PDA

View Full Version : A difficult decision!!!

supermega_boy
October 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
One friend wants to start his game, but he is not very sure which starter pokemon choose

Which pokemon do you recomend?

J-Rad
October 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM
chimchar is the best if one would like to play competetivly

supermega_boy
October 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I think that, too because there are not many fire pokemons

Lie Ren
October 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Chimchar, definately.

I found the fire starter to be pretty handy in the D/P games.
I figure it starts out the strongest too, once its learn its first Fire attack, anyhoo.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
October 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Piplup helps you at the beginning,
Chimchar helps you in the middle,
Turtwig helps you in the end.

... from my experience. but if I had to choose, Chimchar.
the middle is crutial, and hard to get through if you arn't skilled.

airconditioning
October 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
All of them :D

Seriously, if you have Diamond or Pearl, have your friend start the game, trade you a starter, start over, trade you a different starter, then start over once more. That way, he can get all three starters. That's what I did, anyway.

diamondpearl876
October 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'd say Chimchar or Piplup, but that's just me. z_z

Really, any starter is good--it just depends on how you use it.

Rosefrost
October 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Well, all the starters are good, it just depends on how you use them, and what your main strategy is. ^_^

Jubilation
October 26th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I would say Piplup for the Elite Four, As it has a type advantage over Bertha & Flint

Shadowthinker
October 26th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Turtwig evolves into a ground type and it knows strong attcks.

Willock
October 27th, 2007, 04:06 AM
There is only one fire pokemon you can catch in sinnoh before beating the E4 (ponyta) so chimchar helps out with that.
Piplup however is really useful against the gm leaders and E4, so it helps out there.
I went with piplup, but if i had thought it over, chimchar is the best choice.

supermega_boy
October 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM
yeah!!
Maybe chimchar

I don't like piplup because it has weak attacks

.Eevee-Chan
October 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
i would pick Piplup.
It has high defense when you evolve it to Empoleon especially when you EV it.
so go tell your friend tp choose Piplup! lol (i mean it,lol)
it depends on how he wants his team to be actually.

Shadow_fire74
October 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
My choice is chimchar for one reason.

Mixed sweeper Infernape ftw.

nakoma
October 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
id start with piplup. water pokemon dont start off the best but once you train them going through the game is alot easier i find with a water. water pokemon gain alot of abilities that can help against your foes.

Willbey
October 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Chimchar, because it's easy to get thorugh the most of the gyms.
and by the way, I'm back! I haven't been on for a month.

Umi Ryuzaki
October 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM
in my opinion chimchar is the best choice.but the 3 starters are good.

Ichida
October 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Personally I don't think any of the three are good enough for competition. One Ice Beam kills Torterra, Empoleon's stats are all mediocre, and Infernape is a weaker-but-faster Blaziken. Not that Blaziken's good enough either.

Spinor
October 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Piplup 4 sure! The exellent defense gains it resistance agains fire when empoleon, plus if it knows an ice attack, the rival's torterra will be a piece of cake. Trust me, if you start with turtwig then chimchar will easiely beat the pwn out of you, It may get the Ground Type but not Ground attacks! Chimchar is good too but Piplup is in advantage all the time. Empoleon with an ice and water attack is invinsible against the starters.

supermega_boy
October 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Piplup 4 sure! The exellent defense gains it resistance agains fire when empoleon, plus if it knows an ice attack, the rival's torterra will be a piece of cake. Trust me, if you start with turtwig then chimchar will easiely beat the pwn out of you, It may get the Ground Type but not Ground attacks! Chimchar is good too but Piplup is in advantage all the time. Empoleon with an ice and water attack is invinsible against the starters.

WOW that was a good recomendetion

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
November 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
just anything other than that Turtwig evolution, because more teams are starting to have Ice types or any Pokemon that can learn Ice type moves and you know what that means when it comes to battling with one?

:t354:TG

Saito
November 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
I prefer chimcar for it great movepool (to me)

Shadowthinker
November 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
I think you just look at other threads like this one you don't need a another one.

xxFrozenFlower
November 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
xD This isn't that much of a difficult descision :P You always gotta do this when you start Pokemon games xP
I'll just say, let your friend pick whichever looks cooler. :P They're all somewhat useful yet in some ways lame anyways. They're not really for the long run. I started with Piplup and I don't regret it ^o^ However, Chimchar could be a good descision, if your friend has no one to trade them a useful fire type or something. For me, Infernape faints too easily ^^;
Good luck choosing!

Obito.
November 4th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Chimchar. he's the cutest!

Azonic
November 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Well, I like Piplup the best since its a water type.

But battling wise:

Chimchar is made for Sweeping purposes when it evolves to Infernape. It has the Speed and Offensives to pull off threatening moves.

Turtwig is made for tanking. It has good Attack power and good Defensive power so it can last longer in play while still being able to inflict massive amounts of damage. Torterra gains Earthquake and Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer.

I would probably choose Turtwig, my Torterra helped me through most of the gyms when I was still in in-game

supermega_boy
November 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Well, I like Piplup the best since its a water type.

But battling wise:

Chimchar is made for Sweeping purposes when it evolves to Infernape. It has the Speed and Offensives to pull off threatening moves.

Turtwig is made for tanking. It has good Attack power and good Defensive power so it can last longer in play while still being able to inflict massive amounts of damage. Torterra gains Earthquake and Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer.

I would probably choose Turtwig, my Torterra helped me through most of the gyms when I was still in in-game

You have reason! and thanks for the good comentaries!

Silverdragonlaura
November 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
even though Piplup and Chimchar are popular to start with, I think that Turtwig is a good starter, that way you can easily beat the first gymleader and be some what evenly matched with the second. (actually chimchar is good too, but you'd probably have a hard time beating Roark.)

Rainfall
November 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Like everyone else here, I'd suggest Chimchar (but I'm not just saying that because everyone else has O_o) I'd go over why, but everyone else has already told you why.

The Wave
November 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
chimchar, because there is just 1 or 2 other fire pokemon besides chimchar before the league, which you can get late in the game.

Anxiety.
November 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Go with Piplup, when you get to the middle, you can catch other pokemon... other than like, Starly... Anyway, thats why Piplup is so good. And also Empoleon kicks ass.

And, this might get closed down, cause I made one of the 'Which D/P starter is the best?' thread, and that got closed.

Anti
November 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
For ingame, it doesn't matter. Competitively, infernape is the best, though torterra is a nice tank and agilipoleon is like a mini-agiligross with special attacks.

Apathetic_Yen
November 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Chimchar will help in competitve battling and is good to have in the game becuz fire pokemon are hard to come by, unless you really want to use ponyta

Pokekid1995
November 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ive trained all three from lvl five.So id say if you want power and defense go with Turtwig and at Torttera.It learns good attacks.And it has part ground in it at Torterra so it can take fire atackes.If you want speed and powerfull attacks Go with Chimchar.It can learn strong fire moves like Flamethrower and other fire attacks.Once it Evolves in to Monferno its easy to beat rock types since its now part fighting and helps you beat Empoleon.If you go with Piplup youll get alot of attack and deffence.And it can learn Hydro Pump And Ice Beam.Once it Evolves it can learn metal claw at Prinplup at Empoleon it will be part steel so watch out with fire types you have a weakness now but its still good against Fire and rock and you can beat Torttera easy.

I chose Chimchar.

supermega_boy
November 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
To everyone

So ponyta is the only fire pokemon before you beat the elite four?

Pokekid1995
November 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Yes and then you still cant get that many unless you migrate

GamerFreak
November 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
As of now, I own both Pokemon Diamond Version and Pokemon Pearl Version in which I chose Turtwig as my starter for both. You must keep in mind that you want to try acquiring all three eventually in the game if possible.

There are several ways to acquire all three.

- Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (WFC)

- Wireless trading

- Us a cheating device, which I don't suggest

Noisuf Ekop 993
November 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Infernape owns! I go Chimchar.