PDA

View Full Version : What about fangames annoys you most? [Aspiring developers look here!]

Improfane
October 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM
There are some brilliant fangames and some bad ones. The bad points tend to be common to many projects and bring fangaming down in general. This topic aims to consolidate the weaknesses of fangames in general.

Aspiring developers or project owners can use this to find out what they should be working on!

I've thought about some points that will probably be the most common and put them as poll choices. Vote for them if they are what you think. The fewer poll options you vote, the more useful this will be!

Please specify anything not in the poll as a reply.

Dyegov
November 15th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I have voted up for 5 choices.

'Slow or too few regular updates' That I hate! I mean, if you get on the board and start making a game, you should have enough time for and, and dedication.

'Misspellings in game' Another important part of making a game is grammar/orthography. It can be a fan game, but that doesn't mean it can look unprofessional; it's better to aim for the best and make it look professional.

'They never get finished' Well, this is the same as the first one, people need dedication! If you won't finish the game, don't start it.

'Poorly planned projects' I already mentioned making the game look professional. This can't be achieved if you just start mapping and scripting with a poorly planned project. Just take your time and open up a Word document, to start planning the story line/events, the characters and their personalities, etc, everything a good game needs. And finally:

'Fake Pokemon' You have to accept it: Not everyone is good making those. Most of them just look horrible and not well proportionated. Every time I see a game is being made with fake Pokemon, I just turn and never look back to it.

Firemaker
January 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Not all fake pokemon are bad. Pokemon Acanthite had some amazingly real fakemon (even realer than real pokemon) I put down that they become discontinued. Face it: Fake games have a 0.01% chance of being finished. Out of 10,000, one is complete.

nateistoraw
January 13th, 2008, 05:23 AM
most of them is never done.

Shadez
January 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
my biggest
annoyement is
that they never finished
and
abandaning the project without telling
i´ve seen on another forum people were talking like a half year and the they said: yeah we canceled it 3 months ago

and sometimes that promises aren´t made but depends on game and promise

Alistair
January 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Well, in general, I am going to sum it up and say that most fangames show a real lack of effort. I mean, almost everyone uses the same graphics, most demos are boring and useless (Talk to people and visit two towns!), that the topics are filled with utter spam, many people decide to use the same, boring storyline, that nothing has really been planned, that there are no new features or systems, that updates are made, but don't show much of anything, and that many people put poor-looking Fakemon in there games (Acanthite excluded).

lostprophetsown
January 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Well, in general, I am going to sum it up and say that most fangames show a real lack of effort. I mean, almost everyone uses the same graphics, most demos are boring and useless (Talk to people and visit two towns!), that the topics are filled with utter spam, many people decide to use the same, boring storyline, that nothing has really been planned, that there are no new features or systems, that updates are made, but don't show much of anything, and that many people put poor-looking Fakemon in there games (Acanthite excluded).
pretty much what i think about these sort of games they are just the same to often and they are barely even updated to many promises they just get a bit old now...

wcdaily
February 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Well two towns that sounds bad ,when i make a game demo you vist 4 towns and ill make up a story first.

Wichu
February 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Whoo! 100th post!
Well, I figured this could go here: it really annoys me when people post recruitment threads when they haven't done much work yet.
Especially when their list of needed staff goes like this:
Spriter
Mapper
Scripter
Musician
Eventer
Designer
What is the thread creator doing? They're just getting other people to make the game for them. Thinking of names/a region map/characters does not help much - in my opinion, it just limits the actual staff. If I was working for a project like that, I'd just kick the 'leader' out.
For example, for my project, I alone am scripting, mapping, spriting and designing. A team leader must be prepared to work on the game as well.
I encourage anyone helping one of those so-called 'projects' to abandon it for a more organised project with a useful leader until the 'leader' of the 'project' actually does something to help.
[/rant]

Wyvern
February 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
it really annoys me when people post recruitment threads when they haven't done much work yet.
Especially when their list of needed staff goes like this:
Spriter
Mapper
Scripter
Musician
Eventer
Designer
What is the thread creator doing? They're just getting other people to make the game for them. Thinking of names/a region map/characters does not help much - in my opinion, it just limits the actual staff. If I was working for a project like that, I'd just kick the 'leader' out.
For example, for my project, I alone am scripting, mapping, spriting and designing. A team leader must be prepared to work on the game as well.
I encourage anyone helping one of those so-called 'projects' to abandon it for a more organised project with a useful leader until the 'leader' of the 'project' actually does something to help.
[/rant]

Although I am only mapping,eventing,thinking of plot/names and choose/make the music, Wichu's note is way important. Oh, yeah, do not forget the promises that are never made... *Ahem*
And about mispellings... JUST... be careful?

Lordpenguin
February 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I have pretty much the same grouches as most of the above posters, but there is one more I have that isn't listed; I get quite bored by the fact that virtually all fangames are made in Rpg Maker or one flavour or another, and most using one of the prebuilt Starter Kits. I'm currently designing a fangame written in Java; I'd love to see other projects written in other languages. I think that always using the same system limits how different games can be, and it allows people to start making a game without even thinking about or planning what they intend to do. I've noticed that all the best projects are run by people who have an actual grasp of systems development...

Mooshykris
February 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
You know guys...this kind of thing, is exactly why I ultimately gave up with Pokemon GS...

Everything put down so far is of course, something you could in one form or another, put down on my work.

Mooshykris

Ssyn
February 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
The names.
It annoys me when there's a game called "Pokemon Muddy Earthquake" or something of the sort. Or When the creator of the game names the professor something like "Professor Dude"
When it should be some form of tree (Oak, Birch, etc.)
Whereas the game titles should fit into colors, gems, descriptions of naturally occuring objects, or jewlery (Diamond and Pearl)

GKS
February 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
What is annoying is that the creators of the games never finish the game or has a good enough difference in the game to make it interesting. This goes for hacks especially since i seen more games with these bad qualities there than in the game development. Bad grammar just makes the whole thing seem incomplete.

Trace
May 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Here's what makes me mad:

- Bad mapping
- Not showing a lot of screen shots. Most are generally good on this.
- The same lame storylines.
- Mis-spelling.

Hall Of Famer
July 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Well, it's comprehensible that people hate to see the game maker leave his/her project unfinished and quit. However, we ought to understand that there must be some reasons for them to give up the project. Some game makers are disappointed with the fact of their game projects remain unpopular after months or they can't get any helpers to work together on their project.

For me, I'm still working on the project Pokemon HOF but I once had thoughts to quit when my help request threads didn't work at all(thanks to Inmoosewetrust, the project is still alive~). Some people complain about the graphic and sprite issue of our fan games but how can we manage to solve those problems if we get no spriters or something? I wish people can be patient and try to understand we game makers. Stop complaining/hating so the Pokecommunity could be a better place for we video game fans.

blueguy
August 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I hate when people come on here and say that they're creating, like, 500 new Pokémon, and that they will feature seven of their own regions, plus all of the past regions, and a bunch of other b/s. They're illiterate and so untalented that they can't even properly recolor a sprite. And then they ask if people will "help" them.

Hardy Har Har
September 19th, 2008, 04:28 AM
What I don't like is:
Misspellings in game - many can't overcome that(Examples of this problem are: a youngster telling the player that he "catched a Rattata" instead of "caught a Rattata", and typing Johto as "Jhoto" or "Jotho".) This mistake happens to someone who types or writes faster, and it really bugs me.
Fake Pokemon - When it comes to that, only Amethyst and Acanthite have excellent-looking ones for me.
No screenshots - How can we know what are the events without screenshots?

Ravecat
September 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM
The names.
It annoys me when there's a game called "Pokemon Muddy Earthquake" or something of the sort. Or When the creator of the game names the professor something like "Professor Dude"
When it should be some form of tree (Oak, Birch, etc.)
Whereas the game titles should fit into colors, gems, descriptions of naturally occuring objects, or jewlery (Diamond and Pearl)
I find this very... annoying.

The point of a fan-game is that it's just that.. a fan-game.

If they wanted an official game they'd go play one.

People can name their games and professors whatever they want, jesus.

partyghoul2000
September 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I find this very... annoying.

The point of a fan-game is that it's just that.. a fan-game.

If they wanted an official game they'd go play one.

People can name their games and professors whatever they want, jesus.

ain't that the truth? >_>
picky, picky players...

Grifstar
September 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Fake Pokemon - Even though there's a couple of good ideas, and I used to make HUNDREDS of fake ones myself many many years back. I just... prefer the ones that actually exist. Honestly, there's nothing about your fake pokemon that makes it any different from the nearly 500 that's in it already. And most fake legendaries also just remind me of Sue characters. You like it, and you force it upon others and try to make it look "spesal"... But you don't really need it.

..... Which seems like an hypocritical thing when my game currently... has one fake. But it plays a very unusual role than.. well.. actually any other pokemon I've seen >.>;

Making the main hero talk - This has been something that's bothered me with every fake game(that does this). I prefer it if the main character just stays... silent. Because I don't know what it is but most seem to make the main character 1) a total jerk, 2) the typical spunky/headstrong/possibly sarcastic hero you see in 39672097.7 different games or shows, or 3) a goody-goody two shoes. And the worse part is, you're now stuck with that personality as you play... Where as in other Pokemon games, the person you play as is technically supposed to be a reflection of "you", to some extent. Even though you are still forced down a particular path.

I don't mind it in other RPGs.. of course. And there is ways to make the main character seem like it still has a soul, without it having a voice. It's been done many times before in games, and it's not hard to do.

Lack of Originality - I guess it's different if your purposely making a remake but... every fan made game looks exactly the same to me. I can't really stand it sometimes. Any game you see someone making its:

"You start off in the _____ region, on your 10th birthday Professor _____(insert name of a tree) allows you to choose one of 3 Pokemon: ______, ______, or ______ (insert the starters from either either generation), and are given your own trainer ID/license... as well as a Pokedex because Prof _____ needs you to gather data of every Pokemon you can find(because you know, their special Aides are too busy handing out items or whatever, and it's not like they asked hundreds of other kids do it too by now). And so you start off totally-not cliche quest to battle all 8+ gyms be the Pokemon Master! ... As if it hasn't been done before the last 80 times.

But along your way, you run into the evil organization, Team _____ (insert some sinister sounding word). They plan to capture the rare and powerful Pokemon ______ (insert the legendary the game is probably mascoted by) and use it to destroy/take over the world... Or, in story writer goes with Option B: Evil team has already caught/made an evil clone of said Pokemon and are using it right now. It is now up to YOU to stop them before it's too late.

And well... blah blah blah *put more things here, MAYBE one or two little things that could make the game a liiiiittle different from everyone else's*"

.... Well, alright. I have seen maybe a few ones that don't look too bad but... come on people, break out of the cardboard box. Most of the games I keep seeing are just "Travel to Kanto! Johto! Hoenn!" and like 5 other regions, rather than people actually trying to... well, add more quality to their work.

If you're making a Pokemon solely to unite all versions together, good for you(because I really do want a game like that someday). But if you want to make a brand new game... Please think of some brand new ideas first. Even if it's something that's never been IN a Pokemon Game before. Be a rebel >.>;;

Woah, this reply turned out extremely... negative o.o;

CyberCleanZeen
September 27th, 2008, 06:16 AM
cruddy grammar, cruddy sprites, cruddy fakemon, cruddy storylines, cruddy human sprites too and incompletion of course.

Budgie_boy
September 29th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Making the main hero talk - This has been something that's bothered me with every fake game(that does this). I prefer it if the main character just stays... silent. Because I don't know what it is but most seem to make the main character 1) a total jerk, 2) the typical spunky/headstrong/possibly sarcastic hero you see in 39672097.7 different games or shows, or 3) a goody-goody two shoes. And the worse part is, you're now stuck with that personality as you play... Where as in other Pokemon games, the person you play as is technically supposed to be a reflection of "you", to some extent. Even though you are still forced down a particular path.

I don't mind it in other RPGs.. of course. And there is ways to make the main character seem like it still has a soul, without it having a voice. It's been done many times before in games, and it's not hard to do.

Lack of Originality - I guess it's different if your purposely making a remake but... every fan made game looks exactly the same to me. I can't really stand it sometimes. Any game you see someone making its:

"You start off in the _____ region, on your 10th birthday Professor _____(insert name of a tree) allows you to choose one of 3 Pokemon: ______, ______, or ______ (insert the starters from either either generation), and are given your own trainer ID/license... as well as a Pokedex because Prof _____ needs you to gather data of every Pokemon you can find(because you know, their special Aides are too busy handing out items or whatever, and it's not like they asked hundreds of other kids do it too by now). And so you start off totally-not cliche quest to battle all 8+ gyms be the Pokemon Master! ... As if it hasn't been done before the last 80 times.

But along your way, you run into the evil organization, Team _____ (insert some sinister sounding word). They plan to capture the rare and powerful Pokemon ______ (insert the legendary the game is probably mascoted by) and use it to destroy/take over the world... Or, in story writer goes with Option B: Evil team has already caught/made an evil clone of said Pokemon and are using it right now. It is now up to YOU to stop them before it's too late.

And well... blah blah blah *put more things here, MAYBE one or two little things that could make the game a liiiiittle different from everyone else's*"

.... Well, alright. I have seen maybe a few ones that don't look too bad but... come on people, break out of the cardboard box. Most of the games I keep seeing are just "Travel to Kanto! Johto! Hoenn!" and like 5 other regions, rather than people actually trying to... well, add more quality to their work.

If you're making a Pokemon solely to unite all versions together, good for you(because I really do want a game like that someday). But if you want to make a brand new game... Please think of some brand new ideas first. Even if it's something that's never been IN a Pokemon Game before. Be a rebel >.>;;

Woah, this reply turned out extremely... negative o.o;

I totally aunderstannd how you feel but I mean, Pokemon games have copied the same storylines as well, I mean if you look at the storyline in D/P, - it's exactly the same as R/B/G/Y, it's nintendo you should be telling about it.

With the storylines though, to me they work well - It's a sturdy and very consistent story no matter which game you play and the fan games (In my opinion) should reflect Nintendo's work and maybe even make it better but I don't think it bad for games to be original like save whoever from darkness realm or whatever.

About the Player speaking, it's true as well - when you give someone a voice it gives them a linear attitude along the whole game. That's why I especially like games that allow the player to have choices and whatever choices you make lets the NPC's interact in different ways to the main character.

So guys who ar making games (sorry about the typos), it's YOUR game, YOU are the fan so you do what you want with it, just as long as you finish the game...

Game Master
October 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I hate that when you post an idea, no one answers. It took me 2 jrs to write that idea!

Xaviar
October 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I honestly don't mind if people use starter kits to make their game, but since virtually everything is pre-programmed, how hard is it to insert a little grammar? It's not like they have to worry about custom graphics or scripting...

Shikamaru88
October 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I honestly don't mind if people use starter kits to make their game, but since virtually everything is pre-programmed, how hard is it to insert a little grammar? It's not like they have to worry about custom graphics or scripting...

not true plenty of people try to make their own characters and scripts some arent skilled at it when others are... and since pokemon's story is so well balanced its hare to compete with altough people wanna make their own game with out going to far away from the real games its hard to do

Wichu
October 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
On the topic of starter kits, there's something that's been bugging me recently.
There's a lot of games out there that don't use it fully. They don't edit the scripts or add custom content; they just use what is there and make maps etc. This is extremely annoying, because you end up with really similar games. Most of the new games are like this, too.
I think there should be a rule that anyone using the starter kit must show evidence of creativity, such as custom scripts or Pokémon. Otherwise, they're probably better off ROM hacking...

BakingBluePotatoe
October 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM
On the topic of starter kits, there's something that's been bugging me recently.
There's a lot of games out there that don't use it fully. They don't edit the scripts or add custom content; they just use what is there and make maps etc. This is extremely annoying, because you end up with really similar games. Most of the new games are like this, too.
I think there should be a rule that anyone using the starter kit must show evidence of creativity, such as custom scripts or Pokémon. Otherwise, they're probably better off ROM hacking...

I agree with Wichu. I believe you should get familiar with the program for a while THEN use the starter kit... and try to build from it.
I can see that you may want to use the kits since they have all the major stuff built in, but try to add something for crying out loud.

And while posting about the game, it's good to only make promises about "ZOMGNEWFEATURES!!!" and stuff when you know you can keep it. (Or have slightly been working on it...)

I have been a ROM Hacker for a while (but I quit), but I just feel to "limited", since I can only go as far as the engine can... but when you're familiar with the program, you can go beyond the official Pokemon Games.

Shun
October 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I would have to say i vote all of the reason why... People make a game and never finish or update, the updates are point less and the videos show stuff that has already been senn and the storyline is the same, fakemon are really bad apart from peple that can make a perfect sprite

Poeman
November 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
A lot ticks me off, but what really gets me is having guns in a pokemon game!

jasonresno
November 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I will never EVER play a fangame that is littered with poor grammar and bad spelling. It takes you out of the story and makes you realize you are playing a fangame.

I also HATE how NONE of these games EVER get finished.

NytewolfAU2k7
November 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Lack of original story, updates & completion are big ones for me.

I know I've broken the last two in my own game, hehe. Might even be able to find it here somewhere.

dragpyre
November 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Well, i voted for these:

Fangames look the same
Promises aren't kept
Unfinished
no originality
Fake Pokemon
Boring/Overused Stories
Poorly Planned Projects
And i am quite happy to say i have not done any of these in my game; Devil May Cry: Platform Battle, mainly because its quite new. :D

Low Lines
November 24th, 2008, 06:26 AM
What I hate is when people make custom sprites or try to combine multiple sprites from different games (ie mystery dungeon w/ pokemon gba) that just don't go together. To me it's like wearing two different socks with a really bad color match.

Also me being a perfectionist, I absolutely hate seeing errors or bugs which should be easy to remove from the final product.

Consistency I think is the most important part of making something, particularly if its based on something that already exists (such as Pokemon).

I don't overally get bothered with something never being released because I'm just not that into games anymore, but I really like to admire/appricaite the work that others do and learn how they did it. You get more out of a game that way than just playing it.

axelion80
December 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I never like fake pokemon(fakemon)
even the fakemon looked good...
I don't like it... dunno why...
(when I saw a fakemon i thought that fakemon doesnt looks good to me)

sorry for my bad english
I can't speak English very well 'coz I'm Indonesian
very2 sorry for that.

wandererwillow
December 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'm working on a project of my own, and am keeping to my own standards of "what makes a good/bad game". I won't release any info until I'm decently far into the game creation, but expect to see my project hit this board in the next month or so (I'm already working on it daily).

Also, I stand behind Fake Pokemon, as that means you're doing something new. Still, they need to be done right. I do have a few legendary/special ones, but they're decently "legendary" and its not a forced feeling of it either. I plan on making the entire game out of Fake Pokemon (Fakemon) to get away from the norm of games that use the same Pokemon all the time. Is there a chance they'll be like SOMETHING already created? Maybe, but I still do enough to make them their own creation and not just a direct copy.

Still, the things I just can't stand:

-Massive Staff Groups: I'm 23, I have a job, and yet I have enough time and ability to create the game almost all on my lonesome. I'm getting sprites/pictures from different artists and I'm going to work from there. The scripting, mapping, and everything else is coming from me and me alone. You don't need a staff of 15 people to make a game like this.

-Horrid grammar: Capitalization, proper punctuation, spelling...If I play a game that fails to do these things, it's shut down and deleted right away.

-Idiotic jokes, using "LOL" or smileys in text, etc etc: This one is the worst. I see it all the time and it's just enough to make me want to punch the developer in the face over and over until they learn not to do this again. I played a game that started with Oak calling Gary "my ****head grandson" followed by "lol ^.^". As well, the dialog in the game was nothing but stuff like fart jokes, bad spelling, and sad attempts to try to make something funny out of something that's not funny.

-Unoriginality: I love how I've got the start of my game. There's no "professor"...there's no "10 year old birthday"...if your game starts the same as every other game, that isn't a bad thing, but its not a good thing either. If you're doing a project that involves making something creatively different, use some creativity. I'm not going to give out the intro to mine yet (partially for reasons that I like it so much, I don't want someone else to try nabbing it...god knows it happens) but again...no professor, no birthday.

Ninja Tree
December 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM
This list is pretty much every game here.

Unoriginal. Even games with fakemon are really unoriginal.
Same style. Nearly every Pokemon game is created as an RPG.
RMXP. I'm really seeing people not branching out too much. Even using Ruby to be a little different would be fine.
Lack of planning. People didn't really create an outline before creating the game so they make up stuff as they go along. This can make it longer and can explain why no game has been finished.
Boring

Virtual Chatot
December 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
They are very rarely finished :(

dialga2103
December 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
people work on fangames forever, but when they finnish, they still dont let us play.....
also they could give us demmos to play when they get so far...

Mr_Dark
January 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
The only real turn-off is when they have fake pokemon, it isn't the same then :(

Rabbit
January 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
The first thing I read about a fangame is the blurb about the plot. 90% of the time, the blurb either has spelling error or is an overused cliche from top to bottom. Prophecies? Objects of power falling into the hands of evil organizations? Legendary Pokemon trying to save the world with the hero's help? I get a headache just thinking about it.

But what I really don't like is how few fangames get finished. I've been able to download, oh, maybe two. Yet there are dozens here on Pokecommunity. People are just so optimistic. Everyone likes making plots, designing maps, respriting things that don't need respriting. Yet everyone needs more scripters. Anyone see a problem with this? I don't know how any of the games in 'production' will ever get finished unless everyone involved joins forces on one game. Nintendo has dozens of people working on each Pokemon game. Most fangames have, oh, five, maximum, and they're all volunteers helping in their spare time.

Roconza
January 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
[/i] The first thing I read about a fangame is the blurb about the plot. 90% of the time, the blurb either has spelling error or is an overused cliche from top to bottom. Prophecies? Objects of power falling into the hands of evil organizations? Legendary Pokemon trying to save the world with the hero's help? I get a headache just thinking about it.

But what I really don't like is how few fangames get finished. I've been able to download, oh, maybe two. Yet there are dozens here on Pokecommunity. People are just so optimistic. Everyone likes making plots, designing maps, respriting things that don't need respriting. Yet everyone needs more scripters. Anyone see a problem with this? I don't know how any of the games in 'production' will ever get finished unless everyone involved joins forces on one game. Nintendo has dozens of people working on each Pokemon game. Most fangames have, oh, five, maximum, and they're all volunteers helping in their spare time.
I do agree but that's the problem with all fan made games. you can't really compere because we lack what they have. Nintendo pays there team big money to make games. Like you said they're all volunteers helping in their spare time. also you really think people would give up there leadership? Pokemon ekaiyo is the only fan game I've seen doing real work and here making a 3D mmo that look darn good.

Also I work for petsites which is no different from fan games and they the similar problems. They have lots of staff but no standards so you have skilled staff with less skill staff. You have half good work and half hardly decent work. That's why I quit my last fan pokemon game because it's kinda annoying when you have good stuff and have to post it next to sub par work. I mean it's not the artist fault for this. It is the game maker for takes help were ever he can. I know this can be really off putting when playing a game to. You don't mix yellow sprites with DP style sprite so why do it when it comes to custom sprites?

Hall Of Famer
January 8th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Well I'm not talking about fan game in here, it's about some game developers. What annoys me most is that someone requests a lot of resources from a certain fan game without giving any offers in return. They think they deserve anything without sharing their own things, which is more than disgusting. Even if you really don't have anything good to share, it makes us feel better if you at least show us that you're willing to. In a word, don't regard yourself as an emperor in mid-century. Wanna have something in your game? Fine, but please show us what you can do in return.

~Frozen Darkness~
January 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I'm fine with fan games, but when I see these things, it makes me want to puke:

1. No name/Bad Name It's not hard to think of names! But I think that people should use other names besides Colours and gems.

2. I hate to see this:

Anonymous Person - Creator, Beta Tester/Idea Maker/Storyline developer

That makes me sick. This means that the creator is LAZY and doesn't want to do any work. I HATE this. For those that do this, good luck getting volunteers.

3. Over usage of Starter Kit: It's okay to get a little of a jump start from the starter kit, but if you just make maps and do nothing else, the game is gonna be crap. For those that are doing this, get some creativity and make the game FUN.

4. No one knows how to script:

With the exception of Wichu, poccil, etc. I don't see anyone else who scripts. I mean, I don't script right now, but I'm learning to script.

*Minun*
January 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I like games with Fake pokemon the most! If they don't have them I generally don't play the game.

SeaSquirt
January 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
I haven't been on this forum long, so I can just talk about the Pokemon fan games I've seen everywhere, not specifically the ones that get posted here.

The two things that annoy me the most are when games are announced with great fanfare in the "really, really alpha, 0.01" stage and never get close to being finished, and when the developers don't share their code even though they're building it off of things other people let them use for free. In my opinion, developers should wait until they're past the very beginning stage of programming before they advertise the game to everyone, and should share their work with others, except for original art that makes the game unique.

I'm OK with fake Pokemon as long as they're mixed in with the originals. I wouldn't be as interested in a game with only fakes.

Darkholme
February 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well, Here are my thoughts on the issue.

If you aren't going to finish the game, or you dont really have a 'game' other than just copying the exact same crap, you shouldnt really bother.

Original Pokemon are fine, assuming theyre well implemented, and not replacing any of the originals.

short version
> Finish the damned thing.
> Don't try to just get everyone else to make a game *for* you. You're not paying them for it so it doesn't work that way.
> Spellchecker if you can't spell.
> Get some decent graphics.
> Original plot.
> Original game design.
> New features/concepts.
> Well planned and executed project.

Go look up project management. Read a few documents. Plan the project in advance. Divy up the work. Figure out what needs to be done. Have A Plan.

If you don't have a plan, you better be damn good.

If I see a project with work breakdown sheets, gantt charts, and uml diagrams, I'd go with that one, cause they apparently know what they're doing. (It is kindof overkill in a fan game, but its a hyperbole)

If you're not going to make the game original, or at leat good. go make a rom hack.

Thats not saying rom hacks are bad.

If someone made a decent Gold/Silver remake (that was finished) for GBA or DS, I would pay 40$ for a hard copy, as would I imagine, many other people.

@World
March 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Here is a good advice for critism: try for yourself. If you think it's easy try it, but there are hrrible games (oh when I remember reading Rquaza in a game: a wild Rquaza apeared).

Awan
March 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
What annoy me most is when there is NO screenshot -_- what's the point of just telling ppl the story and doesnt have any screenshot(not neccesaryly be in-game screenshot) to make ppl support their games.

DrCoolSanta
March 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have to say that many people have the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" syndrome, you can't stop them if they want to try it out. Not that I support them but it is a point to consider.

Otherwise thinking, how much appreciation is there for a fangame, that also made in some free mediocre RPG engine. Can you even make money from your creativity. Do you think you could show this work to someone in the game industry and then not be ridiculed? It's a fangame, yes it is, but of it, how much have you actually done? You already get the engine, and then above that you get the starter kids, and you rip off all the graphics, the sounds, and everything. Nobody here goes into the details of game making. I ask some graphic artist for a tileset, they hand me over the FR/LG tileset! Why doesn't somebody actually create the art, PC is one place with so many artists who would love to help you out. Sound, I can still say that ripped ones are ok, but you've got a better platform, you needn't use the midis so why. Why not something i'd love to hear? Thats what I hate about fangames. They don't create games, they just put it all together in a different manner.

It is too easy for you, and so n00bs end up getting a platform to show their n00bieness. And then ofcourse n00bs have nothing better to do than to just leave a project after a week.

Stop ranting about it, n00bs can't do anything better, and neither can you people consider yourself superior to them, since its not a prestige if you can make a game in RPG Maker.

Hall Of Famer
March 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have to say that many people have the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" syndrome, you can't stop them if they want to try it out. Not that I support them but it is a point to consider.

Otherwise thinking, how much appreciation is there for a fangame, that also made in some free mediocre RPG engine. Can you even make money from your creativity. Do you think you could show this work to someone in the game industry and then not be ridiculed? It's a fangame, yes it is, but of it, how much have you actually done? You already get the engine, and then above that you get the starter kids, and you rip off all the graphics, the sounds, and everything. Nobody here goes into the details of game making. I ask some graphic artist for a tileset, they hand me over the FR/LG tileset! Why doesn't somebody actually create the art, PC is one place with so many artists who would love to help you out. Sound, I can still say that ripped ones are ok, but you've got a better platform, you needn't use the midis so why. Why not something i'd love to hear? Thats what I hate about fangames. They don't create games, they just put it all together in a different manner.

It is too easy for you, and so n00bs end up getting a platform to show their n00bieness. And then ofcourse n00bs have nothing better to do than to just leave a project after a week.

Stop ranting about it, n00bs can't do anything better, and neither can you people consider yourself superior to them, since its not a prestige if you can make a game in RPG Maker.

I have to agree with most of your words. I requested a few(yes, just a few...) tropical climate tiles in rmxp.org before and someone directed me to pokemon essentials. Come on, it could be a lot better if they didn't even make such a reply to my help thread at all!

But honestly, will you be making a fan game if you're good at everything(mapping, spriting, storyline/graphic designing, scripting and more)? Nope, you will start a business and participate in game industry instead, or even better, to create a language like C++, Java and Ruby. The reason why people make fan games is that they're not professional, and they simply enjoy the process of programing or else. They have other things to deal with in real life, and fan game is not a way for them to kill their spare time. Sure the quality of those fan games can be improved considerably if everyone gets paid for their work(yeah, motivation matters). However, can we still call them fan games? Are they still fan games? I wonder.

Alucus_Of_Borg
March 29th, 2009, 04:20 AM
id have to say that the lack of new content gets on my nerves all of these fan games are essentialy just like hacks they look and play pretty much the same as the actual games

such as me im making (as far as i know) the first or one of the first flash based pokemon games ever made iv created a new battle system and more realistic game play and areas kyledove has created unique graphics unique gameplay and characteristics the captain has created the largest and most realistic maps that i have ever sceen and based them on the anime
other than these i see very few fan games that really catch my eye and stand out there are others but i cant remember them :D

DrCoolSanta
March 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I have to agree with most of your words. I requested a few(yes, just a few...) tropical climate tiles in rmxp.org before and someone directed me to pokemon essentials. Come on, it could be a lot better if they didn't even make such a reply to my help thread at all!

But honestly, will you be making a fan game if you're good at everything(mapping, spriting, storyline/graphic designing, scripting and more)? Nope, you will start a business and participate in game industry instead, or even better, to create a language like C++, Java and Ruby. The reason why people make fan games is that they're not professional, and they simply enjoy the process of programing or else. They have other things to deal with in real life, and fan game is not a way for them to kill their spare time. Sure the quality of those fan games can be improved considerably if everyone gets paid for their work(yeah, motivation matters). However, can we still call them fan games? Are they still fan games? I wonder.
Again, I can relate to you and so can I find reason for your argument. But if you already can program in Ruby since RMXP is almost Ruby, why not actually go on? I have seen a lot of the people here recommending newbies to learn c++ and then come back to game making. I can say that making a simple game engine is not going to be difficult in c++. Even so, many industrial games use a commercial engine, I don't mind if you do it as well. But I will appreciate more if there is less of ripped graphics and more of new artwork. If each game has different art here, then it will be called good to its full meaning. I know I can make a fangame in c++ and not call it a waste of time or talent. I've seen PC versions of Gold and fangames of Mario on Gamedev. If you already don't know, gamedev is one place where all the professional game makers unite. Personally, I would love to do so, I have started projects before, and I have myself worked on them only for periods of months with gaps in between. I could say that I had a reason, I always lacked some sort of knowledge that I needed to move on. I can call myself an expert again, but not until I actually create one game, I probably will and show it here to actually show what I always thought each game lacked here.
Ofcourse, you can't sell off a fangame due to copyright reasons, but my point there was that it isn't even otherwise worthy enough to be sold XP.

I would say that a normal person can't do everything of that sort and still stay in his sense, one can't program, draw, create sound effects, write. Thats why I urge people to actually take help from others to make their games superior. Thats why I say that there is no use for having such a large community to show off your talent but not make use of it. Games have a long list of credits, why so? Of course because so many people work towards on. Everytime a new generation comes everybody here changes to those tilesets. Everytime soeody creates a new tile set, everybody here uses them. Why be copycats? It's not something impossible I talk about, it would be my faliure if I create a game and not show mine or somebody elses creativity.

Another thing I hate is the typical Pokemon game story, believe me even the official pokemon games don't seem nice with their typical repititive unoriginal story. Fangames are something the fans wanted to see in those game but they couldn't, its a showcase of your thoughts and not somebody elses. Basically I would rather play Red and Blue than to play a fangame with similar storyline.

PokemonOI
March 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Whats annoys me most about fangames is when they rush a demo. Then next thing you know everyone is messaging the creator telling them like a million errors lol.

Ozzlander
April 10th, 2009, 02:28 AM
The most annoying thing are game that are never finished, i have 2 games im working on and i plan on finishing both tho i could use some help, but seriously finishing a game isnt all that hard ive done games solo before its just time consuming that way

Heart's Soul
May 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I just voted for over 10 things. They are things that I hate, mainly spelling errors.

thelaytonmobile
May 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Spelling errors annoy me too. I see many games, that in the screens or videos (I haven't actually downloaded any yet, lol) that have spelling mistakes. Surely it can't be too much effort to check your spelling. And you'd think they'd choose places with good spelling to screenshot.

Something I forgot to put in the poll is the Fakemon. Often they just look like blobs, and are poorly designed. Not that I'd be much better, but it's a real turn off.

Both of these things are little things, but they annoy me a lot. It just shows that the details matter. I know people are eager to publicise their game and get help, but surely they could wait till the game is a little bit finished before making a thread?

Oh, that was a little longer than I intended it to be... oops:D.

<~F.M.P~>
May 24th, 2009, 12:12 AM
In all honesty the only 2 things I don't like is when the games creator(who's supposed to be team leader may I remind you) looks for every position known to a game developer(and then some) and does nothing else more than think of names, and the story. In my opinion at least learn how to sprite yourself and learn just a bit of scripting if possible...It really helps in the long run.

I'm also not a big fan of discontinued games, alot of great games with strong potential have gone down the drain for one reason or another.

SytheXP
May 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Things that bug me most are promises not kept, to few updates and they don't get finished. And I agree with what Wichu said on the first page about people wanting a team to make a game for them. Im currently soloing a project have 3 total towns done 2 routes a cave 1 working gym and a fighting dojo remake. Also misspelling shouldnt even be in a demo. There are playtest buttons for a reason and you can test your stuff before you let others play it. The point of a demo IMO is to get someone interested in the game not to be like oh we have this and this but you can't do that in the demo get the full release and wait a while.

thepsynergist
July 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
For me, its probably the lack of mp3's for music, the fact that a game never gets finished, and the severe lack of eventing knowledge. I can't tell you how many times I got stuck behind a wall, because someone didn't space the movement properly. It also seems boring when someone doesn't have a storyline in a game, not just the "I want to be the best, get badges and get all the Pokemanz!". I have a deep respect for a programmer that at least attempts a storyline. It made me sad about Pokemon Acanthite discontinuing. There's my rant...

Freak A
August 8th, 2009, 03:53 AM
yeah i agree with the story line thing they have the same old evil organization and pokemon professor wants you to catch pokemon for you

Q-Bone
August 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Misspellings really get to me. In some games (and ROM Hacks in this case) you can't even understand and/or read the text. It seriously annoys me.

DonRoyale
August 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Incorrect spelling/grammar annoys me.

It annoys me more when the game gives an easy button to the fire starter. It especially annoys me when, at an early stage of the game, you have access to Pokemon such as Riolu, Togepi, Eevee, or other rare/event Pokemon that you usually get only one of in the first place.

It gets worse when the story is based entirely around those sorts of Pokemon. Noobish, overrated as fack Pokemon getting the spotlight. It's annoying when the games sellout because they cater directly to fanboys instead of people looking for original content.

Bad fakemon can suck, too. :|

morrison
August 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I think a good game needs good grammar as well as good spelling. Furthermore I think that seeing screenshots is really vital for the appreciation of a game. At last , a project that has bad planning will take a lot longer and is probably not meant to be finished at all.

Dandaman955
August 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
my problem is fakemon, because after that they will spread rumours that a certain fakemon is in red / blue.

trinity_pt
August 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I think the worse thing is like 2 months without an update <.<

deanhanson
October 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM
i always enjoy playing an h game once in a while as much as they annoy me.. with their unrealistic scenarios what do you mean by fangamesI was inspired to make this, because mostly every other Zelda fangame is either ... I don't want to discourage you at all because, like you even said, most GM ... because it annoys me alot for some reason,.......

mercurysky
October 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Are fake pokémon a bad thing? Oh God. °-°
Anyway, I hate mispellings, 'cause I'm not english and it is normally difficult to play english games. With mispellings it becomes impossible!

Neo-Dragon
October 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I got a report saying this thread should of been locked 2 months ago, period....
Can I just declare publicly...
It's a sticky thread you moron!
The reaosn why it is sticky is so people have a place where they can voice their opinion on this issue, without fear of "bumping" a thread. It is an important question that members should read since you gain great feedback, and unless your posting a demo of your game, that is why you advertise it- so you can get a fan base and feedback before the demo comes out.

Please feel free to report offensive posts or regular threads and I'll deal with it, and before you hit that button, use common sense please.
Thanks.

Peeky Chew
October 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I got a report saying this thread should of been locked 2 months ago, period....
Can I just declare publicly...
It's a sticky thread you moron!
The reaosn why it is sticky is so people have a place where they can voice their opinion on this issue, without fear of "bumping" a thread. It is an important question that members should read since you gain great feedback, and unless your posting a demo of your game, that is why you advertise it- so you can get a fan base and feedback before the demo comes out.

Please feel free to report offensive posts or regular threads and I'll deal with it, and before you hit that button, use common sense please.
Thanks.What does any of that have to do with anything on here..?

Dr. Octogonapus
December 5th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Well, I believe that it's to remind those who are report monsters that if it's a stickied thread, that the revival rule is invalid.. That's just me though.

Anyways, back on topic; I can't stand it when it comes from an anime perspective. Where as there is always ONE character that tags along with your team for an unexpected amount of time after JUST meeting the said protagonist. Now, I don't keep track of the anime anymore, due to the annoying voice known as Ash, but if I recall; didn't Misty, Brock, Tracy, May, Max, AND Dawn join this little kid they had just met? Misty.. Well, I understand her point of view. Be that as it may, the lack of features and/or programmed 'lies.' I don't want to waste my time sitting for a game that was said to have brilliant features and turns out it was all for naught.

Next comes grammar. I simple CANNOT stand it when people simple spam ellipses otherwise known as the "..." after every damn word. If they aren't keen to people interaction, then lock them on some island somewhere and give them provocation to talk like Shatner. Along with the grammar topic, I can understand a few typos and whatnot, but complete sentences full of fragments, run-on phrases, and sheer destruction of the human language will more than likely send me into a fatal seizure. Now, before I end my rant, let me end it with this; 13375P34K.

If I see anything remotely similar to chat/leetspeak in ANY fangame, no matter how good it may be, I will not play it. I'm not going to complain or whine here, but if you have the attention span along with capabilites to create your own game, you have the capabilites to type out your words. How hard is it to type 'one' instead of '1'? While I realize, it's easier to do that, it makes you look more unprofessional than you think..

Well, that's about it honestly; anyways, if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to rant post here!

Niprop
December 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
*Niprop pops out of the ground wearing a hard helmet*

Okay, lets keep things short and simple here.

1.) Yes, I suppose this is the Pockét Monster Communication Forum (Or at least that's what I think the full name is) for "everyone", but lets get something straight here. When making splices and hacks, there's no excuse. Bad grammar and spelling errors are what break a game. Want an example of the stuff I'm talkin' about?

"hey <Insert Character Name here> prof <insert vulgar, mispelled swear word here> wants you m aby its to get a newpokrmon"

"oh its you.hi my name is <Insert Rival name here> an wth ur gettin ga pokemon to?"

"oh so your then ew traenr everyones talking about.here tkae 1 of these pokemno for you adventure"

<badly resized Darkrai with Charmander's cry>
<Ugly Fakémon that looks like something a 5 year old might smear on the walls with finger paints>
Eevee

Urgh, that was painful to type. Anyways, when I see things like that in a hack game, usually shake my head in disapointment, dump it into the trash bin, delete the shortcut, and then delete the abomination itself. I honsetly just want to kick something whenever I see "it me ur pal prof <Vulgar mispelled swear word>"or anything similar. But that's not the worst part, oh no, it is not. These are some of the worst quotes I could muster to pull out of a hack game. (I couldn't bring myself to pull in anything with swear words in it, I just can't!)

"luz i jsut fond alot of masterbals inthst caver mabe u should go iside"

"so u thin kur reddy 4 teh l88t 4 well i dont thin kso because im thebest so sho me wat u got luz"

"oh hey <character name> omg did i didnt mean it in any specal way no were jsut frends uh gotta go byt ;) "

I'll go insane if I have to type any more of this..."Stuff." Spelling errors in one thing, but leet speak is when it gets to the point of garbage. Sure, I can forgive you if it's part of the plot and dignified, but more often then not, it's just the hack's creator trying to be funny/cool/annoying.

2.)

With that out of the way, lets get to the next part. STORY LINE. Yes, I know it's a pain to re-invent the wheel, but cliché story lines get repetative and boring after a while. Here's a list of the most obvious ones:

"Evil team <Bad/Cool Thing> is trying to to something bad. You, having just turned 10, the hero of the story, will go on a journey to collect gym badgers, Beat the Elite Four, and stop the evil team <Bad/Cool Thing>, becoming the "best" trainer of all time in the process."

"It is written, only <character name> can defeat <bad guys>. Using the legendary XXXX*, you will embark on an adventure to fulfill your destiny!"

"Oh noez Darkrai is takin over teh world & u must stop hem!"

"You must calm the legendary <thing> in order to save <region>!"

*Can also be Eevee.

If your general storyline falls into one of those categories, I suggest that you should SERIOUSLY consider revising somethings.

3.)

Finally, the part you've all been waiting for, Fake-It Monstrosities. Sure, every once in a while, a fake will come out that's not half-bad, but usually, I've seen...Well, I've seen too many freaks to list them all, and some of them are hard to describe, so I'll just list what "bad" Fakémon generally look like:

A crudely scratched sprite that looks like
something a 5 year old might smear on the walls with finger paints
complete with full black outlining, little to no shading, disproportionate features, and worst of all, it's usually supposed to be a starter, Legendary, or in extreme cases, an Eeveelution.

A cheaply done splice that's supposed to be an evolution to an existing poke. I'm sorry, but ripping off Pikachu's head, sticking it onto Dragonite's torso, and painting it a single shade of yellow to top it off is just not enough to justify an alternate evolution.

Stolen artwork from some random game nobody has ever heard (or cared) about. It just ruins the atmosphere when your level 23 Ivysaur is fighting against a giant robot with lazer-cannons sticking out of it's back, swords for arms, wings that don't seem to serve any purpose, and chains protruding from various areas of it's body.

Reused crys. How am I supposed to be afraid of MewfourZ when it has Minun's cry!?

Boy, that was long. Well, now I'm burned out... ...

/Rant

Wichu
December 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
*Niprop pops out of the ground wearing a hard helmet*

Okay, lets keep things short and simple here.

1.) Yes, I suppose this is the Pockét Monster Communication Forum (Or at least that's what I think the full name is) for "everyone", but lets get something straight here. When making splices and hacks, there's no excuse. Bad grammar and spelling errors are what break a game. Want an example of the stuff I'm talkin' about?

"hey <Insert Character Name here> prof <insert vulgar, mispelled swear word here> wants you m aby its to get a newpokrmon"

"oh its you.hi my name is <Insert Rival name here> an wth ur gettin ga pokemon to?"

"oh so your then ew traenr everyones talking about.here tkae 1 of these pokemno for you adventure"

<badly resized Darkrai with Charmander's cry>
<Ugly Fakémon that looks like something a 5 year old might smear on the walls with finger paints>
Eevee

Urgh, that was painful to type. Anyways, when I see things like that in a hack game, usually shake my head in disapointment, dump it into the trash bin, delete the shortcut, and then delete the abomination itself. I honsetly just want to kick something whenever I see "it me ur pal prof <Vulgar mispelled swear word>"or anything similar. But that's not the worst part, oh no, it is not. These are some of the worst quotes I could muster to pull out of a hack game. (I couldn't bring myself to pull in anything with swear words in it, I just can't!)

"luz i jsut fond alot of masterbals inthst caver mabe u should go iside"

"so u thin kur reddy 4 teh l88t 4 well i dont thin kso because im thebest so sho me wat u got luz"

"oh hey <character name> omg did i didnt mean it in any specal way no were jsut frends uh gotta go byt ;) "

I'll go insane if I have to type any more of this..."Stuff." Spelling errors in one thing, but leet speak is when it gets to the point of garbage. Sure, I can forgive you if it's part of the plot and dignified, but more often then not, it's just the hack's creator trying to be funny/cool/annoying.

2.)

With that out of the way, lets get to the next part. STORY LINE. Yes, I know it's a pain to re-invent the wheel, but cliché story lines get repetative and boring after a while. Here's a list of the most obvious ones:

"Evil team <Bad/Cool Thing> is trying to to something bad. You, having just turned 10, the hero of the story, will go on a journey to collect gym badgers, Beat the Elite Four, and stop the evil team <Bad/Cool Thing>, becoming the "best" trainer of all time in the process."

"It is written, only <character name> can defeat <bad guys>. Using the legendary XXXX*, you will embark on an adventure to fulfill your destiny!"

"Oh noez Darkrai is takin over teh world & u must stop hem!"

"You must calm the legendary <thing> in order to save <region>!"

*Can also be Eevee.

If your general storyline falls into one of those categories, I suggest that you should SERIOUSLY consider revising somethings.

3.)

Finally, the part you've all been waiting for, Fake-It Monstrosities. Sure, every once in a while, a fake will come out that's not half-bad, but usually, I've seen...Well, I've seen too many freaks to list them all, and some of them are hard to describe, so I'll just list what "bad" Fakémon generally look like:

A crudely scratched sprite that looks like

complete with full black outlining, little to no shading, disproportionate features, and worst of all, it's usually supposed to be a starter, Legendary, or in extreme cases, an Eeveelution.

A cheaply done splice that's supposed to be an evolution to an existing poke. I'm sorry, but ripping off Pikachu's head, sticking it onto Dragonite's torso, and painting it a single shade of yellow to top it off is just not enough to justify an alternate evolution.

Stolen artwork from some random game nobody has ever heard (or cared) about. It just ruins the atmosphere when your level 23 Ivysaur is fighting against a giant robot with lazer-cannons sticking out of it's back, swords for arms, wings that don't seem to serve any purpose, and chains protruding from various areas of it's body.

Reused crys. How am I supposed to be afraid of MewfourZ when it has Minun's cry!?

Boy, that was long. Well, now I'm burned out... ...

/Rant

I haven't actually seen any games as bad as you've described... There are a few in the Plot and Story Ideas section that have nonsense plots, but I have never seen a game with grammar and spelling that bad. Most games with fakemon here have pretty decent sprites; there are very few (maybe less than one in four) whose quality isn't too good.

I notice you said 'hack games' in there. Now, if you head over to the ROM Hacking forum (especially the Scrapbox), your complaints seem to ring truer :P

Oh, and what's with the convoluted formatting in that post? Now that is something that annoys me :(

Peeky Chew
December 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I haven't actually seen any games as bad as you've described... There are a few in the Plot and Story Ideas section that have nonsense plots, but I have never seen a game with grammar and spelling that bad. Most games with fakemon here have pretty decent sprites; there are very few (maybe less than one in four) whose quality isn't too good.

I notice you said 'hack games' in there. Now, if you head over to the ROM Hacking forum (especially the Scrapbox), your complaints seem to ring truer :P

Oh, and what's with the convoluted formatting in that post? Now that is something that annoys me :(Well the fact he thinks this part of the forum is for hacks leads you to beleive he hasn't in fact seen any hacks that bad, since he doesn't even know where that section is...

Froslass_Maniac
December 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I don't do many fangames, but I will vote on the base of doing PWO and have done Pokemon Indigo/Volcano.

PWO is good, except for the shapeshifting bug. (my poor charmeleon lv 20 became a Mareep lv 5.. D: ..) And the servers are down a lot at the moment. Guess that prevents me from playin' it.. (too bad)

Pokémon Indigo also lags a lot, and I had many moments where the battle froze and never got on so the only option was going away from battle.. (omfg I missed the pokemon I wanted that way) Volcano was good, but that one was gone. Thus Indigo got made. Indigo is bigger and has not only wild pokemon of lv 12 what is a good point between volcano, but it lags alot ruining the game expirience.

Niprop
December 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Well the fact he thinks this part of the forum is for hacks leads you to beleive he hasn't in fact seen any hacks that bad, since he doesn't even know where that section is...

*Failed to read Blurb*

Oh right, this forum is about the games using RPGmaker and Similar tools, rather then mutilating FireRed (and sometimes Emerald for the gutsier people out there) like I'm used to seeing. In that case...Forget everything I said. I haven't tried hack games in a looong time, before I was part of the Community, and from the videos I've seen on Youtube, hacking didn't seem to get any better from that time on. I've never played a Non-Hacked, built from scratch Pokémon game before, so my views on this stuff are invalid. From what you're describing though, most scratch games are 3x times better then the average chop & slice...

Congratulations, you have found a person being an idiot on the internet! You win!

Edit:

Yeesh, well, I can see I'm not wanted on this topic anymore.

Swampert_66
January 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
What really is annoying to me is grammar/spelling. Another thing that's annoying is the fake pokemon

Wichu
January 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Another thing that's annoying is the fake pokemon

Says a user with a Pokémon Amethyst userbar in their sig :P

I just found that a bit ironic XD

KingCharizard
January 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
lol this topic was brought back to life? lol I only have a problem with alot of progress and then the games gats trshed

Neo-Dragon
January 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
lol this topic was brought back to life?

This is a sticky thread so members are free to post in them without the month time limit.

KingCharizard
January 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
This is a sticky thread so members are free to post in them without the month time limit.

I know I was just saying that cause noone posted in it for quite some time

Yuoaman
January 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Says a user with a Pokémon Amethyst userbar in their sig :P

I just found that a bit ironic XD

It is at that...

And I hate when the English language is mangled in games... And playing Quartz has done naught but exacerbate that. o.o

Java's Missingno.
February 9th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Actually, since userbars were mentioned..

I absolutely hate it when a game with little visible progress starts making userbars that say "I support Pokemon: _____" It's understandable if people show their support when there's something concrete to support, but when you only see a couple generic screenshots with little or no content, it is not the time to express your undying support for the project.

The Cynic
February 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
The thing I often dislike about fangames (although this will also apply to hacks too) is when the gym leaders all have random names like Derek or Rachel, with no reference to type/personality etc.

Fangames that are never finished are what annoys me the most.

Dragma
February 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Though I probably shouldn't really be talking... I would have to say someone suddenly bailing out on one of their projects.

I love playing other people's games, and when there's one that exciting, I get pumped. However if they stop, I get depressed... :(

Karel_Kazuki
February 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Im trying to build off of these and I am an aspiring Game Developer.I know from my time here that i hate GAMES NOT FINISHED, Giving up on projects, no demos are released and if they are,they, suck D....never mind...but i think you all get the jist ofwhat I'm saying.One of the games im planning consists of Fakemon so i don't mind them.

DarkDoom3000
February 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Fake pokemon. if theyre made in a way that resembles the normal pokemon sprites then its cool, but if the fake pokemon look any bit worse than the normal sprites that i dislike.

sadly most fake pokemon look horrid. no shading, crappy outlines, lack of detail.

HOBOGames
February 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thats exactly what I think im sorry to the game creator and it's team but take Pokemon Uranium the Fakemon look tacky and they aren't well shaded a little more detail and they'd be fine. Take Amethyst for a good example, orignal designs great details, thier just better then Fakemon drawn in paint in 5 minutes it take hours sometimes days to perfect a sprite.

Peeky Chew
February 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Screens being double the size they should, if you don't know how to halve their size in paint then you shouldn't be making a game! Massive support banners, you want to be able to put more than one in your sig. I don't really mind loads of screens, but it's really annoying when people put the, in a massive long line from top to bottom, they should go in rows of three. Thread creators wanting help, then not listening to it. Creating a game thread, then never coming back onto PC, ever. Not really to do with the game but, when someone creates a really bad looking game and then someone says "That is the best game I have ever seen! I support this!"
That's the most annoying.

Nightrider434343
March 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I put misspelling as the worst. I don't know why...but I simply hate when the dialogue looks like a 5 year old wrote it. (I mean this as both misspelling and being a little less creative than you can be)

Yusshin
March 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Improper grammar kills a game. You can have the best storyline and mapping in the world, but if your grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. sucks, your game sucks. Sorry lol

Fakemon are also horrid, along with promises of a finished game but it never actually happens.

SilverLightning22
March 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
The main problem I have with fangames is the boring, uninspired story which was either stolen/takes a lot from the main series or from another game/anime/manga/book or whatever. I've got a game in development that seems like it conforms to the traditional story up to a certain point, then sets the player reeling with a plot twist that makes them go holy crap! Also, the story will see 2 evil teams collaborate with each other (I know it's been done in Colosseum, but it's different to what is usually done). Also, there's more story post E4 than before it to be honest, and I didn't have a framework to stick to so I just took my ideas and ran with them. Also, the grammar. If you haven't got the brains to write a coherent sentence, then you shouldn't really be making a game.

Civil Servant
March 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Definatly the storylines and writing. Rip-offs from other games, anime, books, ect, are irritating if the creator is trying to pass it off as their own story, but the worst is those games which are pretty much full of "h3y l0sr ur pkmn suks bals1 mine is no 1! KEKEKEKEKE", or lame "jokes about farting, sex and swearing. Not worth the time it took to open the .exe.

Opalescent
March 17th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Unfinished...not adding at least some new ideas... and games with custom Pokemon that are just terrible...I mean I know its a lot of effort but if you're not going to make it look professional you should just not bother to be honest. Maybe thats a bit harsh but I like things to look like a real game, rather than a couple of idiots playing around with paint and claiming it looks amazing... hmm.. I sound really quite trollish here >.<

thepsynergist
March 17th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I hate that no one finishes what they started. The only game that I played that was finished was Raptor.

assasinn
March 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think the most annoying thing about a fangame is that they don't have a download available, or because the demo isn't very impressive

agent destroyer
April 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Because OVER 50% of people say the worst thing is that they do not get finished, i am working to get a thread up and running for people to give someone else the game to finish. It saves a great pokemon game idea while the developers don't need to do as much work.

Please show your support by saying it in a post (though do not spam), Tell the Game Development Moderators or put it in your signature.
I hope this will help satisfy your needs for game completion.

mattman324
April 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I put a lot of options in, but hear me out, they all have reasons and most are for similar - or exactly alike - ones.

Slow or to few regular updates + They never get finished + they get discontinued = If I were to make a game, I'd be at a point where, by the time I post it, I'm either in need of sereous help, or because I am almost finished. And I'd be fully dedicated at that point. If you start something, carry through with it (Unless you have a REALLY GOOD REASON TO STOP.)

To few screenshots + to few videos + Using maps instead of Screenshots = You have a game, SHOW PEOPLE WHAT IT'S LIKE. Don't cop out, or take the cheap way out. LET PEOPLE KNOW. There's a good reason why there is a forced number of pictures.

Promises that are never kept = If it's said, it should be done. Don't say, unless you can do. Look before you leap or somesuch.

Spam in the main thread = While it makes me want to pull out a sledgehammer and beat people's faces in, to be honest this isn't the fault of the creator. I voted THIS for the others who read this, so that maybe, MAYBE we can cut some spam away a little.

Things that I didn't vote for that were popular, and why:

Boring, overused storylines + No origanal content = I'm playing POKEMON. It has the weakest story since Mario, and all the games like it. I don't care if I'm doing the cliche thing, because I'm using teams of pokemon that were never intended to be used! (Sometimes to disastrous results... but that only happened once, and it was in a hack)

Poorly planned projects + no new features = See above. Although, if they had shown off something... go look at Promises that are never kept.

Fake pokemon = Because unless the sprites are REALLY horrid, I find it part of the adventure to figure out the best atributes of whatever. Bad spriting though? Unforgivable, there are people who are EXPERTS who you could have asked. And if they said no, then maybe the flaw is with your hack or your ideas.

Many updates but not much progress = Is the game being worked on? Yes. That's enough to quell n00bs and make me know that it will be done.

Bad spelling or Grammer = Hey, everyone makes mistakes. Consistant mistakes are annoying, but do little but grate nerves. And while it is annoying to see "me battle pokemon?" or something, it is one of the easiest things to fix. Just have people bug check the games, they should pick up on it.

Nickalooose
April 27th, 2010, 06:03 AM
to be honest here, each fan-game, is made by a different type of person, not everyone wants to reveal the game after badge 3, so demo's are not always available... some people, no offence to anyone, but some people are too dumb to work out how to print screen and have screenshots... some people have a lack of imagination and come up with boring, standard stories that everyone has used and/or is using... some people like me, are still learning the coding and has a very limited script to make a game stand out too much, so story and graphics is what we'd rely on... so not everything about fan-games can be judged on what is seen in a thread (although, saying that, this doesn't mean i like seeing threads open with little or nothing posted about the game... quite frankley, if your game doesn't consist of about 5-8 badges, custom scripts or at least 2-4 regions, 75-100% complete, it shouldn't be posted, but what do i know ay!).

but i would like to comment on-topic, about fakemon, these are the most pointless creations i have ever seen in any fan-made game, i personally don't mind fakemon, IF , there is only about 5, give or take, anymore than that and it neither should be classed as Pokémon or Pocket Monsters, but, Fakemon and Fake Monsters, i've seen a few clever fakemon, but i don't like excessive amounts...

just thought of something else... i hate a big hype for a game that is destined to fail, like someone will start making a game and give this amazing story/plot, then forget to mention that they are going away to university in a few weeks...

did they think they could make a game in a couple of months?

i find i'm taking more time planning ahead as opposed to making the game itself, but what planning i made gets me flying through the parts i just planned... (that sounds confusing, but its really not)

sorry for so much but once i get typing, haha! This is abit of critisism and some backing to other fan-games here!

Lyzo
April 27th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I only have a few problems with fan games, the most important one is: The new people starting their own games right away.

These people come to the forum, play a game and say: "Hey, I want to do that too!". Most of these people are about 12 - 14 years old and have no experience. They start a game using a starter kit, and have done no research at all on things that might be possible. They come up with things that they either don't have the skill to do or aren't even possible. Look, I appreciate the initiative from them on wanting to create something of their own, and I understand that. But before you even start, look at some tutorials, look at some other good games in the progress for ideas, and then maybe join a team as one part, don't right away start your own. Gain experience in that team, and then once you're ready, go for it! You've now had a lot of practice and are ready to create your own team to make your game.

The problem is... most people don't do that... that's why we get a lot of pointless threads with amateur games that will never... ever... be finished.

That's my insight on fan games :)

Meegz0
May 28th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Grammar and incompleteness has to be the top one for me.
I actually love a game with well made fake pokemon as long as they're GOOD.
I don't like seeing poorly designed spongebobs and potatoes with faces in my games :<

Bad storyline is a killer for me. Or even worse, SPEED plots. A speed plot is where you move on with the story WAY to fast. It makes it feel rushed. I don't even want to come across a game with both of those elements.

Amaloli
May 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Bad Fakemon...if you can't sprite, you should definitely find someone who can, or better yet, learn how. There's lots of tutorials just waiting to be googled! Oh, and every once in a while I see Fakemon that are blatant rip-offs of creatures from other games, or if the creator is particularly shameless, imported wholesale from another game without changing anything. That's just cheap. And obvious frankensprites make me sad but I've seen some really good ones where you can't even tell it's a frankensprite until someone points it out.

When someone wants to start a game but the only things they can contribute are "storyline" and "ideas" and are only on the team by virtue of coming up with the title of the hack. They always waltz onto forums and the like asking for a scripter, a spriter, and a musician and expect volunteers to pop out of the woodwork. That's a little arrogant.

Bad spelling and grammar...I can understand if English isn't your native tongue, because English is difficult for most non-native speakers, but if English is your native language you really have no excuse for being an awful speller. Hire a proofreader or something once your hack is done.

When just the starting area was actually planned and the rest just looks like it was improvised. That's just sloppy.

I don't mind if a game starts with ten-year-old you explaining to a treeish professor your gender and name...that's how every main Pokemon game has started, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I do like when a game tries to be different though.

brokenxnote
June 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
grammar and spelling. for the love of all that is in english and is comprehensible, please check your grammar and spelling, dialogue writers. its quite ridiculous to come across a game that is half lolspeek, half 2nd grade level grammar and spelling, and has random pointless vulgarity in it for the sake of vulgarity.

also, i actually dont mind there being fakemon in a game, but if you cant sprite, but you for some reason think you're God's gift to pixels, then i have a problem with it. if you cant sprite, and want to do it yourself for your game, then learn to do it. if you cant sprite and want sprites in your game, but cant seem to get your spriting up to a level that youre satisfied with [admittedly, this would be me], you can always ask for help from someone who CAN sprite, and hope you find someone willing to help. but please be sure that THEY suck at spriting less than you, if you wanna go that road haha

also, pipedreams annoy me. okay, you want to make a game. but if youre working on it with no experience in scripting, spriting, or even story writing, and no team members with any of that experience to help you out, how do you plan on including "OVAR 756 POKEYMANZ [including Fakemon of course] 8D!!!", having a nice custom menu, and all these other random features [either god-awful, ridiculous, or pointless features in many cases] your imaginative little mind has come up with? start where you know you can reach and work up from there. i havent made any system related promises to myself about my project for one reason: i. cant. script. ive stuck to what i KNOW i can do, and ill work my way farther once i get an actually competent and functioning team together. until then, im not gonna plan to have like 7 regions, 700 pokemon [per region lol], 9 different journeys to choose from, and custom fully composed music for every single town area and route, because i know id simply be kidding myself to try and do that. be realistic, game makers. know your limits and respect them

Azure Rathalδs
July 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I agree with everything on the poll, espcecilay fakemon. The look far too much like digimon and usually replace some great pokemon.

Maruno
July 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I agree with everything on the poll, espcecilay fakemon. The look far too much like digimon and usually replace some great pokemon.
Half the fifth generation Pokémon look like Digimon. The legendaries have even been said to break the Yu-Gi-Oh! barrier. I don't think that's a valid argument any more.

It is, however, a valid complaint about the fifth gen.

Diablo361
July 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Half the fifth generation Pokémon look like Digimon. The legendaries have even been said to break the Yu-Gi-Oh! barrier. I don't think that's a valid argument any more.

It is, however, a valid complaint about the fifth gen.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/135/d/1/d183fb29d0756f94024ebc0184e01f36.png

Are you seriously going to bring in that argument?

lx_theo
July 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
[image]

Are you seriously going to bring in that argument?

Wow, no thats not it. Its tat they're drawn in the same way there. Anything morphed some to look more like the other is going to look more like the other type. you can especially with Charizard. Look at it, its the drawing style that creates the greatest similarity you're trying to point out.

Though they are all creatures, and your point is still reasonable though the severity put forth by your drawing is overdone by a bit. That or I misunderstood what you're trying to say...

Diablo361
July 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Wow, no thats not it. Its tat they're drawn in the same way there. Anything morphed some to look more like the other is going to look more like the other type. you can especially with Charizard. Look at it, its the drawing style that creates the greatest similarity you're trying to point out.

Though they are all creatures, and your point is still reasonable though the severity put forth by your drawing is overdone by a bit.

...Wait, what?

Are you saying the new Pokemon look like Yugioh monster's are they do not?

lx_theo
July 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM
...Wait, what?

Are you saying the new Pokemon look like Yugioh monster's are they do not?

Actually, now I'm a bit confused about what you were trying to say.

I'm saying that they have significant design differences, but like anything of creatures for the genre, you are going to find them similar to some extent, and the drawing does up that because of them being gin the same drawing style.

Diablo361
July 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Actually, now I'm a bit confused about what you were trying to say.

I'm saying that they have significant design differences, but like anything of creatures for the genre, you are going to find them similar to some extent, and the drawing does up that because of them being gin the same drawing style.

I'm saying that though the artist is the same, you can see the obvious differences between the Pokemon and Yugioh mons.

DarkDoom3000
July 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Earlier generations actually looked like belivalbe creatures.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4f/Spr_4h_057.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/9e/392.png
---
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/59/Spr_4h_018.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/fe/Spr_4p_398_m_s.png
---
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d9/Spr_4d_015.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6e/Spr_4p_415_m.png

Yuoaman
July 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Earlier generations actually looked like belivalbe creatures.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4f/Spr_4h_057.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/9e/392.png
---
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/59/Spr_4h_018.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/fe/Spr_4p_398_m_s.png
---
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d9/Spr_4d_015.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6e/Spr_4p_415_m.png

Because bees with stingers on the end of their legs is believable? And try to keep your topic more in line with game development, everyone.

thepsynergist
July 24th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Not to be rude, Yuoaman, but its a lot more believeable than a living honeycomb...

Nytkoi
July 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I hate it when a game has bad fakemon. It just ruins the whole game.

Also, I would say I hate the incompletetion of a game, but get real everyone - it's already hard to make a game from scratch (or essentials), let alone finish it!

Cypher DS
August 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Grammar and spelling errors. Nothing jars you out of the game experience quite like improper verb usage. ("Hey, you arent allow to be hear!")

AceDragonite
August 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I won't play a game if it

-Has a horrible plot
-Has no fakemon
-Has bad grammar and spelling

Seven Dragons
August 26th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I won't play a game if it

-Has a horrible plot
-Has no fakemon
-Has bad grammar and spelling

Would you play a game if it had no plot?

Many people play games simply for the gameplay itself, even if it is an RPG.
NoPlot>HorriblePlot imho.

roxaspwner
August 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
If the game never finishes

I dislike games that have a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, especially since those should be fixed in bug testing. I like games with fakemon, it makes it more appealing, however, they should be...decently designed at the least.

Gardenia101
August 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I voted for a few, but this is the one that annoys me most.
They never get finished
I've seen games that look really cool, and I can't wait for the even the next demo to come out, and......
It never comes.
1 Year Later:
Still not here.
Also, misspellings are just stupid. I mean, if you spell "Piplup", "Piplip", or "Pokeball" "Pokebal", or something similar, that just screams "Lazy".[/rant]

Dahlia411
August 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah exactly brilliant ideas, but no progress at all

imevil
September 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
i hate when they get you exited about a great game then it never gets finished

Livinitup17
September 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
No original content they usually do the same thing over and over even some copy the whole story of pokemon and add new characters they dont even change the name -___-

incognito322
September 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You know what I hate? HUGE MAPS. Like ones with so much space you're wondering why anyone would ever WANT to visit the Pokemon Center. Places so big you're praying you don't go into that monster of a forest and get Poisoned, 'cause your team is dead meat then.

I mean, a different style of mapping is nice, but excessive size is a bit much to me. Smaller, cleaner maps that use space efficiently are more professional, and even though the squareness bothers people, Pokemon games in particular are based on linear movement.

Maps, and visuals in particular, form most of the game. I wish people would put more into their maps than just throwing things together.

AceDragonite
September 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Would you play a game if it had no plot?

Many people play games simply for the gameplay itself, even if it is an RPG.
NoPlot>HorriblePlot imho.

that would be plain stupid

KitsuneKouta
September 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
You know what I hate? HUGE MAPS. Like ones with so much space you're wondering why anyone would ever WANT to visit the Pokemon Center. Places so big you're praying you don't go into that monster of a forest and get Poisoned, 'cause your team is dead meat then.

I mean, a different style of mapping is nice, but excessive size is a bit much to me. Smaller, cleaner maps that use space efficiently are more professional, and even though the squareness bothers people, Pokemon games in particular are based on linear movement.

Maps, and visuals in particular, form most of the game. I wish people would put more into their maps than just throwing things together.That line made me laugh. Anyways, I completely agree with you. And not only are large maps unpleasant to play on, they're also difficult to make to. So you're doing yourself and the gamers a favor by keeping it reasonable.

I also share the sentiment on visuals. That's what usually makes or breaks a game for me, except when the gameplay is completely awful, then it's not justified.

And about the squareness: that's Pokemon's style. A lot of people advise against following the official mapping style because of how square it tends to be, and really they have a point, but that's also a trademark of sorts of the nintendo games. Mappers shouldn't be afraid to emulate the style, at least as long as it's for a Pokemon fangame and not something else. It should be more a matter of personal preference.

SpiralHorn
January 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Man am I glad for this thread (and that it's a sticky!). As a newbie to fan game making, it really helps to be able to see what NOT to do. It's interesting what seems to be all around no-nos, and what seems to be more a matter of taste. I now have good idea of what to pay attention to while I'm working on my game.

There's a few things I wanted to comment on as well.

Fakemon- It seems that it's not necessarily the design or even the existence of a fakemon that people don't like, but the quality of it's sprite. I feel the same way. I personally love seeing peoples ideas, but if the art sucks, it just ruins it for me. Pokemon Chaos Black was the first ever fan game I've played, and it almost completely turned me off from fan games forever!

Bad grammar/spelling- It drives me crazy! This is by far the worst, absolute worst thing a person can do in a game. What the frack is so hard to understand about running your text through a spell/grammar check? Or maybe even having a few people proofread a few times? I don't even tolerate bad grammar or spelling because the creator isn't a native English speaker, get some one who is to help you! There's been a few games I've played that I quite because of the language.

Huge maps- Even though the game I'm working on is enormous, I actually agree with this. I hate games that are massive for no reason. I makes me feel lost and apprehensive, which would be fine if that where the reason for large ares (like in mine), but to do it just for the heck of it drives me nuts. It's not bad though if there's huge areas balanced with smaller, tighter ones. That I actually like.

No creativity- Another thing that boggles my mind, is that people actually bother to put the effort to make a game, with a program that is so incredibly versatile as RMXP, and not actually add anything significantly new. I mean, what's the point? Hacks I can understand to an extent, since they are so limited, but to be lazy like that while using something that grants you so much freedom is just asinine.

No/bad demos- This is another thing that really confuses me. The point of a demo is to show off new features and to get people excited in your game. Again, if your not going to at least try to do that, then why even bother?

No one seem to know how to script- Like I said I'm new to this, but if I can't get the scripting down, I'm not even going to bother with my game. It's like saying you want to write a novel but you don't actually know how to write! It's not like Ruby is even hard to understand. I think the problem is that it actually takes time and effort to learn.

Presenting the game early/ no updates/ not finishing it- This is why I'm not even going to bother to make a thread for mine until it's about 75% complete. The Showcase forums on this site are actually really disappointing :( The only two complete games that I've played are full of errors, and the rest of them seem like they're never actually going to happen. So, so sad.

And lastly, making promises that can't be kept- This one I can see being very upsetting. This is why I've only ever mentioned what I want to add to my game, and not what I am. It's awesome when people come up with really cool ideas, but to say they're going to be added to the game and then not do it is really, really lame.

Maruno
January 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Huge maps- Even though the game I'm working on is enormous, I actually agree with this. I hate games that are massive for no reason. I makes me feel lost and apprehensive, which would be fine if that where the reason for large ares (like in mine), but to do it just for the heck of it drives me nuts. It's not bad though if there's huge areas balanced with smaller, tighter ones. That I actually like.
I think the main problem with huge maps is that they tend to be made for the sake of art rather than the sake of playing through them. That is, the designers forget how big the game window is that the player will be looking through in order to see their maps.

It's all about proportions. Maps can be whatever size you like, so long as the features in them are proportional to the game screen. Personally, I wouldn't like to walk down a forest path for half a minute (traversing many screen widths) only to find it's a dead end. On the other hand, huge forest mazes where the dead ends are short and don't take up much time to explore (i.e. about 10 seconds tops for the return trip) would be fine. It's all about the sense of progression, which is something you don't get when you're forever stumbling down mile-long dead ends and not making much real progress. On the other hand, very long boring paths in which nothing happens is just as bad, even if you are heading in the right direction. You can't even do something clever with the camera angles like that bridge in Isshu (which was still tedious, by the way).

Another disadvantage of large maps is that they're much more difficult to fill in. Consequently some don't, and have awful wide open spaces. And the way you fill in the space is important too - an array of fields is neither clever nor nice. If it's not adding anything to the map other than "realism", and particularly if the player should never have to venture near it, then get rid of it - put it on the other side of an untraversable fence or something. You can still have it, just don't force the player to go through it.

Of course, as I mentioned, not all huge maps are bad by default (just all the ones I've ever seen are). They can be good, so long as you remember how big the window is and keep the map features to that scale, and keep things interesting (enemy trainers/acres of long grass are not interesting).

Oh, and huge maps means more events, which means more lag. Just saying.

zingzags
January 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Bad grammar, and ****** stories.

DarkDoom3000
January 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
95% of the fangames being talked about are still in developement. and the "demo"s are infact betas.

You may not realise it, but you the whole point of a beta is to report glitches and spelling errors so the full game doesn't have them.

SpiralHorn
January 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
I think the main problem with huge maps is that they tend to be made for the sake of art rather than the sake of playing through them. That is, the designers forget how big the game window is that the player will be looking through in order to see their maps.

It's all about proportions. Maps can be whatever size you like, so long as the features in them are proportional to the game screen. Personally, I wouldn't like to walk down a forest path for half a minute (traversing many screen widths) only to find it's a dead end. On the other hand, huge forest mazes where the dead ends are short and don't take up much time to explore (i.e. about 10 seconds tops for the return trip) would be fine. It's all about the sense of progression, which is something you don't get when you're forever stumbling down mile-long dead ends and not making much real progress. On the other hand, very long boring paths in which nothing happens is just as bad, even if you are heading in the right direction. You can't even do something clever with the camera angles like that bridge in Isshu (which was still tedious, by the way).

Another disadvantage of large maps is that they're much more difficult to fill in. Consequently some don't, and have awful wide open spaces. And the way you fill in the space is important too - an array of fields is neither clever nor nice. If it's not adding anything to the map other than "realism", and particularly if the player should never have to venture near it, then get rid of it - put it on the other side of an untraversable fence or something. You can still have it, just don't force the player to go through it.

Of course, as I mentioned, not all huge maps are bad by default (just all the ones I've ever seen are). They can be good, so long as you remember how big the window is and keep the map features to that scale, and keep things interesting (enemy trainers/acres of long grass are not interesting).

Oh, and huge maps means more events, which means more lag. Just saying.

I have in mind a huge, open wasteland that the player has to survive in, and I've been trying to work out how to map it. I'm going to make the screen size of the game pretty large, but I know I'm still going to have issues with too much open space and not enough interesting things. See, a huge part of my game is realism, with (hopefully) a lot of OW events and actions. You've given me a lot to think of, so thanks.

You may not realise it, but you the whole point of a beta is to report glitches and spelling errors so the full game doesn't have them.

Good point! It seems a lot of people don't realize that. Bleh.

This username is already in use
January 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Lack of attack animations?

CeFurkan0
January 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM
No original content

this is the most annoying i belive

Ratty524
January 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
In the short time I've been here, I've already seen many common issues that are the same with the RPG Maker community as a whole:

1) Most projects, especially ones that look impressive, never get finished. This is highly disappointing, and while I'm guilty of this myself, you should consider that once you have a fan base going on, you should keep it. I guess it's easier said than done, as most indie-developers don't devote their lives to this sort of thing, and finding motivation can be hard sometimes.

2) The projects are too ambitious. It kind of comes with the fact that we are developing pokemon games. It is horrifically time consuming to design, purpose, and assign movepools to new pokemon, and to do about 100 of them is even worse. And it's not just with creating pokemon, its with coming up with gameplay, level design, story, etc. I think people need to realize that they are NOT going to make a game that matches the professional quality of the real games, but rather try to do the best they can in a condensed amount of time.

The 100 Mega Shock
January 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
RPG games really are a poor place to start creating a game because of what you mentioned.

kazary
February 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM
To me, being a copy of the GBA or NDS games, no original content. Fakepokemons are also unnecessary. If it was at least an attempt to copy to another system such as PSP, would be awesome

evilkain
February 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
i love nice graciks and no original contents thats what i vote'd fore

Alternative
February 22nd, 2011, 04:59 AM
As an aspiring new game developer, I chose that they all look the same, or I should have chosen that they all have the same story line. I know it breaks away from the formula which is Pokemon, which is what I'm looking into, but these Pokemon games are the same thing of "Get badges, fight bad guys etc" and it does get boring sometimes. I'd like to see some new things in fangames.

Cyndaquil2607
February 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM
As an aspiring new game developer, I chose that they all look the same, or I should have chosen that they all have the same story line. I know it breaks away from the formula which is Pokemon, which is what I'm looking into, but these Pokemon games are the same thing of "Get badges, fight bad guys etc" and it does get boring sometimes. I'd like to see some new things in fangames.

yeah, i agree, the "Beat the champion, spoil the bad peoples plot, etc." is really getting old :/ but i really dont care about the graphics. and another thing, good looking hacks never get finished, which i find disappointing. Also, (yeah i know im going on and on) most newbees dont really plan out the whole hack, for example, i found a hack where a legandary just appears with absoulutly no backstory at all! And some fangames (hacks in particular) dont have any originality, some that do are
pokemon ruby destiny rescue rangers by destinyjagold
pokemon topaz by bazza (because you get to be evil for a change)
etc.

~Cyndaquil2607~

lx_theo
March 27th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I just read this entire thread... And, well I'm no longer sure if i learned anything. Actually there is one thing. Grammar, grammar, grammar and grammar some more. Get it right.

Wow do people on Pokecommunity love their grammar.

K.N.L
April 19th, 2011, 05:22 AM
This Poll is going to help me so much because when i make a game i can youse this to evaluate what i will do

sorry if theres any mistakes

pedrito3_poke
April 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
The worst thing is that the best ones never get finished...
And most part of fakemons are simply very ugly (except for Acanthite).

There are guys who just waste their precious time making stupid games, when they should join to make a good game. I see lots of unfinished and bad projects, with bad fakemon... I would prefer to have only 1 finished project of a decent game.

Blaziquaza
April 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
What just gets me greatly annoyed is that people just decide this:
lolololololololololol let's just make 150 NEW Fakémon without putting any effort into spriting them
OR we promise new features and never do them or get somebody to do everything for me lololol orz

Diablo361
April 21st, 2011, 09:31 PM
Not finishing them.

Good God, not finishing them.

If you don't have a plan to get the entire game done, then don't go around and start something only to drop it at a hat.

Start something? Try as much as possible to get it finished, or hand it over to someone who can finish it.

Not finishing them.

Good God, not finishing them.

If you don't have a plan to get the entire game done, then don't go around and start something only to drop it at a hat.

Start something? Try as much as possible to get it finished, or hand it over to someone who can finish it.

dannyboy601
April 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM
They never get completed.
It annoys me so much when I come across V3.5 (or something like that) of a fangame on the internet and I spend hours trying to find V3.6, only to find out that it doesn't exist and never will.
No original content
If you're making a fangame then at least include something new. The whole point of a fangame is that it is made by you and is new. If everything is the same as previous games then people are going to get bored. I also hate it when people come up with something that has the same features as a pokégear, the same layout as a pokégear, the same purpose as a pokégear, but isn't called a pokégear.
Boring/ overused storylines
Do not create a fangame that has the same basic plot as 86% of all the rest. Add a twist, or make it completely new, just don't keep the same get-a-pokémon-from-professor-tree-defeat-eight-gyms-and-save-the-world-from-evil-team plot.

Ces soirees-la
April 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Stupid games, that have no real direction or story line.
It's like a 1 year old just grabs the computer and mashes it for a while then posts it.

Magicsaur
April 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Never getting a game done, being too ambitious with a project, just recycling the actual game's standard storyline, and generally bad spriting.

Pia Carrot
May 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I don't like a game being in development for a year or more without even a beta for us to play (Like Blue Chrome). It may be a good game, but hey, we're human, and get bored of waiting.

I like Fakemon. Especially evolutions/pre-evos of existing ones. I'm not as big on Eevee evolutions, but I like the idea of Mettaleon.

I don't like crossovers. I see people making Pokemon with final fantasy characters in it. The only game I played that incorporates Final Fantasy into Pokemon perfectly is Super Pokemon Eevee Edition. I like some things, like Harvest Moon features =3

And last, but not least, Giving up on the project. My laptop crashed and I lost Mint Version. but I got off my @$$ and started from scratch, and guess what? It's better than ever now that I've matured a bit more! I actually planned everything out this time, and I won't lose interest.

I hope people read my comment and agree with me!

DarkDoom3000
May 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM
^ agreed. If you have atleast 30 mins of gameplay, theres no reason not to have a beta.
Not only does it build up hype and satisfy fans, but it also allows people to report bugs and give suggestions.

Minor peeve.

but when people do this on the main posts

Screenshots
Comming Soon

Why the need for the spoiler tag? If the thing is less than 2 lines it doesn't belong in a spoiler tag unless it's really a spoiler. Especially seeing the spoiler tag makes you think theres an image in there... then you become let down by the fact theres nothing. :(

Saten Ruiko
May 9th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I just read this entire thread... And, well I'm no longer sure if i learned anything. Actually there is one thing. Grammar, grammar, grammar and grammar some more. Get it right.

Wow do people on Pokecommunity love their grammar.I agree. Dont forget that there are many game developers/hackers from other countrys, many of them can not write/speak with proper grammar, including me. But as someone already said, you can get some people to check those things, it's better to aim for the best and make it look professional.

StevieJee
May 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
As an aspiring game developer... I've been trying to take as much of this info into account as I can. This thread is very helpful :D!

FL
June 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
The biggest error for developers/makers is try to do more that they can actually do!
Other thing is lack of commitment. Okay that some developers have contingency, but this aren't reason for even half of topics to be abandoned! You aren't making a game for only you, but for your possible fans, don't disappoint they!

abnegation
June 4th, 2011, 02:20 AM
The biggest error for developers/makers is try to do more that they can actually do!
Other thing is lack of commitment. Okay that some developers have contingency, but this aren't reason for even half of topics to be abandoned! You aren't making a game for only you, but for your possible fans, don't disappoint they!

I agree with this, especially about developers who try to do too much which they cannot do. I find it a bit too overwhelming if game developers try to script so many new things into their game, I really feel that it'll end up being saturated in features and the game itself may not be as fun to play, or at least the developer may not think about the playability of the game. They end up adding too many features and the progress of the main part of the game goes nowhere, along with the originality of characters and sprites and things like that. I think some developers may think that one particular skill that they have can make their game popular, be it music, mapping, scripting or their artwork, it seems as if some games are made by developers with skill in one area but everything else does not live up to those skills in hind sight.

I think that lack of consistency in a game bothers me. When I play a demo which has unfinished products in it, I feel a little thrown off. What I mean is, if I expect to play up to the 2nd gym battle, I would hope that almost everything would be as is it is going to be in the final release. But if I see a gym leader with a sprite from another game that has not been finished or some overworlds that still need to be sprited, I wonder why they released the demo instead of getting these small things fixed.

Though sometimes, I think the biggest problem with fan games is the developers. Developers can, at times, feel a little self centered and absorbed in their own ways that they sometimes don't take necessary criticism on their game or have the foresight to see that they cannot make a game alone yet wont get very good help without some talent themselves. The progress of a project really depends on the dedication and the method of the project leader(s). No one should be more dedicated to the game than the person/people who are making it primarily. However, a very good project leader can produce great class in their fan game. But a very good project leader is someone with a lot of skills in the area of game development, and it can be frustrating when you like a project, but you know the leader isn't as dedicated to it as you would hope.

FL
July 30th, 2011, 06:39 PM
The worst thing for me is to redo the very cliché 8 GYM type based and E4 for game again, again, again and again! I think that nintendo should only do this at RBY (because GSC have 16 GYM). People are too occupied on mimic every aspect of nintendo games (even the errors) that go beyond. Makers with this thinking hardly can surpass the nintendo dogmas and make good and innovative games.
If you go to use this cliché at least put some diference like 4/6/10 GYMs or even 16 like Johto, GYM based on other things like weather, region or even real animals like one GYM Leader using primate pokémon like Mankey, Aipom and Monferno.
C'mon everybody, you can think on more creative game styles!

udivision
July 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
In some ways, the closer your game gets to playing like an official Nintendo game, the more likely someone will ask "Why am I playing this when I could be playing a real Pokemon game?"

To avoid this, you have to change things up. To be honest, incorporating 8 Gyms with no new spin should be heavily frowned upon.

Maruno
July 31st, 2011, 01:43 PM
In some ways, the closer your game gets to playing like an official Nintendo game, the more likely someone will ask "Why am I playing this when I could be playing a real Pokemon game?"

To avoid this, you have to change things up. To be honest, incorporating 8 Gyms with no new spin should be heavily frowned upon.
Frankly, my opinion is that a "new spin" on things would include NOT making every smegging Gym part of the plot, and NOT having every Gym Leader and Champion getting all chummy with the player. That kind of thing is far too contrived, but sadly it's where the official games are up to nowadays.

Be different. Don't make the player the centre of the Universe.

udivision
July 31st, 2011, 07:15 PM
Frankly, my opinion is that a "new spin" on things would include NOT making every smegging Gym part of the plot, and NOT having every Gym Leader and Champion getting all chummy with the player. That kind of thing is far too contrived, but sadly it's where the official games are up to nowadays.

Be different. Don't make the player the centre of the Universe.

I don't think the gym system has to go away completely, but I think giving it the same attention that the mainline series gives it would be a misstep. But it is a way of doing progression in terms of field abilities.

I agree though, the player doesn't need to save the world. If I made a pkmn game, it'd be like a mini-tv series revolving around a group of quirky trainers travelling the world and running into random situations and plots. The Gym challenge would be the reason for their travels, but like a tv show, there'd be a lot more going on between those.

DarkDoom3000
July 31st, 2011, 09:34 PM
I agree with the above(s).

Theres so much more interesting stuff that could be done instead of the gym system. Im regretting putting it in my game :/.

FL
September 25th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Be different. Don't make the player the centre of the Universe.Maruno didn't like predestination XD, but I agree and this is one of reasons that I didn't like the anime.
But the point is that the big list of unique legendary pokémon (53), is almost impossible to player met/caught at least half.

Erosu mou
May 7th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I totally aunderstannd how you feel but I mean, Pokemon games have copied the same storylines as well, I mean if you look at the storyline in D/P, - it's exactly the same as R/B/G/Y, it's nintendo you should be telling about it.

With the storylines though, to me they work well - It's a sturdy and very consistent story no matter which game you play and the fan games (In my opinion) should reflect Nintendo's work and maybe even make it better but I don't think it bad for games to be original like save whoever from darkness realm or whatever.

About the Player speaking, it's true as well - when you give someone a voice it gives them a linear attitude along the whole game. That's why I especially like games that allow the player to have choices and whatever choices you make lets the NPC's interact in different ways to the main character.

So guys who ar making games (sorry about the typos), it's YOUR game, YOU are the fan so you do what you want with it, just as long as you finish the game...

Well I don't think a Pokemon fanmade game can ever be complete because if your game is successful then you will have years of players playing your game.Over time the game would get boring if you don't add stuff, for an example:"I beat the last gym, achieved all rare Pokemon, and got all the rare items.Now that there is nothing left but just PvP battles I will play other games.".A metaphor?: You slowly climb down a small 100Ft hole to find treasure, you can't bring the treasure back so you climb out of the whole with nothing and find other treasure.Maybe this is the reason why Nintendo has never made a Pokemon MMO game yet because less console game profits and people would get bored of Pokemon over the years of playing it.I think us Fangame makers could find 1000 ways to keep the players happy and satisfied for years.We just need to study life more since Pokemon is based off of life(Real life legends like Mawile, manectric, raikou ect.Bulbapedia and their infos check out them.)

Thank you people for your opinions.I have learned a lot reading all of your thoughts.This can help my future game a lot.Anyways i'm studying what catches a player's attention when playing a game.I am adding features to my game, examples:Makes you feel like you have more control, express your feelings more, get addicted to many things in this game, living, taking care of your Pokemon, lots and lots more.I studied Pokemon anime and I will be adding lots of stuff ha ha.I worked on a lot also but just giving out hints for more people creating Pokemon games.Good luck to you all, Ganbarimasu ne!

Rayquaza.
May 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Can I just add that most of the users on PC still have to go to school/college/university etc. Also the concept of game developing takes years of practice, including all the trial and error on the way.
No, you all may be right that not everyone is an amazing spriter and scripter - Me included - but that's why you have many people working on a project.
What I say is that no matter how annoyed you may be with these little flaws like 'Spelling Errors' and 'Screenshots' is that you have to take into account the amount of time per-week that people have, the pace at which their fangame is progressing. If you support them and give them helpful advice and critique, it may help them correct it.

droomph
May 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I don't usually play GD games, but I can tell you that when you're using a standard font (Arial, Times New Roman, Helvetica, etc.) in your text boxes it looks really bad. Now I'm not saying create a fancy font with fifty serifs every character but do try to make the font look original yet still vaguely Pokémon-ish. (or you could go the cheap way and just use the Pokémon font)

This might seem like a small complaint, but since the only way to convey a storyline in a decent Pokémon-style game is through text, the font plays a key part in giving the full Pokémon vibe, while still being an original and fun game.

RandomComm3nt
May 12th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I don't see the problem with Fakemon, to me basically everything after Generation 3 is a Fakemon, and many of the ones on this site have way more originality than the Gen IV and V Pokemon.

Rayquaza.
May 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM
There's nothing wrong with Fakemon. Their originality is what makes them so cool.

xdanx
May 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Problem with fakemons is that they're fake. Most people prefer real pokemon. Specially because some times fakemons are even worst than the original ones (which now is pretty hard considering how ugly 5th gen is). Not everyone loves something new made by (basically) a nobody just because it's new or original.

Rayquaza.
May 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I hope I only have to say this once, but you shouldn't criticise people for Fakemon, the Pokémon company could potentially sue anyone for copyright infringement for using the Pokémon name anyway, so if you make Fakemon that are original then they you have less chance of being sued for stealing sprites and Pokémon names.

Also don't diss the 5th gen Pokémon, they're pretty good in my opinion. I'm sure many other people like them too. Have you ever tried to think of you own Pokémon? Don't criticise others for their work if you've never tried it yourself. It's pretty hard, I know because I've tried it.

DarkDoom3000
May 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
my problem with fakemon is they're usually not up to the same quality as the official pokemon. it always makes it jarring seeing a badly drawn fakemon next to a official one.

Hideos
May 16th, 2012, 02:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with Fakemon. Their originality is what makes them so cool.I agree. Sadly most Fakemon have weird names and unedited cries which ruins most of their originality.

KivaSnS
May 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
No original content is my biggest and followed by poorly planned games and spam in the topic Im reading about.

abnegation
May 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM
If you're going to do fakemon, you should be consistent. Good designs, new cries, full movesets, well composed sprites. Otherwise they look tacky.

Besides, my mentality is that we have enough to choose from at 649 species, and about 1,000 forms. I don't see any need for fakemon in my own project. I feel that the originality should be put into other things such as gameplay, graphics and storyline.

Rayquaza.
May 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I agree with your opinion, I still support Fakémon that are original and consistent.

ZarakiKenpachiSan
June 14th, 2012, 11:01 PM
On a slightly different note, I just had a quick question about mapping. I know that consistency in tiles is important, which is pretty much the case in my outdoor tiles. However, I really can't find enough newer gen tiles for indoor maps, so I've had to use gen 3 tiles in some places to make up for them. Basically, is it a bad idea to use newer gen outdoor and old gen indoor tiles? and is it ok if i use newer gen tiles in some indoor maps, and older gen tiles in others?

DarkDoom3000
June 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM
On a slightly different note, I just had a quick question about mapping. I know that consistency in tiles is important, which is pretty much the case in my outdoor tiles. However, I really can't find enough newer gen tiles for indoor maps, so I've had to use gen 3 tiles in some places to make up for them. Basically, is it a bad idea to use newer gen outdoor and old gen indoor tiles? and is it ok if i use newer gen tiles in some indoor maps, and older gen tiles in others?

posting a screenshot would be the best way to judge.

tootlerocks
July 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM
What I kinda find annoying is the fact that so many fangames are based off the GBA series (i.e. R/S/E/FR/LG). You rarely, if at all, see many games based off the DS versions. And also they try to imitate the tiny screen size of the GBA or even worse *shudder* the GBC. I can understand being realistic and all, and that's fine if that's what you're aiming to do. But I can't help but think that if it's a game for PC, shouldn't we be taking advantage of more of the available screen?
Don't hate me, I'm just saying.

Heart's Soul
July 6th, 2012, 06:38 AM
What I kinda find annoying is the fact that so many fangames are based off the GBA series (i.e. R/S/E/FR/LG). You rarely, if at all, see many games based off the DS versions. And also they try to imitate the tiny screen size of the GBA or even worse *shudder* the GBC. I can understand being realistic and all, and that's fine if that's what you're aiming to do. But I can't help but think that if it's a game for PC, shouldn't we be taking advantage of more of the available screen?
Don't hate me, I'm just saying.

Making a DS-like game will have to require 3D modelling. Seriously, if you're not sure whether that is necessary, look at Skyarrow Bridge. Besides, it's kind of hard to innovate what's already placed in stone. While it would be amazing, it's sort of unrealistic- some people still use 640x480.

Laurenellis
July 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM
It is hard making up new monsters, but it isn't that hard. I think some Fakemon tend to go with quantity rather than quality.

What bothers me the most about some games is that they never finish or update you as the user with progress. I imagine that the developers didn't realize how much work it would take and they give up. :(

Jbsundown
July 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I have chosen the following four points:

Slow or too few updates:
This can be annoying, especially at the start of the game when they have only completed up to the first gym or so and you cannot go any further into the game and have to wait a good few months before continuing. And generally by that time you can lose interest in the game which can result in the next point.

They never get finished:
This can be extremely disappointing for some people. For me a good example is Pokémon Ash Grey. It may be being worked on but as far as I know it has been stopped. I was very much looking forward to playing the full game but doesn't seem like it will happen unfortunately.

Misspellings in games:
This is one of the most frustrating things that happen. If it is something small such as a space wasn't added between two words that is understandable, everyone makes mistakes. But when people just write in fully lower case and do not use punctuation at all (that may be an over exaggeration) to me it shows laziness and no dedication towards the work they have done.

Fake Pokémon:
I only like 'Fakémon' for legendary Pokémon as long as they have a good story towards them. Or for Starters (sometimes). But when you enter the first route and there are at least 4 different Pokémon that pop up that are all Fakémon it can annoy me. Which is why I dislike playing games that have a lot of Fakémon in them.

It can be very disappointing when there is a game that has a lot of potential with an amazing story line and mapping and graphics etc. but is ruined by one of the points I previously mentioned.

nuzamaki90
August 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I really dislike it when fangames that have a ton of potential, look fantastic, play fantastic, and look like they will be a hit, are canceled.

It's like, what was the point of using all that time spent making the game look and play good, but cancel it before even a beta release?

Fire Flyy
August 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I really dislike it when fangames that have a ton of potential, look fantastic, play fantastic, and look like they will be a hit, are canceled.

It's like, what was the point of using all that time spent making the game look and play good, but cancel it before even a beta release?

I feel you, but real life should always come first, and people are just often too busy, or their teams falls apart for some reason, and to say the least, the developer's talented team was probably one of the reasons the game looked so nice in the first place.

BigMastaWalrus
August 22nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
I personally don't enjoy when a developer breaks the fourth wall of the game and ruins the image of a different world. I like playing Pokemon games because they're different, and when someone references that it's a hack, or you battle the developer, it generally ruins it for me.

FL
August 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
The development communities generally appreciate (and some give several prizes) big projects that have too many things customized and too many things to do, specially the visual part that have a instant effect on attracting people. These projects generally took ages and need a big team to do, and when some members give up for some reason (even stupid ones) the team fall apart. These people prefer to focus their time more disseminating their games than making it. In this forum we can see some project that have more than a thousand of replies and no even a demo.

I prefer the development methodology of making the game and latter add features and custom things on it, so if you give up you have an average game rather than a demo full of custom things.

MonsterMMORPG
September 1st, 2012, 03:16 PM
voted for : They never get finished.

TheMrQuit
September 19th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Pokemon is a really hard game to make. One thing that annoys me and is not on the list is the fact that eveyone wants to make a long pokemon game. I'd like to see some shorter but better ones. Mispellings, bugs, crashes and other annoying things are common in longer games because they need a lot of time and a big team. Why not making a shorter game? that's only a suggestion of course.

poke-world
September 22nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
that the topics are filled with utter spam, many people decide to use the same, boring storyline, that nothing has really been planned, that there are no new features or systems, that updates are made, but don't show much of anything, and that many people put poor-looking Fakemon in there games (Acanthite excluded).

Orpheus
September 26th, 2012, 08:47 AM
most fangames are never finished and have a lack of originality and are never done :(

UnderMybrella
October 1st, 2012, 01:56 AM
For me, its a. Spelling and Grammar. Please people, I advise typing EVERYTHING into MS Word, Pages, OpenOffice or whatever word processing program you have with spell check, and make sure it WORKS!!!! I've seen some pretty good games out there that have put me off because of spelling.
b. Very few new features. It's great to have a awesome game, you know? New storyline, new region, new cities, great everything... but it's basically the same features as every game has... I mean, what would it take to just have a nice event here or there that looks nice, hm hm? Maybe the Pokémon are all visible form a GUI at the top of the screen? That'd be cool. What about a fully interactive day/night system, with berries only growing in day and the Pokémon Center is closed at night? Cool! You get me?

c. Pokemon Essentials. Linking back to b, I know a lot of people use Pokemon Essentials and rely on it for a lot of things in their games. But there is little variety. Many people use default scripts, default settings, default resources, and just make a game from that. No creativity there whatsoever.