PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Wichu
January 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Change section 000 of metadata.txt.

gotron228
January 15th, 2008, 03:22 AM
okay il try that latter rite now im usy

Lorem Ipsum
January 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I re-iterate; is there any way I can see attacksRS.dat, or anybody who wishes to help me develop this contest script?

Devil_Silver
January 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a problem when connecting maps with animated tiles.
Such as Sea-tiles.
'Cause when I connect those maps, the animated tiles won't show the same animation on the same moment.
Like when the waves move down on the first map, the waves move up on the other.
And that looks... Well, not good.

If anyone could help me, please do!
If you don't understand what I mean, just tell, I'll upload a screenshot then.

.houndoomed
January 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Now that I've added a new type in PBTypes, could you tell me how I can set how effective each type is against another? And anything else there is to know.

Lorem Ipsum
January 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
It's in the type chart in a move script. Too lazy to open RPGXP :P

sinisterbutt
January 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Lorem, id love to help you out with the contest script, but im only good at graphics and animations lol, so im working on all the attacks for poccil. Id love to help, what do you mean by contest? like the beauty contests in the games?

Lorem Ipsum
January 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Like Pokémon contests, where you can have Cool, Beauty, Tough, Smart and Cute. I can't progress any further until I have the RSE contest background and a text version of attacksRS.dat, so I can add the Contest types to the list.

.houndoomed
January 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
It's in the type chart in a move script. Too lazy to open RPGXP :P

ONOEZ

Hmm, I tried looking for it but failed. Could you give me the name of the script. Lol, I suck at this.

mad.array
January 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM
It's in PokeBattle_Move and it's an array called PBTypeChart

The types go in order (as they are defined inPBTypes) from top to bottom and left to right.

0 = No effect, 1 = Not very effective, 2 = regular damage, 4 = Super effective

So for your new type you will need to add a new line at the bottom of that list with the relative numbe, as well as an extra entry in all of the other lines stating how effective those types are against your new one.

I hope that was thorough enough, I always worry that I'm being too tedious with details.

*EDIT* Actually I've noticed a few weird things about this, there don't seem to be enough entires in the chart... I don't know whether it's just me but there are 18 types (including the ??? one) and only 16 entries in each line...

Shirayuki Mizore
January 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hey, I don't get all that stuff (:P), so what was updated? Just scripts?

poccil
January 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Devil_Silver:

The problem you describe is inherent in the original Tilemap class. Fortunately, I've managed to create a replacement that synchronizes the autotile animation in connected maps. It will be part of the next release.

rubyrulez
January 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
You guys (Flameguru and poccil) are absolute geniuses. I love your system, it has inspired me to get back into game making using your starter kit as a base.

What was once an empty shell of a game can now become complete, thank you :)

Mrchewy
January 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Lorem, id love to help you out with the contest script, but im only good at graphics and animations lol, so im working on all the attacks for poccil. Id love to help, what do you mean by contest? like the beauty contests in the games?

You mean, you're actually making all the move animations?

Damn... that's awesome!

If you need any help, I'll be glad to assist you. I'm fairly solid at Photoshop, so I'm useful for anything graphical ^.^

Devil_Silver
January 16th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Oh, glad to hear that the problem will be solved in the next release!

You guys are really good!

.houndoomed
January 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
It's in PokeBattle_Move and it's an array called PBTypeChart

The types go in order (as they are defined inPBTypes) from top to bottom and left to right.

0 = No effect, 1 = Not very effective, 2 = regular damage, 4 = Super effective

So for your new type you will need to add a new line at the bottom of that list with the relative numbe, as well as an extra entry in all of the other lines stating how effective those types are against your new one.

I hope that was thorough enough, I always worry that I'm being too tedious with details.

*EDIT* Actually I've noticed a few weird things about this, there don't seem to be enough entires in the chart... I don't know whether it's just me but there are 18 types (including the ??? one) and only 16 entries in each line...

Thanks, I understand fully now :). It's line 78 - 94, so that's 17, not 16. But there should be one more type, shouldn't there? And I don't think ??? counts as one....

Firemaker
January 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM
There are 18 types. (including ???)

1. Normal
2. Dragon
3. Flying
4. Ground
5. Fighting
6. Rock
7. Ghost
8. Psychic
9. Dark
10. Fire
11. Electric
12. Water
13. Ice
14. Grass
15. Steel
16. Bug
17. Poison
18. ???

I'd like to say thanks for making such an indepth and realistic battle system and sharing, causing the 'pokemon community' to grow closer together.

I can help in photoshop if needed. No sense in everyone paying if only a few can.

Edit: In the typing script, right above the type chart, there is a physical/special section that controls which are special and which are physical. The numbers are equal to the PBTypes script.

Devil_Silver
January 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Oh Poccil, I have all battle pictures from Pokémon Pearl and Diamond, if you'd like I can upload them so you can add them into the next release or somethin'?

gotron228
January 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
In RPG maker XP whenever I add a character theres a really small sqaure how do I actually enlarge it so it can high;ight the wholl person

Wichu
January 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Look at how the character sprites are arranged in the graphics that come with Essentials - you must have a 4x4 grid of sprites, in different frames.
If you mean the trainer battle sprite, the game shows the whole picture in battle anyway.

Minorthreat0987
January 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hey, Poccil when I use this code

$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::POTION)>0

I get this error, and I can't seem to fix it.

Exception: RuntimeError
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant PBItems::STARTERPASS
Section018:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section018:753:in `eval'
Section018:753:in `command_111'
Section018:292:in `execute_command'
Section018:190:in `update'
Section018:104:in `loop'
Section018:195:in `update'
Section020:98:in `update'
Section020:96:in `loop'

Section018:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section018:753:in `command_111'
Section018:292:in `execute_command'
Section020:109:in `update'
Section020:65:in `main'

Does anyone know why this might happen.

Please help! Thank you!

poccil
January 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
You mean STARTERPASS rather than POTION, right? If so, add an item with the internal name "STARTERPASS". If you did so, try selecting "Compile Data" from the debug menu or restart the game while holding CTRL. If you still have problems, please send me a private message rather than posting further here.

Lady Berlitz
January 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Just wondering... where EXACTLY do I find this "Pokefonts.zip" package? I would really like to change the font...

Krobelus
January 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Just wondering... where EXACTLY do I find this "Pokefonts.zip" package? I would really like to change the font...

It comes with the Pokemon Essentials.

Question:
How may I add Items? I see how in Notes.Html, but it's a little confusing, could someone put it in easier terms?

Thanks.
-Krobe

poccil
January 19th, 2008, 01:09 AM
A new version is available.

Changes:

Fixed default map view to synchronize water
animation, etc. in connected maps
Added mechanism to define custom moves
Changed code to make Pokemon pictures larger than
128x128 display properly.
Reorganized script section PBTypes and added
comments
New feature checks the battery on laptop computers
and gives a low battery warning if necessary

--
Other than scripts.rxdata, the format of PBS/moves.txt has changed.
--

For detailed changes, see this diff file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/changed_2008-01-19.txt).

Krobelus
January 19th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Nice, always aim to please yea?

Anyway, what do you mean about the 128x128 display properly? Was it not right before? o.o *confused*

Thanks.
-Krobe

Youji
January 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Well you can use Pokemon images for example the doubled D/P size. I tryed it with 160x160 Pokemon but poccil I don't think it's recommend kauz the images doesn't fit with the Summary Screen or in Battle. You would have to change all to D/P Images and that would take a loooooong while. So this featre isn't really good. (It is good but not for the actual scripts/pictures)

Backmaster
January 19th, 2008, 02:59 AM
hey poccil i like your custom move mechanism but i suggest it isn´t possible to add all the dp moves... because some of them require changes to the battle system... and i think it´s only possible to add moves which take damage to the opponent and not changing the status or somethin like that.
Maybe you can change the battle system and add the dp moves... :)

Wichu
January 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Learn to script them yourself - it's not that hard.
Search for a RGSS guide on Google, and get used to it.
Then, look in the PokeBattle_MoveEffects script and have a go at making some more effects.

sinisterbutt
January 19th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Got a few questions here for yall. Anybody know if espeon and umbreons evolution conditions are implemented yet? And also poccil, will you be including the Vs. Seeker function?

.houndoomed
January 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Poccil, it's really cool that you can now hav 160 x 160 (80 x 80) images, but do you think you'd be able to have them already at the normal size by the next release?

Lady Berlitz
January 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I didn't really get an answer.
The reason for my question is, "Where EXACTLY do I find it?" and you tell me, "It comes with it."...
Well, WHERE do I find it? There are no ZIP files in the kit.

Edit: Sorry! I accidentally deleted it. Don't answer this, then. :D
But I still need help, how do I 'insert' a font? I really don't get it -_-

Backmaster
January 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
@Wichu:
I learned the basics though but still can´t do many things with it.

@Esmas: Go to your windows folder and look for the font folder copy the extracted files and paste them into the "font" folder.

Hope this helps

Lady Berlitz
January 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Alright, thanks Backmaster. Another question concerning fonts... how do I ADD a font? Is it possible?

mad.array
January 19th, 2008, 11:52 AM
@sinisterbutt: Yes, Umbreon & Espeons evolutions are sorted. Umbreon evolves if happy between 8pm and 6am, then between 6am and 8pm you'll get an Espeon.

On a separate note, I can't figure out some of the values for the moves.txt.

Number,internal name,game name,special damage(for moves with special damage calculations in PokeBattle_MoveEffects),power,Type,Phys/Spec,accuracy,PP,?,?,?,?,contestattr,description,

I'm guessing one of them defines whether the move is a direct attack, but I really can't figure it out.

Any clues anyone?

Mrchewy
January 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
PokeBattle_MoveEffects),power,Type,Phys/Spec,accuracy,PP,?,?,?,?,contestattr,description,

I'm pretty sure it might be that section there.

mad.array
January 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
No, that determines whether it uses Physical or Normal Attack/Defense. Whether it is classed as a direct attack is a different thing. In the Third Generation, Tackle is a Physical Attack and a Direct Attack, but Swift is a Physical Attack and NOT a Direct Attack.

Though I think poccil is using the Fourth Generation style now which, while not affecting the Direct Attack value, makes Swift a Special Attack.

Mrchewy
January 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
No, that determines whether it uses Physical or Normal Attack/Defense. Whether it is classed as a direct attack is a different thing. In the Third Generation, Tackle is a Physical Attack and a Direct Attack, but Swift is a Physical Attack and NOT a Direct Attack.

Though I think poccil is using the Fourth Generation style now which, while not affecting the Direct Attack value, makes Swift a Special Attack.

Ah, well there you go :) .

Anyway, poccil, I think that in the next few released you might want to start converting some of the graphics to FR/LG style (as opposed to the hybrid between, Emerald and FR/LG they are now). I've already begun working on changing the battle screen to look like FR/LG but the other things (summary screens) are gonna be very hard to change.

Also, would it be feasible to add an 'Area' feature to the Pokedex? Would it be much more complicated then just searching encounters.txt for whenever said Pokemon appears?

NytewolfAU2k7
January 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Alright, thanks Backmaster. Another question concerning fonts... how do I ADD a font? Is it possible?

I'm pretty sure that RPG Maker XP could use any windows font, provided that said font is in the fonts folder. You may have to change some script that references the Pokemon related fonts.

Lady Berlitz
January 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks, but maybe a step-by-step "list" would do? Just saying, because I'm sure that I know how to put the font in the fonts folder, but I don't exactly know how to make it be implemented in the game (like, actually adding it to the "Options" in the gameplay menu).

.houndoomed
January 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM
poccil, would it be possible for you to make the 160 x 160 images appear HIGHER on the screen in the next version? Because when I add the 160 x 160 ones, part of the pokemon is hidden under the health bar because it's down too far. I'd really appreciate if you could do this.

rubyrulez
January 21st, 2008, 02:38 PM
OK, I get this error message every time I lose a battle, and get back to the Pokemon Center:

Message: Script error within map 32 (Everwind Pokemon Center):
Section081:1256:in `pbTrainerEnd'undefined method `erase_route' for nil:NilClass
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section018:1614:in `eval'
Section018:1614:in `command_355'
Section018:466:in `execute_command'

Section018:253:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section018:1614:in `command_355'
Section018:466:in `execute_command'
Section020:109:in `update'
Section020:65:in `main'

I have my Home and Healing Spots set correctly in my metadata.txt. What could I be doing wrong?

poccil
January 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
I was recently aware of that problem on my tests. It could be fixed by editing the script section PokemonField (near line 1333):

def pbTrainerEnd
pbGlobalUnlock
e=get_character(0)
e.erase_route if e
end

victorspvl
January 23rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
I put a new version of the starter kit on my game and now is appearing almost all the time the sentence.
Hangup
The script is talking too long.

What I possoa do to stop this happening?

To be more exact.
The problem is this.
Exception: Hangup
Message: The script is taking too long. The game will restart.
Compiler:2308:in `load'
Compiler:2308:in `load_data'
Compiler:2308:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:2306:in `each'
Compiler:2306:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
Compiler:2559:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:2598

What do I do to stop this happening?

NeoStar
January 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Ok guys I need help. What im trying to do is do the first rival event from pokemon crystal where your rival steals a pokemon from professor elm and you run into him. The problem im having is after you duel him he says hes going to be the best pokemon trainer like normal then after that he moves and then the whole event starts all over again. Ive tried turning off the switch that turns the event on but that just stops the movement completely. Also called the end battle script on all parts... didnt make a difference. Anyway... heres the event im talking about....

Script:Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
Wait: 15 Frames
Set Movement Route: Player, Turn right,
Set Movement Route: Rival, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left
Wait For Moves Completion
Text: ..... ..... .....
Text: You got a pokemon at the lab.
Text: What a waste a wimp like you.
Text: Don't you get what i'm saying?
Text: Well, I too, have a good pokemon.
Text: I'll show you what I mean!
Comment: Rival Choice 1 switch = Totodile
Conditional Branch: Switch [042: Rival Choice 1] == ON
Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL,"?????",_I("Humph. Are you happy you won?"),false,1)
Control Self Switch A = ON
Branch End
Branch End

Comment: Rival Choice 2 switch = Chikorita
Conditional Branch: Switch [043: Rival Choice 2] == ON
Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL,"?????",_I("Humph. Are you happy you won?"),false,2)
Branch End
Branch End

Comment: Rival Choice 3 switch = Cyndaquil
Conditional Branch Switch [044: Rival Choice 3] == ON
Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL,"?????",_I("Humph. Are you happy you won?"),false,3)
Branch End
Branch End

Script: pbTrainerEnd
My names ?????.
Text: I'm going to be the worlds greatest pokemon trainer.
Set Movement Route: Player, Move Down, Turn Up, Turn Left
Comment: Switch 0040 is what turns this event on, Switch 0045 is for a different event.
Set Movement Route: Rival, Move Up, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Up, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Switch 0040 OFF, Switch 0045 ON
Wait: 60 Frames

and heres the changes to trainernames and trainer.txt if you need them

83,RIVAL,?????,30,,,,Male

#-------------------
RIVAL
?????,1
TOTODILE,5
#-------------------
RIVAL
?????,2
CHIKORITA,5
#-------------------
RIVAL
?????,3
CYNDAQUIL,5
Normally id try to fix this myself but ive been trying for the past 5 hours and cant find what I did wrong. Also i was wondering how it would be possible to make a rival screen to insert your rival's name like you can with your own name. Cant find that anywhere in notes.html so i was wondering if that was implemented or not....

Wichu
January 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
If you're using Autorun or Parallel Process, you need to put Erase Event at the end, to avoid it looping. Hope that helps!

NeoStar
January 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Oh, sorry I forgot to say that I have it on event touch. Also tried it on player touch too and it doesnt make a difference. Tried erase event anyway and it didnt work T_T. Continuing as we speak messing with the event ill let you know if i get it working.

Wichu
January 24th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Try setting a self switch on, then having a blank event page with the switch as its condition. If that fails, try putting the trainer battles on separate pages, and have them activated by other self switches.

NeoStar
January 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
starting to hate this event...... first suggestion didnt work. Second suggestion works perfectly for one of the events (the 3rd page cyndaquil one) so I was thinking... yay finally got this event to work. But when i try it on the first and 2nd page the battle doesn't start. It goes through the welcome text skips the battle conditional branch then goes to the last part which... works fine..... I've tried just copying and pasting the cyndaquil event and switching the branch to the right switch and the battle still doesnt load. Im totally stumped on this one.

*edit* oh and they are all on event touch.

Krobelus
January 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
@Neostar - What's the Script: pbTrainerEnd for anyway? I don't think I've ever used it, nor needed it.

-Krobe

Wichu
January 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Try 6 event pages.
1: The intro speech, etc. Set to event touch. Then turn self switch A on.
2,3,4: A battle on each page. Autorun, conditions: self switch A and the appropriate rival switch. Then turn self switch B on.
5. Autorun, condition self switch B. After battle speech. Then turn self switch C on.
6. Action button, self switch C. Blank.

Try that.

Firemaker
January 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Make the first event page blank, totally. For when nothing is on, your first trip to Cherrygrove.

NeoStar
January 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
@ Krobleus: Not entirely sure what it does I think it ends the trainer battle? I just put it in there because notes.html said that it had to be in there....

@ Everyone Else: Finally got it working. Here's what i had to do after trying out everyones suggestions. Just in case someone else is trying to do this event and has difficulties.

Page 1:

#Make an event so everything runs. I called it Elm Event 4
Conditions: Elm Event 4 Is On
Trigger: Event Touch

Script:Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
Wait: 15 Frames
Set Movement Route: Player, Turn right,
Set Movement Route: Rival, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left
Wait For Moves Completion
Text: You got a pokemon at the lab.
Text: What a waste a wimp like you.
Text: Don't you get what i'm saying?
Text: Well, I too, have a good pokemon.
Text: I'll show you what I mean!
Page 2:

Conditions: Self Switch A is ON
Trigger: Autorun

Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL,"?????",_I("Humph. Are you happy you won?"),false,1)
Branch End
Branch End
Control Self Switch B = ON

Comment: Rival Choice 2 switch = Chikorita
Conditional Branch: Switch [043: Rival Choice 2] == ON
Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL,"?????",_I("Humph. Are you happy you won?"),false,2)
Branch End
Branch End

Comment: Rival Choice 3 switch = Cyndaquil
Conditional Branch Switch [044: Rival Choice 3] == ON
Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL,"?????",_I("Humph. Are you happy you won?"),false,3)
Branch End
Branch End

Page 3:
My names ?????.
Text: I'm going to be the worlds greatest pokemon trainer.
Set Movement Route: Player, Move Down, Turn Up, Turn Left
# Elm event 5 is for the event where you name your rival in professor elm's lab

Set Movement Route: Rival, Move Up, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Up, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Move Left, Switch Elm Event 4 OFF, Switch Elm Event 5 ON
Wait: 60 Frames
Erase Event
Control Self Switch C = ON
Page 4:

Conditions: Self Switch C is ON
Trigger: Action Button
#Blank event with self switch c as a trigger to prevent event from looping.

Anyway.... my second question hasnt been answered yet anyone know how to make an event where you can name your rival? Or if its been implemented?

Krobelus
January 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
@Neostar - That's good you got it working, but for some reason, I don't use that command to end trainer battles. =/ Anyway, you can store any number/text in a variable, and call it with like \V, or something, similar to \Pn. I forgot which one it was, but yea, Poccil told me either a few pages back, or in a PM or something. I'll check afterwards =P

-Krobe

poccil
January 25th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Changes:

Increased number of storage boxes to 40
Improved custom Tilemap's performance in large maps
Changed font installation code
Message system now supports "Change Text Options" event command
Fixed bug in 640x480 mode where battle transitions were
improperly displayed
Fixed Revival Herb bug where it restored half HP and not full HP.
New GifSprite class supports loading GIF images and animations
Fixed bug that causes error after losing a Trainer battle

For detailed changes, see this diff file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/changed_2008-01-25.txt).

MR.GLITCH_KING
January 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM
very nice job poccil especially with that gif thing

NeoStar
January 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
yes... very nice job keep up the good work.

poccil
January 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM
NeoStar:

I can sense one problem with your final solution, namely that the self switch B can turn on even if the player loses the battle. Here's how to fix it:

Comment: If won
Else
Comment: If lost
Control Self Switch B = OFF
Control Self Switch A = OFF
Exit Event Processing
Branch End
Branch End

Wichu
January 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Poccil, are you planning on implementing Shadow Pokémon?

Firemaker
January 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Great job with the gif. I can't wait to see how that will turn out.

victorspvl
January 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Poccil the starter kit is too!
But I have several questions about, if you would like me respond very happy!

1 - I wanted to make: When the switch was activated 80 a picture of Trainer Card change, as I do that?

2-Add a trainer card than to put many insiguinias (some 32), as I do?

3-In the starter kit in the top left corner of poké center has an event there, ($ PokemonGlobal.seenStorageCreator =
True), so that, and I have to move this event for pokécenter of my game?

4-townmapgen not working, why?

Sorry so many questions ...
Thanks

Wichu
January 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Poccil the starter kit is too!

1 - I wanted to make: When the switch was activated 80 a picture of Trainer Card change, as I do that?

3-In the starter kit in the top left corner of poké center has an event there, ($ PokemonGlobal.seenStorageCreator =

Thanks

1. I'm not sure, I'll try to find out.

2. Same as above, though it should be possible.

3. No, you shouldn't move it: it is the script which changes SOMEONE'S PC to BILL'S PC. Use the command in the event for the Storage creator.

4. Did you copy and paste the output into townmap.txt?

Tsunami-Dono
January 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hey, something is wrong here...

I have created a project of Pokemon Thunder Yellow(a game with Yellow's game story); But, when you go to Pallet Town(from inside of a house or by another route) the game stops, and I don't know why it stops(it's only Pallet, the Town... The houses are OK, and I don't have deleted any map that already was there)...

Sorry for the errors in this text, cause I'm from Brazil...

So, if you can help-me, please answer this post...

victorspvl
January 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks
The townmap gen simply does not work, does not give to click on the button to save and load does not load ...

NeoStar
January 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
@ Poccil:

Yeah, ill try that out right now while i'm working on Route 48. I'll edit this post if i get it working on not. Thanks for your help.

*edit* yeah it works again thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it.

@ Tsunami-Dono:

You mean it freezes completely like... just stops and you cant move or anything? Is there any error? This info would be helpful so we can help you with your problem.

@ Everyone else:

Have a couple more questions:

1.Would a bank system be possible? Like in g/s/c? I'm not asking how to DO a bank system that parts easy. I was just wondering where the variable or whatever is that stores your money? I looked in the notes.html and scripts and couldnt find it. And then there would be the part of taking out a certain ammount of money every battle and storing it in the bank.

2. Again with my Rival name question. Starting to wonder if its even possible or if i should pm Poccil about it. Id really hate to bug him about it im sure he gets enough pms already.

3. Is it possible to add players to the phone system? Like say professor elm and your mom or would that require rewriting the script all over again?

4. How can you get pictures for your trainers? Again ive been looking through the scripts and cant find anything on it.

Wichu
January 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM
You have to copy and paste everything from townmap.txt into the box first to load.
To save, you must have edited something on the map (click a place on the map and edit the boxes underneath).

The money is stored in $Trainer.money (use something like Script: $Trainer.money-=$game_variables[*variable id*] to take away money, $Trainer.money+=$game_variables[*variable id*] to add money.)

I'll try answering the rest later.

golden_rex
January 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM
its all complicated so i decided to give up on trying to make a hack and just play them instead.

Tsunami-Dono
January 28th, 2008, 08:05 AM
It freezes...

when I put in the first event(intro) to teleport to Pallet, when the screen shows the city, it freezes, but the backsound keep playing... If you get out of a house, it's freeze on the Black screen...

Wichu
January 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I've done a Rival Name script:
Change def fullname at around line 52 in PokeBattle_Trainer to:

def fullname
if self.trainerTypeName=="RIVAL" && $game_variables[30]!=0
return _INTL("{1} {2}",self.trainerTypeName,$game_variables[30])
else
return _INTL("{1} {2}",self.trainerTypeName,@name)
end
end

Change def pbLoadTrainerData at around line 280 in PokemonPhone to:

def pbLoadTrainerData(trainerid,trainername,partyid=0)
ret=nil
trainers=load_data("Data/trainers.dat")
for trainer in trainers
if trainer[0]=="RIVAL" && $game_variables[30]!=0
name=$game_variables[30]
else
name=trainer[1]
end
thistrainerid=trainer[0]
thispartyid=trainer[4]
if trainerid==thistrainerid && name==trainername && partyid==thispartyid
ret=trainer
break
end
end
return ret
end

You have to make a new trainer type (RIVAL) for this to work, or change "RIVAL" in the scripts to the trainer type you want to use.
It will change the trainer's displayed name to a variable, in this case 30. Just change $game_variables[30] to the number of the variable the name is stored in.
To set the name, use:Script: pbTextEntry("Your rival's
name?",0,7,30)
where 30 is the variable that you want to store the name in. To use the name in a message, use /v[30], again, with the variable.

EDIT: Also made a "bank" script. In PokeBattle_Battle, delete the line in red:

# If a participant is holding Amulet Coin, money earned is doubled
for i in 0...6
if @participants[i] && @party1[i].hp>0 && !@party1[i].egg? && @party1[i].item==PBItems::AMULETCOIN
maxlevel*=2
break
end
end
self.pbPlayer.money+=maxlevel
self.pbPlayer.money=999999 if self.pbPlayer.money>999999
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} got ${2} for winning!",self.pbPlayer.name,maxlevel))
end
end
if @internalbattle && @moneygained>0
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} picked up ${2}!",self.pbPlayer.name,moneygained))
self.pbPlayer.money+=moneygained
and change the section to:
# If a participant is holding Amulet Coin, money earned is doubled
for i in 0...6
if @participants[i] && @party1[i].hp>0 && !@party1[i].egg? && @party1[i].item==PBItems::AMULETCOIN
maxlevel*=2
break
end
end
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} got ${2} for winning!",self.pbPlayer.name,maxlevel))
if $game_switches[30]==true
$game_variables[31]+=maxlevel*0.3
maxlevel*=0.7
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("Sent some to Mom!"))
end
self.pbPlayer.money+=maxlevel
where $game_switches[30] is the ID of the switch which is on if your mother is saving money, $game_variables[31] is the variable storing the amount of money saved, and 0.3 and 0.7 are the amounts sent and kept, respectively.

And to withdraw and deposit money, copy and paste this into a new script:def pbPrepareWindow(window)
window.visible=true
window.letterbyletter=false
window.baseColor=Color.new(72,72,72)
window.shadowColor=Color.new(208,208,208)
end
def pbBankUse(helptext,mode)
maximum=0
if mode==0 #Deposit
maximum=$Trainer.money
else # Withdraw
maximum=$game_variables[31]
end
curnumber=0
amount=0
helpwindow=Window_SimpleTextPokemon.new(helptext)
helpwindow.visible=false
helpwindow.viewport=@viewport
pbPrepareWindow(helpwindow)
using(numwindow=Window_SimpleTextPokemon.new(_INTL("000000"))){
pbPrepareWindow(numwindow)
numwindow.viewport=@viewport
pbBottomRight(numwindow)
numwindow.resizeToFit(numwindow.text,480)
numwindow.text=_ISPRINTF("{1:06d}",curnumber)
numwindow.y-=helpwindow.height
loop do
Graphics.update
Input.update
numwindow.update
helpwindow.update
if Input.repeat?(Input::LEFT)
curnumber-=10
curnumber=0 if curnumber<0
elsif Input.repeat?(Input::RIGHT)
curnumber+=10
curnumber=maximum if curnumber>maximum
elsif Input.repeat?(Input::UP)
curnumber+=1
curnumber=0 if curnumber>maximum
elsif Input.repeat?(Input::DOWN)
curnumber-=1
curnumber=maximum if curnumber<1
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::C)
amount=curnumber
break
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::B)
amount=0
break
end
end
}
helpwindow.visible=false
amount=-amount if mode==0 # Deposit
$Trainer.money+=amount
$game_variables[31]-=amount
end

Then use Script:pbBankUse("Withdraw Money",1) or Script:pbBankUse("Deposit Money",0) to use it. I know it's not perfect, but I made this in a hurry.

NeoStar
January 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
It freezes...

when I put in the first event(intro) to teleport to Pallet, when the screen shows the city, it freezes, but the backsound keep playing... If you get out of a house, it's freeze on the Black screen...

Sounds like you have an event somewhere in the players house or pallet town thats set to parallel process when a certain switch is on and its messing up. Try changing it to action button or player touch/event touch whatever the event is for, if you find the event. But thats what it sounds like to me.

Tsunami-Dono
January 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I know what was the problem...

It was an event of OAK that was doing it, and I guess it was "Automatic Start".
I have created a second map, of Pallet, and yhe only one error was this event

Now it's allright!

Krobelus
January 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Yea, the thing with Automatic Start, is that you usually have to put "Exit Event Processing" somewhere wherever you want it to end, otherwise it could loop and not stop.

-Krobe

NeoStar
January 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
@Wichu

wow i didnt expect you to make 2 scripts for me im surprised. Thank you, they both work perfectly!

@Tsunami-Dono

Yeah i thought that was what was up. Glad you got it going.

Shirayuki Mizore
January 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Nice update. JUST took scripts.rxdata from it to mine.

Problem. ..D:

Script 'Audio' Line 23: Runtime Error Occurred.

Load Library: audio.dll

poccil
January 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
It means the file audio.dll (part of Pokemon Essentials) cannot be found. Though I haven't tested it, I'm sure the game system can work without it, though, if you find line 54 of the script section Audio and change this:

@handle = w32_LL.call("audio.dll")

to this:

if FileTest.exist?("audio.dll")
@handle = w32_LL.call("audio.dll")
end

danbigbluewrestler
January 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The Visual Editor Doesn't work when i try too add a mad I get and error

poccil
January 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
It was a mistake; here is the quote.

Add the following code before the words "def update" before line 1842 of the script section PokemonEditor:

def chooseMapScreen(title,currentmap)
return pbListScreen(title,MapLister.new(currentmap))
end

It was a method I forgot to add there.

phoenixprime88b5
January 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
This may have been mentioned before but in (PokemonUtilities) how do I set up a create pokemon part for pokemon like in a way to set up starter pokemon.

Wyvern
January 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Hi, and great thx for your dedication, guys! Anyway, I wonder if someone could fix the -running- graphic, beacuse it seems quite odd (if you try the Z button before you obtain the running shoes, you seem like a bully Lol)(except that, running WITH the running shoes is slow-ed graphically-if you try it you will see what i mean). Not that it's the 1st thing that matters most, but 'why leave it last', right? Oh yeah, script makers ARE geniuses, so I give them the most credit.

BlueEew
January 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I have a transfering problem, basically I have two computers. On the laptop I have three maps made on the starter kit. However I use my new PC now, and have lots of maps on here. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me where and how I could locate those three maps, and the add them to my PC?

I have a memory stick to save them on, I just need to know how to get to the maps. Thanks in advance. :)

Wichu
January 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM
They're in the Data folder, named Map[ID].rxdata. However, copying them won't do much good, as you need to update the MapInfos.rxdata too, which I don't think is possible.
Try moving the whole game folder over, then opening both games in the editor and copy and paste the maps over.

BlueEew
January 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I guess that would be the easy way I suppose, I will give it a try. Thanks for that. :)

.houndoomed
January 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
OK, I've got a fairly complicated question for anyone who knows the answer.

The fangame I'm making is set in a new region. Altogether, there are 250 Pokemon catchable in the game i.e. 149 are totally new and 101 are old. The list is mixed with both new and old Pokemon. Is there any easy way I can limit the number to 250 and change the numbers of the old Pokemon to new numbers? Still not exactly a master with this thing, I've got lots of other things to do.

Wichu
January 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Couldn't you just go into Pokemon.txt, delete the Pokémon you don't want, delete their sprites and TMs.txt entries, and renumber the rest?
Alternatively, you could make a Regional Dex, and give the Pokémon a regional number (see Notes.html). That would mean the game's filesize would be bigger, but you could also have the rest catchable if you change your mind.

victorspvl
January 30th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Poccil the starter kit is great!!

I already did this question before but nobody answered me.

5-I wanted an event that only appear when Celebi were in my group, as I do that?

6 - The new versions of the starter kit, in the Trainer events have one: Script: pbTrainerEnd, and as my project is already done time does not put it in the trainers of my game, I have problems because of that?

7-How do I talk a condition where the character can only move up if you have all badges?

Thanks

.houndoomed
January 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Couldn't you just go into Pokemon.txt, delete the Pokémon you don't want, delete their sprites and TMs.txt entries, and renumber the rest?
Alternatively, you could make a Regional Dex, and give the Pokémon a regional number (see Notes.html). That would mean the game's filesize would be bigger, but you could also have the rest catchable if you change your mind.

I could do that, but I'll most likely add a National Dex somewhere later in the game. I'm having a demo first, so I think for now I should just delete the rest like you said, then when the time comes for the full release, I'll add the National Dex.

Also: adding new Pokemon is a pain in the ass :P (does not need help).

EDIT: OK, so say I have 250 Pokemon in the dex, not all of those spaces are going to be filled with new Pokemon. Do I just leave the Pokedex entries, scripts etc. blank for the uncomplete, or will errors appear if I do that?

Firemaker
January 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM
VictorSpvl- See notes.html. That will give you answers for 5 and 7
Houndoomed- As long as the blank pokemon don't appear in the wild or its not in your possession, it should work.

Wichu
January 31st, 2008, 08:16 AM
Make sure that you back up the Pokemon.txt before releasing the demo, to save you from having to add the Pokémon again.

marxj
January 31st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hey,

I've read the documentation and I'm stil confused at how to create a 'Double-Battle' so I was wondering if someone could help me with this...

[I'm hoping to have one of the two other trainers with a Cacnea and the other with a a Seviper]

Also, I was wondering I'm Diamond and Pearl, there are areas where you get an NPC to join your team and they battle with you during Double Battles... is this possible and if so how can I make them battle along side with their Pokemon?

Thanks to however is able to help me in advance... I'm really stuck with this.

Firemaker
January 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
For making any d-battle there is an example in the test pokecenter

marxj
January 31st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Can someone help me with this.. I am creating a double battle with a new set of trainers and I get this. I looked at the example from the Pokemon Center in the test and I basically copied it and edited it to the new ones but it doesn't work. Here is the Error:

========================================
Compiler:780:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:811:in `parseTrainer'
Compiler:1162:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:1160:in `loop'
Compiler:1220:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:2544:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:2604
File PBS/trainers.txt, line 97
DARKEARTH GRUNTS
Compiler:778:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:811:in `parseTrainer'
Compiler:1162:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:1160:in `loop'
Compiler:1220:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:2544:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:2604
========================================

Firemaker
January 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Go to that line and change the problem

marxj
January 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
FIXED... it wouldn't work because I needed to add:

#-------------------

underneath it.

Firemaker
January 31st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Go to script PBTrainers. This should work

ferrarib0y
January 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
that is a very nice starter kit by far the best i have seen nd it is very easy to use.
Can you make it so that when you fish you can set a spriteset or a gif image to show the fishing rod and animation

Firemaker
February 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
You could do that on your own. I'm pretty sure that there is an image though, somewhere.

phoenixprime88b5
February 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
This may have been mentioned before but in (PokemonUtilities) how do I set up a create pokemon part for pokemon like in a way to set up starter pokemon.

Firemaker
February 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
A) Make up a switch for each pokemon
B) Make the balls
C) Make the base event the event when that pokemon is chosen. Then turn the switch on
D) For each ball, make events stating that if one of those events are on, nothing will happen or another message will occur
E) Example, when Bulbasaur is chosen, turn bulbasaur on and leave the ball item blank

rm2kdude
February 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
This is pretty cool, best starter kit that I've seen. But what script do I edit to change the text size/font?

phoenixprime88b5
February 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
This happens when I try to do the starter pokemon events:

Exception: SyntaxError
(eval):2: syntax error
Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1615:in `eval'
Interpreter:1615:in `command_355'
Interpreter:467:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `loop'

Mrchewy
February 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
This happens when I try to do the starter pokemon events:

Having a quick look at some of the lines in Interpreter, it seems you've got a script in your game with a dodgy syntax (obviously, the scripts you used when giving the player a starter Pokémon). Be sure to check notes.html and the example game to make sure your usage of scripts is correct.

phoenixprime88b5
February 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Having a quick look at some of the lines in Interpreter, it seems you've got a script in your game with a dodgy syntax (obviously, the scripts you used when giving the player a starter Pokémon). Be sure to check notes.html and the example game to make sure your usage of scripts is correct.

I looked at the notes from top to bottom and whoever wrote them don't cover everything that needs to be covered so I'm just wondering how to set the pokemon up in the pokemon utilities script cause I know that's how it will work, I just need to know exactly how to write the script for the pokemon. the small kernel.pb isn't doing the trick.

Mrchewy
February 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Could you post your events/scripts, then? It's very hard for me to help you if we can't see where the problem is.

poccil
February 3rd, 2008, 02:05 AM

Changes:

More battle transitions added
Hidden move animation and fishing animation
Support for double wild battles and partner trainers
Fixed potential problem where a wild encounter can run even
if an event triggers on grass
Fixed bugs in storage system
Fixed bug where defining custom moves for a trainer causes an error

For detailed changes, see this diff file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/changed_2008-02-03.txt).

Mrchewy
February 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM

Changes:

More battle transitions added
Hidden move animation and fishing animation
Support for double wild battles and partner trainers
Fixed potential problem where a wild encounter can run even
if an event triggers on grass
Fixed bugs in storage system
Fixed bug where defining custom moves for a trainer causes an error

For detailed changes, see this diff file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/changed_2008-02-03.txt).

Huzzah! Seems like a pretty solid content upgrade. Once again, great work Peter ;)

Lorem Ipsum
February 3rd, 2008, 04:05 AM
Just a question, but can you add more than the 483 Pokémon that are already there? I just thought that you might be able to have it go #482 Shaymin, #483 Arceus, #484 Fakémon, #485 Fakémon etc.?

If the game doesn't allow for this, then that is fine, but if it does, please tell me.

MR.GLITCH_KING
February 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
it does allow it

u can put as many pokemon as u want

btw nj poccil

ali madan
February 3rd, 2008, 05:16 AM
hi, I got a problem in the encounters, every time error apear:

Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonEncounters:140:in `pbEncounteredPokemon'
PokemonEncounters:174:in `pbGenerateEncounter'
PokemonField:439:in `pbOnStepTaken'
Game_Player*:620:in `update_old'
Walk/Run:25:in `update'
Scene_Map:99:in `update'
Scene_Map:109:in `update'
Scene_Map:65:in `main'
Scene_Map:62:in `loop'

And how can I make the map, how can I make this place is pallet town!!! And please don't tell me to read the notes because I already did, and for the map problem can put for me the tutorial with pictures!!!

poccil
February 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Add the following line to line 140 of the script section PokemonEncounters:

return nil if !encounter

NeoStar
February 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Wow this new versions more than i expected keep up the good work!

Lorem Ipsum
February 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Is there a way I can make the character limit for Pokémon names bigger than they are at the moment?

ali madan
February 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
thanks poccil your the best

Krobelus
February 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM

Always aim to please yea Poccil? Anyway just a few questions that might come up, because I didn't see any update (for this release) in your Notes.Html.

Which fields in Metadata define the animations for the Hidden Move/Fishing Animations?

Where does one put for the battle sprite of the partner trainer, and what should I name it?

Can you call a wild encounter with two Pokemon separate from having a partner trainer as long as you have 2 Pokemon in your party?

I think thats all for now, thanks Poccil!

-Krobe

poccil
February 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
The information on the fishing sprite is contained in the section "Miscellaneous".
The hidden move animation resembles the GBA games and cannot be changed.

I've recently changed the metadata so that the back of the trainer now depends on the
player's trainer type. It is to be placed in Graphics/Pictures/ and has a filename
of trbackXXX.png, where XXX is the trainer type's ID number. Trainer backs for partner
trainers and other trainers are defined in the same way.

For question three, no, that's not possible.

Krobelus
February 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
@Poccil - Thanks, that's all I needed to know! But for some reason, I get a script hanging error, and I'm still not sure why it happens. In any case, when I was talking about the hidden move part, I thought it was the same as the fishing one, where you see your character using the Pokeball, animation.

Anyway, if you can explain why the scripts hang sometimes, I would appreciate it, because of it, production of Pokemon Krobelus is on hold =P

-Krobe

phoenixprime88b5
February 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Could you post your events/scripts, then? It's very hard for me to help you if we can't see where the problem is.

I found out what I did wrong and found the problem, It's been fixed. Thanks for your help though. I do have aanother question though, is there a way to add the music during the character surfing, or using the bike like in the games?

NeoStar
February 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
I've recently changed the metadata so that the back of the trainer now depends on the
player's trainer type. It is to be placed in Graphics/Pictures/ and has a filename
of trbackXXX.png, where XXX is the trainer type's ID number. Trainer backs for partner
trainers and other trainers are defined in the same way.

So that goes for the trainers you define in trainers.txt too? like say i have a trainer called Youngster Joey and his id number is 098 id just name my backround joeyback098.png?

*edit*
Nope doesnt work hmm....

Firemaker
February 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
you do "trback098". Poccil, can you make the biker and the walker the same person? It gets strange that when you use the bike, you change clothes :o

NeoStar
February 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
you do "trback098". Poccil, can you make the biker and the walker the same person? It gets strange that when you use the bike, you change clothes :o

oh duh *feels dumb* and for your question you have to change your trainer bike graphic in your metadata.txt to a bike graphic with your player on it.

phoenixprime88b5
February 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Is there a way to add the music during the character surfing, or using the bike like in the games? And I followed the instructions on the notes and in trainers.txt and the partner trainer isn't working, i get this:

RMXPUser462
February 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
nice to see some new updates to your game poccil, but i get the same error as well, will you help some nubs? :)

poccil
February 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
phoenixprime88b5:

What was the Script event command you used that caused the error above? There was a syntax error in that event command.

RMXPUser462
February 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
i believe he used the one that your site said to use, the pbRegisterPartner command, i did the same thing and got an error :\

phoenixprime88b5
February 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
RMXPUser462 is correct, i used the script command from the notes that came with the SK and that's what gave me the syntax error.

poccil
February 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM
It was a mistake on my part. The note should have read:

pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_Cheryl,"Cheryl",0)

ali madan
February 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM
hi, can somebody tell me what place this will be in the map please? and please don't tell me to read the note because I already have done this before!

and how can I add an item???

Lorem Ipsum
February 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Don't understand your first question, and for the second one, you can find it in notes.

pbAddItem(PBItems::Potion)

I think that's how you do it, anyway.

Krobelus
February 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM
@Lorem Ipsum - You might want to disable smileys when you post, to prevent stuff like :P to happen.

@Poccil - Just a few things you should take into consideration for the starter kit:
1. Faster EXP gain. Each time I gain exp, it's really slow. And I would much appreciate if it were faster.

2. In TrainerNames.txt, I would like it if you could optionally choose the vol. of the bgm you might have put for a certain trainer name. Some bgms are louder than others, and they are usually, for me, fixed in events, but not for trainers.

3. Theres something wrong with the HM01 Cut. Each time I try to use it, the name CUT is replaced by nothing, and in turn, I cannot teach it to any of my Pokemon, might be the same thing with other HMs, not sure, but it might be something you might wanna take a look into.

-Krobe

phoenixprime88b5
February 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Is there a way to add the music during the character surfing, or using the bike like in the games?

poccil
February 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Krobelus:

Point 2 is already supported. Although I didn't document it, putting a colon after the filename followed by the volume will adjust the volume. For example, "file.mid:50" sets the volume to 50 percent.

Krobelus
February 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
@Poccil - Oh okay, thanks so much! Do you know the reason for my third error?

Thanks.
-Krobe

Windsong
February 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hello.
Is there an RPG Maker VX Version of Pokemon Essentials?

Lorem Ipsum
February 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
No, I doubt it, because RPGVX is not yet released in English, and it is so new, the language used in it, RGSS 2, is not "ripe", as poccil has said in a previous post.

Krobelus
February 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
@Lorem Ipsum - Actually, it's released in two days, and it's already been released in Japan, and there are quite a few patches for it to be english. Also, RGSS 2 is like RGSS, but much cleaner. So it doesn't matter if it's in english or not, because the language stays the same =P

-Krobe

NeoStar
February 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
hi, can somebody tell me what place this will be in the map please? and please don't tell me to read the note because I already have done this before!

and how can I add an item???

I think what he means is how to add a totally new item. Id like to know the same thing myself because yeah its in notes.html but its really confusing. Can someone explain it?

ali madan
February 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
no I meant how to give the player a potion like that, and thanks...
But I mean by the map how to choose wich country you will have on the map!!!

(Example)
I want Pallet town to be near the sea on the map, or I want map 006 in the sea in the map!!

poccil
February 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Ah, I see. You want to associate a map with the region map. Here are the steps.

- While in a game, press F9 to open the debug menu, and then choose "Visual Editor".
- Press S, then choose a map from the list of maps.
- Double click on the map.
- In the list of settings, choose Map Position, then choose a map and position.

ali madan
February 7th, 2008, 04:00 AM
when I press S a problem appear:

Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `chooseMapScreen' for #<MapScreenScene:0x5048930>
PokemonEditor:1871:in `update'
PokemonEditor:1903:in `pbMapScreenLoop'
PokemonEditor:1900:in `loop'
PokemonEditor:1915:in `pbMapScreenLoop'
PokemonEditor:1925:in `pbEditorScreen'
PokemonEditor:1922:in `pbCriticalCode'
PokemonEditor:1927:in `pbEditorScreen'
PokemonDebug:927:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonDebug:927:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonDebug:927:in `pbDebugMenu'

poccil
February 7th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I was aware of that problem and I had fixed it in the most recent version. See also this:

Add the following code before the words "def update" before line 1842 of the script section PokemonEditor:

def chooseMapScreen(title,currentmap)
return pbListScreen(title,MapLister.new(currentmap))
end

It was a method I forgot to add there.

Krobelus
February 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hey Poccil, I remembered a few features in other Pokemon Games that you might wanna copy into your starter kit:
-Game Corner + Prize Shop
-Trade with NPC feature
-Customizable Music (in Metadata) for surfing/biking etc.
-Battle Tent...? (You pick 3 out of 6 temporary Pokemon randomly generated with random movesets, and you go through a tournament like system, and at the end you are rewarded with said item, whilst you return the chosen Pokemon and get your own back) (Like a Bug Catching Contest + Battle Tower)
-New Terrain Tag for arrow panels that shoot you in a direction until you hit something/another arrow panel, (kinda like ice but shoots you over non-ice tiles until forced to stop by a wall or Special Tile)
-Able to set which backpack is used by which gender, instead of using the same old one
-Secret Base (Only accessible by using Secret power)

-Krobe

ali madan
February 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
thanks but that wasn't what did I mean! I meant how did poccil choose what country will be on the pokegear!

For example:
How did poccil put his (area 3) on the pokegear map?

sorry if I didn't explain better before

Lorem Ipsum
February 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
It's all in notes.html.

Literally upload your own town map into the same directory as townmapgen.html, and then do what it says. It's pretty easy, actually.

.houndoomed
February 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Where do I go to change the male/female icons?

Lorem Ipsum
February 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
metadata.txt, at the very top of the page.

.houndoomed
February 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM
That's not what I meant. I meant the male/female graphics for the Pokemon, you know, the blue and red icons to show the Pokemon's gender?

Wichu
February 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
They're built into the fonts.
If you want to edit the shape, you'll need a font editor to edit the shape.
You'll have edit the colour manually in each script that uses it to change the colour.

Anyway, I have a slight problem with my Visual Editor - it opens fine, but none of the keys work (except from F5 and the exit keys (X, Esc etc). Basically, I can't do anything in it, except view the help and exit.

.houndoomed
February 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM
They're built into the fonts.
If you want to edit the shape, you'll need a font editor to edit the shape.
You'll have edit the colour manually in each script that uses it to change the colour.

I'm not sure how to do that. I don't see them in the fonts anyway. Do you know how to do it exactly?

TheRock1
February 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
uhh, i just downloaded the starter kit, i think the most updated version, it said it was uploaded feb 3rd i think anyways, this has to be of course the best PKMN stater kit out there. And i can see many people are making their own PKMN games now. I've been messing around with it and seemed to have "messed it up". I edited the test map and now the houses and tress etc. are flat. Couldn't seem to understand what I did. Thought it might have been a script error, but i haven't messed or even looked at the scripts yet. Does anyone seem to know what I did or what happened? Oh and also, is there any way to disable the D/P look? Can you make it look like Ruby, Saphire and so on?

Wichu
February 9th, 2008, 11:35 PM
The houses/trees were flat in the first place, because the Perspective view displays everything except Events flat.
To change it back to 2D, change the Map View type in Options to Original or Custom (I'd recommend Custom, as you can do a few more things with it).

TheRock1
February 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM
are you sure, i went to tools, options, then custom but its still the same.

Wichu
February 10th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I meant the Options menu in-game, as in the menu where you can choose the windowskin, battle style etc.
There's a way to have it as default, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned a few pages back. It involves editing one of the scripts.

TheRock1
February 10th, 2008, 02:11 AM
oh man, thanks! finally. Man and it was in the game too. I would have never thought of that.

ali madan
February 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
hi guys, I have a feature you didn't put! When you run on the sand foot prints show and you didn't do that in your starter kit

Wichu
February 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I tried out the Ice terrain tag, and it doesn't work. Would anyone happen to know what's wrong?

Glitchfinder
February 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I tried out the Ice terrain tag, and it doesn't work. Would anyone happen to know what's wrong?

If the ice terrain tag doesn't work, it's fairly easy to make an event that does the same thing...

poccil
February 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Released a new version.

* Fixed EXP gain animation problem
* Changed first map in demo to give more information in-game
* Added more formatting codes to message system
* Added debug option for teaching moves
* General memory fixes and improvements

For detailed changes, see this diff file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/changed_2008-02-11.txt).

MR.GLITCH_KING
February 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
as always thank you mr peter o

i still dont know why im dling these even though i dont plan on making a game lol

Aqua Mudkip
February 12th, 2008, 03:26 AM
MegaMudkipX: ... How do you change the characters charset? I forgot how to.... And I can't find in the notes how you can change a player's charset. And how do you add a pokemon in your party? Thanks.

Wichu
February 12th, 2008, 04:05 AM
To change the charset, edit section 000 of Metadata.txt. To add a Pokémon, use this:
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length<6
Script: pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::PIKACHU,5)
*insert text after getting the Pokémon here*
Else
*insert text if party is full here*
End
The actual script used is pbAddPokemon(X,Y), where X is either the number of the Pokémon or PBSpecies::NAMEOFPOKÉMON and Y is its level. The conditional branch checks whether there is space in the party.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in a tutorial for custom moves/abilities/items?

NeoStar
February 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Having another problem guys. This time when I try to add a badge.

Message: Script error within event 3, map 35 (Falkner's Gym):
Section092:32:in `pbLoadTrainer'undefined local variable or method `i' for #<Interpreter:0x4388730>
Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section092:31:in `each'
Section092:31:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section092:17:in `each'
Section092:17:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section092:8:in `each'
Section092:8:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section092:216:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `eval'

Section019:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `command_111'
Section019:292:in `execute_command'
Section019:190:in `update'
Section019:104:in `loop'
Section019:195:in `update'
Section021:98:in `update'
Section021:96:in `loop'
Section021:109:in `update'
Section021:65:in `main'

I tried even turning on all the badges like in the starter kit and I still get an error.

Wichu
February 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
That's interesting, I tried it just now and didn't get the error. Are you using this script?$Trainer.badges[0]=true
Anyway, another problem: when I enter some maps, the location doesn't show up properly when I save and when it shows the map name. It works in the Visual Editor though. One of my maps shows no name when I enter it, and another shows the name of the first map.

Krobelus
February 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Anyway, would anyone be interested in a tutorial for custom moves/abilities/items?

Yea, I would like one, also a proper way to add Phone Trainers/Partner Trainers =P

-Krobe

mad.array
February 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
More nice work poccil! You must have one hell of a strict routine to be able to do all of this!

NeoStar
February 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
@ Wichu: yeah thats what i used I even used $Trainer.badges[i]=true to set all the badges and it didnt work. Maybe I copied a script wrong or something ill try copying them all over again. Other than that i cant think of anything else its really weird.

Maruno
February 12th, 2008, 04:18 PM
To change the charset, edit section 000 of Metadata.txt.

I tried changing the charset, by copying the current charset Red.png and pasting in some other images (another charset with a blue background), but the problem is that the background is no longer cut out ingame. That is, there's a large white rectangle around my character. How does one get rid of this?

Also, this may be inconvenient for a lot of people, but is there any chance the tilesets can be rearranged/split to make them a bit more manageable? You know, floors, foliage, rocks, fences, ledges, buildings all in one spot? That'd make things a bit easier to work with, since you'd know all relevant (i.e. relevant to what you wanted at the time, e.g. a tree) tiles were in one place. They're mostly together already (I'm talking about the OverWorld one here, but it could apply to Inner as well), but there are still a few random trees and grass around the place. Not to mention the PokéCentre and PokéMart tilesets are missing a few textures (ones I've noticed: Computer monitor (Centre), some shadow floor tiles(Mart)) - they all seem to be in the Inner tileset, so they're just a case of copy and paste. A few tiles also run into others (e.g. bottom left of the round brown table in Inner, near the first bed you come across).

I'd offer to do this myself, but my spare time is sketchy at best (final year of University and all). Sorry.

Finally, I've noticed that when using a Rare Candy, there's a little text bar at the bottom asking which pokémon you want to feed it to. That's fine, that's how it should be. When you use it, another text window appears saying the pokémon levelled up, but then that text window disappears when it then shows the stat increase/new values window(s). This leaves the little text at the bottom asking which pokémon you want to use it on, while you're busy looking at the results of you having already used it, which looks wrong. Any chance you can get that text bar to stay throughout the stats?

Otherwise, a great piece of kit. Too much praise is not enough.

NeoStar
February 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Ended up not being the scripts. But the really weird part is I make a similar event on a different map it works perfectly..... I think what it is is that i was trying to make a custom move set because i get the same error when I make a trainer with custom moves. So heres my trainer names.txt for falkner...

LEADER
FALKNER
PIDGEY,7,10,SITRUSBERRY,TACKLE,SANDATTACK,AERIALACE,GUST
PIDGEOTTO,9,10,SITRUSBERRY,TACKLE,SANDATTACK,AERIALACE,GUST

I dont see anything wrong but thats the only thing that i can think of that could be causing my problem.

Wichu
February 13th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Maruno: try going to the Resource Manager and reimporting the charset.
Neostar, are your text files like this?
In Trainernames.txt:
###,LEADER_FALKNER,LEADER,100
In Trainers.txt:
[###]
LEADER_FALKNER
FALKNER
*Pokémon in here*

Otherwise, try SAND_ATTACK instead of SANDATTACK.

Henry987: If you mean the Visual Editor for Essentials, it's included with the game.
In test-play mode, press F9, and scroll down to Visual Editor.

Henry987
February 13th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I may sound like a noob.... but were do I find the Virtual Editor???

Wichu
February 13th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I posted this in my previous post:
If you mean the Visual Editor for Essentials, it's included with the game.
In test-play mode, press F9, and scroll down to Visual Editor.

.houndoomed
February 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
OK, I want this script to include three different Pokemon instead of just one. How would I go about doing this?

Conditional Branch: Script: $PokemonBag.pbHasSpecies?(::PBSpecies::CELEBI)
-- The Pokemon Celebi is in the party
Else
-- The Pokemon Celebi is not in the party
Branch End

NeoStar
February 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
@Wichu: No I make comments like this:

#-------------------
BIRDKEEPER
ROD
PIDGEY,7
PIDGEY,7
#-------------------
LEADER
FALKNER
PIDGEY,7,10,SITRUSBERRY,TACKLE,SAND-ATTACK,AERIALACE,GUST
PIDGEOTTO,9,10,SITRUSBERRY,TACKLE,SAND-ATTACK,AERIALACE,GUST
#-------------------
SAGE
NICO
BELLSPROUT,3
BELLSPROUT,3
BELLSPROUT,3
#-------------------

On both .txts and the really weird part is that it compiles just fine. I dont get the error untill the battle starts. And the only time it happens is when I try to make custom moves, all the other trainers work perfectly.

poccil
February 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
NeoStar:

For lines 31 through 33 of the script section PokemonTrainers, make sure those lines read like the following:

for k in 0...4
pokemon.moves[k]=PBMove.new(poke[4+k])
end

This was fixed in the February 3 release.

mechanicalblood
February 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
at first when i tried using your starter kit there was a conflict between softwares, but i fixed that with opening up in notepad and doing what you told houndoomed.
but after i did that and tried opening up the game it says "could not read hero data"
how do i fix this?

Lorem Ipsum
February 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Houndoomed: Try this script; it's simple Ruby telling the engine to repeat the action three times:

Conditional Branch: Script: 3.times do { $PokemonBag.pbHasSpecies?(::PBSpecies::CELEBI, ::PBSpecies::Pokémon, ::PBSpecies::Pokémon) } end
-- The Pokemon Celebi is in the party
-- The Pokémon _____ is in the party
-- The Pokémon _____ is in the party
Else
-- The Pokemon Celebi is not in the party
-- The Pokémon _____ is not in the party
-- The Pokémon _____ is not in the party
Branch End

Somebody will need to clarify this for me, but I believe that's how you would do it.

mechanicalblood: The game will encounter some errors when put through RPG Tsukkuru. I suggest upgrading to the proper version of RMXP, which you can buy from Enterbrain.

mechanicalblood
February 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
i updated it to PRGXP 1.02a
and now it says "failed to load actor data"
instead of "failed to load hero data"

NeoStar
February 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
NeoStar:

For lines 31 through 33 of the script section PokemonTrainers, make sure those lines read like the following:

for k in 0...4
pokemon.moves[k]=PBMove.new(poke[4+k])
end
This was fixed in the February 3 release.

That worked thanks I never updated my version to the februrary 3rd one. Its updated now thanks.

poccil
February 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Houndoomed:

It came to my attention that the documentation is a little wrong there. For your case, however, the Conditional Branch should look like:

pbHasSpecies?(PBSpecies::X) && pbHasSpecies?(PBSpecies::Y) && pbHasSpecies?(PBSpecies::Z)

where X, Y, and Z are three Pokemon species.

Wichu
February 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I have a problem with new moves:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4981/problem1gb5.pnghttp://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9578/problem2ll0.png
Ability should be Steadfast, moves should be Swords Dance, Aura Sphere, Close Combat and Dragon Pulse.
As you can see, the name and description for custom moves and abilities (and presumably items) doesn't show up. The move power and accuracy are there, and work in battle, but the names just don't show up.
This happens with all the new moves I added (the DP moves).

EDIT: I think I know how to fix it. It's probably because I didn't update Intl.txt. I'm just going to stop using Intl.txt for now.

.houndoomed
February 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Houndoomed:

It came to my attention that the documentation is a little wrong there. For your case, however, the Conditional Branch should look like:

pbHasSpecies?(PBSpecies::X) && pbHasSpecies?(PBSpecies::Y) && pbHasSpecies?(PBSpecies::Z)

where X, Y, and Z are three Pokemon species.

Thanks poccil. I'm just trying to figure out how to make the Professor give you a starter Pokemon.

So X, Y and Z are the starter Pokemon. But this script is only if you have all three Pokemon. Is there a way to change it so it sees if you have just one of the three Pokemon?

Or is there a better way to get the Professor to give you a Pokemon? Sorry, I'm still a kind of beginner at this..

Lorem Ipsum
February 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Houndoomed, it's as easy as using switches D:

xdanx
February 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
there's some way to compile a game with this engine using Molebox Pro? 'cause it gives "Failed to Load Script" Error and others :(

victorspvl
February 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I have some questions:

1-How do I add new attacks?

2-I wonder if you can do this:
When the switch 98 enabled you change the hero and all its items and pokémons disappear.
And when the switch 99 is enabled you once again the same character of the beginning of the game.
It is possible?

Glitchfinder
February 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I have some questions:

1-How do I add new attacks?

2-I wonder if you can do this:
When the switch 98 enabled you change the hero and all its items and pokémons disappear.
And when the switch 99 is enabled you once again the same character of the beginning of the game.
It is possible?

I believe Poccil answered question 1 in response to one of my questions several pages back. Just do a quick search of the thread.

Mrchewy
February 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know a way to set default values for options? For example: I want to set the default values for Font Style and Message Box to FRLG for both AND make it so users can't change them from FRLG. I tried editing some things in PokemonOption, but it didn't work.

Atomic Reactor
February 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
is there a way i could change the maximum amount of learnable moves from 4 to 6?

MR.GLITCH_KING
February 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
i got u mrchewy
wait bout 5 min and let me make sure it works

k here

open pokemonmap

and replace line 249-277

with

class PokemonSystem
attr_accessor :textspeed
attr_accessor :battlestyle
attr_accessor :frame
attr_accessor :font
attr_accessor :screensize
attr_accessor :battlescene
attr_accessor :tilemap
attr_accessor :textskin
def textskin
return (!@textskin) ? 0 : @textskin
end
def initialize
@frame=0
@battlestyle=0
@battlescene=0
@textspeed=2
@screensize=1
@font=2
@tilemap=1
@textskin=0
end
end

this would change the font

go to pokemonoption

go to line 229-236

replace it with this

EnumOption.new(_INTL("TEXT SPEED"),[_INTL("SLOW"),_INTL("MID"),_INTL("FAST")]),
EnumOption.new(_INTL("BATTLE SCENE"),[_INTL("ON"),_INTL("OFF")]),
EnumOption.new(_INTL("BATTLE STYLE"),[_INTL("SHIFT"),_INTL("SET")]),
EnumOption2.new(_INTL("FONT STYLE"),[_INTL("FRLG")]),
NumberOption.new(_INTL("FRAME"),_INTL("TYPE%d"),1,28),
EnumOption2.new(_INTL("SCREEN SIZE"),[_INTL("240x160"),_INTL("480x320"),_INTL("320x240"),_INTL("640x480")]),
EnumOption2.new(_INTL("MAP VIEW"),[_INTL("ORIGINAL"),_INTL("CUSTOM"),_INTL("PERSPECTIVE")]),
EnumOption2.new(_INTL("SPEECH FRAME"),[_INTL("DEFAULT"),_INTL("R/S"),_INTL("FIRE/LEAF"),_INTL("EMERALD")])

hope it works

Mrchewy
February 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
is there a way i could change the maximum amount of learnable moves from 4 to 6?

It's not possible. All the graphics in the kit are presuming that Pokémon have a maximum of 4 moves. Even if you manage to increase that maximum, most of the graphics will screw up.

i got u mrchewy
wait bout 5 min and let me make sure it works

Tried it, doesn't work.

MR.GLITCH_KING
February 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
wait
it works for me though look
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3998/vdbjl0.png

Mrchewy
February 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
This is what I got:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8963/fontao8.png

MR.GLITCH_KING
February 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
oh i see what u did wrong here

this

EnumOption.new(_INTL("FONT STYLE"),[_INTL("FRLG")]),

should be

there?

Wichu
February 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Theoretically, you could have 6 moves, if you adapted the graphics. However, you'd also have to change a lot of scripts, which would make updating a nightmare.

Mrchewy
February 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
oh i see what u did wrong here

this

EnumOption.new(_INTL("FONT STYLE"),[_INTL("FRLG")]),

should be

there?

Still no luck :( . I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, lol.

EDIT: Oh non! C'est catastrohpe! I'm having some serious problems with the BGM tracks. When I connect two maps, the music screws up when I go through the connection and the BGM changes. Sometimes the MIDIS only partly play (i.e only 1 instrument) or don't play at all. It's very frustrating!

MR.GLITCH_KING
February 16th, 2008, 04:20 AM
let me recheck mrchewy

bout 10 min

oh sry the error was on my side in pokemonmap should be

@font=0

instead of

@font=2

if this doesnt work im lost sry

Isom
February 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I seem to be having a problem, uhm I've made a new room and when I walk around in it I run into wild Pokemon. Is there a way to fix this?

Lorem Ipsum
February 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yes. In metadata.txt, you have to change the map id's data so that it is not outdoors, I think.

In other news, I want to edit the font specifications, but do not know how to do so. Please could you point this out to me?

Isom
February 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Okay, so I found metadata.txt, but it still shows the rooms that Pokemon Essentials Started with not the new one I made. how do I fix that?

Wichu
February 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
The problem is actually with Encounters.txt - to fix it, delete everything in the file.
Edit Metadata.txt from scratch as well, using notes.html to help you. This will get rid of other bugs, like day/night tinting on indoor maps.

Henry987
February 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
guys I need help, how do I do that trainers(im battling) have a shiny pokemon? and how do I do that it will be a shiny in the field(land,water and cave)?

Isom
February 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
The problem is actually with Encounters.txt - to fix it, delete everything in the file.
Edit Metadata.txt from scratch as well, using notes.html to help you. This will get rid of other bugs, like day/night tinting on indoor maps.

Thanks, that worked and helped.

As for your question Henry, I was wondering the same thing.

Windsong
February 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Can i make with this starterkit an perfekt and completly pokemon game?
And, how can i translate everything from the starterkit in german?

Isom
February 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Well, I don't know about perfect, but yes you can make a pretty good complete game with this as for translating. I don't really know.

Lorem Ipsum
February 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
sascha, in the debug menu, choose the option "Extract Text". The game will tell you what to do from there.

RMXPUser462
February 18th, 2008, 12:02 PM

just out of curiosity, i'm still getting an error when i post this, anyone wanna help me?

Atomic Reactor
February 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
how would i make it so that in an event one thing happens on monday, then a different outcome on a different day? i cant figure it out.i kno it would need a switch, i just dont kno what it would be named.

phoenixprime88b5
February 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I got this eror but it didn't show or make a errorlog for it but i can't testplay my game:

Script 'PokmonBag' line 812: NoMethodError occurred
undefined method '[]' for nil:NilClass

*Edit*
I found the probloem on my own, nevermind.

Lorem Ipsum
February 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
atomic_reactor: You would actually need a script, I think. There are no days defined in RMXP.

victorspvl
February 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
i have made the scene of Pokéballs(recovering pokémons) in pokémon center.
I think it could be placed on the Pokémon Essentials.
It was quite cool.
If anyone is interested I put here.

Curt200718
February 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
yea, it adds a little more of the pokemon feel to the game. I would like to add it.

Lorem Ipsum
February 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
May I ask which script controls the very beginning of the game? As in the copyright screen and title screen. Thank you.

poccil
February 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
A new version is now available, but it's just a maintenance release, no features were added. Code was changed and scripts added to make Pokemon Essentials compatible with RGSS 2, and moved trainer, item, and species constants to a separate data file, to prevent problems that can occur when a project is saved. Also, the Audio DLL was modified to help fix a bug in playback.

For detailed changes, see this diff

file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/changed_2008-02-19.txt).

Please send me private messages with any problems.

Wichu
February 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Lorem: The Scene_Intro script controls the "title screen", and the copyright screen. It is possible to insert more screens, as I did with the hero running animation.

.houndoomed
February 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM
May I ask which script controls the very beginning of the game? As in the copyright screen and title screen. Thank you.

At line 33, change '15' to change the copyright screen and '20' to change the speed of the 'Press Start' animation.

victorspvl
February 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
i have this question:
You can put a Battler in GIF format?
If it is possible to do what I have to work?

When i make,this error has raised.

Section061:222:in `load_bitmap'Failed to load bitmap: Graphics/Battlers/152.png
Section115:223:in `pbLoadPokemonBitmap'
Section068:1391:in `pbStartBattle'
Section070:527:in `pbStartBattleCore'
Section070:514:in `pbStartBattle'
Section082:273:in `pbWildBattle'
Section082:272:in `pbBattleAnimation'
Section082:272:in `pbWildBattle'
(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section018:1615:in `eval'

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'

Wichu
February 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
The scripts haven't been adapted for that yet. I'll work it out tomorrow, when I have the scripts in front of me.

victorspvl
February 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM
ok
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and :
why i make one autotile with terrain tag 8??????

Wichu
February 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
In-game, go to the Debug menu. The choose Terrain Tag editor.

victorspvl
February 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
no. in the debug menu you can edit the tileset, no autotiles...
and, wen i call $scene = Scene_Credits.new, this error as ocurried

Exception: RGSSError
Scene_Credits:52:in `initialize'
Scene_Credits:52:in `new'
Scene_Credits:52:in `main'
Main:18:in `mainFunction'
Main:7:in `pbCriticalCode'
Main:21:in `mainFunction'
Main:25
Main:24:in `loop'
Main:33

why?

Lorem Ipsum
February 20th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Is there a file called "Black" in the titles folder of your game?

victorspvl
February 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Is there a file called "Black" in the titles folder of your game?
yes
i have

maggi90w1
February 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Wow, this kit is really great. But I have one big problem:

How do I add the PokeTeam-Menu and the Pokedex to the Main-Menu?

And: Can someone explain the wild pokemon system? I don't get what the numbers at the top of the encounter files mean and how they are related to the tiles.

TIA

Wichu
February 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM
The Pokémon menu is added when you have a Pokémon in your party.

Mrchewy
February 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
The Pokémon menu is added when you have a Pokémon in your party.

... and the Pokedex only appears when your character has one. I'd suggest reading notes.html if you need help ;) .

maggi90w1
February 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
It worked out now. I have no idea why it didn't worked before.

I still have a problem with the encounter file. Is there any tutorial for wild pokemon encounters beside that one in the note file?

TheRock1
February 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I started using the starter kit again, this time to actually make a game. I made the players room, you get transferd there after the intro anyways, i walk around for a while and i get this message.

Expection: ArgumentError
POkeBattle_battle:235:in 'initialize'
PokemonField:203:in 'new'
PokemonField:203:in 'pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:414:in 'pbOnStepTaken'
Game_player*:620:in 'update_old'
Walk/Run:25:in 'update'
Scene_Map:99:in 'update'
Scene_Map:96:in 'loop'
Scene_Map:109:in 'update'
Scene_Map:65:in 'main'

This exception was logged in errorlog txt.

Anyone know why im getting pokemon battles on the "inner" tilset

Mrchewy
February 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM
Anyone know why im getting pokemon battles on the "inner" tilset

Read. The. Manual.

Honestly, while we try to help everyone, it's getting annoying seeing all these people asking stupid questions. You haven't edited encounters.txt, which handles wild Pokémon battles. Edit/clear that and you'll be fine.

sprugles555
February 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Right I have tried for a week now but havn't found a solution. I have my Odale Town and Thorndon which I want to connect together using a Route 01. But when I connect Route 01 to Odale Town. Thorndon(the village you start in) does not appear to connect to Route 01. If you delete Odale Town, Thorndon will connect to Route 01, but when Odale Town is added Thorndon doesn't connect and all I see is a black edge. If anyone knows why this is happening, I'd appreciate it if you'd help.

Minorthreat0987
February 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
So when I add new pokemon to the dex i add them right after 493, but there are icons for pokemon like deoxys forms and unown forms, so when i go to add the new icons i have to replace them, is there anyway i can avoid that without makeing a large space in the pokedex.....?

victorspvl
February 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
im my game every time Occurs this errors

BitmapCache:130:in `tile'
Sprite_Character:36:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:388:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:164:in `update'
PerspectiveTilemap:384:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:140:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
Spriteset_Map:26:in `each'
Spriteset_Map:26:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
BitmapCache:57:in `load_bitmap'
BitmapCache:115:in `tileset'
BitmapCache:130:in `tile'
Sprite_Character:36:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:388:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:164:in `update'
PerspectiveTilemap:384:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:140:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

Spriteset_Map:13:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:202:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:25:in `new'
Scene_Map:25:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:24:in `each'
Scene_Map:24:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:230:in `transfer_player'
Scene_Map:105:in `update'

Audio:123:in `Audio_bgm_play'
Audio:264:in `bgm_play'
Game_System:31:in `audioBgmPlay'
Game_System:51:in `bgm_play_ex'
Game_System:64:in `bgm_play'
Game_Map*:145:in `autoplay'
Scene_Map:235:in `transfer_player'
PokemonDebug:813:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonDebug:737:in `loop'
PokemonDebug:960:in `pbDebugMenu'

Why the Message: The script is taking too long. The game will restart.?

poccil
February 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've finished creating an editor for Pokemon Essentials. It contains all the editor commands from the debug menu,
but in a more convenient form with recent bug fixes. It is to be installed in the Pokemon Essentials folder
and requires a Pokemon Essentials project. Here is the address:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/ (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/editor.zip)pokestarter/editor.zip (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/editor.zip)

phoenixprime88b5
February 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I try to send a a demo to my friend but he gets this error when he tries to play it:

Exception: Win32::Registry::Error
RTP and Registry:201:in `open'
RTP and Registry:467:in `rtpGetPath'
RTP and Registry:481:in `audio_exist?'
Game_Map*:140:in `autoplay'

What's going on?

Glitchfinder
February 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
I try to send a a demo to my friend but he gets this error when he tries to play it:

Exception: Win32::Registry::Error
RTP and Registry:201:in `open'
RTP and Registry:467:in `rtpGetPath'
RTP and Registry:481:in `audio_exist?'
Game_Map*:140:in `autoplay'

What's going on?

it looks like you left it with the RTP still installed. (At least, that's why I assume it was looking for the "rtpGetPath" registry key) That's probably not the only problem, but all you have to do to fix that is to disable the RTP.

phoenixprime88b5
February 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
The RTP was disabled from the start, but the problem still occurs. I opened the game open to check and went to the Game option, then Select RTP, all three options were on: (None).

Henry987
February 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I need help It says that I can change the trainer back in the script mode, but I dont get it how do I do so he can throw the ball and his pokemon comes out....

Poccil I need help, I dont get this whit Townmagen.html..... and how do I change the trainer back in animation so he/she can throw the pokeball? and how do I get day/night system??? Plz help me or Pm me .......... THX!

Mrchewy
February 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I need help It says that I can change the trainer back in the script mode, but I dont get it how do I do so he can throw the ball and his pokemon comes out....

Poccil I need help, I dont get this whit Townmagen.html..... and how do I change the trainer back in animation so he/she can throw the pokeball? and how do I get day/night system??? Plz help me or Pm me .......... THX!

Read. The. Readme.

This kit was made for you own use and development, NOT so that we could spoon feed you with detailed instructions on how to do everything.

Lorem Ipsum
February 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
How do you change a font in a "Call Script" event? It's just I'm tacking something on to the beginning of the "New Game" thing, and the bgcolour is black. The thing is, the text is black as well...

So I need it coloured white. Whenever I try Font.color = Color.new(0,0,0,0), it doesn't work; I get a pbExecuteScript 2:(eval) error.

Mrchewy
February 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM
How do you change a font in a "Call Script" event? It's just I'm tacking something on to the beginning of the "New Game" thing, and the bgcolour is black. The thing is, the text is black as well...

So I need it coloured white. Whenever I try Font.color = Color.new(0,0,0,0), it doesn't work; I get a pbExecuteScript 2:(eval) error.

I might be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the custom formatting options included with Essentials work within scripts as well. For example, if you wanted white text to display, put '\c[8]' (no quotes) before the text.

Henry987
February 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
.... well it was only 2 things I was wondering about -_-..... so why can't I just ask for help?

WarOfKanto
February 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hi
I have downloded your Pokemon Essential and i found it simply fantastic.......
But i have a question for you....i'm making a Pokemon Game but i want use Pokemon Characters like in Mistery Dungeon......do you Know were i can find them????

Wichu
February 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Try the Spriter's Resource (search on Google).

RMXPUser462
February 26th, 2008, 03:59 PM

wonderin, i'm still getting the error, what am I doing wrong or is there still something wrong with it?

Mrchewy
February 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM
.... well it was only 2 things I was wondering about -_-..... so why can't I just ask for help?

Because both those questions are answered in notes.html.

Seriously, I find it odd how people will wait DAYS for someone to give them an answer when they can take two minutes to find it themselves.

Henry987
February 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Because both those questions are answered in notes.html.

Seriously, I find it odd how people will wait DAYS for someone to give them an answer when they can take two minutes to find it themselves.

ahhh! I see well the trainer animation did'nt I found in note but the day/night system I did :D thx Mirchewy

WarOfKanto
February 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Try the Spriter's Resource (search on Google).
I try this site but sprite's are too small for RPG Maker XP and probably i'm too noob and so i can't adapt them......please can yuo help me?!?

Wichu
February 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Open them in paint or another image editor, then resize to 200%.

Krobelus
February 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
If you try to resize or edit anything in Paint, then the background wont be transparent anymore, resulting in blocks of white around the image (unless the image has no transparency in the first place).

Download Paint.Net (search it), it's exactly like photoshop, only lighter, and easier.

-Krobe

.houndoomed
February 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I've got quite a complicated questions. You know the way the music in a wild/trainer battle starts? Here's an example: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/gba-pkmnfrlg-wildpkmnbattle.mid

Well, I want the battle to be able to play 2 different songs. The first song would be about the first 20 seconds of this song, and would only play ONCE. The second part would be 20 seconds onwards, which would keep on replaying itself.

If anyone doesn't understand what I'm trying to say, I'll explain it better.

Wichu
February 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
What filetype are you using? If it's MIDI I could help - I know how to set the loop points for MIDIs.

[email protected]
February 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Does anyone here know how to add a pokemon to your party, but it will know a specific move that it normaly won't learn? (If this is even possible) As my plot has alot to do with baby pokemon, yet none of them have attack moves, at the moment as I don't beleive they are coded in or, some just don't have any attack moves (Eg.Copycat is an attack not in).
Thanks, it's appreciated ^.^ ~Dusty

RMXPUser462
February 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM

wonderin, i'm still getting the error, what am I doing wrong or is there still something wrong with it?

seizes to amaze me how one man can't get a simple question answered :rambo:

Krobelus
February 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
@RMXPUser462 - It ceases to amaze me how people think half of us are telekinetic, and can read your mind. Why don't you explain in detail why it doesn't work? It's obvious that your doing something wrong, so post your event, and explain your situation better.

@[email protected] - You could always just, add in Pokemon.txt, put whatever Baby Pokemon in there, to learn a move at, let say, lv.2, so that when it hatches, it'll already know said move. The only thing is, that it'll always know that move, when the player breeds.

-Krobe