PDA

View Full Version : better names for pokemon

Shinin
June 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
i dont know if this should be in PG

Magikarp should be called by its japanese name, Koiking. Koiking is better.
And Mr. Mime should have a name that doesnt make it sound like male-only, like Mimo or Mime.

Iveechan
June 24th, 2004, 07:57 PM
If Hariyama's name was more English-y, I could see Sumorai. But Manectric is a terrible name. The Japanese name was romanized into "Raibolt", so it would've been neat if it had "bolt" somewhere in its name. Other than that, I can't think of good names right now.

jynx
June 25th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Raibolt is so much better than Manectric!

Serknight is so much better than Gardevoir! I mean, what on Earth does Gardevoir mean?

Lapras is better to be Laprace. or Laplas (Its Japanese is Laplace, comes from a French Scientist that measured waves, and completed a full Plesiosaur fossil)

<--definately need a better name!
<---Is not an unlucku Pokemon! Its meant to be lucky in Japanese Culture!

Jirachi
June 26th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Serknight is so much better than Gardevoir! I mean, what on Earth does Gardevoir mean?
It means Garden Reservoir.

Metamon rules over Ditto.

jynx
June 26th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Garden Reservoir!? What on Earth does it link to Saanaito!?
Holy crab!
I want a better name

Pincushion
June 26th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Deffinitly not, i love there names, more than there japanese ones, i like them the same!

jynx
June 26th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Not necessarily Japanese names, but change some bad ones.

I dare say, that the English translation since Johto Version is very bad indeed!

Shinin
June 29th, 2004, 10:30 AM
what does serknight mean?

charmeleon, who isnt a chameleon, should be called charizard and charizard should be called something like charagon.

Timbjerr
June 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Raibolt is so much better than Manectric!

Lapras is better to be Laprace. or Laplas (Its Japanese is Laplace, comes from a French Scientist that measured waves, and completed a full Plesiosaur fossil)

<--definately need a better name!
<---Is not an unlucku Pokemon! Its meant to be lucky in Japanese Culture!actually, I found this at an article on Gamefaqs.com:

Gardevoir- (garde-voir) Old Gardi's 100% French. The roots mean, "a guard,"
and, "to see," respectively. Psychics are known for their abilities to "see"
the unseen (or the future) and Gardevoir is said to protect its trainer from
any threat with its powers, like a guard.
obviously Gardevoir's name is French...not whatever Garden Reservoir has to do with it...

actually, this page (http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/pokemon_frlg_name.txt) really is able to explain a lot of the pokmon's english name origins.

jynx
June 30th, 2004, 08:29 AM
oh I see...
but why they have to use other language while it is English version?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate "my" name!!! Change it!!1 Urrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

Timbjerr
June 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM
just to make it sound less English-y

If they had used the English forms of the same base words, the Gardevoir would be "Gardsee" or "Seegard" please Tell me "Gardevoir" is better than those XD

jynx
June 30th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Agree...
Oh well,
Gardevoir has such a good name but I don't
ITS UNFAIR!!!!

Timbjerr
June 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Meh...I really don't agree with that site's theory about Jynx's name origin. Of course, I wouldn't like to be kissed by a Jynx, so I would think of a Jynx as a Jinx...

jynx
June 30th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Errr...that';s not very nice...
"I'm" supposed to be lucky in Japanese Culture!
Have you seen Princess VS Princess? In that epi, Misty recieve some lucky dolls, one of them is "me"!

Ganon
July 5th, 2004, 10:39 PM
manectric should be something like voltike. Mr mime should have a more decent name aswell. Charmeleon should be called charizard and charizard should be renamed. i agree with that!

Jeikobu
July 5th, 2004, 11:13 PM
You want better names, go with the Japanese ones. Just compare them with the English. (http://www.geocities.com/animelee_pokemon/PMgenNames.html)

Ganon
July 6th, 2004, 02:18 AM
You want better names, go with the Japanese ones. Just compare them with the English. (http://www.geocities.com/animelee_pokemon/PMgenNames.html)
most of the time i admit the japanese names are better.

jynx
July 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
See! Japanese names are so much better! XD

(What are those in the brackets though?)

Pincushion
July 7th, 2004, 12:56 AM
I think there names are really cool as i said before, you get so used to them that if thewy did change them it would be so annoying and you'd get mixed up!

asher_son_of_ash
July 7th, 2004, 02:01 AM
See! Japanese names are so much better! XD

(What are those in the brackets though?)

Like Articuno's Jap. name, Freezer? O_o; Yes. Some Japanese names are cool. But I still like the English names. -except for Ledyba!! Anything but Ledyba!!-

Batesy's the best! He is cool!

Skrin
July 7th, 2004, 04:33 AM
You do know, of course, that once nintendo releases the game that has the pokemon's dub name, they can't change it.XD

But if they could, I could see a change in the pikachu series:

For intance, Pichu=Pishi(Pronounced Pshy, BTW.XD)

And the other two:

Pikachu=Pikushi

Raichu=Raimushi

Ya know why I choose those names?? "Shi", from what I've heard, in japan, not only means "4" but also, "Death" Why death 4 da Pikachu family?? Because every time they fight team rocket, Ash tells pikachu to unleash a T-bolt, and... ya know... THEY KILL DA BALLON!!!XD

PC R0X0RS MY B0X0RS S0X0RS!!!XD

jynx
July 7th, 2004, 06:11 AM
You do know, of course, that once nintendo releases the game that has the pokemon's dub name, they can't change it.XD

But if they could, I could see a change in the pikachu series:

For intance, Pichu=Pishi(Pronounced Pshy, BTW.XD)

And the other two:

Pikachu=Pikushi

Raichu=Raimushi

Ya know why I choose those names?? "Shi", from what I've heard, in japan, not only means "4" but also, "Death" Why death 4 da Pikachu family?? Because every time they fight team rocket, Ash tells pikachu to unleash a T-bolt, and... ya know... THEY KILL DA BALLON!!!XD

Funny!
But not very fair for Pikachu fans though...

Skrin
July 7th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Why is it unfair 4 us pikachu fans??

Or should I say, Pikushi fans.XD

And no, I didn't mean "Why death 4 da pikachu family?" as in, "DEATH TO THE PIKACHU FAMILY!!!" rather as in, "Why include a word that means "Death" in the Pikachu family??"XD.

Pikushi, attack the Pikushi hater!!! T-Bolt NOW!!XD

mewruler
July 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM
lugia could have had a better name cuz it sounds like i wanna hock a lugie.

stewie&rupert
July 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
i like the name serebii over celebi. wen i get a celebi in my game im gonna chand=ged the name to serebii. i also call celebi celebii with 2 ii's.

Timbjerr
July 8th, 2004, 06:53 PM
i like the name serebii over celebi. wen i get a celebi in my game im gonna chand=ged the name to serebii. i also call celebi celebii with 2 ii's.
you know..."serebii" pronounced with Japanese phonetics is pronounced exactly the same as "Celebi" pronounced with English phonetics. Same story with "Houou" and "Ho-oh"

jynx
July 9th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Double i does not exist in English, unless it is not a noun or in present tense. (e.g. skiing)