PDA

View Full Version : Pokes that don't make sense...

Kyogre77
September 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Like, you know...

- A fish (Remoraid) evolving into an octopus

- Arceus with 1ooo arms (what the...??)

- Sucker punching Diglett *meh*

- If "Bonsly" used low kick...would it's legs snap off :P

Discuss.

7rial 0F Doom
September 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Like, you know...

- A fish (Remoraid) evolving into an octopus

- Arceus with 1ooo arms (what the...??)

- Sucker punching Diglett *meh*

- If "Bonsly" used low kick...would it's legs snap off :P

Discuss.

Me neither, if Arceus(GOD) has 1000 arms, why not Giratina(DEVIL)
be the same as well?

Crazy Weavile
September 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Chimecho: It's hollow, ergo, it has no organs. How does it live when it's essentially a skin?

Katalyst
September 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think a weakling fish like Magikarp evolve into a powerful dragon like Gyarados. No sense.

Ichida
September 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Anything under 500 base stats. :P

Anti
September 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Anything under 500 base stats. :P

lol! That sure made me laugh, but how is it that slowking and slowbro learn flamethrower?

EDIT: Not to mention golem.

Ichida
September 11th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Because looking at them induces fiery rage into me. :P

Faceless*
September 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Spiritomb learning Sucker Punch O_o

Ichida
September 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Because anyone using it is a sucker.

Always and Never
September 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Good second grade insult :p

Umm, Staryu. HOW CAN IT TALK!? It creeps me out.

Timbjerr
September 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Doduo and Dodrio using Fly...they don't have wings and their pokédex data says that they're flightless...

Tanooki
September 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
The amount of Pokemon that have wings, yet cannot learn fly (Butterfree for example).

Kyogre77
September 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Speaking of flying... How can a tiny Spearow, Pidgey, Tailow, etc. Carry you around the world?!?!?!

& how there is no Pure Flying types. (I don't think) O_o

Team Poison
September 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Rock/Ground Pokémon Being able to learn surf for example Rhydon because its part Rock Part Ground and Rock/Ground Pokémon get 4x damage from water type moves so would it faint if it went into water!

Aegis
September 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
About Arecues with 1000 arms, it's based off of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin) and this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangu). Both of them are Chinese myths of creation. I suppose the arms came out of the yellow thing around Arceus's middle.

MasterWGS
September 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Female Mr. Mime.

'Nuff said.

Team Poison
September 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Some Pokémon laying eggs!

The only animals that have eggs are Fish, Birds, Bugs, Reptiles and Amphibians, so why do the mammal looking Pokémon come from eggs!

Willbey
September 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Speaking of flying... How can a tiny Spearow, Pidgey, Tailow, etc. Carry you around the world?!?!?!

& how there is no Pure Flying types. (I don't think) O_o

I agree....

Look, shaymin is just a tiny sheep, why it's a lengendary?
It should be a rare pokemon, but not a legendary! Look, what a little sheep can do? No sense!

Shiraishi
September 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
WTF? Garchomp can learn SURF. Yea, thats right SURF.

dragon 122
September 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
how about butterfree,beautifly how can they be bug/fly type
have u ever seen a butterfly fly as high as most birds
and dont much bugs get eaten by birds

JX Valentine
September 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I don't think a weakling fish like Magikarp evolve into a powerful dragon like Gyarados. No sense.

Perfect sense if you knew the myth that the Magikarp line is based on.

And, well, how broken Gyarados was back in Generation I.

Anyway, how about the lack of a preevolution of Kangaskhan to explain what the crap the thing in its pouch is? Or maybe why, if Cubone take their skulls from their dead mothers, newly hatched Cubone that are kept on your team already have their skulls.

Also, Ghost Pokemon being able to breed and to hatch from eggs at all. Um, what? Doesn't that contradict the fact that Ghost Pokemon are supposed to be dead?

Aegis
September 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I agree....

Look, shaymin is just a tiny sheep, why it's a lengendary?
It should be a rare pokemon, but not a legendary! Look, what a little sheep can do? No sense!

*Hedgehog

It's legendary because it can decompose toxins in the air, and and turn lands into flower fields . We'll probably find out more about it in the 11th movie.

Team Poison
September 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Heatran is a good example it is a Fire/Steel Pokémon but wouldn't the Fire half of itself destroy it's Steel half because fire does 2x damage to steel!

Marill and Azumarill can learn Grass Knot which is a grass type move but they are both water types!

Staryu and Starmie can learn Thunder which is an Electric type move but would they just fry because they are water types!

Flareon can learn Rain Dance which is a Water type move but it is a fire type so wouldn't it be exstinguised!

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Heatran is a good example it is a Fire/Steel Pokémon but wouldn't the Fire half of itself destroy it's Steel half because fire does 2x damage to steel!

Marill and Azumarill can learn Grass Knot which is a grass type move but they are both water types!

Staryu and Starmie can learn Thunder which is an Electric type move but would they just fry because they are water types!

Flareon can learn Rain Dance which is a Water type move but it is a fire type so wouldn't it be exstinguised!

Well, all pokemon are like that. They learn moves that aren't their type. The staryu/mie family wouldn't fry...they wouldn't be stuid enough to attack themselves! About heatran, if we used that criteria to make dual types, we'd hardly have any. Rain Dance doesn't do any damage. While your points are toatally logical, pokemon is supposed to be unrealistic and illogical...but, on the flipside, how can gardevoir be male? Same with milotic...

Gymnotide
September 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Sucker punching Diglett *meh*
Spiritomb learning Sucker Punch O_o

A sucker punch is not a punch. Merely an unexpected and unfair attack while your enemy is off-guard and out of combat.
If "Bonsly" used low kick...would it's legs snap off
It wouldn't be any fun if Bonsly and Sudowoodo couldn't move.
It's hollow, ergo, it has no organs. How does it live when it's essentially a skin?
The same applies for Shedinja. I suppose we will never know.
I think that's the point.
WTF? Garchomp can learn SURF. Yea, thats right SURF.
Garchomp is a JETPLANE... Thing. I suppose it just runs really fast over the water. Who knows?
how can gardevoir be male? Same with milotic...
The same way as people are? What's wrong with a male Gardevoir and Milotic? There are female Gyarados -______-

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yes, I suppose you're right. I wish the gender ratios would be altered a little. Still, milotic looks very feminine. The problem is that pokemon isn't supposed to be logical, somewhat defeating the purpose of our arguments. Just look at Gary's magmar vs. Ash's heracross. No logic...

Team Poison
September 12th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ok then so why can genderless pokémon still breed with other genderless pokémon!

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Because pokemon doesn't apply logic...ditto is the only pokemon that can do this anyways, and I actually understand why...I mean, just look at the name of it.

mystletainn
September 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Some Pokémon laying eggs!

The only animals that have eggs are Fish, Birds, Bugs, Reptiles and Amphibians, so why do the mammal looking Pokémon come from eggs!

I believe its stated in the game that no one has ever seen a Pokemon actually laying an egg. Haven't you noticed that the people say "I don't know how it got here, but do you still want it, right?" It's a mystery that I'm sure the people at Game Freak/Nintendo don't even know how to explain.

Wow. Terrible English.

Team Poison
September 12th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I believe its stated in the game that no one has ever seen a Pokemon actually laying an egg. Haven't you noticed that the people say "I don't know how it got here, but do you still want it, right?" It's a mystery that I'm sure the people at Game Freak/Nintendo don't even know how to explain.

Wow. Terrible English.

But still wouldn't you get the actual Pokémon that are mammal looking at hatched form Pokémon!

It is bad english because I'm dyslexic!

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Who really cares? It is only for the battling aspect of pokemon, and why you don't see them...I'm glad actually. All I care about is that I get my Abra with the elemental punches (I play emerald). I think getting more detailed would be unnecessary...Chansey is laying an egg! Let's go watch!...no. That's my view on that. As for weird pokemon themselves, I just hate how recycled some are. First there was pidgeot, then fearow and dodrio, then swellow, now staraptor...and don't get me started on the dragonite copies...why aren't newer pokemon more original?

Chibi Pika
September 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Female Mr. Mime.

'Nuff said.
<<;

... I'm not even going to say anything, as I tire of it. But you get a cookie if you know why this = *headdesk*

Also, Ghost Pokemon being able to breed and to hatch from eggs at all. Um, what? Doesn't that contradict the fact that Ghost Pokemon are supposed to be dead?
I've always though that they're not actually *dead* but moreso just ectoplasmic in form, as it wouldn't make much sense... A Pikachu dies...and is reincarnated as Duskull??? o_O
First there was pidgeot, then fearow and dodrio, then swellow, now staraptor...and don't get me started on the dragonite copies...why aren't newer pokemon more original?
Dragonite copies? Like Salamence, who looks nothing at all like Dragonite? Since Dragon is a whole Element in itself, there kinda have to be many dragons. And how does an Eagle/pigeon = sparrow = swallow = starling? The division of "bird" is just as vague as the division of "mammal." Individual species of bird are wide game.

And I really don't understand where people are getting this idea that if a Pokemon uses a move SuperEffective against itself, it would faint. It's not attacking ITSELF! o__O;;;

~Chibi~

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I mean as far as stats and usage are concerned. With D-nite, I'm talking about the dragons with inflated stats, nothing to do with appearance. It is Mence and Garchomp that kind of copy Dnite's purpose...same with the birds, only each one gets better. Soon each will have 180 base attack and speed...they are unoriginal is my point. Same goes for the electric rodent(s) each gen brings. Pikachu, then pichu...okay so far I'm okay with this...then they bring in plusle and minunj, as well as picharisu or whatever. How...original. Also, seraleo and seal have too many similarities, even in the name. I may be whining, but there could be better designed, more original pokemon in their places...that's what I'm getting at. The only reapeat I'm okay with are legendary trios honsetly, though the ones in D/P were too similar...

Scarlet Weather
September 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
ALL YOUR OPINIONS ARE BELONG TO ME

Okay, "All your base" reference aside, I agree with the whole "Ectoplasmic" thing. Really, if all Pokemon came back as ghosts, what would the point of Pokemon Tower or Mt. Pyre be? Their spirits aren't exactly resting... plus, most ghost types are portrayed as being mischevious, so a personality switch from, say, a Rhydon would make no sense.

How about... Hyper Beam? It's like "Okay, normal type is failing, let's give it a move that Rattata can learn that does massive damage". I mean, it doesn't matter what the normal type. I can just imagine a fragile Rattata launching a beam that crushes through six walls. I mean, how is that considered "Normal"? What's so "Normal" about the normal type anyway? 0_o

As far as "unoriginal" goes, it's like the starters: All regions have their own native species of Pokemon that performs a certain task well. That's how it works. It's basically like how wolves live in North America and cape hunting dogs live in Africa. They're both predators, but that doesn't mean that one is a copy of the other.

Azonic
September 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Wha? Mew can learn Steel Wing. Thats a shocker 0.0

Now cats can grow wings, and dogs will flush after they poo 0.0.0.0.0

Star★Seeker
September 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Tyranitar with Surf
Female Mister Mime
Rampardos with Whirlwind
Ash's Pikachu
Male Roselia and Gardervoir and Lopunny
That's my list

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I don't quite understand why feebas is so tough to find...does it blend in or something?

Lone--Wanderer
September 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Tyranitar. How the heck can it even walk with those stubby little legs, much less actualy outrun stuff from time to time?

Team Poison
September 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Feebas are hard to find because they want to give you a hard time trying to get a Milotic!

Also how is Voltorb and Electrode supposed to get up hills and stairs!

J-Rad
September 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM
what I don't get is why volt tackle is a pika eculsive and it can't even use it right.

Lone--Wanderer
September 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Who said it can't? And it is Pika-only because Pikachu sucks Wailord balls and needs something to redeem it a little.

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Feebas are hard to find because they want to give you a hard time trying to get a Milotic!

That is no good reason though...there must be something, as I'm sure nintendo wouldn't wanna make our lives THAT miserable. Voltorb and electrode can levitate, though it isn't their ability. Even then, just return it to the poke ball. Simple.:)

Milotic is easy...it's that stupid feebas that ticks me off. Why nintendo? WHY?

J-Rad
September 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Who said it can't? And it is Pika-only because Pikachu sucks Wailord balls and needs something to redeem it a little.

because of the split volt tackle is pyshical and pika attack is terrible it only has good sp. atck.

also voltorb/electrode could just use magnet rise

Chibi Pika
September 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Tyranitar. How the heck can it even walk with those stubby little legs, much less actualy outrun stuff from time to time?
Well, its Speed *is* awful slow.
It uses electric boosts--that's why it's so fast.
I mean, how is that considered "Normal"? What's so "Normal" about the normal type anyway? 0_o
It's normal because the energy has no elemental orientation. And I imagine the weak ratatta wouldn't have too strong a beam. It's reliant on the energy of the Pokemon, after all.

Man, it's been too long since I've gone on rampages of rationalizing and reworking aspects of canon and the Pokemon universe. These threads are often great sources of inspiration for points of versimilitude in fanfiction...
I mean as far as stats and usage are concerned. With D-nite, I'm talking about the dragons with inflated stats, nothing to do with appearance. It is Mence and Garchomp that kind of copy Dnite's purpose...same with the birds, only each one gets better. Soon each will have 180 base attack and speed...they are unoriginal is my point. Same goes for the electric rodent(s) each gen brings. Pikachu, then pichu...okay so far I'm okay with this...then they bring in plusle and minunj, as well as picharisu or whatever. How...original. Also, seraleo and seal have too many similarities, even in the name. I may be whining, but there could be better designed, more original pokemon in their places...that's what I'm getting at. The only reapeat I'm okay with are legendary trios honsetly, though the ones in D/P were too similar...
It's to avoid repeats. As ACC said, each region needs to have its own native species of "insert common animal here." So...should Hoenn and Sinnoh not have had any birds...is that it? The Pika clone is an overused point--there is always going to be one. It just is. Its a concious decision, and not like "gee, we need to fill in spots in the dex, what can we revamp and pass off as a new Poke..."

And if the original sucked, why can't a new one be made to improve the concept? I think you're combinging unoriginality of design and of purpose into one thing. I'm sorry, but making a defensive/special attacker common bird doesn't strike me as "original." With so many insane combinations of stats, movepools and purpose, unorthodox combinations based on design negates the purpose. =/

Sealeo and Seel's names is irrelevant, as Pokemon USA, Nintendo USA, or whoever makes the English names does a poor job sometimes. The fact that the two are the same animal should not detract from one's originality. What, so when one animal is taken..that's it...it can never have another Pokemon for it again? (There is the fact that they're both Water/Ice, though, and that could be a valid point...)

~Chibi~

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM
They are both seels, that's the problem, didn't realized the name thing till you pointed it out...but you bring up a good point. I just wish for those birds they could change the typing, appesarance, or something.

Chibi Pika
September 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
^ I think their appearances are unique enough. =S

But as the common bird, that's the role of Normal/Flying. They save the more exotic combinations for later in the game.

Plus, 4th gen had lots of cool new Pokemon stats orienations, like Shinx and one of the first Pokemon, with a large Attack rather than Special Attack. I think the battling system and stat setup of new Pokemon got a huge boost of new creativity with the 4th gen.

~Chibi~

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Yes, at least that did. Couldn't they at least make a pure flying type not kecleon (with color change)???

Chibi Pika
September 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
^ I thought Chatot would, since it's not really "Noramal" It's unusual enough that it seems it wouldn't, while it makes sense that Pidgeot and the like are.

Course...all the battlers were in an uproar about how useless it would make him...losing the Ghost resistance, but he's NU enough as it is, methinks. xP

So yeah...they should do it for novelty on a Poke that doesn't need to be competitively good. Or better yet--start out pure Flying, and gain a second type on evolution.

~Chibi~

Anti
September 12th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, really. I never understood that. Pokes that don't make sense...Ash's pikachu comes to mind. It is invincible, then loses to an elekid...nice job, Ash.

Eos Aduro
September 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
One thig that doesn't make sense, Ditto can breed with Beldum, Porygon, and some tohers, but they can't breed woth each other. So what do they turn into? And wild Kakuna only knowing Harden when if we evolve them they have tackle and string shot, but if they evolve in the wild they dont.

kebbles
September 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Feebas into Milotic?
I guess its just like Magikarp into Gyrodos
lol bit weird if u ask me

Team Poison
September 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
If a Pokémon uses self destruct in battle wouldn't that mean that Pokémon would cease to exist!

Anti
September 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Hmm, good question...but I think the answer is that using those kind of moves only makles the pokemon faint, not die. Poke mon, as I've mentioned b4, isn't really logical, or at least as far as situations like that...okay, I fogot what I was gonna say after that...oops, but I think you may get my point.

Tanooki
September 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff being able to learn Splash.

Also, all three are somehow Flying type, yet don't have wings, and only Jumpluff has even remotely similar flying charecteristics. Weird.

sims796
September 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well, Jumpluff is light as buttered toast...

Lone--Wanderer
September 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM
No. Buttered toast weighs more, I think.

Anyways...Milotic. What are the purpose of those big eyebrow-fin-wings?

Chibi Pika
September 15th, 2007, 08:41 AM
If a Pokémon uses self destruct in battle wouldn't that mean that Pokémon would cease to exist!
Hmm, good question...but I think the answer is that using those kind of moves only makles the pokemon faint, not die. Poke mon, as I've mentioned b4, isn't really logical, or at least as far as situations like that...okay, I fogot what I was gonna say after that...oops, but I think you may get my point.
Hey, you'd be surpirsed how easy it is to logic through Pokemon game oddities. I've never accepted "just cause it's a game" as an answer to anything.

But to answer his question, it gathers all the energy in its entire body and supercompresses it, unleshing it as a massive explosion (and obviously incapacitating itself in the process.

Anyways...Milotic. What are the purpose of those big eyebrow-fin-wings?
WHy does any Pokemon have what it had? Probably to add to its overall complexity/design. Practicality-wise, though, they're probably feelers of some sort, either that or used to attract a mate (like birds that have big colorful feathers).

~Chibi~

Eos Aduro
September 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I dont understand how some Pokemon have eggs, why Wobbufett has lipstick if its female... I think Milotics large eyebrow things are because without anything there it would look bland, plus probably for channeling energy. Like the tube at the back of Mewtwo head, I think thats for channeling psychic energy.

Rivvon
September 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I'd like to know why there's no difference between the male and female Lopunny. It kind of freaks me out, a "curvy" male, even if it's just a Pokemon.

Also, they say Latios and some others can understand human language, but can't they all? They wouldn't be able to understand us when we call out their attacks if they didn't.

Tanooki
September 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Well, Jumpluff is light as buttered toast...
That may be, but it still doesn't learn any Flying-type attacks.

Here's another one to think about: Gligar being Ground/Flying type. How is that even possible?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Here's another one to think about: Gligar being Ground/Flying type. How is that even possible?

I know what you mean. when I first seen it I thought it would be a Ground/Poison since it is a scorpion and you know that some can be poisonous.

Also Pokemon that can Learn a move that requires swimming (Surf) and if they get hit by it they will faint. Especially if they have a 4X weakness to it. Example Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Tyranitar and somewhat Garchomp. And 4x weakness Rhyperior and Rhydon

:t354:TG

Arkray
September 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
The female Wobuffet, were do all of them get their lipsicks! and also mew, maybie they put him lots of atacks because he haves teh DNA of all pokemons, but a mew using atacks like steel wing? he doesnt haves wings!

Togefan
October 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
The female Wobuffet, were do all of them get their lipsicks! and also mew, maybie they put him lots of atacks because he haves teh DNA of all pokemons, but a mew using atacks like steel wing? he doesnt haves wings!

mabey mew grows temporary steel wings and uses them until the attack is over...o_o

CrazyCam
October 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Definitely the DP Evolutions: Snorunt-Froslass, Piloswine-Mamoswine, etc. Seriously, some of those evolutions are pretty freaky, but Snorunt into Froslass is the main one I find weird that hasn't been mentioned.