PDA

View Full Version : RPG Maker VX

Alistair
January 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, the new installation of the PC RPG Maker series is here. It is called RPG Maker VX. This installation is compatible with Windows Vista, as well as Windows XP and Windows 2000. This version retains the battle system of RPG Maker XP, as well as the 32x32 pixel tileset. The included graphics are a bit different, and appear to be in chibi-style. The screen resolution has been changed to 544x416. The script editor also makes a fine return. There is also the addition of a random dungeon generator.

Official Site (http://www.tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/eng/index.html)
Unofficial Website (http://www.rpgmakervx.com/)

Yuoaman
January 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Awesome, facesets are back!! I can't wait until the North American version is released!

|Maximus|
January 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Do you have to pay for RPG maker VX?

Neo-Dragon
January 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I messed around with the trial that was released. Really disapointed with how the mappinging is done and the new laye system. It's kinda messed up the way people make maps now.

-BlackShadow-
January 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
The English release is

February,08

NytewolfAU2k7
January 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I won't be using VX or upgrading to it in the near future. Code Biohazard is safe on RMXP, as are my other games... RMVX looks like **** for lack of a better word...

Aqua Mudkip
January 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Aqua Mudkip: Nice! I like how the new functions work but the events screen is just too big that It doesn't fit my screen and I can't click the Ok button to finish making my event...

PokeCreator_09
January 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM
You know, if they'd ever make a Mac compatible version they would get so many more customers! I would actually have to buy a piece of software.LOL

|Maximus|
January 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Do you need to by VX? My computer just got rebooted so if you do I will get 2003 instead.

spike6958
January 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Tried it, hated it im going to wait for Stencyl to be released because it can make loads of different types of games it much easier to use and it's free :D

DarkPegasus
January 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well, I tried it out. The mapping is... stupid. The event editor is really good. I was amazed, they put everything under categories, so much easier to move around.

And then... I tryed to test a game. I got "the blue screen of death", so I guess the software got in an endless loop, they should work it out.

Alistair
January 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Well, RMVX is made for developing a more eye-pleasing RPG. As you can probably see (if you tried the demo) that mapping and tilesets are handled differently, and there are really 5 layers now, rather than 3, and tilesets are back to having a limit. The framerate has also been boosted up to 60FPS, which is a nice touch. Now, handling the program as compared to RPG Maker XP is a bit different. As already stated, the mapping is done differently, and that tilesets are handled differently. Now, with the tilesets, you only have 5 tilesets, all of which appeared to be limited. The Events layer is also extremely inconviently plasced on the icon toolbar. One positive is that the Eventing system is bit more planned out, but it appears as if they left out some events (I don't have RMXP on this computer, so I couldn't compare). Now, the database is essentially the same, but some things are changed. For example, because of assumed tileset limitations, there is no tileset tab. They also have net different tabs for Weapons, Armor, and Items. Now, onto the scripting. Instead of using the same RGSS system as RPG Maker XP,they implemented an updated one, with slightly modified syntax and commands. This, of course, means that most RPG Maker XP scripts will not directly work with RPG Maker VX. Now, the Resource Manager was essentially the same, but since graphics are handled differently with the program, there were less folders than with RPG Maker XP. This included the tileset, which meant changing the tilesets needs to be done by hand. Now, the default battle system is the same as the one included with RPG Maker XP, which is a bit of a disspointment. A battle system like the one in RPG Maker 2003 would have been nice. The inclusion of facesets is a plus, but not somehing they should have prioritized when they were making the program.

Overall, RPG Maker VX is not really suited for Pokémon games. If you really want to upgrade, or if you have never touched RPG Maker, try the trial version and see what you thing. Otherwise, don't even bother with it. Personally, I am sticking with RPG Maker XP on my laptop.

|Maximus|
January 6th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Do you need to by VX? My computer just got rebooted so if you do I will get 2003 instead. Can anybody answer this question?

Alistair
January 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yes, you have to buy RPG Maker VX.

|Maximus|
January 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Well, I will install 03 then. ;)

KaptainKrunk
January 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Yes! It's about time! I'm gettin kinda fed up messin with my XP!

First post! Hope to become an active member soon enough! :D

yaoimutt
January 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
well, it looks good so far, i mean it has a lot of things i missed from the older ones (OMG! they finally brought the vehicles back! *dances*) and they have more options for stuff, but.... I HATE THE BATTLE SYSTEM ****IT! when are they going to bring the older battle system back?????? you know! the good RPG battle system? i miss that system SOOOOO much! T-T

[_DarkDragon_]
January 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I tried this today and something pisses me off seriously, for 1 I can't seem to find a way to use other tilesets in the different layers, second the graphics that come with it... well suck really, compared to earlier RPG Makers, and finally where's the layer protection? I delete something on one layer and anything on that same spot on other layers gets deleted too. I know probably some of these problems have a solution but I haven't found it yet :x

rm2kdude
January 26th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Tried it(full version) and hated it, way to blocky for the types of games I'm making, and RGSS 2.0 isn't that much different than 1.0. And almost anything in VX can be added into RMXP very easily.

[_DarkDragon_]
January 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah, when I started my rant, I was refering to the full version. I mean, how could they turn such an awesome program into something so bad?

marxj
January 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Awesome I never even heard of VX untill I saw these posts... I can't wait till it comes out cuz I love the RPG Maker series Ive used at one point or another (at least as a trial) many of them... including the gameboy once and playstation ones...

Though, I hope its not too much to buy.

Glitchfinder
February 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I was poking around yesterday, and I found out some things. First off, there is an unofficial english-translation patch for the trial going around, which will definitely make it easier to use. Second, there is apparently also an unlimiting patch for the trial, which effectively removes every limit imposed on it, as well as several that are in the full version as well. Although there is no EULA for the trial (as of now), it still might be considered a taboo topic here. I just thought I might bring it up because it removed the mapping limits, effectively making the trial version of RMVX a better tool than the full version of RMXP. Now I won't post a link (because I couldn't find it), but I will say my most effective proof of its existance is that it was banned in several other forums.

[_DarkDragon_]
February 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I was poking around yesterday, and I found out some things. First off, there is an unofficial english-translation patch for the trial going around, which will definitely make it easier to use. Second, there is apparently also an unlimiting patch for the trial, which effectively removes every limit imposed on it, as well as several that are in the full version as well. Although there is no EULA for the trial (as of now), it still might be considered a taboo topic here. I just thought I might bring it up because it removed the mapping limits, effectively making the trial version of RMVX a better tool than the full version of RMXP. Now I won't post a link (because I couldn't find it), but I will say my most effective proof of its existance is that it was banned in several other forums.

Why do you think I said "I tried the full version", I got that link and the patch ;)... still, we can only change tileset with ruby :S

Callydude™
February 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM
To use different tilesets you must name your tileset the same as the one you want to replace.

[_DarkDragon_]
February 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Still, why add 5 layers if the max you can use is 5 tilesets (1 for each layer).

Callydude™
February 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Its now 1 March here in New Zealand and that means it should be about the 29th of February in U.S.A and still RPGMakerVX still does not have a set release
and it was meant to be released in February. What happened?

RMXPUser462
February 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
ya i tried it out, the only good thing really is the dungeon editor, yet people have already made those for RMXP, so there's no way I'm paying even more money for a very similar engine <_<

Callydude™
February 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
RPGMaker VX is now realeased in English!!Yays!!!Now we can proplerly make games without all the japanese RGSS scripts!!

Fangking Omega
February 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
It's a shockingly bad upgrade IMO. Gave the trial a go and I was sorely unimpressed. Mapping is a joke, and while some welcome features have been restored and the event editor is nice, some very basic and useful features from RMXP have been stripped away. Lacks the flexibility at a basic level.