PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39

Martinixon
December 21st, 2010, 07:48 AM
Check the Essentials wikia
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki

Sichlor
December 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM
@ Martinixon
If you were talking to me, I already searched through there at first and I'm certain this problem is not described there... i even googled for a good half hour without results...

Bigpokemonfan0
December 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Can anyone show me a 'day and night' tutorial here? I terrible at it.

KatsuLynx
December 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hey guys,
I've a problem with the origin form of Giratina
I added it to the script "PokemonUtilies" into "pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies" and "pbPokemonIconFile" as getting told in the essential wiki. But when I now open the game, take Giratina and give it the Griseousorb, the game crashes
The error is the following:

Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `pbPokemonIconFile' for #<PokemonIconSprite:0xbaaf760>
PokemonSprite:86:in `pokemon='
PokemonSprite:73:in `initialize'
PokemonScreen:322:in `new'
PokemonScreen:322:in `initialize'
PokemonScreen:572:in `new'
PokemonScreen:572:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonScreen:570:in `each'
PokemonScreen:570:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonScreen:1179:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:155:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

Cavou
December 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Is there any way someone could post the kit.Because it sounds like a really great starter kit.

thepsynergist
December 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Check the Essentials wikia
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki

To the poster above. Go here. Download is there.

Cavou
December 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thx just I must've not of looked enough.

Peeky Chew
December 22nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
In my game I've been testing it through rmxp all of the time. For the first time in a couple of months I just loaded it through the .exe instead of rmxp. The title screen music plays, but the entire screen is black and you can't do anything. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me, and before the end of Christmas eve.

me2hack
December 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
In my game I've been testing it through rmxp all of the time. For the first time in a couple of months I just loaded it through the .exe instead of rmxp. The title screen music plays, but the entire screen is black and you can't do anything. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me, and before the end of Christmas eve.
Did you make an edit to the title screen through a script?

Peeky Chew
December 23rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Did you make an edit to the title screen through a script?
I haven't. Could you send me the script it's in just incase it fixes it?

me2hack
December 23rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
I haven't. Could you send me the script it's in just incase it fixes it?
I put 3 different load screens into a .rar file. Just download it from the attachments.
Just put them into the PokemonLoad script. If it still doesn't work, maybe I can help you through MSN or something.

Peeky Chew
December 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I put 3 different load screens into a .rar file. Just download it from the attachments.
Just put them into the PokemonLoad script. If it still doesn't work, maybe I can help you through MSN or something.
None of those worked :(
Add me on msn: [email protected]

me2hack
December 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
None of those worked :(
Add me on msn: [email protected]
Sended invite. It's [email protected]

thepsynergist
December 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hey guys,
I've a problem with the origin form of Giratina
I added it to the script "PokemonUtilies" into "pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies" and "pbPokemonIconFile" as getting told in the essential wiki. But when I now open the game, take Giratina and give it the Griseousorb, the game crashes
The error is the following:

Message: undefined method `pbPokemonIconFile' for #<PokemonIconSprite:0xbaaf760>
PokemonSprite:86:in `pokemon='
PokemonSprite:73:in `initialize'
PokemonScreen:322:in `new'
PokemonScreen:322:in `initialize'
PokemonScreen:572:in `new'
PokemonScreen:572:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonScreen:570:in `each'
PokemonScreen:570:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonScreen:1179:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:155:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

You need a icon for the Origin Giratina forme. Or else it will give you that error.

ChaosLord
December 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Is there a new version of Pokemon Essentials?(Not the September 5 one) because whenever I try to leave a map it gives the update to a new Pokemon Essentials error.Also what is the limit of maps you can connect in the map editor?

KatsuLynx
December 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
You need a icon for the Origin Giratina forme. Or else it will give you that error.

There is an Icon of the origin giratina form in the folder graphics\icons\ named "icon487_alt.png"
if I delete the script for the icon, the error for the spirte occures when i open the detal-window of giratina, i think it's nearly the same error
my giratina origin form is in graphics\battlers\, named "487_alt","487b_alt", "487s_alt" and "487sb_alt", all are .png

Bigpokemonfan0
December 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone!

I've got a problem with this:

PokemonEditor:32:in `get'
PokemonEditor:71:in `pbGetSpeciesConst'
PokemonEditor:700:in `pbSavePokemonData'
PokemonEditor:667:in `each'
PokemonEditor:667:in `pbSavePokemonData'
PokemonSpritePos:68:in `pbSaveMetrics'
PokemonSpritePos:134:in `pbClose'
PokemonSpritePos:308:in `pbStart'
EditorMain:236:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:234:in `pbFadeOutIn'

I hope this is easier than Day and Night support? Whch is for me.

NeoXodus
December 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hello,
the main-page is offline.
Can somebody up the Starter-Kit.
Thanks.

BlackArceus
December 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
The RPG Maker had a option to put the steps number in one variable.

That's right, but it does no longer work with pokemon essentials
In the meantime, I solved the problem about counting steps myself.
For getting the amount of steps into the variable 150:

Search in the script for "increase_steps" everywhere and put the sentence " $game_variables[150]+=1" in the next line everytime (around 12 times). Then it should work properly.

KatsuLynx
December 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hello,
the main-page is offline.
Can somebody up the Starter-Kit.
Thanks.
Go to google and type in "pokemon essential wiki", then go to the essential wiki and download the Starter.Kit, should not be that difficult. I would post you a link to the wiki, but I am not able to do so..

BlackArceus
December 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hello everybody!
Got another problem. I would like to create pokemon-specific egg-sprites. I already found the right place in the script where everything about the egg-sprite is handled (PokemonUtilities, Line 1492 onwards) but as I'm still pretty bad in working with ruby I would be really thankful if anybody could give me an example how to modify the script that an egg of a specific pokemon has its own egg-sprite.
I already tried with this code, but it did'nt work:

if pokemon.egg? && isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:AZURILL)
babyspecies=pbGetBabySpecies(babyspecies)
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg2"))
elsif pokemon.egg?
return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg"))

Thanks to everyone trying to help me!

KitsuneKouta
December 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hello everybody!
Got another problem. I would like to create pokemon-specific egg-sprites. Thanks to everyone trying to help me!A script to do that was posted in the resource section: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238503

BlackArceus
December 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM
@KitsuneKouta (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=199797)
Thanks a lot! Just what I was looking for!

Bigpokemonfan0
December 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Hey everyone!

I've got something down. It's about my last reply.

Now I need help with this error:
Exception: Errno::ENOENT
PokemonSystem:21:in `load_data'
PokemonSystem:21:in `pbLoadRxData'
Scene_Map:192:in `autofade'
Scene_Map:210:in `transfer_player'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:63:in `main'
Scene_Map:60:in `loop'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'

me2hack
December 27th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hey everyone!

I've got something down. It's about my last reply.

Now I need help with this error:
Exception: Errno::ENOENT
PokemonSystem:21:in `load_data'
PokemonSystem:21:in `pbLoadRxData'
Scene_Map:192:in `autofade'
Scene_Map:210:in `transfer_player'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'
Check your connections.txt It's a problem caused due to a map being missing or deleted, but it's still linked to another map.

Nemorus
December 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I have already been searching for solutions for my problem, but i sill don't know the answer.
First, i had an error message which popped up when i entered a linked map. I read this thread fixed it by deleting the connection in the connections.txt file. However, now there is the following problem:
(http without spaces)
h t t p://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/Nemorus/connection1.png

As you may know, this is the map from the essentials called area1 and is connected to area2. I didn't change anything on this map. So if i step on the area2 map, this is gonna happen:

h t t p://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/Nemorus/connection2.png

I am on the other map, but it's all black... i can move on it and do everything, but i can't see it. After a battle the map appears, but then area1 is gone.

Can someone help me?

Nickalooose
December 29th, 2010, 08:15 AM
How I can make the centrain pokémon doesn't pop out from ball, but it goes from side?

Like in HG/SS and pikachu in yellow.

wanderring if anyone came up with a solution to this... ive checked posts after this one, but its a bit to time comsuming... if anybody can help, that would be great!

Maruno
December 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
There is an Icon of the origin giratina form in the folder graphics\icons\ named "icon487_alt.png"
if I delete the script for the icon, the error for the spirte occures when i open the detal-window of giratina, i think it's nearly the same error
my giratina origin form is in graphics\battlers\, named "487_alt","487b_alt", "487s_alt" and "487sb_alt", all are .png
If you're using one of the later versions of Essentials, there is already code for alternate forms. The wiki page on alternate forms only applies to older versions of Essentials. Quick check: if you have the script section PokemonMultipleForms, then you don't need to fiddle with the code. I strongly suspect you have a later version of Essentials, because you have the script section PokemonSprite.

What you need to do is get rid of any script modifications, and rename all your Giratina Origin icons and sprites to have "_1" at the end, rather than "_alt". That should be all you need to do.

FL
January 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have already been searching for solutions for my problem, but i sill don't know the answer.
First, i had an error message which popped up when i entered a linked map. I read this thread fixed it by deleting the connection in the connections.txt file. However, now there is the following problem:
(http without spaces)
h t t p://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/Nemorus/connection1.png

As you may know, this is the map from the essentials called area1 and is connected to area2. I didn't change anything on this map. So if i step on the area2 map, this is gonna happen:

h t t p://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/Nemorus/connection2.png

I am on the other map, but it's all black... i can move on it and do everything, but i can't see it. After a battle the map appears, but then area1 is gone.

Can someone help me?If you are using a version made after 4/3/2010, you find this error. The better fix is to use a 4/3/2010 edition.
See http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Connecting_maps for more info about connected maps.

Nemorus
January 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
If you are using a version made after 4/3/2010, you find this error. The better fix is to use a 4/3/2010 edition.
See h t t p://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Connecting_maps for more info about connected maps.Thanks for the advise! I downloaded all versions of the essentials and tested them. The 3rd april 2010 version was a bit strange with audio, so i took the latest version from the wiki (from 5th september 2010). Now the connections work.

BadSamaritan
January 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry for the mention of such a small problem, but the rpg maker I downloaded immediately tells me my 30 day trial is over before I can do anything. Is there any quick fix to this(other than illegally downloading the full version of course).

KitsuneKouta
January 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry for the mention of such a small problem, but the rpg maker I downloaded immediately tells me my 30 day trial is over before I can do anything. Is there any quick fix to this(other than illegally downloading the full version of course).That's not really an Essentials question, but I'll answer anyways. If you haven't already purchased the full version ($50 i think?), then you'll need to do so. If you did, then see if you kept the key they sent you and try to reactivate it. If that doesn't work (or you didn't keep it), then email them about the problem and they'll probably help you out. They let me transfer mine to a new computer without paying for a new one under the promise of removing it off the old one, so they're pretty flexible about these kinds of things. It would probably help to include a receipt with the email too.

BadSamaritan
January 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM
That's not really an Essentials question, but I'll answer anyways. If you haven't already purchased the full version ($50 i think?), then you'll need to do so. If you did, then see if you kept the key they sent you and try to reactivate it. If that doesn't work (or you didn't keep it), then email them about the problem and they'll probably help you out. They let me transfer mine to a new computer without paying for a new one under the promise of removing it off the old one, so they're pretty flexible about these kinds of things. It would probably help to include a receipt with the email too.

Yeah, I know it wasn't an essentials question, but when I had rpg maker xp before people answered my question about it in this thread, so I figured it was the best place for it.

Thanks for the help, although I was unaware I needed the full version to run essentials.

KitsuneKouta
January 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I know it wasn't an essentials question, but when I had rpg maker xp before people answered my question about it in this thread, so I figured it was the best place for it.

Thanks for the help, although I was unaware I needed the full version to run essentials.The thing is that Essentials is not a standalone program or anything. It's simply an RMXP project that was made into a Pokemon game. And as with any other RMXP project, the full version is needed (unless you can make a game in less than 30 days).

IceGod64
January 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM
(unless you can make a game in less than 30 days).

Give me a few years, I feel the need to find an appropriate image response to that.

======UNRELATED=====
http://oi52.tinypic.com/30ufl9g.jpg
What I'm trying to do here is get the HM cut to actually retrieve the name of a move upon using it instead of just saying "used cut!" because in my game, any move that slashes/cuts can be substituted for cut as long as you have the right badge.

Another thing I'm trying to do if for HMs such as surf and if you have a certain type of Pokémon in your party, you're able to use that move as well. I haven't looked into this yet though, so it's probably pretty easy.

KitsuneKouta
January 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Give me a few years, I feel the need to find an appropriate image response to that.

======UNRELATED=====
What I'm trying to do here is get the HM cut to actually retrieve the name of a move upon using it instead of just saying "used cut!" because in my game, any move that slashes/cuts can be substituted for cut as long as you have the right badge.

Another thing I'm trying to do if for HMs such as surf and if you have a certain type of Pokémon in your party, you're able to use that move as well. I haven't looked into this yet though, so it's probably pretty easy.I had an idea similar to that. Like any large or fighting type could use strength (without HMs), any large water type can surf, any pokemon with claws can cut, etc. I'd have to do some looking to figure out how to get the name, but I had something that checked moves I think in that mission script I did. You'll probably have to setup an array to store all the moves that qualify as being able to cut, and then compare it to the pokemon's moves. Then return the first match.

lezebulon
January 6th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hi
I was wondering if there is somewhere a tutorial on how to make the screen size like the DS games? I don't just mean a bigger screen, I also mean that the battle screen would fit etc
thanks

Cilerba
January 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
If you want the game screen size to be like the DS games, you'll have to go to the script SpriteResizer and change lines 11 and 12 to:

@@width=512
@@height=384

But, you can't just change the resolution and have all of the systems automatically changed to work for you. You'll have to edit the scripts to fit the resolution yourself.

lezebulon
January 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying... is there any tutorial somewhere on what to do to have the full game be resized accordingly? I see quite a few screenshots where they have the DS resolution... so is there a thread about this particular feature or something?

Cilerba
January 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying... is there any tutorial somewhere on what to do to have the full game be resized accordingly? I see quite a few screenshots where they have the DS resolution... so is there a thread about this particular feature or something?

No, because like I said, you'll have to edit the scripts yourself.
Yes, that's because they edited the scripts themselves to have everything fit the resolution. And no, there isn't a thread about just that feature.

carmaniac
January 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Stop. You're trying to get a Ds styled screen resolution with no coding knowledge? Learn to code from tutorials and messing around with editing essentials with minor things before you know, trying to do that.

lezebulon
January 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Way to read into my post about things that are not true...
I know how to code and I've added quite a few features to the engine myself (like, making all the gen4 abilities work, new attacks, etc) but I don't want to spend X hours of my time changing every X and Y positions of the battle screen. I mean, after years of pokemon essentials with GBA resolution, I was hoping someone at last would give a tutorial or a demo on how to change the screen so it's bigger

carmaniac
January 7th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Way to read into my post about things that are not true...
I know how to code and I've added quite a few features to the engine myself (like, making all the gen4 abilities work, new attacks, etc) but I don't want to spend X hours of my time changing every X and Y positions of the battle screen. I mean, after years of pokemon essentials with GBA resolution, I was hoping someone at last would give a tutorial or a demo on how to change the screen so it's bigger

Sorry, was an instant assumption as most posting like that don't normally know :P But if you need detailed help drop a Pm by and I will give you it.

lcarens
January 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Is there a way to make it so that when you fight a trainer, it will play a short sound clip that can be unique for each trainer?
Example:
You challenge the Champion of the Elite Four...
The game goes into the battle as usual, but when it says "Champion Steven would like to battle!" it plays a short sound clip of "Good luck." while it's typing the "Steven would like to battle" message?
Thanks in advance,
Lcarens

pkmntrainerpaul
January 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I've got a problem:
When I edit the battleback of my Route 1 in Pokemon Essentials, I get a black background.
But when I reset it, and when I leave the box empty, I get battlebg1.
Is anyone able to help me?

FL
January 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
That's not really an Essentials question, but I'll answer anyways. If you haven't already purchased the full version ($50 i think?), then you'll need to do so. If you did, then see if you kept the key they sent you and try to reactivate it. If that doesn't work (or you didn't keep it), then email them about the problem and they'll probably help you out. They let me transfer mine to a new computer without paying for a new one under the promise of removing it off the old one, so they're pretty flexible about these kinds of things. It would probably help to include a receipt with the email too.$29,90 at official online store

Another thing I'm trying to do if for HMs such as surf and if you have a certain type of Pokémon in your party, you're able to use that move as well. I haven't looked into this yet though, so it's probably pretty easy.
i think is somewhat this script, I use Cut for example.

Original:

def Kernel.pbCut
if $DEBUG || $Trainer.badges[BADGEFORCUT]
name=CUT
movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:name)
if $DEBUG || movefinder
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("This tree looks like it can be cut down!\1"))
if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Would you like to cut it?"))
speciesname=!movefinder ? $Trainer.name : movefinder.name
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used Cut!",speciesname))
pbHiddenMoveAnimation(movefinder)
return true
end
else
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("This tree looks like it can be cut down."))
end
else
end
return false
end

Mod:

def Kernel.pbCut
array=[]
array=[CUT,SLASH,LEAFBLADE]#insert moves here
cont=0
While(true)
movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:array[cont])
if $DEBUG || movefinder
break
return true
end
else
cont=cont+1
if (cont==array.size)
break
end
end
end
else
end
return false
end

I've got a problem:
When I edit the battleback of my Route 1 in Pokemon Essentials, I get a black background.
But when I reset it, and when I leave the box empty, I get battlebg1.
Is anyone able to help me?The essentials give you the 1 because its use the terrain type if you don't put a special area background

Have you put all new custom files?. Change XXX to your background name:
Graphics/Pictures/battlebgXXX.png - Any size.
Graphics/Pictures/playerbaseXXX.png - Measures 256x32 pixels and has the appearance of a semi-ellipse.
Graphics/Pictures/enemybaseXXX.png

pkmntrainerpaul
January 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM
The essentials give you the 1 because its use the terrain type if you don't put a special area background

Have you put all new custom files?. Change XXX to your background name:
Graphics/Pictures/battlebgXXX.png - Any size.
Graphics/Pictures/playerbaseXXX.png - Measures 256x32 pixels and has the appearance of a semi-ellipse.
Graphics/Pictures/enemybaseXXX.png
I want to use Battlebg15, playerbase15 and enemybase15 and the metadata shows this:

[007]
# Route 1
BattleBack="15"
Bicycle=true
MapPosition=1,6,5
Outdoor=true
EscapePoint=11,9,9
ShowArea=true

I'm still getting a black background though, and the same goes for the trainerbattles.

FL
January 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the advise! I downloaded all versions of the essentials and tested them. The 3rd april 2010 version was a bit strange with audio, so i took the latest version from the wiki (from 5th september 2010). Now the connections work.
Try erasing the Audio.dll (it messes with the MIDIs, which is what a lot of the music in the kit is). If that doesn't fix it (it may leave the intro MIDI playing into the battle until finished) then find trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)and change it toAudio.me_fade(2500)
trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)
pbWait(20)
Audio.me_stop
Audio.bgm_stopThat will hopefully take care of it.

I want to use Battlebg15, playerbase15 and enemybase15 and the metadata shows this:

[007]
# Route 1
BattleBack="15"
Bicycle=true
MapPosition=1,6,5
Outdoor=true
EscapePoint=11,9,9
ShowArea=true

I'm still getting a black background though, and the same goes for the trainerbattles.I think that you're done right, have you compiled? Open the editor or start the game while holding ctrl.
------------------------------
The 3rd April 2010 version I think that is the most stable version, but AWAYs had the Multibattle glitch (different that Wiki says) and a Waterfall glitch.
This version had also new bugs like fill Box glitch (I fond how to fix), battle music glitch (I fond how to fix) and a reposition (on editor) glitch.
This version has a bit less lag that later version, but more that 2009 versions or is my computer?

zingzags
January 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
For some reason when I use pbAddPokemon, then go to a pokemon wild battle the battle scene takes too long to load then autosaves, and exits, but let say i use pbCreatePokemon, I can go into a wild battle w/o crashing.
(Yes, I capitalized, and etc the player gets the pokemon... But if I go to a wild battle that is the problem.)

Andrew McKenzie
January 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Okay, I don't want to come across as an idiot but I may do so in the process of this post...

But simple request here, if possible.
As Poccil's site is down until someone donates (and I can't do so at the moment), is there
any chance of someone providing an alternative download link to the latest version, please?

If you can't provide it, then I'm out of places to look. haha.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me finally get the amazing starter kit everyone is talking about!

Deouen
January 9th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Okay, I don't want to come across as an idiot but I may do so in the process of this post...

But simple request here, if possible.
As Poccil's site is down until someone donates (and I can't do so at the moment), is there
any chance of someone providing an alternative download link to the latest version, please?

If you can't provide it, then I'm out of places to look. haha.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me finally get the amazing starter kit everyone is talking about!
The Essentials Wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki) has links to downloads for it; click here (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Essentials_downloads).

pkmntrainerpaul
January 9th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I think that you're done right, have you compiled? Open the editor or start the game while holding ctrl.

Yes, but it still isn't working...

Maruno
January 9th, 2011, 07:35 AM

[007]
# Route 1
BattleBack="15"
Bicycle=true
MapPosition=1,6,5
Outdoor=true
EscapePoint=11,9,9
ShowArea=trueI'm still getting a black background though, and the same goes for the trainerbattles.
Lose the quote marks around the 15. The reason you're getting no background with what you currently have is because the game is looking for files called battlebg"15".png, etc. Just use the following:

BattleBack=15
I think that you're done right, have you compiled? Open the editor or start the game while holding ctrl.
------------------------------
The 3rd April 2010 version I think that is the most stable version, but AWAYs had the Multibattle glitch (different that Wiki says) and a Waterfall glitch.
This version had also new bugs like fill Box glitch (I fond how to fix), battle music glitch (I fond how to fix) and a reposition (on editor) glitch.
This version has a bit less lag that later version, but more that 2009 versions or is my computer?
Would it be too much to ask that you make a list of these glitches and describe them as much as possible, so they can be documented? You may not have noticed, but part of the wiki's remit is to provide fixes for glitches, and to do that people need to offer more information than "multibattle glitch" (which could mean anything). It helps, y'know?

You can PM me whatever information you have, and I'll look into them. Thanks.

pkmntrainerpaul
January 9th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Lose the quote marks around the 15. The reason you're getting no background with what you currently have is because the game is looking for files called battlebg"15".png, etc. Just use the following:

BattleBack=15Would it be too much to ask that you make a list of these glitches and describe them as much as possible, so they can be documented? You may not have noticed, but part of the wiki's remit is to provide fixes for glitches, and to do that people need to offer more information than "multibattle glitch" (which could mean anything). It helps, y'know?

It works, thank you.
It looks great right now :D

FL
January 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Would it be too much to ask that you make a list of these glitches and describe them as much as possible, so they can be documented? You may not have noticed, but part of the wiki's remit is to provide fixes for glitches, and to do that people need to offer more information than "multibattle glitch" (which could mean anything). It helps, y'know?

Fine. I put the errors below.
I not sure about versions.

Multibattle Glitch
Versions: April 2010 and later
How activate: When 2 Trainer see you at same time and a Multi Battle Start. The Double Battle don't have this glitch.
Effect: In a Multi Battle if have four pokémon, only one be able to attack. If have three, only two able to attack.
How fix: Unknown

Waterfall Glitch
Versions:All
How activate: Use Waterfall outside of battle
Effect: Error message and close game:
Script 'PokemonHiddenMoves' line 334: ArgumentError occurred.
wrong number of arguments(2 for 0)How fix: Unknown (but I didn't think that be hard)

Battle Music Glitch
Versions: April 2010
How activate: Enter in a battle (wild or trainer)
Effect: The battle music Starts in middle and when battle ends, the next battle continues playing the music in point that the last battle stopped.
How fix:
Try erasing the Audio.dll (it messes with the MIDIs, which is what a lot of the music in the kit is). If that doesn't fix it (it may leave the intro MIDI playing into the battle until finished) then find trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)and change it toAudio.me_fade(2500)
trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)
pbWait(20)
Audio.me_stop
Audio.bgm_stopThat will hopefully take care of it.

Fill Box Glitch
Versions: April 2010
How activate: Use "Fill Box" in Debug
Script 'PokemonDebug' line 361: NameError occurred.
uninitialized constant PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMONHow fix:
I have the April 3rd not the April 13th version of Essentials so I hope there aren't any big changes between the two.
The error seems to orginate form the section PokemonDebug in the definition pbDebugMenu under the part of an "else if" statement that says:
elsif cmd=="fillboxes"
After you find that. A couple lines down should be:
$PokemonStorage[(i-1)/PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON,(i-1)%PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON]=pkmn

However, PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON is no longer a valid constant. Looking at other places that the constant was replaced yielded this line of code:
$PokemonStorage[(i-1)/$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox),(i-1)%$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox)]=pkmn
This seemed to make fillboxes work for me. However, I'm not that experienced at ruby coding would someone see if this is a possible fix.
It works fine now, however; on MultipleForms you have to comment out Shellos and Gastrodon. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't identified any maps for the two Pokémon to evolve at or FillBoxes can't process the getting of the game map. It's probably the first one though.

Reposition Glitch
Versions: 3rd April 2010
How activate: In external editor choose "Reposition Sprites"

Message: undefined method `form' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x3999488>

PokemonUtilities:1168:in `pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies'

PokemonUtilities:1154:in `pbLoadPokemonBitmap'

PokemonSprite:22:in `setPokemonBitmap'

PokemonSpritePos:151:in `pbChangeSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:187:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:181:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:201:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:307:in `pbStart'

PokemonSpritePos:306:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:314:in `pbStart'How fix: Unknown, but you can use the later version and copy/past the pokemon.txt , since this command only edit the pokemon.txt

For me, all versions had lag, the 2009 had almost none lag, the April 2010 had considerable lag, and the May 2010 had too much!
And this isn't really a error, but the 3th April 2010 release don't come with a notes.html or advanced.html, only broken shortcuts.

zingzags
January 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
For some reason when I use pbAddPokemon, then go to a pokemon wild battle the battle scene takes too long to load then autosaves, and exits, but let say i use pbCreatePokemon, I can go into a wild battle w/o crashing.
(Yes, I capitalized, and etc the player gets the pokemon... But if I go to a wild battle that is the problem.)

This, and can someone help me fix another error, for some reason when there is a sprite near map connection, and you move to the next map, the sprite that was close to the map connection in the previous map gets dragged.

Andrew McKenzie
January 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
The Essentials Wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki) has links to downloads for it; click here (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Essentials_downloads).

Much appreciated mate.
Now I can go learn a good bit and hopefully make a game like I've always wanted.
Not that it'll be the best ever, but hopefully something I can enjoy making and have at least 1 person play, haha.
Thanks again.

Maruno
January 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Fine. I put the errors below.
I not sure about versions.
Thanks very much. I'll have a look at those at some point.

Zind
January 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hello! So I've stumbled upon this annoying problem.. When I battle pokémon in the grass after having created encounters for the map I find myself the only one able to attack. The enemy simply stands there and takes it without even getting a turn! What is wrong?

This problem was not there when I first tried the game on the premade maps from the test area.

IceGod64
January 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
$29,90 at official online store

i think is somewhat this script, I use Cut for example.

Original:

def Kernel.pbCut
name=CUT
movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:name)
if $DEBUG || movefinder
return true
end
else
end
else
end
return false
end
Mod:

def Kernel.pbCut
array=[]
array=[CUT,SLASH,LEAFBLADE]#insert moves here
cont=0
While(true)
movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:array[cont])
if $DEBUG || movefinder
break
return true
end
else
cont=cont+1
if (cont==array.size)
break
end
end
end
else
end
return false
end

Well, first off, that script has multiple errors in it.
Second off, that's not what I was pointing out. I was trying to get the retrieved moves name to display in the textbox, for example "BULBASAUR used LEAF BLADE!" instead of cut.

zingzags
January 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Second off, that's not what I was pointing out. I was trying to get the retrieved moves name to display in the textbox, for example "BULBASAUR used LEAF BLADE!" instead of cut.

Try using elsif,
For example:
elsif LEAFBLADE == True or w.e
# do what u need to do here
end

w2lf
January 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Exception: NameError

Message: undefined local variable or method `oldsprites' for #<PokeBattle_Scene:0x9a5c510>

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2052:in `pbItemMenu'

PokeBattle_Battle:2369:in `pbItemMenu'

PokeBattle_Battle:2439:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2400:in `loop'

PokeBattle_Battle:2455:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2389:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:2389:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:724:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:723:in `logonerr'

PokeBattle_Battle:723:in `pbStartBattleCore'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Can someone plz help me with this error?. I tried by myself but nothing.

me2hack
January 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Can someone plz help me with this error?. I tried by myself but nothing.
Seems you defined a local variable that doesn't exist within the class.
Have you made any edits to the script?

w2lf
January 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Yes i made some changes in the scripts. alot actualy

FL
January 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
(Yes, I capitalized, and etc the player gets the pokemon... But if I go to a wild battle that is the problem.)strange, it should be working. Maybe
its the pokémon that your add, or the wild pokémon), try to pick the Mew at Test Map and using it on this grass. If this won't work maybe its some modification that you shoud have put.

Hello! So I've stumbled upon this annoying problem.. When I battle pokémon in the grass after having created encounters for the map I find myself the only one able to attack. The enemy simply stands there and takes it without even getting a turn! What is wrong?

This problem was not there when I first tried the game on the premade maps from the test area.Its only occurs in multi-battle for me (not to be confused with double battles). Can you give more details?

Second off, that's not what I was pointing out. I was trying to get the retrieved moves name to display in the textbox, for example "BULBASAUR used LEAF BLADE!" instead of cut.I made it quick only to your pick the idea and I just forgot this part (ironically the most important), sorry.

aquakip
January 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
When I tag water as a surfable tile, it allows it so you can walk on the water and surf, even if you don't ahve the ability to surf.

How can I make it so this doesn't happen? So that it's surfable, but you're not able to surf on it just yet/walk on it.

FL
January 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
When I tag water as a surfable tile, it allows it so you can walk on the water and surf, even if you don't ahve the ability to surf.

How can I make it so this doesn't happen? So that it's surfable, but you're not able to surf on it just yet/walk on it.I can use a hidden move even without a Pokemon able to do so!

This likely happened while you were playtesting a game. This is intentional. It happens only when you run the game from RPG Maker™ XP. It won't happen when you run the game normally. Please see Playtesting Functions for more information.
Also, see if you don't put other tiles passable in others layers.

Curt200718
January 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, long time no see...lol

I recently began working a little on my pokemon project again..

I dont know any RGSS scripting at this time but I had a question..

Does anyone have the code so when you encounter a wild pokemon you already own it will show a small pokeball icon under the pokemons name...the same as in fire red and leaf green...

I attempted myself but unsuccessful...

i imagine the PokeBattle_ActualScene script needs to be edited ?..around line 500..

Anyway help would be awesome...I saw Poccils website is down :(

Hopefully he can get it back up soon and continue updating the system :)

Thanks everyone

zingzags
January 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Does anyone have the code so when you encounter a wild pokemon you already own it will show a small pokeball icon under the pokemons name...the same as in fire red and leaf green...

i imagine the PokeBattle_ActualScene script needs to be edited ?..around line 500..

Thanks everyone

Well welcome back, and umm do u have the icon in ure pictures folder?

andrvitor
January 17th, 2011, 04:05 AM
thanks for post this, i search in alll pages i dont see

KitsuneKouta
January 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyoneMaruno posted a fix to that a LONG time ago. I guess you weren't kidding when you said "long time no see." Anyways, it was added to the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Battles) to make it easier to find. Look under the Data box section on that page. And Poccils site has been down for a long time (I'm assuming he didn't get enough donations yet).

Cilerba
January 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Is there a way to check if a player has a Pokémon that's a certain type in their party?
For example, an NPC that checks if the player has any Rock-type Pokémon in his/her party.

Curt200718
January 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Maruno posted a fix to that a LONG time ago. I guess you weren't kidding when you said "long time no see." Anyways, it was added to the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Battles) to make it easier to find. Look under the Data box section on that page. And Poccils site has been down for a long time (I'm assuming he didn't get enough donations yet).

Ah I will have to take a good look through the material there...yes i have been away for over 1 year..

Thanks a huge amount for the post...i got the addition added :)

Parismessios3
January 20th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hello, can anybody tell me how to make these 2 lines into 1?
i52.tinypic.com/200e552.png

IceGod64
January 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hello, can anybody tell me how to make these 2 lines into 1?
i52.tinypic.com/200e552.png
Use Extendtext.exe, dawg.

Just run it while you have RMXP open and it'll give you a (much) bigger textbox for scripts.

Parismessios3
January 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Thank you very much! That fixed my problem

IceGod64
January 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
1: How do I count the number of able Pokemon?

2: I'm trying to make a variable that's basically a step counter that only counts while you're moving and resets to 0 if you stop or turn (Reason being is to allow for the bicycle to accelerate). And tips?

3: Still having my HM issue from before. I have an array set up with all the moves I want to be able to be substituted for cut, but I don't know how to utilize that array.

4: Not really an essentials question, but more a question of Pokemon design in general, IV's no longer are used in my game, but are still there. Any opinions on what might be cool to do with those 6 random numbers of 0-31 that are useless as of now?

Maruno
January 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM

2: I'm trying to make a variable that's basically a step counter that only counts while you're moving and resets to 0 if you stop or turn (Reason being is to allow for the bicycle to accelerate). And tips?

3: Still having my HM issue from before. I have an array set up with all the moves I want to be able to be substituted for cut, but I don't know how to utilize that array.

4: Not really an essentials question, but more a question of Pokemon design in general, IV's no longer are used in my game, but are still there. Any opinions on what might be cool to do with those 6 random numbers of 0-31 that are useless as of now?
1) Use the following code. "count" is the number of able Pokémon.
count=0
for i in $Trainer.party
count+=1 if i.hp>0 && !i.egg?
endDepending on what you want, there may be an existing def already. For example, pbCheckAble(index) decides whether you'll still have any able Pokémon left if you get rid of the one given by "index".

2) I don't know. You might want to have a look at how the game knows when to display the player's running sprites, though, because they're only used when moving. The check is in the script section Walk_Run.

3) Just use the below. The only change you need to make is the array of moves (with a colon before each one). Please credit me if used.
def Kernel.pbCut
possiblemoves=[:CUT,:LEAFBLADE,:SLASH]
for i in possiblemoves
move=getID(PBMoves,i)
movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(move)
if movefinder
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used {2}!",speciesname,PBMoves.getName(move)))
return true
end
else
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("This tree looks like it can be cut down.")) if i==possiblemoves[possiblemoves.length-1]
end
end
else
end
return false
endNote that this is only for when the player interacts with a tree. You will also need to edit HiddenMoveHandlers::UseMove.add(:CUT,proc for when you use the move from the party screen (and you don't have an animation showing the Pokémon using the move).

Further, the handler above is only for the move Cut. You will need to copy-paste it for each of the other moves - this way the option "Slash", etc. will show up in the party menu.

4) I have no ideas.

IceGod64
January 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM
1) I'll need to work with that a bit. For some reason $Trainer.party generates a No Method error.

2) Alright, I'll look into it. It shouldn't be too hard.

3) Thank you. Don't worry, I already have you listed in the credits for all your help.

Ryan Hekk
January 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I've got a small question about talking to NPC's. How do you make it so that when an NPC asks you a question, instead of choosing from a list of choices, you can write in text input, and the text input is then checked to see if it matches pre-defined text. I'm doing this so that I can put a "cheater", who you write codes to and they check them in their conditional branch and return speech back and an item. I know how to do the conditional branch, I just don't know how to get text input from the user.

It doesn't even need to be written text. If you could even tell me how to get a screen up like when your inputting your name at the beginning with the letters being selectable for giving an answer, it would really help alot.

Cilerba
January 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
I've got a small question about talking to NPC's. How do you make it so that when an NPC asks you a question, instead of choosing from a list of choices, you can write in text input, and the text input is then checked to see if it matches pre-defined text. I'm doing this so that I can put a "cheater", who you write codes to and they check them in their conditional branch and return speech back and an item. I know how to do the conditional branch, I just don't know how to get text input from the user.

It doesn't even need to be written text. If you could even tell me how to get a screen up like when your inputting your name at the beginning with the letters being selectable for giving an answer, it would really help alot.

You can use pbTextEntry(helptext,minlength,maxlength,variableNumber)

helptext - The text that shows on the screen. (Example: "Rival Name?" when inputting name of a rival)
minlength - The minimum length of text you can input.
maxlength - The maximum length of text you can input.
variableNumber - The number of the variable that the text gets stored in.

If you want to display the text that the player entered, then use \v[n] and replace 'n' with the number of the variable.

Hope that helps. :)

Ryan Hekk
January 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks. That's so helpful. My next question is how do you pre-define a variable to hold a string. I know you might need to program it into the script but where in the script would I put it?

WackyTurtle
January 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hello everybody, can I please have some help on changing the battlebg on the metadata for a map?

I'm using the September 2010 (the latest) version of Pokémon Essentials, and I've tried to changed the battlebg to a D/P version (called "battlebgForest") but whenever I try to change the battlebg on the metadata option on the editor it simply comes out black. I've included the enemybase and playerbase too.

I'm sure I'm just being stupid, but can I please have some help on what it is I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Ryan Hekk
January 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
It should be battlebg followed by a three-digit number, I'm pretty sure.

WackyTurtle
January 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
It should be battlebg followed by a three-digit number, I'm pretty sure.

I changed the name to 'battlebg100' but I'm still getting black. Do I type in '100' in the BattleBack option, or 'battlebg100'?

Conan Edogawa
January 23rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
I changed the name to 'battlebg100' but I'm still getting black. Do I type in '100' in the BattleBack option, or 'battlebg100'?

Go into the metadata text file and remove the "", that should make them show up.

FL
January 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM

4: Not really an essentials question, but more a question of Pokemon design in general, IV's no longer are used in my game, but are still there. Any opinions on what might be cool to do with those 6 random numbers of 0-31 that are useless as of now?1-Use $Trainer.ablePokemonCount
4-You can put in the minigames like Pokéathlon performance stats, Triple Triad values, a customizable Hidden Power and some new move attack that compares users and opponent certain IVs and the power can varies like 40 to 120.

Thanks. That's so helpful. My next question is how do you pre-define a variable to hold a string. I know you might need to program it into the script but where in the script would I put it?In the Oak event you can make (I use the variable 78 in this example).
$game_variables[78]="Blablabla"
The below and above lines do the same thing:
pbSet(78,"Blablabla")
You can change for string to numeric and vice-versa with no major problems since you don't sum a number with a string.
Hello everybody, can I please have some help on changing the battlebg on the metadata for a map?

I'm using the September 2010 (the latest) version of Pokémon Essentials, and I've tried to changed the battlebg to a D/P version (called "battlebgForest") but whenever I try to change the battlebg on the metadata option on the editor it simply comes out black. I've included the enemybase and playerbase too.

I'm sure I'm just being stupid, but can I please have some help on what it is I'm doing wrong? Thanks.The page 333 have a talk about this.
---------------------------------
There is a way that I can give the player a item with internal name stored in one variable?

IRC
January 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
I keep getting an error when I enter the inner floor of my Lab

It confuses me, I have no clue what it means.

PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'
PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'
Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:179:in `update'

Gero50
January 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
This looks very well done. I am just starting to get back into RPG maker so this should help a lot. If I have any issues I'll be sure to let you know.

FL
January 24th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I keep getting an error when I enter the inner floor of my Lab

It confuses me, I have no clue what it means.

Shadow:179:in `update'Also known as the getRoughLatLon error due to the def that caused the problem, this is a common error associated with a newer version of Essentials. It occurs immediately when a game is started.
This error is caused by the day/night system. There is no easy fix, and the only way to get around it is to use a different version of Essentials instead.You can also set all maps to be Outdoor=false if you don't like to use the night/day thing.
----------------------------------------------
Hey, did anyone notice that, unlike the normal RPG Maker XP Debug, changing switches or variables via Debug don't refresh the map (the line $game_map.need_refresh = true)? To fix you only need to add this line on debug.

Zadow
January 24th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Hi, I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand in adding some new terrain tags.
I'll propose them in a sensible order
Tag 14 - Ash Covered Grass
Like in RSE I want to be able to set a tag for ash covered grass.
I guess one way to do it would be to have the tile just disappear when walked upon(with normal grass on a lower layer) along with an animation which I can make, using a placeholder of the normal grass animation.
I want it to check for the soot sack switch (not item) and if ON it should add 1 to the variable Soot (variable 40 currently in my game).
(I tried doing this with events but it was much too laggy with all those events on the map >.< )
Tag 15 - Puddles
Reflection but not surfable, plays animation when walked upon, again I guess I could use a placeholder animation until I make one.
Tag 16 - Beach Sand
Just plays an animation (footprints) when walked upon (Beneath player not above)

I also wondered if it's possible to change the Terrain tag 10 Tall grass to disable passage if the player is riding a bike? (possibly disable running too)

Any and all help is appreciated, as I'm not a scripter but have a vague general understanding clear instructions or tips are the most helpful. Thank you for reading (and hopefully helping)!

FL
January 24th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Tag 15 - Puddles
Reflection but not surfable, plays animation when walked upon, again I guess I could use a placeholder animation until I make one.You'll need to make a new terrain tag that just shows reflections, then.

Firstly, read up on terrain tags in the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tilesets). Note that the editor can give tiles any terrain tag at all, not just the ones listed in the table there, so it's easy to just give your puddles terrain tag 14.

As far as I can imagine, all you need to do is edit a single line near the top of Spriteset_Map:

if @event.map.terrain_tag(@event.x,nextY)!=6 && @event.map.terrain_tag(@event.x,nextY)!=14
Add the stuff in red. I think that's all you really need to do. If you want other effects, such as changing the battle backgrounds to depict a puddle environment, you'll need to make a few other changes too._______________________________________

Zadow
January 24th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I'm sorry for missing that post FL.
Thank you.
It works creating the reflection but I still have no clue how to add an animation for it in the script.
I've tried just looking around in the terrain tag stuff but it all looks quite confusing.
I'd appreciate any help with the remaining terrain tags.
*Waits patiently*

WackyTurtle
January 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Go into the metadata text file and remove the "", that should make them show up.

Ah...thank you very much!

IRC
January 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Oh thanks muchly.

I wish I would've known that from the start. (:

[who didn't plan to use night/day in the first place]

Maruno
January 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
You can also set all maps to be Outdoor=false if you don't like to use the night/day thing.
Bad idea. Calling a map "outdoor" means more than shading the screen - you can only run outside, and you can only use Fly outside too.

It's also too much work. Just look in PokemonUtilities and find the line that says "ENABLESHADING = true" (around line 314). Change it to false. Job done.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand in adding some new terrain tags.
I'll propose them in a sensible order
Tag 14 - Ash Covered Grass
Like in RSE I want to be able to set a tag for ash covered grass.
I guess one way to do it would be to have the tile just disappear when walked upon(with normal grass on a lower layer) along with an animation which I can make, using a placeholder of the normal grass animation.
I want it to check for the soot sack switch (not item) and if ON it should add 1 to the variable Soot (variable 40 currently in my game).
(I tried doing this with events but it was much too laggy with all those events on the map >.< )
Tag 15 - Puddles
Reflection but not surfable, plays animation when walked upon, again I guess I could use a placeholder animation until I make one.
Tag 16 - Beach Sand
Just plays an animation (footprints) when walked upon (Beneath player not above)

I also wondered if it's possible to change the Terrain tag 10 Tall grass to disable passage if the player is riding a bike? (possibly disable running too)

Any and all help is appreciated, as I'm not a scripter but have a vague general understanding clear instructions or tips are the most helpful. Thank you for reading (and hopefully helping)!
As far as the ripple animation for puddles goes, tall grass rustles when you walk through it. Take a peek in PokemonField and find "Events.onStepTakenFieldMovement", specifically the lines:

if currentTag==PBTerrain::Grass
$scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(GRASS_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y)Copy-paste that, use "15" instead of "PBTerrain::Grass", and use "PUDDLE_ANIMATION_ID" instead of "GRASS_ANIMATION_ID". Then, right at the top of PokemonField, add in the appropriate line. The animation itself goes in the database (F9), and I suspect it will display on top of the player (which isn't right), so you'll have to figure out how to solve that.

For ashy grass, do the same as above, but add 1 to your soot count (if you have the bag for it) and somehow make sure that tile shows cleared grass until you leave the map - I won't tell you how to do this partly because you need to work for it, but mainly because I don't know how.

Sand is a bit harder. You'll need a longer footprint animation, and two versions of it (moving horizontally or vertically). Implement it like the grass animation again, with the animation used depending on the player's facing direction. Remember to fix it appearing above the player.

That's all I'm giving you. It may well end up being a tutorial, if/when I get round to writing it up (along with my other ones).

FL
January 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Bad idea. Calling a map "outdoor" means more than shading the screen - you can only run outside, and you can only use Fly outside too.

It's also too much work. Just look in PokemonUtilities and find the line that says "ENABLESHADING = true" (around line 314). Change it to false. Job done.Yeah, today I fond this shading thing.
For run in any non-outdoor maps like DP and posterior games, in Walk_Run
def pbCanRun?
return Input.press?(Input::A) &&
$PokemonGlobal &&
$PokemonGlobal.runningShoes &&
(
pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor) ||
($PokemonEncounters && $PokemonEncounters.isCave?)
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.diving &&
!$PokemonGlobal.surfing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
change to
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end To run while using Surf/Dive (without changing graphics) use the above code instead.
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end

Ratty524
January 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Is there any way to increase the volume of the music played in battles? It always sound faint by default, and on tracks that aren't set to a blasting volume, I can barely hear the music at all.

Ryan Hekk
January 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Okay. So I tried to compile my game to distribute it and selected "Create Encrypted Archive", to protect my game from being edited. However, when I uncompressed the .exe, the PBS files were still there, and weren't included in the encrypted archive. Does this mean that if I distribute my game now, people will be able to edit the PBS files and change the game in their favour? How do I stop this from happening?

Also, how do I change the name of the .rgssad file?

IceGod64
January 25th, 2011, 03:50 PM
1-Use $Trainer.ablePokemonCount
4-You can put in the minigames like Pokéathlon performance stats, Triple Triad values, a customizable Hidden Power and some new move attack that compares users and opponent certain IVs and the power can varies like 40 to 120.

1. Yes! That's exactly what I needed, thank you!
4. Great ideas. I may end up having a Pokéathlon-type thing that uses the IV's for something (However, unlike the Pokéathlon, wont be screen mashing and completely boring).

FL
January 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Okay. So I tried to compile my game to distribute it and selected "Create Encrypted Archive", to protect my game from being edited. However, when I uncompressed the .exe, the PBS files were still there, and weren't included in the encrypted archive. Does this mean that if I distribute my game now, people will be able to edit the PBS files and change the game in their favour? How do I stop this from happening?

Also, how do I change the name of the .rgssad file?I thinks what be other way, but the http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239535 also work.

zingzags
January 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
That is weird I was also planning to make a racing mini-game, Now that I upgraded my game to 60 fps, and fixed some glitches when it run that fast lag is not really noticeable anymore...

But, why does the maps lag when the player is near the map connection?

FL
January 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
That is weird I was also planning to make a racing mini-game, Now that I upgraded my game to 60 fps, and fixed some glitches when it run that fast lag is not really noticeable anymore...

But, why does the maps lag when the player is near the map connection?How you upgrade to 60 fps?
And anyone had any tips to reduce the lag other that use a old version?
I fond that the Original Map View reduce the lag, but the game looks bad with this, even I don't really understand the difference for map views original and custom, someone can explain for me?

zingzags
January 26th, 2011, 07:36 PM
How you upgrade to 60 fps?
And anyone had any tips to reduce the lag other that use a old version?
I fond that the Original Map View reduce the lag, but the game looks bad with this, even I don't really understand the difference for map views original and custom, someone can explain for me?

find
Graphics.frame_rate, or something similar its in RGSS2 script (the first one.)

Mrchewy
January 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Is there any reason that, in the latest version of Essentials, I'm getting a ~300ms pause every few seconds? It doesn't sound that bad on paper, but it makes things almost unplayable.

This is a clean version, running on a very powerful machine. Have no troubles with any other RPG Maker games, so I know it's a problem with Essentials and not RMXP.

Crazyninjaguy
January 28th, 2011, 01:44 AM
That's a problem with the latest version, i'm not sure why at all though.
I haven't worked with essentials for a while, but i'm assuming it's because of everything the Scene_Map class has to deal with, or something refreshing at that point.

It may sound like a bad idea, but try downgrading to the version before :D

Until Poccil's site comes back up (If more people donate), We're stuck with this version :3

FL
January 28th, 2011, 03:14 AM
find
Graphics.frame_rate, or something similar its in RGSS2 script (the first one.)That thing has even in the RGSS Help, but I have not see before.
But this thing speeds up the WHOLE GAME O__o, not just reduce the lag...

Is there any reason that, in the latest version of Essentials, I'm getting a ~300ms pause every few seconds? It doesn't sound that bad on paper, but it makes things almost unplayable.

This is a clean version, running on a very powerful machine. Have no troubles with any other RPG Maker games, so I know it's a problem with Essentials and not RMXP.Try to use the 04/03/2010 version on wikia, was less lag.
Put if anyone discover any other anti-lag tips just post here.

By the way, has anyone try to contact poccil to deal with these questions? He has knowledge about wikia? He was continuing to update the essentials in this period that the site is still off?
Poccil had an a account in several sites, especially the wiki ones, he aways using his channel in youtube.

zingzags
January 28th, 2011, 12:20 PM
That thing has even in the RGSS Help, but I have not see before.

Try to use the 04/03/2010 version on wikia, was less lag.
Put if anyone discover any other anti-lag tips just post here.

By the way, has anyone try to contact poccil to deal with these questions? He has knowledge about wikia? He was continuing to update the essentials in this period that the site is still off?
Poccil had an a account in several sites, especially the wiki ones, he aways using his channel in youtube.

That is why you also have to edit a few other scripts, I will show you what I done when a demo is released of my game (hopefully next month).

Mrchewy
January 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM
That thing has even in the RGSS Help, but I have not see before.

That is working as intended.

Since all timing in Essentials is measured by frames (i.e., pbWait, animations, transitions), increasing the number of frames per second - while making things smother - will speed the game up.

Considering that many transitions and animations are by default rather slow, increasing the framerate to 60 is probably a good idea. You'll probably want to reduce the player movement in Walk_Run if you do this, however.

Poccil still responds to PMs on occasion, but suffice to say he is no longer actively working on Essentials. To be honest, there's no real reason to. There's a few broken/missing features, but for the most part it's working fine. There's only been one game in over four years that has actually been completed with Essentials, so I don't blame him for not investing more time into it.

Ryan Hekk
January 29th, 2011, 05:20 AM
You can make that two at the end of 2011 when I complete my game with Essentials.

Mrchewy
January 29th, 2011, 05:24 AM
You can make that two at the end of 2011 when I complete my game with Essentials.

Not to be a downer or anything, but that's probably not going to happen. Browse through all the pages in the Games Showcase and count how many abandoned games there are. In fact, count all the threads in the showcase. With the exception of Raptor, there isn't a single finished game in there. Acanthite, as an example, is still semi-active and has been around for years, yet will never be completed.

The main problem is that those who are actually serious about finishing a game focus far too much on perfection and spend all their time coding fancy menus and implementing flashy graphics. All this stuff makes for wonderful screenshots and impressive videos, of course, undeniably. The only problem is, it seems that by the time a developer has finished creating awesome Gen X features, Gen Y has been released, and that developer feels compelled to upgrade everything. I'm not gonna name names, but I've seen it happen a lot.

By all means, enjoy playing around with the Starter Kit and try to get as much developed as you can, but you need to understand that you probably won't finish the game. Creating a game even on the scale of FR/LG (small compared to R/S/E) will take a very, very long time.

Ryan Hekk
January 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I know it'll take a very very long time. 30 hours into development, and I've got up to Cerulean City done. I don't know what takes longer creating the maps, finding the resources, implementing trainers and encounters, or making the events and story. I think the last option there will end up being the most time-consuming. Up until just now, I was actually mapping it myself, however, someone showed me Curt's region starter kit, and that may possibly help me in my goal to completion of this game. I can picture this development taking more than a year, but I'll do my best to offer the PokeCommunity, a full Pokemon experience, as close to that of FireRed and LeafGreen but with additional features. I'm not being over-ambitious by trying to get the graphics as fancy as possible. I intend to finish this game, and I will consider updating the non-necessary elements like tiles and sprites to the HG/SS equivalent, in the future. But the most important thing is making a game that people will actually be able to play.

Mrchewy
January 31st, 2011, 04:13 AM
Eh, does anyone know if there's a way to increase the rate at which charsets animate? I'm not talking about movement speed, but the speed at which characters change frames.

By default, it's kind slow, and the player character looks like he's 'sliding' (i.e. moving faster than his animation would imply).

Ryan Hekk
January 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM
How do you get it so that other trainers can swim? They can't move because the water is marked as X in the passage and terrain tag 6, so that they can only be surfed on by the player, but this limits movement by other trainers in the water. How do I fix this?

Conan Edogawa
January 31st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Can anyone explain how battle backgrounds work? I want to have something more than the basic 3rd gen background, but I need to know how to format the background so it works. Is it possible to just put the background in as it is, or do I need to rearrange it?

Cilerba
January 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
Can anyone explain how battle backgrounds work? I want to have something more than the basic 3rd gen background, but I need to know how to format the background so it works. Is it possible to just put the background in as it is, or do I need to rearrange it?

You shouldn't need to rearrange it. If you have the battle background the same size as your game resolution, then you can just paste it and it'll work.

Ratty524
January 31st, 2011, 05:57 PM
Since my first question didn't receive an answer, I'll try something else:

Is it possible to create a wild pokemon battle where catching the pokemon is disabled? For an example, think of Red & Blue where you battled the ghost of Marowak. Even though the silph scope revealed it to be a marowak, if you tried to throw a ball to catch it, it would dodge and a message would appear stating "this pokemon cannot be captured". Is this part of this essentials, or is it something that needs to be scripted?

pokefan41
January 31st, 2011, 09:24 PM

Is it possible to create a wild pokemon battle where catching the pokemon is disabled? For an example, think of Red & Blue where you battled the ghost of Marowak. Even though the silph scope revealed it to be a marowak, if you tried to throw a ball to catch it, it would dodge and a message would appear stating "this pokemon cannot be captured". Is this part of this essentials, or is it something that needs to be scripted?
To my knowledge, I do not know if this is possible in Essentials. You might be able to achieve this with a wild encounter triggered by an event, but I do not know how to do that, or whether or not it will work.

Now I have a question of my own, actually, more of a problem. Essentials has suddenly stopped registering pokemon as captured.

What I mean is: I catch a pokemon, the pokedex says I've captured it, but it's not in my party, or in the PC. I can't think of anything that I could've done to cause this to happen. This is on one of my practice games, created only to allow me to get familiar with how Essentials works, nothing more. I have another game which I've created and as far as I know, that one works well. Does anyone know how this could've happened, and if it can be fixed?

Mrchewy
January 31st, 2011, 11:12 PM

Battle backgrounds typically come in three parts: the actual background, the player base, and the enemy base. Each 'set' of three represents a different background type (i.e. there might be a grassy set, a purple indoor set, a water set).

The actual background can be whatever size you'd like. If it's smaller than the screen size than it is repeated horizontally and vertically.

The standard battle backgrounds are actually quite advanced; there's support for different backgrounds depending on the time of day, and you can also set the battle background on a per battle basis. Most of this is covered in notes.html.

The easiest way to implement new backgrounds is to replace the current images, but keeping the theme. For example, replacing the current grassy set of images with, say, Diamond/Pearl grassy images. This way you'll get the correct background showing.

Maruno
February 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM

You'd have to script it yourself. Fortunately, it's relatively simple to do. Go into PokeBattle_Battle and find the def pbThrowPokeBall. Near the top is the following:

if @opponent && (!pbIsSnagBall?(ball) || !battler.isShadow?)
@scene.pbThrowAndDeflect(ball,1)
pbDisplay(_INTL("The Trainer blocked the Ball!\nDon't be a thief!"))
else
pokemon=battler.pokemonBefore that "else", put an "elsif $game_switches[42]" and put in that clause some code similar to the "throw and deflect" part. Ideally it would be an animation of the player throwing the ball and the Pokémon dodging (stored in a separate def like pbThrowAndDeflect), then the message you want. The "throw and deflect" part is almost identical to what you want, except it shows the enemy trainer butting in instead (or at least, it would if it were scripted).

Finally, flip Global Switch 42 ON just before the battle, and OFF again immediately after it. This works best with event encounters (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Event_encounters).

The hardest part to this would be to display the animation, because you'd need to script it from scratch. If you're cunning, though, you can steal half of the def pokeballThrow further up and tweak it a little towards the end.

Now I have a question of my own, actually, more of a problem. Essentials has suddenly stopped registering pokemon as captured.

What I mean is: I catch a pokemon, the pokedex says I've captured it, but it's not in my party, or in the PC. I can't think of anything that I could've done to cause this to happen. This is on one of my practice games, created only to allow me to get familiar with how Essentials works, nothing more. I have another game which I've created and as far as I know, that one works well. Does anyone know how this could've happened, and if it can be fixed?
Sounds like you might have fiddled with pbStorePokemon (in PokemonUtilities) in some way. The simplest fix is to replace that def with the original version.

Ratty524
February 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks a lot Maruno. It works perfectly. I haven't set up an animation for it, but I kind of feel like if I mess with scripts any further I just tend to screw stuff up, plus the process works even without an animation. Thank you again.

kanto123326
February 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
s hope this doesn't sound noobish, but how do you change the pokemon you find,battle?actually, i cant get any pokemon to appear at all when i playtest it...an answer, anyone?

Ratty524
February 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
s hope this doesn't sound noobish, but how do you change the pokemon you find,battle?actually, i cant get any pokemon to appear at all when i playtest it...an answer, anyone?

Things you should check:

1) Did you specify what pokemon is supposed to appear through the editor? If you go to "Set Metadata" and select the map you want, you can specify the pokemon encounters. Read this for more information:
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Encounters

2) If you are using a custom tileset, are your terrain tags correct? All "tall grass" tiles, where pokemon are supposed to appear, should have a terrain tag of 2 in order to work.

3) In the metadata, how high did you set your encounters? if it's a low number, than pokemon will least likely appear when you walk over tall grass or in a cave.

jota_rdk
February 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hello there!

My question: Are ther any tutorial about day/night system?
My second question: Are there any tutorial about how to put new trainers in the game?

Greetings!!

Conan Edogawa
February 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hello there!

My question: Are ther any tutorial about day/night system?
My second question: Are there any tutorial about how to put new trainers in the game?

Greetings!!

1. Set the map to be outdoor in the Editor and the day/night system will work on it.
2. Check the Wiki, it's in Maruno's signature.

kanto123326
February 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
global switches? how do those work and where do i put them?could you plz answer quickly?

jota_rdk
February 3rd, 2011, 03:26 AM
1. Set the map to be outdoor in the Editor and the day/night system will work on it.
2. Check the Wiki, it's in Maruno's signature.

But I want a tutorial that explain how use it (day/night system). I have already changed it in editor, but I don't know how to put the correct time of day or to put illumination at night.

I hope your help :D

Maruno
February 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
I just want to announce that I've fixed the marking bug in Essentials, i.e. the game crashes when you try to mark Pokémon in storage with the ● ■ ▲ ♥ symbols. Just thought you guys might want to know.

The fix is available in the wiki article PC Pokémon storage (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Pok%C3%A9mon_storage). The best part is that it's really simple to fix.

jota_rdk
February 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I have another doubt very important. I hope you can help me.

How can I delete this effect without delete the script?

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2746/efecto.png

ag4047
February 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Use the Pokemon Starter Kit and using the editor that is included, I link one map to another so it does not teleport the character ...
When I link any map in the editor seems that looks good but when you get to play the map you link is black (which would not have to happen) anyone can help me?
PD: will add the pokemon following character...
Sorry for my english ,I'm Argentine...

kanto123326
February 3rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
URRGGHHHH! could some one PLZ reply? thx!

Martinixon
February 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
I started getting this error lately after choosing a name while creating a new game.
I would appreciate any help

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/Martinixon/Error.png

Mrchewy
February 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM

No need to get frustrated. This thread doesn't exist for the sole purpose of answering people's questions, you know.

Global switches can be controlled via events by choosing the "Control Switches" command. Clicking on the little arrow next to the switch name brings up a dialogue where you can add/edit/remove all global switches in your game.

This is an RMXP feature non-exclusive to Essentials, however, and you're question would've been answered in the RMXP help files or even from a quick Google search.

Ratty524
February 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM

Please, you've got to be patient. The worst thing to do when asking for help is to be rude.

Anyway, global switches are simply the set of switches that come with RMXP. They are used to control events, such as making sure a player can't get anything out of a treasure chest once he has already opened it and received its item. The counterpart of global switches would be self-switches, which should be used for the event only and should not be relied on for the game as a whole.

Are you even familiar with RPG maker as a whole? While I'd hate to be a spoiler, if you aren't you shouldn't be attempting to make a full fledge pokemon game with this maker yet. You should practice reading the help files and making default projects so that not only you can enjoy game-making, but also learn about the features of your engine. Pokemon Essentials is an add-on to this maker, and if you don't know the basics, using this will be harder than it should be.

ag4047
February 4th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Please someone help me with my problem !

Maruno
February 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I have another doubt very important. I hope you can help me.

How can I delete this effect without delete the script?

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2746/efecto.png
What effect are you talking about? The glow? That's because the door event is called "Light" or "OutdoorLight". Rename it.

Use the Pokemon Starter Kit and using the editor that is included, I link one map to another so it does not teleport the character ...
When I link any map in the editor seems that looks good but when you get to play the map you link is black (which would not have to happen) anyone can help me?
PD: will add the pokemon following character...
Sorry for my english ,I'm Argentine...
I was very much tempted not to answer this, because you're so impatient.

Make sure that you place the maps next to each other correctly in the Editor. They should not overlap.

I started getting this error lately after choosing a name while creating a new game.
I would appreciate any help

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/Martinixon/Error.png
Have you compiled the game (i.e. play it from RPG Maker XP)?

The problem is that it doesn't know how many Pokémon there are in total in your game, which is something that is set during compilation.

jota_rdk
February 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hello!

Is it possible to change the wild pokémons and battle background at night?

Greetings!!

HankMan
February 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Anyone know how to create an opening scene in your pokemon game. Can you upload it as a .swf to create a scene, like in the original Nintendo Pokemon games when you leave the menu for a short bit, a scene plays. I wanna be able to create one of those, because I'm a decent animator and I have some awesome cutsenes to make. PM me anyone who could help. All help is appreciated, and accounted for. :)

tylerab01
February 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hello, I am trying to make a Wild Pokemon Battle Script but nothing is working, i am using this script:

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

either nothing happens or an error pops up.

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 23, map 46 (Gracidea Forest):

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):2: syntax error
(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)
^

***Line '(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at

the end of the last line

***Full script:

pbWildBattle

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'

Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Ty\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

KitsuneKouta
February 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hello, I am trying to make a Wild Pokemon Battle Script but nothing is working, i am using this script:

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

either nothing happens or an error pops up.

Message: Script error within event 23, map 46 (Gracidea Forest):
(eval):2: syntax error
^

***Line '(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at the end of the last line

***Full script:
pbWildBattle

Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
A couple of things: first, it helps when you cut the fat out of the error message, like I did above. Second, the line highlighted in blue tells you exactly what to do. So, instead of

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10), use:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

(with the first parenthesis on the first line, and the rest on the second line). Also, this question is answered in the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages), as are many other common questions. I'd really recommend looking around there more when you have problems or just want to learn more about how the kit works.

ag4047
February 5th, 2011, 05:21 AM
My problem persists... i need help...

carmaniac
February 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
My problem persists... i need help...

You said you were using the pokemon following character script, it's that answer to your problem cause.

WackyTurtle
February 5th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hello everybody, does anybody know how to, in the newest version of Essentials, make a game where your character can sprint when not using the day/night cycle? I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

tylerab01
February 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
A couple of things: first, it helps when you cut the fat out of the error message, like I did above. Second, the line highlighted in blue tells you exactly what to do. So, instead of

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10), use:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

(with the first parenthesis on the first line, and the rest on the second line). Also, this question is answered in the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages), as are many other common questions. I'd really recommend looking around there more when you have problems or just want to learn more about how the kit works.

Thank you very much for the feedback! But now my issue seems to be that when ever i talk to the shaymin the battle does not take place. >.< Why does this stuff have to happen? When i was working on the Old AquaHarmony this did not happen :p

Mrchewy
February 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hello everybody, does anybody know how to, in the newest version of Essentials, make a game where your character can sprint when not using the day/night cycle? I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

How have you disabled the day/night cycle? There's a few ways in which this can be done, but as far as I know as long as you still set maps to be outdoors then running still works fine.

I believe there's a line somewhere (Walk_Run?) which you can modify to allow the player to run when indoors. I'll take a look when I get home and get back to you.

FL
February 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
How have you disabled the day/night cycle? There's a few ways in which this can be done, but as far as I know as long as you still set maps to be outdoors then running still works fine.

I believe there's a line somewhere (Walk_Run?) which you can modify to allow the player to run when indoors. I'll take a look when I get home and get back to you.

It's also too much work. Just look in PokemonUtilities and find the line that says "ENABLESHADING = true" (around line 314). Change it to false. Job done.
Yeah, today I fond this shading thing.
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
change to
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end To run while using Surf/Dive (without changing graphics) use the above code instead.
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
endIt's only two pages before...

jota_rdk
February 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Where can I download a new menu for pokemon essentials?

carmaniac
February 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Where can I download a new menu for pokemon essentials?

You can't, you can either make it yourself or get a coder to script a new one for you.

FL
February 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM
That is working as intended.

Since all timing in Essentials is measured by frames (i.e., pbWait, animations, transitions), increasing the number of frames per second - while making things smother - will speed the game up.

Considering that many transitions and animations are by default rather slow, increasing the framerate to 60 is probably a good idea. You'll probably want to reduce the player movement in Walk_Run if you do this, however.

Poccil still responds to PMs on occasion, but suffice to say he is no longer actively working on Essentials. To be honest, there's no real reason to. There's a few broken/missing features, but for the most part it's working fine. There's only been one game in over four years that has actually been completed with Essentials, so I don't blame him for not investing more time into it.Put I thinks that the more important thing is the thousands of people that used the kit and enjoy. In http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151474 poccil stated that kit is "it's clearly successful".
But you thinks that more completed games can make Poccil back actively working? And Pokemon Crystal Rain is completed.

In the lag subject, for me the lag occur only in the beggining when I open a game.

How do you get it so that other trainers can swim? They can't move because the water is marked as X in the passage and terrain tag 6, so that they can only be surfed on by the player, but this limits movement by other trainers in the water. How do I fix this?In my version they can swin, but only when I was surfing. If you have tried to surf and they won't move, checks if you have in the PokémonField this piece of code:
def pbIsPassableWaterTag?(tag)
return tag==PBTerrain::DeepWater||
tag==PBTerrain::Water||
tag==PBTerrain::StillWater||
tag==PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest
end

def pbIsGrassTag?(tag)
return tag==PBTerrain::Grass||
tag==PBTerrain::TallGrass||
tag==PBTerrain::UnderwaterGrass
end

def pbIsWaterTag?(tag)
return tag==PBTerrain::DeepWater||
tag==PBTerrain::Water||
tag==PBTerrain::StillWater||
tag==PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest||
tag==PBTerrain::Waterfall
end

Can anyone explain how battle backgrounds work? I want to have something more than the basic 3rd gen background, but I need to know how to format the background so it works. Is it possible to just put the background in as it is, or do I need to rearrange it?See the line 1111 in PokemonField
def pbGetEnvironment
return PBEnvironment::None if !$game_map
if $PokemonGlobal && $PokemonGlobal.diving
return PBEnvironment::Underwater
elsif $PokemonEncounters && $PokemonEncounters.isCave?
return PBEnvironment::Cave
elsif !pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
return PBEnvironment::None
else
terrain=$game_player.terrain_tag
if terrain==PBTerrain::Grass # Normal grass
return PBEnvironment::Grass
elsif terrain==PBTerrain::TallGrass # Tall grass
return PBEnvironment::TallGrass
elsif terrain==PBTerrain::DeepWater || terrain==PBTerrain::Water
return PBEnvironment::MovingWater
elsif terrain==PBTerrain::StillWater
return PBEnvironment::StillWater
elsif terrain==PBTerrain::Rock
return PBEnvironment::Rock
elsif terrain==PBTerrain::Sand
return PBEnvironment::Sand
end
return PBEnvironment::None
end
end

Hello!

Is it possible to change the wild pokémons and battle background at night?

Greetings!!In the above code made changes like
put
time=Time.now
if PBDayNight.isDay?
else
return PBEnvironment::TallGrassn
end

Remember to change PBEnvironment and put TallGrassn in this example with number of night grafics.
I think that have something with line 1111 in PokemonField.
The only fix that I can thing is to change

To
if terrain==PBTerrain::DeepWater ||
terrain==PBTerrain::Water || PBEnvironment::MovingWater
return PBEnvironment::CaveWater
else
end
And make a new background mixing the base and bg
2-Any news in the anti-lag tips? For me the lag occur only in the beggining when I open a game, anyone had any idea?
3-I probably got missed: There is a way that I can give the player a item with internal name stored in one variable?

ag4047
February 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM
You said you were using the pokemon following character script, it's that answer to your problem cause.

then, I can not use pokemon Following characters with pokemon essentials kit?

carmaniac
February 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
then, I can not use pokemon Following characters with pokemon essentials kit?

Well, not with versions going on past from may 2010, try out pokemon essentials Ds if you wanna have your game with the pokemon following character script, they seem to have got it working to a certain extent.

Maruno
February 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
My turn:
1-I think this is a easy and common question, but I can't fond a easy fix...
Surf on one cave and the battle base is still a cave...
I think that have something with line 1111 in PokemonField.
The only fix that I can thing is to change
To
if terrain==PBTerrain::DeepWater ||
terrain==PBTerrain::Water || PBEnvironment::MovingWater
return PBEnvironment::CaveWater
else
end
And make a new background mixing the base and bg
2-Any news in the anti-lag tips? For me the lag occur only in the beggining when I open a game, anyone had any idea?
3-I probably got missed:
There is a way that I can give the player a item with internal name stored in one variable?
1. You answered your own question (although it's Water, StillWater and DeepWater). Although for slightly more simplicity, you may just want to check $PokemonGlobal.surfing (if it's true, then you're surfing) rather than the terrain tag.

2. Is there less lag when you disable the day/night system? I imagine that per-minute shading can put a strain on the system. I've never had lag, because I have a good computer, so I don't know anything about it.

3. When you give the item to a player, just use $game_variables[42]="Potion". To use the item's name in a message, use \v[42].

KitsuneKouta
February 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Thank you very much for the feedback! But now my issue seems to be that when ever i talk to the shaymin the battle does not take place. >.< Why does this stuff have to happen? When i was working on the Old AquaHarmony this did not happen :pI can't say for sure, but it may be that the formatting is off. I looked at the wiki, but it's shown two ways: the way you have it, and like this: pbWildBattle(::PBSpecies::species,level,result,escape)

notice the extra "::" in front of PBSpecies. It doesn't say for sure which is correct.
Of course, typos are also a possibility. And finally, the second number shouldn't be higher than 4. Check out the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Event_encounters#Wild_battles_caused_by_an_event) if you need more clarification.

FL
February 6th, 2011, 04:49 AM
1. You answered your own question (although it's Water, StillWater and DeepWater). Although for slightly more simplicity, you may just want to check $PokemonGlobal.surfing (if it's true, then you're surfing) rather than the terrain tag.

2. Is there less lag when you disable the day/night system? I imagine that per-minute shading can put a strain on the system. I've never had lag, because I have a good computer, so I don't know anything about it.

3. When you give the item to a player, just use $game_variables[42]="Potion". To use the item's name in a message, use \v[42].1-lol, I confuse terrain==PBTerrain::StillWater with PBEnvironment::MovingWater. Thanks for the tip.

2-I have not compared but I think yes. Its strange because only lag in approximately the first minute (even in battle and pokédex screen). But my objetive its to not lag in other people computers, if only me had this issue is OK.

3-Not working, and I tried:
$game_variables[31]="POTION"
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
::PBItems::pbGet(31))

Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
::PBItems::+pbGet(31))

Kernel.pbReceiveItem(pbGet(31))

$game_variables[31]="::PBItems::POTION"
I can only do with a numeric value. But I can do the inverse? Put a numeric and gets the internal name in one variable?

jota_rdk
February 6th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I need help again xD. Okay, I have tried to make a bridge, but I can not. There are any tutorial about this?

WackyTurtle
February 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM
It's only two pages before...

Sorry, I should've checked. Thanks anyway! :)

KittenCry66
February 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Another n00b question.
I just had my harddrive replaced, and I looked on the essentials wiki. It has some Shadow Pokemon data remived, and it has Snagging Shadow Pokemon section with no information. When I try to snag a Shadow Pokemon with a Masterball, or any other type of Pokeball, the trainer blocks it. How do I set up a pokeball to catch Shadow Pokemon?

Ryan Hekk
February 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I just had my harddrive replaced, and I looked on the essentials wiki. It has some Shadow Pokemon data remived, and it has Snagging Shadow Pokemon section with no information. When I try to snag a Shadow Pokemon with a Masterball, or any other type of Pokeball, the trainer blocks it. How do I set up a pokeball to catch Shadow Pokemon?

Go to the items.txt in the PBS folder and Ctrl+F, "POKeBALL", then scroll far right and change the last '0' to a '2'. Repeat process for GREATBALL, ULTRABALL, MASTERBALL, and any other PokeBall that you would like to change to a Snag Ball.

Bill™
February 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm really sorry if someone has already asked this, but how do i get the trainer battle intro to play when the see you, and stop as soon as the battle starts?

Also where can i get the icon folder that is fixed?

Maruno
February 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I can't say for sure, but it may be that the formatting is off. I looked at the wiki, but it's shown two ways: the way you have it, and like this: pbWildBattle(::PBSpecies::species,level,result,escape)

notice the extra "::" in front of PBSpecies. It doesn't say for sure which is correct.
Of course, typos are also a possibility. And finally, the second number shouldn't be higher than 4. Check out the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Event_encounters#Wild_battles_caused_by_an_event) if you need more clarification.
There's no difference between the two versions (extra colons and no).

1-lol, I confuse terrain==PBTerrain::StillWater with PBEnvironment::MovingWater. Thanks for the tip.

2-I have not compared but I think yes. Its strange because only lag in approximately the first minute (even in battle and pokédex screen). But my objetive its to not lag in other people computers, if only me had this issue is OK.

3-Not working, and I tried:
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
::PBItems::pbGet(31))

Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
::PBItems::+pbGet(31))

$game_variables[31]="::PBItems::POTION"
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(pbGet(31))I can only do with a numeric value. But I can do the inverse? Put a numeric and gets the internal name in one variable?
If this is how you're using it, you'd be better off storing the item's number rather than its name. Use the following:

$game_variables[31]=PBItems::POTION

I need help again xD. Okay, I have tried to make a bridge, but I can not. There are any tutorial about this?
You can only make a bridge that goes over water at the moment. Bridge tiles should have terrain tag 13. There's probably a way to make bridges over land too, but that's a bit more complicated.

tylerab01
February 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Idk what that means, but to be honest I am hearing that a lot of people are having the same issue of event pokemon battles that i am having.

Mrchewy
February 6th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Idk what that means, but to be honest I am hearing that a lot of people are having the same issue of event pokemon battles that i am having.

"A lot" of people? Who? To the best of my knowledge this isn't a common problem. No need to use weasel words.

I've tried initiating a battle like this on three different versions of Essentials, and the only one it doesn't work on is the latest version. Meaning of course that the latest version is bugged. Downgrade to a different version would probably be the most viable option, unfortunately.

pokefan41
February 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I'm having problems with Essentials again. This time, the player walks on water.

Without any badges in my possesion, I attempt to surf on water with no pokemon that know surf. Well, normally this shouldn't work and you should only get the message, 'the water is a dyed deep blue.' Not here, I approach the water, I press enter, I get the message would you like to surf, I say yes, and the next thing I know, I'm walking on the water. I don't know how this could happen, or whether or not this is even supposed to happen, but it does.

Anyone know why this could be happening, and how I might be able to fix it, if possible?

carmaniac
February 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm having problems with Essentials again. This time, the player walks on water.

Without any badges in my possesion, I attempt to surf on water with no pokemon that know surf. Well, normally this shouldn't work and you should only get the message, 'the water is a dyed deep blue.' Not here, I approach the water, I press enter, I get the message would you like to surf, I say yes, and the next thing I know, I'm walking on the water. I don't know how this could happen, or whether or not this is even supposed to happen, but it does.

Anyone know why this could be happening, and how I might be able to fix it, if possible?

Are you by any chance running the game from inside Rpg Maker XP?

Maruno
February 7th, 2011, 03:53 PM
"A lot" of people? Who? To the best of my knowledge this isn't a common problem. No need to use weasel words.

I've tried initiating a battle like this on three different versions of Essentials, and the only one it doesn't work on is the latest version. Meaning of course that the latest version is bugged. Downgrade to a different version would probably be the most viable option, unfortunately.
So what exactly are you doing, then? It works fine in my 5th September (the latest) version, no matter how often I try. What does it say when it doesn't work?

tylerab01
February 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
@Maruno

I am trying make an event were you battle a wild shaymin. I am using the code that is in the notes but either I get an error or nothing happens XD

error:

***Line '(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,20,10)' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at

the end of the last line

***Full script:

pbWildBattle
(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,20,10)

That is the code and everything and nothing happens when i follor the error and make it look like this:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,20,10)

I have downgraded to the first release and still nothing so I don't know what the issue is any more :C I need to get this working or my game demo will not be out when i need it to be for a project.

pokefan41
February 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Are you by any chance running the game from inside Rpg Maker XP?
I am, or I was. I tried the same thing out of RPG Maker XP, and I wasn't able to surf on the water. I guess it does that only within XP. Thanks.

Mrchewy
February 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
So what exactly are you doing, then? It works fine in my 5th September (the latest) version, no matter how often I try. What does it say when it doesn't work?

I don't have this problem personally as I'm using an older version, but trying with the 5th September version downloaded from the wiki it just doesn't work. No error messages, no freezes, the battle just doesn't start.

Admittedly it seems unlikely that it'd actually be broken, and I could be doing something wrong, but the exact same event works just fine in my version.

I am, or I was. I tried the same thing out of RPG Maker XP, and I wasn't able to surf on the water. I guess it does that only within XP. Thanks.

Your question has been asked many, many times before in this thread. It is not a bug, it's a feature; to allow for easier testing, when running the game from within XP you can use every HM without a Pokémon.

pokefan41
February 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Your question has been asked many, many times before in this thread. It is not a bug, it's a feature; to allow for easier testing, when running the game from within XP you can use every HM without a Pokémon.
Sorry I'm reiterating a common question, I just didn't know.

Maruno
February 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
@Maruno

I am trying make an event were you battle a wild shaymin. I am using the code that is in the notes but either I get an error or nothing happens XD

error:

***Line '(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,20,10)' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at

the end of the last line

***Full script:

pbWildBattle
(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,20,10)

That is the code and everything and nothing happens when i follor the error and make it look like this:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,20,10)

I have downgraded to the first release and still nothing so I don't know what the issue is any more :C I need to get this working or my game demo will not be out when i need it to be for a project.

I don't have this problem personally as I'm using an older version, but trying with the 5th September version downloaded from the wiki it just doesn't work. No error messages, no freezes, the battle just doesn't start.

Admittedly it seems unlikely that it'd actually be broken, and I could be doing something wrong, but the exact same event works just fine in my version.
This is a stupid question, but did you have any Pokémon in your party when you tried to battle them? If you don't, the battle is skipped without saying anything.

I have just downloaded the 5th September 2010 version of Essentials via the MegaUpload link on the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Essentials_downloads), created a single event (screenshot is attached) and ran the game. The battle works fine. I can't think what you're doing wrong, since you're adamant your events are correct (and I believe you), but Essentials itself works. That's all I can say.

Bill™
February 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm really sorry if someone has already asked this, but how do i get the trainer battle intro to play when the see you, and stop as soon as the battle starts?

Also where can i get the icon folder that is fixed?

I REALLY NEED AN ANSWER!!!

TYVM

Mrchewy
February 9th, 2011, 06:05 AM
This is a stupid question, but did you have any Pokémon in your party when you tried to battle them? If you don't, the battle is skipped without saying anything.

Hurr durr, that would've been the problem yes. I'm an idiot :) .

In that case, if tylerab01 insists that he's doing everything right (including having Pokémon in his party), then yeah, I really can't propose a solution. Maruno is right; it's working in every single unmodified version of Essentials I can find.

KittenCry66
February 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah...That didn't work. Can you give me the PBS code to make a Snag Ball type Pokeball?

Maruno
February 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM

TYVM
No one's going to help you if you shout at them, not even if you abbreviate your thanks at the end.

Yeah...That didn't work. Can you give me the PBS code to make a Snag Ball type Pokeball?
4,POKeBALL,Poké Ball,3,200,A device for catching wild Pokémon. It is thrown like a ball at the target. It is designed as a capsule system.,0,2,2,
That red number is 2 if it's a Snag Ball. Check out the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Items) for more about items.

KittenCry66
February 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
That's the one I changed. I'm running it from RMXP itself. Is that what causes the problem?

TheMarkCrafter
February 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
i am making a champion battle, but i want to do after it things like: Professor coming and saying that you are the champ, or other events, if you found help, REPLY MY COMMENT!

thepsynergist
February 9th, 2011, 06:40 PM
i am making a champion battle, but i want to do after it things like: Professor coming and saying that you are the champ, or other events, if you found help, REPLY MY COMMENT!

Just add more to the event after the battle.

tylerab01
February 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Man i need to get the battle to work :(

KitsuneKouta
February 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Man i need to get the battle to work :(If none of our suggestions have worked, your only real option is to start with a fresh kit and put whatever you have now into it. There's no real reason it shouldn't work, and it's been verified that it works in each of the available kits.

TheMarkCrafter
February 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Just add more to the event after the battle.
Yeah, but i am adding the:-
Battle: (what he says in the beginning)
Type:CHAMP
Name: (champion's name)
EndSpeech: What he says in the end
EndBattle: Ending of the battle
I'm not adding Contidinal Branch

Man i need to get the battle to work :(

Add these

Comment:Battle: (what he/she says in battle)
Comment:Type: (trainer type)
Comment:Name: (trainer name)
Comment:EndSpeech: (before he/she gives you money)
Comment:EndBattle: (after battle)

Before this you must go to editor, Edit Trainers, or Trainer Types, if Types: set up a new type, it says add a pic at Graphics/Battlers/trainerXXX.png
XXX is the number it told you to write, if you want to edit the Music of Battle, go to edit BGM, and select the music you want. If Edit Trainers: Click NEW TRAINER BATTLE and select existing type, and if a new type click the other one and write it's name, Pokemon, Pokemon Level, etc.. it'll help

KittenCry66
February 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Right...I changed the last number to 2 but the trainer still blocks it?

My PBS code looks like this:
1,MASTERBALL,Master Ball,3,0,The best Ball with the ultimate level of performance. It will catch any wild Pokémon without fail.,0,2,2,
2,ULTRABALL,Ultra Ball,3,1200,An ultra-performance Ball that provides a higher Pokémon catch rate than a Great Ball.,0,2,2,
3,GREATBALL,Great Ball,3,600,"A good, high-performance Ball that provides a higher Pokémon catch rate than a standard Poké Ball.",0,2,2,
4,POKeBALL,Poké Ball,3,200,A device for catching wild Pokémon. It is thrown like a ball at the target. It is designed as a capsule system.,0,2,2,
5,SAFARIBALL,Safari Ball,3,0,A special Poké Ball that is used only in the Great Marsh. It is decorated in a camouflage pattern.,0,2,2,
6,NETBALL,Net Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Poké Ball that works especially well on Water- and Bug-type Pokémon.,0,2,2,
7,DIVEBALL,Dive Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Poké Ball that works especially well on Pokémon that live in the sea.,0,2,2,
8,NESTBALL,Nest Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Poké Ball that works especially well on weaker Pokémon in the wild.,0,2,2,
9,REPEATBALL,Repeat Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Poké Ball that works especially well on Pokémon species that were previously caught.,0,2,2,
10,TIMERBALL,Timer Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Ball that becomes progressively better the more turns there are in a battle.,0,2,2,
11,LUXURYBALL,Luxury Ball,3,1000,A comfortable Poké Ball that makes a caught wild Pokémon quickly grow friendly.,0,2,2,
12,PREMIERBALL,Premier Ball,3,200,A somewhat rare Poké Ball that has been specially made to commemorate an event of some sort.,0,2,2,
13,DUSKBALL,Dusk Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Poké Ball that makes it easier to catch wild Pokémon at night or in dark places like caves.,0,2,2,
14,HEALBALL,Heal Ball,3,300,A remedial Poké Ball that restores the caught Pokémon’s HP and eliminates any status problem.,0,2,2,
15,QUICKBALL,Quick Ball,3,1000,A somewhat different Poké Ball that provides a better catch rate if it is used at the start of a wild encounter.,0,2,2,
16,CHERISHBALL,Cherish Ball,3,200,A quite rare Poké Ball that has been specially crafted to commemorate an occasion of some sort.,0,2,2,

Maruno
February 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but i am adding the:-
Battle: (what he says in the beginning)
Type:CHAMP
Name: (champion's name)
EndSpeech: What he says in the end
EndBattle: Ending of the battle I'm not adding Contidinal Branch
Yes, but when the game compiles the event is filled in with the proper commands. There's a conditional branch in there, and your extra stuff goes into it.

When you add anything to a trainer event you made using comments, you should delete the comments. Otherwise the game will just recompile the standard trainer commands over your changes.

Right...I changed the last number to 2 but the trainer still blocks it?

My PBS code looks like this:
Some prat gave you the wrong number. Make it 3 instead.

KittenCry66
February 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks Maruno!

It works now!

TheMarkCrafter
February 12th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Maruno! Help!!!!!
See this:

(eval):1: Illegal octal digit
pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::090_Champion,"Chris",_I("Wow,you defeated me, cool! Now, lets go in a place called: Hall of Fame"),false,0)
^
(eval):1: trailing `_' in number
pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::090_Champion,"Chris",_I("Wow,you defeated me, cool! Now, lets go in a place called: Hall of Fame"),false,0)
^
(eval):1: syntax error
^

***Full script:

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

FL
February 12th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Also where can i get the icon folder that is fixed?The seventh field in trainernames.txt
Optional. The music effect (ME) that plays before the battle begins.
If blank, the default ME is used.
Note that, since MEs have a higher priority than BGMs, the ME will play until the end before allowing the BGM to start, even if the ME is so long it will continue playing during the battle. To get around this, leave this section blank and edit the trainer event to play a BGM of that same music, and then wait until it has finished before initialising the battle.I suggest that you checks the wiki when you are in doubt.
If this is how you're using it, you'd be better off storing the item's number rather than its name. Use the following:

$game_variables[31]=PBItems::POTION
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(pbGet(31))Thank you. I can use PBItems.getName(item) to gets the name.
Maruno! Help!!!!!
See this:
Pokemon Manga

(eval):1: Illegal octal digit
^
(eval):1: trailing `_' in number
^
(eval):1: syntax error
^

***Full script:

I THINK that internal name can't start with a number
loop do
(command==1 || command==-1) ? pbPCItemStorage : break
command=Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Exit?"),[_INTL("YES"),_INTL("NO")],-1)
end

Bill™
February 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM

TYVM

I'm sorry for being rude earlier, but could someone please help me?
Thanks

FL
February 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
There some scripts and corretions that I made. Feel free to put all in the Essentials Wiki. Enjoy:

Choose trainer gender in in-game trades
In the essentials, all of in-game trade trainer are male (see the traded pokémon OT), but I created a script to choose this and put with wiki script for hold items.
In PokemonTrading, where is:
def pbStartTrade(pokemonIndex,species,nickname,trainerName)
myPokemon=$Trainer.party[pokemonIndex]
opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerName,0)
opponent.setForeignID($Trainer)
yourPokemon=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,myPokemon.level,opponent)
yourPokemon.name=nickname
yourPokemon.obtainMode=2
yourPokemon.obtainMap=$game_map ? $game_map.map_id : 0
$Trainer.seen[species]=true
$Trainer.owned[species]=true
pbFadeOutInWithMusic(99999){
evo=PokemonTradeScene.new
evo.pbStartScreen(myPokemon,yourPokemon,$Trainer.name,opponent.name)
evo.pbTrade
evo.pbEndScreen
}
$Trainer.party[pokemonIndex]=yourPokemon
end

def pbStartTrade(pokemonIndex,species,nickname,trainerName,holditem=0,trainerGender=0)
opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerName,trainerGender)#0 for man and 1 for woman
yourPokemon.item=holditem
yourPokemon.obtainMode=2 # obtained in trade
evo.pbTrade
evo.pbEndScreen
}
end

To call put:
pbStartTrade(pbGet(1),
PBSpecies::HAUNTER,
"HAHA","FANTINA",PBItems::EVERSTONE,1
)If you don't want a hold item, put "0" instead of "PBItems::EVERSTONE".
In the last field is "0" to man and "1" to woman.
The old call code also work.

How to make Gen IV incenses to work
A simple code that I make to put incense for the Gen4 babies. Below the line
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:MARILL) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:SEAINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:SEAINCENSE)
Put:

elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:MIMEJR) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MIMEJR) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MR_MIME)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:MR_MIME) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:ODDINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:ODDINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:BONSLY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:BONSLY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:SUDOWOODO)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:SUDOWOODO) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:ROCKINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:ROCKINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:MUNCHLAX) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MUNCHLAX) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:SNORLAX)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:SNORLAX) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:FULLINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:FULLINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:MANTYKE) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MANTYKE) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MANTINE)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:MANTINE) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:WAVEINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:WAVEINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:BUDEW) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:BUDEW) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:ROSELIA)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:ROSELIA) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:ROSEINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:ROSEINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:HAPPINY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:HAPPINY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:CHANSEY)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:CHANSEY) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:LUCKINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:LUCKINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:CHINGLING) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:CHINGLING) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:CHIMECHO)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:CHIMECHO) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:PUREINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:PUREINCENSE)

Choose item like pbChoosePokemon
I made a Choose item like the pbChoosePokemon. I very good to things like revive the fossils. Put this code above main:
#Call NeoCI.ChooseItem
#Return the item internal number or 0 if canceled
module NeoCI
def self.ChooseItem()
pbToneChangeAll(Tone.new(-255,-255,-255),8)
pbWait(16)
itemscene=PokemonBag_Scene.new
itemscene.pbStartScene($PokemonBag)
item=itemscene.pbChooseItem
itemscene.pbEndScene
pbToneChangeAll(Tone.new(-255,-255,-255),0)
pbToneChangeAll(Tone.new(0,0,0),6)
return item
end
end

Battle background for Day/Night
XXX=Terrain name
YYY=Terrain night name
ZZZ=Terrain night number

Edit on PBEnvironment (script) and below "Sand=8" put for every YYY:
YYY=ZZZ
And place in Pictures folder:
Graphics/Pictures/battlebgZZZ.png
Graphics/Pictures/playerbaseZZZ.png
Graphics/Pictures/enemybaseZZZ.png

In around line 1111 on PokemonField (script) substitute every
return PBEnvironment::XXX
for
time=Time.now
if PBDayNight.isDay?
else
return PBEnvironment::YYY
end

Around line 1337 in PokeBattle_ActualScene, after a line like "id=9" put:
when PBEnvironment::YYY
id=ZZZ

Evolution Stone that activates trade evolution
To create a stone that activate the trade evolution (even the hold item ones) in PokemonDefaultItems around line 600 change
newspecies=pbCheckEvolution(pokemon,item)
to
if item!=(PBItems::LINKSTONE)
else
newspecies=pbTradeCheckEvolution(pokemon)
end
and after ":WATERSTONE," put ":LINKSTONE,"
You must copy and paste a stone in items.txt and chage its internal name to LINKSTONE or other name if you don't use the name LINKSTONE.

Enable to don't lose money when lose a battle
To put a switch that when ON you don't lose money when lose a battle, in PokeBattle_Battle, around line 820 put moneylost=0 if $game_switches[36] above "self.pbPlayer.money-=moneylost" put:
moneylost=0 if $game_switches[SWITCHNUMBER]
Where SWITCHNUMBER is the switch number.

Run in anyplace
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
change to
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end

carmaniac
February 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry for being rude earlier, but could someone please help me?
Thanks

You know that's rather simple eventing, if you want music to play make it so that you use a command called play ME just before the text command then use stop ME to stop it after the text command.

Canderis
February 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
How would I go about making a new pokegear app that shows messages the game sends? A quest journal if you will.

TACHAN
February 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi!
I´m need help. I´m have a problem in my game.
I´m put new effects in PokeBattle_MoveEffect, but the MoveEffect 117 cause ERROR...

Mapeo

Message: (eval):1:in `pbFromPBMove'uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Move::PokeBattle_Move_117

In other number effect previous to 117 works.

Sorry for my english if don`t understand me.

FL
February 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi!
I´m need help. I´m have a problem in my game.
I´m put new effects in PokeBattle_MoveEffect, but the MoveEffect 117 cause ERROR...

In other number effect previous to 117 works.

Sorry for my english if don`t understand me.Are you using a version before 2010 May? These versions don't had a fix to unimplemented moves work.
If you do, in "PokeBattle_Move", in the end change

def PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(battle,move)
move=PBMove.new(0) if !move
movedata=PBMoveData.new(move.id)
return eval(sprintf("PokeBattle_Move_%02X.new(battle,move)",
movedata.function)) rescue PokeBattle_FailedMove.new(battle,move)
end

To:

def PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(battle,move)
move=PBMove.new(0) if !move
movedata=PBMoveData.new(move.id)
className=sprintf("PokeBattle_Move_%02X",movedata.function)
if Object.const_defined?(className)
return Kernel.const_get(className).new(battle,move)
else
return PokeBattle_UnimplementedMove.new(battle,move)
end
end

And around line 34 in "PokeBattle_MoveEffects" put

# Superclass for an unimplemented move. If it's a damaging move
# it has no additional effect. If it's a nondamaging move, it always fails.
class PokeBattle_UnimplementedMove < PokeBattle_Move
def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
if @basedamage>0
return super(attacker,opponent)
else
@battle.pbDisplay("But it failed!")
return -1
end
end
end
Both codes are made by poccil.

Conan Edogawa
February 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I've been considering moving my game to a different version of Essentials because the January version lags for me, which version would you guys suggest?

TACHAN
February 12th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Are you using a version before 2010 May? These versions don't had a fix to unimplemented moves work.

Both codes are made by poccil.

Thanks you very much for the help! Now it works perfectly and without errors! :D:D:D

FL
February 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've been considering moving my game to a different version of Essentials because the January version lags for me, which version would you guys suggest?I thinks that 3th April had the least lag for 2010 versions.
Checks this page for how to fix some of bugs of this version: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6389144#post6389144

thepsynergist
February 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
The oldest one I have is the May Version on my old hard drive.

TheMarkCrafter
February 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM
how can i make an event follows the player?

FL
February 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM
how can i make an event follows the player?In autonomous movement in event active page put "Approach"

TheMarkCrafter
February 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
In autonomous movement in event active page put "Approach"

Another information, sir?

Maruno
February 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
There some scripts and corretions that I made. Feel free to put all in the Essentials Wiki. Enjoy:

Choose trainer gender in in-game trades
In the essentials, all of in-game trade trainer are male (see the traded pokémon OT), but I created a script to choose this and put with wiki script for hold items.
In PokemonTrading, where is:
def pbStartTrade(pokemonIndex,species,nickname,trainerName)
opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerName,0)
yourPokemon.obtainMode=2
evo.pbTrade
evo.pbEndScreen
}
enddef pbStartTrade(pokemonIndex,species,nickname,trainerName,holditem=0,trainerGender=0)
opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerName,trainerGender)#0 for man and 1 for woman
yourPokemon.item=holditem
yourPokemon.obtainMode=2 # obtained in trade
evo.pbTrade
evo.pbEndScreen
}
endTo call put:
pbStartTrade(pbGet(1),
PBSpecies::HAUNTER,
"HAHA","FANTINA",PBItems::EVERSTONE,1
)If you don't want a hold item, put "0" instead of "PBItems::EVERSTONE".
In the last field is "0" to man and "1" to woman.
The old call code also work.
I've added this modification, although in my own words. I've removed the held item references, because that's mentioned elsewhere in the same article (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trading_Pok%C3%A9mon).

How to make Gen IV incenses to work
A simple code that I make to put incense for the Gen4 babies. Below the line
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:MARILL) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:SEAINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:SEAINCENSE)Put:

elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:MIMEJR) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MIMEJR) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MR_MIME)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:MR_MIME) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:ODDINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:ODDINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:BONSLY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:BONSLY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:SUDOWOODO)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:SUDOWOODO) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:ROCKINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:ROCKINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:MUNCHLAX) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MUNCHLAX) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:SNORLAX)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:SNORLAX) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:FULLINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:FULLINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:MANTYKE) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MANTYKE) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:MANTINE)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:MANTINE) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:WAVEINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:WAVEINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:BUDEW) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:BUDEW) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:ROSELIA)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:ROSELIA) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:ROSEINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:ROSEINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:HAPPINY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:HAPPINY) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:CHANSEY)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:CHANSEY) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:LUCKINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:LUCKINCENSE)
elsif isConst?(babyspecies,PBSpecies,:CHINGLING) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:CHINGLING) &&
hasConst?(PBSpecies,:CHIMECHO)
babyspecies=getConst(PBSpecies,:CHIMECHO) if !isConst?(mother.item,PBItems,:PUREINCENSE) && !isConst?(father.item,PBItems,:PUREINCENSE)

You can make a simple tutorial out of that.

Choose item like pbChoosePokemon
I made a Choose item like the pbChoosePokemon. I very good to things like revive the fossils. Put this code above main:
#Call NeoCI.ChooseItem
#Return the item internal number or 0 if canceled
module NeoCI
def self.ChooseItem()
pbToneChangeAll(Tone.new(-255,-255,-255),8)
pbWait(16)
itemscene=PokemonBag_Scene.new
itemscene.pbStartScene($PokemonBag)
item=itemscene.pbChooseItem
itemscene.pbEndScene
pbToneChangeAll(Tone.new(-255,-255,-255),0)
pbToneChangeAll(Tone.new(0,0,0),6)
return item
end
end
I'm surprised we don't already have that. You can make it a tutorial related to the main Items page.

Battle background for Day/Night
XXX=Terrain name
YYY=Terrain night name
ZZZ=Terrain night number

Edit on PBEnvironment (script) and below "Sand=8" put for every YYY:
YYY=ZZZ
And place in Pictures folder:
Graphics/Pictures/battlebgZZZ.png
Graphics/Pictures/playerbaseZZZ.png
Graphics/Pictures/enemybaseZZZ.png

In around line 1111 on PokemonField (script) substitute every
return PBEnvironment::XXXfor
time=Time.now
if PBDayNight.isDay?
else
return PBEnvironment::YYY
endAround line 1337 in PokeBattle_ActualScene, after a line like "id=9" put:
when PBEnvironment::YYY
id=ZZZ
As soon as the Backgrounds and music page is made, this information can go into it.

Evolution Stone that activates trade evolution
To create a stone that activate the trade evolution (even the hold item ones) in PokemonDefaultItems around line 600 change
newspecies=pbCheckEvolution(pokemon,item)to
if item!=(PBItems::LINKSTONE)
else
newspecies=pbTradeCheckEvolution(pokemon)
endand after ":WATERSTONE," put ":LINKSTONE,"
You must copy and paste a stone in items.txt and chage its internal name to LINKSTONE or other name if you don't use the name LINKSTONE.
Again, tutorial material.

Enable to don't lose money when lose a battle
To put a switch that when ON you don't lose money when lose a battle, in PokeBattle_Battle, around line 820 put moneylost=0 if $game_switches[36] above "self.pbPlayer.money-=moneylost" put:
moneylost=0 if $game_switches[SWITCHNUMBER]Where SWITCHNUMBER is the switch number.
Tutorial.

Run in anyplace
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
endchange to
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
def pbCanRun?
$PokemonGlobal &&
(
) &&
!@move_route_forcing &&
!$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
This is just wrong. The only thing you do with this edit is to stop the player from running in caves. To let them run anywhere, you should remove the whole bit in brackets, rather than just the cave part of it. Besides, if anything, you'd be more likely to be able to "run" while cycling (i.e. change gears) than while surfing.

And also, tutorial.

Tutorials are for anything that is added onto the basic Essentials, rather than fixing what's already there. Bug fixes and feature completion go in articles, and tutorials have their own pages.

FL
February 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Another information, sir?Other method to make this? Fine. Put custom movimentation and put only one "Move toward Player". Mark the "Repeat Action" box.

I've added this modification, although in my own words. I've removed the held item references, because that's mentioned elsewhere in the same article (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trading_Pok%C3%A9mon).

You can make a simple tutorial out of that.

I'm surprised we don't already have that. You can make it a tutorial related to the main Items page.

As soon as the Backgrounds and music page is made, this information can go into it.

Again, tutorial material.

Tutorial.

This is just wrong. The only thing you do with this edit is to stop the player from running in caves. To let them run anywhere, you should remove the whole bit in brackets, rather than just the cave part of it. Besides, if anything, you'd be more likely to be able to "run" while cycling (i.e. change gears) than while surfing.

And also, tutorial.

Tutorials are for anything that is added onto the basic Essentials, rather than fixing what's already there. Bug fixes and feature completion go in articles, and tutorials have their own pages.At first I was afraid to write in wiki because I write pretty bad (you can see in my posts). But in a wiki I can have support of other people to make these things.
Okay, I make these tutorials when I have some time.

HankMan
February 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Pokemon Essentials

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1569:in `each_line'

Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2163:in `open'

Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

C:\Users\SuperDryBones9000\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

that error message is driving me crazy, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with my Arceus script, see?
[493]
Name=ARCEUS
InternalName=ARCEUS
Kind=Alpha
Pokedex=It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Type1=NORMAL
BaseStats=120,120,120,120,120,120
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=2040
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=PRESSURE
WildItemCommon=ORIDECON
Compatibility=15,15
Height=3.2
Weight=320.0
GenderRate=AlwaysMale
Moves=1,SEISMICTOSS,1,COSMICPOWER,1,HIDDENPOWER,1,DRAGONRAGE,10,ROLEPLAY,20,SHADOWBALL,30,HYPERVOICE,40,EXTREMESPEED,50,REFRESH,60,FUTURESIGHT,70,RECOVER,80,HYPERBEAM,90,PERISHSONG,100,SKULLBASH
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=1
BattlerEnemyY=1
BattlerAltitude=0

help pls

Pokemon Essentials

OK

that error message is driving me crazy, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with my Arceus script, see?
[493]
Name=ARCEUS
InternalName=ARCEUS
Kind=Alpha
Pokedex=It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Type1=NORMAL
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=2040
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=PRESSURE
WildItemCommon=ORIDECON
Compatibility=15,15
Height=3.2
Weight=320.0
GenderRate=AlwaysMale
Moves=1,SEISMICTOSS,1,COSMICPOWER,1,HIDDENPOWER,1,DRAGONRAGE,10,ROLEPLAY,20,SHADOWBALL,30,HYPERVOICE,40,EXTREMESPEED,50,REFRESH,60,FUTURESIGHT,70,RECOVER,80,HYPERBEAM,90,PERISHSONG,100,SKULLBASH
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=1
BattlerEnemyY=1
BattlerAltitude=0

help pls

Maruno
February 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
At first I was afraid to write in wiki because I write pretty bad (you can see in my posts). But in a wiki I can have support of other people to make these things.
Okay, I make these tutorials when I have some time.
Don't be afraid of contributing to the wiki. Other people can cover for things like gaps in knowledge, poor grammar and wording. That's the beauty of a wiki.

Please remember that tutorials should have their own pages - don't add your info into the articles.

Pokemon Essentials

OK
---------------------------that error message is driving me crazy, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with my Arceus script, see?
[493]
Name=ARCEUS
InternalName=ARCEUS
Kind=Alpha
Type1=NORMAL
Rareness=3
BaseEXP=2040
Happiness=0
GrowthRate=Slow
StepsToHatch=30720
Color=Gray
EffortPoints=3,0,0,0,0,0
Abilities=PRESSURE
WildItemCommon=ORIDECON
Compatibility=15,15
Height=3.2
Weight=320.0
GenderRate=AlwaysMale
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=1
BattlerEnemyY=1
BattlerAltitude=0help pls
Please make your post look nicer in future (like I've done just now when I quoted you). Your post was hard to read.

This error keeps coming around. It means that some property of Arceus hasn't been defined, yet it's trying to use it. My guess is that you haven't added in the "Oridecon" item yet.

It only says there's a problem with "WildItemRare" because that's the last thing the game compiles for each species. It could actually be a problem with any property of that species.

Ivee
February 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I looked in the wiki and didn't see this mentioned. When editing/making new moves, is sound and contact taken into consideration? Also, where is the data for abilites?

Maruno
February 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I looked in the wiki and didn't see this mentioned. When editing/making new moves, is sound and contact taken into consideration? Also, where is the data for abilites?
Whether or not a move makes contact is set by a move's flag (specifically, the "a" flag). If a move has the "a" flag, it makes contact.

Whether or not a move is sound-based is only important when it comes to the Soundproof ability. References to that ability are scattered throughout the scripts. The main reference you would probably want, though, is in PokeBattle_Battler, around line 1011, which is a list of all sound-based moves. The other references in the scripts relate to Heal Bell (and Chatter) and the lingering effects of Perish Song and Uproar. I've gone into more detail about this in the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Move_effects) now - thanks for reminding me about sound-based moves.

The scripts that describe how abilities work are scattered all over the place. Abilities can have so many completely different effects that it'd just be ridiculous to try to lump them all together. Just search for the ones you want to look at, and see what you find.

Ivee
February 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks very much. I saw some of the abilities in different areas, so I will try harder to search.

dewm3734
February 17th, 2011, 06:45 PM
THIS STARTER KIT IS AWESOME!!
Thanks so much Poccil, Maruno, did you write up most of the wiki?

Maruno
February 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM
THIS STARTER KIT IS AWESOME!!
Thanks so much Poccil, Maruno, did you write up most of the wiki?
Most of it, yes. I'd rather other people contribute too, though - that's the whole point of it being a wiki.

Qig
February 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Earlier in this thread, someone in this thread reported a problem where if a Pokemon leveled up and wasn't the active pokemon in the battle at the time, that Pokemon wouldn't learn a move if it was suppose to.

I'm currently having this problem, and it's a fairly annoying, especially since I'm close to releasing the first demo of my game, so I was wondering if someone ever created a fix to this bug.

EDIT: I was able to fix the problem by copying the part about leveling and gaining EXP in the PokeBattle_Battle script from an older version of essentials to my game.

AmaranthProject
February 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Just a quick question. How do I enable the "Press Start" animated text on the splash screen? Seems to be disabled on the recent releases.....

FL
February 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Just a quick question. How do I enable the "Press Start" animated text on the splash screen? Seems to be disabled on the recent releases.....Try to change the Scene_Intro for the old one:
#==============================================================================
# Splash Screen
# Sephiroth Spawn
# 01.08.06
# Version 2
# Modified by Harshboy/Flameguru
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Call Using $scene = Scene_Intro.new([pics], splash_screen)

# ** Scene_Intro

class Scene_Intro
# * Object Initialization
def initialize(pics, splash = nil)
@pics, @splash = pics, splash
end
def setTitle(sprite,title)
@cache={} if !@cache
if @currentTitle!=title
sprite.setBitmap("Graphics/Titles/#{title}")
@currentTitle=title
end
end
# * Main Processing
def main
# Loads Data System and Game System
data_system = pbLoadRxData("Data/System")
# Loads the Title.mid in Audio/BGM
pbBGMPlay(data_system.title_bgm)
# Instance Variables
@item, @speed, @o_speed, @phase = 0, 15, 20, 0
# Background Images
@sprite = IconSprite.new(0,0)
setTitle(@sprite, @pics[@item])
@sprite.opacity = 5
# Start Logo
@start = IconSprite.new(0,0)
setTitle(@start,"Start")
@start.y, @start.z, @start.opacity = 260, 10, 0 #250
# Execute transition
Graphics.transition
# Main loop
while $scene == self
# Update game screen
Graphics.update
# Update input information
Input.update
# Frame update
@sprite.update
case @phase
when 0; intro_update # Into Updating
when 1; splash_update # Splash Updating
when 2; to_splash_update # From Intro To Splash Transition
when 3; to_title_update # From Splash to Title Transtion
when 4; toDeleteUpdate
end
end
# Prepare for transition
Graphics.freeze
# Dispose of Sprites
if @cache
for i in @cache.values
i.dispose
end
end
@sprite.dispose
@start.dispose
end
# * Frame Update : Intro Images
def intro_update
# If C is pressed
if Input.trigger?(Input::C) && @speed>=0
@phase = @splash.nil? ? 3 : 2
end
# Updates Sprite Opacity
@sprite.opacity += @speed
# Changes Direction
@speed *= -1 if @sprite.opacity >= 255
# Change Sprite
if @sprite.opacity <= 0
@item += 1
@speed *= -1
@item == @pics.size ?
@phase = @splash.nil? ? 3 : 2 :
setTitle(@sprite,@pics[@item])
end
end
# * Frame Update : Splash Image
def splash_update
# If C is pressed
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
@phase = 3
end
if Input.press?(Input::DOWN) &&
Input.press?(Input::CTRL) &&
Input.press?(Input::B)
@phase=4
end
# Loads Sprite Splash Bitmap
setTitle(@sprite,@splash)
# Updates Start Logo Opacity
@start.opacity += @o_speed
# Changes Direction
@o_speed *= -1 if @start.opacity >= 255 || @start.opacity <= 0
# Updates Splash
@sprite.opacity += @speed if @sprite.opacity < 255
end
# * Frame Update : Intro To Splash Transistion
def to_splash_update
@sprite.opacity > 0 ? @sprite.opacity -= @speed : @phase = 1
end
# * Frame Update : Splash To Title Transistion
def to_title_update
# Decrease Splash Opacity
@sprite.opacity -= @speed if @sprite.opacity > 0
# Decresh Start Logo Opacity
@start.opacity -= @speed if @start.opacity > 0
# Proceed to Title Screen
if @sprite.opacity <= 0 && @start.opacity <= 0
pbBGMStop()
sscene=PokemonLoadScene.new
sscreen=PokemonLoad.new(sscene)
sscreen.pbStartLoadScreen
end
end
def toDeleteUpdate
pbBGMStop()
sscreen.pbStartDeleteScreen
end
end
end

AmaranthProject
February 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Try to change the Scene_Intro for the old one:
# Splash Screen
# Sephiroth Spawn
# 01.08.06
# Version 2
# Modified by Harshboy/Flameguru
# Call Using $scene = Scene_Intro.new([pics], splash_screen)

# ** Scene_Intro

class Scene_Intro
# * Object Initialization
def initialize(pics, splash = nil)
@pics, @splash = pics, splash
end
def setTitle(sprite,title)
@cache={} if !@cache
if @currentTitle!=title
sprite.setBitmap("Graphics/Titles/#{title}")
@currentTitle=title
end
end
# * Main Processing
def main
# Loads Data System and Game System
data_system = pbLoadRxData("Data/System")
# Loads the Title.mid in Audio/BGM
pbBGMPlay(data_system.title_bgm)
# Instance Variables
# Background Images
@sprite = IconSprite.new(0,0)
setTitle(@sprite, @pics[@item])
@sprite.opacity = 5
# Start Logo
@start = IconSprite.new(0,0)
setTitle(@start,"Start")
@start.y, @start.z, @start.opacity = 260, 10, 0 #250
# Execute transition
Graphics.transition
# Main loop
while $scene == self
# Update game screen
Graphics.update
# Update input information
Input.update
# Frame update
@sprite.update
case @phase
when 0; intro_update # Into Updating
when 1; splash_update # Splash Updating
when 2; to_splash_update # From Intro To Splash Transition
when 3; to_title_update # From Splash to Title Transtion
when 4; toDeleteUpdate
end
end
# Prepare for transition
Graphics.freeze
# Dispose of Sprites
if @cache
for i in @cache.values
i.dispose
end
end
@sprite.dispose
@start.dispose
end
# * Frame Update : Intro Images
def intro_update
# If C is pressed
end
# Updates Sprite Opacity
# Changes Direction
# Change Sprite
if @sprite.opacity <= 0
@item += 1
@speed *= -1
@item == @pics.size ?
end
end
# * Frame Update : Splash Image
def splash_update
# If C is pressed
if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
@phase = 3
end
if Input.press?(Input::DOWN) &&
Input.press?(Input::CTRL) &&
Input.press?(Input::B)
@phase=4
end
# Loads Sprite Splash Bitmap
setTitle(@sprite,@splash)
# Updates Start Logo Opacity
@start.opacity += @o_speed
# Changes Direction
@o_speed *= -1 if @start.opacity >= 255 || @start.opacity <= 0
# Updates Splash
@sprite.opacity += @speed if @sprite.opacity < 255
end
# * Frame Update : Intro To Splash Transistion
def to_splash_update
@sprite.opacity > 0 ? @sprite.opacity -= @speed : @phase = 1
end
# * Frame Update : Splash To Title Transistion
def to_title_update
pbBGMStop()
sscreen.pbStartLoadScreen
end
end
def toDeleteUpdate
pbBGMStop()
sscreen.pbStartDeleteScreen
end
end
end

Worked like a charm, thanks!

One more quick question. How can I remove the fading out transition when the title screen changes?
For example I would like ['Pic_1','Pic_2','Pic_3'] to consecutively change without having each fade out , so it looks smooth in terms of animation. Right now it looks as though the sprite opacity dictates when the title screen changes, as it looks like it is coded as a trigger...

FL
February 20th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Worked like a charm, thanks!

One more quick question. How can I remove the fading out transition when the title screen changes?
For example I would like ['Pic_1','Pic_2','Pic_3'] to consecutively change without having each fade out , so it looks smooth in terms of animation. Right now it looks as though the sprite opacity dictates when the title screen changes, as it looks like it is coded as a trigger...In Scene_Intro trade

for
@item, @speed, @o_speed, @phase = 0, 270, 20, 0
@delay=0
And the
def intro_update
# If C is pressed
end
# Updates Sprite Opacity
# Changes Direction
# Change Sprite
if @sprite.opacity <= 0
@item += 1
@speed *= -1
@item == @pics.size ?
end
end

For
def intro_update
delaymax=30
# If C is pressed
end
# Updates Sprite Opacity
@delay=0 if @sprite.opacity==5
if @sprite.opacity >= 255 && @delay<delaymax
@delay%2==0 ? @sprite.opacity += 1 : @sprite.opacity -= 1
@delay+=1
else
end
# Changes Direction
@speed *= -1 if @sprite.opacity >= 255 && @delay==delaymax
# Change Sprite
if @sprite.opacity <= 0
@item += 1
@speed *= -1
@item == @pics.size ?
end
end
You can change the line "delaymax=30" to other value if you like to the pictures to stay longer on screen.

Qig
February 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Ok, after fixing the problem I had previously, I've encountered another one - this one dealing with double battles.

I was able to fix the problem in double battles where only one Pokemon would attack, however now I'm encountering a new problem.

Whenever one the trainers (the enemy trainers or the partner I have registered for the battle) loses a Pokemon, they won't switch into there other Pokemon. After this happens, a bunch of different things will happen depending on what Pokemon fainted. If my partner loses a Pokemon, I can't attack, and one of the enemy trainers can't attack. If one of the enemy trainers lose a Pokemon me and the other enemy trainer can attack, but my partner can't attack.

EDIT: I was able to fix this problem by myself, also. meh

desbrina
February 20th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Ok, after fixing the problem I had previously, I've encountered another one - this one dealing with double battles.

I was able to fix the problem in double battles where only one Pokemon would attack, however now I'm encountering a new problem.

Whenever one the trainers (the enemy trainers or the partner I have registered for the battle) loses a Pokemon, they won't switch into there other Pokemon. After this happens, a bunch of different things will happen depending on what Pokemon fainted. If my partner loses a Pokemon, I can't attack, and one of the enemy trainers can't attack. If one of the enemy trainers lose a Pokemon me and the other enemy trainer can attack, but my partner can't attack.

EDIT: I was able to fix this problem by myself, also. meh

How did you manage it, i have the same problem?

Nick E. Paradise
February 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know a way to resize 80x80 sprites to 128x128 and keep the pixelation?

GliscorFan08
February 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for this. You are a very skillful coder Poccil.

Invokez
February 21st, 2011, 09:30 PM
Does anyone have a DPPt/BW move list, I recently updated my pokemon and they include the newer moves. Was just checking to see if anyone has already release a moves.txt that includes the newer moves. I have begun working on my own and If there are no complete versions I will continue mine and release it when done I guess. Let me know :) thanks in advance.

Just realized the latest version of essentials already has it. Will be upgrading my project hope it all goes well...

mysticjoshgaming
February 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
i try to go to a map that has the outside medata on it in rpg maker xp and it comes up with

Pokemon Essentials

i got rid of the other stuff

Invokez
February 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
The following error occurs...
Interpreter:509:in `command_end'
Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'
This occurs when I try to transfer the character from Oaks lab f2 to oaks lab f1. The transfer method is a basic warp/SE/screen displaye (Go to black screen) I isolated it to this event due to I can still warp to the map from pallet town or via debug menu just not from the second floor. I am not sure what could be the cause of this. The only other events are a basic move player and give player pokemon/pokedex event. It was working fine until I upgraded to my more recent version of poccils kit (the most recent revision of it) any ideas on how to fix it?

Also I can warp from f1 to f2 no problems, just when I try to go back to f1 this happens. Im pretty sure its a simple error but idk...

KitsuneKouta
February 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
i try to go to a map that has the outside medata on it in rpg maker xp and it comes up with

Pokemon Essentials

i got rid of the other stuffAs far as I'm aware, that's a problem that a certain version(s) of Essentials has. You'll need to switch to a different one, since I don't know that anyone has actually fixed the error in that version. Of course, it looks like you could go through and remove the day/night system to fix it, but you probably don't want to do that. On a side note, thanks for condensing the error. No one does that for some reason.

@Invokez: if it's just that one event that's causing the problem, then I'd recommend removing the event and remaking it. If that doesn't work (which it probably won't), you may want to downgrade back to an older version of essentials. So I'd find the version you used before and get the Scripts.rxdata file out of the Data folder and put it in the project you have now, that way you don't lose the updated move list or anything. I'm not 100% on the compatibility though.

Invokez
February 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
IDK why only that one warp wont work and the others are fully functional :/ Ill try to remove/remake it then if that doesnt work I will attempt to downgrade.... Thankfully I have this all backed up just in case.

EDIT:Tried to switch out the warp with a pre-existing one that worked and it still gave the error. Switched out the script data and it works again. So all is good I guess.

mysticjoshgaming
February 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
As far as I'm aware, that's a problem that a certain version(s) of Essentials has. You'll need to switch to a different one, since I don't know that anyone has actually fixed the error in that version. Of course, it looks like you could go through and remove the day/night system to fix it, but you probably don't want to do that. On a side note, thanks for condensing the error. No one does that for some reason.

@Invokez: if it's just that one event that's causing the problem, then I'd recommend removing the event and remaking it. If that doesn't work (which it probably won't), you may want to downgrade back to an older version of essentials. So I'd find the version you used before and get the Scripts.rxdata file out of the Data folder and put it in the project you have now, that way you don't lose the updated move list or anything. I'm not 100% on the compatibility though.
thanks. i switched to an older one. flying doesn't seem to work. in the medata i set it up at one point. i try to fly there but it doesn't work.

KitsuneKouta
February 22nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
thanks. i switched to an older one. flying doesn't seem to work. in the medata i set it up at one point. i try to fly there but it doesn't work.That problem was touched on a while back, so I don't really remember all the particulars, but make sure you have healing spots set up for each of the outdoor maps, and use the townmapgen thing. The latter can be a bit difficult if you don't do everything EXACTLY right. It took me a while to get fly destinations working when I first tried it out. So try out those two things, and you should be good to go.

Mrchewy
February 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I've got a bit of a problem, and I think that a script could help me out here.

I've just finished reorganising the Pokédex for my game - cutting it down from 493 to 200. This includes reordering, replacing and outright removing certain Pokémon.

I've edited Pokemon.txt to reflect these changes, and it all works well. The big problem though: renaming, reorginising and removing the cries and graphics so they match up with the new Pokdex numbers.

I started to do this manually, but a few hours later I realised this would be a monumental task. So I thought that a script could do what I wanted to achieve. I was thinking something like this...

Store the Pokedex number and name of all the Pokemon from an unedited pokemon.txt (as well as indexing this information with files in an unedited Battlers and SE folder). Essentially, to store information from the old pokemon.txt based on Pokemon names rather than numbers. Let's call this information...

Old_ID (the main identifier, used to find which cry/graphic belongs to which pkmn)
Old_Name
Old_Cry
Old_Graphic1
Old_Graphic 2
Old_Graphic3
Old_Graphic4

Of course, in conjunction you'd have new folders/files like...

Old_Battlers
Old_SE
Old_pokemon.txt

Find the values from the CURRENT pokemon.txt, and where Current_Name = Old_Name, replace all graphics and sounds for that Pokemon, basically ignoring the new numbers. The idea is that this script is only run once.

I know it's a big ask, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out in writing such a script. It would be useful for anyone looking to rearrange the Pokedex, and would save dozens of man hours.

TheMarkCrafter
February 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
I want to reposit sprites and it tells me:

PokemonSpritePos:62:in `refresh'

PokemonSpritePos:181:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:174:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:194:in `pbSpecies'

PokemonSpritePos:300:in `pbStart'

PokemonSpritePos:299:in `loop'

PokemonSpritePos:307:in `pbStart'

EditorMain:236:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:234:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain:234:in `pbEditorMenu'

Maruno
February 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
I've got a bit of a problem, and I think that a script could help me out here.

I've just finished reorganising the Pokédex for my game - cutting it down from 493 to 200. This includes reordering, replacing and outright removing certain Pokémon.

I've edited Pokemon.txt to reflect these changes, and it all works well. The big problem though: renaming, reorginising and removing the cries and graphics so they match up with the new Pokdex numbers.

I started to do this manually, but a few hours later I realised this would be a monumental task. So I thought that a script could do what I wanted to achieve. I was thinking something like this...

Store the Pokedex number and name of all the Pokemon from an unedited pokemon.txt (as well as indexing this information with files in an unedited Battlers and SE folder). Essentially, to store information from the old pokemon.txt based on Pokemon names rather than numbers. Let's call this information...

Old_ID (the main identifier, used to find which cry/graphic belongs to which pkmn)
Old_Name
Old_Cry
Old_Graphic1
Old_Graphic 2
Old_Graphic3
Old_Graphic4

Of course, in conjunction you'd have new folders/files like...

Old_Battlers
Old_SE
Old_pokemon.txt

Find the values from the CURRENT pokemon.txt, and where Current_Name = Old_Name, replace all graphics and sounds for that Pokemon, basically ignoring the new numbers. The idea is that this script is only run once.

I know it's a big ask, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out in writing such a script. It would be useful for anyone looking to rearrange the Pokedex, and would save dozens of man hours.
Rather than do all that, you could just set up a regional Dex containing your 200 Pokémon, which relates to region 0. All Pokémon in "pokemon.txt" needs a "RegionalNumber" line, where the "junk" Pokémon have it equal to 0 (i.e. "not in this region").

This assumes your entire game has just the one region in it, although it's not difficult to make it work with more anyway. You can leave in the "junk" Pokémon just as they are, and simply not refer to them in any way (i.e. make encounters for them).

It's not as tidy as reorganising everything, and the game file will be larger than necessary (about 5MB, most of which are the cries; you can always delete the unused ones, though) but it's certainly quicker to do. Copy-paste is your friend.

mysticjoshgaming
February 23rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
That problem was touched on a while back, so I don't really remember all the particulars, but make sure you have healing spots set up for each of the outdoor maps, and use the townmapgen thing. The latter can be a bit difficult if you don't do everything EXACTLY right. It took me a while to get fly destinations working when I first tried it out. So try out those two things, and you should be good to go.
thanks. i will try. but the townmapgen thing doesn't really work for me.

KitsuneKouta
February 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
thanks. i will try. but the townmapgen thing doesn't really work for me.It didn't work for me very well at first either. The instructions didn't seem to be detailed enough, and remember that every little comma is important.

Mrchewy
February 24th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Thank you very much Maruno; can't believe I forgot about the regional Pokedexes. What's sad is that I had actually completed the majority of that script, lol. Overcomplication is bad indeed.
---------------------------------------------------------
I'm having another problem regarding something that's been in Essentials since the very beginning; jiggling events.

I'm not sure why it happens (it doesn't in normal RGXP games), but events in Essentials seem to 'lag' behind the player. Easy way to see it: create an NPC, set your screen size to small and walk around it. The NPC jiggles like crazy, almost as if the game is struggling to keep it aligned with the scrolling map.

You can notice it without resizing the screen, but its not as dramatic. For stuff like doors though it's really jarring, and I can't believe no one's mentioned it before.

I asked about this one a few years back, but have found no solution. Anyone have any ideas?

SytheXP
February 25th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Ok so I try to encounter random pokemon in the wild (trying to do a battle test essentially) and I recieve the following errors.

This occurs during normal play not play test.
Name Error occurred while running script.
uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Move::PokeBattle_Move_FE

Playtest error is here

Message: (eval):1:in `pbFromPBMove'uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Move::PokeBattle_Move_FE
PokeBattle_Move:644:in `pbFromPBMove'
PokeBattle_Battle:338:in `eval'
PokeBattle_Battle:338:in `initialize'
PokemonField:449:in `new'
PokemonField:449:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:776:in `pbOnStepTaken'
Game_Player_:447:in `update_old'
Walk_Run:66:in `update'
Scene_Map:101:in `update'
Message: (eval):1:in `pbFromPBMove'uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Move::PokeBattle_Move_FE
PokeBattle_Battle:338:in `eval'
PokeBattle_Battle:338:in `initialize'
PokemonField:449:in `new'
PokemonField:449:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:776:in `pbOnStepTaken'
Game_Player_:447:in `update_old'
Walk_Run:66:in `update'
Scene_Map:101:in `update'

Is this fixable and could someone walk me through it? I am guessing there is an undefined move/pokemon or a name conflict but Im not sure... Im not pro at scripting and definately not at reading the error messages...

Mrchewy
February 25th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Is this fixable and could someone walk me through it? I am guessing there is an undefined move/pokemon or a name conflict but Im not sure... Im not pro at scripting and definately not at reading the error messages...

That's not a normal error. If you tell us what scripts you've tried to edit than maybe we could help you out more.

SytheXP
February 25th, 2011, 06:49 AM
That's not a normal error. If you tell us what scripts you've tried to edit than maybe we could help you out more.

Only thing I have edited it resizing my window to be slightly larger. I am also using the most recent release with my scripts from the first release (that might be the cause)

Xx1ncit3xX
February 25th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Im working on a new game and i need some help with the battle system. Im using pokemon essentials as a base but i created some new trainers. They notice me and walk up and say an opening line but i cant figure out how to get the battle going. I created new trainers and gave them pokemon but when they come up to me and talk thats it, How do i script in a battle? Its the only thing holding me back from finishing my game. I have the map, the towns and cities, gyms, gym leaders champion league pretty much everything in the game is finished but the battles. Any help would be appreciated and if it works i will credit the people who help me.

carmaniac
February 25th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Im working on a new game and i need some help with the battle system. Im using pokemon essentials as a base but i created some new trainers. They notice me and walk up and say an opening line but i cant figure out how to get the battle going. I created new trainers and gave them pokemon but when they come up to me and talk thats it, How do i script in a battle? Its the only thing holding me back from finishing my game. I have the map, the towns and cities, gyms, gym leaders champion league pretty much everything in the game is finished but the battles. Any help would be appreciated and if it works i will credit the people who help me.

Did you look in the test maps, as they show pretty much everything you are asking in the events?

Cilerba
February 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Moved into the essentials thread where it belongs.

Xx1ncit3xX
February 25th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Yea i looked in the test maps and copied the script to some new trainers but where it says "script - pbTrainerinfo" I dont know how to change that according to the different trainers i use, the one in the test map is Team magma male but i want to change it to match the type of trainer im using.

SytheXP
February 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Yea i looked in the test maps and copied the script to some new trainers but where it says "script - pbTrainerinfo" I dont know how to change that according to the different trainers i use, the one in the test map is Team magma male but i want to change it to match the type of trainer im using.

Copy one of the trainer events from essentials. Double click it change the character graphic to the desired character graphic and then edit the trainer intro and what not to be your desired trainer. That should do it I will try to add pics later... Not feeling to good atm and idk why...

Maruno
February 25th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Moved into the essentials thread where it belongs.
I approve of this kind of modding. Much better than just locking the threads.

Check the wiki. (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers#Putting_the_trainer_in_the_game) Also, a little further down that article is a description of the actual code (not the comments), which can also help you understand what's going on.

Martinixon
February 25th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I need a little help with this:

Message: Script error within event 9, map 79 (Battle Palace):

Message: Section117:820:in `hasValidTeam?'undefined method `pbEachCombination' for #<PokemonRuleSet:0x8d4bb98>

***Full script:

!pbHasEligible?(3,100)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokemonOrgBattle:37:in `pbHasEligible?'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

Canderis
February 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
As the last time I asked, my question was ignored, how would I go about creating a "quest journal" chip for the pokegear? What i want is a menu where you can read quests you have accepted, nothing fancy. A two column menu, one side that you can go up and down, and one side you can scroll through with side to side that shows info on the open quest?

Mrchewy
February 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I need a little help with this:

Could you post a screenshot of the event-in-question? Would help us understand what you're trying to do and where you're going wrong.

As the last time I asked, my question was ignored, how would I go about creating a "quest journal" chip for the pokegear? What i want is a menu where you can read quests you have accepted, nothing fancy. A two column menu, one side that you can go up and down, and one side you can scroll through with side to side that shows info on the open quest?

You'd "go about" creating it just as you would any other scene in Essentials. What you're asking isn't exactly difficult; look at how the Pokegear scene itself is structured (or any other basic scene, like the Pokedex for example) and make your own based on that.

thepsynergist
February 25th, 2011, 11:06 PM

There is one already implemented in my game. But, I won't tell you how to do it, it's fairly simple.

Xx1ncit3xX
February 26th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks guys i think i have it now :) But now I have another problem, when i go to exit the players house in the game.exe it says

"Script'PokemonUtilities'line289: NoMethodError occurred
undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass"

Does anyone know what this means?

Mrchewy
February 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks guys i think i have it now :) But now I have another problem, when i go to exit the players house in the game.exe it says

"Script'PokemonUtilities'line289: NoMethodError occurred
undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass"

Does anyone know what this means?

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages

The Wiki is a wonderful resource and I suggest you use it more ;). Your error message is the very first one on that page.

Canderis
February 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I have absolutely no idea where I'd even look to start adding one. Where would I look?

Mrchewy
February 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I have absolutely no idea where I'd even look to start adding one. Where would I look?

You'd have to code a new scene in RGSS. If you know RGSS it's not too complicated, but if you don't... no one here is going to write it for you/teach you RGSS from scratch. It's assumed that you have at least a basic knowledge of RGSS before using the Starter Kit, that's why it's called a Starter Kit and not a Complete Kit.

I already told you where to look; look at how the scenes for Pokgear/Radio/Pokedex/etc. are created, and try to create something basic from that. Understand the basics like initialising menu indexes/selections, graphics, windows - that kind of thing. It's a lot simpler than it looks, and a few hours of messing around - even with no prior experience - can be very fruitful indeed.

Have you considered that, you know, perhaps you don't have the skills to implement such a system? This is a thought that doesn't cross the minds of a lot of people who come into this thread, lol.

Cilerba
February 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM
There is one already implemented in my game. But, I won't tell you how to do it, it's fairly simple.

Please refrain from posting if it's not going to contribute to the thread.

Canderis
February 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Have you considered that, you know, perhaps you don't have the skills to implement such a system? This is a thought that doesn't cross the minds of a lot of people who come into this thread, lol.

I already know I don't have the skills. Thats why i am here, to develop the skills.

I managed to add another icon to the pokedex and make it selectable. Do you know any tutorials on how to make a basic menu? Or some good rmxp scripting tutorials that I can read to learn how to do this kind of stuff?

KitsuneKouta
February 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I already know I don't have the skills. Thats why i am here, to develop the skills.

I managed to add another icon to the pokedex and make it selectable. Do you know any tutorials on how to make a basic menu? Or some good rmxp scripting tutorials that I can read to learn how to do this kind of stuff?General RMXP tutorials probably won't help, since the starter kit deviates significantly from the standard conventions implemented in RMXP. Your best bet is to examine scenes and menus that exist in the starter kit. The trainer card is pretty straightforward, so that'd be a good place to start in my opinion. When you come across method names or variables you are unfamiliar with, do an all section search to find where it originates so you can get a better idea of how it functions. It takes time to get used to though.

Martinixon
February 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Could you post a screenshot of the event-in-question? Would help us understand what you're trying to do and where you're going wrong.

It happens when I try to use the event of the battle tower, used to work before, but now it doesn't.

happens exactly when I select "No" when it asks if I would like to generate an team for this challenge, also happens if I generate one.