PDA

View Full Version : What starter type(s) are the best?

~*Pikafan*~
December 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
I was just checking a pokedex from a site and I wondered: What type would be the best for being a starter? So I thought for a bit and I decided to ask PokeCommunity.

So now I have 2 questions:

Which starter type is the best?

and

Which 3 types are the best for starters?

Ex for Question 1: Dark/Ice
Ex for Question 2: Fire/Water/Grass

For me, I think that a Water type would be the best starter in a Fire/Water/Grass. If you teach it Ice Beam, it can beat the other 2.

And I think that an Electric/Water/Ground are the 3 best types.

axlefoley
December 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
I would actually like to a fighting/psychic/dark starter combo

/Circa
December 23rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Depends on the theme of your hack, like other hacks have.

Legend of Dragons - dragon types.
My hack; Arctic blue - Ice types.
Some Team Poison hack (Forgot it) - poison types.

It is a bit more original to rescript the beginning. It makes the hack better.

pkmnmaster69
December 23rd, 2007, 02:35 AM
You could make the starters water, electric and ground just to balance it out.

Binary
December 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I would like water or dark type pokemons. But it needs to be mixed

~Celebi

Teh Baro
December 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
There are few balanced combos: for example fighting/psychic/dark.
water/electric/ground has the problem of electric not affecting ground, which changes the balance.

The problem of fighting/psychic/dark is that fighting is a physical type, while the others are special types.

I'd go for the classic water/fire/grass

lanturn 550
December 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
well at moment im leaning towards other triangle starters so something like..
poison,ground,grass works.

TB Pro
December 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Yes I would like those also.
Oh, and Baro Psy does not effect Dark...

zman27
December 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
i like the set that i am currently using: Dragon/flying; Dark/ice; fighting

Caina
December 24th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Well, I love the way it's used to be... WATER, FIRE, and GRASS. What I don't like is making legendaries as starters....

BrainDamage
December 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM
making a legendary a starter isnt so bad if you edit their leveling up speed and change the levels they learn moves so they arent 10 levels apart. otherwise its pointless cause you end up spending forever training until the poke is actually useful.

perhaps a non-effective attack triangle: flying/electric/ground. the only problem there is that flying has the advantage, for its attacks can effect both others, but electic doesnt effect ground and ground doesnt effect flying.

Razor Ramon
December 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM
defenitly psychic/fighting/dark

Kristian
December 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM
defenitly psychic/fighting/dark

maybe, but Psychic attacks can't even hurt dark..soo maybe not so smart as starters..

but what about Grass, Rock and Fly ;b
Grass > Rock
Rock > Fly
Fly > Grass

Too bad Fly'ing have very low effect on Rock type :/

~*Pikafan*~
December 28th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Yeah, but all starters have low effect on the opposite. Fire on Water doesn't do much.

But that is a good Idea, I might do that.

Razor Ramon
December 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
dude i wanna help make a hack cuz i wanna play one on my flashcart so i dont gots to use a computer. i got the perfect title and starters:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3530/st1pt8.png

see they are all animals! if u want i can post a map of the first town

heres a "rough draft" pic of what i think the begining town should be:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4453/eventnh4.png

TB Pro
December 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Ummmmm.....
Dude totally spam....
Also this is the wrong place to put this...
Put it in the scrapbox!
Also your maps need some work....

Corrosion
December 31st, 2007, 11:20 AM
My opinion is that a combination of fighting/rock/flying would make sense. The reason behind this is that in all the other games there has been Fire/Water/Grass. These types are all non-physical, whereas Fighting/Rock/Flying is purely physical. Psychic/Fighting/Dark delves into both of these catagories, thus it is imbalanced.

BrainDamage
December 31st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Ah! indeed, Fighting/Rock/Flying would be well balanced. when I make a more normal hack (as opposed to the Pokemon Colosseum remake I'm making) I shall use that combo. Starly, larvitar (or geodude), and machop (or tyrogue maybe) would fit that combo.

EvilCrazyMonkey
January 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Does it technically matter if the types aren't all physical or special? I don't grasp that concept. Also, there is a list of type triangles on The Cave of Dragonflies, under Fun Facts, which is on the left menu under Pokémon.

Giovanni Boss
January 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I was going to suggest the Rock/Fighting/Flying triangle, but it was already suggested. I think the most important thing dealing with starters is that they have the same number of evolutions and nearly the same total base stat. If we do something like pidgey, geodude and machop, itd be fairly bad for pidgeot to confront a machamp. Not only for being a normal type. So, using flying as first option may be good, but then you have to think very well on the second tiping.
About being a special-based or physical-based triangles, it's an important factor, but not when it comes to D/P.
As I love poison types, I'd also like the poison/grass/ground triangle. Pity that we don't have Ground/Fighting pokémon nor Poison/Rock. It'd make an interesting triangle: Poison/Rock -> Grass/Flying -> Ground/Fighting
Although Poison would make itself not weak to fighting attacks, it'd be extremely weak to the ground ones, and both types would cause serious injuries on Grass/Flying, which would be immune to ground, resistant to fighting, and would be able to choose on which defense [special or physical] to hurt. Poor thing on this imaginary set is that the poison one isn't resistant to grass attacks, although it could have a great special defense.

This way, I guess the best options are Flying/Rock/Fighting and the original Fire/Water/Grass.

Tentacruel13
January 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
These are some pretty good starters Rock>Fire>Steel
Do something like Larvitar>Magby>Aaron.

shane2243
January 21st, 2008, 02:38 PM
mew/celbi (spelling?)/something else like that?

BakingBluePotatoe
January 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
hm..........

Dragon/Ice/Fire?

Dragons are Weak to Ice.
Ice is Weak to Fire
Fire is weak to Dragons. Kind of

meh...

MR. MR. MR. ATOM.
January 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Fire is weak to Dragons. Kind of

Dragon is not effective against fire so no, you fail.

kitana
February 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
fire and dragon types rule them alll

mistersmeargle
February 11th, 2008, 03:53 AM
In my hack, I've got the classic Grass-Water-Fire triangle dual-type with Dark and the rival starts with a Tyrogue.

Aznbum
February 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
i wanna see a hack with psychic ice and fighting or instead of ice dark:D

+Sneasel™
February 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
i wanna see a hack with psychic ice and fighting or instead of ice dark:D

that won't work, that throws off the whole triangle.

psychic will be effective against fighting, but then what? Fighitng and ice are equal, adn ice and psychic are equal.

There are triangles taht work, which is why dark is there.

TB Pro
February 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
that won't work, that throws off the whole triangle.

psychic will be effective against fighting, but then what? Fighitng and ice are equal, adn ice and psychic are equal.

There are triangles taht work, which is why dark is there.

Actually It's like this:
=: Regular effective +: Super Effective -: Not Very Effective
Psy + Fight + Ice = Psy = Ice = Fight - Psy

Tanro
February 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
I Rather Fancy the PSY>FGT>DRK Triangle. It sounds likea good idea but if your making a hack can't you just Pick three starters that work well, and edit them to fit the triangle you pick?

I mean if you pick a starter set Say Machop , Abra , and Seedot.

Well you would want to make it so that Machoke and Kadabra dont need to trade to evolve. You would also want to edit Abra's level five moves to include to say scratch.

You would also need to tone done the Seedot's line grass moves and make seedot a dark type.
Edit there attack tables to be similar to other starters as far as progression goes.

Then you would need to even out the Exp gain and the required amount to levelup.

GKS
February 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Of all the starters, i like Typhlosion, Swampert, Secptile.

It think the Grass/Fire/Water types are the best choice since it has a circle advantage.

tImE
February 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I think
maybe Rock>Flying>Grass would work ;)
(ex. Geodude>Pidgey>Oddish/Bellsprout)

But I also like when there is two similiar
Pokémon (Nidoran(F) / Nidoran(M) or Minun / Plusle)

And also.. NEVER EVER put some thing like
Entei/Raikou/Suicune as starters that would
ruin their "Legendari-ness".

//44tim44

Goldmax
February 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM
my favorite 3 types:
Psychic/Water/Flying or Ice

KaniTheri
February 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I would actually like to a fighting/psychic/dark starter combo

I've been gunning for that since gen two, actually. I've always been mildly disappointed that it's always stuck, with rare exceptions such as Yellow, to the old Fire/Grass/Water setup. F/P/D would rock.

Hat?
February 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
How about making starters that aren't generally weak/strong against eachother, leaving it to whatever pokemon you generally like best?

Michael Allison
March 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Fire, ice, ground. Unfortunately, there are slim pickings for pure ice Pokemon.

wahwa
March 20th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Its better if Lighthing/Fire/ice for starter cause its like zapdos,articuno and moltres.

Jirachi_961
March 22nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
I agree with black phantom, why not just make cool looking pokemon that dont really have a weakness against each other? I mean, its really simple to get a fire/water/grass type pokemon in the wild, and that pretty much takes over the idea of the rival always having the uper hand.

Generally though, i think new pokemon, err i guess we call them fakemon here, are better. I like to see pre-evolved forms of pokemon, and i also like brand new pokemon that are actually cool looking, and not all weird looking... like say, huntail... that kind of pokemon is annoying.

Also, Mareep IMO sucks as a starter type. But, i am a guy. Girls might like Mareep, but idk. It doesnt appeal to me.

birdmonster
March 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Suggestions of starter trios:

Water-Grass-Fire (the classic)

Psychic-Dark/Ghost-Fight

Rock-Fight/Grass-Flying

Electric/Grass/Bug-Ground-Flying

Rock-Fire-Steel

Grass-Poison-Ground

Ice-Flying-Fight

Water-Electric-Ground

Heart's Soul
March 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
I actually don't care- I just choose the cutest one...
But, for pokemon without weaknesses, why not make the starters Spiritomb, Sableye, and a fakemon that's Ghost/Dark? That's for hack and I do want credit.

~YX

birdmonster
March 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I actually don't care- I just choose the cutest one...
But, for pokemon without weaknesses, why not make the starters Spiritomb, Sableye, and a fakemon that's Ghost/Dark? That's for hack and I do want credit.

~YX

No, no! These are not type from a pokémon with two types: For example: The trio Psychic-Dark/Ghost-Fight means that you can choose or a Dark, or a Ghost type pokémon. In Electric/Grass/Bug-Ground-Flying, you can choose or an Electric, or a Grass, or a Bug type pokémon

Water-Grass-Fire (the classic)

Psychic-Dark/Ghost-Fight

Rock-Fight/Grass-Flying

Electric/Grass/Bug-Ground-Flying

Rock-Fire-Steel

Grass-Poison-Ground

Ice-Flying-Fight

Water-Electric-Ground

Razor Ramon
March 23rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
well another idea that would be pretty BA is Treeko<Charmander<Totodile cause they all look like lizards/dinosaur and it would be kinda cool

Innocence
March 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
In my hack, I've got the classic Grass-Water-Fire triangle dual-type with Dark and the rival starts with a Tyrogue.

What, Carvanha/Sharpedo, Cacnea/Cacturne, Houndour/Houndoom?
I'm awesome at guessing :P

Anyways, with my hack, I bypass the triangle thing. You get Houndour, rival gets Poliwag. Awesome no? As the game progresses and you go towards 3rd evo, BANG! Rival has two chances of kicking your butt...He magically gets a water stone or something...

jongpilyun
March 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I really like Psychic/Fighting/Dark. Too bad there are NO 3 stage primary dark types. Otherwise Ralts/Machop/??? would work admirably. I don't get the hangup over it being a mismatch of special and physical types either: starters have always had a mismatch of stat specialization (special or physical) to begin with anyways, which is what matters more IMO. As long as all three are built as sweepers in their respective types, it'd work out.

On the other hand, I like the two starter or one starter ideas too. One of the reasons I like Prism is that he just cuts the bullshit and gets you a Larvitar. A two type, neutral vs eachother starter set is great too. For some reason, Steel and Ghost seems like a good one to me. For that matter, why not Steel or Rock vs Psychic or Ghost?

Something like Larvitar (Rock, Rock, then Rock/Dark) and then a (Grass, Grass, Grass/Psychic) would be awesome too. Total turnabout -- one starter pwns the other the first two evolutions, then one of the finals is super effective and immune.

[HoN] Jereziah
April 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Dragon are the best.
I hate Legendaries as the starters.
Bagon Dratini Trapinch

Binary
April 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
How about three dragons? Equal advantages for everyone...
Or you could stick to the triangle thing...

mechu95
April 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
I just think about the concept of my hack and choose my starters that way, or simply go for Grass/Fire/Water.

Nalesnik
April 18th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I leaned towards the orignal water, fire, grass
but the fighting, psy, dark combo defiently peaked my interest

and an eevee by itself would also make a nice starter in my book cause of the multi-evos.

BakingBluePotatoe
May 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Electric, Ground, Water!
Elc>Wtr>Grd>Elc

X-Buster
May 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Electric, Ground, Water!
Elc>Wtr>Grd>Elc

sorry but i think this won't work

Ground not effective to Water
Water not effective to Electric
Electric doesn't effect to Ground

If you use Electric type as a Starter, you wouldn't have a chance to defeat a Ground Type..!^^

yoni159
May 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM
sorry but i think this won't work

Ground not effective to Water
Water not effective to Electric
Electric doesn't effect to Ground

If you use Electric type as a Starter, you wouldn't have a chance to defeat a Ground Type..!^^

actually, ground has normal effect on water (and so water on thunder)

anyway the sets I used to think of are:

grass, water, fire(Basic)
dark, fight, psychic(nice)
ground, fire, grass(Fate might use it)

Kye McPie
May 11th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I like the traditional triangle mixed with or eventually adopting the less practical but nonetheless cool triangles (like Houndour, Exceggutor and Poliwag).

ruffy0002
May 15th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Possible to script the starters to have 17 choices?(all 17 types)

IIMarckus
May 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Who says you need to have three starters? Redo the intro so you choose more or fewer, or don't even "choose one from x number of Pokemon at the professor's lab".

~Wind~
May 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
maybe, but Psychic attacks can't even hurt dark..soo maybe not so smart as starters..

but what about Grass, Rock and Fly ;b
Grass > Rock
Rock > Fly
Fly > Grass

Too bad Fly'ing have very low effect on Rock type :/

are you a n00b??? psychic hurts fighting, fighting hurts dark, dark hurts psychic

see it does work

~DestinedCailean

garra911
May 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
i actually prefer that every starter is thee same type, which really balances it out

Harry Blue5
June 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
The best starters are most type triangles, starters of all the same type, and ones when you only get one starter to choose from (Used only in Yellow).

dudez
June 23rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
i like dark, fight, psychic as starters. Like seedot(well not dark type but evolves one and you can hack it to be dark/grass),machop and abra. Just hack it that nuzleaf can evolve to siftry without item and kadabra and machoke can evolve without trading. And of course that abra can attack instead of just teleporting. That is too bad that psychic attack cant hit to the dark but just make it faint with other pokemon

KhaosKnight
June 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
I like all the 3-type circle starters

but i like the originals better because some of the best water fire and grass types have awesome evolutions, like blaziken, when i first played sapphire and evolved my torchic, i was like, sweet a fire and fighting type

Tribladeofchaos
June 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hmm, I like Fire/Water/Grass the best.

Opposite Day
June 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know if this is suggested, but a Grass/Fighting, Fire/Dark, and Water/Psychic triangle might work?
Like you can choose between Slowpoke, Shroomish, and Houndour at the beginning.

It would be quite balanced in my opinion..
Breloom:
Fighting beats Houndoom
Grass beats Slowbro/Slowking

Houndoom:
Fire beats Breloom
Dark beats Slowbro/Slowking

Slowbro/Slowking:
Psychic beats Breloom
Water beats Houndoom

Might that work?

dragonfyre173
June 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
There is one major problem with Psychic/Fighting/Dark. It is NOT a triangle. All starter triangles must be super-effective one way, and resistant the other. Take a look at Fire/Water/Grass: One way: Grass beats Water, Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass. Now the other way: Fire resists Grass, Grass resists Water, Water resists Fire. Now look at Psy/Fight/Dark: Psychic resists Fighting, Fighting resists Dark, Dark is IMMUNE to Psychic! That breaks the triangle. Now, you could always edit the type chart to make Dark resistent to Psychic, and that is probably what one should do...

261Poochyena
June 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
I like the traditional, though Flying/Electric/Ground might work

Alucus_Of_Borg
June 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
thats a tough one all the types are evenly matched to have at least one weakness so i would have to say there all the same

JeBsEE
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
The best Starter..
Dragon
Ghost
Ice..

Zorin
July 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
The best Starter..
Dragon
Ghost
Ice..
Wow, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Anyway, I like Grass/Fire/Water still the best. One starter instead of three, like in Yellow, is cool too.

Satoshi_Red
July 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of uber-weakness.

Magikarp, Metapod, Feebas, or something. Well, maybe not Metapod, but whatever. I'm sure there are plenty of useless pokemon. Maybe one of those baby pokemon who start off with 'Charm' or something.

Five seconds into the game you'd get rid of the starter and catch a new one, and, hey, no more worries about what type you have.

Okay, I know, I'm evil.

aznduhx
July 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
You should do; Dark, Fighting, and Psychic.

ladylivereth
July 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
im trying to do a pokemon sapphire hack, and i did a combination of pokemon red, gold and sapphire starters.
I put charmander, totodile and treecko... i think it's funny cause they're all lizards, mmm they seems to be lizards :P

.com
July 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
it really depends what pkmn game ur playing. bc there's newer moves that weren't availible in the older games and that kind of thing.

sceptile1001
July 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
These are some pretty good starters Rock>Fire>Steel
Do something like Larvitar>Magby>Aaron.
but Aaron is part rock. That kinda ruins the fire.
If you dont want many evolutions, try this:
Nosepass > Growlithe > Skarmory

Rob-120
July 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I cracked out my DS and checked that thingy that tells you damage on certain types
Posion/Dark/Ghost - Some what rounded only Dark does better damage to both types
Fire/Water/Grass - normal grouping (you could just stick with that only change pokemon)
Bug/Grass/Water - Once again one type does to much damage to both
Rock/water/electric - rounded ( W>R - R>E- E>W )
Flying/Rock/Fighting - rounded ( FL>FI - FI>R - R>FL)

THose are all I'm gonna check...

NatureKeeper
July 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Water, Psychic and Bubasaur?

And You can't make it one starter in Ruby or we'll have ?, PKMN, ? ?=Msngno so?

[HoN] Jereziah
July 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Dragon and Dark Pokemons are the best for starters

Bagon, Dratini and Larvitar

DietCokeSeeker
July 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Fire, Rock, and Steel anybody?

theEND
July 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
In my opinion Electric/Dark/Psychic

Electric = Powerful, Paralysis, Destroys Water Types
Dark = Powerful, Variety of Moves and Combos
Psychic = Destroys Fighting types, powerful, confusion

Surinade
July 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Question 1: It depends on the Gym leaders. Just like in F/R/G/FR/LG because you need a Dark Pokémon to defeat Sabrina. So it just depends on the people you have defeat.
Question 2: Same answer.

ratchet5
July 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
All the perfect triangles:
fire/grass/water
ground/poison/grass
Rock/Flying/Fighting
Fire/steel/rock
Rock/Flying/grass

I think thats all

idrum4all2see
July 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Keep in mind Nintendo has choosen Fire/Water/Grass for all 4 generations because its safe.
They could have done other things but then it wouldnt have been original.

I choose a Normal, Psychic and Fighting combo for my hack.
Eevee, Abra and Machop.

That way you can eventually have Normal/Water/Fire/Electric/Psychic/Dark on Eevee to even it out.

Elite 4 Sam
July 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM
In my hack, i found using Ground>Poison>Grass for the starter types was really good.

dracolord775
August 21st, 2008, 05:47 AM
I like either putting in Ultra powerful pokemon, ex. Tyranitar, Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, and lowering thier stats to match those of other starters. Or the original Fire/Grass/Water.

Revise Librarian
September 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
A good one would be:
Water>Ground>Electric
or the original Grass>Water>Fire would do.

garra911
September 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
i liked "themed starters" like my game for example is a dragon game, so all dragon starters, but in terms of different starters, the classic fire, grass, and water is my fav

One Winged Angel
September 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I like the Original Fire Grass Water. But in my Hack, i have Pikachu as my starter.

durenloveanju
September 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
i think :
-thunder
-rock
-water
that is perfect