PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like To Teach Yourself?

kidpunk
January 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Do you like to teach yourself anykind of topic, subject, etc., or do you prefer to be tought by some sort of teacher, tutor, etc?

I feel safer when someone with some kind of expierience teaches me something new, because, most of the time, i feel like i'm gonna mess up in what i'm doing, and then i won't understand what to do afterwards.

Azonic
January 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I like teaching myself to not to teach myself. xD

I don't like to be taught anyways. Soo... I don't really know.

dragica
January 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM
i teach myself everything! i can't listen to teachers or anybody, just my voice or my thoughts!

Ayano Katagiri
January 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I hate having to study ahead and teach myself work which will get taught in the coming few months. I don't exactly enjoy it, but I have to do it to keep up and stay ahead.

The only times I'd probably enjoy teaching myself anything would be in something I'm actually interested in. Like Japanese for example.

Joey the Cockroach
January 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
i like teaching myself, as i hate being around other people as it distracts me a lot.

Idiot!
January 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I taught myself a lot of things. Because I can learn from myself.

As long as I am willing to learn, it doesn't matter who is doing the teaching.

Jubilation
January 19th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I like to teach myself new things that way I move on when I'm ready :)

Suki
January 19th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I like to teach myself new things. I find listening to teachers boring and I like doing things on my own.

Cassino
January 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I lack self-motivation, so a teacher is preferred.

Wish
January 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I suppose this was from the DCC.

I like teaching myself, but it takes much longer when I do it. That is why I prefer a teacher.

900th post

Binary
January 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I'm ok with teaching myself, when I get taught I never really learn anything and I feel much more comfortable teaching myself. I taught my self how to script, and it worked out great.

~C3LEBI

Kyoko
January 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Not unless I really need to, like if I'm absent and don't have time to visit my teacher, then I'll teach myself the lesson. I like having someone there just in case I need help if I don't fully understand it. Also, I tend to second guess myself a lot so it's nice to have a teacher or someone who knows the subject well to help me.

Jeremy
January 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I like teaching myself sweeties. ^^ It's easier to learn and to teach myself since I don't have the pressure of a teacher or the horrible feeling of failing.

I taught myself to:
ROM Hack
Hack
Build Computers
Mod Video Game Consoles
Algebra
Linear Algebra
Color with Photoshop
Post with decent grammar on the internet. XD

And plenty of other things. XD

Sammi
January 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I can't teach myself. If it's a personal project, I'll never do it. >_< I prefer knowing if I'm doing things right or wrong, too.

I tried teaching myself some chemistry I was behind on once... didn't work so well. D:

B-Baller
January 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I teach myself bass guitar because we couldn't find any good teachers. I'm going well, because I play bass for a band and for a choir at church.

I also taught myself basketball. As a kid I never entered any basketball camps or clubs or anything. I'd go out there on the court and shoot til I'm exhausted. I've been doing that since like 5. I actually never joined a basketball club until late last year. And it was my first time playing for a school basketball team last year.

Don't underestimate me though. I'm good. xD

Zanacross
January 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Post with decent grammar on the internet. XD

Still need to learn that I do. :p

Well I like to teach myself. No pressure of a teacher

!gnition
January 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
If it's something hands on, I would prefer someone teaching me step by step, however, if it's just factual information or anything similar to it, I would rather just teach myself :)

Razer302
January 21st, 2008, 01:57 AM
I prefer to learn things on my own. Teachers are boring and never explain anything in a fun way. Just a boring reading out of a bok style which I can do on my own and quicker.

PB
January 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
I like to teach myself but I need the reassurance of teachers to make sure I'm doing it right. Apart from that I do like too because I can go at my own pace.

MUSION
January 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
I much prefer to teach myself stuff. Unless it was something practical and in depth like mechanics and stuff.

Aegis
January 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I suppose it depends on what I'm teaching myself. Stuff like Photoshop I can learn well, but academics and languages wouldn't be a good picture >: I'd end up getting lazy and not doing anything, where with a teacher I have to do it... XD;

Klippy
January 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I've been teaching myself Japanese, it's..harder, but I like teaching myself so far. I want to start taking classes though.

Rebellious Treecko
January 21st, 2008, 09:55 PM
I hate tutors/teachers. I just don't have all the freedom I do when I teach myself.
I teach myself how to use a forum, how to play video games, use graphics programs, etc. Electronic stuff.

Drakorn
January 22nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
I rather be taught by a lecturer for obvious reasons, full experience and trust. I do have trust in a few people and I could ask my best friend to be taught from her, yet again for obvious reasons, full experience and trust.

Amoeba
January 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
It sort of depends. When it comes to college subjects I have no choice but to be tutored and to go at a faster pace than I feel comfortable with.

When it comes to ROM hacking pokemon games, I really really wish I had someone to tutor me, because I'm getting absolutely nowhere, I'm clueless, there's no tutorials (and the ones there are only explain things as if you knew some stuff already), I don't even know which tools I need or how to use them, despite all my own research, I feel like its a traders secret that I couldn't understand until someone shows me step by step. Someone here did offer to show me how its done, but they must have changed their mind, as they have never got back in touch despite my attempts to contact them.

When it comes to teaching myself about evolution of plant and animal species I do like to just teach myself things as I find them. The odd snippet of information is fun to read, but it makes me ask more questions, I search, find info, ask more questions, before you know it I've got about 40 tabs open and my computer is about to die. I wish I knew someone whose profession lay in the region of evolutionary biology who I could ask questions, because much of the more in-depth information I want to read is inaccessable to the public or costs a lot of money.

However, learning to draw, and climb trees, I did all on my own. But it's only a hobby.