PDA

View Full Version : Underrated or lesser known Pokemon

Houndour2004
June 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
What is the most underrated or lesser known Pokemon?

Flygon trainer
June 20th, 2004, 11:56 PM
I'd say the power of Ludicolo is a bit underreated, as is Scyther

Iveechan
June 21st, 2004, 12:08 AM
You almost never hear about Tangela anymore. It's a shame the newer games gave it such a low special defense.

Toothache
June 21st, 2004, 08:06 AM
In terms of base stats, the Pokemon with the lowest set is... Sunkern! With an impressive 30 base in each of the 6 stats, for a total of 180...

Never see many Dodrio used..

lil' jose
June 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM
I'd have to say that chasey was an underestemated pokemon. It can be defencive or offesive. But more defecenive

Chairman Kaga
June 21st, 2004, 08:13 AM
Dunsparce...it's my favorite pokemon because it's one of the most forgotten ones...I enjoy casually battling with it, and I'm even training one to a high level on colloseum. I tend to use the more forgotten pokemon when I'm playing the game...for instance, I have a Chimecho on my Ruby version that is past level 50 and can take down some of Steven's pokemon in one hit, amazingly. I also like using things like Farfetch'd, Tangela, Magmar, Omastar, Gligar, Dunsparce, Mantine, and all the pokemon that people never use...

jynx
June 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM
Gorebyss? Huntail?
Any trainers used them before?
-------------------------------
USA banned "Unmentionable Pokemon J" from the cartoon! Arrrrrgh!

Porygon
June 21st, 2004, 10:24 AM
Porygon!!!! Hahaha!!!

I, too, also like Dunsparce, though. HP=insanity! I think I have a Dunsparce with more HP than a samelevel Lugia.

Really cool movepool, too, although it ends a but early.

Frostweaver
June 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM
ahem... Dodrio is absolutely everywhere. In that Summer Freedom Pokemon Tourament, it is banned because of overusage. The same goes for Ludicolo who is very hard to take down.

Omastar is on every single team with Kyogre in it... it's evil...

Unmentionable B's entire family is completely appreciated/hated, because it just won't die at all... it's superior in defense, and super annoying as offense with seismic toss or toxic.

Scyther is still used as a baton passer... it's net stats are actually equal to Scizor...

Tangela lost the insane defensive power from RBY (which is good because that thing can learn Amnesia). Now it's just... useless o.o; It's physical defense needs to be higher to be useful...

Sparks_67
June 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM
I have to say snorlax hardly used but its defense and hit points will murder the competion.

Iveechan
June 21st, 2004, 01:52 PM
In GSC, Snorlax was abused like mad. I'm sure it will come back into popularity. It's just that there's so many Pokemon to choose from.

Kairi
June 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM
Its got pretty poor defense but is a very common Focus Puncher and serves as an awesome Anti-blissey even Blisskarm. But eh, I never liked using it.

Shinin
June 21st, 2004, 04:41 PM
Tauros. I forgot all about him until a couple days ago when I was looking through the SPP pokedex.

Mew13
June 21st, 2004, 06:29 PM
How bout Barbaroach? How often do you think about that little guy?

Timbjerr
June 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM
I used to love using Parasect in RBY days...but I have nearly forgotten about it completely...

jynx
June 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Has anyone seen ralts in TV before?
Wondered.

Pikachu is so abused! I wished if could evolve right now!

Hinoshi-chan
June 22nd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Girafarig!
Slowking
hypno
politoid

and many more ^-^;;

Porygon
June 22nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Politoed=not as much so. After all, Misty has one XD

Timbjerr
June 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
Hypno!

It was one that I used to have in all my RBY games. I always thoguht it was much cooler than it's rival Alakazam.

Mew13
June 22nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Drowzee and Hypno have appeared in the episodes a few times before though....

How many times have you seen a Ninetails?? I've seen Vulpix a couple of times.... but hardly ever Ninetails, if at all!

Frostweaver
June 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Ninetales appears in a few episodes... it's used sometimes as an annoyer in game too.

Tauros roams the world of netbattle earthquaking anything in its path. It's a terror, not underrated. Perhaps in the anime though...

Snorlax has bad defense? Nu-uh! It can't be bad at all if a brick break from Zangoose can't even get it down to yellow. And, it's still abused, just not as much.

Parasect lost its signature move to Breloom, making it even more unpopular than before... aww the poor little thing... at least it got aromatherapy...

Slowking isn't as common as Slowbro, but definitely used and appreciated for its awesome special-defensive power. Evil slow bugger with calm mind... x_x;

Chairman Kaga
June 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
I have more that I never hear of in teams:

Murkrow: I used it on my silver version for kicks...not bad, really

Aerodactyl: Eh, it's ok...I gained more respect for it in G/S/C when Lance's was so awesome, but still, nobody uses it.

Victreebel: Only place I've ever seen this is with James...I admit, I've never even used it =/

Lickitung: I'll definitely be using this one when FRLG comes out, it's like the king of forgotten pokemon...for one thing you can only get it so late in the game that it's useless once you see it, but it's also been wiped out of the memories of the fans of the anime by that fiend Wobbuffet.

Venomoth: I always liked it, but nobody else did =/ I always loved to see it use psybeam on colosseum for some reason...

Granbull: Eh, it's a dog. An ugly, purple dog. There are some pokemon I can't even stand to use, and this is one of them.

Swalot: Same as above, except replace dog with blob.

Muk: One of my favorites for how it looks, and an occasional choice of mine on stadium...but besides that, I don't see anyone use it.

Beedrill: Why does nobody use this for fun? Its like butterfree, except EVIL. And its the only pokemon that can learn Twin-needle...

Exeggutor: Another forgotten pokemon...grass/psychic always was such a cool combo, even if it didnt have the best attacks...heck, Gary had one at the end in R/B/Y, but usually all it would use was Barrage, we never got to see its true strength =/

Cloyster: Eh, there are so many water types in the game that this one usually gets passed up for someone like Poliwrath...

Roselia: Maybe not used because its so creepy-looking?

Illumise: Eeeeeveryone goes for Volbeat, never Illumise, probably because we remember it for being one of the first gen-3ers released...

Wigglytuff: Everyone things its cute, but does anyone battle with it? Ive never heard of it ever used...

Golem: Awesome, but such a pain to find someone to trade with I guess =/

Lapras: Why? Ive always been a fan of Lapras, and yet nobody uses it...I hope we can catch wild ones in FRLG, because if we cant then well probably only be able to get the ridiculously low-level one in Silph Co...

Kairi
June 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM

Murkrow: I used it on my silver version for kicks...not bad, really Very UU, yeah.

Aerodactyl: Eh, it's ok...I gained more respect for it in G/S/C when Lance's was so awesome, but still, nobody uses it. in RS everyone uses it for its speed and physical diversity.

Victreebel: Only place I've ever seen this is with James...I admit, I've never even used it =/ Ahh, dont see em a lot be theyre okay!

Lickitung: I'll definitely be using this one when FRLG comes out, it's like the king of forgotten pokemon...for one thing you can only get it so late in the game that it's useless once you see it, but it's also been wiped out of the memories of the fans of the anime by that fiend Wobbuffet. Err, yeahvery forgotten indeed.

Venomoth: I always liked it, but nobody else did =/ I always loved to see it use psybeam on colosseum for some reason... Its got a nice ability kinda, but its also UU.

Granbull: Eh, it's a dog. An ugly, purple dog. There are some pokemon I can't even stand to use, and this is one of them. Some people like it for Heal Bell/Intimidate/and good attack w/Return, but meh.

Swalot: Same as above, except replace dog with blob. Aww, its not so bad! I kinda like it.

Muk: One of my favorites for how it looks, and an occasional choice of mine on stadium...but besides that, I don't see anyone use it. I do, nice stats but hard to pick a set.

Beedrill: Why does nobody use this for fun? Its like butterfree, except EVIL. And its the only pokemon that can learn Twin-needle... Err

Exeggutor: Another forgotten pokemon...grass/psychic always was such a cool combo, even if it didnt have the best attacks...heck, Gary had one at the end in R/B/Y, but usually all it would use was Barrage, we never got to see its true strength =/ This is overused as heck with Chlorophyll+Sunny Day and Solarbeam.

Cloyster: Eh, there are so many water types in the game that this one usually gets passed up for someone like Poliwrath... Nightmarish special defense is why.

Roselia: Maybe not used because its so creepy-looking? Too frail, too frail for its best moves, which require staying on the field for a while.

Illumise: Eeeeeveryone goes for Volbeat, never Illumise, probably because we remember it for being one of the first gen-3ers released...

Wigglytuff: Everyone things its cute, but does anyone battle with it? Ive never heard of it ever used... Countering Wiggly is funn

Golem: Awesome, but such a pain to find someone to trade with I guess =/ Ehh, I used to like it, but now with stuff like Armaldo

Lapras: Why? Ive always been a fan of Lapras, and yet nobody uses it...I hope we can catch wild ones in FRLG, because if we cant then well probably only be able to get the ridiculously low-level one in Silph Co...

Iveechan
June 22nd, 2004, 10:08 PM
I think Lapras will become more popular when fire/leaf come out. The thing is that there's soooooo many Pokemon and you can only use six, and so many water types. But with water absorb, high HP, and some nifty special attacks (like thunderbolt), Lapras is a killer. I plan to use the one in silph, save/restart 'til I get a modest one. And I think Granbull's cute :D. But it has a similar problem to Lapras, a lot of other normal types who are physical sweepers.

Frostweaver
June 22nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
Lapras is great... high natural hp kicks butt! Water Absorb to mess up Vaporeon and Milotic =p Plus Lapras movepool is HUGE. Definitely highly usable if you ask me...

I tried to use Granbul, but I can never balance out the EVs in such a way that he won't be OHKOed x_x; I think that's a problem with my skill that Granbull gets OHKOed frequently, not the Pokemon's fault though.

Go Muk! W00t! *has a muk on his competitive team*

Swalot's ugly appearance kills my interest... I'll pick muk over it.

The problem with Murkrow is that it can't do anything... even though now it can parafusion, it can't live a turn after using thunderwave... x_x; its speed isn't even that fast too. The stats...

Victreebel... I like that critter! It's the Venusaur wannabe with a much better speed and attack power to make up for the lack of earthquake that Venusaur possesses. (primary reason why Venusaur > Victreebel: lack of earthquake)

Cloyster- I tried using one, but failed miserably... I tried to use it against physical defenses only, and the results are still not of satisfactory. Its hp isn't high enough to allow it to tank physical attacks either... it is as fragile as ever in terms of sp.def... I don't mind the sp.def being low if the physical defense is in the tanking level, but that is not the case... it can only take 3 hits as physical, and 1 hit in special. blah...

Illumise is even worst tha Volbeat... at least Volbeat through miracle can pass on a tail glow. Illumise can't pass anything. Oblivious is a terrible ability as well.

Venomoth... Err... recently I got swept by one with sleep powder abuse and signal beam/sludgebomb O.o; Yes I learned the hard way that a Venomoth can single handedly sweep more than half of your entire team if there's no sleep clause x_x;

Sparks_67
June 23rd, 2004, 01:22 AM
Umm how about shellder never here much about them.

jynx
June 24th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I don't think I've seen Shellder apart from the epi with Slowpoke evolving

Porygon
June 24th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I guess ya could consider it a neglectorino, lol.

Pincushion
June 25th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Paras , cause you never hear about him or anything, i think he's abut odd but still cool!

Username :psy copy: :psy copy:

MysticGrandpaGohan
June 25th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Metapod? Is it lesser known?

ryan
June 25th, 2004, 07:00 AM
well... metapod may be lesser known, but it's not at all underrated... we all know what's up with metapod. though a truely underrated pokemon could maybe be... um...
ariados (is that how you spell that one dude's name who's the bug/poison from G/S/C?)

lil' jose
June 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I think that Heracross is underused, besides in Pokemon Johto the show. I mean who has ever seen a bug/fighting type before? I always use mine in R/U and G/S/C. Constantly being abused by people saying it's too weak to the birds. Well put a heracross up against a murkrow. Dark is wak to fighting. So use one of his fighting moves. Heck, he works for me he should work for you!

jynx
June 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Paras , cause you never hear about him or anything, i think he's abut odd but still cool!

Username :psy copy: :psy copy:
I've seen Paras on TV once.
Once...it evolved into Parasect.

lil' jose
June 25th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Yes Jynx is right. But just because it evolved on the show doesn't make it popular.

Pincushion
June 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM
I didn't say it was NEVER on the show just that not as offten as OTHERS! woops caps sorry:D

[B]

lil' jose
June 25th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Sorry about jumping down your throat like that username. really sorry.

`lil' jose`

Shana
June 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I agree with Porygon on this one...you never see Porygon anywhere! It's a shame. :(

jynx
June 26th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Agree!
Its only episode is banned World Wide!
Poor thing...

Frostweaver
June 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Porygon is famous BECAUSE it's on a banned episode... it makes everyone wanting to find out more about it ;p Plus it's evolution is darn strong in battling ^^

Dizzy
June 26th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Seadra and Ninetales, my beauties, are really neglected!

jynx
June 27th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Porygon is famous BECAUSE it's on a banned episode... it makes everyone wanting to find out more about it ;p Plus it's evolution is darn strong in battling ^^
Really?
I memorize every Pokemon's English name though...

Porygon
June 28th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Offtopic: Any Pokmon that can change its element at will [especially to one resistant to whatever the enemy uses] is bloody strong.

Ontopic: Ummmm did anybody say anything about Shuckle?

Chairman Kaga
June 28th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Odd, nobody said Shuckle yet...what a shame, he comes from one of my favorite episodes...A Better Pill to Swallow is just disturbing enough to be good XD In the game, I bet nobody likes him because, like Mr. Mime and Jynx in RBY, you have to trade for one, and boy do I hate nicknames when I don't give them. Besides, he's pretty weak... (which is why I bred one and battled it from level 5 on!)

Porygon
June 28th, 2004, 09:27 AM
You don't have to trade for Shuckle. Sometimes they're under rocks.
I once trained a Shuckle. I preferred Constrict and other highPP moves because it was only ever going to do 1 damage, anyway

Frostweaver
June 28th, 2004, 10:53 AM
there's wrap that does damage based on percentage, and there's always toxic for the little turtle ^_^ Shuckle is definitely remembered for the highest defense in the entire game (at the same time, lowest hp besides Shedinja)

Chairman Kaga
June 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM
You don't have to trade for Shuckle. Sometimes they're under rocks.
I once trained a Shuckle. I preferred Constrict and other highPP moves because it was only ever going to do 1 damage, anyway

Heh, I never knew that. I played those games to death and I never saw one Shuckle under a rock, only Geodudes and Krabbies o_O

This is making me almost want to start a new game on gold and only play with forgotten pokemon...imagine a team of Shuckle/Dunsparce/Mantine/Farfetch'd/Lickitung/Tangela...that'd be like the most unpopular team EVER...

Golden Groudon
July 1st, 2004, 08:04 AM
I suppose Magikarp is. Not talking about Gyarados, tho.

Timbjerr
July 1st, 2004, 08:17 AM
no, Magikarp is very well-know just for Gyarados.

how about the whole Hoppip line? They are very underused in the video games. However, in the TCG (I have a long history of playing the TCG that I now try to forget), they are pretty good...

Frostweaver
July 1st, 2004, 08:55 AM
no, Magikarp is very well-know just for Gyarados.

how about the whole Hoppip line? They are very underused in the video games.

fastest sleep powder user in game is underused? O.o;;

It's darn annoying leading it off with sleep powder, then throw leech seeds at anything it sees x_X; Also it's an annoying but one of the better way to lead off a sunny day team.

In the SF Pokemon Tournament, it was considered a borderline Pokemon I believe (meaning it's average in terms of usage, not enough to be overused but used more than enough to be considered underused)

EDIT: lol you hit the button twice Tmbjr ;p
And of course... who doesn't like evolution spore and 1 energy solarbeam for 30, and no retreat cost? XD

Kairi
July 1st, 2004, 01:22 PM
I dont see Jumpluff at all really. o_o; Maybe cause seed and sleep is all it can do with abysmal attack stats. ._.; Oh well.

Shana
July 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM
Another Pokemon you never see is Gastly. You basicly only see him in the episode where Ash goes to the Haunted House where all of the Ghost Pokemon live.

Frostweaver
July 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
but everyone catches Gastly to get an evil Gengar XD There's like TONS of Gastly TCG card (the one with nightmare is so ubar) and in the anime ti also appears in the Orange Islands for the haunted ship episode, as well as Morty's gym, and appearing 3 times in the anime is already pretty good.

Timbjerr
July 1st, 2004, 07:13 PM
EDIT: lol you hit the button twice Tmbjr ;p
And of course... who doesn't like evolution spore and 1 energy solarbeam for 30, and no retreat cost? XD
I know..it is sad that I didn't notice until 7 hours later XD

I said that the Jumpluff line was good in the TCG...1 energy card for the entire line, but low HP and the dominance of fire decks at the time made it unusable...

Frostweaver
July 1st, 2004, 08:29 PM
at least water resistance from those who are pure grass types stops the Ancestral Memorying Kingdras to a halt immediately... and Kingdra pwns those fire decks quite easily if playing unlimited (breeder + breeders field = Kingdra 2nd turn using smokescreen for 1 energy with one of the most annoying side effect ;p) meh but that's back in the time when I pay attention to cards... I lost track at the advance generation and EXs

hmm...

I think Fearow is quite underrated... we see it for 4 seconds in MANY episodes, but only as a scapegoat for something. It's never used in the game because of Swellow, and in TCG it still sucks...

AngelWolfie
July 1st, 2004, 11:42 PM

Murkrow: I used it on my silver version for kicks...not bad, really

Aerodactyl: Eh, it's ok...I gained more respect for it in G/S/C when Lance's was so awesome, but still, nobody uses it.

Victreebel: Only place I've ever seen this is with James...I admit, I've never even used it =/

Lickitung: I'll definitely be using this one when FRLG comes out, it's like the king of forgotten pokemon...for one thing you can only get it so late in the game that it's useless once you see it, but it's also been wiped out of the memories of the fans of the anime by that fiend Wobbuffet.

Venomoth: I always liked it, but nobody else did =/ I always loved to see it use psybeam on colosseum for some reason...

Granbull: Eh, it's a dog. An ugly, purple dog. There are some pokemon I can't even stand to use, and this is one of them.

Swalot: Same as above, except replace dog with blob.

Muk: One of my favorites for how it looks, and an occasional choice of mine on stadium...but besides that, I don't see anyone use it.

Beedrill: Why does nobody use this for fun? Its like butterfree, except EVIL. And its the only pokemon that can learn Twin-needle...

Exeggutor: Another forgotten pokemon...grass/psychic always was such a cool combo, even if it didnt have the best attacks...heck, Gary had one at the end in R/B/Y, but usually all it would use was Barrage, we never got to see its true strength =/

Cloyster: Eh, there are so many water types in the game that this one usually gets passed up for someone like Poliwrath...

Roselia: Maybe not used because its so creepy-looking?

Wigglytuff: Everyone things its cute, but does anyone battle with it? Ive never heard of it ever used...

Golem: Awesome, but such a pain to find someone to trade with I guess =/

Wigglytuff is my strongest pokemon on Blue version (I play that alot XD) and I use it more than my others...

Mew13
July 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
I think Raichu is kinda underrated because of the Pikachu fad. I am in love with Raichu! Pikachu only enters my team until it's string enough to evolve! Raichu is currently my 2nd strongest in Sliver.... I haven't evolved my Pikachu in Saphire yet.

Shana
July 3rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
but everyone catches Gastly to get an evil Gengar XD There's like TONS of Gastly TCG card (the one with nightmare is so ubar) and in the anime ti also appears in the Orange Islands for the haunted ship episode, as well as Morty's gym, and appearing 3 times in the anime is already pretty good.
Yeah, your right...I guess he isn't as lesserknown as I thought. :P

Toothache
July 3rd, 2004, 09:35 AM
And besides, one of the Officer Jenny's has a Gastly...

I used a Wigglytuff in my Blue squad, trained her up from a lowly L3 Jigglypuff all the way to L100, and didn't do too bad either (ah the annoyance of Sing!).

Never see many Kangaskhan used...

Frostweaver
July 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
ahem... the gameboy has some fair amount of Kangaskhan users... it's one of the fastest physical striker of the normal type family capable of learning fighting moves (got a terrifying underestimated speed). Tauros is better due to higher speed and intimidate but it can't learn fighting type moves like Kangaskan.

Shana
July 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
A Pokemon you never seem to see is Smeargul. (sp)

Timbjerr
July 3rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
A Pokemon you never seem to see is Smeargul. (sp)
If you use NetBattle, you see Smeargle a lot. Its ability to learn any move in the game makes it incredibly customizeable to any strategy. As usual, I tend to make my Smeargles into poison annoyers XD

Kairi
July 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Im particularly fond of the endeavor+endure+spore Smeargle, pretty clever. ^_^

Chairman Kaga
July 3rd, 2004, 04:49 PM
I've always wanted a Smeargle that knew Explosion, but I could never get one to survive being Explosion-ed :P

Shana
July 4th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I don't use NetBattle, so I wouldn't know. =P I like Smeargle though...he's pretty cool.

Timbjerr
July 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I've always wanted a Smeargle that knew Explosion, but I could never get one to survive being Explosion-ed :P
I think that if you had another of your pokemon killed with explosion, then send out Smeargle, Sketch would copy Explosion, given that Smeargle has a higher speed than the opponent's new pokemon.

Skarmory469
July 5th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I think that Murkrow, Venomoth and Aerodactyl are underrated. If you have the patience, they can be indispoable. But no-one uses them. *sniff*

Frostweaver
July 5th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I think that Murkrow, Venomoth and Aerodactyl are underrated. If you have the patience, they can be indispoable. But no-one uses them. *sniff*

Ahem!? Aerodactyl? That thing dominates netbattle and is on many MANY teams due to its vast movepool and being the 4th fastest in game along with Jolteon and Crobat

Venomoth is not used due to poor stats... you need a heavy amount of luck with sleep powder for Venomoth. It's not even that fast too... However you still see it fair amount of times in Kanto episodes ^^;

Murkrow is just useless beyond belief though... certainly underused but not underrated. It appears once in the anime and that's it... however it dominated TCG though with mean look and feint attack.

Shana
July 5th, 2004, 02:11 PM
An lesser known Pokemon out there is Paris. The only time you see him is in that one earlier Pokemon episode where Team Rocket evolves him into Parasect.

shinyditto
July 31st, 2004, 08:31 PM
Ditto, because everybody knows about him, and yet, knows nothing about him. They just know that he transforms. Thie first extra thing I learned was that he can't hold his form if you tickle him.