PDA

View Full Version : What OS do ya use?

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 10:30 AM
What Operating System do you use? (IE, Win98, WinXP, Mac OSX, etc)

I use Windows XP... it's a nice operating system, if you ignore the Windows logo. :P It can be skinned really well, IMO, and yeah... I like it really. 98SE was another good OS... but now I prefer XP. ^^;

Sakura and Espeon
June 27th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I currently use Windows XP, Windows 2000 (VM, SP4), and Windows 98SE. ^_^ Windows XP is really nice operating system indeed.

Master Kwesi Nkromah
June 27th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I and I think most of everyone else is using Windows XP as their main platform. It's really freaky when you think about it. Microsoft controls so much of the computing industry. It's scary, how could one company be so powerful?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6191
The Top Ten Browsers and Operating systems both belong to microsoft

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
The power of monoply, gotta love it. =/

But I read an interesting article yesterday... might as well link to it.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Seems like the future of Windows isn't looking so bright. oo;

Cyndaquil
June 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM
W2k <--- Too short, under 25 char... (Windows Twothousthand Professional)

Simon
June 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM
I have XP Pro on mine and XP HomeEd on my sis's computer.

Rated R Superstar
June 27th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Every PC in my House has XP.

Master Kwesi Nkromah
June 27th, 2004, 11:19 AM
The power of monoply, gotta love it. =/

But I read an interesting article yesterday... might as well link to it.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Seems like the future of Windows isn't looking so bright. oo;

I've seen stuff like that on T.V., Ya know the lunatic computer geek prophesizing about the end of the golden computer era when big business removes privacy from the homes of families all across the United States... uhm, yeah

But Ive never actually seen one for myself. The funny thing is I can see that happening and people all over the globe accepting it because they see no better option. Mainstream America meets Windows Longhorn.

lol :bandit: THE BANDIT :bandit:

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I could see it happening too... and that's the sad part about it. People will just accept it like there is no other choice because people won't know anything else.

Saddens me to a point.

*me realizes me is mod here* O_o

Master Kwesi Nkromah
June 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
didn't "me" u asked to be?

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I said I would look after it as in reporting threads. XD

Oh well. C'est la vie.

Back on topic... when I first switched over to XP from 98SE when I got my new harddrive (the only reason I switched - lol) I just hated it. The default look kills my eyes, and I hated how the start menu was, plus how all the taskbar things were grouped. It drove me absolutely bananas.

Strange thing is that now I love the features I used to hate... and i don't think I could ever survive on 98SE again.

Kairi
June 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Rofl, I use Windows XP the most, I toy with OSX and Ive used Linux a couple times. o.o;
I didn't really get into computers until after I had XP, so I don't really remember how 98 and 95 were. *shrug*

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
98 and 95 as far as I can remember, were pretty similar. But I don't remember all that much about them either, been awhile since I've used either of 'em.

There's a computer in the other room with Linux on it... I've played with it a bit, and it's okay I guess, but it really isn't something I'd use unless I had to. I'm too used to Windows really to switch over to something like that.

Plus I have yet to find where you can up the resolution... that has like 600 x 400 or something on it... everything is HUGE. oo;

Master Kwesi Nkromah
June 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
I made the mistake of getting windows XP when it first came out. For those of you who don't know, right after a products release is the worst time to go and buy it because it's positively jammed packed with bugs.
I had to uninstall half of my programs my printer and scanner.... what a pain in the ayiess

Kairi
June 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
It, like most things in Linux, is a real down and dirty manual setting. Not for anyone weak of heart around lines of code, like me. >_>; *recalls sticky incident and being scared*
Edit: My cousin installed a pirated copy for us about a year ago or so, maybe longer. Meh, didn't seem buggy to me even before I did the updates.

Sakura and Espeon
June 27th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I used to have 98 on my IBM, it was slow and it crashes alot. I kept getting blue screens of death.

When I got XP, it was better. ^_^

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I had to uninstall half of my programs my printer and scanner.... what a pain in the ayiessWow... censor bypass. lol... and that must've sucked. I waited for like two years before I got XP... and even then I had a whole load of bug fixes to download.

It, like most things in Linux, is a real down and dirty manual setting. Not for anyone weak of heart around lines of code, like me. >_>; *recalls sticky incident and being scared*Bleh. I can deal with the code... I just don't care to on Linux. >_> Maybe I'll look it up in the user's manual.

Oh... dear lord... speak not of the Blue Screen of Death Alyssa. That's my worst memory of 98SE.

(Come to think of it, I believe my version of XP is pirated)

Kairi
June 27th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Lol, Linux isnt worth the effort it takes on a desktop environment IMO. And Ahh, mine isnt now since it came with this new Dell, but Ive got a product key changer for the one downstairs. <_<

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Linux isn't all that user-friendly, but it makes a kick-butt (Would that have been considered a censor bypass? :P) server. I couldn't stand to use a Windows server...

We got our version of XP from a friend, and it came with a serial number that worked... so now we have 4 computers (all using the same net connection... @.@) so it might've been pirated, not sure.

My version of Office was bought in Russia for $20. XD

Kairi
June 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I actually legitimately bought office 2003 since the one I, err downloaded was in Korean. >_>;

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 12:00 PM
LOL! Korean... I don't think I could stand that.

It's funny when you get programs in other languages by downloading... lol. My version of Photoshop CS is the "Middle East" version. oo;

Kairi
June 27th, 2004, 12:02 PM
The menus bugged me to death! Cant use new features if you cant tell what they are. But back to OSs, this isnt the piracy thread. XD;

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Lol...

Anyways, does anyone here use Macs? I've used them as school some, and didn't really like 'em. They seemed almost too simple, like you didn't even need a brain to work 'em. o.o;

Kairi
June 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Ive got an emulated mac on my PC, like I posted some time ago. Theyre pretty fun, but Im just so much more comfortable with how Windows does things I wasnt too productive using one. I skin my XP to look like a mac though. ^_^ Best of both worlds!

Master Kwesi Nkromah
June 27th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Wow, I've been trying to find CS forever.. well actually i found it but my key didn't work, I almost resulted to buying it. I was forced to buy everything on this laptop because untill about 2 months ago my university legally owned it and kept a close eye on me. luckly they also offered MS products free so im like sweet...

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I use the best OS out there and probally I'm the only one here who uses it on thir destop computer..........building suspense.... LINUX!! Yay!:D
More specific, Red Hat Linux 9. The code isn't tough as you may think, you just have to use your brain. *gasp* :shocked:
Anyway, the code makes Linux powerful. It is the most powerfulest OS out there because of the command line or code as you people are saying. To install stuff, it's just "cd directory" then "./configure"then after that "make" and then "make install". Well that's most programs are made. There are also .rpm which only runs on Red Hat, Fedora, and SuSe which all you have to do is "rpm -ivh example.rpm" and then you don't have to do and thing else. Usually you have to install more than one RPM because the programs are so big. So if you take the time to learn Linux, which for the basics isn't long, Linux is fun and easy.

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 12:12 PM
You got an emulated mac? I've never heard of really emulating an OS... how's that work? o_O

And I just got CS out of luck really. :P Downloaded it off a friend.

Master Kwesi Nkromah
June 27th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I use the best OS out there and probally I'm the only one here who uses it on thir destop computer..........building suspense.... LINUX!! Yay!:D
More specific, Red Hat Linux 9. The code isn't tough as you may think, you just have to use your brain. *gasp* :shocked:
Anyway, the code makes Linux powerful. It is the most powerfulest OS out there because of the command line or code as you people are saying. To install stuff, it's just "cd directory" then "./configure"then after that "make" and then "make install". Well that's most programs are made. There are also .rpm which only runs on Red Hat, Fedora, and SuSe which all you have to do is "rpm -ivh example.rpm" and then you don't have to do and thing else. Usually you have to install more than one RPM because the programs are so big. So if you take the time to learn Linux, which for the basics isn't long, Linux is fun and easy.
see, that's more than us lazy consumers want to do.... windows installer for me.

Sakura and Espeon
June 27th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I legally bought Publisher 2003 because I needed it for school for a project. It worked great.... ^_^

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I needed Publisher so I downloaded it... XD

And Linux is a powerful system... but I still enjoy the ultimate power of the .exe

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 01:22 PM
see, that's more than us lazy consumers want to do.... windows installer for me.
Yeah. What I want to do when I learn C, I want to make a Linux Distrobution that's easy and lazy for everyone. Basically combining Windows and Linux together. But sadly that is only a dream.
Oh, and JKaizer, there is no power with .exe except the power of easyness. Which I'm starting to miss....I'm going to start learning C soon.

Imakuni?
June 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM
95 98 xp and knoppix. those are the os's i use on my different b0x0rs.

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Oh, and JKaizer, there is no power with .exe except the power of easyness. Which I'm starting to miss....I'm going to start learning C soon.And that power is the one I enjoy. :D

I hate having to install programs by hand... -.-;

lil' jose
June 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I use windows xp. Curse you, round buttons. CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaa
June 27th, 2004, 02:55 PM
My primary box, which is what I talk to all of you on, runs Windows XP Professional SP2.
I've been using XP since RC1 one days, alternating with Windows 2000 Pro (This was back on my AMD K6-2 300Mhz with 96MB of RAM!) when I wanted a bit more stability.

My other boxen run Debian (Potato) and Longhorn (I'm a few builds behind now, got lazy).

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Curse you, round buttons. CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!You could skin it to square buttons I'd think. o_O

*likes the round buttons*

And I want to get two more computers, one to run the "Linspire" thing on, and one to run Longhorn on.

lil' jose
June 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Yeah I would but my mom would yell at me. *glomps*

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 03:26 PM
You could skin it to square buttons I'd think. o_O

*likes the round buttons*

And I want to get two more computers, one to run the "Linspire" thing on, and one to run Longhorn on.
Don't get Linspire. To install software you need to pay at least $5 a month or $50 a year. You need to install programs through CNR and can't install any other program that isn't on CNR. That's what I heard in the Linux community and I trust them. I think Mandrake has a simular thing as CNR for free, not sure, and you can install other programs as well. I have heard that Mandrake Linux is good for beginners. Linspire Linux is good if you have the money I guess.

aaaaaa
June 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Linspire is garbage.
It used to be called Lindows, and promised to run all Win32 code natively.
Then it turned out to be just another Linux Build with WINE and Openoffice.
Oh yay. That was worth paying for.
I have no reason to beleive under a new name it'll be any better.

Teara
June 27th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Windows XP for meh.

Eh O_O;; Too many computor termz for me...my comp vocabulary dozn't extend nearly far enough to underztand half of you guyz are zaying @_@

~Oh well, I'm armed with and on/off button and dangerouz >XD

Hiroshi Sotomura
June 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Lol...

Anyways, does anyone here use Macs? I've used them as school some, and didn't really like 'em. They seemed almost too simple, like you didn't even need a brain to work 'em. o.o;
Does this answer your Question JKaizer?

http://users.tpg.com.au/lafamily/desktopscreenshots/FirefoxScreenSnapz002.jpg

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 04:03 PM
You-know-where would freeze over before I would pay for a OS that I've never seen before. I have a pirated version downloaded, I just need a system to install it on. ^^;

Does this answer your Question JKaizer?Yes it does in fact. Do you like it is the question now. ;P

aaaaaa
June 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM
You'll be disappointed that you wasted 30 minutes of your life installing it..

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
It's always worth trying out, just to see how differnet it is from the Linux and Windows systems. I can't help but be curious.

And it's not like I couldn't just wipe the HD and install a new OS on it. =/

aaaaaa
June 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM
It's no different to Linux.
$2 says it's just like Lindows.
Debian + WINE + Open Office.

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 04:14 PM
I don't care how similar it is, I just want to see what it's like.

If I don't care for it, I'd just wipe the HD and install XP or something on it.

aaaaaa
June 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM
mmkay *salutes*
Have fun. And when it's done, I'll link you Potato and you can try a REAL flavour of Linux.

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM
You-know-where would freeze over before I would pay for a OS that I've never seen before. I have a pirated version downloaded, I just need a system to install it on. ^^;

Are you talking aboout a pirated Lindows? You know that you can get it for free without it being pirated? They're giving out free Lindows because they're winning against Microsoft in court. Just type free lindows or linspire in Google and you can get a fre non-pirated version of Lindows/Linspire.

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Lol, I won't be doing it for a while. I still need to get the stuff for a simple computer to test it.

I think my dad would kill me if I stole one of the computers in the house... o_O

Sakura and Espeon
June 27th, 2004, 04:54 PM
LOL... you can use VMWare or Virtual PC to install a OS without wiping the HD.

^_^...

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 05:03 PM
LOL... you can use VMWare or Virtual PC to install a OS without wiping the HD.

^_^...
Yeah but that cost I think around $120 to $150. But isn't there a 15-day free trial on VMWare?

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Kip-kip: http://www.linspire.com says it costs money, so I'm assuming that any free version would be a pirated one.

Alyssa: I don't care to have multiple ones. But I think I'm gonna tell my dad about that - that may be the key to getting multiple mail servers. ^^;

Gr8person62.2
June 27th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I'm currently using Micro$oft Windowz which is soo lame. But my family sucks too much to realise that theres betta out there. Too bad for me. This 'puter is runnig XP pro. The one in my room has Mandrake Linux 10. Honestly though, the best OS is Unix. If your cheap then make that a Linux. But I'm always annoyed at Windowz lovers. Just cause it's commercial don't make it good. I have to deal with it everyday, feel my pain people!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: um.. whats with these words that arn't even swear words being blocked? ... meh~

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Kip-kip: http://www.linspire.com says it costs money, so I'm assuming that any free version would be a pirated one.

Alyssa: I don't care to have multiple ones. But I think I'm gonna tell my dad about that - that may be the key to getting multiple mail servers. ^^;
Linspire used to have a special offer that you can get Linspire for free, but I think it's over for now. Here's a link:
http://www.linspire.com/btorder
The cupon code was Lindows. Try it out.

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Lol... it redirects me to:
BitTorrent-Only Isos $49.95

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Lol... it redirects me to:
Yes then click "Apply Coupon" and type in "Lindows" It'll discount full price and then you will need BitTorrent to download it. I just tested it.

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Oh... then maybe I will download a real version of it. xD

Sakura and Espeon
June 27th, 2004, 07:27 PM
It work for me! I won't try downloading it intil I get DSL. My connection is too slow to download it. ;)

Kipkip
June 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM
It work for me! I won't try downloading it intil I get DSL. My connection is too slow to download it. ;)
Don't. JKaizer wants to try out Linspire even after what I said about it.
It's not good from what I heard. This is what I said to JKaizer:
Don't get Linspire. To install software you need to pay at least $5 a month or $50 a year. You need to install programs through CNR and can't install any other program that isn't on CNR. That's what I heard in the Linux community and I trust them. I think Mandrake has a simular thing as CNR for free, not sure, and you can install other programs as well. I have heard that Mandrake Linux is good for beginners. Linspire Linux is good if you have the money I guess.

Sakura and Espeon
June 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM
wow.... 5 dollars a month is alot... ^_^..

Linux is too complicated I guess. I don't know everything about computers though. ;)

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Linux isn't for those really used to Windows.... it's too manual for someone used to the simplicity of Windows.

And I signed up... where's the torrent? o______O

Rukario
June 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM
hmmm i have a copy of lindows.. never installed it tho.. I got mine free, and once it's paid for, (free for me) the applications are included..

anyway.. This comp runs win2k pro, my other boxes run: 2 - win96, 1 win98se, 1 redhat linux 9 (fedora now.. ) and the under construction comp will run win2k pro or win2 advanced server.

Kipkip
June 28th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Wow. A lot of people use Linux here other than me. JKaizer, when you login, go to "My Products" and then to "CD Downloads" and you need bittorent to download it. Then you need an ISO burner such as Nero and make it a bootable cd. Then at startup, you put the CD in.

EDIT: JKaizer, you can be our test dumm..I mean person :nervous: Tell us how Lindows/Linspire is.

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Um..*waves hands*
I could tell you now.
I've used Lindows.
It's all empty promises and making money off someone ELSES hard work.
Charging for Debian + WINE + A modified KDE *should* be criminal.

Kipkip
June 28th, 2004, 04:41 AM
They're charging for WINE and Debain and KDE that is modified. You can do that for free. Just install Debain and WINE. What about Click-n-Run or CNR? I heard that is about $5 a month to install programs?

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 04:47 AM
I know you can do that for free, thats my point.
This click n run bullcrap is just like apt-get, EXCEPT THEY MAKE YOU PAY FOR IT!
Got BS? I know they do.

Mudkip84
June 28th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I used to have 98 on my IBM, it was slow and it crashes alot. I kept getting blue screens of death.

When I got XP, it was better. ^_^

I know...

I`m getting ME in two weeks
I used to have XP until I gave that to my brother and I got his Stupid computer....
Why!!

ASG
June 28th, 2004, 12:35 PM
well i have a windows XP home edition(sp) and that's all.

PGN
June 28th, 2004, 12:50 PM
All the computers in my house...
Computer Near Kitchen:
Mandrake Linux
Computer in living room:
Windows XP
Computer in my room: Mac OS X and on a partition of the drive Yellow Dog Linux
My Laptop: Mac OS X
*Computer in my dad's room #1:
Mac OS 8 or something
*Computer in my dad's room #2:
Windows 98

*Used for spare parts only

Sakura and Espeon
June 28th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Don't get Windows Me!!!! Windows Me is very unstable and it will crash alot. Don't get it or you will get blue screens every 20-30 min when you try to do something.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Windows ME is the WORST OS out there. I pity ANYONE that has to deal with such a crappy OS.

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Give me Windows 95 OSR2, anyday! ^_^

Sakura and Espeon
June 28th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Windows 95 is pretty old, and also the same...

9x series is not very stable. I perfer Windows NT instead of 9x. ^_^

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM
You've clearly never used Windows 95 OSR2, nor NT3.5 :P

95OSR2 was brilliant, stable, lean and responsive.
Windows NT 3.5, and to a degee, 4.0, were bloated and almost unusable in the pursuit of stability.

Sakura and Espeon
June 28th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I have used Windows 95 in the past. That was a very long time ago. It's very bland and boring..

and unstable sometimes.....

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Windows 95, yes.
Windows95 OSR2 (Never sold commercially, only available OEM just before 98 came out), no.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Never heard of Win95 OS2. >_>

Was it more stable than 98?

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM
OSR2? **** yeah. Windows 98 SE was the closest the 9x series ever got to being as great as 95OSR2 again

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
FIgures. They make a newer version more unstable. Gotta love Micosoft. <3