PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Changing Grass Animation

thethethethe
November 3rd, 2007, 1:31 AM
Many hackers at PC have had trouble with this. Here's a tutorial on how to do it.

Let me know if the image 'dies' and I'll re-upload it.

EDIT: The image died and I think I deleted the image from my computer. But I have the microsoft word document I wrote it in.
Download is in the attachments.

Geeked
November 3rd, 2007, 6:10 AM
Thankx thethethethe your da best.

Binary
November 3rd, 2007, 7:04 AM
Wow very nice tutorial thethethethe,
It is very advanced,
thanks for sharing it ;)
It helped me alot

Ooka
November 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
This is definatly helpful, I have always had trouble with the grass tile animation, I never really looked into changing it but I'm glad someone did. I'll make sure to give you credit in my hack.

OsherStyle
November 3rd, 2007, 3:46 PM
oh thank. that help me. D::::::::::;

SerenadeDS
November 3rd, 2007, 7:17 PM
Ah! I was looking for the Grass Animation color in the Palette Viewer! I should have looked at OAM. Thanks alot thethethethe! This will help me alot! ;)

Prof. 9
November 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
This is fantastic! =O
I've always wanted to know how to do that =D

Alistair
November 4th, 2007, 3:48 AM
It is a very good tutorial. Nice job. One thing, though. You only need to edit 5 animations, not 30. Some of the animations in there are from the grass from R/S/, and therefore do nothing. The others are just completely usesless for editing the grass that is shown.

thethethethe
November 4th, 2007, 4:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right about the ruby tiles. But it is definately more than 5 that you should be changed. I think it's probably more along the lines of 10-15. I think it's these ones that need to be changed. Only the ones inside the boxes.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z24/thethethethe_photo/upload-1.png
I'll fix the thread once I find out for sure, which ones need to be changed.

Anyway, if you change them all you won't miss any. It shouldn't matter since the Ruby tiles(as far as I know) have no use in an FR rom.

cooley
November 15th, 2007, 3:58 PM
Ok, Tx4. I'm going to try this now.

Haile Selassie IV
November 25th, 2007, 3:05 AM
You may call me a n00b for this question:
Which offsets do you look for? The Red ones, the Yellow ones or both?

I just wanted to be sure.

Momoko
November 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Wow,thanx this should really help me with mapping for my hack! Ur tha best!

thethethethe
November 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
You may call me a n00b for this question:
Which offsets do you look for? The Red ones, the Yellow ones or both?

I just wanted to be sure.

Sorry this took me a while to answer. You can search for either, but since your a self proclaimed "n00b", it might be easier if you search for the red one. That way you can just goto that offset in APE/Hex editor.

Lady Berlitz
December 1st, 2007, 8:53 AM
This is incredibly useful. Though I won't be using this tutorial until I get much further into my hack at the moment, I will use it once I reach a release date. Thanks 100%!

Chimchar 9
May 13th, 2008, 6:58 AM
thanks for this it really helps you have a lot of tutorials!

Platinum Lucario
May 13th, 2008, 7:00 AM
Thanks, that really helped. :)
Now I know how to change grass animation.

Zaptinex
May 14th, 2008, 7:41 PM
thats a lot of tiles for a bit of grass, are they all basically part of the same small walking through grass animation?

garra911
May 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "pair up the colors"

lilleman
June 12th, 2008, 6:26 AM
What is APE? srry for being a complete dumass

thethethethe
June 12th, 2008, 6:31 AM
What is APE? srry for being a complete dumass
Advanced Palette Editor, I think. Find Hackmew's tool factory in the tools section for more info.

lilleman
June 12th, 2008, 6:35 AM
Ty. BTW good tut i'm gonna be in use of it

Tré
June 12th, 2008, 6:42 AM
hey thanks 4the i'm really havin' problems with the grass ani thingy.. and i might try this tut...

Ninja Caterpie
June 14th, 2008, 9:46 PM
You guys are all lazy, calling him Thex4...xD
Well, thethethethe, it's confusing, but I'll get it...somehow...xD

Momoko
June 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
LOL it was hilarious just changing the one lone grass piece,but this will surely be used later on ^^ thx again

Sinner
July 25th, 2008, 12:01 AM
TheTheTheThe can you reupload tutorial? I really need it, ty

thethethethe
July 25th, 2008, 2:35 AM
Sorry I couldn't find the image on my computer. But I've uploaded the Microsoft word document that I wrote the tutorial in. That can be found as an attachment in the first post.

Iken
August 10th, 2008, 5:05 PM
let's say i'm changing the grass to a sort of greyish dead plant.

how would i change the color of the animation?

EDIT: Er... nevermind *duh*

RE-EDIT: OK nevermind, i can't make this work -_-''

sab
September 4th, 2008, 5:01 PM
Call me a n00b but I can't figure out how to change the palletes in tile molester.

the0person0of03
May 20th, 2009, 1:54 PM
THIS. IS. AWESOME.

but im just wondering.
how can you add an animation to a new tile? Like the Pokemon Gen. 4 games' windmills.

timeshero2
June 3rd, 2009, 4:12 PM
Damn good TUT!!!!
Took me a few attempts, but I finally got it

Benjithebutcher
August 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hey im working on a pokemon hack and i already changed the grass to a different image, adn changed the palette and im very confused on the hex editor and so forth, please help

FamiliaWerneck
July 23rd, 2015, 7:02 PM
Ok, I know this is a very old thread, but it's the start of what I was looking for. Re-uping the0person0of03's question, is it possible to add more animations, not simply change them?
Also, I don't know for the palettes, but I'm sure the behavior bytes are organized in tables that may later point at this specific animation.
Knowing this (and that JPAN actually found the table), is it possible to get the table and locate every animation in the game?
Also, seems like the tall grass animation is in the Fire Red ROM, after all. Why it doesn't work in Advance Map? It was used on top of a different tile, a regular grass. Wht it doesn't work by calling it from Advance Map?

azurile13
July 23rd, 2015, 7:49 PM
Ok, I know this is a very old thread, but it's the start of what I was looking for. Re-uping the0person0of03's question, is it possible to add more animations, not simply change them?
Also, I don't know for the palettes, but I'm sure the behavior bytes are organized in tables that may later point at this specific animation.
Knowing this (and that JPAN actually found the table), is it possible to get the table and locate every animation in the game?
Also, seems like the tall grass animation is in the Fire Red ROM, after all. Why it doesn't work in Advance Map? It was used on top of a different tile, a regular grass. Wht it doesn't work by calling it from Advance Map?http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=252704