PDA

View Full Version : Universal Santa

Gerri Shin
December 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
ok since Christmas is just around the corner and this is an International Forum, I'm sure that there are plenty of names for the big guy. I only know a few, so share what they call him where you're from.

Here in the northeast USA we call him Santa Claus.

How about it share a new way to refer to him, surprise your parents by calling him by a new name this year!

DarkGreg
December 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I suppose he's called Santa Clause here aswell, or "father Christmas" but I thought that literally father Christmas would be Jesus because he was born on Chrsitmas day...

Znale
December 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Here in Finland we call him Joulupukki. And here's a fancy little fact you all you n00bz should know: Santa Claus lives in Korvatunturi, that's situated here in Finland, NOT in the Northpole or anything like that. (But no, I don't believe in Santa...)

PB
December 10th, 2007, 10:23 AM
In the UK its mostly: Father Christmas and Santa.

Jonbo
December 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Im gonna go with..... SANTA

Nacon
December 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM
................. you could just call him Delibird and BAM! there's your universal.

Amachi
December 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Nacon, don't post something so useless. I don't mind a little fun here and there, but at least contribute to the thread as well, or otherwise don't post at all.

Nuke
December 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
It is Santa, Father Christmas and very rarely St.Nick for me.

Anxiety.
December 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Poopsicles LOL
Only joking, I call him Santa or Santa Clause

slhx
December 10th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Santa Clause.If you still believe in santa just keep on going on and on and on about him.Dont worry it wont hurt people who dont......

Binary
December 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Santa or father Christmas is what we call him:P

~Celebi

Gulpin
December 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM
In New Zealand he was called Father Christmas, such as UK. But now in New Zealand he is called Santa Clause like in the U.S. In China he is called Christmas Old Man and in Chinese he is called Dun Che Lao Ren.

slhx
December 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM
You in United Kingdom?Thats what I hear they call it.

Amachi
December 11th, 2007, 04:28 PM
slhx, stay on topic at all times. If you want to discuss something else with a member, use the PM system.

txteclipse
December 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I believe he's called "Super Happy Jolly Fun Man" in Japan. Except in Japanese.

Nacon
December 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
................. you could just call him Delibird and BAM! there's your universal.
Nacon, don't post something so useless. I don't mind a little fun here and there, but at least contribute to the thread as well, or otherwise don't post at all.

that wasn't useless, I was merely stating a point, the point being that Delibird is Christmas-ish themed, has the whole Santa look and since we are in a forum that revolves around pokemon, I stated that Delibird could be considered a Universal Santa in this forum.... so how was that a useless statement? It was more so a "read between the lines" brainstewing remark.

seriously, it was a little more than a bit of fun here and there... be a little more Jolly, 'cuz I know I wouldn't be too happy if Santa Klaus, Santa Clause, Redman, St. Nick, Father Christmas or Joulupukki gave me a lump of coal...

Flabébé
December 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Santa Clause and/or Kris Kringle. Depends on who you talk to.

Zet
December 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
In Japan, Santa lives on the moon and thus known as the man on the moon but in Australia we call Santa "Santa" or "Santa Clause" etc

Amachi
December 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM
that wasn't useless, I was merely stating a point, the point being that Delibird is Christmas-ish themed, has the whole Santa look and since we are in a forum that revolves around pokemon, I stated that Delibird could be considered a Universal Santa in this forum.... so how was that a useless statement? It was more so a "read between the lines" brainstewing remark.

seriously, it was a little more than a bit of fun here and there... be a little more Jolly, 'cuz I know I wouldn't be too happy if Santa Klaus, Santa Clause, Redman, St. Nick, Father Christmas or Joulupukki gave me a lump of coal...
No you weren't, you would have explained it if you were making a joke. You were only trying to be funny, and while I don't necessarily mind that, I'd appreciate it if you actually made it seem like you were contributing to the thread.

Furthermore, if you do have an issues with what I do or say around these parts, or would like to continue this discussion further, do it via PM, as you're supposed to.

Also, Delibird's gifts explode upon reception, and it isn't the nicest Pokemon in PokeSpecial, so that's hardly Christmasy :P

Gerri Shin
December 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
@ Amachi: I don't mean to tell you off or how to do your job but i would like to point out that yo've commented 3 times in this thread and not once have you shared what Santa is called around where you live, which is the topic of this thread. I realize why you posted and am thankful, but at least revel with us in the topic of the thread.

Back on topic: I've heard that somewhere he's referred to as Papa Noel, and another name for him around my place is St. Nicholas (tho I have yet to hear about how he actually attained Sainthood)

Cosmic Tyrant
December 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
See, I think the thing is that Amachi isn't necessarily required to respond to the main topic since she's just doing her job to make sure everything in PC is in order.

But here in the U.S. I've only really heard him called either Santa Clause, Saint Nick, or Kris Kringle. (The last one I find pretty funny)

Yingxue
December 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Everyone here in Americaland calls him Santa.

sims796
December 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Popa Noel is a fun name, I never thought of that. Santa seems nice. I gotta make my list today.

Ooka
December 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I always called him Chris Cringle, isn't that his name?....

peirateis
December 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I think that in the US it's generally Santa or Kris Kringle.
I call him Papa Noel sometimes though. 8D;
And they call him Sinterklaas in the Netherlands, I believe.

Alter Ego
December 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Well, these are both for neighboring countries but...

Santa is Jultomten in Swedish while Russia -- unless they've changed it without me noticing -- doesn't have a Santa at all but instead they have Father Frost who's essentially the same thing but far less western capitalist, apparently. They might have finally given room for Santa now that they're essentially capitalist themselves, though. =O

Twinx
December 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
PAPA NOEL is used in France, it means Father of Christmas :D It's not supposed to be funny...
Here in Lebanon we call him BABA NOEL, it's similar to the french word except for BABA which also means father :)

Death_Mande
December 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
In spanish uh we call him Papa Noel. But, i usually go with Santa

Edit: @darkkchildd: Yep, man i thought nobody said papa noel.

STEELIXMANIAC
December 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM
In Singapore, it's generally Santa. But me, I don't believe in him, sadly.

Jordan
December 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Santa Claus is referred to as "Old Man Noel" (translated) in Vietnam.

Jordan.

Gulpin
December 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I think that in the US it's generally Santa or Kris Kringle.
I call him Papa Noel sometimes though. 8D;
And they call him Sinterklaas in the Netherlands, I believe.

Yes, Sinterklaas would be right. I have friends studying the Netherlands, so therefore I should know. In Sweden Santa Clause is called Tomte, who isn't exactly Santa Clause, but is like him.