PDA

View Full Version : Is money the answer to everything?

Romance Hero
November 27th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Do you think money is all you need, and it can buy you anything and everything you need in the world? (I wonder if anyone knows the Richard Cory poem) I know this is a common question, but I'd like a debate here. ^^

Wish
November 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I don't think so. Money cannot buy you true friends that stand by your side. Sure money can buy you material goods, what will happen to it once you die? Your friends will like you if you're rich or poor.

♥~*Abby*~♥
November 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
"Money can't buy happiness." This famous quote is so true...

Waffle-San
November 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM
^Rai's right there, money can get you alot of things but there's always something it can't. For Everything esle there's master card

Shiny Umbreon
November 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM
"Money can't buy happiness." This famous quote is so true...
Actually, it's "Money can't buy happiness, but it surely does help."

Really, money is absolutely everything in this world. Of course, you can't buy things like love (actually, even that is possible nowadays, sadly) but you still can't live just from love.

Romance Hero
November 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Well... I'd like all of you to look at this guy (http://www.biography.com/search/article.do?id=9511238) and see how much of a swagger he has

Azonic
November 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Heh, so far in my life i think money is most important

Astinus
November 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM
It's nice to have money, which I now know since I have to earn it. I mean, without money, I wouldn't be able to buy food, clothes, shelter. You know, the basic necessities to live. But how much of a human would I be? No matter how much money I have, it would never buy me the friends that I have now, or the man I love, or any of the things that truly make me happy.

Dogar The Brave
November 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Quote:

:Can't buy me Love, love, can't by me love, no.

: All you need is love.

: Oh can't you see what love has done, what it's doing to me?

If the world had to choose between money and love. Love should be the answer.

Jack O'Neill
November 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'll have to go with the practical answer: Money, and lots of it.

Love and happiness don't pay the bills. Love and happiness don't put a roof over your head. Love and happiness don't put food in your stomach. Love and happiness don't get you from point A to point B. Love and happiness won't get you a college degree.

RYOUKI
November 27th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Um, Well.
I think Money is the source of happiness o.o;;
I mean Money can make us happy, love and happiness you can get it for free, but food, shelter, education... I don't think so.

Erimgard
November 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Money is definitely NOT everything
There are plenty of rich people who hate their lives, and poor people who love their lives. The opposite is true as well. Love alone doesn't provide for your physical needs

Dogar The Brave
November 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
What sort of horrible thread is this?

Let's just say - both.

Romance Hero
November 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM
What sort of horrible thread is this?

Let's just say - both.

What sort of blunt answer is this? How unclear and indecisive. :/

Well, after you think of it a while, each has more strength than the other in lacking areas. A rich boy may not have true friends who only use him for his vast amount of money, however, this doesn't mean he will die of starvation, as long as he has money.

A socio pro such as a lover or friendly person who is not rich may have good friends and the best significant other for him/her, and that may be all he/she needs in life. Of course, you miss out on the extras like having a nice car, or easily manipulate a variety of things.

I'd choose to be rich in friends and loved ones than having dead presidents as the only friends I have, I'd have to trade them away for something I want. What kind of friend does that.

Snivi
November 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM
No, not really! But there are a lot of things that could be fixed with it.

Souless
November 27th, 2007, 10:10 PM
View it this way, money can't buy happiness, but can buy stability.

One of the main reasons of depresion are economic problems, so it takes part in the happiness part.

Just consider it this way, as long as you have money you can focus on the most important aspects of your live, family and friends, but if you don't have money then you need to make a living for yourself so you can be relaxed and enjoy the time with them.

It's a hard question, but it can be reduced to this, if I had to choose between tons of money and my friends, then I would choose my friends =]

"Give each thing the importance it needs, never give anything more importance than it needs or less that it deserves"

Maria Santos
November 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
The Lord and his word fills me with joy and happiness. Money will just add more to my happiness!:D

Seremiya
November 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Money has its purpose and it can improve your standards of living but they're obviously those things that money could never get you~
So overall I say money isn't everything.
Although it wouldn't hurt to have more of it. ^^

Lash
November 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Sure, money can help through bad times, and help one get what one wants, but the wanting would turn into greed. Happiness>Greed.
Though I did vote yes in the money poll thing, and sure money can help with happiness, loads of it can corrupt someone.

Lady Nicole
November 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think money is important but I don't think it's the most important thing in life. What some people don't know is that the purpose of life is to enjoy it. Money can be a small part of this but there are far more important things than being rich. Sure, being rich is great! And being poor can make life more difficult...but all in all, you don't need to be rich to be happy.

Warheart
November 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Having money is always a plus, and I'm gonna be entirely realistic here...

No, money is not the answer to everything. i would much rather be with the people I love, my friends, and family than just have money to make me happy. I mean, eventually just going out and buying material things all the time would just get boring, and I would rather spend my time talking to the people in my life than just having the best..crap..

Lumine
November 28th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I don't have any financial problems at the moment but I don't mind having the extra bits =P, but I have to agree with the saying "Money is the root of all evil" loads of greedy corruption these days thanks to the obsession for power and fame =\ Money can't buy you friends (they'll just leech off you) and obviously it is not the answer to everything.

Shiny Umbreon
November 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Quote:

:Can't buy me Love, love, can't by me love, no.

: All you need is love.

: Oh can't you see what love has done, what it's doing to me?

If the world had to choose between money and love. Love should be the answer.
Can you eat love? Can love save you from cold? Can love cure you from a disease? No, then you die in a few days. I know it's important but not more than money, at least in this world.

*goes to Dream Land* 8D

Ryoutarou
November 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Gonna agree with Shiny Umbreon. Obviously money can't buy everything, but back in real people land, it's a one of the major routes to just being able to live a stable life, so I guess in that sense it can buy happiness, but that's more of the happiness that a parent feels when they know their child has a warm place to sleep for the night.

Loyal Arcanine
November 29th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Maybe it's not the answer to everything, but it certainly is to a lot of things. :P

Binary
November 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
For everything theres money but For love and friend's, money just ain't the answer to it.

~Celebi

Sushi.
November 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Money not the answer to life it's only good for buying things that you want to buy not for your intire life.

Alakazam17
November 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Money makes the world go round. That is why we are all dizzy.

As an anarchist, I hate money, and what it does to people. The majority of crimes on this planet happen as a result of money. That should be incentive enough to get rid of it. It only exists because we don't trust one another; for instance, you pay someone to work for you because you think he won't help you any other way. If we went back to more peaceful means of trade as our ancestors had, we'd finally become a respectable people.

Jack O'Neill
November 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
As an anarchist, I hate money, and what it does to people. The majority of crimes on this planet happen as a result of money. That should be incentive enough to get rid of it. It only exists because we don't trust one another; for instance, you pay someone to work for you because you think he won't help you any other way. If we went back to more peaceful means of trade as our ancestors had, we'd finally become a respectable people.
Your lack of understanding of human nature amuses me.

Even if you can take away money, you can't take away general self-interest. Instead of using money to pay for what they need, people will resort to larceny, assault, battery, and outright murder in order to accomplish what writing a check, swiping a credit card, or simply handing over cash can do. If crime was bad with money factored in, it would become worse if it was taken out of the equation.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
November 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
"Money doesn't make the world go around. [there was another part to this quote but I'm so freaking tired that I dont remember]"

I just don't like the concept of money.

Melody
November 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Money cant buy everything. But yet it has it's part. So, while I dont need lots of money it does play it's part in making life liveable. So as long as I have enough money to get my basic needs I'm happy.

But, I wouldnt mind having a lot of money either :P
There are some things i could do with that money that would be useful and some of it even fun xD

Allen-kun
November 30th, 2007, 06:20 AM
It depends.

But money is important in life.

Alot of people would be unhappy if they were really poor which resorts to criminal activity.

But having too much money makes people unhappy too, since everyone thinks you're a snob and usually you're being targeted by the poor people.

Even though these things are bad, people need money to live.

Lover's Kite
December 3rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Well, money is a good thing to have, but I would want other things in life. Today the world is too greedy, it is Money Hungry...Anyways, I would like to have lots of money, but remember, Money doesn't allways bring happiness.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
December 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
We need money and it solves many problems you encounter.
If you are LOADED, money isn't a problem.

But Money can't get you most things that the basic human needs.
Just fakes.

Amoeba
December 4th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Sadly, money is necessary for survival for most people in the developed world.

Thing is - I'm a saver, not a spender. If my only joy in life came from spending my money (except for necessities).... I think I'd be pretty depressed.

There's so much more to life than money. So much more.

Hayate
December 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Pretty obvious question with an even more obvious answer to me. Money is always useful, heck required in certain situations (You need to eat/drink everyday and so on) but there are things even money can't give you access to. Friendship. Luck. Enjoying life. Sure I do have money like everyone else here but I just safe it up somewhere and look few months later how many I got. When I check on my money I think 'Fun' and continue saving up just to check a few months later.

Avolition
December 5th, 2007, 11:06 PM
It's not the answer to everything. Just everything I can think of. =\

Oh no! Your house burned down! What will you do?
Buy a new one.

Oh no! Someone robbed a bank and took all your money! What will you do?
You're at a freaking bank, do I have to spell this out for you?

So, yeah. >_>

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM
no and for 2 MAIN reasons, One because of love, if you had the money the person that you love can be using you. And two money can't buy you true friends, they can be using you as well

:t354:TG

DarkGreg
December 8th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Money isn't the answer to everything but at the same time you need money for warmth and shelter.

But friends friends and a family cannot be purchased.