PDA

View Full Version : This thread expires January 9th 2008

Chibi-chan
December 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Well, on the topic of expiration,

Do you eat things past the expiration date?
Or do you set up your own date of expiration, like 5 days after the expired date?
Or maybe it's different for dry foods and wet foods...

Anyway, expiration dates on food, important or not?

Ausaudriel
December 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Nope. :| I refuse to eat/drink anything past the expiration.

The way I figure it.. it was on its way to be expired by that date. >_>; Sort-of expired is expired enough, thanks. XD

PB
December 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
No, i refuse to eat things which go off. I once ate some cucumber 3 days expired and it didn't seem to effect me, but i sill don't like expired food especially bread

Gummy
December 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I refuse to drink milk the day before it expires. It's just... nasty.

Ausaudriel
December 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I refuse to drink milk the day before it expires. It's just... nasty.
Exactly! Things don't just ~magically~ become expired on a certain day. They were in the process of expiring, so a day or even a few days before is like, ugh, gag me. D: D: D:

I can't figure out why aaaanybody would drink/eat anything on expiration day or anywhere close. :x

PB
December 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Exactly! Things don't just ~magically~ become expired on a certain day. They were in the process of expiring, so a day or even a few days before is like, ugh, gag me. D: D: D:

I can't figure out why aaaanybody would drink/eat anything on expiration day or anywhere close. :x

Someone said to me once, that some of the bacterias that make the food can be good for you.

But i never belived it, it just sounds nasty ><;

Wish
December 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Same with me. I refuse to drink or eat anything expired. I once drank an expired Dr. Pepper. My stomach hurt the rest of the day. >.<

Chibi-chan
December 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Well, when it comes to milk, I freeze milk. It prolongs the expiration date by months, actually.

I accidentally drank a two-year-old can of Mountain Dew before. Wost. Day. Ever.

PB
December 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Well, when it comes to milk, I freeze milk. It prolongs the expiration date by months, actually.

I accidentally drank a two-year-old can of Mountain Dew before. Wost. Day. Ever.

I once drank expired water, it was vile. It smelt like feet - but i didnt smell it unstil i drank it =/

Amachi
December 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
No, I will consume it as long as it tastes fine. Likewise, if it's foul, I obviously will not eat it. Simple as that.

Usually the said food item is consumed before the expiration date. And besides, if, like in cases such as milk, the expiration date is near, you just make something else with it, like yogurt! \o/

Perry!: It's called stagnant water. It's loaded with bacteria \o/

PB
December 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
No, I will consume it as long as it tastes fine. Likewise, if it's foul, I obviously will not eat it. Simple as that.

Usually the said food item is consumed before the expiration date. And besides, if, like in cases such as milk, the expiration date is near, you just make something else with it, like yogurt! \o/

Perry!: It's called stagnant water. It's loaded with bacteria \o/

A bit of a weird question maybe but, is it/ can it be good for you?

Sylphiel
December 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I've eaten a few expired foods before. One was a container of caramel that...I didn't realize was quite a ways past its expiration date until after I'd eaten some of it (and I continued to eat it even after I found out, since it still tasted good), and another was some pork that had been in my freezer for like two years. @_o

Usually, though, if I know something is past its expiration date, I won't touch it at all. Dairy products I especially won't touch, since I don't feel like messing around with those in any way.

Sammi
December 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
If I eat stuff after the expiration date, it's on accident. :/ I tend to stick by the date unless it's a "sell by" date, in which case, it's not really expired. ;D But you rarely see those.

I don't feel like getting food poisoning or getting sick, so I stick to the date.

Amachi
December 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM
A bit of a weird question maybe but, is it/ can it be good for you?
No and no, of course it isn't XD

Jaimes
December 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, If you don't have your parents cooking for you.. then it happens a lot >_>

I go shopping about 3 times a week and buy loads each time. Sometimes I can't eat it all at once so it stays in my fridge/freezer.
Some foods have 'wrong' expiry dates such as certain veg and canned food.

My general rule is if it looks and smells as it usually would it's all good - but cook it properly anyway =D

Nuke
December 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I may eat something thats 1 day out.

Thats if there is no food in the house.

Sheena--Fujibayashi
December 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Eww. I completely hate expired food. x_x I always ask my parents when they bought any type of food before eating it. When it`s expired, I don`t eat it even if it`s only been one day since it expired. I`d rather just not taste it. xP;

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
No Matter how good the item of food is, I will never eat anything expired. The food that I love will never go bad because I will eat it on the first 2 days

:t354:TG

Midnight Beat
December 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I never eat anything past the expiration date. But I've become really cautious with milk dates lately, cause a few weeks ago I opened up a carton of milk at school and took a drink. And well I'll just let you guess what happened. ;-;

DarkGreg
December 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone with any common sence wouldn't drink or eat expired products.

So no, I don't.

Himawarii
December 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'll still eat it one day after expiration XD; I'm just weird like that D:
Otherwise,I will immediatly lead the item to the garbage.That simple XD;

♥~*Abby*~♥
December 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If it's just a couple of days, then sure. If it's any more, then no.

Vanilla Kitsune
December 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Eh, I normally don't. If its a few days expired, then I don't care. XD Other than that, I do not eat it.

22sa
December 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
No... I'm not friendly with food I'd definately through it away. =[

Cross
December 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Lol, I eat and drink expired stuff all the time. Not on purpose, but because I'm too lazy to read the expiration date.

The toilet is the one who pays soon afterwards.

Kyoko
December 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I cannot eat /drink anything that has expired, and I agree with the people who won't drink milk a day or so it expires D: I just don't trust it, though my parents are the exact opposite, they say everything stays good a week after the date.

Eww, I vote the 'no way' option~

Lucy Lu
December 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I refuse to eat/drink anything before the expiration date. It is probably already expired. I don't take any chances on that. And after expiration date...forget it!

The sell by date...that isn't that bad. Usually that means they have to sell it by that date. It doesn't usually mean it will expire on that date.

Myoko-chan
December 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I would NEVAR eat food past it's expiry date. Evar. Nuff said.

Lumine
December 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I don't mind eating/drinking stuff a few days after the "best before" date, but never ever eat/drink anything if it's gone past "use by" date.

Cosmic Tyrant
December 10th, 2007, 06:18 AM
The only instances I have ever consumed anything past it's expiration date was with soda. Surprizingly enough, I felt just fine after drinking it. Don't get me wrong, I might "experiment" with expiration dates here and there, unless it was with things like meats, daries, and produce. Those things you should never take chances with.

Shika
December 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Believe it or not I misread 6 with 9 and had a chewing gun which expired a month ago. But it tastes ok xD

Binary
December 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Nah, I don't like eating things after the expiration date,
I once did by accident and it tasted horrible!..yuck!

~Celebi

.houndoomed
December 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Lol, once I had milk just two days after the expiration date. It was horrible.. My dog seemed to like it though o.o

charizard_maa
December 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I think the answer to this questions is no. I kind of do have something about not getting sick from eating food if the chance is high. Expire food makes that risk go up so yeah. Also to my mind, the fodo will taste funny if I dod eat it after the date.

Ben Kenobi
December 10th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I don't pay much attention to the expiry date. If it looks and smells fine, I'll eat it to see if it tastes okay.

For stuff like fresh meat which expires quickly, I'll always eat it the day I get it.

Cherrim
December 10th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I had a pizza Lunchables thing in my fridge that expired sometime in October and I ate that the other week. The cheese and the bread parts were a little stale but it was still good. :x

I'll drink milk up to a few days before its pull date. Most people don't know it, but milk and most dairy products don't EXPIRE or even come close to expiring on the date on the label. That's just when stores have to stop selling it because when it goes home with people, it won't last as long as it normally would. But it's still fine for quite a few days, if not a week. :X

So yeah, I'm not afraid of eating stuff that's very recently expired or is past its pull date. Depends on how long it has been and what it is.

Aegis
December 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
We usually don't have things that long, but when we do I don't eat them. Expired stuff is usually bad tasting

Lo-chan
December 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Maybe after a few days. I normaly just throw the food away when it starts to look or smell like its expiring ^^;

Jonbo
December 11th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Believe it or not I misread 6 with 9 and had a chewing gun which expired a month ago. But it tastes ok xD

A month? A month? Ive had gum that was 15 years old!!!!!!!! Its ok, it just doesnt retain its flavor long.

Anyway,

Hmmm certain food goes bad after the expiration date quickly. But things like crackers and stuff only go stale, not necesarily bad for you.

Waffle-San
December 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
If it's 1 day, maybe 2 I will, but besides that I won't eat it.

I guess it also depends on how it smells and what it is.

Melody
December 14th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I'm not too picky. But one thing I am picky about is leftovers. I wont eat any leftovers over 3-4 days old. After that timeframe it's just ewww.
and if it's wet leftovers as in something covered in a sauce or fish then I wont touch it after 2 days in the fridge. My brother gets mad at me(he leaves a lot of leftovers in the fridge because he doesnt eat much.) because I 'Clean the refrigerator' of all foods due to expire that day when I'm hungry. xD He'll go "HEY! Where's my <insert leftover item here> AT?!?!" and I'll say "I ate it. It was gonna go bad anyway and you didnt touch it."

But if I taste something and it tastes nasty I wont eat it. Especially if it smells funny.

Shika
December 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
A month? A month? Ive had gum that was 15 years old!!!!!!!! Its ok, it just doesnt retain its flavor long.

But you are 15... O.o Does it even looked normal? Like no white snow-like thingies? Then it's like eating the flour? O.o

peirateis
December 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Not all food deteriorates at the same rate. Milk is an example of one where the expiry date is only an estimate. Different batches of milk go off at different times. It's also how you treat it. You shouldn't leave the milk anywhere.

For fruit and other stuff, it doesn't matter until you go too far over the expiry date. Stale bread is not the same as moudly bread and is still edible.

Exactly. There's obviously a difference between how long chips and milk will keep after their expiration dates. The way I see it is, if you've put the milk immediately back into the fridge after each use, then it will be fine for quite some time after its date.
My brother works at the CVS down the street from us, and every day they throw away unopened bags of chips on their expiration dates. So he puts several into a bag and brings them home. :P Chips won't start going stale in the sealed bag for several months.

But that's just my opinion.

Shadow_Yue
December 14th, 2007, 10:12 AM
No. Never. I throw it out immediately. I'd die if I ever ate anything past the expiring date.

Thomas
December 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM
It depends on the item. Stuff like milk and cheese (anything dairy really) you can smell if it has been expired, so if it smells fresh...it usually is. But other stuff like deli meat and bread I don't.

Korey
December 15th, 2007, 02:47 AM
That's a simple question D:
Heck no! :3
That's just gross, and I don't even trust expiration dates.. So sometimes I won't eat or drink somthing even if it's a few days before the date :3

Spaekle Oddberry
December 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
If it smells all right, usually. I once ate week old fish. My entire family was freaking out, but I didn't get sick or anything.