View Full Version : Standardized testing

December 14th, 2007, 5:14 PM
What kinds of tests do you guys have in school? I have the WASL, or Washington Assessment of Student Learning.

Midnight Beat
December 14th, 2007, 7:38 PM
Here we have the TAKS test, also known as the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills.

December 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I had TAKS in Texas, which were the simplest tests I ever took. We had those in High School junior year, yet they were easier than the EOC's (End of Course test) in Middle School and the first two years of High School in North Carolina. That isn't saying much, though, I know someone who passed one of the EOC tests by putting all C's down his answer sheet (the teacher was amazed he could bubble them in so quick as well), though that was the "testing" year of that EOC test, so it didn't really count. I passed the English TAKS (essay included) on my first week of school in Texas, not knowing what the duece a "TAKS" was, nor caring about the test at all and just throwing nothing together to make a ball of junk three-four sentence paragraph for an "essay." Apparently that is the standard that they taught us...the next year, after the test.

Those incidents, the varied school systems even in a district, and the ease of all the tests in general (yet so many fail them -.-;) make me not believe in standardized testing. Probably a few other factors I can't think of, yet my brain is dead.

December 15th, 2007, 7:46 AM
Preparing for iGCSE now, which is the (international) General Certificate for Secondary Education.

December 15th, 2007, 1:54 PM
In Ontario, as far as I know the only standardized tests are the EQAO tests, which happen in grade 3, 6, and then 9 for Math and 10 for Literacy.

I only ever wrote the Literacy exam, though, since I didn't live in Ontario until grade 7 and when I took grade 9 math, it was a year ahead and so I kind of skipped over the Math section of the testing. :x

December 15th, 2007, 1:58 PM
In Florida, we have to take the FCATS, which stands for umm... Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test. I go to a school that never has to so much as glance at that test.

December 15th, 2007, 2:08 PM
Illinois Standards Achievement Test, aka ISATs. I don't really recall which grade levels take them. I think it's 5th, 7th and 11th. Lucky me, I'll be taking them again this year along with a college enterance exam and grade 11 assessment.

December 15th, 2007, 3:21 PM
In Wisconsin, we do WKCE. Wisconsin Knowledge Consepts Examination. Ha ha. They give you like a three inch line for an answer of seven. It's so easy! They give you like 45 minutes and everyone finishes in ten. :D

December 15th, 2007, 3:32 PM
I still remember the TAKS test...good time, good time.
They were actually easier than most regular tests.

December 15th, 2007, 4:03 PM
Lets see, back at my old school we took the ERB's. Educational {Something} Bureau. I took those all the way until I left my school, in the 6th grade. But in the 5th and 6th grade, we also took the PACT tests. I have no idea what they stand for. Since I left my old school, I take the Iowa State Test, even though I don't live in Iowa. I'm not sure why I take that one rather than the PACT test, which is standard for my area.

December 15th, 2007, 6:48 PM
th grade we have to take the GEPA I have no idea what it stands for

December 16th, 2007, 4:52 PM
You guys have it easy. The WASL is very difficult. My city has the highest drop-out rate in the state, all because of the test. I failed it in the 4th and 7th grades, but somehow passed it last year in the 8th grade. I just hope I can pass it this year!

December 16th, 2007, 4:59 PM
in australia we have the SC (school certificate) and the HSC (higher school certificate)

December 16th, 2007, 6:04 PM
Oh...gosh...*thinks*. I can't remember what they're called. I'm homeschooled now, so I have no idea what test I'm taking. -.-