PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Sichlor
August 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Maruno, first of all: Thanks a lot for putting so much time into helping people!

On topic:

If you're using that how I think you're using that (changing the screen tone via the transfer events), I don't think it'll work properly. For one, the screen tone changes every minute, but setting a "change screen tone" line in the transfer event will only change the tone that one time. If you wait around in the forest for a few hours, you'll notice a difference. Even going from one side of the forest to the other takes time, and you'll end up with an offset tone for the rest of the game.

Secondly, the screen tone change won't be negated if you leave via Fly or Teleport or whatever.

I would recommend you look into using a fog instead, and setting the forest to "indoors" (so there's no tone change). Make the fog graphic look leafy, and make it as dark or as light as you want, and there you go.

Yeah, I see that problem now, thanks...

EDIT:But it's only affecting the forest, not the rest of the game! At the exit, (just like at any other door) the tone gets reset to 0 so no problems there.. and i think i can live with a small difference while walking through the forest.
/EDIT

well, my intention to do so after all was not to disable Outdoor, because I want to run in the forest =)
So I guess I have to decide what I can live with better, and until now, I think I want to be able to run in the big forest... maybe I'll change my opinion when I'm using Flying and stuff like that...

First a bit of chat:

This problem you have will only manifest itself when you look at the region map (I'll call it country from now on to avoid confusion) to see your current location. Because one map can only be designated one square in the country, your little trainer face will only ever be displayed in that one square, even if you happen geographically to be a few squares over.

It won't affect anything else, though. Fly destinations, hover-over information and all that are handled as part of the country information, not map-specific information (i.e. you define each square of the country for these things).

I'll agree that it's quite annoying, though. Poccil's probably clever enough to come up with some fix to this (even I can imagine how it might work, but I have little to no idea how to implement it). The only other option is to do what you suggest - split each big map up into smaller one square-sized maps, and selectively modify the signpost scripts to not display if going from map X to map Y.

I haven't done this myself, but I've at least found where it should be done. In PokemonField, find the script procedure Events.onMapSceneChange. In there is the following:

if mapChanged
if pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataShowArea)
scene.spriteset.addUserSprite(LocationWindow.new($game_map.name))
endThis should be modified to do the checks on whether the previous map is X and the new map is Y. The only problem is that there isn't a handy variable that remembers the number of the previous map (aside: if there was, you could use it to display those circles in DPPt that show where you've come from). You'll have to make one yourself. Once made, it's trivial to set up the comparison - but remember to make sure it works both ways (i.e. going from Y to X too).

Sounds Great! Thanks! I don't have that much time right now but I'll try as soon as possible!
EDIT:Made a quick check and found that in Line 1173:

Events.onMapChange+=proc {|sender,e|
oldid=e[0] # previous map ID, 0 if no map ID
healing=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataHealingSpot)
if healing
$PokemonGlobal.healingSpot=healing
end
$PokemonMap.clear if $PokemonMap
if $PokemonEncounters
$PokemonEncounters.setup($game_map.map_id)
end
$PokemonGlobal.visitedMaps[$game_map.map_id]=true
if oldid!=0 && oldid!=$game_map.map_id
weather=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataWeather)
if weather && rand(100)<weather[1]
$game_screen.weather(weather[0],8,20)
end
end
so what about that oldid thing? can we use it???
/EDIT
EDIT2:

Events.onMapChange+=proc {|sender,e|
oldid=e[0] # previous map ID, 0 if no map ID
$game_variables[41]=oldid
$game_variables[42]=$game_map.map_id
healing=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataHealingSpot)
$game_switches[32]=true
if healing
$PokemonGlobal.healingSpot=healing
end
$PokemonMap.clear if $PokemonMap
if $PokemonEncounters
$PokemonEncounters.setup($game_map.map_id)
end
$PokemonGlobal.visitedMaps[$game_map.map_id]=true
if oldid!=0 && oldid!=$game_map.map_id
weather=pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataWeather)
if weather && rand(100)<weather[1]
$game_screen.weather(weather[0],8,20)
end
end
}
41: Oldmap
42: Newmap
=)
/EDIT2

EDIT3:

if mapChanged
if $game_variables[41]!=38 && $game_variables[41]!=39
end
end
end
route3
first map:37 (ShowArea=true)
second map:38 (ShowArea=nil)
third map:39 (ShowArea=nil)
fourth map:40 (ShowArea=true)
WORKS!!!! THANKS!!!
/EDIT3

Presumably you mean in battle.

PokeBattle_ActualScene, around line 590 (in the update def of class PokemonDataBox). Find the following:

if @animatingEXP
if !@showexp
@currentexp=@endexp
elsif @currentexp<@endexp
@currentexp+=1
elsif @currentexp>@endexp
@currentexp-=1
endChange those numbers. Simple.

Yep, works. Thanks! But I'll need to do some fine tuning when I have more time... I found out that you can't simply raise both numbers because it'll flash back and forth to reach @endexp.
And you can't just change the upper number to something bigger and leave the lower number to 1, because then the bar might fill more than intended.
So at the moment I have
if @animatingEXP
if !@showexp
@currentexp=@endexp
@currentexp+=(@endexp-@currentexp)
@currentexp-=1
endWhich works, but is TOO fast =)
I'll try to figure something better out( I can't use something like (@endexp-@currentexp)/4 because that might result in decimal numbers, right?), but maybe you know an answer right away...
Anyhow Thanks alot, you helped me much!!

Sichlor

thepsynergist
August 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM
So, does anyone know how to get that pokeball icon in battle saying you've caught the pokemon already in pokemon essentials?

I need a script edit for that, please...

Conan Edogawa
August 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I figured I would post this here because I doubt regular RMXP games use the border like Poccils kit. I have two questions but they're both related. I want the screen to start at 320x240 and have the option to grow to 480x320, not the other way like it currently is. Can someone explain what I need to edit to do that? And also, what do I edit to remove the need of the border when the screen is 320x240? Not just removing the border, but making it so there is no black around the screen when the border is gone.

This was probably overlooked, any thoughts?

roxaspwner
August 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
So, I'm having a major issue. Is it possible to have a control switch (other than control switch A) be turned on at the end of a battle?

I'm trying to set it up where once you defeat one trainer, the next trainer becomes unlocked, but after the end of the battle currently nothing happens. other than the normal EndSpeeches and such.

Help? or should I try to clarify myself some more. x;

Vociferocity
August 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
All right, that one took me a bit to find, but here it is. In PokeBattle_Pokemon, look for self.level=level and change it to this:
rnd=rand(2)
rnd2=rand(2)
if rnd==0
self.level=$Trainer.party[0].level+rnd2
else
self.level=$Trainer.party[0].level-rnd2
end

you are just constantly amazing! it's insane. thanks muchly :)

Firstly, my favourite colour is purple. :classic:

I knew there was a reason I liked you!

Also, I notice you say the player will only have one Pokémon at a time, which makes balancing much easier. The rest of my nattering below concerns the general idea of balancing, just for the sake of it.

yeah I've been playing with different ideas for balancing - I know a few of your points don't really concern me, but the illegal pokemon thing and the encountering trainers more than once and seeing differently leveled pokemon thing worry me a little. so uhhh I think I've come up with a pretty good solution! unfortunately, it gives away a few too many secrets about my game for me to be able to reveal it~*~*~*~

IceGod64
August 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
THis isn't an error that I need help with or anything, it's pretty clear what I did wrong. However, I will post it for your amusement.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2q8age1.jpg
A game coded in C++ wouldn't even be able to handle that.

thepsynergist
August 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
THis isn't an error that I need help with or anything, it's pretty clear what I did wrong. However, I will post it for your amusement.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2q8age1.jpg
A game coded in C++ wouldn't even be able to handle that.

I can't wait for davidthefat to comment on this.

Also, bump on my Pokeball icon in battle issue. Any ideas? I've no idea how to implement that...considering how much of a staple it is...

ashthebest10
August 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm using "Luka's 7 steps to animated pokemon and trainers" scripts. When a pokemon appears in battle or is sent out, it goes from a battler gaphic in a folder called frame1 to a graphic in a folder called frame2 with some waiting in between. What it does, if you dont know, is look like they "move" when they appear just like the real pokemon games. I want to loop between frame1 and a folder called frame3 throughout the battle to give the appearance that they are more lifelike sort of breathing and things like that. Any ideas how to make this happen?

Maruno
August 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
EDIT3:

if mapChanged
if $game_variables[41]!=38 && $game_variables[41]!=39
end
end
end
route3
first map:37 (ShowArea=true)
second map:38 (ShowArea=nil)
third map:39 (ShowArea=nil)
fourth map:40 (ShowArea=true)
WORKS!!!! THANKS!!!
/EDIT3
That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing, and I'm glad to hear it works. I just hadn't gotten around to testing it for myself.

Yep, works. Thanks! But I'll need to do some fine tuning when I have more time... I found out that you can't simply raise both numbers because it'll flash back and forth to reach @endexp.
And you can't just change the upper number to something bigger and leave the lower number to 1, because then the bar might fill more than intended.
So at the moment I have
if @animatingEXP
if !@showexp
@currentexp=@endexp
@currentexp+=1
@currentexp-=1
endWhich works, but is TOO fast =)
I'll try to figure something better out( I can't use something like (@endexp-@currentexp)/4 because that might result in decimal numbers, right?), but maybe you know an answer right away...
Anyhow Thanks alot, you helped me much!!

Sichlor
What you can do is insert a little calculation alongside the first line (which adds X to the bar's length; in red above), such that if the difference between @currentexp and @endexp is less than X, then just set @currentexp=@endexp instead. Do something similar with the other line (which subtracts X; this line shouldn't ever be used - it's for smeg-ups only).

KitsuneKouta
August 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Also, bump on my Pokeball icon in battle issue. Any ideas? I've no idea how to implement that...considering how much of a staple it is...I'll see what I can come up with. It shouldn't be too hard; just check if the opposing pokemon is owned (using pbOwnedByPlayer?) and display the image. Then, of course, it would have to be erased during trainer battles when a new pokemon is sent out and checked again, which also means there must be a check for both opposing pokemon. Not really difficult; just a matter of finding where to put it all.

Two-Dee
August 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I want to use your tools but, RMXP isnt even working for me! D:

thepsynergist
August 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'll see what I can come up with. It shouldn't be too hard; just check if the opposing pokemon is owned (using pbOwnedByPlayer?) and display the image. Then, of course, it would have to be erased during trainer battles when a new pokemon is sent out and checked again, which also means there must be a check for both opposing pokemon. Not really difficult; just a matter of finding where to put it all.

You wanna code that for me? :nervous:

I'm bad at coding, ever time I change something in the script it usually crashes something else.

Vociferocity
August 29th, 2010, 03:56 AM
one tiny question relating to um, 'compressing the game data', as rpgxp calls it.

is there way to like, cut down on what it extracts and shows the player? like uhh for example, the pokemon uranium beta I have sitting around on my hd just has a few files all "data" and "encryped archive" and "game", whereas like, pokemon raptor has the whole audio/graphics/whatever folder showing up. mine even has the editor showing up sighh I have no idea what to do

maldicion069
August 29th, 2010, 07:24 AM
How I can make that Castform change depending on the weather chart?
How would you call the Battlers for when to SUN, RAIN ,...?

zingzags
August 29th, 2010, 07:38 AM
one tiny question relating to um, 'compressing the game data', as rpgxp calls it.

is there way to like, cut down on what it extracts and shows the player? like uhh for example, the pokemon uranium beta I have sitting around on my hd just has a few files all "data" and "encryped archive" and "game", whereas like, pokemon raptor has the whole audio/graphics/whatever folder showing up. mine even has the editor showing up sighh I have no idea what to do

file>Compress game data
i think

Vociferocity
August 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM
file>Compress game data
i think

uhhh yeah, I clicked that. the thing is, it creates a cute little archive-y application, which when you double click it, extracts like everything and shows it to the user. I just want a .exe for the player to have, or at most like a fonts folder or something.

Colbex
August 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
You could do it manually I suppose. Just copy/paste all the necessary files and then right click the folder and go to something like 7-zip or whatever you use for encryption, or load the same data from the new folder that doesn't have all the stuff you don't want to be shared like editor, ect, ect, and go t file->compress data and make sure you have "create encrypted archive" checked, else someone may download your game and edit/steal w/e they want - such as maps or scripts, and it should work.

EDIT: Oh, while I'm here, lemme re-ask a few questions that weren't answered. (to my knowledge, although I usually don't miss posts...)

I'm using the April 12th version of essentials iirc. Anywho...
here's my repeated question.(Note: I only add emphasis to show importance, and not to sound like a butt that would add mega-emphasis to the word to not-so-subtly say you better answer my question, oh, and I also re-worded the question so it would make more sense and I wouldn't sound so passive.)
While play testing I noticed that during double battles that occur when two separate trainers notice you at the same time the battle sequence doesn't work correctly. The battle will start and appear as if it will work right. Except the only PokéMon capable of doing anything is the first one on your side. It'll just loop you selecting an attack and attacking. While all other Pokemon sit there and take damage. Does anyone know a fix to this or anything of the sort?

Another question:
Has anyone found a fix to the gender and ability of opponents PokeMon changing in between a battle and a rematch, and if not, is there a way to script in a specific trainer team where all moves, ability, ect are set in stone?

bigtukker
August 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hello, I've got a question. I'm trying to get a Title Screen
At the moment I only have that New Game/Option thingy standing there, but how can I get a Title Screen before the New Game/Option screen

carmaniac
August 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hello, I've got a question. I'm trying to get a Title Screen
At the moment I only have that New Game/Option thingy standing there, but how can I get a Title Screen before the New Game/Option screen

It's doing that cause your running the game in the maker, there's a game.exe in the folder so just launch that and there will be a title, cause it doesn't appear in debug mode which is where you're launching the game in RPG Maker.

ashthebest10
August 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm using "Luka's 7 steps to animated pokemon and trainers" scripts. When a pokemon appears in battle or is sent out, it goes from a battler gaphic in a folder called frame1 to a graphic in a folder called frame2 with some waiting in between. What it does, if you dont know, is look like they "move" when they appear just like the real pokemon games. I want to loop between frame1 and a folder called frame3 throughout the battle to give the appearance that they are more lifelike sort of breathing and things like that. Any ideas how to make this happen?

KitsuneKouta
August 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Has anyone found a fix to the gender and ability of opponents PokeMon changing in between a battle and a rematch, and if not, is there a way to script in a specific trainer team where all moves, ability, ect are set in stone?Either I'm making it up, or I think someone (might have been me) mentioned setting the enemies gender to the trainer's gender. Since the trainer's IS defined, you don't have to worry about changing scripts to make the editor support it or anything. I'm not really sure how to go about it without actually trying it, but that's the basic idea.

@ashthebest10: that actually sounds really cool, and really tricky to make work. If I knew how to do it myself, I'd help you, but I'm keeping busy as it is right now.

ashthebest10
August 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Either I'm making it up, or I think someone (might have been me) mentioned setting the enemies gender to the trainer's gender. Since the trainer's IS defined, you don't have to worry about changing scripts to make the editor support it or anything. I'm not really sure how to go about it without actually trying it, but that's the basic idea.

@ashthebest10: that actually sounds really cool, and really tricky to make work. If I knew how to do it myself, I'd help you, but I'm keeping busy as it is right now.
Thanks. If you are not using Luka's 7 steps to animated Pokemon, I would definitly use it. Ever since Crystal Version came out, Pokemon "moved" when they entered battle. Just still pictures is too plain. Luka's tutorial is very simple and I recommend it to everybody.

KitsuneKouta
August 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
So getting the little ball to show up in battle isn't very difficult, however I'm having trouble pinning down how to check if a pokemon is the opponent within the script I'm putting it in (under class PokemonDataBox < SpriteWrapper). Stuff like pbIsOpposing? and @battler.opponent give errors, and just using @battler includes the player's pokemon, which makes it always display the icon.

Vociferocity
August 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
You could do it manually I suppose. Just copy/paste all the necessary files and then right click the folder and go to something like 7-zip or whatever you use for encryption, or load the same data from the new folder that doesn't have all the stuff you don't want to be shared like editor, ect, ect, and go t file->compress data and make sure you have "create encrypted archive" checked, else someone may download your game and edit/steal w/e they want - such as maps or scripts, and it should work.

I like, barely understand this post. haha. uhh how do I know which files are necessary? what folder? what data? sob I am so lost

edit: okay so I think I worked out what you meant after I had a nice long nap fff and ended up doing the encrypted archive thing, deleting the crap in there that I was positive that players don't need, changing the icon, throwing in a readme and then just zipping it up manually. so uhhh I guess this is what you meant??

edit 2: kitsune, your thing for the wild pokemon is giving me a freakish bug :( not when I encounter wild pokemon, mind, that works perfectly, but when I attempt to generate a cute little pokemon egg for the trainer, I get this bug:

Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within event 5, map 6 (Daycare Centre 1F):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Section066:382:in `__mf_initialize'undefined method `level' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:
pbGenerateFirstEggs

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
PokemonMultipleForms:38:in `initialize'
PokemonUtilities:1778:in `new'
PokemonUtilities:1778:in `pbGenerateEgg'
EggGenerator:22:in `pbGenerateFirstEggs'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `eval'
Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:191:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:196:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:63:in `main'

Wichu
August 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
So getting the little ball to show up in battle isn't very difficult, however I'm having trouble pinning down how to check if a pokemon is the opponent within the script I'm putting it in (under class PokemonDataBox < SpriteWrapper). Stuff like pbIsOpposing? and @battler.opponent give errors, and just using @battler includes the player's pokemon, which makes it always display the icon.
Try this:
(@battler.index & 1) == 1

Sichlor
August 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM
What you can do is insert a little calculation alongside the first line (which adds X to the bar's length; in red above), such that if the difference between @currentexp and @endexp is less than X, then just set @currentexp=@endexp instead. Do something similar with the other line (which subtracts X; this line shouldn't ever be used - it's for smeg-ups only).

I'm sorry but i don't get that at all^^ Maybe I'm just a little slow right now, but can you try to explain it to me again, or give me an example code?
Thanks,
Sichlor

Jefelin
August 30th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I have several questions, (I think they are easy to solve but I can not find the solution):

1) I am trying to create a florist shop with the script of the pokemon market, but it gives me error, I think it's because the berries are not recognized as objects that you can buy or sell (see attached error)
2) How I can modify the script of berries for the different types of fertilizer to take effect?
3) how well the script is used day and night, because I try to create events that only come out at night but do not work (see picture 2 attached, I put the first page where the script is activated and time, the rest are only local switch operations)

PS: I have the 2008 version, I hope someone can shed some light on this, thanks

maldicion069
August 30th, 2010, 02:30 AM
How I can make that Castform change depending on the weather chart?
How would you call the Battlers for when to SUN, RAIN ,...?

HELLO!!!!!!
Help me, please

Vociferocity
August 30th, 2010, 05:26 AM
HELLO!!!!!!
Help me, please

dude, chill. a whole page hasn't even gone by yet. have some patience;;

bigtukker
August 30th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I posted this in the wrong thread :P

How can I change the font, and then I mean a less pixelated font.

KitsuneKouta
August 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Try this:
(@battler.index & 1) == 1I had come across that, but I'm not sure how to use it for what I'm doing. The basic idea is this:
species=enemy pokemon's species
if $Trainer.owned[species]
display the graphic
endUsing just @battler is the player's pokemon, but something like (@battler.index & 1) == 1.species is not proper syntax. If I do a check like this:
if (@battler.index & 1) == 1
species=@battler.species
etc.
endIt never returns true. And, it would still have the same problem of returning the player's pokemon.

@maldicion069: I'm fairly sure that's been answered some time ago in this thread. You should look through the older posts. It's also mentioned in the Wiki under Alternate Forms, and tells you where to put the codes, just not the word for word code.

Maruno
August 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry but i don't get that at all^^ Maybe I'm just a little slow right now, but can you try to explain it to me again, or give me an example code?
Thanks,
Sichlor

if @animatingEXP
if !@showexp
@currentexp=@endexp
if @endexp-@currentexp<4
@currentexp=@endexp
else
@currentexp+=4
end
@currentexp-=1
endUse that. Red is obviously what I've added/changed. Note you don't need to edit the "-=1", because as I said, that's only for if something smegs up (i.e. if the exp bar overshoots somehow, this line lets it go back down again).

Sichlor
August 31st, 2010, 03:25 AM
if @animatingEXP
if !@showexp
@currentexp=@endexp
if @endexp-@currentexp<4
@currentexp=@endexp
else
@currentexp+=4
end
@currentexp-=1
end
Yep get it now =)
Thanks!
By the way: For the forest day/night thing - I just added a parallel event in the forest doing the color change which works great.. if i could prevent flying now i guess im done with that^^

zingzags
August 31st, 2010, 08:03 AM
I got an error here when i try to teach a pokemon a new move.

Message: undefined method `bitmap' for #<BitmapWrapper:0x40c2d88>
PokemonSprite:49:in `setPokemonBitmap'
PokemonSummary:105:in `pbStartForgetScene'
PokemonSummary:834:in `pbStartForgetScreen'
PokemonItems:203:in `pbForgetMove'
PokemonItems:200:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonItems:200:in `pbForgetMove'
PokemonItems:376:in `pbLearnMove'
PokemonItems:371:in `loop'
PokemonItems:393:in `pbLearnMove'
PokemonUtilities:2121:in `pbMoveTutorChoose'

Sichlor
September 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Okay, I've got another Problem now:
Does anybody know how to split the text from the Trainer Battle End Speech (text a trainer says when you beat him - but still in battle screen) into multiple messages? I don't like 10 lines of text (for gym leaders) to scroll down - It looks awful! I already tried stuff like multiple"\n"'s but as expected that doesn't work at all. So can anybody help me with this?

Well, and i'd like to re-post two problems that have not been talked about yet, maybe somebody who did'nt read through the whole topic can solve them...

1. I'd like to imitate the effect from FR/LG that when you look at signs you are able to turn away from them while the first line is still displayed and thus close the message window. I was told that this could only be done closing the interpreter, but the person didn't know how to do it with the modified starter kit scripts. So how can i dispose a message window (only from signs!) when i turn away from them?

2. This problem maybe belongs into the animation section, but i think it can only be solved by scripting: I want to change the by default included Stat increase/decrease animations to those used in FR/LG. Yes, they fit to the affected Pokemon's sprite and THAT is just my problem.. When experimenting i noticed that a good effect results from turning the animation frame blending options to "sub" - but that affects the colors drastically... anybody an idea how to solve this??

Thanks in advance
Sichlor

PokemonOI
September 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Can someone help me with this error?

---------------------------
Pokemon Malachite
Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `pbGetDecisionSE' for #<PokemonScreen_Scene:0x5d19828>
PokemonScreen:765:in `pbChoosePokemon'
PokemonScreen:751:in `loop'
PokemonScreen:778:in `pbChoosePokemon'
PokemonScreen:1237:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonScreen:1235:in `loop'
PokemonScreen:1482:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:155:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:154:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:154:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:139:in `loop'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

thepsynergist
September 2nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Can someone help me with this error?

Pokemon Malachite
Message: undefined local variable or method `pbGetDecisionSE' for #<PokemonScreen_Scene:0x5d19828>

OK
Look in the Pokemon_Screen section of your script and see if you misspelled the filename for your decision sound effect.

PokemonOI
September 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Look in the Pokemon_Screen section of your script and see if you misspelled the filename for your decision sound effect.
Ok I did and still get an error.
Do you mind me sending you the script to look at it?

Jefelin
September 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I have several questions, (I think they are easy to solve but I can not find the solution):

1) I am trying to create a florist shop with the script of the pokemon market, but it gives me error, I think it's because the berries are not recognized as objects that you can buy or sell (see attached error)
2) How I can modify the script of berries for the different types of fertilizer to take effect?

thepsynergist
September 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Ok I did and still get an error.
Do you mind me sending you the script to look at it?

All I did was read what the error said, I don't know how to fix it. : /

tasmania12
September 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Can someone tell me how to forcefully deposite all of my pokemon in my party?

Maruno
September 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, I've got another Problem now:
Does anybody know how to split the text from the Trainer Battle End Speech (text a trainer says when you beat him - but still in battle screen) into multiple messages? I don't like 10 lines of text (for gym leaders) to scroll down - It looks awful! I already tried stuff like multiple"\n"'s but as expected that doesn't work at all. So can anybody help me with this?
The battle end speech isn't really meant for that. It's only for one-liners. So no, there's no easy way to put a monologue in there.

Well, and i'd like to re-post two problems that have not been talked about yet, maybe somebody who did'nt read through the whole topic can solve them...

1. I'd like to imitate the effect from FR/LG that when you look at signs you are able to turn away from them while the first line is still displayed and thus close the message window. I was told that this could only be done closing the interpreter, but the person didn't know how to do it with the modified starter kit scripts. So how can i dispose a message window (only from signs!) when i turn away from them?

2. This problem maybe belongs into the animation section, but i think it can only be solved by scripting: I want to change the by default included Stat increase/decrease animations to those used in FR/LG. Yes, they fit to the affected Pokemon's sprite and THAT is just my problem.. When experimenting i noticed that a good effect results from turning the animation frame blending options to "sub" - but that affects the colors drastically... anybody an idea how to solve this??

Thanks in advance
Sichlor
1. I have no idea, and it'd be even harder anyway to do it just for signs.

2. Again, I don't know. I'm just answering these two in case you think I overlooked them on purpose (which I did, because I don't have an answer for you).

Sichlor
September 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
The battle end speech isn't really meant for that. It's only for one-liners. So no, there's no easy way to put a monologue in there.

If you say there is no easy way - is there a hard way? because depending on how hard, I'd try if you gave me a hint where to start. If not - OK,
but thanks anyways

1. I have no idea, and it'd be even harder anyway to do it just for signs.

2. Again, I don't know. I'm just answering these two in case you think I overlooked them on purpose (which I did, because I don't have an answer for you).

I'm sorry if you thought i was addressing you and I admit when I read over it again i sounds as if i was speaking about you, criticizing you for overlooking it. That was not intended! In fact I was just looking for help from anybody else since you didn't know.
So please don't be offended or something =)

Sichlor

Pichuichu
September 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
why is the DP font go no spaces inbetween words likethis?

Maruno
September 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
If you say there is no easy way - is there a hard way? because depending on how hard, I'd try if you gave me a hint where to start. If not - OK,
but thanks anyways
I may have been thinking of something else. Try looking here (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Putting_the_trainer_in_the_game), and noting what it says for "EndSpeech" (there can be more than one). A lot simpler than I thought.

My comment still stands, though. I don't think it's really meant for monologues.

I'm sorry if you thought i was addressing you and I admit when I read over it again i sounds as if i was speaking about you, criticizing you for overlooking it. That was not intended! In fact I was just looking for help from anybody else since you didn't know.
So please don't be offended or something =)

Sichlor
No, I wasn't taking it personally. I just know some people get frustrated when their questions keep getting overlooked (even though it's usually for a good reason), so I thought I'd reiterate the reason people may not answer some questions.

ashthebest10
September 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I need to get rid of the LV. beside the 25 in the example below. I'm using the Black and White version HP bars and as you can see the LV. part of charmander's LV.25 is covering the yellow LV symbol. can anybody tell me what script and how to get rid of the LV. text?

Sichlor
September 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
No, I wasn't taking it personally. I just know some people get frustrated when their questions keep getting overlooked (even though it's usually for a good reason), so I thought I'd reiterate the reason people may not answer some questions.
Ok, then... I just thought since the thread was expanding so fast, nobody would care to read more than max. a few of the last pages, so people who might actually be able to help wouldn't even read them... (Like you didn't react until i re-posted those questions the first time - i guess you didn't read it the first time - so that's what i was trying to accomplish)
Whatever... Let's forget that....

I may have been thinking of something else. Try looking here, and noting what it says for "EndSpeech" (there can be more than one). A lot simpler than I thought.

My comment still stands, though. I don't think it's really meant for monologues.

Already tried that in the beginning. Unfortunately the second, third, etc ones are simply getting ignored. Maybe they're just for re-battles!?
I hope i just do it wrong, but well, if it's too hard I might have to stick with scrolling texts...
thanks for searching, though...

Sichlor

KitsuneKouta
September 3rd, 2010, 03:56 AM

Thanks in advance
SichlorThe stat increase and decrease animations are in the Animations tab in the database. They are called Common:StatUp and Common:StatDown. They can be modified however you want, and they should appear exactly as shown in the database, unless Poccil added something different in the latest kit. If yours is different, let me know so I can check it out in the newest kit, since mine doesn't have anything like that.

Sichlor
September 3rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
The stat increase and decrease animations are in the Animations tab in the database. They are called Common:StatUp and Common:StatDown. They can be modified however you want, and they should appear exactly as shown in the database

Yes, thanks, but that isn't really my problem... I already have the right animation graphics and everything, but if you play a Pokémon game for Game Boy, there are animations that FIT to the sprite.... so the animation graphic is like a square with little waves moving up or down, but it's not displayed as a square, but just applies on the current pokemon sprite...
it looks like this:

OK, it looks like I can't post URLs to pictures until I reach 15 posts, so just go to spriters-resource.com an pick Pokemon FR/LG from the GBA games section.
Scroll down to "Miscellaneous" and you'll find "Stat Effects" (the last picture in the 3rd column from the right)
If you click on the picture, with the Effect shown on it, you can see the resource for the Effect, and you'll know what i mean =)

There are two ways that I know of to make animation fit to the sprite:

1: making an individual animation for every possible sprite (obviously not an option with 400+ pokemon and another 400+ for the backsprites)
2: setting the blending option of the animation frame to "sub" (makes the colors look weird)

which makes both options useless...

So this can maybe be solved by a custom script or something, which "cuts" the animation to fit to the current sprite...
But i have no idea how to affect animations by scripts... Well, maybe it's impossible, but i don't want to give up that easily...

Sichlor

KitsuneKouta
September 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Yes, thanks, but that isn't really my problem... I already have the right animation graphics and everything, but if you play a Pokémon game for Game Boy, there are animations that FIT to the sprite.... so the animation graphic is like a square with little waves moving up or down, but it's not displayed as a square, but just applies on the current pokemon sprite...
it looks like this:

OK, it looks like I can't post URLs to pictures until I reach 15 posts, so just go to spriters-resource.com an pick Pokemon FR/LG from the GBA games section.
Scroll down to "Miscellaneous" and you'll find "Stat Effects" (the last picture in the 3rd column from the right)
If you click on the picture, with the Effect shown on it, you can see the resource for the Effect, and you'll know what i mean =)

There are two ways that I know of to make animation fit to the sprite:

1: making an individual animation for every possible sprite (obviously not an option with 400+ pokemon and another 400+ for the backsprites)
2: setting the blending option of the animation frame to "sub" (makes the colors look weird)

which makes both options useless...

So this can maybe be solved by a custom script or something, which "cuts" the animation to fit to the current sprite...
But i have no idea how to affect animations by scripts... Well, maybe it's impossible, but i don't want to give up that easily...

SichlorI see what you're saying now. I'm not sure it's possible to make an animation fit a sprite, since the sprites image is actually a square with a transparent background, but you could try recoloring the the graphic for the animation so that when you use the sub option, it actually becomes the right color. So, basically make it a weird color to start with until you get what you're looking for.

That being said, I can't say it's impossible, but I don't know if anyone can do it. There is the flash option which can make the battler flash a color, so apparently it ignores transparent parts of the graphic, but giving it a design is a whole other story.

tasmania12
September 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Can someone tell me how to forcefully deposite all of the pokemon in my party?

Sichlor
September 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM
you could try recoloring the the graphic for the animation so that when you use the sub option, it actually becomes the right color. So, basically make it a weird color to start with until you get what you're looking for.

Yeah, I thought of that one, too. But given that every Pokemon sprite has a different color, the sub option would create a different color for every Pokemon... so what I actually need is something completely different...

That being said, I can't say it's impossible, but I don't know if anyone can do it. There is the flash option which can make the battler flash a color, so apparently it ignores transparent parts of the graphic, but giving it a design is a whole other story.
Ok, i don't really understand that part.. what flash option do you mean?
and how can we use it to solve the problem?
But I'll try looking for something like that^^

Anyways, thank you =)
Sichlor

PokemonOI
September 4th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Does anyone know why in the latest version of the kit essentials doesnt put spaces inbetween text even when you use a space?

zingzags
September 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
the d/p text been screwed for awhile

KitsuneKouta
September 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Ok, i don't really understand that part.. what flash option do you mean?
and how can we use it to solve the problem?
But I'll try looking for something like that^^

Anyways, thank you =)
SichlorIn the Animations tab in the database, when you're setting up an animation, there's a white box next to the animations name, right under the word "Animations" on the tab. There you can set extra effects for animations like flash, etc., that can apply to the battler or the background. I attached a picture of it, it's the part outlined in red.

Sichlor
September 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
In the Animations tab in the database, when you're setting up an animation, there's a white box next to the animations name, right under the word "Animations" on the tab. There you can set extra effects for animations like flash, etc., that can apply to the battler or the background. I attached a picture of it, it's the part outlined in red.

Thanks... I always overlooked that^^ just used it for sound effects... well, i think it's a great option, but for my problem we'd have to have a picture flash, instead of pure color... and it would have to move at the same time... i guess that's impossible, unless maybe you're an incredible skilled scripter, and it's possible to change anything there with scripting^^
but thanks for help!

I'll try to figure out something that comes at least a little close to the real animation with that...

Sichlor

Maruno
September 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I need to get rid of the LV. beside the 25 in the example below. I'm using the Black and White version HP bars and as you can see the LV. part of charmander's LV.25 is covering the yellow LV symbol. can anybody tell me what script and how to get rid of the LV. text?
Search PokeBattle_ActualScene for the text "Lv", and you should find it. Then edit that line. Quite simple, especially as "Lv" only appears once in that entire script section.

You'll also want to make sure Pokémon with long names and a gender don't run over the "Lv" part of the graphic too (as your Charmander in the screenshot does).

thepsynergist
September 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks... I always overlooked that^^ just used it for sound effects... well, i think it's a great option, but for my problem we'd have to have a picture flash, instead of pure color... and it would have to move at the same time... i guess that's impossible, unless maybe you're an incredible skilled scripter, and it's possible to change anything there with scripting^^
but thanks for help!

I'll try to figure out something that comes at least a little close to the real animation with that...

Sichlor

I've never been able to get the flash option to work.

Also, bump on my topic about getting the "already caught" pokeball icon during battle to appear. How do I script it? I've no idea...

Tranitar
September 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know the event box script for shops?
Edit: Nevermind found it

KitsuneKouta
September 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I've never been able to get the flash option to work.

Also, bump on my topic about getting the "already caught" pokeball icon during battle to appear. How do I script it? I've no idea...Well, the core of it is down, but I've hit a snag and think I'm probably going to have to script it in elsewhere. As for the flash, it's always worked for me, but not in the way I would like. It usually turns the enemy the color I want it to, but then they stay that color for the rest of the battle...

thepsynergist
September 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Well, the core of it is down, but I've hit a snag and think I'm probably going to have to script it in elsewhere. As for the flash, it's always worked for me, but not in the way I would like. It usually turns the enemy the color I want it to, but then they stay that color for the rest of the battle...

Yeah, that's why I didn't use it, i really was hoping to use flash, but I guess the only way that'd work is to make an animation tileset and just use one frame of the color I want, and expand it to like 500% for a frame. I think that'd work in a pinch. Just theorycrafting here.

Tranitar
September 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
How can I use this Event to make Celebi Shiny
Kernel.pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::CELEBI,20)
do I just add Shiny or S after ,20?

thepsynergist
September 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
How can I use this Event to make Celebi Shiny
Kernel.pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::CELEBI,20)
do I just add Shiny or S after ,20?

I've been told that this info is in the notes.

Tranitar
September 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
My 13 year old brain crashed into a wall and is flopping on the floor like a fish out of water... this is line i was more confused then when I couldnt find my psp while it was in my hand... I have no idea wtf this means...

To allow battles with shiny (different-colored) wild Pokémon, you first need to define a switch for shiny Pokémon, say, 50. Now, insert a new script section just before the last script section in the script editor. In that script, enter the following:
Events.onWildPokemonCreate+=proc {|sender,e| pokemon=e[0] if $game_switches[50] pokemon.makeShiny end}

Cilerba
September 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
It's not that complicated.
Name Switch 50 to whatever you want. I suggest something like "Shiny Pokemon Switch."
Open your script editor (Or press F11)
Then scroll down to the script "Main." Right click that script, and click "Insert."
After that, you should see a blank script. Paste the following into it:
Events.onWildPokemonCreate+=proc {|sender,e|
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[50]
pokemon.makeShiny
end
}
Then name the script to whatever you want.
Click Ok.
Now, if you want to have a special shiny event, like the Gyarydos in GSC/HGSS, you can turn that switch on before a battle, then turn it off after a battle.
Since you want a shiny Celebi, your event should look like this:
Control Switches: [0050: Shiny] = ON
Script: pbWildBattle(
::PBSpecies::CELEBI,level,1)
Control Switches: [0050: Shiny] = OFF
Obviously, you should replace "level" with the level you want Celebi to be.

Tranitar
September 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks Cilerba, worked perfect, you just saved me from alot of script reading that i dont understand.

roxaspwner
September 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM
How do you set background music for towns? I try to do it as an autorun but it ends up freezing the game. o.o'

KitsuneKouta
September 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
How do you set background music for towns? I try to do it as an autorun but it ends up freezing the game. o.o'Hopefully this isn't what you mean but...right click on the map you want to set the bgm for in the map directory to the left of the screen, and choose map properties. Then check the Auto-Change BGM box and select the song you want.

IceGod64
September 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Okay, I need some help here.

I've been trying to make a battle with a wild Pokemon that you can't catch. For example, you would throw a pokeball at it, and it would either A: Miss the Pokemon every time, or B: Tell you you can't capture it. I want this to be controlled by game switch 28, or maybe even by species.

Basically, the Pokemon I want you to be able to fight but not capture are:
Acreus
Giratina
Dialga
Palkia
Shaymin
Groudon
Kyogre
Raquaza
All the Regis

With such a big list, I think using a switch would be easier, but if seems like no matter what I do, it breaks the entire sequence for catching Pokemon regardless.

How do you set background music for towns? I try to do it as an autorun but it ends up freezing the game. o.o'That's a weird way of doing it unless you want to change it through an event, but use 'Parallel process'.

tasmania12
September 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know a script command that deposits your entire party without the pc?

Vociferocity
September 6th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Oookay. So a few of my friends are playing my game, and keep running into like, mini bugs and stuff I can fix pretty easily. The thing is, it's pretty inconvenient for them to keep dling the whole thing and start afresh every time I fix something. Is there a way to like, patch the games? So they can just dl a file or two and keep going with their old save files, I mean.

Wichu
September 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM
If you haven't encrypted the game data, you can just send them the file(s) you changed. For example, if you edited something on the map with ID 011, you can get them to replace their Data/Map011.rxdata with the updated one.

Vociferocity
September 6th, 2010, 02:30 AM
........way to make me regret encrypting it! Haha oh well, what's done is done, I guess XD so uhhh is there a way to do it if it's encrypted?

thepsynergist
September 6th, 2010, 04:40 AM
........way to make me regret encrypting it! Haha oh well, what's done is done, I guess XD so uhhh is there a way to do it if it's encrypted?

The whole point of encrypting the file is to prevent its modification or extraction. You'll have to send the entire encrypted game file again. : /

Vociferocity
September 6th, 2010, 04:45 AM
The whole point of encrypting the file is to prevent its modification or extraction. You'll have to send the entire encrypted game file again. : /

pretty much what I figured. oh well, shot myself in the foot I guess hahaha;;

Sichlor
September 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I had come across that, but I'm not sure how to use it for what I'm doing. The basic idea is this:
species=enemy pokemon's species
if $Trainer.owned[species]
display the graphic
endUsing just @battler is the player's pokemon, but something like (@battler.index & 1) == 1.species is not proper syntax. If I do a check like this:
if (@battler.index & 1) == 1
species=@battler.species
etc.
endIt never returns true. And, it would still have the same problem of returning the player's pokemon.

well
i tried around for a while and this works great:

if @battler.index==1
print PBSpecies.getName(@battler.species)
if $Trainer.owned[@battler.species]
print "yep"
else
print "nope"
end
end
prints name, and then prints if you own the pokemon or not... you can just replace the print things with whatever code you heart desires... and of course take out the printing of the name... it's just good for checking =)

Fraot
September 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hey... could someone help?
This is weird, and I actually like it, but it's not the official way to do it...
The problem is:
When I switch out pokémon, and when the other pokémon is sent out, nothing happens, I mean, the opponent's pokémon should attack, but it doesn't, so I could switch pokémon unlimited times and the opponent doesn't do anything.
I like this... but it's not pokémon-like, so, how can I fix this?

Samuraigun7
September 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hello people i really need help i just wanted to get my head around this Pokemon starter kit and figure what works what and how to use can anyone teach me I really a noob at this so if someone can teach me how to use the pokemon starter kit that will be really great thanks. Message me if you would like to teach me

KitsuneKouta
September 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM
well

if @battler.index==1
print "yep"
else
print "nope"
end
end
Lol, I see what it was now. I was mixing up @battler and @battle, and then it turns out that using the change species command does not add the pokemon to your pokedex. So even when I had it right, nothing was happening since you actually have to catch them the old fashioned way for it to trigger. Thanks, I can get back to work on it now.

One other thing. I didn't expect it to be a problem, but the image actually gets covered up by the enemy databox. It's set up the same way as the status graphic, however it does not appear on top of the databox like statuses do.

Sichlor
September 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Lol, I see what it was now. I was mixing up @battler and @battle, and then it turns out that using the change species command does not add the pokemon to your pokedex. So even when I had it right, nothing was happening since you actually have to catch them the old fashioned way for it to trigger. Thanks, I can get back to work on it now.

One other thing. I didn't expect it to be a problem, but the image actually gets covered up by the enemy databox. It's set up the same way as the status graphic, however it does not appear on top of the databox like statuses do.

Well, I'm pretty interested in what you will come up with, because I'd like to implement something like that in my game too,
and I didn't really deal with the battle scripts enough yet to do it myself...
So you'd save me quite some work here =)
I guess you will post it here when you're done!?
Maybe you can give me what you already have, so I have something to start with and I can try it myself...

Sichlor

KitsuneKouta
September 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Well, I'm pretty interested in what you will come up with, because I'd like to implement something like that in my game too,
and I didn't really deal with the battle scripts enough yet to do it myself...
So you'd save me quite some work here =)
I guess you will post it here when you're done!?
Maybe you can give me what you already have, so I have something to start with and I can try it myself...

SichlorOnce I get it working right, I'll make a tutorial for it and put a link to it in my signature or something.

Okay, I need some help here.

I've been trying to make a battle with a wild Pokemon that you can't catch. For example, you would throw a pokeball at it, and it would either A: Miss the Pokemon every time, or B: Tell you you can't capture it. I want this to be controlled by game switch 28, or maybe even by species.

With such a big list, I think using a switch would be easier, but if seems like no matter what I do, it breaks the entire sequence for catching Pokemon regardless.All right, I finally got around to your question. In PokeBattle_Battle on line 144, you should see
if @opponent && (!pbIsSnagBall?(ball) || !battler.isShadow?)
Because of the little message you get in battle from this, you're probably better off making something that looks just like it right below with different parameters, like this (whole code included for completeness, new part in blue):
@scene.pbThrowAndDeflect(ball,1)
pbDisplay(_INTL("The Trainer blocked the Ball!\nDon't be a thief!"))
elsif @opponent && $game_switches[20]
else
pokemon=battler.pokemon
species=pokemon.species
if !rareness
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,16)
rareness=dexdata.fgetb # Get rareness from dexdata file
dexdata.close
endThat should work, but I haven't actually tested it so let me know if it doesn't. Also, you could add a little message like the one when trying to steal a trainer's pokemon. It would be like this (I added the part in green just in case):
pokemon=battler.pokemon
species=pokemon.species
pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} deflected the ball!",species)Just put that right below the part in blue above.

Gregora
September 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Is there a way to have a bigger map? Like how in HGSS, the Johto/Kanto map looks like one big map and you can scroll between the maps? I ask because the region in my game is pretty big and the map's too big for the map thing included with the starter kit to deal with the map without making it too narrow...

Maruno
September 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
well

if @battler.index==1
print "yep"
else
print "nope"
end
end
prints name, and then prints if you own the pokemon or not... you can just replace the print things with whatever code you heart desires... and of course take out the printing of the name... it's just good for checking =)
I would suggest a slight modification, so that both Pokémon in a double battle are checked. I would also make sure it displays only during wild battles, because there's no point during trainer battles because you can't capture them anyway.

Behold, the code I'm using in my game (orange text is stuff you can modify):
if $game_switches[27] && (@battler.index==1 || @battler.index==3) && $Trainer.owned[@battler.species]
imagepos=[["Graphics/Pictures/databoxcaught.png",@spritebaseX+16,@spritebaseY+34,0,0,-1,-1]]
pbDrawImagePositions(self.bitmap,imagepos)
endThis goes in the def refresh in class PokemonDataBox. The game switch is for checking whether it's a wild battle or not - true means wild battle, false means trainer battle. The associated code is a single line turning the switch on/off at the start of pbStartBattleCore in PokeBattle_Battle:
$game_switches[27]=(!@opponent)It's true only if there's no opponent (i.e. no enemy trainer: a wild battle). Unfortunately I can't find a better way of checking whether it's a wild/trainer battle than using a switch, but it's no hassle.

Oh, and my version of Essentials is a little older, hence the old-style file name for the caught icon. You may want to modify that to suit.

What I've done will place the graphic in the data box, so it won't be covered by it.

thepsynergist
September 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hey Kitsune, I was just checking up on the progress you got on that "already caught" pokeball icon in battle.

IceGod64
September 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
All right, I finally got around to your question.

First off, I just want to point out the syntax error in your code - pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} deflected the ball!",species) - you missed one ")". Not a hard fix, just though I'd mention.

Now there's some good news and bad news. The good new is, Pokeballs ingeneral actually work now. You can throw them and catch pokemon. The bad news is, it completely overlooks the switch, and tries to catch wild Pokemon anyway.

I tried a couple of random things, including swapping the $ with @ or nothing at all, and got the same outcome: It caught the Pokemon anyway. If I remove the "@opponent && ", then it completely re-breaks the script.

Edit: And yes, I tried adding " == true" after "game_switches[28]", that didn't do anything either.

KitsuneKouta
September 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
First off, I just want to point out the syntax error in your code - pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} deflected the ball!",species) - you missed one ")". Not a hard fix, just though I'd mention.

Now there's some good news and bad news. The good new is, Pokeballs ingeneral actually work now. You can throw them and catch pokemon. The bad news is, it completely overlooks the switch, and tries to catch wild Pokemon anyway.

I tried a couple of random things, including swapping the $ with @ or nothing at all, and got the same outcome: It caught the Pokemon anyway. If I remove the "@opponent && ", then it completely re-breaks the script.

Edit: And yes, I tried adding " == true" after "game_switches[28]", that didn't do anything either.Lol, I make little syntax errors like that all the time. Makes programming more difficult than it has to be. Anyways, I tried removing the @opponent && and it didn't catch the pokemon. That should have fixed it. When you said re-breaks, what exactly does it do? When I made that little change, it ignores the ball throw animation (just like in trainer battles in the kit), and the wild pokemon keeps fighting.

@Maruno: Thanks much. That will save me some time to get back to working on stuff. Also, do you mind if I make a tutorial of it (you'll be given the credit)? A few pages from now people will probably start asking about it again because they won't want to look through the older pages, so then I could just put the link to it in my signature.

@thepsynergist: Maruno already got it, so you should use his. If I ever feel like it I may change it from having to use a switch, but I don't see any need for it right now so I'll leave it as is (and it might take a while to change it anyways).

IceGod64
September 9th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Lol, I make little syntax errors like that all the time. Makes programming more difficult than it has to be. Anyways, I tried removing the @opponent && and it didn't catch the pokemon. That should have fixed it. When you said re-breaks, what exactly does it do? When I made that little change, it ignores the ball throw animation (just like in trainer battles in the kit), and the wild pokemon keeps fighting.

Okay, so imagine you try to catch a pokemon - Regardless of whether the switch is on or off. You select the pokeball, and it'll say "Trainer threw one pokeball!" and then without playing any animation or anything else, it'll go right back to the fight menu. If you try to use a move, switch pokemon, etc., everything else still works.

KitsuneKouta
September 9th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Okay, so imagine you try to catch a pokemon - Regardless of whether the switch is on or off. You select the pokeball, and it'll say "Trainer threw one pokeball!" and then without playing any animation or anything else, it'll go right back to the fight menu. If you try to use a move, switch pokemon, etc., everything else still works.I just tested it, and when the switch is on, it does what you said (that's what it's supposed to do), and when it's off you can catch pokemon normally. I guess try copy/pasting the code, I indcluded some of the code around it too:

pbDisplay(_INTL("The Trainer blocked the Ball!\nDon't be a thief!"))
elsif $game_switches[20]
else
pokemon=battler.pokemon
species=pokemon.species
if !rareness
dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,16)
rareness=dexdata.fgetb # Get rareness from dexdata file
dexdata.close
endThis is exactly what I have. Are you testing it on a wild pokemon event, or on random encounters? If it's an event, make sure the switch actually activates before the battle.

Sichlor
September 9th, 2010, 05:53 AM
What I've done will place the graphic in the data box, so it won't be covered by it.

Thanks....
I tried putting the code to different placed in the script, but it always got covered by the box, AND moved from bottom to position! i still don't get why, but since you solved both....
Thanks again =)

Sichlor

tasmania12
September 9th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hey, I have a problem with shadow Pokemon. The script works fine and all, but one major problem is that when I capture the Shadow Pokemon, the trainer i caught it from won't send out any other Pokemon. It will stay there in a battle screen and when I attack it says "There is no target". I just need him to send out more Pokemon if he has them, and if he doesn't, then treat the capture of his Shadow a win.

Another thing. How do I change the graphic for the snag ball when i throw it at the pokemon. It just looks like a normal pokeball.

IceGod64
September 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I just tested it, and when the switch is on, it does what you said (that's what it's supposed to do), and when it's off you can catch pokemon normally. I guess try copy/pasting the code, I indcluded some of the code around it too:

Basically, in the test area I set up a sign. If you check it once, it'll say you shouldn't be able to catch pokemon now and activates switch 28(Yes, I did change the switch in the script). If you check it again, it'll deactivate it. Right beside that I have a patch of grass with just a bunch of level 20 Bulbasaur.

Well, now seems to have fixed it, actually. I don't know what the difference in our code was, as I didn't notice anything obvious, but I just added a message line and now if the switch is on it'll say "Trainer used one Pokéball!" "But the ball had no effect...". Basically, it actually works.

Thanks for the help!

Maruno
September 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
@Maruno: Thanks much. That will save me some time to get back to working on stuff. Also, do you mind if I make a tutorial of it (you'll be given the credit)? A few pages from now people will probably start asking about it again because they won't want to look through the older pages, so then I could just put the link to it in my signature.

@thepsynergist: Maruno already got it, so you should use his. If I ever feel like it I may change it from having to use a switch, but I don't see any need for it right now so I'll leave it as is (and it might take a while to change it anyways).
Go ahead. A good place for the tutorial would be the wiki (see my signature). I'll need to think of a way to incorporate tutorials into the wiki, but for now you can just make a Battles page (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/index.php?title=Battles).

Thanks....
I tried putting the code to different placed in the script, but it always got covered by the box, AND moved from bottom to position! i still don't get why, but since you solved both....
Thanks again =)

Sichlor
If the icon appears in the data box, it's always a good idea to put the icon in the data box. ;)

Hey, I have a problem with shadow Pokemon. The script works fine and all, but one major problem is that when I capture the Shadow Pokemon, the trainer i caught it from won't send out any other Pokemon. It will stay there in a battle screen and when I attack it says "There is no target". I just need him to send out more Pokemon if he has them, and if he doesn't, then treat the capture of his Shadow a win.

Another thing. How do I change the graphic for the snag ball when i throw it at the pokemon. It just looks like a normal pokeball.
I don't know exactly how Snag Balls work, so I can't answer the first part of your question.

A Snag Ball can be (and should be) a separate item to any other Poké Ball. As such, it has its own icons just like each other Poké Ball. In particular, the throwing/capturing animation uses three ball pictures located in Graphics/Pictures called "ball00_0.png" and so forth. Just edit the ones that relate to your Snag Ball.

IceGod64
September 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Here we go. I have one more

def pbCommandMenu(index)
# Use this method to display the list of commands.
# Return values:
# 0 - Fight
# 1 - Pokémon
# 2 - Bag
# 3 - Run
shadowTrainer=(hasConst?(PBTypes,:SHADOW) && @opponent)
ret=pbCommandMenuEx(index,[
_INTL("What will\n{1} do?",@battle.battlers[index].name),
_INTL("FIGHT"),
_INTL("PARTY"),
_INTL("BAG"),
shadowTrainer ? _INTL("CALL") : _INTL("RUN")
])
if ret==3 && shadowTrainer
ret=4 # convert "Run" to "Call"
end
return ret
endI'm not really sure what to input here at all. What I'm trying to do is have the run function be "Call" in any trainer battle. Can anyone help with this? I know PBTypes,:SHADOW wouldn't have to be there, but I tried just making it "shadowTrainer = (@opponent)", and it's not correct. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'd rather not resort to a switch for every trainer battle in the game.

I resolved it. Explanation on how below.

Conan Edogawa
September 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I have two rather simple questions, but I've been having troubles with them. First off, I've been trying to create an event where your rival is standing in the lab and says something upon interacting with them. But once you get your pokemon he goes up to you and says a new batch of text before walking out. I had both events working separately, but then when I attempted to use self switches to connect them both events disappeared.

Secondly, I want to have a double battle for a gym leader. I've messed with the gym leader event, but to no prevail.

IceGod64
September 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not really sure what to input here at all. What I'm trying to do is have the run function be "Call" in any trainer battle. Can anyone help with this? I know PBTypes,:SHADOW wouldn't have to be there, but I tried just making it "shadowTrainer = (@opponent)", and it's not correct. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'd rather not resort to a switch for every trainer battle in the game.

Ignore that enitre post. I figured something out.

I used Maruno's script to check if you've already caught wild pokemon or not, using switch 49 to check if it's a wild battle or not. I then added this afterward:

if $game_switches[49] == true
$game_switches[48] = false
else
$game_switches[48] = true
endAnd edited the other script likeso:

shadowTrainer = $game_switches[48]
ret=pbCommandMenuEx(index,[
_INTL("What will\n{1} do?",@battle.battlers[index].name),
_INTL("FIGHT"),
_INTL("POKé"),
_INTL("BAG"),
shadowTrainer ? _INTL("CALL") : _INTL("RUN")
])
if ret==3 && shadowTrainer
ret=4 # convert "Run" to "Call"
end
return ret
endAnd it works. Thank you, Maruno!

Now I just need to edit the call script. It was bugged up for me (As it it skipped the turn), but that's an easy fix in the case.

KitsuneKouta
September 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Go ahead. A good place for the tutorial would be the wiki (see my signature). I'll need to think of a way to incorporate tutorials into the wiki, but for now you can just make a Battles page (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/index.php?title=Battles).All right, I'll get right on it.

@IceGod64: Glad it worked. It should probably be expanded though to actually show the ball being thrown. I don't know why it wasn't put in in the first place, since the method was actually called pbThrowAndDeflect, and yet there's a complete lack of throwing or deflecting...

Maruno
September 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I have two rather simple questions, but I've been having troubles with them. First off, I've been trying to create an event where your rival is standing in the lab and says something upon interacting with them. But once you get your pokemon he goes up to you and says a new batch of text before walking out. I had both events working separately, but then when I attempted to use self switches to connect them both events disappeared.

Secondly, I want to have a double battle for a gym leader. I've messed with the gym leader event, but to no prevail.
1) Simple. At the end of the event that gives you your Pokémon, put in a move route for the rival, then some text messages, then another move route to make it walk off-screen. Once it's off, delete the rival event. There's no need to use self-switches, I think.

2) The wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Putting_the_trainer_in_the_game) shows how to make a double trainer battle. Just put a "DoubleBattle: true" comment in the Gym Leader event.

Conan Edogawa
September 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
1) Simple. At the end of the event that gives you your Pokémon, put in a move route for the rival, then some text messages, then another move route to make it walk off-screen. Once it's off, delete the rival event. There's no need to use self-switches, I think.

2) The wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Putting_the_trainer_in_the_game) shows how to make a double trainer battle. Just put a "DoubleBattle: true" comment in the Gym Leader event.

Thank you for the answer. I originally used the switches because I had the event set up differently, but when I posted I decided this format would be better. I didn't know the comments worked the same for gym leaders, so I figured it's be better to ask. Thank you again for the help.

Vociferocity
September 11th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I have two questions today relating to partner trainers/dependent events.

1) when I dismiss the partner trainer when inside (like, in a non-outdoor map), I get this error and the game crashes. the error looks vaguely familiar, but I have nooo idea what it means.

Interpreter:509:in `command_end'
Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'
Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

2) so the partner trainer is supposed to constantly be in a specific place (obviously except for when she's walking around with you), and you can go up and get her to walk around with you whenever you want. and if you dismiss her while on another map, she's back where she's supposed to be when you go to her home map, but if you dismiss her in her home map, she doesn't show up in her spot. she does show up if you then go to a new map and return, but it's still mildly inconvenient. any way to make it so you don't have to uhhh leave + come back before she'll show up again?

KitsuneKouta
September 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I have two questions today relating to partner trainers/dependent events.

1) when I dismiss the partner trainer when inside (like, in a non-outdoor map), I get this error and the game crashes. the error looks vaguely familiar, but I have nooo idea what it means.

Interpreter:509:in `command_end'
Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'
Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

2) so the partner trainer is supposed to constantly be in a specific place (obviously except for when she's walking around with you), and you can go up and get her to walk around with you whenever you want. and if you dismiss her while on another map, she's back where she's supposed to be when you go to her home map, but if you dismiss her in her home map, she doesn't show up in her spot. she does show up if you then go to a new map and return, but it's still mildly inconvenient. any way to make it so you don't have to uhhh leave + come back before she'll show up again?I tried it out real quick with the default dependent event, and didn't get the error you mentioned when dismissing them indoors. Try the default one real quick, since it could be a problem somewhere with the one you made. For the second issue, I'll look into it.

Vociferocity
September 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I tried it out real quick with the default dependent event, and didn't get the error you mentioned when dismissing them indoors. Try the default one real quick, since it could be a problem somewhere with the one you made. For the second issue, I'll look into it.

I have like...five dependent events, and this is the only one that has this error (although actually, thinking about it? this is the only one where the player chooses when to split up with the partner - the others are all plot related! - so actually I don't think any of the others have even had the opportunity to break indoors! I think I'll go see if any of those have the same error), so yeahhh clearly I've done something crazy with it, but honestly I have no idea what! it's exactly the same code >:(

pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::PSYCHIC_Female,"Amy",0)
Kernel.pbAddDependency2(@event_id,
"amy2", 9)to start, and

pbDeregisterPartner
Kernel.pbRemoveDependency2("amy2")to finish. augh this is so infuriating! I don't understand why it only happens on inside maps

PokemonOI
September 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Can someone Please Help me with this error?

Exception: TypeError
PokemonScreen:765:in `se_play'

Does anyone know what this means?

Script 'PokemonDefaultItems'line 10: NameError occured.
Uninitialized constant ItemHandlers::UseFromBag

KitsuneKouta
September 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::PSYCHIC_Female,"Amy",0)
Kernel.pbAddDependency2(@event_id,
"amy2", 9)

pbDeregisterPartner
Kernel.pbRemoveDependency2("amy2")Comparing it to the example dependent event, there's 2 things that are off: one is the 0 after the trainer's name, which is a 2 in the example, and the pbDeregisterPartner line, which should be pbDeregisterPartner()

Vociferocity
September 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Comparing it to the example dependent event, there's 2 things that are off: one is the 0 after the trainer's name, which is a 2 in the example, and the pbDeregisterPartner line, which should be pbDeregisterPartner()

the thing is, neither of those should be a problem. the number is for like, referencing different trainers who share the same trainer class/name (and there's only one of this trainer, so if anything I could probably get rid of the 0 with no problems. and deregister partner has no actual parameters, because there's only one partner at a time (which actually brings up an interesting problem I'll have later. hmm, I should look into that now and save future!me the headache), so I don't think the () are needed. but I mean, even so, when I try adding a (), it breaks in exactly the same way. so bizarre! if only I could have a delicious "if inside, don't have the option to leave, else have the option to leave" code, but I don't think that's even possible, is it?

IceGod64
September 13th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Has nobody else noticed that the animated Pokemon script breaks the summary and Pokedex screens?

The summary screen is easy to fix.
Go into PokeBattle_ActualScene, and search for ".setPokemonBitmap", replace this with ".bitmap = pbLoadPokemonBitmap". Now repeat that search as many times as you have to, in order to replace all ".setPokemonBitmap" definitions within PokeBattle_ActualScene with ".bitmap = pbLoadPokemonBitmap".

You'll want to do this step in PokemonSummary as well.

As for the Pokedex screen, I don't know how to make that work properly right off. It checks the battlers folder and not the frames, but I'd rather not have a THIRD copy of every pokemon sprite in the battlers golder, as I want to try to conserve as much space as possible.

KitsuneKouta
September 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
the thing is, neither of those should be a problem. the number is for like, referencing different trainers who share the same trainer class/name (and there's only one of this trainer, so if anything I could probably get rid of the 0 with no problems. and deregister partner has no actual parameters, because there's only one partner at a time (which actually brings up an interesting problem I'll have later. hmm, I should look into that now and save future!me the headache), so I don't think the () are needed. but I mean, even so, when I try adding a (), it breaks in exactly the same way. so bizarre! if only I could have a delicious "if inside, don't have the option to leave, else have the option to leave" code, but I don't think that's even possible, is it?It is bizarre. Has there been any modifications to the DependentEvents script? Also, it should be possible to remove the option to make the partner leave when indoors, but it's somewhat awkward. I can somewhat fix the issue with dismissing the partner in their original map (I don't think the method I'm using is the best), so the partner does stay behind wherever you leave them, but they become passable and can't be interacted with (until you leave and return).

thepsynergist
September 13th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Has nobody else noticed that the animated Pokemon script breaks the summary and Pokedex screens?

The summary screen is easy to fix.

You'll want to do this step in PokemonSummary as well.

As for the Pokedex screen, I don't know how to make that work properly right off. It checks the battlers folder and not the frames, but I'd rather not have a THIRD copy of every pokemon sprite in the battlers golder, as I want to try to conserve as much space as possible.

Basically, anywhere that it shows a sprite via script, you'll have to replace all of them.

IceGod64
September 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Basically, anywhere that it shows a sprite via script, you'll have to replace all of them.
The Pokedex script doesn't contain any instances of that. It uses a different method.

thepsynergist
September 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
The Pokedex script doesn't contain any instances of that. It uses a different method.

I just did the sprite copy, since I could figure out how else to work it either...

Oh well, I'm sure someone will figure it out.

Vociferocity
September 14th, 2010, 02:45 AM
It is bizarre. Has there been any modifications to the DependentEvents script? Also, it should be possible to remove the option to make the partner leave when indoors, but it's somewhat awkward. I can somewhat fix the issue with dismissing the partner in their original map (I don't think the method I'm using is the best), so the partner does stay behind wherever you leave them, but they become passable and can't be interacted with (until you leave and return).

my dependentevents script is the same as it always has been. ugh this is insanely bizarre, especially since it's the only one of my dependent events that does it;;

--although, I just had a thought. I'm not sure the other dependent events I tested this with were also partner trainers, hmmm. okay no, just tried with a partner trainer, and it totally doesn't break that way either. I honestly have no idea, now. there is absolutely nothing different going onnn >:(

yeahh I might just give up on the dismissing partners thing if there doesn't seem to be a simple fix. it's not really that big a deal imo, and I really need to get working on the next segment of plot.

KitsuneKouta
September 14th, 2010, 04:06 AM
my dependentevents script is the same as it always has been. ugh this is insanely bizarre, especially since it's the only one of my dependent events that does it;;

--although, I just had a thought. I'm not sure the other dependent events I tested this with were also partner trainers, hmmm. okay no, just tried with a partner trainer, and it totally doesn't break that way either. I honestly have no idea, now. there is absolutely nothing different going onnn >:(

yeahh I might just give up on the dismissing partners thing if there doesn't seem to be a simple fix. it's not really that big a deal imo, and I really need to get working on the next segment of plot.If the others don't break, then I can only suggest remaking that dependent event real quick and seeing if that fixes it. I think we had a similar problem like this before, where a portion of code wasn't working, then you copy/pasted it and the problem was fixed. Essentials does that.

Jefelin
September 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Sorry, but anyone know to fix this error, i don´t know why there, I would be grateful.

PBTypes:23:in `getName'
PokeBattle_ActualScene*:336:in `refresh'
PokeBattle_ActualScene*:240:in `battler='
PokeBattle_ActualScene*:2003:in `pbFightMenu'
PokeBattle_Battle:2406:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:2400:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battle:2455:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:2389:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:2389:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:724:in `pbStartBattleCore'

Thanks

Jefelin

PokemonOI
September 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Can someone please help with this error?

Pokemon Essentials
PokemonScreen:538:in `se_play'
PokemonScreen:538:in `pbShowCommands'
PokemonScreen:1284:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:238:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

OK

KitsuneKouta
September 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM
@Jefelin & PokemonOI: a little more info would be helpful in solving your problems. Errors usually don't make sense outside of their proper context, so things like when the error occurs, changes that coincide with the timing of the error, etc., are needed to figure it out.

On another note, I'm looking for a way to pause and unpause the bgm (I know how easy that sounds). I know that those commands exist, however I want to use them in a new class and don't want to have to redefine them in that class (especially since some of the commands require others to function, so I can't just copy/paste 2 or 3). Does RMXP have any default commands to fade out the bgm, save the position it was playing at, and restore it later? It can be done with events, so I'm assuming something similar should be possible with a script. The main point is that I can stop and restart the bgm, but I actually want it to continue instead of restarting. What I want is in AudioUtilities and Scene_Map, but I'm trying to keep the script as a stand-alone, keeping the functions it needs within itself.

Vociferocity
September 16th, 2010, 02:35 AM
rewrote the event (and made it neater), the error is gone. sigh.

note to self: remember essentials is fickle like this, and if you find a bizarre error, just rewrite that bit of code/event. it will save you a headache or two!

Wichu
September 16th, 2010, 03:17 AM
On another note, I'm looking for a way to pause and unpause the bgm (I know how easy that sounds). I know that those commands exist, however I want to use them in a new class and don't want to have to redefine them in that class (especially since some of the commands require others to function, so I can't just copy/paste 2 or 3). Does RMXP have any default commands to fade out the bgm, save the position it was playing at, and restore it later? It can be done with events, so I'm assuming something similar should be possible with a script. The main point is that I can stop and restart the bgm, but I actually want it to continue instead of restarting. What I want is in AudioUtilities and Scene_Map, but I'm trying to keep the script as a stand-alone, keeping the functions it needs within itself.

RMXP doesn't have this feature as far as I know. Poccil's custom Audio.dll file can do it, but might be a bit buggy.

EDIT: The event editor's 'Resume BGM' command starts the memorised BGM from the beginning, not the point where it stopped.

Jefelin
September 16th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Okay, so you will see this error when I select the command to attack in combat, and despite leaving the game does not close. Box appears to affect the types and quantities of attack (the small, right) and also seems to be that involved the constants file (in data folder) and the editor.
What is the role of the constants file and why it only affects?

Lims
September 16th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Whoa I think it should be good, I just first time using RPG Maker XP....

KitsuneKouta
September 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
RMXP doesn't have this feature as far as I know. Poccil's custom Audio.dll file can do it, but might be a bit buggy.

EDIT: The event editor's 'Resume BGM' command starts the memorised BGM from the beginning, not the point where it stopped.That event command is surprisingly less useful than I though. I'll just see about using the ones added into essentials then. Thanks.

@Vociferocity: Glad it worked. Of course, no matter how much you try to look out for it in the future, it is likely to happen again... It's worse when it makes you think it was something you did when it was just essentials throwing a wrench at it, and then you start re-doing stuff and it gets messier.

@Jefelin: Were you customizing the battle scripts? Something (probably small) may have got lost in editing, or a variable or method is being used/changed somewhere that it is not defined or passed to. Do you mark changes you make? Your best bet may be to get an unedited version of that script and put in your edits one at a time (or as many as are required to function properly) until you either finish and it works, or you find which one caused the error. If you haven't made any changes, then just put in the unedited script and ignore editing.

@Lims: It is good. You just need a lot of patience.

Jefelin
September 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
The problem is that this only happens if I open the Editor, but no, but once you get this error then leaves forever.
I think the problem comes because once experimented with the Editor, I tried to put a new Editor (with all its files) to a previous version, namely 2008, and since then if I open the editor after I get this error, a solution I've found is to replace the Constants file I had before this and resolved, but when I open the editor the problem goes away again, god I'm lost.

KitsuneKouta
September 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
The problem is that this only happens if I open the Editor, but no, but once you get this error then leaves forever.
I think the problem comes because once experimented with the Editor, I tried to put a new Editor (with all its files) to a previous version, namely 2008, and since then if I open the editor after I get this error, a solution I've found is to replace the Constants file I had before this and resolved, but when I open the editor the problem goes away again, god I'm lost.That would explain it. What did you need the 08 editor for exactly? You may have been better off just using that whole kit, especially if Poccil updated the editor scripts in the newer kits (which I'm sure he did). So the problem is that you probably have an editor that was designed to work with an older script, and things got moved around/redefined/removed so the one you have now can't function since it's incompatible. You might be better off upgrading to a new kit and moving your stuff over, unless you know which version you have and can find someone who will give you their editor + related files.

Jefelin
September 17th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the info KitsuneKouta,
I will try to find the Editor of that version

sheep10
September 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Please can someone help me? every time i try adding an item even with the debug menu i get this error:
Message: Script error within event 2, map 47 (Coulfer Town):
Message: Section089:761:in `pbStoreItem'undefined method `<' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
Kernel.pbItemBall(::PBItems::TOWNMAP)
PokemonField:1655:in `pbItemBall'
Interpreter:785:in `eval'
Interpreter:785:in `command_111'
Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

FL
September 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I need help with this problem:
What's up?
Hey, did anybody figure out how to make the May 7th release less laggy? There're scripts I need but I can't use them on my game because there's more than copy and pasting on that.
I tried to move my project to May 7th but... it's too laggy.
If I use the EditorScripts from May 7th, a lot of trouble happens: the types match-ups mess... Petal Dance is super effective against Charizard(even though being Fire/Flying) and BubbleBeam is TOTALLY ignored(neither uneffective nor normally effective nor super effective... just ignored).
I think it's because the May 7th's compiler, since is different from the Nov I-don't-know-what-day release.

Any news on XP time String error?

Maruno says that aren't better Pokémon Essentials version, but more stable. What is the more stable?

How I know the last update of Essetials if Poccil doens't update the String "May 7" any more without download it every day?

Waiting a pbs Pokédex with new pokés.

Mark975
September 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Mine wont open! can anyone tell me why.It says " Invalid access to memory location"

thepsynergist
September 19th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Mine wont open! can anyone tell me why.It says " Invalid access to memory location"

Weird. Did you try running the application as an administrator?

Conan Edogawa
September 19th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone has edited the starter kit to use bigger battle sprites, or knows how to do it. I have all the Black and White sprites, but I'd rather not resize them as that would take a long time.

IceGod64
September 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone has edited the starter kit to use bigger battle sprites, or knows how to do it. I have all the Black and White sprites, but I'd rather not resize them as that would take a long time.

The game displays sprites by whatever size the image is. So basically, either you have to resize all the old ones or all the new ones.

What I did, was I used the 'batch processing' in XnView to scale up all the HGSS pokemon pokemon sprites to 200% with the nearest neighbor filter(Retains pixelation), and used batch rename to make the match the name scheme for their proper categories (Such as 493b for arceus' backsprite), and I got everything don exactly as I needed is within 10 minutes. You could do something similar for the Trainers in essentials if you want to.

Conan Edogawa
September 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
The game displays sprites by whatever size the image is. So basically, either you have to resize all the old ones or all the new ones.

What I did, was I used the 'batch processing' in XnView to scale up all the HGSS pokemon pokemon sprites to 200% with the nearest neighbor filter(Retains pixelation), and used batch rename to make the match the name scheme for their proper categories (Such as 493b for arceus' backsprite), and I got everything don exactly as I needed is within 10 minutes. You could do something similar for the Trainers in essentials if you want to.

So in order to do this I need all the sprites to be 80x80. By that I mean the Pokemon sprites, because those are the ones I plan on adding. Should I delete all the old sprites and add the new ones, or leave them as place holders?

IceGod64
September 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
So in order to do this I need all the sprites to be 80x80. By that I mean the Pokemon sprites, because those are the ones I plan on adding. Should I delete all the old sprites and add the new ones, or leave them as place holders?

Keep them as placeholders, and replace them once you've everything done.

Mark975
September 19th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Weird. Did you try running the application as an administrator?

Yes i did try but still doesnt work.

thepsynergist
September 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yes i did try but still doesnt work.

Wierd. If its a memory access error, then it must be something with your physical memory sticks. Do you have this error with any other applications?

KitsuneKouta
September 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Is it possible to find type1 and type2 of a pokemon based on it's species? I'm not exactly sure how types work, but it looks as though types are used to describe a pokemon (as well ID, name, nature, etc.) rather than the actual species.

Maruno
September 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Is it possible to find type1 and type2 of a pokemon based on it's species? I'm not exactly sure how types work, but it looks as though types are used to describe a pokemon (as well ID, name, nature, etc.) rather than the actual species.
A brief look at the code reveals that this is exactly what it does - the ".type1" command finds and returns the primary type of the species of the Pokémon in question (as defined in pokemon.txt), not the primary type of that specific Pokémon. This saves having to store types for every single Pokémon, when pokemon.txt works just as well and takes up less space.

For example, you have a Bulbasaur at the front of your party. The code $Trainer.party[0].type1 will return Grass (well, the number corresponding to Grass, anyway) because that is the primary type of Pokémon of the species Bulbasaur.

HOWEVER, that only applies to Pokémon that don't have alternate forms defined. If the Pokémon in question's species does have alternate forms defined, then the types returned are listed in PokemonMultipleForms instead and depend on the form of that specific Pokémon (even if it would be the default type anyway). See Shaymin/Wormadam/Arceus in that script section for examples.

It is important to note the difference here: by default the commands will return the types associated with the species (from pokemon.txt), UNLESS the Pokémon's species has alternate forms defined; in which case the type returned also depends on that specific Pokémon's form (from PokemonMultipleForms).

KitsuneKouta
September 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
A brief look at the code reveals that this is exactly what it does - the ".type1" command finds and returns the primary type of the species of the Pokémon in question (as defined in pokemon.txt), not the primary type of that specific Pokémon. This saves having to store types for every single Pokémon, when pokemon.txt works just as well and takes up less space.

For example, you have a Bulbasaur at the front of your party. The code $Trainer.party[0].type1 will return Grass (well, the number corresponding to Grass, anyway) because that is the primary type of Pokémon of the species Bulbasaur.

HOWEVER, that only applies to Pokémon that don't have alternate forms defined. If the Pokémon in question's species does have alternate forms defined, then the types returned are listed in PokemonMultipleForms instead and depend on the form of that specific Pokémon (even if it would be the default type anyway). See Shaymin/Wormadam/Arceus in that script section for examples.

It is important to note the difference here: by default the commands will return the types associated with the species (from pokemon.txt), UNLESS the Pokémon's species has alternate forms defined; in which case the type returned also depends on that specific Pokémon's form (from PokemonMultipleForms).I see what you're saying. The issue is that the pokemon I'm trying to return the type for doesn't actually exist. So, I basically need something like species.type1, which gives an error. And of course, simply setting pokemon to species and using pokemon.type1 is the exact same. For example, say I wanted to return Charmander's type. I'm not referencing an existing charmander, just that particular species. So I couldn't use $Trainer.party[0].type1, since it's not in the party (or boxes, or in battle).

Mark975
September 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Wierd. If its a memory access error, then it must be something with your physical memory sticks. Do you have this error with any other applications?
nope all the other applications are fine

thepsynergist
September 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
nope all the other applications are fine

Then I have no idea. Try reinstalling RPG Maker?

Lucario_XP
September 21st, 2010, 02:24 AM
Hi guys, i need help!!
the battle trainers is not working
Pokemon Essentials

Message: Section066:526:in `__mf_initialize'undefined method `language' for #<PokeBattle_Trainer:0xa3e8800>

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(::PBTrainers::INTERVIEWERS,"Kris & Red",_I("Very good job."),true)

PokemonMultipleForms:38:in `initialize'

PokemonTrainers:20:in `new'

PokemonTrainers:20:in `pbLoadTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:17:in `each'

PokemonTrainers:17:in `pbLoadTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:8:in `each'

PokemonTrainers:8:in `pbLoadTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:312:in `pbTrainerBattle'

Aceptar

Jefelin
September 21st, 2010, 05:39 AM

1) I am trying to create a florist shop with the script of the pokemon market, but it gives me error, I think it's because the berries are not recognized as objects that you can buy or sell (seems that the pokemart script changed in the last versions, my version is 2008).

KitsuneKouta
September 21st, 2010, 06:29 AM

1) I am trying to create a florist shop with the script of the pokemon market, but it gives me error, I think it's because the berries are not recognized as objects that you can buy or sell (seems that the pokemart script changed in the last versions, my version is 2008).
2) How I can modify the script of berries for the different types of fertilizer to take effect?1. I threw together a quick shop event to try it, and didn't notice any problem. It could have just been a syntax error, as berries are defined in items.txt. Here's what I used:

pbPokemonMart([
PBItems::CHERIBERRY,
PBItems::CHESTOBERRY,
PBItems::PECHABERRY
])

2. First, the fertilizer has to be properly defined in items.txt. Then, in the berry event, you should make a check to see the player's quantity. To do that, use this in a conditional branch:
$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(::PBItems::POTION)

Just change potion to whatever the fertilizer is. Then, in the true portion of the conditional branch, subtract the item from the bag like this:
$PokemonBag.pbDeleteItem(::PBItems::POTION), add some text to let the player know what happened, and then apply the effects to the berry. I'm not too sure on the last part since I haven't messed with berries too much, and I don't know exactly what the fertilizer is supposed to do without knowing more about how berries work.

@Lucario_XP: send me a snapshot of the event setup so I can see if there's a problem in the setup.

Jefelin
September 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
1. Thanks, it was as you said, there was a misplaced comma, but so far I could not find the error, thanks.

2. Basically there are different types of fertilizer, for example one serves to accelerate the process of berry growth and mature earlier, etc, how could you add this to the script of berries?

Maruno
September 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM
I see what you're saying. The issue is that the pokemon I'm trying to return the type for doesn't actually exist. So, I basically need something like species.type1, which gives an error. And of course, simply setting pokemon to species and using pokemon.type1 is the exact same. For example, say I wanted to return Charmander's type. I'm not referencing an existing charmander, just that particular species. So I couldn't use $Trainer.party[0].type1, since it's not in the party (or boxes, or in battle).
Ah, I see.

No, as you've found, ".type1" only works on specific Pokémon. However, you could take the code found inside the def type1 in PokeBattle_Pokemon and "adapt" it rather easily to the following:

dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,8)
type1=dexdata.fgetb
dexdata.close
Pretty much nothing was changed here, actually. "species" is either the National Dex number of the species you want, or "PBSpecies::BULBASAUR", depending on what you find easier to use (I would suggest the latter). The thing you'll use afterwards is "type1" (remember that it's the number, not the name of the type).

For the secondary type, use "9" instead of "8".

Just pop those four lines of code in your event or wherever it is you want to use them. Something similar can be done with all the other species-related info (e.g. abilities, moveset, body colour, etc.).

2. Basically there are different types of fertilizer, for example one serves to accelerate the process of berry growth and mature earlier, etc, how could you add this to the script of berries?
With difficulty. I couldn't help you anyway, as I haven't so much as glanced at the berry scripts (and am unlikely to do so).

Kronos
September 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
A Quick question. I'm trying to code a button to press on a two screen script. I have the code pretty much set, but I cannot find in what script or what line the game waits for the confirm key to be pressed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks =]

KitsuneKouta
September 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Ah, I see.

No, as you've found, ".type1" only works on specific Pokémon. However, you could take the code found inside the def type1 in PokeBattle_Pokemon and "adapt" it rather easily to the following:

dexdata=pbOpenDexData
pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,8)
type1=dexdata.fgetb
dexdata.close
Pretty much nothing was changed here, actually. "species" is either the National Dex number of the species you want, or "PBSpecies::BULBASAUR", depending on what you find easier to use (I would suggest the latter). The thing you'll use afterwards is "type1" (remember that it's the number, not the name of the type).

For the secondary type, use "9" instead of "8".

Just pop those four lines of code in your event or wherever it is you want to use them. Something similar can be done with all the other species-related info (e.g. abilities, moveset, body colour, etc.).Thanks. I did most of that but messed it up about halfway.

Worldslayer608
September 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
I noticed something interesting today while walking around in game.

I have one map that extends along a Y axis. Player walks north to south. The bottom half of the map will lag a considerable amount when I start walking around in it. When I walk out the southern exit to the next map, that map lags as well. If I return to the north part of the first map it stops, and when I take the west exit of the second map that lags, it also stops.

Any idea what is causing this?

It might be important to note that there are no scripts or objects that I have placed in these maps, they are just empty worlds with tiles.

Zadow
September 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm really sorry if this has been asked before but I've got no clue what to do.
I've received an error message upon launching the game.
I haven't done anything with essentials for a while and last time I checked it was working.
All I've done since then is make a new map and get half way through mapping it -.-'

I'm also accompanied by a second and third error message when I try to launch the editor.

FIRST - RMXP GAME LAUNCHING

Pokemon Essentials
Compiler:2826:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:2821:in `each'
Compiler:2821:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:3931:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4027

OK

SECOND - EDITOR LAUNCHING

Picture in attachments because it's not a normal Copy+Paste error.

THRID - AFTER OK-ing SECOND ERROR

Pokemon Essentials
Compiler:2833:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:2828:in `each'
Compiler:2828:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:3938:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4034

OK

I tried replacing my data folder with an older backup but didn't change anything :S I'd upgrade my version of essentials but I'm 1. Not sure if it's even functional after looking at this thread. 2. Would have to replace some scripts that I'm not sure how to. and 3. Would be a pain.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

SOLVED!
After a while and the process of elimination it turned out to be a corrupt map, and no, not the new one I'd started working on.
Thanks for reading anyway.

Luka S.J.
September 22nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
I noticed something interesting today while walking around in game.

I have one map that extends along a Y axis. Player walks north to south. The bottom half of the map will lag a considerable amount when I start walking around in it. When I walk out the southern exit to the next map, that map lags as well. If I return to the north part of the first map it stops, and when I take the west exit of the second map that lags, it also stops.

Any idea what is causing this?

It might be important to note that there are no scripts or objects that I have placed in these maps, they are just empty worlds with tiles.

They connection script is whats causing it. Larger maps will lag as long as their next connection is a large map. So the way to eliminate this is either reducing the size of your maps, or removing connections and making the transfer through events (sort of like PSP DS does it). Also if you break the maps into smaller maps and then connect them, there will be less lag on each individual map. You might want to consider reducing the number of maps connected to an individual map, that might reduce the lag too. The reason for this problem is that if there is a connection set within the maps, RMXP will load the current map, and its adjacent connections at the same time, along with all that goes with it (events, autotiles, etc).

Jefelin
September 22nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks Maruno for being honest, I know it would be difficult but well, I'll watch to see if anyone comes to life and creates a script for this, unfortunately I have little idea of scripts :(

Worldslayer608
September 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
They connection script is whats causing it. Larger maps will lag as long as their next connection is a large map. So the way to eliminate this is either reducing the size of your maps, or removing connections and making the transfer through events (sort of like PSP DS does it). Also if you break the maps into smaller maps and then connect them, there will be less lag on each individual map. You might want to consider reducing the number of maps connected to an individual map, that might reduce the lag too. The reason for this problem is that if there is a connection set within the maps, RMXP will load the current map, and its adjacent connections at the same time, along with all that goes with it (events, autotiles, etc).

Ahh, thanks Luka, now that you mention it I even recall a conversation we had about this some time ago.

:)

Rassalon
September 24th, 2010, 07:37 AM
This is probably not possible but oh well.
Is it possible to remove the entire Pokemon essentials battle system and, use it in an average project? If it is possible how?

orlando1595
September 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I downloaded the starter kit some time ago it has everything I need I tested everything I was going to do but I noticed....the attack animations/sprites...I want to know how to fix them because I used Flamethrower and it just showed as a simple attack then I used Roar of time and it did the same and for all the other moves. :l

Nickalooose
September 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
This is probably not possible but oh well.
Is it possible to remove the entire Pokemon essentials battle system and, use it in an average project? If it is possible how?

by average project, i assume just an RPGMaker project, not essentials...
i read somewhere that you can just copy and paste the battle system scripts, but im not entirely sure where i read it...

I downloaded the starter kit some time ago it has everything I need I tested everything I was going to do but I noticed....the attack animations/sprites...I want to know how to fix them because I used Flamethrower and it just showed as a simple attack then I used Roar of time and it did the same and for all the other moves. :l

the attack animations aren't implemented, you have to create them yourself or ask someone else to do it... use the Editor.exe in the main Essentials folder and click ''Animation Editor''

Now my question... how would i go about writing a script to read from a .txt file like how abillities do... is it just a one-liner?

Maruno
September 25th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Now my question... how would i go about writing a script to read from a .txt file like how abillities do... is it just a one-liner?
Certainly not. Such a thing is quite complex.

There are two parts to reading a .txt file and loading its contents into the game: defining the variables used for that information, and actually reading it in. This doesn't include actually using the information anywhere.

The wiki page Adding new encounter methods (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_new_encounter_methods#Defining_a_new_encounter_method) offers an extremely brief glance at what that means, and provides reasons for doing what you do (there's more to do than you think). Basically, you need to define the variables in the appropriate script module, and then edit Compiler to include reading in your new .txt file.

While I usually suggest a "copy 'n' paste" approach to doing anything, here I would strongly recommend you keep away from it unless you really know what you're doing. It involves some very complicated and fiddly code, and it can't really be taught.

You could always skip the Compiler part, and put the information directly into the scripts. The items obtained via the Pickup ability do this, for one. You just need to remember where you keep it all. After all, the PBS files are just convenient storage places for information that can be easily accessed, rather than trawling through the scripts. That's all they're for.

FL
September 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I need help with this problem:

Any news on XP time String error?

Maruno says that aren't better Pokémon Essentials version, but more stable. What is the more stable?

How I know the last update of Essetials if Poccil doens't update the String "May 7" any more without download it every day?

Waiting a pbs Pokédex with new pokés.I found pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=231437 . I forget to seach in another topics, sorry for that. But Poccil himself know this XP clock bug?

NuclearWizard
September 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hm. Does anyone have any idea when the new pokemon will get their addition to PEssentials? Like...in under three months range? Hah.

IceGod64
September 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Hm. Does anyone have any idea when the new pokemon will get their addition to PEssentials? Like...in under three months range? Hah.

It will most likely be a while, as the games are not even out in the US. Most of the new Pokemon don't even have English names yet.

I'm still having a problem in my own project. Ever since I installed the animated Pokemon scripts made by Luka SJ, the graphics dor Pokemon refuses to show up anymore. I've tried a multitude of fixes, but to know avail.

Here's the section of script that I know is behind it:

pbDrawTextPositions(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap,textpos)
pkmnbitmap=AnimatedBitmap.new(pbPokemonBitmapFile(species,false))
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap.blt(
40-(pkmnbitmap.width-160)/2,
48-(pkmnbitmap.height-160)/2,
pkmnbitmap.bitmap,pkmnbitmap.bitmap.rect)
pkmnbitmap.dispose
pbPlayCry(species)
pbFadeInAndShow(@sprites)
endFor me, it starts around line 480. Any help?
Edit: Easy fix found.

FL
September 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
It will most likely be a while, as the games are not even out in the US. Most of the new Pokemon don't even have English names yet.You can use japanese names and making until the english names came out and replace in database in minutes!
And three month is too long! The sprites, gifs and crys are amost rippeds. Using a certain program to read the files, you can rip the pokémon.txt and tm.txt in few hours, like the most sites pokédex over intenet!

But the Moves, Abilities and Triple battle are more hard because they need to be create a certain logic and can delay more...

Maruno
September 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
You can use japanese names and making until the english names came out and replace in database in minutes!
And three month is too long! The sprites, gifs and crys are amost rippeds. Using a certain program to read the files, you can rip the pokémon.txt and tm.txt in few hours, like the most sites pokédex over intenet!

But the Moves, Abilities and Triple battle are more hard because they need to be create a certain logic and can delay more...
If it's so easy to add in the new Pokémon, you can do it yourself.

There are plenty of Gen 4 features that still don't exist in Essentials, not to mention contests which have never been implemented, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any Gen 5 stuff for at least a year after the games come out in English. And that's only if poccil ever finishes frelling around with the daylight system.

Aside from not having English names for the Gen 5 Pokémon, the sprites are also larger than before, and the back sprites are now full pictures rather than cut off, so it'll be a bit tough to fit them into the default screen resolution (which is the smaller Gen 3 size).

Besides, why would you want to include the Gen 5 Pokémon? The majority of them are terrible.

The 100 Mega Shock
September 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Besides, why would you want to include the Gen 5 Pokémon? The majority of them are terrible.

That has nothing to do with the question.

FL
September 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
If it's so easy to add in the new Pokémon, you can do it yourself.

There are plenty of Gen 4 features that still don't exist in Essentials, not to mention contests which have never been implemented, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any Gen 5 stuff for at least a year after the games come out in English. And that's only if poccil ever finishes frelling around with the daylight system.

Aside from not having English names for the Gen 5 Pokémon, the sprites are also larger than before, and the back sprites are now full pictures rather than cut off, so it'll be a bit tough to fit them into the default screen resolution (which is the smaller Gen 3 size).

Besides, why would you want to include the Gen 5 Pokémon? The majority of them are terrible.It's not my specialty to rip data for pokémon.txt . The TMs I can do easily. But, if its delay one month or two I try something.

I trying think they implementation like Fakemon, not the zooms. I found all front 96x96 (the max size is 128x128, right?) and backs its only to do a cut.

I want to include the gen 5 because basically I believe they bring me more downloads/views =D. Bigger pokédiversity can improve the quality if used right.
And I like they, especially the new combination types. The worst thing is the high level from evolution, but I can think in something.

IceGod64
September 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM

I don't know why he would, but...

(Spoiler warning for those who havent seen the 5th gens yet)
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/7a/572.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/503.png

In my opinion, these are two good reasons.
Back on topic:
Blech, I'm trying to change the naming screen to D/P/Pts. It's not working too well, since I can't find the Y coordinate for the name blanks or the letter displays.

Cykes
September 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM
That's really just a personal opinion; many people like them.

Kitty17794
September 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hey guys... I have a quick question. I did a search on this thread, but I didn't see anything that really answered it. While attempting to work on my charsets, I realized (while pulling from different sites/games for the bases to edit) that... they're all different sizes. If you compare the ones that come with the kit, and say, the DP kit that was somewhere in this thread I believe, they're totally different.

What should the actual size of the characters be in order to match up? Or are we just stuck using the few charsets included?

abnegation
September 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hey guys... I have a quick question. I did a search on this thread, but I didn't see anything that really answered it. While attempting to work on my charsets, I realized (while pulling from different sites/games for the bases to edit) that... they're all different sizes. If you compare the ones that come with the kit, and say, the DP kit that was somewhere in this thread I believe, they're totally different.

What should the actual size of the characters be in order to match up? Or are we just stuck using the few charsets included?

You simply double the size of a sprite to put it in RMXP format. Just use paint to resize the image from 100% to go to 200%.

If you mean the actual size of the sprites, they way they were made, HGSS/DPP sprites were made larger than that of the GBA games for the DS, which is bigger in size.

Maruno
September 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM

I don't know why he would, but...

(Spoiler warning for those who havent seen the 5th gens yet)
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/7a/572.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/503.png

In my opinion, these are two good reasons.

That's really just a personal opinion; many people like them.
I'm not allowed to insert a bit of personality into my posts now? Yes, it's my opinion that the majority of the new Pokémon are sub-par at best, and yes, it has little to do with the question (not "nothing"). Doesn't mean I can't express it in passing (i.e. I didn't use an entire post just to spam the comment, as two of the above did with their responses).

As for IceGod's examples, I like them both (except the fact that the latter belongs to the evolutionary family it does - it needs a different one). "Majority" does not mean "all".

Obviously the discussion is for elsewhere. Please don't fill this thread up with it.

Charsets are divided into 16 equally-sized sections (arranged 4x4) to show each of the cardinal directions and the animations for each. The good thing about RPG Maker XP is that the sections of any given charset can be any size (as long as they're all the same size in that charset).

The section will be bottom aligned and horizontally centred on the square containing the event with that graphic. If you're unsure what that means, try a few out in-game and see how the graphics are placed for charsets of different sizes.

A charset can be as big or as small as is necessary. Don't worry that the ones you have are different sizes. Once you try them out in-game, you'll see what happens.

IceGod64
September 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
"DP Kit"? Like Diamond/Pearl?

Is the interface changed in this 'kit' or is it just a bunch of of sprites? I'm interested, but a thread search as failed me.

Erick
September 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hello, can someone help me with this error, please?
It occurs when I manually modify the encounters.txt file, and then I try to open Editor.exe. Thanks.

Compiler:1067:in `pbCompileEncounters'
Compiler:3926:in `pbCompileAllData'
Message: Undefined encounter type , expected one of the following:
["Land", "Cave", "Water", "RockSmash", "OldRod", "GoodRod", "SuperRod", "HeadbuttLow", "HeadbuttHigh", "LandMorning", "LandDay", "LandNight", "BugContest"]
File PBS/encounters.txt, line 1

abnegation
September 27th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Hello, can someone help me with this error, please?
It occurs when I manually modify the encounters.txt file, and then I try to open Editor.exe. Thanks.

Compiler:1067:in `pbCompileEncounters'
Compiler:3926:in `pbCompileAllData'
Message: Undefined encounter type , expected one of the following:
["Land", "Cave", "Water", "RockSmash", "OldRod", "GoodRod", "SuperRod", "HeadbuttLow", "HeadbuttHigh", "LandMorning", "LandDay", "LandNight", "BugContest"]
File PBS/encounters.txt, line 1

Alright, right off I'm assuming you've forgotten to define where the pokemon are being encountered. Or you have spelled the area encounter type incorrectly. For example, this would be a code which would be correct, though I'm not sure if this will help you or not as you may have tried this already. The bold are the areas you should take a look at.

############
002 # Cave
Cave
ZUBAT,8
GEODUDE,9
ZUBAT,10
GEODUDE,8
ZUBAT,9
GEODUDE,10
ONIX,9
NOSEPASS,6
ONIX,10
NOSEPASS,8
NOSEPASS,10
NOSEPASS,10

In fact, the error says the issue is in line one, so take a look at that line.

Erick
September 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it didn't work.
I wonder if this happens because of editing this on the NotePad?
Anyway, this is what I have, I can't see anything wrong.

############
012 # Route 2
Land
PIDGEY,3
CATERPIE,4
RATTATA,3
SENTRET,4
PIDGEY,4
CATERPIE,4
SPEAROW,3
METAPOD,4
PIDGEY,5
SHINX,5
PIDGEOTTO,7
BUTTERFREE,7
############
014 # Route 3
Land
GEODUDE,4
RATTATA,4
GEODUDE,4
PIDGEY,5
SENTRET,5
RATTATA,4
ZIGZAGOON,5
SHINX,6
SPEAROW,6
GEODUDE,7
BIDOOF,8
HAPPINY,5
############
016 # Stalac Cave
Cave
ZUBAT,8
GEODUDE,9
ZUBAT,10
GEODUDE,8
ZUBAT,9
GEODUDE,10
ONIX,9
NOSEPASS,6
ONIX,10
NOSEPASS,8
NOSEPASS,10
NOSEPASS,10

abnegation
September 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it didn't work.
I wonder if this happens because of editing this on the NotePad?
Anyway, this is what I have, I can't see anything wrong.

############
012 # Route 2
Land
PIDGEY,3
CATERPIE,4
RATTATA,3
SENTRET,4
PIDGEY,4
CATERPIE,4
SPEAROW,3
METAPOD,4
PIDGEY,5
SHINX,5
PIDGEOTTO,7
BUTTERFREE,7
############
014 # Route 3
Land
GEODUDE,4
RATTATA,4
GEODUDE,4
PIDGEY,5
SENTRET,5
RATTATA,4
ZIGZAGOON,5
SHINX,6
SPEAROW,6
GEODUDE,7
BIDOOF,8
HAPPINY,5
############
016 # Stalac Cave
Cave
ZUBAT,8
GEODUDE,9
ZUBAT,10
GEODUDE,8
ZUBAT,9
GEODUDE,10
ONIX,9
NOSEPASS,6
ONIX,10
NOSEPASS,8
NOSEPASS,10
NOSEPASS,10

Try this and see if it works, Notepad shouldn't effect that matter.

############
012 # Route 2
Land
PIDGEY,3
CATERPIE,4
RATTATA,3
SENTRET,4
PIDGEY,4
CATERPIE,4
SPEAROW,3
METAPOD,4
PIDGEY,5
SHINX,5
PIDGEOTTO,7
BUTTERFREE,7
############
014 # Route 3
Land
GEODUDE,4
RATTATA,4
GEODUDE,4
PIDGEY,5
SENTRET,5
RATTATA,4
ZIGZAGOON,5
SHINX,6
SPEAROW,6
GEODUDE,7
BIDOOF,8
HAPPINY,5
############
016 # Stalac Cave
Cave
ZUBAT,8
GEODUDE,9
ZUBAT,10
GEODUDE,8
ZUBAT,9
GEODUDE,10
ONIX,9
NOSEPASS,6
ONIX,10
NOSEPASS,8
NOSEPASS,10
NOSEPASS,10

Erick
September 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Still nothing... )':
Any other tip or suggestion?
Thank you!

OnTheEdge
September 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hi there :)

I've been working with pokemon essentials for quite some time now, I've been able to creat custom pokemon, use the script, creat a storyline and maps, custom music, and so on. I've only had one problem the whole time and it's sord of a newby question to ask but here goes.

Every time I throw a pokeball and catch a pokemon, it doesn't go to my PC or my party. This has been happening in both the test and in-game I'm wondering why this is. I'm thinking it could be that my scripts aren't up to date with the loggs on the main site but I want to be sure. (If so, I only need help with where I put those new scripts). If there's a way please explain hehe :P

Please and thank you ^^

Hi there :)

I've been working with pokemon essentials for quite some time now, I've been able to creat custom pokemon, use the script, creat a storyline and maps, custom music, and so on. I've only had one problem the whole time and it's sord of a newby question to ask but here goes.

Every time I throw a pokeball and catch a pokemon, it doesn't go to my PC or my party. This has been happening in both the test and in-game I'm wondering why this is. I'm thinking it could be that my scripts aren't up to date with the loggs on the main site but I want to be sure. (If so, I only need help with where I put those new scripts). If there's a way please explain hehe :P

Please and thank you ^^

SpawnHyuuga
September 28th, 2010, 04:15 AM

I must agree, this is all according to personal preference. Your best bet, I think - if you're trying to follow a route similar to mine, is to give the player the option to stop collecting badges and Pokemon when they want. It's not as if you HAVE to collect them all. Granted the image of being strapped to an electric chair until you do, sounds quite amusing. :3

Does anyone know if Poccil is still around?

Nickalooose
September 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Still nothing... )':
Any other tip or suggestion?
Thank you!

one thing you can try;
change ''Land'' to ''LandMorning'' ''LandDay'' or ''LandNight'' see if the error appears now... other than the fact your using ''Land'' as the encounter type, i use LandMorning etc. so i would have no idea, everything looks fine... otherwise, check the map id exists, u may have deleted it or something, cant imagine that being the reason tho! as when you create a new map, it would b that maps id! hope this helps.

Certainly not. Such a thing is quite complex.

There are two parts to reading a .txt file and loading its contents into the game: defining the variables used for that information, and actually reading it in. This doesn't include actually using the information anywhere.

The wiki page Adding new encounter methods (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_new_encounter_methods#Defining_a_new_encounter_method) offers an extremely brief glance at what that means, and provides reasons for doing what you do (there's more to do than you think). Basically, you need to define the variables in the appropriate script module, and then edit Compiler to include reading in your new .txt file.

While I usually suggest a "copy 'n' paste" approach to doing anything, here I would strongly recommend you keep away from it unless you really know what you're doing. It involves some very complicated and fiddly code, and it can't really be taught.

You could always skip the Compiler part, and put the information directly into the scripts. The items obtained via the Pickup ability do this, for one. You just need to remember where you keep it all. After all, the PBS files are just convenient storage places for information that can be easily accessed, rather than trawling through the scripts. That's all they're for.

thanks Maruno, i didnt think it would be that easy haha... well i will look into it, but i did think that adding everything to a script would be the easiest way, but wouldnt be, as you said, easily accessed as opposed to using a .txt file... i will see what i can come up with, im not as advanced in scripting as you but i will see. x

Kitty17794
October 1st, 2010, 08:43 AM
Abnegation and Maruno -- thank you for your quick responses! <3 Greatly appreciate the info.

I do have another problem that I'd love some input on. I spent hours yesterday searching Google, here, the Wikia, RPXP forums, and just plain out playing/tinkering with the script...but I can not figure out why I'm having this error with my register and dependency calls. :/ I'm sure I'm overlooking something silly, but I'm fairly stumped.

Pokemon Disneydreams

Message: Script error within event 1, map 41 (Blanche Forest):

Message: Section082:786:in `pbRegisterPartner'undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

pbAddDependency2(003,"Snow White",2)
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::PRINCESS,
"Snow White")

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'

"DP Kit"? Like Diamond/Pearl?

Is the interface changed in this 'kit' or is it just a bunch of of sprites? I'm interested, but a thread search as failed me.

Sorry, kit was totally the wrong word to use. Its all sprites, but there were a bunch of different ones, such as Pokemon, Overworld trainers, all of the animations for the hero and heroine's moves (surf, water, fish, etc.) and such. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a read-me in the file, I'm now realizing as I look through it, so I can't for sure say who made it. :( But I'm fairly certain I found it somewhere on here. If you can't find it though, I could zip it back up and send it to you.

Maruno
October 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Abnegation and Maruno -- thank you for your quick responses! <3 Greatly appreciate the info.

I do have another problem that I'd love some input on. I spent hours yesterday searching Google, here, the Wikia, RPXP forums, and just plain out playing/tinkering with the script...but I can not figure out why I'm having this error with my register and dependency calls. :/ I'm sure I'm overlooking something silly, but I'm fairly stumped.

Pokemon Disneydreams

Message: Script error within event 1, map 41 (Blanche Forest):

Message: Section082:786:in `pbRegisterPartner'undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

pbAddDependency2(003,"Snow White",2)
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::PRINCESS,
"Snow White")

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'

All I can think of there is that you haven't made a trainer class which has the internal name "PRINCESS". Go look in the PBS file trainers.txt for it. Aside from that, try using ExtendText to fit the whole line onto... one line (although I really don't know how that would be a problem).

Parismessios3
October 1st, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hello, can anyone give me of tutorial on how to upgrade Pokemon Essentials to a newer version?

FL
October 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Hello, can anyone give me of tutorial on how to upgrade Pokemon Essentials to a newer version?
Since 2010-04-12 Poccil stopped to put this upgrade type. But if you had an previous Starter Kit, use this guide by Flameguru:
Simple...well, maybe not. Here I go!

First, make a copy of your entire projects folder. Then go into your games Data Folder. Copy over all of the Map Files, MapInfos, and the Tilesets data files.

If you used any custom Tilesets or charsets or even pictures copy them over too, same for audio.

Then go into the merged project and make an event and make it control switches. Then copy all of your switches from your game to the merged project.

It's kind of confusing but it only takes 20 minutes max and it's what i have been doing this whole time
-----
Now reposting my question since I probably got missed:
What's up?
Hey, did anybody figure out how to make the May 7th release less laggy? There're scripts I need but I can't use them on my game because there's more than copy and pasting on that.
I tried to move my project to May 7th but... it's too laggy.
If I use the EditorScripts from May 7th, a lot of trouble happens: the types match-ups mess... Petal Dance is super effective against Charizard(even though being Fire/Flying) and BubbleBeam is TOTALLY ignored(neither uneffective nor normally effective nor super effective... just ignored).
I think it's because the May 7th's compiler, since is different from the Nov I-don't-know-what-day release.

Parismessios3
October 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Then go into the merged project and make an event and make it control switches. Then copy all of your switches from your game to the merged project.

Can you explain this a bit more please?

FL
October 3rd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Can you explain this a bit more please?To enter in Switch Control you need to open a event (create a new), go to Control Switches, right click and choose Multi-Copy in switch 0001 and select the last number (if you have 50 switches select 50), save the event and delete it. Open the merged project and paste all in switch 0001 (again, create a new event to acess switches and delete it in the end).

IceGod64
October 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Okay, so I need some help.

In this map in my game, events 1-6 are blank events with no graphic or anything. The reason for this is that I'm including a photo man like HG/SS had for the fun of it.

Using the pokemon following script made by Help-14, I know I need this line of code to make the events change to the trainers party members(This is the line for party member 1, of course.)
pbMoveRoute(pbGetDependency("Dependent0"),[PBMoveRoute::Graphic,$Trainer.party[0].name.to_s+".png",0,2,0])But what change do I need to make to "pbGetDependency" to have this work correctly?

(Also, for the record I'm making this a global function in the script editor, i.e I have a definition for it in a custom script.)

Cilerba
October 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
How would I change the opacity of the menu, choice boxes, or any other window?

Kita-Angel
October 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
I just downloaded Pokemon Essentials today from the website. I can open it in RPG Maker XP, and when I hit play everything seems fine... until after I press enter when it says to check notes.html for further documentation. It freezes right there and does nothing more.

I am running Windows 7 but I put RPG Maker XP in compatability mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2, as I always do with RMXP.

Any ideas?

Is there an older version of Pokemon Essentials that might work for me?

If you have any thoughts, that would be great! Thanks!

KitsuneKouta
October 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
I just downloaded Pokemon Essentials today from the website. I can open it in RPG Maker XP, and when I hit play everything seems fine... until after I press enter when it says to check notes.html for further documentation. It freezes right there and does nothing more.

I am running Windows 7 but I put RPG Maker XP in compatability mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2, as I always do with RMXP.

Any ideas?

Is there an older version of Pokemon Essentials that might work for me?

If you have any thoughts, that would be great! Thanks!Maybe it's one of kits that doesn't work, or it could have been corrupted when downloading it. You can get the kit I use here (http://www.sendspace.com/file/jopqbe). I think it's from just before the May 7th version, but I don't remember.

majorgames
October 4th, 2010, 02:30 AM
ok the following glitches i need fixed and i dont know how

transform dosent change the user's sprite

fly, dive, shadowforce, ect dosent make the users sprite disapear and reappear

fly, dive, shadowforce, solar beam, ect dosent use 2 animations

roar, growl, howl dosent make the pokemon sound its battle cry

is there anyway to fix these?

Zadow
October 4th, 2010, 04:06 AM
ok the following glitches i need fixed and i dont know how
transform dosent change the user's sprite
fly, dive, shadowforce, ect dosent make the users sprite disapear and reappear
fly, dive, shadowforce, solar beam, ect dosent use 2 animations
roar, growl, howl dosent make the pokemon sound its battle cry
is there anyway to fix these?
I'm pretty sure these are not glitches but simply features never implemented into Pokemon Essentials.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a serious problem with essentials, no error message or anything.
I'm finally testing a Pokemon I inserted into the game so I decided to go test a wild battle using it against a Bulbasaur, obviously, and here I am discovering I cannot throw Pokeballs!
It acts as if I cancel it, no matter what button I press when I go to throw it.

I would really appreciate some help here -.-; (I cannot have my game without being able to catch Pokemon!) and if I need to change versions of essentials please tell me what version, and how I can find it because I can only find a link to the latest one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance and I hope I can get some help. ^^

majorgames
October 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM
sounds like a version issue, tbh i dont have that problem...what version are you using

as for the features not implimented, do you know how to impliment them...it kinda bothers me

IceGod64
October 4th, 2010, 07:06 AM
sounds like a version issue, tbh i dont have that problem...what version are you using

as for the features not implimented, do you know how to impliment them...it kinda bothers me
I would agree. When did you get the version you are using now?

DeathYu
October 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for it. You are Great!!1

Zadow
October 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm not currently sure what version of Essentials I'm using. I've changed it so many times due to bugs I don't remember :S It's probably somewhat recent sort of.
Does anyone have a link to a version of essentials that they'd recommend switching to? Or just the script data file of a working version of essentials?

Also I do not know how to implement those features, it will require scripting knowledge, or at least for most of them I think.

KitsuneKouta
October 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm not currently sure what version of Essentials I'm using. I've changed it so many times due to bugs I don't remember :S It's probably somewhat recent sort of.
Does anyone have a link to a version of essentials that they'd recommend switching to? Or just the script data file of a working version of essentials?

Also I do not know how to implement those features, it will require scripting knowledge, or at least for most of them I think.I put a link to mine for someone else one page back, towards the bottom.

Zadow
October 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I put a link to mine for someone else one page back, towards the bottom.

Thanks very much ^^
I finally ported things over, except my custom menu script :/ hopefully I can find my instructions on implementing it somewhere.
I tested catching a Pokemon, and it works. ^^ (:P caught an Aipom :O) Anyway Thanks again. :D Hopefully I'll be (mostly) bug free for now.

poccil
October 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM
It's that time again. My site is unavailable again and I will need donations totaling at least 30 dollars to restore it again. As a reminder, my site requires 30 dollars every 3 months.

SpawnHyuuga
October 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Well, it's good to see that you alive and well, Poccil. I would donate, but unfortunately I don't have the ability to donate money. Have you perhaps considered a free site, though?

Rafael-animal
October 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hi, I would ask if I can make menu always see, I made a pokemon menu and I would always see.

Sorry for my bad english T_T.

IceGod64
October 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Hi, I would ask if I can make menu always see, I made a pokemon menu and I would always see.

Sorry for my bad english T_T.
Do you mean like a menu that would always appears at on the screen (Like an interface) when the player is in-game?

Rafael-animal
October 7th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Do you mean like a menu that would always appears at on the screen (Like an interface) when the player is in-game?

Yes, that always see, as in HGSS.

zingzags
October 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM
is it me or is piccol site down.

ohh nevermind i seen his post

Lyzo
October 8th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Soooo... I've decided I wanted to start learning Ruby, and what better way than to learn by example? So I started changing the PokeGear code, to make a horizontal menu and change it a bit... But it's not really working the way I want it to work, so I was wondering if someone could help me out :P

Here's my code:
#==============================================================================
# - Scene_Pokegear
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
# Also Modified By OblivionMew
class Scene_Pokegear
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# initialize
def initialize(menu_index = 0)
@index = 0
end
# main
def main

# Main Menu settings you can add or change these
commands=[
_INTL("Map"),
_INTL("Radio"),
_INTL("Phone"),
_INTL("Exit")
]
@sprites={}
@sprites["command_window"] = Window_CommandPokemon.new(commands,160)
@sprites["command_window"].index = @index
@sprites["command_window"].x = (Graphics.width - @sprites["command_window"].width) - 8
@sprites["command_window"].y = 640
@sprites["card"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/MapBackground")
@sprites["button"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons1")
@sprites["frame"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Frame0")
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
Graphics.freeze
pbDisposeSpriteHash(@sprites)
end
# update the scene
def update
pbUpdateSpriteHash(@sprites)
if Input.press?(Input::LEFT)
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/FrameLeft")
if @sprites["command_window"].index == 0
@sprites["command_window"].index = 3
else
@sprites["command_window"].index += 1
end
else
end
if Input.press?(Input::RIGHT)
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/FrameRight")
if @sprites["command_window"].index == 3
@sprites["command_window"].index = 0
else
@sprites["command_window"].index -= 1
end
else
end
case @sprites["command_window"].index
when 0
when 1
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons2")
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/PhoneBackground")
when 2
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons3")
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/RadioBackground")
when 3
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons4")
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/ExitBackground")
end
#update command window and the info if it's active
if @sprites["command_window"].active
update_command
return
end

end
# update the command window
def update_command
if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
pbPlayCancelSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
when 0
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
scene=PokemonRegionMapScene.new
screen=PokemonRegionMap.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen
}
when 1
pbPlayDecisionSE()
$scene = Scene_Jukebox.new
when 2
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
PokemonPhoneScene.new.start
}
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
end

And here's a video showing what happens and I'll tell you what should have happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4f1xRL2thc
So what happens: When I press the right key, the right button in the pokegear gets pressed.
When I press the left key, the left button in the pokegear does not get pressed. <- This is what should be fixed

I can only go to the two outer options in the Pokegear, I can not go to the middle options (Phone and Radio)... <- This is also what should be fixed

So if anyone could help me out that would be great!

me2hack
October 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Soooo... I've decided I wanted to start learning Ruby, and what better way than to learn by example? So I started changing the PokeGear code, to make a horizontal menu and change it a bit... But it's not really working the way I want it to work, so I was wondering if someone could help me out :P

Here's my code:
# - Scene_Pokegear
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
class Scene_Pokegear
# initialize
@index = 0
end
# main
def main

commands=[
_INTL("Map"),
_INTL("Radio"),
_INTL("Phone"),
_INTL("Exit")
]
@sprites={}
@sprites["command_window"].index = @index
@sprites["command_window"].x = (Graphics.width - @sprites["command_window"].width) - 8
@sprites["button"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
@sprites["frame"] = IconSprite.new(0,0)
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
Graphics.freeze
end
# update the scene
def update
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/FrameLeft")
if @sprites["command_window"].index == 0
@sprites["command_window"].index = 3
else
@sprites["command_window"].index += 1
end
else
end
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/FrameRight")
if @sprites["command_window"].index == 3
@sprites["command_window"].index = 0
else
@sprites["command_window"].index -= 1
end
else
end
when 0
when 1
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons2")
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/PhoneBackground")
when 2
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons3")
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/RadioBackground")
when 3
@sprites["button"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/Buttons4")
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/ExitBackground")
end
update_command
return
end

end
def update_command
pbPlayCancelSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end
when 0
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
screen.pbStartScreen
}
when 1
pbPlayDecisionSE()
when 2
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
}
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
end

And here's a video showing what happens and I'll tell you what should have happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4f1xRL2thc
So what happens: When I press the right key, the right button in the pokegear gets pressed.
When I press the left key, the left button in the pokegear does not get pressed. <- This is what should be fixed

I can only go to the two outer options in the Pokegear, I can not go to the middle options (Phone and Radio)... <- This is also what should be fixed

So if anyone could help me out that would be great!
Well.. I'm a newbie @ RGSS too. But I think it will work like this
Change the names in red, to the name of the frame.
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-LEFT-PRESSED")
else
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-LEFT-UNPRESSED")
end

@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-RIGHT-PRESSED")
else
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-RIGHT-UNPRESSED")
end

Ben je nederlands? =O

Lyzo
October 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Well.. I'm a newbie @ RGSS too. But I think it will work like this
Change the names in red, to the name of the frame.
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-LEFT-PRESSED")
else
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-LEFT-UNPRESSED")
end

@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-RIGHT-PRESSED")
else
@sprites["frame"].setBitmap("Graphics/PokeGear/BUTTON-RIGHT-UNPRESSED")
end

Ben je nederlands? =O

My code is already like that:
- "frame0" = no buttons pressed
- "frameleft" = left button pressed
- "frameright" = right button pressed

But thanks for trying to help though.

Ja ik ben Nederlands :P

Zadow
October 9th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I'm back and with a question related to the Pokegear.
I'd appreciate some help ^^ If someone can.
I wanted to know if it's possible to get the Pokegear to display the current time (I'd asume based off the computer clock.)
If so, how can I do it? (so far I've not modified the code of the Pokegear at all yet. I mostly just want to reposition some things which I believe I can do so myself.)
But I really wanted to add the time, so if someone could help me that would be great. ^^

This is an image of the current Pokegear display I want to add the time in the top right same box the word Pokegear is written in on the right.
If it can't be done, or can't be done simply, then just tell me. ^^
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/222/capture051.png

Thanks for reading.

me2hack
October 9th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I'm back and with a question related to the Pokegear.
I'd appreciate some help ^^ If someone can.
I wanted to know if it's possible to get the Pokegear to display the current time (I'd asume based off the computer clock.)
If so, how can I do it? (so far I've not modified the code of the Pokegear at all yet. I mostly just want to reposition some things which I believe I can do so myself.)
But I really wanted to add the time, so if someone could help me that would be great. ^^

This is an image of the current Pokegear display I want to add the time in the top right same box the word Pokegear is written in on the right.
If it can't be done, or can't be done simply, then just tell me. ^^
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/222/capture051.png

Thanks for reading.
This worked for me, so I think it'll work for you too.
Make sure this is in def main:
@sprites["info"] = Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.new("")
@sprites["info"].height = 92 #Graphics.height / 4 + 16
@sprites["info"].width = 352 #Graphics.width / 2
@sprites["info"].x = 64
@sprites["info"].y = 52
@sprites["info"].z = 99999
@sprites["info"].letterbyletter=false
Then in def update, add this right under it:
@CurrentTime = Time.now.to_s# + Time.now.minute.to_s
#@sprites["info"].setTextToFit(_INTL(@CurrentTime))
@sprites["info"].text=(@CurrentTime)

Zadow
October 9th, 2010, 04:44 AM
This worked for me, so I think it'll work for you too.
Make sure this is in def main:
@sprites["info"].height = 92 #Graphics.height / 4 + 16
@sprites["info"].width = 352 #Graphics.width / 2
@sprites["info"].x = 64
@sprites["info"].y = 52
Then in def update, add this right under it:
@CurrentTime = Time.now.to_s# + Time.now.minute.to_s
#@sprites["info"].setTextToFit(_INTL(@CurrentTime))
@sprites["info"].text=(@CurrentTime)

Okay so I (think) inserted it correctly but i now it's done this...
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6175/capture052.png
almost as if it's added an empty text box below the current text box?
Any ideas?

I'm sorry for being so hopeless -.-;
But I've attempted to follow your instructions but I'm not really sure where to put the code, I understand where main is, it's the first section in the Pokegear script, and I've put it in there, and I've tried numerous places for the second bit of code but I get all kinds of different errors, could I trouble you to insert it to a blank Pokegear script and send it to me? *offers cookie*
Thank you for attempting to help me.
Again I'm so sorry >.<

# - Scene_Pokegear
# Modified By Harshboy
# Modified by Peter O.
class Scene_Pokegear
# initialize
@menu_index = menu_index
end
# main
def main

commands=[
_INTL("Map"),
_INTL("Radio"),
_INTL("Phone"),
_INTL("Exit")
]
@sprites={}
@sprites["command_window"].index = @menu_index
@sprites["card"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/Pokegearback")
@sprites["map_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,57)
@sprites["map_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/mapicon")
@sprites["button_up"] = IconSprite.new(320,80)
@sprites["button_up"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonunp")
@sprites["button_down"] = IconSprite.new(320,165)
@sprites["button_down"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonunp")
@sprites["arr_icon"]=AnimatedSprite.create("Graphics/Pictures/selarr",8,1)
@sprites["arr_icon"].x = 60
@sprites["arr_icon"].y = 57
@sprites["arr_icon"].z=99999
@sprites["arr_icon"].start
@sprites["radio_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,109)
@sprites["radio_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/radicon")
@sprites["phone_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,161)
@sprites["phone_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/phonicon")
@sprites["exit_icon"] = IconSprite.new(0,265)
@sprites["exit_icon"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/exicon")
@sprites["trainer"] = IconSprite.new(360,80)
@sprites["trainer"].setBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Characters/trainer%03d",$Trainer.trainertype))
@sprites["trainer"].z = 99999
@sprites["info"].height = Graphics.height / 4 + 16
@sprites["info"].width = Graphics.width / 2 + 74
@sprites["info"].x = 160
@sprites["info"].y = Graphics.height - @sprites["info"].height
Graphics.transition
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
update
if $scene != self
break
end
end
Graphics.freeze
end
# update the scene
def update
if Input.press?(Input::UP)
@sprites["button_up"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonp")
else
@sprites["button_up"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonunp")
end
if Input.press?(Input::DOWN)
@sprites["button_down"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonp")
else
@sprites["button_down"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/buttonunp")
end
when 0
@sprites["map_icon"].x = 32
@sprites["phone_icon"].x = 0
@sprites["radio_icon"].x = 0
@sprites["exit_icon"].x = 0
@sprites["arr_icon"].y=57
when 1
@sprites["map_icon"].x = 0
@sprites["radio_icon"].x = 32
@sprites["arr_icon"].y=109
when 2
@sprites["phone_icon"].x = 32
@sprites["arr_icon"].y=161
when 3
@sprites["exit_icon"].x = 32
@sprites["arr_icon"].y=265

end
update_command
update_info
return
end

end
def update_command
pbPlayCancelSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
return
end
when 0
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
screen.pbStartScreen
}
when 1
pbPlayDecisionSE()
when 2
pbPlayDecisionSE()
pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
}
when 3
pbPlayDecisionSE()
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
return
end
end
def update_info
when 0
@sprites["info"].setTextToFit(_INTL("A Map\r\nShows visited Places."))
when 1
@sprites["info"].setTextToFit(_INTL("A Radio\r\nUsed to listen to Music."))
when 2
@sprites["info"].setTextToFit(_INTL("A Phone\r\nUsed to call People."))
when 3
@sprites["info"].setTextToFit(_INTL("Closes the PokeGear and\r\nreturns to the game."))
end
pbBottomRight(@sprites["info"])
end
end

nmorr
October 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Can someone plz upload the May 7 version of pokemon essentials? Poccil's site is down again. (I would give money if I could but...)

Maruno
October 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'll go one better than that. Behold the 5th September 2010 version of Pokémon Essentials (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EAN6L8BQ).

nmorr
October 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM
OMG, September??? Okage de Maruno-kun! (thanx Maruno!)

IceGod64
October 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I can't use it. It crashes on XP =/

Makes me wish I still had my computer with Windows 7. I can't install it on this computer.

nmorr
October 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Makes me wish I still had my computer with Windows 7. I can't install it on this computer.

I use XP and it's fine. o.0

-Nmorr

FL
October 10th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Makes me wish I still had my computer with Windows 7. I can't install it on this computer.Right click in the exe and choose other Windows compatibility

Anyone know if the 5 Setember release has no the 7 May lag? Like the November release.

IceGod64
October 10th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Right click in the exe and choose other Windows compatibility

I think you got it backwards. I said this WORKS on Windows 7. It DOESNT on XP.

If I had a choice in my current situation, I'd definitely be using 7, since Windows XP sucks anyway. When talking to friends on Skype, I find I'm really missing the ability to control program volume levels individually, the search function was faster(Even though my HD was much bigger), Windows 7's built in ability to route audio through different output sources was just plain useful, and most of all, the taskbar dock. Unfortunately, Dell is such an awesome company that they didn't even make Vista/7 drivers for my current computer...

Sorry about that off topic post, I needed to ramble a bit.

Regardless, I guess I'm forced to stick to may 7th, which suits me fine as I've changed so many random things in certain scripts(Especially with adapting the battle system to 512x384) that it's going to be FAR too annoying to fix everything and recomment all my findings. What's new in the September 5th version?

Maruno
October 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM
What's new in the September 5th version?
No idea. I just downloaded it for the sake of having the latest version (which I use to help me update the wiki). As far as I recall, poccil stopped listing the code changes between versions a while back, which is unhelpful.

For people who don't want to venture into the unknown, I've also re-uploaded the 7th May 2010 version of Pokémon Essentials (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JIHW88P6).

zingzags
October 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
No idea. I just downloaded it for the sake of having the latest version (which I use to help me update the wiki). As far as I recall, poccil stopped listing the code changes between versions a while back, which is unhelpful.

For people who don't want to venture into the unknown, I've also re-uploaded the 7th May 2010 version of Pokémon Essentials (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JIHW88P6).
Piccol should make a change log or something, or use assembla.com its great to keep everything organized. yo know what i am going to add each essential update on it to make people lives easier. Ill do it later when i finish my 5 page essay.

Can someone get me the september 5th version in the meantime?

Soul.//Silver
October 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
x_x, Maruno just posted the September 5th version on the previous page (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6212493&postcount=7970)

zingzags
October 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
x_x, Maruno just posted the September 5th version on the previous page (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6212493&postcount=7970)

i rarely go through the thread but thanks :D

all of this was changed : from revison two to three

https://www.assembla.com/code/PokeCommunity/subversion/changesets/3

labkey was added again, master ball needs to be fixed now let me list more:

Masterball (glitched) fix in pbs/item.txt
Lab Key (fixed)
PBS/littlecuptr.txt (edited)

Edited:
Data/attacksRS.dat (Quick diff)
Data/Constants.rxdata (Quick diff)
Data/dexdata.dat (Quick diff)
Data/EditorScripts.rxdata (Quick diff)
Data/items.dat (Quick diff)
Data/messages.dat (Quick diff)
Data/moves.dat (Quick diff)
Data/PkmnAnimations.rxdata (Quick diff)
Data/Scripts.rxdata (Quick diff)
Data/trainerlists.dat (Quick diff)
notes.html (Quick diff)
PBS/abilities.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/bttrainers.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/fancycupsingletr.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/items.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/littlecuptr.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/moves.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/pikacuptr.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/pokecuptr.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/pokemon.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/shadowmoves.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/trainerlists.txt (Quick diff)
PBS/fancycupsingletr.txt Download diff
The file was changed - ok, show the diff
PBS/items.txt Download diff
PBS/littlecuptr.txt Download diff
PBS/moves.txt Download diff
PBS/pikacuptr.txt Download diff
PBS/pokecuptr.txt Download diff
PBS/pokemon.txt Download diff
PBS/shadowmoves.txt Download diff
PBS/trainerlists.txt Download diff

they where all changed give me a sec to make the changes viewable.

Okay I made it public so everyone can view, only members, and I can customize the space.

Soul.//Silver
October 12th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Is there any way at all to change the X, Y coordinates of the enemy HP, name, level and gender without directly affecting the player HP, name level and gender? What I mean is when you change the X, Y coordinates for the enemy and player HP, name, etc it affects both of them (aka, you can't move them separately). Very annoying when adding new enemy/player boxes where once you move the HP of the enemy or player, you usually have to edit the graphic of the enemy/player box to fit around the HP, name, etc that was also moved. (x_x, picture included below to sort of show you what I mean. The Player box is in the perfect place, along with HP, name, gender, Lv and HP/HP)
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2964/battleproblemexample.png

Edit: In essence, what I want to do is move the enemy info to the left without the player info moving as well. (I'm so bad at trying to explain some things x_x)

zingzags
October 13th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Search for class PokeBattle_Scene
now time for me to go to school >.>

Soul.//Silver
October 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM
# Position of HP gauge
HPGAUGE_X=96
HPGAUGE_Y=40
This affects both enemy and player, I only want to move enemy x_x

zingzags
October 13th, 2010, 02:09 AM
# Position of HP gauge
HPGAUGE_X=96
HPGAUGE_Y=40
This affects both enemy and player, I only want to move enemy x_x
I dont know then i guess you might want to change the graphics.

help-14
October 13th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Is there any way at all to change the X, Y coordinates of the enemy HP, name, level and gender without directly affecting the player HP, name level and gender? What I mean is when you change the X, Y coordinates for the enemy and player HP, name, etc it affects both of them (aka, you can't move them separately). Very annoying when adding new enemy/player boxes where once you move the HP of the enemy or player, you usually have to edit the graphic of the enemy/player box to fit around the HP, name, etc that was also moved. (x_x, picture included below to sort of show you what I mean. The Player box is in the perfect place, along with HP, name, gender, Lv and HP/HP)

Edit: In essence, what I want to do is move the enemy info to the left without the player info moving as well. (I'm so bad at trying to explain some things x_x)

Around line 500 in PokeBattle_ActualScene:
case @battler.index
when 0
@databox=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/singlePlayerBox.png")
@spriteX=306#254
@spriteY=148+yoffset+32
@showhp=true
@showexp=true
@statusCX=40
@statusY=44
when 1
@databox=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/singleEnemyBox.png")
@spriteX=0
@spriteY=32+yoffset
end

Lyzo
October 13th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Okay, a simple receive item command isn't working... I seriously don't get what I'm doing wrong xD

Kernel.pbReceiveItem
(::PBItems::TINYMUSHROOM)

ERROR:
Message: Script error within event 10, map 89 (Mapleleaf Town):
Exception: ArgumentError
Message: (eval):1:in `pbReceiveItem'wrong number of arguments(0 for 1)
***Full script:
Kernel.pbReceiveItem

Something about the wrong number of arguments, am I supposed to add something?

Crazyninjaguy
October 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Run the extendtext program found in the kit, and make sure that all the text in the script command is on one line. That should work for you :)

KitsuneKouta
October 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Okay, a simple receive item command isn't working... I seriously don't get what I'm doing wrong xD

Something about the wrong number of arguments, am I supposed to add something?It's because of that parenthesis. It's very picky, as it must always be on the first line, and the contents inside of it must fit on one line. So instead of:

Kernel.pbReceiveItem

You should use:

Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
::PBItems::TINYMUSHROOM)

Using extendtext like crazyninjaguy recommended works, since it allows you to fit a lot on just one line. But if you don't feel like the extra 2 or 3 clicks, just push the contents down on the next line. Also, you got the "wrong number of arguments" error because pbReceiveItem must have parameters, and it thinks the parenthetical statement is separate because you put it on a different line.

Lyzo
October 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hm... the extendtext program didn't work out for me... But the parenthesis thing did, so thanks :D

zingzags
October 13th, 2010, 12:19 PM
lottery ticket event is glitched:

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `pbLottery' for #<Interpreter:0x4407248>
***Full script:
pbLottery(pbGet(1),2,3,4)

any fixes?

Cilerba
October 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Has anybody else used extendtext.exe and it doesn't work?
I've used it, but it doesn't do anything to RMXP. Is it maybe just my computer? Not quite sure what's going on here.

koby1
October 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've used it, but it doesn't do anything to RMXP. Is it maybe just my computer? Not quite sure what's going on here.
You must first run the dailog box for the script ... like when you type in a script Then it will work.

Lyzo
October 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Nope, two posts up I mentioned that mine doesn't work either... Unless you didn't mean me with "anyone else" :P

You must first run the dailog box for the script ... like when you type in a script Then it will work.

I tried that, didn't work either...

Cilerba
October 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
From what I've been told, it only works with Windows Vista, or lower. (Maybe even only XP. Not sure)

zingzags
October 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM
How do u use it? like have the game itself open and it resizes the text?

Maruno
October 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM

If you want to move it all equally, just change the value of @spritebaseX, and then reposition the data boxes.

To move individual parts of the data box, make an "if (@battler.index&1)==0...else" clause, where the "if" part is for the player's version of the data box, and the "else" part is for enemies. For example:

if (@battler.index&1)==0
textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+170,@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
else
textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+150,@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
end
This example will position the "Lv42" text differently depending on which data box it's in.

I know there are better ways to do this (e.g. defining an offset array at the start with the "if...else", then referring the array in later code), but they're a bit more complicated.

How do u use it? like have the game itself open and it resizes the text?
When you have the game open in RPG Maker XP (the editor, where you draw the maps and press F11 for scripts, etc.), open an event and then look at a message/script. It will appear in a small window. While this window is open, run extendtext.exe (it'll end immediately - it doesn't need to stay running). When you look back, the small window will be wider.

For the record, it works just fine in Windows 7 x64.

koby1
October 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I have win 7 works perfect. Maybe you should download the sep 15(Ithink) version can copy + replace the extended text. :)

Cilerba
October 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm using Windows 7 x64 and it doesn't work at all. I did exactly what you said, yet it doesn't work.

Soul.//Silver
October 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM
If you want to move it all equally, just change the value of @spritebaseX, and then reposition the data boxes.

To move individual parts of the data box, make an "if (@battler.index&1)==0...else" clause, where the "if" part is for the player's version of the data box, and the "else" part is for enemies. For example:

if (@battler.index&1)==0
textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+170,@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
else
textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+150,@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
end
This example will position the "Lv42" text differently depending on which data box it's in.

I know there are better ways to do this (e.g. defining an offset array at the start with the "if...else", then referring the array in later code), but they're a bit more complicated.

When you have the game open in RPG Maker XP (the editor, where you draw the maps and press F11 for scripts, etc.), open an event and then look at a message/script. It will appear in a small window. While this window is open, run extendtext.exe (it'll end immediately - it doesn't need to stay running). When you look back, the small window will be wider.

For the record, it works just fine in Windows 7 x64.

Perfect, thanks. But when I try it with HPGAUGE_X / HPGAUGE_Y it won't work. It just throws an error in my face (tried with an "end" and without). I'm guessing there must be a different way to do it, or I need to edit other parts as well...

IceGod64
October 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
So, I need a little assistance, here.

Pokemon essentials Entry screen seems extremely whiny about the number of rows and columns you have for letters. If I change the number of rows at all, or try to add letters, this happens:
Message: Section059:1311:in `text_size'cannot convert nil into String
***Full script:
pbTrainerName2

SpriteWindow:1311:in `pbDrawTextPositions'
SpriteWindow:1310:in `each'
SpriteWindow:1310:in `pbDrawTextPositions'
PokemonNamingScreen:1312:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonNamingScreen:1301:in `each'
PokemonNamingScreen:1301:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonNamingScreen:1591:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonNamingScreen:1604:in `pbEnterText'
PokemonNamingScreen:1601:in `pbFadeOutIn'

Does this happen for everyone else? The reason I'm trying is because I'm implementing D/P/PTs naming screen, and I can't do it with this incredibly random bug.

PS: Also, does anyone know where the code making terrain tag 6 show a reflection is stored?

SpawnHyuuga
October 15th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Has anyone tried running the 'extendtext.exe' in compatibility for Windows XP - if you run Vista or 7?

zingzags
October 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
How do I display the % of the experience bar. For example the pokemon has 500 exp / 1000
it would display 50%, and it wont display decimals.

Maruno
October 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Perfect, thanks. But when I try it with HPGAUGE_X / HPGAUGE_Y it won't work. It just throws an error in my face (tried with an "end" and without). I'm guessing there must be a different way to do it, or I need to edit other parts as well...
Add in the following just after those lines:

hpGaugeX=PokeBattle_Scene::HPGAUGE_X
hpGaugeY=PokeBattle_Scene::HPGAUGE_Y
if (@battler.index&1)==0
hpGaugeX+=20
hpGaugeY+=5
end
The default numbers are where the enemy HP bars are placed. The additions are for the player's Pokémon.

How do I display the % of the experience bar. For example the pokemon has 500 exp / 1000
it would display 50%, and it wont display decimals.
The code you need is:
startexp=PBExperience.pbGetStartExperience(@battler.pokemon.level,growthrate)
endexp=PBExperience.pbGetStartExperience(@battler.pokemon.level+1,growthrate)
exppercentage=(@battler.pokemon.exp-startexp)/(endexp-startexp)).floorThis gives the percentage of the current level's Exp already gained, rounded down.

After that, simply display it as text followed by the percentage symbol.

Has anyone tried running the 'extendtext.exe' in compatibility for Windows XP - if you run Vista or 7?
It works as is for me - I don't need to mess around with compatibility or anything. I also tried the 5th September version (the one I uploaded), and that also works perfectly as is.

PS: Also, does anyone know where the code making terrain tag 6 show a reflection is stored?
Spriteset_Map, top of.

zingzags
October 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
How do i update the map, When i get a picture so I dont have to go out the map so the picture can update.

EX I want the picture to update in one map itself, and thanks Maruno ill try it now.
nevermind i fixed it :D

How do I display text like this?

textpos.push([_INTL("{1}%",@battler.pokemon.refreshExpLevel.exppercentage),@spritebaseX+100,@spritebaseY+50,true,base,shadow])

(those are test positions)

Also I am trying to make my game 256x192, but every time I do it the screen size if 240x160 with a border filling the rest.

FL
October 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'll go one better than that. Behold the 5th September 2010 version of Pokémon Essentials.You or Poccil fix when you go to a new map that has the outdoor feature enabled?

zingzags
October 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Where exactly does the Enemy picture is disposed, I made the enemy picture move to the right a little but when the enemy pokemon is out the enemy disappears.

pokehackster
October 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
is the site for the starter kit down o.o ive tried goin there 3 times today and it wont load at all

zingzags
October 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM
yes it is down, if you need the kit Maruno uploaded both may 7th, and September 5th.

h20ray
October 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM
why the site can be down? is it has been reported?

Umbreon
October 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I have no idea, I'm trying to figure that out too...

Crazyninjaguy
October 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM
It's probably because he's run out of money.
Last time that was the reason, me and a few other people donated to help get his site back up for everyone, but i can't help this time as i'm short myself.

If you really value this kit and want to continue seeing updates, i'd suggest donating to poccil: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=10869447

If about 10 people donate $3 then the site will be able to be up again as i think his hosting is $30 every 3 months.

Rai Rai
October 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I wish people who actually go back a page to read, poccil said very clearly he's run out on the payments for the site so, if people do what cng said, then everyone would get the kit again.

Umbreon
October 18th, 2010, 08:14 AM
It's that time again. My site is unavailable again and I will need donations totaling at least 30 dollars to restore it again. As a reminder, my site requires 30 dollars every 3 months.

Yup, you two were right, he is out of money.

zingzags
October 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Why doesn't he change for free hosting?

Double battles are not working in my version of essentials, may 7th and +. For example non wild double battles

Umbreon
October 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Download a previous version and replace the scripts (replace the newer script with an older one.)