PDA

View Full Version : w00t! w00t is now a word!

Thomas
December 13th, 2007, 10:53 PM
It's official, based on votes from visitors to the Merriam-Webster Web site, the expression is the #1 Word of the Year for 2007.

w00t!

If you think that this is crazy, imagine what people in the 90's thought when they added the word scrunchy to the dictionary.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22205339/

Hakeen
December 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Strange... for a word to exist, it's not supposed to include numbers. (Well, last time I checked, there were no words with numbers... excluding Porygon2 and any other character that contains a number.)

Oh well, it's a good um word to use. XD;

Geometric-sama
December 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
The definition of what is considered a "word" is certainly changing. I am rather pleased about this one, in a manly fashion, of course. w00t!

Alter Ego
December 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Bleah, I'm not too fond of mixing numbers into words to be honest. They should just have made it woot, like it's actually pronounced (0 isn't a letter, dammit >.<). I mean, what's next? 1337 becomes a word? Smilies gaining the status of words? *Rolleyes* A future where we can write books in freakin' binary isn't one I really look forward to. :\

Geometric-sama
December 14th, 2007, 06:27 AM
1337 has been a word for a very long time, Alter Ego. You are behind the times. How unmanly of you.

And I remind you that every character can be (and is) represented in binary, and thus we can write books in binary.

Shika
December 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I don't usually use w00t at least in PC but it's awesome.

Congrats to w00t... O.o

@ Manly Man of Steel: But I still don't know what 1337 means. How girly unmanly of me..

Alter Ego
December 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM
1337 has been a word for a very long time, Alter Ego. You are behind the times. How unmanly of you.

Really? I need a manlier dictionary then. .__.

Meh, whatever. I've never been a big fan of linguistic evolution. It's like, whenever enough people can't be arsed to type out the words properly they just change the norm. I mean, it makes sense in a way, but still it still seems so...sloppy.

Definitely not going to be writing any 'w00t's in my essays in the near future though; I don't think the local examiners are any manlier than me on this front. Wonder if they'd accept me writing in binary, though. xD

Yingxue
December 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Wow...Just...Wow...

I can't even begin...

Gerri Shin
December 14th, 2007, 10:36 AM
DO'H! i missed another word addition into the dictionary.
ah well, w00T w00T!

♥~*Abby*~♥
December 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Holy crap, REALLY! Wasn't expecting that. It's like the word awesomeness. It's a word, but you'd never guess it. (yes, according to spell check, awesomeness IS a word)

W00T!

Ausaudriel
December 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
rofl XD

A friend told me about this. Seems a bit silly to me, but eh, I don't particularly care too much.

Jordan
December 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Dear...lords....this....is....Genius. I love this.

Jordan.

Gulpin
December 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Well that is interesting. I'd rather just call it woot instead of w00t. w00t just looks odd. I'll look forward to new words being added to the dictionary.

sims796
December 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Really? I need a manlier dictionary then. .__.

Meh, whatever. I've never been a big fan of linguistic evolution. It's like, whenever enough people can't be arsed to type out the words properly they just change the norm. I mean, it makes sense in a way, but still it still seems so...sloppy.

Definitely not going to be writing any 'w00t's in my essays in the near future though; I don't think the local examiners are any manlier than me on this front. Wonder if they'd accept me writing in binary, though. xD

I have to agree with Alter Ego on this one. Badenough we can't type the word, just chew it up & spit it out.

Slang (especially with numbers) should not really be in the dictionary. Especially when it makes little sense. If I ever see a w00t! in my essay, (unless, of course, it's quoting someone), I will beat the person over the skull with my trusty pinata bat.

But I'm a stickler for good grammer. That's just me. But I do think 'pwn' should be in there.

Binary
December 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Wierd....a wierd word to be added to the dictionary.
...wOOT!...........

~Celebi

RYOUKI
December 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM
w00t! I never thought that w00t will be a word, i thought it was just an internet slang.

STEELIXMANIAC
December 15th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I'm kinda put off that they actually put Internet slang in the dictionary. Feh.

Although, I don't care as much now, seeing as I rarely use it.

Korey
December 15th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Interesting.. Saw this on the news the other day. I believe it's just stupid to put such a thing in a dictionary.

RandomUsername
December 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
My Prediction:
By the year 2015, "yay" will be entirely replaced with "w00t"

~Swish~
December 15th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Wow, these new entries never cease to amaze me. A lot of people I know say 'Woop! Woop!' so that could also end up being used as well.

I remmeber either last year or the year before where the word 'bouncebackability' became an official entry, all thanks to it being used a tv show here in the UK called 'Soccer AM'.

Strange things can happen, and are happening =P

Jeremy
December 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
w00t sweeties! It's a word now! Um, is pwn and 1337 are in the dictionary, yet? XD

RYOUKI
December 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Technically it isn't a word, it's #1 Word of the Year for 2007. It's only the frequently used word. It's still non standard.

The supposed officiality of this 'title' won't make you any less stupid for using it, fortunately.

In the same way using swear words doesn't make you any more smart, because they are used so often.
True, It's w00t is the number one word of the year, but then that doesn't really mean that it isn't standard, it also said:

Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new technology.
So it's probably mean that, Sometime in the future, w00t or woot, will be in fact, be in the dictionary.

But who asked me anyway?

Rageman
December 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Wow. There goes all my grammar corrections. :p

~Swish~
December 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM
W00t! w00t! Potentially the fan fic reviewers nightmare =P

Anxiety.
January 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
W00T W00T Oh yes, I love that word...

Oh yeah, you guys who are saying 1337 is just a lazy way of typing, it has/had it's reasons!!

Okay... in Chatrooms letter created lag for people, whilst numbers didn't, so typing out Noob would lag the Chatroom whilst n00b wouldn't. Get it? 1337 (Which is leet BTW) is just a way of stopping chatrooms from lagging.

Get it?

I am soo happy about w00t now being such a popular word XDXDXD <--- I am really happy...

dragica
January 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
i don't like w00t... there are better ones :P

Tr@ce
January 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
WOOT is a word. W00T isn't.

Rogue Shadow
January 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
wow, well i spose in the 80s they used kalebunga and radical, but in the 2000s we hav woot

Michii
January 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yay? It doesn't really make a difference to me. We use w00t like it's a word online, so it being official doesn't change anything. I'm not going to go nuts over it.

Cassino
January 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
W00t at the top? Whatever happened to fuxx0r. D:

Anything from 13375p34k (leetspeak) has been a word for some time now, being put in a dictionary won't make the terms any more or less of words.
Speaking of which, the point of this thread seems to be that w00t won some poll, not that it's "officially a word acording to some nerdy boffins no one need care about much". Hehe. xD

Uryū Ishida
January 12th, 2008, 01:08 AM
YAY! or should i say w00t! just out of curiosity..(im a very stupid person) what is leet? or 1337

Gοяκнaвоii
January 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
1337 means elite, which, was defined as:

elect: selected as the best; "an elect circle of artists"; "elite colleges"
a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status
(in google xD)

Yuukihime
January 13th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Yay! Now if only they would make my word a real word xD People always ask me what ''meep'' means and I really have no proper explanation to give them.. I just say ''its something I say when I'm surprised'' but they still don't get it xD but yay w00t is a word WOO!!!! Oh I mean.. W000! xD

mustangGT90210
January 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM
You're kidding me. That's sad.

Avey
January 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Nice to know and all, but I'll never say w00t in my life.

mustangGT90210
January 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Nice to know and all, but I'll never say w00t in my life.

You aren't alone, Man. I will never utter that word. I do love how they made Redneck a word a few years back.

By chance are you Oni Raichu from PE2K?

TB Pro
January 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Ah,
What is this world coming to...
*flips open dictionary* Oh!
Look!
lol,XD,ohmygosh,1337,aarg,and kerpow are in the dictionary too!

mustangGT90210
January 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ah,
What is this world coming to...
*flips open dictionary* Oh!
Look!
lol,XD,ohmygosh,1337,aarg,and kerpow are in the dictionary too!

You forgot Lawl and Rofl!

XD

Thomas
January 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I think the awesome thing is that you could use it in an English paper or report or something and when you get it back and there are points taken off or something you could pull out the dictionary and prove them wrong. lol

Faceless*
January 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
l0l!!11 7hi§ i§ t3h 1337-sp34k!!1

Well, as much as I can type it up, I don't even see why people use it o_o It's so... uh can't find the word for it =(