PDA

View Full Version : English or Maths

Shadowthinker
December 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Do you like English more or Maths?I like English more because I'm better at it.

Devil_Silver
December 29th, 2007, 03:47 AM
I say English!

I'm more a language-person than a math-person.

Nuke
December 29th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Where is the hate them both option?

If I had to choose between them it would be tough it would of been Maths easily before I moved to secondary school and algebra came.

English by a mile now.

~Rene~
December 29th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I like English more. Because it's good for your language.

~Rene~ :t025:

Sanctuary
December 29th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hmm.
I'm good at Maths I guess. In the highest class. But Math takes much more effort in tests and exams and such, as for English, I just do all my assignments in the last day and I never study for exams but I'm still in the highest class.
I guess I like them both in equal length, so I voted liked them both. <3

Wish
December 29th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Englsh for me is much more easier and way more fun then Math is. Well my teacher makes English more fun then math.

Jubilation
December 29th, 2007, 05:51 AM
English by far, English one of my best subjects along with History, Our school has History & English in one class

Azonic
December 29th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Isn't there a 'Hate them both' category? Because I can't seem to find it :<

Meh, English

Razer302
December 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I am better at Maths than English.

I love algebra. Have to go with Math over English.

Soul Eater
December 29th, 2007, 07:49 AM
English ftw. kthnxbai. :]

Seriously, I totally suck at math. D: English has always been my best subject.

Alter Ego
December 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM
English for the win.

Seriously, I've never like Maths that much. Probability is alright, though, since it's something I can actually make use of when playing children's card games. :3

Vanilla Kitsune
December 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM
English over anything for me.

Math is much too difficult for me because of my slight dyslexia. D:

Midnight Beat
December 29th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Ew, I'm with Azonic and Skii, I hate them both. But I guess I hate math a little bit less. (except geometry ;-;)

Spaekle Oddberry
December 29th, 2007, 09:27 AM
English Literature ftw. I'm gonna end up hitting the bare minimum of math classes required to graduate, that's how much I suck. :(

Cherrim
December 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM
MATH MATH MATH MATH MATH.

Argh, I hate English. :( I'm good at it, yes, but it's such a subjective course. If your teacher doesn't agree with your writing style or the opinions or ideas in your essays, you don't do as well. (It's not so much the second case if you can back up your ideas, but I still had teachers saying "well explained, but..." and taking marks off.) Plus I had a teacher once who marked everything so, so hard. What would be a 90 for any other teacher was suddenly a 75 for him. Needless to say, I more or less hated the course after that.

I love math though. Haha, I've done just as badly in Math as in English a few times, but my love for it has never diminished. :D It's just so much fun. ♥ I'm so glad I'm in university and I never have to take another English course if I don't want to, while taking all the math courses I want.

シーツー
December 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM
English is the best!
Well, I actually like them both but I'm much better at English. (Best in my class ^_^)
But our English teacher is so boring... so I like Maths lessons much better, yea...

Xairmo
December 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I prefer English, I like to write ^^

Tangerine Fox
December 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
English -- it comes naturally to me and I just think it's fun. I don't dislike math, I'm just not as good at it or enjoy most of it as much. English involves reading, writing, and editing; three of my favourite things. I actually have a knack for several types of math, but have trouble getting steps in between to make things work. Like, I could get the right answer, but I will have no idea how to explain how I got it. ("It works!" "How?" "I don't know...it just fits in.")

English makes me happy. That's about all there is to it. <3

mvtm
December 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
English ftw. kthnxbai. :]

Seriously, I totally suck at math. D: English has always been my best subject.

Seconded !!
I coudnt have said it better.
I can do well and score the highest in my class (college) for every subject exept math.I dont like it,hence its the only subject which i dont do well.

Natti
December 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
EHMAHGAWD.

ENGLISHENGLISHENGLISHEEENGLIIISH.

Yeah.

I'm like... BARELY passing Algebra. And I think it's cuz my teacher feels bad for me. =.=;

But I'm a huge spelling and grammar nerd/freak/Nazi/whatever the lingo is. If I'm friends with a person who "types lyke dis", it's cuz I was friends with them before I saw how they type. DDD:

evilcheese
December 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM
well im better at math well by the looks of my grades. engish - C+ math - A+

destinedjagold
December 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I hate English ever!
I love math, for I'm very good at math, solving this, solving that. Makes my head ache, but hey, it's fun. =3

Lunar Fang
December 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I'm great at both, but Math is definitely better. In English you got to interpret and elaborate, but in Math there is only one clear cut answer. All you got to do is follow the rules and you get the answer. That's why Math pwns!!

Xairmo
December 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I'm great at both, but Math is definitely better. In English you got to interpret and elaborate, but in Math there is only on clear cut answer. All you got to do is follow the rules and you get the answer. That's why Math pwns!!
Hmm not necesarily. At times there are infinitely many answers to problems, at least at the math Im doing

Cherrim
December 29th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hmm not necesarily. At times there are infinitely many answers to problems, at least at the math Im doing
In which case all you have to do is prove that and give a general statement about it. It's still a pretty clear cut answer. :P

Jack O'Neill
December 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Maths, without question.

I detest the subjective nature of English beyond basic grammar and spelling; you can have a technically sound essay, but like Erica said, if your teacher disagrees with your ideas, your writing style, or some other BS reason, you get marked off, sometimes severely. With maths, however, either you're right or you're wrong, and the reasons for every outcome are quite clear.

Cherrim
December 29th, 2007, 04:23 PM
That and if your institution is into giving partial marks, even if you don't get the right answer you can get solid marks for your method. Math = ♥.

Ayano Katagiri
December 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Maths. It's so much easier for me doing Maths than English and things are generally logical and straightforward.

English gets too complicated later on and essay writing is a no-no for me. It takes too long and I seriously can never get a good essay written down without spending at least an hour concentrating on what to write.

Maths problems are more challenging and therefore, more fun. xD

Sushi.
December 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I like Math is more funner and better because for one, Math is my favorite thing from School and for two I would chose Math then English.

Illusion~
December 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM
English, most def. It's always been my best subject out of everything, and math has always been the subject I struggle with. More than half those things you learn in math you aren't gonna need in the real world..so I see no point in it. All those equations n stuff isn't relevant to me. Math is supposed to be dealing with numbers and counting, so I dont see why letters and alphabets and all that other stuff are needed. It's all just so stupid to me..whoever invented all those equations had no life and had nothing else better to do. I'm not saying math itself isn't important, because I know math is important. The only math that I would actually consider important is financial math and basic addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division. Not all that graphing scale, polygon, alphabet equation stuff. English just comes naturally to me..I was always a good speller and writer and stuff..so I guess that's why I prefer English..

(Sorry about the rant..I just HATE math >.<)

Jeremy
December 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM
sweetys i dont needs no english i speaks it! i prefer maths fer its teh awesome

Okie sweeties, enough of that. XD Anyway, yes I do prefer Math for it's my favorite subject. I can live without knowing what a preposition but I'll go crazy if I didn't that 8A - 26 = 64. ^-^

P.S. Sweeties, those values are in hexadecimal. 83

Silence
December 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I generally prefer English to Math, but it all depends on the teacher that you have. During the last part of the school year, I had an awesome substitute for Maths, and my English teacher was a horrible teacher throughout the whole duration of the year, so that altered my opinions on both of them. Also, in Maths I'm actually learning things now. Everything up to about last year (2006) is just revision of fractions, decimals and weight and the such that you learn in Year Two. Now that I'm learning something, it is a whole lot more fun, and now that English is moving away from fun things like Creative Writing and into studying horrible texts, I'm starting to lean towards Mathematics. I don't like doing Math-related work outside of school that much, but I love writing. It's hard to decide - I picked both.

Random
December 29th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Math ftw!!!

What I like about math is its consistent, simple, and very easy to follow through, whatever you learned earlier, helps solve problems you learn later on, and makes much better sense as a learning curve.

Unlike English, its grammar, you have to follow and memorize certain rules for every damn little spectacle of details, as nothing follows. Writing essays can take a lot of thought and planning, and sometimes the teacher doesn't even give you the time to plan out the essay, and its has to be writen in class on the same day. Depending how anal the teacher is, is depended on you grade as well, because if you mess up once, YOU FAIL!!!

Astinus
December 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM
What? No history option? I love history. It's the only class that taught me how to write. D:

That said, I have always preferred English over mathematics. There's just something about me that actually prefers sitting down with a book and finding the hidden meanings and symbolism and then writing about it. I hate math because if you're wrong and don't do things the way that they are taught, then heaven have mercy. But with English, just get involved in a good debate and you're right because you're not restricted by some rule somewhere.

I guess I like English because I'm more in control of the subject, rather than being under the control of rules. Grammar is fun, by the way.

Lumine
December 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Maths for me thanks -.- (my reasons explained from posts above ^) English is just too monotonous.

Ausaudriel
December 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
That said, I have always preferred English over mathematics. There's just something about me that actually prefers sitting down with a book and finding the hidden meanings and symbolism and then writing about it. I hate math because if you're wrong and don't do things the way that they are taught, then heaven have mercy. But with English, just get involved in a good debate and you're right because you're not restricted by some rule somewhere.

I guess I like English because I'm more in control of the subject, rather than being under the control of rules. Grammar is fun, by the way.
That's precisely how I feel about it. <3 Well said.

</horridly short post>

Xairmo
December 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM

I also agree with you. I mean with math I'll be doing a problem and Im so sure I did it right I look over everything I do and....I get it wrong T.T
Then I do the problem again slower, so sure I got it right again....wrong T.T
There is an endles boundrary of what you can use in English solve a problem, math is to darn restricted D<
But I guess the way you answer this topic really has to do with you're thinking process. We all have different ways of thinking, some are good at finding hidden meanings while others are good for solving mathematical problems

Sammi
December 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Right now, I hate them both. English seems to be my weakest subject at the moment and my college calc class was hell. D< Give me German anyday. It's all the fun of English class, but in another language~

Generally, I don't mind either of them. They each have their good and bad points. You think I'd like English more automatically because I'm a writer, but I wasn't very good with deeper anyalasis. :/

PB
December 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I prefer Maths because there always a correct answer where in English there can be many.

Tr@ce
December 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I like English alot better. The math I just don't get, and I also have a 17%...

Lo-chan
December 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
English please :x

I suck at math xD I was never good at it, which is why I am in a math class for those that have a IEP ._.; English is a ok subject for me. Its not really that easy, but I like it ^^

Forci Stikane
December 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I love math though. Haha, I've done just as badly in Math as in English a few times, but my love for it has never diminished. :D It's just so much fun. ♥ I'm so glad I'm in university and I never have to take another English course if I don't want to, while taking all the math courses I want.

*nods* Math for the win. I have to say that I've never dealt with the sort of teacher that you have (that kind of person shouldn't be teaching, anyway), but I've had worse instead. I also absolutely despise research papers for various reasons...

Math, on the other hand, actually gives direct problems to solve, which I consider to be a more valuable learning experience. Oh, and they're a whole lot of fun in the process XD. Of course, I might be a little biased...*has been called a "walking calculator" on more than one occasion*

Ausaudriel
December 30th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Woo, this is the new poll of the week. o3o

(Alright, really need to get on Cowrie's case about that sticky Furret. >:O!)

Sheena--Fujibayashi
December 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Both are alright, but honestly, english most definitely. Even though I would kind of consider mathematics my best subject in grades, but english is better because it doesn`t damage your brain.

Simplicity
December 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I say Maths. I think that once you go over it once you can just remember it all.

As for English you have to remember all these important things and the assignments are longer.

RYOUKI
December 31st, 2007, 12:01 PM
English, I'm good and better at it, also it doesn't include numbers.

Soari
December 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM
I pick English because I love english <3 although its a very hard subject but Maths sucks..

Halcyon
January 2nd, 2008, 01:15 AM
English for sure.

Well, I used to like Maths.
But because of all those nerve-wrecking Maths question, I had other thoughts. :)

diamondpearl876
January 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
I like both, and do well in both areas. Maybe I like math 'cause we're not at the overly hard stuff yet.. :O

Gummy
January 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I used to LOVE math but as I came into high school, things became harder. Now that I'm well into Geometry, I hate the subject with a passion. English, on the other hand, used to be my worst subject before I got into writing fanfiction. I haven't gotten anything below a B+ on any of my essays since the beginning of Sophomore year.

Ben Kenobi
January 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Maths, despite my utter failure at it during AS-Level. I'm better with numbers than words.

!gnition
January 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
English.

Math is by far my worst subject, any other subject I am good at especially Biology and Government/History :)

STEELIXMANIAC
January 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
English > Maths. Simply because I'm quite good in English, but phail spectacularly in Math. My Math is improving though. =D

The Real AAA
January 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
English!
not because I hate math but is becuz this year I rock on english!

Lt. Surge's Raichu
January 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I can't stand math so it has to be english :)

dragica
January 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
English! Since it's goes under "foreign languages" in my case, and that makes it even more interesting :P

Binary
January 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Math has got to be mine,
Iam possibly the best in class, and I enjoy it alot! English is also the same for me as maths but for some particular reason, I think that maths is my best.

~Celebi

Pokeman Deoxys
January 5th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Maths is the best!
In my old school I was the 2nd best in the class!

English is too hard!

Bye

Kotowari
January 5th, 2008, 03:52 AM
English...Because I'm good at it... and the teacher is fun. xD
I fail at maths. T_T And yet it's my main subject. >_<
Althought I like Geometry. Two years ago, I was one of the best in our clas because of Geometry. Last year we didn't have any, so I'm hoping the best for next sem.

xiao
January 5th, 2008, 04:19 AM
i choose engrish!! :D

C.J.
January 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
English is easier. Math is my worst subject.

Drakorn
January 7th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Maths is my best subject I ever did in School. However, with English I hate it, and the teacher who I had was dumb she didn't even remember how to spell 'Metaphor', her way of spelling it was weird, I mean, she had something like 'Metafore'?

Sprite
January 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I prefer Algebra, my best subject; English is too weird hard for me. >[

Kylie-chan
January 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I really like both. Unfortunately, I never learn anything in English, as my grammar is generally way better than my teacher's , and the way we study texts like Romeo and Juliet is boring and sterile. :[ I'm not that great at Math, but I've come to love the subject. I get good grades in both, anyway. *shrug* I think numbers and words are both beautiful. I just dislike the subjectivity of English.

Mario The World Champion
January 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I hated English. It was one of my hardest subjects. All I wanted to do was to write stuff, but they would never let me.

Math was one of my stronger subjects. I constantly got good grades in there.

Jezebel
January 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
No contest!!

I like English more because I'm better at it! Not to mention I like to write!

TeirusuFX
January 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I am really good at math

I also consider myself as one of the best 'random number generators' in the world

♪LoaferBoyzX♪

Virtual Chatot
January 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I get Straight A's in both so...

I guess I like English better

Lucy Lu
January 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I love Math! I am good in English, but really don't like writing long research papers! Those are the worst. And you got to do what the teacher wants...sometimes the topics that they pick are so boring. I wish I could pick my own topic to write about, then I have no problem. Math for the win!

So far I got as far to Intermediate Algebra to Calculus II. I can't really grasp Calculus II yet, but I will get it(the hardest math I ever experienced). Doesn't make me hate Math. Still love it. <3<3

Rukia Kuchiki
January 11th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Eugh, if I had to choose.

Maths.

My dyslexia makes me lack high grades in English.

And english involves essays, for one type of assessment I loathe.

AnimeDDR110
January 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM
English by too much.

Math needs to rot and die. We don't use half of the things we learn in math later in life. Except if you have one of those great paying jobs that you need a college degree that must of us 2nd classies don't want.

Or if your a math teacher xD;

Or if you like numbers xD;

Rellyms
January 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
MATH MATH

I speak English and still don't get punctuations,essays and peoms I can heardly spell a word that I didn't know the meaning to and I have no clue on how to interpret poems or write essays.Math all the way I know I'm passing and not too much homework.

*I had to look up about three words in the paragraph.

Face it I hate writing.

Crystal Clair
January 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Usually English but since my teacher this term has the biggest ego and is an annoying little snot who is worshipped by all by the students in the class, I find math more tolerable, even if it is 8 in the morning and the few kids in there are total idiots and do no work. But hey, the teacher is nice, likes my anime work and is from TRANSYLVANIA!
^dont worry she hasn't sucked anyone's blood yet

~P.S~
January 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Maths, its one of my best along with Chem and Physics.

Avey
January 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hm... I'm really good at them both, but I'll say English because Maths is always going to be the same, whilest with Englisg you never know what you're going to get.

PunkerThanThou
January 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Jeebus. English is my thang, actually, and idk what I'd do without it. :]

Lady Nicole
January 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Maths, without a doubt. I love it =D I never liked English much though, especially English lit D:

Pikabloo
January 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I like English more than Maths, but I have to say I'm much better at Maths. I mean, ignoring the fact that I'm getting bad grades for my Maths AS-Level, I am better at it. In English, I'm simply horrible at analysing poems and stories and such.

Uryū Ishida
January 14th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I like English more than Maths, but I have to say I'm much better at Maths. I mean, ignoring the fact that I'm getting bad grades for my Maths AS-Level, I am better at it. In English, I'm simply horrible at analysing poems and stories and such.
OMG! same as me! except i like maths more and i am getting excellent grades in maths :P
lol,

Ash Ketchum
January 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
English! <33 [/NeverEnding] I don't like Maths - at all. I think it is pretty interesting, it's just that I really suck at it and that's the reason I can't enjoy it. ^^' I've dropped the subject this year, though. I'm happy I was able to. (= English is one of my favourite subjects and I'm quite good at it. xD When you're good at something it's more simple to enjoy it! ^^

Apathetic_Yen
January 14th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I like english better becuz I HATE math