PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever eaten the fruit "Durian"?

spenceroone3
December 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM
If you don't know what "Durian" is, it's a fruit that smells like feet. It has a yellow core, that feels like creamy cheese. It's skin is yellow and very spiky. It tastes better to Asian people than to anybody else, strangely. I haven't eaten it yet, and I don't want to! Have you eaten it yet?

PB
December 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
It sounds awfully sickly, do you have a picture?

spenceroone3
December 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4tmEEDMLtxPj0M:http://www.timwu.org/durian.JPG
There ya go ^

PB
December 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The fruit inside looks like a Kakuna.

They sort of look similar to horse chestnuts

Allen-kun
December 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I have and it does taste pretty good.

But when I eat it, it never smelled bad.

Well I don't recall it smelling bad, but if I did, I wouldn't eat it because that would kinda put me off.

*is asian* Just for the record.

spenceroone3
December 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
What does it taste like? Is it spicy? Bitter? Sweet!?!

Allen-kun
December 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
It taste sweet I suppose.

But what it actually tastes like... I can't really describe since nothing else tastes like it.

So I guess you'll have to eat it to find out.

Wish
December 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
xD I'm an Asian and have never tasted it. If it wasn't for Super Mario Sunshine, I would've never heard of one.

EmpoleMew
December 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
If it wasn't for Super Mario Sunshine, I would've never heard of one.

Me either. I actually thought the fruit was made up in the game. That picture......
It looks like someone cut open a porcupine and filled it with butter.
If it really does smell as bad as the thread starter claims, I don't think I'd want to eat it. You can't enjoy food that stinks. Unless your nose is always congested.....

In other words, I don't think this is a fruit that is even coming into my eyesight. And I love fruit.

Jaimes
December 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Durian is an acquired taste- to me it tastes like moudly butter, almonds and cabbaged mixed together, and it feels like a slug going down your throat. It's smell is so bad it's banned on most public transport.

Malaysians love it though- I once attended a Durian party... Oh dear.

Sushi.
December 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4tmEEDMLtxPj0M:http://www.timwu.org/durian.JPG
There ya go ^

In the inside it looks like some ice cream inside of the spikeyshell but I wouldn't eat that thing.

Firebird306
December 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Me either. I actually thought the fruit was made up in the game.

I thought that too until a minute ago.

The way it tastes according to spenceroone3, turns me completely off and I would never try it. But everyone has different tastes and are exposed to different kinds of food so opinions vary from person to person. I for example despise most fruits and feel sick eating them. @_@ I'm serious...XD

Kayleigh
December 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Oh, I saw that thing in an episode of Bizarre Foods. If I'm not mistaken, it was the ONLY food that the host just couldn't bring himself to eat... which says a lot, if you've ever seen the show before. XD; Apparently the smell was enough to make him choke.

So yeah, I wouldn't touch that thing with a 50-foot pole. Ugh.

Chibi-chan
December 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
There ya go ^

...Is that a cream? o.0
Is it supposed to be eaten or repel things away? D:
I'd try it though.

Durian is an acquired taste- to me it tastes like moudly butter, almonds and cabbaged mixed together, and it feels like a slug going down your throat. It's smell is so bad it's banned on most public transport.

I'd try it though. Nevermind :|

Lumine
December 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I hate this fruit.. it smells like feet, gasoline and old peoples fart mixed together... and it tastes HORRIBLE, no I'm not discouraging any of you but bear in mind, eat at your own risk =|

Chibi-chan
December 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Why is it even considered edible?
Do you eat it raw or with something?

Lumine
December 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Why is it even considered edible?
Do you eat it raw or with something?

Yes you eat it raw
I wish Durian and Papaya never existed...

latioslegends
December 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
That fruit looks a little funky, but it might taste funka to me lol. Sersouily it does look sort of..... unedible

spenceroone3
December 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Jesus... So some people actually know what it is! Thanks guys!

EDIT: Some more Durian pictures... click here. (http://images.google.com/images?q=Durian&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)

waveguidebuizel
December 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Durian? It's really actually pretty good! I haven't eaten one in a long time, though.

It's a fruit native to Southeast Asia. It's sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Eating it gets messy though, because the fruit itself is kind of creamy and gets sticky on your hands. It's good frozen or as an icy smoothie thing. Personally, I think it tastes better chilled. The smell isn't too strong in my opinion, but it does smell like fart.

I think the Durin Berry's name and design is based off of this fruit.

txteclipse
December 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I want to try one. I haven't found a food yet that I don't like (except maybe pea soup). And believe me, I try pretty much anything. Sushi? Naturally. Sardine Smoothie? Yep. Steamed Octopus? You bet. I want to try jellyfish also...

Chuchino
December 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Pardon the strangeness of the following statement, but I sort of think it's hilarious.

Smells awful and has a spiky exterior, rather like a skunk-porcupine hybrid. I've smelled it plenty of times, most of the time wondering if it's as horrible smelling as people say. I don't think it is. D:

Ah, it's an inherited taste. I actually prefer the smell of durian to the smell of olives. xD

Melody
December 6th, 2007, 10:26 PM

*retches* Sounds nasty. I've never tried it before but I'll not try it from the way it sounds

Idiot!
December 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I tried it once, but I don't really like it, and never touched durians again. My whole family likes the fruit though. It has light brown seeds too.

PB
December 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Here Is another picture, it looks diffrent to the first one here, more like a horse chesnut

According to wikipedia, it is quoted as tasting like

"a rich custard highly flavoured with almonds",[

Here Is another couple of pictures, it looks diffrent to the first picture, more like a horse chesnut

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/phoenix_boy/260px-Durio_kutej_F_070203_ime.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/phoenix_boy/180px-Durianpack01.jpg

And Its apparently banned in some places

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/phoenix_boy/140px-Singapore_MRT_Fines.jpg

Jaimes
December 7th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Yeah but it's also quoted as smelling like "pig-'faeces', turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock" and "civet, sewage, stale vomit, skunk spray, and used surgical swabs"

It's the 'King of the Fruits' .. i love that name XD
People either love it or hate it. In the east, Durian parties is essentially a party where you get together to pass around a pile of durians to eat.. yum... XD

Snivi
December 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM
No, and I don't think I want to either.

Jordan
December 7th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Oh that fruit. Yes, I have eaten that fruit and it tasted fine. The part about smelling like feet is....false, really. Smelled nothing like feet to me. In fact, it smelled somewhat sweet.

Jordan.

Eon-Rider
December 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM
My mum likes it but I hate it. I always leave the room when she has it.

Azonic
December 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I have no idea what a durain is.

Ausaudriel
December 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I have no idea what a durain is.
Um, there are pictures and explanations all over this thread. :/

Anyway, I would neeeeever eat one. D: I've heard too many awful things about them. XD;; That's really saying something, too, because generally I love trying new foods.

STEELIXMANIAC
December 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Durians taste bittersweet, depending on the variety (yes, durians have different grades also), but most of the durians I have eaten are very sweet. I don't care much for smell, but my mother cannot stand the smell of durians. She says the smell makes her want to puke.

Garmmon
December 8th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Ate it before. I voted the first option;
Really though, what I like about durian is the taste. So, I kinda like Durian ice-cream and the sort. But when it comes to the actual fruit itself...I'm a bit put off, but I can survive eating it. What puts me off is just that...gooey texture. :P

I doesn't really smell that bad, though it's really up to personal preference, and it seems a lot of people dislike/can't take the smell. I can take it, though in any case, it in no way smells like feet (unless the person has dipped his/her feet in durian).

It tastes mostly sweet, and depending on variety might taste a little bitter. Perhaps a bit like custard. I really don't know how to describe it though.

And yesss, I'm Asian.

STEELIXMANIAC
December 8th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Ate it before. I voted the first option;
Really though, what I like about durian is the taste. So, I kinda like Durian ice-cream and the sort. But when it comes to the actual fruit itself...I'm a bit put off, but I can survive eating it. What puts me off is just that...gooey texture. :P

I doesn't really smell that bad, though it's really up to personal preference, and it seems a lot of people dislike/can't take the smell. I can take it, though in any case, it in no way smells like feet (unless the person has dipped his/her feet in durian).

It tastes mostly sweet, and depending on variety might taste a little bitter. Perhaps a bit like custard. I really don't know how to describe it though.

And yesss, I'm Asian.
If I am to be honest, the smell of durian isn't actually smelly, but more of the fact that the smell itself is very strong. What I like about durian is the taste and the fact it actually is mushy, and I kinda like mushy stuff. XD

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I seen those fruits all the time in Super Mario Sunshine all the time, if it smells like feet I'm not touching it. Nor going to eat it thank you very much

:t354:TG

Waffle-San
December 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
that one picture reminds me of egg.

And no I havn't, I've never even hrard of it. ~_~