PDA

View Full Version : Controversial

sims796
January 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Now, THIS is a controversial thread.

I have a homework assignment. Domestic violence. We all know how bad that is. Should be illegal. However, this is a college class. So, here's the deal. We must write 2 papers, on for Domestic violence being illegal, one for it being legal.

There is no way to write to "legal" part without sounding like a monster. She knows that, & luckily, there is no need to present it.

Still, this thread is for your views of domestic violence. This is a very powerful thread, so if we can, keep this at a mature level. Not only will it help me with my assignment, but it will invoke some good conversation

Oops, typo! If a mod can fix it.

Remember, this is for a school paper. No one will think any less about you. Anyone who does, doesn't belong here.

Merzbau
January 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Well, I suppose you could talk to a redneck for the second paper. Could probably even write the thing for you. Perfect person to go to if you have to know why beating your wife is awesome.

For the people who thought I was condoning domestic violence, no.

Anyway, that's my advice.

Young Stunna'
January 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
if domestic violence is like beating up someone for there race, gender, etc. and your trying to make it sound legal, talk about the illegal immigrants that refuse to move. maybe they should be threatened with the death penalty. and women can be pretty dumb at sometimes (its ok you girls think the same way about us guys lol) so u could say beating your wife should be legal because she doesnt obey you. I totally disagree about all those things but you know, if you have to write something you just have to.

sims796
January 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
This is even painful to read.

Zanacross
January 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
If domestic violence is like beating up someone for there race, gender.

Domestic violence is violence that happens in the home to either the wife, husband or children. It's not just limited to the wife.

It is wrong and should not be done. It is wrong to beat up anyone no matter who/what ever it is or where ever it is. Some people may find it all right to do it in their home.

In some cultures/religions it may be ok since the man is seen to be "better" then the woman. I how ever think that it is never ok. Its pointless bloodshed. We should make the world a happier place by stopping the violence. Help the people in need =/

But on the paper that has to make it seem legal It can be said on it that if the man/women catches their partner in bed with another person they should have the right to punish them. That could also apply to if the partner buys something they don't need and didn't discuss it with their other half they should be punished.

Of course that is a load of crap in my opinion. It should never be done as I have said earlier on in my post.

My most intelligent reply to any post ever=p

Jaimes
January 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I don't think this thread will be very controversial, since it's going to be massively one sided - (unless there are many sexists, paedophiles, extremists etc on this website).

In GB by any means, the results of domestic violence (GBH, psychological damage, harrasment, sexual abuse etc etc) are illegal and services, benefits and refuge is entitled from authority and charities. Domestic violence usually goes by, since many victims do not take action to prevent or help their situations, due to fear off change, feelings towards the perpetrator or simply not knowing where help is available.

Domestic violence can also occur as a result of traumatic events or under influences of chemicals, stress or rage - and are sometimes caused by the perpetrator with little thought.
An important viewpoint, is comparing society. Beating, assault and raping women etc, may be illegal in the developed world - but are considered acceptable in extreme sexist/religious countries (Saudi Arabia is a good example).
Some people consider extreme child discipline to be domestically violent- eitherway this depends on peoples perspective.

And so on blah blah blah, I could go on for a while but I can't be bothered anymore... ^.^

sims796
January 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Oh, one sided for sure. I was also hoping to avoid a bunch of one sentence post saying the exact same thing--I think domestic violence is bad.

We all know that, but why? I'm glad nobody has done that so far.

Also, I thought it was, since I'm asking for the "pros" of domestic violence. Unfortunately, I will have to use the excuse "It's acceptable elsewhere!", as I hate that excuse. But, if I must...

Olumuyiwa
January 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I think people who participate in domestic violence are idiots who have nothing better to do than to prove that they're "hard" or "cool". I'm a Black boy in my school and i got bullied because of my race, yet the same boy who was bullying me got in trouble and i helped him out.

That same boy now still bullies me and calls me all sorts of names. Anyway today on my school bus a girl got in a big argument with someones else's mum (thats right, mum). Personally i hate that kind of thing and i think it is a very bad thing that just keeps getting worse :cross-eye

Cassino
January 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Domestic violence. We all know how bad that is. Should be illegal.
Domestic violence is illegal. o.O
I think it's, um... well, here, you can just go to the police about it.

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
January 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
So, here's the deal. We must write 2 papers, on for Domestic violence being illegal, one for it being legal.
Can you tell us what is the purpose of that assignment? I apologize, but it makes little sense to me.

sims796
January 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
It's a persuasive essay. For college course, English class. No, we aren't meant to present it, but it is meant to challenge us. It's easy to write a persuasive essay on things you agree on, but hard to write it on something you are so strongly against.

Yes, I know it's illegal, but some may think it shouldn't be. Hence why I put it should be.