PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39

titiy
June 16th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I still haven't found the fix to this, can anyone help me :(

You said you didn't know wich version you're using so I suggest you get the newest version to see if it works

Atomic Reactor
June 16th, 2011, 07:52 AM
@CNG: Ahhh thank you! Since my scripts are all older than the current essentials kit, i didn't have that script. But you pointed me in the right direction, and i figured it out. Thank you :)

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Does anyone happen to know why my game will occasionally lag every few frames whenever I try to play it? Or does it have something to do with the computer?

seeker
June 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM
It's simply because Pokémon Essentials has some lag issues with maps with a lot of events or are quite large. Though this is not the case for all computers, generally the faster your system is, the less lag there will be.

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Perhaps I should try it out on another computer, then, since I don't believe it's the first two issues, as all I've done so far is the mapping, and I was testing it on a small map.

Nickalooose
June 17th, 2011, 05:49 AM
You said you didn't know wich version you're using so I suggest you get the newest version to see if it works

i don't really wanna download any new version or older version of Essentials because i have edited so many scripts and added so many scripts i couldn't possibly remember what they were, i kinda just want to know where the error is occuring and i will play from there. But if nobody has any idea, i will just mess around some more.

thanks for your reply anyway

danko Kordic
June 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hey guys, how can i rip the font from Pokemon Black and white and make it my font in Pokemon Essentials?

TACHAN
June 17th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hi!
One question.

How can I change the music of WildBattleBGM without modifying anything of the Metadata.txt?
I want different Wild Battle music in every region.

Please.
Does anyone know how?

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Please.
Does anyone know how?

Each map can have its own WildBattleBGM, I'd show you a picture, but I haven't made 15 posts yet.

Himalama
June 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Sigh... I can't seem to get the encounters right. I never run into pokémon when I'm in the tall grass and when I turn outside 'on' (true) in the metadata editor I can't test-play anymore.

This is the message I get:

---------------------------
Pokemon Nocturne
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'

PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'

PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'

PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'

PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'

PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'

PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'

Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:179:in `update'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Please help me!

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Oi, I can't seem to figure out how to replicate the event process in Red and Blue version, where, when the professor stops you from going into the grass, he takes you to the lab, and you obtain a starter. Does anybody happen to know how to replicate it?

JalordaSerpent
June 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM
How do you change the screen size permanantly?

Rai Rai
June 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Change it within the sprite resizer script.

Himalama
June 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Just gonna repost this one...

Sigh... I can't seem to get the encounters right. I never run into pokémon when I'm in the tall grass and when I turn outside 'on' (true) in the metadata editor I can't test-play anymore.

Pokemon Nocturne

OK

Please help me!

JalordaSerpent
June 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
where in the spriteresizer script???

Himalama
June 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
where in the spriteresizer script???
Go to Script Editor and just search. It's somewhere between Audio and Window.
Look for '320 x 480' or something like that and just change it into whatever you like.

JalordaSerpent
June 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
All of the images in my game are cut off now. How do you resize everything?

danko Kordic
June 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hey guys, how can i rip the font from Pokemon Black and white and make it my font in Pokemon Essentials? Anyone? I really need help with this..

Rai Rai
June 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Anyone? I really need help with this..

I gave you the link for the font didn't I?

titiy
June 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Pokemon Nocturne

OK

Please help me!

Actually, I think this happens to every new user. I've had the same ''problem'' and asked here not so long ago, here's what I got :

To disable line Day and Night system: 314 of PokemonUtilities says "ENABLESHADING = true". Make it false instead
Essentials have gen III mecanics of running, you can't run at inner maps. To change this:

(I can't post urls so click on the little dog paw in the quote to read the original message with the URLS)

FL
June 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, the number of this thread posts it's over NINE THOUSAND! I wanted to know what of Poccil think of it and your project...
http://ui10.gamefaqs.com/1353/gfs_61813_2_28.jpg
Look at the pokéballs at the top screen, there a way of this be displayed when opponent send out a pokémon like in official games?
I used the Conditional Branch, but for some reason it crashed on me. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but lemme get the error log. I get the feeling it was something too simple that I'm just forgetting to do ;-;

Pokemon XD²: Shadows of a Former Chaos
Exception: RuntimeError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `PBItems' for #<Interpreter:0x90a89a0>

***Full script:

$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems:Hellpass)>0

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Andrew_2\Saved Games/Pokemon XD__ Shadows of a Former Chaos/errorlog.txt.

OK
The forum smile cuts one colon XD

If it's Pokémon sprites that you're talking about, open up RMXP, press F10, click on Graphics/Battlers and then click import. Now just select your custom sprite and import it. For information on how to create new Pokémon, trainers etc, have a look around this website (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki). Hope it helps :)
You can also move to the folder "graphics\battlers\" if you know how to set transparency

in the script section "Walk_Run" find:

def update
if !pbMapInterpreterRunning? &&
!moving? && !@move_route_forcing && $PokemonGlobal
if $PokemonGlobal.bicycle
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 8 : 5.2
elsif pbCanRun?
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 6.5 : 4.8
else
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 4.5 : 3.8
end
end
update_old
end
change the green value for bike speed,
the red value for running speed,
and the blue value for walking speed
(brown is the corresponding value for RPG MAKER VX)
Take note that if you change to too high speed, you can't use some events like some doors.

Does anyone happen to know why my game will occasionally lag every few frames whenever I try to play it? Or does it have something to do with the computer?
If you use the 04/03/10 version or before and disable day/night (line 314 of PokemonUtilities says "ENABLESHADING = true", make it false), the lag is greatly reduced.

Oi, I can't seem to figure out how to replicate the event process in Red and Blue version, where, when the professor stops you from going into the grass, he takes you to the lab, and you obtain a starter. Does anybody happen to know how to replicate it?
Make a touch event in this grass that make one switch on. Put the professor off screen with autorun when the switch is ON. Use some move routes to take they to the lab, then teleport to the inside lab. Use the lab example on kit to make the starter choose.

You can also delete the change screen option at options script. It's not hard.

JalordaSerpent
June 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
How do you make your game setup controls in the beginning like in Pokemon Raptor Ex?

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Make a touch event in this grass that make one switch on. Put the professor off screen with autorun when the switch is ON. Use some move routes to take they to the lab, then teleport to the inside lab. Use the lab example on kit to make the starter choose.

I keep trying to do that, but it either doesn't work, or it continues repeating the lines. This is what I have, I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong (I wish I was able to post pictures right now, this'd make it easier to explain...) :

Set Move Route: This Event (This event being Oak)
Move Up
Move Up
Move Right
Move Right
Move Up
Move Up

Text: Oak: You can't go into the tall grass without a
Pokemon, it's too dangerous!
Here, follow me to my lab and you can come get a
Pokemon.

Set Move Route: This Event
Move Down
Set Move Route: Player
Move Down
Move Down
Move Down
Move Down
Move Down

It keeps repeating the text with each movement, and with each movement, it resets the move route.

Atomic Reactor
June 17th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Try this..

Set Move Route: This Event (This event being Oak)
Move Up
Move Up
Move Right
Move Right
Move Up
Move Up
Wait For Moves Completion

Text: Oak: You can't go into the tall grass without a
Pokemon, it's too dangerous!
Here, follow me to my lab and you can come get a
Pokemon.

Move Down
Move Down
Move Down
Move Down
Move Down
Move Down
Wait For Moves Completion

Then add whatever you want to happen next. You can PM me if you need more help with this event, that way we're not cluttering up the thread.

Himalama
June 18th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Still no encounters... dayum. I just keep running in the stupid grass but no stupid pokémon pops out! XD
Also, I can't add scripts for some reason.. I just get this text box without an 'ok' button...
NEVER MIND, I FIXED THAT ONE. Just restarted RMXP.

The other problem doesn't go away though... No encounters.

Maruno
June 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Wow, the number of this thread posts it's over NINE THOUSAND! I wanted to know what of Poccil think of it and your project...
Look at the pokéballs at the top screen, there a way of this be displayed when opponent send out a pokémon like in official games?
The ball icons are displayed, exactly like that.

There is a known bug that only occurs when using pbDoubleTrainerBattle, in that only the first enemy trainer's Pokémon are shown. This is to do with the way the array of opponents' Pokémon is created only for these battles. More information is in the Known bugs (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Category_talk:Known_bugs#Incorrect_party_ball_icons_for_pbDoubleTrainerBattle_battles) discussion page. The solution is probably simple

JalordaSerpent
June 18th, 2011, 08:02 AM
All of the images in my game are cut off now. How do you resize everything?
How do you make your game setup controls in the beginning like in Pokemon Raptor Ex?

May I have some help please?

danko Kordic
June 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I gave you the link for the font didn't I?
It's a .fon, but it needs to be .ttf

I would like to rip some tiles too but i don't know how, do i just make a screenshot?

Himalama
June 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Still no encounters... dayum. I just keep running in the stupid grass but no stupid pokémon pops out! XD
Also, I can't add scripts for some reason.. I just get this text box without an 'ok' button...
NEVER MIND, I FIXED THAT ONE. Just restarted RMXP.

The other problem doesn't go away though... No encounters.

This, AND..

I'm trying to make an event at the very beginning of my game. The game starts in the player's bedroom and when you walk down the stairs (to a certain point in the living room), I want the mother to tell you to wait (so she can give you a pokegear and stuff, blabla) and then leave, but I can't seem to get it working.

Can anybody tell me how to do such things?

To be clear: I want it to be like this. Player hits a certain spot in the room, mother says "WAIT!" and comes at him/her, tells the whole story and stuff and walks towards a chair. I want her to stay there after the 'talking/giving' event is done, so the next time you talk to her she just says something like "Hi! How's your adventure going?"

So basically, it would be something like TEXT > MOVE > TALK > GIVE > LEAVE > STAY, but I just can't figure out how to do it.

PLEASE help me!

JalordaSerpent
June 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
This, AND..

I'm trying to make an event at the very beginning of my game. The game starts in the player's bedroom and when you walk down the stairs (to a certain point in the living room), I want the mother to tell you to wait (so she can give you a pokegear and stuff, blabla) and then leave, but I can't seem to get it working.

Can anybody tell me how to do such things?

To be clear: I want it to be like this. Player hits a certain spot in the room, mother says "WAIT!" and comes at him/her, tells the whole story and stuff and walks towards a chair. I want her to stay there after the 'talking/giving' event is done, so the next time you talk to her she just says something like "Hi! How's your adventure going?"

So basically, it would be something like TEXT > MOVE > TALK > GIVE > LEAVE > STAY, but I just can't figure out how to do it.

PLEASE help me!
I think you after you complete that event, create another event page on that same event and put the self control switch to "A". Then, on the second page, you put, "Hi! How's your adventure going?". I think it might work. You could try it, event though I might be wrong.

Himalama
June 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I think you after you complete that event, create another event page on that same event and put the self control switch to "A". Then, on the second page, you put, "Hi! How's your adventure going?". I think it might work. You could try it, event though I might be wrong.

Ok, but how do I make the mother 'approach'?

FL
June 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
The ball icons are displayed, exactly like that.

There is a known bug that only occurs when using pbDoubleTrainerBattle, in that only the first enemy trainer's Pokémon are shown. This is to do with the way the array of opponents' Pokémon is created only for these battles. More information is in the Known bugs (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Category_talk:Known_bugs#Incorrect_party_ball_icons_for_pbDoubleTrainerBattle_battles) discussion page. The solution is probably simpleYou probably don't understand. I want to show the display EVERY TIME when the opponent change the pokémon like in official games, the display is only showed when the battle start in Essentials.

Ok, but how do I make the mother 'approach'?Use move routes event command with Wait or Wait For Moves Completion

JalordaSerpent
June 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Anybody going to answer my questions above???

Also, how do use town map gen.html for a 240x144 map??? The sections are way to small!!!

titiy
June 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Also, how do use town map gen.html for a 240x144 map??? The sections are way to small!!!

Your map should be 480x320 , not 240x144. :)

Sichlor
June 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
You probably don't understand. I want to show the display EVERY TIME when the opponent change the pokémon like in official games, the display is only showed when the battle start in Essentials.

I'd love to have that solved, too.
I tried to mess with this a while ago, but whatever I did, I encountered strange problems.
For example when I put ONLY A PRINT COMMAND (!!!) for testing purposes in any line i thought to be appropriate for displaying the animation once more , it messed up the battle in having the opponent not send out another pokemon when one was defeated until my pokemon used an attack on the not existing enemy.
I could not get it to work so i let it the way it was.
Still, when somebody does get it to work, please tell me! :)

Rai Rai
June 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Learn the basics of coding before you try doing major changes. And change back your game resolution to the normal 480X320. Then in the main script replace the def Mainfunction with this one:

def mainFunction
if $DEBUG
pbCriticalCode { mainFunctionDebug }
$ResizeFacotr=0.5
else
mainFunctionDebug
$ResizeFacotr=0.5
end
return 1
end

JalordaSerpent
June 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Learn the basics of coding before you try doing major changes. And change back your game resolution to the normal 480X320. Then in the main script replace the def Mainfunction with this one:

def mainFunction
if $DEBUG
pbCriticalCode { mainFunctionDebug }
$ResizeFacotr=0.5
else
mainFunctionDebug
$ResizeFacotr=0.5
end
return 1
end
What will that new script code do?

chaotixx
June 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Hey poccil can u please update the kit for pokemon Black and White? Or at least add a lil' ''Pokemon Manager Program'' Which lets u add pokemon u want to the game. Please reply

pkmntrainerpaul
June 19th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hey poccil can u please update the kit for pokemon Black and White? Or at least add a lil' ''Pokemon Manager Program'' Which lets u add pokemon u want to the game. Please reply

Poccil isn't active anymore, and probably isn't going to update the kit anymore.
A Pokemon Manager Program isn't needed, as you can add Pokémon in \PBS\pokemon.txt .
I suggest reading the notes of the starterkit to learn how to do this exactly.

desbrina
June 19th, 2011, 01:23 AM
You add pokemon in by using the pokemon.txt file located within the PBS folder.

The Unova Pack (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238068) located within the Resource Center has the files with all the unova changes added

thepsynergist
June 19th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Poccil isn't active anymore, and probably isn't going to update the kit anymore.
A Pokemon Manager Program isn't needed, as you can add Pokémon in \PBS\pokemon.txt .
I suggest reading the notes of the starterkit to learn how to do this exactly.

This. If you can't learn how to work with text formatting in a text file, how do you expect to make a full fledged pokemon game?

Rai Rai
June 19th, 2011, 04:10 AM
What will that new script code do?

Keeps the screen size to half when the game starts. That way if people want a bigger screen they go into the options.

JalordaSerpent
June 19th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Keeps the screen size to half when the game starts. That way if people want a bigger screen they go into the options.
I tried that new code, and it didn't do anything I could see.

FL
June 19th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I suggest reading the notes of the starterkit to learn how to do this exactly.But he is very active in other forums and communities.

Keeps the screen size to half when the game starts. That way if people want a bigger screen they go into the options.It's easier in script PokemonOption change the "@screensize=1" to "@screensize=0"

JalordaSerpent
June 19th, 2011, 05:41 AM
But he is very active in other forums and communities.

It's easier in script PokemonOption change the "@screensize=1" to "@screensize=0"
That helped! Thanks!

-JalordaSerpent7

pokehackster
June 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM
still wondering if anyone knows a method to make certain shadow pokemon use a different sprite then the others o.o?

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Okay, so, I'm having trouble making an event work - it's the one on Route 22 at the beginning of the game, where when you approach the Pokemon League gate, your Rival stops you and battles you. Now, I have the battle working, but for some reason the movement events aren't working.
Here's the example of the event:

Conditions:
* Pokedex: Obtained = On

Trigger:
* Player Touch

Event Commands:
* Control Switches: [0048: Vs. Rival (Rt. 22)] = ON
* Set Move Route: [Green]
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
* Wait for Move Completion
* Text: Green: Hey! \PN! You're going to the Pokemon
league? Forget it! You probably don't even have a
single badge yet!
* Text: The guard wont let you through unless you have
badges!
* Conditonal Branch:
* All the battle stuff is here
* Text: Green: I heard the Pokemon league has many strong
trainers. I have to figure out how to get past them!
You should quit dawdling and get a move on!
> Move Up
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
* Wait for move's completion
* Control Switches: [0049: Rival Beaten (Rt. 22)] = On
* Control Switches: [0048: Vs. Rival (Rt. 22)] = OFF
* Control Self Switch: A = ON

D. Lawride
June 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Okay, so, I'm having trouble making an event work - it's the one on Route 22 at the beginning of the game, where when you approach the Pokemon League gate, your Rival stops you and battles you. Now, I have the battle working, but for some reason the movement events aren't working.
Here's the example of the event:

Conditions:
* Pokedex: Obtained = On

Trigger:
* Player Touch

Event Commands:
* Control Switches: [0048: Vs. Rival (Rt. 22)] = ON
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
* Wait for Move Completion
* Text: Green: Hey! \PN! You're going to the Pokemon
league? Forget it! You probably don't even have a
single badge yet!
* Text: The guard wont let you through unless you have
badges!
* Conditonal Branch:
* All the battle stuff is here
* Text: Green: I heard the Pokemon league has many strong
trainers. I have to figure out how to get past them!
You should quit dawdling and get a move on!
> Move Up
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Right
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
> Move Down
* Wait for move's completion
* Control Switches: [0049: Rival Beaten (Rt. 22)] = On
* Control Switches: [0048: Vs. Rival (Rt. 22)] = OFF
* Control Self Switch: A = ON

Try putting the option Through On in the beginning of Green's movement (in both, if you will) and Through Off after the movement is finished.

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Try putting the option Through On in the beginning of Green's movement (in both, if you will) and Through Off after the movement is finished.

Still didn't work. I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. Here is a picture of the event:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/2029/hmmj.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/hmmj.png/)

JalordaSerpent
June 20th, 2011, 06:29 PM
How do you make a custom tileset with trees make yourself hide behind a tree like this?
http://imagedatabase.wikispaces.com/file/view/untitled.bmp/237863651/untitled.bmp

thepsynergist
June 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
That's easy, just set the priority of the tiles higher than 0.

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM
I am having some serious problem.

After i battle my rival, i want him to go somewhere off, but the problem is the movement isnt working. He just won't go anywhere! Help. He is just saying the stuff that i wrote on Endbattle comment.

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM
I am having some serious problem.

After i battle my rival, i want him to go somewhere off, but the problem is the movement isnt working. He just won't go anywhere! Help. He is just saying the stuff that i wrote on Endbattle comment.

Have you tried setting "Through ON" in the Rival's movement list?

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Have you tried setting "Through ON" in the Rival's movement list?Yes, i did it like this:

Set move route: This event
Through on
Move down
Move down
Move down
Move down

Stilll nothing..I tried adding Through on at the end and still nothing, and i tried adding through OFF at end and still nothing.

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
How do you make the "!" appear over a character in an event?

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
How do you make the "!" appear over a character in an event?I think only RPG maker VX has that possibility.. I could be wrong though.

thepsynergist
June 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM

Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))

Rai Rai
June 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM

Now you're just being lazy, look in the note.html and look on the test maps. You can find all the stuff you keep asking in those two...

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM
Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
Thanks, thepsynergist!

-JalordaSerpent7

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
I still cant get my rival to go after we battle..-.-.. Any help?

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Now whenever I create the mom event in the beginning and she walks back to her table after her speech, she just disappears! I put the controls self switch "A" =ON and on event page number 2 the self switch is on "A". I don't want her to disappear!

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Now whenever I create the mom event in the beginning and she walks back to her table after her speech, she just disappears! I put the controls self switch "A" =ON and on event page number 2 the self switch is on "A". I don't want her to disappear! Did you put : wait for the move's completion after your moving event?

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM
yes i did!

-JalordaSerpent7

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Did you make sure to set the sprite back to the "Mom" on the second event page?

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Can somebody help me? Im still having trouble with the rival. I battled him and it is time for him to go somewhere and dissapear you know, but he just won't go anywhere! He keeps saying what i wrote on Endbattle comment and stays still! Help please!

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Did you make sure to set the sprite back to the "Mom" on the second event page?
No, I didn't! Thanks!

-JalordaSerpent7

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM
Can somebody help me? Im still having trouble with the rival. I battled him and it is time for him to go somewhere and dissapear you know, but he just won't go anywhere! He keeps saying what i wrote on Endbattle comment and stays still! Help please!

Can you provide a picture of the Event Screen, as well as the Event Layer of the map?

danko Kordic
June 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Can you provide a picture of the Event Screen, as well as the Event Layer of the map? I'll send it to you via PM tomoroow, g2g now..

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM
May I have some step by step instructions on how to create a rival? The Pokemon Essentials wiki is very confusing.

Maruno
June 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
When you've compiled the game to fill in the event commands for the rival, delete the comments you put in. Then edit the part where he says his EndBattle piece and add in some move routes or whatever to make him go away. Finally, set that event's Self Switch B to ON, and create a new event page that's blank and depends on Self Switch B being ON.

It's (relatively) basic RMXP stuff. The important part here is to make sure you delete those comments once you've used them, because they'll just erase any changes you make if you don't.

May I have some step by step instructions on how to create a rival? The Pokemon Essentials wiki is very confusing.
As I recall, the wiki has all the Essentials-related information on rivals. Things involving making the rival automatically choose the starter that's good against the player's, or making them show up from off-screen in certain places, is RMXP stuff, and isn't covered by the wiki. Go learn how to use RMXP.

Do you have any comments on the wiki's Rival page other than "very confusing"? "Very confusing" doesn't exactly help us improve the article, you know.

JalordaSerpent
June 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have no comments. I just need step by step instructions.

How do you set a global variable or a global switch?

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have no comments. I just need step by step instructions.

How do you set a global variable or a global switch?

I didn't set any Global Anythings when I made Green's Event (Mainly because his name is unchangeable).

As for the Wiki Article, it took me a bit of time, but I figured out what it was saying. The article is a bit confusing for beginners, especially if they don't know how to program switches or variables. But aside from that, I couldn't really point out what could actively be changed on the page to make it easier to understand.

Also, what exactly is it you need help on understanding to make the rival work? The Naming screen or the battles aspect?

pokehackster
June 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
ok ive been trying to add whirlpool as a hm that can be used outside of battle but every time i try to test it in game i get this error

Pokemon Essentials

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `pbWhirlpool' for Kernel:Module

***Full script:

Kernel.pbWhirlpool

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

if someone can explain how to fix this it would be appreciated x.x

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Uhm, I have a question that wasn't really answered before (Well, it was, but it seems to be disproven?) Well, earlier I asked "Why does my game keep lagging?" And I got the answer that it could have something to do with my computer. The thing is, I was playing another game made in RPG Maker, Raptor EX (To see if it was my computer or not), and the game was running smoothly. So, are there any reasons as to why my game is lagging really badly?

To give an example of how bad it lags, it skips every two seconds or so when playing.

TheMarkCrafter
June 22nd, 2011, 04:14 AM
I have an error while i took a step, i inserted Essentials DS' script of Luka's into here, and it gave me an error:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NameError

PokemonField:1135:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'

PokemonField:1172:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player_:430:in `update_old'

Walk_Run:77:in `update'

Scene_Map:97:in `update'

Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'
I tried the "TEST TRAINER" at Debug and it gave me this error too:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: TypeError

SpriteResizer:327:in `set'

SpriteResizer:388:in `initialize'

PokemonField:539:in `new'

PokemonField:539:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonTrainers:405:in `pbTrainerBattle'

PokemonDebug:483:in `pbDebugMenu'

PokemonDebug:276:in `loop'

PokemonDebug:495:in `pbDebugMenu'

PokemonMenu:224:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Any person helps will get a cookie.

Rai Rai
June 22nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
I have an error while i took a step, i inserted Essentials DS' script of Luka's into here, and it gave me an error:
Pokemon Essentials

PokemonField:1135:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'

PokemonField:1172:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player_:430:in `update_old'

Walk_Run:77:in `update'

Scene_Map:97:in `update'

Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

I tried the "TEST TRAINER" at Debug and it gave me this error too:
Pokemon Essentials

SpriteResizer:388:in `initialize'

PokemonField:539:in `new'

PokemonField:539:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonTrainers:405:in `pbTrainerBattle'

PokemonDebug:483:in `pbDebugMenu'

PokemonDebug:276:in `loop'

PokemonDebug:495:in `pbDebugMenu'

PokemonMenu:224:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Any person helps will get a cookie.

It would help if you tell us what code of lukas' you tried to put in.

Himalama
June 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
I'm trying to create some new moves for my fakemon, which are called Siren Song and Witch Song.
Siren Song is a special water attack that not only attacks the user with a power of 90, but also decreases its special defense by two levels. The problem is: I can't figure out how it works, although I tried.

The same problem for Witch Song. It is some sort of 'fire spin' attack that causes the pokémon to fall asleep and hurts it a bit every turn.

This is what I've got:
560,SIRENSONG,Siren Song,3E,90,WATER,Special,100,10,0,00,0,bef,Beauty,"Hits the opponent with a song so beautiful it causes a disaster. Is most likely to become more powerful with each turn."

561,WITCHSONG,Witch Song,2A,25,DARK,Special,100,5,99,00,1,f,Smart,"The foe is put to sleep by an eerie song. It loses HP because of the bad dreams it gets."

Does anyone know how to fix this?

TheMarkCrafter
June 22nd, 2011, 05:35 AM
It would help if you tell us what code of lukas' you tried to put in.

Uhh.. i will PM it to you, Rai Rai.
I hope you fix it for me.

danko Kordic
June 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
When you've compiled the game to fill in the event commands for the rival, delete the comments you put in. Then edit the part where he says his EndBattle piece and add in some move routes or whatever to make him go away. Finally, set that event's Self Switch B to ON, and create a new event page that's blank and depends on Self Switch B being ON.

It's (relatively) basic RMXP stuff. The important part here is to make sure you delete those comments once you've used them, because they'll just erase any changes you make if you don't. Thanks dude, it works! :DDDD

Btw, how to animate the vs bar?

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
I encountered a problem, and I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. I have the encounters set for my one map, Route 1, and I've checked and double checked - even triple checked - and the encounters are set. I've even checked to see if the terrain tags are set properly, and those are set properly, too. The problem is, I can't pick up any wild Pokemon on that map. I've even checked with Sweet Scent, and it returned the message "There appears to be nothing here..."

And for visual aid:
(Warning: Large-ish picture)
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7836/whyme.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/whyme.png/)

So, yeah. I don't get it :/ Anybody know how to fix it?

Edit: On further inspection, it seems NONE of the Land Encounters are working, not even those on Test Map. I'm going to assume Water ones are also screwed up (Though, Cinnabar's worked when I tested them the other day...), and ask again: Does anyone know what may be wrong? I have absolutely no clue.

Himalama
June 23rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm trying to create some new moves for my fakemon, which are called Siren Song and Witch Song.
Siren Song is a special water attack that not only attacks the user with a power of 90, but also decreases its special defense by two levels. The problem is: I can't figure out how it works, although I tried.

The same problem for Witch Song. It is some sort of 'fire spin' attack that causes the pokémon to fall asleep and hurts it a bit every turn.

This is what I've got:
560,SIRENSONG,Siren Song,3E,90,WATER,Special,100,10,0,00,0,bef,Beauty,"Hits the opponent with a song so beautiful it causes a disaster. Is most likely to become more powerful with each turn."

561,WITCHSONG,Witch Song,2A,25,DARK,Special,100,5,99,00,1,f,Smart,"The foe is put to sleep by an eerie song. It loses HP because of the bad dreams it gets."

This ^

AND
I've resized my screen, but I have no idea how to fix the battle screen.
It looks like this:

http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2011/06/23/1308800839-520.png

I want to move the HP boxes to the corners and put some distance between the sprites.. Does anyone know how to do that?

danko Kordic
June 23rd, 2011, 02:00 AM
guys, how can i animate the vs bar?

Rai Rai
June 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
guys, how can i animate the vs bar?

You can do it through either coding or one hell of a long event command list to animate it.

JalordaSerpent
June 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
How do you make the text box at the bottom of the game screen almost transparent like in Neo-Spriteman's signature?

Rai Rai
June 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
How do you make the text box at the bottom of the game screen almost transparent like in Neo-Spriteman's signature?

*facepalm* Have you actually tried to learn how to use anything to do with game dev. before trying to make a game? Either set the transparency within a graphic editor such as paint.net, photoshop etc. Or import the window skins and set the background colour of them to semi-transparent.

Gummywormz
June 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hello, I have a mysterious problem, I cannot seem to make it so that the player cannot walk pass trees.

Screenies:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5887/loldk.png
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2194/heypl.png
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5444/pgo.png

titiy
June 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hello, I have a mysterious problem, I cannot seem to make it so that the player cannot walk pass trees.

Screenies:

You've got a couple tilesets, maybe your're not using the right one in the map. like, you have all the passability on one but there's the first one you made that you didn't touch at all and your map's using that one instead. Kinda hard to explain :/

FL
June 23rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Look at the pokéballs at the top screen, there a way of this be displayed when opponent send out a pokémon like in official games?Anyone know how to do this EVERY time that an opponent send out a pokémon?

Still didn't work. I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. Here is a picture of the event:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/2029/hmmj.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/hmmj.png/)
Take a look if an event cross over another one, more details in: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6675634&postcount=529

Uhm, I have a question that wasn't really answered before (Well, it was, but it seems to be disproven?) Well, earlier I asked "Why does my game keep lagging?" And I got the answer that it could have something to do with my computer. The thing is, I was playing another game made in RPG Maker, Raptor EX (To see if it was my computer or not), and the game was running smoothly. So, are there any reasons as to why my game is lagging really badly?

To give an example of how bad it lags, it skips every two seconds or so when playing.
Yes, I have the same problem, the more newer the essentials versions the game is make, the more m/s pause it's have. The Raptor I think's that were making with the 2007 version. I recommend to use the 04/03/10 Essentials Version or disable Night/Day System.
In other had, the most important thing is the people that will play your game, isn't? The most players PCs don't have this m/s pauses problem.

This is what I've got:

Try to change the two red fields to, respectively, 100 and 0. The first one can won't work because that the "3E" won't is used for damaging moves. If the second one won't work, try to change the priority.

I encountered a problem, and I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. I have the encounters set for my one map, Route 1, and I've checked and double checked - even triple checked - and the encounters are set. I've even checked to see if the terrain tags are set properly, and those are set properly, too. The problem is, I can't pick up any wild Pokemon on that map. I've even checked with Sweet Scent, and it returned the message "There appears to be nothing here..."

And for visual aid:
(Warning: Large-ish picture)
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7836/whyme.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/whyme.png/)

So, yeah. I don't get it :/ Anybody know how to fix it?

Edit: On further inspection, it seems NONE of the Land Encounters are working, not even those on Test Map. I'm going to assume Water ones are also screwed up (Though, Cinnabar's worked when I tested them the other day...), and ask again: Does anyone know what may be wrong? I have absolutely no clue.
Maybe you mess something in script. Try to test some of the other enconters types. There a way to detect this. Download the same Essentials version and use a program to compare changes at scripts (like the one used for wikipedia changes)

Use "Change Text Options" one of the firsts event commands. Reading your posts I assume that you isn't familiarized with RPG Maker interface and Poccil notes. I recommend that you create a non-RPG Maker project only to test every event command to discover that every one do and/or using the RPG Maker web tutorials. After that read the "notes" file that come with essentials.

Gummywormz
June 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
You've got a couple tilesets, maybe your're not using the right one in the map. like, you have all the passability on one but there's the first one you made that you didn't touch at all and your map's using that one instead. Kinda hard to explain :/
What? I've tested it out already with a different tileset with only one tree in it and I can not walk pass that either. I don't think it's because I'm not using the right tiles.

titiy
June 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
What? I've tested it out already with a different tileset with only one tree in it and I can not walk pass that either. I don't think it's because I'm not using the right tiles.

Maybe you have a passable tile over it in the third layer :/

Gummywormz
June 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Nah, the tree is the only tile I have on there actually. Anyways, I'll try downloading essentials again.

EDIT: Seems like it's working after I downloaded it again.

EDIT:The problem is back.

EDIT:It seems to take effect only if I place it in the third layer.

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe you mess something in script. Try to test some of the other enconters types. There a way to detect this. Download the same Essentials version and use a program to compare changes at scripts (like the one used for wikipedia changes)

I didn't really touch the scripts except for when I tried to alter the Font, which I reverted back to normal because that didn't work. As for testing the other encounter types, water is working perfectly (My assumption was wrong, it would seem). As for downloading the same essentials version, I already have another project being made with that version, and the encounters work fine. Also, what program would I use to compare the scripts (I'm not good at scripting, I try my absolute hardest to stay away from it)

D. Lawride
June 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
I didn't really touch the scripts except for when I tried to alter the Font, which I reverted back to normal because that didn't work. As for testing the other encounter types, water is working perfectly (My assumption was wrong, it would seem). As for downloading the same essentials version, I already have another project being made with that version, and the encounters work fine. Also, what program would I use to compare the scripts (I'm not good at scripting, I try my absolute hardest to stay away from it)

Try setting the terrain tag of the grass to 10 using the Editor. I think the terrain tag you're using is for Grass, not Tall Grass where wild battles appear.

luxuriate
June 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Using Visual Editor, I adjusted for a map I intended to be a Town in order to allow it to be a true Outside map.
I did not add light or shadow. Upon demo, there was an error. This showed up.

Exception: SyntaxError
(eval):2: syntax error
5,0),25)
^

If anyone can help me understand, it would be greatly appreciated...

danko Kordic
June 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
You can do it through either coding or one hell of a long event command list to animate it.
Hmm i knew that but what type of coding?

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Try setting the terrain tag of the grass to 10 using the Editor. I think the terrain tag you're using is for Grass, not Tall Grass where wild battles appear.

Even if that was the case, the test map, which has the battles Preset already, has the grass set to Terrain tag 2, and on a vanilla version of Essentials, battles were working.

Regardless, I fixed it (Via maddening shenanigans). I copied the Scripts and EditorScripts out of the Data folder from Vanilla Essentials, and pasted them into my game's Data folder, and it got it working.

thepsynergist
June 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Heyall, I'm trying to make a new ability in my old version of essentials. It's called Hysteria, and I want it to get the foe pokemon to get confused when it hits me.

What I tried to do was copy the code for Flame Body, as such:

if isConst?(target.ability,PBAbilities,:FLAMEBODY) && self.pbRandom(10)<3 &&
user.pbCanBurn?(false)
user.pbBurn(target)
pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s {2} burned {3}!",target.pbThis,
PBAbilities.getName(target.ability),user.pbThis))
end

And replace all instances of burn with confuse

if isConst?(target.ability,PBAbilities,:HYSTERIA) && self.pbRandom(10)<3 &&
user.pbCanConfuse?(false)
user.pbConfuse(target)
pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s {2} confused {3}!",target.pbThis,
end

I added a new line under abilities.txt in the PBS folder of my project and added this:
78,HYSTERIA,HYSTERIA,Confuses the foe on contact.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? I could really use the help here.

FL
June 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Using Visual Editor, I adjusted for a map I intended to be a Town in order to allow it to be a true Outside map.
I did not add light or shadow. Upon demo, there was an error. This showed up.

Exception: SyntaxError
(eval):2: syntax error
5,0),25)
^

If anyone can help me understand, it would be greatly appreciated...Take a look at http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages

Heyall, I'm trying to make a new ability in my old version of essentials. It's called Hysteria, and I want it to get the foe pokemon to get confused when it hits me.

What I tried to do was copy the code for Flame Body, as such:

if isConst?(target.ability,PBAbilities,:FLAMEBODY) && self.pbRandom(10)<3 &&
user.pbCanBurn?(false)
user.pbBurn(target)
pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s {2} burned {3}!",target.pbThis,
end

And replace all instances of burn with confuse

user.pbConfuse(target)
end

I added a new line under abilities.txt in the PBS folder of my project and added this:
78,HYSTERIA,HYSTERIA,Confuses the foe on contact.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? I could really use the help here.At least in my version the method pbConfuse don't exist. If this don't fix, try to test the exactly same way that you activate the Flame Body (contact moves).

thepsynergist
June 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
It doesn't, I suck at scripting, any idea what I can do to get what I'm trying to do to work?

FL
June 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
It doesn't, I suck at scripting, any idea what I can do to get what I'm trying to do to work?I also aren't good, I can do only basic things. Change the line "user.pbConfuse(target)" to:

user.effects[PBEffects::Confusion]=[email protected](4)
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("Confusion",attacker,user)

Alternatively, before "def pbParalyze(attacker)" in PokeBattle_Effects you can put:

def pbConfuse(attacker)
self.effects[PBEffects::Confusion]=[email protected](4)
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("Confusion",attacker,self)
end

I recommend to use the first one.

thepsynergist
June 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM
No matter what I do, neither of those options are working for me.

FL
June 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
No matter what I do, neither of those options are working for me.You receive any error message or the effect won't show up after some tests?
Let's try to test the reverse thing: change "user.pbConfuse(target)" to "pbConfuseSelf"

thepsynergist
June 25th, 2011, 06:01 PM
The effect won't proc, no crashes. I'll test that.

I have:
pbConfuseSelf
end

Still no dice...

FL
June 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
The effect won't proc, no crashes. I'll test that.

I have:
pbConfuseSelf
end

Still no dice...Change the "pbConfuseSelf" to "user.pbConfuseSelf".
If you are doing the tests correctly I can't think on other solution.

thepsynergist
June 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I'm testing it by fighting a level 11 Onix. He only has physical attacks. So he's hitting me with Tackle and Bind. Hysteria refuses to activate. I have no idea what's wrong... I changed the code to what you said, still nothing. No idea why it's not working. It's the same code for Flame Body, and Flame Body works...

luxuriate
June 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Wow, I can't believe I missed that part of the tutorial. Thanks FL!
I ended up disabling it; don't really need it anyway.

I looked all over, but I can't seem to find something on how to match a Trainer's gender (or oppose) accordingly to Player A or B. Hint?

Deouen
June 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I looked all over, but I can't seem to find something on how to match a Trainer's gender (or oppose) accordingly to Player A or B. Hint?
I assume you mean checking to see if the player is player A or B? I'm not sure of the exact command (if there is one), but in the bit where the player selects what they want to be, have a variable (or switch) set depending on what they chose. So maybe you'll set a variable to 1 or 2 depending on the gender, or a switch on or off. There's probably a better way, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

However, if you meant something completely different, then I'm an idiot and sorry for being so useless, haha.

luxuriate
June 26th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Haha, I meant something different... for instance, I want the Rival to be a girl if the player chooses to be a girl, or to be the opposite, a boy for a girl, etc.

I also noticed, where is the PokeDex?

Deouen
June 26th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Haha, I meant something different... for instance, I want the Rival to be a girl if the player chooses to be a girl, or to be the opposite, a boy for a girl, etc.

I also noticed, where is the PokeDex?
Shouldn't the method I posted earlier work in that case, then? As far as I can see, there's no glaring error in this unless I'm horribly mistaken...
Text: Are you a boy, or a girl?
Show Choices: BOY, GIRL
When [BOY]
Script: pbChangePlayer(0)
Control Variables: [0001: Gender] = 0

When [GIRL]
Script: pbChangePlayer(1)
Control Variables: [0001: Gender] = 1

Branch End

Essentially, then you can check it with the following...
Conditional Branch: Variable [0001: Gender] == 0
(Anything you want to have happen with the rival when the player is a male here)

Else
(Anything you want to have happen with the rival when the player is a female here)
Branch End
The above check would only work if you're going to only give the player the option of choosing from two Players (A & B). Otherwise you'll want to check for other variables (assuming you set them) such as 2 or 3, and what not. Again, I hope this is understandable and what you're looking for.

And by 'where is the Pokedex', what do you specifically mean? To activate it, use $Trainer.pokedex=true in a Script command. The actual scripts which pertain to it are PokemonEntry, PokemonPokedex, and PokemonArea. That's all I remember off the top of my head, anyways. In terms of graphics, there's pokedexbg.png, and dexentry.png. These are found in the Graphics/Pictures folder. There might be more, but again, all I could remember off the top of my head.

KitsuneKouta
June 26th, 2011, 06:34 AM

I also noticed, where is the PokeDex?I'm assuming you probably need clarification on what to do after you do what Daedalus said. In the trainers.txt file, you'll want to set up your rival twice. One for each gender. Then using the variable that Daedalus mentioned, check what the value of it is and set up the event to start a trainer battle with the correct rival. You may have to put the two rival trainers on separate pages of the same event, with the page conditions checking the variable. Or, you may be able to put them on the same page in a conditional branch. I'm not 100% sure on how the compiler would handle that though.

luxuriate
June 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Okay thanks guys, I gotcha crystal clear!
Those two topics weren't in the Wiki or the notes.html.

thepsynergist
June 26th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hey, Kitsune, any idea on what to do with my custom Pokemon Ability? My friend, CrazyNinjaGuy couldn't figure it out (he hates Poccil's coding structure xP).

luxuriate
June 27th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Sorry, I'm back so soon but another question: why am I being asked to add a Trainer when I've done everything I needed to in adding a Trainer? I did the proper scripting, I edited in the text files. I even went ahead and added it again, but no difference. I looked all over notes.html, the wiki, and 300 pages of this thread. Headache... Only thing I found similar was around page 50, and that wasn't answered yet... any idea why this is a problem?

TACHAN
June 27th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Hi!
Does someone know what is this?

The message goes out always on having trodden on the grass of a route.

Mapeo

PokemonRoaming:170:in `[]'

PokemonRoaming:170

PokemonRoaming:168:in `each'

PokemonRoaming:168

PokemonRoaming:162:in `call'

PokemonField:25:in `trigger'

PokemonField:24:in `each'

PokemonField:24:in `trigger'

PokemonField:779:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player_:447:in `update_old'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Aceptar

Maruno
June 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I'm back so soon but another question: why am I being asked to add a Trainer when I've done everything I needed to in adding a Trainer? I did the proper scripting, I edited in the text files. I even went ahead and added it again, but no difference. I looked all over notes.html, the wiki, and 300 pages of this thread. Headache... Only thing I found similar was around page 50, and that wasn't answered yet... any idea why this is a problem?
Make sure you're always using the internal name to refer to your trainers. Also, make sure you're spelling them correctly.

Without knowing what the pop-up message says, I would guess the cause is one of these things.

It's kind of assumed that you do things correctly (correct names, compile all the time, etc.), which is why it wouldn't be written anywhere.

Hi!

It looks like one of your roaming Pokémon has a dodgy name. Make sure the arrays at the top of PokemonRoaming are written properly, with commas in all the right places. Remember to use the internal names for Pokémon, which should be all caps and nothing fancy like gender symbols.

Your scripts appear to be very different to the recent versions of Essentials, so it's impossible to guess at anything else.

luxuriate
June 27th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Wahaha, you were exactly right.
I had put a number next to the internal name, forgot to edit it out.

KitsuneKouta
June 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hey, Kitsune, any idea on what to do with my custom Pokemon Ability? My friend, CrazyNinjaGuy couldn't figure it out (he hates Poccil's coding structure xP).I don't blame him. It's a bit messy, and there's not enough comments to really tell you what's going on. Anyways, onto the ability. You have it set up right in the .txt file, so next is the part in PokeBattle_Battle. Replace the red portions:

if isConst?(target.ability,PBAbilities,:HYSTERIA) &&
self.pbRandom(10)<3 &&
pbConfuseSelf
pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s {2} confused {3}!",user.pbThis,
end
with user.pbConfuse(target) and target respectively. That doesn't actually do anything yet, as you now need to define pbConfuse(attacker). I set it up like the statuses (confusion is treated as and coded an effect instead of a status inherently) like so:
def pbConfuse(attacker)
if self.effects[PBEffects::Confusion]==0 &&
self.effects[PBEffects::Confusion]=[email protected](4)
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("Confusion",self,nil)
end
endIt should be pasted in PokeBattle_Effects (I put it just below the pbBurn(attacker) method). I think this will do what you were intending.

thepsynergist
June 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM
You are a lifesaver Kitsune. Thanks a bunch, it works flawlessly. The ability is for my fakemon Xiades. I based him off of some of H.P. Lovecraft's old horror creatures, like Cthulhu (looking at him drives you insane). I wanted to have an ability that reflected that. Thanks again, Kitsune.

TACHAN
June 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM
It looks like one of your roaming Pokémon has a dodgy name. Make sure the arrays at the top of PokemonRoaming are written properly, with commas in all the right places. Remember to use the internal names for Pokémon, which should be all caps and nothing fancy like gender symbols.

Your scripts appear to be very different to the recent versions of Essentials, so it's impossible to guess at anything else.

I believe that it is the Pokemon Essential of January 2009.

The only thing that I changed some time ago into PokemonRoaming was this:

RoamingAreas={
#mapa 538 = ROUTE 24 KANTO
#mapa 539 = ROUTE 25 KANTO
538 => [539, 538],
539 => [539, 538]
}
# Example:
# (Species, level, switch number)
#AL ACTIVARSE SWITCH 148 Y 149 APARECEN LATIOS Y LATIAS EN LOS MAPAS DE ARRIBA AL NIVEL 50
RoamingSpecies={
:LATIOS => [50,148],
:LATIAS => [50,149]
}
end

KitsuneKouta
June 28th, 2011, 05:55 AM
You are a lifesaver Kitsune. Thanks a bunch, it works flawlessly. The ability is for my fakemon Xiades. I based him off of some of H.P. Lovecraft's old horror creatures, like Cthulhu (looking at him drives you insane). I wanted to have an ability that reflected that. Thanks again, Kitsune.Glad I could help. FL . had it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't have taken 15 minutes if I had payed closer attention to his whole post. I haven't done much with Essentials lately though, so this was a good excuse to try and start again.

AmaranthProject
June 28th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Did some searching and I couldn't really find anything that helped.

I set my game resolution by changing the @@width and @@height values in SpriteResizer

module Graphics
## Nominal screen size
@@width=256
@@height=192

I want to go for that zoomed out feeling, Pokemon Forever Lost is the perfect example of what I'm trying to achieve, so I'll use them as an example.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/Abnegation/AriaCity1.png

I assume by design that the $ResizeFactor is what I should be using to achieve this, I set it a few values (0.5,0.25, 2.0) but I couldn't see any noticeable changes.

What am I doing wrong?

seeker
June 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM
What you're looking to find is the Width and Height lines in module Graphics but, you need it to remain double the size, so for Forever Lost I used:
@@width=512
@@height=384

But you need to go to line 132 or so and change it to $ResizeFactor=1.0 instead of $ResizeFactor=2.0 I think, in the same script.

Atomic Reactor
June 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
For the day/night tinting i have this.
HourlyTones=[
Tone.new(-85,-68,-17,68),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),

but at 8 o clock PM, it still has the evening tint instead of night
The first time is at midnight right? Or am i off by an hour?

AmaranthProject
June 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM
What you're looking to find is the Width and Height lines in module Graphics but, you need it to remain double the size, so for Forever Lost I used:
@@width=512
@@height=384

But you need to go to line 132 or so and change it to $ResizeFactor=1.0 instead of $ResizeFactor=2.0 I think, in the same script.

Got it working, thanks alot!

Gummywormz
June 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I know this is a newb question, but... :u

I want to figure out how to change the color of the text in the battle menu.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9341/colorchangea.png

^ To show you what I'm talking about.

Deouen
June 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I know this is a newb question, but... :u

I want to figure out how to change the color of the text in the battle menu.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9341/colorchangea.png

^ To show you what I'm talking about.
Around line 995 of the PokeBattle_ActualScene script, you can change this.
USECOMMANDBOX=false # If true, expects a file named Graphics/Pictures/commandbox.png
USEFIGHTBOX=false # If true, expects a file named Graphics/Pictures/fightbox.png
MESSAGEBASECOLOR=Color.new(0,0,0)
MESSAGESHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(255,255,255)
MENUBASECOLOR=Color.new(0,0,0)
MENUSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(255,255,255)
BOXTEXTBASECOLOR=Color.new(0,0,0)
BOXTEXTSHADOWCOLOR=Color.new(255,255,255)
(For example, my current colors for mine are just a simple black main color (0,0,0) and a white outline (255,255,255).

AmaranthProject
July 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
"Pokémon Essentials supports two kinds of animated images: GIF files and specially designed multi-frame images. Animated panoramas and fogs, for example, allow special effects such as twinkling stars in the night sky, or moving sand, and so on. Animated GIF files should have an extension of 'png'. To allow other kinds of images to be animated, add "[X]", where X is the number of frames in the animation, to the beginning of the image's file name, and make a horizontally arranged image of each frame in the animation. For example, a four-frame panorama might have the name [4]MyPanorama.png, and the panorama's image would show the four frames of the animation, arranged horizontally."

Can anyone clarify this for me?I would really like to take advantage of animated PNG files but I just adding prefix to the file names doesn't do the job.

superanthony182
July 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hey I am making a game I just need to know how to connect maps.I know you use visual editor to connect the maps but when I play the game after I have connected the 2 maps I try to walk to the map and the map is black can someone help plz.Thats the vid showing how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OUsJcSgxCI

Mortalis
July 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I've been looking around and trying to find out how, but I'm having terrible luck at finding the answer.

I went into SpriteResizer in scripts and set my resolution to:

@@width=240
@@height=160

But all it did was make the window smaller, but had the resolution the same.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad260/SooperTrooperGFX/Pic.png

Any way I can change the window size and resolution like you can in Options (In game)?

FL
July 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
In latest versions of Essentials, the PBS use the symbol "’" in some descriptions that aren't displayed right, most notably in King's Rock name. There a way that I can make the compile substitute this symbol for one correctly displayed without change the PBS files? I thinks that is related with safequote or gsub.
I don't blame him. It's a bit messy, and there's not enough comments to really tell you what's going on.
I agree, and sometimes he put code duplicity like in PokemonDefaultItems.
But poccil really make a very useful starter kit.

For the day/night tinting i have this.

HourlyTones=[
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),
Tone.new(17,-34,-51,17),

but at 8 o clock PM, it still has the evening tint instead of night
The first time is at midnight right? Or am i off by an hour?In theory I think yes and the last one is midday. Look at these comments:

Shades=[
# The numbers represent values from 0 through 255
# 0 = full night; 255 = full day
Tone.new(-172,-172,-22,68), # 0
Tone.new(-172,-172,-22,68), # 16
Tone.new(-162,-162,-22,68), # 32
Tone.new(-155,-155,-21,68), # 48

Tone.new(-145,-145,-20,62), # 64
Tone.new(-125,-125,-18,52), # 80
Tone.new(-100,-100,-15,32), # 96
Tone.new(-35,-45,-3,17), # 112

Tone.new(25,-18,-32,0), # 128
Tone.new(6,-9,-17,0), # 144
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),

Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0),
Tone.new(0,0,0,0)
]

But now the kit calculates the shade based in latitude and longitude.

I've been looking around and trying to find out how, but I'm having terrible luck at finding the answer.

I went into SpriteResizer in scripts and set my resolution to:

@@width=240
@@height=160

But all it did was make the window smaller, but had the resolution the same.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad260/SooperTrooperGFX/Pic.png

Any way I can change the window size and resolution like you can in Options (In game)?

But he is very active in other forums and communities.

It's easier in script PokemonOption change the "@screensize=1" to "@screensize=0"

Cilerba
July 3rd, 2011, 05:38 AM
Hey I am making a game I just need to know how to connect maps.I know you use visual editor to connect the maps but when I play the game after I have connected the 2 maps I try to walk to the map and the map is black can someone help plz.Thats the vid showing how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OUsJcSgxCI

Moved into the Essentials thread where it should be.

EpicRob
July 3rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
is there any way to slow down animations on the editor so it fits in sync with the sfx

AmaranthProject
July 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Setting a tileset to have a Fog causes connect maps to overlay the fog, and I get this...

Any help would be appreciated.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2630/fogprob.png

KitsuneKouta
July 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Setting a tileset to have a Fog causes connect maps to overlay the fog, and I get this...

Any help would be appreciated.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2630/fogprob.pngWell, there's rather rudimentary way to do it, but it will probably cause some lag. You could display the fog through events only, and set events at the boundaries of the maps that should have the effect to turn off/on when appropriate (probably turning it off when you leave a map and back on when you arrive at the next). The only alternative would be to play with the connections script, but I've never even looked at it so I can't help there. And I imagine it'd be rather finicky given some of its quirks, as well as the fact that it's doing some pretty advanced stuff for and RMXP script.

IceGod64
July 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Is it possible to make the Trainer have to have a double battle in a cut scene regardless of whether they have two or more Pokémon in their party at the time or not?

Also have it not crash doing so?

Edit: Also, forgot something important... It there anyway to make an event happen when the player stops moving? In my Walk_Run script I have a variable called:
$DefaultBicycle = 2
Obviously, 2 is a little slow. The bike accelerates, adding 0.4 to it's speed each step and stopping after it reaches 6.0 (If it surpasses that speed, I also have code that forces it back to 6.0 to avoid bugs)... It works great, and the speed resets when the players get's off the bike... But it the player accelerates and then stops moving, then starts again they start moving at 6.0 again! Any ideas?

Pharetra
July 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Is it possible to set multiple coordinates for a map on the regionmap?
Lilipup is able to be encountered on route 1, which is 1 map and uses two tiles on the regionmap. When I check the location of it's nest, it only shows it's catchable in 1 of the 2 tiles.

Deouen
July 7th, 2011, 12:14 PM
So everyone remembers that problem with MEs and trainer battles, right? The Essentials Wiki does have a solution for this...
Note that, since MEs have a higher priority than BGMs, the ME will play until the end before allowing the BGM to start, even if the ME is so long it will continue playing during the battle. To get around this, go into the script section PokemonUtilities to the def pbPlayTrainerIntroME. Replace the line reading pbMEPlay(bgm) with pbBGMPlay(bgm). Then place the ME to be used in the "Audio/BGM" folder.
Essentials Wiki's page on Trainers (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Trainers)

While this does fix MEs taking priority, it also poses a new problem: after the battle, since the TrainerIntro is counted as BGM, the intro will play instead of the map's background music. I've come up with a simple remedy for this, however there's probably a better way to do this.

At the start of your trainer event, memorize the BGM/BGS, and right after the 'intro battle text' and before the battle, restore the BGM/BGS. This is one of the youngsters I have in my game utilizing this; your event should look similar.
@> Memorize BGM/BGS
@> Script: pbTrainerIntro(:Youngster)
@> Script: Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
@> Text: Hey! You're in my line of sight! You have to battle me now!
@> Restore BGM/BGS
@> Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Youngster,"Deryck",_I("I wish I had looked the other way."),false,0)
@> Control Self Switch: A=ON
@>
Branch End
@> Script: pbTrainerEnd
@>

This means you cannot use comments to indicate the construction of the battle, which can be a bother for some people. Not only this, but one would have to go through each trainer that's already implemented and change their event. I hope this helps some what, all in all though, a fix via scripting would be a more optimal way to do this if possible.

And my reason for putting the Restore BGM/BGS command right before the trainer is that if you put it after, the player will briefly hear the Intro play again: usually you won't hear it if it's restored right before the battle.
I was also reluctant to add this to the wiki, as stated previously, I believe there's a more efficient way to fix this.

bin3112
July 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Can anyone tell me the script to make the first pokemon in the party follow the trainer like in hg/ss?

Deouen
July 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Can anyone tell me the script to make the first pokemon in the party follow the trainer like in hg/ss?
By default, the script doesn't exist. However, help-14 has created said script, which can be found here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=202478). Make sure you follow the instructions carefully, and if you have any problems, that thread is the place to ask. Be sure to give help-14 credit, though.

TACHAN
July 8th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hi!

Mapeo

PokemonRoaming:170:in `[]'

PokemonRoaming:170

PokemonRoaming:168:in `each'

PokemonRoaming:168

PokemonRoaming:162:in `call'

PokemonField:25:in `trigger'

PokemonField:24:in `each'

PokemonField:24:in `trigger'

PokemonField:779:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player_:447:in `update_old'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

RoamingAreas={
538 => [539, 538],
539 => [539, 538]
}
# Example:
#AL ACTIVARSE SWITCH 148 Y 149 APARECEN LATIOS Y LATIAS EN LOS MAPAS DE ARRIBA AL NIVEL 50
RoamingSpecies={
}
end

KitsuneKouta
July 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hi!

RoamingAreas={
538 => [539, 538],
539 => [539, 538]
}
# Example:
RoamingSpecies={
}
endI would direct you back to Maruno's post on the last page, but I went ahead and tested the code you have instead and found that it didn't give me any errors (I used a pretty old version too). Try getting a new copy of the kit and replace PokemonRoaming with one that hasn't been edited and try again. If that doesn't work, you could just replace the Scripts file in the Data folder with one from an unedited kit (since you said you haven't made any script changes, you shouldn't lose anything).

dracoflare
July 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Not sure if this is the right place,I have few battle graphics in .png format how do I convert them to .anm format to include them in the game

Derxwna Kapsyla
July 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
A friend of mine was Bug Testing my game, and he ran across an error:
(Spoilered due to large size)

http://i.imgur.com/YNeYh.jpg

He said he got this error when he was exiting the Player's house. I followed the same process. Started a new game and tested it, and no error. Does anyone know what this error is and/or how to fix it?

FL
July 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
In latest versions of Essentials, the PBS use the symbol "’" in some descriptions that aren't displayed right, most notably in King's Rock name. There a way that I can make the compile substitute this symbol for one correctly displayed without change the PBS files? I thinks that is related with safequote or gsub.Someone can help me with this?

A friend of mine was Bug Testing my game, and he ran across an error:
(Spoilered due to large size)

http://i.imgur.com/YNeYh.jpg

He said he got this error when he was exiting the Player's house. I followed the same process. Started a new game and tested it, and no error. Does anyone know what this error is and/or how to fix it?He is using the Windows XP and you the Vista/Seven, isn't? See http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages#undefined_method_.60.2B.27_for_nil:NilClass

Maruno
July 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
In latest versions of Essentials, the PBS use the symbol "’" in some descriptions that aren't displayed right, most notably in King's Rock name. There a way that I can make the compile substitute this symbol for one correctly displayed without change the PBS files? I thinks that is related with safequote or gsub.
I'm sure there is a way to make Essentials automatically replace one type of apostrophe with another (or the font could have an alternative apostrophe added to it), but the simple solution really is to just edit the PBS files. Just do a "Replace", search for the non-working apostrophe and replace it with the working one. There's no need to look through the thing manually.

triggerhappymonk
July 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM
hello, I'm creating a few games that i want to connect together via a single server, but when I tried to set up the server it tells me that i didn't input any servers, and I followed the instructions right down to a "T", So can anyone help me with this problem? btw I'm using the Hamachi method.

*edit: ok I've figured out my first problem and encountered a second, when I registered into my server and gone to log in, this happened
Pokemon Essentials
Script 'Interpreter' line 274: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 1, map 18 (Pokemon Center):

Message: Section125:581:in `pbStartScene'undefined method `[]' for #<PokeBattle_Trainer:0x4f0c958>

***Full script:

NetworkScreen.new.startConnect
Kernel.pbSave(true)

PokemonNetwork:554:in `loginScreen'

PokemonNetwork:958:in `startConnect'

PokemonNetwork:950:in `pbFadeOutIn'

PokemonNetwork:950:in `startConnect'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1583:in `eval'

Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'

Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'

OK

I can't understand this problem and I need help.

JesterSentinel
July 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know how to change the name of the Pokedex & Pokegear so it appears different on the 'pause' menu in Pokemon Essentials?
Thanks.

Deouen
July 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know how to change the name of the Pokedex & Pokegear so it appears different on the 'pause' menu?
Thanks
In the script PokemonMenu, about line 115 for me...
commands[cmdPokedex=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéDEX") if $Trainer.pokedex
commands[cmdPokemon=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéMON") if $Trainer.party.length>0
commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG") if !pbInBugContest?
commands[cmdPokegear=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéGEAR") if $Trainer.pokegear
commands[cmdTrainer=commands.length]=$Trainer.name
if pbInSafari?
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("STEPS: {1}/600\nBALLS: {2}",pbSafariState.steps,pbSafariState.ballcount))
commands[cmdQuit=commands.length]=_INTL("QUIT")
elsif pbInBugContest?
if pbBugContestState.lastPokemon
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("CAUGHT: {1}\nLEVEL: {2}\nBALLS: {3}",
PBSpecies.getName(pbBugContestState.lastPokemon.species),
pbBugContestState.lastPokemon.level,
pbBugContestState.ballcount))
else
@scene.pbShowInfo(_INTL("CAUGHT: None\nBALLS: {1}",pbBugContestState.ballcount))
end
commands[cmdQuit=commands.length]=_INTL("QUIT")
else
commands[cmdSave=commands.length]=_INTL("SAVE") if !$game_system || !$game_system.save_disabled
end
commands[cmdOption=commands.length]=_INTL("OPTION")
commands[cmdDebug=commands.length]=_INTL("DEBUG") if $DEBUG
commands[commands.length]=_INTL("EXIT")

Edit the bits in brackets to change it on the 'pause menu', such as ("POKéMON") and what not.

JesterSentinel
July 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Daedalus, thank you so very much that has been hanging me up for a while.

Pharetra
July 12th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I'm getting this error on every map set as Outdoor.
I'm using the latest version of Essentials, can someone help me?
Thank you in advance.

Deouen
July 12th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm getting this error on every map set as Outdoor.
I'm using the latest version of Essentials, can someone help me?
Thank you in advance.
It's to do with the day & night system with the version of essentials you're using. Either use the old version, or disable day & night entirely. There is also another fix on the wiki, which you can find here (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages#undefined_method_.60.2B.27_for_nil:NilClass). Please remember to check the wiki if you're getting an error message - you might find the answer there versus having to make a post about it.

Himalama
July 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to connect a map, but I can't find any of my other maps...
Does anyone know what to do?

Deouen
July 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I'm trying to connect a map, but I can't find any of my other maps...
Does anyone know what to do?
When on the Visual Editor, press your A key to add a map. Then click on one, hold, and drag it towards the other map. Use the S key to change maps (so say you want to have Town 1 and Route 1 connect, so you connect them, but also want Town 2 and Route 2 to connect, you just press S to switch to Town 2 and repeat the process).

Or is this another issue, where the other maps aren't appearing or something?

Himalama
July 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
When on the Visual Editor, press your A key to add a map. Then click on one, hold, and drag it towards the other map. Use the S key to change maps (so say you want to have Town 1 and Route 1 connect, so you connect them, but also want Town 2 and Route 2 to connect, you just press S to switch to Town 2 and repeat the process).

Or is this another issue, where the other maps aren't appearing or something?

It is, indeed, the other issue. I don't see any other maps...

NEVER MIND, I FIXED IT.
This is what I did:

-Choose the map you want to connect the new map to.
-Save
-Open editor / visual editor
-Press A
-Add new map

I guess I'm just kinda sleepy... XD

Gummywormz
July 17th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know how to change the pokeball animation when you throw it out?

thepsynergist
July 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know how to change the pokeball animation when you throw it out?

Easiest way would be to go in your graphics folder and change the image itself.

Gummywormz
July 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I can't seem to find the file, though. Does anyone know what the default name of it is?

FL
July 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I can't seem to find the file, though. Does anyone know what the default name of it is?Search (ctrl + shift + F) for Graphics/Pictures/ball . I think that it's uses the order defined at start of PokeBattle_Battle script.

KitsuneKouta
July 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm having some trouble with the apparently infinite z value of the window cursor (named uparrow/downarrow/etc). I'm running a scene, and calling another scene from it (temporary, to get specific information on a selected item). Problem is, when I call the second scene, the cursor arrows (not the selection cursor) remain on screen, above images with a z value of 99999 (although the cursor animation does freeze until exiting back to the first scene). Any ideas on how to hide the cursor while the second scene is open?

venom12
July 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I'm having some trouble with the apparently infinite z value of the window cursor (named uparrow/downarrow/etc). I'm running a scene, and calling another scene from it (temporary, to get specific information on a selected item). Problem is, when I call the second scene, the cursor arrows (not the selection cursor) remain on screen, above images with a z value of 99999 (although the cursor animation does freeze until exiting back to the first scene). Any ideas on how to hide the cursor while the second scene is open?

You tryed the visible=false and then visible=true?

KitsuneKouta
July 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM
You tryed the visible=false and then visible=true?Yeah, but I can only change the visibility of the command window. The red cursor is still visible. Also, @cmdwindow.cursor is invalid (the keyword cursor isn't recognized for that type of window). The command window was created with Window_CommandPokemonEx.newWithSize, if that's any help. It's not used much in the kit actually, so there's no good references for toying with the cursor in that window type. I can play with any other aspect of it though.

EDIT: I think I've narrowed it down to lag in refresh time. Setting the entire window's visibility to false gets rid of the cursor as it should, but calling the new scene immediately afterwards changes scenes before it has time to remove the cursor (it's apparently the last thing to go. everything else becomes invisible immediately as intended). Using wait commands doesn't help though, since it starts waiting before the cursor is erased. The easiest workaround is to call the main scene again after the second scene is closed, which works just fine (except for an extra flash), but I don't want to set up a global variable to store the index to return to where you were last at. It feels a bit sloppy. And also I'm sure I can find some other use for the disposing/manipulating of the cursor. I like figuring out how all of these little nuances work. Also, using a global variable to turn the cursor on/off in SpriteWindow won't work, as it's doesn't get updated to reflect the change.

TACHAN
July 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I put a Unown Puzzle Script, but does not work. :/
(Pokemon Essential January 2009 or before)

Mapeo
Section143:158:in `pbStartScene'uninitialized constant PuzzleScene::BitmapSprite
***Full script:

pbFadeOutIn(99999){
scene=PuzzleScene.new
screen=PuzzleScreen.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen
}

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

Puzzle:181:in `pbStartScreen'

(eval):4:in `pbExecuteScript'

(eval):1:in `pbFadeOutIn'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Derxwna Kapsyla
July 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I didn't understand the wiki entry for this, so I'm going to ask here:
Is there a way to set up alternate-forms for Pokemon? I can't figure it out.

JalordaSerpent
July 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
How do u export a map from RMXP?

I mean the FULL map of the map itself.

JalordaSerpent
July 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
How do you set the priority so that my player's head is covered? My character is bigger than a "square" (tile) in RMXP.
Example:
http://imagedatabase.wikispaces.com/file/view/untitled.bmp/242270485/untitled.bmp

Maruno
July 21st, 2011, 02:26 PM
I didn't understand the wiki entry for this, so I'm going to ask here:
Is there a way to set up alternate-forms for Pokemon? I can't figure it out.
The wiki article on alternate forms is out of date, and doesn't apply in any way to the later releases.

My advice would be to look in the script section PokemonMultipleForms and see how other Pokémon do it. So far you're only able to change forms in the same kinds of ways the official Pokémon can (via location/switch/held item), and you can only set types/stats for each form (e.g. not movepools).

You'll also need to put sprites and icons in the right places.

How do u export a map from RMXP?

I mean the FULL map of the map itself.
Each map is saved as a separate file in the /Data/ folder, called Map042.rxdata, etc. Just find the map you want.

How do you set the priority so that my player's head is covered? My character is bigger than a "square" (tile) in RMXP.
Example:
http://imagedatabase.wikispaces.com/file/view/untitled.bmp/242270485/untitled.bmp
The top of the player's head effectively has priority 1.5 (i.e. it appears over priority 1 tiles). This actually gets a bit more fiddly while moving vertically - there's a bit of flickering, as the top of the head temporarily becomes priority 2.5 (thus is shown over a priority 2 tile).

Make your bridge tiles priority 3 or higher. Not 2, but 3.

On an aesthetic note, the player is more than a tile "tall", yet the bridge is only 1 tile above the ground. It looks too low. You might also want to put in a bridge shadow below it.

JalordaSerpent
July 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Also, (a lot of requests. Sorry!) how do you make the screen tilt like in the Black and White games and Cool Sapphire?

The top of the player's head effectively has priority 1.5 (i.e. it appears over priority 1 tiles). This actually gets a bit more fiddly while moving vertically - there's a bit of flickering, as the top of the head temporarily becomes priority 2.5 (thus is shown over a priority 2 tile).

Make your bridge tiles priority 3 or higher. Not 2, but 3.

On an aesthetic note, the player is more than a tile "tall", yet the bridge is only 1 tile above the ground. It looks too low. You might also want to put in a bridge shadow below it.

Okay! But how do I put a bridge shadow under it? (If it is tiles, I don't have the bridge shadow tiles!)

Maruno
July 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
Also, (a lot of requests. Sorry!) how do you make the screen tilt like in the Black and White games and Cool Sapphire?
You mean perspective mode? Look in the notes.

Okay! But how do I put a bridge shadow under it? (If it is tiles, I don't have the bridge shadow tiles!)
You just use tiles. You can copy the bridge tiles and colour them in black/grey (whatever shade looks best) to get your shadows, and put the in the tileset. When you import the tileset, make that shadow colour semi-transparent. Then just tile it in. Nothing special.

JalordaSerpent
July 21st, 2011, 02:38 PM
You mean perspective mode? Look in the notes.

You just use tiles. You can copy the bridge tiles and colour them in black/grey (whatever shade looks best) to get your shadows, and put the in the tileset. When you import the tileset, make that shadow colour semi-transparent. Then just tile it in. Nothing special.

Thanks u very much!:)

-JS7

Neo-Spriteman
July 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Can anyone help me?

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt196/spriteman97/Halpplox.png
This shows up when I start a new game :|

JalordaSerpent
July 21st, 2011, 03:18 PM
Now that my tiles are in perspective mode, all of my tiles look 2d. How do I make them look 3d?

Can anyone help me?

I'm sorry, Neo-Spriteman. I don't know the answer to that.

Also, (AGAIN!) how do you make the screen stop shaking while im in perspective mode?

thepsynergist
July 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Can anyone help me?

What is the name of the tileset you are using? If it is using any special characters, then the game isn't reading them right. That's just my guess.

Neo-Spriteman
July 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
What is the name of the tileset you are using? If it is using any special characters, then the game isn't reading them right. That's just my guess.

Nope. It's called Outdoor.

KitsuneKouta
July 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Can anyone help me?

This shows up when I start a new game :|It's pretty hard to determine the problem with just that. Does it only occur on certain maps? As soon as you start the game? And did you make any changes to anything shortly before it started happening (like renaming tilesets, editing the tilesets in the database, or script changes, etc)?

Neo-Spriteman
July 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
It's pretty hard to determine the problem with just that. Does it only occur on certain maps? As soon as you start the game? And did you make any changes to anything shortly before it started happening (like renaming tilesets, editing the tilesets in the database, or script changes, etc)?

I erased all the tilesets and added 4 new ones. When I click new game or continue, it does that.

thepsynergist
July 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
The map probably didn't update the tileset, correctly. Right click on your map on your map list in RPG Maker, and click properties. Direct it to the proper tileset, and see if that works.

desbrina
July 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hopefully someone may be able to help me out, i've been at this for hours but can't get it working.

I'm trying to change the way the encounters are handled so that you specify the pokemon appearance chance and not use the pre programmed ones.

I've added an extra value to the encounters.txt file which is the number of encounters possible, appearing after the encounter type value in the file.
The new encounters.txt looks like so

############
056 # Route 9
Land
RATTATA,15,18
NIDORANmA,35,16,18
SPEAROW,10,17
NIDORANfE,25,16,18
NIDORINA,5,18
NIDORINO,5,18
RATICATE,4,20
FEAROW,1,19
############
003 # Route 1
Land
PIDGEY,70,2,7
RATTATA,30,2,4
############
012 # Route 2
Land
RATTATA,40,3,4
PIDGEY,30,3,7
NIDORANmA,15,4,6
NIDORANfE,15,4,6Now the problem i've got is getting the compiler to read the new value

I can get it to pick out the first value (the 08) but can't work out how to get the following values (02/04)

my pbCompileEncounters method so far is as so

def pbCompileEncounters
pbENCSTART=5
lines=[]
linenos=[]
FileLineData.file="PBS/encounters.txt"
File.open("PBS/encounters.txt","rb"){|f|
lineno=1
f.each_line {|line|
line=prepline(line)
if line.length!=0
lines[lines.length]=line
linenos[linenos.length]=lineno
end
lineno+=1
}
}
encounters={}
thisenc=nil
lastenc=-1
lastenclen=0
needdensity=false
lastmapid=-1
i=0;
enc_line = lines[3].to_i
while i<lines.length
line=lines[i]
FileLineData.setLine(line,linenos[i])

mapid=line[/^\d+$/]

if mapid
lastmapid=mapid
if thisenc && (thisenc[1][EncounterTypes::Land] ||
thisenc[1][EncounterTypes::LandMorning] ||
thisenc[1][EncounterTypes::LandDay] ||
thisenc[1][EncounterTypes::BugContest] ||
thisenc[1][EncounterTypes::LandNight]) &&
thisenc[1][EncounterTypes::Cave]
raise _INTL("Can't define both Land and Cave encounters in the same area (map ID {1})",mapid)
end
thisenc=[[25,10,10,0,0,0,0,0,0,25,25,25,25],[]]
encounters[mapid.to_i]=thisenc
needdensity=true
i+=1
next
end
enc=findIndex(EncounterTypes::Names){|val| val==line}
if enc>=0
needdensity=false
encarray=[]
j=i+2; k=0;
while j<lines.length && k<enc_line
line=lines[j]
FileLineData.setLine(lines[j],linenos[j])
splitarr=strsplit(line,/\s*,\s*/)
splitarr[3]=splitarr[2] if splitarr.length==3 # Max Level = Min Level
splitarr[2]=splitarr[2].to_i # Min Level
splitarr[3]=splitarr[3].to_i # Max Level
splitarr[1]=splitarr[1].to_i # Chance
maxlevel=PBExperience::MAXLEVEL
if splitarr[2]<=0 || splitarr[2]>maxlevel
raise _INTL("Min level below 0 or above max: {1}\r\n{2}",splitarr[1],FileLineData.linereport)
end
if splitarr[3]<=0 || splitarr[3]>maxlevel
raise _INTL("Max level below 0: {1}\r\n{2}",splitarr[2],FileLineData.linereport)
end
if splitarr[2]>splitarr[3]
raise _INTL("Minimum level is greater than maximum level: {1}\r\n{2}",line,FileLineData.linereport)
end
splitarr[0]=parseSpecies(splitarr[0])
linearr=splitarr
encarray.push(linearr)
thisenc[1][enc]=encarray
p thisenc
j+=1
k+=1
end
i=j
elsif needdensity
needdensity=false
nums=strsplit(line,/,/)
if nums && nums.length>=3
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::Land]=nums[0].to_i
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::LandMorning]=nums[0].to_i
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::LandDay]=nums[0].to_i
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::LandNight]=nums[0].to_i
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::BugContest]=nums[0].to_i
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::Cave]=nums[1].to_i
thisenc[0][EncounterTypes::Water]=nums[2].to_i
else
raise _INTL("Wrong syntax for densities in encounters.txt; got \"{1}\"\r\n{2}",line,FileLineData.linereport)
end
i+=1
else
raise _INTL("Undefined encounter type {1}, expected one of the following:\r\n{2}\r\n{3}",
line,EncounterTypes::Names.inspect,FileLineData.linereport)
end
end
save_data(encounters,"Data/encounters.dat")
endcan anyone please help

TACHAN
July 24th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Does someone know why it does not work? Do not be that to do. :'(

I put a Unown Puzzle Script, but does not work. :/
(Pokemon Essential January 2009 or before)

Mapeo
Section143:158:in `pbStartScene'uninitialized constant PuzzleScene::BitmapSprite
***Full script:

pbFadeOutIn(99999){
scene=PuzzleScene.new
screen=PuzzleScreen.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen
}

FL
July 24th, 2011, 07:58 AM
For the ones that haven't noticed yet:

Pokémon Essentials now belongs to the Wiki!

Does someone know why it does not work? Do not be that to do. :'(I thinks that the error is in the script.

JalordaSerpent
July 24th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Now that my tiles are in perspective mode, all of my tiles look 2d. How do I make them look 3d?
Also, (AGAIN!) how do you make the screen stop shaking while im in perspective mode?
Can someone Please help me?

seeker
July 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Can someone Please help me?
Perspective mode does not work for Pokémon Essentials, not really. You'll need to get Neo-Mode 7 to work. As of yet, 3D has not been mastered with PE, might I recommend using pseudo 3D tiles? They tend to be the substitute for the lack of a good 3D engine for PE.

JalordaSerpent
July 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Perspective mode does not work for Pokémon Essentials, not really. You'll need to get Neo-Mode 7 to work. As of yet, 3D has not been mastered with PE, might I recommend using pseudo 3D tiles? They tend to be the substitute for the lack of a good 3D engine for PE.
Thanks! Where can I get Neo-Mode 7 and the pseudo 3d tiles?

seeker
July 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks! Where can I get Neo-Mode 7 and the pseudo 3d tiles?
Google Neo Mode 7, and you'll get some results. No use in me linking just one.
Anyway, check out these artists who make many psuedo 3D tiles:
http://boomxbig.deviantart.com/
http://princelegendario.deviantart.com/

And you can find many more as you browse Deviant Art.

KitsuneKouta
July 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Does someone know why it does not work? Do not be that to do. :'(Send me the script you're using and I'll see if I can figure it out. And like I ask everyone else, could you give me a little more information? Like has it never worked at all? Did it suddenly stop working after making a change? And so on.

JalordaSerpent
July 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ok. But I don't understand the psuedo tile thing. How do I know which ones are the psuedo tiles?

seeker
July 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Ok. But I don't understand the psuedo tile thing. How do I know which ones are the psuedo tiles?
Tiles without outlines. PrinceLegendario, who I linked, does both for his hoenn remakes, the ones without the outlines (on the right) are the fake 3D tiles.

JalordaSerpent
July 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ok. I tried usiing them with neo mode 7, but they are flat! How do I make them look 3d?

seeker
July 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Ok. I tried usiing them with neo mode 7, but they are flat! How do I make them look 3d?
Personally I don't have much experience with Neo-moder 7, but last I checked it doesn't work properly with PE right away, unless you use a modified neo mode 7 engine. Regardless, you might not get an answer here since this thread is just for Pokémon Essentials.

Rai Rai
July 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Doesn't work with essentials, plus it doesn't turn the pseudo 3D on instantly, you need to change the map name with the added parts that the instructions within the code tell you. But yeah pointless trying to use it without having coding knowledge to edit it to make it compatible with essentials.

JesterSentinel
July 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I got a problem concerning moving between maps:
Pokemon Essentials

*I think it has to do with the making the town map's lat/longitude but I don't want to change anything until I know what I'm looking for.
Please can anyone help me?

thepsynergist
July 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM
That error was catalogued in the wiki.

seeker
July 25th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Right, so basically what I want to figure out is the following; Supposing a titlescreen was done through events as oppose to using the titles at the beginning of the game, is it possible to make a transition event for the player (upon pressing the action button) to transport to the New Game/Continue Game/Options screen? I think it would have to be a script to be called, but I don't know what script would be used or what area the player would need to be moved to. It's kind of tough to get one's head around but someone may know.

Also, is it possible to have that titlescreen event work before the "New Game/Continue Game/Options" screen?
In fact, the latter part is more important, the other part was figured out.

udivision
July 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM
You'd need to call Scene_Title after already setting up the player on the Scene_Map, to use normal RPG Maker XP terms. I was able to accomplish this in a non-starter kit project, so I think it'd work similarly in PE.

seeker
July 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah I got it now anyway, by editing main, so it's not necessary any more. But thanks any how!

desbrina
July 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
does anyone know how to edit the details of a dependant event (like change its sprite) without having to recreate it?

Bill™
July 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM
.gif files don't work with RMXP... or at least I don't think they do.

Anyway I need to know how to select a battleback. Like the ones that come with essentials. Whenever I use the editor and set the metadata the background just shows up as black can anyone help me?

aquakip
July 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I went in to change the positioning of the text in-battle for the Playerbox and Enemybox. It turned out fine until I playtested it. Everytime I hit "enter" for the "A button" the text would move down a few centimeters. Eventually, the text moved down so much, it was no longer on the screen.

Does anyone know why this is?

KitsuneKouta
July 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM
.gif files don't work with RMXP... or at least I don't think they do.

Anyway I need to know how to select a battleback. Like the ones that come with essentials. Whenever I use the editor and set the metadata the background just shows up as black can anyone help me?I don't think gifs are inherently supported by RMXP, but Essentials does support them. Just not that great. The graphics don't update correctly, so you get an after image of the previous frames which makes it look a bit cheap. That aside, were you using the internal or external editor? The external one can be a bit finicky, so I'd recommend using the internal one (open the player's menu and use the Debug option). Hopefully that helps.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not so sure that gifs are a problem now >.> Using the corrected version of Essentials, I don't have any problems with in-battle gifs. The kit I was using before was a bit dated though.

@aquakip: post the snippet of code you edited, and let me know where it's from and I'll take a look at it.

@desbrina: I'm not sure that it's possible, given the way dependent events are handled (or at least, not easily). I found that when I force the dependent event's graphic to change, a sprite pops up in the square the dependent even originated from. I'm assuming this means that the actual event just sits there, while a sort of psuedo-event follows you around. I've had similar troubles with SephirothSpawn's event spawner. The game doesn't account for the psuedo-events on the map like normal events, even though they may have all the same characteristics and still function the same (I used a little code to do a roll call of all events on the map. They were there and working, but unaccounted for). I believe it has something to do with loading the events based on the mapdata file. If I get the time, I'll try to look further into it.

udivision
July 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Quick question, how are people using Gen IV sprites that don't have the 75% size reduction AND don't look messed up?

Bill™
July 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the tip but now whenever I type 004 and hit enter it shows that I put 004 and a thing that looks like this [] I think that's why it isn't working. I have no idea how to enter the number without hitting enter any ideas?

KitsuneKouta
July 28th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the tip but now whenever I type 004 and hit enter it shows that I put 004 and a thing that looks like this [] I think that's why it isn't working. I have no idea how to enter the number without hitting enter any ideas?That's weird. Which version of Essentials are you using? (though I don't think it should matter) I just tried it in the one I've been using, and it worked ok. Just to be double sure, you are using the internal editor (not the external one), right?

@udivision: do you mean the pokemon sprites, or trainers and OWs? If you mean in-battle pokemon, they may be using the gen 5 sprites (non-animated) for all of them, for consistency. That, or they may have redone the gen 4 sprites by hand to get rid of pixel errors (which I doubt). Or, they may have been lazy and left gen 1-3 sprites at one size, and gen 4 sprites in a different size (which would be unprofessional).

udivision
July 28th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I'm talking about in-battle sprites
Look at this:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r266/OmegaGroudon/NewBattle.png
Look at Hipowdon, he's in his natural resolution. He's a gen IV guy, so his sprite is bigger by default. But it fits in somehow...

TACHAN
July 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Send me the script you're using and I'll see if I can figure it out. And like I ask everyone else, could you give me a little more information? Like has it never worked at all? Did it suddenly stop working after making a change? And so on.

The Puzzle Script is this:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=233208
27/9/2010: Full function Unown puzzle: http://www.mediafire.com/?i56kqzm7x4cp4kt

I put the Puzzle script and Mouse script to make it to work, but it does not work. (also I put to folder of the images of the Puzzle and the Event of the puzzle without modifying it)
The demo of the script puzzle works perfectly, so I have not even idea of because it does not work in my game.

KitsuneKouta
July 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I'm talking about in-battle sprites
Look at this:

Look at Hipowdon, he's in his natural resolution. He's a gen IV guy, so his sprite is bigger by default. But it fits in somehow...It just uses unedited gen 4 sprites (which you can grab on TSR). Im assuming the 1st-3rd gen sprites are at their original 128x128, so the sprites aren't consistently sized (unless the developer increased their size, which would distort them). That's where that un-professionalism I mentioned comes in. So if you want the first 493 to all be the exact same size without errors, you have to use the 5th gen sprites (or re-sprite them). Otherwise you can leave them at their original sizes, having smaller gen 1-3 sprites and larger gen 4 sprites.

@TACHAN: make sure you imported all of the graphics, since that will cause errors. If that's not the issue, it could be that your kit is old enough that it's missing the BitmapSprite class (I would think not, but I don't have an old enough kit to see for myself). So you could try adding this class somewhere ABOVE the puzzle script:
class BitmapSprite < SpriteWrapper
def initialize(width,height,viewport=nil)
super(viewport)
self.bitmap=Bitmap.new(width,height)
@initialized=true
end
def bitmap=(value)
super(value) if !@initialized
end
def dispose
self.bitmap.dispose if !self.disposed?
super
end
endI doubt that's the actual issue, but again, I can't see for myself. Also ensure that the script was imported properly, called correctly from an event (just copy paste the event in the demo to be sure), and wasn't edited in any way. Just going down the list here.

TACHAN
July 29th, 2011, 10:24 AM
@TACHAN: make sure you imported all of the graphics, since that will cause errors. If that's not the issue, it could be that your kit is old enough that it's missing the BitmapSprite class (I would think not, but I don't have an old enough kit to see for myself). So you could try adding this class somewhere ABOVE the puzzle script:
class BitmapSprite < SpriteWrapper
def initialize(width,height,viewport=nil)
super(viewport)
self.bitmap=Bitmap.new(width,height)
@initialized=true
end
def bitmap=(value)
super(value) if !@initialized
end
def dispose
self.bitmap.dispose if !self.disposed?
super
end
endI doubt that's the actual issue, but again, I can't see for myself. Also ensure that the script was imported properly, called correctly from an event (just copy paste the event in the demo to be sure), and wasn't edited in any way. Just going down the list here.

Thank you very much, it was the error :D, but the bottom screen does not show the image of the puzzle. :\

Bill™
July 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Yes I was using the in game editor. I just looked at the PBS files and it says
BattleBack="004"
It doesn't have the weird thing so now I'm assuming that that wasn't the problem. I have no idea what the problem is. If I move the battlebacks to the battlebacks folder will that fix it because they were in the pictures folder.

KitsuneKouta
July 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
BattleBack="004"
It doesn't have the weird thing so now I'm assuming that that wasn't the problem. I have no idea what the problem is. If I move the battlebacks to the battlebacks folder will that fix it because they were in the pictures folder.Battlebacks belong in the Pictures folder, along with player and enemy bases (although you could change that in the script). Instead of using 004, have you tried just the number 4? I had a couple issues when messing with it yesterday, and found that non-padded numbers worked for me.

@TACHAN: Glad it worked. As for the dual screen issue, the problem is that you need to cut the image in half (it's ungodly large) and display the bottom half in the bottom screen with the controls and whatnot. I assume that the whole image is trying to display on the top screen. Unless I'm mistaken on how dual screens are scripted (I haven't messed with them much). I'll see if I get some time to play with it myself to find out for sure.

EDIT: TACHAN, which dual screen script are you using? I just put it into Venom12's DS kit, and it worked OK (except the Z button seems to be broken). The positioning was off, but it did display the whole image across the two screens.

Maruno
July 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Battlebacks belong in the Pictures folder, along with player and enemy bases (although you could change that in the script). Instead of using 004, have you tried just the number 4? I had a couple issues when messing with it yesterday, and found that non-padded numbers worked for me.
That's no longer true. Battle backgrounds and bases now belong in the Battlebacks folder.

Some idiot didn't change the external Editor when he updated Essentials, so it's still looking for the graphics in the wrong place. However, the internal editor will work fine, and the graphics should definitely be in the Battlebacks folder from now on.

KitsuneKouta
July 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM
That's no longer true. Battle backgrounds and bases now belong in the Battlebacks folder.

Some idiot didn't change the external Editor when he updated Essentials, so it's still looking for the graphics in the wrong place. However, the internal editor will work fine, and the graphics should definitely be in the Battlebacks folder from now on.I see. I am using a somewhat dated version for my test bed, so mine still looks in the Pictures folder (I checked the code directly). That also reminded me that I was going to suggest putting the editor scripts on the wiki just as is done with the main scripts that are already there. The editor is a part of the Essentials package, so I figure there's no sense in leaving it out. And of course it shouldn't be exempt from bug fixes either.

Bill™
July 29th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I did both. Neither worked. I think that I have the newest version but i'm not sure.

Maruno
July 30th, 2011, 04:50 AM
BattleBack="004"
It doesn't have the weird thing so now I'm assuming that that wasn't the problem. I have no idea what the problem is. If I move the battlebacks to the battlebacks folder will that fix it because they were in the pictures folder.
With that setting in the metadata, the game will be looking for files called battlebg"004".png and so forth. Get rid of the quote marks and you should be fine.

I'll have a look into the Editor to see why it puts unnecessary things in.

Bill™
July 30th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks you guys. I got rid of the quotations and now it works. It had nothing to do with the zeroes. I might post something about this on the wiki for other people having problems with it.

TACHAN
July 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM
EDIT: TACHAN, which dual screen script are you using? I just put it into Venom12's DS kit, and it worked OK (except the Z button seems to be broken). The positioning was off, but it did display the whole image across the two screens.

I have the Crazyninjaguy's Dual Screen Script.

zingzags
July 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have the Crazyninjaguy's Dual Screen Script.

you need to divide the image in two, and place one image at x:0 y:0 and the other one at the start of the second screen iirc.

desbrina
July 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know how to change the length of the exp bar properly. i've tried changing the EXPGAUGESIZE setting, which works until exp gets added to it, then it jumps back to a smaller size before finishing at the correct size

venom12
July 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Go to Actualscene and find def pbGainExp there change it.

desbrina
July 30th, 2011, 12:25 PM
thanks, though i actually found it in pbEXPBar

FL
July 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM
More bug found! I am putting these things at official wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Category_talk:Known_bugs):

240x160 Credits Glitch
How activate: Show the credits script with the 240x160 resolution
Effect: Only few lines of credits are show because the credits stop scrolling when the @credit_sprite.oy is 0.
How fix: Unknown

Battle Transition Center Glitch
How activate: When you have a resolution other that 480x320 enter in a battle
Effect: Animation of the screen getting black and change to battle is incorrectly centered.
How fix: Unknown

Seac Incense Glitch
How activate: Equip Sea Incense and use Water moves.
Effect: Water moves aren't boosted because of an extra "c" on script.
How fix: In the PokeBattle_Move Script, around line 300 change "if isConst?(attacker.item,PBItems,:SEAcINCENSE)&&isConst?(type,PBTypes,:WATER)" to "if isConst?(attacker.item,PBItems,:SEAINCENSE)&&isConst?(type,PBTypes,:WATER)"

Shell Bell Hapiness Glitch
How activate: Equip Shell Bell and do 256 steps.
Effect: Shell Bell doubles the happiness gain for walk.
How fix: In the PokemonField Script, delete the lines:

if isConst?(pkmn.item,PBItems,:SHELLBELL)
pkmn.happiness+=1
end

SolarBeam Glitch
How activate: Use SolarBeam.
Effect: The move message has displayed incorrectly and the move is used twice in Sunny Day.
How fix: In PokeBattle_Move, around line 2350 change

class PokeBattle_Move_97 < PokeBattle_Move
def pbTwoTurnAttack(attacker)
return attacker.effects[PBEffects::TwoTurnAttack]==0
end
def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
if attacker.effects[PBEffects::TwoTurnAttack]>0 && @battle.pbWeather!=PBWeather::SUNNYDAY
@battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,nil)
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} took in sunlight!",attacker.pbThis))
return 0
else
@battle.pbDisplayBrief(_INTL("{1} used {2}!",attacker.pbThis,
self.name))

to

return false if @battle.pbWeather==PBWeather::SUNNYDAY
end
if attacker.effects[PBEffects::TwoTurnAttack]>0 && @battle.pbWeather!=PBWeather::SUNNYDAY
return 0

thepsynergist
July 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Maybe its just my version of Pokemon Essentials, but shouldn't that say, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, rather than PokeBattle_Move?

PokeBattle_Move only has about 700 lines...

Also, I have this as my code there:

end
return 0
end
return super
end
end

This fix always gives me a syntax error for obvious reasons, but how might I fix it so that this fix will work on my version of essentials?

FL
July 31st, 2011, 03:50 AM
Maybe its just my version of Pokemon Essentials, but shouldn't that say, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, rather than PokeBattle_Move?

PokeBattle_Move only has about 700 lines...

Also, I have this as my code there:

end
return 0
end
return super
end
end

This fix always gives me a syntax error for obvious reasons, but how might I fix it so that this fix will work on my version of essentials?Only add "return false if @battle.pbWeather==PBWeather::SUNNYDAY" below the "def pbTwoTurnAttack(attacker)" will fix this.

udivision
July 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Is it possible to alias a method that starts out like:

def Kernel.pbDoSomething
?

desbrina
August 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
does anyone know how to get the ability descriptions to span two lines, like the way the pokedex description spans 3?

Gummywormz
August 1st, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi, when I put in my battle background, it instead shows up as black. here is a link to the bg I am using:
http://www.iaza.com/work/110802C/iaza16692536007800.png
and I am using the newest version of essentials.

COMBOY
August 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
It's possible to create those events in Essentials?

- A "Hall of Fame-like" cutscene event, with the trainer's pokémon team in it.
- A character-like event that could tell you the happiness of your Pokémon.

desbrina
August 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
does anyone know how to get the ability descriptions to span two lines, like the way the pokedex description spans 3/4?

As well as my last question i've got another.

I've been trying to get pokerus implemented properly and have run into the problem with the ev gains and exp

I have modified a part of the code so that its like
if isConst?(thispoke.item,PBItems,:MACHOBRACE) || thispoke.pokerus>0
evgain*=2
end

which is fine for pokemon that have pokerus, but for some reason pokemon that don't don't gain exp. i get the usual "x has gained y exp" message but no exp is actually added

Conan Edogawa
August 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hi, when I put in my battle background, it instead shows up as black. here is a link to the bg I am using:
http://www.iaza.com/work/110802C/iaza16692536007800.png
and I am using the newest version of essentials.

If I'm not mistaken you have to open the metadata text file and remove the quotations around the backgrounds name.

Bill™
August 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but is Maruno planning on adding the apricorn pokeballs to the new essentials? (I don't know how I would add them)

udivision
August 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hey said he already did, actually.

Bill™
August 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Oh... Thanks for the information. Another question where do the pictures for berry plants go? and what format do they need to be in?

Maruno
August 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken you have to open the metadata text file and remove the quotations around the backgrounds name.
That's a known problem, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Oh... Thanks for the information. Another question where do the pictures for berry plants go? and what format do they need to be in?
They don't. The berry planting system in Essentials is very basic, and doesn't use graphics yet. Hopefully they will be added in at some point, once I figure out how and have the graphics.

Bill™
August 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
They don't. The berry planting system in Essentials is very basic, and doesn't use graphics yet. Hopefully they will be added in at some point, once I figure out how and have the graphics.
Alright. I was thinking about using berry plants, I havent used them in my game yet so I didn't know, but couldn't find them. Anyway thanks for the information and thanks for the new version of essentials i just finished upgrading. I really needed the new pokeballs.

thepsynergist
August 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
I used the Gen2 style of berry plants, and it worked out pretty well.

titiy
August 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Quick question:
I updated my project so that it used the newest version on essentials, and I'd like to know if anyone knows where I could find how to use the Pokemon nest feature.

Maruno
August 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I used the Gen2 style of berry plants, and it worked out pretty well.
I prefer non-selfdestructing berry plants, actually. Just have them regenerate a random number of berries every day or so, and that'll be fine. It's not as though anyone will actually get into berry farming in a fangame, considering how long they take to grow (let alone water).

Quick question:
I updated my project so that it used the newest version on essentials, and I'd like to know if anyone knows where I could find how to use the Pokemon nest feature.
It's basically the region map but it shows where wild Pokémon can be encountered. If a map where you can encounter an Ekans has the metadata saying it belongs to a particular square on the region map, then that square will show as Ekans' nest when you look in the Pokédex. There's nothing really to do with it.

Bill™
August 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
So I made a "Safari Zone" using the newest version of essentials, and everything worked fine until I caught a pokemon. When I caught the pokemon it added it's pokedex data, asked me if I wanted to give it a nickname, then crashed the game. I was in test mode. Why is this happening?

taimao
August 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
So I made a "Safari Zone" using the newest version of essentials, and everything worked fine until I caught a pokemon. When I caught the pokemon it added it's pokedex data, asked me if I wanted to give it a nickname, then crashed the game. I was in test mode. Why is this happening?
I believe this error is noted in the wiki, but I'm not sure anybody has a fix for it yet. It's caused by @peer or something not being defined for safari zone battles.

thepsynergist
August 5th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I prefer non-selfdestructing berry plants, actually. Just have them regenerate a random number of berries every day or so, and that'll be fine. It's not as though anyone will actually get into berry farming in a fangame, considering how long they take to grow (let alone water).

Well, mine just generate 1 berry every 24 hours or until the next day starts. Nothin' fancy, just something to get the job done.

titiy
August 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM

It's basically the region map but it shows where wild Pokémon can be encountered. If a map where you can encounter an Ekans has the metadata saying it belongs to a particular square on the region map, then that square will show as Ekans' nest when you look in the Pokédex. There's nothing really to do with it.

thanks, that's what I thought. Might be why it crashes everytime I go to the pokemon starter's pokedex entry. he doesnt appear in the wild.

Maruno
August 5th, 2011, 11:25 AM
thanks, that's what I thought. Might be why it crashes everytime I go to the pokemon starter's pokedex entry. he doesnt appear in the wild.
It shouldn't crash, though. It should just show the region map with no glowing squares, with the message "Area unknown".

What version of Essentials are you using?

Bill™
August 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Nevermind I figured it out, but is there a way to stop the game from crashing when I catch a pokémon in the safari zone.

titiy
August 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
It shouldn't crash, though. It should just show the region map with no glowing squares, with the message "Area unknown".

What version of Essentials are you using?

2011-07-26, I got it on the Wikia.

Here's the message I get when it crashes:
Message: undefined local variable or method `mapppos' for #<PokemonAreaMapScene:0xc78ba10>
PokemonNestsMap:55:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonNestsMap:51:in `each'
PokemonNestsMap:51:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonNestsMap:112:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonPokedex:537:in `pbDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:529:in `loop'
PokemonPokedex:575:in `pbDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:528:in `pbActivateWindow'
PokemonPokedex:528:in `pbDexEntry'
PokemonPokedex:762:in `pbPokedex'

I'm thinking that I didn't correctly upgrade my project and that I overwrited something important.

I'm looking into it right now

Pokeshadow13
August 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
as the title says - thanks

this has bean a very helpfull to me!

pokeshadow13

Bill™
August 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Sorry that this is a VERY stupid question, but how do I take a screenshot?

Rai Rai
August 5th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Sorry that this is a VERY stupid question, but how do I take a screenshot?

F8 in game or using windows hit Alt + Printscreen.

Bill™
August 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks Rai Rai, but I had already figured it out by the time you posted.

AmaranthProject
August 5th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I changed the resolution of my game and reduced it to 50%. I was wondering if there was a way to configure the kit to ignore resizing pictures, and just display them as is (I want to do the resizing myself in photoshop).

naklov
August 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hello, sorry for the errors which I make, I am French and does not write very well in English.
I began to create a gamefrom the pokemon essential kit, I shall like changing the words which display in the menu in the game. For example, " speed ", money " etc. to translate them. It is possible?

Thanks!

FL
August 6th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It's possible to create those events in Essentials?

- A "Hall of Fame-like" cutscene event, with the trainer's pokémon team in it.
- A character-like event that could tell you the happiness of your Pokémon.
1-I use a mod of http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238626
2-Use the script:
pbChoosePokemon(ZZZ,3)
$game_variables[ZZZ]=pbGetPokemon(ZZZ).happiness
To show in textbox use \v[ZZZ]
Change ZZZ for some variable.
Be sure to check if this choice is cancelled or if this pokémon is an egg.

That's a known problem, and I have no idea how to fix it.Try to edit the editor, to do this use:
A question; WHY does everyone believe the editor can't be fixed or adjusted? Editor.EXE is a normal RMXP project, edited to read from \Data\EditorScripts.rxdata
If you rename EditorScripts.rxdata to just Scripts.rxdata , then you can edit, and even test the editor from RMXP by loading your normal projects. The scripts are set up just like the actual Pokemon Essentials game. It's not hard to work with!

Hello, sorry for the errors which I make, I am French and does not write very well in English.
I began to create a gamefrom the pokemon essential kit, I shall like changing the words which display in the menu in the game. For example, " speed ", money " etc. to translate them. It is possible?

Thanks!
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Translating_the_game

Maruno
August 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I changed the resolution of my game and reduced it to 50%. I was wondering if there was a way to configure the kit to ignore resizing pictures, and just display them as is (I want to do the resizing myself in photoshop).
Nope. Just resize those pictures to double size instead. Everything in Essentials is double size, which of course is halved if you're using an eye-strain screen size.

Try to edit the editor, to do this use:
Yes, I know how to get to the External Editor scripts. I'm saying I don't know how to change the way those bits of text are written to the PBS files (i.e. make them write without the quote marks).

Bill™
August 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Maruno, I looked at the wiki but I don't see a way to keep the game from crashing when I catch a Pokémon in the safari zone. Do you know how to do it, also I made a page about how to set battlebacks since people keep asking about it.