PDA

View Full Version : GMail

aRedMoon
June 27th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Has anyone else managed to get an account? I got one just tonight and totally by chance. XD

The gig storage will be nice I guess, but I personally don't like the interface... >_> It's a LOT like the normal google page... kinda freaky in a way. =/

If someone would like, I'll attach a screen of what it looks like.

Gr8person62.2
June 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Yea sure GMail might be cool 'n all because of it's size.. but if you really don't need it, don't use it. Google have the worst privacy concerns on the internet. In other words, pretty much all your E-Mail will be kept by google on their servers for many a decade.Look at this webpage (http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/) and you'll never use GMail again.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Seen it all. And I don't intend to use GMail all that much - but it will make a good way to send files. ;P

And the interface is quite ugly, as I mentioned.

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah, had GMail for a little while.
Not much use to me, cause I don't use email seriously.
But hey, the bragging rights are nice.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 12:39 AM
There really isn't all that much to use e-mail for at all anymore. Most can be done on IM, which is quick and simple. =/

aaaaaa
June 28th, 2004, 12:46 AM
I use email for signing up to forums.
And given I have like..20 email addresses from my ISP, I think I have that covered XD

Gr8person62.2
June 28th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Yea it's true. I havn't sent an E-Mail in over 2 years now *awaits amazement* hrmmm.. yea. I have recieved a few to confirm my signing up to stuff. Thats all. E-Mail is useless. All my friends and family that I talk to are on IMs all day long, and get this, theres this telephone invention.

Flaming Torchic
June 28th, 2004, 04:45 AM
I have heard of gmail, and I am sort of interested in getting it, since it has A LOT of room to store your emails. I heard that you need to get linked to it by someone who uses it to be able to get it for yourself, though. The only reason why I would want it, is because I get TONS of emails everyday, and I always have to delete them.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 07:04 AM
What service do you use FT?

And if my invite thinger ever shows up, I'll send out some invites.

Flaming Torchic
June 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM
What service do you use FT?

And if my invite thinger ever shows up, I'll send out some invites.

I am using hotmail right now. >_< Unfortunately, it has a limit on how many PMs you can have, so I have to delete them often. @_@ Besides, if I don't then all of my important emails may get hidden in the less important ones.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 08:21 AM
That's when you put them in folders. XD

And Hotmail is upgrading soon, like Yahoo! already did. =/

Porygon
June 28th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Eh. I use Cheat Code Central's Email service more often than anything else. W00t for underdogs.

Plus, I hate Google, anyway ^.-

Frostweaver
June 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM
<= Gmail owner ;p

Yay lol the 2nd topic that I know what it is about in the entire computer forum... ._.; But either way... I will be using Gmail a lot (well when school starts again). Yes there's that privacy concern and I actually read about that, but then who cares if Gmail is going to look at my school projects...? As if it matters much... the nice thing about Gmail is that you can mail school projects among classmates very easily instead of carrying a CD around with you all the time. Gmail is certainly not very reliable in terms of storing private and important messages, but for sending something big yet irrelevant across the internet (like stupid social study powerpoint presentations and what not), it is certainly very useful imho.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Well, with the recent upgrades, Hotmail and Yahoo! will allow you to attach those too. =/

Though, with GMail, you will be able to store them longer than on Yahoo! or Hotmail I guess then.

Sakura and Espeon
June 28th, 2004, 09:54 AM
I will stick with my POP3 email ([email protected] is pretty long though.) but it suits my needs. ^_^

Kairi
June 28th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I like many others rarely use emailand I dislike web-based email even more. So this doesnt really appeal to me, but itd be nice to have an invite because then I could offer it to people and theyd love me. X3

And I dont care about privacy; if they want to see my laundry help themselves, Ill never know so itll never hurt me.

Frostweaver
June 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Well, with the recent upgrades, Hotmail and Yahoo! will allow you to attach those too. =/

Though, with GMail, you will be able to store them longer than on Yahoo! or Hotmail I guess then.

Riiiiight... one week worth of school and there goes 25% of Yahoo's space (25mb worth of homework junk per week)... and when it's near exam time, I don't want to start another 5 email accounts like what I did this year ([email protected].. homeworkfileb@hotma... and so on up to e)

Plus big deal that they're looking at a powerpoint presentation with the events of World War 1 listed... you can find stuff like that anywhere anyway.

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
25 MB a week? X_X

I'm lucky if I went through that my entire school year. Apologies.

I dislike web-based email even morePOP3 is nice and all, but it does help to be able to check web-based e-mail anywhere in the world, whereas POP3 you have to check it on one computer if you want to keep all your e-mails.

Chairman Kaga
June 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Eh, all email sucks. Despite all the spam protection they promise I still get like 600 spams a day...I've given up on email accounts, really. All I ever do now is create one, sign up for a forum, get the activation letter, and never go to it again. And I'm definitely not going to sign up at gmail if they're just going to let random people sign up right now, and I doubt if I was ever able to sign up it'd be any better than yahoo or hotmail =/

Kairi
June 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah frosty is in a very prestigious school, they take too much of his time doing big projects like that. ;_; He actually does have gmail though, miracles happen. How something that was given out in small quantities to reports circulated its way to a lil Asian boy with no knowledge of technology is truly amazing. ;p *pokes him*

aRedMoon
June 28th, 2004, 01:50 PM
If you get a buddy with it, they may invite you. oo;

I got mine by visiting an old board I used to be real active at. XD

And Chairman Kaga, if you don't give out the e-mail anywhere, then you don't have to worry about it. ^^; *has a spam free e-mail*

But my original e-mail... before I knew what SPAM was... I get at least 100 a day. x.x;

Geometric-sama
July 2nd, 2004, 05:03 AM
Oh god... you know how much I want Gmail? o_O I've been trying to find a way to get an account for months, but no luck... I found Spymac (www.spymac.com) which also offers a gig storage, but it's not particularly reliable.

pokeknight
July 2nd, 2004, 06:26 AM
well! i hadn't been able to sign up but i guess it might not be so bad!

Kairi
July 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Ill keep you in mind J_A if I ever run into an invite, which would be rare but meh. ^_^;

aRedMoon
July 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
If I can get away with it, I'll send my invites out to you guys. =/

Geometric-sama
July 4th, 2004, 04:31 AM
How many invites do you have? Thanks Greggy, Abby ^^

aRedMoon
July 4th, 2004, 09:22 AM
I should be getting 3-5 invites. But they appear randomly, so I dunno when or if I'll even get them. XD

Thomas
July 6th, 2004, 12:47 AM
OMG!!! How are all of you getting GMAIL!!! I have been searching and asking around for weeks!! I have been really wanting one since it came out! I dont understand how you get them.

aRedMoon
July 6th, 2004, 01:38 AM
You have to get a invite from someone that already has a GMail account. And I've also heard you can buy them on eBay.

Gr8person62.2
July 6th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Wait, wait!! If you need an invite.. then how did the people who get to invite other get an account in the first place? Was it a first come first serve service? Kinda childish for google..

aaaaaa
July 6th, 2004, 05:20 AM
It's beta.
I figured everyone knew that.

aRedMoon
July 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Certain people got it, I dunno how. And then they got their invites, spread it around, then more invites, etc.

Frostweaver
July 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Those who uses Blogger gets the first gmail accounts. Then they can invite people through their accounts... yeah I got 6 on my hands and I don't even know who to give it to O.o; Is it really *that* hard to get gmail considering that everyone from school (who I was trying to offer gmail accounts) already have a "few" gmail accounts? Rare maybe, but buying them on ebay sounds a bit exaggerated...

Kairi
July 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
You have 6 invites? O_o; J_A still needs one I believe. And you just have to have connection, which you obviously do. =P

TRIFORCE89
July 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
My uncle has a GMail account. I'm going to contacting him soon via email, but not for that. Maybe I'll get an invite in the process.

Geometric-sama
July 7th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Can someone send me an invite? The email address I use is [email protected] if you need that o_O

Imakuni?
July 7th, 2004, 07:34 AM
i have gmail. my adress is [email protected]

Geometric-sama
July 11th, 2004, 03:43 AM
*AARGH* I *still* want Gmail. And I still haven't got an invite. Please??? *looks at GMail users with Bambi eyes*

aRedMoon
July 11th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I wonder if you have to recieve/send a certain ammount before you get your invites... ~_~

I still haven't gotten mine, but if I get 'em I'll send to you JA.

Imakuni?
July 15th, 2004, 04:33 PM
i got mine from kyle (yeah. kyletech)

samu
July 15th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I have one~! [email protected]

Ive used it forr sending beatmania MP3s to people and such XD!!

I havent recieved any gmail invites though~~

aRedMoon
July 15th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Still no invites... ~_~

And I don't really like it... takes so long to load after you log-in. >>;

Geometric-sama
July 19th, 2004, 09:43 PM
LOL. Hm. Frosty, do you have any spare invites left?

RAYQVASA
July 26th, 2004, 03:09 AM
who has e-mail?if any girl has e-mail please report it

RAYQVASA
July 26th, 2004, 03:17 AM
what's gmail?can anyone tell me?

Destructo
July 26th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Once Another Crunk Rule FOR RAYQVASA: No dubs to ta post.

Imakuni?
July 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM
you get invites from blogger

Geometric-sama
July 26th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I finally got an invite! XD Off Frosty! Yay! Props to Frosty! Let us all worship him... or something XD

aRedMoon
July 26th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Eh, congrats there JA. ;P

I haven't logged into my GMail account in like 3 weeks... >_>;;

Strider
August 1st, 2004, 01:16 AM
I managed to get hold of one a while back. The 1 gigs of space is definitely a nice features. There might be some privacy issues involved, but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Geometric-sama
August 1st, 2004, 04:35 AM
I like it ^^. I can't wait until it goes public... I just thought of a username that I'm desperate to get before anyone else does...

thelastmen
August 7th, 2004, 06:43 PM
can someone send me a invite please my e-mail is [email protected]

PGN
August 8th, 2004, 02:20 AM
awww...It sounds so good!
Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any invites!

Geometric-sama
August 8th, 2004, 04:49 AM
I don't have any yet... first two are promised to two of my RL friends...

aRedMoon
August 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM
awww...It sounds so good!
Please e-mail me at pgn_webmaster if you have any invites!
You forgot the @domain.com :P

PGN
August 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
You forgot the @domain.com :P

Whoops...XD...added!

shadowman321
August 9th, 2004, 11:08 PM
can some1 send me an invite? id really apreciate it. my email is [email protected]

aaaaaa
August 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Alright, this is becoming a beg-a-thon.
From now on, this is to discuss Gmail.
People keep asking for invites, I'll have to close this.

TeamRocket
August 13th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I have GMail! My gmail addy is [email protected]

aRedMoon
August 13th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Stop advertising your e-mails and asking for invites.

It's annoying as all get out!

aaaaaa
August 13th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Yeah :\
I'm gonna agree here and close this.
This thread has had its fun, but now its just bragging and begging.