PDA

View Full Version : Best Instant Messenger?

Luigi-San
June 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM
MSN for me.... ;) :P

~Raikou

Kipkip
June 29th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I like MSN because you can do many more things than I could in AIM and Yahoo! MSN also looks a lot better than the plain interface of Yahoo! and AIM.

MidKnight
June 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM
lol Yahoo! If you have the new version of yahoo you know its good. I personaly think that is good cause of the audibles :)

lil' jose
June 29th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I have aim and msn but I like aim better

usami
June 29th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I think ICQ is the best it looks the best anyway ^.^

Flaming Torchic
June 29th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I have to go with MSN.

Not only does MSN have all of the things that the other IMS have, but it also has a lot more quirks like the ability to change your name, and some cool little voice things that you can get if you have MSG plus. Also, MSN has the best smileys out of all of the IMs; there's so many to choose from, and they all look so good, that it's easy to find the perfect smiley to express your emotion through IM.

*~Ashley~*
June 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I'd have to go with MSN too. I only really use AIM and MSN though. I have Yahoo but no one I know uses it... and if they do they have one of the others too. I do like the ability to change your name whenever you want. On AIM I'm stuck looking at snowangel3181988 or the one my friend made me make yesterday! ILiveOffH2O! Another reason I guess I like MSN better is because I use it more now. AIM I usually just use for my RL friends that talk to me online... and that's usually only one. I use MSN much more frequently. And it also has the ability to add people into a convo without having to start a seperate chatroom like you do with AIM...

Dizzy
June 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM
AIM because most of my friends have it, It's the easiest to use (not to mention easiest to get). It was the First Im system I got.

MSN on the other hand, would be a better choice for the "talker" seeing that you can have more than one conversation at a time. MSN also has that sleek look that no other IM system has.

Kairi
June 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Best client? Trillian in my opinion. Its very easy with no unneeded junk the other IM clients but on your machine, its easy to meld all the services into one, and its got almost all the functionality of the other clients plus a lot of common sense options the others dont have. Also very skinable, if youre into that. Add a wealth of plugins and all the convenience it has~

Now as far as the services? As I said they mostly seem the same to me, but

AIM lets you add people without their knowing, good and bad. Its also got nice info like how long theyve been away and etc.

MSN Most people at PC use this, so Im on it a lot. People are aware when you add themgood and bad once again. And when you use their actual client, you can voice chat which is pretty cool.

Gr8person62.2
June 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I think everyone likes MSN because Microsoft made it. They have too much money to make it better.. Meh~, still my favourite anyway, even though I'm anti-Microsoftish..

aRedMoon
June 29th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I go with AIM. I'll list my "Goods" about each though.

AIM ~ Chat rooms, file sending, DeadAIM (ph34r it!), away messages, the profiles, linking (if you like that stuff), easy to sign up
MSN ~ Uh, name changing. And that's about it for MSN... >>
YIM ~ I like in the new one that you can hide from certain people. And the voice chat system works GREAT.
ICQ ~ Don't even ask. Because there is none.

Now for the "bads"
AIM ~ It has a rather ugly look, but it is pretty easier skinned. Also non-hacked AIM has the ugly ads.
MSN ~ Convos like to hurt my computer... T_T, Windows Messanger sucks, File sending sucks, and it takes forever to sign up for. Plus you need the e-mail address for when you sign-up.
YIM ~ It's ugly, and no one uses it. >>;;
ICQ ~ SPAM! >.<;;;;;;;

Trillian is okay, but I don't like how it works. I'd rather have the Buddy Lists seperated, like how AIM does the linking. That's nice. :)

But if you ever want a real chat, go with IRC.

Kipkip
June 29th, 2004, 08:07 PM
I think everyone likes MSN because Microsoft made it. They have too much money to make it better.. Meh~, still my favourite anyway, even though I'm anti-Microsoftish..
I don't like MSN because Microsoft made it. I hate all thing Microsoft except for MSN and the XBox. That's pretty much it.
As for clients, I used to like Trillian but hhan I switched to Linux so now I can't use it. :disappoin

Hiroshi Sotomura
June 29th, 2004, 09:21 PM
In terms of service, AIM. Yahoo and MSN don't offer all their features in their official Mac clients. AIM for Mac offers most features, but if Mac users want Video Chat and Audio Chat, they need to get iChat AV. iChat AV is available with Panther, or bought seperately (which I have the seperate version). It's really good, supports all of the features and adds audio and video chat with Mac and Windows users.

MSN has no good features on the Mac version. No display pictures, no games, no video chat, no audio chat...
Yahoo is similar.

Attached: iChat screenshot.

Gr8person62.2
June 29th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Ooh, thats lame. Poor mac users. I only y00s the chat part of IMs. Smilies too, but I use nothing more. I have completely other apps for Audio/Video. I never play the games, they're lame too. Hmm.. I'm too simple.

Hiroshi Sotomura
June 29th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Meh, who likes MSN when you could talk to the main community administrators with AIM? It's just better, to use I find (not the Windows client x_x).

aaaaaa
June 30th, 2004, 01:06 AM
AIM and MSN, in that order.
I use MSN almost exclusively to talk to certain girlies from PC, though.

PGN
June 30th, 2004, 03:49 AM
MSN all the way! Most of my freinds [+ online freinds] use that more than AIM

Sakura and Espeon
June 30th, 2004, 08:46 AM
MSN is better because the eye candy... AIM just look bland.... but the only thing about it is direct sending with images and sounds. ^_^

Merzbau
June 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM
i like msn better cuz u can change ur display name and the emoticons are better...etc only thing yahoo has better is the LAUNCHcast radio i always listen to that

Sojaro
June 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I use MSN mostly... AIM rarely loads on my computer, ICQ is just useless, and Yahoo is... well you get the Idea

Zuki
June 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I think MSN is best. ^_^ Because AIM doesn't look very good, and it annoys me. X3

Geometric-sama
July 2nd, 2004, 05:10 AM
MSN crashes my computer, but I'll go with it because no one uses YIM, and both YIM and AIM get way too much spim. Never touched ICQ.

PGN
July 2nd, 2004, 05:40 AM
In terms of service, AIM. Yahoo and MSN don't offer all their features in their official Mac clients. AIM for Mac offers most features, but if Mac users want Video Chat and Audio Chat, they need to get iChat AV. iChat AV is available with Panther, or bought seperately (which I have the seperate version). It's really good, supports all of the features and adds audio and video chat with Mac and Windows users.

MSN has no good features on the Mac version. No display pictures, no games, no video chat, no audio chat...
Yahoo is similar.

Attached: iChat screenshot.

If only my friends had audio chat enabled! Or the...whats it called? the thing for video...erm, oh you get the point!

I usually use a program called "Fire" because it's a multi-chat client that includes AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, Jabber, ICQ, and IRC

asher_son_of_ash
July 2nd, 2004, 11:17 PM
MSN, no doubt. o.o; I liked its features and its way of blocking certain people on your list until you decide to un-block them. Yahoo! makes you ignore people NOT on your list, but it only ignores until you come online but I STILL like Yahoo! [Second Place] =P

I never used other chat clients, though, so I don't know what they're like. o.o;

LanceLite
July 3rd, 2004, 12:18 AM
MSN all the way!!! its got my vote cos.......

its got everything
it lets me change my username
it lets me get new avatars

...uh ... and alot of other things.

Kayleigh
July 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Well, if YIM were prettier, and more people used it, then I would pick that. The reasons that I like it are:

- You can go on 'Invisible Mode', and appear offline, but still get to talk to the people that you want. It helps majorly if a lot of annoying people send you messages. MSN allows you to appear offline, but you can't talk to anyone. AIM doesn't even have that option, from what I know.

- You can send offline messages to people, that will appear as soon as they log in, and they can reply back. I love that! People don't have to wait for me to come online to tell me something. They can leave, and I'll get to see their message as soon as I log in.

- When someone adds you to their contact list, a message pops up notifying you, and there is also a place where the person could type a message to you, maybe telling you who they were and everything.

- There are several different skins that you can use, including one which is decorated like a comic book page. I've had so much fun roleplaying with my friends on that. One picture of a guy shows up when I send a message, and it has the text that I typed in a speech circle thing, like he's talking. Then, when my friend sends another message, it shows a picture of a different guy talking. And each time the guys' expressions are different, so it's like they're actually talking to each other! It's hard to explain; I'd have to get a screenshot to show what I mean.

Those are some of the reasons why it beats out the others, in my opinion. There are some things that I wish YIM had, but maybe one day it will get them.

I'm on AIM and MSN more only because most of my friends are on those.

Chairman Kaga
July 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Well I'm mainly an AIM user, but I downloaded MSN messenger today and I think that once I start chatting on it more I'm going to prefer it...it's so much better-looking than AIM...but I won't forget AIM entirely, I have friends who use it exclusively o_o;;

Sakura and Espeon
July 3rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
but the cons of MSN Messenger that it's bloated and it freezes alot..

I use Windows Messenger... the non-boated verson of MSN Messenger. =P

100marios
July 3rd, 2004, 05:37 PM
I really like the whole look and feel of MSN messenger, but I just can't get it to work very well. I also heard it's safer then most of the other messengers out there, making it harder to hack. I wish I could use it, but I can't sign in for some reason...
*shrugs*
Ah well, AIM works for me anyday!

Sakura and Espeon
July 3rd, 2004, 05:39 PM
You can use a alt. verson of MSN called Windows Messenger if you have 2000 or XP. ^_^

it's much better than msn 6...

PichuSecretBase
July 3rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
MSN is awesome with smileys, avatars, name, but aim is smaller,louer and rings if hte windows open so AIM all the way.

aaaaaa
July 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
MSN messenger never freezes for me, funnily enough.
And Windows Messenger is the same program, in an older form.
Currently it's only up to v5.
It uses a different file sending protocol, but that's it.
Otherwise, it's identical.

*~Ashley~*
July 3rd, 2004, 06:21 PM
Well, if YIM were prettier, and more people used it, then I would pick that. The reasons that I like it are:

- You can go on 'Invisible Mode', and appear offline, but still get to talk to the people that you want. It helps majorly if a lot of annoying people send you messages. MSN allows you to appear offline, but you can't talk to anyone. AIM doesn't even have that option, from what I know.

AIM does have an invisible mode. It's that little eye thing. I've never used it so I don't know for certain how it works... but it is there.

I do like MSN better mostly because more people tend to use it. AIM is nice too though. I like the ability to create a profile that says whatever you want it to... at the moment mine is just a bunch of random inside jokes between me and my best friend. And away messages are nice too... that way I can leave but if someone needed to tell me something they could leave a message. But either way... I do use both MSN and AIM constantly so it does make it hard to choose between the two...

Geometric-sama
July 4th, 2004, 04:30 AM
I used to use Trillian but it got really annoying. Main reason I used it was because I had 2 MSN addresses, but I scrapped one.

aRedMoon
July 4th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Trillian would be better if it split up the buddy lists... >>;

Or if it didn't take so long to load. But I do like how I can have like 3 or 4 MSN open at once... that's quite nice. Almost as nice as DeadAIM cloning.

nayana_1120
July 6th, 2004, 07:28 AM
The only thing I have at the moment is MSN. o_O;;
I'm considering getting something else, but I donno what. *shrug*
It confuses me to no end.

perthskies
July 6th, 2004, 05:42 PM
MSN Messenger is my preference... however, sometimes it tends to sign you out unexpectedly. Trillian is good, but I found it a bit hard to use in terms with organising contacts.

Gr8person62.2
July 6th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I really like the whole look and feel of MSN messenger, but I just can't get it to work very well. I also heard it's safer then most of the other messengers out there, making it harder to hack. I wish I could use it, but I can't sign in for some reason...
*shrugs*
Ah well, AIM works for me anyday!
Yea, It's a lot harder to hack indeed I'm not sure how much harder it is exactly because I'v never even touched other IM's. In fact I'v never even seen their UI's but I'v heard a lot on the internet about certain "tricks" you can do, especially on ICQ. But I'v analyzed MSN in a lot of ways, and I can tell you, it's virtually unhackable. The only way it can be hacked is from your own stupidy of downloading a script or a patch of some sort. well, at least thats what I found out. There are a lot of interesting tricks you can do with MSN and Messenger together, such as finding out who on your contact list has you blocked :P

Overall MSN is way betterest. The only problem is that eveyone else has to use other IM's. Why can't everyone in the world use the same? :laugh:

MoonLight
July 6th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I like Msn the best, But it tends to have it's moments like logging me in and out for no reason XD But I still like it alot of features

Gr8person62.2
July 6th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Yea, Microsoft like to do a lot of maintainance on their servers, so they log you out(crule!). They actually do warn you 5 minutes before. This message pops up and tells you, but sometimes it doesn't. You can try signing in again, if it doesn't work, close MSN, and open it up again and keep trying to sign in. It will eventually try a different server that hasn't been shut down.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
July 6th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I have all of them. I like AIM the most, I guess because it's so customizable, and easy to use. MSN is my second choice, since the chats with PC members are so fun, but it's unorganized, kinda. YIM and ICQ are hardly ever used by me, so I don't really like them.

Gr8person62.2
July 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Is there a "universal" IM that supports them all? Or more importantly, MSN and AIM in 1? If so, if it worth it? I'm not getting it if it's turdworthy

Lokhlan
July 6th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Bleh... I use them all...

I do like icq a lot though. Go ICQ Go!

Is there a "universal" IM that supports them all? Or more importantly, MSN and AIM in 1? If so, if it worth it? I'm not getting it if it's turdworthy

Yes, I used to have it on my old computer, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember the site or the name. You could try googling it.

Try: "Universal IM"

aRedMoon
July 6th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Trillian will let you log in with them all...

I don't like how when you get the big convos going on MSN, it like locks up the computer...

Gr8person62.2
July 6th, 2004, 09:28 PM
No it doesn't.. you just need more RAM:P See, I have this hack that bypasses the 400 character limit, and I can post 1100 character, and I make them all smilies and send to teh people I'm annoyed at. It freezes their computer, and I laugh till I brake my lung.

aRedMoon
July 6th, 2004, 11:00 PM
I have half a gig of RAM... >>

And you should be shot for doing that evil thing with smilies! ><

perthskies
July 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM
No it doesn't.. you just need more RAM:P See, I have this hack that bypasses the 400 character limit, and I can post 1100 character, and I make them all smilies and send to teh people I'm annoyed at. It freezes their computer, and I laugh till I brake my lung.

Now that's just wrong, and ruins the purpose of Instant Messaging. Emoticons are there to help express your message further, not as the main body of your message.

--White Wolf--
July 6th, 2004, 11:29 PM
MSN all the way!!!!

Greetz,

WW

Gr8person62.2
July 7th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Now that's just wrong, and ruins the purpose of Instant Messaging. Emoticons are there to help express your message further, not as the main body of your message.

Your point being? It's helping me express the fact that I'm pissed at these people and they deserve to have their computer hung while playing their l4m3r counterstrike game and was about to win but got disconnected and was kicked out of their clan because they made them l00se and never spoke to me again! It should teach you never to have MSN open while doing important stuff.

perthskies
July 7th, 2004, 12:23 AM
I do not wish to argue with you, but you're just making it worse by continuing to make contact with them. The block feature exists for a reason, so I'd advise you to use it instead of continuing to flame your enemies.

IceKitten
July 7th, 2004, 12:35 AM
AIM for meh

It's s simple, yay

Gr8person62.2
July 7th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I do not wish to argue with you, but you're just making it worse by continuing to make contact with them. The block feature exists for a reason, so I'd advise you to use it instead of continuing to flame your enemies.

Thanks for your advice, but I'l take care of my enimies in my own way. I always make it fun:P