PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think pokemon died out?

.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
October 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Why do you think pokemon died out? I think it was because when schools started banning cards, people stopped collecting them and thus the craze died out. Share your views :)

MasterWGS
October 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM
I think it sorta died out because it's kind of like any craze/fad. It had its time, and then people moved on to other things.

That and it does have an incredibly kiddy appearance. That probably hindered its progression into kid's middle school/high school lives.

Anti
October 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
I think it sorta died out because it's kind of like any craze/fad. It had its time, and then people moved on to other things.

That and it does have an incredibly kiddy appearance. That probably hindered its progression into kid's middle school/high school lives.

That you can blame on the TV show. The games, competitive battling at least, is a difficult and strategic way of playing pokemon. The show gave pokemon a bad name IMO.

.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
October 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
Wow the views some people have XD

I honestly think that it is because of the schools banning the cards. I rekon that the craze was such a success because of the cards and being able to trade in school so when they eventually got banned thats why it sorta faded.

I am pretty sure that if today pokemon cards were aloud in school the craze would still be going on now. sigh.... the good old days eh><

Syaoran_2001
October 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
I've never heard of Pokemon cards being banned in schools. They were never banned in my school at least.

I think the real reason the Pokemon craze died is that the kids who liked it back then grew up. Those of us who were kids when Pokemon was at its peak are now in our 20's and have real lives. Of course, there's still the hardcore geeks like me who still have an interest in Pokemon for more than just nostalgia. My friends and I who were really into Pokemon in middle school lost interest around our first year of High School because we didn't want to be complete social outcasts. Instead we focused on far less geeky activities such as playing Magic The Gathering in the library after lunch. I didn't think about Pokemon for most of high school and it's just recently that I got back into it because I remembered how fun the games were and I wanted to try out some of the new ones. That and I new I had a huge box of cards sitting around that were only increasing in collectibility, and I love collecting things.

Radikaru
October 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
I haven't noticed that it died out... xD
But if it did it's probably because the fans back when it was new have grown out of it, or at least some have.

J-Rad
October 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Why do you think pokemon died out? I think it was because when schools started banning cards, people stopped collecting them and thus the craze died out. Share your views :)

it died becaus eit become more and more stratiegic and since teens these days hate games were u have to think they grew away from it and went into the halo series, the most barbaric games in the world...

Myoko-chan
October 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
How can you call a million dollar franchise that is still continuing "Dieing out?", just because I few schools ban cards ban stuff hardly takes anything away from Nintendo.

Shiraishi
October 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Pokemon never died. The people who do think that probably know nothing about competetive battling and sit on their arse playing in-game opponents.

The Infinite Devil Machine
October 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM

Haha! I remember when I was in third grade. Some middle schooler conned me out of my deck, lol.

Pokemon was a craze, like Digimon or Yugioh! it eventually falls out of the public eye. Still, it's a powerful franchise.

flight
October 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
If there's anything to blame, I would have to say the anime. Ash makes a bad example out of pokemon, especially how he acts. Pokemon is for all ages, not just for kids, though probably it was meant to be for kids, until older audiences took an interest.

Another possibility could be that people just grew out of pokemon. In the school that I go to, pokemon is rarely mentioned, and if you talk it about it there, you'd either humiliate yourself, or get made fun of, whatever the others feel like doing. There are only few people who actually took an interest in pokemon, and understand it's ups and downs.

Pokemon was awesome, but because of the anime, it made the whole series look childish and stupid. =\

And don't get me wrong, it's still awesome, but the anime is to blame for the whole series dying out. Pokemon cards..so cool, too.

airconditioning
October 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
and went into the halo series, the most barbaric games in the world...

Hahahahaha. Halo is tame. Have you ever played Manhunt?

On a serious note, Pokemon died out? *Looks around the forum*

Seems fine to me.

And to all those saying that the anime is to blame: you're absolutely right. We wouldn't be having this problem if the anime was just based off of Pokemon Special.

kohei
October 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Hahahahaha. Halo is tame. Have you ever played Manhunt?

On a serious note, Pokemon died out? *Looks around the forum*

Seems fine to me.

And to all those saying that the anime is to blame: you're absolutely right. We wouldn't be having this problem if the anime was just based off of Pokemon Special.
Manhunt is a beautiful game. In a barbaric sort of way.

And yes to Pokemon Special anime. I swear there was a petition somewhere on another forum.

DarkArcz
October 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Manhunt is a beautiful game. In a barbaric sort of way.

And yes to Pokemon Special anime. I swear there was a petition somewhere on another forum.

I'd prefer GTA, still has gore, but less...sickening scenes.

As for Pokemon, how can you tell it's died out? This forum has atleast 100 people at any given time a day, and near 1000 on others.

If Pokemon truly has died out, I'd say it was because of the anime. Or, to be more specific, the DUBBED anime. With it's stupid catchphrase (Gotta catch 'em all!) and kiddy themes of "friendship" and stuff(though I guess this was also in the original Jap anime). Also, who can confuse a riceball with a donut/sandwich? I don't know what 4Kids was smoking when they translated that bit...

JX Valentine
October 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM
To the people talking about Manhunt: I'd like to second the comment about Halo and also provide Bioshock as an example. I mean, sure, Manhunt's all about snuff films, but Bioshock has you brutally killing little girls. Granted, they're demonic little girls, but the point still stands. Either way, yes, you can get a heck of a lot more gruesome than Halo.

Anyway, I'd also like to second everyone who says that Pokemon died out. It didn't die out. All the fans just flocked to boards like these, rather than populate the Internet with zillions of smaller websites like they used to back in the late 90's/early millennium. I mean, to be honest, all the people who used to hate Pokemon are now saying "Pokemon. Eh. 'S okay." And sure, the older crowds are growing up, but the younger crowds are coming in all the time. I'm still seeing a lot of people saying, "DP/RSE is my first game." And, of course, if Pokemon was dying out, we'd be seeing a lot less people on these boards.

But if it ever dies out, it's probably just the fans growing up and moving on, with no new fans coming in (which isn't really happening all that much, but still). And given the fact that Pokemon is an old franchise, the youth attention might just be drawn in by something newer and shinier.

Harper
October 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Yeh, but guys you dont understand. Pokemon has died out! just cos we are still here loyal as ever it dsnt meen the rest of the world is. you cant say that pokemon hasnt died out just because there is a ot ofpeople on the forums, because that's what the forums are for, gathering people who think alike together.
i have a pet parrot and i'm on a parrot forum, and there is a lot of people on it, but that dosnt meen the whole world is mad about parrots.
people who dont like parrots or pokemon or yugioh or watever dont go and hang out on yugioh forums. so you cant get a proper idea of how many ppl dont play pokemon by looking at a pokemon forum.
i would get linched in my school if i ever said i played pokemon. even a lot of people in my group dont know.
but i do think that there are a whole lot more people who do play pokemon that dont admit it. i'm sure there would be a s@#%load more ppl than i actiay know. people who go home and dig out their old cards, or turn their gameboy on and play LG. but we're all just too afraid of admiting it.

DarkArcz
October 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Ah, but that is the point. Loads of members comming to this forum means loads of people sharing the same opinion. There are people who would laugh at my interests, but there are plenty more who also share it. Pokemon hasn't died out, it's just that the older fans are all in hiding, since talking about Manaphys and Celebis and Mews at work/in school isn't likely to get you promoted/get better grades.

Harper
October 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Actualy since i was ranting on for so long i didnt realise i went against the point i was originaly trying to make.
so let me clear it up:
pokemon died out. but the very people who would linch you (if you said you still played it) probably arnt that against it. i hate to evoke the PP word (peer pressure) but it may be true. people just threw out their old cards and sold their gameboys because they didnt want to be seen playing pokemon. We are those that couldnt let go, or were smart enough not to do stupid things like that, because we still enjoyed pokemon. I'm not going to stop playing until i want to stop playing. that dosnt meen everyone thinks like that...
Im not sure if i made any sense just then, just tell me if i didn't. i was on a roll. very rarely do i get worked up like that

Yeh but darkarcs. there may be loads of people here but this isnt restricted to one town or city. this forum is all over the WORLD. i dont no exactly how many people are n here. but i'll take a guess and say maybe 1000 or a bit more. that's still 1000, penuts compared to the amount of kids in the world.

DarkArcz
October 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Accually, there are 33292 members right now, so it's a fairly large peanut, eh? It's already a fairly good number, look at other franchises that peaked in popularity at the same time as Pokemon. Most of them have either died out, or suffered a steady decline. I'll give an example;Digimon. It used to be quiet popular, second only to Pokemon, but look at it now. It's seasons had 3-4 years in between each other, and most of it's fans have moved on. The fact that Pokemon still HAS fans, despite it's age, is an extremely good sign. Look at Mario, Zelda, and Sonic.

Harper
October 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Ok... i said 1000 because the bird forum im on has about 2000 members. ok a BIG penut... but i still stick to my idea. even 33k is penuts compared to the rest of the world.
dont get me rong here. i love pokemon, that's why i'm here on this forum. maybe there is enough of us to keep the franchise alive. but we are still underground. like La Resistance! mybe one day we'll rise up against our opressors and build a nation of pokelovers. but i still think pokemon is dead, or at least fallen out of public favour. excuse me for this but nothing else comes to mind. we're ust like crazy bondage nuters from germany. theres a lot of us, but that dosnt stop the rest of the world from frowning at us.

i rekon they should just move all of us pokemon freeks out to sum remote city full of free gameboys etc were we could live hapily by ourselves. maybe canberra... thats a big enough hole. actualy it's the must unused place in all ov australia. even the prime minister prefers to hang in sydney.

Syaoran_2001
October 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
As for Pokemon, how can you tell it's died out? This forum has atleast 100 people at any given time a day, and near 1000 on others.

The craze where every kid in America was playing Pokemon has died out. That doesn't mean that Pokemon still isn't popular among a select group of people i.e. the members on this board and other Pokemon forums.

If Pokemon truly has died out, I'd say it was because of the anime. Or, to be more specific, the DUBBED anime. With it's stupid catchphrase (Gotta catch 'em all!) and kiddy themes of "friendship" and stuff(though I guess this was also in the original Jap anime). Also, who can confuse a riceball with a donut/sandwich? I don't know what 4Kids was smoking when they translated that bit...

That's the case with most dubbed anime. They try to take out all the elements that are too culture specific or things that they don't think are "appropriate" for American audiences. As for the "Gotta Catch 'em All," slogan, that wasn't just for the anime, it was used for everything related to Pokemon, including the games.

ThePlaya
October 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM
hmmmm.......i have no idea why it did

but the real question is WHEN POKEMON WILL DIE OUT????

THAT WILL SUCK.:(

JX Valentine
October 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM
To Harper: Dude, since when has the entire world liked Pokemon anyway? Just because several billion people don't like a franchise doesn't mean it's suddenly unpopular. What makes a franchise popular is the several billion people who still do. And since fans come and go with Pokemon, it hasn't really died out yet. I'd say that it's not really thousands of fans that we're looking at. It's still millions because people are being enticed by the hype of the DS generation.

In general: As for every kid in America not playing Pokemon, I'd say you'd probably be surprised. There's plenty of closet fans out there. In fact, some of the people I know who never said that they were into Pokemon at all when I told them I was a fan actually came out to me several months later and admitted that they've gotten Diamond or Pearl (and, um, that it didn't compare to previous generations).

geckoriot
October 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
Because all the 1st gen Pokekids grew out of it and they didn't really make an effort to bring it to the knew influx of primary school kids. But nerdy big kids like my still love it :P

MasterWGS
October 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Heh, yeah. We'd probably see a world of difference in the "Pokemon Popularity" if everybody would just come out of their Poke-closet.

J-Rad
October 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
pokemon has died out a little, but it isn't as great as it used to be, R/B/Y sold over 4 million copies or something close to that, but if u look at sales for G/S/C u get more like 400 thousand copies, at one point almost every kid that thinks pokemon is a nerd's game they usualy have liked it, but moved on to different games.

.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
October 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
yeah i think that is a fair comment to make thats an important factor to take in. I wonder when pokemon will actually die out though...

Jorah
October 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Haha! I remember when I was in third grade. Some middle schooler conned me out of my deck, lol.

Pokemon was a craze, like Digimon or Yugioh! it eventually falls out of the public eye. Still, it's a powerful franchise.

Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh were crazes? o.O I don't think they were

pokemon has died out a little, but it isn't as great as it used to be, R/B/Y sold over 4 million copies or something close to that, but if u look at sales for G/S/C u get more like 400 thousand copies, at one point almost every kid that thinks pokemon is a nerd's game they usualy have liked it, but moved on to different games.

I think it was the 3rd gen that sold the worst out of all. I wish there was a site that said all the sells...but I'm sure I read on Bulbapedia that D/P surpassed 1st day sells on R/S by a lot

.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
October 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
probably. It was after all for a new console. Maybe pokemon isnt dying then... maybe its coming back.

It would be so cool if pokemon would come back, the battles at school. The cards the games. even the show. If it did come back it would be awsome!!! XD

President Showaddywaddy
October 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Trust me, if you even said the word pokemon at my school, one of three things will happen.
a)Isolated
b)Beaten up
c)Shot

Don't get me wrong, I think pokemon was a wonderful idea, but public interest has moved on. There may be a revival, but then, it's hard to convince teenagers that what they watched when they were six is good.

DarthSenorQueso
October 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Pokemon did not die out pearl this site has almost 700 people there are dozens of other sites like this pokemon pearl and diamond are the second best selling games next to mario there are three magazines the show somehow stays on need I go on?

airconditioning
October 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
1. Pokémon Red, Blue and Green (Gameboy) - 20.08 Million Copies Sold
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - 18 Million Copies Sold
3. The Sims (PC) - 16 Million Copies Sold
4. Nintendogs (Nintendo DS) - 14.75 Million Copies Sold
5. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Gameboy) - 14.1 Million Copies Sold
6. Super Mario Land (Gameboy) - 14 Million Copies Sold
7-tie. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Playstation 2) - 13 Million Copies Sold
7-tie. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (Game Boy Advance) - 13 Million Copies Sold
7-tie. The Sims2 (PC) - 13 Million Copies Sold
10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2) - 12 Million Copies Sold
11-tie. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64) - 11 Million Copies Sold
11-tie. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (Playstation 2) - 11 Million Copies Sold
11-tie. Grand Theft Auto III (Playstation 2) - 11 Million Copies Sold
14. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (Game Boy Advance) - 10.66 Million Copies Sold
15. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS) - 10.52 Million Copies Sold
16. Gran Turismo (Playstation 1) - 10.5 Million Copies Sold
17. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (Nintendo DS) - 10 Million Copies Sold
18. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - 10 Million Copies Sold
19. Final Fantasy VII (Playstation 1) - 9.8 Million Copies Sold
20. StarCraft (PC) - 9.5 Million Copies Sold
21. World of Warcraft (PC) - 9 Million Copies Sold
22. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (Nintendo DS) - 8.61 Million Copies Sold
23. Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation 1) - 8.5 Million Copies Sold
24. Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64) - 8.47 Million Copies Sold
25-tie. Halo 2 (XBox) - 8 Million Copies Sold
25-tie. Donkey Kong Country (Super Nintendo) - 8 Million Copies Sold
25-tie. Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo) - 8 Million Copies Sold
25-tie. GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo 64) - 8 Million Copies Sold
25-tie. Pokémon Yellow (Game Boy) - 8 Million Copies Sold

According to here (http://pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109020). Apparently, Diamond and Pearl have sold 10 million copies. I'd say that's pretty good for a game that's only been out for a year. Also, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_diamond_and_pearl#Reception).

.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
October 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
lol and its like only just come out in the uk so its still growing XD

Shiraishi
October 2nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'd prefer GTA, still has gore, but less...sickening scenes.

Is "Getto da ze" any better? Because thats what they use in the RAW version. It's quite annoying because I saw tons of pokemon commercials in japan.

DarthSenorQueso
October 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Eh.... you know you really should check things before you say pokemon is dying ...lol

MasterWGS
October 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
If we're debating over whether or not Pokemon has died out in the public's eyes, I really can't see anyone arguing that it's still alive.

You can show sales charts, tell me how many people still visit forums like these, and the like, but the openness of Pokemon is gone. That's what I'm saying.

No, I don't just mean in teenage/highschool/middleschool settings, either. In elementary schools there has even been a serious decline. I was a 5th/6th grader when Pokemon Red and Blue hit US shelves, and when it reached it's peak popularity. I was part of it. Back in those days, you'd be hard pressed to find a kid who didn't play. I'd see kids in resturaunt lobbies playing, I'd look out the window and see kids playing in the backseats of the cars, I'd go to my local toy store, and see signs saying "Sorry, we are out of stock of Pokemon cards. Shipments come in on Tuesday," and the next Tuesday morning see kids in line waiting for it to open. And it wasn't just around my small town home, either. I'd go on vacation and hang out with other kids from across America. I only met one kid who didn't own Pokemon. Everyone else played. Everyone. It wasn't just a fad for my generation, it was a way of life. Everyone was going to be a master.

But then it disappeared, almost without notice. I grew up, went to highschool, and never heard mention of Pokemon from anyone beside me and my one other die-hard friend in school, who eventually dropped it as well. Before I even knew it, the one thing I probably had in common with more kids than anything in the world, had become "uncool" to a large amount of people, a majority of them ex-trainers.

I'm not arguing that Pokemon isn't still big. The sales prove that, as do sites like these. However, its monsterous status has vanished. I am now the only person I know personally who plays Pokemon, and I know people from all sorts of age groups. Pokemon might not be dead, but it's in one heck of a coma in comparison to its history.

MegaDitto
October 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pokemon is still a subject of Popular Culture....

Just not in all it's areas as it used to be. Mostly the Adventure Games and the TV series.

DarthSenorQueso
October 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Im saying it is alive almost everyone in my school, friends ,mom,me likes pokemon and and its a big thing in the high school and in the pawn shop i go to...Hylian friend request.

Apathetic_Yen
October 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
People becoming more 'mature', which in reality, have actually grown to become more immature by doing even more reckless and dangerous things.

DarthSenorQueso
October 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
like I said in my community eveyone plays pokemon even the bullys and mom's and teachers.

airconditioning
October 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
People becoming more 'mature', which in reality, have actually grown to become more immature by doing even more reckless and dangerous things.

Sounds like someone's sour because he wasn't invited to the cool drinking party last weekend. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Gamerman/yelwacko.gif

DarthSenorQueso
October 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
MyAbe hopefully yes definetly

emolicious
October 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
i think it was becuz pokemon never stops and people just get bored of trying to catch em all

Trainer Trance
October 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

Wow the views some people have XD

I honestly think that it is because of the schools banning the cards. I rekon that the craze was such a success because of the cards and being able to trade in school so when they eventually got banned thats why it sorta faded.

I am pretty sure that if today pokemon cards were aloud in school the craze would still be going on now. sigh.... the good old days eh><

You like... hardcore stated the exact same thing twice, and I'm pretty sure that contributed nothing to Pokemon's popularity dimming.

I honestly think Pokemon died out a little bit PUBLICLY because the toy companies and Nintendo stopped pushing so hard. Toy sales went down, and a lot of stores simply stopped carrying the TCG. Ruby and Sapphire were a big letdown to most American fans who were expecting more, because the new designs were mediocre at best, except for a handful of the Pokemon.

I honestly saw a rise in fanbase again as FR/LG came out, mainly because old fans picked up the games as nostalgia.

D/P hardcore revived the series, but the main reason for that was because they just used Gold and Silver's features, saying that they were new and innovative, but really they were just gone for so long, then recycled back into the game, that people were wowed by it.

Jakk's Pacific's new toyline corresponding with the newer series of the games and anime have a bit more to do with it, because they're trying to bring it back in the toy sense by remaking the older mini figs (even though the toys aren't the classic Tomy figures like we had before, the newer, larger figures are more Anime oriented and look really well done). I'm still really upset about the Pokedex toys though, because even though they added voice, we're lucky to even be able to know what's going on due to the giant pixels that they've always used.

Come on, it was done with Pocket Pikachu, make a Pokedex with smaller, colored LCDs.

In conclusion, the franchise never really died, it just got sick and started to wither for a bit. Nothing was happening anime-wise, and still isn't, it's just a different region. Even then... Doesn't even seem like a new region...

Games, crapped out on us in the third generation, then caught back up to us in the fourth.

Cards... were never that cool to me, ^.^;

Toys, getting better, but the electronic 6" figures could really use a design where the speaker goes in the back (poor effin mewtwo has holes in his stomach/chest, and if it weren't for that, I would've bought it)

Me2UJus4Free
October 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Pokemon hasn't "died out". If it did, we wouldn't be talking about how it died out on a Pokemon forum. It's still a part of pop culture and it's not going anywhere anythime soon.

DarthSenorQueso
October 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Thank you for agring I deem this topic unworthy...