PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

jm0904
July 19th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Exception: Errno::EINVAL
SpriteWindow:732:in `chdir'
SpriteWindow:732:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:201:in `new'
SpriteWindow:201:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:2911:in `new'
SpriteWindow:2911:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:3740:in `initialize'
PokemonLoad: 13 :in `new'
PokemonLoad: 13 :in `pbStartScene'
PokemonLoad:265:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

Please,,, help me..
I don't know this error message.. please...

Maruno
July 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I've got another question (what a surprise...). I can't seem to find on Wiki or in notes instructions for making trainer battle during event (I mean to call some script to start specific trainer battle). I also need to allow player to lose the battle.
I've tried just making conditional branch with script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PkMn Trainer_Alice,"Alice",_I("Excellent."),false,0,true)But some error pops up. I guess I don't even have to post it, because probally I did everything wrong :(
How could you possibly guess that? You don't think that maybe, just maybe, the error messages serve a purpose in actually stating what the error is, thus allowing you (or whoever you've roped into doing your work for you) to fix it?

Your error occurred because of the space in the trainer type (the "PkMn Trainer"). Don't use spaces, and make sure it looks exactly the same as it does in trainers.txt.

This ignores the fact that there are instructions for how to make a player continue even after losing a battle, and that all trainer battles are caused by a script in an event.

ashthebest10
July 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thank you.
How to created a animated trainer in battle, for example, a leader?

Check out the Pokemon Essentials Wiki and look under battle. It's a guide by Luka. it works great for animating the pokemon.
Check out the Merry christmas thread by Luka for how to make an animated trainer.

Colbex
July 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Yes

WERE CREATING A POKEMON GAME?
Erm...What? Uh, use Pokemon Essentials, a starter kit for RPG Maker XP.

HOW CAN I ADD A RUNNING SPRITE?
Use the editor that comes with essentials.

HOW CAN I ADD A SURFING SPRITE?

HOW CAN I ADD A BIKING SPRITE?

AND HOW CAN I RESIZE IT?
Resize images by using....
Paint. ._.

PLS> I REALLY NEED THIS?
...that's not really a question... is it? x_X

T^T
(>^(>T~T)>

Obviously, my answers to your predicaments are in red. o.o

On a side note, I just realized text inside of quote tags aren't counted as part of the message. It makes sense now that I think about it, but it never even crossed my mind until now. o.o

oh, and @jm0904: Just were you trying to do that caused an error message like that? I've never seen anything like that before. x_X

jm0904
July 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
jm0904: Just were you trying to do that caused an error message like that? I've never seen anything like that before. x_X

I want to make a new version soon.
Starter Kit for the other know?

Colbex
July 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
So... you were trying to update the essentials starter kit, and you changed something that caused that error, right?

jm0904
July 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM
So... you were trying to update the essentials starter kit, and you changed something that caused that error, right?

No. I don't touched starter kit.
Just had to play only a test.

Colbex
July 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
so... you were playtesting a blank file... what? ._. I'm soorry, I can't figure out what you're trying to say. could you post screenshots of what you were doing during/prior to the error? x.x

jcou
July 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hey, im new here and im sorry if this have been posted before, but i been using Pokemon essentials, but when ever i try playing the game i usually get cut off by this message:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'

PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'

PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'

PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'

PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'

PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'

PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'

Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:179:in `update'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

anyone know what im suppose to do?

jm0904
July 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
so... you were playtesting a blank file... what? ._. I'm soorry, I can't figure out what you're trying to say. could you post screenshots of what you were doing during/prior to the error? x.x

I upload this screenshot.
I don't know this problem... T^T

mackoo
July 19th, 2010, 11:07 PM
How could you possibly guess that? You don't think that maybe, just maybe, the error messages serve a purpose in actually stating what the error is, thus allowing you (or whoever you've roped into doing your work for you) to fix it?

Your error occurred because of the space in the trainer type (the "PkMn Trainer"). Don't use spaces, and make sure it looks exactly the same as it does in trainers.txt.

This ignores the fact that there are instructions for how to make a player continue even after losing a battle, and that all trainer battles are caused by a script in an event.
Well I know there are instructions how to make player continue even ater losing the battle but they are designed to be placed in normal trainer event, and I wasn't shure if I can use them in making trainer battle by calling script in other event. Anyway, I got another error.

Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 4, map 54 (Oceanshore City):

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'The trainer 'PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice' is not valid. Please add the trainer

to the list of trainer types in the Editor. See the notes for

more information.

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice,"Alice",_I("Excellent."),false,0,true)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Maćko\Saved Games/errorlog.txt.

OK

I used conditional branch with script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice,"Alice",_I("Excellent."),false,0,true)
I'm shure everything now looks like in trainers file, and I've also tried using script without "_Female".

carmaniac
July 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I swear new people just don't make an effort to post things related to the essentials kit inside the actual thread instead of making a new one.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=105731
And it looks like you got an old version of the starter kit, try download the latest one from poccil's site.

mr. ck
July 20th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I swear people just don't make an effort to click the report button instead of mini-modding :)

Maruno
July 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
On a side note, I just realized text inside of quote tags aren't counted as part of the message. It makes sense now that I think about it, but it never even crossed my mind until now. o.o
That's a pet hate of mine. Quote boxes are for what the quoted person said. The rest of your post is for what you want to say. It's just polite to not put your words in other people's mouths, y'know?

Well I know there are instructions how to make player continue even ater losing the battle but they are designed to be placed in normal trainer event, and I wasn't shure if I can use them in making trainer battle by calling script in other event. Anyway, I got another error.

Message: Script error within event 4, map 54 (Oceanshore City):
Exception: NameError
Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'The trainer 'PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice' is not valid. Please add the trainer
to the list of trainer types in the Editor. See the notes for
more information.

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice,"Alice",_I("Excellent."),false,0,true)

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

C:\Users\Maćko\Saved Games/errorlog.txt.
OK

I used conditional branch with script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice,"Alice",_I("Excellent."),false,0,true)I'm shure everything now looks like in trainers file, and I've also tried using script without "_Female".
If you're certain that the trainer type "PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice" exists in trainers.txt, and that the trainer "Alice" has been defined in trainernames.txt as having this class (check the spelling here too), then the only think I can suggest is that you haven't recompiled the game after making those changes.

Yuoaman
July 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
This thread will be moved to the Pokemon Essentials thread, where it belongs. Carmaniac, please do not mini-mod - just report the post, and Mr. CK, again just report the posts, don't comment on them.

Maruno
July 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hey, im new here and im sorry if this have been posted before, but i been using Pokemon essentials, but when ever i try playing the game i usually get cut off by this message:

Pokemon Essentials

OK

anyone know what im suppose to do?
You should upgrade to the latest version of Essentials, as I've mentioned in this thread very recently.

mackoo
July 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM
If you're certain that the trainer type "PkMnTRAINER_Female_Alice" exists in trainers.txt, and that the trainer "Alice" has been defined in trainernames.txt as having this class (check the spelling here too), then the only think I can suggest is that you haven't recompiled the game after making those changes.

Thanks for help, I just misunderstood something in notes, but now everything works fine.
[EDIT]
Another problem showed up. What means this error?:

Interpreter:509:in `command_end'

Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'

Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

It shows up when I'm trying to enter map, that was previously working with no problem. I have no idea what happened.
I didn't modify any scripts, and I recompiled the game.

Minorthreat0987
July 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Does any one know how to display the Pokemon icon on the summary screen?

KitsuneKouta
July 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Not really sure where to post this, and since it's essentials related, I'll ask it here. Should I start a thread that basically walks novice developers through the meanings behind the different error messages in essentials (and basically error messages in general)? People keep posting the same errors, and they keep getting answered over and over.

MaddSkeelz
July 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Ya, u should deffinently make one like that. I just started making a game, and im not doing to bad, but that would make it a lot easier!

brokenxnote
July 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM
When trying to leave from my first town to the next route:

PokemonLunarVoid

RPG__Sprite:112:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:397:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:396:in `each'

RPG__Sprite:396:in `effect?'

AnimationSprite:27:in `update'

AnimationSprite:81:in `update'

AnimationSprite:80:in `each'

AnimationSprite:80:in `update'

Scene_Map:47:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:41:in `each'

I used the visual editor and made sure the edges matched up, but still got this.

Maruno
July 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Not really sure where to post this, and since it's essentials related, I'll ask it here. Should I start a thread that basically walks novice developers through the meanings behind the different error messages in essentials (and basically error messages in general)? People keep posting the same errors, and they keep getting answered over and over.
There's a page for exactly that just waiting to be made on the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages)

maldicion069
July 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hello again.
I need help with the lottery.
Could anyone give me a daily lottery system for my Pokemon game, with prizes handed out on console games?.
Another question, how I can make an event or switch is reactivated every day?
So I need the days to the Apricorn.
Thanks

KitsuneKouta
July 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
There's a page for exactly that just waiting to be made on the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages)All right, I'll put what I have right now on it.

@maldicion069: The notes and the wiki both describe daily events. For the lottery system, I'm not really sure what sort of lottery system you're looking for. If it's something like slot machines, I don't think you'll find it (I think someone was working on one though).

jm0904
July 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Exception: Errno::EINVAL
SpriteWindow:732:in `chdir'
SpriteWindow:732:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:201:in `new'
SpriteWindow:201:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:235:in `new'
SpriteWindow:235:in `pbGetAutotile'
Spriteset_Map:132:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
Spriteset_Map:130:in `each'
Spriteset_Map:130:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'
I do not speak English very well because the Koreans do.
Please fix the errors.

xElite
July 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Are we forced to use .mid BGM to get it to loop properly? I spent a ton of time to make sure that my .mp3s don't cut out so they loop correctly. So I import them and play them in a battle, and there's a delay before it loops again. Is there any way to correct this, or am I forced to use .mid?

thepsynergist
July 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Are we forced to use .mid BGM to get it to loop properly? I spent a ton of time to make sure that my .mp3s don't cut out so they loop correctly. So I import them and play them in a battle, and there's a delay before it loops again. Is there any way to correct this, or am I forced to use .mid?

You can edit an mp3 to loop better by editing it in a free program called Audacity.

Google it and download it. It will help you a lot. Just highlight and delete the straight lines that appear in the audio at the beginning and the end.

Can anyone help me with a major bug?

Apparently when the foe uses the move "Knock Off", it physically destroys the item, rather than place it in your bag. This is very serious, and I want to know if anyone has a fix for this. I don't want to have to upgrade my Pokemon Essentials script as I heavily modified it already.

KitsuneKouta
July 23rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
You can edit an mp3 to loop better by editing it in a free program called Audacity.

Google it and download it. It will help you a lot. Just highlight and delete the straight lines that appear in the audio at the beginning and the end.

Can anyone help me with a major bug?

Apparently when the foe uses the move "Knock Off", it physically destroys the item, rather than place it in your bag. This is very serious, and I want to know if anyone has a fix for this. I don't want to have to upgrade my Pokemon Essentials script as I heavily modified it already.I'm just sort of throwing this idea out there, but you should be able to modify the script that deals with the move knock off to include a line that adds the item to the bag (like the pbRecieveItem command, except I think there's a silent version). If I get around to looking at it, I'll post a more specific solution.

mackoo
July 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
What means this error?

Game_Character_1:184:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:129:in `update_or'

Spriteset_Map:275:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:270:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:270:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:79:in `update'

I checked Wiki and Reading error messeages thread but I couldn't find the answer. It just happens on one map, what's wrong?

KitsuneKouta
July 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM
What means this error?

Game_Character_1:184:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:129:in `update_or'

Spriteset_Map:275:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:270:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:270:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:79:in `update'

I checked Wiki and Reading error messeages thread but I couldn't find the answer. It just happens on one map, what's wrong?Check the events on that map. You may have one that makes an invalid script call or something like that (and it's autorun or parallel process if you get the error immediately). Try to find what you think might be causing the problem, so that we can help you sort it out better.

Valora17
July 24th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Two things, and I know one has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer >>;

How do I change the Day/Night settings? I was playing at about 2PM yesterday and it was already night-time in-game. I assume it's a global switch (I saw this on the wiki), but I don't exactly know where to find it...

Second: I am using Fakemon AND real Pokemon in my game, so my numbers go over the regular 493 in the PBS file, however 494 and up (I can't remember to which number EXACTLY) have party icons already. My question is, how do I change it so that those party icons are assigned to different numbers without renumbering my fakemon?

maldicion069
July 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I have a doubt with editor.exe and metadata.txt.
What is SNAPEDGES What HEALING POINT?
Please help me, because no progress because of this.
Thanks

Maruno
July 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Two things, and I know one has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer >>;

How do I change the Day/Night settings? I was playing at about 2PM yesterday and it was already night-time in-game. I assume it's a global switch (I saw this on the wiki), but I don't exactly know where to find it...

Second: I am using Fakemon AND real Pokemon in my game, so my numbers go over the regular 493 in the PBS file, however 494 and up (I can't remember to which number EXACTLY) have party icons already. My question is, how do I change it so that those party icons are assigned to different numbers without renumbering my fakemon?
Day/night supposedly depends on your computer's clock (not a switch), although I've been having weird things happen with the illumination too. I don't know what the problem is.

Those extra icons that come with Essentials with numbers above 493 are just there for completeness. They are not used for anything, and you can safely replace them with your fakemon icons. Note that you should probably rename them instead, though, as currently most Pokémon with alternate forms don't actually have usable icons to go with them.

I have a doubt with editor.exe and metadata.txt.
What is SNAPEDGES What HEALING POINT?
Please help me, because no progress because of this.
Thanks
The wiki can answer both of those questions. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Maps) And given they're both optional settings, that's no excuse for not being able to continue with your game.

Seven Dragons
July 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM
You should upgrade to the latest version of Essentials, as I've mentioned in this thread very recently.

I have the exact same problem, and the script seems to be calling data from a windows widget that is for Vista not WinXP...

Also, I have the latest version

The exact error is this:

Pokemon Essentials

OK

I am not that great at scripting but I tried to deduce the problem. The line of code in question is really 289:

wcache=ENV["LOCALAPPDATA"]+"\\Microsoft\\Windows Sidebar\\Cache\\168522d5-1082-4df2-b2f6-9185c31f9472"

I believe it's trying to get weather data from a Vista widget that XP users won't have on their system. I tried to use an older version of the game and it works fine, is there any way somebody could cosmetically repair this line of code properly so that it reflects the weather for XP users?

joe619
July 24th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Is anyone else having trouble getting the day/night tint on Pokemon Essentials to work? I need it for a game I'm developing, and it doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated.

Maruno
July 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have the exact same problem, and the script seems to be calling data from a windows widget that is for Vista not WinXP...

Also, I have the latest version

The exact error is this:

Pokemon Essentials

OK

I am not that great at scripting but I tried to deduce the problem. The line of code in question is really 289:

wcache=ENV["LOCALAPPDATA"]+"\\Microsoft\\Windows Sidebar\\Cache\\168522d5-1082-4df2-b2f6-9185c31f9472"

I believe it's trying to get weather data from a Vista widget that XP users won't have on their system. I tried to use an older version of the game and it works fine, is there any way somebody could cosmetically repair this line of code properly so that it reflects the weather for XP users?
Looks like poccil updated Essentials and didn't change the "May 7, 2010" tag on his website. Here's me thinking I still had the latest version.

Never mind. For your game making pleasure, I've put up my (probably actual) May 7th 2010 version of Essentials on MegaUpload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4GXNQ8A2). Make with it what you will.

SevenDragons - As Windows XP doesn't have a sidebar, I doubt your problematic line can be "fixed". That whole bit of code should probably just be removed instead. I couldn't say what should be removed, because as mentioned I don't have the stealth version of Essentials, just the one I've uploaded for everyone.

Seven Dragons
July 24th, 2010, 06:24 PM
You sir have saved me many hours of work ^^ Thank you very much Maruno!! Very much appreciated

Yuoaman
July 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm merging this into the correct thread.

LaccyO
July 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I get this problem whenever I encounter a wild Pokémon:

PokeBattle_Battle:523:in `pbSetSeen'
PokeBattle_Battle:638:in `pbStartBattleCore'
PokeBattle_Battle:549:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonField:753:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:752:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonField:754:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:751:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonField:751:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:1069:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'
PokemonField:1092:in `pbOnStepTaken'

I really don't know what to do..

victorspvl
July 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
in double battles in the latest version of the Pokemon Pokemon Starter Kit opponents do not attack, does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks

Vociferocity
July 27th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Does anyone know how to like........get rid of the whole day/night feature? I don't want it gone forever, but I'd like it gone while I'm making/testing my game.

edit: oh lol I can just disable the 'outdoor' setting for those maps in the 'set metadata' thing in the editor. you guys can ignore this post XD

later edit: hmmm okay, looks like if I disable 'outdoor', running shoes aren't able to be used. which makes sense, even if it's annoying. so uhhh is there any other way to disable day/night that doesn't stop you from using running shoes?

Oh, I was also wondering about double battles that use a single trainer sprite (for example, "Old Couple" or "Sis and Bro" or whatever). the wiki says "pbDoubleTrainerBattle triggers a double battle with two separate trainers (this is different to having a single trainer depicting two people - in that case, make a single battle as above and make that a double battle).", but I don't ... really understand what that's saying fff. Can anyone explain how to go about having this kind of double battle?

third and final question - so I have a partner trainer following the playable character at one stage...but instead of walking behind you, she walks next to you? or at least, she doesn't change where she is if you change direction. so if you walk 'through' her and take the lead, she'll follow you. but if you're walking up or down, and she's following you, and then you walk left or right, she's just walking next to you. it looks really weird aldhgs and I have no idea how to fix it.

edit: ......and now she's not doing it anymore. WTF.

mackoo
July 27th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Ok, I've finally fixed my last errors, but I've got another one.
I changed several backgrounds (they match the properly size) and when I tried to use it on one of the routes i simply set in metadata BattleBack to 1. But background and enemy/player bases in battle were just black screen. So I've tried setting it to 01, 001 battlebg1 etc. Everytime same thing happened. What's wrong now?

KitsuneKouta
July 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know how to like........get rid of the whole day/night feature? I don't want it gone forever, but I'd like it gone while I'm making/testing my game.

Oh, I was also wondering about double battles that use a single trainer sprite (for example, "Old Couple" or "Sis and Bro" or whatever). the wiki says "pbDoubleTrainerBattle triggers a double battle with two separate trainers (this is different to having a single trainer depicting two people - in that case, make a single battle as above and make that a double battle).", but I don't ... really understand what that's saying fff. Can anyone explain how to go about having this kind of double battle?The wiki doesn't really tell you how to do it, it just says do it. The notes aren't the easiest to read, but at least they tell you how to do it. Here's an example I put together that should work for making a double battle against a single trainer:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::CAMPER,"Andrew",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),true,0)

To temporarily disable the day/night system, find this (in PokemonUtilities):
ENABLESHADING = true
and set it to false.

Maruno
July 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Oh, I was also wondering about double battles that use a single trainer sprite (for example, "Old Couple" or "Sis and Bro" or whatever). the wiki says "pbDoubleTrainerBattle triggers a double battle with two separate trainers (this is different to having a single trainer depicting two people - in that case, make a single battle as above and make that a double battle).", but I don't ... really understand what that's saying fff. Can anyone explain how to go about having this kind of double battle?
I noticed a slight against the wiki, so I took a look.

It may be a little unclear, but the information is all there. One of the event comments (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Putting_the_trainer_in_the_game) is "DoubleBattle", so you can do it that way. Alternatively, the six arguments of pbTrainerBattle (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Structure_of_trainer_events) are also explained, where the fourth argument is true/false depending on whether it should be a double battle (it's the one just after the message).

KitsuneKouta has already given you the answer, but it's in the wiki too if you do a bit of reading. I've also edited it to make things a little clearer.

Vociferocity
July 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
aww, I didn't mean it as a slight, it just confused me. usually the wiki is really good for solving my problems!

but uhhh I guess I didn't look closely enough? idk. but thanks guys, that totally cleared it all up for me. :)

nmorr
July 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
in double battles in the latest version of the Pokemon Pokemon Starter Kit opponents do not attack, does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks

Really? B/C in mine the second pokemon in the field in the player's party doesn't do anything. It doesn't even gain exp, nor attack. It can just take damage and faint.

Fraot
July 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hello!
Hey, I was testing the May 7th release and I noticed something ugly. The games lags too much, at least compared to the previous one. I don't know if now is a little more hard to process or a script is just not well made, since I tried to edit the graphics frame rate and only the game ran faster but the lag remained.

Seven Dragons
July 29th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Pokemon Essentials

OK

I thought I would post this error here since I am going to bed and I don't have time to figure out what it is. I am just hoping by tomorrow morning somebody who knows what it means will post a helpful reply, if not I will try to figure it out in the morning.

It's a very strange error, it happens when I use a transfer trigger between maps and it only happens between two certain maps nowhere else. And it's the first error I have had in the last 30 or so hours.

Any help is much appreciated.

-Jake

Vociferocity
July 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM
sob I have a really awful problem and I have no idea how to fix it, or even what's causing it. okay basically, if you enter one specific map, the game just...freezes. and makes a really awful sound :( no error message, just frozen game-ness. :(

I thought maybe the map was idk too large and it was breaking it, but if anything it's one of the smallest outdoor maps. it's connected to another map, and if you like...stand in the other map, and just see parts of the connected freeze-y map, nothing bad happens. it's only if you actually enter that map.

I am entirely stumped.

maldicion069
July 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I need help to created HM´s DEFOG.
Please, help me.
If you help me, will sent me a PM.

KitsuneKouta
July 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
sob I have a really awful problem and I have no idea how to fix it, or even what's causing it. okay basically, if you enter one specific map, the game just...freezes. and makes a really awful sound :( no error message, just frozen game-ness. :(

I thought maybe the map was idk too large and it was breaking it, but if anything it's one of the smallest outdoor maps. it's connected to another map, and if you like...stand in the other map, and just see parts of the connected freeze-y map, nothing bad happens. it's only if you actually enter that map.

I am entirely stumped.I would check your events first. You may have a couple of autorun or parallel processing trying to function at the same time. If it's freezing but no error, it's usually because it's trying to process more than one event at the same time (or you may have a loop in one of your events that doesn't have an exit). When that sort of thing happens to me, those are usually the culprits.

@Seven Dragons: someone had that problem a while back, and it was caused by an error in their connections.txt file. Try seeing if you can find and fix it, or clear the whole thing and do it fresh (that's what he did).

@maldicion069: implementing new HMs is usually difficult, especially if you don't know how to script. If you can script, you can base it off of other HMs like surf (you'd probably need a terrain tag for fog, etc). Otherwise, you'll have to convince someone to do it for you.

Vociferocity
July 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I would check your events first. You may have a couple of autorun or parallel processing trying to function at the same time. If it's freezing but no error, it's usually because it's trying to process more than one event at the same time (or you may have a loop in one of your events that doesn't have an exit). When that sort of thing happens to me, those are usually the culprits.

yeah, the map that was freezing had a few autorun events - I removed the last one I'd added, and now it works fine! thanks, dude :)

can't believe I didn't think to check that haha XD

edit: hey, question. say you had to show a character three different pokemon - like, different species of pokemon. how would you...do that? sigh. I'm thinking it would be best to have an empty array that, when you show the character a pokemon, has that pokemon's species added to it. then you can throw in a quick check to see if the next species you show is in the array, and if it isn't, it gets added, etc etc. unfortunately, the bit where you get the species of the pokemon is giving me a bit of trouble. it's easy to check the party for a specific species, but I can't seem to work out how to sort of...reverse that, so it can work out what species of pokemon is first in the character's party. am I missing something super obvious?

kamui19
July 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I get this problem when i enter in the safari zone (i've download the last version of the starter kit and i haven't modify it):

Script 'PokemonUtilities' line 289: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method +' for nil:NilClass

tasmania12
July 30th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but, I downloaded the newest version of Pokemon Essentials and I made my own regional map and the file townmapgen.html won't work. I would click on a city and it doesn't fill in the map position!
Is there any other way to set up the regional map? I also get errors while accessing the map in game, veiwing a Pokemons location in the pokedex, and in the Pokegear. Can someone please help me!

This is the error:

PokemonRegionMap:195:in `pbMapScene'
PokemonRegionMap:282:in `pbStartScreen'
Pokegear:139:in `update_command'
Pokegear:136:in `pbFadeOutIn'
Pokegear:136:in `update_command'
Pokegear:117:in `update'
Pokegear:65:in `main'
Pokegear:62:in `loop'
Pokegear:69:in `main'
PokemonUtilities:1936:in `pbLoadRpgxpScene'

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nmorr
July 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
hey everyone, I have two questions.

1. How to check how many pokemon the player has seen\caught.

2. How to add a pokemon to the pokedex without seeing it in battle or having it.

KitsuneKouta
July 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
It's easy to check the party for a specific species, but I can't seem to work out how to sort of...reverse that, so it can work out what species of pokemon is first in the character's party. am I missing something super obvious? Do you mean check what pokemon is in the first position of the party, or check the species before adding it to the array? How are you "showing" the player the pokemon? If the pokemon already exists in the party, you can use pbChoosPokemon to store the species in a variable, as well as the name(if I'm remembering right). You may want to make an identical method that sets the species to whatever you're "showing" the player instead of the pokemon in the party. I'm not entirely sure if that's what you were needing, but I hope that helps.

@tasmania12: using townmapgen.html was difficult for me when I did it since it's not as clear as it could be. You may just have a field that's improperly set up (it happened to me a few times before I got the hang of it). Just look and see if you can find a problem with how it's configured (and follow the notes or wiki closely) and correct it.

@nmorr: in a script, a line like this should display the number of pokemon owned:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}",$Trainer.pokedexOwned))
while this will show how many you've seen:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}",$Trainer.pokedexSeen))
You can probably mix the two if you want it to show in the same message, like this:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}/{2}",$Trainer.pokedexOwned,$Trainer.pokedexSeen))
Checking them just requires checking those methods ($Trainer.pokedexOwned, and $Trainer.pokedexSeen)

To silently add a pokemon as being seen, use this in a script (not in an event):
@seen[200]=true
Just change the 200 to the ID number of the pokemon.

Vociferocity
July 31st, 2010, 12:17 AM
Do you mean check what pokemon is in the first position of the party, or check the species before adding it to the array? How are you "showing" the player the pokemon? If the pokemon already exists in the party, you can use pbChoosPokemon to store the species in a variable, as well as the name(if I'm remembering right). You may want to make an identical method that sets the species to whatever you're "showing" the player instead of the pokemon in the party. I'm not entirely sure if that's what you were needing, but I hope that helps.

doesn't pbChoosePokemon store the index and the name, not the species? atm it just checks to see if the first pokemon in the party is an egg, and if it isn't, it uhhh attempts to get the species, which is the bit that isn't working. sigh. I thought I'd worked it out, but clearly I haven't, since the first pokemon you show to the character is treated like a new pokemon, but no matter what pokemon you show to the character afterwards, the script reacts as though you've shown that pokemon before.

what I was trying was something like this:

$pokemonshown = []

def pbshowpokemon
y = $Trainer.party[0].species
z = $pokemonshown.length
i = 0
while i <= z do
if y = $pokemonshown[i]
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("You've already shown me this pokemon..."))
break
else
if i = z
$pokemonshown << $Trainer.party[0].species
$game_variables[61] += 1
if $game_variables[61] = 1 or 2
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("What a cool pokemon! Do you have any more you can show me?"))
break
end
else
i += 1
end
end
end
end

but lol it's so not working. fml forever.

Meowth
July 31st, 2010, 12:36 AM
Is there any way Poccils RandomMap Script will work outside of The Essentials Kit? :( The original it was based on wasn't meant for it, but it's all in Japanese... originally he made a standalone script for it but it's not up on the site anymore, and I can't get the one that came with the Essentials kit to work without the rest of the kit.

?Alistair?
July 31st, 2010, 06:19 AM
Could anyone help with this, if so i'll post the bits of corresponding script. Thank

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/Belgarath313/error.jpg

victorspvl
July 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Someone could send-me the last version of Pokémon Essential, with NO BUGS! Please!

thanks!

KitsuneKouta
July 31st, 2010, 06:52 AM
$pokemonshown = []

def pbshowpokemon
z = $pokemonshown.length
i = 0
while i <= z do
if y = $pokemonshown[i]
break
else
if i = z
$game_variables[61] += 1
if $game_variables[61] = 1 or 2
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("What a cool pokemon! Do you have any more you can show me?"))
break
end
else
i += 1
end
end
end
endI think I see your problem now. The highlighted lines should use "==" instead of "=" since the single "=" is actually assigning the value (so it would always return true), while "==" checks whether or not things are equal. It gets me from time to time too, just like those "end" clauses at the end of a script.

@victorspvl: That's more or less the entire purpose of this thread. To find and correct problems with the kit, and support the addition of new functions as well as changes. I don't know if a bug free kit exists, there's just stable ones that mostly work.

Vociferocity
July 31st, 2010, 07:00 AM
I think I see your problem now. The highlighted lines should use "==" instead of "=" since the single "=" is actually assigning the value (so it would always return true), while "==" checks whether or not things are equal. It gets me from time to time too, just like those "end" clauses at the end of a script.

that always gets me! ugh I even remember thinking about that at one stage, I was all "hmm, should that perhaps have two =s? nahhhh". sigh.

unfortunately, it's still not really working. but I think it's getting closer! what it's doing now is actually throwing an error message at me when I show the character a second pokemon. the error is

Message: Script error within event 3, map 22 (Pokemon Centre):
Exception: TypeError
Message: Section153:13:in `<<'cannot convert Fixnum into String

***Full script:
pbshownursepokemon
pokemonshown:13:in `pbshownursepokemon'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `eval'
Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'

tasmania12
July 31st, 2010, 03:34 PM
@tasmania12: using townmapgen.html was difficult for me when I did it since it's not as clear as it could be. You may just have a field that's improperly set up (it happened to me a few times before I got the hang of it). Just look and see if you can find a problem with how it's configured (and follow the notes or wiki closely) and correct it.

I followed the instructions carefully and a small white square is supposed to be where you clicked, but it wont show and fill in the map position. Isn't there another way to do the map? (besides using townmapgen.html)

IceGod64
July 31st, 2010, 06:23 PM
So, I tried talking to the Day-care man with a ditto in the day-care and my game crashed.

Also, has anyone else notice that if your in a city that has its night time song playing, you enter a house that has the same music, and come back out the music stops?

KitsuneKouta
July 31st, 2010, 08:08 PM
that always gets me! ugh I even remember thinking about that at one stage, I was all "hmm, should that perhaps have two =s? nahhhh". sigh.

unfortunately, it's still not really working. but I think it's getting closer! what it's doing now is actually throwing an error message at me when I show the character a second pokemon.That's odd, since I just tried it and the second pokemon didn't cause an error. Maybe there was a typo or something? Here's the exact code I used, so copy/past and see if it works:
$pokemonshown = []

def pbshowpokemon
z = $pokemonshown.length
i = 0
while i <= z do
if y == $pokemonshown[i]
break
else
if i == z
$game_variables[61] += 1
if $game_variables[61] == 1 or 2
break
end
else
i += 1
end
end
end
end

@tasmania12: you could edit the txt file directly, but you'd have to follow the format closely. I just tried the townmapgen.html and the little white square showed up fine. Is the problem getting the square to even appear, or is the problem inputting the information into the boxes?

@IceGod64: Not sure about the first error, but most sound-based problems can be fixed by erasing audio.dll.

Vociferocity
August 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM
That's odd, since I just tried it and the second pokemon didn't cause an error. Maybe there was a typo or something? Here's the exact code I used, so copy/past and see if it works:
$pokemonshown = []

def pbshowpokemon
z = $pokemonshown.length
i = 0
while i <= z do
if y == $pokemonshown[i]
break
else
if i == z
$game_variables[61] += 1
if $game_variables[61] == 1 or 2
break
end
else
i += 1
end
end
end
end

yeah okay, I c/ped that in, and it works perfectly. ughh I don't even understand what went wrong there, it's like the EXACT SAME CODE what ****ing even. /mild rage

anyway, it's all good, so thanks! I ended up throwing the variable manipulation just straight into the event, and that whole part works a lot smoother now, but yeah, it totally works. yay :D

XD003
August 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM
Something I'd like to ask.

I had this problem too, but have just managed to fix it.

In the PokemonEncounters script, you need to replace the lines defining encounters (from line 83) with this:

def pbEncounterType
if $PokemonGlobal && $PokemonGlobal.surfing
return EncounterTypes::Water
elsif self.isCave?
return EncounterTypes::Cave
elsif self.isGrass?
if (Time.now.hour<6||Time.now.hour>=20)
return EncounterTypes::LandNight
elsif (Time.now.hour>6||Time.now.hour<=12)
return EncounterTypes::LandDay
elsif (Time.now.hour>12||Time.now.hour<=20)
return EncounterTypes::LandMorning
elsif pbInBugContest?
if self.hasEncounter?(EncounterTypes::BugContest)
enctype=EncounterTypes::BugContest
end
end

It should be fairly straightforward to see where it goes.

How would I make it so I can encounter certain Pokemon in the water at a certain time?

?Alistair?
August 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Just going to repost, still stuck with the NoMethodError, it's saying that there is an undefined method for pbgetSaveFileName in PokemonLoad 262,

my pokemonload 262 (and surrounding script) looks like this

def pbStartLoadScreen
$PokemonTemp=PokemonTemp.new
$game_temp = Game_Temp.new
$game_system=Game_System.new
$PokemonSystem=PokemonSystem.new if !$PokemonSystem
@scene.pbStartScene
cmdContinue=-1
cmdNewGame=-1
cmdOption=-1
cmdLanguage=-1
commands=[]
savefile=getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata") <--this is the line 262)
FontInstaller.install
data_system = pbLoadRxData("Data/System")
mapfile=$RPGVX ? sprintf("Data/Map%03d.rvdata",data_system.start_map_id) :
sprintf("Data/Map%03d.rxdata",data_system.start_map_id)
if data_system.start_map_id==0 || !pbRgssExists?(mapfile)
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("No starting position was set in the map editor.\1"))
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The game cannot continue."))
@scene.pbEndScene
$scene=nil
return
end

Nytkoi
August 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Okay, does anyone know how to add a new pokemon into Essentials?

tasmania12
August 1st, 2010, 06:56 AM
@tasmania12: you could edit the txt file directly, but you'd have to follow the format closely. I just tried the townmapgen.html and the little white square showed up fine. Is the problem getting the square to even appear, or is the problem inputting the information into the boxes?

My problem is getting the little white square to come up. It won't come up and it wont auto fill the map position.

Okay, does anyone know how to add a new pokemon into Essentials?

just edit pokemon.txt in the PBS folder following this guideline:

[#]
Name=
InternalName=
Kind=
Pokedex=
Type1=
BaseStats=
Rareness=
BaseEXP=
Happiness=
GrowthRate=
StepsToHatch=
Color=
Habitat=
EffortPoints=
Abilities=
Compatibility=
Height=
Weight=
GenderRate=
Moves=
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=
BattlerEnemyY=
BattlerAltitude=0

Nytkoi
August 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks but I have an error;
Pokemon Essentials

Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and

underscores and can't begin with a number.

Make sure the name is defined in

PBS/pokemon.txt.

File PBS/tm.txt, line 8

CHARMANDER,CHARMELEON,CHARIZARD,NIDOQUEEN,NIDOKING,CLEFAIRY,CLEFABLE,VULPIX,NINETALES,JIGGLYPUFF,WIGGLYTUFF,GROWLITHE,ARCANINE,MACHOP,MACHOKE,MACHAMP,GEODUDE,GRAVELER,GOLEM,PONYTA,RAPIDASH,SLOWPOKE,SL...

Compiler:906:in `pbGetConst'

Compiler:925:in `parseSpecies'

Compiler:1478:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:1475:in `each'

Compiler:1475:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:1460:in `each_line'

Compiler:1460:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:3911:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

C:\Users\Aksel Taylan\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

IceGod64
August 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM

You deleted Charmander but did not delete all references to him.

Look for his name in eve txt file, use CTRL+F and search for CHARMANDER in notepad. It will find that text for you automatically so you can delete it yourself.

Also where you delete Charmanders name, make sure you never have two commas next to each other. If you get that, delete one, but leave the other.

Finally, be sure you check all the files in PBS where charmander might be. This includes TM/HMS, breeding scripts, etc.

KitsuneKouta
August 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM
My problem is getting the little white square to come up. It won't come up and it wont auto fill the map position.Maybe it's a problem with your browser? Wherever you click, the tiny white square should appear. If it's not your browser, maybe you could try getting a new townmapgen.html (but I don't see how that would fix it).

tasmania12
August 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
@KitsuneKouta
It works in Google Chrome, ty for suggesting a different browser

IceGod64
August 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
So, does anyone know how to make battle music actually start from the BEGINNING every time? I hate how it'll sometimes start midway through or near the end, depending on when you encounter.

?Alistair?
August 2nd, 2010, 01:17 AM
Just a quick question. I recently upgraded to the latest version of Pokemon Essentials, it was all fine apart from when I came to making a regional dex possible. When I did this on the old version it was fairly simple, I simply removed the line in Compiler that said 'regional numbers cannot be zero' (or words to that effect). I did this again this morning but it is still tell me that I can't have 0 as a number. Is there something else I have to do?

Speedblitza
August 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Please help me!
I copied all the fonts to wnidows/fonts and the game is still in Arial!

KitsuneKouta
August 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
So, does anyone know how to make battle music actually start from the BEGINNING every time? I hate how it'll sometimes start midway through or near the end, depending on when you encounter.You may want to try erasing the audio.dll. It solves most music related problems. Alternatively, you could try modifying the script to remove the part that starts the music, then put it in the event instead (although I don't remember how to time it right in an event).

@Speedblitza: I had the same problem before. I just opened up the script editor and searched for every reference to "Arial" and replaced it with the name of the font I wanted. I'm not sure why it doesn't work right, but I'd appreciate if someone could explain it.

Speedblitza
August 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
You may want to try erasing the audio.dll. It solves most music related problems. Alternatively, you could try modifying the script to remove the part that starts the music, then put it in the event instead (although I don't remember how to time it right in an event).

@Speedblitza: I had the same problem before. I just opened up the script editor and searched for every reference to "Arial" and replaced it with the name of the font I wanted. I'm not sure why it doesn't work right, but I'd appreciate if someone could explain it.

Thank you so much!
But there must be an other solution. On my old computer I never had this problems.

Another Question: How can I change the colour of this?

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7967/capture005pngedit.png (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/capture005pngedit.png/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

carmaniac
August 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thank you so much!
But there must be an other solution. On my old computer I never had this problems.

Another Question: How can I change the colour of this?

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7967/capture005pngedit.png (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/capture005pngedit.png/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

This has been answered before a few pages back though I think it's lost.
BOXTEXTBASECOLOR=Color.new(248,248,248)
BOXTEXTSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(104,88,112)
There should be in pokebattle_actualscene that contains BOXTEXTBASECOLOR which is what you need to search for and just replace it with the code above which turns it to white.

Pokemistrz
August 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Plizz.... HELP ME!
------------------------
Pokemon Fiolet version

Speedblitza
August 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
So, does anyone know how to make battle music actually start from the BEGINNING every time? I hate how it'll sometimes start midway through or near the end, depending on when you encounter.

This is a bug from the newest version of pokemon essentials. Try looking for an older version.

How can I animate a trainer sprite?

IceGod64
August 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
You may want to try erasing the audio.dll
Wow, that actually worked! Thanks!

XD003
August 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Speaking of the sound, for some reason my RPG Maker wont play .mp3 files still. Is there any way I can fix this? It's really been annoying me because I don't want to convert all my sound files to .wav just to use them in the game.

cesa
August 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Need some help D:

I have made some decent progress of my game and decided to give it to some players in my game forums to test and search for bugs, but, I don't know what files to include in their game folder and which not.

I have this files and folders:
Audio
Data
Fonts
Graphics
PBS
animaker.exe
animaker.txt
battlebg.zip
Editor.exe
Editor.ini
extendtext.exe
extendtext.txt
Game.exe
game.ini
Game.rxproj
gif.dll
intl.txt
knownpoint.bmp
RGSS102E.dll
rubyscreen.dll
selpoint.bmp
wiimote.dll

Please, help. (I know some files are obvious to include, like game.exe, but really need help on this)

KitsuneKouta
August 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Need some help D:

I have made some decent progress of my game and decided to give it to some players in my game forums to test and search for bugs, but, I don't know what files to include in their game folder and which not.

I have this files and folders:
Audio
Data
Fonts
Graphics
PBS
animaker.exe
animaker.txt
battlebg.zip
Editor.exe
Editor.ini
extendtext.exe
extendtext.txt
Game.exe
game.ini
Game.rxproj
gif.dll
intl.txt
knownpoint.bmp
RGSS102E.dll
rubyscreen.dll
selpoint.bmp
wiimote.dll

Please, help. (I know some files are obvious to include, like game.exe, but really need help on this)That's not an essentials related question, but here's the answer: in RMXP, go to File>Compress Game Data and check the "create encrypted archive" option. This will make it to where they can't take any resources, modify scripts, etc., and you can still send them the game.

@SpeedBlitza: Luka SJ made a tutorial for doing that. It should be called "Merry Christmas" or something, since it was released as a present to the community. From what I've heard, you should follow the directions on the wiki since the ones in the thread aren't completely accurate.

cesa
August 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot, I will try.

Speedblitza
August 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
How can I make it possible to have more than 7 autotiles for one tileset?

Conan Edogawa
August 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM
I got this message when adding a new pokemon and trying to playtest it:

Message: Required entry Compatibility is missing or empty in section 494 (PBS/pokemon.txt)

Compiler:2169:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2160:in `each'

Compiler:2160:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2159:in `each'

Compiler:2159:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2145:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:1587:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1587:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2145:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2143:in `open'

OK

I know I need to do something with the Compiler script and those lines specifically, but I figured it would be better to ask what I should do rather than experimenting in case I screw the game up.

carmaniac
August 3rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
I got this message when adding a new pokemon and trying to playtest it:

Message: Required entry Compatibility is missing or empty in section 494 (PBS/pokemon.txt)

OK

I know I need to do something with the Compiler script and those lines specifically, but I figured it would be better to ask what I should do rather than experimenting in case I screw the game up.
Did you compile the game in the editor before trying to play the game? As that's the only reason I can think of with that error.

nmorr
August 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
hey everyone, I have two questions.

1. How to check how many pokemon the player has seen\caught.

2. How to add a pokemon to the pokedex without seeing it in battle or having it.

srry for the double post, but can SOMEONE please look at my question and answer it?? Please???

Srry if the answr is obvious, I'm at noob at RGSS....sorta....:nervous:

Conan Edogawa
August 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
I tried compiling the game after adding the new pokemon, and got this error:
Pokemon Essentials

OK

I checked and copied the format Arceus was in (while editing it to fit my pokemon) and after rechecking it I still couldn't figure out why I got this error.

cesa
August 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hey, have an error when trying yo buy in the PokeMart. I get this error:

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zeyu5i.jpg

Please, need help.

Thanks,
Cesa

Maruno
August 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
How can I make it possible to have more than 7 autotiles for one tileset?
You don't.

If you're that short on space, what you could do is spend a lot of time in Paint cutting up the autotiles into pieces and sticking them together in all the possible combinations, so you can use them as individual tiles rather than needing an autotile (see attached). Save the 7 allowed autotiles for animated ones.

Note that the possible combinations may be different depending on the autotile.

srry for the double post, but can SOMEONE please look at my question and answer it?? Please???

Srry if the answr is obvious, I'm at noob at RGSS....sorta....:nervous:
It's already been answered, as you would see if you did a bit of reading.

nmorr
August 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
You don't.

It's already been answered, as you would see if you did a bit of reading.

Oh, thank you for pointing that out Maruno. I apologize for wasting your time.

@nmorr: in a script, a line like this should display the number of pokemon owned:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}",$Trainer.pokedexOwned))
while this will show how many you've seen:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}",$Trainer.pokedexSeen))
You can probably mix the two if you want it to show in the same message, like this:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}/{2}",$Trainer.pokedexOwned,$Trainer.pokedexSeen))
Checking them just requires checking those methods ($Trainer.pokedexOwned, and $Trainer.pokedexSeen)

To silently add a pokemon as being seen, use this in a script (not in an event):
@seen[200]=true
Just change the 200 to the ID number of the pokemon.

Thank you very much. I'm really happy now.:D

Speedblitza
August 3rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
How can I make it, when I talk to an object that the object dont turn at me?

My english^^

cesa
August 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Select and edit the "object" and in the left down corner select "Stop Animation"

This will prevent it to face at you.

EDIT:

Could someone help me? :| I talk with the MartKeeper and select "Buy" and this happens:

Maruno
August 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Could someone help me? :| I talk with the MartKeeper and select "Buy" and this happens:

There's a comma after "POTION". That comma implies there should be another item in the list after Potion, but it can't find one so it throws a wobbly. Delete that comma.

cesa
August 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Now I get this.

http://i37.tinypic.com/9ftocl.jpg

KitsuneKouta
August 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
How can I make it, when I talk to an object that the object dont turn at me?

My english^^That's actually explained in one of the default events in the starter kit. Stop Animation makes the character animate in place, you want direction fix, which does as the name implies. Also, that's a general RMXP question, please be careful where you put those.

tasmania12
August 4th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I have another problem. I made side stair events for a 3 story building in my game, and they work perfectly, but when i test them, the stairs leading to the 3rd story give me this error:

Pokemon Essentials

OK

And also, for multiple region games what do you use to change the region map?

Maruno
August 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I have another problem. I made side stair events for a 3 story building in my game, and they work perfectly, but when i test them, the stairs leading to the 3rd story give me this error:

Pokemon Essentials

OK

And also, for multiple region games what do you use to change the region map?
That error has been posted in here a number of times already. Learn to read.

The solution, by the way, is to use an older version of Essentials.

As for region maps, the region shown when using the Town Map item (or PokéGear card or Pokédex page) is whichever one you're currently standing in. Stand in Pallet Town, the map will show Kanto. Stand in Route 42, the map will show Johto. There are plenty of problems associated with this (such as all the Pokémon nest locations showing even if half of them are for a different region), but it's a start.

tasmania12
August 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for answering. I didnt know it would change
it automatically

Zephyra
August 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
How would I go about having alternate movesets for different forms? Would I have to create a new entry in PBS/pokemon.txt for each form, or is there some way to add it in the PokemonMultipleForms script? I wanted to do this because apparently the script has Wormadam implemented, however in the games, each of Wormadam's forms learns different moves at certain levels. If I do have to create a new entry in PBS/pokemon.txt, would it be safe having two entries with the same dex number?

Farazi
August 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hello,
does anyone know how to add new color schemes for Pokemon? Like, instead of shiny Pokemon, I could add another color scheme called ghostly, which makes Pokemon look a little transparent.

Maruno
August 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM
How would I go about having alternate movesets for different forms? Would I have to create a new entry in PBS/pokemon.txt for each form, or is there some way to add it in the PokemonMultipleForms script? I wanted to do this because apparently the script has Wormadam implemented, however in the games, each of Wormadam's forms learns different moves at certain levels. If I do have to create a new entry in PBS/pokemon.txt, would it be safe having two entries with the same dex number?
As far as I'm aware, form-specific movesets haven't been implemented yet. The nearest we've got is Rotom, but that's only automatically learning a move when the form changes, not an actual separate moveset.

The alternate movesets would need to be defined in the scripts, though, not in a PBS file (well, technically you could make a new PBS file for it, but it'd be even more work). Then you'd need to find and edit the scripts that concern levelling up (see both PokeBattle_Battle def pbGainEXP and PokemonDefaultItems def pbChangeLevel) to check the species and form and find the appropriate moveset.

It's complicated, quite frankly. If you can't figure out what to do from what I've mentioned, simply don't try. In fact, I'm not quite sure even I know how to do it.

Hello,
does anyone know how to add new color schemes for Pokemon? Like, instead of shiny Pokemon, I could add another color scheme called ghostly, which makes Pokemon look a little transparent.
Since you'd be wanting something that works more like shininess than alternate forms, I'd suggest you copy the way shiny Pokémon are handled but call it "ghostly" instead. There are several parts to it (the sections PokeBattle_Pokemon and PokemonUtilities have at least the important parts), though, so it'd be quite tricky to pull off - not least of all because shininess depends on the Pokémon's ID number, so you'd need to come up with a new equation for ghostliness (that doesn't clash with shininess - although just changing the limits of "<8" to "9-15" would work just as well, actually).

Again, this would involve significant script editing. Don't try it if you don't know what you're on about.

incognito322
August 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Is there a script that allows you to raise the player to a certain elevation?
Like +16 (pixels) or something? Just wondering...

1ninjadude1701
August 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
i get this error when i walk into tall grass. How do i fix this error?

Pokemon Trainers Destiny

brokenxnote
August 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I read everything after my earlier post and it was never answered, so I figure I should post it again, especially since I've figured out the conditions of the error more accurately:

I get this error every time I walk into grass:

PokemonLunarVoid

OK

I can't seem to figure out what about the grass is causing the error.

cesa
August 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I get an error -.-

Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer' line 91: NameError Occurred.

uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies

Please help.

mackoo
August 7th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Is there a way to make HMs working without having badges, just pokemons that learnt them?

Teej
August 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I apologize if this has been solved, but I have yet to find an answer. The day/night shading is very messed up for me. It's currently 1:00 PM, and the game seems to think it's nighttime.

I'm aware the script pulls latitude/longitude data as well as time of day, but that all seems like way too much, and it's pretty buggy in my case. Is there a way to change the PBDayNight script to just use system time? I'm not much of a coder at all, I just know where the coding it, and I can read it; I'm just not comfortable editing it. Thanks!

The Cynic
August 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I apologise if this has already been asked and answered, or if it is a pointless question, as I am new to Pokemon Essentials.

Is there any way of making tiles 16x16 instead of 32x32? If so, how would I go about this?

Thanks.

Team_SJK
August 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Heaps of "Thank you's" coming your way, man. :)
This was exactly what I needed to start with RPG Maker XP.

tasmania12
August 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I cant find an answer to my problem. I have tried (and succeeded) making new evolution methods, and a pokemon using many methods to evolve into certain legendaries. In the pokemons data I wrote:

Evolutions=DEOXYS,Level,35,SUICUNE,Item,WATERSTONE,ENTEI,Item,FIRESTONE,RAIKOU,Item,THUNDERSTONE,MEW,Item,MOONSTONE,REGIROCK,Custom4,,REGICE,Custom3,,KYOGRE,Custom2,,GROUDON,Custom5,,JIRACHI,Happiness,,DARKRAI,Custom1,

For some reason, i get this error when I test it

Pokemon Essentials

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 5, key Evolutions

Compiler:210:in `csvPosInt!'

Compiler:2328:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2308:in `each'

Compiler:2308:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2305:in `each'

Compiler:2305:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'

OK

thepsynergist
August 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I cant find an answer to my problem. I have tried (and succeeded) making new evolution methods, and a pokemon using many methods to evolve into certain legendaries. In the pokemons data I wrote:

Evolutions=DEOXYS,Level,35,SUICUNE,Item,WATERSTONE,ENTEI,Item,FIRESTONE,RAIKOU,Item,THUNDERSTONE,MEW,Item,MOONSTONE,REGIROCK,Custom4,,REGICE,Custom3,,KYOGRE,Custom2,,GROUDON,Custom5,,JIRACHI,Happiness,,DARKRAI,Custom1,

For some reason, i get this error when I test it

Pokemon Essentials

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 5, key Evolutions

Compiler:210:in `csvPosInt!'

Compiler:2328:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2308:in `each'

Compiler:2308:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2305:in `each'

Compiler:2305:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'

OK

For each instance of a custom evolution, you need to put a comma and a 0, or any other variable that specifies what type of evolution.

Example.

Evolutions=DARKRAI,Custom1,0

tasmania12
August 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
For each instance of a custom evolution, you need to put a comma and a 0, or any other variable that specifies what type of evolution.

Example.

Evolutions=DARKRAI,Custom1,0

OMG thats all i needed to do! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY!

thepsynergist
August 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM
OMG thats all i needed to do! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY! TY!

Heh, no problem. I asked the same question when I made custom evolutions.

brokenxnote
August 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I read everything after my earlier post and it was never answered, so I figure I should post it again, especially since I've figured out the conditions of the error more accurately:

I get this error every time I walk into grass:

PokemonLunarVoid

OK

I can't seem to figure out what about the grass is causing the error.

Heh, no problem. I asked the same question when I made custom evolutions.

So nobody's had this problem, or has any idea how to fix it? D: lol That'd be terribly unfortunate for me if that's the case haha.

Seven Dragons
August 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Ok this may or may not be directly related to Pokemon Essentials, but I am using it and Poccil has changed the way triggers work in general. Even though many functions appear to be exactly the same, he has often rewritten the trigger himself so that it functions better with Pokemon Essentials.

So here is my problem (it is starting to drive me batty):

I have a Variable number I am using to interact with a few parallel processes that I want to do something very specific. The event has 6 pages. First page has no variable needed to run the parallel process (or I should be able to put the variable number to = 0 and it would work the same). Second page needs my variable number to = 1, and then third page =2, and so on. All pages are parallel processes.

I have a trigger to activate what number I want my variable to be at, and based on that number the parallel process should pick the appropriate page. That is in short what I want to do (each page has a different graphic).

I have used this EXACT same process on another map, only the page is actually running scripts on them and they change pages according to the exact variable number that I set them to with a different trigger and those events work perfectly.

I cannot for the life of me get this event to work, I have hands down tried just about everything. They refuse to change pages even though the page has the required variable number.

I could go through a giant convoluted process to get the graphic change to work by making a seperate event for each graphic with a series of script to delete the event and move another event on top of it with the separate graphic, but this shouldn't be necessary. I am using the proper method for doing this and it is simply NOT working.

Can anybody help me with this? It seems like this shouldn't be a problem.

KitsuneKouta
August 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Can anybody help me with this? It seems like this shouldn't be a problem.You may want to use switches instead. Notice how to the right of the field where you specify the value of the variable it says: "or above." This means that if you make it require the number 1, any number equal or greater than 1 will trigger it. So, for instance, you choose the number 2: the page that requires number 1 AND the one that requires 2 will be triggered. So, it triggers the wrong thing. If the first page requires 0, anything equal to greater than 0 will trigger it (in other words, it's always triggered by default, until the value is made negative). It's a poorly thought out system. If you don't want to use switches, you could use a set of conditional branches, like this:

first, set the page condition to the variable you want to use, and set the value to 1. Then, make the branches like this:
Conditional Branch: Variable[1234:xyz]==1
do something here
else
Conditional Branch: Variable[1234:xyz]==2
do something else
else
Conditional Branch: Variable[1234:xyz]==3
do another thing
else
do nothing
end
end
end
You get the idea. You can have as many of those as you need. I've done similar things and it worked out pretty well, so give it a try, and PM me if it doesn't work out right.

@brokenxnote: when did the error start? Was it as soon as you started using the kit, or after modifications? If it has been happening all along, you should get a new kit. If it happened after a modification, then we'll need to know what was changed.

tasmania12
August 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Is there a way to have a wild pokemons form randomly change by a variable?

I have a Pokemon that has several forms but I need them all to appear randomly. Is there a way to do this?

Conan Edogawa
August 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Is there a way to have a wild pokemons form randomly change by a variable?

I have a Pokemon that has several forms but I need them all to appear randomly. Is there a way to do this?

If I'm not mistaken, you have to edit one of the text files to add the pokemon into a map anyways, so you could add the different forms as seperate pokemon.

tasmania12
August 12th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I could do that but I want the forms to be one Pokemon and when I walk around in the grass you encounter this Pokemon and whatever number the variable randomly chooses, that specific form comes up.

Lets say i chose variable 100. When the battle starts, variable 100 would randomly equal lets say a 3, so then the 3rd form of that pokemon goes into battle.

I would like it to be like that.

Conan Edogawa
August 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I have a question about adding types. I edited the types document and saved it, but it won't let me compile it. Can someone explain to me where else I need to edit to be able to compile it?

tasmania12
August 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have a question about adding types. I edited the types document and saved it, but it won't let me compile it. Can someone explain to me where else I need to edit to be able to compile it?

Did you set it up like this? If you did, then I don't know.
[#]
Name=
InternalName=
IsSpecialType=
Weaknesses=
Resistances=
Immunities=

P.S. Anything about my question yet?

Conan Edogawa
August 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I fixed one error I had, but I get this error when I try to compile it:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):11: syntax error
???=9

^

Compiler:2079:in `pbCompileTypes'

Compiler:3862:in `eval'

Compiler:3862:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4005

OK

tasmania12
August 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I fixed one error I had, but I get this error when I try to compile it:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):11: syntax error
???=9

^

Compiler:3862:in `eval'

Compiler:3862:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4005

OK

Did you change type #9? (???)

Conan Edogawa
August 12th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it fits into my story so I edited it to this:

[9]
Name=???
InternalName=???
IsPseudoType=true
Weaknesses=PSYCHIC,GROUND
Resistances=POISON,ICE,BUG,STEEL,DARK,FLYING,GRASS,WATER,FIRE
Immunities=???

EDIT: Nevermind, I was stupid and renamed it ??? instead of QMARKS. I got it to work now.

Seven Dragons
August 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
You may want to use switches instead. Notice how to the right of the field where you specify the value of the variable it says: "or above." This means that if you make it require the number 1, any number equal or greater than 1 will trigger it. So, for instance, you choose the number 2: the page that requires number 1 AND the one that requires 2 will be triggered. So, it triggers the wrong thing. If the first page requires 0, anything equal to greater than 0 will trigger it (in other words, it's always triggered by default, until the value is made negative). It's a poorly thought out system. If you don't want to use switches, you could use a set of conditional branches, like this:

first, set the page condition to the variable you want to use, and set the value to 1. Then, make the branches like this:
Conditional Branch: Variable[1234:xyz]==1
do something here
else
Conditional Branch: Variable[1234:xyz]==2
do something else
else
Conditional Branch: Variable[1234:xyz]==3
do another thing
else
do nothing
end
end
end
You get the idea. You can have as many of those as you need. I've done similar things and it worked out pretty well, so give it a try, and PM me if it doesn't work out right.

Oh my goodness this somehow worked. I tried something similar to this before and couldn't get the event to recognize any Conditional Branches inside Conditional Branches for whatever reason, so after one attempt I stopped trying this route. Your reply prompted me to test this again and give it a shot! It totally worked. Here is what I did:

Conditional Branch Variable[X:Y] > = 1
Conditional Branch Variable[X:Y] == 1
Do this.
Else
Conditional Branch Variable[X:Y] == 2
Do this.
Else
Conditional Branch Variable[X:Y] == 3
Do this.
Else
Conditional Branch Variable[X:Y] == 4
Do this.
Else
End
End
End
End

I was so floored when it worked I honestly thought that I was going to have to figure out how to write this in ruby and execute it that way.

Big Thanks!!!

Cykes
August 12th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Is there any possible way to optimize Essentials or something to reduce lag? :\

tasmania12
August 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Is there anywhere else i can post my unanswered questestion?:(

kujika
August 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I heard there was an easy way to make Pokemon Essentials check for files on a webserver.

I have the webserver, it even supports MSQL, but I need to know what commands to use (or at least how to find them).

I need those steps:
1) check for files on a webserver
2) if there is a file, read it
3) convert the contents of the file into a pokemon

I can do the rest on my own^^

Thank you!

Wichu
August 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I think there's a pbDownloadData method that downloads a file via HTTP. I can't remember the details, but there's one that writes the contents to a string, called something like pbDownloadToString.

Maruno
August 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I could do that but I want the forms to be one Pokemon and when I walk around in the grass you encounter this Pokemon and whatever number the variable randomly chooses, that specific form comes up.

Lets say i chose variable 100. When the battle starts, variable 100 would randomly equal lets say a 3, so then the 3rd form of that pokemon goes into battle.

I would like it to be like that.
What I always do when I come across a problem is think about whether something similar has already been done.

I know, for instance, that Shellos and Gastrodon have two forms each, which vary depending on which map you're on. I also know that the scripts decide the form with a very simple calculation in PokemonMultipleForms. I further know that I can mess with simple calculations, for example, adding in a "rnd(3)" here and there.

There are many things I could do here, but for now I'll stick with something simple:

MultipleForms.register(:FAKEMON,{
"getFormOnCreation"=>proc{|pokemon|
next rnd(2)
}
})This is the simplest you can get. When any Pokémon of the species Fakemon is generated (i.e. at the start of a wild or trainer battle), there is a 50% chance of it being either of its two forms. Remember that "rnd(2)" will pick a random integer between 0 and 1 inclusive (i.e. 0 or 1).

This could get more complicated. For example, I might want to have the forms be random on only some maps, while on other maps the form would always be the same. I might want one form to be twice as common as the other. I might want the form's rarity to depend on the species of the lead Pokémon in the player's party, or on whether the player is running/cycling, or on whether they're in a Bug Catching Contest at the time. I might want it to depend on the time of day. I might want it to depend on the number of badges/plot coupons the player has. All these things are possible.

And then I might want to make the forms different by more than appearance alone. Deoxys has different stats in its forms, Shaymin has different types and abilities, and that's just for starters. Maybe I want Fakemon Special Forme to be shiny 50% of the time. Maybe I want it to have a different moveset, or to always have a Hardy nature, or to always be female. Maybe the Special Forme can be found holding a different item to the Normal Forme. All these too can be done.

As an aside, making a single Nidoran species would involve nothing more than two forms, one per gender (50% chance of each), with each gender having a different moveset. Evolution depending on gender already exists in Essentials. Something you might want to think about...

tasmania12
August 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
What I always do when I come across a problem is think about whether something similar has already been done.

I know, for instance, that Shellos and Gastrodon have two forms each, which vary depending on which map you're on. I also know that the scripts decide the form with a very simple calculation in PokemonMultipleForms. I further know that I can mess with simple calculations, for example, adding in a "rnd(3)" here and there.

There are many things I could do here, but for now I'll stick with something simple:

Code:
MultipleForms.register(:FAKEMON,{
"getFormOnCreation"=>proc{|pokemon|
next rnd(2)
}
})
This is the simplest you can get. When any Pokémon of the species Fakemon is generated (i.e. at the start of a wild or trainer battle), there is a 50% chance of it being either of its two forms. Remember that "rnd(2)" will pick a random integer between 0 and 1 inclusive (i.e. 0 or 1).

This could get more complicated. For example, I might want to have the forms be random on only some maps, while on other maps the form would always be the same. I might want one form to be twice as common as the other. I might want the form's rarity to depend on the species of the lead Pokémon in the player's party, or on whether the player is running/cycling, or on whether they're in a Bug Catching Contest at the time. I might want it to depend on the time of day. I might want it to depend on the number of badges/plot coupons the player has. All these things are possible.

And then I might want to make the forms different by more than appearance alone. Deoxys has different stats in its forms, Shaymin has different types and abilities, and that's just for starters. Maybe I want Fakemon Special Forme to be shiny 50% of the time. Maybe I want it to have a different moveset, or to always have a Hardy nature, or to always be female. Maybe the Special Forme can be found holding a different item to the Normal Forme. All these too can be done.

As an aside, making a single Nidoran species would involve nothing more than two forms, one per gender (50% chance of each), with each gender having a different moveset. Evolution depending on gender already exists in Essentials. Something you might want to think about...

I tried this and it comes up with an error, then I realized that I am a complete IDIOT!!!

I did something even simpler and copied UNOWN's multiple forms script, because that is exactly how I wanted it.

Thanks Anyways

and sorry if this has been answered, but does anyon know a script to show the different forms in the Pokedex?

maldicion069
August 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hello everyone.
I´m editing POKEMONSAVE´s script, and I would like to know how to edit this part of the script:
def pbStartScreen
@viewport=Viewport.new(0,0,Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
@viewport.z=99999
@sprites={}
totalsec = Graphics.frame_count / Graphics.frame_rate
hour = totalsec / 60 / 60
min = totalsec / 60 % 60
mapname=$game_map.name
loctext=_INTL("<c2=06644bd2>{1}</c2><br>",mapname)
loctext+=_INTL("PLAYER<r><c2=65467b14>{1}</c2><br>",$Trainer.name)
loctext+=_INTL("BADGES<r><c2=65467b14>{1}</c2><br>",$Trainer.numbadges)
if $Trainer.pokedex
loctext+=_INTL("POKéDEX<r><c2=65467b14>{1}</c2><br>",$Trainer.pokedexOwned)
end
loctext+=_ISPRINTF("TIME<r><c2=65467b14>{1:02d}:{2:02d}</c2>",hour,min)
@sprites["locwindow"]=Window_AdvancedTextPokemon.new(loctext)
@sprites["locwindow"].viewport=@viewport
@sprites["locwindow"].x=86
@sprites["locwindow"].y=350
@sprites["locwindow"].visible=true
@sprites["save"]=IconSprite.new(0,0,@viewport)
@sprites["save"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/guardando")
end

I wish I could put it on Pokédex PLAYER TIME ..., such as text, and place in a desired location without being in a loctext, because it fits well with the image I use to put the text to save.
Thanks

zingzags
August 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM
nevermind i found the request section >.>

post extender 2.0

Speedblitza
August 15th, 2010, 06:07 AM
How can I update my Project to the may 7 version?
What must I copy?

Cilerba
August 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM
How can I update my Project to the may 7 version?
What must I copy?

Read the file "notes.html" in your game's folder.
It tells you all about upgrading your copy of Essentials.

zingzags
August 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Okay I am trying to create a button that jumps to a section of the bag. like key items jump to Berrys, and Berry can jump to battle items, instead of have to keep pressing left and right. Here is my script of the function, and I am having errors with it.

@sprites["itemicon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/itemicon")
itemwindow.pocket=(itemwindow.pocket==1)
@bag.lastpocket=itemwindow.pocket
pbRefresh

I am getting this error when i go outside with the recent May 7th update.

Pokemon Essentials

PokemonUtilities:2097:in `pbDayNightTint'

OK

Maruno
August 16th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Okay I am trying to create a button that jumps to a section of the bag. like key items jump to Berrys, and Berry can jump to battle items, instead of have to keep pressing left and right. Here is my script of the function, and I am having errors with it.

@sprites["itemicon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/itemicon")
itemwindow.pocket=(itemwindow.pocket==1)
@bag.lastpocket=itemwindow.pocket
pbRefresh

I am getting this error when i go outside with the recent May 7th update.

Pokemon Essentials
PokemonUtilities:2097:in `pbDayNightTint'

OK
The good news is that your modifications have nothing to do with that error. The bad news is that error comes with the latest version (which incidentally is NOT the May 7th version - the legend just hasn't been updated to say when it was actually made).

The error is because of poccil's incessant messing around with the daylight tinting scripts. I suggest you "upgrade" to the proper May 7th version - I've uploaded a copy of it and put the link in here somewhere. Just search this thread for "getRoughLatLon" and you should find the post.

When posting error messages in future, please remove all the unnecessary empty lines from your error message, so that it doesn't take up as much space (as I've done just above in the quote box). It looks nicer like that.

tasmania12
August 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM
sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone know a script to show the different forms in the Pokedex?

zingzags
August 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
The good news is that your modifications have nothing to do with that error. The bad news is that error comes with the latest version (which incidentally is NOT the May 7th version - the legend just hasn't been updated to say when it was actually made).

The error is because of poccil's incessant messing around with the daylight tinting scripts. I suggest you "upgrade" to the proper May 7th version - I've uploaded a copy of it and put the link in here somewhere. Just search this thread for "getRoughLatLon" and you should find the post.

When posting error messages in future, please remove all the unnecessary empty lines from your error message, so that it doesn't take up as much space (as I've done just above in the quote box). It looks nicer like that.

Okay thanks :D maruno you really help alot

udivision
August 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I have an odd problem with lag. The first time I run the game, it runs at a smooth fps. Every subsequent time is oddily choppy. I'm not using any of the old scripts, just importing old resources to the new version. Any one have a clue why it's happening?

EDIT: Nvm, it's just the outdoor lights.

I have another question, how are some of these projects using natural resolution D/P/HGSS sprites for the Pokemon in battle?

Canderis
August 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
How do you get the exclamation mark to appear above an npc's head and then they move toward you? (this is NOT for a trainer battle)

udivision
August 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM
How do you get the exclamation mark to appear above an npc's head and then they move toward you? (this is NOT for a trainer battle)

Use the "Show Animation" command from the list of event commands.

ashthebest10
August 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
When a wild pokemon appears it moves from the left side of the screen to the right and it is shaded. How do I increase the speed that it moves across the screen and if at all possible, get rid of the shading? Thanks in advance for any help.

Canderis
August 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Which is the animation for the exclamation mark? Is it EM Exclamation?

Orangturttle
August 17th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Which is the animation for the exclamation mark? Is it EM Exclamation?
Yes!
And if you want to make for the Question, or any other emotion, you can just copy down the positions of the EM Exclamation animation and put the Question mark, [or other emotions] in those positions.

Ehibika
August 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hello. I have been working on the animation editor but i am running into several roadblocks.

for starters, the Define curve and path function always throws the cel in question off screen for no apparent reason, regardless of what I do. and the tweeting function also seems to do nothing despite what I do

the tweeting function works fine, but it would be nice if it automatically filled in empty spaces between starting and ending frames by pasting the same cell there, what I mean is instead of having to paste the same cell (cell 2) between frames 1-10 then tweening them, the system will notice the absence between frames 2-9 of cell 2 and promptly paste copies of cell 2 from the last frame before the empty spots and then continue to interpolate them.

this would be a great time saver as for now, I have to paste the same cell in cell 1-10 in order to interpolate them.

another thing is that the Cell Batch seems to have a few bugs, the X & Y parameters seem to move all cells on a given point in the area as if it were a graph as oppose to moving all cells along the x/y axis by a certain amount of units. it is also impossible to set the first or last frames or cell. it also alters cells which are supposed to be locked.

and if I ever use the cut/copy commands by right clicking I get hit with these message:

Cut:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: ArgumentError

PokemonAnimEditor:642:in `initialize'

PokemonAnimEditor:642:in `new'

PokemonAnimEditor:642:in `setData'

PokemonAnimEditor:2805:in `animationEditorMain'

PokemonAnimEditor:2729:in `loop'

PokemonAnimEditor:2878:in `animationEditorMain'

PokemonAnimEditor:2896:in `pbAnimationEditor'

EditorMain:110:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:110:in `pbFadeOutIn'

OK

Copy:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: ArgumentError

PokemonAnimEditor:642:in `initialize'

PokemonAnimEditor:642:in `new'

PokemonAnimEditor:642:in `setData'

PokemonAnimEditor:2810:in `animationEditorMain'

PokemonAnimEditor:2729:in `loop'

PokemonAnimEditor:2878:in `animationEditorMain'

PokemonAnimEditor:2896:in `pbAnimationEditor'

EditorMain:110:in `pbFadeOutIn'

OK

and a few suggestions:

It would be nice to be able to use the mouse on menus such as the animation list or the bitmap list,

a hot key for togling between frames would also be nice, perhaps making A and S toggle between them while holding alt makes it move in integers of 5 or so. infact it would be nice to be able to imput a value manualy over shifting one at a time with each parameter.

and lastly, It would be beneficial to have an onion skinning effect much like in all the RPG maker animation programs, allowing one to see a faint box showing the location of the cell in a previous frame, this would be greatly helpfull as I often times cannot remember the exact location of a previous cell. and if this is implemented, an option to determin how many frames the mark of the cell on a past frame will persist on would also be ideal.

I mean if you left a cell (2) on frame 4, if no other cell (2) exists past frame 4, you can set how many frames the mark of the cell (2) in frame 4 will be present past frame 4.

maldicion069
August 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I have two questions.
How do I change the skin to the triggering of a switch?
And in RGSS, how I can put that in the scritp POKEMONSAVE, change of skin?

Maruno
August 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
pbNoticePlayer (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Structure_of_trainer_events) can be used by non-trainers too.

tasmania12
August 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
3 things:

1.does anyone know a script to show the different forms in the Pokedex?
2.how do you stop the ability to edit the town map in game?
3.How do I create the effects used when i make a new pokemon's ability?

Canderis
August 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
pbNoticePlayer (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Structure_of_trainer_events) can be used by non-trainers too.

Would never work for me. The animation thing though works perfectly.

whoopa
August 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Um I was wondering if its possible for pbSpeciescompatible to check through your team, and return the first Pokemon that is compatible with that tm.

Canderis
August 18th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Where are the graphics of the player as he throws out the pokeball located?

maldicion069
August 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Where are the graphics of the player as he throws out the pokeball located?
You find this in Graphics/Pîctures/trback001.png
You will edit this picture for do your back trainer animation.

KitsuneKouta
August 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
3 things:

1.does anyone know a script to show the different forms in the Pokedex?
2.how do you stop the ability to edit the town map in game?
3.How do I create the effects used when i make a new pokemon's ability?1. I don't think so, but the means of making one was discusses some time ago. I don't know that it gave everything needed to make one, but try looking several pages back (within the last 20).
2. That will stop automatically. Since you are play testing, there are many debug features that you are automatically given to use. If you play from the game.exe file, you will not be able to use the debug features, which is what players will be left with.
3. That's also several pages back somewhere. Basic idea: copy another ability (note that there are multiple instances in the scripts for some of the abilities) that is similar to the one you are implementing (not the same, just somewhat similar), and modify the crap out of it until it performs the effects you are wanting. You must be able to do some scripting though.

udivision
August 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I was wrong, lag is still there. Anyone else experience perfect frame rate and then a choppy one when you play the game again?

Maruno
August 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
3.How do I create the effects used when i make a new pokemon's ability?
Nearly every ability does something different, and at different times. It's almost impossible to make a guide to show people "how to make an ability" - the nearest we can get is to describe a few of the more generic ones, and tell people to look for similar existing abilities to copy off.

Would never work for me. The animation thing though works perfectly.
Interesting. Were you using Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0)), or just pbNoticePlayer?

Um I was wondering if its possible for pbSpeciescompatible to check through your team, and return the first Pokemon that is compatible with that tm.
Make a "for" loop that looks at each party Pokémon in turn, and call pbSpeciesCompatible? each time. If it returns true, remember the party index that caused it, break the "for" loop, and you've got your first compatible Pokémon.

thepsynergist
August 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
What script do I have to put in to support that pokeball icon in battle saying that you've caught the pokemon already? I don't want to upgrade my version of Pokemon Essentials, because I finally got rid of almost all of the bugs that i've been encountering in the script.

So, does anyone have it? Pokemon Raptor has it. I'm hoping someone could throw me a bone here. That'd be great.

Cilerba
August 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
What scripts would I have to look in to change the player's movement speed and the message text speed?

koby1
August 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
What scripts would I have to look in to change the player's movement speed and the message text speed?
Depending on your version of essentials... the player's movement speed is in the script editor. the text speed i think its in something with pokemon or pokebattle at the begging.

Canderis
August 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
You find this in Graphics/Pîctures/trback001.png
You will edit this picture for do your back trainer animation.

Is this the same for both Male and female players?

Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0)), or just pbNoticePlayer?

Didn't use the get_character part. Im not a very good scripter. And this language is completely different than what i normally script in.

On another note, I have a battle with a rival, and after the battle, anything i set to happen, doesn't work, other than text. I am trying to set a move route for another event that is suppose to happen after the battle, but nothing happens, the event just stays in place. Any idea of how to fix this?

pokemad
August 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I am trying to create an event that checks Variable 42 for a pokemon name and then shows that pokemons sprite from "graphics/characters"
I use "pbchoosepokemon" to store the pokemons name but cannot find a way to change a sprite according to variable
any help appreciated

ashthebest10
August 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Okay I'll ask again.
When a wild pokemon appears it moves from the left side of the screen to the right and it is shaded. How do I increase the speed that it moves across the screen and if at all possible, get rid of the shading? This is a simple thing I'm sure. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cilerba
August 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Depending on your version of essentials... the player's movement speed is in the script editor. the text speed i think its in something with pokemon or pokebattle at the begging.

...did you read what I said?
"What scripts would I have to look in..."

KingCharizard
August 19th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Find the walk run script and edit this
if !pbMapInterpreterRunning? &&
!moving? && !@move_route_forcing && $PokemonGlobal
if $PokemonGlobal.bicycle
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 8 : 5.2
elsif pbCanRun?
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 6.5 : 4.8
else
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 4.5 : 3.8
end

Edit the values in bold

The message text speed can be done in the games option menu during game selection.

koby1
August 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Sorry, i found the one for walking and running speed Pokemon Essentials Latest release. For me its Walk_Run thats the name of the script i will attach a screen shot

tasmania12
August 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Can I be able to have 2 different storage systems and have one un-usable until I activate a certain switch then I deactivate another switch at the same time to make the first one un-usable until I activate that switch again?

(Sorry if your head hurts after trying to read this?)

thepsynergist
August 20th, 2010, 01:25 PM
What script do I have to put in to support that pokeball icon in battle saying that you've caught the pokemon already? I don't want to upgrade my version of Pokemon Essentials, because I finally got rid of almost all of the bugs that i've been encountering in the script.

So, does anyone have it? Pokemon Raptor has it. I'm hoping someone could throw me a bone here. That'd be great.

Bump, in case someone has the answer...

koby1
August 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Bump, in case someone has the answer...
I might beable to help you out... i'll pm u if i got it.

thepsynergist
August 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I might beable to help you out... i'll pm u if i got it.

Thanks, I hope to hear from you soon.

Vociferocity
August 20th, 2010, 11:22 PM
is there a way to edit the graphic of an event through a script? I am like, totally baffled as to how you'd do this :(

thepsynergist
August 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM
is there a way to edit the graphic of an event through a script? I am like, totally baffled as to how you'd do this :(

You could just use the Move Event option and select Change Graphic from one of the options.

Vociferocity
August 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
You could just use the Move Event option and select Change Graphic from one of the options.

ah, but that would be changing it through an event. I need a way to do it in a script, unfortunately.

although if that's how you'd do it through an event, I suppose the script-editing way would be fairly similar. hmmm. time to investigate~*~

Maruno
August 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Is this the same for both Male and female players?
The number in the file name is the trainer class number. Typically 000 and 001 are the male and female players respectively.

There's a brief description of this at the end of the "Global metadata" section of the wiki page about Players (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Player).

Can I be able to have 2 different storage systems and have one un-usable until I activate a certain switch then I deactivate another switch at the same time to make the first one un-usable until I activate that switch again?

(Sorry if your head hurts after trying to read this?)
You mean you want regional Pokémon storage?

It's a bit tricky, and involves knowing exactly what you're doing. Basically, when you start a new game and the storage variable $PokemonStorage is initialised (in PokemonLoad), copy that line and make a new storage variable for each region (e.g. $PokemonStorageKanto, $PokemonStorageJohto). Remember to also edit PokemonSave similarly, so that it saves these extra storage variables when you quit the game.

When you go from Kanto to Johto, first copy $PokemonStorage to the variable storage $PokemonStorageKanto, then copy $PokemonStorageJohto to $PokemonStorage. Also, before doing this, force the player to deposit all their Pokémon, and afterwards, force them to withdraw at least one Pokémon (unless there are none to withdraw, in which case you're new to the region and you should go see the Professor for a starter). All of this can be done in events.

That's just a brief overview of what's needed. If you're not sure what you're doing, don't do it. It can get a little tricky making sure all the region transfers (e.g. boats, trains) decide correctly which storage systems to shuffle around.

KitsuneKouta
August 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
is there a way to edit the graphic of an event through a script? I am like, totally baffled as to how you'd do this :(If you figure it out, please tell me. I looked into this quite a bit before, but found no way to do it. I was building a secret base system, which is mostly functional, but monstrous, that could have been done better with that ability. Using events makes it incredibly challenging to work with.

IceGod64
August 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
elsif pbCanRun?
else
end I've done this long ago.

What does the first byte even mean? It seems like there's no difference n matter what I change the left numbers too, it doesn't change anything. I even tried 637.0 and nothing.

Also, for those who are interested, the below code fixes the glitch that allows the running shoes in water:

def update
if moving?
else
end
elsif pbCanRun?
if $PokemonGlobal.surfing
else
end
elsif $PokemonGlobal.surfing
else
end
endIf anyone wonders why that extra code block for if the bikes moving is even there, it's because I was attempting to add acceleration(to no avail).

Edit: Forgot my question. How can I retrieve the value for a Pokemon's happiness within an event? I've been trying to get that working for a long time.

tomatoman
August 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know how to manually enter a name for the main character?

KitsuneKouta
August 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know how to manually enter a name for the main character?By manually, do you mean the player or you yourself? If you're wanting to predefine the name, use this:
pbTrainerName("ASH"), otherwise just use pbTrainerName.

Vociferocity
August 22nd, 2010, 05:28 AM
If you figure it out, please tell me. I looked into this quite a bit before, but found no way to do it. I was building a secret base system, which is mostly functional, but monstrous, that could have been done better with that ability. Using events makes it incredibly challenging to work with.

noooo, I was hoping you'd know how to do it. SIGH. time to ACTUALLY investigate, I suppose!

...jfc I can't even work out how to create a dependent event from a script. UGH WHERE DID ALL MY SKILLS GO, THIS SUCKS BALLS.

tomatoman
August 22nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
By manually, do you mean the player or you yourself? If you're wanting to predefine the name, use this:
pbTrainerName("ASH"), otherwise just use pbTrainerName.

Thanks! It was the first one, I wanted to enter a predefined name.

ashthebest10
August 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
WHEN A WILD POKEMON APPEARS (OR TRAINER) AND THEY MOVE FROM THE LEFT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN (THEY ARE SHADED) I WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE THE SPEED THEY MOVE. PLEASE HELP IVE ASKED OVER AND OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

carmaniac
August 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
WHEN A WILD POKEMON APPEARS (OR TRAINER) AND THEY MOVE FROM THE LEFT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN (THEY ARE SHADED) I WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE THE SPEED THEY MOVE. PLEASE HELP IVE ASKED OVER AND OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Yeah, asking over and over to get your answer isn't helpful. Just wait at least until a new page appears before posting the message again as it's gets irritating seeing it more than once each page. And no one will answer you if you post like that, which pretty much 8% of the game dev area know how to script so wait until someone finds the answer.

IceGod64
August 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM

Thank you.
I got an answer for you.

Script: PokeBattle_ActualScene

@sprites["enemybase"].x+=4
@sprites["playerbase"].x-=4
@sprites["shadow1"].x+=4
@sprites["shadow3"].x+=4 if @sprites["shadow3"]
trainersprite1.x+=4
trainersprite2.x+=4 if trainersprite2
@sprites["player"].x-=4
@sprites["playerB"].x-=4 if @sprites["playerB"]
pbGraphicsUpdate
pbInputUpdate
break if @sprites["enemybase"].x>=224You need to change every one of the '=4's to another number (I reccomend 6, do NOT use odd numbers)

Now reposting my question since it was an edit and probably got missed:
How can I retrieve the value for a Pokemon's happiness within an event? I've been trying to get that working for a long time.

Vociferocity
August 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
so I think I've made a minor breakthrough and discovered where in the scripts it handles changing an event's graphic. MAYBE. unfortunately, I can't make heads nor tails of it! uhhh I've highlighted the bits that look promising, if anyone wants to help me decipher this~

def pbMoveRoute(event,commands,waitComplete=false)
route=RPG::MoveRoute.new
route.repeat=false
route.skippable=true
route.list.clear
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::ThroughOn))
i=0;while i<commands.length
case commands[i]
when PBMoveRoute::Wait, PBMoveRoute::SwitchOn,
PBMoveRoute::SwitchOff, PBMoveRoute::ChangeSpeed,
PBMoveRoute::ChangeFreq, PBMoveRoute::Opacity,
PBMoveRoute::Blending, PBMoveRoute::PlaySE,
PBMoveRoute::Script
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(commands[i],
[commands[i+1]]))
i+=1
when PBMoveRoute::ScriptAsync
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::Script,
[commands[i+1]]))
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::Wait,[0]))
i+=1
when PBMoveRoute::Jump
[commands[i+1],commands[i+2]]))
i+=2
[S-HIGHLIGHT]when PBMoveRoute::Graphic
[commands[i+1],commands[i+2],commands[i+3],commands[i+4]]))
i+=4[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
else
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(commands[i]))
end
i+=1
end
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::ThroughOff))
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(0))
if event
event.force_move_route(route)
end
return route
end

sob this is so difficult, BUT I PROMISE IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END. if I can manage to work out the rest of this ~mystery~ script (and I'm SO CLOSE, this is like one of the final parts ughhhh), I'll be posting it in the tutorial section and I'm sure it will be super helpful for people :)

**** YES I DID IT!!!!! BRB FINISHING THIS SCRIPT

edit: sigh and then of course three hours later I run into an obvious problem. anyone know how to save/load a dependent event?

Jefelin
August 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Anyone know the quickest way to achieve this effect?
I would be very grateful if someone gives me some pointers

KingCharizard
August 23rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Anyone know the quickest way to achieve this effect?
I would be very grateful if someone gives me some pointers

Set up a switch to activate a graphic to turn on when night comes and to turn off during the day, I know this doesn't decribe it to clearly but if your an expirenced rmxp and Essentials user you'll understand maybe someone else will better explain it for you. But I know it works Ive done it.

Nickalooose
August 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
in the scripts(F11), anybody know how i'd go about checking if a Pokémon can evolve, or is the final evolution from the pokemon.txt?

creating a script in PokemonScreen, just in case you need to know.

@jefelin: i'm pretty sure, that comes under the outsidelight effect...

check the pokemon essentials notes, press CTRL+F, write "light" and click "find"
the notes have helped me out ALOT and pokemon wiki has alot to help you with too... in any case

create a new event (where the window should be) name this new event "Light" and this will turn itself on, during night, and off during day or "OutdoorLight" which i'm sure you should only use for lamposts and any other light source which the lighting dims during time of day... unless thats the effect you are going for...

hope this helps.

KitsuneKouta
August 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
so I think I've made a minor breakthrough and discovered where in the scripts it handles changing an event's graphic. MAYBE. unfortunately, I can't make heads nor tails of it! uhhh I've highlighted the bits that look promising, if anyone wants to help me decipher this~

def pbMoveRoute(event,commands,waitComplete=false)
route=RPG::MoveRoute.new
route.repeat=false
route.skippable=true
route.list.clear
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::ThroughOn))
i=0;while i<commands.length
case commands[i]
when PBMoveRoute::Wait, PBMoveRoute::SwitchOn,
PBMoveRoute::SwitchOff, PBMoveRoute::ChangeSpeed,
PBMoveRoute::ChangeFreq, PBMoveRoute::Opacity,
PBMoveRoute::Blending, PBMoveRoute::PlaySE,
PBMoveRoute::Script
[commands[i+1]]))
i+=1
when PBMoveRoute::ScriptAsync
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::Script,
[commands[i+1]]))
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::Wait,[0]))
i+=1
when PBMoveRoute::Jump
[commands[i+1],commands[i+2]]))
i+=2
[S-HIGHLIGHT]when PBMoveRoute::Graphic
[commands[i+1],commands[i+2],commands[i+3],commands[i+4]]))
i+=4[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
else
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(commands[i]))
end
i+=1
end
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(PBMoveRoute::ThroughOff))
route.list.push(RPG::MoveCommand.new(0))
if event
event.force_move_route(route)
end
return route
end

sob this is so difficult, BUT I PROMISE IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END. if I can manage to work out the rest of this ~mystery~ script (and I'm SO CLOSE, this is like one of the final parts ughhhh), I'll be posting it in the tutorial section and I'm sure it will be super helpful for people :)

**** YES I DID IT!!!!! BRB FINISHING THIS SCRIPT

edit: sigh and then of course three hours later I run into an obvious problem. anyone know how to save/load a dependent event?What exactly do you mean by saving/loading dependent events? Did you create your own dependent event system? As far as I know, they save just like any other event (not that I have a lot of experience with them though).

AmaranthProject
August 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Quick and probably easy question for someone to answer. I need to change the font color of the HP, and Pokemon's name during a battle to white, how can I accomplish this? Thanks for the help!

tasmania12
August 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
You mean you want regional Pokémon storage?

It's a bit tricky, and involves knowing exactly what you're doing. Basically, when you start a new game and the storage variable $PokemonStorage is initialised (in PokemonLoad), copy that line and make a new storage variable for each region (e.g. $PokemonStorageKanto, $PokemonStorageJohto). Remember to also edit PokemonSave similarly, so that it saves these extra storage variables when you quit the game.

When you go from Kanto to Johto, first copy $PokemonStorage to the variable storage $PokemonStorageKanto, then copy $PokemonStorageJohto to $PokemonStorage. Also, before doing this, force the player to deposit all their Pokémon, and afterwards, force them to withdraw at least one Pokémon (unless there are none to withdraw, in which case you're new to the region and you should go see the Professor for a starter). All of this can be done in events.

That's just a brief overview of what's needed. If you're not sure what you're doing, don't do it. It can get a little tricky making sure all the region transfers (e.g. boats, trains) decide correctly which storage systems to shuffle around.

sorry if I seem slow, but, how would someone who is slightly inexperienced in scripting accomplish this?

KitsuneKouta
August 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Quick and probably easy question for someone to answer. I need to change the font color of the HP, and Pokemon's name during a battle to white, how can I accomplish this? Thanks for the help!In PokeBattle_ActualScene look around starting on line 995. All of the fonts are defined there, and their names are fairly self-explanatory. Hopefully you know how to set RGB values well enough.

Vociferocity
August 23rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
What exactly do you mean by saving/loading dependent events? Did you create your own dependent event system? As far as I know, they save just like any other event (not that I have a lot of experience with them though).

...hm, yeah, now it's saving fine. weird. SIGH. what is even going on with my game these days XD

in related news, I'm getting some freakish error and I have no idea what's causing it sigh

KitsuneKouta
August 24th, 2010, 05:15 AM
...hm, yeah, now it's saving fine. weird. SIGH. what is even going on with my game these days XD

in related news, I'm getting some freakish error and I have no idea what's causing it sigh

Scene_Map:60:in `loop' I've seen that error floating around quite a bit. I'm assuming it only happens on one map, since that's been the case for others. I would try checking the events first, the connections, and then maybe the metadata. Those are usually what causes problems on maps. If you can think of an edit you made just before it happened, you may be more likely to find the problem.

Maruno
August 24th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Edit: Forgot my question. How can I retrieve the value for a Pokemon's happiness within an event? I've been trying to get that working for a long time.
You can use simple scripts in events. Just use $Trainer.party[1].happiness or similar.

Vociferocity
August 24th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I've seen that error floating around quite a bit. I'm assuming it only happens on one map, since that's been the case for others. I would try checking the events first, the connections, and then maybe the metadata. Those are usually what causes problems on maps. If you can think of an edit you made just before it happened, you may be more likely to find the problem.

Hmm, I have made a few changes recently. I deleted those, but still had the same error. I checked the connections and the metadata, and nothing looks out of place...augh, this is so annoying.

KitsuneKouta
August 24th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hmm, I have made a few changes recently. I deleted those, but still had the same error. I checked the connections and the metadata, and nothing looks out of place...augh, this is so annoying.It's only that one map, right? Try making another map just like it and swap them out. Essentials tends to fix itself when you play around with it, for no apparent reason. And instead of just copy/pasting the identical map, build it from scratch so that you're sure that whatever the problem is doesn't just get copied too.

Jefelin
August 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks Nickalooose and KingCharizard, he knew the two ways of doing it, but the first, I think it is difficult to match exactly graphically with an image map of event, and the second works but only use it for lamposts in the windows do not get that, Indeed, I think if anyone advises me otherwise I´ll have to choose the first to see if it works.

Come on, get any better, I need for my project, I think it can also be very useful for the whole community

Lucario_XP
August 24th, 2010, 03:03 PM
hello guys.
I put the pokemon animation script. and gives me this error when I try to enter summary.
Nuevo Menu

Message: Section091:49:in `setPokemonBitmap'undefined method `bitmap' for #<BitmapWrapper:0x9e10148>

EDIT:
already solved. I found the error.

***Full script:

sscene=PokemonScreen_Scene.new
sscreen=PokemonScreen.new(sscene,
$Trainer.party)
sscreen.pbPokemonScreen

PokemonSummary:79:in `pbStartScene'

PokemonSummary:823:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonScreen:820:in `pbSummary'

PokemonScreen:1272:in `pbPokemonScreen'

PokemonScreen:1181:in `loop'

PokemonScreen:1436:in `pbPokemonScreen'

(eval):4:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1583:in `eval'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Game_CommonEvent:76:in `update'

Game_Map_:308:in `update'

Game_Map_:307:in `each'

Game_Map_:307:in `update'

Aceptar
that this is bad called .. but before I put this script worked fine on appeal. now I do not work.
I use this method: but say error.
sscene=PokemonScreen_Scene.new
sscreen=PokemonScreen.new(sscene,
$Trainer.party)
sscreen.pbPokemonScreen

(Sorry, google.tanslated)

already solved. I found the error.

Vociferocity
August 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
It's only that one map, right? Try making another map just like it and swap them out. Essentials tends to fix itself when you play around with it, for no apparent reason. And instead of just copy/pasting the identical map, build it from scratch so that you're sure that whatever the problem is doesn't just get copied too.

yep, that fixed it. weird! thanks for the help, dude :)

KitsuneKouta
August 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
yep, that fixed it. weird! thanks for the help, dude :)You're welcome. You said you were going to make a tutorial right? I'd be interested to see what you came up with, since it might help with what I was working on.

Vociferocity
August 24th, 2010, 11:28 PM
You're welcome. You said you were going to make a tutorial right? I'd be interested to see what you came up with, since it might help with what I was working on.

yeah...I'm like, 90% done with that, but the last 10% is being a total dick (tiny, irritating bugs that I have no idea how to fix). haha. I'm trying to get enough of the plot in my game done so I can throw it into my portfolio as a demo next month, so I probably won't get around to finishing the tutorial for a while, which is lame.

Jefelin
August 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Best of all, I have the 2008 version and found a bug (which in this year is not yet resolved at all). This is a problem with the BGM to the music of the night, when a city has a music and a route other everything works fine as it changes depending on where the player is, however if for example we want to retain homes same music that the people outside the problem that arises when you teleport to any home BGM disappears, no music, only until you return to go outside, this also happens for example with any building having more than one plant when going to the other music disappears.

Does anyone know why this happens and if there is any solution to the problem?.

PS: In the version of May 7 this does not happen, but it is not 100% solved it is making music again repeated from the beginning, the melody does not continue.

Thanks in advance.

mackoo
August 25th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Is there a way to remove showing how many badges player have on load screen?

Nickalooose
August 25th, 2010, 05:55 AM
in the scripts(F11), anybody know how i'd go about checking if a Pokémon can evolve, or is the final evolution from the pokemon.txt?

creating a script in PokemonScreen, just in case you need to know.

still would like to know the answer to this please.

also, i'm looking at the "wildbattle" event encounter, and it says you can make Pokémon shiny by using p.makeShiny, and have specific moves by using pbAutoLearnMove(p,PBMoves::TACKLE)... But it also says you can set gender, how would i do this...?

Seven Dragons
August 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Today I am working on getting the regional pokedex to work properly, and I am getting a few errors I need some help with.

I have only set 1 map for the region (Route 1) and all other maps are regionless. The only region I have in townmap.txt is [0] Kanto, which Route 1 is set to. I have a small Kanto region map with only Route 1 assigned in townmap.txt point of interest.

In pokemon.txt I have set Bulbasaur to RegionalNumbers=1 and put him to appear in Route 1 100% of the time.

Here is the problem I am having:

When I test out the region Pokedex it works fine only if I don't have any entries. It shows up and with no entries error free. If I get in a battle and 'see' Bulbasaur then check my regional Pokedex entry the game crashes with this error:

PokemonPokedex:18:in `species'
PokemonPokedex:320:in `pbRefreshDexList'
PokemonPokedex:197:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonPokedex:800:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:142:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:139:in `loop'
PokemonMenu:238:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Scene_Map:180:in `call_menu'

You can see the Pokedex entry show up even though this error occurs, however with no backround or sprite icon.

This is where the error becomes a bit strange.

If I 'see' Bulbasaur and don't check my Regional Pokedex entry and then go one map away and check my National Pokedex entry Bulbasaur shows up where he supposed to, entry 1. I can view his info (with mostly ???) and also see the region map where it shows his "nest" that I saw him at.

Now after viewing his entry in the National Pokedex I can go back down to Route 1 and look at the Regional Pokedex and it works perfectly. I can see that Bulbasaur is the only Poke in the region I have seen, despite seeing many Pokemon in the nation. I can view his info (???) and I can view the region map where I see his "nest". However I cannot get this to work without viewing a National Pokedex entry first everytime. This error seems like some sort of caching is taking place, but it can't draw the correct sprites and icons when going through the Region Pokedex code.

I have spent several hours this morning trying to get it to work with my limited scripting ability, and even reverted back to old code to see if something would change, and nothing did (except more errors than usual). Maybe I am missing an important piece of information to get the Region Pokedex to work properly? I will continue to work on this, all help is much appreciated!

EDIT: *snip*
EDIT: 08/26/2010

Ok so I figured out what the error is finally yahoo! I even wrote a tutorial about it, PM me if your interested it's a tutorial about putting a functioning Regional Pokedex in your game. I would link it but I believe it's against the rules.

ashthebest10
August 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I got an answer for you.

Script: PokeBattle_ActualScene

@sprites["enemybase"].x+=4
@sprites["playerbase"].x-=4
@sprites["shadow1"].x+=4
@sprites["shadow3"].x+=4 if @sprites["shadow3"]
trainersprite1.x+=4
trainersprite2.x+=4 if trainersprite2
@sprites["player"].x-=4
@sprites["playerB"].x-=4 if @sprites["playerB"]
pbGraphicsUpdate
pbInputUpdate
break if @sprites["enemybase"].x>=224You need to change every one of the '=4's to another number (I reccomend 6, do NOT use odd numbers)

Now reposting my question since it was an edit and probably got missed:
Thank you so much, I asked in several forums and nobody answered but you. It worked great, thanks!

Sichlor
August 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I encountered multiple problems while working on my pokemon project using the amazing starter kit that i don't seem to be able to solve myself. I didnt find answers with google and the forum search function....
so i wrote them down and hopefully somebody can help me here:

1. im using the day/night system and like it, but when it comes to the viridian forest i don't know how to set the color tone to a constant dark tone that is not affected by the time of the day and still enables the outdoor setting (for running) Is it possible to cut one map off from the day/night cycle or is there maybe a good workaround?

2. I'd like to imitate the effect from FR/LG that when you look at signs you are able to turn away from them while the first line is still displayed and thus close the message window. I was told that this could only be done closing the interpreter, but the person didn't know how to do it with the modified starter kit scripts. So how can i dispose a message window (only from signs!) when i turn away from them?

3. I have some maps that cover multiple parts of the region map so i can't display the precise, actual position on the town map for the player.
I figured it'd be a good workaround to split up the maps (which works fine for that purpose) into multiple parts. But i still only want the map's name displayed in the upper left corner on entering the FIRST and LAST map of my map-parts and only if i enter from the right direction. so this can't be done using the ShowArea option in the metadata. My first idea would be to handle the events WHEN to show the map's name myself for those maps, but I'd need the script line to do so... i couldn't figure it out myself so maybe somebody knows how to trigger the map-name display by script code.

4. This problem maybe belongs into the animation section, but i think it can only be solved by scripting: I want to change the by default included Stat increase/decrease animations to those used in FR/LG. Yes, they fit to the affected Pokemon's sprite and THAT is just my problem.. When experimenting i noticed that a good effect results from turning the animation frame blending options to "sub" - but that affects the colors drastically... anybody an idea how to solve this??

5. I would like to have the experience bar fill WAY faster... how can i achieve that? when i looked at the script i found something like "rect.fill" and i didn't know how to handle that.. i'd like to speed up this process to have it at least twice as fast. any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Sichlor

Seven Dragons
August 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
5. I would like to have the experience bar fill WAY faster... how can i achieve that? when i looked at the script i found something like "rect.fill" and i didn't know how to handle that.. i'd like to speed up this process to have it at least twice as fast. any ideas?

Just something I know right away, I redid the exp system for my project and the only way of filling it twice as fast if I'm understanding you correctly is to double the exp gain. You will need to do some editing in your PBExperience script.

Or do you mean to have it fill up faster graphically? In that case, I don't know :) But if you want help understanding the PBExperience script just send me a PM I'll see what I can do.

Conan Edogawa
August 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I figured I would post this here because I doubt regular RMXP games use the border like Poccils kit. I have two questions but they're both related. I want the screen to start at 320x240 and have the option to grow to 480x320, not the other way like it currently is. Can someone explain what I need to edit to do that? And also, what do I edit to remove the need of the border when the screen is 320x240?

Sichlor
August 25th, 2010, 04:05 PM
@Seven Dragons
Yeah, unfortunately I meant graphically... it's pretty slow as it is now - compared to the original.... but thanks a lot for trying to help =)

KitsuneKouta
August 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
yeah...I'm like, 90% done with that, but the last 10% is being a total dick (tiny, irritating bugs that I have no idea how to fix). haha. I'm trying to get enough of the plot in my game done so I can throw it into my portfolio as a demo next month, so I probably won't get around to finishing the tutorial for a while, which is lame.That's too bad. I'll be looking forward to it when it's finished though.

1. im using the day/night system and like it, but when it comes to the viridian forest i don't know how to set the color tone to a constant dark tone that is not affected by the time of the day and still enables the outdoor setting (for running) Is it possible to cut one map off from the day/night cycle or is there maybe a good workaround?You might try changing the event that transfers the player to that map to include a "Change Screen Color Tone" that darkens the map. And change the event that transfer the player somewhere else to include another "Change Screen Color Tone" that set the screen back to normal.

Finally, an error of my own. I was working on a script, and it gave the the "script is taking too long" message, and after clicking playtest when reverting the script edit, I get this:
PokemonLoad:331:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
DebugIntro:6:in `main'
Main:59:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:37:in `mainFunction'
Main:37:in `pbCriticalCode'
Main:37:in `mainFunction'
Main:70
Main:69:in `loop'
Main:78It's a pretty random error, since I even deleted the entire script section (it was one I put there, not one from essentials), and it did the same thing. I think I may have closed the window when it was saving after the whole "script is taking too long" thing though, but I don't know if that could affect anything.

EDIT: I fixed the error by erasing the save file. I must have corrupted it.

AmaranthProject
August 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
In PokeBattle_ActualScene look around starting on line 995. All of the fonts are defined there, and their names are fairly self-explanatory. Hopefully you know how to set RGB values well enough.
Making changes to the values is no problem for me, I just have trouble locating what line of code I need to change.

I'm also having trouble trying to change the font of the same text (the Pokemon name and HP and battle). Could you possibly point me in the right direction as to where I can change this? Much appreciated!

KitsuneKouta
August 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Making changes to the values is no problem for me, I just have trouble locating what line of code I need to change.

I'm also having trouble trying to change the font of the same text (the Pokemon name and HP and battle). Could you possibly point me in the right direction as to where I can change this? Much appreciated!To change the color of the name/Lv/HP, look for these lines:

BOXTEXTBASECOLOR=Color.new(64,64,64)
BOXTEXTSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(216,208,176)

The first one is the main color you see, and the second one is the shadow, which should be much darker.

AmaranthProject
August 25th, 2010, 08:58 PM
To change the color of the name/Lv/HP, look for these lines:

BOXTEXTBASECOLOR=Color.new(64,64,64)
BOXTEXTSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(216,208,176)

The first one is the main color you see, and the second one is the shadow, which should be much darker.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I want to change the font style, I have a different TFF file I want to use instead of the default font being used for the Pokemon name and HP.

Sichlor
August 26th, 2010, 01:41 AM
You might try changing the event that transfers the player to that map to include a "Change Screen Color Tone" that darkens the map. And change the event that transfer the player somewhere else to include another "Change Screen Color Tone" that set the screen back to normal.

Thanks, but i already did that as the first thing, and it actually just results in a nearly black map during night-time - i guess it simply adds up with the tone set by the day/night cycle... so that's my problem right there...
well, as i'm writing that i just have the strange idea to write a script that counters the cylce-effects in that map with a tone that adds up to 0 (in my case a bit darker then) with the other screen tone color... can anybody tell me how the settings for the cycle are? (for example: from 12 to 15 its 0,0,0,255 or something like that)

Sichlor

KitsuneKouta
August 26th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I want to change the font style, I have a different TFF file I want to use instead of the default font being used for the Pokemon name and HP.Sorry, I was reading your older post and though you wanted color. For font, I think there are multiple places that use this particular one besides just some in battle fonts, but I can't be sure. You need to find def pbSmallFontName() and get rid of the return statement there and make a new one like this: return "Your Font Name"
Given that this may mess with fonts in other parts of your game, you may want to make a copy of pbSmallFontName() and call it something different, returning the font you want, and go to line 523 of PokeBattle_ActualScene and change the call to the new one you made (I think).

@Sichlor: The day/night system is fairly hard to work with. I looks at geographical location to figure out the time of day or something, and sets the value accordingly. I would almost say that making a new, simpler system would be easier, but someone here has probably played with it enough to help you. Hopefully.

maldicion069
August 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
help me
How to catch shadow pokemon in pokestarter?
Thank you

Cykes
August 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
help me
How to catch shadow pokemon in pokestarter?
Thank you
This is written in the Essentials Wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Pok%C3%A9mon), created by Maruno. Check it out.

Canderis
August 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Is there a way to delete an event from running another event?

KitsuneKouta
August 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Is there a way to delete an event from running another event?What exactly do you mean by this?

tasmania12
August 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I would like regional pokemon storages in my game so that i have one storage system in the first region and when i go to another region i have to automatically deposite all pokemon andmake that storage temporarily un-usable. Then choose a starter from the 2nd region. Then i would like to enable the first one when i want it to. Can someone tell me how to do this?

IceGod64
August 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM
So, I got a puzzler here.

I tried to add an item call the Speed Anklet. It's intent is to double the speed of any Pokemon with low defense EVs/IVs. For testing purposes, I have it set to multiply speed by 637 instead of just 2. However, if I give it to a Pokemon and get into a battle, it doesn't seem to work, and what weird is that the Pokemon seems to lose the ability to attack. It will just say "Pikachu used Thunderbolt!" and then progress without the animation, with not damage being done to the opponent.

I inserted the code for it under Pokebattle_Move, and here's what it looks like:

if isConst?(attacker.item,PBItems,:SPEEDANKLET)
speed*=637
end

Here's the light ball, an item with similar code that actually WORKS.
if isConst?(attacker.species,PBSpecies,:PIKACHU)&&isConst?(attacker.item,PBItems,:LIGHTBALL)
spatk*=3
atk*=3
end

Now... What am I doing wrong exactly?

1ninjadude1701
August 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM
how do i fix this error when i get into tall grass

Pokemon Essentials

OK

Vociferocity
August 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM
hmmm, this might be a tall order, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

see, I'm trying to um, make it so that instead of setting wild pokemon/other trainers' pokemon levels, the game gets the level of your first pokemon and then like...sets the opponent's level to be somewhere between two levels lower/higher than that.

um, I know it kind of sounds random and not at all useful haha but the thing is, my game isn't set in a whole region, it's just like...a small part of the region, and the character has only one pokemon with them at a time (as well as an egg!), so uhhh the thing is obviously depending on how much you grind, your pokemon could like be anywhere from freshly hatched to like, level fifty gazillion, when you come up against plot-related trainers, so pacing opponent's levels is freaking impossible >:(

so I was basically thinking...maybe I could just throw in something small in whatever script controls the battles (like... get first pokemon's level, get a random number between level-2 and level+2, change the opponent's level to that), but I have NO IDEA if that is even viable, or where I'd do it. so uhhhh just thought I'd ask some of you experienced scripters if this is an impossible idea of mine, or if I'm going about it in entirely the wrong manner and I'll have to write a whole brand new script to deal with battles (please god not this)...

thepsynergist
August 27th, 2010, 01:51 AM
hmmm, this might be a tall order, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

see, I'm trying to um, make it so that instead of setting wild pokemon/other trainers' pokemon levels, the game gets the level of your first pokemon and then like...sets the opponent's level to be somewhere between two levels lower/higher than that.

um, I know it kind of sounds random and not at all useful haha but the thing is, my game isn't set in a whole region, it's just like...a small part of the region, and the character has only one pokemon with them at a time (as well as an egg!), so uhhh the thing is obviously depending on how much you grind, your pokemon could like be anywhere from freshly hatched to like, level fifty gazillion, when you come up against plot-related trainers, so pacing opponent's levels is freaking impossible >:(

so I was basically thinking...maybe I could just throw in something small in whatever script controls the battles (like... get first pokemon's level, get a random number between level-2 and level+2, change the opponent's level to that), but I have NO IDEA if that is even viable, or where I'd do it. so uhhhh just thought I'd ask some of you experienced scripters if this is an impossible idea of mine, or if I'm going about it in entirely the wrong manner and I'll have to write a whole brand new script to deal with battles (please god not this)...

God, reading in purple is frusterating.

On another note, what it seems like you are asking is very similar to how enemy levels scale in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I've no idea about how to help you with your script, but I'm sure looking at Oblivion might give you a fair idea on how practical it might be.

Vociferocity
August 27th, 2010, 03:02 AM
God, reading in purple is frusterating.

On another note, what it seems like you are asking is very similar to how enemy levels scale in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I've no idea about how to help you with your script, but I'm sure looking at Oblivion might give you a fair idea on how practical it might be.

c'mon, purple isn't so bad. although I guess it might depend on what style you've got...mine is well pale, so it contrasts nicely :)

yeah, oblivion is an excellent example of this kind of thing. I made a cute little script that generates a random level (within a range of levels all close to your first pokemon's level), so that's all good, but ughhhh the battle scripts are kinda complicated, I have noooo idea how to get the amount of pokemon your opponent has.

Canderis
August 27th, 2010, 03:04 AM
What exactly do you mean by this?

Let's say I trigger an event, another event walks over to talk to me, then he is suppose to disqppear. How would I do the disappearing part? I have been using the set event location but that won't work well anymore.

Vociferocity
August 27th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Let's say I trigger an event, another event walks over to talk to me, then he is suppose to disqppear. How would I do the disappearing part? I have been using the set event location but that won't work well anymore.

er, is he supposed to just like vanish into thin air, or like, walk away and then as soon as he's offscreen vanish into thin air, so it's like he's disappeared. because you could just use a move route to make the 'supposed to disappear' event walk out of sight (eight steps and it'll be gone, I think?), and then just turn on a switch or something that'll make him vanish (as in, the vanishing event has at least two pages, one page where he has a little graphic and no conditions, and a second page where he has no graphic, and has the condition of that switch being on). if he's supposed to vanish into thin air, just skip the move route section.

thepsynergist
August 27th, 2010, 03:25 AM
c'mon, purple isn't so bad. although I guess it might depend on what style you've got...mine is well pale, so it contrasts nicely :)

yeah, oblivion is an excellent example of this kind of thing. I made a cute little script that generates a random level (within a range of levels all close to your first pokemon's level), so that's all good, but ughhhh the battle scripts are kinda complicated, I have noooo idea how to get the amount of pokemon your opponent has.

I use the Johto elite style, so everything is a gray tone. Oh well, that's my fault. I'll change it just for you :D

maldicion069
August 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM
This is written in the Essentials Wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Pok%C3%A9mon), created by Maruno. Check it out.
I do this, but i don´t have any idea to catch shadow pokemon.

carmaniac
August 27th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I do this, but i don´t have any idea to catch shadow pokemon.

You need to create a new pokeball in the editor and it should give you the option to put it as sang ball = true.

KitsuneKouta
August 27th, 2010, 07:37 AM

so I was basically thinking...maybe I could just throw in something small in whatever script controls the battles (like... get first pokemon's level, get a random number between level-2 and level+2, change the opponent's level to that), but I have NO IDEA if that is even viable, or where I'd do it. so uhhhh just thought I'd ask some of you experienced scripters if this is an impossible idea of mine, or if I'm going about it in entirely the wrong manner and I'll have to write a whole brand new script to deal with battles (please god not this)...Actually, me and someone else had asked about this, and poccil posted a script for it. He was also kind enough to stick it in the newer kits too, if I'm not mistaken. However, for your purposes, I have something simple that should work the same. In PokemonTrainers, there is a line that reads: level=poke[1]. Right before it, put something like this:
rnd=rand(2)
rnd2=rand(2)
Then change level=poke[1] to this:
if rnd==0
level=$Trainer.party[0].level+rnd2
else
level=$Trainer.party[0].level-rnd2
endThis should work as far as I can see, but try it and let me know. Note that this is only for trainer battles though.

God, reading in purple is frusterating.No kidding, if you didn't notice I always turn it white :)

Vociferocity
August 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Actually, me and someone else had asked about this, and poccil posted a script for it. He was also kind enough to stick it in the newer kits too, if I'm not mistaken. However, for your purposes, I have something simple that should work the same. In PokemonTrainers, there is a line that reads: level=poke[1]. Right before it, put something like this:
rnd=rand(2)
rnd2=rand(2)
Then change level=poke[1] to this:
This should work as far as I can see, but try it and let me know. Note that this is only for trainer battles though.

No kidding, if you didn't notice I always turn it white :)

ngl, sometimes I can't read your posts because the font is white. this is the madness that comes from having different styles!!!!

also wow, excellent! it totally works, thanks :D hmmm, any ideas about how I could do this for wild pokemon?

venom12
August 27th, 2010, 09:44 AM
For balanced level which poccil scripted use this :
pbBalancedLevel($Trainer.party)
But i dont know where to put it to work.

KingCharizard
August 27th, 2010, 10:10 AM
ngl, sometimes I can't read your posts because the font is white. this is the madness that comes from having different styles!!!!

also wow, excellent! it totally works, thanks :D hmmm, any ideas about how I could do this for wild pokemon?
I can never read your posts

Vociferocity
August 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I can never read your posts

oh goddammit, fine. I can see when I'm outvoted. no more purple font! (I miss it already)

tasmania12
August 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know how to do the regional storages?

ashthebest10
August 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Does anybody know how to make the terrain effects at the start of a battle such as the grass show in the picture below?

Fraot
August 27th, 2010, 11:38 AM
What's up?
Hey, did anybody figure out how to make the May 7th release less laggy? There're scripts I need but I can't use them on my game because there's more than copy and pasting on that.
I tried to move my project to May 7th but... it's too laggy.
If I use the EditorScripts from May 7th, a lot of trouble happens: the types match-ups mess... Petal Dance is super effective against Charizard(even though being Fire/Flying) and BubbleBeam is TOTALLY ignored(neither uneffective nor normally effective nor super effective... just ignored).
I think it's because the May 7th's compiler, since is different from the Nov I-don't-know-what-day release.

Does anybody know how to make the terrain effects at the start of a battle such as the grass show in the picture below?

Well. You can add and load a sprite on the PokeBattle_ActualScene script. Maybe where the battlebg loads... or perhaps where the oponent trainer sprite loads, since it moves from side to side, like the trainer and the battle background.

KitsuneKouta
August 27th, 2010, 11:49 AM
oh goddammit, fine. I can see when I'm outvoted. no more purple font! (I miss it already)Lol, sorry about that. It's just that most people stick with the default theme instead of changing it.

Anyways, I'll look into doing it for wild pokemon too.

Sichlor
August 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
@Sichlor: The day/night system is fairly hard to work with. I looks at geographical location to figure out the time of day or something, and sets the value accordingly. I would almost say that making a new, simpler system would be easier, but someone here has probably played with it enough to help you. Hopefully.

I just came up with a pretty simple workaround:
PBDayNight.getShade() returns a number from 0 (full night) to 255 (full day) so you can adjust the screen tone color while entering the forest easily with condional branches...
Works great!
since this thread expands so rapidly i hope nobody minds if i repost my other questions from before....

1. I'd like to imitate the effect from FR/LG that when you look at signs you are able to turn away from them while the first line is still displayed and thus close the message window. I was told that this could only be done closing the interpreter, but the person didn't know how to do it with the modified starter kit scripts. So how can i dispose a message window (only from signs!) when i turn away from them?

2. I have some maps that cover multiple parts of the region map so i can't display the precise, actual position on the town map for the player.
I figured it'd be a good workaround to split up the maps (which works fine for that purpose) into multiple parts. But i still only want the map's name displayed in the upper left corner on entering the FIRST and LAST map of my map-parts and only if i enter from the right direction. so this can't be done using the ShowArea option in the metadata. My first idea would be to handle the events WHEN to show the map's name myself for those maps, but I'd need the script line to do so... i couldn't figure it out myself so maybe somebody knows how to trigger the map-name display by script code.

3. This problem maybe belongs into the animation section, but i think it can only be solved by scripting: I want to change the by default included Stat increase/decrease animations to those used in FR/LG. Yes, they fit to the affected Pokemon's sprite and THAT is just my problem.. When experimenting i noticed that a good effect results from turning the animation frame blending options to "sub" - but that affects the colors drastically... anybody an idea how to solve this??

4. I would like to have the experience bar fill WAY faster (graphically)... how can i achieve that? when i looked at the script i found something like "rect.fill" and i didn't know how to handle that.. i'd like to speed up this process to have it at least twice as fast(less frames or something) . any ideas?

1ninjadude1701
August 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
can some one help me with this wild pokemon error.

Pokemon Essentials

OK

KitsuneKouta
August 27th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Anyways, I'll look into doing it for wild pokemon too.All right, that one took me a bit to find, but here it is. In PokeBattle_Pokemon, look for self.level=level and change it to this:
rnd=rand(2)
rnd2=rand(2)
if rnd==0
self.level=$Trainer.party[0].level+rnd2
else
self.level=$Trainer.party[0].level-rnd2
end@1ninjadude1701: I believe that is one of the errors that means you need to get a different kit. Upgrade to the latest if you haven't, or find an older one if you have. Also, it's nice if you remove the extra spaces.

maldicion069
August 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi
I have a dude with rgss.
How to definied setBitmap?
Thank you

ashthebest10
August 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
What's up?
Hey, did anybody figure out how to make the May 7th release less laggy? There're scripts I need but I can't use them on my game because there's more than copy and pasting on that.
I tried to move my project to May 7th but... it's too laggy.
If I use the EditorScripts from May 7th, a lot of trouble happens: the types match-ups mess... Petal Dance is super effective against Charizard(even though being Fire/Flying) and BubbleBeam is TOTALLY ignored(neither uneffective nor normally effective nor super effective... just ignored).
I think it's because the May 7th's compiler, since is different from the Nov I-don't-know-what-day release.

Well. You can add and load a sprite on the PokeBattle_ActualScene script. Maybe where the battlebg loads... or perhaps where the oponent trainer sprite loads, since it moves from side to side, like the trainer and the battle background.
I'm am new at scripting but i know enough to get around, can you tell me where the trainers sprite is loaded in PokeBattle_ActualScene?

Maruno
August 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM

I just wanted to voice my own opinions on this. Firstly, my favourite colour is purple. :classic: Also, I notice you say the player will only have one Pokémon at a time, which makes balancing much easier. The rest of my nattering below concerns the general idea of balancing, just for the sake of it.

It would be very difficult to come up with a good balancing system that reduces the chances of abuse. You need to consider a lot of things, including:

(If only the first party Pokémon is considered) The player could lead with a weak Pokémon, only to switch in a much stronger one later and power over the opponents.
(If all party Pokémon are considered) A simple level average won't work, because a team of 5 weaklings and one strong Pokémon would still have a low average level, leading to steamrolling again.
(If the strongest 3 Pokémon only are considered) Same again - the other two could be weaklings just to drive down the average level.
Different species are different. Bug Pokémon are typically weak, so trainers with them should be a little overleveled to compensate.
You could also end up with the trainers owning "illegal" Pokémon, i.e. underleveled Pokémon. A level 15 Blastoise is not normal. Attempting to fix this (i.e. replace with the next highest evolution) would be even more complicated.
(Considering number of badges) The number of badges the player has means little. It's not a good idea to use them as part of balancing.

I think analysing the player's Pokémon and deriving a level from that is wrong, because of the abusability mentioned above. Instead, I would suggest giving the trainer Pokémon core levels, and then restrict the balancing to +/- 5 depending on the relative strengths of them and the player (to even them out a little). It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Going any further with this would probably require some decent maths, namely mean and range of levels. With these two numbers you can tell if there's some abuse going on (i.e. one strong, five weak results in a low mean but big range), so you can adjust the levels accordingly. You can then take different groups of the party Pokémon and run the calculations with them too, to decide what the player is planning to do, and compensate accordingly.

This can get very complicated very quickly. And that's only discussing levels - what about taking natures/abilities/moves into account as well? Not only looking at the player's Pokémon's stats, but also modifying the trainer's Pokémon to suit (e.g. give Charmander an Electric move if the player has a Squirtle).

Nightmare.

Oh, and remember that balancing means the trainers may well have Pokémon whose levels(/stats/etc.) change with each encounter, and eagle-eyed players will pick up on that. They will, too - a few have complained that trainer Pokémon's genders/abilities are random and not fixed.

Does anyone know how to do the regional storages?
Theoretically, yes. Nickalooose asked me a short while ago about this, so I'll just repeat what I told him:

As a guess, I don't think implementing something like this would be too difficult. You'd need to do the following:

Create new storage variables (just like how $PokemonStorage is one), one for each region (e.g. $PokemonStorageKanto, etc.). Note that this is in addition to $PokemonStorage. Have them all initialise the same way in PokemonLoad (i.e. as a set of storage boxes - $PokemonStorageKanto=PokemonStorage.new, etc.).
Make sure these global variables are added to both the save/load functions (because you don't want to lose them when you close the game).
Whenever you cross to a new region, first make the player deposit all their Pokémon (you'll have to force this, because they player cannot deposit their only remaining party Pokémon), then copy $PokemonStorage to whichever storage variable corresponds to the region you just left. Then clear $PokemonStorage and copy to it the contents of the storage variable corresponding to the newly entered region, and then make the player withdraw at least 1 Pokémon (only if they've been there before; if storage is empty, they're new here, so make them go see the Professor for a new starter instead).

Basically, you'll have a set of storage boxes for each region, plus $PokemonStorage which will be a copy of whichever is the local region's boxes. All the scripts will only work with $PokemonStorage, which is fine - the other ones you made are "archive storage"; they're not actively used.

As far as I can tell, as long as you do everything in point 3 each time you enter a different region, it should work fine. Obviously this requires some degree of care to implement in the region-crossings, as there aren't any convenient existing safeguards in place to stop you doing anything silly (e.g. going into the new region with no Pokémon). All of point 3 can and should be done in an event with fairly simple script lines - there's no need for anything more fancy than that.

I just came up with a pretty simple workaround:
PBDayNight.getShade() returns a number from 0 (full night) to 255 (full day) so you can adjust the screen tone color while entering the forest easily with condional branches...
Works great!

If you're using that how I think you're using that (changing the screen tone via the transfer events), I don't think it'll work properly. For one, the screen tone changes every minute, but setting a "change screen tone" line in the transfer event will only change the tone that one time. If you wait around in the forest for a few hours, you'll notice a difference. Even going from one side of the forest to the other takes time, and you'll end up with an offset tone for the rest of the game.

Secondly, the screen tone change won't be negated if you leave via Fly or Teleport or whatever.

I would recommend you look into using a fog instead, and setting the forest to "indoors" (so there's no tone change). Make the fog graphic look leafy, and make it as dark or as light as you want, and there you go.

2. I have some maps that cover multiple parts of the region map so i can't display the precise, actual position on the town map for the player.
First a bit of chat:

This problem you have will only manifest itself when you look at the region map (I'll call it country from now on to avoid confusion) to see your current location. Because one map can only be designated one square in the country, your little trainer face will only ever be displayed in that one square, even if you happen geographically to be a few squares over.

It won't affect anything else, though. Fly destinations, hover-over information and all that are handled as part of the country information, not map-specific information (i.e. you define each square of the country for these things).

I'll agree that it's quite annoying, though. Poccil's probably clever enough to come up with some fix to this (even I can imagine how it might work, but I have little to no idea how to implement it). The only other option is to do what you suggest - split each big map up into smaller one square-sized maps, and selectively modify the signpost scripts to not display if going from map X to map Y.

I haven't done this myself, but I've at least found where it should be done. In PokemonField, find the script procedure Events.onMapSceneChange. In there is the following:

if mapChanged
if pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataShowArea)
scene.spriteset.addUserSprite(LocationWindow.new($game_map.name))
endThis should be modified to do the checks on whether the previous map is X and the new map is Y. The only problem is that there isn't a handy variable that remembers the number of the previous map (aside: if there was, you could use it to display those circles in DPPt that show where you've come from). You'll have to make one yourself. Once made, it's trivial to set up the comparison - but remember to make sure it works both ways (i.e. going from Y to X too).

4. I would like to have the experience bar fill WAY faster (graphically)... how can i achieve that? when i looked at the script i found something like "rect.fill" and i didn't know how to handle that.. i'd like to speed up this process to have it at least twice as fast(less frames or something) . any ideas?
Presumably you mean in battle.

PokeBattle_ActualScene, around line 590 (in the update def of class PokemonDataBox). Find the following:

if @animatingEXP
if !@showexp
@currentexp=@endexp
elsif @currentexp<@endexp
@currentexp+=1
elsif @currentexp>@endexp
@currentexp-=1
endChange those numbers. Simple.