PDA

View Full Version : Why do we ROM-hack?

destinedjagold
November 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
There are now many ROM-hacks around here in PC which is very nice and shows a lot of hard work from the hackers, themselves, either with their respectful and cooperative team, or their inspiration in doing things solo.

To all of you, share with us, why do you wish to ROM-hack? :3

Only post reasons about the topic. Thanks.

pkmnmaster69
November 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Well i normally learn to hack for fun and i also do it because i got bored when i completed pokemon diamond

SSJ4 Furanki
November 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I do it as a Hobby, my Parents don't mind it, in fact my Dad thinks it's pretty cool.
When I discovered Pokémon Hacking, I became Addicted to it. It helps me not
be all depressed and stuff.

Erimgard
November 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I do it because I have lots of ideas that I can put into them, and it's a good way to pass the time. mentally stimulating

TheSilverVersion
November 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I've always dreamed of a tool like this. I thought I was pretty spiffy when I was able to turn my GBA into a Rom...

But then I learned you can actually edit it? Amazing. I've always dreamed of making my own pokemon adventure plot, and now I actually can.

thethethethe
November 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I like to hack because you can make your own game. You make the Pokemon Game, that you want it to be. It won't be what Nintendo considers a good game, it will be your ideas put into it.

But then there are other rare times when I just can't stand it. Sometimes, I just feel like quitting.

destinedjagold
November 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for sparing time in posting. It cleared my head a little now. :D

zel 2.0
November 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Well, I love anything that relates to videogames, I've grown with them, so it's not rare that I'd love to make my own videogames. So, I started with the basic: RPG Maker (yeah, I'm a RPG fan, in case you've forgotten), and I did my own stuff and I had lots of fun with it. That, till I tried to make a Pokémon related game, and that's when things didn't go so good (lots of effort were needed), and then a comment said that RPG games sucked, and hacks were better, so I, feeling insulted, decided to give hacks a try, and, what would you know? I find it a lot more entertaining! :D

Of course, things weren't as easy at first, but I've kept hacking for a few years now (with a big break between), and I think I'll keep hacking for a few more years now, that, till I get bored of Pokémon (I doubt I could hack anything else...)

So, basically, I hack because I love it! The feeling of watching the changes you make to the game is something indescribable! <3

cooley
November 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Well, I hack to show others that you can do anything, if you want to do it badly.
Like I, Learned to script with hex(thanks to the help of Blazichu, and The dude),

So really, I didn't need a tutorial or anything, I had to learn by myself(and with some help from BC and The Dude). Other than hack, I mean that, I hack for the Heck of it.

Matt Silver
November 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I hack (Or kind of used to) because it's more active than fanfics and sprite comics. xD

EmpoleMew
November 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Why do we hack? A simple question that has no right or wrong answer. I hack because its a fun thing to do. When I feel bored, I'll decide to read over some tutorials. And then with enough knowledge, eventually, all of us can make a hack that's so good, people think its real. We hack because we love Pokemon and want to make a game with what we want in it. We hack for friends to enjoy. Sometimes, people hack for profit because they're cheapskates. Overall, I'd say because it's fun. It can be a hobby. It gives people something to do if they aren't athletic. And mainly, because it is fun.

Apple Inc.
November 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I hack because its a good stress reliever and it feels good to have people like your work. I also like to do it to make a game better than a game made by Nintendo, whether it be story or features

Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses
November 25th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I DON'T Hack because I spend my time on making real games, hacking just never intrested me.

Midnight Beat
November 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I tryed hacking myself, but I could never keep the attention span. :P
Anyway, I belive people hack as a creative outlet. It's just like drawing or singing, it lets you put your ideas out ther and work with something you enjoy. Not to mention it lets you put what you've always wanted to see in a pokemon game, in. Although this concept has started to fade away as we are seeing more and more noobish hacks. And not to sound like a Shiny Gold fan boy here, but look what Zel has done. It really shows his passion, versus the slight mapping changes people are trying to pass as hacks. >.>

Hiidoran
November 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
When I was little I would come up with all kinds of ideas for Pokemon. My friends and I would always discuss the perfect regions and the perfect game. Ironically we even dreamed of a program on the computer that would allow you to make Pokemon games; I simply thought it was all a silly dream. Then, one holiday weekend I started playing roms of games I hadn't seen in a long time, when I found a game I hadn't seen before; a Pokemon game set in the Orange Islands (no it wasn't Naranja, it was for the GB). I was crazy about it! I wanted to know how they did it! I searched and searched and finally I found tutorials on rom-hacking. I get better and better and let my creative juices flow from my brain into my games! To me, Rom-hacking is a dream come true.

cooley
November 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I DON'T Hack because I spend my time on making real games, hacking just never intrested me.
Ok, but THIS thread is about "Why DO WE HACK" not, why we don't like to hack.

Binary
November 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Why do we hack?
Well we do rom-hacking because we like it, we like it as in various ways. Some do it as a profession and some do it as a hobby. We wan't to create new idea's for games and show them in our games. In simple, we wan't to be game creators. Meh...I do it cos I like it, and we do get alot of knowledge from rom-hacking. Only people who are very talented can only rom-hack so good. example-zel...he's my idol XD Because of him I started hacking and got interested. At first I didn't even know what it meant but as soon as we know, we want to do it.

~Celebi

~*Pikafan*~
November 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM
^Almost everything in that post is what I was going to put in my post. What a coincidence (or however you spell that word, I never know how...)

The main reason why I hack is because I want to put my game ideas into the actual game. I want to make something really good and have some of the best ROM Hackers out there see it and like it, too. But that will be in a long, long, LONG time because I still don't know how to script and a lot of things.

Gilgameish
November 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Because I love making games, they are like books(which I also write) that are interactive and the characters often have a real effect on the player. I know Final Fantasy 8 did for me. Of coarse, I am also a hopeless Pokemaniac. That Helps :D

Yellow Magikoopa
December 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
I hack because for some reason, I've always had an endless train of ideas once i put my mind on something, especially when it comes to games. I still have sketches of custom Mario levels in the back of my closet from when I was 5.

Skeetendo, Inc.
December 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
I would have to say that I (Mateo) Hack for a variety of reasons, some of which I do not fully understand. Partially it is because even though I am now a freshman in college, I have never fully grown up by a longshot. I still enjoy Pokémon, in fact I have a plush Pikachu hanging from the rear view mirror of my 4x4.(VERY Ironic, I know). Another reason is because regardless of what people think of them in the mainstream, they are very good games and it gives you a good outlet to bring up ideas we have liked since the days of Red and Blue when we first were introduced to it. It gives us a means to express our creativity and it gives us a way to do things that Nintendo never thought of.

I realize some of you have noticed I all but completely dissapeared from the community for some time, but I am coming back. One reason is hacking helps me with stress, any of the other problems you expect a college student to go through. It gives you an escape from the real world. Afterall, you have to be pretty lucky to be able to hold a moch pokemon battle on a sheet of notebook paper with your buddy during math class and make outbursts about Magikarp in comp class and people know what you are talkign about. (for the record, I have done both of those things)

stead573
December 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I would say that I [try to] hack games to become more creative as well as experienced.

As I have just started out, I like the idea of learning as you go. You learn something new everyday, be it, how to create a specific code, how to insert tiles, or something as little as a pokemons offset in unLZ.GBA. :)

To sum it up, I like to think of someone, someday, playing a game that I've put time and effort into to show my best qualities and experience/knowledge.

Coolboyman
December 9th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I'll tell you why I want to hack.

When Gold was released when I was only 12 years old, I was very impressed of adding a region to the Pokemon universe, where you could go from Johto to Kanto. To my curiousity, I called Nintendo to ask if you could go beyond Kanto and Johto, but I found out I couldn't. I remember my words "So... you're trapped in Johto and Kanto?" with the reply of "uh... yeah." Great service for $2.95 a minute huh?

To my disappointment, I wish someone could create a new region for people to explore, whcih would expand the Pokemon universe. I had a dream where you went to a Pokemon convention, you plug in your cart to somewhere, and it adds a new region and new Pokemon (they should and could totally do this with future Pokemon games, come on.) For fun, I made sketches of regions connecting to Johto and Kanto. (10 bordering them all.)

I later on discovered you could edit ROMS! What fun huh? The idea of a new region escaped my mind at the moment as I made lots of experiment hacks. While playing a hack one day (A short hack called Orange Islands, where the cities, routes, caves and forests were in a DIFFERENT ORDER THAN THE OFFICIAL POKEMON GAMES. It was glitchy and buggy with totally unfair battles, but its overall layout was something I never saw before.), I put two together and thought, "Why can't I make a brand new region in a Pokemon game?" I then saw the beauty of making my OWN region that other people could explore and have fun on, just like Nintendo did. Pokemon Brown's idea was based off that premise, to feature a new region, or "world"; a complete overhaul of the original game. After I released Brown I knew I could do better, thus Prism was born, and I am doing my best to make Naljo actually look and FEEL like a fresh, original, and "official" region from a new Pokemon game that Nintendo COULD release.

So I hack to not just make a hack, but to make a whole new game and adventure for others to enjoy.

Something you might not know:
Someone asked me to make an M rated Pokemon hack for their website, and I agreed. In about 2 months I completed it, of course it was poor with immature humor everywhere (I was 14!) and the best part of it were the map changes. I decided to work on a sequel of such hack, and my friends website vanished. That's when the idea of a new world clicked upon me. I worked on a new region, and later and I decided to drop the M label and make it look and feel like a new real Pokemon game as much as I could.

What did that hack turn into?

Pokemon Brown.

destinedjagold
December 9th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Wow Coolboyman... I'm very touched by your speech. I envy you that your friends (were?) supporting your hack all the way.

Zel.., and everyone posted here, thanks for your time posting, and sharing your reasons. It really enlightened me. *cries*...

master pokemon
December 14th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I want to learn how to hack

Because I want to do the ideas in my head to improve the pokemon games in my way

Hackbeginnerdylan
December 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Well i recently started hacking (about 4 days now) and i have the hang of it.. I started to hack for a friend because.. idk.. then i was like WOAH and just made it my hobby.... and now i'm working on a pokemon ruby hack!
I guess i hack.. because i can >:)

Yoshimi
December 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM
Well i hack because it calms me down and i had a lot of ideas about a new region and a new storyline where everything was different.
Also there is nothing to do at my house and my brothers ignore me.

изм
December 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Why do We Hack??
yeah ok..
Maybe For Me Hacking Makes Us Relieve A Classic Rom In Our Own Way We Can Add Our Own Events And Share It with People..
And Friends Do appreciate It and Apart From It..It's Interesting And Makes You feel That You are Capable fo doing something and it seems like an different art itself :D
the story the intensity and all it really makes one feel happy..
and You won't Believe This DestinedJagold ... That i actually made up my mind in Rom-Hacking after playing You're Beta :D

+Sneasel™
January 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
For me, its just because its fun.
I enjoy hacking roms adn making them to my likeing.
Its fun, and passes the time too.

Lady Berlitz
January 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Well, ever since I was a little kid, I've always loved Pokémon video games, toys, etc. I've even made my own "fan-games" using just a simple piece of paper. Now that I'm much older, I've found out that it's possible to make my own games, also known as hacks. I still do things with pieces of paper, but it's all just for writing lists of trainers, maps, etc. for my hacks.

I will try to continue hacking for as long as I can, so I can learn to get better and better.

Satoshi Sugimori
January 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I think my reason for hacking is that when I started (in 2004/2005) I was curious I was just surfing the internet looking for pokemon stuff...
I found a so called ROM and I played it on my VBA loved it..:D
But as soon as I tried to find more ROMs I found non official pokmon games...
Then I tried to find info about that and so oon I got involved in hacking and I loved it (still do) and I never stopped its my nr. 1 hobby..XD So the readon is I think computer addiction and my love for pokemon...and out of that comes rom hacking...

I think I will be hacking pokemon untill I get bored of it (never) or get to old to do it..XD

Darthatron
January 14th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I originally did it cos I was bored.:D Then I stopped and started to play RuneScape. Then Jagex, the creator of RuneScape, screwed it up and thus I came back to my roots and started making programs for the new, younger hackers. FUN! :D:D:D

Sagiri
January 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I do it because I have lots of ideas that I can put into them, and it's a good way to pass the time. mentally stimulating
Ditto. Minus the idea part. I have no ideas. Yes, I do know the saying if you have no ideas you are dead, so... Well, I have ideas, but no creativity.

TB Pro
January 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Why do I hack?
Hmmm..
I hack to make the GAMEFREAK games into my vision.
I hack for fun.
I hack to pass the time.
I hack to test myself.

rjmarvel
January 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM
i pokemon hack because i am not a fan of pokemon. i think by hacking i can make the game my own and its way more cooler

January 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
people hack becuase they feel like it

where do you download Pokemon Spark Yellellow

bradenm
January 26th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I hack coz ive always wanted to make my own game!
honestly, who doesnt want to make thier own game?

kebbles
January 26th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Well i've always grown up with Pokemon games...
My first game Red Version when I was like 6 or something, it was the best game EVER!
But i always wondered what it would be like to make a game based around my actual hometown and towns near by, which resulted in early stages of clover green.
But i messed up tons of times and slowly learned new stuff and got better, and all my new ideas have replaced my ideas of my hometown hack and now its the clover green you see today.
But still I hack to make a game that I would like to play, with what I would like to see and the Pokemon I would like to start off with and the Pokemon I would like to catch, dosn't everyone?

Blazichu
January 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM
The reason most of us hack is for a challenge. Hacking can be a simple task, yet a difficult task. Many people strive to complete their ROM hacks, but from what I have seen many people don't. Seeing as Quartz and Brown are the only two that are complete so far. Starting a hack is also great to see and you can accomplish so much from doing so, finishing is the hard part. So setting a goal is also very helpful. Many people are also learning many different ways to hack a ROM which is very good and this helps to make the ROM hack standout more.

So the main reason is because it gives us something to do, it gives us goals and difficult challenges which we try to finish, most peoples goals would probably be to complete the hack though. Even so, it is a great goal and it should influence the user to complete their project no matter what it is.

liuyanghejerry
February 3rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
wanting to hack makes me come here~

February 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I clicked yes. HACKING IS SO FUN!! :D :D

Megiddo-san
February 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Well, I love anything that relates to videogames, I've grown with them, so it's not rare that I'd love to make my own videogames. So, I started with the basic: RPG Maker (yeah, I'm a RPG fan, in case you've forgotten), and I did my own stuff and I had lots of fun with it. That, till I tried to make a Pokémon related game, and that's when things didn't go so good (lots of effort were needed), and then a comment said that RPG games sucked, and hacks were better, so I, feeling insulted, decided to give hacks a try, and, what would you know? I find it a lot more entertaining! :D

Of course, things weren't as easy at first, but I've kept hacking for a few years now (with a big break between), and I think I'll keep hacking for a few more years now, that, till I get bored of Pokémon (I doubt I could hack anything else...)

So, basically, I hack because I love it! The feeling of watching the changes you make to the game is something indescribable! <3 Me too. In fact, I want to get a degree in game design. I hack for fun and I have a lot of ideas.

Yoshimi
February 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well i also hack because since i'm the youngest of three i don't have any decision in anything but when i hack, its like a god-like power that makes me do anything i want and create an ideal land

kitana
February 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
for me its just a hobby becouse i finally can change games becouse it was my biggest dream when i was litle

wolverfrog
February 23rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
i try to hack, but i have no chance, i mean, i downloaded advance map, what the hell does $h20$ mean????lol, it's dead hard, the only thing i managed to do was change littleroot town into wolverfrogs town, and turn your mum into a groundon sprite. how do people make full games like this though?!?!?!? i think i'll just stick to playing other people's hacks from now on

Hat?
February 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
i've been hacking a while now,
basically the reason i hack is to make the game how i think it should be,
not how nintendo thinks it should be,
though rom hacking can sometimes be hard or just annoying (things acting buggy, not figuring out how things are stored in the rom, changes accidently not saved etc),
it's good to see what you think it should be, become a reality and not just mixed up thoughts in your head

X-Buster
February 23rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Why do I hack? Because I was born to hack, It makes us show our creative ways, learning new thing, having teamwork and much much more..! ROM hacking is like solving puzzles and discovering new things..! I don't care what they say..! If I want to hack? thats my busyness, and like they say NO MONKEY busyness..! you hear? NO MONKEY BUSYNESS..!

mage825
February 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
keep playing the same old game sucks ...hacking can change a lot of things

Jack of Bl♠des
February 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I hack because it lets me exploit concepts that Nintendo would never put in their stories. It may be because I'm a writer, but I like telling stories where the characters have depth and don't follow an obvious storyline thats been used wayyyy too much.

I also hack because it provides a decent little challenge. At first I thought I would just need to change the text and sprites in a game. Then I was introduced to mapping. Then scripting. And putting it all together. By then, I realized what I was getting myself into and now I'm willing to go through with all that effort, just to see that final product

(Plus I wanna become a game designer, and this is the most experience I can get, since my schedule in high school won't allow it).

Qwerty-117
February 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
i am interested in hacking, but i need someone to show me how to...
If anyone is willing to help me, email me or PM me.

Hat?
February 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM
romhacks [dot] net

that's basic stuff right there
or talk to me on msn (if you can) or PM me if you have trouble understanding something on that site right there

wahwa
March 20th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I like hacking when i seen a hack video of hacking pokemon and finally i start hacking.Also,Its fun hacking.

thetribemaster
March 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I hack pokemon because its fun and addicting, and gives me the thrill of being the only guy in my school (that I know) that can actually do it.

~Red
March 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I hack because of several reasons:

1. I've always wanted to make my own Pokemon game.
2. I've always wanted to publish my ideas onto the internet.
3. IT IS SO F-U-N TO HACK!!
4. Because its legal and its nothing to do with 1337 H4XX0R

;)

02magnus
March 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I hacks, ´cause i think it´s cool to insert own plots and storylines, instead of that stupid that Nintendo make those simple storylines X(

Innocence
March 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
I guess the only reason I hack is...it's fun! The rush you get from achieving something in a hack is great, and I'm moderately talented at it. I'm always ready to learn as well.
The only turn-off is, there isn't always someone there to teach me. I'm a G/S/C hacker, that's what I like to do, but lately I've started a FR hack as a break from G/S/C hacking. The reason why, is that advance hacking is so easy!

But what I'm trying to say all in all is: Rom hacking is fun, the hacking community is great, and it's a great feeling learning something new.

Ikouze
March 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think many people enjoy hacking, because of the fact that they can feel like they've created something, something significant, simply something...

I hack because once I've finished i feel like I've achieved something, I've created something that's my own and no-one else's, even though I'm using other people's hacking tools. That fact that I've created something for other people to enjoy just gives the feeling of fulfillment. Maybe it's just me, maybe not.

Missingno40
March 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I hack because I want to make a Pokemon games w/ stuff I want. It gets boring playing the stock games after a while.

Kirlay
March 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I always wanted to make up my OWN pokemon story. When I found AdvanceMap, I was soo happy. Now I've got AdvanceText, so I can actually make it a story! ^-^

I also do it cause I'm just bored, and its funner then just spamming gameshark codes.

Azumi
March 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I like hacking. It is fun.

(Yeah, very boring answer.)

Edit:
I found my REAl reason to hack.
I see all those people hacking, and destinedjagold's hacks, and I am INSPIRED by those people.
I want to make my own hack, you know.

(A STUPID answer this time, but this comes from deep down in my heart... =.=")

Tré
March 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
maybe its a hobby for us to hack a game... this level of hackin is not as high as breaching the pentagon.... but for me hacking is cool because me and my classmates make pokemon hacks but it ended up to nothing because no one knows how to script......

Gen200
March 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I hack for fun, but I also hack for the art of it.

Even if I'm new at it, I love making my own maps and stories using my own spin on the Pokemon aesthetic and making them pleasing to the eyes and mind.
I approach it as art.

Also, it's fun messing with things.

Drakorn
March 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Basically, I like ROM Hacking, I started my own Pokemon Hack on friday and I thought it was addictive and fun and to be honest, I like creating my own things hence the Pokemon Hack. My pokemon hack is called Pokemon Ice Blast and since Friday, I am currently making Viridian city. Besides my Pokemon hack, I do think it is fun and if I can do it, I think anyone can.

[HoN] Jereziah
March 31st, 2008, 01:45 AM
i want to hack pokemon but I DONT KNOW!!!!
Can someone teach me pls

Gen200
March 31st, 2008, 01:55 AM
i want to hack pokemon but I DONT KNOW!!!!
Can someone teach me pls

This is not the thread for that.

See that link that says "Documents and Tutorials" above all those threads?

Click it.

mechu95
March 31st, 2008, 01:11 PM
I hack because I love everything to do with computers (call me a computer nerd if you want), I love Pokemon, and I wanna make something of my own.

nemesish
March 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think we hack because we:

-get a lot of idead on how to tell a story on the pokemon universe
-we want a better version of the game we have
-or do this as a hobby

adamb241
March 31st, 2008, 07:27 PM
I believe it is because true fans want to show that they can make good games too. It also lets us show some creativity once in a while.

~Areku-San
April 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
.It is a way to express themselves, in part because the texts of ROM, another for graphics Moreover, the ease of modification to create an entirely new story.
Is my form of think.

Maxie_da_man
April 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
- We love POKEMON
- Game graphics
- Get ideas
- Create your own sprites, backgrounds, etc.
- We do it for fun
- Make yur own story
- scrpits
- It rocks!!!! lol

ExtremeFlyer
April 24th, 2008, 05:59 AM
i repesct the guys who put time into hacking. its really fun to play hacked games, it like a whole new pokemon game, xcept u dont have to wait every 5 years for nintendo to make one.

Tré
April 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
hackin' games sure is fun...but isnt it illegal??? or something....sorry it just blown in my mind...

insectduel
April 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Why do we hack? You mean me. Right? I ROM-hack because it was fun to do it. Except I am not a Pokemon Hacker yet.

BUT

I do hack Super Mario All-stars, Super Mario Bros. 2 Japanese, Megaman (Currently), Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Mario Bros. 3 and a few translation projects. About soon, I will hack Pokemon FIRE RED and do a Pokemon spoof hack called Hana Yori Dango another love story Pokemon style. I gave up on my SMW Project called Pikachu's adventure because I'm not ready yet.

HOWEVER

I rather keep away ROM-Hacking from ALL guests and including other relative family on sight who comes in my room and invade my privacy. That's not a good sign for me. Or else I get pissed off they found out.

Amonitas
May 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
I do it because I love customizing everything and I love my fakemon.

Squeenix
May 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM
I like hacking but I have better things to do.
I would rather learn c++ or php rather than hack because it could give me some cash in the future, but then again hacking is fun

Lollypop
May 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I hack because its fun! It's creative and can express ideas. Like just today i used cheesepeow's rombase and made pallet town to a beach resort! Its FUN!

Platinum Lucario
May 20th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I really like hacking because of editing maps and changing scripts.
And also it's fun as well! :)

Gold Tom
May 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Why do we hack?

To use a great Pokemon's name in vain...

Wynaut?

Tropical Sunlight
May 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I hack because I don't know what else to do in rainy weather...

Neti
May 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
i started hacking as a project for computer science lessons and now its jsut a hobby of mine^^

BigSteve
May 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM
because then the game we play is how we wanted it to be :)

Binary
May 20th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I sure love hacking, but sometimes I can get lazy and not touch a single rom for weeks XD.
But I personally love hacking.

pokeboyy13
May 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
is there a way to play a pokemon gameboy game through my psp?

tarder sauce
May 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I hack because I get bored at school, and it gives me reason to procrastinate on all my end of year projects!

ProtoAlex2006
May 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I guess it because I'm bored and wanna be creative.

One Winged Angel
May 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Well, I hack because its like a Rubix Cube.
Its Fun, Its challenging, and it Passes Time.

Swampertrulz
May 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
i hacked once but then restarted my game. hacking doesnt really prove anything. it doesnt prove how good you are. no one really cares about your hacked shiny lv 100 lugia with 999 stats and pkrs. to me it just shows that your weak, impatient and lazy

Zero Avenged
May 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I hack because I can make the game into what I want and I don't have to worry about short storylines!!!

PkMn Trained
May 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I like the creativity. Combining somthing i love with somthing else i love. Its a let out. And beside. If im mad... Say hello the Fu region.

Ninja Caterpie
May 30th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I hack...because....it....Darn...
Houston, we have a problem.
Words have left my brain.
Hacking is just fun..to me...
Shame some people don't even know WHAT TYPE OF HACKING we're talking about.
Sorry about that...I was just pissed...
Back on topic.

Hacking is my hobby sort of...
Writing fanfics gets boring sometimes...
And when Dark Daroach keeps slaying you in Kirby, it's sad...
But hacking is fun...
FUN!

hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
May 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM
95% of the answers would kind of fit better in with "Why do we Mode"?
xD
But my answer would be for both... For fun?

Yoshimi
May 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
i hacked once but then restarted my game. hacking doesnt really prove anything. it doesnt prove how good you are. no one really cares about your hacked shiny lv 100 lugia with 999 stats and pkrs. to me it just shows that your weak, impatient and lazy

you are not that smart are you?
If you have bothered to look around and see the hacks, none of them would have level 100, 999 stat pokemon starters, you buffoon.
almost all of the hacks here are serious and this post, to me, has shown everyone that you are low on intelligence and, what you called other hackers, lazy.You are lazy because you didn't even bother to look at the threads.
You will eat your words once you play pokemon ruby destiny: ruby legend.

Ninja Caterpie
June 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
He doesn't need to play Destiny Legends to see that...He may as well play one of the slightly-not-as-good ones and his words will turn into swords that stab himself...
And he uses hacks.

Remember folks!
Hacking isn't using hacks!
AND IT'S FUN!

Charliezard
June 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
He doesn't need to play Destiny Legends to see that...He may as well play one of the slightly-not-as-good ones and his words will turn into swords that stab himself...
And he uses hacks.

Remember folks!
AND IT'S FUN!

Correct, hacking is fun :)

I hack cuz I wanna -_- got a problem? lol Nah but hackin is fun, I'm just learnin how to script and then once I can do that, I'll start on a project, whether it's mine or someone elses, to put it to use an challenge myself more.
Scripting is fun so far anyway -_- :P

Sacred Dragon
June 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I don't really remember how I found out about Pokemon hacking, but once I did, I've been hacking pretty much ever since. It really helps me to not be bored all the time like I usually am. Bessides...it's just fun to do. Making your own game, helping to make a game, etc. is just so fun. Just being able to, I don't know, make something new, that you can come up with on your own, that other poeple can be a part of and enjoy. It's just awesome! :D

BigSteve
June 12th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I started hacking because i played the beta of prism and thought 'wouldnt it be awesome if i could do something like that!'
and that's how it started
i saw the people with the threads that were like 'can someone do XXX for me?' and made sure i wasnt like that, but instead i said 'can someone link me a tutorial / tell me how to do XXX' and from the help of people on here (iiMarckus + Cooley mainly) i got to grips with a lot of the stuff.

I hack because i think i can see problems / money grabbing marketing tactics with nintendo's games and decided to be one of the people that tries to make it different and share it with others rather than complain and do nothin :)

insectduel
June 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
What's the best C++ Complier for Win98SE. I got the source code for SMB Utility. And I'm gonna continue to make ISD SMB Util based on their current Japanese version for future use. Also, I am attempt to make GUI Languages to both English and Japanese.

I may be ROM-Hacking for 3 years and STILL never hack a Pokemon game yet, but I wanna learn some C++ other than doing some ASCII text like on my first release on ISD SMB Util.

I wan't everyone to support hacking SMB2 Japanese for FDS.

ArchsageX
June 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I hack because it's a way for me to bide my time with something I enjoy while waiting for something somewhat eventful to happen.

Working Class Hero
June 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I just do it because the rest of the games are boring until a new one comes out. I don't really love it but I like it. =3 Creativity.

Hat?
June 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
you are not that smart are you?
If you have bothered to look around and see the hacks, none of them would have level 100, 999 stat pokemon starters, you buffoon.
almost all of the hacks here are serious and this post, to me, has shown everyone that you are low on intelligence and, what you called other hackers, lazy.You are lazy because you didn't even bother to look at the threads.
You will eat your words once you play pokemon ruby destiny: ruby legend.

What Swampertrulz said sounds like he meant using a cheat device to alter the RAM, instead of hacking the ROM, but that's still classed as hacking something!

Luke128th
June 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
There are several specific reasons why I hack. One is to get my mind off of the bothersome things in life. But since I've been playing Pokemon games since RBY, when I got to GSC I was amazed at the fact that they had both regions in it! But when it got to RSE I was a bit disappointed. I mean sure they couldn't make all THREE Regions in the game... But then I found hope. I found this site and saw all the possibilities for the Pokemon games. When I first downloaded A-Map, I was amazed! And from that began my adventure at making Pokemon: Regions. This has been my dream for the Advanced generation of the Pokemon games. And that is why I like hacking: I get to realize my dreams.

koolmarx
June 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
it seems cool, is there a learning procedere that you could show me anyone.

Ninja Caterpie
June 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM
-whispers- Uh...before a mod spies you, don't ask that here!
Go to docs and Tuts! There are tonnes of stuff! Also, Simple Questions!

GKS
June 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM
It's not really a past time thing for me, because I usually don't have enough time. I just wanted to create a hack of my own the way I wanted to.

Vyro
June 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
why do we hack?... It's easy enough to answer... we hack because it lets us create our perfect pokemon game, and all our ideas can be finally put to use...

supersmashbro93
June 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
i think that hacking is for people that aren't successful on the game so they turn to hacking

hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
June 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
i think that hacking is for people that aren't successful on the game so they turn to hacking
Do you mean Game moding or gameplaying?

I think you might are a "tiny" bit stupid?

Remember folks!
Hacking isn't using hack tools
AND IT'S FUN!

Unedited post:

Remember folks!
AND IT'S FUN!

thethethethe
June 21st, 2008, 01:44 AM
I don't think you have the right idea of our form of hacking.
I think the hacking you're thinking of is hacking the ram and cheating.
This form of hacking that this thread refers to is altering the rom to create a new game, with a new storyline, and express your idea on how the Pokemon(or any other world) world should be.

Amaz!ng
June 21st, 2008, 03:39 AM
I play Pokémon since I was 3 years old and it interest me always if new Pokémon and Games were out. But I don't know why :D

PokemonMagic
June 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM
Me? I started hacking, stopped, and continue,suddenly i am making a hack series, called Dragon Pokemon Legend. Just like TrainerDor of youtube. ok bye.

Teh Baro
June 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hacking is like making a game, but a lazy way, since you get a basic engine to start with.
But making games from scratch or almost-scratch is pretty cool. I've found an adventure game maker (AGS) and I'm going to start an adventure game myself.

KhaosKnight
June 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
I hack because it gives me somthing to do, lets me implement my creativity, hang on awesome boards such as these and a way to make my own pokemon adventure to call my own shots and add my own pokemon maps ect, ya know, the works.

Plus i would like to read what people say after they play my hack('s), it gives me a sense of accomplishment :cool:

.Seth
June 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Why do I hack?

Well, The reason I hack is simply because I love the undescribable feeling of making an actual (not reeeeally) game. I've always wanted to make my own games. In fact, I've designed a storyline, 4 YEARS AGO, at least. And Nintendo, being the unowat's they are, thought it was good, but that I should leave it to the designers. And now, looking back on that, I think this: If i makeup an awesome story and pokemon (which it seemed to me), doesn't that make me a designer?

Anyway, now that I've discovered how to rom hack, I'm going to turn the (official) game that nintendo dished out into what i want it to be.

And that's why I hack.

Melash
June 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
The reason I hack?

Well, it gives me something to do. I do have a social life...but this adds more to it, you know? I also like hacking because it's a challenge to try and script and all that other stuff. You know, it's a learning experience!

Why do I hack?

Well, The reason I hack is simply because I love the undescribable feeling of making an actual (not reeeeally) game. I've always wanted to make my own games. In fact, I've designed a storyline, 4 YEARS AGO, at least. And Nintendo, being the unowat's they are, thought it was good, but that I should leave it to the designers. And now, looking back on that, I think this: If i makeup an awesome story and pokemon (which it seemed to me), doesn't that make me a designer?

Anyway, now that I've discovered how to rom hack, I'm going to turn the (official) game that nintendo dished out into what i want it to be.

And that's why I hack.

Hey, I'm the same as you! Years ago, I came up with my idea for a Pokemon game! I sent it to Nintendo, but they told me the EXACT same thing! It's not Awakened Legnends, but I'll soon make it real!

NatureKeeper
June 26th, 2008, 09:43 PM
When i began with the emulation world, I was searching for a ruby rom. I found always: Pokemon Ruby Destiny. I was starting to get wild. When I clicked PokeCommunity i found the Reign of Legends Forum Thread so I downloaded it and played and i knew this was a hack so the game was fun. Why shouldn't we make games too?

Mechz
July 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I wanted to ROM-hack, because I wanted to bring balance to Pokemon. However, I have since changed my mind... Pokemon may be unbalanced in that it has TIERS; but think of how things would be if Nintendo decided to make 493+ Pokemon (or at least, just their final forms) balanced. We would have one ****ing huge tier that's just a big messy guessing game. At least now with Uber, OU, BL, UU, and NU, we have a way of using every Pokemon without turning Pokemon into a guessing game. No, it's not already a guessing game--- It's a prediction game. I find the two to be quite different. In my mind, a guess is broader than a prediction; while a prediction is a guess that narrows down to few possibilities.

It's not at all like other games with Tiers. There's no "bottom tier only" tournaments in Smash Brothers. It's either use Peach, Shiek, Falco, Fox, or Marth... or gtfo! :D

However, I do not like how a lot of moves (about 80% of them) are completely useless or too circumstantial to make it into movesets. On one hand, 100% of them being useful would again make the game a mess... But it's getting annoying seeing the same ~9 moves pop up on every single moveset. I think 60-70% of the moves being useless low-level fodder is more fair. After all, high PP moves ARE important to the RPG aspect of the game. Just a bit more care for high end gameplay would be nice. :]

In the end, I'm still hacking just because I want to re-make RBY. I want to make it more challenging by giving gym leaders well thought-out teams that even Pokemon's "AI" can play on par with a human for 10 rounds. I want to give the players more variety by giving them things like rods earlier, and adding just a few more Pokemon to the routes. Vulpix is a fox. Foxes hide in fields. So why can't you get one early game? :D Despite what I said above, I'm still looking for a way to make it so the original 151 Pokemon will all fit into THREE tiers, instead of FIVE. UU, which in my game will be meant for OU capable Pokemon which simply require more thought or skill to use. Then there's OU, which would feature your Alakazam, Starmie, Chansey, etc... Who are straightforward and predictable, yet still potent. Finally there would be the Uber tier, which is just for Mewtwo and Mew... Since you really can't make them OU without ruining the point of their existances.

Eletj
July 11th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I Rom-Hack because its almost like making a game, and its fun!

iRawr-x
July 11th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Yes, I think that hacking is really fun, It expresses your imagination and your opinion of what Pokemon should be like. And you It could also show how much you know about Pokemon as well, I would really like to make my own hack someday but mehh.. too hard ;P I would really like to express my imagination and Pokemon love in some other way. And I had decided by making a Pokemon story ;D

aznduhx
July 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
People ROM hack because its fun, a good experience, and you get alot out of it, like a great game and improvement on editing and such.

Rob-120
July 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I do it because I'm bord and have nothing else to do bcause I've completed pretty much every game we have at my house...

R a i n n s a n雨
July 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Well, I can't ROM hack because I have a mac and there is no scripter for mac.

But if I did I would do it for the enjoyment of other people.

PeRfEcTInZaNaTy
July 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
well i rom hack because i like pokemon iand i wish to make my own game

Macaveli
August 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I like hacking so I can play out any storyline ideas I get and it's a great way to pass time on those days when you have nothing

Beam Me Up, Furry Bandit!
August 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I Love it!

But there is one problem.....

I CAN'T USE ADVANCED TEXT,SAPPY, OR SOME OTHER APPLICATIONS!
And i tried using those missing files on the german website!

But it never worked....

Can anyone help me?

dracolord775
August 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
I hack mainly to relieve boredom, and for creative outlet.

Sarcastic Prince
August 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
The Official Pokemon GBA/GBC/GB games sucks.

The hacks of DP/GBA/GBC/GB is the way to prove we can have better story,

plotting, and of course, spriting than Nintendo.

Hacking made me learn how to get a new hobby,

and made learn how to edit sprites.

ssj
August 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
The main reason I got into rom hacking *still learning:)* was simply because of the creative control you get from rom hacking being able to create and develop your own storyline is something I find amazing.

The Original Darkwiz787
August 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have a huge imagination (Lolz I could probably think of at least 10 different storylines right now) and this is just one way I can use it! Making MY OWN "Game"

FlameShocker
August 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM
For one thing, it's EXTREMELY time consuming for me. I've only recently learned how to hack, and I'm still a beginner. I thoroughly enjoy hacking, and that's the main reason why I hack.

Yoshimi
August 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I hack mainly to relieve boredom, and for creative outlet.

Strangely enough, pokemon hacking also causes boredom.

Vega-kun
September 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
I love making everything the way I like it! I'm all about custom based games!

Ineffable~
September 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hacking is just the american dream for teenage boys (and some girls)
all over, for so many reasons.
Make your own story? Check.
Make a game the way you've always wanted it? Check?
Map a whole region? Check.
Influence the way people in the game act? Check.
Entertain? Check.
Easily Customize legendary battles? Check.
Is it fun? CHECK
Is it easy? No, it's a great challenge.:bandit:

I'll bet that over 75% of all people who do not ROM hack
have just never heard of it. Another 6% are not allowed.
And 10% think it's illegal, or don't know how.

It's just such a fun thing to do.

machomuu
September 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I love the original games, however altering, changing, ans scraping them into a whole new story thrills me, I love hacking :).

durenloveanju
September 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
i make it because i like it.

HackerGod
September 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I originally did it cos I was bored.:D Then I stopped and started to play RuneScape. Then Jagex, the creator of RuneScape, screwed it up and thus I came back to my roots and started making programs for the new, younger hackers. FUN! :D:D:D

I agree about RuneScape.That game is terrible =/.No PK and 3K Limit...Andrew Gower = Epic FAIL!

Sou1forged
September 24th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I do it because it's a challenge creating a hack as different from the original game as possible (without screwing it up).

Hitsu
October 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
I do! It's a bit of a "challenge" and I like challenges.

tazz4o
October 2nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
im not good withscripts so immaking a hack series XP
i love to hackXP

Satoshi Sugimori
October 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Why I hack ROM's is so I can create whatever I want to see in a Pokémon Game and how I would like it to be, and also to express my creative "mind"..That's the reason pretty simple but it works :P

エロカメ
October 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
"Children can use game making software to develop their own games. This develops a range of skills including flexible thinking, reading, writing and problem solving" - some technology guide for parents which I got from school.

I agree with that .

I love hacking because it's pretty fun and it's a good thing to do if you're bored.

SethCullen
October 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think because nintendos pokemon games arent made quick enough or long enough. We beat them in a few days so we get so bored so we make new ones.

torferno lvl-X
October 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I hack because i like to do it and I like pokemon there is also something about rpg maker that just does'nt click.

Larsie13
October 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Well, I hack 'cause I think it's a lot of fun, I love Pokémon, and it gives me a chance to be creative and let my imagination work.

eing15
October 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hum, I hack because is my hobby, and is more creative, and you can do more things, maping maps, insert tiles, change paletes, translate...etc
But the best is scripting

Fluffy Clouds
October 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
I just hack because I think it's really fun.

deathrider24
October 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Its because the games nintendo puts out a pokemon game every 3 years while hacks come out every 3 months and it puts a whole new veriety in pokemon games.

Heart's Soul
October 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Hacks have more potential than Nintendo games. I like to see that a small group made an unbelievable hack, than about a thousand people make a bad game.

Mainly, because I've nothing better to do and I think I can make better games than Nintendo.

Sarcastic Prince
October 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Hacks have more potential than Nintendo games. I like to see that a small group made an unbelievable hack, than about a thousand people make a bad game.

Mainly, because I've nothing better to do and I think I can make better games than Nintendo.

Yep, Nintendo doesn't have enough imagination.

They always make Games like "Hero saves the day!! Blah!"

Boring Stories!!

I correct.

It should be Nintendo does not have enough imagination on the suckish GBA/GBC/GB Games.

Green Charizard
October 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Why do I ROM-Hack?

I don't, not anymore, I don't have the time at the moment, but I'll share my opinion on why people do and why I did.

Why do we ROM-Hack?

For some, it's to see if they can, it's a challenge, a challenge that helps to spur them on in every day life, it gives them something to do when they're bored. Hence they find it fun.

For others, it's that they have achieved something their friends have not. It's awesome being able to say, I hack video games, twisting whats there in to someting completely of my own. It impresses friends, your family. But then there's another degree to this, you see people like yourself on forums such as this and it turns in to a competition, who can hack the best, who's the elite ROM-hacker. People get addicted, sucked in, to see who can produce the coolest stuff.

Like was said by another above, an element of redesign does come in to it, with the Pokémon series especially, where people want to feed their obsessionn with the Pokémon world so much that they want to add their own bit to it. To cool their cravings for another game, another story, another place.

But I think most of all, it's because they have time. Reverse the question, "Why DON'T you Rom-Hack", and most will answer: "Because I don't have time". Boredom is frequent, from experience, I used to hack when I was bored. It spured and motivated me when I had nothing to do. Remember those endless school holidays from days past? ROM Hacking doesn't get tiresome, it's like painting, you can paint something over and over again and it will always be different, so is ROM Hacking, it keeps your attention, it has endless boundaries, potential, achievemnts and scope for creativity. It is truly a fantastic hobby, because it fulfills everything that a hobby should be, and I would encourage anyone to pursue it for this reason.

Surf
November 6th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I always thought Hey i wish i could make a game so when i found Rom Hacking i got straight into it

insectduel
November 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I recently started Pokemon hacking about last week because I want to customize the Touhoumon game I played. I used between Advancemap and Elitemap but I don't know much about script editing.

I wanted to make a simple custom Touhoumon hack that is Kanto releated in Gold and Silver such as the the gym leader in the seafoam islands or anything related including Shinygold but it will take a lot more time for me. At least these Map Editors support Japanese Fire-Red but others like the PET does not.

I'm suprised that any Fire-Red game has Team Aqua or even Hoenn gym leaders existed.

Ochigi
November 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
XD i started hacking because.....when i saw pokemon shinygold i was inspired to hack

Vonny
November 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I always get inspired by the thought of making the games my way...
Like I've always thought "why don't they make a game not focused exclusively on training?" and ect.

I wish I knew how to hack well, though DX

Dark_Master
November 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I love expressing creativity. Rom hacking is one way of doing that.

sasquatchd00d
November 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I hack here and there for fun. I can change the game into what my mind wants it to be. I'm not very creative in drawing or music, but in ROM hacking, I come up with more creative ideas. I think it's a way to express myself in a way that others can enjoy as well.

Pingouin_7
November 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
When I was little I would come up with all kinds of ideas for Pokemon. My friends and I would always discuss the perfect regions and the perfect game. Ironically we even dreamed of a program on the computer that would allow you to make Pokemon games; I simply thought it was all a silly dream. Then, one holiday weekend I started playing roms of games I hadn't seen in a long time, when I found a game I hadn't seen before; a Pokemon game set in the Orange Islands (no it wasn't Naranja, it was for the GB). I was crazy about it! I wanted to know how they did it! I searched and searched and finally I found tutorials on rom-hacking. I get better and better and let my creative juices flow from my brain into my games! To me, Rom-hacking is a dream come true.

They made Pokémon Naranja on GB before making it on GBA.

Vrai
November 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Well, my story is kinda... different.

It actually took place a few years ago, when I met my friend. You see, nobody in my neighborhood really liked Pokémon, and so I never really had any good friends that I could tell big secrets and such. Then, I went to middle school. There, in band class, I noticed that the guy next to me, the only one who was better than me at playing the saxophone (I was second chair :)) was flipping through a Pokédex book. I laughed to myself, and I was like, "I bet this kid just found that on the floor and was looking through it." Then, the next day, he was looking through it again, and I was like "ookay..". And then, on the third day, I approached him about it. It turned out that we had over half of our classes together, and we came to be good friends.

Then, I saw a few of his "doodles", as he likes to call them. They were amazing, I thought, and I asked him, "I think we should put those in a game. What do you think?" Of course, he was all for it. So I began looking for ways to make a Pokémon game. I dabbled in C and BASIC for a little while, but realized that I couldn't make a genuine game. (I was 12, don't laugh at me.) So, we kinda took a break for a while. I began dreaming up endless stories, and he kept on doodling. Each of us got better in our own way, and I eventually produced a final storyline, and he made a large amount of doodles, that we still have to reduce to put into the game. This would be the point where I found Pokécommunity; I spent quite a while here without getting an account, then got one in June of this year, and began posting around recently. I'm still trying to get my friend to make one, though. ;)

We never got by without attracting attention, however, and several people came to notice our weird discussions. We tried not to use the word "Pokémon" in school (at least, I tried not to ;)), but some kids figured it out. Of course, they were for it, too. I now have a group of close buddies that I hope can peer-pressure me into finishing my hack. And that's how I got into hacking.

Long story, lolz.

Shaded
December 2nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
When I saw these threads I was like "I would like to do that as well" so that's how I got into ROM hacking, Im still new, but I've read most tutorials I can find here, and on youtube.I think I Rom hack because it's fun seeing the creation you make, after spending so much time on it.

RedJ
December 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Simple- its fun. And also, I think that we all love Pokemon games, and I do to, I've pratically grown with them, my first one being Yellow version way back when it was first released. But I find one problem- the games are just to light-hearted. They'll have just one little touch of an OMG moment that grabs you (ex: The incident with Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquayza in R/S/E), but they have no true plot other than Gotta Catch em All, and thats really old now. Seriously, how many times CAN you catch em all? (DONT ANY OF YOU DARE SAY OVER 9000). Its my mission to give people a look at the darker side of Pokemon, making them more mature...and I want to make a group that doesnt tell you everything about their plans( seriously...Team Galactic FAILED).

andrian
December 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I ROM hack because I finally get to fix all the little things I wished had been in the originals. I get to make the game the way I think it was supposed to be - without all the extortion and marketing. I get to make the Pokemon game I dreamed of but never got to play.

hayitsCARLOS
December 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I do it to pass time, it's also really fun!

koolaroo
December 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I would like to hack but i dont know how. how do i learn how to hack? if yyou have any ways to help me learn tell me.

interdpth
December 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I started to hack because I have no artistic abilities or musical, thus I can't make my own game.

And what you can do sometimes is hilarious.

ASM hacking ftw.

The dude
December 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
for money

...money ftw!

*~Frost Umbreon~*
December 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't really hack majorly, I can just change the starters around, and it's fun.

Seadiga
December 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I like hacking because I can change the map and events.I'm trying to find all the tools i need though

BananasGoMoo
December 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
i just started hacking and the reason I want to is because I always get annoyed when you can't catch all the pokemon with just one game

xD

Pokedra
December 18th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I admit I don't like some bits of hacking and I do like some bits.

I like making maps and changing trainers but I don't scripting and using Advance Text to get the text I want is boring.

Hacking is just something I do once in a while.

wolverfrog
December 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
to prove to ourselves that life isn't a string of governed scripted events, we can beat the system and climb out of the pit of uncertainty we have been digging for ourselves.

Also, because it=fun

Jelze
December 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
I do it for a little bit of fun and to see the games differently.

Tré
December 22nd, 2008, 02:48 AM
just for fun...oye...i love rom hacking..

Pokepal17
December 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I first got into Rom Hacking after watching a walkthrough of Shiny Gold. I didn't know that it was a hack and games could be made into roms and emulated.

So I started to Rom Hack because I wanted to be like Zel xD.

Now I Rom Hack, partly as a hobby and partly as to give something back to all the people in these forums.

Cid
December 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Its not really my position to talk about this because I don't feel like hacking anymore, but I once hacked anyway...

It's because I've always wanted to design/create my own Pokémon game.
I really have, when I was young, and it had been my dream, until I found out that it was possible through hacking.

[K]evin "The Last Eeveon"
December 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I hack so I can show that we are better at making games then Nintendo. Also Its a hobby of mine

michaelh
December 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I think I speak for many people here, not just myself, when I say that a big reason that I got into hacking Pokémon games is because before I knew it was possible, it seemed impossible. To put yourself in circumstance you never knew could be possible (i.e. to create your own Pokémon game) seems like a really cool thing. And I suppose to me, it does.

That's not the only reason, though. Many parts of ROM hacking are extremely challenging, and challenges, especially overcoming them, are a great stimulant for me. Especially starting scripting has been an enjoyable experience for me. It allows you to express exactly how you want the game to behave, if you can do it correctly (which is the challenge!).

FLOOTENKERP
December 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
cuz making your own version of a game makes you feel good about yourself.

dialga2103
January 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
why do we rom hack
its our own pokemon game,
no legal rights say we cant make it turn into a 12+ instead of 3+, we can put what ever we want into these games, our little world. also we can cheat, lv.100 starters and lv.100
arceus on the first route, all the enemies can only have lv.1 magikarps. also we canget to the elite four withna few seconds.
and soooo many more possibilities

blkmagic445
January 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
I hack because when you know how to use all the tools your only limitation is what you can think up. you can make anyone anywhere say anything you want! total freedom

SmashLucario
January 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Haxing FTW :D

Why play games when you can make them?

Yuritale
January 8th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Because the original is always too easy. The remake of Diamond I'm working on ( sadly, no mapping / scripting but reworked all wild pokemon / trainer and some sprites. ) is hard as hell.

Ninja Caterpie
January 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I've got a new reason.

I just like to map.

Not because it's Pokemon. I just like mapping with Pokemon tiles

wolf
January 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Reason: Mapping is very fun! I love using tiles from Pokemon. It has you be creative! Which is what I like! =3

PokeFreakBror
January 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
I think poeple hack because... when they have like completed all the games you get inspired by those games so you wanna make your own. That's how i feel!

chelly1107
February 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
i'm taking a game designing course in college. Its to improve my story-making skills, map making, and for fun^_^

Donutprince
March 8th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Why do i hack?
its sort of like coolboyman with out the nintedo call but mines more recent ish
well when i was 10 i finally got my first video game :( but that's not the point
2 months later i bought fire red (which is why i mostly hack fire red) and i can still rember how i wished i could edit it and change the random sayings that nintendo made people say infact b4 i learned about hacking i was planing a game out (i don't know why but it was for emrald) that would be called pokemon- *pokemon dramatic music*sand stone
so i just been hooked ever since i downloaded vba

Nikkie.
March 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I like to hack bacause; My dream was to create my own game, featuring things by me.
Regardless If im good at It or not.
However It does get annoying, so I have to take breaks now and then.

UltraXTheMagmaDrapion
March 9th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I like hacking because it is awesome and i enjoy it. And also because i love the idea of sometime, being well known (Whether just here or over the internet) for being the creator of an awesome game.You may not have seen it just yet, but soon my first hack thread will be posted!

Poke_a_Dialga!
March 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
I've always dreamt of making my own game and this fullfilled (<- did i spell that rite?) my dream.

toniblade
March 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
I really love hacking and learning to hack. When I learn something new it feels so great. I just love it!

MEGAS
March 23rd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Yes,Hacking is all fun and makes you feel happy for your creative and hardwork.http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3374215513_e3b947309e_o.jpg

Suro
March 27th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Its feeling of making something great like when spending lots of time making a game, putting all your ideas into it then looking back saying 'i made that game' and other people like its even better. Ive only just started hacking recently after looking on the internet to see if nintendo was going to make a g/s remake then google showed me zels shiny gold and pokecommunity and i thought would try and learn to make an awsome game like shiny gold or DJG's ruby destiny series

Air Lock
March 31st, 2009, 01:56 AM
I like to hack because........
I'm creative......
And I've been doing it for 3-4 months now!
It separates me and my family apart. I think i'm going to come out with a Pokemon Diamond devamp.

Sloofish
March 31st, 2009, 03:21 AM
Because Pokémon doesn't have enough Pokémon(Sure, please. LMAO)

Because there aren't enough original stories with original characters. Because when I get older--I want it to be darker, grungier and meaner. Because you don't often see it from Team Rocket's point of view and because just face it, you'll never be able to catch a trainer in the wild and then teach them funny sounding attacks without ROM hacking.

Everything I wanna see in the game? I have the power to do it so why not? I think it also teaches a lot of people about trial and error--and sheer effort becoming worthwhile. When you see something, wonder why no one else has thought of it or invented it---and YOU have the power to do it yourself, it asks the question "will you or won't you?"

It's not just GBA ROMS, it's Fakémon toys, Doujinshi for Fakémon Manga, Fakémon sketches and Fakémon card trading. It's just fun..!

Nearsighted king of Ice
April 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
i hack cuz just playing hacks is boring i want to make hacks myself instead of playing what others made

My Cyndaquil is on Fire!
April 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
The reason why I hack is I love pokemon games and I always wanted to make my own game so what can I do to complete my wishes?
ROM Hacking!

Sakari
April 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I hack because it make's other's happy, when they see a new hack out
they can't wait to play it and they get excited for it.
So i try my best to hack every day to learn new things
some thing's are hard for me to do but i never give up on them.

KiraIchigo
April 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
i do it because I think its fun. Plus my friends think it's cool I can do that sort of thing.

Master Terrador
April 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
I do it because I get bored of playing the same Pokemon storyline over and over...I like to mix it up in my own image...

specialjerm
April 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
I actually do it for fun. My friend got into Mario hacking so I decided to make Pokemon hacks.

I actually started soon after I found out about WaH, which was a couple of years ago. At the time, I only knew how to do simple text/map edits. Now, since I'm more computer-savvy than I was back then, I'm getting into the more complex things such as replacing graphics and scripting events.

I also feel as if the official Pokemon games get boring after a while, so I want to make a game that's challenging, but at the same time, fun.

notbob
April 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Cuz I'm making it better!!!!

NatureKeeper
May 24th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Why do I edit? Umm...

I always had a dream to make my very own Pokémon game. Me and my sister imagined this since we were young. Time passed and I lost my Leafgreen, Firered and Emerald T_T. Now all what remained was my ruby. One day, I was looking online for vedios of Pokémon Ruby. I found a vedio called Pokémon Ruby Destiny xxxxxx. 'Huh? What is ruby destiny another new Pokémon game?!' I clicked play, and I found the game nice. I kept searching, then I found: Pokemon Ruby Destiny- Reign of Legends on The Pokécommunity forums.. I discovered everything that moment. I played Ruby Destiny (MAN! RUBY's TRASH TO THAT STUFF!) :). I found the best game I have ever played on GBA. So, I decided to make my own for other people to enjoy playing. It was very fun. I began learning step by step until it seemed now that I can do Shade Mew solo. I hack for fun. That's all.

Also, my dream is to be a Computer Programmer. This trains me up.

Super Pichu
May 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The reason I hack is because i like to create the perfect pokemon yourself.

Satoshi Ookami
May 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Why we do hacks?
That's very hard question to answer...
My opinion is that I wanna try how much I can do and also make other pokemon fans happy that they can play something what they never saw.
Also I like to work in team and Rom-hacking is sure something what ya should do in team.
And the last thing is people here at PC especially you djg. I want to use the moments I'm here to learn new things.

KieronGames
June 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I rom-hack because i saw someone called patland12345 from youtube it seemed fun so i found some lessons on there then i realised i needed a lot of programs and i learned to rom-hack by the time it was my birthday which was 9 months ago but i still need more lessons for:
1.scripting(crashes when i go into them)
2.text editing
If anyone can teach me PM me

Arrlop
June 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
it's just simple fun and easy way to personalize your favorite games

Genesis_1234
June 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Why? For several reasons. Because I'm totally new at this. Because I want to enrich my mind with unique and interesting knowledge. Because I want a challenge (after I finish the official Pokemon games). And most importantly, because I've played so many hacks, and I wanted to contribute to the great realm of rom-hacking, for it has benefited me greatly.

PlatniumPiano
June 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
A creative output. Something to do. Programming experience. Learn your way around computers. Skills with paint! There' s so many perks to hacking... not to mention its fun and perfectly legal!

Chibi Robo
June 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Well when I was 10 I looked on youtube for some pokemon cheats and to my surprise I found pokemon shiny gold as the most viewed so I looked at it and it said it was a pokemon "hack" so then I started looking up video's on pokemon hacks but I couldn't get WinRAR since my parent's wouldn't let me

2 years later I got my own computer a windows vista so I finaly started to ROM hack this was about the same time I started to do spriting
I did very basic things like editing. It's been almost a year now and I certainly surpased my nooby days.

So Really if you love what you do keep on doing it~

Shadow-Lugia
June 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Before I Start, I'd Like To Say, Yes, I Hack, No, I'm No Good, And No, I Will Probably Never Get To The Point Where I Make A Decent One And Release It.

Now, I Guess I Started Hacking When I Got VBA, I Played A Bit, Then Got Bored, Back Then Thought Putting In AR Codes Was Called "Hacking" So I Searched For "Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Hacks" And Boom, I Start Finding Hacks To Play, Then I Wished I Could Make My Own, And I Find AdvanceMap/Text/Mart/Starter And All That Other Stuff.

Now If Only I Could Script.....:disappoin

dracoseeker1
August 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ive always wanted to make a game called pokemon fables: the all seeing eye. it has 6 main islands that you travel through you can obtain all legendaries and 3 new ones. the main legendary in the game is Foraga. its two regular are blind, but it has an eye on his head with the ability to see into the past, and future, and just about everything else. to get to his temple, you need to have the light amulet, wich you get if you defeat Yingara, and the dark amulet, wich you get if you defeat Yangarus. Ive drawn the whole game on graphing paper, but i dont have the skill to do it on advanced map. ive loved pokemon ever sinse i was little, it was always one of my goals to make a pokemon game. i just need better skills at advanced map. that is why i want to Rom hack.

watch for pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of the sky in stores everybody! woohoo! XD

all my friends are pokemon geeks as well and being able to qwork together with all of my friends on this game would be amazing, getting to know them better and such. but the main reason i want to rom hack is to show people what i can do because i have never been good at anything, i want to show people what a 12 year olds mind can do.

I think my reason for hacking is that when I started (in 2004/2005) I was curious I was just surfing the internet looking for pokemon stuff...
I found a so called ROM and I played it on my VBA loved it..:D
But as soon as I tried to find more ROMs I found non official pokmon games...
Then I tried to find info about that and so oon I got involved in hacking and I loved it (still do) and I never stopped its my nr. 1 hobby..XD So the readon is I think computer addiction and my love for pokemon...and out of that comes rom hacking...

I think I will be hacking pokemon untill I get bored of it (never) or get to old to do it..XD

Holy crap its a sugimori!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christos
August 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Don't post in threads that are over a month old, please.