PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Maruno
March 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I was thinking of an event for example a professor checks a specific pokemon in the trainer's party like a starter and then checks its level. If the level is high enough, he will give the player an evolution stone to make that pokemon evolve. Do you know how to do that?
I presume by this wording that you choose a Pokémon in your party to show to the man. What you really mean is that, when the man is shown a particular Pokémon (of at least level X), then he'll give you an item. That item just so happens to be an evolution stone, but in this case it's not important.

Firstly, use pbChoosePokemon to pick a Pokémon from your party. Then do a heap of the following:

if $Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].species==CHARMANDER && $Trainer.party[pbGet(1)].level>=36
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(::PBItems::FIRESTONE)
endDo one of these for each Pokémon you'll get a stone for, and at the end add an "else "I'm not going to give you anything for that."" at the end. It should be obvious how to customise that code to do what you want.

You should probably also add a "one per day" stipulation; otherwise you could just show the same Pokémon to him a dozen times and never worry about lacking the stones.

Have we yet figured out how to make it so Pokemon don't go through a sex change when facing a trainer?
Nope. This feature isn't part of Essentials - you'd have to add it in yourself, which would be very laborious and tricky even for someone who knows Ruby.

You could just pretend that the trainer had caught an opposite sex clone of their Pokémon while you were running back to the Poké Centre (or on your journey if this is a rematch). :cheeky: To be honest, I don't think this is one of those priority features.

Thanks Maruno :) Though, I checked my Arceus info and I haven't changed anything on it at all (and it doesn't have the WildItemRare= text on it at all, even in the newer version) but I still get the error:

[493]
Name=ARCEUS
InternalName=ARCEUS
Kind=Alpha
Pokedex=It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Type1=NORMAL
BaseStats=120,120,120,120,120,120
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=255
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=
Compatibility=15,15
Height=3.2
Weight=320.0
GenderRate=Genderless
Moves=1,SEISMICTOSS,1,COSMICPOWER,1,HIDDENPOWER,1,DRAGONRAGE,10,ROLEPLAY,20,SHADOWBALL,30,HYPERVOICE,40,EXTREMESPEED,50,REFRESH,60,FUTURESIGHT,70,RECOVER,80,HYPERBEAM,90,PERISHSONG,100,SKULLBASH
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=1
BattlerEnemyY=1
BattlerAltitude=0

EDIT: Actually >> none of the 4th gen have WildItemRare= or WildItemCommon= apparently.

EDIT2: And completely unrelated, would it be best just to update to the current version or keep the one I've been working with? I remember someone saying that the latest had a bug, but I can't remember where.
All I can suggest is that you put the line in, but don't put an item in. I don't know why the error's showing up.

As for upgrading, I can't say. I know there have been problems with recent versions. I myself use a year-old version, which works fine enough. It'd help if there was a list of features added with each update, so that I'd know what I was missing out on, though.

Valora17
March 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
So, I'm assuming its a problem with my fakemon because as soon as I took them out of the pokemon.txt file the editor started working >> Then wehn I put them back in, lo and behold, it stopped working again.

Has anyone else who's tried to insert a fakemon had this kind of a problem?

taimao
March 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
So, I'm assuming its a problem with my fakemon because as soon as I took them out of the pokemon.txt file the editor started working >> Then wehn I put them back in, lo and behold, it stopped working again.

Has anyone else who's tried to insert a fakemon had this kind of a problem?
Try re-entering your fakemon without the new ability you added. I suspect that could be the problem.

Edit: never mind probably not the problem

ultron90
March 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Thanx maruno but i seem to be getting errors.

Exception: SyntaxError
(eval):9: syntax error
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(::
^
(eval):11: syntax error
***Line 'Kernel.pbReceiveItem(::' can't begin with '::', try putting the next
word on the same line, e.g.: 'PBSpecies::MEW'
***Full script:
pbChoosePokemon(1,2,
proc {|poke|
!poke.egg? and
poke.species==PBSpecies::TURTWIG
})
if pbGetPokemon(1).species==
TURTWIG &&
$Trainer.party[pbGet(1).level>=36
PBItems::FIRESTONE)
end
else "NO"
end

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:191:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:196:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:63:in `main'

How do i fix it?

KitsuneKouta
March 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm looking for a way to make wild pokemon drop either items or money. Items would be preferred, but money if not. I tried a money drop, however when I assign a value to @moneygained, it says it can't be converted to fixnum. Also, it doesn't perform an equation either. I've tried looking around at how trainer money drops are handled, but still no luck.

taimao
March 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I am so excited. I just finished the core of a honey tree script that connects one or more events together. I guess its not a that big of a deal, but I had to just vent my excitment. Now I just have to finish the the encounters script for it. Wow my brain hurts now. I guess you can disreguard my question a page or two ago.

Maruno
March 28th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Thanx maruno but i seem to be getting errors.

Quote:
Exception: SyntaxError
(eval):9: syntax error
^
(eval):11: syntax error
***Line 'Kernel.pbReceiveItem(::' can't begin with '::', try putting the next
word on the same line, e.g.: 'PBSpecies::MEW'
***Full script:
pbChoosePokemon(1,2,
proc {|poke|
!poke.egg? and
})
if pbGetPokemon(1).species==
TURTWIG &&
$Trainer.party[pbGet(1).level>=36
PBItems::FIRESTONE)
end
else "NO"
end

Scene_Map:63:in `main'How do i fix it?
Error messages can actually be useful, you know. You're allowed to read them.

The simple solution is, when the box is open where you type in the script, run the ExtendText file that's in the main folder of the game. This widens the box, so you can fit more script into it.

ultron90
March 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Error messages can actually be useful, you know. You're allowed to read them.

The simple solution is, when the box is open where you type in the script, run the ExtendText file that's in the main folder of the game. This widens the box, so you can fit more script into it.

Does it work on windows 7? Because I can't seem to open it eventhough i fixed the compatibility to windows xp

Maruno
March 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Does it work on windows 7? Because I can't seem to open it eventhough i fixed the compatibility to windows xp
It works for me. I know it took a bit of fiddling, though, and I'm not sure what exactly I did. Try running as administrator.

KitsuneKouta
March 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Many of the different menus in essentials use the pbStartScene to display them. I was wondering how you can keep the map in the background while the menu is open (like the Mart screen). I accidentally did something like this by adding a y value to the badges on the trainer card, but it was somewhat buggy. If you simply remove the background, and make the border around the image transparent, it shows black.

Another question: how do I use the (insert graphic name here)%03d? I believe the number (3 in this case) refers to the number of digits at the end of the graphics name (this example was used for the trainer graphic, which was trainer000, with ends in 3 digits), and the code itself refers to whatever is given in the arguments (i.e. $Trainer.trainertype).

lezebulon
March 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM
How can I edit the tints for the day / night cycle?

KitsuneKouta
March 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
@lezebulon: This is my previous post about that.
In PokemonUtilities is module PBDayNight. Under it is an array with several values, with the array being named shades. Modifying the values in the array should change the shades. There are four individual sections, so they probably correspond to the times of day. I haven't tried it, but that's likely what you're looking for.

I tested it out, and it worked for me (I tried it with shades of white though, so I don't know what makes a good color, so you'll have to play around with it). It's actually one of the first things you see in PokemonUtilities, a large chunk of red numbers, etc. Just modify those numbers until you get what you want (It may take some work to do it though, and apparently each section only corresponds to one of four times of day, so modifying the others won't show a difference until that time of day.

VEGET@
March 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hi!
I put in my map a Fog of cluds in a event, when the player colission with the event, the clouds appears.
But later for a second the cluds dissapperars!!!

thepsynergist
March 29th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Just place the event where the player can't walk. Like on the top right corner or something.

Valora17
March 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM
So, I continue to get an error saying that my WildItemRare= is wrong for Arceus when I try to put my fakemon into the game. However, when I remove my fakemon it works. I've tried editing out the custom abilities I made for my fakes, but that had no effect on it.

Has anyone else who has tried to incorporate fakemon into the game encountered this kind of a problem? And if so, how did you fix it?

EDIT: Also, when setting encounters (currently I'm doing it without my fakemon :/) How exactly do you do this? << I'm rather confused.

KitsuneKouta
March 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
So, I continue to get an error saying that my WildItemRare= is wrong for Arceus when I try to put my fakemon into the game. However, when I remove my fakemon it works. I've tried editing out the custom abilities I made for my fakes, but that had no effect on it.

Has anyone else who has tried to incorporate fakemon into the game encountered this kind of a problem? And if so, how did you fix it?

EDIT: Also, when setting encounters (currently I'm doing it without my fakemon :/) How exactly do you do this? << I'm rather confused.

I'm not really sure what the problem is. I just spent less than two minutes adding a fakemon to my game, and it worked perfectly (showed up in the pokedex and everything). Make sure the entries are in the exact format of the other ones, and that the fakemon is numbered properly. Also, since the error keeps mentioning Arceus' WildItemRare field, erase it if it exists (my pokemon.txt didn't even have that field for Arceus). If all else fails, re-download the starter kit and copy the pokemon.txt file from there, then add you fakemon to it and put it in you current game.

For setting encounters, there's a couple of ways to do it. I'd recommend opening the editor.exe, then choosing set encounters. From there, you should be able to set the encounters for different types of areas (land, water, cave, day, night, etc.), then the actual pokemon for each type of area. You can also have multiple encounter types per map (i.e. land and water on the same map, or day and night as well). If that doesn't make sense, then you should read the notes, they're very useful.

thepsynergist
March 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Do you have a file named 494cry.wav in your sound folder? That might be an issue, I don't know.

ultron90
March 30th, 2010, 12:28 AM
It works for me. I know it took a bit of fiddling, though, and I'm not sure what exactly I did. Try running as administrator.

I tried everything. It does nothing. Do you think poccil has made a newer version that is compatible for w7?

EDIT: I think I might try using another method using conditional branches and pbHasSpecies?. I just need to know how to get the level of the pokemon chosen.

Soul.//Silver
March 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
How do I add a new HM, I'm trying to add Rock Climb and I have edited the appropriate .txt files in the PBS folder and also added a new script for Rock Climb in PokemonHiddenMoves and a minor edit in PokemonField for a Rock Climb terrain tag (for the top of the rock and the bottom of the rock, much like Waterfall). For the Rock Climb script, I just used Waterfall as reference and made a couple of minor edits.
When I go to test it, the Pokemon knows Rock Climb but it doesn't appear in the little menu that pops up when you want to use a HM move such as Fly or Flash. Also, pressing A on the actual Rock Climb rocks does absolutely nothing.
Is there something I'm missing here?

Syllyra
March 30th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I made a few maps for my game which work perfectly. But the last two days all settings of a tileset (walk/can't walk) are overruled, causing the map to be pretty, but useless. Anyone have an idea how did could have happened??

P.S. I haven't been messing with scripts or similar stuff.
P.P.S All maps made with the tilesets in question that were made before the past two days don't have the problem :S

Maruno
March 30th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I tried everything. It does nothing. Do you think poccil has made a newer version that is compatible for w7?

EDIT: I think I might try using another method using conditional branches and pbHasSpecies?. I just need to know how to get the level of the pokemon chosen.
My version is over a year old, and it works with Windows 7. I know I've got my User Account Control settings switched off, so it never bugs me with messages like "Are you sure you want to move this file?".

Why bother changing the method? The one I gave you will work just fine. Unless you're thinking along the lines of saying you want X stone, then a check runs in the background for one of the relevant species (and a level check if it finds one). That would be neater, yes.

In which case, make a new def like the following:

def pbFindSpeciesInParty(species)
for pokemon in $Trainer.party
next if pokemon.egg?
return pokemon if pokemon.species==species
end
return -1
endThis def will return the party index number of the Pokémon it finds. You then do a simple conditional statement with the argument "$Trainer.party[pokemon].level>=32", and go that way.

Alternatively, to make the event even neater, put the whole process in a new def, so all you'll need in the event is a choice of which stone you want (which sets the variable "stonewant" to equal a value), then a conditional statement with the argument "pbCheckPartyForStoneGiving(stonewant)" (which contains all the checks, as well as the list of pokémon and associated levels), and for the "true" part of the conditional branch, give the item (depending on the value of "stonewant"). Or go even further and put the whole process in a def, so the event just contains a single line calling "pbShowPokemonForStone" (or whatever).

It's fairly straightforward, I think (but then again, I'm good at this kind of thing).

How do I add a new HM, I'm trying to add Rock Climb and I have edited the appropriate .txt files in the PBS folder and also added a new script for Rock Climb in PokemonHiddenMoves and a minor edit in PokemonField for a Rock Climb terrain tag (for the top of the rock and the bottom of the rock, much like Waterfall). For the Rock Climb script, I just used Waterfall as reference and made a couple of minor edits.
When I go to test it, the Pokemon knows Rock Climb but it doesn't appear in the little menu that pops up when you want to use a HM move such as Fly or Flash. Also, pressing A on the actual Rock Climb rocks does absolutely nothing.
Is there something I'm missing here?
The party screen is in PokemonScreen. Find where the hidden moves (and Teleport/Sweet Scent/Dig/Headbutt/Milk Drink/Softboiled) are handled (one place to put them in the list, another place to decide what they do), and copy-paste as appropriate.

Make sure you copy everything about Waterfall, up to and including tinkering with Kernel.pbHiddenMoveEvent. Everywhere in PokemonField that has anything to do with Waterfall, make a copy of it. Perhaps you just missed something.

However, I would have thought that having an event at the top and bottom of the rock climbing place would work just as well. Set the direction the player is facing and how far they need to go, turn "through" on (so you can walk over the cliff) and set a move route. That's not how other HMs are set up (e.g. Cut, Strength which also only work when used on an event), and it won't display the "Rock Climb" option in the party screen menu, but it'll work. Just a simple option if you don't mind about that.

Remember, though, that if you're going up the sides of cliffs (i.e. left-right or right-left) that you only go half a tile up for every tile across. This becomes really awkward for long climbing sessions. You may want to copy the "jump" settings and make your own "this is how you move when climbing" commands, in order to cope with going diagonally, but that's really advanced stuff.

Trigger
March 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Is breeding possible in essentials?

KitsuneKouta
March 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Is breeding possible in essentials?
Yes, breeding works. I'm not sure how functional it is, but it appeared to be very in depth. It even has a field for egg moves for each Pokemon, so "inheriting" moves is possible. I tried it out real quick, and I don't think you'll have to add anything to it (I don't know about inheriting stats or anything like that though).

EDIT: Also, can anyone give me some clues about displaying graphics in the battle menu? I've been playing around, and most of the errors I get are something about "visible= " When I don't get an error, the graphic is simply invisible (it likely isn't meeting the requirements to show the graphic in the first place). I've been trying to set it to display in the index where it says "What will (pokemon's name) do?", "FIGHT", "BAG", etc.

Trigger
March 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Cross Breeding? Is that possible?

lezebulon
March 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi
So, when I use a transition and change the tone of the map, there is a glitch that happens when you are near a zone where 2 maps connects, because the map you are not in changes tone after the map you are in... anyone know how to make this look good?

KitsuneKouta
March 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Cross Breeding? Is that possible?
What do you mean by cross breeding? As long as they are in the same egg group, it's fine. If you want all pokemon to be able to breed with each other, regardless of type, go to pokemon.txt and change the egg group of all of them to be the same (though it's probably not the best idea).

@lezebulon: I don't think there's a way to fix that, since it's probably just because events are processed on the current map first, and other maps afterwards. If it's possible, it would require modifying the scripts that handle connected maps. I recommend using those transitions away from map edges to avoid that problem.

BlitŻ
March 30th, 2010, 04:35 PM
While fabricating my the introduction to my game, I had the idea of switching across different map, the narrator telling a story. However, when I tried to transfer the player to another map after the first few images, I get this error:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: TypeError

Sprite_Character:93:in `+'

Sprite_Character:93:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:179:in `update'

Sprite_Character:33:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'

PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:155:in `initialize'

Spriteset_Map:147:in `new'

Spriteset_Map:147:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Which means that I didn't call the script pbchangeplayer(0). However, when I go to the first map I want to pan across, the player sprite is shown, defeating the purpose I have for my introduction. This arose two questions in my mind, one will solve this problem, and one will solve a later problem. How do I change the player's sprite?

KitsuneKouta
March 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
While fabricating my the introduction to my game, I had the idea of switching across different map, the narrator telling a story. However, when I tried to transfer the player to another map after the first few images, I get this error:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: TypeError

Sprite_Character:93:in `+'

Sprite_Character:93:in `update_or'

Sprite_Character:33:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'

PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:155:in `initialize'

Spriteset_Map:147:in `new'

Spriteset_Map:147:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

OK

Which means that I didn't call the script pbchangeplayer(0). However, when I go to the first map I want to pan across, the player sprite is shown, defeating the purpose I have for my introduction. This arose two questions in my mind, one will solve this problem, and one will solve a later problem. How do I change the player's sprite?

To make the player invisible, use change transparent flag and set it to transparency. When the intro is over, change the transparent flag to visible. That should do the trick.

Mrchewy
March 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Got a few silly questions for you guys, that have bugged me for months =/

1. By default, if you go through a map transition while running and have an autorun event on the next map, you will keep sprinting. Is there a way to fix this?

2. How would one go about increasing the frequency at which charsets animate? I'm not talking about movement frequency, I'm asking how to make it so that, for example, the hero animates faster while sprinting (by default he moves much faster than his animation would imply).

3. I am trying to implement a minor scripting edit so that when the player jumps a normal ledge, his charset is changed while he is in the air, and then changes back to normal when he lands. I tried doing this:

when 6 # right
$game_switches[30]=true
$game_player.jump(dist,0)
$game_switches[30]=false

I made it so when that switch was turned on, the players charset would change (that part worked). In that section there though, the player would jump, land and then his charset would change, and remain like that forever. Is there any way to create a switch that is turned on ONLY when the player is in mid-air?

4. Any way to increase the text speed? By default, "Fast" is still pretty slow. Poccil showed me an excellent method, but it only applies to the latest version =/. Anyone know how this is done in older versions?

5. How does one increase the speed at which the battle boxes (health/level/experience boxes) fly into the screen? I can't seem to find the line of code that applies to these - but I did find everything else inbetween, lol

Sorry for the abundance of questions; I've accumulated these over quite some time, and unfortunately haven't managed to sort them out myself.

ultron90
March 31st, 2010, 04:02 AM
My version is over a year old, and it works with Windows 7. I know I've got my User Account Control settings switched off, so it never bugs me with messages like "Are you sure you want to move this file?".

Why bother changing the method? The one I gave you will work just fine. Unless you're thinking along the lines of saying you want X stone, then a check runs in the background for one of the relevant species (and a level check if it finds one). That would be neater, yes.

In which case, make a new def like the following:

def pbFindSpeciesInParty(species)
for pokemon in $Trainer.party
next if pokemon.egg?
return pokemon if pokemon.species==species
end
return -1
endThis def will return the party index number of the Pokémon it finds. You then do a simple conditional statement with the argument "$Trainer.party[pokemon].level>=32", and go that way.

Alternatively, to make the event even neater, put the whole process in a new def, so all you'll need in the event is a choice of which stone you want (which sets the variable "stonewant" to equal a value), then a conditional statement with the argument "pbCheckPartyForStoneGiving(stonewant)" (which contains all the checks, as well as the list of pokémon and associated levels), and for the "true" part of the conditional branch, give the item (depending on the value of "stonewant"). Or go even further and put the whole process in a def, so the event just contains a single line calling "pbShowPokemonForStone" (or whatever).

It's fairly straightforward, I think (but then again, I'm good at this kind of thing).

The party screen is in PokemonScreen. Find where the hidden moves (and Teleport/Sweet Scent/Dig/Headbutt/Milk Drink/Softboiled) are handled (one place to put them in the list, another place to decide what they do), and copy-paste as appropriate.

Make sure you copy everything about Waterfall, up to and including tinkering with Kernel.pbHiddenMoveEvent. Everywhere in PokemonField that has anything to do with Waterfall, make a copy of it. Perhaps you just missed something.

However, I would have thought that having an event at the top and bottom of the rock climbing place would work just as well. Set the direction the player is facing and how far they need to go, turn "through" on (so you can walk over the cliff) and set a move route. That's not how other HMs are set up (e.g. Cut, Strength which also only work when used on an event), and it won't display the "Rock Climb" option in the party screen menu, but it'll work. Just a simple option if you don't mind about that.

Remember, though, that if you're going up the sides of cliffs (i.e. left-right or right-left) that you only go half a tile up for every tile across. This becomes really awkward for long climbing sessions. You may want to copy the "jump" settings and make your own "this is how you move when climbing" commands, in order to cope with going diagonally, but that's really advanced stuff.

Thanks A lot Maruno.
By the way, I finally got the extendedit to work but I still got an error. What did I do wrong?
xception: RuntimeError
Exception: NameError
Message: (eval):6:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant Interpreter::TURTWIG
***Full script:
pbChoosePokemon(1,2,
proc {|poke|
!poke.egg? and
})
if pbGetPokemon(1).species==TURTWIG && pbGetPokemon(1).level>=36
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(::PBItems::FIRESTONE)

else
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The soil returned to its soft and loamy state."))
end

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `eval'

KingCharizard
March 31st, 2010, 08:59 AM
Got a few silly questions for you guys, that have bugged me for months =/

1. By default, if you go through a map transition while running and have an autorun event on the next map, you will keep sprinting. Is there a way to fix this? Set a wait function at the beginning of the auto run event.

2. How would one go about increasing the frequency at which charsets animate? I'm not talking about movement frequency, I'm asking how to make it so that, for example, the hero animates faster while sprinting (by default he moves much faster than his animation would imply). Edit this in the Walk_Run script

if !pbMapInterpreterRunning? &&
!moving? && !@move_route_forcing && $PokemonGlobal
if $PokemonGlobal.bicycle
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 8 : 5.2
elsif pbCanRun?
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 6.5 : 4.8
else
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 4.5 : 3.8
end
end

Thats the speed at which the player run's by default its too fast anyways.

3. I am trying to implement a minor scripting edit so that when the player jumps a normal ledge, his charset is changed while he is in the air, and then changes back to normal when he lands. I tried doing this:

when 6 # right
$game_switches[30]=true
$game_player.jump(dist,0)
$game_switches[30]=false

I made it so when that switch was turned on, the players charset would change (that part worked). In that section there though, the player would jump, land and then his charset would change, and remain like that forever. Is there any way to create a switch that is turned on ONLY when the player is in mid-air? Yeah, try chainging it by setting up a new switch that will change it back. You set it to false, but the switch has been made. You've changed in the internal player array Now u need to set it back.

4. Any way to increase the text speed? By default, "Fast" is still pretty slow. Poccil showed me an excellent method, but it only applies to the latest version =/. Anyone know how this is done in older versions? Not a clue lost my older versions

5. How does one increase the speed at which the battle boxes (health/level/experience boxes) fly into the screen? I can't seem to find the line of code that applies to these - but I did find everything else inbetween, lol have you checked the pokebattle_scene script, I'm not sure exactly where it is but I know its somewhere, maybe not in there but its in one of the pokebattle scripts
Sorry for the abundance of questions; I've accumulated these over quite some time, and unfortunately haven't managed to sort them out myself.

Lol its understandable Hope I helped with some of your problems.

KitsuneKouta
March 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM
I figured out how to make item drops when a battle ends. Now, I need to figure out how to specify the item dropped from a list of values. I set up an array like this:
def pbItemDrop
itemlist=[
:POTION,:SUPERPOTION,:REVIVE (this is just as an example)
]
for i in itemlist
return true if isConst?(PBItems)
end
return false
endThen the item is obtained like this:
itemgained=PBItems::itemlist
itemname=PBItems.getName(itemgained)
if @internalbattle
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} found a {2}!",self.pbPlayer.name,itemname))
$PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(itemgained)
endI can figure out the random part, but the problem is the itemgained=PBItems::itemlist.
If I set it to PBItems::POTION, it works just fine. I need it to recognize the values in the array, then I can make it work from there.

KingCharizard
March 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM
I figured out how to make item drops when a battle ends. Now, I need to figure out how to specify the item dropped from a list of values. I set up an array like this:
def pbItemDrop
itemlist=[
]
for i in itemlist
end
return false
if @internalbattle
endI can figure out the random part, but the problem is the itemgained=PBItems::itemlist.
If I set it to PBItems::POTION, it works just fine. I need it to recognize the values in the array, then I can make it work from there.

Cant u set up an array to shuffle through the item list like PBItems[0]
++PBItems? Or something along them lines? So it shuffles through and calls out the array value...

Or maybe have the script call each item by using the array's 0,1,2,3 storage position where 0=Potion and so on. I know this can be done in C++

Maruno
March 31st, 2010, 02:03 PM
def pbItemDrop
itemlist=[
]
for i in itemlist
end
return false
if @internalbattle
pbItemDrop only returns true or false. It doesn't return an item. I'm not sure what the point of it is. In fact, I can't even see how it works.

Try something like this:

def pbItemDrop
itemlist=[
PBItems::POTION,
PBItems::SUPERPOTION,
PBItems::RARECANDY
]
return itemlist[rnd(itemlist.length)]
end
Then the second bit of code looks something like this:

itemgained=pbItemDrop
if @internalbattle
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} found a {2}!",self.pbPlayer.name,PBItems.getName(itemgained))
end

BlitŻ
March 31st, 2010, 03:18 PM
To make the player invisible, use change transparent flag and set it to transparency. When the intro is over, change the transparent flag to visible. That should do the trick.

Oh, thank you very much :D.

But I still have the second question, how do I change the player's sprite in game?

Cilerba
March 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi, would it be possible to edit the Dependency Script so it is a little bit more like a Caterpillar system? The movement seems...odd, to me.

Dark_Soull
March 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
there is any way to change the mini of player in the game, say such in an event?

thanks in advance

Mrchewy
March 31st, 2010, 06:58 PM
KingCharizard, thanks a ton for your help man. With the movement animation though, I said that I wasn't talking about movement speed, but the frequency at which players animate (i.e., how often the charset picture moves to the next frame). I've already toyed around with the movement speed values. What I want to do is increase the rate at which players and events animate without touching the speed at which they move.

As for the jumping animation, I kind of see what you're saying. However, the problem with this is that, nothing is actually happening while the hero is in mid-air. I tried readjusting it like you suggested, and it fixed the bug where the hero's sprite doesn't change back, but now it just appears as if nothing is happening at all (since the sprite didn't change when the hero was in mid-air in the first place).

Could anyone give me any suggestions where to go from here?

KitsuneKouta
March 31st, 2010, 07:53 PM
pbItemDrop only returns true or false. It doesn't return an item. I'm not sure what the point of it is. In fact, I can't even see how it works.

Try something like this:

def pbItemDrop
itemlist=[
PBItems::POTION,
PBItems::SUPERPOTION,
PBItems::RARECANDY
]
return itemlist[rnd(itemlist.length)]
end
Then the second bit of code looks something like this:

itemgained=pbItemDrop
if @internalbattle
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} found a {2}!",self.pbPlayer.name,PBItems.getName(itemgained))
end

With some minor edits I got it working perfectly now. The point of it is to make pokemon drop items after battle randomly, sort of like money when using the move payday (which is what gave me the idea to try it). It's a common RPG element, and one that I was kind of missing in Pokemon games. I also made it to where you don't always get an item, and instead there's a 20% chance. I also went into more depth and created two arrays, one for rare items and one for common items. Then a random number is generated and if it is within a certain range, the rare item array is used instead of the common item array (otherwise rare items appear at the same rate as common ones).

@Dark_Soull: to change your player graphic in battle, you will need to use pbChangePlayer(). The number in the () determines which character you become (0 is the default for male, and 1 is the default for female, 3 and 4 have to be defined by you, and anything higher will require a little bit of scripting). You basically have two extra slots that you can use to change your player (when you change your player this way, it's still "you," just to clarify that), and you can open the Editor.exe and choose set metadata. The select global and set the player C and D fields (which are used by pbChangePlayer(2) and pbChangePlayer(3) respectively).

@Mrchewy: I don't know if this is helpful or not, but maybe you can try setting your graphic to change right before you jump, instead of when jumping. Try looking where jumping is handled, and right before the script that actually says to jump, add a switch that returns true (unless you can use the changeplayer somehow in the middle of the script, then do that). When the switch is true, a script should run that changes the player graphic. Since you already fixed it to where you change back after jumping, you don't even have to worry about that. I might have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to give you an idea of how the logic might work.

Here's a rough example:

facingTag=Kernel.pbFacingTerrainTag()
if(facingTag==PBTerrain::Ledge) # ledge terrain tag
if Kernel.pbJumpToward(2,true)
change player graphic here, or turn on switch that changes graphic elsewhere
$game_player.increase_steps
$game_player.check_event_trigger_here([1,2])
end
Also, can anybody tell me how to display the exp bar in the summary menu? It never changes, and I can't seem to figure out how it's displayed in battle, only how it's animated.

Maruno
April 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM
KingCharizard, thanks a ton for your help man. With the movement animation though, I said that I wasn't talking about movement speed, but the frequency at which players animate (i.e., how often the charset picture moves to the next frame). I've already toyed around with the movement speed values. What I want to do is increase the rate at which players and events animate without touching the speed at which they move.

As for the jumping animation, I kind of see what you're saying. However, the problem with this is that, nothing is actually happening while the hero is in mid-air. I tried readjusting it like you suggested, and it fixed the bug where the hero's sprite doesn't change back, but now it just appears as if nothing is happening at all (since the sprite didn't change when the hero was in mid-air in the first place).

Could anyone give me any suggestions where to go from here?
The player's sprite is changed while fishing. It doesn't need any switches, it's just one line that changes the sprite sheet. Look it up (in PokemonField), and see if you can adapt it for your jumping.

I would suggest you try doing your fiddling in "pbLedge" in PokemonField - change the graphic near the beginning of that def (just before the call to pbJumpToward), and change it back at the end. The reason is that the entire jump movement itself is all done by pbJumpToward. Note you should only change the player's graphic if they're actually facing a ledge at the time.

Also, can anybody tell me how to display the exp bar in the summary menu? It never changes, and I can't seem to figure out how it's displayed in battle, only how it's animated.
As I see it, everything else about experience is displayed fine (i.e. all the numbers). It's just the bar itself that doesn't exist.

I was about to suggest you have a look at how the HP bar is done, but I don't think there's a HP bar either. Here's the code to display the EXP bar:

overlay.fill_rect(300,200,(pokemon.exp-startexp)*100/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(0,142,142)) if pokemon.level<100
overlay.fill_rect(300,200,(pokemon.exp-startexp)*100/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(102,216,255)) if pokemon.level<100
The green numbers are the coordinates of the bar (specifically, the top left corner of it). The red number is the width of the bar. This code goes in the appropriate place in PokemonSummary (obviously).

For bonus points, you can go back into PokeBattle_ActualScene and search for "fill_rect". You'll find it.

zgillis
April 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Neat. I'm downloading now.

KitsuneKouta
April 1st, 2010, 08:39 AM
As I see it, everything else about experience is displayed fine (i.e. all the numbers). It's just the bar itself that doesn't exist.

I was about to suggest you have a look at how the HP bar is done, but I don't think there's a HP bar either. Here's the code to display the EXP bar:

overlay.fill_rect(300,200,(pokemon.exp-startexp)*100/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(0,142,142)) if pokemon.level<100
overlay.fill_rect(300,200,(pokemon.exp-startexp)*100/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(102,216,255)) if pokemon.level<100
The green numbers are the coordinates of the bar (specifically, the top left corner of it). The red number is the width of the bar. This code goes in the appropriate place in PokemonSummary (obviously).

For bonus points, you can go back into PokeBattle_ActualScene and search for "fill_rect". You'll find it.
It worked perfectly, thanks.

Rickyboy
April 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Just a quick question that may have been answered already, but I didn't see it yet, and that is if this kit works for Rpg maker VX? I originally downloaded rpg maker xp but it wouldn't work with my vista that I have(unless I did something else wrong), so I had to get VX. Its not really a big deal if it works or not, I just wanted to try this out.

lalo0101
April 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Just a quick question that may have been answered already, but I didn't see it yet, and that is if this kit works for Rpg maker VX? I originally downloaded rpg maker xp but it wouldn't work with my vista that I have(unless I did something else wrong), so I had to get VX. Its not really a big deal if it works or not, I just wanted to try this out.

its for xp it says it in the name of the thread

Alliehj
April 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Pokemon Essentials is for RMXP only, and why doesnt it work on Vista? It works on my laptop that uses Vista ^,^

Rickyboy
April 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
its for xp it says it in the name of the thread

Thanks genius, I can figure that out, thats why I explained in my post I tried to use XP first but it wouldn't work. Vx doesn't include many changes either, and most programs like it, such as game maker allow you to use programs of previous versions.

Pokemon Essentials is for RMXP only, and why doesnt it work on Vista? It works on my laptop that uses Vista ^,^

Whenever I would start it up after downloading and installing everything, it would immediately say it it couldn't find the trial version serial number for some ntitles thing.

incognito322
April 1st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Okay, the first section of the script in Pokemon Utilities has to do with the day and night tinting. Does anyone know what hours the numbers shown represent? I was hoping to change the tint colors to something less harsh...

KitsuneKouta
April 1st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks genius, I can figure that out, thats why I explained in my post I tried to use XP first but it wouldn't work. Vx doesn't include many changes either, and most programs like it, such as game maker allow you to use programs of previous versions.
The kit has RGSS2 compatability, which is what VX uses. It does not, however, actually work in VX. In other words, you can use the RGSS2 player (the game.exe) to play it, but you can't actually use it to make a game in VX. However, I did some looking around some time ago and someone was trying to convert it for use in VX, so maybe they have it finished by now or something.

Cilerba
April 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hi, would it be possible to edit the Dependency Script so it is a little bit more like a Caterpillar system? The movement seems...odd, to me.

Any help on this question?

carmaniac
April 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM

Whenever I would start it up after downloading and installing everything, it would immediately say it it couldn't find the trial version serial number for some ntitles thing.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVkA1FM-fw It will help you solve that problem for vista, which it does work as I've already had to do it.

thepsynergist
April 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM

Right click, and Run as Administrator...

Rickyboy
April 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
The kit has RGSS2 compatability, which is what VX uses. It does not, however, actually work in VX. In other words, you can use the RGSS2 player (the game.exe) to play it, but you can't actually use it to make a game in VX. However, I did some looking around some time ago and someone was trying to convert it for use in VX, so maybe they have it finished by now or something.

I just noticed that thread myself a few hours ago, but it seemed like it was too difficult for people to do.

Watch this video: It will help you solve that problem for vista, which it does work as I've already had to do it.

Thanks a lot, it finally works(which frankly was annoying more than actually using it).

Right click, and Run as Administrator...

Thanks!

Soul.//Silver
April 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM

This tutorial tells you how to get rid of that ntitles serial number error.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=165326

KitsuneKouta
April 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
I have a bit of an odd question, and it likely won't have a simple solution. When defining trainers to set up trainer battles, you select their pokemon and their levels. Would it be possible to make the levels more dynamic, where they would be adjusted to, say, the average level of your party? If that much is possible, then it would be a small step to something like your party's average + 5 levels, and so on. This would help keep the difficulty consistent, and could punish players who over-level a single pokemon.

Valora17
April 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Does the layer on which you place a tile effect the movement of the player? Cause I usually put my houses on Layer 2 and then put nothing over them but when I was playing today I realized that I could still walk through the houses even though I turned the O into an X in the tileset. :/ Help?

KitsuneKouta
April 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
Does the layer on which you place a tile effect the movement of the player? Cause I usually put my houses on Layer 2 and then put nothing over them but when I was playing today I realized that I could still walk through the houses even though I turned the O into an X in the tileset. :/ Help?
It shouldn't matter whether they're on the 2nd or 3rd layer, but make sure that there are no invisible tiles over them that are passable.

Maruno
April 2nd, 2010, 05:55 AM
I have a bit of an odd question, and it likely won't have a simple solution. When defining trainers to set up trainer battles, you select their pokemon and their levels. Would it be possible to make the levels more dynamic, where they would be adjusted to, say, the average level of your party? If that much is possible, then it would be a small step to something like your party's average + 5 levels, and so on. This would help keep the difficulty consistent, and could punish players who over-level a single pokemon.
It's possible, yes, if a little involved. There's a part of the scripts that loads a trainer's Pokémon and sets their levels - all you'd have to do would be to insert a formula in there rather than the line "set level equal to whatever it is in the trainers.txt file".

You'd have to come up with a decent formula, though. To take the average level of the player's party seems a good start, but what if the player just levels up one Pokémon and fills up their party with Level 2 Pidgey? The average of one Level 100 Pokémon and the rest filler is about Level 18 - the one Pokémon they've been training can wipe anything out.

How about taking the average of the three highest Level Pokémon in the party? How about adding a random number to that level, for variety? How about doing all that, and then taking whichever is the greater of that calculated number and whatever number is in pokemon.txt (so the trainer's Pokémon don't end up being really weak)?

It'd be tough to come up with a decent formula that wouldn't make things unfair or too easy. And then you might have a problem with the species being used, e.g. a way overleveled Rattata or an impossibly weak Rhydon. A fix that changes the species used would be very complicated indeed.

Remember that once you can do this to enemy trainers' Pokémon, though, it's almost trivial to do it to wild Pokémon as well.

~Frozen Darkness~
April 2nd, 2010, 07:04 AM
I have two questions:

1. How can I change a species into a different one? This might be misleading, so I'll give an example:

Basically, I have an event that when you talk to it, it will check if a Deoxys, for example, is the first in a party. That's the easy part.

Then, if true, I want Deoxys to change into a different Pokemon, say a different form (which I have a way of doing, very tedious, though)

2. What is the internal dex number of a Pokemon and how can I set one for a Pokemon?

:) Thanks in advance! :)

incognito322
April 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Again... the first section of the script in Pokemon Utilities has to do with the day and night tinting. Does anyone know what hours the numbers shown represent? Like the #0, #16, #32 and so on? I was hoping to change the tint colors to something less harsh...

poccil
April 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
incognito322:

The numbers represent values from 0 through 255. They don't represent specific hours of the day, but represent the amount of shade the sun gives. The values range from 0 for full night, to 255 for full day.

incognito322
April 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Ah thank you :) this helps. Please excuse the repeat post.

VEGET@
April 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
How i can do a npc what do something when i appears in X map and later do other stuff???
Sorry for my bad english

BlitŻ
April 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM

This is a good idea. However, it would take away the leveling curve and an changing amount of difficulty that a game has to make combat fun :P

KitsuneKouta
April 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
This is a good idea. However, it would take away the leveling curve and an changing amount of difficulty that a game has to make combat fun :P
I figure I'll keep the wild pokemon progressively stronger, so that you'll have to level up just to get to further areas. Also, I might try to make it vary between two different types of trainers. If it is a gym leader or elite four or something, make all of the pokemon the same level as your strongest pokemon + 5 levels or so. That way, if your team is unbalanced and relies heavily on one high level pokemon, it likely won't survive more than a couple of the opponent's pokemon. If you team is balanced, however, you could expect to fight opponents at your exact level, which tends to be fairly difficult. This way, you can't over level for gym leaders, etc., so that you will always have a challenge. Then for common trainers, make it the same as your highest level pokemon. It'll probably require a little more depth than that, but it's the basic idea. I am not opposed to trying this for wild pokemon as well. In fact, it would make the wild battles more challenging (although there is the problem with over-leveled basic pokemon Maruno mentioned). In this way, you could TRY to do a low level playthrough, but all of the pokemon would give a fair amount of experience, as well as a challenge, making it nearly impossible not to reach high levels by endgame (although repels could be a nuisance in this regard). In order to prevent any workarounds, I'll try to set a minimum level for different trainers and gym leaders pokemon (this part would become quite involved to script), that way you will be required to meet a minimum.

poccil
April 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
In response to the request for balanced levels, I've made a function that generates a suggested level for opponents based on the levels of the player's Pokemon. The code follows:

def pbBalancedLevel(party)
return 5 if party.length==0
# Calculate the mean of all levels
sum=0
party.each{|p| sum+=p.level }
return 5 if sum==0
average=sum.to_f/party.length.to_f
# Calculate the standard deviation
varianceTimesN=0
for i in 0...party.length
deviation=party[i].level-average
varianceTimesN+=deviation*deviation
end
stdev=Math.sqrt(varianceTimesN/party.length)
mean=0
weights=[]
# Skew weights according to standard
# deviation
weight=party[i].level.to_f/sum.to_f
if weight<0.5
weight-=(stdev/100.0)
weight=0.001 if weight<=0.001
else
weight+=(stdev/100.0)
weight=0.999 if weight>=0.999
end
weights.push(weight)
end
weightSum=0
weights.each{|weight| weightSum+=weight }
# Calculate the weighted mean, assigning
# each weight to each level's contribution
# to the sum
mean+=party[i].level*weights[i]
end
mean/=weightSum
# Round to nearest number
mean=mean.round
# Add 2 to the mean to challenge
# the player
mean+=2
# Adjust level to minimum and maximum
mean=1 if mean<1
if mean>PBExperience::MAXLEVEL
mean=PBExperience::MAXLEVEL
end
return mean
end

Here's how code would use this function:

balancedLevel = pbBalancedLevel($Trainer.party)

VEGET@
April 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
How i can do the " ! " symbol for me and/or for other npc.

See image

Good bye

KitsuneKouta
April 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
In response to the request for balanced levels, I've made a function that generates a suggested level for opponents based on the levels of the player's Pokemon. The code follows:

def pbBalancedLevel(party)
return 5 if party.length==0
# Calculate the mean of all levels
sum=0
party.each{|p| sum+=p.level }
return 5 if sum==0
average=sum.to_f/party.length.to_f
# Calculate the standard deviation
varianceTimesN=0
deviation=party[i].level-average
varianceTimesN+=deviation*deviation
end
stdev=Math.sqrt(varianceTimesN/party.length)
mean=0
weights=[]
# Skew weights according to standard
# deviation
weight=party[i].level.to_f/sum.to_f
if weight<0.5
weight-=(stdev/100.0)
weight=0.001 if weight<=0.001
else
weight+=(stdev/100.0)
weight=0.999 if weight>=0.999
end
weights.push(weight)
end
weightSum=0
weights.each{|weight| weightSum+=weight }
# Calculate the weighted mean, assigning
# each weight to each level's contribution
# to the sum
mean+=party[i].level*weights[i]
end
mean/=weightSum
# Round to nearest number
mean=mean.round
# Add 2 to the mean to challenge
# the player
mean+=2
# Adjust level to minimum and maximum
mean=1 if mean<1
if mean>PBExperience::MAXLEVEL
mean=PBExperience::MAXLEVEL
end
return mean
end
Here's how code would use this function:

balancedLevel = pbBalancedLevel($Trainer.party)

Thanks Poccil, I'll try it out. Also, I found that to actually change the opponents level automatically (to have the script modify it to the specified amount regardless of what you set it at in the editor), you actually to make an edit to PokemonTrainers, not PokemonScreen. I found that Pokemon screen would only change it when you specified the level, and would only change it in regards to current circumstance, never adjust for future changes. By editing PokemonTrainers, it is automatic.

@VEGET@: Select the Show Animation command in an event, and choose EM Exclamation.

EDIT: Poccil, I tried it and it worked great, however it only pitted me against pokemon equal to my highest level. Using the script you provided, I think I can change it up a little and make the opponents randomly have pokemon up to five levels lower or higher.

xblaze1234
April 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew how to change it so that when you use the running shoes that your sprites auctually changes into a running sprite instead of just walking fast?

Mrchewy
April 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew how to change it so that when you use the running shoes that your sprites auctually changes into a running sprite instead of just walking fast?

In metadata.txt, replace the second last entry of Player A or B, with the filename of your running sprite minus the extension. For example, the male player (PlayerA) has "Red" set by default; if you had a running sprite called "running.png", then you would replace the second last "Red" with "running".

I'm probably in over my head here, but would it be possible to modify the Perspective script to support tile priorities, or to an extension, upper-layer support? In other words, how do I make layers 2 and 3 appear 'flat' (i.e buildings and trees)?

xblaze1234
April 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Thank you, but auctually I was asking if you could change it so that when you pushed b (well in this case z) that your sprite would change from walking to running and then once you let go the sprite goes back to normal like in a normal pokemon game

also to anyone who knows how do you change the color of the text in battle?

Mrchewy
April 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Xblaze1234, read what I said carefully. I know what you meant; I told you how to do this. By default, "Red" is used for everything, giving the illusion that Essentials doesn't support running sprites (when it actually does). The second last entry in PlayerA is for the running sprite. Changing this value will do exactly what you want it to do.

As for changing battle text colors, in Pokemon_ActualScene search for the beginning of the "PokeBattle_Scene" class. There's a whole heap of values you can edit to change colors, positions, etc. Here's an exerpt:

class PokeBattle_Scene

USECOMMANDBOX=false # If true, expects a file named Graphics/Pictures/commandbox.png
USEFIGHTBOX=false # If true, expects a file named Graphics/Pictures/fightbox.png
MESSAGEBASECOLOR=Color.new(82,82,90)
MESSAGESHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(165,165,173)
MENUBASECOLOR=Color.new(82,82,90)
MENUSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(165,165,173)
BOXTEXTBASECOLOR=Color.new(55,49,41)
BOXTEXTSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(165,173,148)

I'm using an older version of Essentials, but I believe this part should be the same in yours.

xblaze1234
April 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Ok I figured out the running sprites but sadly I dont have that file in my version of the starter kit for the text color change...

alright never mind I think I can manage to figure that one out but now to something that I have been very cerious about...what script would you have to write to make a pokemon follow you? and how do you put places on a custom map (for fly and such)

Mrchewy
April 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Xblaze1234, you do have that script on your version of Essentials, assuming you are using the latest version. I just downloaded the latest one and checked; its all there. Check lines 185 onwards in Pokemon_ActualScene.

As for a Pokémon follow script, there was one posted here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=202478) a while ago.

Editing the town map is incredibly simple, and is covered in the notes - which I really suggest you read thoroughly. It's usually as simple as usign townmapgen.html.

xblaze1234
April 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM
But you see I cant find Pokemon_ActualScene anywhere even when I search it so it must be under a different file name. Also thank you for helping me with all of this I am new to this kind of thing I would think that these are some pretty dumb questions...

Maruno
April 4th, 2010, 06:12 AM
But you see I cant find Pokemon_ActualScene anywhere even when I search it so it must be under a different file name. Also thank you for helping me with all of this I am new to this kind of thing I would think that these are some pretty dumb questions...
It's not a file, it's a script section. Press F11 while you're in RPG Maker XP, and a window will pop up with all the scripts in it. On the left is a list of all the script sections - PokeBattle_ActualScene is one of those sections (about halfway down).

I must warn you, though, that if you don't even know this much then trying to edit the scripts is a really dangerous thing to do.

KitsuneKouta
April 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'm probably in over my head here, but would it be possible to modify the Perspective script to support tile priorities, or to an extension, upper-layer support? In other words, how do I make layers 2 and 3 appear 'flat' (i.e buildings and trees)?
I saw a script like that recently, but can't remember what it was called. It was supposed to be perspective, support priorities, and also "spinning" the map (like in FFT), for a view from different directions. If I come across it again, I'll let you know.

Crazyninjaguy
April 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think you mean Mode07 :)
I've tried implementing that before, but i failed lol.
Maybe i'll give it another go soon.

Valora17
April 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Two questions:

1) Is there an easy way to add in the Sinnoh attacks? I realized that THAT was the problem I had before >> I was trying to use those without them being in the other PBS files.

EDIT: And on moves such as Gyro Ball (which change in accordance to opponents speed) which Special Damage # is to be used? I can't find it in the list :/

xblaze1234
April 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM
hey does anyone have the script for a dual screen? or rather a way to edit it once you get it?

KitsuneKouta
April 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
hey does anyone have the script for a dual screen? or rather a way to edit it once you get it?
I believe this question has been answered several times. None of them are public, so the only way to get one is to go to someone who made it. However, unless you already have a fair quality game, or a team put together for a project, it's highly unlikely that they will give it to you.

EDIT: I lied, there is a public one. However, if you want a good one that's actually complete, then what I said above is true.

carmaniac
April 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM

*sigh* kinda bored seeing this post quite alot but it would be helpful to search no? http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=213335

xblaze1234
April 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I have the basic script (I have two screens in game) I just dont understand how to scale them down because right now they are taking up more than half my screen

carmaniac
April 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Urr.. Near the bottom of the script change this Screen.resize(485,695) to Screen.resize(240,320) Then change @sprite=IconSprite.new(0, 340) to @sprite=IconSprite.new(0, 170) though the only problem is the sprites will be really big in the screen so its advisable to keep it the same for now. I think I might make a basic version of my script and release it too.

xblaze1234
April 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
alright thank you yeah...a basic script for this would be pretty helpful

Gorbeh
April 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I have a few questions:

1. Not sure if this is a bug or what but wild Pokemon don't attack or anything. They just sit there. Trainer battles work fine. I've redownloaded the starter kit and it is still the same.

2. I'm trying to implement the Johto and Sinnoh balls. I have them all working except the Love Ball, Lure Ball and Heal Ball.
I have this for my Love Ball code:
elsif isConst?(ball,PBItems,:LOVEBALL)
rareness*=8 if !(battler.gender==self.battlers[1].gender)
Any idea what to do to get it working? And is there any way to tell if the wild Pokemon was caught on a rod? I would expect so since the backdrop changes based on environment but I'm not sure what to use to check that. Also is there any way to get the Heal Ball working so that it will restore the caught Pokemon's health? Not sure how to do that and I do kinda want to make the Luxury Ball work like it does in game. My guess is that in the part of the code that deals with happiness a checker for the Luxury Ball would allow you to give a double rate but not sure how to do any of that.

3. In the PokeDex there is a little circle and I want to implement footprints in that. I don't think it would be too hard, probably just in the PokeDex code add a display picture and arrange it so it's in the circle. And then I'd need pictures of all the footprints in the picture folder. My coding skill isn't all that great so I really don't think I could figure out how to do this so any help would be appreciated.

4. Is there any way to make it so that Pokemon with different forms (Unown, Castform, Deoxys, Burmy, Wormadam, Cherrim, Shellos, Gastrodon, Rotom, Giratina, Shaymin, Arceus) to have different forms in game? It wouldn't be hard to make new Pokemon starting at 494 but their PokeDex ID would be 494+.

Anyways those are a lot of questions that aren't necessarily easy since they all involve coding but hopefully someone can help, thanks!

KingCharizard
April 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I might be wrong for saying this but i've noticed a increase of questions that are being asked here that if people tried to figure out theselves would never need to be asked... Its kinda getting annoying and I haven't been answering them I'm all about helping people but it seems alot of younger kids have found essentials...

Ok now onto my question, has anyone figured out how to change the default font color to black?

Gorbeh
April 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM
If that was directed at me that list would've been three times as long a week ago. Those questions are the only ones I haven't been able to figure out.

poccil
April 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM
My latest update to Pokemon Essentials implements alternate forms. However, graphics for each form are not included. But I've revised the alternate forms section of the notes to specify what those alternate forms looks like.

The game system does not keep track of whether a Pokemon has been fished.

Gorbeh
April 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Thank you much! The update also fixed the wild Pokemon issue. I'm new here but I just want to say I greatly appreciate all the work you've done!

As for the rod is there anyway to turn on a switch when a battle starts via the OldRod, GoodRod, or SuperRod encounter types and off if it's any other type? Would I add something in PokemonEncounters?

KitsuneKouta
April 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Ok now onto my question, has anyone figured out how to change the default font color to black?
If you're referring to changing ALL of the text in game to black, then you would have to go to every script that a font color is defined, and make it black. There is no universal font that is or could be applied to all of the in-game fonts.

poccil
April 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Gorbeh:

The script section PokemonField contains a method called "pbEncounter". Modify that method to this:

def pbEncounter(enctype)
if $PokemonGlobal.partner
encounter1=$PokemonEncounters.pbEncounteredPokemon(enctype)
return false if !encounter1
encounter2=$PokemonEncounters.pbEncounteredPokemon(enctype)
return false if !encounter2
$PokemonTemp.encounterType=enctype
pbDoubleWildBattle(encounter1[0],encounter1[1],
encounter2[0],encounter2[1])
$PokemonTemp.encounterType=-1
return true
else
encounter=$PokemonEncounters.pbEncounteredPokemon(enctype)
return false if !encounter
$PokemonTemp.encounterType=enctype
pbWildBattle(encounter[0],encounter[1])
$PokemonTemp.encounterType=-1
return true
end
end

And add the following to the script:

class PokemonTemp
attr_accessor :encounterType
end

Then you can check whether the Pokemon was fished by checking the value of $PokemonTemp.encounterType.

Mrchewy
April 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Yes, thanks to poccil. I'm surprised I missed it, to be honest. Contrary to popular belief, changing global text colors is actually relatively simple.

In PokemonMessages, search for this:

isDarkSkin ? "<c2=7FFF5EF7>" : "<c2=318c675a>",

The first group of colors (7FFF and 5EF7) are colors for for the text when the message box is white. The second group of colors are for darker windowskins.

To change text color for choice boxes, menu text, etc. search for this in SpriteWindow:

LIGHTTEXTBASE=Color.new(31*8,31*8,31*8)
LIGHTTEXTSHADOW=Color.new(23*8,23*8,23*8)
DARKTEXTBASE=Color.new(12*8,12*8,12*8)
DARKTEXTSHADOW=Color.new(26*8,26*8,25*8)

Changing all of these values covers about 80% of in-game text.

Edit: Welcome back poccil! I'm amazed at the continued development of the Starter Kit. Keep up the amazing work.

Vociferocity
April 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know where I can edit the egg scripts? I need to change it so that instead of hatching automatically, it'll create a little text box thing all "your egg is ready to hatch! time to take it to X", and then once you're at X, you manually start the hatching process.....but I have no idea how to do that, or even where to start mucking around with the code. Any hints?

Poison Master
April 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Wow, this has made alot of great games, I thank you for making this, it will help me make mine as well.

timcard30
April 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Can you insert HGSS and PL tiles?

KitsuneKouta
April 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been asked, but after some extensive searching I still can't find the answer. There is a ME for trainer intros (when they first see you, before battle), but it will play through until it finishes, delaying the battle music. I tried some obvious things, like pbMEStop(), but that doesn't stop it. Any ideas?

KingCharizard
April 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
If you're referring to changing ALL of the text in game to black, then you would have to go to every script that a font color is defined, and make it black. There is no universal font that is or could be applied to all of the in-game fonts.

Yeah I figured as much that seems like a huge hassle dunno if I'll do it...

thepsynergist
April 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been asked, but after some extensive searching I still can't find the answer. There is a ME for trainer intros (when they first see you, before battle), but it will play through until it finishes, delaying the battle music. I tried some obvious things, like pbMEStop(), but that doesn't stop it. Any ideas?

I've had this same issue. I made a temp fix if you want to use it.

Start with this code on the event screen.

-Play the background music that is currently playing with a volume setting of 0.
-Place your ME files that are the trainer intros and place them in your SE folder.
-Play your trainer intro file directly under the previous BGM file so it reads like this.

Play BGM: 'file', 0, 100
Play SE: 'trainerintro', 80, 100

-Have the event as normal, but at the end of the event play the same BGM file with with either 80 or 100 volume, which ever you choose.

So finally you should get an event like this:

Play BGM: 'file', 0, 100
Play SE: 'trainerintro', 80, 100
Script: pbTrainerIntro(:YOUNGSTER)
Script: Kernal.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
Text: Let's Fight!
Stop SE
Conditional Branch: Script:pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER,"Bob",_I("..."),false,0)
Control Self Switch: A=ON

Branch End
Script: pbTrainerEnd
Play BGM: 'file', 100, 100

Just note that with this, the intro will not loop. It will play once. Also, i don't know if it matters that there is a midi in the SE folder, but it shouldn't matter, just convert your file to either an mp3 or wav. I hope this helps.

Also, I noticed that when I made my credits screen that it infinitely repeats. When I make a switch to prevent it from repeating, the credits play for 0 seconds (i.e, doesn't play or wait for credits to finish), and the switch activates. How do I make it so that the switch doesn't turn on until after the credits finish?

KitsuneKouta
April 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
@thepsynergist: I figured it would be something like use SE instead of ME, but converting MIDIs never seems to go very well, and SE won't use MIDIs. However, I did some messing around and found a simpler and better fix. Go to PokemonTrainers line 307. It should say trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty). On the line below it, simply put pbMEStop(). This stops the ME immediately after the text, and the battle music starts normally.

EDIT: I think you'll like this better. Instead of the abrupt stop, this will make it fade nicely:
Audio.me_fade(2500). It would be even better if the battle bgm started sooner. If you know how to change that, let me know.

One more thing: with the move payday, you receive money when @internalbattle and @moneygained>0. However, it will only display {trainername} picked up ${money} in a wild battle. How does it tell the difference between the trainer battle and wild battle, when both use @internalbattle? The @internalbattle also applies to trainers, which creates a minor problem with my item drop script.

SpawnHyuuga
April 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Message: undefined local variable or method `i' for #<Window_AdvancedCommandPokemon:0x5245b60>
SpriteWindow:3187:in `drawItem'
SpriteWindow:3014:in `refresh'
SpriteWindow:3010:in `each'
SpriteWindow:3010:in `refresh'
SpriteWindow:2991:in `baseColor='
SpriteWindow:3126:in `initialize'
PokemonStorage:2100:in `new'
PokemonStorage:2100:in `pbMark'
PokemonStorage:244:in `pbMark'
PokemonStorage:587:in `pbStartScreen'

Any idea what this means, I tried adding some new marks for Pokemon in the script, but I didn't think it would crash...?

Maruno
April 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Each cave map has an exit point associated with it, for the use of Escape Rope and Dig. Is there a way to set the exit point to be where you entered the cave, rather than having it set depending on the map you Dig from?

For example, I have a cave with two entrances. If I set the exit point to one of these entrances, then when going backwards through it I can just take one step inside, use an Escape Rope and jump to the other entrance.

Alternatively, if I set the maps to use the "whichever is closer" entrance, then I can skip the last portion of the cave once I get close enough to that entrance. So that's not a solution.

KitsuneKouta
April 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Each cave map has an exit point associated with it, for the use of Escape Rope and Dig. Is there a way to set the exit point to be where you entered the cave, rather than having it set depending on the map you Dig from?

For example, I have a cave with two entrances. If I set the exit point to one of these entrances, then when going backwards through it I can just take one step inside, use an Escape Rope and jump to the other entrance.

Alternatively, if I set the maps to use the "whichever is closer" entrance, then I can skip the last portion of the cave once I get close enough to that entrance. So that's not a solution.
This probably isn't much help, but maybe you could try looking at how the Pokemon Center respawn works. It manages to remember the last Pokemon Center you visited, and then sends you to that particular one upon defeat. If you find the part that determines the last used Pokemon Center, you should be able to adapt it without too much trouble. You may have to make a check for PBEnviromnet::Cave where dig and escape ropes are handled, and instead of pokecenterMapID=game_map.map_id, make a new one called something like enterCave.

Mrchewy
April 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah I figured as much that seems like a huge hassle dunno if I'll do it...

Read my post on the last page. Its certainly doable, and not too difficult at all.

VEGET@
April 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
How i can change the battle background dpends of the time??

thepsynergist
April 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I can't seem to get the intro ME's to play at all...even in the latest Pokemon essentials build...can anyone see if its working for them? I'm stumped....

KitsuneKouta
April 6th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I can't seem to get the intro ME's to play at all...even in the latest Pokemon essentials build...can anyone see if its working for them? I'm stumped....
Try leaving the area and going to somewhere that the bgm starts, or a wild battle. For some reason, I often won't get any music to start until I battle or change maps, which is fairly annoying.

gsorby
April 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out. Something wrong with my types. When I go against A Pokémon with two types, for example a Spiritomb, his secondary type is dark. When I use a Bug move, it's super-effective. When I use a Ghost move, its not very effective. It does it on all pokemon. It's the secondary type that it recognizes. Any help would be great. Thanks, Gsorby.

thepsynergist
April 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Try leaving the area and going to somewhere that the bgm starts, or a wild battle. For some reason, I often won't get any music to start until I battle or change maps, which is fairly annoying.

Okay, I got the intro ME to play by playing it as an event command, but now the trainer battle theme doesn't start... Any idea?

KitsuneKouta
April 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Okay, I got the intro ME to play by playing it as an event command, but now the trainer battle theme doesn't start... Any idea?
I honestly don't know. I've had so many sound related problems, from bgm never playing, bgm not changing between maps, ME not playing because bgm IS playing, that I decided to ignore everything sound-related until I finished the rest of my game. I would be interested in seeing what someone comes up with for a solution to your problem though, since it might help with other sound issues.

thepsynergist
April 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
At least I know that my temp fix works great. Use it if you don't wanna mess with more scripts. Another trick to fixing it is to not use midis. Apparently when I use Pokemon Essentials, the first time a midi runs thru, it doesn't play. It was fixed for me by using waves and mp3's.

Pokemonforeva
April 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=chaostres403;5652178]I'm pretty sure that they haven't modified it at all but are using the 3/15 release which seems to have that error, because I get it too without editing it.

Yes exactly what was going on I have now downloaded the 4/3 release which seems to have fixed that bug.

SpawnHyuuga
April 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Just a quick request Poccil, any chance you can add a section to your Pokemon Essentials website, dubbed 'Change Logs (for Idiots)' - for those of us who lack the knowledge of knowing what all those scripting words mean. XD

I would appreciate knowing if it's imperative that I upgrade or not especially when you've got a new build available. Great work though.

EDIT: Is it possible to flash something similar or equal to a new town location in the Top Left Corner? If my game is going to be 'large' and more than 999 maps is not possible, then I need to merge maps, right? If that is true, then I would still like to have it pop up in the top-left when you move locations in-game but are still on the same map otherwise.

xblaze1234
April 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
alright Ive got three questions
1. is there any way to change pokemon encounters during the day and during the night?
2. when you battle someone and it shows the pokeballs in the upper left and lower right had corner is there a way to make it look like from diamond/peral (bigger more detailed) without the spacing compleatly messing up?
3. When ever I try to make a poke'center the tile setting always revert back to the original settings making it possible to walk through everything...any ideas?

also is there any way to show in the begging when you are picking boy or girl a running sprite like is platinum?

KitsuneKouta
April 6th, 2010, 06:33 PM
alright Ive got three questions
1. is there any way to change pokemon encounters during the day and during the night?
2. when you battle someone and it shows the pokeballs in the upper left and lower right had corner is there a way to make it look like from diamond/peral (bigger more detailed) without the spacing compleatly messing up?
3. When ever I try to make a poke'center the tile setting always revert back to the original settings making it possible to walk through everything...any ideas?

also is there any way to show in the begging when you are picking boy or girl a running sprite like is platinum?

1. By "change," do you mean setting the encounters in the first place? It can be done in the editor under Set Encounters. You can define land, water, day, night, etc.
2. To change the graphic to the diamond/pearl version, you need to replace the graphics (the obvious part), and then if it doesn't fit right, find whatever script controls the coordinates of the graphic, and changed it accordingly.
3. I'm not sure about this one. I'm sure you did this, but just to make sure you should always hit OK whenever you make changes in the database. I think I've heard of this problem before, but I haven't personally dealt with it.
4. This one is a little more involved, but definitely not hard. You will need a graphic for every frame of the running animation for starters. Now, you will have to modify the intro event so that it will have a Show Picture (the running sprite) for every frame in order in a conditional branch. If the condition is true (i.e. boy was chosen), then it should display this graphic (you should put it before it asks you to confirm, so that you can cancel after seeing the animation). Above, where I said to put every frame of the image in order, this actually creates the illusion of an animation by showing the pictures in sequence (you will have to loop it, or else it will only play once and then stop).

@SpawnHyuuga: You need more than 999 maps? That's kind of crazy...I like your green LD giraffe thing by the way...

Fangking Omega
April 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, strange error here and I wonder if anyone can help me out.

Using the ability to have Events named RegularTone bypass the screen tone changes depending on the time of day, I've set up windows and lights using character sets.

For the mostpart this is ok, but there are a few glitches.

Sometimes, if I've entered a city from the north (the route map joined to the city map), the RegularTone events are 1 pixel higher than they should be. This is not the case if I enter from the east or west.

Secondly, some lights "follow" me if I walk away from them. Here's an example.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy241/CaptainLibrary/Error1.png
Pokémon Center is fine, right?

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy241/CaptainLibrary/Error2.png
If I walk north, it starts following me. It'll stay in the bottom of the screen until I'm far enough along the north route to not see any part of this city anymore. But if I walk back towards the city, it reappears in the bottom of the screen until the Center is in view again and it will snap to where it's supposed to be. This happens in various cities with various lights and windows (but not all). It makes no difference if I have fewer or more events present on the map.

KitsuneKouta
April 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, strange error here and I wonder if anyone can help me out.

Using the ability to have Events named RegularTone bypass the screen tone changes depending on the time of day, I've set up windows and lights using character sets.

For the mostpart this is ok, but there are a few glitches.

Sometimes, if I've entered a city from the north (the route map joined to the city map), the RegularTone events are 1 pixel higher than they should be. This is not the case if I enter from the east or west.

Secondly, some lights "follow" me if I walk away from them. Here's an example.

Pokémon Center is fine, right?

If I walk north, it starts following me. It'll stay in the bottom of the screen until I'm far enough along the north route to not see any part of this city anymore. But if I walk back towards the city, it reappears in the bottom of the screen until the Center is in view again and it will snap to where it's supposed to be. This happens in various cities with various lights and windows (but not all). It makes no difference if I have fewer or more events present on the map.
I'm curious about this as well, as I have a similar problem. I noticed it with oversized characters (like a giant Giratina, or a train), where a piece of the graphic cannot leave the edge of the screen, and jumps to it's original place when you walk back to it's original location. I found in particular that if you set one of the oversized characters to move out of your field of vision, they will move until their midpoint leaves your sight, and then stop until you walk towards them, where they will then continue to move with you until finished.
Example: (please don't comment on how bad it looks right now, I've been working with other things first) The first attached image shows the train sitting at rest. On button press, it is supposed to move right 18 squares (out of sight). It moves until the origin point passes the edge of visibility, and then stops. The second attached images shows what happens if I move. The image "moves," by remaining in the exact spot it stopped on the screen, and stays there (in relation to the screen, not the map itself).

Mrchewy
April 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Fangking, long time no see. Glad to see progress on Acanthite is continuing :) .

I am also using that technique for creating nighttime lights, and so far it works quite well for me; I am not experiencing that problem. I think what is causing the problem is that your event graphics are too big. How many events make up the lights in your screenshot? Try splitting them up (that's what I did - I use multiple light events per building and it works perfectly).

Vociferocity
April 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM
so in my quest to make egg hatching a manual process, I have made progress! but I'm also hopelessly lost.

so far I've got it so that instead of automatically hatching it, it comes up with a message saying "your egg is ready to hatch!" or whatever, and you actually have to go interact with a special egg hatcher thing to hatch it. this is where the problem comes in. I put a switch in the script so that you can't try to hatch it before it's hatchable, but I can't seem to get the event to interact with the hatching script. I figured I'd be able to just go 'script: pbHatch(egg)', which is what the original, automatic, hatching script said and it would just...do its thing, but clearly not!

this is the error I get when I do that, and uhh, I have no idea what it means.

Exception: RuntimeError
Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined local variable or method `egg' for #<Interpreter:0x4d9d478>
***Full script:
pbHatch(egg)

if anyone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here :(

Fangking Omega
April 7th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Fangking, long time no see. Glad to see progress on Acanthite is continuing :) .

I am also using that technique for creating nighttime lights, and so far it works quite well for me; I am not experiencing that problem. I think what is causing the problem is that your event graphics are too big. How many events make up the lights in your screenshot? Try splitting them up (that's what I did - I use multiple light events per building and it works perfectly).

Thank you for the advice, I think it'll work. The only issue with that is the larger number of events used might cause lag, especially in big cities :(

SpawnHyuuga
April 7th, 2010, 05:17 AM
@SpawnHyuuga: You need more than 999 maps? That's kind of crazy...I like your green LD giraffe thing by the way...

Meh, I don't need more than 999 maps yet ;). If my game gets the proper attention once I get rolling I might though. I found a script called "CD Changer" that apparently let's you use an infinite amount of maps it just loads different maps via a virtual cd as you need them. At least thats how I deciphered it. Was a long time ago though... Anyways could you define 'LD'? Also for anyone interested feel free to take the graphic I made it myself in an animation program, but it was just for fun. The green giraffe thing is actually a semi-llama or so that's what they call it, but his official name is Bunchie. He's an internet meme, and he has a Piplup on his back. It was either Piplup or Mudkip. I didn't care though.

Anyways to keep on topic, even though my post began on topic I'm going to go find the script and see if it could be converted to Essentials?

KitsuneKouta
April 7th, 2010, 06:48 AM
so in my quest to make egg hatching a manual process, I have made progress! but I'm also hopelessly lost.

so far I've got it so that instead of automatically hatching it, it comes up with a message saying "your egg is ready to hatch!" or whatever, and you actually have to go interact with a special egg hatcher thing to hatch it. this is where the problem comes in. I put a switch in the script so that you can't try to hatch it before it's hatchable, but I can't seem to get the event to interact with the hatching script. I figured I'd be able to just go 'script: pbHatch(egg)', which is what the original, automatic, hatching script said and it would just...do its thing, but clearly not!

this is the error I get when I do that, and uhh, I have no idea what it means.

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined local variable or method `egg' for #<Interpreter:0x4d9d478>
***Full script:
pbHatch(egg)

if anyone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here :(
Instead of using "egg," try pbHatch($Trainer.party[0]). This will hatch the first pokemon in your party. However, I need to do some more looking to figure out how to identify whether a pokemon is an egg or not, otherwise it hatches anything whether or not it's an egg.

EDIT (again): Make a conditional branch like this:
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].egg?
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].eggsteps<=1
Script: pbHatch($Trainer.party[0])
Else
Text: This egg is not ready to hatch.
Branch End
Else
Text: This is not an egg.
Branch End

The eggsteps<=1 could be changed to = 0 since you said you changed yours to display a message instead of automatically hatching (mine would have hatched before I could try it if I did that)

@SpawnHyuuga: LD is Learning Disabled, used to refer to special children or people who act like special children.

Vociferocity
April 7th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Instead of using "egg," try pbHatch($Trainer.party[0]). This will hatch the first pokemon in your party. However, I need to do some more looking to figure out how to identify whether a pokemon is an egg or not, otherwise it hatches anything whether or not it's an egg.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. Make a conditional branch like this:
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].egg?
Script: pbHatch($Trainer.party[0])
Else
Text: This is not an egg.
Branch End

...omg, thank you so much! it works perfectly! :D

KitsuneKouta
April 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM
...omg, thank you so much! it works perfectly! :D
You're welcome. I edited my post by the way, since I forgot to make it check whether or not it was ready to hatch.

Vociferocity
April 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM
You're welcome. I edited my post by the way, since I forgot to make it check whether or not it was ready to hatch.

Awesome! I had it so that you couldn't even interact with the hatcher unless you had an egg that was ready to hatch, but I something like that makes the code even more neat. thanks again :)

SpawnHyuuga
April 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM
@Kitsune: Thanks for elaborating on that for me. By chance, would you be interested in helping me with my project. I need a scripter or two and you seem like a really good guy!

This starter kit just keeps getting better and better! New scripts just about everyday from everyday users.

Does anyone have HG/SS sprites?

Vociferocity
April 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM

what kind of sprites are you looking for? pokemon overworlds, battle sprites, trainer sprites...?

KitsuneKouta
April 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
@Kitsune: Thanks for elaborating on that for me. By chance, would you be interested in helping me with my project. I need a scripter or two and you seem like a really good guy!

This starter kit just keeps getting better and better! New scripts just about everyday from everyday users.

Sure, just tell me what you need me to do. I'm still learning though, so I might not be as fast as others. I've worked with other languages, so I understand the logic pretty well, it's just the syntax and the method and class names that get me.

xblaze1234
April 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hey im back again and once again have a few quesions/requests
1. how do you change the text placement in the pokemon summary, in the battle boxes when in a battle?
2. Does anyone have HG/SS overworlds formated for rgp maker?

O and also trainer battle sprites reformated for RMXP

SpawnHyuuga
April 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Alright Kitsune. I'll keep in touch with you then by PM. If you want we have a website, but I don't know if I can share it here.

@Voc: Preferably I need battle sprites and trainers. I already have Overworlds of Pokemon from Help-14 which he included with his Caterpillar script.

lx_theo
April 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Alright Kitsune. I'll keep in touch with you then by PM. If you want we have a website, but I don't know if I can share it here.

@Voc: Preferably I need battle sprites and trainers. I already have Overworlds of Pokemon from Help-14 which he included with his Caterpillar script.

Have at it!!!

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/pokeheartgoldsoulsilver/

Most things you could need from the game there

Gorbeh
April 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm trying to make special trades, where you can trade a hard to get Pokemon for a really unique Pokemon...like three Scythers for a Pikachu that knows Surf. Anyways this is what I have so far:

def pbSurfPikachu(pokemonIndex,trainerName)
myPokemon=$Trainer.party[pokemonIndex]
opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerName,0)
opponent.setForeignID($Trainer)
yourPokemon=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(PBSpecies::PIKACHU,40,opponent)
yourPokemon.name="PUKA"
yourPokemon.obtainMode=2 # obtained in trade
yourPokemon.obtainMap=$game_map ? $game_map.map_id : 0
yourPokemon.ballused=23 #cherish ball
yourPokemon.ability=PBAbilities::SWIFTSWIM
yourPokemon.moves[0]=PBMoves::SURF
yourPokemon.moves[1]=PBMoves::VOLTTACKLE
yourPokemon.moves[2]=PBMoves::THUNDER
yourPokemon.moves[3]=PBMoves::SUBSTITUTE
$Trainer.party[pokemonIndex]=yourPokemon
end
Neither the ability nor the moves are working and are causing the game to crash so I doubt I'm using them right. If anyone knows the correct way to use them please share. Also I am unsure how to set the nature and gender.

Any assistance I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jefelin
April 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hey Guys
Anyone know how to animate sprites pokemon battles??
I got Luka´s tutorial but it doesn´t work in my project
please, can anyone help me??
I have a lot of time trying :(

Maruno
April 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to make special trades, where you can trade a hard to get Pokemon for a really unique Pokemon...like three Scythers for a Pikachu that knows Surf. Anyways this is what I have so far:

Neither the ability nor the moves are working and are causing the game to crash so I doubt I'm using them right. If anyone knows the correct way to use them please share. Also I am unsure how to set the nature and gender.

Any assistance I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Make a trade in which you give a regular Pikachu. Then immediately find that Pikachu in the player's party and change its stats/moves. The party index of that Pikachu will be the same as the index of the Pokémon you traded for it (this index is stored in a global variable as part of the trade).

Gorbeh
April 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Make a trade in which you give a regular Pikachu. Then immediately find that Pikachu in the player's party and change its stats/moves. The party index of that Pikachu will be the same as the index of the Pokémon you traded for it (this index is stored in a global variable as part of the trade).
I did that at first, both will work the same though. Mainly I just wanted to know syntax on setting moves, nature, and ability (because everything I've tried hasn't worked yet).

Maruno
April 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I did that at first, both will work the same though. Mainly I just wanted to know syntax on setting moves, nature, and ability (because everything I've tried hasn't worked yet).
The syntax you've got should work (i.e. for moves and ability). I'm just not sure why you'd make a separate def for this, when you could use the standard trading method and put in a few lines in the event afterwards modifying it. Seems simpler to me, is all (since it's a one-off thing).

Since you mentioned crashing, find the exact line that causes the problem (it's mentioned in the error message). I'm not certain, but it might be the naming line - try using "yourPokemon.name=_INTL("PUKA")" instead.

As for changing the gender, both of these are interpretations of the personal ID of that Pokémon. Use "setGender(female)", where "female" is either "true" or "false" (to make it female or male respectively). It's used just like "name" and "moves" as you've been using.

Changing the nature is more involved, and would most likely require creating a new def in PokeBattle_Pokemon (like setGender has). Remember that you can change a Pokémon's nature in debug mode; this is the code that does so:

when 4 # Set Nature
commands=[]
25.times do |i|
commands.push(PBNatures.getName(i))
end
command=@scene.pbShowCommands(_INTL("Choose a nature."),commands)
if command>=0
oldgender=pkmn.gender
2000.times do
pkmn.personalID&=0xFFFF0000
pkmn.personalID|=rand(65536)
pkmn.personalID-=pkmn.personalID%25
pkmn.personalID+=command
break if pkmn.gender==oldgender
end
pkmn.calcStats
if pkmn.nature!=command
pbDisplay(_INTL("The Pokémon's nature couldn't be changed."))
else
pbDisplay(_INTL("The Pokémon's nature was changed."))
pbRefreshSingle(pkmnid)
end
end
Tidy that up, make it accept an input of a nature's name, and that should do it. This code was taken from PokemonScreen, which displays the party screen.

Gorbeh
April 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I've decided not to mess with the nature...it really isn't that important compared to the rest. There are still two errors I'm getting.
The first is with the abilities. It crashes upon running the script:
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Section127:210:in `pbSurfPikachu'undefined method `ability=' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x907c910>
***Full script:
pbChoosePokemon(1,2,
proc {|poke|
!poke.egg? and
poke.species==PBSpecies::SCYTHER
})
pbSurfPikachu(pbGet(1),"VIKTOR")
p=pbGetPokemon(1)
p.ballused=23
(eval):6:in `pbExecuteScript'
Scene_Map:96:in `update

The second is with the moves, it runs that part of the script without crashing, but once you go to the menu to check on its moves the move screen is blank and it returns this:
PokemonSummary:480:in `drawPageThree'
PokemonSummary:477:in `each'
PokemonSummary:477:in `drawPageThree'
PokemonSummary:804:in `pbScene'
PokemonSummary:743:in `loop'
PokemonSummary:807:in `pbScene'
PokemonSummary:824:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonScreen:820:in `pbSummary'
PokemonScreen:1272:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonScreen:1181:in `loop'

Maruno
April 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I've decided not to mess with the nature...it really isn't that important compared to the rest. There are still two errors I'm getting.
The first is with the abilities. It crashes upon running the script:
Looks like you can't define the ability like that. I can't help you there.

The second is with the moves, it runs that part of the script without crashing, but once you go to the menu to check on its moves the move screen is blank and it returns this:
Use "PBMove", not "PBMoves".

Gorbeh
April 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
EDIT:
I figured it out...the syntax is kinda strange:
yourPokemon.moves[0]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::SURF)
yourPokemon.moves[1]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::VOLTTACKLE)
yourPokemon.moves[2]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::THUNDER)
yourPokemon.moves[3]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::SUBSTITUTE)

Civil Servant
April 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Is it possible to stop the Pokemon from bouncing when it is your turn on the battle screen, but not the health/status box? I'm assuming it is a simple bit of the script, but I can't for the life of my figure it out.

Shinri
April 8th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Hey, although I've gotten to grips with pretty much all of the features already within the kit, I find myself wondering - is it possible to include mid-battle dialogue (when sending out last Pokemon, when that Pokemon is on low health) like in Diamond & Pearl forwards? I'm making this game on behalf of some other people, so to speak, and they'd like to include such a thing, so would it be possible? If so, how?

Thanks for the amazing starterkit, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Wichu
April 8th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Thank you for the advice, I think it'll work. The only issue with that is the larger number of events used might cause lag, especially in big cities :(

This is what I had in mind for solving this:
Each tileset would have a corresponding image that just had the lit parts of the tileset, with everything transparent. An extra image layer, similar to the fog layer, would be added; the day/night tinting would be disabled for this. The tile from the light image which corresponds to the highest-priority non-blank tile from the map would be copied onto the image layer. Finally, the image would be made visible or invisible depending on the time of day.

I can't script this for about two weeks, as I haven't currently got access to RMXP; however, when I can, I'll do so. Maybe it can be integrated into Essentials.

Maruno
April 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Is it possible to stop the Pokemon from bouncing when it is your turn on the battle screen, but not the health/status box? I'm assuming it is a simple bit of the script, but I can't for the life of my figure it out.
PokeBattle_ActualScene, in class "PokemonBattlerSprite" (roughly line 380), look for the line "@spriteYExtra=2" Make this zero instead.

You'll need some other way to decide which Pokémon you're targeting, though, as the bobbing is also the way you choose the target. This is only important in double battles, with moves that hit just one opponent.

VEGET@
April 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
How i do a encounter for the nigth???

incognito322
April 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Got a question for the game system...
I want to add Pokemon, but I don't want them to have to start at 541 because that's where the Pokemon icons stop. So what do I do? Do I edit the script somewhere? I was hoping I'd be able to implement a seamless national Pokedex after getting a regional one.

KitsuneKouta
April 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
How i do a encounter for the nigth???
I did some looking and found I was slightly off in my earlier explanation. Open the encounters.txt and make a new entry in the same format as Land. However, replace Land with LandMorning, LandDay, or LandNight. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there. I thought you could do this with the editor, but you can't. It's in the notes under Advanced Topics.

Maruno
April 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Got a question for the game system...
I want to add Pokemon, but I don't want them to have to start at 541 because that's where the Pokemon icons stop. So what do I do? Do I edit the script somewhere? I was hoping I'd be able to implement a seamless national Pokedex after getting a regional one.
Those extra icons in Graphics/Icons aren't used at all by the game. They're just there for the sake of completeness - it's expected that if you want to use them, you'll rename them to their species' numbers (e.g. Deoxys sprites to "icon386_0.png", that kind of thing). You can get rid of any icon higher than Arceus without worry.

The Egg icon and sprite are kept in Graphics/Pictures, by the way. Not entirely sure why.

incognito322
April 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Okay, thanks! Just what I needed. And I noticed the egg thing, too... how odd.

Crystal Keyblade
April 9th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I have a question about the light script.
The one that sets a point of light and then makes the player cast a shadow.
Is there an event i can make to make the light and shadows only appear at a certain time of day?

Vociferocity
April 9th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Does anyone know if there's a way to get the species of a pokemon that you've just selected? I have some switches that are activated if a specific pokemon has been chosen, but ... they're not working.

I was using "pbGetPokemon(1).species==::PbSpecies::<specific species goes here>", but it's clearly incorrect.

this is the error I get when I try that:
Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `species' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:
pbGetPokemon(1).species==::PBSpecies::MAGIKARP

Interpreter:785:in `eval'
Interpreter:785:in `command_111'
Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Rassalon
April 9th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Just noticed some scripts labeled:
PokeBattleGen1_Battler,
PokeBattleGen1_Move,
Im presuming these are a gen 1 style battle system. However i can't seem to find a way to use it. Can someone please enlighten me?

taimao
April 9th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Looks like you can't define the ability like that. I can't help you there.

I think he might be able to do it now with the new multiple form scripts that came out. It would require some scripting, However,and if one has a heavily custumized starterkit (like many here), it could be quite an effort to update to the latest version.

Edit: The code might look something like this for the latest pokemon essentials

MultipleForms.register(:PIKACHU,{
"ability"=>proc{|pokemon|
if pokemon.form==0
next getID(PBAbilities,:STATIC)
else
next getID(PBAbilities,:SWIFTSWIM)
end
}
})

then instead of assigning an ability in the trade you would code:

pokemon.form=1

VEGET@
April 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I did some looking and found I was slightly off in my earlier explanation. Open the encounters.txt and make a new entry in the same format as Land. However, replace Land with LandMorning, LandDay, or LandNight. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there. I thought you could do this with the editor, but you can't. It's in the notes under Advanced Topics.
Thanks,but i get a error

Compiler:1044:in `pbCompileEncounters'
Compiler:3829:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3939
Message: Undefined encounter type , expected one of the following:
["Land", "Cave", "Water", "RockSmash", "OldRod", "GoodRod", "SuperRod", "HeadbuttLow", "HeadbuttHigh", "LandMorning", "LandDay", "LandNight", "BugContest"]
File PBS/encounters.txt, line 1

Compiler:1044:in `pbCompileEncounters'
Compiler:3829:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3939 :(

Gorbeh
April 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know if there's a way to get the species of a pokemon that you've just selected? I have some switches that are activated if a specific pokemon has been chosen, but ... they're not working.

I was using "pbGetPokemon(1).species==::PbSpecies::<specific species goes here>", but it's clearly incorrect.

this is the error I get when I try that:
Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `species' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:
pbGetPokemon(1).species==::PBSpecies::MAGIKARP

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

You're saying after you selected a Pokemon using pbChoosePokemon?
In that case the Pokemon's ID is stored in variable 1 so use pbGet(1) in the $Trainer.party[] array. I'm assuming you're using the script part of a conditional branch so try this:

$Trainer.party[pbGet(1)]==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR

And change BULBASAUR to whatever you're checking for.

I think he might be able to do it now with the new multiple form scripts that came out. It would require some scripting, However,and if one has a heavily custumized starterkit (like many here), it could be quite an effort to update to the latest version.

Edit: The code might look something like this for the latest pokemon essentials

MultipleForms.register(:PIKACHU,{
"ability"=>proc{|pokemon|
if pokemon.form==0
next getID(PBAbilities,:STATIC)
else
next getID(PBAbilities,:SWIFTSWIM)
end
}
})
then instead of assigning an ability in the trade you would code:

pokemon.form=1

Good idea! And then I could give the Pikachu a surfing graphic too!

Etheor
April 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Still getting this error when I choose a Pokémon (works fine on the test lab map, but I made another one and copied over the events and I get this)

Game_Character_1:172:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:127:in `update_or'

Spriteset_Map:242:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:237:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:237:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:92:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:45:in `each'

Maruno
April 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just a quick heads-up to let everyone know that the evolution methods ItemMale and ItemFemale (used only for Kirlia and Snorunt respectively - use a Dawn Stone on them) are incomplete. They will currently evolve if any evolution stone is used on them, not just the Dawn Stone. The gender check is fine, though.

The fix is easy - I'm just letting you all know that it needs to be done if you're going to use those methods.

I discovered this during research for the wiki page on evolution. See, it's useful!

jim42
April 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Ihave a quick question - when it says BADGEFORDIVE can that be changed to BADGEFORDIG and have dig replace dive as an HM? It would take some scripting I'm sure so any help is appreciated.

Also, following playing Pokemon ranger I have been throwing an idea around and I - being a noob scripter - was wondering if it was possible: Can it be made that HMs, rather than being a physical item, are rather an ability that is permanently unlocked by a person, allowed by a badge and usable by any Pokemon who could learn the move at any time?

i.e. I beat a gym that allows SURF. An aide tells me that the professor wants me, and that the easiest way to get back is by surfing across a river, so he teaches me how to surf. From now on, provided I have a Pokemon with me that previously would have been taught the SURF HM - say Blastoise - I can now surf whenever i like. However if I was to put Blastoise into the box and my party now consisted of Pidgey and Oddish I could no longer surf until I had a Pokemon who was able.

It would remove the need for HM slaves and also free up move slots for a team. The HMs themselves could be rendered as regular moves, and the new 'abilities' could be listed in a sub window of the trainer card or something.

Vociferocity
April 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You're saying after you selected a Pokemon using pbChoosePokemon?
In that case the Pokemon's ID is stored in variable 1 so use pbGet(1) in the $Trainer.party[] array. I'm assuming you're using the script part of a conditional branch so try this:

$Trainer.party[pbGet(1)]==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR

And change BULBASAUR to whatever you're checking for.\

so I tried that, and it didn't work. and then I tried my old code, and it worked that time. I must have had a typo or something before :\ thanks for helping, though :)

Dave.
April 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks!, but, don´t show the Reds Squares of Rattata, Pidgey and others in the Pokedex (Route 1)

Example: RATTATA's NEST AREA UNKNOWN... :/

What version of the Essential do you use?

My version of Essentials is a year old now. Maybe the functionality broke in more recent versions. I don't keep up to date with them, so I wouldn't really be able to help fix it.

Thank you very much ^_^
I found one old version of Essential in my computer (Date in January 2009), and show the red squares. It seems that it is a bug of the new versions.

I'm having exactly the same problem.. but I don't have access to older versions. Is there anywhere I can obtain the older versions of the Pokédex script, or can anyone help here?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Maruno
April 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Ihave a quick question - when it says BADGEFORDIVE can that be changed to BADGEFORDIG and have dig replace dive as an HM? It would take some scripting I'm sure so any help is appreciated.
I imagine you can, but you'd have to be really careful you make all the right changes.

Also, following playing Pokemon ranger I have been throwing an idea around and I - being a noob scripter - was wondering if it was possible: Can it be made that HMs, rather than being a physical item, are rather an ability that is permanently unlocked by a person, allowed by a badge and usable by any Pokemon who could learn the move at any time?

i.e. I beat a gym that allows SURF. An aide tells me that the professor wants me, and that the easiest way to get back is by surfing across a river, so he teaches me how to surf. From now on, provided I have a Pokemon with me that previously would have been taught the SURF HM - say Blastoise - I can now surf whenever i like. However if I was to put Blastoise into the box and my party now consisted of Pidgey and Oddish I could no longer surf until I had a Pokemon who was able.

It would remove the need for HM slaves and also free up move slots for a team. The HMs themselves could be rendered as regular moves, and the new 'abilities' could be listed in a sub window of the trainer card or something.
This is possible, yes. I've done it for Fly, but the concept can easily be expanded to the other HMs.

In PokemonHiddenMoves, you'd need to change each instance of the line "movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:STRENGTH)" (and similar) to a check for whether you're carrying any of the Pokémon in an array.

That takes care of how the moves actually work, but you'll also want the moves to appear in the party screen when you select a Pokémon. In PokemonScreen, find the part that adds the hidden moves to the list of options (around line 1208). Replace this with a much larger chunk of code that contains arrays for each hidden move (like you made before), and checks to see if the selected Pokémon is mentioned in any of those arrays. If it is, add the corresponding option to the list.

This is just a brief overview of what you should do. Actually doing what I described is a lot more involved, and requires a decent amount of knowledge of scripting. The point is that it is possible.

I'm having exactly the same problem.. but I don't have access to older versions. Is there anywhere I can obtain the older versions of the Pokédex script, or can anyone help here?

Pokémon Essentials, version 3rd February 2009 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FASA1X8H). However, this may be a little too old for you, so it may not work either but in a different way.

Dave.
April 10th, 2010, 06:06 AM
However, this may be a little too old for you, so it may not work either but in a different way.

Either way, its worth a try. If it comes to it, I can chop and change between the new and older script.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

Shinri
April 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hey, although I've gotten to grips with pretty much all of the features already within the kit, I find myself wondering - is it possible to include mid-battle dialogue (when sending out last Pokemon, when that Pokemon is on low health) like in Diamond & Pearl forwards? I'm making this game on behalf of some other people, so to speak, and they'd like to include such a thing, so would it be possible? If so, how?

Thanks for the amazing starterkit, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Does anyone have an answer to this? I'll be very grateful if anyone tells me of a way to do what I described in my post.

lezebulon
April 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hi
I got an issue with the starter kit.
Sometimes, sound effects (ex : jingle at the pokecenter when I get healed) won't play.
Do you know why / how to fix it?

TACHAN
April 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Hi!
I discovered that it is not necessary to have old versions

Open your Editor.exe , go to "Set Metadata", go to for example Route 1, then Position Map, and mark in the map where is Route 1. Save the changes.

If Pidgey it is in Route 1, in The Pokedex the square will appear in the same place that you marked.

Sorry for my english

Jefelin
April 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Hey Guys
Anyone know how to animate sprites pokemon battles??
I got Luka´s tutorial but it doesn´t work in my project
please, can anyone help me??
I have a lot of time trying :(Anyone can help me, I really need it for my project
thanks in advance and sorry for my english

Colbex
April 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
In regards to the red square not appearing for areas where PokéMon reside... there's no need whatsoever for copying any scripts or the like.
In PokéMonArea, at around line 77 or 78 find:
def pbUpdate
@point.dispose
@numpoints.times {|i|
@sprites["point#{i}"].opacity=[80,100,120,140,120,100][(Graphics.frame_count/3)%6]
}
endRemove the line in red. That should fix the problem.

thepsynergist
April 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I have a question. Is there a way that I can make the credits scene in my game uncancellable, and make it so that it doesn't loop upon completion?

TACHAN
April 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hi! I found a BUG in the new version of Pokemon Essential in the Debug Menu ---> Fill Boxes

h*ttp://img136.imageshack.us/i/dibujoyq.png/

Erase the *

thepsynergist
April 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi! I found a BUG in the new version of Pokemon Essential in the Debug Menu ---> Fill Boxes

h*ttp://img136.imageshack.us/i/dibujoyq.png/

Erase the *

You have too many Pokemon in your PC Box for the game to fill it with all of them. Just delete Pokemon til you have 493 available spaces then use the Fill Boxes command.

juliohack
April 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM
hello

I have some doubts

1-As you fight the same character, such as a rival, and when you fight a second time, having the same name and different levels and pokemon

2-How I can create sprites walk Do any program?

3-English games that you recommend me.

4-For example, when you'll enter a cave, a man tells you that you need to enter XXX medals

5-From where I can get animations to create attacks and how to do

Vociferocity
April 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
1-As you fight the same character, such as a rival, and when you fight a second time, having the same name and different levels and pokemon

4-For example, when you'll enter a cave, a man tells you that you need to enter XXX medals

..okay, since these are the only questions I actually understand, I'll throw you a bone.

For the first question - you can create trainers that have the same class and name. they'll have different Battle IDs, which is what you use to distinguish between them. so if you wanted to be able to battle a specific trainer three times, and you wanted them to have different pokemon at different levels, just create three trainers with their name and the different pokemon, and just specify which one you're battling against in the trainer battle event using the Battle ID. it sounds kinda complicated, but it's really not.

With the next question, do you mean you'd need X amount of medals before you can enter the cave? surely you'd be able to do that with variables. Just add 1 to the count each time you get a new medal, and then when it hits X, the man at the cave will let you in as opposed to saying "You'll need X medals to come in here", or whatever.

KitsuneKouta
April 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
hello

I have some doubts

2-How I can create sprites walk Do any program?

3-English games that you recommend me.

5-From where I can get animations to create attacks and how to do
Vociferocity was right about 1 and 4. For 2, I'm guessing you're asking which programs you can use to make your own walking sprites. You can use Microsoft Paint, Paint.net, or RealWorld Paint.COM (my personal favorite). You're probably better off using an existing walking sprite and modifying it into whatever you want. For English games, the only complete one that I know of it Pokemon Raptor (but it's not the best quality). For attack animations, go the the Database, and then go to the Animations tab. Making the animations will require some effort, and you can use whatever graphics you want for animations (as long as they are in the animations folder of your project), but what you'll really need to know is how to make these animations work in battle. There are already some examples (like Tackle) in the starter kit. To make an animation for an attack, give it a name like Move:TACKLE, or Move:SCRATCH. For status animations, name them Common:Paralyzed, Common:Shiny, Common:StatUp, etc. The kit takes care of the rest (it looks for these animations when you use an attack, and if they exist it will use them).

@VEGET@: I'm not sure what's wrong, especially since the error even states that those are expected encounter types. Also, I found that while it didn't give me an error, there were no encounters. It probably has to do with defining the density, so I'll look into it later.

juliohack
April 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Sorry I'm Spanish and I express myself a bit wrong.

Will I be you can recommend some pokemon games for pc?

How do I do with the medals?

TACHAN
April 12th, 2010, 11:15 AM
You have too many Pokemon in your PC Box for the game to fill it with all of them. Just delete Pokemon til you have 493 available spaces then use the Fill Boxes command.

The 40 boxes are empty. :/

thepsynergist
April 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
The 40 boxes are empty. :/

Have you tried to edit the PokemonBoxes script at all? I've never heard of this error before, so I'm trying to figure out if its something you did.

Worldslayer608
April 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM
So I am trying to figure out how to get the message box to fit in to the little mini screen. But I am having trouble. I can't seem to find the right line of code to edit. Here is a screenshot to show what I am trying to do I guess.

*Not sure if this belonged in the Help and Requests or here...

FROM

http://i47.tinypic.com/2z7mtcp.jpg

TO

http://i48.tinypic.com/35ibouw.png

Still having issues with this :(. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

thepsynergist
April 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to make it so that the Built-in credits scene in my game(using the credits script from Pokemon Essentials) cannot be canceled, and make it so that it doesn't loop infinitely. Anyone know?

Colbex
April 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hm, okay, for the credits, try removing/editing these lines.
def cancel?
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return true
end
return false
end

thepsynergist
April 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hm, okay, for the credits, try removing/editing these lines.
def cancel?
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return true
end
return false
end

Will that prevent the credits from looping? I just want it to play thru once. Will using several wait commands in the event page work?

KitsuneKouta
April 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Sorry I'm Spanish and I express myself a bit wrong.

Will I be you can recommend some pokemon games for pc?

How do I do with the medals?
There are only a few complete pokemon games on PC, like Pokemon Raptor and Pokemon World Online. There's a ton of fan games in production, many of which have been dropped or will be in the future. You may have to wait a year or two before the ones worth playing are finished. If you meant actual Pokemon games by Nintendo, I don't know of any.

Now, for the the thing with the medals, how exactly are you giving the player medals? Do you mean coins for the coin case? If medals are something new, then you have to have a way of giving them to the player (most likely using a variable). To do this, make an event and choose Control Variables. Then select a variable (make a new one named Medals). Then under Operation (below where you set the variable to use), set it to Add. Then choose whatever number you want to increase it by (in the window next to the word Constant). Then in another event (the event that allows you to enter this cave or whatever, which is probably a character) make a Conditional Branch. On tab 1, select Variable, and then choose the variable you made (called Medals). Then right below choose Greater than or Equal to and set the number of medals you must have to enter. You should probably look for some RMXP tutorials, especially on variables. Once you understand variables, they are easy, and incredibly useful. However, they can be confusing if you haven't messed with them before.

Colbex
April 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Will that prevent the credits from looping? I just want it to play thru once. Will using several wait commands in the event page work?
What essentials version/credit script are you using? The built-in one is already set to stop automatically after the credits have finished.

# Backgrounds to show in credits. Found in Graphics/Titles/ folder
CreditsBackgroundList=["Pic_2","Black"]#Add More/Edit List
CREDITS_OUTLINE = Color.new(0,0,127, 255)
CREDITS_SHADOW = Color.new(0,0,0, 100)
CREDITS_FILL = Color.new(255,255,255, 255)

#==============================================================================
# * Scene_Credits
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Scrolls the credits you make below. Original Author unknown. Edited by
# MiDas Mike so it doesn't play over the Title, but runs by calling the following:
# $scene = Scene_Credits.new
# New Edit 3/6/2007 11:14 PM by AvatarMonkeyKirby.
# Ok, what I've done is changed the part of the script that was supposed to make
# the credits automatically end so that way they actually end! Yes, they will
# actually end when the credits are finished! So, that will make the people you
# should give credit to now is: UNKOWN, MiDas Mike, and AvatarMonkeyKirby.
# -sincerly yours,
# Your Beloved
# Oh yea, and I also added a line of code that fades out the BGM so it fades
# sooner and smoother.

class Scene_Credits

# This next piece of code is the credits.
#Start Editing
CREDIT=<<_END_

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

_END_
#Stop Editing
def main

#-------------------------------
# Animated Background Setup

@sprite = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@backgroundList = CreditsBackgroundList
@backgroundGameFrameCount = 0
# Number of game frames per background frame.
@backgroundG_BFrameCount = 400
@sprite.setBitmap("Graphics/Titles/"+@backgroundList[0])

#------------------
# Credits txt Setup
#------------------

credit_lines = CREDIT.split(/\n/)
credit_bitmap = Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,32 * credit_lines.size)
credit_lines.each_index do |i|
line = credit_lines[i]
# LINE ADDED: If you use in your own game, you
# should remove this line
pbSetSystemFont(credit_bitmap)
x = 0
credit_bitmap.font.color = CREDITS_OUTLINE
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 + 2,i * 32 - 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32 - 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 - 2,i * 32 - 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 + 2,i * 32,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 - 2,i * 32,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 + 2,i * 32 + 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32 + 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 - 2,i * 32 + 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.font.color = CREDITS_SHADOW
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32 + 8,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.font.color = CREDITS_FILL
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
end
@trim=Graphics.height/10
@credit_sprite = Sprite.new(Viewport.new(0,@trim,Graphics.width,Graphics.height-(@trim*2)))
@credit_sprite.bitmap = credit_bitmap
@credit_sprite.z = 9998
@credit_sprite.oy = -(Graphics.height-@trim) #-430
@frame_index = 0
@last_flag = false

#--------
# Setup
#--------

#Stops all audio but background music.
pbMEStop()
pbBGSStop()
pbSEStop()
Graphics.transition

loop do

Graphics.update
Input.update

update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
Graphics.freeze
@sprite.dispose
@credit_sprite.dispose
end

##Checks if credits bitmap has reached it's ending point
def last?
if @frame_index > (@credit_sprite.bitmap.height + Graphics.height + (@trim/2))
$scene = ($game_map) ? Scene_Map.new : nil
pbBGMFade(10)
return true
end
return false
end

#Check if the credits should be cancelled
def cancel?
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return true
end
return false
end
def update
@backgroundGameFrameCount = @backgroundGameFrameCount + 1
if @backgroundGameFrameCount >= @backgroundG_BFrameCount
# Add current background frame to the end
@backgroundList = @backgroundList << @backgroundList[0]
# and drop it from the first position
@backgroundList.delete_at(0)
end
return if cancel?
return if last?
@credit_sprite.oy += 1 #this is the speed that the text scrolls. 1 is default
#The fastest I'd recomend is 5, after that it gets hard to read.
@frame_index += 1 #This should fix the non-self-ending credits
end
end
If those are the same scripts you have, it shouldn't be looping. It may just be your eventing in general. The portion of the script I showed you earlier is just what's used to skip the credits.

SpawnHyuuga
April 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know where the "Name Generator" scripts/document is? I noticed if I don't put in a trainer name in the intro, it literally generates something from it's "butt." I want to be able to change/edit/add these names...?

thepsynergist
April 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM
What essentials version/credit script are you using? The built-in one is already set to stop automatically after the credits have finished.

# Backgrounds to show in credits. Found in Graphics/Titles/ folder
CreditsBackgroundList=["Pic_2","Black"]#Add More/Edit List
CREDITS_OUTLINE = Color.new(0,0,127, 255)
CREDITS_SHADOW = Color.new(0,0,0, 100)
CREDITS_FILL = Color.new(255,255,255, 255)

# * Scene_Credits
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Scrolls the credits you make below. Original Author unknown. Edited by
# MiDas Mike so it doesn't play over the Title, but runs by calling the following:
# $scene = Scene_Credits.new
# New Edit 3/6/2007 11:14 PM by AvatarMonkeyKirby.
# Ok, what I've done is changed the part of the script that was supposed to make
# the credits automatically end so that way they actually end! Yes, they will
# actually end when the credits are finished! So, that will make the people you
# should give credit to now is: UNKOWN, MiDas Mike, and AvatarMonkeyKirby.
# -sincerly yours,
# Your Beloved
# Oh yea, and I also added a line of code that fades out the BGM so it fades
# sooner and smoother.

class Scene_Credits

# This next piece of code is the credits.
#Start Editing
CREDIT=<<_END_

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

Credits go here.

_END_
#Stop Editing
def main

# Animated Background Setup

@sprite = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@backgroundList = CreditsBackgroundList
# Number of game frames per background frame.
@backgroundG_BFrameCount = 400

#------------------
# Credits txt Setup
#------------------

credit_lines = CREDIT.split(/\n/)
credit_bitmap = Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,32 * credit_lines.size)
credit_lines.each_index do |i|
line = credit_lines[i]
# LINE ADDED: If you use in your own game, you
# should remove this line
pbSetSystemFont(credit_bitmap)
x = 0
credit_bitmap.font.color = CREDITS_OUTLINE
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 + 2,i * 32 - 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32 - 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 - 2,i * 32 - 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 + 2,i * 32,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 - 2,i * 32,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 + 2,i * 32 + 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32 + 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0 - 2,i * 32 + 2,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.font.color = CREDITS_SHADOW
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32 + 8,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
credit_bitmap.font.color = CREDITS_FILL
credit_bitmap.draw_text(0,i * 32,Graphics.width,32,line,1)
end
@trim=Graphics.height/10
@credit_sprite = Sprite.new(Viewport.new(0,@trim,Graphics.width,Graphics.height-(@trim*2)))
@credit_sprite.bitmap = credit_bitmap
@credit_sprite.z = 9998
@credit_sprite.oy = -(Graphics.height-@trim) #-430
@frame_index = 0
@last_flag = false

#--------
# Setup
#--------

#Stops all audio but background music.
pbMEStop()
pbBGSStop()
pbSEStop()
Graphics.transition

loop do

Graphics.update
Input.update

update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
Graphics.freeze
@sprite.dispose
@credit_sprite.dispose
end

##Checks if credits bitmap has reached it's ending point
def last?
if @frame_index > (@credit_sprite.bitmap.height + Graphics.height + (@trim/2))
$scene = ($game_map) ? Scene_Map.new : nil
pbBGMFade(10)
return true
end
return false
end

#Check if the credits should be cancelled
def cancel?
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return true
end
return false
end
def update
@backgroundGameFrameCount = @backgroundGameFrameCount + 1
if @backgroundGameFrameCount >= @backgroundG_BFrameCount
# Add current background frame to the end
@backgroundList = @backgroundList << @backgroundList[0]
# and drop it from the first position
@backgroundList.delete_at(0)
end
return if cancel?
return if last?
@credit_sprite.oy += 1 #this is the speed that the text scrolls. 1 is default
#The fastest I'd recomend is 5, after that it gets hard to read.
@frame_index += 1 #This should fix the non-self-ending credits
end
end
If those are the same scripts you have, it shouldn't be looping. It may just be your eventing in general. The portion of the script I showed you earlier is just what's used to skip the credits.

The problem is I have the event set to event touch and make it so that the event walks toward the player. I would have used autorun, but it didn't call the credits script...So, I think using a bunch of wait commands will have the same effect and call a switch at the end of the wait commands...Its not very efficient, but it works.

And, the credits are the same as what you posted.

Colbex
April 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
In PokéMon Utilities, look for a line that says something like:
def getRandomNameEx
That's where the game draws random names by linking together letters. I'm sure you could change it to where it could generate a random name from a list, and another place you may also want to look, also in utilities, is
def pbTrainerName
I'm guessing this would be the place to edit if you wanna make it like the normal games, and have a list of maybe 3 pre-supplied names, and then the new name, which would open the name entry scene.

EDIT:
@thepsynergist: Oh... well, good luck then. o.o Are you gonna use one of those temporary self switches like the ones used for berry giveaway's ect, so (in example) when you beat the E4 a second time the credits scene will still play again.

SpawnHyuuga
April 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I was thinking something similar to that Colbex, however I don't want it to be exactly like in the games. Instead of having the textbox display, the player could still enter an optional name, but if they didn't put in a name it would generate one from a list that's sorted by gender.

Colbex
April 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM
In that case, you would probably just stick to editing the randomnameex piece since it's already divided for gender. o.o

Maruno
April 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I was thinking something similar to that Colbex, however I don't want it to be exactly like in the games. Instead of having the textbox display, the player could still enter an optional name, but if they didn't put in a name it would generate one from a list that's sorted by gender.
Look at the def pbTrainerName (in PokemonUtilities), and notice it calls the random name generator if the player doesn't enter anything. You want to replace this with two arrays - one for male names and one for female names, and to set "trname" to a random one of these depending on the player's gender. Easy.

Dave.
April 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Hi!
I discovered that it is not necessary to have old versions

Open your Editor.exe , go to "Set Metadata", go to for example Route 1, then Position Map, and mark in the map where is Route 1. Save the changes.

If Pidgey it is in Route 1, in The Pokedex the square will appear in the same place that you marked.

Sorry for my english

I'd already done that. I could tell the game knew which routes were where on the map because I didn't get the 'AREA UNKNOWN' message.

Thanks anyway though.

In regards to the red square not appearing for areas where PokéMon reside... there's no need whatsoever for copying any scripts or the like.
In PokéMonArea, at around line 77 or 78 find:
def pbUpdate
@point.dispose
@numpoints.times {|i|
@sprites["point#{i}"].opacity=[80,100,120,140,120,100][(Graphics.frame_count/3)%6]
}
endRemove the line in red. That should fix the problem.

Ah that's it, fantastic.

Thanks very much.

Vociferocity
April 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM
and just when I thought all my troubles were over and it was all smooth sailing ahead, I ran headlong into another problem. great.

does anyone know how to make it so that the daycare centre can deal with seventeen pokemon as opposed to just two? obviously the whole egg compatibility/breeding thing can be ignored, it's just for gaining exp over time. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, so any thoughts or hints would be so appreciated.

odinel
April 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Hello people
I would like to ask few questions plz help me if you could

1. i made an battle animation on the animation editor, and if i save it it becomes .anm file. How can I apply this to the game?

2. when making battle animation, is there any way to move the sprite of either attacker or defender? (moves like fly or dig)

KitsuneKouta
April 13th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hello people
I would like to ask few questions plz help me if you could

1. i made an battle animation on the animation editor, and if i save it it becomes .anm file. How can I apply this to the game?

2. when making battle animation, is there any way to move the sprite of either attacker or defender? (moves like fly or dig)
I don't know why you're getting a .anm file. It's probably easier to make the animation in RMXP first, then use the animation editor to make the pokemon move. In RMXP under the animations tab in the database, make the animation and name it Move:TACKLE, etc., for any attacks that should have animations (also, you will likely have to increase the maximum if you are doing several animations, as there may not be enough empty ones initially). To move the pokemon in the animation editor, right click on it and choose properties and set the x or y values. Make sure that you set the movement to gradually take place over several frames, with the first frame being at rest (obviously). I hope that's clear enough.

You should note, however, that making the enemy pokemon flash as part of an attack animation is a bad idea, since the pokemon graphics don't update after an animation (at least with older versions of the kit). I'll look into this later if I remember.

juliohack
April 13th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Is there any hack or digimon game?

KitsuneKouta
April 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Is there any hack or digimon game?
This if for the POKEMON starter kit, and has nothing to do with digimon or even hacks for that matter.

Dave.
April 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Quick question - TMs and HMs appear to be shown in the pocket in the order they are added.

It's not vital, but would be much more aesthetically pleasing if they could be in numerical order (TMs then HMs). Is there a way to do this?

Pika Storm
April 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
In the visual editor, whenever I try to add maps to the screen, I get the following error:

BitmapCache:195:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:226:in `autotile'

TileDrawingHelper:69:in `fromTileset'

TileDrawingHelper:68:in `each'

TileDrawingHelper:68:in `fromTileset'

PokemonEditor:34:in `createMinimap'

PokemonEditor:1144:in `refresh'

PokemonEditor:828:in `pbListScreen'

PokemonEditor:823:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:837:in `pbListScreen'

I don't really know what I did, I didn't change anything but the tileset

brokenxnote
April 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
im totally lost as to whats this mean/how do i fix it. i can see a few of the lines its talking about but i have no idea what to do to fix em. im a noob at scripts, if you cant tell already haha

Game_Player:96:in `refresh'

PokemonLoad:363:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

PokemonLoad:336:in `loop'

PokemonLoad:463:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

DebugIntro:6:in `main'

Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main:16 :in `mainFunction'

Main:16 :in `pbCriticalCode'

Main:49

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

OK

odinel
April 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know why you're getting a .anm file. It's probably easier to make the animation in RMXP first, then use the animation editor to make the pokemon move. In RMXP under the animations tab in the database, make the animation and name it Move:TACKLE, etc., for any attacks that should have animations (also, you will likely have to increase the maximum if you are doing several animations, as there may not be enough empty ones initially). To move the pokemon in the animation editor, right click on it and choose properties and set the x or y values. Make sure that you set the movement to gradually take place over several frames, with the first frame being at rest (obviously). I hope that's clear enough.

You should note, however, that making the enemy pokemon flash as part of an attack animation is a bad idea, since the pokemon graphics don't update after an animation (at least with older versions of the kit). I'll look into this later if I remember.

Thnx for ur reply KitsuneKouta

BTW after I make it in the RMXP database first
how do I have to import that animation to the animation editor?
and my problem is that I cannot export the animation editor-made move properly
plz help me

KitsuneKouta
April 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Thnx for ur reply KitsuneKouta

BTW after I make it in the RMXP database first
how do I have to import that animation to the animation editor?
and my problem is that I cannot export the animation editor-made move properly
plz help me
To use the animation you created in the animation editor, open the animation editor and click "List of Animations." This will show a list of every animation in your RMXP project. Then simply click the one you want to edit. When you edit it and save, it will save it in your project, not as a separate file. The game will search for animations with appropriate names automatically (i.e. Move:TACKLE, Common:Shiny, etc.), so you don't have to do anything else after you make them.

juliohack
April 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM
1. Where I can get the sprites, battle TILESS funds for a game that I want to create.
2 As I can edit the sprites in my game?
- How you can edit the introduction?

KitsuneKouta
April 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
1. Where I can get the sprites, battle TILESS funds for a game that I want to create.
2 As I can edit the sprites in my game?
- How you can edit the introduction?
For sprites, look up The Spriters Resource. For tiles, use Google. For funds, good luck because I doubt anyone is going to pay you for anything. Besides, these are fan games, not for profit, and I don't see why you need money to do a project anyways. You just do it. For editing sprites, use Microsoft Paint, or other paint programs (it's not very easy, especially when you first begin). For the last question, I'm doubting that you've done much of anything with RMXP. Tutorials are very nice. Anyways, there is a map called Intro when you first get the kit, and in the top left corner of that map is an event. Simply modify the event to do whatever you want.

SpawnHyuuga
April 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM
For those of you (who like me don't check Essentials website) daily...a new version 4/12 was released. However, there are some bugs in it. Just for future reference I have posted my log with it. The second is a really easy fix and has nothing to do with my game, the first - I think is a new feature unless I really don't pay attention.

EDIT: @ Maruno: I hate myself for not knowing Ruby/RGSS. I just messed up my game. Oh well, that's what backups are for. (Even if they were made 5 minutes ago...)

Maruno
April 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM
EDIT: @ Maruno: I hate myself for not knowing Ruby/RGSS. I just messed up my game. Oh well, that's what backups are for. (Even if they were made 5 minutes ago...)

At least you're sensible enough to make backups. As well as backing up all my files every so often, I'm also in the habit of leaving in the original code (quoting it out where necessary) and noting which lines I've added. In theory, I can remove everything I've added and be left with an original copy of the Essentials I downloaded. It also means if I do something wrong, I can easily take out whatever I've done that caused the problem.

Mrchewy
April 14th, 2010, 07:43 PM
At least you're sensible enough to make backups. As well as backing up all my files every so often, I'm also in the habit of leaving in the original code (quoting it out where necessary) and noting which lines I've added. In theory, I can remove everything I've added and be left with an original copy of the Essentials I downloaded. It also means if I do something wrong, I can easily take out whatever I've done that caused the problem.

Lol, unfortunately for me, all I've got is this jumbled up, modified monstrosity that I've been editing for literally years. It's almost unrecognizable to the original. Wish I was as careful back then.

Konekodemon
April 15th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Could someone make me some titlesets from Kanto, for a PC FireRed/LeafGreen game?

Maruno
April 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Could someone make me some titlesets from Kanto, for a PC FireRed/LeafGreen game?
That's a request (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=213154). Ask in the right place.

SpawnHyuuga
April 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Meh, thanks for the tips anyway.

I tried, and I guess I'm going to look into some RGSS and try and learn how to get the desired effect. With my lack of knowledge, I tried something stupid in the formats area like trname= RED. XD

juliohack
April 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hallo

how you can do that when an event ends another begins

for example

you get to the gym and says that the door is closed ... Your siges
Later in the game find the leader on a path and opens the door
to enter, as does this haze?

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hallo

how you can do that when an event ends another begins

for example

you get to the gym and says that the door is closed ... Your siges
Later in the game find the leader on a path and opens the door
to enter, as does this haze?
Something like this is done with switches. For instance: you talk to this leader on some path, and he give some random dialogue, then a switch is turned on. Then on the gym door, there are two ways to do it. One: make the door event have some text on the first event page saying something like "It's locked." Then, on the second page make the door opening event, with the requirement of the switch being on (it's on the left side, above where you select the graphic). Two: Make a conditional branch that first checks if the switch is on, and if true will perform the door action. Then the else condition would would have the text "It's locked." The second is probably easier to do, but I think it's a matter of personal preference. Also, as a side note, your questions are somewhat difficult to understand. There appears to be some typos which are confusing, so please proofread before posting, so it will be easier to answer your questions.

@SpawnHyuuga: I've found that learning RGSS is easiest by messing with the existing scripts in the starter kit. It's a learning by exposure kind of thing, and by looking for bits of code that are similar to what you're trying to do, you can often find something that can be adapted to meet your needs. (Of course, it also helps to understand basic scripting elements such as classes, objects, methods, variables, operators, different loops, etc.).

juliohack
April 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I do not understand
I could express drawings
I do not understand as haze

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I do not understand
I could express drawings
I do not understand as haze
I'll show you some screens to clarify.
The first screen shows the event talking to the gym leader or whoever. Notice the red line indicating the switch that turned on.
The second screen shows the door, with the first line being a conditional branch checking for the switch mentioned in the first screen.
The third screen just shows the else, which is what happens if the switch isn't on when interacting with the door.
Please look for some tutorials, as these are some of the most basic elements of game design. Also, what is haze?

brokenxnote
April 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
so no one knows how to fix my issue from earlier?:

im totally lost as to whats this mean/how do i fix it. i can see a few of the lines its talking about but i have no idea what to do to fix em. im a noob at scripts, if you cant tell already haha

Game_Player:96:in `refresh'

PokemonLoad:363:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

PokemonLoad:336:in `loop'

PokemonLoad:463:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

DebugIntro:6:in `main'

Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main:16 :in `pbCriticalCode'

Main:49

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

OK

Konekodemon
April 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
How do I make the warp zones?

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
so no one knows how to fix my issue from earlier?:
It would help if you specified when the error occurs. Is it when you load the game? Or when you trigger a particular event? Also, some versions of the starter kit had bugs and wouldn't work (they've probably been fixed by now, but you may have downloaded the kit at a bad time). Try downloading the latest kit, it will probably fix it.

@Konekodemon: By warp zones, do you mean simply teleporting the player to a different map? To do that, use the Transfer Player command, and specify the map to warp to.

Konekodemon
April 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I meant the things like where you walk though a door, go down/up stairs etc.

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I meant the things like where you walk though a door, go down/up stairs etc.
All teleports, doors, stairs, etc., use the same command. So Transfer Player is what you'll need, and it will even allow you to transfer within the same map if you wanted. The kit also has a good door example that you can copy and past for all of your doors (it animates the door fairly well), changing the graphics where desired.

lezebulon
April 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hello
Do you know why the game lags when i only mapped a decent-sized map and have 20 events or some in my maps? Is this a limitation of the engine? How can I fix this?

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Hello
Do you know why the game lags when i only mapped a decent-sized map and have 20 events or some in my maps? Is this a limitation of the engine? How can I fix this?
Are the events all in close proximity? Also, are they light events? In most cases, only one event is processed at a time, except with parallel processes that are usually sparse anyways. The light events, however, all function simultaneously to each other and other events being processed, so too many of them can cause severe lag.

SpawnHyuuga
April 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
How do I do like a lights feature? I forgot who and right now I can't look it up (because I'm typing my post - and my computer is ancient and slow XD).

I want to make it so buildings, gyms, pokemon centers, light up at night so I could do a possibly more realistic night-time effect.

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
How do I do like a lights feature? I forgot who and right now I can't look it up (because I'm typing my post - and my computer is ancient and slow XD).

I want to make it so buildings, gyms, pokemon centers, light up at night so I could do a possibly more realistic night-time effect.
There's two methods: Name an event "Light" for constant tone, or "OutdoorLight" to make it change intensity based on the time of day.

brokenxnote
April 15th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It would help if you specified when the error occurs. Is it when you load the game? Or when you trigger a particular event? Also, some versions of the starter kit had bugs and wouldn't work (they've probably been fixed by now, but you may have downloaded the kit at a bad time). Try downloading the latest kit, it will probably fix it.

It's when I load the game for test playing [I recently put the scripts into my game, might have something to do with it I'm guessing?] And its the newest version [from 4/12].

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 05:23 PM
It's when I load the game for test playing [I recently put the scripts into my game, might have something to do with it I'm guessing?] And its the newest version [from 4/12].
In that case it is definitely the script you inserted. Is it a whole new script section, or did you add something to an existing script? If it's a new script section, then make sure it is above the main (the very last script section). Also, see if you made any syntax errors, like forgetting the "end" on an if statement (I do this constantly). If you can't find the problem in the script, then remove it (if you modified existing scripts, you'll want a fresh copy of the starter kit, which always a good idea to have, and replace the edited script section with the corresponding one in the unedited kit).

Colbex
April 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
So, has anyone found a fix to the fill boxes error in the latest essentials release?

Vociferocity
April 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
nobody has any idea how to make the daycare work with more than two pokemon? no breeding or anything, just the exp gain.

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM
nobody has any idea how to make the daycare work with more than two pokemon? no breeding or anything, just the exp gain.
Sorry, I was starting to mess with it and forgot. I'll get back to it tomorrow if I remember (it's like 9:15 here).

brokenxnote
April 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM
In that case it is definitely the script you inserted. Is it a whole new script section, or did you add something to an existing script? If it's a new script section, then make sure it is above the main (the very last script section). Also, see if you made any syntax errors, like forgetting the "end" on an if statement (I do this constantly). If you can't find the problem in the script, then remove it (if you modified existing scripts, you'll want a fresh copy of the starter kit, which always a good idea to have, and replace the edited script section with the corresponding one in the unedited kit).

well the playtest works now. but as i was thinking "i should make a backup" i accidentally replaced all of MY files in the "Data" folder with the Essentials one...and now i just have essentials...instead of my 3-4 weeks and most likely at least 50 hours of work...and im guessing theres no way to undo that is there...

so basically the playtest works because its pokemon essentials now, not my game. this may be one of the most disheartening fails to happen to me in a while...

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
well the playtest works now. but as i was thinking "i should make a backup" i accidentally replaced all of MY files in the "Data" folder with the Essentials one...and now i just have essentials...instead of my 3-4 weeks and most likely at least 50 hours of work...and im guessing theres no way to undo that is there...

so basically the playtest works because its pokemon essentials now, not my game. this may be one of the most disheartening fails to happen to me in a while...
It's too bad you lost it all. I think each of us who makes a game has this happen at some point or another, so it's better sooner than later. Backing up is a good idea, but there are different ways to go about it. I simply keep an unedited starter kit so that I can replace codes in case I mess something up, and I also comment out anything that I change, so that I can easily change it back (comment out simply means to put the # in front of a line, so that you don't have to delete it while still keeping it from functioning).

brokenxnote
April 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
It's too bad you lost it all. I think each of us who makes a game has this happen at some point or another, so it's better sooner than later. Backing up is a good idea, but there are different ways to go about it. I simply keep an unedited starter kit so that I can replace codes in case I mess something up, and I also comment out anything that I change, so that I can easily change it back (comment out simply means to put the # in front of a line, so that you don't have to delete it while still keeping it from functioning).

yeah i was moving data files, which i had done a few days ago without a hitch, but i accidentally replaced all MY important ones instead of just placing missing ones. fail on my part, learning experience to both make a back up and replace only whats missing lol

taimao
April 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM
So, has anyone found a fix to the fill boxes error in the latest essentials release?
The error seems to come from an un-updated section of code that's throwing an unintialized constant error. I found it last night it seems like an easy enough fix. However, I am not currently at my home computer (at school right now). So, I'll find a fix when I get home. Maybe somebody else will figure it out in the mean time.

Mrchewy
April 16th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Does anyone have a solution for that annoying Event sprite "jiggle" that occurs when you resize the screen? If you're not sure what I'm talking about, resize the screen to the smallest size and walk around a bit. You see events start jiggling all over the place, and its really irritating xD

juliohack
April 16th, 2010, 05:10 AM
How do I change the background of evolution?

How to change the way to evolve?

KitsuneKouta
April 16th, 2010, 05:57 AM
How do I change the background of evolution?

How to change the way to evolve?
Have you read the notes? They are very helpful with things like that. For the evolution background, you should be able to just add a picture to the Graphic/Pictures directory and call it evobg.

lezebulon
April 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
The light events, however, all function simultaneously to each other and other events being processed, so too many of them can cause severe lag.

Do you mean the "light" and "outdoorligh" named events, or something else? Because I'm pretty sure they are NOT processed simultaneously

Maruno
April 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Have you read the notes? They are very helpful with things like that. For the evolution background, you should be able to just add a picture to the Graphic/Pictures directory and call it evobg.
Who needs the notes when we've got the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution)? Okay, it doesn't (yet) describe the evolution animation, but it's got all you need to know about the methods.

SpawnHyuuga
April 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
No offense Maruno, but I'll still use both. :D

On-topic: Alright, well it's about time I cracked open the E-book Charizard gave to me about RGSS...then maybe I can learn to script without failing.

juliohack
April 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
How to change the way to evolve?(ANIMATION)

KitsuneKouta
April 16th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Do you mean the "light" and "outdoorligh" named events, or something else? Because I'm pretty sure they are NOT processed simultaneously
Maybe I'm mistaken, however you can have more than one light at a time. If there's more than one at a time, that seems pretty simultaneous to me. Then again, it may work like computers do, where multi-tasking is a myth, and the processor switches between processes so fast that it appears to be multi-tasking. Anyways, if they aren't simultaneous, then please explain it to me, and also explain why the light events cause incredible lag when there are several in a small area.

EDIT: slight correction, the lag I was referring to is from the begin Shadow Source, which you would normally want to use with a light (unless it's a window, sign, etc.).

Vociferocity
April 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I was starting to mess with it and forgot. I'll get back to it tomorrow if I remember (it's like 9:15 here).

it's cool, it's just frustrating because I have a pretty basic knowledge of rgss, but some stuff I just don't understand at all, and it's difficult finding information online about tiny specific parts of code. oh well, I'll keep mucking around and learning, and hopefully I'll get this daycare thing working somehow XD

taimao
April 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
The error seems to come from an un-updated section of code that's throwing an unintialized constant error. I found it last night it seems like an easy enough fix. However, I am not currently at my home computer (at school right now). So, I'll find a fix when I get home. Maybe somebody else will figure it out in the mean time.
I have the April 3rd not the April 13th version of Essentials so I hope there aren't any big changes between the two.
The error seems to orginate form the section PokemonDebug in the definition pbDebugMenu under the part of an "else if" statement that says:
elsif cmd=="fillboxes"
After you find that. A couple lines down should be:
$PokemonStorage[(i-1)/PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON,(i-1)%PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON]=pkmn

However, PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON is no longer a valid constant. Looking at other places that the constant was replaced yielded this line of code:
$PokemonStorage[(i-1)/$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox),(i-1)%$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox)]=pkmn
This seemed to make fillboxes work for me. However, I'm not that experienced at ruby coding would someone see if this is a possible fix.

juliohack
April 17th, 2010, 03:49 AM
hello again

I raised new doubts

1-How to change the form of evolution.
2-I of the gym leaders still no single entity
3 - Do any good tutorial?
4-How to prevent the passage of some sites if you have no medals.
5-me section you can explain the attacks.

hello again

I raised new doubts

1-How to change the form of evolution.
2-I of the gym leaders still no single entity
3 - Do any good tutorial?
4-How to prevent the passage of some sites if you have no medals.
5-me section you can explain the attacks.

Colbex
April 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I have the April 3rd not the April 13th version of Essentials so I hope there aren't any big changes between the two.
The error seems to orginate form the section PokemonDebug in the definition pbDebugMenu under the part of an "else if" statement that says:
elsif cmd=="fillboxes"After you find that. A couple lines down should be:
$PokemonStorage[(i-1)/PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON,(i-1)%PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON]=pkmn
However, PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON is no longer a valid constant. Looking at other places that the constant was replaced yielded this line of code:
$PokemonStorage[(i-1)/$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox),(i-1)%$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox)]=pkmnThis seemed to make fillboxes work for me. However, I'm not that experienced at ruby coding would someone see if this is a possible fix.

It works fine now, however; on MultipleForms you have to comment out Shellos and Gastrodon. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't identified any maps for the two Pokémon to evolve at or FillBoxes can't process the getting of the game map. It's probably the first one though.

lezebulon
April 17th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken, however you can have more than one light at a time. If there's more than one at a time, that seems pretty simultaneous to me.

Ok so... since there are several sprites displayed when I play, it's multitasking too? I suggest you at least check how the scripts work before you answer other people's questions based solely on your own opinion, because this really isn't helping anyone.

Edit : I mean, you are aware that the pokemon essential kit does NOT do multi-processing or multi-threading, right? at least not for the sprite displays

KitsuneKouta
April 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Ok so... since there are several sprites displayed when I play, it's multitasking too? I suggest you at least check how the scripts work before you answer other people's questions based solely on your own opinion, because this really isn't helping anyone.

Edit : I mean, you are aware that the pokemon essential kit does NOT do multi-processing or multi-threading, right? at least not for the sprite displays
I won't argue, since you're probably right. Regardless, I would still like you to explain why a large number of events causes lag, and how parallel processes work (I'm assuming it works like I said in my post, the processor switches back and forth between processes so fast you don't notice it, NOT multi-processing).

Getting back on topic, how would you force the menu to close when using FLY? I tried a few things like putting the menu close command after FLY was executed, but it didn't change anything.

Colbex
April 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Okay, quick question. How do you force a save, like after you defeat the elite four. I know you can force it to open, but that doesn't force you to exit right back out of it.
Also, there's a little introductory portion in the beginning of my game. I can open the menu for the player, but, likewise, how can I make the player open a certain part of their menu, like the bag screen?

Wichu
April 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I won't argue, since you're probably right. Regardless, I would still like you to explain why a large number of events causes lag, and how parallel processes work (I'm assuming it works like I said in my post, the processor switches back and forth between processes so fast you don't notice it, NOT multi-processing).

Getting back on topic, how would you force the menu to close when using FLY? I tried a few things like putting the menu close command after FLY was executed, but it didn't change anything.

Parallel Processing events don't use new threads or anything complex like that. They simply spawn new event objects, which are updated when the map updates (Autorun events create a single event object, and until the event is over, the map doesn't update).
Anyway, a large number of events lags because each one has to be updated every frame. Essentials, I assume, adds more processing to each event than in RMXP's default scripts (e.g. trainer events need to check whether they can see the player, light events need to cast shadows etc). RGSS is an interpreted language, which means each line of code that is to be executed needs to be converted into machine code (i.e. raw CPU instructions) on the fly. If you're looping through loads of events, you're going to need to process thousands of lines. This is unavoidable if you're using RGSS and Essentials.

KitsuneKouta
April 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Parallel Processing events don't use new threads or anything complex like that. They simply spawn new event objects, which are updated when the map updates (Autorun events create a single event object, and until the event is over, the map doesn't update).
Anyway, a large number of events lags because each one has to be updated every frame. Essentials, I assume, adds more processing to each event than in RMXP's default scripts (e.g. trainer events need to check whether they can see the player, light events need to cast shadows etc). RGSS is an interpreted language, which means each line of code that is to be executed needs to be converted into machine code (i.e. raw CPU instructions) on the fly. If you're looping through loads of events, you're going to need to process thousands of lines. This is unavoidable if you're using RGSS and Essentials.
Thanks, that's very helpful.

@Colbex: In an event, make a script command that says pbSave. It's a quiet save, so there's no messages or indications, it simply saves where you are. To force the bag to open, use this in a script command:
item=0
scene=PokemonBag_Scene.new
screen=PokemonBagScreen.new(
scene,$PokemonBag)
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
item=screen.pbStartScreen
}

Make sure it looks just like that, since having the parenthesis in the wrong place messes it up.

taimao
April 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
It works fine now, however; on MultipleForms you have to comment out Shellos and Gastrodon. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't identified any maps for the two Pokémon to evolve at or FillBoxes can't process the getting of the game map. It's probably the first one though.
under Shellos and Gastrodon in MultipleForms you'll see map_ID .
Change these to map_id . Those were incorrectly capatalized.

xblaze1234
April 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
is it possible to animate tiles to make them appear 3-D for example if I were to move to one part of the screen the buliding would i guess you could say turn with me so that it would seem like the building has all four sides like in platinum diamon and peral?

KitsuneKouta
April 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
is it possible to animate tiles to make them appear 3-D for example if I were to move to one part of the screen the buliding would i guess you could say turn with me so that it would seem like the building has all four sides like in platinum diamon and peral?
If it is possible, it's not worth trying. In 3d games every side exists, sort of like a 3d model. In 2d games, only the face exists. So, if the object "turns with you" in a 2d game, what side is there to display? It wouldn't exist.

xblaze1234
April 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM
well if that the case is there any other program out there that can make bulidings like that and support scripting?

KitsuneKouta
April 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
well if that the case is there any other program out there that can make bulidings like that and support scripting?
There is, I just don't know them off hand. Also, RMXP is fairly unique in that it is relatively easy to use, since a lot of it can be done through the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Most other game making software requires extensive scripting, and you'd probably have to write your own engine too. You're probably better off dropping that feature, and continuing with RMXP.

Spinarak
April 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hm, well I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I did a quick search and I didn't seem to find any posts concerning my problem.

So, I need to know how to make a picture change when a button is pressed. Basically, I *think* I know how to set it up, but it doesn't work, which means I'm wrong. XD

Basically, here is my code:

@sprite=IconSprite.new(0, 320)
@sprite.setBitmap(#the sprite)
@sprite.z = 99999999
@sprite.setBitmap(#the sprite 2)
break
end
Again, I'm not even sure if that's right. Help would be appreciated. =D