PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a mod! um... I don't know why...

Romance Hero
November 12th, 2007, 11:59 PM
A lot of people here say they want to join the staff, become a moderator,or an admin. My question is, "Why?" Why is it you want to become a mod? Is it the power? the desire to help others? Just the title? Or best of all... a different colored Username? xD

Let's get some solid answers here, don't just say "I want to help people" In a robotic voice. And let your true intentions be shown. Try your best to be honest.

As for me, I wanted to be a moderator for the poetry section, because as most people know, I have a passion for poetry, and it sucks to see it so inactive. There is so much creativity, and it's never revealed to others. No other particular reason. I've thought about the powers, but they're not my primary priority.

Hakeen
November 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM
For most people, I think it'd be attention. Popularity. ect.

I doubt many people at PC want to actually help out. Well, the n00bs wouldn't, but actually, most members that aren't attention crazy would.

Actually, I can't even really see why people would want attention on a forum like this when there is like, the world.

Jubilation
November 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't mind being a Mod as people would know me

Romance Hero
November 13th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't mind being a Mod as people would know me

These are the answers I specifically asked not to be uttered. :/ Otherwise, it'd just be a copy ot this thread. (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112920)

Memory
November 13th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Probably mostly for attention and power for a lot of people, who are ignorant of the work and time it would take out of their lives to become a mod. Like if they're a mod, that makes them "better" than everyone else, and that if they're a mod they are invincible. XD; yeah, no. There's also that spiffy steel coloured username that everyone just adores.

Tangerine Fox
November 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I think you're right -- a lot of people want the name, rank, and popularity. But, modding can hard work!

I don't know if I'd want to mod here, like, right now, but I generally like it. I mod another forum, smaller than PC, of course, but I find it enjoyable. I'm decently tech-savvy and good at staying neutral when needed, even if friends are involved, so I like using those skills to help other forum members.

I'm something of a mother hen and like teaching folks "the ropes," too, and here the rank is usually helpful because they seem to think "Nice + Rank = I'll listen to them" and get a good start. And then we get more happy members, instead of cat fights, and all is right with our small digital world. =D

The weird thing about PC to me is the "mini-modding" -- I'd never heard the term and it's never once been an issue at the other forum, no other members "modding," just helping out. I try really hard not to see like a "mini-mod." |3 I don't mind being a normal member anywhere but these one forums...you can't delete your own posts if you accidentally double click, so you look like an idiot until a regional mod can fix it. :|

Nuke
November 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I don't really care.

It'd be nice to be staff at a highly reputation site like this.

But I'm staff on enough sites.

Sammi
November 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM
These are the answers I specifically asked not to be uttered. :/ Otherwise, it'd just be a copy ot this thread. (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112920)

...how would it be a copy...? I'm kind of really lost. o_O;;

Well, I'm still a mod becuase, quite frankly, I like being able to find rule-breaking threads and take care of them myself instead of having to report it and wait. I'm such an impatient person. XD;; Oddly enough, I don't enjoy warning people so much, it's the technical part of it that I love. The 'popularity' and people looking up or down at me I wouldn't miss so much, and it'd take time for me to adjust to having a not-orange username after having one for a year and a half. But that's not the main reason I want to mod. :x

PLatinumUser
November 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I wouldnt want to be a mod, i dont like dealing with stuff like that

Warheart
November 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I have a feeling that...this thread is just Eric's cry out for attention without directly asking to be a Mod xD

If I was going to Mod a section it would be "Other Entertainment," but it makes more sense to have Careful with that axe, Pichu (Forget his new username xD) covering that with his bad-ass orange username. Plus in the last MotM you all had him with more knowledge of music than me, which about 2/3 of the threads in that section are made up of xD

Um, I never really thought of wanting to become a mod until a while ago when Marz got his position, because y'know..I'm really just that much cooler than him, and would only want it to rival his awesomeness <_<

xD Um, I know it's probably an irritating position to have with the new floods of newbs that seem to just slowly take over every thread, but it would be cool to be modded. I never brought it up with anyone before, mostly because I..don't kiss ass (Like certain other people <_<) in order to get noticed by staff, so if it ever happens, I would be up for it, but I'm not gonna..beg people for it, or report every other post I notice xD

Lilith
November 13th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Everyone wishes they had an uber kewl blue username yush

I think it's for the fame or superiority or getting da ban stick... But there are some that enjoy helping or have a certain passion for something cough.

Me, I don't know. Fame would be nice but I'm pretty tired of sending a lot of reports and feel like just doing it myself to lift some of that burden from staff... But I'd probably never be a mod here since I get enough burdens from home and school. Dx

Ausaudriel
November 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Everyone wishes they had an uber kewl blue username yush

I think it's for the fame or superiority or getting da ban stick...
Well actually, moderators can't ban. You get that power as a super moderator or higher. :P

As for me, well, very much the same reasons as Sammi. I like being able to take care of things as I see them instead of reporting them and waiting for it to happen. (Plus I like having a hand, even a small one, in policies and things that go on in running the community.)

Jaimes
November 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
If I did want to mod anywhere, it would be the tcg section. Its not exactly showing of since nobody else seems to use it, but I am really quite knowledgeable about the game, playing, collecting and the current metagame.

Loyal Arcanine
November 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm a global moderator at another Pokemon forum, Pokemon Elite 2000. The pluspoints include that you can solve problems yourself immediately when they arise. I also can't deny that it's nice that at some stage a decision has to be made, and you take it and that's how it happens. Obviously I always try to take such decisions with as much reason as possible. Negative things would be that I get annoyed over PMs like "move this thread" or really silly requests. Also I don't like having to deal out punishments to people I like. The admin there has had one of my friends banned for a long time now, which I'm really dissappointed about.

I wouldn't want to mod here though. I'm not really active enough, so it would be no use.

Azonic
November 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Probably for more popularity. I've never known or got near popular in my school D:

Oh yea, and I always want to close threads. Its so . . . addicting 8D

And help ppl

Inept Prodigy
November 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think that most people want it because they want power. I know some people who became staff and became somewhat corrupt, before they were fun. Some people want it for attention, I really don't know why though. Rarely, people would want to help others and contribute to the forums. Personally, I don't really care about becoming staff. If I had to give a reason though, I like dealing punishments to spammers and trolls and I don't mind being strict. I don't mind being the mean one, as I am at another place. You also wouldn't have to wait for the staff to come because you could warn them yourself.

Jack O'Neill
November 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Most people want to join the staff out of popularity or because they're tempted by the power it can give them. Am I the only one who sincerely wants to help the forum?

I don't care if I become unpopular. I don't care if my actions appear to be totalitarian. Just drown out the n00bs, ignore their insipid queries, and disregard their futile demands. Just carry on with what must be done, for the greater good of the community.

Scales
November 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'd want the authority. Since I would want to have the ability to stop n00bs before they begin to spam the forum. Plus of course there is fame with being a moderator. I wouldn't mind knowing more people on this board.

Anyway I have moderated on other forums before. It does get kind of tiring after a while. People coming to you all the time with questions or favors.

♥~*Abby*~♥
November 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I wanted to be a mod of this section, (OVP) the PRP section, and the OC section because I visit there the most and I like power. :3

Shiny Umbreon
November 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Unoriginal, but, as Ausaudriel and Sammi said, I like the ability of taking care of things myself. If I got demoted, I'd report everything I saw, but I'd be impatient if they didn't just closed that spammy thread right away. (Though I'm late sometimes, too) But, aside from that, I like to organize the D/P forum a bit, too. People got scammed everyday so that cloning rule solved the problem. That event list helped people recognize unreal events (I know it's not perfect, but still). I sometimes feel too strict but I prefer to be that way.
`
AND THE COLORED USERNAME MATCHED WITH MY UMBREON THEME

Anti
November 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I have been asking this to myself for quite awhile. I realize my evil temper probably means no mod for me, but we can all dream, yes? Actually, I still don't know if I'd accept in the event I was offered the position. Despite how I seem, I despise attention, so that would kinda stink.

I mean, I actually do like to help out and I sure hate reporting threads when I want to take care of things myself. I mean, the colored username WOULD rock ;) But seriously, I'd just like to keep order. and help when necessary. Not too much else. Still, being a normal member is very fun.

Astinus
November 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Like Ausaudriel, Sammi, and Shiny Umbreon before me, I'm glad to be a staff because I can take care of the problems I see in my section without having to work through another person. I've always wanted to help PFF, and I did so in my own little ways before I got this funky blue user name.

Plus, I love this forum with most of my heart. This is my favorite forum to be on, and I'm glad that now I'm staff, I can help this forum even more. Liking this forum before I became a staff member helped out a lot. I don't look at coming here as a job, like other moderators I know on other forums see it. I just see myself as a regular member with a few more powers.

You really shouldn't want power just to be popular. That's the worst reason to want power. :< It's like politics. (I'll stop talking about history now...)

Erick
November 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM
How the **** I can be a mod?!?!?!?!

Hehe, I don't know for a best Community, and I like to be different Color, hehehe

Jordan
November 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I myself thinks that the Pokemon Strategies and Movesets needs some cleaning up. Hardly any mod comes to the section anymore (besides Smarty). Popularity and power? Nah not so much as S&M crying out for help.

Jordan.

Nacon
November 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Romance Hero..... if you have the time and dedication involved... I think you could do it.... you definitely are passionate about writing, so I could totally see you being more than the Watchman of that section... you know.. giving feedback and whatnot...

and Shiny Umbreon... you were the first Mod I saw in these forums as I lingered more in the Diamond and Pearl Section of the forum... (I started in here solely for trading, and as the weeks went by, I met more and more very chill and down to Earth people, so I decided to get more involved).... you're strict, but not in an evil way... you gotta do what you gotta do... even in the few threads you've locked on me, I didn't take offense.. I sent you a PM to make sure I wouldn't do it again and make your life a bit easier.... that post you made saved me from getting ripped off the first couple times I did trades in forums in general, and I have it book marked as a quick reference tool... aside from that I use Marriland's pokedex to doublecheck stats and whatever is immediately visible... I hate scammers, and I especially dislike liars.. so I'd try to do my part as a regular member to counter them in a mature, civilized manner...

yea... I do report from time to time, and I do fail at making "different" threads, seeing how some of them end up being too similar to others, and you know what... at least you guys do something about keeping this place organized and easy to navigate.

I used to be a member of Talkbass forums, Eidos forums, and the Stikfanatics asylum,Psypokes, and a few others along the way... and this one has, I think, the best environment... sure it's not the most educational, and I do tend to be one of the older guys in it, but it's definitely a fun forum with more than simply pokemon.... it's a community, too! ... first one where I use my Internet name (my main digital "ego", so to speak) as a username... haha.

Totally true about this being about politics... over at my university... I'm the Elections Board Chair... I deal in local elections and elections within the university... it's a very tedious job, but I haven't gotten any wrinkles or greys over it, and I've held the position with the same passion I entered it with about 2 1\2 years ago.... and in politics... power can become a drug... but as addicting as it can get is as hard as the fallout can be... and I learned never to bite more than I can chew...

I wouldn't mind offering a hand in being a mod, but the one key problem I have is the lack of steady volunteer hours as I am a full-time college student that also needs to be making money on the side...

if you guys already got the power, keep up the good work. I've yet to meet a Mod over here that I felt was getting on my nerves by being abusive with the priveleges\power that they have over here.

Kylie-chan
November 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Lol, as a past-AA, I'm not sure if my answer is entirely valid anymore. ;[ But I don't care; you're getting it, anyway.

I used to want to be a mod for the status it brought; I'll be honest. It's sort of hard for me to think back to that, because I was modded in, like... March 2005? I don't remember. It was during the second presidential elections, I think. But I also hated seeing the losers running rampant in something that pretty much formed my whole social life once, and I wanted to get rid of them. I didn't like just reporting and waiting for ages -- there were so few mods on in my timezone, anyway, compared to the middle of the day. I was so excited when I got offered mod position that I think it was Karli who told me to go get a bucket before I threw up. XD;;;

Now? I don't want to be a mod anymore. It was fun, yes, and the good things were... good. But it was stressful, and I stopped caring so much -- I found other things to do, and I saw a lot of my good friends quit and/or leave, and I saw all these people I didn't like at all begin to show up prominently. It seemed like the forum was getting colder and not like it used to be [because I'm one of those horrible members you hear about who HAET CHANGE and only come here to whine about them lawl]. I began hanging around less; I stopped doing things. Then some stuff happened and I got fired. And I've looked back about twice. XP It's really just peaceful to be a member. I used to go very over the top with my staffing; I was constantly here, stalking threads, stalking troublemakers, and I think I must have edited 20470574004+ signatures per month.

How the **** I can be a mod?!?!?!?!

Hehe, I don't know for a best Community, and I like to be different Color, hehehe

Not by swearing or evading the censors or even pretending to swear. And not by asking. There's a FAQ article about it; if it's for some reason not there, basically just hang around, establish yourself, don't get on people's nerves, don't be obsequious [because suck-ups get mocked], obey the rules, make yourself useful by reporting things that need fixing or to be dealt with, don't mini-mod, be friendly, stay active on the forums, and generally make yourself stand out the good way, not by causing trouble or showing off or whatever. If you stand out in a particular area and a place for moderating opens up there, you might get considered and voted upon.

Melody
November 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
You know, When I think about it long and hard I want to be mod for so many reasons. Not for the power or the username color...Those are just minor benefeits that arent worth striving for.
I only want to be a mod because like some of the people who have posted before me I want to do things myself. I care about this community a lot even though I dont post much. I'm not crazy nor am I sucking up to anyone to be honest. I dont want mod for what I get out of it. I just want the chance to be able to help the community. What kills me is that people mock me for that. XP Not a soul here on PC really belives I care. So, In a way, I also want to be a mod so I can prove to everyone I do care. Because it seems anything I do or say right now isnt enough.

Another reason I want to be a mod is because I dont see many mods online when I'm on. I know that if I could handle even a fraction of all the reports that are sent while I'm online that I'd make life easier for another moderator later on.

But, Even though I have all those reasons for wanting to be a mod...I dont expect it to be handed to me either. I just hope that maybe someday I'll get a chance to show PC that I do care.

kohei
November 14th, 2007, 04:01 AM
The thread was meaty in content and I took my time, skipping through the contents.

If I were to be a mod, I would drown in power. Yes, power on an internet forum, which we all know is so serious, because the internet is serious business.

Randall Raichu
November 14th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Almost everyones is going to be the same. Popularity! For me it would have to be because I hate seeing people do stupid stuff and instead of having to wait and see something happen, I can fix it. Or tell them what not to do. Its hard coming to this site though when I've been mods, super mods, and even admins on other sites. I guess I have always been drawn to this site.....I don't know why.

Binary
November 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I wanna be a mod because,
I want to help PC and make the people follow rules.
I care for this community and I want people to really respect this place,
Ofcourse you get the flashy colors and popularity, but thats not it,
Being a mod/admin would be keeping th community safe, and making sure people follow the rules, ya ive spammed sometimes(Thats by accident)
If i was a mod, it would be fun-like most mods dont even care about anything and come like once in a month to visit this place and some even dont do there jobs properly, so all i wanna do is to Keep this place fun and a safe place where people follow the rules and have fun.

Scytheteen
November 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I think I'd like to be a mod because of the power. Locking threads, handing out warnings...

And being able to kick Sammi's butt in a modertor duel!

Forest Grovyle
November 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
PC has been a part of my life for years now, and it's a great privelege to be able to help out with reports. :) I get fun and satisfaction from doing it, have met a lot of lovely people along the way and feel like I'm making a real contribution.

I don't think I am "famous" here at all, but that's not a factor for me. XD

--FG

Romance Hero
November 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
PC has been a part of my life for years now, and it's a great privelege to be able to help out with reports. :) I get fun and satisfaction from doing it, have met a lot of lovely people along the way and feel like I'm making a real contribution.

I don't think I am "famous" here at all, but that's not a factor for me. XD

--FG

Famous?! I'm working on a 4 hour oekaki xD

Is everyone here doing it mostly for glory?(except for a said few)

Shiny Umbreon
November 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I didn't. And I didn't receive any glory either.... Just more PMs....

Waffle-San
November 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Why do I want to be a mod, well I guess there's a couple reason's besides having a sweet coloured username.
For me their's only on eplace I'd actually want to be modded in and that here in OVP (which Audy has perfectley taken care of). It's my favourite forum and I think it'd be nice to have a voice.
Of course it being my favourite forum means I love it and it truly frustrates me when I see someone abusing the rules in here. I love the polls and the different personalities and such but I hate it when people go to far.

That and everyone's cool here, I don't have to deal with a bunch of morons.

Myoko-chan
November 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I would want to be a mod so I can take care of things myself instead of reporting. (Yea and the colored username is kinda cool too.)
Simple Enough. ._.

Snivi
November 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I was a mod at one time but now I am too lazy so I wouldn't even want responsibilities on the forum.

Iceman3k
November 15th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I never really considered thinking of being a mod. But now that you bring it up, I'd probably only want to moderate in the Strategies & Movesets area (Since I don't see aragornbird to storm teams to death anymore :()

But since I know in my right mind that that kind of thing won't happen...

Razer302
November 15th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I would want to be a MOD to help out the nooby members that don't know the rules fully. The community is good so I also want to keep that going and not get people messing it up for the other members.
The new colour isn't important to me. It is easier to lose than to gain and I don't want more people to talk to me because I am a MOD.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
November 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I use to want to be a mod but there are too many responsibilities. I'm good at finding errors and warning people but don't want to Mod. Another reason why I wanted to become one is because there names are in different colors which I would want mines to be Purple

:t354:TG

Virtual Headache
November 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure whether I'd actually want to be a mod here.
I'm a mod at another forum and I think once you become a mod, you kinda lose a bit of freedom. You've got be more careful to make sure you don't break ANY rules since you are supposed to set an example.
And even if you try to do your best to be a good mod, there will always be people who'll be unhappy with what you do (and send you "nice" PMs filled with asterisks xD)
It's just a lot easier if all you've got to about a bad post is to report it and wait for the mods to take care of it instead of dealing with it on your own.

Now back to the actual question: Why would one want to be a mod?
First of all, the different username color just makes you stand out a little bit. You might probably get a bit more popular (doesn't always have to be the case, but there is a chance) and you can take care of things yourself instead of using the report button and...you can see the mod forum xD

Concerning myself, I think blue is cool username color and I'd just love to see what the mod forum looks like :D
And the take care of stuff instead of reporting it is a factor for me aswell^^

lonewolfx44
November 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
To be a mod is to watch over the threads and correct every single grammar error. :3

Well not really, but eh. I was an admin on the forums for a German game company when I was 14... maybe because I forged my age and I was very respectable there and not as weird then as I am now. I did my duties... errr dutifully. But, alas, I took a leave of absence for an entire month without notifying them and my admin status went to MODERATOR oh noes :(. So, I learn, to be an admin is to be responsible to your daily, or at least once every two days-ly duties.

EDIT: Oh Yes, I accidently deleted a 100 page thread except the one post which was offensive >.< . I am not that stupid anymore, but all the forum controls were too much for my 14-year-old-pubescent brain. OMG HORMONES.

Alter Ego
November 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM
I covet the PM box.

Honestly, that is the best benefit a person can get on these forums. My PMs are always full to near full so I have to go and delete on a nearly daily basis. >.<

That aside, I'm one of the impatient people. Silly though it sounds, I'm really fond of certain sections on these forums so when I see people abusing them I tend to get overly emotional about it. Just pressing 'report' and waiting patiently for someone else to sort it out is just...argh, it grates on my nerves. x.x Plus, being able to see stealth-mode members and having a pretty username would always be fun. Oh, and getting full authority to tell people off for not following the rules too. Aaand...I'll have to say that the 'popularity' thing would actually be a downside for me. I mean, it wouldn't be me the people like; it would be my fancy-colored username and (pardon the cynicism) their hopes of obtaining one for themselves. I prefer proper friends over popularity, to be honest, and as a staff member it would be hard to tell whether the person genuinely wants to be friends or is just looking to mooch. xP

That being said, I don't think I'm really moderator material. I'm way too impatient with n00bs (Fully seconding Jack's proposal to drown them) and tend to put things harsher than I should, which inflames situations rather than easing them. >.< Yeah, as much as the lack of authority irks me, I'm probably better off as a regular ranting forumite. Besides, if Smarties' reactions to the PMs he's getting are anything to go by, I'm spared a lot of headaches this way. Sometimes it's a relief to just report and say 'not my problem'. ;D

Lily
November 21st, 2007, 08:10 AM
I covet the PM box.

Honestly, that is the best benefit a person can get on these forums. My PMs are always full to near full so I have to go and delete on a nearly daily basis. >.<

I agree with him 100%. The enlarged PM box is a godsend.

If I wanted to be a mod...Well, suppose you're generally being yourself, helping people, posting, and to be suddenly awarded the position without a prior warning--it feels nice to be recognized. Not for the power, but for your abilities and what you can do for PC.

Chikara
November 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM
When they changed the color of the mods to pretty blue, I wanted to be one a little, but then I got this purple username. I did wanna be one just because like 2 years ago, but that went away quick.

Right now I'm content with the purple username so yay <3

Horizon
November 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
The main reasons why I'd like to be a mod on here one day is due to the staisfcation that my hard work as a good member has reached a pinnacle, and that I have earned enough respect to be bestowed with Modship.

I'd like to end up being a mod of Stategies and Movesets, or the Wireless Battle Stadium/Trade Centre. I usually spend all my time hanging around there, which is why I havent got many posts.

But I know that's not gonna happen in the forseeable future. Someday...

lonewolfx44
November 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
The main reasons why I'd like to be a mod on...

But I know that's not gonna happen in the forseeable future. Someday...

Don't every say something like that again, you shoot yourself in the foot as a potential candidate :P. I became an admin all of a sudden because of my upstanding behavior and dedication, just do that and SHOW NO AMBITION.

PS. I have heartburn

Soul Eater
November 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
I used to want it when i was kind of n00bish. Now I dont because its hard work and I'm not that devoted to PC. I have other things in life that require attention and I cant keep my attention on PC if i am a mod.

Ayce
November 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
No, I don't fantasize about being a mod, never have, not active or interested enough to be one in any case.

Souless
November 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Actually by the time I joined here I didn't tought of becoming staff , I just was "that other member"

I don't think I would like to become Staff, I have a lots of things to do (school, friends, family ^^), and actually mods need to take of their time to use it here ^^

If I ever get an offer (really diffucult thing quite impossible by the way xD) I would take it and see if I can deal with it, if not I would simply quit =]

Why? Bolded blue username Because instead of seeing other people take care of problems it would be better to take care of them by myself (and also the lock button is so atracting, just kidding :))

And continue using the warning button to stop spammers and give more work to mods ^^ Two birds in one shot