PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

poccil
September 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Pokemon functionality suite for RPG Maker XP, which started as a modification of Flameguru's Pokemon starter kit, and eventually ended as a rewrite
of practically everything. Pokemon Essentials incorporates my Pokemon Advance battle system along with many new features I added.

Please use the link in my signature to access it.

I would like to make a request: Please report all problems and error logs to me through private messaging, rather than to this thread. It's more convenient for me that way.

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Essentials_downloads

Flameguru
September 7th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I must say Poccil, you are a very skilled Coder. You are going to make it so much easier for the 100's of RMXP Users who want to make a Pokemon Game.

On behalf of them and myself, I say Thankyou! Keep up the good work.

Bruno1440
September 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Its still a bit difficult to figure out some things , like how do you change the pokemons that u recieve from the girl ? u should put more comments...=) thanks, Bruno

Flameguru
September 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Me and Fangking were just discussing that this could potentially ruin all Fangame making. For the good of the community this should be taken down and out of reach by super noobs.

Thats our opinion though. What should happen is regulated releases. Like in order for people to obtain this, they should already have a lot of Maps and Details of their game.

poccil
September 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Me and Fangking were just discussing that this could potentially ruin all Fangame making. For the good of the community this should be taken down and out of reach by super noobs.

Thats our opinion though. What should happen is regulated releases. Like in order for people to obtain this, they should already have a lot of Maps and Details of their game.

Maybe. As it is, the features I created can be difficult to use by less experienced programmers.

Flameguru
September 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thats true. So what really needs to be done yet? Like by the looks of it, a Pokemon Stats Screen, PokeDex, and a finished Bag is all. Seeing as PokeGear Scripts are out there and I have them.

The only things I don't like is the Pokemon Selection Screen because it looks like Diamond and Pearl, not FR/LG/R/S/E. Also, the Name Input system isn't as nice as the one found in Blizzy's kit, so I'd like to see that get changed too.

Other than that everything looks awesome. The Computer System is excellent, and of course the Battle System is also awesome.

Bruno1440
September 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
The exp sys needs to be changed i think! beacause the exp bar doesnt increase! and some bugs in pokemon selection, when you switch position of the pokemons u should do a refresh so u dont need to return to menu and enter again to see the changes! Oh and sorry for my other questions, ive figured it out some ones...but i still cant see how do u change the pokemons that u recieve from the girl hehe!

poccil
September 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Thank you both for your comments. Of course, this is a work in progress.

As for the Pokemon selection screen, I thought it was a neat trick to use the one from Diamond
and Pearl; apparently it doesn't work well here.

As for the experience system, it actually does work perfectly, I just didn't add code yet to animate
the experience bar. Combined with the fact that the wild Pokemon's levels are relatively low, this
may create the false impression that the Pokemon don't actually gain experience.

I should have made it clear which Pokemon are received in the game.

Bruno1440
September 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah i didnt test with pokemons with a greater level xD
But i really dont understand the code to give pokemons when u talk to her! at the event has some wierd script that i cant understand...-.-' im just new at scripts =D

Flameguru
September 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I would like to know how to change the Wild Pokemon. I changed the .txt file but nothing happens.

Yeah i didnt test with pokemons with a greater level xD
But i really dont understand the code to give pokemons when u talk to her! at the event has some wierd script that i cant understand...-.-' im just new at scripts =D

In the Script called --PB2-- there are the following lines of code:

def pbCreatePokemon
$Trainer.party[0]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(1,20,$Trainer)
$Trainer.seen[1]=true
$Trainer.owned[1]=true
$Trainer.party[1]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(4,20,$Trainer)
$Trainer.party[2]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(7,20,$Trainer)
$Trainer.party[3]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(10,20,$Trainer)
$Trainer.party[4]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(13,20,$Trainer)
$Trainer.party[5]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(16,20,$Trainer)
end

Simply change the first number to the Pokemon's Number and the second Number to the desired Level. So to make a Level 50 Mew, use this Code:

$Trainer.party[0]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(151,50,$Trainer)

Hope I helped ;)

EDIT: OMG HAX!!! Lol, this is what you could change them to:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/Harshboy/omg_hax_lolz.png

Bruno1440
September 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks man it really healped =)
hey this is so awsome the best starter kit ever!
COntinue! u will do it! =D

Flameguru
September 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
So, if anyone here or Poccil can tell me how to change wild Pokemon, that'd be cool :)

poccil
September 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
To change the wild Pokemon, edit the file encounters.txt in the game folder, and then run a playtest of the game from RPG Maker XP, since it sets the $DEBUG global variable to true. If you already tried to edit that file, I'm afraid the instructions there weren't clear enough. The game doesn't use the text file directly, but rather accesses the data in a compiled form. If the $DEBUG global variable is set to true when the game starts, the game will compile the text file to a format that it can understand.

Flameguru
September 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Oh, no wonder! I like never test the game in the editor, and I know that sounds stupid. Either way, thanks! Now then, lets edit me a text file hehe

.:Sam:.
September 8th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I don't plan to sound a complete n00b but I have been experimenting with your Battle System, building what you could say, a miniture project around it that'd take no more then a week to finish. I won't release it, its bassically just a test I would like to try for myself.

The problem is, the charsets. When you talk to them they do not face the direction that you are standing, they stay fixed to facing a single way, how do you change that?

Also, I am having trouble with Trainer Battles. Have they been done yet? I want to set a certain amount of Pokemon, that I have choosen so that the trainer uses them.

Thanks for your time,

Flameguru
September 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
You can make them face you by using Event Commands. Just Insert this above the text or whatever

Set Move Route: This Event
$>Turn toward Player

To do that:

Right Click, Insert
Goto Page 2 of the Event Commands Window and Click Set Move Route
In the drop down box select This Event
Then Click on the Turn Toward Player Button
Click Ok
Right Click, Insert
Goto Page 2 of the Event Commands Window and Click Wait for Move's Completion
Click Ok

Insert the rest of the event blow these 2 Events Directions.

September 8th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks. That really did help, one question remains. How am I able to do the Withdraw/Deposit System. What script would I need to use? This is for items, not Pokemon.

poccil
September 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry but the item storage system hasn't been implemented yet.

September 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Ah. I'll improvise for the time being. Once again I apologise for sounding like a complete and utter n00b. Anyway now that my questions have passed I will give you my thoughts on your Battle System, and all the other Scripts that came along with it.

Upon Startup, I really like the naming system, I found it allot more reliable then the one found in Blizzy's starter kit. It is more quicker and picks up the keys pressed instantly. The Custom Menu System shows much potential, the only thing that needs improving is the Pokemon menu, as you've probaly been told time and time again. It dosen't fit in well with the Fire Red/Leaf Green graphics.

Last but not least I shall share with you what I thought of your Custom Battle System. The Custom Battle System is...WOW, simply WOW. You have done an incredible job with creating it, you are by far one of the best Ruby scripters out there. It's easy to edit, and extremely reliable. I think that is not far from perfect.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for your Project/

~Tiger778

poccil
September 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you for your comments.

I have already finished a new Pokemon screen similar to the Advance generation, and it will be part of the next release.

Flameguru
September 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thank you for your comments.

I have already finished a new Pokemon screen similar to the Advance generation, and it will be part of the next release.

Yayz!

Anyway, I just finished porting Metallic Silver to your"Kit". I'm assuming I should just have to replace the scripts file found in the Data Folder, the PBS Folder, and some Graphics...correct?

Minorthreat0987
September 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
this is really good.

but does anyone know how to make a pokemon choice event like the real game.

Like if you choose Cyndaquil, you get the pokemon cyndaquil, but if you choose Totodile, you get the pokemon totodile instead.

thanks.

The systems for this are virtually flawless, good job poccil. =]

Glitchfinder
September 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
this is really good.

but does anyone know how to make a pokemon choice event like the real game.

Like if you choose Cyndaquil, you get the pokemon cyndaquil, but if you choose Totodile, you get the pokemon totodile instead.

thanks.

The systems for this are virtually flawless, good job poccil. =]

You know what, I'll upload a demo with that in a couple of days. Trust me, it's EASY. All you have to do is make it like the one on FR/LG, instead of attempting DP/RS style ones. What you do is you make three events (give them Pokeballs for graphics), and when the player presses enter on them, they display a picture of, say, bulbasaur (edited with its frame), then they ask a message like "So you want the Grass Pokemon, Bulbasaur?" and then give you a choice of "Yes" or "No". Then, if they say yes, you use the script function to actually give them the Pokemon.

Flameguru
September 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Alright, thanks for PMing me Poccil about the update (He just updated it again today) He added an Advance Pokemon Selection Menu (To replace the D/P one) and Trainer Battles.

I will be updating my Pokemon Metallic Silver Demo tonight. Also Minorthreat0987, check your PMs ;)

EDIT: If anyone can't figure out how to set up Wild or Trainer Battles, here are what I made. These are somewhat easier than Poccil's directions.

Trainer Battles
# ------------------------------------------------------
# Pokemon Metallic Silver Pokemon Trainer Encounters
#
# This File contains all Pokemon Trainer Data, and more specifically
# the Pokemon that they use, the move sets, Names, IV's, Items, and
# more! There are many ways to set it up, but here is the most common.
#
#
# LEADER_Roxanne Trainer Type
# Roxanne Trainer Name
# 1,FULLRESTORE,FULLRESTORE Number of Pokemon and upto 4 Items
# GEODUDE,16 Pokemon and Level
#
# TRIATHLETE_FemaleCyclist Trainer Type
# Cindy Trainer Name
# 2 Number of Pokemon
# MAGNEMITE,16 Pokemon and Level
# PIKACHU,12 Pokemon and Level
#
#
# There are also advanced ways to create the Trainers Pokemon, such as
# the folloing. Steelix is Level 22 with 20 IVs, it's holding a Sitrus
# Berry and knows Sandstorm, Iron Tail, Iron Defense, and Earthquake.
#
# STEELIX,22,20,SITRUSBERRY,SANDSTORM,IRONTAIL,IRONDEFENSE,EARTHQUAKE
#
# Trainers
YOUNGSTER
Joey
SENTRET,2
SAILOR
Rick
CORPHISH,3
CAMPER
Charlie
WINGULL,3
PICNICKER
Kelly
SANDSHREW,2
EKANS,2
PICNICKER
Rachel
EKANS,2
GEODUDE,3
CAMPER
Matt
WINGULL,5
TAILLOW,4
PICNICKER
May
CHINCHOU,6
PIKACHU,5
# End

Wild Pokemon Encounters
# Pokemon Metallic Silver Wild Pokemonn Encounters
# This File contains all Wild Pokemon Data. This File, when in Debug Mode, will be
# converted into a Data File used by RPG Maker XP. Firstly, the Number of the Map is
# Placed before the name of the map. Then, Each Map is broken down into Land, Water,
# and more.
#
# Each subsection contains one of the following:
# - Land - Grass (Terrain Tag 2)
# - Cave - Caves (Terrain Tag 2)
# - Water - Ocean/River (Terrain Tag 6/7)
# - RockSmash - Smashable Rocks (Events)
# - OldRod - Fished with Old Rod (Events)
# - GoodRod - Fished with Good Rod (Events)
# - SuperRod - Fished with Super Rod (Events)
#
# After that follows the encounter data. For Land and Cave encounter types,
# each entry must have a species and level, separated by commas. Rarer
# species should be placed lower in the list. For all other encounter types,
# each entry must have a species, minimum level, and maximum level, separated by
# commas.
#
# Each species entered must be capitalized with no spaces. This is for Simplicity.
#
# However, there are some exceptions with the Following Pokemon:
# - NIDORANmA (Male Nidoran)
# - NIDORANfE (Female Nidoran)
# - FARFETCHD (Farfetch'd)
# - MR_MIME (Mr. Mime)
# - PORYGON2 (Porygon 2)
#
# Depending on the encounter type, the number of entries required varies:
# - Land/Cave: 12 entries
# - Water/RockSmash: 5 entries
# - OldRod: 2 entries
# - GoodRod: 3 entries
# - SuperRod: 5 entries
#
# The Higher up any certain Pokemon is on the Encounters list, the more of a chance
# the player has to encounter it in a Wild Battle. This repeats itself for Each
# Encountering Zone, such as Land or Water.
# Encounters
032 # Johto - Route 29
Land
HOOTHOOT,2
HOOTHOOT,3
HOPPIP,3
HOPPIP,2
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
RATTATA,3
HOOTHOOT,2
RATTATA,2
004 # Valencia Island - Route 501
Land
RALTS,2
PIDGEY,3
CHINCHOU,2
NIDORANfE,3
RALTS,3
PIDGEY,2
CORSOLA,3
NIDORANfE,4
SENTRET,3
FARFETCHD,2
CHINCHOU,2
CORSOLA,4
025 # Tangelo Island - Route 502
Land
EKANS,3
PIKACHU,4
CHINCHOU,3
SANDSHREW,3
TAILLOW,3
WINGULL,3
CORSOLA,3
HOUNDOUR,4
PIKACHU,4
FARFETCHD,4
TAILLOW,3
CORSOLA,4
# End

yaoimutt
September 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
i'm having problems, it wont open for me, i just get an error when i try, what's going on?

phoenixprime88b5
September 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
This demo you made is almost perfect Poccil, I have to give you a video game version of an oscar for this great pokemon starter kit. I'm really, I've been trying to make a pokemon game for a while and i just stumbed upon this and freaked after downloading the kit. toshay, man, really. All you need is the bag sytem, item deposit/withdrawl system for the pc, pokemon stats and pokedex like one of the other guys said on here and it's damn there complete. I guess the people who decide to make a game from this will have to figure out how to add more trainers and the other pokemon from diamond and pearl to have the complete 493 but that can probably be dealt with later if your busy which you probably are> Thanks again though, your my RPG Maker XP hero!

NytewolfAU2k7
September 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Great work! This should help my new game Pokemon Adventure! Offline...

Flameguru
September 10th, 2007, 02:41 AM
i'm having problems, it wont open for me, i just get an error when i try, what's going on?

Do you have the legal version of RMXP? If not then that's why. You need to have the RGSS102E.dll.

Also, when I downloaded it 2 days ago the files were all in the root and not in the normal setup that uses RMXP.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Strange, I can't see any text at all, It's all blank :(

Edit: Installed the ruby and sapphire fonts and it worked :)

Minorthreat0987
September 10th, 2007, 05:03 AM
i dont know if you can fix it or not but i noticed that when you jump, or surf(because it looks like it uses a jump command) the player shifts down a fex pixles, it causes noticable unlevelness when talking to NPCs and when you go under things that are on the top layer(tree tops, the tops of roofs, ect.) your feet stick out haha. Ill take a screen later if need be. but do you think you could fix it.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Also, when I downloaded it 2 days ago the files were all in the root and not in the normal setup that uses RMXP.

I think I just experienced that problem. I managed through trial and error to put the files in the correct locations and run without errors...

September 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I'm afraid I was unable to get my copy to work. It seems that the files are all missed placed, I tried moving into the right folders but was once again met by another crash...

phoenixprime88b5
September 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Um.. When you guys finish the pokemon starter kit completely, how do I apporiately give you guys credit, name wise. I just want to make sure, because you guys really do deserve every bit of it.

Flameguru
September 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Guys? The only person making it is Poccil, I'm simply telling people how to use it and helping people use it.

Also, if anybody wants me to, I can upload the "Starter Kit" in it's correct way...

Bruno1440
September 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Flameguru sorry for the question, i would like to take your help yeah again, one thing ive read the script that u made to make trainer battles, but how can i call them by event? the wild and the trainers? thank you, Bruno

Flameguru
September 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Flameguru sorry for the question, i would like to take your help yeah again, one thing ive read the script that u made to make trainer battles, but how can i call them by event? the wild and the trainers? thank you, Bruno

Only Trainer Battle require events. Wild Pokemon Battles are purely based on the encounters.txt file while Trainer battles are event and the trainer.txt file.

To do a trainer battle, Edit the trainers .txt file with the Pokemon and trainer type and name you want. You can use mine for an example:

# Pokemon Metallic Silver Pokemon Trainer Encounters
#
# This File contains all Pokemon Trainer Data, and more specifically
# the Pokemon that they use, the move sets, Names, IV's, Items, and
# more! There are many ways to set it up, but here is the most common.
#
#
# Roxanne Trainer Name
#
# Cindy Trainer Name
# 2 Number of Pokemon
#
#
#
#
# Trainers
YOUNGSTER
Joey
SENTRET,2
SAILOR
Rick
CORPHISH,3
CAMPER
Charlie
WINGULL,3
PICNICKER
Kelly
SANDSHREW,2
EKANS,2
PICNICKER
Rachel
EKANS,2
GEODUDE,3
CAMPER
Matt
WINGULL,5
TAILLOW,4
PICNICKER
May
CHINCHOU,6
PIKACHU,5
# End

Now to make Trainer Encounter events for lets say...Picnicker May and Camper Charlie, put the following in an Event:

Picnicker May:

Name the Event Trainer(X) when X equals the sight of view for the Trainer to see the Player and start a battle.
On Page 1:

@>Script: pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
@>Text: Don't think I'll be a pushover!
@>Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PICNICKER,"May","Ok, you win fair and square!")
@>Control Self Switch: A = On
@>
: Branch End
@>

Now, Make a new Page and on Page 2, check the Self Switch Tab and make it so that in the drop down box it says A (So it will fully say A is On)

Camper Charlie:

Name the Event Trainer(X) when X equals the sight of view for the Trainer to see the Player and start a battle.
On Page 1:

@>Script: pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
@>Text: Don't think I'll be a pushover!
@>Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::CAMPER,"Charlie","A very good battle, indeed.")
@>Control Self Switch: A = On
@>
: Branch End
@>

Now, Make a new Page and on Page 2, check the Self Switch Tab and make it so that in the drop down box it says A (So it will fully say A is On)

There you go, that is how you can make multiple Trainer Encounters using my basic trainers.txt file. Now to make Wild Battles, just read my encounters.txt below:

# Pokemon Metallic Silver Wild Pokemonn Encounters
# This File contains all Wild Pokemon Data. This File, when in Debug Mode, will be
# converted into a Data File used by RPG Maker XP. Firstly, the Number of the Map is
# Placed before the name of the map. Then, Each Map is broken down into Land, Water,
# and more.
#
#
# each entry must have a species, minimum level, and maximum level, separated by
# commas.
#
# Each species entered must be capitalized with no spaces. This is for Simplicity.
#
# - MR_MIME (Mr. Mime)
# - PORYGON2 (Porygon 2)
#
#
# The Higher up any certain Pokemon is on the Encounters list, the more of a chance
# the player has to encounter it in a Wild Battle. This repeats itself for Each
# Encounters
032 # Johto - Route 29
Land
HOOTHOOT,2
HOOTHOOT,3
HOPPIP,3
HOPPIP,2
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
RATTATA,3
HOOTHOOT,2
RATTATA,2
004 # Valencia Island - Route 501
Land
RALTS,2
PIDGEY,3
CHINCHOU,2
NIDORANfE,3
RALTS,3
PIDGEY,2
CORSOLA,3
NIDORANfE,4
SENTRET,3
FARFETCHD,2
CHINCHOU,2
CORSOLA,4
025 # Tangelo Island - Route 502
Land
EKANS,3
PIKACHU,4
CHINCHOU,3
SANDSHREW,3
TAILLOW,3
WINGULL,3
CORSOLA,3
HOUNDOUR,4
PIKACHU,4
FARFETCHD,4
TAILLOW,3
CORSOLA,4
# End

Hope I helped ;) If you don't understand any of this, you probably shouldn't be using Poccil's "Starter Kit"

Bruno1440
September 10th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I understand but still doesnt work, i did it all and all i get is error...
See the different type of errors
with the script pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))in:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9814/error2rz0.png (http://imageshack.us)

And since it didnt worked i take it out but still got other error.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4923/error1uv5.png (http://imageshack.us)

poccil
September 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
To resolve this problem in the short term, use "Kernel.pbNoticePlayer" in the script instead of "pbNoticePlayer". For the second error, it shouldn't happen if there is a script section called "PBTrainers", generated when running the project from RPG Maker XP.

venom12
September 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
The Starter kit don't want to work with my game.
Look on screen
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1065/bdjd6.png

Minorthreat0987
September 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6659/trainererrorte3.png
This is the error i recieve when ever i try to call a trainer that is not the first on the list in the trainer.txt file.

# Pokemon Golden Heights Pokemon Trainer Encounters
#
# Roxanne Trainer Name
#
# Cindy Trainer Name
# 2 Number of Pokemon
#
#
#
#
# Trainers
#------Trainers With Two Pokemon-----
BUGCATCHER
DON
CATERPIE,3
CATERPIE,3

#------Trainers With One Pokemon----
YOUNGSTER
Joey
RATTATA,4

RIVAL
???
EEVEE,5

YOUNGSTER
Mikey
PIDGEY,2
for example if i try and have a trainer battle with anyone other than Bugcatcher Don, i recieve the above error and the game freezes. any ideas about fixing it?

Flameguru
September 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Well, I know why but that should only happen if Poccil hasn't updated the Essentials Kit. I notified him of that and he sent some patch files via PM a few days ago (I think Sunday) Anyway, PM Poccil and tell him to upload the latest version of his Essentials or ask for the patch files.

Minorthreat0987
September 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
EDIT:
Nevermind haha i fixed it. I was pasting the script file in with the game open and when i oped the script edit it reverted back to the old scripts so i just had to close RMXP now it works perfectly.

Crazy Weavile
September 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I worship you- but I think you should have quality control on it. We don't want someone taking it a step further, letting some noob make "Pokemon Horseradish" and "Pokemon Barbecue", do we?

venom12
September 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM
How to add Pokegear to this kit.

Flameguru
September 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well, I have succesfully added PokeGear to the menu but I can't get it to open the script. I'll keep trying and once I get it to work I'll post a tutorial.

Poccil, don't waste your time making PokeGear! I will worry about that and add it for you because I have the scripts for it and they work.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 13th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Incidentally, How do I edit that spiel that Prof Oak says? I'd like to make it more suited to my game.

mackoo
September 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Awsome, are you planning to add animation to Moves, or it is allready possible?

September 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Poccil, Can you tell me what needs to be done to create a new item. I want to make a Key Item called "Lab Key" and then I want an NPC to give it to me when I speak to him, and it to be put into the Key Item pocket...

Pokemorpher
September 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
All I can Say is awesome starter kit man! I've seen over 10 different starter kits but this 1 wins the trophy (If there was a trophy :().

But any way the kit works but when I talk to the lady that gives me the pokemon I get this error

h t t p : / / i m g 0 3 . p i c o o d l e . com / i m g / i m g
0 3 / 9 / 9 / 1 4 / f _ E r r o r m _ 4 4 e 0 f 3 1 . p n g

Just take away the spaces. I can't post URLS yet.

yaoimutt
September 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Incidentally, How do I edit that spiel that Prof Oak says? I'd like to make it more suited to my game.

that's simple, go to the map that says "Intro", then, in the upper left hand corner, click on the event, and edit away.

poccil
September 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Poccil, Can you tell me what needs to be done to create a new item. I want to make a Key Item called "Lab Key" and then I want an NPC to give it to me when I speak to him, and it to be put into the Key Item pocket...

I am trying to create a mechanism that allows custom items as well as the standard ones.

As for battle animations, no, I don't plan to create custom animations; however a separate project of mine is an animation editor designed especially for Pokemon battle animations: see

http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/animeditor/

♠εx
September 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Alright, i'm a bit new to this and a bit lazy.
How do I actually edit the maps? >_<.
Do I have to find it seperatly or is in your pack.
Thanks.

September 15th, 2007, 05:10 AM
What script do I use so that I am given a set Pokemon rather then the six.

I want a choice to be given Charmander, Bulbasaur or Squirtle.

poccil
September 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM
The demo uses the function pbCreatePokemon, found in the script section --PB2-- (now called PBUtilities.)

It is defined like this:

def pbCreatePokemon
party=[3,6,9,12,15,18] # Species IDs of the Pokemon to be created
for i in 0...party.length
species=party[i]
# Generate Pokemon with species and level 20
$Trainer.party[i]=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,20,$Trainer)
$Trainer.seen[species]=true # Set this species to seen and owned
$Trainer.owned[species]=true
end
end

This function, not defined in the latest release, can make it easier to add Pokemon to a party:

def pbAddPokemon(species,level)
if $Trainer.party.length==6 && $PokemonStorage.full?
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("There's no more room for Pokemon!\1")
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("The Pokemon Boxes are full and can't accept any more!")
return false
end
speciesname=PBSpecies.getName(species)
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("#{$Trainer.name} obtained #{speciesname}!\1")
pokemon=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,level,$Trainer)
$Trainer.seen[species]=true
$Trainer.owned[species]=true
if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage("Would you like to give a nickname to #{speciesname}?")
helptext="#{speciesname}'s nickname?"
newname=pbEnterText(helptext,0,10)
pokemon.name=newname if newname!=""
end
if $Trainer.party.length<6
$Trainer.party[$Trainer.party.length]=pokemon
else
oldcurbox=$PokemonStorage.currentBox
storedbox=$PokemonStorage.pbStoreCaught(pokemon)
curboxname=$PokemonStorage[oldcurbox].name
boxname=$PokemonStorage[storedbox].name
if storedbox!=oldcurbox
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("Box \"#{curboxname}\" on someone's PC was full.\1")
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("#{pokemon.name} was transferred to box \"#{boxname}.\"")
else
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("#{pokemon.name} was transferred to someone's PC.\1")
Kernel.pbDisplayMessage("It was stored in box \"#{boxname}.\"")
end
end
return true
end

September 15th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Thanks Poccil that'll help a lot!

Minorthreat0987
September 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM
im using this in my game, and i was wondering, is there anyway that with the next release you can make the messages (like ingame text) have a box like the advance generation, while keeping the menu, as the skin chosen in the options menu.

thanks this is awsome.

Bruno1440
September 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Trainers problem resolved! now the prob is that when i press x to open the menu it opens but you can keep walking with it opened!

poccil
September 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I have released a new version of Pokemon Essentials. Some of the new features include:
A Pokedex screen, a Pokemon Mart screen, evolution support, a finished summary screen,
as well as the Name Rater and Move Deleter. Also I have added a method to add custom
items to the game.

The problems with walking while the menu is open, as well as an EXP gain bug,
have already been resolved in a previous release and are still resolved in this one.

venom12
September 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Where you upload new version??

poccil
September 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I should have made it clear.

The new version is at the same address:

http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip

venom12
September 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks.

how to make one starter, you can choise one of three?

Flameguru
September 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Poccil, your kit seems to be glitching for me. It creates error logs and shows code in the Battle and the Pokemon Selection Screen. If you could take a look at whats going on, that'd be great :)

yaoimutt
September 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
My game starts out with 50 of every item, how do i fix this?

Shade
September 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
When I Try To Load The RMXP Project That Is In The Pokemon Starter Kit I Get This Error.
| |
V V

Project Could Not Be Read Due To Incompatibility Between Software Versions.

Revolution
September 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
When I Try To Load The RMXP Project That Is In The Pokemon Starter Kit I Get This Error.
| |
V V

Its either your using the Illegal version or he is and it cant read it.

| |
V V

Its either your using the Illegal version or he is and it cant read it.

yaoimutt
September 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I downloaded the new version and now it shows an error whenever i try to use an item in battle.

how can i fix this?

poccil
September 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
That problem is already resolved and is reflected in the latest build.

mackoo
September 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM
But will you add animations to moves?

poccil
September 15th, 2007, 10:40 PM
As I mentioned before, I don't plan to create custom animations.
However, a separate project of mine is an animation editor (http://upokecenter.com/projects/animeditor/) designed
especially for Pokemon battle animations. What I would like is for someone
to use that editor and create animations for some moves. That way I
can better decide how to best implement battle animations into
my battle system. (The existing animation system is not enough,
unfortunately, because some moves' animations require manipulating
the attacker and the opponent, which is supported by my animation
editor.) I could use it myself, but I am not very skilled
in making animations as I am in programming.

Pokemorpher
September 16th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Great job, you've got to be the best coder ever. Just 1 problem, everytime I try to check the summary of mew from the pc nothing happens. Try checking it out.

September 16th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Pokemorpher. I don't think that the Summary system has been implanted yet.

Anyway, I am having quite a frustrating problem involving the Custom Battle System...When you lose against a trainer instead of taking you to the last visited Pokemon Center, the player will be teleported outside the trainer, ready to battle him/her again...That I can deal with, but the real problem is event battles. Ie: A Rival/Gym Leader. When you lose against them, the even continues as if you had won. O.o

yaoimutt
September 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM
hopefully this will be the last time i ask for help, because i know your getting tired of me.

How do i change the badges or add them, and what badge do you need for what hm?

Pokemorpher
September 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM
When you talk to the guy who gives you the badges he explains everything, Just read.

OblivionMew
September 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I just wanna know how to change pokemon's names and stats to make new ones, how is it done!?

yaoimutt
September 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
When you talk to the guy who gives you the badges he explains everything, Just read.

Either you didn't fully read what i said, or i didn't explain right.

I want to know, HOW to ADD badges, or change the names of them. what i mean is that i want to know how to make it where there are MORE then just 8 badges. I want there to be 12 badges in my game, but you only need 8 to go to the league.

Anyways, my other question, how do i change the amount of exp that you get from battles, because when people play my game, they level up almost every battle for the first 14 levels.

i want to know how to make it where instead of 30, 60 or 90 exp after beating a lvl 3 pokemon, instead you get about 14-24 each time.

Flameguru
September 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Ok, I kinda was messing around with Poccils kit and since people are so stupid and can't figure out how to change the intro or make the 3 choices of Starter Pokemon, etc. I have made a Demo. This includes Poccils Starter Kit, Patches, and PokeGear. It also contains some other goodies.

Download Enhanced Starter Kit (http://dsinc.exofire.net/Files/Pokemon_Starter_Kit.zip)

If you liked this, don't forget to show your support by joining my site and/or Poccil's site. We could always use some support :)

Minorthreat0987
September 16th, 2007, 11:47 AM
is anyone else haveing trouble with evolution. Poccil said the new release has evolution support but When my pokemon reaches the evolution level it doesnt evolve, for example my Cyndaquil is at level 16, but it should have evolved at level 14.

Flameguru
September 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
is anyone else haveing trouble with evolution. Poccil said the new release has evolution support but When my pokemon reaches the evolution level it doesnt evolve, for example my Cyndaquil is at level 16, but it should have evolved at level 14.

Same here, I sent an error log to him. I'm sure it will be fixed within a day or two ;)

yaoimutt
September 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Now i'm having problems with the battle system,

i know i did everything right, on one map the trainer battles i have set up work, but on all the others, they don't work, i've even tride to just copy and paist the battle events from one board to the other to see if they work, for some resin they are only working on 1 of the maps and none of the others.

Flameguru
September 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Now i'm having problems with the battle system,

i know i did everything right, on one map the trainer battles i have set up work, but on all the others, they don't work, i've even tride to just copy and paist the battle events from one board to the other to see if they work, for some resin they are only working on 1 of the maps and none of the others.

Did you run the Game in Debug/Playtest Mode? If not, run it in Playtest and then see if it works.

yaoimutt
September 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Did you run the Game in Debug/Playtest Mode? If not, run it in Playtest and then see if it works.

*eye twitch* i've been trying for the past 4 hours, and it, in about 2 seconds, told me what it was. how come it couldn't just say that in the error log???? >.< venonat had a lvl 0 in the trainer form. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OblivionMew
September 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM
This is really bugging me! HOW DO YOU CHANGE POKéMON NAMES!!!!!

NytewolfAU2k7
September 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Hmm... weird... I have a whole heap of trainers in my game, no matter which one I battle, afterwards their sprite changes to the "Red" sprite.

that's simple, go to the map that says "Intro", then, in the upper left hand corner, click on the event, and edit away.

I actually found it by myself, but thanks anyway :)

yaoimutt
September 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM
This is really bugging me! HOW DO YOU CHANGE POKéMON NAMES!!!!!

Wjat do you mean? as in how do you change the name of the starter pokemon? or how to nickname all the pokemon you catch?

Hmm... weird... I have a whole heap of trainers in my game, no matter which one I battle, afterwards their sprite changes to the "Red" sprite.

hehehe, you copy and paist don't you? lol, i did that too. anyways, you need to edit the second page of the event, click on your fighter, then click on the tab that says 2 and change the sprite there to the one that you want it to be when the battle is over and done with.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 18th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Ahh, I thought it had something to do with that, thanks :)

yaoimutt
September 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Ahh, I thought it had something to do with that, thanks :)

Your welcome, like i said, i did the same thing, and it took me the longest time to figure out how to fix it XD

Crazy Weavile
September 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
What program do you use to edit the .DAT files?

Flameguru
September 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM
What program do you use to edit the .DAT files?

You dont edit the .dat files. Instead, edit the .txt files. Once you run the Game from within RMXP (DEBUG/Playtest mode) the .txt files will be compiled and overwrite the .dat files.

EX: Trainers.txt becomes Trainers.dat

Sizzle3003
September 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ok wtf?
orbidden
You don't have permission to access /projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Every time I click a link to it..

Flameguru
September 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Ok wtf?
orbidden
You don't have permission to access /projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Every time I click a link to it..

Then use my version artard...

(If someone thinks thats uncalled for, read this dudes thread and you will see why I'm pissed at him)

Sizzle3003
September 18th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Then use my version artard...

(If someone thinks thats uncalled for, read this dudes thread and you will see why I'm pissed at him)

Umm no you suck bals........

-BlackShadow-
September 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Flameguru In Your Starter Kit that You Just Released In One Of Your Recent Posts How Can I Change What Pokemon I Run Into In The Tall Grass On A Certain Route. Please Help. :\

yaoimutt
September 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Umm no you suck bals........

Hm... Sizzle, if you don't stop being a pain by choose, I'm sure a mod can make you stop by force. If there is someone kind enough to give you a good idea then either take it or so no politely. don't insult,

and if your wandering why i am not saying the same to him, it's because i read the other thread, and while i think he was over-reacting a little, i only think that he over reacted A LITTLE.

I think that if you try to insult someone who is being nice to you (no mater how dumb the insult may be) then you forfeit any right to having people help you politely.

Flameguru
September 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Flameguru In Your Starter Kit that You Just Released In One Of Your Recent Posts How Can I Change What Pokemon I Run Into In The Tall Grass On A Certain Route. Please Help. :\

Simply use this to help you:

032 # ID of Map (Can be found by Right clicking on a Map's name and selecting Map Properties)
25 # (Encounter Rate - 25 is maximum and is very high)
Land # Pokemon Found in the Grass
HOOTHOOT,2
HOOTHOOT,3
HOPPIP,3
HOPPIP,2
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
RATTATA,3
HOOTHOOT,2
RATTATA,2

So copy and paste that over the Johto Route 29 entry and edit it any way you want ;)

yaoimutt
September 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Here's a link to his tutorial about the starter kit.
forums.dsinc.exofire.net/viewtopic.php?t=9

I hope it help :)

and join the site so that it can grow, plus you can post info on stuff you think might help others ^.^ (yes, i am now assessed with the site)

OblivionMew
September 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
What I meant was to actually change the pokemon, to make new ones eg. replace BULBASAUR for GARKIT(Pokemon I made up) and change what it says in the Pokedex.

Flameguru
September 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM
What I meant was to actually change the pokemon, to make new ones eg. replace BULBASAUR for GARKIT(Pokemon I made up) and change what it says in the Pokedex.

Not Possible atm I don't believe. If you wanted to try, it would require changing the Pokemon's Sprite in the Graphics Folder, renaming it in the scripts, and modifying all its moves, stats, and more....which would be a pain...sorry. Poccil may be able to assist you further than me :)

-BlackShadow-
September 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Simply use this to help you:

032 # ID of Map (Can be found by Right clicking on a Map's name and selecting Map Properties)
25 # (Encounter Rate - 25 is maximum and is very high)
Land # Pokemon Found in the Grass
HOOTHOOT,2
HOOTHOOT,3
HOPPIP,3
HOPPIP,2
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
RATTATA,3
HOOTHOOT,2
RATTATA,2

So copy and paste that over the Johto Route 29 entry and edit it any way you want ;)

Hey Thanks A lot. Can't Thank You Enough. So I Just Go To The Encounters Text Doc. Thanks.

OblivionMew
September 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Not Possible atm I don't believe. If you wanted to try, it would require changing the Pokemon's Sprite in the Graphics Folder, renaming it in the scripts, and modifying all its moves, stats, and more....which would be a pain...sorry. Poccil may be able to assist you further than me :)

Okay thanks Flameguru, I'll wait til it's possible, maybe it'll be possible in the next release

Sizzle3003
September 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Hm... Sizzle, if you don't stop being a pain by choose, I'm sure a mod can make you stop by force. If there is someone kind enough to give you a good idea then either take it or so no politely. don't insult,

and if your wandering why i am not saying the same to him, it's because i read the other thread, and while i think he was over-reacting a little, i only think that he over reacted A LITTLE.

I think that if you try to insult someone who is being nice to you (no mater how dumb the insult may be) then you forfeit any right to having people help you politely.
Next time he shouldn't call me a noob then, and next time plz don't get into my business >_>

poccil
September 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Apparently, I am unable to access my site, so the link for Pokemon Essentials is currently unavailable. However, I will spend the rest of this month improving on it. Some new features will include custom windowskins for text messages; a daycare and egg system; an interesting feature called script-based switches; and general fixes. Until then, I will not respond to this thread as I become busy improving Pokemon Essentials.

yaoimutt
September 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Next time he shouldn't call me a noob then, and next time plz don't get into my business >_>

He didn't call you a noob, he said it was noob friendly. it's pc talk for easy to work with.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Just found an error with Flameguru's latest kit, this occurred when I tried to select a Pokemon and obtain a summary:

Exception: undefined method `eggsteps' for nil:NilClass
PokemonScreen:970:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonScreen:957:in `loop'
PokemonScreen:1004:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:131:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:131:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:128:in `logonerr'
PokemonMenu:128:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:113:in `loop'
PokemonMenu:169:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Scene_Map:134:in `call_menu'
Scene_Map:131:in `logonerr'
Scene_Map:131:in `call_menu'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:15:in `main'
Scene_Map:12:in `loop'
Scene_Map:19:in `main'
Main:41

Hope that helps

Other than that the kit's pretty good :)

yaoimutt
September 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Just found an error with Flameguru's latest kit, this occurred when I tried to select a Pokemon:

Exception: undefined method `eggsteps' for nil:NilClass
PokemonScreen:970:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonScreen:957:in `loop'
PokemonScreen:1004:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:131:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonMenu:128:in `logonerr'
PokemonMenu:128:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:113:in `loop'
PokemonMenu:169:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Scene_Map:134:in `call_menu'
Scene_Map:131:in `logonerr'
Scene_Map:131:in `call_menu'

Hope that helps

Other than that the kit's pretty good :)

i'm using the latest kit to, and that never happened to me... o.0 hm... let me check mine and see what happens.

Isaku
September 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM
ive got a noob question ^^' i just started to do my own pokemon rpg, of course with this starter kit. i have worked with the rpg maker yeaaaaars ago XD so thats why i think its a noob question.

when i try to create those trees, i know how to set the tops that i can run behind them, but how do i set them transparent?? i always have them with a white backround and that doesnt really looks good on a green field...

Flame Claw
September 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Just wondering on FG's newest one (in this thread) how would I be able to edit PokéDex info? Thanks :-)

OblivionMew
September 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM
As FG has said before changing the Dex data is not available at the
moment, I'm waiting for it as well ;)

Crazy Weavile
September 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I mean the .DAT files with no .TXT versions...

Flameguru
September 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I mean the .DAT files with no .TXT versions...

All editable .dat files have .txt versions. What do you want to edit?

ive got a noob question ^^' i just started to do my own pokemon rpg, of course with this starter kit. i have worked with the rpg maker yeaaaaars ago XD so thats why i think its a noob question.

when i try to create those trees, i know how to set the tops that i can run behind them, but how do i set them transparent?? i always have them with a white backround and that doesnt really looks good on a green field...

When you import the tileset, Click on the White and click Ok. Anything thats white should be transparent.

Isaku
September 19th, 2007, 11:22 AM
ahhh ok it worked :D think i got it now..but theres another question, and pleassse, if should post it in another thread in another forum, pls tell me!

ahm..yeah, the only thing i need right to start through with my game is...how can i do the choosing of the starter pokemon? in the starter kit theres just a script, where u get 6 random pokemon. how can i change it, that i can choose one pokemon like in the classic game? or does such a script like in the original game exist?

Flameguru
September 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
ahhh ok it worked :D think i got it now..but theres another question, and pleassse, if should post it in another thread in another forum, pls tell me!

ahm..yeah, the only thing i need right to start through with my game is...how can i do the choosing of the starter pokemon? in the starter kit theres just a script, where u get 6 random pokemon. how can i change it, that i can choose one pokemon like in the classic game? or does such a script like in the original game exist?

If you use my version then everything will work fine....however you need knowlege of RGSS and personally anyone with a brain should be able to do it.

Check out the Script called PokemonUtilities (Above Main) and edit the Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile modules as you please.

Crazy Weavile
September 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I want to edit Dexdata, etc... Did I overlook something?

Flameguru
September 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I want to edit Dexdata, etc... Did I overlook something?

And why would you want to edit dexdata? You can't edit the PokeDex so theirs no point.

Crazy Weavile
September 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Technically, the problem is that I want to implement new species...

This thing needs a readme...

Isaku
September 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
flameguru u are a genius ^^
i have created a completely new start at pokemon choosing XD
now i go to google and find a way how to let an event appear after another event was started o.o

so thank u ^^

Aqua Mudkip
September 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Don't forget poccil! He made the starter kit. ^_^

Isaku
September 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
lol ok i ment everyone who was working on this starter kit ^-^
but theres still one question XD how can i let events appear only after another event was started? i can just to conditional branches, but there i cant choose events, just gold and skills and switches and so on.

and how do i get to the switches to edit them and set new ones?

because what i want to do is: after choosing a pokemon, before going out of the house, prof oak, runs after me and tells me my first mission. but that should start of course after choosing the pokemon and not when i entry the house the first time.

Aqua Mudkip
September 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
And how do you change the Trademark Pic before the Title Shows up. EX:
Pokemon Starter Kit
Pokemon 1995-2007
Gamefreak
Monsters Inc.

Flameguru
September 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM
And how do you change the Trademark Pic before the Title Shows up. EX:
Pokemon Starter Kit
Pokemon 1995-2007
Gamefreak
Monsters Inc.

It's a picture in the Titles Folder

Isaku
September 19th, 2007, 10:02 PM
ahm..is this picture at the beginning enough as credits? then i dont have to change it XD

and back to my question above, because of the event accures, i have read through the forum and have found a thread where they had the same question (without a solution) and they were all talking about setting flags. could that be a solution for me? what are that flags at scripting?

what i exactly need is: an event occurs, when another is finished or erased.

poccil
September 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Apparently the link has remained online again. The newest release I just made incorporates most of the features I mentioned previously, such as daycare and egg support, custom window skins, and colors for male and female dialogue in the message system. Please refer to notes.txt in the Pokemon Essentials ZIP file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip) for details. Also, metadata not representable in RPG Maker XP can be specified per-map and globally by editing metadata.txt; and the ZIP file also contains the animation editor I made for generating Pokemon battle animations.

Please send problems and comments to me through private messaging instead of to this thread. Thanks.

yaoimutt
September 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
lol ok i ment everyone who was working on this starter kit ^-^
but theres still one question XD how can i let events appear only after another event was started? i can just to conditional branches, but there i cant choose events, just gold and skills and switches and so on.

and how do i get to the switches to edit them and set new ones?

because what i want to do is: after choosing a pokemon, before going out of the house, prof oak, runs after me and tells me my first mission. but that should start of course after choosing the pokemon and not when i entry the house the first time.

most people don't answer this because it's kind of easy, but, i'm nice so here we go.

the first thing you need to do is decide what event you want to come first. once you've don't that go to that event.
open it in the editor (just double click on it) then open the editor thing (double click on the thing that looks like "@>". once you've done that, click on control variables, and then click on the drop down menu.

select an unnamed variable, and name it (for the sake of this tutorial, lets go with "i'm-the-man", because i'm kind of board at the moment,) . click ok.

Then click on control self switch, make sure "A" is in the drop down menu (or what ever letter you want) and click ok.
make a new page, on this page, set the condition box to self : (what ever letter was in control self switch). press apply, and then ok

Now go to the second event (the one you want to happen only after the first) it doesn't even have to be on the same map, it can be anywhere you want the event to happen, just go there, and set the condition as switch: "i'm-the-man".

click apply. click ok. and we're done.

Apparently the link has remained online again. The newest release I just made incorporates most of the features I mentioned previously, such as daycare and egg support, custom window skins, and colors for male and female dialogue in the message system. Please refer to notes.txt in the Pokemon Essentials ZIP file (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip) for details. Also, metadata not representable in RPG Maker XP can be specified per-map and globally by editing metadata.txt; and the ZIP file also contains the animation editor I made for generating Pokemon battle animations.

Please send problems and comments to me through private messaging instead of to this thread. Thanks.

By the way, i keep forgetting to tell you, the animation editor doesn't completly work, when you go to rename an animation, it messes up (unless you've updated it in the last 2 weeks it should still be like that)

but knowing my pc it could just be me.

Isaku
September 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM
ok thank u, but at the second event u mean to set the condition variable with im the man not switch or? because we have set an variable at the first one and not a switch.

and can i also set it twice? the "an event occurs when touching the other one" - function at an event that also occured on that way?

EDIT:
okay, now i have arranged the swichtes and so on...but now another problem occured: when i go to the prof. house (uper, big house), talk to him and go to the pokeballs, go back to him, choose a pokemon, and then he should go to the pc, like i told him in the script, but he just goes up.
can someone of u tell me why? i have uploaded the project here:

megaupload.com/de/?d=EY595R4E

yaoimutt
September 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
ok thank u, but at the second event u mean to set the condition variable with im the man not switch or? because we have set an variable at the first one and not a switch.

and can i also set it twice? the "an event occurs when touching the other one" - function at an event that also occured on that way?

EDIT:
okay, now i have arranged the swichtes and so on...but now another problem occured: when i go to the prof. house (uper, big house), talk to him and go to the pokeballs, go back to him, choose a pokemon, and then he should go to the pc, like i told him in the script, but he just goes up.
can someone of u tell me why? i have uploaded the project here:

megaupload.com/de/?d=EY595R4E

dude, i didn't understand what you said, take a deep breath, and tell me what happened again, i will download the project, but i need sleep, (it's 3:57 am here XD) so it will have to wait about... 10 hours. i'll see what's wrong then. ok? and sorry it's going to take so long.

Isaku
September 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM
lol okay, sorry XD my english is soo bad ^^'

so now a little bit slower:
what i want/need: combination of the event-appearing-function. with the variable and selfswitch i made to let an event appear, after another one was activated. now i want to let the appeared one also activates another event.

and what doesnt work in my game: u go to the house of the prof. (like in the classic game). its the upper one, the big one. there u go to the prof. then a text message appears. then u talk to the prof. then go to the pokeballs, look at them (both). then the profs comes closer. u go to him. then choose one pokemon. and then he should go to the pc. but instead of going to the pc he just goes one step up. and i dont know why.
so good sleep XD i go and get lunch :P

EDIT:
Now i have created the first battle route, but it doesnt work..i used bushes all over the way, but the enemies doesnt appear. do i have to do special settings??

Aqua Mudkip
September 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Sorry flameguru. I forgot about that. That thing was so simple yet I did'nt check. (>_@)O *Whacks own head* lol.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 20th, 2007, 03:28 AM
EDIT:
Now i have created the first battle route, but it doesnt work..i used bushes all over the way, but the enemies doesnt appear. do i have to do special settings??

Follow the instructions in the encounters.txt file

should look something like this;

# This text file is for placing encounter data for each map. This file will be converted
# to a runtime format when you run a playtest of the game from RPG Maker XP.
# To change the wild Pokemon, edit the file encounters.txt in the game folder, and then run a playtest of the game from RPG Maker XP, since it sets the $DEBUG global variable to true. If you already tried to edit that file, I'm afraid the instructions there weren't clear enough. The game doesn't use the text file directly, but rather accesses the data in a compiled form. If the $DEBUG global variable is set to true when the game starts, the game will compile the text file to a format that it can understand.
# Each section begins with an ID of the map (check the middle of the status bar),
# then contains a line containing the densities for land, caves, and water, then
# one or more subsections. Each subsection contains one of the following:
# Land - For grass, etc.
# Cave - For caves, etc.
# Water - For water.
# RockSmash - Encounters after smashing a rock
# OldRod - Fished with Old Rod
# GoodRod - Fished with Good Rod
# SuperRod - Fished with Super Rod
# commas. Each species entered must be capitalized with no spaces. Note
# in particular the following cases:
# NIDORANmA, NIDORANfE, FARFETCHD, MR_MIME, PORYGON2
# Land/Cave: 12 entries (20, 20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 5, 4, 1)
# Water/RockSmash: 5 entries (60,30,5,4,1)
# OldRod: 2 entries (70, 30)
# GoodRod: 3 entries (60, 20, 20)
# SuperRod: 5 entries (40, 40, 15, 4, 1)
011 # ID of the map (check the middle of the status bar)
25,10,10 # Comma-separated line with Land, Cave, Water densities (25 is average)
Land # One of Land/Cave/Water/RockSmash/OldRod/GoodRod/SuperRod
PIDGEY,22
RATTATA,32
PIDGEY,32
RATTATA,32
RATTATA,32
PIDGEY,32
RATTATA,32
RATTATA,42
PIDGEY,42
RATTATA,42
PIDGEY,42
MEW,2
Water
MAGIKARP,2
GOLDEEN,3
POLIWAG,3
FEEBAS,3
FEEBAS,3

Of course, you would change it for your game...

yaoimutt
September 20th, 2007, 05:43 AM
lol okay, sorry XD my english is soo bad ^^'

so now a little bit slower:
what i want/need: combination of the event-appearing-function. with the variable and selfswitch i made to let an event appear, after another one was activated. now i want to let the appeared one also activates another event.

and what doesnt work in my game: u go to the house of the prof. (like in the classic game). its the upper one, the big one. there u go to the prof. then a text message appears. then u talk to the prof. then go to the pokeballs, look at them (both). then the profs comes closer. u go to him. then choose one pokemon. and then he should go to the pc. but instead of going to the pc he just goes one step up. and i dont know why.
so good sleep XD i go and get lunch :P

EDIT:

There is a "notes" file, and an "encounters" files, you need to read them and edit the encounters one, that should fix that problem for you.

And i found the movement problem, your movement route for prof. isn't right. you need to edit it.

venom12
September 20th, 2007, 10:58 AM
What is the meta? How to use that?

yaoimutt
September 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
What is the meta? How to use that?

The Meta thing controles stuff like where you go when you die, or weather or not you have to be on the bike on the map.

Now for my question, is there a way to make the map look like it's raining? like the tree top place in Pokemon sapphire? (i think it was raining...)

poccil
September 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM
The metadata doesn't currently have a setting for weather effects, though that's a good idea.

Flameguru
September 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM
A new release? O.O

Downloading! Yayz for Poccil :)

yaoimutt
September 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The metadata doesn't currently have a setting for weather effects, though that's a good idea.

ack! (i just ment if it's possable to make things on the board itself, as an event) anyways, HELP!

you can see one of the other boards from another board! what happened?

-BlackShadow-
September 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Once Again I Need Your Help Flameguru. Can You Tell Me.....
|
|
V
1) How Can I Change The Starting Pokemon?

2) How Can I Change The Main Characters Sprite? I All Ready Have The Sprite Set.

3) How Can I Edit The Intro?

Thank You In Advance.....

Flameguru
September 20th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Once Again I Need Your Help Flameguru. Can You Tell Me.....
|
|
V
1) How Can I Change The Starting Pokemon?

2) How Can I Change The Main Characters Sprite? I All Ready Have The Sprite Set.

3) How Can I Edit The Intro?

Thank You In Advance.....

I have a guide on my forums, check it out ;)

September 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Whoa! This is progressing really smoothly Poccil, I sadly have yet another question. >.<;;

How do you give characters unique music in battles?
For example I want a certain BGM for normal trainers.
A certain one for Gym leaders and a certain one for Rivals.

Btw: The custom item, "Lab Key" Did you put that there for me? xD

Also, the newly implented Day/Night System. Is there anyeay to control it?
For example can you automattically change the time of day through an event?

poccil
September 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM
Whoa! This is progressing really smoothly Poccil, I sadly have yet another question. >.<;;

How do you give characters unique music in battles?
For example I want a certain BGM for normal trainers.
A certain one for Gym leaders and a certain one for Rivals.

Btw: The custom item, "Lab Key" Did you put that there for me? xD

Also, the newly implented Day/Night System. Is there anyeay to control it?
For example can you automattically change the time of day through an event?

Changing the music for a Trainer is relatively easy. Go the event page for the Trainer and insert an event command called "Play ME" to the top of the list of event commands.

The "Lab Key" is just an illustration of a custom Key Item.

The day-and-night system relies on the system time and not on an internal timing mechanism. I don't believe there is a way to set the system time in RGSS.

I should also note by the way, that I have managed to shrink the size of the game screen by half. This feature is available in the game's "Screen Size" option and will be part of the next release.

September 21st, 2007, 09:42 AM
Changing the music for a Trainer is relatively easy. Go the event page for the Trainer and insert an event command called "Play ME" to the top of the list of event commands.

The "Lab Key" is just an illustration of a custom Key Item.

The day-and-night system relies on the system time and not on an internal timing mechanism. I don't believe there is a way to set the system time in RGSS.

Thanks Pocill, That helpled allot!

yaoimutt
September 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
So, Pocill, what features have you thought up so far that you are PLANING on putting in the S.K.? (i said planning because i mean features that arn't yet in it)

venom12
September 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Maybe pocill put. Pokenav, contests, weathers, trading for pokemons.

Isaku
September 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
lol okay now im not the only one whos asking so many questions :D now i feel better XDD ahm.. the one who asked how to change starter pokemon, it was already answered here on page 5 ^^ i have asked it before, if u still have the problem: go to scripts, scroll all down, the one before main (i think its pokemonutilities) and there u can change the starter pokemon, just scroll down slowly till u see the number 6, change it to one and the pokemon numbers to the ones u want.

and i have a new question ^^ i want to create a game exactly like the original story (only with new routes and cities, the same name but they look different than in the original games...) and so i want to have misty and rocko walking behind me. i just made it with events, so that misty join me. and the running thing i did with move action - walk to the player. but it only works for one map. and when it came to a new map, then i have to do the same event again, where i step on, then the character runs behind me. but i dont have enough fields left on some maps to set it xd and then theres the problem with disappearing after i went with her to her arena, now i thought to use an item, that she gives me and i lose when she lefts, and so on..but thats soo complicated, isnt there an easy way? i think some years ago i found a script for xpmaker 2000, where this problem was solved. but there they where group members. and i cant set misty and rocko as pokemon to my group XDD

and thanks for the encouter tip! i will try it right now.

and that i also want to say ^^ i dont like all the extras in the last games like contests, breeding and so on. my absolute favourite game was pokemon yellow, because it was like the original story. but it would have been so great to rerelease it in color q.q

poccil
September 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Here's the latest update: I've managed to implement a mechanism for defining custom Pokemon. Here's a portion of the text file, pokemon.txt, for doing so:

# This text file describes each Pokemon in the game.
# The file is divided into sections, and each section's title is the
# Pokemon's number enclosed by two square brackets like this: [120]
#
# Each section can have any number of entries. The entry's name and
# the entry's value are separated by an equal sign (=).
#
# Here are the possible entry types:
#
# Name - Name of the Pokemon.
# Kind - The kind of Pokemon.
# Pokedex - Description of the Pokemon as shown in the Pokedex.
# Color - Body color of the Pokemon. One of Red, Blue, Yellow, Green,
# Black, Brown, Purple, Gray, White, Pink.
# Type1 - Type 1 of the Pokemon. Required.
# Type2 - Type 2 of the Pokemon. If this is omitted, this Pokemon
# has a single type.
# Height - Height in meters, rounded to the nearest tenth of a meter.
# Weight - Weight in kilograms, rounded to the nearest tenth of a kilogram.
# GenderRate - Gender rate of the Pokemon. One of FemaleOneEighth,
# Female25Percent, Female50Percent, Female75Percent,
# AlwaysMale, AlwaysFemale, or Genderless.
# BaseStats - Base stats of the Pokemon for HP, Attack, Defense, Speed,
# Special Attack, and Special Defense.
# Rareness - Catch rate. A higher number means the species is easier
# to catch.
# BaseEXP - Base experience. A higher number means more experience
# is gained when the species is defeated.
# Happiness - Starting happiness when caught. Normally equal to 70.
# GrowthRate - Growth rate. One of Fast, Medium, Slow, Parabolic, Erratic,
# or Fluctuating.
# StepsToHatch - Number of steps required before egg hatches. Should
# be a multiple of 256.
# WildItemCommon - Item commonly found in this species in the wild.
# WildItemRare - Item rarely found in this species in the wild.
# Compatibility - Compatibility with other species for breeding purposes.
# A comma-separated list of two numbers. If either number is 15, this
# species cannot breed.
# EffortPoints - Effort values for HP, Attack, Defense, Speed,
# Special Attack, and Special Defense, earned when the species
# is defeated. From 0 through 3.
# Abilities - One or two abilities possible for this species.
# Moves - Third-generation moves learned by this species by gaining levels.
# This is a comma-separated list consisting of pairs of move-level entries.
# Evolutions - Evolved forms of this species.
# This is a comma-separated list consisting of triples of entries, where
# the first is the evolved form, the second is the evolution type, and the
# third is data that depends on the evolution type. Evolution types are:
# Field 2's value Field 3's value
# Happiness ---
# HappinessDay ---
# HappinessNight ---
# Level Level
# Trade ---
# TradeItem Item's internal name
# Item Item's internal name
# AttackGreater Level
# AtkDefEqual Level
# DefenseGreater Level
# Silcoon Level
# Cascoon Level
# Ninjask Level
# Shedinja Level
# Beauty Minimum Beauty factor
# EggMoves - Third-generation moves that the species can learn only as
# an egg. This data is valid only if the species is in its lowest evolutionary form.
# Machines - A comma-separated list of third generation TMs and HMs
# that can be taught to this species.
# TMs 01 through 50 have IDs of 1 through 50, and HMs 01 through 08 have
# IDs of 51 through 58.
#
# --- Image Files ---
# There should be five different image files for new Pokemon (XXX is the
# Pokemon's number):
# Graphics/Battlers/XXX.png - Front of the Pokemon.
# Graphics/Battlers/XXXs.png - Shiny front of the Pokemon.
# Graphics/Battlers/XXXb.png - Back of the Pokemon.
# Graphics/Battlers/XXXsb.png - Shiny back of the Pokemon.
# Graphics/Icons/iconXXX.png - Icon of the Pokemon. This is a two-frame animation.
[1]
Name=BULBASAUR
InternalName=BULBASAUR
Kind=SEED
Pokedex=BULBASAUR can be seen napping in bright sunlight. There is a seed on its back. By soaking up the sun's rays, the seed grows progressively larger.
Type1=GRASS
Type2=POISON
BaseStats=45,49,49,45,65,65
Rareness=45
BaseEXP=64
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Fluctuating
StepsToHatch=5120
Color=Green
Habitat=Grassland
EffortPoints=0,0,0,0,1,0
Abilities=OVERGROW
Compatibility=1,7
Height=0.7
Weight=6.9
GenderRate=FemaleOneEighth
Moves=1,TACKLE,4,GROWL,7,LEECHSEED,10,VINEWHIP,15,POISONPOWDER,15,SLEEPPOWDER,20,RAZORLEAF,25,SWEETSCENT,32,GROWTH,39,SYNTHESIS,46,SOLARBEAM
EggMoves=LIGHTSCREEN,SKULLBASH,SAFEGUARD,CHARM,PETALDANCE,MAGICALLEAF,GRASSWHISTLE,CURSE
Machines=6,9,10,11,17,19,21,22,27,32,36,42,43,44,45,51,54,55,56
Evolutions=IVYSAUR,Level,16

Flame Claw
September 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
How would I add a badge?

September 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Is there anyway to add in-battle text?
I want something like Pokemon FR/LG where Professor Oak talks to the Player when he starts battling Gary.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 22nd, 2007, 01:58 AM
i want to have misty and rocko walking behind me. i just made it with events, so that misty join me. and the running thing i did with move action - walk to the player. but it only works for one map. and when it came to a new map, then i have to do the same event again, where i step on, then the character runs behind me. but i don't have enough fields left on some maps to set it xd and then there's the problem with disappearing after i went with her to her arena, now i thought to use an item, that she gives me and i lose when she lefts, and so on..but that's soo complicated, isn't there an easy way? i think some years ago i found a script for maker 2000, where this problem was solved. but there they where group members. and i cant set misty and rocko as pokemon to my group XDD

I'm trying to do the same thing myself, but for making a prologue cutscene, 2 scientists walk to a certain location and do a certain thing which acts as a prequel for the events ingame...

Sizzle3003
September 22nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
Finally a starter thats not completely stupid, gj poccil and i guess flame guru to even though u make me mad :P

yaoimutt
September 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
he's updated it, but hasn't uploaded it yet X3

Flame Claw
September 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
I got another problem. Sorry peoples >_>

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/Flame_Claw/t3st_bug.jpg
What the heck does this mean?

yaoimutt
September 22nd, 2007, 11:19 AM

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/Flame_Claw/t3st_bug.jpg

hm... i think it means that you put in something in the encounter.txt file that you shouldn't have, post it and i'll check for you, other wise, go through it and look very carefully. that's prity much it.

-BlackShadow-
September 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM

You Don't Have The Right Amount Of Pokemon Such As "On Land You May Not Go Over 12 Pokemon Or Under 12" Or The Name Could Be Spelled Wrong. If You Need More Help PM Me And I Will Send You A Tutorial.;)

"I Would Have Kept The Image But, I Have Under 15 Posts...

poccil
September 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
In the latest release I just made, I completed support for seamlessly connecting maps, the ability
to add custom Pokemon to the game, and clearer errors in the compiler, as well as corrected bugs when reading
the evolution data file.

Flameguru
September 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
In the latest release I just made, I completed support for seamlessly connecting maps, the ability
to add custom Pokemon to the game, and clearer errors in the compiler, as well as corrected bugs when reading
the evolution data file.

You are a God...

Just one things...I'm a very organized person and my only gripe about the Kit is the placement of Files. Like Evolve.mid is in the root Folder when it should be in Audio>SE and all those .txt and .dat files should be in the PBS Folder.

If you could organize those like that and change the Code to reflect the changes it would make me so happy :)

poccil
September 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
I have made an update with the changes you requested.

Flameguru
September 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
I have made an update with the changes you requested.

Thanks so much for doing that :)

Sizzle3003
September 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
the evolution data file.

Eh I've already started using the last one you made, is there any way i can update my current version without screwing up my game

NytewolfAU2k7
September 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
That's cool Poccil, keep up the good work :)

just one question though, what scripts were changed in this update? because I just started using the last update and added all my custom stuff to it...

Eh I've already started using the last one you made, is there any way i can update my current version without screwing up my game

I buggered up my last version, I'd like to know the answer myself... (I hope that didn't come out rude, I'm tired from lack of sleep -_-)

Flameguru
September 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM

Migrate your map files, Map Infos, and Tilesest rmxp data files and any resources. It's the only way. Also dont forget to re-edit the scripts ;)

Sizzle3003
September 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
:'( I think I'm just gonna stick to the current one till a new update comes out with more updates.

I just edited this, coulden't I just download the update and move all the new stuff to my current version :O

poccil
September 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't keep track of the scripts that were changed. However, here's a list of the modified
scripts from what I can remember:

Game_Map*
Game_Character 1
Game_Character 2
Game_Character 3
Game_Event
Game_Player
Spriteset_Map
Interpreter 7
Scene_Map
Win32API*
Resolution*
Day/Night
PokemonMapAlias
AnimationSprite
PBTrainers
PBItems
SpriteResizer
WindowAndTilemap
PBSpecies
PokemonSave
PokemonStorage
PBMove
PokemonMenu
PokemonItems
PokemonMessages
PokemonScreen
PokemonDaycare
PokemonField
PokemonOption
PokeBattle_Pokemon
PBSpecies
PokeBattle_Battle
PBDebug
PokemonUtilities
PokemonSystem
SpriteWindow
PokemonEvolution
Compiler
PokemonEncounters
PokemonLoad
PokeBattle_Trainer
PokemonMap
PokemonTrainers

NytewolfAU2k7
September 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for that :) I think I'll just re-import my stuff though, to avoid what happened to me on friday :/

Flameguru
September 22nd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I see Day/Night Works now :) Any chance you could get a working Weather Script implemented and have weather patterns edited and controlled by a .dat file (and .txt) ? That would be cool ;)

Sizzle3003
September 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
I see Day/Night Works now :) Any chance you could get a working Weather Script implemented and have weather patterns edited and controlled by a .dat file (and .txt) ? That would be cool ;)

Day/night is working on mine, its in real time, whats wrong with it :O

poccil
September 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
That probably wasn't what he meant.

Anyway, in the current version you will find a new option on the "Option" screen, "Screen Size", since I've managed to reduce the size of the screen to Game Boy Advance size. And weather support is what I will try to add for the next release.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Any chance you could get a working Weather Script implemented and have weather patterns edited and controlled by a .dat file (and .txt) ? That would be cool ;)

Aye, Indeed that wood be cool, think of the possibilities :D

lol, we posted at the same time ;)

Sizzle3003
September 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Poccil, do you think you will add water reflection at all?

poccil
September 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I have identified a bug with the current release. It can be removed by going to Scene_Map and replacing this:
@spritesets[i].dispose
with this:
@spritesets[i].dispose if @spritesets[i]
That is all.

Another problem: An optimization I tried seems not to be reliable. Go to the section SpriteWindow and modify pbFadeOutIn:

def pbFadeOutIn(z)
col=Color.new(0,0,0,0)
viewport=Viewport.new(0,0,480,360)
viewport.z=z
for j in 0..26
col.set(0,0,0,j*10)
viewport.color=col
Graphics.update
end
=begin
oldsprites=[]
ObjectSpace.each_object(Sprite){|o|
next if o.disposed?
if o.visible && ( (o.viewport && o.viewport.z<z) || o.z<z )
o.visible=false
oldsprites.push([o,o.bitmap,o.src_rect.clone])
o.bitmap=nil
end
}
=end
yield if block_given?
=begin
for sprite in oldsprites
next if sprite[0].disposed?
sprite[0].visible=true
sprite[0].bitmap=sprite[1]
sprite[0].src_rect=sprite[2]
end
=end
for j in 0..26

col.set(0,0,0,(26-j)*10)
viewport.color=col
Graphics.update
end
viewport.dispose
end

Flame Claw
September 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
# Pokemon Starter Kit Wild Pokemonn Encounters
# This File contains all Wild Pokemon Data. This File, when in

Debug Mode, will be
# converted into a Data File used by RPG Maker XP. Firstly, the

Number of the Map is
# Placed before the name of the map. Then, Each Map is broken

down into Land, Water,
# and more.
#
#
# After that follows the encounter data. For Land and Cave

encounter types,
# each entry must have a species and level, separated by commas.

Rarer
# species should be placed lower in the list. For all other

encounter types,
# each entry must have a species, minimum level, and maximum

level, separated by
# commas.
#
# Each species entered must be capitalized with no spaces. This

is for Simplicity.
#
# - MR_MIME (Mr. Mime)
# - PORYGON2 (Porygon 2)
#
# Depending on the encounter type, the number of entries required

varies:
#
# The Higher up any certain Pokemon is on the Encounters list,

the more of a chance
# the player has to encounter it in a Wild Battle. This repeats

itself for Each
# Encounters
#
032 # Johto - Route 29
Land
HOOTHOOT,2
HOOTHOOT,3
HOPPIP,3
HOPPIP,2
SENTRET,3
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
SENTRET,2
PIDGEY,2
RATTATA,3
HOOTHOOT,2
RATTATA,2
001 # Johto - Realwood Run
Land
MANKEY,5
MANKEY,6
WEEDLE,5
WEEDLE,6
SENTRET,4
SENTRET,5
AZURILL,2
PIDGEY,2
TOGEPI,3
VENONAT,2
VENONAT,5
004 # Johto - Novice Rank Gardens
Land
VULPIX,15
VULPIX,16
PHANPY,14
RATTATA,12
ELEKID,12
MAGBY,12
MAGBY,11
SENTRET,16
PHANPY,18
WINGULL,19
WINGULL,20
FARFETCHD,16
004 # Johto - Novice Rank Gardens
Land
VULPIX,15
VULPIX,16
PHANPY,14
RATTATA,12
ELEKID,12
MAGBY,12
MAGBY,11
SENTRET,16
PHANPY,18
WINGULL,19
WINGULL,20
FARFETCHD,16
# End
Still ain't going. I don't have a clue what this means :(

Aqua Mudkip
September 23rd, 2007, 05:05 AM
Here's a little question poccil, "Can you change the background when you battle for ex. when your at the mountains battling you can change it to the rocky scene? Or when your at the gym battling can it be put to the gym floor scene? like pokemon diamond or pearl?"

NytewolfAU2k7
September 23rd, 2007, 05:11 AM

You have comments at the very bottom of the file, remove them. It *should* work.

=============================================

Poccil, the encounters I have set up in one of my maps doesn't seem to be working. The map in question is stitched between two maps with no encounters (cities) using the new map connections feature...

Flameguru
September 23rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
I must say that the Window Size change adds a lot to the game :) Any chance you could incorporate a Boy/Girl System (Mainly so the Trainer Card looks fine)

Thanks ;)

.houndoomed
September 23rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
Um.. this is a fantastic starter kit FG and Poccil, but everytime I try to edit it in RMXP, this comes up:

Project could not be read due to incompatibility between software versions.

Maybe it's because I have the free version or RMXP >>
Is there any way to fix this?

poccil
September 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Flame Claw, to solve your problem, the section 001 has only eleven entries instead
of 12 as expected.

Houndoomed, to solve your problem, open Game.rxproj in Notepad and change
"RPGXP 1.02" to "RPGXP 1.01" or, if necessary "RPGXP 1.00", then save the file.

NightwolfAA2k5, I think I can solve your problem. Go to the script section PokemonMap and find
the method setCurrentMap. Add the following after the line labeled "$game_map=newmap[0]":

$PokemonEncounters.setup($game_map.map_id) if $PokemonEncounters

Sizzle3003
September 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
does anyone think this update is worth copying over all my data?

NytewolfAU2k7
September 23rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
There seems to be a problem loading save games, the character stands there, but won't move in any direction...

NightwolfAA2k5, I think I can solve your problem. Go to the script section PokemonMap and find
the method setCurrentMap. Add the following after the line labeled "$game_map=newmap[0]":

$PokemonEncounters.setup($game_map.map_id) if $PokemonEncounters

Thanks for that :)

Edit: Sorry dude, I just tested it out, even with that line of code the field is still devoid of encounters, I'll test it again, this time with encounters set for the 2 fields on either side.

Edit 2.0: When I exited the affected field and went for a swim in an adjoining field, then returned to the affected field. The problem seemed to disappear...

September 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
I must say that the Window Size change adds a lot to the game :) Any chance you could incorporate a Boy/Girl System (Mainly so the Trainer Card looks fine)

Thanks ;)

I agree Flameguru, a Boy/Girl system would be essential, my current one I made manualy therfore during battles, and on the trainer card the Male character is used.

poccil
September 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
The support I just added for different player characters is rather elegant I must say. Here is an extract from metadata.txt explaining the new setting:

# PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC, PlayerD: Information on the player characters
# in the game. This setting consists of a number of comma-separated fields,
# described below:
# Field 1: Trainer type. This is an internal name of the trainer type and
# has one of the values defined in trainernames.txt. The file
# Graphics/Characters/trainerXXX.png, where XXX is the ID of that
# trainer type, should match the defined trainer type.
# Field 2: Character sprite, as found in Graphics/Characters.
# Field 3: Character sprite when mounted on a bicycle.
# To change the player in script, use pbChangePlayer(X) where X is
# one of 0, 1, 2, or 3 and refers to players A, B, C, or D. The PlayerA setting
# is required while the other three settings are optional.

Flameguru
September 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
The support I just added for different player characters is rather elegant I must say. Here is an extract from metadata.txt explaining the new setting:

# PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC, PlayerD: Information on the player characters
# in the game. This setting consists of a number of comma-separated fields,
# described below:
# Field 1: Trainer type. This is an internal name of the trainer type and
# has one of the values defined in trainernames.txt. The file
# Graphics/Characters/trainerXXX.png, where XXX is the ID of that
# trainer type, should match the defined trainer type.
# Field 2: Character sprite, as found in Graphics/Characters.
# Field 3: Character sprite when mounted on a bicycle.
# To change the player in script, use pbChangePlayer(X) where X is
# one of 0, 1, 2, or 3 and refers to players A, B, C, or D. The PlayerA setting
# is required while the other three settings are optional.

This is pretty sweet :) Wanna add support for Surfing sprites too? I mead you wouldnt need to because I can do that via Events but it'd be nice ;)

-BlackShadow-
September 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Look Again.
001 # Johto - Realwood Run
Land
MANKEY,5 1
MANKEY,6 2
WEEDLE,5 3
WEEDLE,6 4
SENTRET,4 5
SENTRET,5 6
AZURILL,2 7
PIDGEY,2 8
TOGEPI,3 9
VENONAT,2 10
VENONAT,5 11

You Should Have 12 Not 11.
Now Add One More Pokemon To This List!

P.S. Flameguru Can You Please Tell Me How To Edit The Intro...Your Tutorial Didn't Tell Me How.:\

yaoimutt
September 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Aye, Indeed that wood be cool, think of the possibilities :D

lol, we posted at the same time ;)

He plans to make it so that you can set it in the meta file, i know because i asked how you would set the weather in it, and aparently he hadn't even thought of that >.< so he said it was a good idea.

Minorthreat0987
September 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
I really cant explain the problem well, but im having issues makeing the connections thing work, i want to connect the southern edge of a map to the northern edge, and all i keep getting is a black space at the edge of the map. can anyone please help?

yaoimutt
September 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM

it means what pokemon you encounter and what level they will be, and by the way, there is a problem with this list. in one of the listings of pokemon you have 11 pokemon instead of 12, that could cause a problem

Look Again.

You Should Have 12 Not 11.
Now Add One More Pokemon To This List!

P.S. Flameguru Can You Please Tell Me How To Edit The Intro...Your Tutorial Didn't Tell Me How.:\

That's actually easer then most people think, open your game in the editor, then click on the map that is titled "intro" and click in the uper left hand corner of the map
<-- left right -->

there is actually an event in this corner, that's the event, just change the speech to what ever you want. (if you want anything else difrent in the intro just let me know)

-BlackShadow-
September 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
That's actually easer then most people think, open your game in the editor, then click on the map that is titled "intro" and click in the uper left hand corner of the map
<-- left right -->

there is actually an event in this corner, that's the event, just change the speech to what ever you want. (if you want anything else difrent in the intro just let me know)

Thanks but, I still Have A Little Problem When I Test Play My Game I End Up With 50 Of Every Item!!!???

I Need Help.

Sizzle3003
September 23rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey, poccil or someone who can answer this, how do I set certain events to happen only at night time?

Flameguru
September 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks but, I still Have A Little Problem When I Test Play My Game I End Up With 50 Of Every Item!!!???

I Need Help.

That only happens in PlayTest Mode. When you distribute your game to people they wont have any items at all until you give them to them. The reason poccil coded that feature in was to better show off stuff in the game (So instead of taking many tries to catch pokemon you get it once with the master bal)

Minorthreat0987
September 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
i just noticed something about the connections.txt file, and the seamless mapping, the north an south functions dont work, i just puts the map on the east or west depending on which one you put first east or west.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4192/seamlessteleportproblemfd5.png
and this is what I have in the text file in regardes to this map.
7,South,0,8,North,0

poccil
September 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
My demo has an east-and-west connection; unfortunately I didn't test north and south yet. That's what I will do.

** Yes, you're right, that is a problem in the current release.

To set certain events to happen only at night, you can use a script-based conditional statement like this:

Time.now.hour<6 || Time.now.hour>=20

The problem was that the script failed to read the map connections file correctly. Here is the correct version of the function (in the script section PokemonMap):

def getMapConnections
if !$MapConnections
$MapConnections=readSerialRecords("PBS/connections.dat")
for i in 0...$MapConnections.length
conn=$MapConnections[i]
v=getMapEdge(conn[0],conn[1])
if conn[1]==2||conn[1]==4
conn[1]=v
else
conn[1]=conn[2]
conn[2]=v
end
v=getMapEdge(conn[3],conn[4])
if conn[4]==2||conn[4]==4
conn[4]=v
else
conn[4]=conn[5]
conn[5]=v
end
end
end
return $MapConnections
end

Minorthreat0987
September 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
ah, okay well I can;t wait till you get it working the seamless teleports are really awsome.

Is there a way to set a Pokemon's gender, like your starters?

poccil
September 23rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
I provided a fix to the map connections problem above.

The Pokemon class doesn't provide a function to set the gender of a Pokemon; however you can add this method below (which is untested) to the PokeBattle_Pokemon class:

def setGender(female)
dexdata=File.open("PBS/dexdata.dat","rb")
dexdata.pos=76*(@species-1)+18
genderbyte=dexdata.fgetb
dexdata.close
case genderbyte
when 255
return false # genderless
when 254
return female # always female
when 0
return !female # always male
else
loop do
value=rand(256)
if female==(value<genderbyte)
@personalID&=~0xFF
@personalID|=value
return true
end
end
end
end

To use it, call pokemon.setGender(X) where X is true for female, and false for male. The function returns true if the gender was set, or false if the gender can't be set.

.houndoomed
September 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for answering my last question.

But I have another XD
How do you change the battle backrounds?

poccil
September 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I've released a new update to Pokemon Essentials today. For reference, here are the script sections that were modified:

Added: PokemonWeather
Changed: Walk/Run
Changed: Game_Character 1
Changed: SpriteWindow
Changed: PokemonUtilities
Changed: PokemonEvolution
Changed: PokemonMart
Changed: Scene_Map
Changed: PokemonLoad
Changed: PokemonScreen
Changed: PokemonMessages
Changed: PokemonTrainers
Changed: PBItems
Changed: PokemonMap
Changed: PBSpecies
Changed: PokeBattle_Battle
Changed: PokemonItems
Changed: PokemonField
Changed: Spriteset_Map
Changed: Compiler
Changed: WindowAndTilemap
Changed: Game_Player*
Changed: PokemonEntry
Changed: PokemonSave

To change the battle background:

Notice the line of code at line 927 of the script section PokeBattle_ActualScene:
pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png",@viewport)The filename "Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png" is the tiled picture for the battle background. You can change that file or change the filename on this line. For advanced handling, you can control which file will be used for the background in script, which could look like this for example (this code is untested):

if pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor) # If outdoors
if Time.now.hour<6 || Time.now.hour>=20 # If night
pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebgNight.png",@viewport)
else
pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebgDay.png",@viewport)
end
else # If indoors
pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png",@viewport)
end

(battlebgNight.png and battlebgDay.png are just examples, they don't exist in the Pokemon Essentials distribution.)
The files Graphics/Pictures/enemybase.png and Graphics/Pictures/playerbase.png are "coasters", if you will, where active
Pokemon are placed. Those two files are also customizable.

September 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
This is moving incredibly fast, but may I ask. Have you released the update you mentioned, onyour site it says the latest version was released on the 22nd.

poccil
September 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Yes I have, about an hour ago. I had not updated the date yet.

Sizzle3003
September 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Poccil I just have to say, I think you've made one of the best starter kits ever ^^ I was wondering if you can add water reflections? I can add them myself with an event but it when it gets to the edge of the water the reflection part leaks on to the grass and doesn't look right, ty.

-BlackShadow-
September 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
That only happens in PlayTest Mode. When you distribute your game to people they wont have any items at all until you give them to them. The reason poccil coded that feature in was to better show off stuff in the game (So instead of taking many tries to catch pokemon you get it once with the master bal)
Thank You Again. I Am New At This. So I Hope You Don't Get Irritated But, What Script Do I Use To Give The Player An Item And What Is The Script To Give A Player A Pokemon?

poccil
September 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
To add an item, use something like this:

Kernel.pbItemBall(::PBItems::POTION) # Item ID

Since adding the item may fail, this script statement should normally appear in a "Conditional Branch" event command.

To add a Pokemon, use something like this:

Kernel.pbAddPokemon(::PBSpecies::CASTFORM,25) # Species ID and level

Adding a Pokemon may also fail, so this statement should also appear in a "Conditional Branch" event command. You can modify that function, which is located in PokemonUtilities,
to remove the messages.

-BlackShadow-
September 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Since adding the item may fail, this script statement should normally appear in a "Conditional Branch" event command.

Adding a Pokemon may also fail, so this statement should also appear in a "Conditional Branch" event command. You can modify that function, which is located in PokemonUtilities,
to remove the messages.

Thank You. I Don't Have Any More Questions Right Now.

Minorthreat0987
September 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
where do you set the players walking sprites and such?

also when i run the intro, and get to the part where you pick boy or girl, after i pick my choice the game freezes. im not sure why, no error message appears just just freezes...=[

poccil
September 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM
where do you set the players walking sprites and such?

also when i run the intro, and get to the part where you pick boy or girl, after i pick my choice the game freezes. im not sure why, no error message appears just just freezes...=[

Thanks for your private messages. I'm glad you solved the problem.

yaoimutt
September 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
hm... i think i'll wait to update all my stuff to the next release until this weekend, you update it so fast it would be kind of pointles for me to upgrade mine every other day ^.^ your THE best programer i have ever met. =D

Demonic Budha
September 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM
i too will jump on the bandwagon, thi is an extemly excellent starter kit.
Some amazing scripts in there.
Thank you extremly for the help you are providing to the community Poccil.
(and Flameguru, as you seem to be helping alot aswell)

OblivionMew
September 25th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Hey poccil, do you think you could do a caterpillar script, which is where multiple actors follow you like in Yellow or Diamond/Pearl.

venom12
September 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe you add pokegear from Gold/Silver/Crystal

-BlackShadow-
September 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM

to remove the messages.

I Get An Error When I Try To Add A Pokemon(Charmander)This Is What Is In My Error Log...
(eval):2:in `command_355'compile error
(eval):2: syntax error
ANDER,5) # 004 and 5
^
(eval):2: syntax error
ANDER,5) # 004 and 5
^
Interpreter 7:272:in `command_355'
Interpreter 2 *:211:in `eval'
Interpreter 7:272:in `command_355'
Interpreter 2 *:211:in `execute_command'
Interpreter 1:199:in `update'
Interpreter 1:113:in `loop'
Interpreter 1:204:in `update'
Scene_Map:49:in `update'
Scene_Map:47:in `loop'
Scene_Map:60:in `update'
Please Help. Please Tell Me What I Am Doing Wrong...

Flameguru
September 25th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Poccil, can you add support for the female background for in battle like you have with the trainer card? Thanks :)

New2Ya
September 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Wow! This is great man.

But I do have a request, to make it more friendly for us. The thing is, there are about 50 scripts in the game, and anyone with little knowledge of scripting, it's a maze.

Could you like make a Readme file (or better yet, make one "script" that explains every script in the project) that tells you what every script does, which scripts you should CERTAINLY NOT EDIT, which scripts let you choose a Pokémon, etc.
That way, people like me can actually do something with this.

Cause seriously? This is GENIOUS. I mean, its freaking Pokemon!!! No more "almost real" stuff, this IS the real stuff. I LOVE YOU!!!! XD

poccil
September 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM
-BlackShadow-:

You may need to break the code into lines like:

Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
::PBSpecies::CASTFORM,25)

It's because the interpreter adds new-line characters to the script and may misinterpret the script afterwards.

Flameguru
September 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I made a new version of Poccils latest release. I removed worthless files which saved some space and inserted the Code that will let the PokeGear work (iPod only atm)

Download Here (http://www.dsinc.exofire.net/Files/Pokemon_Starter_Kit.zip)

Enjoy ;)

EDIT: Alright, the PokeGear wont work which means that Poccil changed the way scenes are loaded because he helped me insert that into my Game but it's in an older release of Poccil's Kit. Poccil, if you could continue working on your Pokemon Essentials using what I have uploaded that would be great because it doesn't contain unused files and is better (I think so anyways) Just an idea ;)

Sizzle3003
September 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I made a new version of Poccils latest release. I removed worthless files which saved some space and inserted the Code that will let the PokeGear work (iPod only atm)

Download Here (http://www.dsinc.exofire.net/Files/Pokemon_Starter_Kit.zip)

Enjoy ;)

EDIT: Alright, the PokeGear wont work which means that Poccil changed the way scenes are loaded because he helped me insert that into my Game but it's in an older release of Poccil's Kit. Poccil, if you could continue working on your Pokemon Essentials using what I have uploaded that would be great because it doesn't contain unused files and is better (I think so anyways) Just an idea ;)

Well I can't wait till the pokegear is completly finished cuz I really need ^^

poccil
September 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
New2Ya, in response to your request, I have started documenting each script in the game.
I have uploaded an incomplete version of this documentation at:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/scripts.txt

Please note that the file will be updated as I document the scripts more and more.

New2Ya
September 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
New2Ya, in response to your request, I have started documenting each script in the game.
I have uploaded an incomplete version of this documentation at:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/scripts.txt

Please note that the file will be updated as I document the scripts more and more.
Thanks man! I dont know how to thank you for this starter kit. It's beyond my expectations, and frankly, I thought it would never be done.

I love the resolution resize to the GBA-size, it looks sexy. xD

Few things:
- battle animations, can they be added by ourselves or were you planning on doing it in the future yourself?
- when leveled up at the end of a battle, it doesnt show the Pokémon with the next level. Only after the battle, the number 20 has changed into 21, for example. Its not important, but who knows what kind of perfecionist you are. :P
- Pokémon do evolve like Pikachu with the stones, but they dont when leveling up. I know this is a in-production-project, but you never know, maybe you forgot about it.

To sum it up though; you're a God.

poccil
September 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
There isn't yet a mechanism for custom battle animations. However, the Pokemon Essentials distribution contains an animation editor for creating battle animations. I encourage users to create animations with that editor and send them to me, so that I can best determine how to add them to the battle system.

Actually, evolution through level gain works perfectly, according to my latest tests, namely Charmander, Pidgey, and Squirtle. If the problem occurs in a different case, then send me a private message.

Flameguru
September 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
There isn't yet a mechanism for custom battle animations. However, the Pokemon Essentials distribution contains an animation editor for creating battle animations. I encourage users to create animations with that editor and send them to me, so that I can best determine how to add them to the battle system.

Actually, evolution through level gain works perfectly, according to my latest tests, namely Charmander, Pidgey, and Squirtle. If the problem occurs in a different case, then send me a private message.

Actually, I tried to level up Squirtle by battling and when Squirtle reached lv 21 (since you give it to us at lvl 20) it just came up with an error saying thats its level is higher than expected or something and also, Rare Candies do not activate Evolution but don't bring up any errors ;)

Hope you can look into this :)

EDIT: Here is what the errorlog had to say:

Exception: The new level (20) is less than the Pokemon's current level (21), which shouldn't happen.
PokeBattle_Battle:1458:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battle:1395:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:1395:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battle:1364:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:1364:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battler:1447:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:1678:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battler:1677:in `logonerr'
PokeBattle_Battler:1677:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battle:1788:in `pbAttackPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:1787:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:1787:in `pbAttackPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:212:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_Battle:211:in `logonerr'
PokeBattle_Battle:211:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_Battle:195:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battle:219:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonTrainers:92:in `pbTrainerBattle'
PokemonTrainers:91:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonTrainers:91:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval):1:in `command_111'
Interpreter 2 *:37:in `eval'
Interpreter 3:263:in `command_111'
Interpreter 2 *:37:in `execute_command'
Interpreter 1:199:in `update'
Interpreter 1:113:in `loop'
Interpreter 1:204:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:62:in `main'
Scene_Map:59:in `loop'
Scene_Map:66:in `main'

Minorthreat0987
September 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I really hate burdening you but if its not to much to ask do you think you could add another encounter type, like a headbutt tree, and maybe like a tm or hm for it? if its not too much to ask, i dont know how hard it would be but it would be greatly appriciated.

poccil
September 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I have solved the problem with evolution and Rare Candy. In the
script section PokemonItems, go to line 696 and change this:
newspecies=pbCheckEvolution(pokemon,item)
to this:
newspecies=pbCheckEvolution(pokemon)
The first line mistakenly checks whether the Pokemon evolves
with Rare Candy, which is the case for no Pokemon species.

Minorthreat0987
September 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
cool that helps.

also there is this glitch, which i dont know if you can fix or even it everyone has it but when i jump ledges or surf, this is what happens after i do so.
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4392/jumpproblemon7.png
I don't know if it can be fixed. See my feet showing on the bottom.

poccil
September 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I've found a fix: In the script section Game_Character 1, redefine the method screen_y as follows:

def screen_y
y = (@real_y - self.map.display_y + 3) / 4 + 32
if jumping?
if @jump_count >= @jump_peak
n = @jump_count - @jump_peak
else
n = @jump_peak - @jump_count
end
return y - (@jump_peak * @jump_peak - n * n) / 2
else
return y
end
end

Minorthreat0987
September 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM
now that really helps it was getting annoying being like 3 pixles below the NPC and stuff. Thank you so much.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks Poccil :) Great work so far :)

Ryruyin
September 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Poccil, no one here can thank you enough! I was sceptical that the system could be good before I tried it, but you have covered seemingly everything (to the non-coder eye). Even such things as not being able to catch trainer pokemon. Is this system ready enough to start making a game with? If anyone could answer I'd appreciate it.

Aqua Mudkip
September 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
You're as fast as that scripter thats helping Pokemon Ancathite! Keep it going!

poccil
September 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
A new version of Pokemon Essentials is now available.

Changes:

Support for the hidden moves Fly and Headbutt
Flameguru's Pokegear script included
Customizable region maps
Script support for double battles and multi battles
Debug menu option with integrated terrain tag editor
Problems fixed with Rare Candy
Problem fixed on player placement after jumping
StorageCreator metadata setting added
MapPosition metadata setting added
Combined PokeBattle_Move_XX scripts into PokeBattle_MoveEffects

Modified scripts:

Deleted: moves/PokeBattle_Move_**
Added: PokeBattle_MoveEffects
Added: PokemonTilesetEditor
Added: PokemonRegionMap
Changed: PokemonMap
Changed: PokemonMenu
Changed: PokeBattle_Move
Changed: Scene_Map
Changed: Interpreter 6
Changed: Pokegear
Changed: PokemonField
Changed: PokeBattle_ActualScene
Changed: PokemonTrainers
Changed: PokeBattle_Trainer
Changed: SpriteResizer
Changed: WindowAndTilemap
Changed: Game_Character 3*
Changed: Compiler
Changed: Game_Player*
Changed: PokemonMessages
Changed: Game_Character 1
Changed: PBDebug
Changed: - Radio
Changed: SpriteWindow
Changed: PokemonUtilities
Changed: PokeBattle_Battle
Changed: PokemonEncounters
Changed: PokemonItems
Changed: PokemonScreen
Changed: PokeBattle_Battler
Changed: PokemonStorage

New2Ya
September 28th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I love you. xD This is a dream come true for pretty much every person who is planning to make a Poke fangame...

NytewolfAU2k7
September 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Some pretty sweet changes there Poccil :) Keep it up, You're doing a good job! :)

Minorthreat0987
September 29th, 2007, 06:41 AM
awsome i love the headbutt trees, but one thing, i dont know if this can be done, but do you think you can make the headbutt trees happen on a terrain tag, because i doin a johto remake and there are quite a few headbutt trees on one map and i dont want the game to lag up because of event overload. if you could look into it that would be great, but dont make it a big thing on your list i was just wondering if it could be done without a lot of code change.

BlueEew
September 29th, 2007, 07:47 AM
From what I have read this starter kit the best Pokemon starter kit out there. However I am looking for an full detailed features list, that explains whats in included etc. Is there one avalable.

Flameguru
September 29th, 2007, 07:50 AM
From what I have read this starter kit the best Pokemon starter kit out there. However I am looking for an full detailed features list, that explains whats in included etc. Is there one avalable.

Hmm...let me explain it in as few words as possible...

This kit kicks ass and it pretty much replicates FR/LG/R/S/E 100% :)

Thanks for updating it Poccil ;) I just updated MS to this Release and am working on some new maps. I'm also thinking of re-mapping my game with my Kyledove tileset (I Posted it in Game Dev Resources for anyone who wants it)

Keep it up :cool:

New2Ya
September 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I tested it, works fine most part.

Two things.
- In the PokéGear menu, the badges (if you talked to the badges-NPC) appear in the background, under the Hero-render in the menu. That's probably a glitch.
- I experience a constant lag. I think this has to do with the amount of resources the project needs, and particularly the tileset (damn its huge right? xD), but maybe you know an anti-lag script... O_o

All the rest, it's perfect. All we need to do is help you out on the animations department.

Flameguru
September 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I tested it, works fine most part.

Two things.
- In the PokéGear menu, the badges (if you talked to the badges-NPC) appear in the background, under the Hero-render in the menu. That's probably a glitch.
- I experience a constant lag. I think this has to do with the amount of resources the project needs, and particularly the tileset (damn its huge right? xD), but maybe you know an anti-lag script... O_o

All the rest, it's perfect. All we need to do is help you out on the animations department.

I experience no lag at all, maybe it's time for a better computer? And yeah, Poccil...just take out those silly badges in the Pokegear.

BlueEew
September 29th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hmm...let me explain it in as few words as possible...

This kit kicks ass and it pretty much replicates FR/LG/R/S/E 100% :)

Thanks for updating it Poccil ;) I just updated MS to this Release and am working on some new maps. I'm also thinking of re-mapping my game with my Kyledove tileset (I Posted it in Game Dev Resources for anyone who wants it)

Keep it up :cool:

Putting the answer simple gives me the point, lol. Thanks for that I have decided I am using this starter kit. :)

NytewolfAU2k7
September 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Two questions... I hope someone can help me with. I will be grateful for any help;
1. How do I tell when the player has a certain item (for an ingame quest)
2. How do I show how many of a certain item I have collected in this menu;
http://www.freewebs.com/nytesgames/images/pkmn_cb_img11.PNG
I've got the foundation seen here working, but actually showing the amount is eluding me...

- Nytewolf

poccil
September 30th, 2007, 05:18 AM
The PokemonBag class has a function, pbQuantity, that does exactly what you want. You can use it to check for the existence or amount of an item in the Bag. Here's how to use it:

Conditional branch for checking for the existence of an item:

$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::POTION)>0

Script example: Printing the number of items

itemname=PBItems.getName(PBItems::POTION)
itemqty=$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::POTION)
print("#{itemqty}x #{itemname}")

Pkmn_knight
September 30th, 2007, 05:48 AM
poccil , could you make a little guide on how to use some of the scripts.

NytewolfAU2k7
September 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks for that, Poccil :)

BlueEew
September 30th, 2007, 10:47 AM
What version of RPG Maker do you have to have for this to work, I cannot get this working. Is there a free version.

Flameguru
September 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Poccil, there is a glitch appearing. For some reason if you compile your game and encrypt it for releases, some people get a missing character message. Whats up with that?

Please fix :) And Remember, it only happens if you compile it and Encrypt it, it will work fine if you compile it and leave it unencrypted....odd :\

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/Harshboy/error-2.png

poccil
September 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
That was a trick I made in order to access files from the Characters folder as pictures. Unfortunately that didn't work; however I can edit RPG::Cache to make the trick work properly.

Flameguru
September 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM
That was a trick I made in order to access files from the Characters folder as pictures. Unfortunately that didn't work; however I can edit RPG::Cache to make the trick work properly.

O, once you do that send me the fix via PM. I made a temp fix atm but it costs is 400kb of extra download :(

Pokê Fan
September 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Why can i a New Pokemon paste???

i will Turtwig a pokemon of diamond paste^^

in the pokestarter

hope can me Help

BlueEew
September 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
What version of RPG Maker do you have to have for this to work, I cannot get this working. Is there a free version.

Can anyone help me please. I need to get a working version of RPG Maker to be able to use the starter kit. Blizzys kit is working using the Postility Kights version. My trial version as now given up.

I need to know what exactly I need to download to get the starter kit working. I want to start making the first demo for a project I am doing at my community.

Flameguru
September 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Can anyone help me please. I need to get a working version of RPG Maker to be able to use the starter kit. Blizzys kit is working using the Postility Kights version. My trial version as now given up.

How about you actually buy RPG Maker XP?

Why can i a New Pokemon paste???

i will Turtwig a pokemon of diamond paste^^

in the pokestarter

hope can me Help

Nobody can understand you at all and this is covered in the Notes.txt file.

Demonic Budha
September 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Hi, i noticed that you added support for the HM fly. I was just woundering if you were going to make an example of this in a later relese.
Thanks

poccil
September 30th, 2007, 03:33 PM
If anyone encounters problems loading the project file, then it helps to use an older version and to accordingly change the text of "game.rxproj" to "RPGXP 1.01" or "RPGXP 1.00".

Darklight
September 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Poccil!
First, I thank you for this starter kit you're making.
You're a God for all Pokemon-game makers.
Well, there's still a few things I want to ask you:
-Can you include a fullscreen option?
-Can you make a detailed guide to use these scripts (like how to add attacks, items etc. And how to add the attack description)
-Can you make a guide on how to use the Animation Editor?

Well, I know this isn't so easy for you but if you can do it we'll be very grateful to you.

Thanks in advance...
Goodbye

[email protected]
September 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
xD Thanks for this Poccil it works awsomely :P... Except for when I try to add one badge it glitches so I can't move....
Can anyone help me with this please? ^^
Event:http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/koolkats109/HelpScreenie.png2:http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/koolkats109/HelpScreenie2-1.png3:http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/koolkats109/HelpScreenie3.png

~Thanks

poccil
September 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
The problem is that the second event page is based on a parallel process trigger.

As I realized not long ago, my custom message system can cause the game to freeze if a text event command is placed on an event page with a parallel process trigger. In fact, I don't tend to recommend placing text event commands or other commands that require user input on such event pages. The fix for this problem is to augment Event Page 1:

Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle ...
Text: Dang oh well you won...
Script: $Trainer.badges[0]=true
Control Self Switch: A =ON
End Branch

After doing so, Event Page 3's self switch can be changed to A instead of B and Event Page 2 can be deleted.

[email protected]
September 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Ok thanks I got it all fixed up now ^^ and now for (hopefuly) my last question, how do we figure out the quordinates of a place?

BlueEew
September 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I have some questions about the features, if someone dosen't mind answering them for me. :)

1) Are IVs and EVs added to the starter kit, also base stats for every single Pokemon?

2) Are natures and abilities added to the start kit, with the same powers of the GBA games?

3) Can you add shiny Pokemon, I am guessing you can by the sprites in the pack?

4) What PokeFeature as been added or is avalable, i.e PokeGear etc. What is in the starter kit and works?

5) Can Pokemon have hold items?

6) Dose the PC work? Hall of Fame, Pokemon Storage, Item Storage etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions. :)

Minorthreat0987
September 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I always hate posting in here bothering you Poccil. lol im sure you get tons of questions now. lol

Anyway, the way i use this kit is i copy all the important things from your demo into my file folder instead of copying my important stuff to yours, so the switches you have set for the kit are already used as other things in my game so i was wondering where i could change those in the script file so that everything still works, for example the starting over switch where is that set? i hope you understand. thanks you in advance this kit is awsome.

poccil
September 30th, 2007, 06:00 PM
1. Pokemon's stats are calculated exactly as they are in the games, thus they have Individual Values and Effort Values. Base stats for each Pokemon are defined in PBS/pokemon.txt . That file is designed so new Pokemon can easily be created.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. There is a possibility to meet wild shiny Pokemon in the games.

4. There is the Pokedex and PokeGear, as well as the bag, shops, PC, and Pokemon Center.

5. Yes they can. You can try it for yourself by selecting a Pokemon and choosing Item.

6. Only Pokemon storage is supported in the PC system. Item storage is not necessary because it's easier to increase the bag's maximum size.

Minorthreat0987:

The constant STARTING_OVER_SWITCH as well as other important constants are defined at the top of the script section PokemonField. Also note that the variables numbered 1 through 25 are reserved by the game system and should not be used by custom games.

Due to a request I have made a short guide on using the animation editor. (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/animeditor.txt)

Pokê Fan
October 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM
I war that not… Flameguru

you can show me it
with pictures with 1,2,3 and so on?
Please :(

I Mean in the pokestarter is 386 pokemons i will a new paste it is 387 pokemons become ^__^

I will Tuwtwig paste.

hope can me help Pokê Fan