• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jesus and the significance of him and women

Years
Alright so I have an ISU due at school for Tuesday (procrastinator me :D) and I need to find out the significance of Jesus being around women. The only women I really know Jesus being around is Mary Magdalene, his mother Mary, and a few sinner women, like the one from his parable, the woman caught in adultery.

Now I don't know if this is in the right section, since this is the first time I've posted anything ever about religion, so please forgive me if I posted in the wrong spot, I'll be sure to correct my mistakes.

Warning: Please do not flame about religion in this thread. This is for a school project that I need to do, not your views on religion. Please and thank you.

Anywho... I only know of those women that Jesus was with above in the post, I mainly think Jesus was only around men, such as his Apostles. Can anyone please help me out, I'd like to do good on this project.

Thank you. :D
~Relyt

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
Might want to check out Google Scholar or something near that.
I cant think of any other women... Elizabeth maybe? She was his aunt.
Also, the ones who went with Mary Magdalene to his tomb.

Years
Might want to check out Google Scholar or something near that.
I cant think of any other women... Elizabeth maybe? She was his aunt.
Also, the ones who went with Mary Magdalene to his tomb.

I thought Mary Magdalene was the only one by his tomb, then she saw that his body wasn't there, then she spread the Good News?

I got my parents going to the library to get me some books for it, but I'd still rather have a better idea than almost no idea at all.

Elizabeth... I've never heard of Elizabeth before, can you please tell me who she was, I mean, not just who she was, but what she did for Jesus, etc.?

Thanks for your help too. :D

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
Elizabeth was Mary's sister who had John the Baptist who is Jesus' cousin :D
She was of old age so no one thought she would get pregnant, but she did, and when Mary came to visit her when she was pregnant, she said the "Hail Mary" and supposedly John moved inside of her when he was in the presence of Mary and Jesus.
I'm no religious scholar though ^-^;

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
Relyt said:
I thought Mary Magdalene was the only one by his tomb, then she saw that his body wasn't there, then she spread the Good News?
No, there were definitely other women with her. I think that Luke is the only book in the Bible that mentions it being a group, though.
And also, how about the story of Mary and Martha, the two sisters who were friends of Jesus? You can read their story in Luke 10: 38-42. It's pretty famous for its moral lesson.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else! ^^

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
There was also a Samaratin [sp?] woman who he met at the well. He knew all about her past, and that she had 5 husbands in the past and was currently living with a man she was not married to. She believed in him, and so did many of the people in her village that she told.

There was a woman who had an internal bleeding problem for many years. When he was going through a crowd to get to the house of Jairus and heal his dying daughter, the woman touched his robe, and was instantly healed. He stopped and talked with her, and told her it was her faith that healed her.

There was another woman with Mary and Mary Magdelene at the tomb, I belive her name was Salami or something like that...I don't know much about her.

He didn't actually talk to her, but there was a poor widow who gave all she had to the church, and he told the disciples that her gift was worth far more than all the riches that the Pharisees gave to the church

To clarify, the woman caught in in adultery was not a parable...there were actually people who wanted to stone him. The Pharisees asked him what he thought should be done, hoping to trap him. If he said to stone her, then it would go against his message of love, but if he said to let her go, it would go against the laws of Moses.

that's all I can think of now, I'll try and post more later

Years
No, there were definitely other women with her. I think that Luke is the only book in the Bible that mentions it being a group, though.
And also, how about the story of Mary and Martha, the two sisters who were friends of Jesus? You can read their story in Luke 10: 38-42. It's pretty famous for its moral lesson.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else! ^^

So, is Mary Magdalene and Mary of Bethany the same person? If yes, then Mary Magdalene's sister was Martha? There's so many Marys it's confusing. :S Thanks for your help! And now that you mentioned it I read it somewhere but Mary Magdalene was the first in the tomb, then she brought other women. So thanks for pointing that out.

There was also a Samaratin [sp?] woman who he met at the well. He knew all about her past, and that she had 5 husbands in the past and was currently living with a man she was not married to. She believed in him, and so did many of the people in her village that she told.

There was a woman who had an internal bleeding problem for many years. When he was going through a crowd to get to the house of Jairus and heal his dying daughter, the woman touched his robe, and was instantly healed. He stopped and talked with her, and told her it was her faith that healed her.

There was another woman with Mary and Mary Magdelene at the tomb, I belive her name was Salami or something like that...I don't know much about her.

He didn't actually talk to her, but there was a poor widow who gave all she had to the church, and he told the disciples that her gift was worth far more than all the riches that the Pharisees gave to the church

To clarify, the woman caught in in adultery was not a parable...there were actually people who wanted to stone him. The Pharisees asked him what he thought should be done, hoping to trap him. If he said to stone her, then it would go against his message of love, but if he said to let her go, it would go against the laws of Moses.

that's all I can think of now, I'll try and post more later

Thanks a bunch! If you will, could you help me find out who Salami was please?

I need to do at least four sub-topics for my paper, and I've got one so far: Why did Jesus surround himself in women? I'm thinking of using: Who were the women who accompanied Jesus? I need to think of two more by tonight, and thanks again everyone for your help!

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
You're very welcome
And to clarify, Mary Magdelene and Mary of Bethany [also known as 'Bethany beyond Jordon' because there was more than one Bethany in the area] are two different people
Mary of Bethany and Martha were the sister's of Lazarus, the man Jesus raised from the dead.
Mary Magdelene was a woman who had led a sinful life in the past, but become a follower of Jesus.

I'll try to find out more about Salami later today and let you know

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
You could always go look it up in the gospels XD;;

Anyway, there are many more women, though my memory ain't what it used to be.

You have the "bad" woman who washed Jesus' feet with her hair and covered them with perfume. And then there's the woman who wiped His face while he was carrying the cross. Then there's all the one's mentioned above.

k, well Jesus didn't surround himself with women as such (otherwise he'd be a pimp :P). Women, much like the poor, the sick etc., were all marginalised in ancient Jewish society to some degree. Their prominence in the gospels is to show those reading that His message and salvation is for everyone - not just the wealthy and influential.

But yeah, I'll leave it at that. I don't want to sound too preachy ^^; Good luck!

Years
You're very welcome
And to clarify, Mary Magdelene and Mary of Bethany [also known as 'Bethany beyond Jordon' because there was more than one Bethany in the area] are two different people
Mary of Bethany and Martha were the sister's of Lazarus, the man Jesus raised from the dead.
Mary Magdelene was a woman who had led a sinful life in the past, but become a follower of Jesus.

I'll try to find out more about Salami later today and let you know

Alright, thanks, I thought they were the same person for some reason, that'll help me a lot.

You could always go look it up in the gospels XD;;

Anyway, there are many more women, though my memory ain't what it used to be.

You have the "bad" woman who washed Jesus' feet with her hair and covered them with perfume. And then there's the woman who wiped His face while he was carrying the cross. Then there's all the one's mentioned above.

k, well Jesus didn't surround himself with women as such (otherwise he'd be a pimp :P). Women, much like the poor, the sick etc., were all marginalised in ancient Jewish society to some degree. Their prominence in the gospels is to show those reading that His message and salvation is for everyone - not just the wealthy and influential.

But yeah, I'll leave it at that. I don't want to sound too preachy ^^; Good luck!

Don't worry you're not sounding preachy at all, I really want to do good on this project and would like to know everything about it.

I have two subtopics: Why was Jesus always seen with women? And: Who were the women Jesus was accompanied by? I need at least two more, and I really can't think of any.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
I DEFINITELY spelled her name wrong xD
Her name is Salome, and the reason why I couldn't remember much about her is because she is only mentioned twice in the Bible:
1: She was watching with Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Jesus as Jesus died on the Cross
2: She went with the two Marys to anoint Jesus' body with spices after he died and was put in the tomb...

sorry it doesn't give you much to work with :\ but I'll see if I can think of anyone else.

Years
I DEFINITELY spelled her name wrong xD
Her name is Salome, and the reason why I couldn't remember much about her is because she is only mentioned twice in the Bible:
1: She was watching with Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Jesus as Jesus died on the Cross
2: She went with the two Marys to anoint Jesus' body with spices after he died and was put in the tomb...

sorry it doesn't give you much to work with :\ but I'll see if I can think of anyone else.

No no, it helps, thanks a bunch. I never even knew she existed xD.

I think I have all of the research, but as the above post says, I need two more subtopics to work with.

EDIT: Correction, I have one, Drummershuff just gave me another one: Did the women accompanying Jesus play any part in helping Jesus with his teachings?

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
You could do one on the varying personalities/backgrounds of the women he was with
Mary Magdalene was most likely a prostitute before her conversion
Mary the mother of Jesus was the wife of a carpenter
The Samaritan woman was a half-Jew with 5 previous husbands who didn't even dare go to the town well at the same time as the other women because she was ashamed
Mary from Bethany preferred just listening to and being with Jesus
Martha preferred working to show her obedience and love

Years
You could do one on the varying personalities/backgrounds of the women he was with
Mary Magdalene was most likely a prostitute before her conversion
Mary the mother of Jesus was the wife of a carpenter
The Samaritan woman was a half-Jew with 5 previous husbands who didn't even dare go to the town well at the same time as the other women because she was ashamed
Mary from Bethany preferred just listening to and being with Jesus
Martha preferred working to show her obedience and love

Alright, yet again, thank you. If I can't think of anything else I'll definitely use this one. Hopefully it all turns out well. Thanks everyone!

Back