the way it looks... you did read it wrong. If i can make the screen smaller im sure i can make it longer and wider. If i can handle a low level language like C++ i'm sure Ruby isn't hard for me to pick up without actually learning it. While I admit i'm hardly an expert in ruby but its not a hard language to figure out being everything in ruby looks like objects and is way easier to read/modify than C++....

Yusshin
March 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
That's to fix the bobbing part, right? Thanks.

[Edit]

It worked; now I just need to figure out how to fix the trainer battles. Is there a fix somewhere for that, too?

Maruno
March 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
That's to fix the bobbing part, right? Thanks.

[Edit]

It worked; now I just need to figure out how to fix the trainer battles. Is there a fix somewhere for that, too?
There are two parts that dictate the y coordinates for foe pokémon - one for trainer battles and one for wild battles. Make sure the code that sets the y coordinates in those two places looks the same. Hint - search for "metrics".

We really do need a wiki to put up FAQs. I'm getting a little tired now of seeing battle sprite placement problems, and other questions that keep getting repeated. No, the wiki wouldn't stop people asking these questions (I imagine only 5% of users would ever read it before asking), but it'd be much easier to answer them - "read the wiki".

KingCharizard, how is your attempt at an informal wiki going?

KingCharizard
March 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
There are two parts that dictate the y coordinates for foe pokémon - one for trainer battles and one for wild battles. Make sure the code that sets the y coordinates in those two places looks the same. Hint - search for "metrics".

We really do need a wiki to put up FAQs. I'm getting a little tired now of seeing battle sprite placement problems, and other questions that keep getting repeated. No, the wiki wouldn't stop people asking these questions (I imagine only 5% of users would ever read it before asking), but it'd be much easier to answer them - "read the wiki".

I didn't think people wanted the wiki, i mean I had a more serious one but I went on vacation when i came home my bro messed with it so now its trashed and i didnt bother fixing it since the community felt a senior member like Neo or someone should make one. I can honestly say I wont be writing another either. I'll contribute to one but not try to manage one.

Mrchewy
March 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM

I certainly agree. I think the starter kit has grown large enough that it we really need to sort out some more documentation. Given that poccil only checks in occasionally, I'll also look into what options we've got for a GameDev wiki.

pokemonforever27
March 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I actually have two problems.

The first one is that I have a map that appears to be looping itself. Here's what I mean:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1508/lab.png

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is. RMXP says everything is ok. The Visual Editor says everything is fine, and that it isn't some how connected to itself...I'm spent. Any ideas, anyone?

My second problem is a bit more of a hinder to gameplay. Somehow, despite me lining everything up in the Visual Editor, setting it up manually, my map connections aren't working. If you walk south in PALLET TOWN, instead of coming to the ocean peacefully, the ocean somehow comes above you instead! Here's what I mean:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7269/pallettowna.png
If I take one step down, this happens:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1986/wrongplace.png

For reference, here is the scene in the Visual Editor, and the connections.txt file itself:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6664/connections.png
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4368/visualeditor.png

I've searched for a possible cause to both problems for almost five hours. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Yusshin
March 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Uh-oh, Maruno is speaking mumbojumbo with me .-. I can't search all the scripts in one shot for "Metrics"; what script is it in exactly? I specialize in mapping and events, not scripts o-o;;;

KingCharizard
March 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM
@Poke4ever Go into the editor and take snap to edges off that should solve your problems...

@yusshin its the Pokebattle_Actualscene script... Use ctrl+F to find each "metrics"

I have an issue I created a few animations and when I try to get them in game they aren't showing up. Its quite annoying here is my

Ember animation - Ember.Zip (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNXTNJQP)

It works, its not too advanced i'd like to know why wont it import into my game before i make it complex... If i cant use it I dont wanna bother working on it.

pokemonforever27
March 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM
@Poke4ever Go into the editor and take snap to edges off that should solve your problems...

Snap Edges is off on all maps, and it's still doing it. It's like it's layering one map over the other, and I can't figure out why it's doing it.

If I had any graphics skills at all, I'd help with ember, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be much use...sorry.

taimao
March 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I've got the multiple forms figured out, and I know how to impliment an alternate pokemon cry (even if there is only Shaymin). However, I cannot find the sky form's cry anywhere I look. Does anyone know where to find that one cry.

Wichu
March 10th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Shaymin Sky Forme's cry: download (http://www.2shared.com/file/12002646/294447ca/492SkyCry.html).

taimao
March 10th, 2010, 08:33 AM
@Wichu: Thank you so much! That is so helpful. If you ever need anything you think I can help with. Do not hessitate to ask.

PokemonOI
March 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Could someone help me with these two errors?

OK

OK

Poke25
March 13th, 2010, 04:10 AM
How do you download it? The link in his signature leads to a blank white screen.

Mrchewy
March 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Poke25, the link (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip) is working fine for me.

Poke25
March 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I tried to open it in I.E. and instead of giving me the blank white screen, it gives me an error message that says "this site requires you to log in" it then states that internet explorer can connect to the site, but doesn't have permission to view it.

Youji
March 13th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I have a problem... How do I actually get 15-Bit colors as it's used in some places in the scripts? I really searched almost the whole internet (over an hour now) and did always find the #RRGGBB converter but not a 0xXXYY converter...

I'm confused...

KingCharizard
March 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I have a problem... How do I actually get 15-Bit colors as it's used in some places in the scripts? I really searched almost the whole internet (over an hour now) and did always find the #RRGGBB converter but not a 0xXXYY converter...

I'm confused...

15 Bit colors is the way you describe a bitmap image, its not obtainable its how your computer hadels the rendering of certain images. Its also knows as HiColor a way to show life like images/colors...

Youji
March 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
So no way to get the code like in the notes.html?

\[XXXXYYYY] - Displays the text in the base color XXXX and shadow color YYYY. Each color is a hexadecimal 15-bit RGB color

KingCharizard
March 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM
So no way to get the code like in the notes.html?

what colors you want the text? Thats not actual code either, You need to learn what is before you go messing with scripts and such.

Youji
March 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I know what I do, no worry. I'm an experienced coder so yeah...o_O

I just don't know how to get those color codes :D I'm currently messing around in the Pokemon_Summary script and try to change the redish colors of the name of the Pokemons nature and of course the red of the Level and such (Trainer Memo stuff). These colors are used there.
And I want to change them. They're no single texts (like the Pokemons name or so, where normal RGB codes are used) and they have 2 colors (well actually 4 because of the shade) and that's why this is used and still...yeah xD dunno how to convert it from RGB.

Colbex
March 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hm, okay, just a few, hopefully simple questions. o.o

1 - How do I set certain BGM to play during battles for a roaming species? (ex: the legendary beasts all have custom bgm in HG/SS)

2 - How do I set battle backgrounds to be different based on time? (ie: nightly background)

3 - For some reason, when eventing this event, I get this error.
Event:
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt125/SupaTai/Untitled2.jpg
Error:
Interpreter:509:in `command_end'
Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:191:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:196:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:63:in `main'
Scene_Map:60:in `loop'I have a small theory, but I wanna see if someone has the answer first. The event transfers the character to a different map, however that different map is connected to the map containing the event, unlike events that transfer on the same map, or that transfer to interior maps that aren't connected. Would this have anything to do with the problem, or am I just receiving one of those random errors that you can't do anything about?

Etheor
March 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hello guys, I just ran into an error. I set 9 pokemon to be picked at the beginning instead of 3 (because I love overkill. I'll probably change this later)

However, when one is picked, this error occurs:

Exception: NoMethodError

Game_Character_1:172:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:127:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:179:in `update'

Spriteset_Map:242:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:237:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:237:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:92:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:45:in `each'

The only script editing I've done is to get rid of shinies. What's going on here and how do I fix it? I essentially copy-pasted the events from the Pokemon Lab test map.

carmaniac
March 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM

1 - How do I set certain BGM to play during battles for a roaming species? (ex: the legendary beasts all have custom bgm in HG/SS)

2 - How do I set battle backgrounds to be different based on time? (ie: nightly background)

3 - For some reason, when eventing this event, I get this error.
Event:
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt125/SupaTai/Untitled2.jpg
Error:
Scene_Map:60:in `loop'I have a small theory, but I wanna see if someone has the answer first. The event transfers the character to a different map, however that different map is connected to the map containing the event, unlike events that transfer on the same map, or that transfer to interior maps that aren't connected. Would this have anything to do with the problem, or am I just receiving one of those random errors that you can't do anything about?

I had a problem like this with one of my events that transfer a player to map that is connected to the event one. If you put a wait command under the transfer for 3 frames it may work but I'm not sure.

Mrchewy
March 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I tried to open it in I.E. and instead of giving me the blank white screen, it gives me an error message that says "this site requires you to log in" it then states that internet explorer can connect to the site, but doesn't have permission to view it.

I imagine this is a problem with your browser, not the site. Try downloading it using another one (such as FireFox).

Maruno
March 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM

1 - In PokemonUtilities, look for pbGetWildBattleBGM. Simply check whether the species is Suicune, and if so, return Suicune's battle music.

Note that this only works if you want every instance of encountering Suicune in the wild to play that music. It's unlikely, but you may not want this (for example, being able to encounter Gyarados in the wild with regular music, but having one Gyarados encounter have different music) - if this is the case, odds are that special encounter (e.g. shiny Gyarados) is triggered by an event, in which case just set nextbattleBGM in that event before the battle.

2 - In PokeBattle_ActualScene, look for pbBackdrop. This sets the backdrop ID depending on the environment. You can modify this script to give different ID numbers depending on the time of day quite easily.

thepsynergist
March 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
@Colbex
Here, replace your def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species) line of code with this one.

def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species)
if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM
return $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM.clone
end
wildbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataWildBattleBGM)
if wildbgm
wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
else
wildbgm="Johto Wild Battle.mp3"
end
case species
when PBSpecies::ENTEI, PBSpecies::RAIKOU, PBSpecies::SUICUNE
wildbgm="Pokemon Crystal - Vs Suicune.mp3"
end
return pbStringToAudioFile(wildbgm)
end

Obviously, you can change the name of the music to whatever you want. I just use this for my game. Also, keep adding more to the case, species, if you want to add more.

PokemonOI
March 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
does anybody have any idea what may the problem with my errors?

Colbex
March 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
@Maruno & thepsynergist: Thanks you two. It works like a charm.

@carmaniac: no luck. =\ I just made a copy of the map with snap edges though, and it works just fine. Thanks anyway. o.o

@PokemonOI: I'm not good at reading error codes, but the second looks like it might just be some sort of typo. Why not post the part of the script that's being affected? x.x

PokemonOI
March 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM
class PokeBattle_Trainer
##########
# Trainer's initial money
INITIALMONEY=2000
MAXMONEY=999999
##########
attr_reader(:name)
attr_accessor(:id)
attr_accessor(:trainertype)
attr_accessor(:badges)
attr_accessor(:seen)
attr_accessor(:money)
attr_accessor(:owned)
attr_accessor(:party)
attr_accessor(:pokedex) # Whether the Pokédex was obtained
attr_accessor(:pokegear)
def money=(value)
@money=[[value,MAXMONEY].min,0].max
end
def trainerTypeName # Name of this trainer type (localized)
return PBTrainers.getName(@trainertype) rescue _INTL("PKMN Trainer")
end
def moneyEarned # Money won when trainer is defeated
ret=0
pbRgssOpen("Data/trainernames.dat","rb"){|f|
trainernames=Marshal.load(f)
return 30 if !trainernames[@trainertype]
ret=trainernames[@trainertype][3]
}
return ret
end
def gender
ret=2 # 2 = gender unknown
pbRgssOpen("Data/trainernames.dat","rb"){|f|
trainernames=Marshal.load(f)
if !trainernames[trainertype]
ret=2
else
ret=trainernames[trainertype][7]
ret=2 if !ret
end
}
return ret
end
def pokemonParty
return @party.find_all {|item| item && !item.egg? }
end
def pokemonCount
ret=0
for i in 0...@party.length
ret+=1 if @party[i] && !@party[i].egg?
end
return ret
end
def ablePokemonCount
ret=0
for i in 0...@party.length
ret+=1 if @party[i] && !@party[i].egg? && @party[i].hp>0
end
return ret
end
def fullname
return _INTL("{1} {2}",self.trainerTypeName,@name)
end
def numbadges # Number of badges
ret=0
for i in 0...@badges.length
ret+=1 if @badges[i]
end
return ret
end
def publicID(id) # Portion of the ID which is visible on the Trainer Card
return id&0xFFFF
end
def pokedexSeen # Number of Pokémon seen
ret=0
for i in 0..PBSpecies.maxValue
ret+=1 if @seen[i]
end
return ret
end
def pokedexOwned # Number of Pokémon owned
ret=0
ret+=1 if @owned[i]
end
return ret
end
def setForeignID(other)
@id=other.getForeignID
end
def getForeignID # Random ID other than this Trainer's ID
fid=0
loop do
fid=rand(256)
fid|=rand(256)<<8
fid|=rand(256)<<16
fid|=rand(256)<<24
break if fid!=@id
end
return fid
end
def initialize(name,trainertype)
@name=name
@trainertype=trainertype
@id=rand(256)
@id|=rand(256)<<8
@id|=rand(256)<<16
@id|=rand(256)<<24
@seen=[]
@owned=[]
@badges=[]
@pokedex=false
@pokegear=false
@seen[i]=false
@owned[i]=false
end
for i in 0..7
@badges[i]=false
end
@money=INITIALMONEY
@party=[]
end
end

there

Bordew5
March 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks so much :D this is going to be really usefull for a game I want to make, Pokemon Tropic Orange version :).

incognito322
March 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Does anyone know the approximate walking speed of the DS Pokemon games in RMXP. I know how to edit the movement speed, but none of the values I pick seem to be good enough... also, is there away to change the tileset editor so that tiles are 16 by 14 (32 by 28) instead of 16 by 16 (32 by 32)?

Nickalooose
March 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
what do I have to put in the scripts, so that if "you" had a Bulbasaur or whatever, and was in your team, something else would happen... i.e.

if Blah
blah blah blah blah blah
$blah_blah=blah
blah blah blah(blah,blah_blah)
elsif Blah && ---->[B]has Bulbasaur<---- && ---->in team<----
blah blah blah blah blah
$blah_blah=blah
blah blah blah(blah,blah_blah)

I no all the "blah's" are quite annoying but the only thing i wanna no is what [B]that specific code is for checking whether this Pokémon is owned! And, is in the team

I no that its something like, !hasSpecies, in-game, but thats not what im looking for!

I am trying to learn this language! I can do basic things, switches, variables, text, etc. etc. But I wanna try this new code im practising for checking Pokémon Owned, Trainer ID and Is In the Team Now...

If you no all 3 that would be great help :)

venom12
March 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
How can i change size of displaying map? I using res 760 height i want to display 384 what i must edit?

Colbex
March 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hm, here's a question I've been wondering for some time.
Is there a way, in the scripts, to edit the.. how do I put this..."options" given when making a trainer?
What I'm trying to do is edit it, to where I can also set the ability and gender of that trainer's PokéMon. For example, regarding gender, instead of it being random, the poke should be the same gender as the trainer unless a certain gender only, genderless, or it's set to the opposite. It just makes sense if you lost to a trainer that their bidoof didn't have a sex change in the two minutes it took to walk from the Center back to the Route. And also, setting the ability makes it easier and more creative when making gym leader teams, ect. I'm hoping it's not too difficult, considering you can set EV spread and nature for battle tower PokéMon.

And now, for a question that may affect more people. A solution for this glitch was stated a very long time ago, but essentials has updated and learning how to correct it now seems very vague to me. (please note, I'm using the Feb. 08 release of essentials)

Playing the game in normal mode, go to a PokeCenter PC and go to move PokeMon.
Select a Pokemon, then select cancel, or select move, then cancel. The debug menu for that Poke will show up....yea, not good. o.o;

VEGET@
March 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have a problem with the background and the hp/exp bars:

Sorry for my english.

Nickalooose
March 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I have a problem with the background and the hp/exp bars:

Sorry for my english.

to me that looks like you need to resize the background picture... it didnt fit at the size it is and is looping itself to fit, like if you were to put a small picture as your desktop picture on your pc/laptop! but thats what it looks like!

the hp bar, not a clue!

Youji
March 16th, 2010, 07:41 AM
The background is as said in the post above me not resized.

The HP Bar + Text must be repositioned in the PokeBattle_ActualScene script.

incognito322
March 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm hoping I phrased this properly... Is there a way to get the icons next to the menu items in DPPt and do the same with them in Pokemon Essentials? If so, I'd love to know how...

KitsuneKouta
March 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The notes for the starter kit say that button input processing was redefined. I searched the scripts for references to Button_Input_Processing, but found no difference from the original RMXP script. What was changed, and how can it be changed back?

roxes331
March 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
will someone please help me i made me a great intro but when i transffer player home i get a error message but i cant seem to have it set a sprite the sprite is invisable everytime i tr and open the menu or anything itl say please refer to documentation

SpawnHyuuga
March 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Sorry for the most retarded question ever, but is it possible to change the player's graphic later? This is a semi-vital function as well as a some-fun-later option. (There are changeable costumes in my game.)

Maruno
March 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM
The notes for the starter kit say that button input processing was redefined. I searched the scripts for references to Button_Input_Processing, but found no difference from the original RMXP script. What was changed, and how can it be changed back?
If you can't find any differences, why do you want to revert it? What has it changed, and why don't you like it?

will someone please help me i made me a great intro but when i transffer player home i get a error message but i cant seem to have it set a sprite the sprite is invisable everytime i tr and open the menu or anything itl say please refer to documentation
The intro screen must contain two things: a call to pbChangePlayer and a call to pbTrainerName (or $Trainer=PokeBattle_Trainer.new("Dave",pbGetPlayerTrainerType) if you want to force the player to use a specific name).

I'm guessing here that in your editing of the intro map, you've deleted the pbChangePlayer call. pbChangePlayer sets the player's sprites, and without it the player is invisible.

Sorry for the most retarded question ever, but is it possible to change the player's graphic later? This is a semi-vital function as well as a some-fun-later option. (There are changeable costumes in my game.)
pbChangePlayer should do it. Assuming more than one alternate outfit per gender (by default you can have up to 4 player characters defined), then you'll have to modify the scripts to allow more sets of sprites to be used.

I believe I made a post in this thread about doing exactly this the other month. Try searching for "PlayerA" and/or "PlayerC" - I probably used those words in my post.

KitsuneKouta
March 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
If you can't find any differences, why do you want to revert it? What has it changed, and why don't you like it?

I'm trying to make a menu, where you use button input processing to select the different options. In a fresh RMXP project, it works just fine, however in the starter kit any key input is interpreted as up. So, you can only go up through the menu options, and can't cancel, select, or go down.

Soul.//Silver
March 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this with the latest Essentials, but the following letters are cut off on the Name screen: M, Z, m, z.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6596/cutoffletters.png

SpawnHyuuga
March 17th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks Maruno, I guess I'll have to drop the idea or pick up RGSS. I was hoping to just be able to switch out the graphics and change them back thru a wardrobe.

KitsuneKouta
March 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks Maruno, I guess I'll have to drop the idea or pick up RGSS. I was hoping to just be able to switch out the graphics and change them back thru a wardrobe.

I've dealt with the same thing before too. You don't need to know RGSS to do it, especially since it's a minor edit. Basically, you would define a trainer for every costume in the exact same way you would for the original player trainer. If you want more than four, then you just have to do what Maruno said and change the limit from 4 to whatever you want. The new character would then replace your character using the pbChangePlayer script (which can be found in the intro event if you don't know how to use it). Then, even though you're using a different character, it's still interpreted as "you" in-game, with the same name, etc.

SpawnHyuuga
March 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I'm working on it right now along with the list of alternate costumes. (Tho I'm not lazy, so don't expect to morph into a character, in my game. You can still tell who you are, you just look similar to the other person. [It's like wearing their clothes.])

Anyone got a quick command/script/whatever that can do this for me, I looked thru the notes:

* Checks entire party for a Pokemon whom is at least Level X.
* Displays text, Pokemon Y was able to do Z. (Z is defined by me as an action.)

It's part of a flashback event, so I was wondering...

ldida1
March 17th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I Need help with hidden move fly...
I have made healing spots on town map gen and and made a map and all that but when i test the game and choose fly it wont let me fly anywhere... what am i doing wrong?

Valora17
March 17th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I need help with figuring out how to use the cut trees as well as making it so that the character jumps over the hill thingy.

I have the cut tree set, the animation is in the works, but how do I make it so that I only have the option of cutting it if I have a pokemon with the move CUT in my party?

As far as the hill thing goes, how do I make it so that the character actually JUMPS over it, as opposed to not being able to pass it, or just walking OVER it?

KitsuneKouta
March 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I need help with figuring out how to use the cut trees as well as making it so that the character jumps over the hill thingy.

I have the cut tree set, the animation is in the works, but how do I make it so that I only have the option of cutting it if I have a pokemon with the move CUT in my party?

As far as the hill thing goes, how do I make it so that the character actually JUMPS over it, as opposed to not being able to pass it, or just walking OVER it?

If you are in debug mode, you will be able to use any HM regardless of whether or not you have a pokemon that can use it. Test it using the Game.exe.

With ledges, you have to set the terrain tag to 1, then set the 4 directional passage so that the passage arrow is pointing toward where the player will be coming from. Only 1 direction should be allowed.

chaostres403
March 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I get this whenever I run a wid battle:

Pokemon Essentials

PokeBattle_Battle:523:in `pbSetSeen'

PokeBattle_Battle:638:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:549:in `pbStartBattle'

PokemonField:753:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:752:in `pbSceneStandby'

PokemonField:754:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:751:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonField:751:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:1069:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'

PokemonField:1092:in `pbOnStepTaken'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

OK

And this whenever I run a trainer battle.

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Section069:523:in `pbSetSeen'undefined method `true' for false:FalseClass

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::TEAMMAGMA_Male,"Grunt",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokeBattle_Battle:718:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokemonTrainers:411:in `pbTrainerBattle'

PokemonTrainers:410:in `pbSceneStandby'

PokemonTrainers:412:in `pbTrainerBattle'

PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbTrainerBattle'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

OK

Any help?

Nickalooose
March 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
How would i go about giving a trainer a shiny pokemon? not me, the opponent!

chaostres403
March 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
In the Editor, got to Edit Trainers, Select the Pokemon you want to be shiny, and go down to the bottom right above Shadow it'll say Shiny=false. Just switch it to true.

ldida1
March 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Please help me with fly i have travelled to the place i want to fly but it still wont fly nothing happens.
I have changed the healing point in the townmap gen and on the editor.

KitsuneKouta
March 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I solved the issue with Button Input Processing. There were just some extra scripts that needed to be commented out. It hasn't caused any stability issues, so it seems safe enough. My next problem is with new terrain tags. I've already defined a tag as "Mud," and just placed it over every instance of the sand tag. It's supposed to make the player move at 1/2 speed, however it does nothing. Here's the formula I'm using, and I've tried many variations:

elsif event==$game_player && currentTag==PBTerrain::Mud
event.move_speed==move_speed / 2
end

The above is under Events.onStepTakenFieldMovement in PokemonField (around line 1005).
I've also used $game_player.move_speed instead of event.move_speed, with no difference.

KingCharizard
March 18th, 2010, 09:25 PM
event.move_speed==move_speed / 2
end

Well I notice an syntax error in your code above its "else if" I think your missing something else in the above code. Should mud be capital?

Mrchewy
March 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Well I notice an syntax error in your code above its "else if" I think your missing something else in the above code. Should mud be capital?

It is actually "elsif" (yes, without the 'e'). While 'else if' could also be used, you're actually just creating an entire second if statement. Elsif can be used within the same if statement, generally making things easier.

KitsuneKouta
March 19th, 2010, 04:43 AM

This is the code within the scripts already written for essentials:

Events.onStepTakenFieldMovement+=proc{|sender,e|
event=e[0] # Get the event affected by field movement
currentTag=pbGetTerrainTag(event)
if currentTag==PBTerrain::Grass
$scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(GRASS_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y)
elsif event==$game_player && currentTag==PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest
# Descend waterfall, but only if this event is the player
Kernel.pbDescendWaterfall(event)
elsif $game_map.terrain_tag(event.x,event.y)==PBTerrain::Ice
Kernel.pbSlideOnIce(event)
event.move_speed==2
end
}

Also, yes mud was defined with a capital M.
This is not the only instance where the Mud tag had to be scripted in, however it is what is supposed to define it's function. The rest of the references to mud are just defining it in the same way as other tags. To clarify, it doesn't throw an error. It simply does nothing.

KingCharizard
March 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
This is the code within the scripts already written for essentials:

Events.onStepTakenFieldMovement+=proc{|sender,e|
event=e[0] # Get the event affected by field movement
currentTag=pbGetTerrainTag(event)
if currentTag==PBTerrain::Grass
$scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(GRASS_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y)
elsif event==$game_player && currentTag==PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest
# Descend waterfall, but only if this event is the player
Kernel.pbDescendWaterfall(event)
elsif $game_map.terrain_tag(event.x,event.y)==PBTerrain::Ice
Kernel.pbSlideOnIce(event)
event.move_speed==2
end
}

Also, yes mud was defined with a capital M.
This is not the only instance where the Mud tag had to be scripted in, however it is what is supposed to define it's function. The rest of the references to mud are just defining it in the same way as other tags. To clarify, it doesn't throw an error. It simply does nothing.

@Mr. chewy I just perfer clear code. I dont like the shortcuts that are allowed, in my mind its an syntax error... In the compliers code its allowed...

@kitsune it appears he calls the global events when the statement is true, try doing this the same way. (kernel.statement) i believe is a call to a global object. I could be wrong though, your code looks fine I dunno why its not working keep trying differnt things.

KitsuneKouta
March 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
@kitsune it appears he calls the global events when the statement is true, try doing this the same way. (kernel.statement) i believe is a call to a global object. I could be wrong though, your code looks fine I dunno why its not working keep trying differnt things.I looked through the scripts and it appears that only the HM related terrain tags, and the ice tag, are like that. For example: the ice tag calls Kernel.pbSlideOnIce, but the tags for ledges and grass don't.

Also, the ice tag calls that global event in the same way that grass defines it's function, except grass doesn't reference to an outside script but instead defines its behavior locally.

I also made a global event for mud, and called it the same way ice calls its global event, and it still did nothing. And, I made it have a syntax error so I could see if it was calling it at all, and it was. The problem is likely the equation, but I haven't been able to fix it yet.

lezebulon
March 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
>event.move_speed==2
no
doesn't work like that

KitsuneKouta
March 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM
lezebulon;5634745]>event.move_speed==2
no
doesn't work like thatIs it possible to change the character's movement speed with a script, instead of events? I know how to define the speed of walking, running, and the bike, but those are static. There should be some script that functions like the different aspects of set move route. I know how to event something like this, but it would get very ugly...

SpawnHyuuga
March 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Anyone got a quick command/script/whatever that can do this for me, I looked thru the notes:

Hate to sound like a whiner, but this is just a little bit important for the game. Kind of tells your character's backstory. I've tried messing around but got nothing.

Maruno
March 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks, I'm working on it right now along with the list of alternate costumes. (Tho I'm not lazy, so don't expect to morph into a character, in my game. You can still tell who you are, you just look similar to the other person. [It's like wearing their clothes.])

Check the party for a pokémon with level greater than or equal to 30:

for pkmn in $Trainer.party
if pkmn.level>=30
<do whatever you want>
break
end
end
Display text:

action=_INTL("Vine Whip")
text=_INTL("{1} was able to do {2}.",pkmn.name,action)
Kernel.pbMessage(text)

Doesn't take a genius, to be honest.

Valora17
March 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but I tried to have one of the NPCs in my game give the player the Running Shoes and Pokedex using the script provided in Test Map 2 but it didn't work for some reason. Can anyone explain this to me or give me the proper script?

thepsynergist
March 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
$PokemonGlobal.runningShoes=true For Running Shoes
$Trainer.pokedex=true For Pokedex

Civil Servant
March 20th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Firstly, thank you very much to you folks who have been answering all our questions. You have no idea how helpful browsing through the pages of this thread has been when I hit a problem with the Kit.

Seccondly, a huge thank you to Poccil for actually taking the time to build the Kit. Words can't express how fantastic it is.

I've been having an issue with the positioning of the Pokemon battle sprites. When a battle against a wild Pokemon starts, the sprites are positioned correctly, but when a Trainer battle starts, the sprites are positioned up and to the left of the ring on the battle background. Like this:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/zamlord/SpriteOddity.jpg

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that I shrunk the image from the original size, but the fact that wild battles work fine while Trainer battles don't put a dampener on that theory.

jinda002
March 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM
err, can anybody help me, I just downloaded the kit and i'm having a problem. every time the battle start and the trainer is about to send his pokemon , the game will got an error with script. any solution?

KitsuneKouta
March 20th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I've been having an issue with the positioning of the Pokemon battle sprites. When a battle against a wild Pokemon starts, the sprites are positioned correctly, but when a Trainer battle starts, the sprites are positioned up and to the left of the ring on the battle background.

Someone had a fix for this a while ago. Go to line 738 of PokeBattle_ActualScene and change @endspritey=factor*2+halfY to @endspritey=factor*0.95+halfY. That should fix it, although I haven't personally tested it yet.

Maruno
March 20th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Firstly, thank you very much to you folks who have been answering all our questions. You have no idea how helpful browsing through the pages of this thread has been when I hit a problem with the Kit.

Seccondly, a huge thank you to Poccil for actually taking the time to build the Kit. Words can't express how fantastic it is.

I've been having an issue with the positioning of the Pokemon battle sprites. When a battle against a wild Pokemon starts, the sprites are positioned correctly, but when a Trainer battle starts, the sprites are positioned up and to the left of the ring on the battle background. Like this:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/zamlord/SpriteOddity.jpg

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that I shrunk the image from the original size, but the fact that wild battles work fine while Trainer battles don't put a dampener on that theory.
Shrinking the image shouldn't matter, I don't think.

I believe the problem is that the positioning of the foe sprites is different depending on whether the battle is a wild or a trainer one. The solution has been posted several times - try searching this thread for the term "metrics" until you find something that looks right.

err, can anybody help me, I just downloaded the kit and i'm having a problem. every time the battle start and the trainer is about to send his pokemon , the game will got an error with script. any solution?
Probably, but it depends entirely on what error you're getting. Since we don't know that, we can't help.

chaostres403
March 20th, 2010, 07:12 AM
My guess is he's having the same error as me. It's on the previous page.

KitsuneKouta
March 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Someone had a fix for this a while ago. Go to line 738 of PokeBattle_ActualScene and change @endspritey=factor*2+halfY to @endspritey=factor*0.95+halfY. That should fix it, although I haven't personally tested it yet.

I just tested it. It does work if you just make that small change, but there's an incredibly slight difference. Without comparing the trainer to wild battle closely, you can't really see the difference. Also, you may be able to make a slight adjustment to the number and get it even closer. Still, the difference is too small to worry about though.

Ustukushii
March 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hello, I'm new to pokemon essentials and I need help.
I downloaded RPG Maker XP and pokemon essentials last night. After I downloaded it I played game mode for a minute to see what it was like; then I went to editing it in RPG Maker XP.
I started out editing the poke center. When I was pleased with my editing I clicked on 'Play Test' and saved changes.
When I was play testing my game my character was invisible (o.o). I thought it was meant to be like that on play test or something.
So, I went to game mode and clicked 'New Game'; and I started out in the poke center (still invisible!)
After that happened I made my start point in test map to see if it was the poke center only making my person invisible.
Guess what... I was still invisible.

Hopefully someone will know what to do. =D

Also...
This shows up when I try to go up the poke centers stairs:

Exception : TypeError
Sprite_Character:93:in `+'
Sprite_Character:93:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTileMap:408:in `shadow_update'
Sprite_Character:33:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'
PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:155:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:147:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:147:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'

What does this mean?
I'm no computer genius...
But that doesn't mean I can't learn!

(Sorry this is so boring!)

Maruno
March 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hello, I'm new to pokemon essentials and I need help.
I downloaded RPG Maker XP and pokemon essentials last night. After I downloaded it I played game mode for a minute to see what it was like; then I went to editing it in RPG Maker XP.
I started out editing the poke center. When I was pleased with my editing I clicked on 'Play Test' and saved changes.
When I was play testing my game my character was invisible (o.o). I thought it was meant to be like that on play test or something.
So, I went to game mode and clicked 'New Game'; and I started out in the poke center (still invisible!)
After that happened I made my start point in test map to see if it was the poke center only making my person invisible.
Guess what... I was still invisible.

Hopefully someone will know what to do. =D

Also...
This shows up when I try to go up the poke centers stairs:

Exception : TypeError
Sprite_Character:93:in `+'
Sprite_Character:93:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTileMap:408:in `shadow_update'
Sprite_Character:33:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'
PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:155:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:147:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:147:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'

What does this mean?
I'm no computer genius...
But that doesn't mean I can't learn!

(Sorry this is so boring!)
One of the things you changed in the game was the intro map (the one where Professor Oak shows up and tells you this is a Pokémon game). Part of this intro is where the player chooses a gender - doing so also sets the player's graphics (without which they are invisible). Put in "pbChangePlayer(0)" to set it to male, and "file:///C:/Users/James/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngpbChangePlayer(1)" for female.

Oh, and always keep the starting position in the intro map, so that the intro works (and sets the player's graphics).

As for your stairs error, I don't know what the problem is because I don't know what the stairs event looks like - I'm sure this is one of the things you edited, but the reason I can't help is that I don't know what that event now does.

aquakip
March 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Uhm...yeah. I'm really too lazy to look through this entire thread for my answer, so I'm gonna come out and just ask it.

How do you edit this thing?

I see a lot of people making their own maps and their own games with this, but I really don't understand how. Can someone please enlighten me on this, because RMXP is really starting to get annoying with the whole scripting thing.

thepsynergist
March 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
@Civil Servant (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=196443)

I really hope you aren't using that Growlithe for the final release. For one, it looks too out of place compared to the other sprite you are using. That's just my opinion though, just trying to make your game look a bit better.

KitsuneKouta
March 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Uhm...yeah. I'm really too lazy to look through this entire thread for my answer, so I'm gonna come out and just ask it.

How do you edit this thing?

I see a lot of people making their own maps and their own games with this, but I really don't understand how. Can someone please enlighten me on this, because RMXP is really starting to get annoying with the whole scripting thing.

It doesn't get any more basic than that. I would suggest looking for RMXP tutorials, since they can probably explain all of the basic features well enough for you to get started. Also, you probably don't need to worry about scripts if you're just starting, since you don't necessarily have to edit them to make a game (they just make it a lot better). Mapping is pretty easy (if you keep it simple), and you'll want to pay attention to events. Events are what you'll use probably more than anything else.

aquakip
March 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
It doesn't get any more basic than that. I would suggest looking for RMXP tutorials, since they can probably explain all of the basic features well enough for you to get started. Also, you probably don't need to worry about scripts if you're just starting, since you don't necessarily have to edit them to make a game (they just make it a lot better). Mapping is pretty easy (if you keep it simple), and you'll want to pay attention to events. Events are what you'll use probably more than anything else.

Well...see...I know all of that already. It's just...Poccil's Starter Kit is so much better apparently, seeing as it has the perspective script and battle system and all that already programed.

Unless there is a way to get all of those scripts off of the starter kit...

KitsuneKouta
March 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Well...see...I know all of that already. It's just...Poccil's Starter Kit is so much better apparently, seeing as it has the perspective script and battle system and all that already programed.

Unless there is a way to get all of those scripts off of the starter kit...

I see, sorry I misunderstood. There's a help file that comes with essentials, and also there's the editor.exe, which allows you to set up trainers, encounters, make new items, etc.
Also, if you're talking about editing the scripts, I can't help you much there (a lot of the scripts reference each other to make everything work, so if you go beyond changing the extras or adding new stuff, things could get really messed up). You should probably take what you have and put it in essentials, instead of moving all of it to your project (though it's not that hard)

Ustukushii
March 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know the script for going up stairs?

Btw, Maruno, thanks for answering my other question! =]

KitsuneKouta
March 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know the script for going up stairs?

Btw, Maruno, thanks for answering my other question! =]

Why use a script, when you can do it with events? Go to the notes for pokemon essentials, and look for side stairs. It tells you exactly how to do it (unless you mean stairs that you walk into up or down rather than side to side, in which case it's basically the same as a door).

Please help me with fly i have travelled to the place i want to fly but it still wont fly nothing happens.
I have changed the healing point in the townmap gen and on the editor.

I looked into your problem, as it was happening to me too. The problem is that it probably wasn't set up right in townmapgen. I had used it, and thought it was right, but wasn't. Make sure that in the healing spot field you put the map id, as well as the x and y coordinates. They all have to be separated by commas, and in that order.

Civil Servant
March 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Thank you, this worked perfectly! Although I had to change the factor*2+halfY to factor*4+halfY to get the positioning correct, but it was exactly what I was looking for!

@Civil Servant (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=196443)

I really hope you aren't using that Growlithe for the final release. For one, it looks too out of place compared to the other sprite you are using. That's just my opinion though, just trying to make your game look a bit better.

I'm hoping to be able to replace all of my graphics with images styled after the anime, but I'm yet to get around to the battlebacks, trainers, battle backgrounds or overworlds yet. Still, early days!

thepsynergist
March 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
That's pretty cool. Good luck with that. My sprite artist is currently upscaleing all of the front and back sprites of all the Pokemon. That way the resolution won't be 64x64 with a 2x zoom in paint, but rather remastered sprites.

Amarantine
March 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hey guys! i have a little problem with the font color in the game i'm making. You know usually the font color in the name of the pokemon in HP Bars is black with a gray shadow, right? Well my problem is that i recolored the HP Bars, and the black isn't clearly visible anymore. I would like to change the font color to white, but i can't seem to figure out how. Any help with that, please? Thanks!

thepsynergist
March 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that the code for white is 00000000. But I could be wrong.

ldida1
March 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I looked into your problem, as it was happening to me too. The problem is that it probably wasn't set up right in townmapgen. I had used it, and thought it was right, but wasn't. Make sure that in the healing spot field you put the map id, as well as the x and y coordinates. They all have to be separated by commas, and in that order.

Thanks!
yeah i hadnt added the map# to it but now it works fine...

Ustukushii
March 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Where do you go to edit the characters you play as?

Amarantine
March 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that the code for white is 00000000. But I could be wrong.

Thanks a lot, in any case i already found a way to fix that little bug. :)

Where do you go to edit the characters you play as?

You say, to edit the sprite and use another?

If so, check on Graphics>Characters.
There you'll find the graphic of the guy and the girl (Trainer000.png and Trainer001.png, respectively). All you need to do is to change the sprite of the character for the sprite you want to appear as the hero, but name it the same (your male character trainer000.png, the female trainer001.png)

At least that's what i do. If it wasn't clear enough you can send me a PM if you please.

Ustukushii
March 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks Amarantine.
But, how do you change the little stubby sprite?

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks Amarantine.
But, how do you change the little stubby sprite?

The overworld sprite should be named Red.png and Crystal.png. They are located in Graphics/Characters.

Cilerba
March 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hi, um how do I make it so that the choice box doesn't show up in the top-left corner of the screen?

SpawnHyuuga
March 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Check the party for a pokémon with level greater than or equal to 30:

for pkmn in $Trainer.party
if pkmn.level>=30
<do whatever you want>
break
end
end
Display text:

action=_INTL("Vine Whip")
text=_INTL("{1} was able to do {2}.",pkmn.name,action)
Kernel.pbMessage(text)
Doesn't take a genius, to be honest.

Eventing is generally easy, grafx easy...scripting...not so easy. With tiny script above, do I need to make something in the Script Editor, or use a conditional branch, or... what? I'm thinking the text thing is either seperate or in a conditional branch. Again, I feel really stupid asking all these questions!

EDIT: For those of you wanting to edit your character's sprites, take a look in the editor.exe

Go to Set Metadeta, and scroll it up to [GLOBAL], here you can edit all of the sprites available to set your characters.

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hi, um how do I make it so that the choice box doesn't show up in the top-left corner of the screen?

On the line right above the text, insert Change Text Options command. You can choose top, middle, bottom, show, and hide. If you're wanting to align it to the right side of the screen, I have yet to figure that out (but it probably has to do with the text format commands, like coloring, line breaks, etc.).

Cilerba
March 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
On the line right above the text, insert Change Text Options command. You can choose top, middle, bottom, show, and hide. If you're wanting to align it to the right side of the screen, I have yet to figure that out (but it probably has to do with the text format commands, like coloring, line breaks, etc.).

Thanks a lot man! This helped me out!

EDIT: Also, is it possible to make a random egg generator? So that an event randomly generates an egg containing any Pokemon, EXCEPT Legendaries, and Evolutions.

adrian12
March 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM
What is the script of the dual system by mp tell me?

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Also, is it possible to make a random egg generator? So that an event randomly generates an egg containing any Pokemon, EXCEPT Legendaries, and Evolutions.

I'm working on it right now. I can do it with events, but it would take like 493 conditional branches as an event, lol. I have the logic for the script, I just need to keep looking for the key words in the scripts. The main problem is that it recognizes the species by name, so I can't use a random number generator to do it. If I could convert the IDs into the corresponding names, it would be easy (It might require assigning a number to every species name, which would be a pain to script).

KingCharizard
March 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
What is the script of the dual system by mp tell me?[/QUOTE]

OMG No matter how many times you ask or how big you make your letters no will give it to you, so quit asking!

[QUOTE]
I'm working on it right now. I can do it with events, but it would take like 493 conditional branches as an event, lol. I have the logic for the script, I just need to keep looking for the key words in the scripts. The main problem is that it recognizes the species by name, so I can't use a random number generator to do it. If I could convert the IDs into the corresponding names, it would be easy (It might require assigning a number to every species name, which would be a pain to script).

Thats not entirely true you can assign people pokemon by using the ID number

pbAddPokemon(003,30)

That should work just fine to add a pokemon by number, not name. Tested it and it works...

You can make a script, that picks a random pokemon ID and gives it to the player. Its actually quite easy even for eggs.

If you wanna add the egg just change pbAddPokemon to kernel.pbGenerateEgg

It works I've tested it. Also here is a screenie of how you can use events to generate a random egg for the player. Of course this example is limited to 4 random eggs, you add more or less but If you want more I suggest you actually write a script.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2370/exampleh.png

Like I said this gives the player 1 random egg out of 4 different choices

Ustukushii
March 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hey, I'm curious... When you finish your pokemon game how do you make it into a rom? =o

KingCharizard
March 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hey, I'm curious... When you finish your pokemon game how do you make it into a rom? =o

You dont! If you want a rom u need an emulator and figure out how to hack!

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM

pbAddPokemon(003,30)

That should work just fine to add a pokemon by number, not name. Tested it and it works...

You can make a script, that picks a random pokemon ID and gives it to the player. Its actually quite easy even for eggs.

It works I've tested it.

Okay, I see what you're saying. So, how can I make the condition (for species) reference a given variable? It's all pretty much done, except getting the value into the proper field.

Ustukushii
March 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
You dont! If you want a rom u need an emulator and figure out how to hack!
Oh... *Sad face*
I have a VBA emulator.
Isn't there some way to make your pokemon essentials game into a rom? D=

KingCharizard
March 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Oh... *Sad face*
I have a VBA emulator.

Yes its called hack a GBA rom and do everything you want to do in essentials in the rom. I'll be honest im no hacker, I dont know much about hacking but I believe the kit gives you more options for creating fan games.

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Oh... *Sad face*
I have a VBA emulator.

No, the coding is entirely different (made on different software), so you have to hack to make a rom (that way it uses the same type of coding, and the gameboy can actually read the data).

@KingCharizard: It generates random numbers just fine now, however I'm having trouble setting the limits. It gets a lot of 0.9, 0.5, etc. I need to know how to keep it at whole numbers within the range.

Cilerba
March 21st, 2010, 02:14 PM
What is the script of the dual system by mp tell me?

OMG No matter how many times you ask or how big you make your letters no will give it to you, so quit asking!

pbAddPokemon(003,30)

It works I've tested it. Also here is a screenie of how you can use events to generate a random egg for the player. Of course this example is limited to 4 random eggs, you add more or less but If you want more I suggest you actually write a script.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2370/exampleh.png

Like I said this gives the player 1 random egg out of 4 different choices

Thanks! But, how do I make it so that, you can only generate an egg that doesn't contain a legendary, or evolved Pokemon.

Oh, and what is the '(###,30)'...What does that mean?

And I kind of meant like, you walk up to a person, pay the person, and he randomly gives you an egg. I know how to do that, but I don't know how to generate the random egg. Do you get what I am saying?

KingCharizard
March 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM
No, the coding is entirely different (made on different software), so you have to hack to make a rom (that way it uses the same type of coding, and the gameboy can actually read the data).

@KingCharizard: It generates random numbers just fine now, however I'm having trouble setting the limits. It gets a lot of 0.9, 0.5, etc. I need to know how to keep it at whole numbers within the range.

What is the formula your using for the random number generator?

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
What is the formula your using for the random number generator?

All right, I fixed it and it works perfectly. There's a small quirk, though. It generates eggs for second and third forms, instead of just the first forms. I don't think there's a good way of checking whether or not the pokemon has a pre-evolution, so I don't think I'll mess with that (besides, it's kind of interesting to get something besides first forms for this kind of thing). Now, I just have to finish the checks for legendaries (by checking every ID, which is kind of long).

Thanks! But, how do I make it so that, you can only generate an egg that doesn't contain a legendary, or evolved Pokemon.

And I kind of meant like, you walk up to a person, pay the person, and he randomly gives you an egg. I know how to do that, but I don't know how to generate the random egg. Do you get what I am saying?

I made it, I just have to work out the kinks. It does randomly generate a pokemon (although I'm having difficulty with the eligibility test), but to make it cost money or something is up to you (it can be done very easily with an event, just use the change gold command)

EDIT: What is the best way to check for equality of multiple values? A case statement is pretty long, but I could do it if necessary.

venom12
March 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
It is not simple to use this? And dont use 003 because that dont work just use 3.

pbGenerateEgg(175,5)
$PokemonGlobal.daycareEgg=0
$PokemonGlobal.daycareEggSteps=0

KitsuneKouta
March 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM
It is not simple to use this? And dont use 003 because that dont work just use 3.

pbGenerateEgg(175,5)

The problem is that he needs it to generate a random egg, not a specifically defined one. The only thing that has to be worked out now is a check for legendary and evolved pokemon.

That aside, does anyone have any ideas for checking the pokemon, probably by ID, to make sure it's not ineligible to be an egg?

KingCharizard
March 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=KingCharizard;5641429]

pbGenerateEgg(175,5)

I'm uploading a video tutorial now, check the tutorials section in like 20 minutes...

Ustukushii
March 21st, 2010, 10:46 PM
When you're finished making a pokemon game; how exactly are you meant to publish it?
How are other people supposed to enjoy your game?

Mrchewy
March 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
When you're finished making a pokemon game; how exactly are you meant to publish it?
How are other people supposed to enjoy your game?

File > Compress Game Data.

It's kind of assumed you have a basic knowledge of RMXP before using the Starter Kit. Of course I hate to sound rude, but I mean you really should at least know the basics before using this thing.

Ziebart23
March 22nd, 2010, 05:26 AM
I have a major problem, and I can't seem to fix it... and if I can't, my fangame will never get finished!
I was changing some of the events for the game when I went to save and that is when it happened... it froze! I tried closing it and opening it in another RMXP but it said "Fail to load script data", what does this mean? And is there any way to fix this?

KitsuneKouta
March 22nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Is there a command in the scripts to check if a pokemon is an evolved form? Or would I have to create a method and define them individually myself?

KingCharizard
March 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Is there a command in the scripts to check if a pokemon is an evolved form? Or would I have to create a method and define them individually myself?

What do you mean, you check for pokemon, either by ID# or by name...

KitsuneKouta
March 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
What do you mean, you check for pokemon, either by ID# or by name...

I know that, I just wanted to know if a method has been written to determine if a pokemon is evolved, like the pbIsBanned? method (which checks for specific pokemon that can't go to the battle tower). If not, I would have to write it.

KingCharizard
March 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
I know that, I just wanted to know if a method has been written to determine if a pokemon is evolved, like the pbIsBanned? method (which checks for specific pokemon that can't go to the battle tower). If not, I would have to write it.

Maybe if I knew why u wanted such a function, I could tell you. Cause their is the battle tower functions...

KitsuneKouta
March 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Maybe if I knew why u wanted such a function, I could tell you. Cause their is the battle tower functions...

It's for improving the random egg generator. It perfectly generates any pokemon from 1-493, but setting the conditions is somewhat difficult. There has to be a check to keep legendaries and evolved forms out of the eggs. I have the legendaries taken care of, so I need a check to see if a pokemon is evolved, to keep it from making it into an egg.

KingCharizard
March 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
It's for improving the random egg generator. It perfectly generates any pokemon from 1-493, but setting the conditions is somewhat difficult. There has to be a check to keep legendaries and evolved forms out of the eggs. I have the legendaries taken care of, so I need a check to see if a pokemon is evolved, to keep it from making it into an egg.

set up a loop that shuffles through each id.

Maruno
March 22nd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Logically there must be a way of checking whether a pokémon is evolved, because breeding a Venusaur gives you a Bulbasaur egg and not a Venusaur egg.

In PokemonDayCare, pbGetBaby finds the basic species of the mother. Now, using this as is with your random number generator would make a Bulbasaur egg 3 times as likely as a Mawile egg (because both the random numbers corresponding to Ivysaur and Venusaur would also result in a Bulbasaur egg).

What you need to do is create a similar lump of code which simply rejects the randomly generated number if it finds there's a prevolution, rather than return it (i.e. put it in a do loop, and break if the code returns false, i.e. there's no prevolution, therefore the randomly chosen number is a basic pokémon). This now means all basic pokémon have the same chance of being generated.

KitsuneKouta
March 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
set up a loop that shuffles through each id.

What I need is after that, it needs to know which ID's are invalid in order to skip them.

lezebulon
March 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hello
I got 2 questions about the starter kit :
1) how are the unknown handled? Is there already something like an unkown dex?
2) If I use direct paths in scripts, like "graphics/pictures/pokegear.png", what will happen once I compress data an export it? Are the files still found in the scripts?

KitsuneKouta
March 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hello
2) If I use direct paths in scripts, like "graphics/pictures/pokegear.png", what will happen once I compress data an export it? Are the files still found in the scripts?

1) I don't know if anyone has attempted an Unown dex, it sounds interesting though. The problem is that Unown share an ID, so you may have to define all of the Unown separately, and have the Unown dex call those pokemon. They would look like Unown in the dex, but they would really be more like imitations. There's probably a better way to do it, but that's what I could think of off hand.

2) I believe it compresses everything (audio, images, etc.) with your game. You have to make sure that you select encrypt when compressing it though to keep people from taking your resources.

Maruno
March 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hello
1) The Unown letter is determined by a calculation using the pokémon's unique personal ID number. This same number determines the gender and nature of a pokémon. When loading the Unown's sprites (front/back sprites, animated icons), there's simply an extra calculation that loads the appropriate graphic. There is no physical difference between any Unown - it's all down to what a certain calculation results in.

So no, there's no pre-made Unown Dex. There's simply an additional calculation to see which letter graphic should be loaded when you're looking at them (same with Spinda and its spots).

To create an Unown Dex, you'd need to create an array of 28 true/false entries, and change this array when you capture a new Unown letter. The Unown Dex would only display the Unown letters that you've captured (i.e. only the ones that are "true" in the array)... Or you may come up with a different kind of Unown Dex, I don't know. The point is that you'd have to make one yourself.

2) Every use of a graphic in the game does this, even for tilesets. Anything that's in the Graphics, Audio, Data and Fonts folders is compressed when the game is. The pictures are still there, it's just that compressing them makes them inaccessible by any other means that playing the game (to prevent easy theft of those files). This includes the Data folder, which contains all the scripts, meaning they cannot be edited once you've compressed the game (so you can't edit the game).

thepsynergist
March 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm surprised that Pokemon Raptor didn't compress the game data. All the scripts and the graphics can be stolen with ease.

lezebulon
March 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for your replies !
Also :
>To create an Unown Dex, you'd need to create an array of 28 true/false entries
Ok... how can I save this array when the player saves? Right now I use switches for that kind of informations, but I think there must be a better way (more script-oriented)

KitsuneKouta
March 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Logically there must be a way of checking whether a pokémon is evolved, because breeding a Venusaur gives you a Bulbasaur egg and not a Venusaur egg.

In PokemonDayCare, pbGetBaby finds the basic species of the mother. Now, using this as is with your random number generator would make a Bulbasaur egg 3 times as likely as a Mawile egg (because both the random numbers corresponding to Ivysaur and Venusaur would also result in a Bulbasaur egg).

What you need to do is create a similar lump of code which simply rejects the randomly generated number if it finds there's a prevolution, rather than return it (i.e. put it in a do loop, and break if the code returns false, i.e. there's no prevolution, therefore the randomly chosen number is a basic pokémon). This now means all basic pokémon have the same chance of being generated.

I see. I looked in PokemonDayCare, and had actually noticed that, but I followed it to PokemonEvolutionHelper, which threw me off. I finished the original version, which works fine, but it's pretty long.

KingCharizard
March 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm surprised that Pokemon Raptor didn't compress the game data. All the scripts and the graphics can be stolen with ease.

Didn't wichu fix that? Besides its not that easy for people to figure out how to do that...

thepsynergist
March 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
People don't know how to create a new project file and copy paste all the game data?

KitsuneKouta
March 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
I'm having a strange error. First I save the game, then sometimes when I load it, it will display the save menu "would you like to save," etc. It's possible that it may be a problem with my menu (it's a common event). The important part is written like this:

Script:pbSaveScreen
Control Switches: [0052: Menu]=OFF
Exit Event Processing

Here's the pbSaveScreen script:
def pbSaveScreen
ret=false
@scene.pbStartScreen
if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Would you like to save the game?"))
if FileTest.exist?(RTP.getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata"))
confirm=""
if $PokemonTemp.begunNewGame
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("WARNING!"))
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("There is a different game file that is already saved."))
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("If you save now, the other file's adventure, including items and Pokémon, will be entirely lost."))
if !Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(
_INTL("Are you sure you want to save now and overwrite the other save file?"))
@scene.pbEndScreen
return false
end
else
if !Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(
_INTL("There is already a saved file. Is it OK to overwrite it?"))
@scene.pbEndScreen
return false
end
end
end
$PokemonTemp.begunNewGame=false
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Saving...\r\nDon't turn off the power.\\wtnp[0]"))
if pbSave
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("\\se[]{1} saved the game.\\se[save]\\wtnp[30]",$Trainer.name))
ret=true
else
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("\\se[]Save failed.\\wtnp[30]"))
ret=false
end
end
@scene.pbEndScreen
return ret
end
Also, something similar happens when using the HM Fly. It shows the pokemon animation for HMs over the menu, never closes it, and the menu is still open when you reach the area you flew to.

EDIT: I finished a simple script to allow different eggs for different pokemon based on their type. In PokemonUtilities, find:

def pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies(pokemon, species, back=false)
if pokemon.egg?
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg"))
end
and replace it with:
if pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:FIRE)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg1"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:WATER)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg2"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:PSYCHIC)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg3"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:NORMAL)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg4"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:GRASS)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg5"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:FLYING)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg6"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:FIGHTING)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg7"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:STEEL)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg8"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:ICE)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg9"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:ROCK)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg10"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:ELECTRIC)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg11"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:BUG)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg12"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:DARK)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg13"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:DRAGON)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg14"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:POISON)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg15"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:GROUND)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg16"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokmeon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:GHOST)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg17"))
end
This finds the appropriate egg based on type1. So, if you want to support dual-types with this, you will have to make some small modifications (I didn't bother with it since there's a very large number of combinations, and most people try new matchups with fakemon anyways). Note: You must have images named egg1, egg2, egg3, etc., up to egg17, in the Graphics/Pictures directory. It has been tested, and it works.

Valora17
March 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
What do I have to edit in order to make the default screen size 240x160? The 480x320 is irritating when I'm playtesting to see if the graphics work how they should.

EDIT: Also, how do I change the default player overworld? I tried and now it has a purple box around it >>;

KitsuneKouta
March 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
What do I have to edit in order to make the default screen size 240x160? The 480x320 is irritating when I'm playtesting to see if the graphics work how they should.

EDIT: Also, how do I change the default player overworld? I tried and now it has a purple box around it >>;

Open the options menu on the loading screen, before you choose load game. There should be a screen size option that you can change. Also, the purple box means that you didn't use the Import Resources command (in between the Script Editor icon and the Database icon). When you import a graphic that way, you simply click the background before choosing OK, and it sets that color to transparent.

Cilerba
March 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I have a huge error. When I open up Pokemon Olivine Version, it shows an error message saying:

"Unexpected File Format"

Any advice on what to do?

Peeky Chew
March 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
How would I go about changing the default font to a different colour? Thanks.

KitsuneKouta
March 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
How would I go about changing the default font to a different colour? Thanks.

I don't know about the default, but when you input text using the Show Text command, you can specify the color you want (search the notes, it explains it). If you're wanting the color to apply to every message in the game, then of course this would be an awful lot of work. It's most likely in SpriteWindow, as I just tried and managed to changed the menu text colors. You'll have to toy around to find what numbers are what color, and I don't think there's a universal text that applies to everything, so you should search for the word "color" in SpriteWindow, and see what you can find. Different places affect different areas of text in the game, so try different things until you find the one you're looking for. (also, I recommend copy and pasting the codes that determine the colors, so that you don't forget what the original color was if you make a mistake).

Maruno
March 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I don't know about the default, but when you input text using the Show Text command, you can specify the color you want (search the notes, it explains it). If you're wanting the color to apply to every message in the game, then of course this would be an awful lot of work. It's most likely in SpriteWindow, as I just tried and managed to changed the menu text colors. You'll have to toy around to find what numbers are what color, and I don't think there's a universal text that applies to everything, so you should search for the word "color" in SpriteWindow, and see what you can find. Different places affect different areas of text in the game, so try different things until you find the one you're looking for. (also, I recommend copy and pasting the codes that determine the colors, so that you don't forget what the original color was if you make a mistake).
There isn't. Every individual screen (Party/Pokédex/Bag/etc. etc.) defines its own text colours (very inefficient). Unless you want to change every single bit of text in the game to a different colour, then it might just be better to set (dialogue) message colours as they come up. You'd have to do a lot of browsing to figure out what one colour change does to the entire game.

SpawnHyuuga
March 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Pokemon Essentials RMXP Starter Kit Bugs:
Build: 3/6/2010 [Let me update and see if this has already been fixed]

Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `mapid' for #<Scene_Debug:0x4fab600>
PokemonDebug:977:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonDebug:924:in `loop'
PokemonDebug:1136:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonDebug:1260:in `main'
Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:16:in `mainFunction'
Main:16:in `pbCriticalCode'
Main:16:in `mainFunction'
Main:49
Main:48:in `loop'Graphics Bug:
Problem: Sand autotile appears as a black stripe.
Picture: See Attachment
EDIT: Hope it's not an ID10T error(s).

thepsynergist
March 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I have a huge error. When I open up Pokemon Olivine Version, it shows an error message saying:

"Unexpected File Format"

Any advice on what to do?

Open up RPG Maker and create a new project. Copy Paste all of your game data except game.rxproj into your new project folder. Say yes to all the conformation boxes. Enjoy your game back.

chaostres403
March 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm still getting this error when I run I wild battle the March 15 version:

Pokemon Essentials

OK

KitsuneKouta
March 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Pokemon Essentials RMXP Starter Kit Bugs:
Build: 3/6/2010 [Let me update and see if this has already been fixed]

I'm not sure what causes it, as it was happening to me too. However, it randomly stopped doing it recently. I think it has something to do with how autotiles are supported. I found that a regular 96x128 autotile sometimes appears black (it doesn't load the image or something), but a double wide autotile, where the exact same image is placed twice in a row works perfectly. However, as I said, it's stopped happening, and now regular autotiles work fine for me, so perhaps it has to do with the compiler or something.

Pokemonforeva
March 24th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I am very new so I hope you guys can help me
When ever I have a battle with a trainer I get this error:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)
PokemonTrainers:411:in `pbTrainerBattle'
PokemonTrainers:410:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonTrainers:412:in `pbTrainerBattle'
PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:785:in `command_111'
Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Whenever I battle A Wild Pokemon I get this error:
Message: Section069:711:in `pbStartBattleCore'Player trainer must be only one person in single battles

Also is there a way to have more than eight badges and to raise maximum level of Pokemon?
Well Im new so I don't know the answers to all my questions.

Also does anyone Know how you put the codes in the wrap so I don't get Aipom everytime I post a code?!?

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I am very new so I hope you guys can help me
When ever I have a battle with a trainer I get this error:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)
I just messed around and found that exact error. It seems you are using a dependent event, and then trying to battle a single trainer. I don't know how to fix it, but the dependent event is most likely the problem. Deregister your partner and see if you can battle.

Whenever I battle A Wild Pokemon I get this error:I don't know about this one, as it worked just fine with a dependent event (I did the testing using an unmodified starter kit). Did you change the intro? Make sure the trainer is defined (there should be a pbChangePlayer() command in the intro. If it doesn't have that, then a many things won't work.

Also is there a way to have more than eight badges and to raise maximum level of Pokemon?
Well Im new so I don't know the answers to all my questions.Go to PBExperience in the scripts and find MAXLEVEL=100, then modify 100 to whatever you want (you will likely have to edit your summary menu somewhat if you make the level too high, as anything higher than 3 digits (stats wise) runs off. As for more badges, I think you modify the array in PokeBattle_Trainer. Go to line 136 and change the for i in 0..7 (0 is counted, so it makes 8 badges), to something like i in 0..15 (for 16 badges). I tried it, and it didn't give any errors. Also, you'll need to add graphics for the badges and determine their placement on the trainer card (otherwise you won't see them, but it should be a fairly small edit to the scripts).

Also does anyone Know how you put the codes in the wrap so I don't get Aipom everytime I post a code?!?I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's about the Aipom in you post? If you're posting a code, but the word CODE in brackets the exact same way you do with QUOTE.
i.e. (CODE)Insert random text.(/CODE), but make the brackets square, not round.

lezebulon
March 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Is it normal that my game lags a bit? My computer is pretty recent... does it lag a bit for you too? How to correct that?

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Is it normal that my game lags a bit? My computer is pretty recent... does it lag a bit for you too? How to correct that?
If you have a large number of events all in the same area, you'll probably get some lag. It shouldn't lag during regular play though (however, I've noticed that sometimes a map will take much longer than normal to load for no apparent reason, and then be fine later).

Luka S.J.
March 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I finished a simple script to allow different eggs for different pokemon based on their type. In PokemonUtilities, find:

if pokemon.egg?
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg"))
end
and replace it with:
if pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:FIRE)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg1"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:WATER)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg2"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:PSYCHIC)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg3"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:NORMAL)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg4"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:GRASS)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg5"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:FLYING)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg6"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:FIGHTING)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg7"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:STEEL)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg8"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:ICE)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg9"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:ROCK)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg10"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:ELECTRIC)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg11"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:BUG)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg12"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:DARK)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg13"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:DRAGON)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg14"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:POISON)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg15"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokemon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:GROUND)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg16"))
elsif pokemon.egg? && pokmeon.type1 == getConst(PBTypes,:GHOST)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg17"))
end
This finds the appropriate egg based on type1. So, if you want to support dual-types with this, you will have to make some small modifications (I didn't bother with it since there's a very large number of combinations, and most people try new matchups with fakemon anyways). Note: You must have images named egg1, egg2, egg3, etc., up to egg17, in the Graphics/Pictures directory. It has been tested, and it works.

You could do that long branch of elsifs, but why bother when you can just set it to
if pokemon.egg?
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg%02d",pokemon.type1))
end
and just name your images accordingly (the same way you did with your own method), just note that numbers from 0 to 9 should have a 0 in front of them , so flying would be "egg06.png"

lezebulon
March 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
If you have a large number of events all in the same area, you'll probably get some lag. It shouldn't lag during regular play though (however, I've noticed that sometimes a map will take much longer than normal to load for no apparent reason, and then be fine later).
That large number being?
I dont think I have more than 15 or so

thepsynergist
March 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Is there a way for my game to save what music is currently playing when I log back into my game save? I want the game to remember the song thats playing when I save my game. I think its a marshal load/dump function, but I don't know much about scripting, can someone help me?

Cilerba
March 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Open up RPG Maker and create a new project. Copy Paste all of your game data except game.rxproj into your new project folder. Say yes to all the conformation boxes. Enjoy your game back.

I pasted everything except the "Game.rxproj" and when I opened it up, I got an error message saying:

"Failed to load Class Data"

thepsynergist
March 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I pasted everything except the "Game.rxproj" and when I opened it up, I got an error message saying:

"Failed to load Class Data"

Try copying only your game folders, Audio, Graphics, Scripts, PBS, and Data, and copy paste those into a new project.

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 06:27 PM
You could do that long branch of elsifs, but why bother when you can just set it to
if pokemon.egg?
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg%02d",pokemon.type1))
endand just name your images accordingly (the same way you did with your own method), just note that numbers from 0 to 9 should have a 0 in front of them , so flying would be "egg06.png"

I didn't know how the %02d thing worked, so I decided not to try it, and also it was something that I randomly thought of, so I just put it in there. Thanks for simplifying it though.

@lezebulon: On an older project I was doing for fun a while back, I remade Rustboro and made all of the lamps on the screen have the light effect, and even though there was probably only six or eight on the screen at a time, the game lagged horribly, and no other map did. It may just be the light effect specifically, or more likely it is because several events are actually running at the same time (the light effect works at the same time as other processes, so having a lot of them means that there are a lot of events being processed at the same time).

Etheor
March 24th, 2010, 06:37 PM
How do I change the font used ingame?

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM
How do I change the font used ingame?

If you go to the options menu, you can choose between 4 font styles (the fonts come with the kit, and if they don't install like they are supposed to, the go to START > Control Panel > Fonts, and copy the files there. I had some issues with some of the fonts not working though, especially in battle. If that happens, you can look in the scripts and anywhere that it says "Arial", change it to the desired font name.

VEGET@
March 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Please help me.
I run the game and all is black, and the window is more big than the normal.

Soul.//Silver
March 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
For some reason, whenever I try transferring the player to this one map (and it only happens when transferring to this particular map) I get the follow.
Pokemon Dawn

Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

OK

Now I can see absolutely nothing wrong with the map, and I don't see how it could be the Event because it's exactly the same as the other Transfer Player Events which work perfectly.

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
For some reason, whenever I try transferring the player to this one map (and it only happens when transferring to this particular map) I get the follow.

Now I can see absolutely nothing wrong with the map, and I don't see how it could be the Event because it's exactly the same as the other Transfer Player Events which work perfectly.

I'm not entirely sure, but it is likely that it is caused by an event on the map you're transferring to. It may be set to autorun, possibly by a switch, and it would probably have something to do with the "unlock" mentioned in the error. I can't say for sure, since it likely has something to do with a script you made.

Soul.//Silver
March 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but it is likely that it is caused by an event on the map you're transferring to. It may be set to autorun, possibly by a switch, and it would probably have something to do with the "unlock" mentioned in the error. I can't say for sure, since it likely has something to do with a script you made.

FIXED: Something was wrong with the Connections data. So I just deleted everything in connections.txt and it fixed the problem. Dunno what happened there, don't think it likes Transfer Player Events that transfer the player to another map on the same Visual Editor field (if that makes sense...)
(Pretend Visual Editor)
MAP C
|
MAP A -- MAP B

Transfer player from MAP A to MAP B using a Transfer Player event command "RMXP: OMG, I WON'T ALLOW YOU TO DO IT *THROWS AN ERROR IN YOUR FACE*"

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
FIXED: Something was wrong with the Connections data. So I just deleted everything in connections.txt and it fixed the problem. Dunno what happened there, don't think it likes Transfer Player Events that transfer the player to another map on the same Visual Editor field (if that makes sense...)
(Pretend Visual Editor)
MAP C
|
MAP A -- MAP B

Transfer player from MAP A to MAP B using a Transfer Player event command "RMXP: OMG, I WON'T ALLOW YOU TO DO IT *THROWS AN ERROR IN YOUR FACE*"

I see, I'm glad you fixed it (I'll have to keep that in mind when I work with connections).

Mrchewy
March 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Lmao, glad you figured out your problem Silver. I would have asked why such a transition was even necessary, but nevermind xD.

I had a quick question, which has bothered me for some time. I know how to change the text speed settings at will (i.e. slow, medium and fast) but I was wondering if I could increase the overall rate at which letters were drawn. In other words, how can I speed up all text speed options a little? I played around with pbSetSystemTextSpeed, but not luck.

thepsynergist
March 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
@MrChewy

I'm pretty sure thats in the message system section of notes.html.

ldida1
March 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I need help with the regional pokedex stuff...
I found a post with how to set up the regional pokedex but i dont get it...
In pokemon.txt i have inserted RegionalNumbers= and what number in the pokedex i want the pokemon to be but when i put in: return 1 if $game_switches[100] instead of pbGetPokedexRegion in PokemonPokedex script it comes up with: Script 'PokemonPokedex' line 242: SyntaxError occured.

KingCharizard
March 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Anyone know which exact values control the day night tint? I found the values and toyed with a few but nothing changed, wondering if anyone knows which exact value to edit to change the night time tint.

Mrchewy
March 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
@MrChewy

I'm pretty sure thats in the message system section of notes.html.

It's not, since I believe this is hard-coded into the system. Just to clarify: I want to increase the rate at which text is drawn. By default, "Fast" is still rather slow.

Anyone know which exact values control the day night tint? I found the values and toyed with a few but nothing changed, wondering if anyone knows which exact value to edit to change the night time tint.

The exact values can be modified at the very top of PokemonUtilities.

Also, I've just had a mental blank. Where does one change the default message text color? I've been editing this for days, but it's completely slipped my mind.

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Also, I've just had a mental blank. Where does one change the default message text color? I've been editing this for days, but it's completely slipped my mind.
It would be difficult to do. We just discussed it on the last page, the text for every menu, etc., is all defined in different places, not one universal place. You would have to find every instance that the text is specified and change it. If it's just message colors, then you can use the special commands described in the notes (although it would take a lot of work to color every message in a game that way).

KingCharizard
March 24th, 2010, 10:09 PM
It's not, since I believe this is hard-coded into the system. Just to clarify: I want to increase the rate at which text is drawn. By default, "Fast" is still rather slow.

The exact values can be modified at the very top of PokemonUtilities.

I know where its at I need to know which value's to change, I just tried changing a few more, and nothing... I wanna do this before I goto bed and the sun comes up..

I think you change the default text color either in pokemon Options are pokemon messages scripts but I really think it's in the messages script, but i know pokemon options does have text options....

@kitsune, I think I saw the global text object in the pokemon messages script. So I dont think your info is correct but I'm not too sure you could be right and i'm wrong

KitsuneKouta
March 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I know where its at I need to know which value's to change, I just tried changing a few more, and nothing... I wanna do this before I goto bed and the sun comes up..

I think you change the default text color either in pokemon Options are pokemon messages scripts but I really think it's in the messages script, but i know pokemon options does have text options....

@kitsune, I think I saw the global text object in the pokemon messages script. So I dont think your info is correct but I'm not too sure you could be right and i'm wrong

It's possible that a global text object was defined, but I do know however that not every instance of text references it. I went to SpriteWindow and modified the specified color there, and it only changed some of the system text (like the load screen and menu), but did not change things like NPC messages, the summary menu, etc. The game has multiple areas that define the text (ie., both SpriteWindow and PokemonMessages for starters).

AndreasDenAndre
March 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
This is probably a standard question, but how do i change the default screen size/rezolution? So that you don't have to change it in options.

Sorry for silly writing, but i'm not perfect. Pikachu is.

Greetings, Andreas.

Pokemonforeva
March 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I just messed around and found that exact error. It seems you are using a dependent event, and then trying to battle a single trainer. I don't know how to fix it, but the dependent event is most likely the problem. Deregister your partner and see if you can battle.

I don't know about this one, as it worked just fine with a dependent event (I did the testing using an unmodified starter kit). Did you change the intro? Make sure the trainer is defined (there should be a pbChangePlayer() command in the intro. If it doesn't have that, then a many things won't work.

Ok Im no't sure what you ment by Deregister your partner and PbChangePlayer() was there so Im no't sure how to fix it at all thank you for answering my other questions so it would be awesome if you or someone could still answer these

KitsuneKouta
March 25th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ok Im no't sure what you ment by Deregister your partner and PbChangePlayer() was there so Im no't sure how to fix it at all thank you for answering my other questions so it would be awesome if you or someone could still answer these
Are you by any chance using a dependent event you made yourself? I found that when I made the simple pbRegisterPartner event, I got an error, but the one with Essentials worked fine. Also, don't fight a single trainer if you are using a dependent event, you should talk to the dependent event and select yes when prompted to deregister. Make sure the dependent event follows the template of the Brawly one in Essentials. I'm not positive about your other error, since I couldn't replicate it. Did you modify anything in the editor about the player character? If you have the pbChangePlayer, then the player should be defined, unless you changed something in the editor that makes it incompatible. If all else fails, re-download essentials and drop what you have so far into it (it's easy, you can go to the Data folder and copy the Maps (numbered Map001, etc.), MapInfos, and Import any images you may be using).

Maruno
March 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I need help with the regional pokedex stuff...
I found a post with how to set up the regional pokedex but i dont get it...
In pokemon.txt i have inserted RegionalNumbers= and what number in the pokedex i want the pokemon to be but when i put in: return 1 if $game_switches[100] instead of pbGetPokedexRegion in PokemonPokedex script it comes up with: Script 'PokemonPokedex' line 242: SyntaxError occured.

If that's all you've done to that script, the problem is that nothing is returned if switch 100 is false. Put another line underneath that one that simply says "return 0".

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Anyone know which exact values control the day night tint? I found the values and toyed with a few but nothing changed, wondering if anyone knows which exact value to edit to change the night time tint. I know where its at, just need to know the exact values to edit.

Still wondering if anyone can help with this. Its not that important but I'd like to actually change the tint if I can.

KitsuneKouta
March 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Still wondering if anyone can help with this. Its not that important but I'd like to actually change the tint if I can.
In PokemonUtilities is module PBDayNight. Under it is an array with several values, with the array being named shades. Modifying the values in the array should change the shades. There are four individual sections, so they probably correspond to the times of day. I haven't tried it, but that's likely what you're looking for.

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
In PokemonUtilities is module PBDayNight. Under it is an array with several values, with the array being named shades. Modifying the values in the array should change the shades. There are four individual sections, so they probably correspond to the times of day. I haven't tried it, but that's likely what you're looking for.

Again I know this, nevermind i'll figure it out eventually...

KitsuneKouta
March 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Again I know this, nevermind i'll figure it out eventually...

I just tried it and it worked. I set all values to 255 and got a completely white screen, and all values to 100 was a partially white screen. Since you know where the module is, you should be able to play with the values to get what you're looking for, just note that only one section is used per time of day (I made sure by setting only one section to all 100s, and the other three to 255s, until I found that one that had an effect).

Nickalooose
March 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
i want an in game trade... for example!
Bob's Pikachu
THUNDERSHOCK
THUNDERBOLT
THUNDER
SURF
for
Your Raichu!
THUNDERSHOCK
THUNDERBOLT
THUNDERWAVE
THUNDER
but the point of the trade is, that when you receive the Pokémon, in this case Pikachu, it has a different move that it can neither learn, or be gained as a TM/HM, i can get the, AutoLearnMove(p,BLIZZARD), when getting given a Pokémon, to work, but everything i try for a trade doesnt work... any ideas on what i can do to make Pikachu, or any other Pokémon, "know" specified movesets?

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Maybe you can set up a custom pikachu, like you would if you were adding a fakemon. Then give it the assigned moves, like if its lv 5 and you want it to learn those moves, make it learn surf at lv 3 and thundershock at lv 1, thunderbold at lv 1, and thunder at lv 4...then when you trade for the pikachu it will have the four moves you require and your other pikachu's wont be affected by this move set...

Nickalooose
March 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
i thought about doing that... but wouldnt it mess up the Pokédex?

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 11:39 AM
i thought about doing that... but wouldnt it mess up the Pokédex?

Dont give the pikachu DEX data, I think you can do that. Or just make it refrence the original dex data for pikachu. I'm working on something else so I'm not thinking bout your problem with top priority so sorry if my advice is a bit useless...

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Question about the visual editor:

How do you use it? I tried putting my Starting Town and Route 1 together and it ended up just overlapping the two. I'm so confused >_<

thepsynergist
March 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Think of it like a jigsaw puzzle, you can't say the puzzle is done if you shove a piece in the wrong spot, or if you just lay pieces over the board. You have to make them fit right.

Nickalooose
March 25th, 2010, 12:51 PM
thanks anyway... new thing... probably a stupid question, but... do i have to give a Pokémon a nickname to trade?
i realise i could just nickname the Pokémon its actual name, but it would seem stupid for Raichu to be called Pikachu when it evolves... i've tried leaving it blank between the " " and deleting them... method one gives the Pokémon no name at all and method 2 gives an error!

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Think of it like a jigsaw puzzle, you can't say the puzzle is done if you shove a piece in the wrong spot, or if you just lay pieces over the board. You have to make them fit right.

That doesn't really answer my question since they still overlap one another when in game.exe could you explain it differently, or show a pic. or something? >>

chaostres403
March 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Are you by any chance using a dependent event you made yourself? I found that when I made the simple pbRegisterPartner event, I got an error, but the one with Essentials worked fine. Also, don't fight a single trainer if you are using a dependent event, you should talk to the dependent event and select yes when prompted to deregister. Make sure the dependent event follows the template of the Brawly one in Essentials. I'm not positive about your other error, since I couldn't replicate it. Did you modify anything in the editor about the player character? If you have the pbChangePlayer, then the player should be defined, unless you changed something in the editor that makes it incompatible. If all else fails, re-download essentials and drop what you have so far into it (it's easy, you can go to the Data folder and copy the Maps (numbered Map001, etc.), MapInfos, and Import any images you may be using).

I'm pretty sure that they haven't modified it at all but are using the 3/15 release which seems to have that error, because I get it too without editing it.

That doesn't really answer my question since they still overlap one another when in game.exe could you explain it differently, or show a pic. or something? >>

The edges have to be touching in the visual editor. You have to be able to see the borders.

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I've tried to fit them that way but when in game.exe they just overlap, plus I have to get to the edge of the screen in order to move to the next map for some reason.

EDIT: I lied >> I realized I had snap edges on.

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
thanks anyway... new thing... probably a stupid question, but... do i have to give a Pokémon a nickname to trade?
i realise i could just nickname the Pokémon its actual name, but it would seem stupid for Raichu to be called Pikachu when it evolves... i've tried leaving it blank between the " " and deleting them... method one gives the Pokémon no name at all and method 2 gives an error!

I did you try evolving pikachu and seeing if his name was the same when he is a raichu?

chaostres403
March 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I'm deciding to use an older version of essentials untill the bug gets solved...how would I go about changing the controls? Like say, Enter opens the menu, C is the same, X runs and cancels, and Z acts as F5?

Nickalooose
March 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I did you try evolving pikachu and seeing if his name was the same when he is a raichu?

yep it was still called Pikachu :S

and now a new problem, i made a new Pokédex entry with Pikachu, and tested it against a Pikachu that is not made by me, but both Pikachu have the same moveset! So i can only assume it is reading my Pikachu not the original!

just to let you no, i changed my Pikachu's internalname to PIKACHU2, so when it is called in-game, the game should read it as a different Pokémon...

but, it doesn't!

Maruno
March 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
i want an in game trade... for example!
Bob's Pikachu
THUNDERSHOCK
THUNDERBOLT
THUNDER
SURF
for
Your Raichu!
THUNDERSHOCK
THUNDERBOLT
THUNDERWAVE
THUNDER
but the point of the trade is, that when you receive the Pokémon, in this case Pikachu, it has a different move that it can neither learn, or be gained as a TM/HM, i can get the, AutoLearnMove(p,BLIZZARD), when getting given a Pokémon, to work, but everything i try for a trade doesnt work... any ideas on what i can do to make Pikachu, or any other Pokémon, "know" specified movesets?
I'm not exactly sure how trading works. Does the received Pokémon take up the same spot in the party the old Pokémon had, or does the rest of the party get bumped up one and the received Pokémon goes on the end?

As part of the event that does the trade, you need to select a Pokémon from your party. This Pokémon's party index number is temporarily stored in a variable, which is then looked at to see if it's the right species(/gender/nature/etc. - you can do that, by the way). It's not much of a stretch to say that, once the trade is complete, you can edit the received Pokémon's moveset in exactly the same way as you would a Pokémon you're just given (i.e. not traded for).

If the received Pokémon goes into the same spot the old Pokémon was in, just use the index number in that variable. If it gets stuck at the end of the party, just use "$trainer.party.length-1".

Rather than use pbAutoLearnMove or whatever it is (which might overwrite the wrong move), you can use something like "$Trainer.party.moves[0]=PBMoves::THUNDER" to make its first move Thunder (i is either that "length-1" thing mentioned above or "$game_variables[X]", depending on how trades work). Just put it in the event immediately after the trade finishes.

i realise i could just nickname the Pokémon its actual name, but it would seem stupid for Raichu to be called Pikachu when it evolves... i've tried leaving it blank between the [I]" " and deleting them... method one gives the Pokémon no name at all and method 2 gives an error!
As I recall, if the nickname is blank then the Pokémon doesn't have a nickname and therefore uses its species name. Rather than deleting the "", just don't put anything between them, e.g. pbStartTrade(pbGet(1),PBSpecies::HAUNTER,"","DAVE"). The OT is Dave, but there's no nickname there.

I'm deciding to use an older version of essentials untill the bug gets solved...how would I go about changing the controls? Like say, Enter opens the menu, C is the same, X runs and cancels, and Z acts as F5?
PokemonEntry, def self.buttonToKey. It's not as difficult as it looks, because all the keys you want are already labelled - you just need to move the codes around a bit.

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know how to add a pokemon into the game? Like a Fakemon. I already added one (one of my starters) before, but I can't remember HOW I did it since I was just messing around with the PBS files >>;

Can anyone explain how to do it please?

Also, is it possible to add in new abilities? I remember reading SOMEWHERE that it wasn't supported but I can't remember where/if its true.

thepsynergist
March 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM

What i meant by that is that you can't have maps overlapping. It only works when they are touching.

Nickalooose
March 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure how trading works. Does the received Pokémon take up the same spot in the party the old Pokémon had, or does the rest of the party get bumped up one and the received Pokémon goes on the end?

it replaces the old Pokémon!

As part of the event that does the trade, you need to select a Pokémon from your party. This Pokémon's party index number is temporarily stored in a variable, which is then looked at to see if it's the right species(/gender/nature/etc. - you can do that, by the way). It's not much of a stretch to say that, once the trade is complete, you can edit the received Pokémon's moveset in exactly the same way as you would a Pokémon you're just given (i.e. not traded for).

when i talk to the person, they ask for Raichu!
a choose screen comes up!
only Raichu has ABLE, below its name! This is right!
When the trade completes...
All Pikachu have the same moveset, that i want for just one of the Pikachu... if i do it kingcharizard's way.
i come up with errors, attempting what you explained, Maruno...

If the received Pokémon goes into the same spot the old Pokémon was in, just use the index number in that variable. If it gets stuck at the end of the party, just use "$trainer.party.length-1".

it does replace the old Pokémon, but, not sure wat u mean or how i would do this!

Rather than use pbAutoLearnMove or whatever it is (which might overwrite the wrong move), you can use something like "$Trainer.party[i].moves[0]=PBMoves::THUNDER" to make its first move Thunder (i is either that "length-1" thing mentioned above or "$game_variables[X]", depending on how trades work). Just put it in the event immediately after the trade finishes.

party causes this error!
`pbExecuteScript'undefined method `party' for nil:NilClass

As I recall, if the nickname is blank then the Pokémon doesn't have a nickname and therefore uses its species name. Rather than deleting the "", just don't put anything between them, e.g. pbStartTrade(pbGet(1),PBSpecies::HAUNTER,"","DAVE"). The OT is Dave, but there's no nickname there.

i leave the quotations blank, trade completes, but if i press, pause, then Pokémon, that traded Pokémon has no name, all the others do...

BlackyM
March 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Can anyone help me with these 3 errors

All three are Pokedex errors I think...here are screens

Error 1:
It happened after I got pokedex, and just wanted to see how it works

Message: undefined method 'rect' for #<AnimatedBitamp:0x52e40e8>
PokemonPokedex:568:in 'pbChangeToDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:603:in 'pbDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:830:in 'pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:810:in 'loop'
PokemonPokedex:849:in 'pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:874:in 'pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:145:in 'pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:142:in 'pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:142:in 'pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:139:in 'loop'

Error 2:
After I caught first pokemon

BGM File not found, game will continue playing.
File : ../ME/PkmRS-Caught.mid

Error 3:
Also after I caught first pokemon, game continued after error 2, to this one 2 clicks away

Message: undefined method `rect' for #<AnimatedBitmap:0x54e6e58>
PokemonPokedex:568:in `pbChangeToDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:588:in `pbStartDexEntryScene'
PokemonPokedex:867:in `pbDexEntry'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:2328:in `pbShowPokedex'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:2325:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:2325:in `pbShowPokedex'
PokeBattle_Battle:163:in `pbThrowPokeBall'
PokeBattle_Battle:1640:in `pbRegisterItem'
PokeBattle_Battle:2440:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:2399:in `loop'

Also...game continues after 2nd and 3rd error, and in pokedex I see that I own 3 pokemons, but I have only 2 in party (starting ones), 3rd is missing

Also when I want to surf again after those erros, or when I want to get to land again...game frozes

However, once I caught pokemon and there was only error 2, but everything else was fine

Tnx in advance

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM

All Pikachu have the same moveset, that i want for just one of the Pikachu... if i do it kingcharizard's way.

it does replace the old Pokémon, but, not sure wat u mean or how i would do this!

party causes this error!

i leave the quotations blank, trade completes, but if i press, pause, then Pokémon, that traded Pokémon has no name, all the others do...

here is an idea, try to call the name rater function or use a name rater...

Maruno
March 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know how to add a pokemon into the game? Like a Fakemon. I already added one (one of my starters) before, but I can't remember HOW I did it since I was just messing around with the PBS files >>;

Can anyone explain how to do it please?

Also, is it possible to add in new abilities? I remember reading SOMEWHERE that it wasn't supported but I can't remember where/if its true.
In the PBS file pokemon.txt, simply copy-paste the info for one of the Pokémon and edit it. Most of the fields should be obvious, but here (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#pbspokemontxt) is an explanation of them if you need it.

Then make sure you've got the proper sprites. In Graphics/Icons, put the two frame icon (used for the party screen and PC storage) in there, and in Graphics/Battlers, put the front and back sprites in there (along with shiny versions).

That's it!

party causes this error!

Cut down on the exclamation marks, please!

The position the traded/obtained Pokémon is in is stored in $game_variables[1]. You use pbGet(1) to recall this number, and thus operate on the received Pokémon.

To teach it a move, use $Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].moves[1]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::VINEWHIP). This will change the second known move (remember that the known move list is zero-based) to whatever you want - you can set any of the other moves in the same way. You'll probably want to use this 4 times in order to be sure you're giving it the right moveset. I'm not using pbAutoLearnMove because it's being an arse for no reason and I can't be bothered figuring it out.

You shouldn't get that error if you do things properly (such as remembering to capitalise "Trainer" in the code).

As for the nicknames, you can get around that by giving the received Pokémon its species name as a nickname (this solves a trade-evolution problem), and then after the trade has completed put this line into the event (at the same place you put the move-changing code):

$Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].name=PBSpecies.getName($Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].species)

This sets the nickname of the Pokémon to be the same as the species. This works even if the received Pokémon is later evolved separately (e.g. using a Thunderstone on Pikachu). This is a horrible fix because the game is coded to give every traded Pokémon a nickname (even if it's blank), and you want to change that.

That solves all your problems. I'm not explaining myself even more clearly, because it's late.

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks Maruno :) But, if you don't have the sprites in the Graphics/Battler section, will it effect it at all? Like, if I try to put my starters in the appropriate places ([494] [497] and [500]) will I have to have their evo sprites in there in order for them to appear?

EDIT: Also, about abilities?

Maruno
March 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks Maruno :) But, if you don't have the sprites in the Graphics/Battler section, will it effect it at all? Like, if I try to put my starters in the appropriate places ([494] [497] and [500]) will I have to have their evo sprites in there in order for them to appear?
I'm not sure - gaps might muck up the Pokédex, but I'm not sure about anything else (gaps are allowed in the item numbering, at least). But even if you can't, just put placeholder information/sprites in the gaps until you have the real stuff.

EDIT: Ah yes, abilities. I forgot to mention them. There's no easy way to add in a new ability, because pretty much every ability is completely different. If you can find an existing ability that's at least similar to one you want to add, search for it in the scripts, see how it works and mimic it. In general, though, adding (or even editing) abilities requires advanced scripting knowledge.

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Alright, I'll have to figure out how to do the abilities since they're (honestly) just edits of existing ones (such as the starter abilities, and fire/grass versions of Volt Absorb).

Anywho, I added in the fakemon (as you said) and tried to run the Playtest and got this :/

Message: Undefined value level (expected one of: ["Unknown", "Happiness", "HappinessDay", "HappinessNight", "Level", "Trade", "TradeItem", "Item", "AttackGreater", "AtkDefEqual", "DefenseGreater", "Silcoon", "Cascoon", "Ninjask", "Shedinja", "Beauty", "ItemMale", "ItemFemale", "DayHoldItem", "NightHoldItem", "HasMove", "HasInParty", "LevelMale", "LevelFemale", "Special1", "Special2", "Special3", "Custom1", "Custom2", "Custom3", "Custom4", "Custom5", "Custom6", "Custom7"])
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 494, key Evolutions
SAUSIER,level,16

Compiler:1514:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:1530:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:2126:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2111:in `each'
Compiler:2111:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2109:in `loop'
Compiler:2188:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2093:in `each'
Compiler:2093:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2092:in `each'
Message: Undefined value level (expected one of: ["Unknown", "Happiness", "HappinessDay", "HappinessNight", "Level", "Trade", "TradeItem", "Item", "AttackGreater", "AtkDefEqual", "DefenseGreater", "Silcoon", "Cascoon", "Ninjask", "Shedinja", "Beauty", "ItemMale", "ItemFemale", "DayHoldItem", "NightHoldItem", "HasMove", "HasInParty", "LevelMale", "LevelFemale", "Special1", "Special2", "Special3", "Custom1", "Custom2", "Custom3", "Custom4", "Custom5", "Custom6", "Custom7"])
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 495, key Evolutions
LIETRAUS,level,36

Compiler:1514:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:1530:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:2126:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2111:in `each'
Compiler:2111:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2109:in `loop'
Compiler:2188:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2093:in `each'
Compiler:2093:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2092:in `each'

Is it case sensitive?

KingCharizard
March 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Alright, I'll have to figure out how to do the abilities since they're (honestly) just edits of existing ones (such as the starter abilities, and fire/grass versions of Volt Absorb).

Anywho, I added in the fakemon (as you said) and tried to run the Playtest and got this :/

Is it case sensitive?

Most of the time, I think it depends on what it is you defining...

Valora17
March 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Most of the time, I think it depends on what it is you defining...
It is, I was talking about the evolution section where it says SAUSIER,level,16 >> It's Case sensitive to the level =/= Level

taimao
March 26th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I'm in the process of writing a script that handles honey tree events like in DPP. I'm using the berry plant scripts as an example of how to do this. Has anyone tried do this?

Nickalooose
March 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Cut down on the exclamation marks, please!

Sorry... I'm just very good at punctuating, thats all...

The position the traded/obtained Pokémon is in is stored in $game_variables[1]. You use pbGet(1) to recall this number, and thus operate on the received Pokémon.

To teach it a move, use $Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].moves[1]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::VINEWHIP). This will change the second known move (remember that the known move list is zero-based) to whatever you want - you can set any of the other moves in the same way. You'll probably want to use this 4 times in order to be sure you're giving it the right moveset. I'm not using pbAutoLearnMove because it's being an arse for no reason and I can't be bothered figuring it out.

You shouldn't get that error if you do things properly (such as remembering to capitalise "Trainer" in the code).

As for the nicknames, you can get around that by giving the received Pokémon its species name as a nickname (this solves a trade-evolution problem), and then after the trade has completed put this line into the event (at the same place you put the move-changing code):

$Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].name=PBSpecies.getName($Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].species)

This sets the nickname of the Pokémon to be the same as the species. This works even if the received Pokémon is later evolved separately (e.g. using a Thunderstone on Pikachu). This is a horrible fix because the game is coded to give every traded Pokémon a nickname (even if it's blank), and you want to change that.

That solves all your problems. I'm not explaining myself even more clearly, because it's late.

After about 3000 trial and erroring (if thats even a word) it finally works... thanks for your help Maruno...

another question before i leave in peace.

using Iron and Carbos etc. Raises stats, is there anyway to do this via script, without the use of an item, i want that Pikachu to have an extra strength boost...
i have a fair idea how i would do this, but i just want to make sure there is no "proper" way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Valora17
March 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
So, in Pokemon.txt I added in my fakemon, Euepho, and tried to change its moveset (I used Bulbasaur as a base... I think). So I went to see if it worked the way I wanted it to, but when I looked at it in-game, it says that Harden is Growl >>; Anyone know the reason why?

[494]
Name=EUEPHO
InternalName=EUEPHO
Kind=Saucer
Pokedex=EUEPHO can be seen hovering through the night sky at high speeds. They are often a cause of disruption in the farming towns of Thespi.
Type1=STEEL
BaseStats=49,40,65,50,45,65
Rareness=45
BaseEXP=64
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Parabolic
StepsToHatch=5120
Color=Gray
Habitat=Urban
EffortPoints=0,0,1,0,0,0
Abilities=ANTIRUST
Compatibility=10,11
Height=1.3
Weight=10.0
GenderRate=FemaleOneEighth
Moves=1,TACKLE,3,HARDEN,7,METALSOUND,13,CONFUSION,15,CURSE,
19,IRONDEFENSE,25,IRONHEAD,27,AGILITY,31,RAPIDSPIN,37,MIRRORSHOT,39,WISH,43,GYROBALL
EggMoves=DISCHARGE,TELEPORT,CURSE,FUTURESIGHT,DISABLE,PROTECT,HYPNOSIS,MEANLOOK
Evolutions=SAUSIER,Level,16
BattlerPlayerY=17
BattlerEnemyY=16
BattlerAltitude=0

Also, when I try to open the edit I get this problem:
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1563:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
Compiler:1546:in `each_line'
Compiler:1546:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
Compiler:1584:in `pbEachFileSection'
Compiler:2078:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2076:in `open'
Compiler:2076:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:3811:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3939

So is something wrong with my Arceus file? I haven't edited it soooo... yeah >>

thepsynergist
March 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Seems you screwed up Arceus's dex entry. Also I noticed that your new fakemon has a new ability. Can you define your own now in Pokemon Essentials?

ultron90
March 27th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Hello. Does anyone know how to check a pokemon's level in an event? I need to use it for a new evolution method im trying.

Maruno
March 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM
So, in Pokemon.txt I added in my fakemon, Euepho, and tried to change its moveset (I used Bulbasaur as a base... I think). So I went to see if it worked the way I wanted it to, but when I looked at it in-game, it says that Harden is Growl >>; Anyone know the reason why?

Also, when I try to open the edit I get this problem:

So is something wrong with my Arceus file? I haven't edited it soooo... yeah >>
Your Arceus error is in the WildItemRare line. It's not written properly. Have a look at it (including the capitalisation) and see what's wrong.

Have you recompiled the data after changing the moveset? To recompile it, do a play test within RPG Maker XP - don't just run the game directly from the folder, because the changes you made won't be included.

Seems you screwed up Arceus's dex entry. Also I noticed that your new fakemon has a new ability. Can you define your own now in Pokemon Essentials?
You could always make new abilities. However, it's very difficult, and requires advanced scripting knowledge. There's no easy way to do it (and there can't possibly be - abilities do all kinds of completely different things, after all).

Hello. Does anyone know how to check a pokemon's level in an event? I need to use it for a new evolution method im trying.
If you can do something in the scripts, you can do it in an event (because one kind of event line is "Script").

Evolving only past a certain level is the simplest and most common evolution method in the game. It goes something like this:

if pokemon.level>=levelIf you're making a new evolution method, you're best putting it with all the other evolution methods (in PokemonEvolution) rather than in an event. There are several parts to evolutions, though, so you'll need to do your research.

Colbex
March 27th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Okay, does anyone know how to make sure a trainer's PokéMon always has a specific ability? Because the final champion in my game along with gym leaders and E4 members have specific strategies(ex: technician scizor, Flash Fire Houndour, Rock Solid Rhyperior).
What would I have to do to make sure the opponents PokéMon have a specific ability, or gender for that matter?
I've been editing the module TrainerPokemonParty located in PokemonEditor, but nothing changes for that matter. Is there something else I would have to change? For the gender, I'm just using the same property used for trainer types with a slight edit, the 3rd being neutral rather than mixed. I've also added the base for ability and nature property. Those look like this respectively.
module AbilityProperty
end
module NatureProperty
endObviously they don't do anything yet, but I'll add them in soon enough. I'm just curious as to why the information doesn't show up in the editor after I've added this:
module TrainerPokemonProperty
def self.set(settingname,oldsetting)
oldsetting=[0,10,10,0,0,0,0,0,false,false,0,0,0] if !oldsetting
properties=[
[_INTL("Species"),SpeciesProperty,
_INTL("Species of this Pokémon.")],
[_INTL("Level"),NonzeroLimitProperty.new(PBExperience::MAXLEVEL),
_INTL("Level of the Pokémon.")],
[_INTL("IVs"),LimitProperty.new(31),
_INTL("Individual values of each of the Pokémon's stats.")],
[_INTL("Held item"),ItemProperty,
_INTL("Item held by the Pokémon.")],
[_INTL("Move 1"),MoveProperty2.new(oldsetting),
_INTL("First move. Leave all moves blank (use Z key) to give it a wild move set.")],
[_INTL("Move 2"),MoveProperty2.new(oldsetting),
_INTL("Second move. Leave all moves blank (use Z key) to give it a wild move set.")],
[_INTL("Move 3"),MoveProperty2.new(oldsetting),
_INTL("Third move. Leave all moves blank (use Z key) to give it a wild move set.")],
[_INTL("Move 4"),MoveProperty2.new(oldsetting),
_INTL("Fourth move. Leave all moves blank (use Z key) to give it a wild move set.")],
[_INTL("Shiny"),BooleanProperty,
_INTL("If set to true, this Pokémon is a different-colored Pokémon.")],
[_INTL("Shadow"),BooleanProperty,
_INTL("If set to true, this Pokémon is a shadow Pokémon.")],
[_INTL("Gender"),EnumProperty.new([_INTL("Male"),_INTL("Female"),_INTL("Neither")]),
_INTL("Gender of this PokéMon. Random if left blank.")],
[_INTL("Ability"),AbilityProperty.new,
_INTL("Ability of this PokéMon. Random is left blank.")],
[_INTL("Nature"),NatureProperty.new(24),
_INTL("Nature of this PokéMon. Random if left blank.")]
]

Wichu
March 27th, 2010, 07:34 AM
using Iron and Carbos etc. Raises stats, is there anyway to do this via script, without the use of an item, i want that Pikachu to have an extra strength boost...

The vitamins simply increase a Pokémon's effort values by 10. So use something like:
pokemon.ev[1]+=10
That would give a Pokémon 10 Attack EVs, just like using a Protein.

ultron90
March 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
If you can do something in the scripts, you can do it in an event (because one kind of event line is "Script").

Evolving only past a certain level is the simplest and most common evolution method in the game. It goes something like this:

if pokemon.level>=levelIf you're making a new evolution method, you're best putting it with all the other evolution methods (in PokemonEvolution) rather than in an event. There are several parts to evolutions, though, so you'll need to do your research.

I was thinking of an event for example a professor checks a specific pokemon in the trainer's party like a starter and then checks its level. If the level is high enough, he will give the player an evolution stone to make that pokemon evolve. Do you know how to do that?

KingCharizard
March 27th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I was thinking of an event for example a professor checks a specific pokemon in the trainer's party like a starter and then checks its level. If the level is high enough, he will give the player an evolution stone to make that pokemon evolve. Do you know how to do that?

use a conditional branch with a script that looks something like this. pbHasSpecies?(:: PBSpecies::CELEBI) thats should work, but im not entirely sure.

about the lv thing, I think you have to script that arguement into the code to check for lvs

VEGET@
March 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM
The code is:
pbHasSpecies?(:: PBSpecies::X,Y)
X: Name of the pokemon
Y:Level of the pokemon

Sorry for my english

Valora17
March 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks Maruno :) Though, I checked my Arceus info and I haven't changed anything on it at all (and it doesn't have the WildItemRare= text on it at all, even in the newer version) but I still get the error:

[493]
Name=ARCEUS
InternalName=ARCEUS
Kind=Alpha
Pokedex=It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Type1=NORMAL
BaseStats=120,120,120,120,120,120
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=255
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=
Compatibility=15,15
Height=3.2
Weight=320.0
GenderRate=Genderless
Moves=1,SEISMICTOSS,1,COSMICPOWER,1,HIDDENPOWER,1,DRAGONRAGE,10,ROLEPLAY,20,SHADOWBALL,30,HYPERVOICE,40,EXTREMESPEED,50,REFRESH,60,FUTURESIGHT,70,RECOVER,80,HYPERBEAM,90,PERISHSONG,100,SKULLBASH
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=1
BattlerEnemyY=1
BattlerAltitude=0

EDIT: Actually >> none of the 4th gen have WildItemRare= or WildItemCommon= apparently.

EDIT2: And completely unrelated, would it be best just to update to the current version or keep the one I've been working with? I remember someone saying that the latest had a bug, but I can't remember where.

SpawnHyuuga
March 27th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Have we yet figured out how to make it so Pokemon don't go through a sex change when facing a trainer?

Maruno
March 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I presume by this wording that you choose a Pokémon in your party to show to the man. What you really mean is that, when the man is shown a particular Pokémon (of at least level X), then he'll give you an item. That item just so happens to be an evolution stone, but in this case it's not important.

Firstly, use pbChoosePokemon to pick a Pokémon from your party. Then do a heap of the following:

if $Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].species==CHARMANDER && $Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].level>=36
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(::PBItems::FIRESTONE)
endDo one of these for each Pokémon you'll get a stone for, and at the end add an "else "I'm not going to give you anything for that."" at the end. It should be obvious how to customise that code to do what you want.

You should probably also add a "one per day" stipulation; otherwise you could just show the same Pokémon to him a dozen times and never worry about lacking the stones.

Have we yet figured out how to make it so Pokemon don't go through a sex change when facing a trainer?
Nope. This feature isn't part of Essentials - you'd have to add it in yourself, which would be very laborious and tricky even for someone who knows Ruby.

You could just pretend that the trainer had caught an opposite sex clone of their Pokémon while you were running back to the Poké Centre (or on your journey if this is a rematch). :cheeky: To be honest, I don't think this is one of those priority features.

Thanks Maruno :) Though, I checked my Arceus info and I haven't changed anything on it at all (and it doesn't have the WildItemRare= text on it at all, even in the newer version) but I still get the error:

[493]
Name=ARCEUS
InternalName=ARCEUS
Kind=Alpha
Pokedex=It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Type1=NORMAL
BaseStats=120,120,120,120,120,120
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=255
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=
Compatibility=15,15
Height=3.2
Weight=320.0
GenderRate=Genderless
Moves=1,SEISMICTOSS,1,COSMICPOWER,1,HIDDENPOWER,1,DRAGONRAGE,10,ROLEPLAY,20,SHADOWBALL,30,HYPERVOICE,40,EXTREMESPEED,50,REFRESH,60,FUTURESIGHT,70,RECOVER,80,HYPERBEAM,90,PERISHSONG,100,SKULLBASH
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=1
BattlerEnemyY=1
BattlerAltitude=0

EDIT: Actually >> none of the 4th gen have WildItemRare= or WildItemCommon= apparently.

EDIT2: And completely unrelated, would it be best just to update to the current version or keep the one I've been working with? I remember someone saying that the latest had a bug, but I can't remember where.
All I can suggest is that you put the line in, but don't put an item in. I don't know why the error's showing up.

As for upgrading, I can't say. I know there have been problems with recent versions. I myself use a year-old version, which works fine enough. It'd help if there was a list of features added with each update, so that I'd know what I was missing out on, though.

Valora17
March 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
So, I'm assuming its a problem with my fakemon because as soon as I took them out of the pokemon.txt file the editor started working >> Then wehn I put them back in, lo and behold, it stopped working again.

Has anyone else who's tried to insert a fakemon had this kind of a problem?