PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Delusions of Originality
May 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Still haven't had much luck trying to fix the frontier scripts (and now it looks like there's something new broken in the latest release :/), but I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away at them. In the meantime, though, I have a quick question about extendtext.exe. I mentioned in a previous post that it didn't seem to work on my Ubuntu partition and that I'd try it again when I switched back into the Windows one. I just tried running it now, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything this time, either. The extendtext.exe process is still running, so I'm curious--is it supposed to do that? Does it take a while for there to be any appreciable effect? Or is mine broken/am I doing something wrong? I suppose I don't need it what with the workaround Maruno showed me earlier, but this seems odd.

MistTribe
May 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Does anyone have an older version of Poke Essentials that's less buggy?

Delusions of Originality
May 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I have an unedited backup copy of the January 9th and September 5th versions from last year, and I could send one to you if you like, but as I haven't explored them in depth or in a long time I don't know that they aren't just buggy in other ways. Is there anything specific you find buggy in the recent versions that you think worked in an older one? Are there any relatively new features you know you need/don't need? That might help us figure out how far back you'd need to go.

Colbex
May 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
And I have an April 12th, March 15th, and November 24th version(s) if you're interested. o.o

KitsuneKouta
May 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
In Sprite_Character, how can I get the string stored in @character_name for comparisons? I'm working with string comparisons to alter a graphic depending on event names, however the comparison only returns true when I use an empty string "" (which is only used to return true or false depending on whether or not it is a string, instead of checking the specific characters in the string). I've tried a few things, like .eql?, and .include?, but so far it never returns true when comparing @character_name to a defined string (such as "item1" or "funiture1").

Maruno
May 11th, 2010, 03:26 PM
In Sprite_Character, how can I get the string stored in @character_name for comparisons? I'm working with string comparisons to alter a graphic depending on event names, however the comparison only returns true when I use an empty string "" (which is only used to return true or false depending on whether or not it is a string, instead of checking the specific characters in the string). I've tried a few things, like .eql?, and .include?, but so far it never returns true when comparing @character_name to a defined string (such as "item1" or "funiture1").
Have you tried something like "@character_name=="Dave""?

MistTribe
May 11th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I have an unedited backup copy of the January 9th and September 5th versions from last year, and I could send one to you if you like, but as I haven't explored them in depth or in a long time I don't know that they aren't just buggy in other ways. Is there anything specific you find buggy in the recent versions that you think worked in an older one? Are there any relatively new features you know you need/don't need? That might help us figure out how far back you'd need to go.

Well if you could, can you PM me both versions? :) I'll try them both.

And I have an April 12th, March 15th, and November 24th version(s) if you're interested. o.o

Can you send me your three versions too?

KitsuneKouta
May 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Have you tried something like "@character_name=="Dave""?Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. If I use @character_name="Dave" instead, it always returns true, since it's an assignment. Maybe I need to clarify more. In Sprite_Character, line 91, the character image of an event is specified. Normally, it's just the image directory [email protected]_name, but I want to assign the image by a variable depending on the name of the event. I'm fairly sure that @character_name is the name of the event, since that's what it uses to display the appropriate image.

np7261
May 12th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Time.now.hour and Time.now.min are your friends. Shove a colon between the two, put it in a message, and you have your time.

Thanks Maruno. Unfortunately it isn't working.
I put Time.now.hour into a message and it shows just that. I have tried putting a slash before it, putting it in brackets, leaving spaces on either side and still it only comes up with Time.now.hour

Luka S.J.
May 12th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks Maruno. Unfortunately it isn't working.
I put Time.now.hour into a message and it shows just that. I have tried putting a slash before it, putting it in brackets, leaving spaces on either side and still it only comes up with Time.now.hour

This is the way you should use the text functions. The _INTL function is your friend. You really should take on some scripting tutorials or at least read the notes if trying to edit or make a script. The notes explain most of the frequently asked questions, and there is a whole nice section about Essential's text system.

_INTL("{1}",Time.now.hour),x-coordinates,y-coordinates,true/false,baseColor,shadowColor

The method in bold, defines the way the font is drawn. False = drawn from left to right starting at the x-coordinate. True = drawn from right to left starting at the x-coordinate.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch
May 12th, 2010, 05:34 AM
So, I don't know if anyone here would know a way to get a dependent event to speed up when you're running? The point of having your Pokémon follow you is sort of lost if you're always outrunning them... *imagines a trainer outrunning their completely apathetic Rapidash* DX

I tried a couple things, but even when I got no error, it simply did nothing at all.

zingzags
May 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM
So, I don't know if anyone here would know a way to get a dependent event to speed up when you're running? The point of having your Pokémon follow you is sort of lost if you're always outrunning them... *imagines a trainer outrunning their completely apathetic Rapidash* DX

I tried a couple things, but even when I got no error, it simply did nothing at all.

Mines work just fine, they run at the same speed as i do o.o, but I have 2 problems with the script, I want the pokemon to come out after a few frames, like pokemon one comes out, wait like 10 frames and then two does

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch
May 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Um? I'm making my own script, not using the one(s?) that's already out there. I have my reasons for this - one of them being I want only one following poké, though that's not the only reason.

Also, I'm using a somewhat older version of essentials, so perhaps the running/dependent events thing has been fixed in a newer release?

Delusions of Originality
May 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have a quick question about extendtext.exe. I mentioned in a previous post that it didn't seem to work on my Ubuntu partition and that I'd try it again when I switched back into the Windows one. I just tried running it now, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything this time, either. The extendtext.exe process is still running, so I'm curious--is it supposed to do that? Does it take a while for there to be any appreciable effect? Or is mine broken/am I doing something wrong? I suppose I don't need it what with the workaround Maruno showed me earlier, but this seems odd.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Soul.//Silver
May 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Not sure about the still running problem, but are you using extendtext.exe whilst a Text box is open (e.g. when your inserting text for an NPC to say, or inserting a Script for an NPC or object)?

zingzags
May 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Um hey guys i need some help here.
Well first of all how do i change my screen resolution to ds size?
and umm another question is how do i make the characters look smaller on screen, because It looks so big and pixelated, i want to make it small as the ds size.

EDIT:
I manage to find the tile size and change it, also the screen size.
I think the ds screen size is 256x192

but i get this, and sometimes my auto tiles leave and my text is too big

http://i42.tinypic.com/dx200n.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/nmhgxx.jpg

and how to resize the battle:
http://i40.tinypic.com/34rbn1e.jpg

Cilerba
May 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
@zingzangs
You need to multiply your resolution by two.
You have 256x192. You need to multiply that by two and get 312x284.
Try that, I am pretty sure it will work then. (And that isn't the DS Screen Resolution...)

Now, time for my question >.<
Why won't "\G" work in Kernel.pbConfirmMessage?

I wrote this line in a script, "Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("\GWould you like me to make your Pokemon shiny?"))
And in the game, it shows:
"GWould you like me to make your Pokemon shiny?"

Gorbeh
May 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Night time encounters aren't working, at night it just uses the "Land" encounters and not "LandNight", . Have no idea what is wrong since it's not throwing any errors. Has anyone noticed this and/or have a fix? I tried it on an unaltered copy of the starter kit and same issue. I haven't tested morning encounters but I would guess it's the same.

EDIT:
LandNight and LandMorning don't appear in the Set Encounters menu of the debugger either...

Delusions of Originality
May 12th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Not sure about the still running problem, but are you using extendtext.exe whilst a Text box is open (e.g. when your inserting text for an NPC to say, or inserting a Script for an NPC or object)?

Yeah. I've even tried it with more than one of those (enter text, edit script, etc.) just to see if, say, the script entry would work when the text entry didn't, but it didn't. Not that it should matter which I have open anyway, but I'm at a bit of a loss here.

HeliowaltonAU
May 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Zingzags, all the images are automatically 2x the normal GBA size. I assume you just changed the default resolution to a different number? You need to have all of your images resized down to 50% using nearest neighbour so that it doesn't smooth it out making it Non-Pokémon game looking.

That's what it looks like anyway.

brian1666
May 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Question 1: How do you edit the position of the trainers in-battle?

Question 2: When i start a trainer battle, the sound is very low. And the cry's are normal!

infinity+1
May 14th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Question 1: How do you edit the position of the trainers in-battle?

Question 2: When i start a trainer battle, the sound is very low. And the cry's are normal!

On your first question do you mean allaign them slightly say to the left or right or completly change were they are?

For your second question just edit the battle music and make it louder, google audacity its a free and easy to use and should get the job done.

Night time encounters aren't working, at night it just uses the "Land" encounters and not "LandNight", . Have no idea what is wrong since it's not throwing any errors. Has anyone noticed this and/or have a fix? I tried it on an unaltered copy of the starter kit and same issue. I haven't tested morning encounters but I would guess it's the same.

EDIT:
LandNight and LandMorning don't appear in the Set Encounters menu of the debugger either...

Im no expert but maybe try and get rid of "Land" encounters. If your using LandNight, LandDay, LandMorning then you've no call for it.. maybe the system uses "Land" as default and ignores the LandNight as that would leave it with 2 sets of encounters to calculate..

Anyway ive a question on encounters as well.. Is there a switch I could use to switch the encounters of a map to a different map? Planning on a tile that the player walks on to change encounters for the entire map.

JuStuPro
May 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hi there. In my project, the darkness for nighttime doesn't work. I've already changed the Metadata to Outdoor, but this also didn't help. could anyone give me a tip what I can do?

Edit: OK, the problem has solved itself...

Nyu~♥!
May 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hey everybody! I got a question.
I'd like to add particle engines for Pokémon Opal, the fangame I am producer of. The problem.. I have no idea how. :/ I looked at the help page but it didn't say anything about making particle engines. I wanted to make fogs, and clouds(like the shadows of clouds moving about the ground).
Please help.

NeoXodus
May 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM
hello,
i have a problem. When I delete all the examplemaps from the Starter Kit and when I change the teleport to a map which I buld, the game crash.
Can someone help me?

KitsuneKouta
May 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
hello,
i have a problem. When I delete all the examplemaps from the Starter Kit and when I change the teleport to a map which I buld, the game crash.
Can someone help me?
Is the teleport at the start of the game (after the intro)? If so, you probably didn't define the character (with pbChangePlayer). Would you post the error? It's hard to figure out what the problem is without some sort of indicator.

What script makes the screen follow the character? Default RMXP projects have an effect similar to snap edges, but Essentials has the screen follow the character by default.

NeoXodus
May 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Is the teleport at the start of the game (after the intro)? If so, you probably didn't define the character (with pbChangePlayer). Would you post the error? It's hard to figure out what the problem is without some sort of indicator.

What script makes the screen follow the character? Default RMXP projects have an effect similar to snap edges, but Essentials has the screen follow the character by default.

Its the teleport of the intro. There isn´t an error, when i want to start the game, the gamewindow shutting down.

Cilerba
May 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I actually have two questions >.<

1)Why won't "\G" work in Kernel.pbConfirmMessage?

I wrote this line in a script, "Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("\GWould you like me to make your Pokemon shiny?"))

2) How can I disable EXP Gain for one battle? Is it possible?

Gorbeh
May 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Im no expert but maybe try and get rid of "Land" encounters. If your using LandNight, LandDay, LandMorning then you've no call for it.. maybe the system uses "Land" as default and ignores the LandNight as that would leave it with 2 sets of encounters to calculate..
I tried that and now there are no encounters! It seems it is only counting "Land" for the grass encounters.

Sero
May 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm using Pokestarter, the May 7th Release after my older one got deleted by accident. I have two problems:

1) You get a Murkrow in the game. But when I try to take it, it says :
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 8, map 43 (Sequoia Fields):

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: Section130:1196:in `pbAddPokemon'undefined method `species' for "MURKROW":String

***Full script:

pbAddPokemon("MURKROW",5)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

How do I fix it? This has never happened before.

2) There are four items that dont have graphics so the graphics for the next 4 items get used, so now the other item graphics are being used for the wrong item.

Gorbeh
May 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
@Sero, try using this:
Kernel.pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::MURKROW,5) in the script part of a conditional branch. And for number 2 I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but try adding graphics for the four items that don't.

Tranitar
May 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Ok, You know that black thing around the map, I only want the map, No black at all, How can I fix this?
EDIT:
Oh and also, When I start playing my game the entire screen except for Auto-Tiles turn Black, Why is that?
EDIT2: I mean sometimes it turns black for the entire screen but auto Tiles

carmaniac
May 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM
If you read the notes you would notice a section about mapping with essentials.
You're supposed to add a boarder around the edges of at least 7 tiles thick.

Sero
May 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
@Sero, try using this:
Kernel.pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::MURKROW,5) in the script part of a conditional branch. And for number 2 I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but try adding graphics for the four items that don't.

Ah. I knew there was something missing, I just forgot what. The notes said pbAddPokemon(X,Y)

Well thanks.

KitsuneKouta
May 16th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I actually have two questions >.<

1)Why won't "\G" work in Kernel.pbConfirmMessage?

2) How can I disable EXP Gain for one battle? Is it possible?For the second question, I answered that before. Go to Pokebattle_battle (line 2019 I think) and find
exp=newexp-thispoke.exp;and change it to
if $game_switches[500]
exp=0
else
exp=newexp-thispoke.exp;
endTurn on switch 500 before battle to neutralize any experience, then turn it back off after that battle to return experience gain to normal.

MegaNew
May 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
how come my screen is bigger than other peoples? like when u play it.. the screen is fat and sprites looked zoomed in but other people have good looking screens and all

zingzags
May 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
how come my screen is bigger than other peoples? like when u play it.. the screen is fat and sprites looked zoomed in but other people have good looking screens and all

Menu>Option>Screen size

*In game*

KitsuneKouta
May 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
how come my screen is bigger than other peoples? like when u play it.. the screen is fat and sprites looked zoomed in but other people have good looking screens and allCan you be more specific? What is your game's resolution? Also, you are using essentials right?

EDIT: ^^ he beat me to it...

@NeoXodus: If the game is just crashing, I'm not sure what it is. Have you been using essentials before? Did it happen after an upgrade? I'm sure someone's encountered this, so hopefully they can give a definitive answer. It could be something like too little processing power because of multiple programs running, or important scripts being erased.

Tranitar
May 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Sometimes when i try to play my game the things are black but the Auto-Tile is fine, Why is that?

MegaNew
May 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM
TY man i got it fixed.. now umm how do i get it to walk straight into the next map without teleport transitions.. like in the real games.. i saw someone had it in ther egame

zingzags
May 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
TY man i got it fixed.. now umm how do i get it to walk straight into the next map without teleport transitions.. like in the real games.. i saw someone had it in ther egame

go into editor, then go to visual editor press f5 to see how u use it, and to move it just click and hold

MegaNew
May 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM
yay! tyvm u know where i can get hgss grass in rpgmaker auto tile format? and some hgss tilesets in rpg maker xp format?

zingzags
May 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
yay! tyvm u know where i can get hgss grass in rpgmaker auto tile format? and some hgss tilesets in rpg maker xp format?

Try the resource center, its very useful

MegaNew
May 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
yay, now where can i get hgss or d/p/pt gym and cave tilsets in rpg maker xp format?

zingzags
May 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
yay, now where can i get hgss or d/p/pt gym and cave tilsets in rpg maker xp format?

Check the resource center....

Cilerba
May 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, sorry about that KitsuneKouta >.<
I actually have another question *facepalms*

How would I be able to make the player choose from a list of Pokemon, but only the pokemon that the person has seen?
pbChooseSpeciesOrdered(1) is what I am using to choose the Pokemon, but you can choose everysingle Pokemon.

KitsuneKouta
May 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Oh, sorry about that KitsuneKouta >.<
I actually have another question *facepalms*

How would I be able to make the player choose from a list of Pokemon, but only the pokemon that the person has seen?
pbChooseSpeciesOrdered(1) is what I am using to choose the Pokemon, but you can choose everysingle Pokemon.
I think you would need a new script to do it. pbChooseSpeciesOrdered lists every Pokemon in order, pbChooseSpecies lists them all by number, and pbChooseSpeciesList looks the same as the first one. I'll see if I can come up with something.

EDIT: piece of cake. Go to PokemonEditor and find line 1041
commands.push(_ISPRINTF("{1:03d} {2:s}",i,PBSpecies.getName(i)))and change it to
if $Trainer.seen[i]
commands.push(_ISPRINTF("{1:03d} {2:s}",i,PBSpecies.getName(i)))
end

EDIT: forgot to specify that it works with pbChooseSpecies, not the others. You could probably apply the same thing to the others without much effort though.

thepsynergist
May 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know how to get the server provided with Pokemon Essentials working with windows 7? And is it possible to test it locally? I.E. setting the servername to local host or 127.0.0.1?

brian1666
May 17th, 2010, 12:33 AM
On your first question do you mean allaign them slightly say to the left or right or completly change were they are?

For your second question just edit the battle music and make it louder, google audacity its a free and easy to use and should get the job done.
I mean up and down.
And 2nd, thanks! It worked.

Patomaluco
May 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I'm new here so I got some "Newbie questions"

I have the RPG Maker XV
are your files compatible with it?
If they're not where can I find the XP version? because I didn't found a version that actually works of RPG Maker XP

thnx

Jefelin
May 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Guys, someone has got to run this:

5.Creating Player Pokémon Animation
and
6.Creating Trainer Pokémon Animation

Both belong to Luka´s tutorial.

What happens is that everything I put there but it does not work. Gives me no error but does not work. Reproduces only cry twice, but the Pokémon image doesn´t move.

Sorry for my english and thanks for advance

NeoXodus
May 17th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Can you be more specific? What is your game's resolution? Also, you are using essentials right?

EDIT: ^^ he beat me to it...

@NeoXodus: If the game is just crashing, I'm not sure what it is. Have you been using essentials before? Did it happen after an upgrade? I'm sure someone's encountered this, so hopefully they can give a definitive answer. It could be something like too little processing power because of multiple programs running, or important scripts being erased.
I used Essentials before, but i deleted my project, and in this project it crashed at the begin but then i made something and i could use the starter kit. But I don´t know what I did...
I upgrade the Essentials Starter Kit.
Thanks for help.

Stratega
May 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
how I can add a new attribute, similar to happiness?
For example breeding, which can be accessed as happiness or
any other attribute. pokemon.happiness.

sorry for my bad english.

Maruno
May 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM
how I can add a new attribute, similar to happiness?
For example breeding, which can be accessed as happiness or
any other attribute. pokemon.happiness.

sorry for my bad english.
With great difficulty. It's not really something you should be messing around with.

Sorry.

Kareth
May 18th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Hi!

I have again a little question!

How can I add a new pocket to the bag?

I try to extend the code in line 651 of PokemonBag.

But everytime I click to the pocket the following error occures:

Pokemon Essentials

PokemonBag: 16: in `pocket='

PokemonBag:444:in `pbChooseItem'

PokemonBag:424:in `loop'

PokemonBag:491:in `pbChooseItem'

PokemonBag:423:in `pbActivateWindow'

PokemonBag:423:in `pbChooseItem'

PokemonBag:962:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonBag:961:in `loop'

PokemonBag:1053:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonMenu:171:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

OK

Can somebody help me?

~ Kareth

Maruno
May 18th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hi!

I have again a little question!

How can I add a new pocket to the bag?

I try to extend the code in line 651 of PokemonBag.

But everytime I click to the pocket the following error occures:

Pokemon Essentials

PokemonBag: 16: in `pocket='

PokemonBag:444:in `pbChooseItem'

PokemonBag:424:in `loop'

PokemonBag:491:in `pbChooseItem'

PokemonBag:423:in `pbActivateWindow'

PokemonBag:423:in `pbChooseItem'

PokemonBag:962:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonBag:961:in `loop'

PokemonBag:1053:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonMenu:171:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

OK

Can somebody help me?

~ Kareth
I assume you've edited this:
def self.pocketNames()
return ["",
_INTL("Items"),_INTL("Pokeballs"),
_INTL("TMs & HMs"),_INTL("Berries"),
_INTL("Key Items")
]
endThat's only one part of adding a new pocket. You also need to define how long it can be.

Immediately below the script part I mentioned is the line:
MAXPOCKETSIZE=[0,256,-1,-1,-1,-1]These numbers correspond to the pocket names in the first array. "-1" means the pocket has infinite size.

You now have a new pocket! Edit your items so that some of them will be put into it.

That's all well and good, but when you pick up or receive a new item, the message that looks something like "Dave put the Rare Candy in the Items Pocket" won't show up for your new pocket (or it'll be wrong if you've been rearranging the pockets). So look in PokemonField and find "Kernel.pbItemBall" and "Kernel.pbReceiveItem". Edit the messages as appropriate (those numbers correspond to the arrays above).

Be warned that if you rearrange the pockets, you'll need to edit a number of small things. For example, being able to throw a Poké Ball depends on the item being used being in a particular pocket (2 by default), rather than it actually being a Poké Ball (an oversight on poccil's part). Search PokemonDefaultItems for "pocket" to find this particular part. Your best bet to find anywhere else that might mess up if you rearrange the pockets is to search everywhere for "pocket" and see what you find. It's all probably self-explanatory.

Lyzo
May 18th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Ok, well I'm having some issues... I tried adding a battle animation. So once I was done I tried testing it in game, I find out that all Pokemon don't have names anymore, moves don't have names anymore and abilities don't have names anymore...

Here are some screenshots to show you what I mean:
http://i40.tinypic.com/9aaddl.png
A Turtwig with it's moves gone? And the lower name is gone as well!

http://i41.tinypic.com/28ixnrl.png
The Turtwig with the ability gone as well...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2cbouw.png
Meeting a weedle in the wild without a name...

http://i39.tinypic.com/1hwjuo.png
My attacks are gone here as well...

http://i44.tinypic.com/vzbvnk.png
I selected an attack and it works, it just doesn't show its name...

Furthermore, this happened after I added a battle animation, I didn't change anything else... I added a battle animation for Razorleaf. Please help!

EDIT: Ok, I have no idea why... But this problem has been fixed... It fixed itself after I re-saved all the PBS text files... And I think the reason it happened is probably because I edited something in the visual editor??? I don't know why it happened but I found a fix xD So if anyone else has this problem, it's quite easy to fix :P

Tranitar
May 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Ok, How can I connect maps together like in Pokemon Raptor, A guy sed to press the help thing on visual but it didnt tell me how, Help plz
and after i do a battle it goes like this
http://i47.tinypic.com/67qt8i.jpg

Arma
May 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Ok, How can I connect maps together like in Pokemon Raptor, A guy sed to press the help thing on visual but it didnt tell me how, Help plz

playtest the game from the editor.
pres f9
go to visual editor
pres "a" to add a map

This should do the trick.

IceGod64
May 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2yma7g9.jpg
The key part of this image is the fisherman standing in the soil. Yeah, he's not a berry plant, but a placeholder sprite. He's supposed to change to an Ace Trainer for now when a berry is planted, but I don't know what to do. What conditions do I have to use so the event knows which stage the plant is in? The 'notes.html' and 'Advanced.html' don't seem to mention this...

Also, one other thing: Is it possible to evolve Pokémon through an event, and if so how? I'm trying to make Magikarp evolve differently if it's holding a fire stone on levelup during the day on a tuesday, and you're in a specific group of tiles(Obviously where these events are needed.)

carmaniac
May 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
and after i do a battle it goes like this
http://i47.tinypic.com/67qt8i.jpg

Made a little tutorial on map connections for you, not the best but it is something to use as a simple guide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOK3kmWD9Q

Cilerba
May 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think you would need a new script to do it. pbChooseSpeciesOrdered lists every Pokemon in order, pbChooseSpecies lists them all by number, and pbChooseSpeciesList looks the same as the first one. I'll see if I can come up with something.

EDIT: piece of cake. Go to PokemonEditor and find line 1041
commands.push(_ISPRINTF("{1:03d} {2:s}",i,PBSpecies.getName(i)))and change it to
if $Trainer.seen[i]
commands.push(_ISPRINTF("{1:03d} {2:s}",i,PBSpecies.getName(i)))
end

EDIT: forgot to specify that it works with pbChooseSpecies, not the others. You could probably apply the same thing to the others without much effort though.

Oh, alright. Thanks for that ^_^

EDIT: I just got an "error." I only had Aipom in my Pokedex, since it was the only Pokemon I saw, and when I chose AIPOM, I battled a bulbasaur...

Tranitar
May 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
When i try to Import Kyle's Tilesest it shows me this
http://i48.tinypic.com/5yrmfc.jpg
can someone help

Maruno
May 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2yma7g9.jpg
The key part of this image is the fisherman standing in the soil. Yeah, he's not a berry plant, but a placeholder sprite. He's supposed to change to an Ace Trainer for now when a berry is planted, but I don't know what to do. What conditions do I have to use so the event knows which stage the plant is in? The 'notes.html' and 'Advanced.html' don't seem to mention this...

Also, one other thing: Is it possible to evolve Pokémon through an event, and if so how? I'm trying to make Magikarp evolve differently if it's holding a fire stone on levelup during the day on a tuesday, and you're in a specific group of tiles(Obviously where these events are needed.)
I can't help with the berries thing.

The basic part of your evolution is a level up, with some restrictions. Make a new evolution method that includes the "holding a Fire Stone", "it's Tuesday", "it's at Level X or higher" and "you're standing in a particular place" limitations. They're all fairly simple (with the possible exception of the "specific group of tiles" thing - terrain tag on map X is easy enough, but defining an area of a map (i.e. using X-Y coordinates) is a little trickier).

Note that, since Magikarp also evolves via a straight level up (whose method is right at the top of the list), you'll need to move your new method to above it in order to ever be able to use your oddball method. That's easy enough.

There's some information about all this in the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution). Feedback on whether it's a good article or not would be appreciated.

KitsuneKouta
May 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Oh, alright. Thanks for that ^_^

EDIT: I just got an "error." I only had Aipom in my Pokedex, since it was the only Pokemon I saw, and when I chose AIPOM, I battled a bulbasaur...The problem is that the index number of Aipom is it's position in that list. It will need something else to get the species based on the name, or something to that effect, and then get that species in the script that calls the battle.

@IceGod64: I'm not entirely positive, but try putting the pbBerryPlant in the Conditional Branch.
Conditional Branch:Script:pbBerryPlant
*turn on a switch here
else
*do nothing

Then, on the second event page give it the graphic you want and make it's condition the switch you turned on. Then you would need to change the graphic again after, say, 1 day. To do that, you would need another switch to turn on after a day (essentials has some time-based events to do something like that), and be sure to turn off the first switch when you do. You will probably need just 4 event pages (the first not having a graphic), with the 4th pretty much the same as I just described for the 3rd one. If you really wanted to do it good, and knew how to script, you could see how the fishing graphic is handled, and apply it to the pbBerryPlant method.

jackofalltrades
May 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I have two questions, both pertaining to the time of day.

1) is there a way to set it so a particular map (say a forest) always appears as if it dusk
2) is there a way to essentially speed up time so that instead of the four transitions happening once a day, they could happen say every hour or every other hour?

Maruno
May 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have two questions, both pertaining to the time of day.

1) is there a way to set it so a particular map (say a forest) always appears as if it dusk
2) is there a way to essentially speed up time so that instead of the four transitions happening once a day, they could happen say every hour or every other hour?
1) The simplest way is to designate that map an indoor map (so the lighting never changes) and to use a dusk-based tileset. Failing the latter part, use a regular forest tileset and use some kind of fog that dims everything.

2) It used to be easy, but since poccil went way overboard with his GPS shade-per-minute time zone seasonal contraption, it's harder.

Around line 300 of PokemonUtilities is the following bit of script:

for i in 0...24
sun=getSunCoords(Time.at(day+i*3600))
shade=getShadeInternal(PBDayNight.getLatLong(),sun)
shades.push(shade)
PBDayNight.hourlyTones[i]=pbShadeToTone(shade)
endThis decides what the screen tone should be for each hour of that day. Looks complicated, but here's what I suggest you change:

for j in 0...4
for i in 0...6
sun=getSunCoords(Time.at(day+4*i*3600))
shade=getShadeInternal(PBDayNight.getLatLong(),sun)
shades.push(shade)
PBDayNight.hourlyTones[i+6*j]=pbShadeToTone(shade)
end
endI haven't tested this, but I think it'll work. This makes an in-game day last 6 hours, which is roughly what you want. Note that you can change the numbers 4 and 6 to different values to suit yourself, but their product must equal 24 (i.e. 4*6=24). Both copies of each number stay the same.

There will probably be a problem with the LandMorning and LandNight encounter types, due to how it's determined whether it's morning (it overlaps with night, and includes a check of the sunrise time), but they've been disabled in the latest versions of Essentials anyway (although probably not for this reason). I would have looked into this (and I think you may be able to fix it by repeating elsewhere the concept I suggested above), but frankly it's way too unnecessarily complicated for me to care that much about.

zingzags
May 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
How exactly u add this cuz im using the following character script and i wonder how u add this?

Step 1: First, go to the Script PokemonHiddenMovesand go to line 474 or near that.

Step 2: Delete where it says something like "pbHasDependentEvents?" and delete everything past that until you reach an end a few lines down. Delete that end and stop. Now you can Fly!

Step 3: This is just a bit more complicated. Go to line 262 of the same script. See where it says "pbHasDependentEvents?" Delete it until you meet and end and delete that end as well. But wait! There's more!

Step 4: If you were to stop at Step 3, your Pokemon would glitch up when surfing. So, go to the line a few lines down that says:

Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used Surf!",speciesname))

and paste this just below:

pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent0"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,"nil.png",0,2,0])
pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent1"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,"nil.png",0,2,0])
pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent2"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,"nil.png",0,2,0])
pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent3"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,"nil.png",0,2,0])
pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent4"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,"nil.png",0,2,0])
pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent5"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,"nil.png",0,2,0])

This will allow you to surf! :)

Step 5: Use and enjoy! :) No credit needed, but is still appreciated.[/QUOTE]

how exactly u add this i am kind of confused....

Gorbeh
May 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I fixed the problem with morning, day, and night encounters not working. I had to remove the plain Land encounter and now it works.

I have a question though, so I'm trying to make it so the Pokegear radio will make it so that no music is playing by having it play blank.mid (for when you want to listen to iTunes instead of the in game music) and that works just fine except in battles where the battle music still plays. How do I make it so that it also mutes the battle music? This is what I have:
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbBGMPlay("Blank", 100, 100)
$PokemonMap.whiteFluteUsed=false if $PokemonMap
$PokemonMap.blackFluteUsed=false if $PokemonMap

~Frozen Darkness~
May 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
zingzags: I can't explain it any better than that. That's all the instructions there is. :/

Can you tell me exactly what point you're stuck on?

Now, my question:

pbGenerateEgg("RHYHORN",1)

I get an error when this is used.

It says it can't generate the egg cuz the party is full. However, isn't the first part of the conditional branch supposed to handle that?

Gorbeh
May 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
@~Frozen Darkness~
Yeah I dunno what's up with the egg script, I had a party of 5 and went to get an egg from the daycare and there was an error when it was trying to generate it.

zingzags
May 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
zingzags: I can't explain it any better than that. That's all the instructions there is. :/

Can you tell me exactly what point you're stuck on?

Now, my question:

It says it can't generate the egg cuz the party is full. However, isn't the first part of the conditional branch supposed to handle that?

basically explain a little better what do i find, delete and replace in hiddenmoves

Colbex
May 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
You know when you don't have a trainer in the /PBS/trainers.txt, but it's commented in the game, the text pops up asking you to add it (same with trainer types), well, somehow it's not working. I checked my older, March 15th version and it works fine. Then I compared the lines mentioned in the error and the areas that are allegedly affected are identical. More than likely it's just some random component that's been renamed, but irregardless I'd be nice if it got fixed.
Error:
Message: undefined method `play' for #<RPG::SE:0x9b45ec8 @volume=80, @name="Choose", @pitch=100>
SpriteWindow:790:in `pbSEPlay'
SpriteWindow:852:in `pbPlayDecisionSE'
PokemonMessages++:1366:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages++:994:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages++:1013:in `pbConfirmMessage'
PokemonTrainers+++:171:in `pbMissingTrainer'
Compiler:2805:in `pbTrainerBattleCheck'
Compiler:3721:in `pbConvertToTrainerEvent'
Compiler:2830:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:2825:in `each'

Note: I'm using the April 12th version. I know he released a new one, but I've decided to settle. o-o

zingzags
May 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
You know when you don't have a trainer in the /PBS/trainers.txt, but it's commented in the game, the text pops up asking you to add it (same with trainer types), well, somehow it's not working. I checked my older, March 15th version and it works fine. Then I compared the lines mentioned in the error and the areas that are allegedly affected are identical. More than likely it's just some random component that's been renamed, but irregardless I'd be nice if it got fixed.
Error:
Message: undefined method `play' for #<RPG::SE:0x9b45ec8 @volume=80, @name="Choose", @pitch=100>

Note: I'm using the April 12th version. I know he released a new one, but I've decided to settle. o-o

When you try to use the add all items in debug mode it has errors when u use it

Maruno
May 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Now, my question:

The error is because you're not using it properly. It should be pbGenerateEgg(PBSpecies::RHYHORN,1). The notes are a bit stupid about that, but the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Eggs) gives more detail and more accurate detail at that.

The conditional branch solely checks how many things (pokémon/eggs) are in your party, and if it's 5 or less, you move on to pbGenerateEgg (which itself doesn't display any messages, no matter what it does). If you have a full party, it goes on to the other part of the conditional branch instead, which should contain a message saying you have a full party. So you're right, and you're getting confused for some reason.

@~Frozen Darkness~
Yeah I dunno what's up with the egg script, I had a party of 5 and went to get an egg from the daycare and there was an error when it was trying to generate it.
I'm not sure what your problem is here. "An error" is hardly useful information.

Kareth
May 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi!

Is it possible to change the Background-Color of the pockets like in HeartGold?

e.g.
items - red
pockeballs - orange
tms & hms - grey

I try it this way in pbStartScene(bag)

pocketname=PokemonBag.pocketNames()[lastpocket] #lastpocket??? <- maybe wrong
if pocketname = "Items"
@sprites["background"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/bagscreen3")
else
@sprites["background"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/bagscreen2")
end if

But the background is changed to bagscreen3 for all pockets!

EDIT:
I solved it!
I did this in pbRefresh!
And instead of a single "=" I have to use a "==" for a comparsion!

~ Kareth

Gorbeh
May 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure what your problem is here. "An error" is hardly useful information.
Yeah sorry, I'll try to reproduce it tomorrow (later today). I stupidly quit the program without thinking so couldn't get any info and I've been putting off replicating it since it took forever for the guy to even say I had an egg the first time.

~Frozen Darkness~
May 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
zingzags: It says line 474 right there :/

Then follow the instructions. The lines to delete and replace are given right there :)

Colbex
May 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Error:

So.. does anyone have a fix for this. I'm not trying to be impatient, but these little errors that force me to stop what I'm doing and have to take a longer, less direct approach are beginning to get on my nerves. I'm already having to use the March 15th version just to reposition sprites. I'd really like to release a demo by June (I've been trying to get one done since Valentine's Day) but it's problems like these that put the game at a stand still. ._.
/endwhine

Maruno
May 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
So.. does anyone have a fix for this. I'm not trying to be impatient, but these little errors that force me to stop what I'm doing and have to take a longer, less direct approach are beginning to get on my nerves. I'm already having to use the March 15th version just to reposition sprites. I'd really like to release a demo by June (I've been trying to get one done since Valentine's Day) but it's problems like these that put the game at a stand still. ._.
/endwhine
The easiest solution is to add the missing trainers in manually, in the PBS files. It's not difficult.

I never use the editor thing, so I can't suggest a fix for that.

Peeky Chew
May 21st, 2010, 03:57 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/jippily/3errors.png
Ok, three errors in this. The first is obvious, so that you can see the whole thing when it's moving, I've changed the player base to this, but now it doesn't go all the way. How do I fix this?
Secondly, I've changed a code somewhere and the Pokeballs behind the enemy stat thing don't disappear fully.
And finally, for some reason you can't read the text properly. Changing it to D/P fixes the problem, but then there are no spaces between words.

Lyzo
May 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM
I was wondering what's wrong with the sprite reposistioner... I've never gotten it to work... But now I need it :P

This is the error log I always get: ---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials

PokemonSpritePos:187:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:181:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:201:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:307:in `pbStart'

PokemonSpritePos:306:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:314:in `pbStart'

EditorMain:235:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:233:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain:233:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:82:in `loop'

OK

If someone could help me out with this? :D

brian1666
May 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
I got a question again. :cheeky:
When i use this:
pbAddPokemon("TOTODILE",5)
I get this error log:
Message: Section130:1285:in `pbAddPokemon'undefined method `species' for "TOTODILE":String
***Full script:

Hope someone nows how to fix! :nervous:
PS: It's standing like this in the notes.html!

Maruno
May 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
I got a question again. :cheeky:
When i use this:
pbAddPokemon("TOTODILE",5)I get this error log:
Message: Section130:1285:in `pbAddPokemon'undefined method `species' for "TOTODILE":String
***Full script:

Scene_Map:63:in `main'Hope someone nows how to fix! :nervous:
PS: It's standing like this in the notes.html!
You can't even read the current page? Try looking eight posts above yours, and you'll see the answer.

brian1666
May 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
You can't even read the current page? Try looking eight posts above yours, and you'll see the answer.
Oops, misread :paranoid::embarrass

I was wondering what's wrong with the sprite reposistioner... I've never gotten it to work... But now I need it :P

This is the error log I always get: ---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials

PokemonSpritePos:187:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:181:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:201:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:307:in `pbStart'

PokemonSpritePos:306:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:314:in `pbStart'

EditorMain:235:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:233:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain:233:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:82:in `loop'

OK

If someone could help me out with this? :D
I thought i had this problem too, i downloaded new version, and it worked! Maybe that helps?

Shinri
May 22nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hey all, is there a way to visually show a Shadow Pokemon's progress towards purification? As far as I know, the only way to check right now is from the text in Summary - e.g. 'The door to its heart is starting to open'.

Thanks for any answers

EDIT: Having another problem. I made a Shadow Abra with the Shadow Blitz attack, but in battle it says it has no moves and can only use Struggle, and in the attack menu it says it has Shadow RUSH (the attack description for Shadow Rush there is '121') ... what's going on?

Magic
May 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Is there a way to change the font size in certain areas, such as move description, so it fits in the box properly?

brian1666
May 23rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
Hey i have an other question.
How do you make Giratina Origin Form while it's holding the Griseous Orb? I looked on the WIKI but didn't understand that, i always get a SyntaxError. Could someone help me?

~Frozen Darkness~
May 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
The newest version of the Starter Kit already comes with alternate forms. :D

Maruno
May 23rd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hey i have an other question.
How do you make Giratina Origin Form while it's holding the Griseous Orb? I looked on the WIKI but didn't understand that, i always get a SyntaxError. Could someone help me?
That wiki article was written before poccil included support for alternate forms. As such, the information therein is probably incompatible with the newer Essentials versions, which is likely what is causing your error. The article needs updating (but not by me, as I don't use the new versions of Essentials).

The newer Essentials already support Giratina's alternate forms - look in PokemonMultipleForms towards the bottom for it. Just make sure the Griseous Orb has an internal name of "GRISEOUSORB", and it'll work.

brian1666
May 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
That wiki article was written before poccil included support for alternate forms. As such, the information therein is probably incompatible with the newer Essentials versions, which is likely what is causing your error. The article needs updating (but not by me, as I don't use the new versions of Essentials).

The newer Essentials already support Giratina's alternate forms - look in PokemonMultipleForms towards the bottom for it. Just make sure the Griseous Orb has an internal name of "GRISEOUSORB", and it'll work.
And the sprites from Origin Giratina? Do they need a special name?

~Frozen Darkness~
May 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Sprites haven't been implemented; you'll have to script them yourself.

brian1666
May 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Sprites haven't been implemented; you'll have to script them yourself.
Ok, do you know how to?:surprised:
PS: I can't script, does that matter?

Nyu~♥!
May 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'll try this again.. since no one noticed, it seems.

Hey everybody! I got a question.
I'd like to add particle engines for Pokémon Opal, the fangame I am producer of. The problem.. I have no idea how. :/ I looked at the help page but it didn't say anything about making particle engines. I wanted to make fogs, and clouds(like the shadows of clouds moving about the ground).
Please help.

KitsuneKouta
May 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Can the paintTile method from essential's dungeon script be called in an event? If it's possible, could you give me an example of the arguments.

thepsynergist
May 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'll try this again.. since no one noticed, it seems.

Its in the notes. Ctrl+F "Particle Engine" and you'll find everything you need to know.

Delusions of Originality
May 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I wonder if anyone who has an older version of Essentials might be willing to share one with me? Specifically, I'm looking for any of the following:

October 22 '09
November 19 '09
December 3 '09
March 15 '10
March 28 '10
April 3 '10

November 19th in particular, but at least one of any of those would be helpful. Those are all of the versions prior to April 12th that seem to have had major changes to the PokemonOrgBattle script and related scripts, including the introduction of the other Battle Frontier facilities in November. I'm hoping that the scripts I'm having trouble with are functional in a previous version, and then I'll be able to revert to those changes or at least go some way toward figuring out what's wrong.

If not then I guess I'll just have to reconstruct the changes myself via the changelogs, but I'm really not looking forward to wading through all that. :/

yoman47
May 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
how do i rename pokemon and give them moves on starter kit xp?

Delusions of Originality
May 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean change the name of the species (i.e. rename all bulbasaur "treecko") and the level up moves they learn, or do you mean nicknaming them or adjusting the moves they know while actually playing the game? Both of those things are quite simple and the notes.txt file included with it should explain them pretty clearly, but we can't really help unless you give more detail.

Meegz0
May 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hello everyone :>

First I'd like to say the starter kit is brilliant. Haven't had much trouble with it so far except this one thing.
How do I make it so when your a female character, when you start a battle, your actually female? Without making it so if you go as a male your a girl in the battle system. XD
I went through the trouble of finding(and editing the animation), but just putting them in the battlers PBS and giving them FemaleTrainer1-4 isn't enough.

So does anyone know the steps I need to take in order to code/write that into the game?

Soul.//Silver
May 24th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I can't seem to find whereabouts in PokeBattle_ActualScene the viewport is handled. I have gone through all of the viewports I could find in it, none of which edited what I needed to edit. I have moved every other scene (Summary, Option, the Overworld Map etc) so it fits in the custom wrap-around skin I made, but I just can't seem to change PokeBattle_ActualScene. I'm also having the exact same problems with the message system and title screen where I cannot find the viewports. Usually its Viewport = Viewport.new (x,y,w,h)...

Peeky Chew
May 24th, 2010, 02:35 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/jippily/3errors.png
Ok, two errors in this. The first is obvious, so that you can see the whole thing when it's moving, I've changed the player base to this, but now it doesn't go all the way. How do I fix this?
And secondly, I've changed a code somewhere and the Pokeballs behind the enemy stat thing don't disappear fully.

venom12
May 24th, 2010, 02:39 AM
For First Problem find pbAddSprite("playerbase",X,226,playerbase,@viewport) and just edit the X to 365 for me its perfect.
And second i dont really know what you edit.

brian1666
May 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Does someone know how to script the sprites of Origin Giratina? I really need it! :'(

Maruno
May 24th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone :>

First I'd like to say the starter kit is brilliant. Haven't had much trouble with it so far except this one thing.
How do I make it so when your a female character, when you start a battle, your actually female? Without making it so if you go as a male your a girl in the battle system. XD
I went through the trouble of finding(and editing the animation), but just putting them in the battlers PBS and giving them FemaleTrainer1-4 isn't enough.

So does anyone know the steps I need to take in order to code/write that into the game?
You mean the player's back sprite doesn't match the front sprite?

The back sprite is in Graphics/Pictures, with the name trbackXXX.png (where "XXX" is "000" for boy and "001" for girl). Edit those.

Trainers don't normally have back sprites, because you won't ever see them. The only trainer types that need back sprites are any player-exclusive ones and any partner trainers (with "XXX" being that trainer type's number).

carmaniac
May 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Does someone know how to script the sprites of Origin Giratina? I really need it! :'(

Not exactly hard took me about 5 minutes to do this in the new starter kit.

Save the graphics I have attatched.
Go to the script PokemonUtilities
Go to line 1444 and this should be on that line:
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg"))
Create a new line and paste in this code:
elsif isConst?(species,PBSpecies,:GIRATINA) && ($game_map.map_id==36) #pokemon.item==PBItems::GRISEOUSORB ||
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d%s%s_alt",species,
pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",
back ? "b" : "")
)

And there you go.

Meegz0
May 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You mean the player's back sprite doesn't match the front sprite?

The back sprite is in Graphics/Pictures, with the name trbackXXX.png (where "XXX" is "000" for boy and "001" for girl). Edit those.

Trainers don't normally have back sprites, because you won't ever see them. The only trainer types that need back sprites are any player-exclusive ones and any partner trainers (with "XXX" being that trainer type's number).

Thankyou so much! =D worked like a charm

Peeky Chew
May 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
For First Problem find pbAddSprite("playerbase",X,226,playerbase,@viewport) and just edit the X to 365 for me its perfect.That line doesn't exist. The one, at least in my version of essentials, looks like this:
pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,208+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)

venom12
May 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
so change the Graphics.width to your X position.

IceGod64
May 24th, 2010, 02:45 PM
A function that wouldn't be a bad idea:
-Ability to control more aspects of a Trainers Pokemon, such as EV's, IV's, and Gender
A character in my game is supposed to have a specific gender pokemon with specific IV's, and I can't make it happen(Unless there's some trick I don't know?)

dannxy
May 25th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Guys can you share or upload the Outside.png file in the Tilesets folder that the very light blue color is change to white! please reply!!!
because when i import the file it says crtitical ERROR!

Lyzo
May 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Been having some issues... I added a trainer + trainer type using the editor. I also made a whole event to go with it...

But now whenever I start the game, and it tries to load the map this event is on I get the following error: Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `play' for #<RPG::SE:0x7a2d6b0 @volume=80, @name="Choose", @pitch=100>
PokemonMessages:1365:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages:994:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages:1013:in `pbConfirmMessage'
Compiler:2757:in `pbTrainerTypeCheck'
Compiler:2772:in `pbTrainerBattleCheck'
Compiler:3702:in `pbConvertToTrainerEvent'
Compiler:2811:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:2806:in `each'

Please, could someone help me?

FIXED

Peeky Chew
May 25th, 2010, 10:01 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/jippily/Horriblecolour.png?t=1274810437
How do I change the image behind? I can't find the file...

Colbex
May 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
You can't change it because there was never a file included. Just find/make an image, name it loadbg.png and import it to ".../Graphics/Pictures"

Nyu~♥!
May 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Its in the notes. Ctrl+F "Particle Engine" and you'll find everything you need to know.

If you haven't noticed, that doesn't say how to make one, like I asked.. 0_0' But thank you for trying..

WTF.
My scripter and I were trying to get a much better menu into the game.
Of course, this messed up update won't allow that. It worked fine on his because it wasn't updated. Why is this one worse than the old one? Is there something in those annoying scripts that's disallowing the custom script to work? Someone please tell me. Because we added this to Scene_Map under def call_menu:

$game_temp.menu_calling = false
$game_player.straighten
$game_map.update
# sscene=PokemonMenu_Scene.new
# sscreen=PokemonMenu.new(sscene)
# sscreen.pbStartPokemonMenu
$scene = Scene_CustomPokemonMenu01.newof course Scene_CustomPokemonMenu01 is the class name so we can't figure out what went wrong.. I'm very frustrated.

thepsynergist
May 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
If you haven't noticed, that doesn't say how to make one, like I asked.. 0_0' But thank you for trying..

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking about how to use one of the ones already defined, not how to make one.

~Frozen Darkness~
May 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Pokemon DawnRuby Version
Exception: ArgumentError

Game_Event_:8:in `initialize'

Game_Event_:8:in `nf_particles_game_map_initialize'

Particle_Engine:541:in `initialize'

Game_Map_:55:in `new'

Game_Map_:55:in `old_setup_neoM7'

Game_Map_:54:in `each'

Game_Map_:54:in `old_setup_neoM7'

Neo Mode 7 Part 2:156:in `setup'

PokemonMap:573:in `setup'

PokemonLoad:318:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

Any fixes? This is because I'm trying to get Neo Mode 7 to work.

bluWAHL
May 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hey! I'm getting an ERROR I can't figure out:

Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and
underscores and can't begin with a number.
File PBS/trainers.txt, line 1

Compiler:815:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:850:in `parseTrainer'
Compiler:1272:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:1270:in `loop'
Compiler:1331:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:3525:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3636

I made a new Trainer type and trainer, everything worked just fine until I deleted the trainer in the trainers.txt file. Because I wanted to give him some other Pokémon, but now I can't start my game or the Editor.

I've tried to type in exactly what stood there before, but no luck.
Please help:)

Thank you

carmaniac
May 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
That problem may be caused from where you havn't deleted
the event that calls the trainer type you deleted. And if you wanted
to give the trainer new pokemon just edit what pokemon they have
in the editor. If you havn't got an event that calls the deleted trainer
then I'm not really sure.

bluWAHL
May 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That problem may be caused from where you havn't deleted
the event that calls the trainer type you deleted. And if you wanted
to give the trainer new pokemon just edit what pokemon they have
in the editor. If you havn't got an event that calls the deleted trainer
then I'm not really sure.

I did delete the event:/ Thats the weird thing.
And when I start the Game.exe file I get another error:

Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer'line91:NameError occurred.
uninitialized consant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies

Colbex
May 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hm, I not sure how to describe this error, it's more like... a bug or w/e... anywho. I've started on editing the battle scene for my game and I've changed the EXPGAUGESIZE along with the coordinates. (speaking of which, does anyone know how to make this bar appear thinner. It's bulkiness kinda clashes atm.) Anywho, whenever a PokéMon gains experience, instead of the bars increasing in length, it will jump backwards and end in a place shorter of the designated distance than where it started. However, when I enter a new battle the bar is at the place it should be (in other words, the blue is longer). Does anyone know what I'm missing that would cause this?

Oh, and also, in the same area, I've been playing around with the HP Gauge X and Y coordinates. It appears as though it edits both the enemy and player HP gauge and I can't fix one's location without messing up the other. Does anyone know if I've overlooked anything or what I need to do to fix this?

Maruno
May 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hm, I not sure how to describe this error, it's more like... a bug or w/e... anywho. I've started on editing the battle scene for my game and I've changed the EXPGAUGESIZE along with the coordinates. (speaking of which, does anyone know how to make this bar appear thinner. It's bulkiness kinda clashes atm.) Anywho, whenever a PokéMon gains experience, instead of the bars increasing in length, it will jump backwards and end in a place shorter of the designated distance than where it started. However, when I enter a new battle the bar is at the place it should be (in other words, the blue is longer). Does anyone know what I'm missing that would cause this?
I vaguely recall having a problem like this way back when I fiddled with it in my game.

Ah, found it! In PokeBattle_ActualScene, go find the def pbEXPBar. In there are the following lines:

if exprange!=0
startexplevel=(tempexp1-startexp)*128/exprange
endexplevel=(tempexp2-startexp)*128/exprange
endReplace those two numbers with PokeBattle_Scene::EXPGAUGESIZE. That should solve it. It's an oversight on poccil's part.

As for the height of the EXP bar itself, the height (in pixels) is the red number in the line:

self.bitmap.fill_rect(@spritebaseX+expGaugeX,@spritebaseY+expGaugeY,self.exp,4,PokeBattle_Scene::EXPCOLOR)The method fill_rect uses the arguments "X-coordinate", "Y-coordinate", "width", "height" and "colour" in that order. Everything else is calculated or uses words, but the height uses a number, which may be why you overlooked it.

Oh, and also, in the same area, I've been playing around with the HP Gauge X and Y coordinates. It appears as though it edits both the enemy and player HP gauge and I can't fix one's location without messing up the other. Does anyone know if I've overlooked anything or what I need to do to fix this?
Both the player's and the enemy's boxes are constructed in the same way, so the HP gauge will appear in the same place on either. You haven't overlooked anything.

Immediately after the following lines (in the refresh part, where all this stuff is drawn), add something like the bit in red:

hpGaugeX=PokeBattle_Scene::HPGAUGE_X
hpGaugeY=PokeBattle_Scene::HPGAUGE_Y
hpGaugeX+=42 if @battler.index==0 || @battler.index==2
hpGaugeY+=17 if @battler.index==0 || @battler.index==2This will move the bars around only for the player's Pokémon (the amount moved is 42 and 17 in the example above). Remember to also shift the HP numbers (125/211) and whatever else you want as well, using the same "if" clause.

Shinri
May 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hey all, is there a way to visually show a Shadow Pokemon's progress towards purification? As far as I know, the only way to check right now is from the text in Summary - e.g. 'The door to its heart is starting to open'.

Thanks for any answers

EDIT: Having another problem. I made a Shadow Abra with the Shadow Blitz attack, but in battle it says it has no moves and can only use Struggle, and in the attack menu it says it has Shadow RUSH (the attack description for Shadow Rush there is '121') ... what's going on?

Desperately need help with this.

Gregora
May 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'd hate to sound like an 00ber n00b, but is there a way with the basic Pokemon Essentials to have the mother save money like in G/S/C/HG/SS? Thanks.

Soul.//Silver
May 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I can't seem to find whereabouts in PokeBattle_ActualScene the viewport is handled. I have gone through all of the viewports I could find in it, none of which edited what I needed to edit. I have moved every other scene (Summary, Option, the Overworld Map etc) so it fits in the custom wrap-around skin I made, but I just can't seem to change PokeBattle_ActualScene. I'm also having the exact same problems with the message system and title screen where I cannot find the viewports. Usually its Viewport = Viewport.new (x,y,w,h)...

Just a re-post of a previous question...

zingzags
May 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Hey guys,
I am wondering how can you change the background of the bag depending on the sex of the player. You know like in the regular games.

BlitŻ
May 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Why can't Pokemon Essentials use Background sounds? O__O This is more of a suggestion than a question, but it would really make the experience of Pokemon the best it can be. I've heard that Poccil excluded it to make the kit the closest thing possible to the Pokemon Game Engine, but doing that was more of a drawback! I want to re-implement this feature in myself, so would there be any way to do that?

Colbex
May 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
@Maruno: Thanks a lot man.

@Soul.//Silver: I'm not sure, I'll take a look and see if I can find anything later and either edit this post or make a new one.

@Gregora: Wichu made a simple bank system for essentials ages ago. It should be in this thread... I think it was somewhere on...page 54? Although, it was only for savings, you'll have to edit it some more if you want your mom to actually spend the money and buy stuff.

@Blitz: You're just gonna have to delete the Audio.dll in the folder and it'll revert back to normal. Just realize that background sounds carry over from map to map, so if you don't want the sound of crackling fire in the middle of a lake, set it to have the map play a different bg sound, or set it to automatically play and then select (none). Or, you can select a sound and set it to 0 volume too.

Meegz0
May 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hm, I've got another problem/possibly a bug. But I can't "attach" my maps together anymore o.O
I got to test play, press F9->Visual Editor-> F5..and when I type a command it dosen't respond. It only responds to X, and C.
How do I fix this problem? D:

Magic
May 27th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I can make a Dependent event and stop it following you, but is there anyway to then use it as an event on the new map? E.G.

Dependent -> go to new map, talk to event -> Dependent character walks off.

Umbreon
May 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM
manully changing pokemon forms? i use pokemon.form = 3
but it gives me an error message, how do i fix this (i was changing rotom's form or was trying.)

Gregora
May 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Edit: I found the problem and fixed it. It was a very noob-ish problem. -_-

venom12
May 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hi i have problem, when i battle with pokemon and i win then my pokemon dont get the exp points how can i fix it?
I using version from 7 may 2010

EDIT:
Never mind i fixed that.

Vicente14
May 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM
how can i change the names of the pokemon? if i change them in pbs/pokemn.txt nothing happens

Maruno
May 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
how can i change the names of the pokemon? if i change them in pbs/pokemn.txt nothing happens
I assume you mean you want to change the species names, not individual Pokémon names (e.g. having your starter Pokémon and only it be called Wally).

After editing pokemon.txt, did you recompile the game before running it? You compile it by doing a playtest while in RPG Maker XP (where you draw the maps) - it's the big green "play" button at the top on the right.

The way the PBS files work is that they're a temporary set of files that can be easily edited. When you compile the game, the information therein is copied to some other files in a more complicated format (in the Data folder, anything with ".dat" at the end). The game only uses those .dat files while it's playing, not the PBS files. You can edit the PBS files all you want, but if you don't recompile the data (i.e. make new .dat files from them), they'll make no difference to the game.

Nyu~♥!
May 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hey, all.
Can someone tell me how to delete a save file? Because I find it sad that I've never known how before. I mean, really.
Please do tell. Manually, or not.
Thanks.

Colbex
May 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
To delete save data you have 3 options.
The first option is to just save over it. But.. that's probably not want you want.
The second is to, while on the title screen, press CTRL + X + Down Key.
The third is to open the game folder and find the file that says Game. You should have, like 4 of these. Delete the one with the blue dragon icon.

pokehackster
May 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
at the risk of sounding really dumb is there anyway to empliment an underground script into the starter kit or is that yet to be thought of if the latter is true im going to see if there is anyway to make it ^.^

NeoXodus
May 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Hey,
how can I delete the pokemonparty and all pokemon (in boxes)from the player?

brian1666
May 29th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Not exactly hard took me about 5 minutes to do this in the new starter kit.

Save the graphics I have attatched.
Go to the script PokemonUtilities
Go to line 1444 and this should be on that line:
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg"))
Create a new line and paste in this code:
elsif isConst?(species,PBSpecies,:GIRATINA) && ($game_map.map_id==36) #pokemon.item==PBItems::GRISEOUSORB ||
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d%s%s_alt",species,
pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",
back ? "b" : "")
)

And there you go.
And the icons? And there's one thing, i wanted only when the Griseous Orb is holded, but i already fixed that myself. Now i don't know how to change the icons! If you don't know, does someone else know it?

Maruno
May 29th, 2010, 07:07 AM
And the icons? And there's one thing, i wanted only when the Griseous Orb is holded, but i already fixed that myself. Now i don't know how to change the icons! If you don't know, does someone else know it?
Do the same kind of thing, but in the def immediately below the one you edited, handily called pbLoadPokemonIcon. It doesn't kill you to have a bit of a look on your own before clamouring for help, you know.

The only thing I'll say here is that you won't use the exact same chunk of code. Figure out how to adapt it by yourself.

brian1666
May 29th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Do the same kind of thing, but in the def immediately below the one you edited, handily called pbLoadPokemonIcon. It doesn't kill you to have a bit of a look on your own before clamouring for help, you know.

The only thing I'll say here is that you won't use the exact same chunk of code. Figure out how to adapt it by yourself.
I did, but then i don't get a Syntax Error or something, it just doesn't change.

Nyu~♥!
May 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
To delete save data you have 3 options.
The first option is to just save over it. But.. that's probably not want you want.
The second is to, while on the title screen, press CTRL + X + Down Key.
The third is to open the game folder and find the file that says Game. You should have, like 4 of these. Delete the one with the blue dragon icon.

THANK YOU! For a second I thought there was absolutely no way XD
Another problem, guys..

After I tried cng's Dual Screen Script, Pokémon Opal went berserk.. It won't create a new game. It's very, very frustrating..
After a long time of waiting for a response from the application of the game yesterday, it gave me this error:

PokemonEditor:32:in `get'
PokemonEditor:71:in `pbGetSpeciesConst'
PokemonEditor:507:in `pbSaveTrainerBattles'
PokemonEditor:505:in `each'
PokemonEditor:505:in `pbSaveTrainerBattles'
PokemonEditor:489:in `each'
PokemonEditor:489:in `pbSaveTrainerBattles'
PokemonEditor:486:in `open'
PokemonEditor:486:in `pbSaveTrainerBattles'
PokemonTrainers:67:in `pbConvertTrainerData'And I don't understand it at all. Please help..

...wtf? I post something and everyone magically disappears, on two different threads?
problem fixed. geez.

Nickalooose
May 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM
I can make a Dependent event and stop it following you, but is there anyway to then use it as an event on the new map? E.G.

Dependent -> go to new map, talk to event -> Dependent character walks off.

I would actually like to no the answer to the above question, i wanted my dependent event, able to be spoken to, it doesn't seem to wanna use the common event and there is no way to control the dependent event on a different map. The notes.html doesn't tell much about dependent events, maybe a little more info about these events would be quite apprechiated.

Magic
May 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM
I would actually like to no the answer to the above question, i wanted my dependent event, able to be spoken to, it doesn't seem to wanna use the common event and there is no way to control the dependent event on a different map. The notes.html doesn't tell much about dependent events, maybe a little more info about these events would be quite apprechiated.

I actually have the solution, you need to edit the common event so when a certain switch occurs it auto-runs whatever needs to be done.

Maruno
May 31st, 2010, 01:54 PM
I've put a bit of information about dependent events in the wiki page Partner trainer (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Partner_trainer), although it's just a little bit of information (nearly all copied from the notes). It might help, though.

I don't know much about dependent events, but when you make the dependent event stop following you (at a particular place, or by talking at the follower and telling it to stop following in its common event), you can manipulate a new event (stored in a corner of the map out of the way) appear in its place at the same time. Do this by having the follower's common event move the new sprite from its safe position to in front of the player and facing them (by setting its move route). Have one new event per map.

That's just off the top of my head. It's probably more difficult that I've made it sound.

ultron90
June 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
which part of the script in pokemon actualscene should i edit to delete the enemy trainer appearing after winning/losing a battle? i want to make it so that the trainer stays in the battle scene.

Nickalooose
June 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
how would I go about giving an NPC a shiny pokemon? and how do I get an event to tell me, the players trainer id? Thanks in advance.

Maruno
June 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
how would I go about giving an NPC a shiny pokemon? and how do I get an event to tell me, the players trainer id? Thanks in advance.
For shiny pokémon, see the wiki page Trainers (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Individual_trainers) (look at the bottom of the second table on that page, and also the example just below it).

$Trainer.id is the trainer's ID number. Presuming you're putting it in a text message in an event (rather than in a pbMessage type thing in the scripts), first write the ID number to a variable with $game_variables[42]=$Trainer.id, then put "\v[42]" in the text message. Pick a variable to use for yourself - it should be an otherwise unused one, for minimum confusion.

Nickalooose
June 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
thanks Maruno :D, i was trying $trainer.id, forgot it had to be a capital 'T'... i'm trying to create a menu type thing, and im wandering if you'd b able to help me, i'm not makin a new Pokedex or nothing special, just a couple of choices that teleport you elsewhere... if you are willing to help, i would show and explain more to you.

brokenxnote
June 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
is there anyone who could help me with the scripting over maybe AIM or MSN? scripting is the only RMXP function i genuinely SUCK at and i dont have a scripter for the game yet, so im at a loss. i cant get in game screenshots so i can make a Drawing Board thread, because i cant even get the testrun to play anymore, even though i havent changed a single script. everytime i try to open the testrun, i end up getting this:

PokemonLunarVoid

Message: undefined method `play' for #<RPG::SE:0x1284910 @volume=80, @name="Choose", @pitch=100>

PokemonMessages:1366:in `pbMessageDisplay'

PokemonMessages:996:in `pbMessage'

Compiler:3980:in `pbImportNewMaps'

Compiler:3990

OK
and after that it just stays on a black screen with a blank message box and i cant do anything

zingzags
June 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Im still wondering how to change the font size because I want to disable the feature of changing screen size, but i cant do that until i learn how to change font sizes >.>

IGNORED>.> y do i try o.o

Lyzo
June 3rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hey, is there anyway to use "menu_index" for horizontal menu's? I'm trying to make a PokeGear in which the buttons go from right to left instead of up to down. I could also do it by making my own variable, but I was wondering if "menu_index" could also be used for horizontal menu's...

venom12
June 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
How can i check Pokemon species in battle? Like lugia

Maruno
June 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
How can i check Pokemon species in battle? Like lugia
The species is checked when it's looking to see how much damage a move does, if that damage is affected by a species-specific combo (e.g. Cubone and Thick Club). Have a quick look for that, and see how it works.

zingzags
June 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Im still wondering how to change the font size because I want to disable the feature of changing screen size, but i cant do that until i learn how to change font sizes >.>

So yea umm can sum1 help.....

Parismessios3
June 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
hello. I want help. Can anyone give me instructions on how to upgrade from an old version of pokemon essentials to a new one? I would be very appreciated...

Lyzo
June 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hey, is there anyway to use "menu_index" for horizontal menu's? I'm trying to make a PokeGear in which the buttons go from right to left instead of up to down. I could also do it by making my own variable, but I was wondering if "menu_index" could also be used for horizontal menu's...

Coming back to this, as I tried to use a normal variable... But that didn't work :\

I was wondering if someone could help me make a horizontal pokegear. I've made the following code, that should work, but it doesn't :\ :#==============================================================================
# - Scene_Pokegear
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
# Also Modified By OblivionMew
#==============================================================================
class Scene_Pokegear
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# initialize
def initialize(menu_index = 0)
@menu_index = menu_index
@menu_variable = 0
end
# main
def main

# Main Menu settings you can add or change these
commands=[
_INTL("Map"),
_INTL("Radio"),
_INTL("Phone"),
_INTL("Test"),
_INTL("Exit")
]
@sprites={}
@sprites["command_window"] = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
@sprites["command_window"].index = @menu_variable
@sprites["command_window"].x = (Graphics.width - @sprites["command_window"].width) - 8
@sprites["command_window"].y = 640
@sprites["card"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/Pokegearback3")
@sprites["button_choose"] = IconSprite.new(2,0)
@sprites["button_choose"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearChoose")
@sprites["button"] = IconSprite.new(20,264)
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearButton")
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
Graphics.freeze
pbDisposeSpriteHash(@sprites)
end
# update the scene
def update
pbUpdateSpriteHash(@sprites)
if Input.press?(Input::RIGHT)
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearButton3")
case @sprites["command_window"].index
when 0
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 1
when 1
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 2
when 2
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 3
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 0
end
else
end
if Input.press?(Input::LEFT)
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearButton1")
when 0
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 3
when 1
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 0
when 2
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 1
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@menu_variable = 2
end
else
end
when 0
@sprites["button_choose"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearChoose1")
when 1
@sprites["button_choose"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearChoose2")
when 2
@sprites["button_choose"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearChoose3")
when 3
@sprites["button_choose"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearChoose4")
end
#update command window and the info if it's active
if @sprites["command_window"].active
update_command
return
end

end
# update the command window
def update_command
if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
pbPlayCancelSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
when 0
pbPlayDecisionSE()
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/PokeGearButton2")
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
scene=PokemonRegionMapScene.new
screen=PokemonRegionMap.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen
}
when 1
pbPlayDecisionSE()
$scene = Scene_Jukebox.new
when 2
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
PokemonPhoneScene.new.start
}
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
end

It does however work if I replace the [S-HIGHLIGHT]@sprites["command_window"].index[/S-HIGHLIGHT], by [S-HIGHLIGHT]@menu_variable[/S-HIGHLIGHT]... but then the buttons move very quickly...

So, going back to my previous question, is there anyway to use menu_index for a horizontal menu? As that is what I am trying to achieve at the moment...

Aurius
June 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
hello recently started using the PSK and wanted to use some scripts that used earlier in some RPG Maker games like Neo Mode 7, but it throws the error following

Pokemon Essentials

Scene_Map:27:in `initialize'

Scene_Map:27:in `new'

Scene_Map:27:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:26:in `each'

Scene_Map:26:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:58:in `main'

Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main: 16:in `mainFunction'

Main: 16:in `pbCriticalCode'

I hope I help
thanks

zingzags
June 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
hello recently started using the PSK and wanted to use some scripts that used earlier in some RPG Maker games like Neo Mode 7, but it throws the error following

Pokemon Essentials

Scene_Map:27:in `initialize'

Scene_Map:27:in `new'

Scene_Map:27:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:26:in `each'

Scene_Map:26:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:58:in `main'

Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main: 16:in `pbCriticalCode'

I hope I help
thanks

If you want neo mode 7 in PE, you need to have very good coding skills before you do that. The starter kit was edited alot, the people you see around with it have been editing it for a while. Colossal Pokemon manage to finish and edit it to fit his needs.

Tranitar
June 5th, 2010, 08:11 AM
How can I add Fakemon to my game???

Maruno
June 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
How can I add Fakemon to my game???
The wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_new_Pokémon) has a bit of a guide about that.

zingzags
June 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
The wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_new_Pok%C3%A9mon) has a bit of a guide about that.

Maruno do u noe how to change the font size i kinda need help

TACHAN
June 6th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Hi!

Someone knows since I can do a trainer who has pokemon with certain trait (for example, Heracross always with Guts) and distribution of Effort Values(EVs)?

Maruno
June 6th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Maruno do u noe how to change the font size i kinda need help
All I know is how to change the screen size and resolution. I've mentioned this recently, in one of those newbie threads that was asking this. The resolution changes how big the text and maps appear.

Hi!

Someone knows since I can do a trainer who has pokemon with certain trait (for example, Heracross always with Guts) and distribution of Effort Values(EVs)?
The wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers) has a page about trainers and their Pokémon.

The only things you can set about a trainer's Pokémon are:

Species
Level
Moveset
IVs (one number for all of them)
Shininess
Shadow-ness

You could modify the scripts to also allow you to set the Pokémon's gender/nature/ability/nickname/Poké Ball/etc., but that's very complicated. If you can't, just be happy with what you've got. If you have to ask how, you can't.

Tranitar
June 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Ok so I got the Pokemon Stuff added in, now how do I add its Battle Pic??

Front and back...

carmaniac
June 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Ok so I got the Pokemon Stuff added in, now how do I add its Battle Pic??

Front and back...
Not the hardest thing in the world to add in pokemon, just name the battle graphics in the battler folder XXX.png and XXXb.png changing the XXX to the number your added pokemon are in the 'dex.

Tranitar
June 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Ok, Ive got the Front sprite of, Dun Dun Dun! Zorua!!!!!!
and both for Zoroark, but now I need a Zorua Backsprite thats not to small... but ok sized but back onto what I was saying
I'm trying to add this battleback (Below)
http://i45.tinypic.com/k50c34.jpg
But when I try and test it, it shows this (Below)
http://i45.tinypic.com/2vtr602.jpg
How do I fix it?

KitsuneKouta
June 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Ok, Ive got the Front sprite of, Dun Dun Dun! Zorua!!!!!!
and both for Zoroark, but now I need a Zorua Backsprite thats not to small... but ok sized but back onto what I was saying
I'm trying to add this battleback (Below)

But when I try and test it, it shows this (Below)

How do I fix it?
Did you try naming the image battlebg0.png? Also, this isn't the thread for resource requests.

Tranitar
June 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Like just battleBG0 or battleBG008 or something like that? I'll try 0,
Technically I wasnt requesting but Technically I was... so I dont know...
EDIT: It didnt work... Ugh... I wanna change this so bad...
EDIT2: Ok, I just created a new Gym Leader, and Imported the image that might not work... I dont know yet because this keeps popping up (Below)
http://i45.tinypic.com/2qnxjwo.jpg
Did I do something wrong with the Gym Leaders thing?
http://i49.tinypic.com/j6lc8h.jpg

zingzags
June 8th, 2010, 01:32 AM
All I know is how to change the screen size and resolution. I've mentioned this recently, in one of those newbie threads that was asking this. The resolution changes how big the text and maps appear.

Well can you help me on the resize screen>.>
every time i do it my auto tile keeps dissapearing.....
plus i want to delete the change screen size function.(i noe how to delete the change screen size)

KitsuneKouta
June 8th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Like just battleBG0 or battleBG008 or something like that? I'll try 0,
Technically I wasnt requesting but Technically I was... so I dont know...
EDIT: It didnt work... Ugh... I wanna change this so bad...
EDIT2: Ok, I just created a new Gym Leader, and Imported the image that might not work... I dont know yet because this keeps popping up (Below)

Did I do something wrong with the Gym Leaders thing?

The notes give more information on battle backgrounds here (http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#battlebackgrounds). For the Gym Leader problem, I'm not sure but try making sure that the name in the trainer event is the exact same as in the txt file, I think that's what gave me that error before.

Tranitar
June 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ok I dont understand a thing u said about backrounds kitsune but ill just do that later... but right now I got the gym Leader ALMOST fully working theres 2 problems (PIC)
http://i50.tinypic.com/23lz90w.jpg

1. It says his name Twice instead of DarkLeader Kellan.
2. I think his sprite is too small and I can't find another one...

CrystalAngel04
June 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry for the n00b question, but I have read through the notes and 100+pages in this thread but I'm wondering what script controls the sprite graphic and the battle back graphic. I am trying to implement a system where later on the player will gain new outfits. Normally this would be done through a simple "Change Actor Graphic" command but as I understand that has been taken out of use in Pokemon Essentials. Thanks

KitsuneKouta
June 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Sorry for the n00b question, but I have read through the notes and 100+pages in this thread but I'm wondering what script controls the sprite graphic and the battle back graphic. I am trying to implement a system where later on the player will gain new outfits. Normally this would be done through a simple "Change Actor Graphic" command but as I understand that has been taken out of use in Pokemon Essentials. ThanksChanging the OW of your character has to be done with pbChangePlayer, which by default only has 4 options (which shouldn't be too hard to expand, just find the method and modify it). To change the trainer back, look in PokeBattle_ActualScene line 1464 (that's the start). There are three lines soon after that have trback%03d in them. You could do a simple if statement somewhere in there to check if a particular switch is, and if it is use a specified graphic, and use the default graphic in the else statement.

@Tranitar: It looks like you named the trainer type KELLAN, rather than DarkLeader. To resize the graphic, you could use a paint program and just resize it (but it may not look good since it wouldn't be in the 2x2 pixel format anymore). Compare it to the other trainer graphics you have side by side and see if it's really off or not. Also, I'm guessing it was from DPP, which is smaller than RSE.

Tranitar
June 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
No, I named him Darkleader, It did the same thing to the Team Rocket Grunt I got... It named Him... Grunt Grunt... whats wrong with my thing?

ashthebest10
June 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Can anybody tell me how to have character shadows. Like if the character walks by
a street light ect.

KitsuneKouta
June 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
No, I named him Darkleader, It did the same thing to the Team Rocket Grunt I got... It named Him... Grunt Grunt... whats wrong with my thing?I don't have your txt file, so I can't see for sure, but remember that there are two places that have to have the names defined for each trainer. First is the trainer type (like DarkLeader and Team Rocket), second is the individual name (KELLAN and GRUNT). If you name the trainer type GRUNT, and name the trainer GRUNT as well, you'll get GRUNT GRUNT.

@ashthebest10:You could try the notes (http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#lightsources), I didn't see it in the wiki yet though, but you should bookmark both to save yourself the trouble in the future.

ashthebest10
June 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
never mind I was to excited to read the notes more thoroughly. just got Essentials

brian1666
June 9th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I have a problem, when i added a trainer, it worked fine. But when i changed some sprites (Trainer sprites) i get this error when i have been spotted by the trainer:
Message: Section001:112:in `effect?'undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
pbTrainerIntro(:YOUNGSTER)
Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))

RPG__Sprite:397:in `effect?'
RPG__Sprite:396:in `each'
RPG__Sprite:396:in `effect?'
AnimationSprite:27:in `update'
AnimationSprite:81:in `update'
AnimationSprite:80:in `each'
AnimationSprite:80:in `update'
Scene_Map:47:in `updateSpritesets'
Scene_Map:41:in `each'

Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
And when i try wild pokemon encounters, i get this:

RPG__Sprite:112:in `effect?'

Ok I dont understand a thing u said about backrounds kitsune but ill just do that later... but right now I got the gym Leader ALMOST fully working theres 2 problems (PIC)
http://i50.tinypic.com/23lz90w.jpg

1. It says his name Twice instead of DarkLeader Kellan.
2. I think his sprite is too small and I can't find another one...
I don't know 1.
But i maybe know 2. Did you risized the sprite by 200%? Maybe that helps! :D

Maruno
June 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
No, I named him Darkleader, It did the same thing to the Team Rocket Grunt I got... It named Him... Grunt Grunt... whats wrong with my thing?
The first word (e.g. the "Camper" of "Camper Johnny") is the name of the trainer class. This name is shared between all trainers that have that trainer class (e.g. all campers).

The second word ("Johnny") is the name of the individual trainer.

What you want to do is make a trainer class called "Team Rocket", and then make a bunch of individual trainers called "Grunt". Remember to number them, because they all have the same name and trainer class.

The same goes for your Kellan. "Kellan" is the individual trainer's name, and "Dark Leader" is the trainer class's name. Note that, if you have multiple different Dark Leaders in your game, the internal name of that trainer class should be called something like "DARLEADER_Kellan". All of those "Dark Leader" trainer classes can have the same displayed name, though; only their internal names need to be different.

thepsynergist
June 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Okay, so I finally got a movie (avi format) to work in my game. The problem is when it ends or a player forces it to end, I get this error, any idea on what I did wrong? And just if it matters, I didn't edit the Scene_Map script at all. Just Main.

Script 'Scene_Map' line 26: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'maps' for nil:NilClass

~SF3~
June 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I modified the Intro Script so when it put you on a map, it would put the character on the map i designed. I did nothing more than change the last transfer player from the default map to my map. But after the intro completes, it puts the OW on my map but it wont let him move?

ashthebest10
June 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Anybody know where a good ring menu script is?

KitsuneKouta
June 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Anybody know where a good ring menu script is?Why a script? I did it with a single common event, it's fairly simple (although I re-instituted button input processing to do it). I don't think anyone has gone through the extra trouble of making it into a script when eventing is so much easier.

Peeky Chew
June 10th, 2010, 05:07 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/jippily/ARGH.png
Why does this happen? Why don't I have an answer after asking for half a year?

Colbex
June 10th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hm... when erasing tiles you should always you the very first blank white tile next to your autotiles. If you use any others it'll be the same as a new, transparent tile that's passable. The best thing to do is to "wipe" the map with the first blank tile except in places there's another tile. (ex: in layer 3, you would want to use the first transparent tile on everything other than tiles already in the layer three layer and so on)

If that doesn't work, trace your events in nearby locations and make sure "always on top" or "through" isn't on.
If neither of those work then I'm not sure.

Peeky Chew
June 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hm... when erasing tiles you should always you the very first blank white tile next to your autotiles. If you use any others it'll be the same as a new, transparent tile that's passable. The best thing to do is to "wipe" the map with the first blank tile except in places there's another tile. (ex: in layer 3, you would want to use the first transparent tile on everything other than tiles already in the layer three layer and so on)

If that doesn't work, trace your events in nearby locations and make sure "always on top" or "through" isn't on.
If neither of those work then I'm not sure.Oh my god, it worked! Thank you so much! I've always used a tile next to the others because I thought the one at the top left would be filled up with an auto tile. Thanks again and this should really be added to the notes.

thepsynergist
June 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Okay, so I finally got a movie (avi format) to work in my game. The problem is when it ends or a player forces it to end, I get this error, any idea on what I did wrong? And just if it matters, I didn't edit the Scene_Map script at all. Just Main.

Script 'Scene_Map' line 26: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'maps' for nil:NilClass

Sorry, but I can't release my new demo until this gets fixed...any idea whats wrong?

ashthebest10
June 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Why a script? I did it with a single common event, it's fairly simple (although I re-instituted button input processing to do it). I don't think anyone has gone through the extra trouble of making it into a script when eventing is so much easier.
Could you explain how you did that? I know I need to have the proper Icons but I still don't understand how to do it. Thanks for the help, I would have kept searching forever for a script but your right, it would be way to much trouble.

Pichuichu
June 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
When ever I add a .GIF to the title screen it shows the first image and wait for me to press SPACE and then go's on to pic_2 sorry if this is n00bish...

All I want is an animated title screen thanks

brian1666
June 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I have a problem, when i added a trainer, it worked fine. But when i changed some sprites (Trainer sprites) i get this error when i have been spotted by the trainer:
Message: Section001:112:in `effect?'undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
pbTrainerIntro(:YOUNGSTER)
Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))

And when i try wild pokemon encounters, i get this:

RPG__Sprite:112:in `effect?'

Cause no one really answered my question, can someone help me? If i can't fix this, i have to start over my game! :'(

Speedblitza
June 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hello, i wanted to make a partner trainer but i got this mistake:

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'compile error
(eval):2: syntax error
(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
^
***Line '(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at
the end of the last line
***Full script:
pbRegisterPartner

Interpreter:258:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'
Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:100:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
Scene_Map:111:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'

Maruno
June 12th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hello, i wanted to make a partner trainer but i got this mistake:

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'compile error
(eval):2: syntax error
^
***Line '(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at
the end of the last line
***Full script:
pbRegisterPartner

Interpreter:258:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'
Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:100:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
Scene_Map:111:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'
Try reading the error first. It's not difficult.

Ziebart23
June 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Um, I've kinda got a problem...

I used the wiki site for getting the dual screen and I am trying to get an image to get onto the bottom of the screen in the intro to the game, so I use option 7.1 and get:
Pokemon Essentials

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):1: syntax error
Code: Show.picture("introbg2")
^

***Full script:

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Joseph\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

and when I use option 7.2, the picture just doesn't show up at all. Can someone help me?

Speedblitza
June 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Try reading the error first. It's not difficult.

I dont know, what I did wrong, I made it like in the notes, this is my script: pbRegisterPartner

I am german and I dont know, what i should do exactly.

Ziebart23
June 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I dont know, what I did wrong, I made it like in the notes, this is my script: pbRegisterPartner
PBTrainers(::Maiket,"Maike",0)

I am german and I dont know, what i should do exactly.

I'm not sure if that's correct, but try it out

also:

Um, I've kinda got a problem...

I used the wiki site for getting the dual screen and I am trying to get an image to get onto the bottom of the screen in the intro to the game, so I use option 7.1 and get:
Pokemon Essentials

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):1: syntax error
^

***Full script:

C:\Users\Joseph\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

and when I use option 7.2, the picture just doesn't show up at all. Can someone help me?

can someone help me out?

KitsuneKouta
June 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I am german and I dont know, what i should do exactly.If you read what Maruno pointed out closely in the error, it says to put the parenthesis on the next line. You have this:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
but it should be this:
pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)

Maruno
June 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
If you read what Maruno pointed out closely in the error, it says to put the parenthesis on the next line. You have this:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
but it should be this:
pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
Exactly. Or just use ExtendText to fit it all on one line.

BallisticBlastoise
June 12th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Im trying to playtest my game and I keep getting this error:

Exception Runtime error
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 600, key WILDITEMRARE

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Nimpe
June 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
When i put in my own sprites, the background isnt transparent... It's a big white box, how do i make it transparent?

carmaniac
June 13th, 2010, 02:28 AM
When i put in my own sprites, the background isnt transparent... It's a big white box, how do i make it transparent?

You can't just insert a sprite by itself and hope the background is transparent. You need to actually import the sprite into RPG Maker using the resource manager then setting the background to colour to transparent. Other option is to make the background transparent in a paint programe that has the capabilities.

wolftamer9
June 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
the worst type of noob question is a complicated one...

I want to make a move that poisons the enemy then makes the user absorb the amount lost by the poison. is that possible? and if so, how?

Pichuichu
June 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hi i was wondering how can i make an animated title screen like blue chrome's for example?

thepsynergist
June 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Okay, I've been trying to get help from Crazyninjaguy about Scene_Movie working as a Title Screen and I've come across a snag, and was hoping people here could help me out. The script I used is in the spoiler tag.

###########################################################
class Scene_Movie
#Created by SoundSpawn
#Fixed by Popper
#Instruction
# 1) Movies must in in a new folder called Movies in your directory
# 2)If you call this script from and event (EG: Call Script: $scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO") )
# 3) Have fun playin movies with this script!!!
def initialize(movie)
@movie_name = RTP.getPath("Movies\\"+movie+".avi").gsub(/\//,"\\")
end

def main
@temp = Win32API.pbFindRgssWindow.to_s
movie = Win32API.new('winmm','mciSendString','%w(p,p,l,l)','V')
x=movie.call("open \""+@movie_name+"\" alias FILE style 1073741824 parent " + @temp.to_s,0,0,0)
@message = Win32API.new('user32','SendMessage','%w(l,l,l,l)','V')
@detector = Win32API.new('user32','GetSystemMetrics','%w(l)','L')
@width = @detector.call(0)
if @width == 640
#fullscreen
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
#fullscreen
end
status = " " * 255
x=movie.call("play FILE",0,0,0)
loop do
sleep(0.1)
@message.call(@temp.to_i,11,0,0)
Graphics.update
@message.call(@temp.to_i,11,1,0)
Input.update
movie.call("status FILE mode",status,255,0)
true_status = status.unpack("aaaa")
if true_status.to_s != "play"
break
end
$scene = Scene_Intro.new(['Pic_1'], 'Pic_2')
break
end
end
end

end

Now for the issue. The video works just great. The problem is that the video is 320x240 resolution and my game is played at 640x480. This issue with this is that the video only plays on the top left corner of the screen, only using 1/4 of the total screen size. The problem is, I want the video to play in the middle of the screen, not the top left corner.

Another issue I have, is that when you try to press a button to get to the actual game, the video doesn't stop playing... Is there a command I can put in the script to stop the movie from playing in addition to forcing it to play in the middle of the screen? I really need this info as soon as someone is able. I plan on releasing a new demo of my game in a few days, and I can't if I can't get this error fixed. Can someone please help me?

Also, I added code into Main after line 17.

if $PokemonTemp.begunNewGame == false
$game_system=Game_System.new
$game_switches = Game_Switches.new
$game_variables = Game_Variables.new
$game_self_switches = Game_SelfSwitches.new
$game_screen = Game_Screen.new
$game_player = Game_Player.new
$ItemData=readItemList("Data/items.dat")
$PokemonMap=PokemonMapMetadata.new
$PokemonGlobal=PokemonGlobalMetadata.new
$PokemonStorage=PokemonStorage.new
$PokemonEncounters=PokemonEncounters.new
$data_system = pbLoadRxData("Data/System")
$MapFactory=PokemonMapFactory.new($data_system.start_map_id) # calls setMapChanged
end Any ideas?

Ziebart23
June 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Is there a way to make that the pokémon that you're battling can't be caught by any means necessary?

Maruno
June 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
For anyone I don't respond to, assume I don't know the answer to your question.

the worst type of noob question is a complicated one...

I want to make a move that poisons the enemy then makes the user absorb the amount lost by the poison. is that possible? and if so, how?
Sounds like Leech Seed to me, only with the "poisoned" part rather than an unmentioned depleting factor. You haven't explained fully how you want it to work (will the life gain only affect the user, or will it affect any Pokémon in its position? Should it be properly treated as the Poisoned status, or can it just mimic it? Note that here, the "user" is the Pokémon that used the move that poisoned/leeches off the "foe"). If you just want a Leech Seed effect, then just use that (and then give that Pokémon the Poisoned status at the end of the battle if it was still being affected by the Poison Leech).

I'll go into this just a little more. Here I assume you want a move that properly poisons the foe, and then any Pokémon in the user's position will leech HP from it. It's a bit fiddly, really. For starters, everything relating to the Leech Seed effect should be copied and renamed, and the effect should poison the foe in addition to activating the Poison Leech effect of the foe. The main difference here is when the HP is restored - at the end of the battle, find where the HP lost due to poison is calculated, and put in an "if" statement somewhere there depending on whether the Poison Leech effect is in play, and if so, give the user that same amount of HP - just mimic the Leech Seed clause in this same part of the scripts, with a few differences. Make sure not to have the foe lose HP again from Poison Leech (as it does from Leech Seed) - instead, use the amount of HP lost to poison, putting it into a temporary variable if necessary.

So in summary, yes, it is possible. And no, I won't go into more detail. I've said all the theory behind it, and all that's left is copy-pasting code. If you don't know how to do that, you shouldn't try.

Is there a way to make that the pokémon that you're battling can't be caught by any means necessary?
In PokeBattle_Battle, there's the def pbThrowPokeBall. You can make one of a few small edits to this, depending on how you want it to work. For all of them, you'll be needing a game switch, which will be ON if no Balls can work, and OFF normally.

If you want the thrown Ball to miss (i.e. the Pokémon is never even drawn into it), then find the small section in which the Ball is deflected if the target is owned by a trainer (and there's no shadow stuff going on). Copy this as an "elsif" clause, change it to require the game switch being ON, and change the message shown to, say, "The Poké Ball missed the target!".

If, however, you just want the Pokémon to always break free (even if it's a Master Ball), then look a little lower down where the Master Ball is mentioned (it sets "shakes" to 4). Just below that, add in an "elsif" clause which requires the game switch being ON, and have it set "shakes" to 0.

That's just a brief outline. Make sure you figure out what's going on. You may want to do something more elaborate depending on whatever circumstances you have (e.g. displaying a special effect of the thrown Ball hitting a magical barrier, or exploding or something) - if so, you'll have to make that yourself.

Gregora
June 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Okay, I hate asking this because it probably has already been covered, but I just set the outdoor maps and now, everything's dark and it's only noon. XD How do I fix this?

Valora17
June 15th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Is there anywhere I can get a PBS file that already has all the moves in it? I noticed that the one in the version I have doesn't have them all, and therefore the pokemon who should have those moves don't have them either. Or would I have to do this manually?

XD003
June 15th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Bah. I get the feeling this has been asked already, but theres so many pages to look through, and the Search didn't help me much.

But, I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to implement new types into the maker? Ex: Bird (Obviously for a specific reason)
2. Is it possible to implement new Pokemon into the maker? Ex: MissingNo (Why else would I want Bird type)
3. In one of the pbs files I saw something about Shadow Moves. Is it possible to integrate that with normal Pokemon moves? If so, how?

I'd really, truly love appreciate it if you could answer. So, thank you in advance.

Maruno
June 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Okay, I hate asking this because it probably has already been covered, but I just set the outdoor maps and now, everything's dark and it's only noon. XD How do I fix this?
It seems to be some kind of bug. It happens to me too - the outdoor shade can change completely between two play tests done five minutes apart. I'd like to know how to fix it.

Is there anywhere I can get a PBS file that already has all the moves in it? I noticed that the one in the version I have doesn't have them all, and therefore the pokemon who should have those moves don't have them either. Or would I have to do this manually?
As the 4th Gen move effects haven't been included in Essentials, there was no reason to include their entries in moves.txt (and in the Pokémon movesets). Unless someone else is willing to share their copies, you'll have to do it yourself. No one said making a game was quick and easy.

Bah. I get the feeling this has been asked already, but theres so many pages to look through, and the Search didn't help me much.

But, I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to implement new types into the maker? Ex: Bird (Obviously for a specific reason)
2. Is it possible to implement new Pokemon into the maker? Ex: MissingNo (Why else would I want Bird type)
3. In one of the pbs files I saw something about Shadow Moves. Is it possible to integrate that with normal Pokemon moves? If so, how?

I'd really, truly love appreciate it if you could answer. So, thank you in advance.
1. Yes. See the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_new_Pok%C3%A9mon)
2. Yes. See the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon)
3. Shadow moves can be put into Essentials. I don't know what you mean by "integrate them with normal Pokémon moves", though. You mean replace them with regular moves upon purification? Well, I don't know. You can always try purifying something and see what happens.

XD003
June 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
1. Yes. See the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_new_Pok%C3%A9mon)
2. Yes. See the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon)
3. Shadow moves can be put into Essentials. I don't know what you mean by "integrate them with normal Pokémon moves", though. You mean replace them with regular moves upon purification? Well, I don't know. You can always try purifying something and see what happens.

Alright, will do. Also, what I mean is. Is it possible to make the Pokemon learn Shadow Moves even when they aren't a shadow Pokemon?

Maruno
June 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Alright, will do. Also, what I mean is. Is it possible to make the Pokemon learn Shadow Moves even when they aren't a shadow Pokemon?
As far as I know, there's no reason they can't - they're defined as moves just like the others (same goes for the Shadow type). Then again, I know nothing about Shadow Pokémon, so I don't know if there's some weird extra factor going on that might prevent it. As I said before, a quick test should give you the answer.

XD003
June 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM
As far as I know, there's no reason they can't - they're defined as moves just like the others (same goes for the Shadow type). Then again, I know nothing about Shadow Pokémon, so I don't know if there's some weird extra factor going on that might prevent it. As I said before, a quick test should give you the answer.

Alright. I'll be sure to check later. Also, one last question I just thought of (Thought of it because of reading the Adding Pokemon page on the Wiki). Is it possible to make a Pokemon evolve depending on the location where it is?

Edit: Also, I just now tried to put a new Pokemon in. I keep getting an error. I'll post the error and what I added if anyone has any input on why its messing up.

[494]
Name=MISSINGNO.
InternalName=MISSINGNO
Type1=FLYING
;Type1=GLITCH
BaseStats=33,136,0,32,6,6
Moves=1,WATERGUN,1,SKYATTACK,
GenderRate=Genderless
BaseEXP=125
EffortPoints=1,3,-3,1,2,2
Height=3.048
Weight=1590.839160064
Kind=Glitch
Pokedex=MissingNo. is infamous throughout Kanto for the ability to corrupt a trainers Hall of Fame data.
Color=Purple
Rareness=3
StepsToHatch=65536
Compatability=15,15
Abilities=Duplication,Hax
;Evolution=HIBAKTOL,location
Habitat=Rare

And heres the error:

Pokemon Essentials

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1569:in `each_line'

Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2163:in `open'

Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

C:\Users\Andrew\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

Second Edit: As seen above, I want to add abilities. Is it possible? I checked the wiki, but it didnt seem to have a page.

Maruno
June 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Alright. I'll be sure to check later. Also, one last question I just thought of (Thought of it because of reading the Adding Pokemon page on the Wiki). Is it possible to make a Pokemon evolve depending on the location where it is?
Yes. Check the Evolution (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution#Location) page. It's not implemented, for obvious reasons (every game has different maps), but it's not too difficult. Just make sure you know where to put the new method (i.e. above the HappinessDay/HappinessNight ones).

Edit: Also, I just now tried to put a new Pokemon in. I keep getting an error. I'll post the error and what I added if anyone has any input on why its messing up.

[494]
Name=MISSINGNO.
InternalName=MISSINGNO
Type1=FLYING
;Type1=GLITCH
BaseStats=33,136,0,32,6,6
Moves=1,WATERGUN,1,SKYATTACK,
GenderRate=Genderless
BaseEXP=125
EffortPoints=1,3,-3,1,2,2
Height=3.048
Weight=1590.839160064
Kind=Glitch
Pokedex=MissingNo. is infamous throughout Kanto for the ability to corrupt a trainers Hall of Fame data.
Color=Purple
Rareness=3
StepsToHatch=65536
Compatability=15,15
Abilities=Duplication,Hax
;Evolution=HIBAKTOL,location
Habitat=Rare

And heres the error:

Pokemon Essentials
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
Compiler:1569:in `each_line'
Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'
Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2163:in `open'
Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4034

C:\Users\Andrew\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.
OK
Several people have had this problem, and I don't know the solution.

Since the error in your case is in section 493 (Arceus), find the "WildItemRare" line in there and copy-paste another equals sign over the one in that line. I don't know if this will work, but I know why it might - you can have two different symbols in a character set (font) that look the same, but according to the computer they aren't. This line appears to be using the wrong kind of equals sign, so instead you should copy one of the ones you know does work.

That's my theory, anyway. Please let everyone know if it does work.

Second Edit: As seen above, I want to add abilities. Is it possible? I checked the wiki, but it didnt seem to have a page.
Of course it's possible to add abilities, but it's very complicated. Each ability is different, and thus goes in different parts of the scripts (e.g. Intimidate, Overgrow, Air Lock, Drizzle, Forecast and Magnet Pull all do completely different things).

There can never be any real guide for abilities, other than points for the most common effects (I don't know what those might be, though). You should just assume messing around with abilities in any way is an advanced coding technique, and if you don't already know how to do it, you shouldn't try.

XD003
June 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Yes. Check the Evolution (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution#Location) page. It's not implemented, for obvious reasons (every game has different maps), but it's not too difficult. Just make sure you know where to put the new method (i.e. above the HappinessDay/HappinessNight ones).

I read over it and didn't understand it fully. I wasn't sure what to do with it at all.

Several people have had this problem, and I don't know the solution.

Since the error in your case is in section 493 (Arceus), find the "WildItemRare" line in there and copy-paste another equals sign over the one in that line. I don't know if this will work, but I know why it might - you can have two different symbols in a character set (font) that look the same, but according to the computer they aren't. This line appears to be using the wrong kind of equals sign, so instead you should copy one of the ones you know does work.

That's my theory, anyway. Please let everyone know if it does work.

Figured out my issue. It was the Semicolons. I tested it when adding another Pokemon, and had the Semicolons, and the error returned. When I removed the Semicolons it seemed to work. Don't quite know if it's a Permanent Fix, but it's worth a shot.

I tried what you said first off, adding everything it said it was missing. But even it was fixed, it kept saying File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare. So I messed around with a bit, noticed I forgot some things in 494, added those in, then removed the extra entries and then removed the semicolons. I only figured out the error when I did the same with 495. I had a Semicolon around Type2= because I hadn't added its new type yet, and the error came back, same error, but this time for 494. First thing I did was remove the Semilcolons because everything else was correct, and somehow it was fixed.

Of course it's possible to add abilities, but it's very complicated. Each ability is different, and thus goes in different parts of the scripts (e.g. Intimidate, Overgrow, Air Lock, Drizzle, Forecast and Magnet Pull all do completely different things).

There can never be any real guide for abilities, other than points for the most common effects (I don't know what those might be, though). You should just assume messing around with abilities in any way is an advanced coding technique, and if you don't already know how to do it, you shouldn't try.
Alright, Thanks for the help anyways.

Also, its funny. I'm finding I have so much better luck doing stuff in RPG Maker than I ever did in Hacking.

Maruno
June 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I read over it and didn't understand it fully. I wasn't sure what to do with it at all.
It's assumed people who want to mess around with the scripts actually know a little bit about scripting. Despite the lack of screenshots, I think there's enough information there to allow people to add in new evolution methods, as long as they know what they're doing. Really, unless you're willing to sit down and actually learn a bit of RGSS and figure out for yourself how Essentials works, you shouldn't even be thinking about messing with the scripts at all.

Figured out my issue. It was the Semicolons. I tested it when adding another Pokemon, and had the Semicolons, and the error returned. When I removed the Semicolons it seemed to work. Don't quite know if it's a Permanent Fix, but it's worth a shot.
I did notice those semi-colons, but I didn't think you were actually including them (because that's just a silly thing to do). If you want to quote something out, use # at the beginning of the line. Again, learn some RGSS basics.

I tried what you said first off, adding everything it said it was missing. But even it was fixed, it kept saying File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare. So I messed around with a bit, noticed I forgot some things in 494, added those in, then removed the extra entries and then removed the semicolons. I only figured out the error when I did the same with 495. I had a Semicolon around Type2= because I hadn't added its new type yet, and the error came back, same error, but this time for 494. First thing I did was remove the Semilcolons because everything else was correct, and somehow it was fixed.
Interesting. So when it said there was an error in section 493, it's actually referring to the 494th Pokémon - makes sense, since the section number count will be zero-based. Worth bearing in mind.

XD003
June 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
It's assumed people who want to mess around with the scripts actually know a little bit about scripting. Despite the lack of screenshots, I think there's enough information there to allow people to add in new evolution methods, as long as they know what they're doing. Really, unless you're willing to sit down and actually learn a bit of RGSS and figure out for yourself how Essentials works, you shouldn't even be thinking about messing with the scripts at all.

I'll keep that in mind when I get further on in my project.

I did notice those semi-colons, but I didn't think you were actually including them (because that's just a silly thing to do). If you want to quote something out, use # at the beginning of the line. Again, learn some RGSS basics.

Scripting for anything has always been a pain for me. I could always attempt to learn RGSS and hope to understand it.

Interesting. So when it said there was an error in section 493, it's actually referring to the 494th Pokémon - makes sense, since the section number count will be zero-based. Worth bearing in mind.
I guess so. At least I know I wont be making that mistake anymore. Thanks for the information.

Delusions of Originality
June 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Which version of Essentials are you using? The newest ones (at least, the most recent ones I downloaded) do include DP moves in moves.txt (haven't really checked the learnsets in pokemon.txt so I don't know if they were added there), although only the moves that share effect codes with earlier moves actually work--aqua tail and focus blast work fine, for example, because they have effects identical to moves like tackle and psychic, but gravity does not work. I don't mind sharing my moves.txt and saving you some typing if you can't get one that includes DP moves (actually, didn't Wichu offer a download of an updated moves.txt somewhere? Try searching for it), although you'll still have to do all of the actual scripting for moves like gravity, natural gift, etc. on your own. If you do end up writing it on your own then you'll want to find the effect codes for existing moves and make sure you're using the right ones for the new moves--poccil has a list of moves by effect code on his website (http://upokecenter.com/games/dp/guides/attacks.php), so that should help.

Valora17
June 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Which version of Essentials are you using? The newest ones (at least, the most recent ones I downloaded) do include DP moves in moves.txt (haven't really checked the learnsets in pokemon.txt so I don't know if they were added there), although only the moves that share effect codes with earlier moves actually work--aqua tail and focus blast work fine, for example, because they have effects identical to moves like tackle and psychic, but gravity does not work. I don't mind sharing my moves.txt and saving you some typing if you can't get one that includes DP moves (actually, didn't Wichu offer a download of an updated moves.txt somewhere? Try searching for it), although you'll still have to do all of the actual scripting for moves like gravity, natural gift, etc. on your own. If you do end up writing it on your own then you'll want to find the effect codes for existing moves and make sure you're using the right ones for the new moves--poccil has a list of moves by effect code on his website (http://upokecenter.com/games/dp/guides/attacks.php), so that should help.

I'm using a relatively old one, I can't remember which update it was but it's from a few months ago. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to save myself the typing; but otherwise I can just do it myself. At least then I'll be able to focus on the scripting more than the actual writing of the attacks and what-not.

thepsynergist
June 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Okay, I've been trying to get help from Crazyninjaguy about Scene_Movie working as a Title Screen and I've come across a snag, and was hoping people here could help me out. The script I used is in the spoiler tag.

class Scene_Movie
#Created by SoundSpawn
#Fixed by Popper
#Instruction
# 1) Movies must in in a new folder called Movies in your directory
# 2)If you call this script from and event (EG: Call Script: $scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO") )
# 3) Have fun playin movies with this script!!!
def initialize(movie)
@movie_name = RTP.getPath("Movies\\"+movie+".avi").gsub(/\//,"\\")
end

def main
@temp = Win32API.pbFindRgssWindow.to_s
movie = Win32API.new('winmm','mciSendString','%w(p,p,l,l)','V')
x=movie.call("open \""+@movie_name+"\" alias FILE style 1073741824 parent " + @temp.to_s,0,0,0)
@message = Win32API.new('user32','SendMessage','%w(l,l,l,l)','V')
@detector = Win32API.new('user32','GetSystemMetrics','%w(l)','L')
@width = @detector.call(0)
if @width == 640
#fullscreen
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
#fullscreen
end
status = " " * 255
x=movie.call("play FILE",0,0,0)
loop do
sleep(0.1)
@message.call(@temp.to_i,11,0,0)
Graphics.update
@message.call(@temp.to_i,11,1,0)
Input.update
movie.call("status FILE mode",status,255,0)
true_status = status.unpack("aaaa")
if true_status.to_s != "play"
break
end
break
end
end
end

end

Now for the issue. The video works just great. The problem is that the video is 320x240 resolution and my game is played at 640x480. This issue with this is that the video only plays on the top left corner of the screen, only using 1/4 of the total screen size. The problem is, I want the video to play in the middle of the screen, not the top left corner.

Another issue I have, is that when you try to press a button to get to the actual game, the video doesn't stop playing... Is there a command I can put in the script to stop the movie from playing in addition to forcing it to play in the middle of the screen? I really need this info as soon as someone is able. I plan on releasing a new demo of my game in a few days, and I can't if I can't get this error fixed. Can someone please help me?

Also, I added code into Main after line 17.

Any ideas?

Ok, can someone at least tell me how to make the video stop playing?

KitsuneKouta
June 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Ok, can someone at least tell me how to make the video stop playing?I'll see if I can get it working. Are you calling it from an event, or using it as the title? I'm just asking because "stopping" it calls the title screen, which you wouldn't want in the middle of playing.

thepsynergist
June 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm using it as the title, not through an event.

XD003
June 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
New question now: The icons used for Party Sprites, when you add a new pokemon, they already have a predetermined icon. Aka, if you add Pokemon 494, it's icon will be Egg, Pokemon 495 will be Manaphy Egg, and so on. Is there any way to make it so the new Pokemon can use a different icon number, without having to change all the numbers for every icon? From what I've assumed, it'd be impossible to change the numbers because of Multi Form pokemon (Ex: Unown, Deoxys, Burmy, Wormadam)

Maruno
June 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
New question now: The icons used for Party Sprites, when you add a new pokemon, they already have a predetermined icon. Aka, if you add Pokemon 494, it's icon will be Egg, Pokemon 495 will be Manaphy Egg, and so on. Is there any way to make it so the new Pokemon can use a different icon number, without having to change all the numbers for every icon? From what I've assumed, it'd be impossible to change the numbers because of Multi Form pokemon (Ex: Unown, Deoxys, Burmy, Wormadam)
The icons numbered 494 and onwards (the eggs and alternate forms) are not actually used, and are just there for completeness (albeit with misleading names). Alternate forms have names like "201_1" (for Unown), and the one egg sprite used (Manaphy's special variant isn't programmed in) is called "iconEgg" and is kept in a different folder.

You can rename the icons with numbers 494 and onwards safely, and replace them with the icons you want.

KitsuneKouta
June 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm using it as the title, not through an event.It took me a while to figure it out, but in the end it was something ridiculously simple. Under the (Input::B) check, put movie.call("close FILE",0,0,0) above the intro scene call. The author neglected that one line (which I found in a different version of the Movie script).

thepsynergist
June 17th, 2010, 06:28 PM
It took me a while to figure it out, but in the end it was something ridiculously simple. Under the (Input::B) check, put movie.call("close FILE",0,0,0) above the intro scene call. The author neglected that one line (which I found in a different version of the Movie script).

You've no idea how thankful I am for this, thank you so much. There is one minor issue still, but you don't have to help with that if you don't want.

All I need to do is figure out how to center my video on the screen, rather than having it sit in the top left corner. If I can't get that to work, I'll have to re-encode the video to 640x480. But if I do that, the file with quadruple in size. It's already 100mb, and I think even that is far too large. Any ideas?

XD003
June 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
The icons numbered 494 and onwards (the eggs and alternate forms) are not actually used, and are just there for completeness (albeit with misleading names). Alternate forms have names like "201_1" (for Unown), and the one egg sprite used (Manaphy's special variant isn't programmed in) is called "iconEgg" and is kept in a different folder.

You can rename the icons with numbers 494 and onwards safely, and replace them with the icons you want.

This just saved my life u.u Now I dont need to worry. Thank you for the help.

KitsuneKouta
June 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM
You've no idea how thankful I am for this, thank you so much. There is one minor issue still, but you don't have to help with that if you don't want.

All I need to do is figure out how to center my video on the screen, rather than having it sit in the top left corner. If I can't get that to work, I'll have to re-encode the video to 640x480. But if I do that, the file with quadruple in size. It's already 100mb, and I think even that is far too large. Any ideas?I don't know if centering is possible, but setting the x and y values should be possible. I could do it for images, and viewports too, but I don't think you can set an x and y for scenes ($scene), so I don't know how to apply it to the video. If I figure something out, I'll be sure to let you know (unless someone else does it first).

thepsynergist
June 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
KK for now, i'll just leave it as is, its a demo, i can say its not perfect :P

XD003
June 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Question, again. Aside from there not being any tiles, would it be possible to make a Sideways Waterfall? Sideways being going from Left-Right and not just Up-Down.

KitsuneKouta
June 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Question, again. Aside from there not being any tiles, would it be possible to make a Sideways Waterfall? Sideways being going from Left-Right and not just Up-Down.Yeah, and it wouldn't be much different from a normal waterfall. I don't know if it would look too good though. Basically, you would need a check to see if the player was facing left, and then right. Then, just add a move right and move left command depending on the direction. This is the waterfall ascending code in PokemonHiddenMoves, with changes in green:
def Kernel.pbAscendWaterfall(event=nil)
event=$game_player if !event
return if !event
return if event.direction=2 # can't ascend if facing down
oldthrough=event.through
oldmovespeed=event.move_speed
terrain=Kernel.pbFacingTerrainTag(nil,event)
return if terrain!=PBTerrain::Waterfall && terrain!=PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest
event.through=true
event.move_speed=2
loop do
event.move_up
terrain=pbGetTerrainTag(event)
if terrain!=PBTerrain::Waterfall && event.direction=6
event.move_right
elsif terrain!=PBTerrain::Waterfall && event.direction=4
event.move_left
end
break if terrain!=PBTerrain::Waterfall && terrain!=PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest
end
event.through=oldthrough
event.move_speed=oldmovespeed
endI can't guarantee that it'll work, since it's off the top of my head, but try it and see. You'll need something similar for descending too.

GameArtistOlivier
June 19th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Hi, I'm new to PC. I have a problem. I went to upokecenter.com and downloaded the pokemon essentials pokestarter kit of may 7, 2010. Unfortunately there isn't a file included called townmapgen.html. They say it's supposed to be there, but it really isn't. Can anybody help?
I don't know if this has already been mentioned.
Thanks in advance.

venom12
June 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hi how can i make animated circle from 4 bitmaps? but moved with up down arrows?

mackoo
June 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I know it may sound stupid, but every time I save a game and turn it off, i don't have "Continue" option after turning it on again. It only says "New Game" and "Options". I tried it on fresh downloaded starter kit in both "Test Play" and "Game.exe". What's the matter?

thepsynergist
June 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I know it may sound stupid, but every time I save a game and turn it off, i don't have "Continue" option after turning it on again. It only says "New Game" and "Options". I tried it on fresh downloaded starter kit in both "Test Play" and "Game.exe". What's the matter?

Game.exe, probably doesn't have read/write permissions.

Move your whole Pokemon folder to either the desktop, or in My Documents, and see if that fixes it.

XD003
June 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I just keep coming back with questions, but I'm learning from them at least.

For some reason I can't seem to get a weather effect working on one of my maps. Any clue why? Could it be because I added a new tileset in? If it is, or isn't, how do I fix it?

Maruno
June 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I just keep coming back with questions, but I'm learning from them at least.

For some reason I can't seem to get a weather effect working on one of my maps. Any clue why? Could it be because I added a new tileset in? If it is, or isn't, how do I fix it?
It won't be because of the tileset. What weather effect are you trying to use, and what have you done to that end?

Simply setting the weather type in metadata.txt should be enough.

XD003
June 19th, 2010, 02:26 PM
It won't be because of the tileset. What weather effect are you trying to use, and what have you done to that end?

Simply setting the weather type in metadata.txt should be enough.

Sandstorm Weather effect. At first i thought there were no graphics for Sandstorm OW, but then I remembered one of the Area maps had it. So I'm not sure what happened.

Cilerba
June 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Sandstorm Weather effect. At first i thought there were no graphics for Sandstorm OW, but then I remembered one of the Area maps had it. So I'm not sure what happened.

Are calling the script, or using the default weather system?

Anyway, I have my own question. (may sound kind of "n00b-ish" though) Is it possible to remove the battle system from Essentials and use it on a default RMXP project? I remember seeing "Pokémon Battle System" on www.upokecenter.com but that's no longer downloadable since it's incorporated with Essentials.

XD003
June 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Are calling the script, or using the default weather system?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. All I know is that I'm opening the Visual Editor and setting the weather from there. It's worked for me before, and I don't know why it's not working now.

Cilerba
June 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean. All I know is that I'm opening the Visual Editor and setting the weather from there. It's worked for me before, and I don't know why it's not working now.

Oh ok. (Didn't know you could do it from the Visual Editor)

Here try this. Go to the map, and set Parallel Process event and call this script:
$game_screen.weather(4,9.0,20)

And if there are any houses (which I doubt since it's a sandstorm map) then edit the door event and before the Transfer Player event, paste this script [v]before[/b] it.
$game_screen.weather(0,0,20)

Let me know how that works out for you :)

XD003
June 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Oh ok. (Didn't know you could do it from the Visual Editor)

Here try this. Go to the map, and set Parallel Process event and call this script:
$game_screen.weather(4,9.0,20)

And if there are any houses (which I doubt since it's a sandstorm map) then edit the door event and before the Transfer Player event, paste this script [v]before[/b] it.
$game_screen.weather(0,0,20)

Let me know how that works out for you :)

Chances are it'd probably work, but I don't touch something I don't have a general idea about. The same goes for scripting for anything. I can't understand anything in the scripts section, so I'd seriously need someone to dumb that down. But eh, I could always get a scripter in on this project and have them mess around with it.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently. Somehow, the weather is fixed.

Maruno
June 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Edit: Nevermind, apparently. Somehow, the weather is fixed.
That "somehow" is the reason why I never use the editor. I always edit the PBS files directly. It's very easy to see exactly what's going on in there, and you don't need to rely on the editor working properly (which it sometimes doesn't, apparently).

thepsynergist
June 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM
The same thing is happening to me on the Sprite Repositioner, I can't get the back sprites of my fakemon to appear when i'm positioning them. I'm using Luca's Christmas present and it worked fine until then...

No biggie, like Maruno said, you can edit the PBS files directly.

Cilerba
June 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
That "somehow" is the reason why I never use the editor. I always edit the PBS files directly. It's very easy to see exactly what's going on in there, and you don't need to rely on the editor working properly (which it sometimes doesn't, apparently).

Yeah, that's what I do. Although, sometimes when I edit the PBS files directly, they don't save somehow. When that happens I go back to the editor and do it that way.

Oh, and can anyone help me with my "noob-ish" question?
" Is it possible to remove the battle system from Essentials and use it on a default RMXP project? I remember seeing "Pokémon Battle System" on www.upokecenter.com but that's no longer downloadable since it's incorporated with Essentials."

Fraot
June 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hey, hello everyone again!
I kind of re-opened my project since two weeks ago. I've been working on some scripts and that stuff, but I have the same damn question I had before.

How the heck do I initialize a constant on Pokebattle_MoveEffects? I'm using as a basis the pedapp starter kit(it's already too edited and it's not like the pedapp some of you saw before), so the last move effect index is the 114, which is Charge Beam.
I created a move called Fog Rise(115), which turns the weather into fog, since it's a weather, it wasn't hard to make it, I based myself on Sandstorm/Hail/Rain and everything went allright. I also created an ability called Foggy Sky(the equivalent of Drought, Sand Stream or Drizzle) and everything works fine: when a pokemon with that ability is sent out, the sky turns foggy. Also, I created another ability called Fog Sneak, which boosts the user's Attack stat and it's attack increases if there's fog!! BUT, if a pokemon has the move Fog Rise, a damn error prompt pops up when a wild/trainer battle begins(well, when your pokemon is sent out)!!! I'm getting mad because of that.

I enterely copied Sandstorm's effect (with its obvious changes)and there shouldn't be any problem since I added the same effect on the AI script. I don't know how the guy who created the pedapp achieved to make work the move effects he created.

GameArtistOlivier
June 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Why doesn't anybody respond to my reply?? :O
I don't have townmapgen.html because it isn't included in the pokemon essentials anymore... HOW do I get it??

mackoo
June 20th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Game.exe, probably doesn't have read/write permissions.

Move your whole Pokemon folder to either the desktop, or in My Documents, and see if that fixes it.

Sadly, moving folder to desktop or my documents didn't help. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I tried running Game.exe as Administrator. It also already had all permissions in "scurity" tab.

Anyone has any idea what's wrong?

UltramasterBDX
June 20th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hey pll,

I wondered.. how can I fix that annoying text within the ability description? It happens on a fresh unpacked starterkit..

http://i48.tinypic.com/jfgk6d.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/245y69l.png