PDA

View Full Version : Who looks more Phoenix-like?

To Write Love On Her Arms
September 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM
As the title says,who looks more a lot like a phoenix?Moltres or Ho-oh?
and why?

My oppinion is Ho-oh. state your oppinion.

JX Valentine
September 18th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Depends on which branch of mythology you're talking about. When it comes to the Arabic phoenix, I'd say that, sure, a bird on fire seems like a good likeness to a phoenix. However, with Asian mythology, sure, Ho-oh has the regality and fierceness (and multiple colors, for that matter) of the bird.

Jorah
September 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hmm...well Moltres looks more like the phoenix on the front of the Harry Potter book XD

J-Rad
September 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
moltrez cauze ho-oh isn't even based on a pheonix in the littlest bit, ho-oh is the rainbow pokemon , they made it fire, cauze fire can be all these different colors.

Dead Pool Avenged
September 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
im just going to say ho-oh be its looks more pheonix like to me

JX Valentine
September 18th, 2007, 03:09 PM
moltrez cauze ho-oh isn't even based on a pheonix in the littlest bit

Ho-oh is based on this (http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ho-oo-phoenix.shtml), so yes, it's a phoenix.

The Fallen
September 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I would say Moltres looks more like a typical or more common phoenix, while Ho-oh would represent more of a rare phoenix.

Alter Ego
September 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Well, my picture of the phoenix has always been more of the asian variant, so Ho-oh looks more phoenix-like to me. Moltres...well, it just doesn't have that same regal (and rather arrogant) flair to it. To me the grandiose tailfeathers are also an important part of the phoenix image so yeah, Ho-oh it is. :3

Shiver
September 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Moltres looks more like a Phoenix to me than Ho-Ho, who looks like a overgrown Peacock. :D

Umi Ryuzaki
September 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
moltres and ho-oh are based on the phoenix
Moltres is based on the phoenix of Arabic legend
but moltres looks more like the phoenix than ho-oh is my opinion

Ichida
September 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Moltres. Can't get more Phoenix-like than a bird with wings of flame. Ho-oh is just colorful.

AS V.1
September 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Moltres: Flaming bird, doesn't get anymore Phoenixish than that.

Me2UJus4Free
September 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Well, my picture of the phoenix has always been more of the asian variant, so Ho-oh looks more phoenix-like to me. Moltres...well, it just doesn't have that same regal (and rather arrogant) flair to it. To me the grandiose tailfeathers are also an important part of the phoenix image so yeah, Ho-oh it is. :3

What a truly ignorant thing to say. You basically slapped Egyptian culture and it's mythology in it's face. It shows how much you know about the mythology behind the phoenix.

It doesn't matter which one looks more like a phoenix. They're both flaming chickens.

Gunn
September 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Well, when "phoenix" comes to mind, I interpret it as a fire bird, so I guess Moltres, but I still prefer Ho-Oh over as a favorite.

Cosmic Tyrant
September 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I would guess Ho-Oh as the phoenix. Not only do I see it more in Ho-Oh than Moltres, but If Moltres was a Phoenix, then what would that make Zapdos and Articuno? D=

Alter Ego
September 22nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
What a truly ignorant thing to say. You basically slapped Egyptian culture and it's mythology in it's face.

What part of 'to me' don't you understand? Like I said: the first phoenix I got acquainted with was the Asian one; not the Egyptian, thus my idea - the intellectual default, if you will - of what a phoenix is supposed to look like is tailored accordingly. There are many overlaps between mythologies (Including an Asian variant of the phoenix, featured in a fairy tale I heard when I was young, thus why it's so firmly imprinted in my mind), having heard of one before the other doesn't make me any more ignorant than you (Just as how preferring the western default of a dragon (basically a big lizard with wings and claws) isn't any more ignorant that sticking to the snake-like design from Asia), and I never claimed that the asian phoenix was in any way superior to the Egyptian one, so kindly dismount your Egyptian high-horse and stick to the topic. If anything, your statement is proving you just as ignorant as me for discounting the fact that Egyptians don't have a freakin' copyright on the phoenix. xP

Pikachu2007
September 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Depends on which branch of mythology you're talking about. When it comes to the Arabic phoenix, I'd say that, sure, a bird on fire seems like a good likeness to a phoenix. However, with Asian mythology, sure, Ho-oh has the regality and fierceness (and multiple colors, for that matter) of the bird.

Thst's true. Both look like phoenixs to me.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 23rd, 2007, 05:35 AM
Moltres. Can't get more Phoenix-like than a bird with wings of flame. Ho-oh is just colorful.

you took the words right out of my mouth. Houou is like one of those fruity birds. When I think of Phoenix I think of fire and Houou doesn't show and Fire on its body but Moltres does

:t354:TG

Rivvon
September 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Honestly I was actually shocked when I read that Moltres was based off of a phoenix...that's not what I pictured any kind of phoenix to look like at all...then again, Ho-oh doesn't look much like a phoenix either...but moreso than Moltres, so I'd say Ho-oh.

Also, I'm strongly aware of what an Asian phoenix looks like, but not so much Arabic...although Moltres looks nothing like the phoenix/simurgh of Iranian/Persian mythology.

Always and Never
September 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hou-ou means Phoenix in Japanese, so you know where my vote is.

Bishopk
September 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
What a truly ignorant thing to say. You basically slapped Egyptian culture and it's mythology in it's face. It shows how much you know about the mythology behind the phoenix.

With that logic, anyone who says Moltres is being racist against Asians.

I do agree, however, that they're both flying chickens :D

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I do agree, however, that they're both flying chickens

there also both Flying and Fire types >.>

Come to think of it when you look at them in a certain way they do

:t354:TG