PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Silence or school prayer?

Gunn
November 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
SPRINGFIELD — Sparking a debate over school prayer, Illinois lawmakers voted Thursday to require students to observe a moment of silence at the beginning of each school day.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/600560,cst-nws-silence12.article

Some people believe this is an excuse to get prayers in schools, which doesn’t make much sense to me because it’s not forcing any religious acts upon anyone, so nothing is being violated. I am also hearing an argument, where this is taking over people’s rights of freedom of expression.

To most people, a moment of silence is conserved for something tragic, like for most Americans, 9/11. These sorts of events are where a moment of silence can be best witnessed. But having a moment of silence in school as a daily routine is dumb and meaningless. Overall, I am complete against it. I fail to see what this moment of silence serves as a purpose and an educational value. I even find it a little disrespectful as well. We can put moments of silence into better use.

Erimgard
November 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Honestly, if you need a time to prayer, I don't think whether or not your school has an 'official moment of silence' makes much of a difference. if you want to pray, you'll find time. if not, why sit through an awkward silent moment?
I wouldn't say I'm opposed to this, but I don't really see a point

Cherrim
November 9th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I would really have cared less if they imposed a moment of silence on my in my mandatory education. I think it would probably be okay even if it was for no reason at all--if NO ONE is talking, others are less inclined to start talking. And again, if no one's talking, teachers can start lessons or announcements can be made without people yelling over them. In my homeroom class in the final semester of grade 12, I heard the school announcements a grand total of maybe five times. :\ Required silence MIGHT have helped the situation a bit.

So really, I don't care. If they want to have that for whatever reason, I don't see what's wrong with it. While moments of silence are usually used more for remembrance or reflection... they're still only a moment of silence. I remember when I was younger, I would just think about any random thing during moments of silence (like on Remembrance Day), and now? I... have to admit that unless someone reminds me to do it, I never do. :\ This isn't a big deal to me.

Anyway, as for the article itself:
One CPS source said officials are concerned that the silence mandate could turn into a “complicated issue’’ and a “distraction for teachers and kids.’’ Among the concerns is what to do if a student begins openly praying.
Wait, what? Who cares if someone is openly praying? Just... ignore them and move on or something? Or if it's a vocal prayer and is distracting the lesson, ask them to move outside temporarily or something equally innocent. o_O; I don't understand why this is a big problem. Mind you, I went to a Catholic school for many years, so praying was mandatory, but I'm sure if someone wanted to recite a different prayer, no one would object. Crazy.
Rep. Will Davis (D-Homewood), the bill’s chief sponsor, denied he was promoting school prayer but instead said a moment of silence possibly could avert tragedies like the recent school shooting in Cleveland, where a troubled 14-year-old shot two students and two teachers before killing himself.
Uh, what? I don't buy that at all. I don't think a mere moment of silence is going to curb disasters like that. o_O;