PDA

View Full Version : Can you touch type?

Olz.
January 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Can you touch type?

Basicly, type without looking at the keyboard. I can, but i make alot of mistakes xP

Razer302
January 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I can't do it at all. I will go really slow and then end up making a ton of mistakes and have to change it all.

kidpunk
January 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Nope, i can't, and i really don't want to. I don't know why their are Keyboard teachers to teach you this.

Tangerine Fox
January 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
'Course. I've known how to for years. It makes things so much quicker and easier if you can. I can look one way and read something, and type it into the computer at the same time. I get more mixed up when I look at my fingers than when I don't! =p

Avey
January 17th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I've been able to for a while now... It makes things so much easier and faster, as Tangerine Fox said.

Forest Grovyle
January 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, most of the time I can without making many mistakes. :) I'm doing it right now, for example!

--FG

latioslegends
January 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Well I can now (just finished keyboarding class, and it being my only E >.<), I can type pretty good with this method, plus it does make everything much faster. ^_^

diamondpearl876
January 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I use that method most of the time. :P It's faster, and I can see what I'm typing while doing it instead of noticing typos after I'm done. I don't care for typos if I'm on aim or anything though... :P

Fire
January 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I can do it, but I tend to look down on the keyboard once in a while.... ^^ and miss the buttons making symbols, like-> ^^

But! I actually wrote all this with only three typos!

ED: make that four. Five...

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
January 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know. I'm tyring to do it now! It seems I lack a little practice. I used to type with one finger, so at least this is an improvement.

Yes, I fixed about 20 typos before I submitted this.

marz
January 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Definitely, it really makes your life easier. To be ale to look at the screen while typing, it's much easier to spot your typos. I always touch type. o_o;

NessStar3000
January 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I've been using keyboards for awhile, I can usually type fast and correctly accurate most of the time. Though, I do tend to use the backspace key a lot. Learning how to type without actually having to look at the keyboard does make your lives easier if you tend to type out things most of the time.

Sylphiel
January 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I don't touch type the way they tried to teach me at school, using the home row keys and all that. I tried that for a while, I just gave eventually gave up and went back to how I'd been typing before.

I do have my keyboard memorized, though (which I guess is just a sign that I type too much), so I can easily type without looking down at all. Makes it way easier for me, especially when typing in the dark...well, as long as my hands are in the right place, anyways. If they're not, then it makes for some really amusing typos at times.

Ausaudriel
January 17th, 2008, 1:02 PM
I didn't even know there was a special name for doing that, to me it's like breathing. XD;

I never look at my keyboard when I type, and I don't even remember a time when I did, so.. o_o I'm sure there was, but this has become common practice for me.

I'm usually looking all over the place when I type, commonly at the TV, or what it is I'm actually typing, or watching IRC.. XD

Allstories
January 17th, 2008, 1:43 PM
Yeah, I can touch-type. Unfortunately, I never really got into using the Shift key; I just kinda double-tap Caps Lock.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
January 17th, 2008, 3:09 PM
I can with about 30% chance or error. Ask Diamondpearl876, :P

Sammi
January 17th, 2008, 3:24 PM
Ever since I took a typing class, I've touched-typed. :D I typo sometimes, but I think that's because I'm going at ten zillion two words per minute. If I go slow, I typo less.

Touch-typing is a godsend when I'm typing stories from my notebook to the computer, let me tell you. *_*

msdmario
January 17th, 2008, 3:38 PM
I've been touch typing for awhile now since they I took Keyboarding in 10th grade. I'm not a master when it comes to touch typing though. I do have to look at my keyboard when typing numbers since I never got the hang of doing that in school. >_>

Jeremy
January 17th, 2008, 4:28 PM
Well sweeties, I can touch type do to the years of chatting on AIM and MSN. XD I still make mistakes though. XD

bbgun_2006
January 17th, 2008, 4:38 PM
I can type very fast. About 75 words per min. My keyboarding teacher wants me to become a author but i dont want to i want to make games!

Eon-Rider
January 17th, 2008, 5:42 PM
Sadly, I can't. I know the location of all the keys though but I usually use the wrong fingers to hit them. I can type faster without touch typing though.

zel 2.0
January 17th, 2008, 5:43 PM
Nope and yep. In my case, I just need it to begin the sentences and some words, so I'm constantly switching from watching the keyboard and watching the screen. So a 50% goes to "yes, I can" and the other goes to "No, I can't", unfortunately, this is not a multi option poll, I feel so left behind... :laugh:

Ayano Katagiri
January 17th, 2008, 5:47 PM
I can touch type relative okay. Not extremely fast or anything, but I can touch type well enough to an extent. I make a few errors along the way though, which I usually fix up as I go along.

But I find I never actually use the correct fingering that the keyboard tells you to put your fingers. I just happen to be able to get the right key where it is...

Lucy Lu
January 17th, 2008, 6:32 PM
Yeah I can Touch Type. Sometimes I do make typos, but they are not major. If I have to type numbers or symbols on the top of the keyboard I will take a glance. But it doesn't happen often.

Yes, Touch Type is very, very useful. Like if you have to type long reports and things. ^^

Phanima
January 17th, 2008, 7:33 PM
I can sorta semi touch type, but I tend to make a few mistakes every now and then.

But what's weird is that when I'm posting replies that require a little thought, I tend to stare at the keyboard to get my mind working. I don't know why, but seeing all those lettered keys helps my mind make up words.

Kylie-chan
January 17th, 2008, 9:29 PM
No. We were supposed to learn in primary school, and we had covers to put over the keyboards; I always cheated, however, and lifted the cover. Now I watch the people who did it properly hunting and pecking and laugh. I type my own way, and I type quite swiftly.

The Real AAA
January 17th, 2008, 9:55 PM
Yes i can! its very easy! heck i learn how to type without looking at the keyboard thnx to this forum!

Azonic
January 18th, 2008, 4:55 PM
My touch typing is very good, and very very accurate. Except for when I make a lot of mistakes.

I can't. D:

dragica
January 18th, 2008, 5:08 PM
yes, for a years now... and i type quite fast too :D

Sheena--Fujibayashi
January 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well, now that I`ve gotten used to using the keyboard, I can`t really say that I look at the keyboard every time I type, since I don`t. =P I`ve gotten so used to it that I memorized where every alphabet is located on the keyboard & I hardly get any typos.

Binary
January 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah I can, but I make some typos. But I can find out where the different words are. My speeds very fast though XD

~C3LEBI

Gerri Shin
January 19th, 2008, 1:07 AM
I can do it partially, like i can still type even though my hands cover half the keyboard, I still know what I'm typing is correct. the only time I really get confused is sometimes I won't hit a double letter both times, mix up the semi-colon with the quotation mark, and sometimes (idk why) I add an A somewhere in a word without even thinking about it. usually the A thing happens when its supposed to be an O or an E.
I used to be exceptional at a numerical pad, back when I worked as a Manager at my local Movie theatre. I've since Digressed as I don't usually crunch numbers that much.

Ársa
January 19th, 2008, 1:24 AM
I touch type at 91 words per minute at 99.8% accuracy. I like to type things for no reason sometimes, basically, I just enjoy typing, get's my fingers going. I have a weird habit of replacing some words with others. For instance, I am typing a query in google (Eg. Does Lighting Strike Twice?) and I'll actually type "Does Lighting Stroke Thrice?" I dunno why, just happens. I also mix letters around alot. (I mean, alot!)

But yes, I can tough touch type.

^ (See the strikethrough, I actually typed that!) ^

I also know straight away if I make a mistake, I don't need to think about whether I need to backspace or not, my fingers move there on their own accord. :D

~T_S

Chompah :x
January 19th, 2008, 1:25 AM
Yes I can, Im doing it right now.

Joey the Cockroach
January 19th, 2008, 3:53 AM
no, when i try and do that it comes up in a huge mess. i keep trying, but getting nowhere with it.

Sorano
January 19th, 2008, 9:46 AM
Yeah, I've been doing it for years now. XD; I'm doing it right now. I hardly make any mistakes. I'm also a very fast typer, so that makes me 10x more amazing. :D

Nell
January 19th, 2008, 1:05 PM
Karli, you call yourself a fast typer? o_o;
And no, I can't touch type; although, make no assumptions that I'm a slow typer. :3

Tyler
January 19th, 2008, 1:29 PM
Yeah, I can do it. I get a couple mistakes every now and then.

Natti
January 19th, 2008, 7:26 PM
Yes, yes I can.

The majority of the time, I make no mistakes except for the usual typo here and there.

Cassino
January 19th, 2008, 8:16 PM
Neuromuscular facilitation does the work for me, I don't find need for bothering to learn touch-typing.
I type all day, every day... Like someone who has done something regularly and often since infancy, there is no method and I "just do it".

Snivi
January 19th, 2008, 8:18 PM
Yes I can. I have to for my job anyway.

!gnition
January 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Nope but the funny thing is because of that, I somehow developed to type with my left hand incredibly fast. Not faster than touch typing, but awfully close :)

Mario The World Champion
January 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I can't. I have to look at the keyboard to make sure I know what keys I'm htting.

Denuo
January 19th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I can. It's been a while in coming but I can touch type without errors.

Sam

doritos
January 20th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I took keyboarding in Jr. High, and it's just been great! Even the backspace button is pressed quickly. xD

fredlocks
January 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I don't bothered, but I guess I can if I could be bothered, although I don't no if you'd call it touch typing, I can type most things, but ocasionally look down at the board.

helix
January 21st, 2008, 1:05 AM
Yes I can. I sometimes do it while looking around at my surroundings. But I do occasionally make some odd typographical errors, especially on a keyboard I'm not familiar with. I can't say I type very fast, though.

Arcanine
January 21st, 2008, 7:52 PM
If you want to type a lot you do need to learn how to touch type. Everyone makes typos, and I've already made like 3 or 4 typos already just typing all of this up. But me taking the time looking down at the keys would take far more time then me going back to fix the typos.
The only time when I look/glance at the keyboard is when I'm setting myself up (I don't really have to set myself up, I just want to make sure I guess), and when I'm typing numbers, (I'm on a laptop so I don't have a keypad off to the right, but if I did I could use it without looking), as well as keys I almost never use. But other then them, I'm never looking at the keyboard.
OH! And I also look down when typing one handed (like when I'm eating or something). I have to look down because my left hand doesn't type on the right side of the keyboard, nor does my right type on the left, it's a system and if it's broken something bad happens. XD

Aegis
January 21st, 2008, 8:07 PM
Yeah, I never really look down unless I see myself making a string of mistakes. I took the class in primary school, where they put those covers over the keys and all to learn the proper positions for the hands. Well, I got my left hand down awesome, I use all the fingers and all. But with my right hand I only use my index finger and just move it around really fast without looking at the keyboard. It actually works really well, I'm a pretty fast typer. Every now and then I wish I could use all my right hand though XD

Degenerate
January 22nd, 2008, 9:09 AM
Yeah, sort of, almost I think. I know where all the letters but sometimes I still can't seem to type without looking down at the keyboard.

Galla
January 23rd, 2008, 6:29 AM
I can and I'm amazing accurate at it too! ^-^

Lumine
January 23rd, 2008, 7:21 AM
Yeah I can, first realized I can touch type back in junior high. XD

Ben Kenobi
January 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Having typed a lot over the past couple of years, I can easily type without having to look at the keyboard, yet I prefer to look at the keyboard when typing.

lostprophetsown
January 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
I can type very fast. About 75 words per min. My keyboarding teacher wants me to become a author but i dont want to i want to make games!

lol dude just because you can type quick dusnt mean you should be an author so dont make stuff up
also i can do it i make only a few mistakes like 1 out of every 70ish and ive only really been typing laods on my pc for about 3 years XD