PDA

View Full Version : Pull the Plug?

♥~*Abby*~♥
November 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Wow, this must be one of the more depressing topics... ~_~

Oh well.

A discussion I was having with someone earlier today inspired this...

Let's say you were on life support. Would you want your loved ones to "pull the plug" in case you don't already know...

yes/pull the plug=takes you off life support

no/don't pull the plug=leaves you on life support

Nuke
November 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Never.

I dont want to hurt my family or die while I still have a fighting chance.

Loyal Arcanine
November 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Never.

I dont want to hurt my family or die while I still have a fighting chance.
But what if you don't have a fighting chance? I think that's the point she's trying to make.

Amoeba
November 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Well, I'm the sort of person who likes to let nature take its course. I take medical treatment when I need it but I have a limmit on how much treatment I want to recieve.

Of course, I wouldn't have a say because I would be totally unconcious. But if I had no chance of a full recovery, if I were to end up a vegetable or brain damaged, crippled, or on a life-long dependancy of pharmeceutical drugs, I wouldn't want to live.

Nuke
November 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I see.

Well still never I'd rather have a few more minutes to live and say goodbye properly to my family/friends.

♥~*Abby*~♥
November 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, time to be more specific. I mean if you had like, a 10-20 percent chance of surviving. Anyways, time to answer my own question...

People may think my answer would be yes, knowing me. Well actually, it's no. And a very strong NO at that. I even told my mom that if I was on life support I would want her to take me off, partially because dying because my family removed me from life support is the LAST way I'd want to die.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
November 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
No I won't want them to pull the plug because I heard that there are people that been on life support for 6 years and woke up one day so nope

:t354:TG

Scytheteen
November 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Of course I would never want the plug to be pulled, but sometime or another, it must be pulled

Nuke
November 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Ok, time to be more specific. I mean if you had like, a 10-20 percent chance of surviving. Anyways, time to answer my own question...

People may think my answer would be yes, knowing me. Well actually, it's no. And a very strong NO at that. I even told my mom that if I was on life support I would want her to take me off, partially because dying because my family removed me from life support is the LAST way I'd want to die.

10-20% chance.

Definately a no from me then.

♥~*Abby*~♥
November 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM
10-20% chance.

Definately a no from me then.

Oh wait, typo, I mean a 25-40 percent chance.

Nuke
November 17th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Definately, Definately a no to pulling the plug then.

President Showaddywaddy
November 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Any life, even if it has a small chance of continuing, is still a life.

So I would never pull t'plug

Scytheteen
November 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM

True but, you can't just leave a useless body taking up a hospital bed for months now can you?

Spaekle Oddberry
November 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
It is actually one of my worst fears that I'll be on life support one day, just suffering to death, but my idiotic relatives think it's better for me to go out 'naturally' because they'd feel mean for pulling the plug on me. If I were in that situation, I'd want to go out the easy way. And if you ask me, that is the natural death, because suffering to death strapped to a machine probably isn't the way nature intended. If I stay on life support, I'd just be using up money and resources to keep myself lying around doing nothing productive, and at that point there's really no point to me being alive anyway. And it has to be looked into that, if I did survive, what exactly would the quality of my life be like afterward? But then again, I don't fear death, so whatever.

Waffle-San
November 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm going to say no for now, but that's because I think it's really up to you anyways.

Azonic
November 17th, 2007, 04:19 PM
*pulls plug*

Yep. I gon pul plugg :D

♥~*Abby*~♥
November 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM

that's a great point, and part of the reason why I wouldn't want my plug pulled.

Ausaudriel
November 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
You know, that's really tough to say.. I honestly don't know what I would want. x_x I don't think I'd want to prolong my life if I were a vegetable. :[ I'd probably want the plug pulled. (Ugh, tough decision.)

If the situation were reversed, and I was the one making the choice, I'd base the decision entirely upon what I think the person would want. I'd totally separate my own emotions from it, because holding on to somebody when they'd want something else would do nothing but hurt everything in the long run.

For example, my mom would never want to be hooked up to a life-support machine. While I might not necessarily agree with her religious beliefs, the fact that she does is enough. She would want to "move on", as it were, and if that would mean not keeping her alive with a machine, so be it.

In the event that it's somebody who hasn't expressed views on it.. I guess I'd just have to base it on everything else I know about them, the best I could. D:

Hero of Time Link³
November 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yes I would get my plug pulled, hey don't get the wrong idea and think I hate life, I just think if I was on life support it is just making me unable to see God yet. I don't care if I've got any less than a 90% chance of surviving.

Sammi
November 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'd want it pulled. I'm not going to make them pay probably thousands of dollars for me to be hooked up to a machine that might not even save me.

I'd rather die than cause them that much trouble, to be honest. It might be sooner than later, but I have to die eventually... I'd rather not have it drawn out. :/

txteclipse
November 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Beat me to it. Life means a chance of recovery, no matter how small. Even 1/100th of a percent would be enough for me.

Scytheteen
November 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Beat me to it. Life means a chance of recovery, no matter how small. Even 1/100th of a percent would be enough for me.

So you would rather spend/have your family spend all that money on a useless body that has almost no chance of waking up? What if that body is in pain? You would need to put your emotions aside and think about the person's feelings.

Lilith
November 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Not ever.. Life is too precious to just unplug. And life > money. :x

sims796
November 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
If I go down, others will go with me.

I'm not sure. I'm scared of what happens when I die. The WORST thing is what my sister said, we may not exist-hence why I believe in Christianity. So, I would say, yes, barely.

So help me, I want a freaking FANCY funeral. I WANT TO BE BURIED. NOT CREMATED.

txteclipse
November 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM
If that body is in pain, then it's obviously not braindead.

There have been too many medical miracles for me to simply allow myself to be unplugged.

Shadow_Yue
November 17th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I would. I'd honestly rather die than be on life support for years. I'd let nature take it's course.

The Fallen
November 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
It depends. If I had no chance of making a full recovery and just have mashed potatoes for brains I would want to go. If I had a chance to make a full recovery then I wouldn't want the plug pulled.

Astinus
November 18th, 2007, 01:23 AM
If there was a possible cure, but it would take years for them to find it, then I want the plug pulled. If there was no cure at all, then I would want the plug pulled. I don't want to waste the thousands of dollars towards medical bills that my parents could use to make their lives better by laying in a hospital bed for years. Besides, I think it would be easier for my parents to know that I'm gone rather than wait for that slight chance that I would wake up.

I guess what makes my decision easier is that I believe in reincarnation, so I figure I'll come back in some form.

So yeah, no matter what, I would like the plug pulled on me. Better to use whatever work that would go in to trying to save me with the small chance on someone that has a better chance.

Idiot!
November 18th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Pull it, guys, pull it! Take the organs, burn the body and save the money! Life is always better without me around anyway (or so I thought).

Hinamori_Momo
November 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'd want the plug pulled. I'd want to stop the pain being caused every day to the ones I loved while they hope I come back miraculously.

Melody
November 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Well, If I had at least a 50% of surviving and returning back to a normal or at least somewhat normal like state within 3 months I'd not want them to pull the plug on me. Also if there was no cure or chance of recovery availble within 3-6 months I'd want the plug pulled right away. Other than that I'd rather them just let me die. It's not that I hate life I'd just not want them to suffer if the odds were stacked against me anyway.

Sylphiel
November 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
If there was a decent chance of me getting better, then I'd want to remain plugged in. In a case like that, I wouldn't want to give up too easily.

However, if I've gone far enough, and there's next to no chance of any improvement, then pull it. I can't stand the thought of being nothing more than a vegetable for any extended period of time - it literally scares me. I would rather just go out then instead of being forced to cling to whatever scrap of a life I might have left at that time.

~Shaymin~
November 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
No, espeically not at this age.

Merzbau
November 21st, 2007, 10:50 PM
My life is too precious to me to end it any sooner than it might if I left myself alive.

And besides, who knows, I might get better!

But people should make that decision on their own. If someone wants to die, they have the right to that.

Avolition
November 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM

25-40 is enough for me. I'd still want to live.

Razer302
November 23rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
If there was no way of me being able to recover and I would be stuck in a bed all the time then yes I would want them to Pull the plug as I wouldn't want them to keep seeing me hooked up to loads of machines and wouldn't want to be doing nothing.

If I could get better then I would stay on the life support and fight to get back with my family.

Tamaki
December 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
i say pull the plug. why go on living? is it even living to sit there and suffer?

Allen-kun
December 2nd, 2007, 05:11 AM
If there was a percent of change I could survive then they can leave me on it.

But if I were to live like that forever, then I'd rather than pull the plug on me, since it would cost heaps and I wouldn't want my parents to pay for a vegetable to stay alive...

mewthree w/armor
December 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I want them to pull the plug if theres Zero chance of recovery...or even 10%. No point in suffering.

Dogar The Brave
December 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Ok, this thread is sick, but I like it.

Yes, I would... Reasons purely to myself such as: Life is to live... Not to be braindead...

Craig²
December 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
As I've told my mom before,

"If I'm ever on life support, don't touch my plug. o__o"