PDA

View Full Version : Racist or not?

Anxiety.
January 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Do you think this is racist. My *friend* said it at school.

Friend: What do you believe?

Me: I am atheist. But I believe that when you die you are reborn and I believe in karma to.

Friend: Whats Karma?

Me: Like, when you do say something mean to someone, or hurt them, you get something bad in return, like, you laugh at someone because they have big feet, then you turn around and stub your toe.

Friend: Rebirth and Karma are Bull****

See, I just say, 'I don't believe in that' Not 'That is Bull****'

What do you think? Racist or not?

Oh yeah, don't turn this into a argument about religion/race! Just state weather you think this is racist.

If this gets out of hand. Please can a mod lock it? Hopefully it won't get out of hand though.

If you class this as spam, feel free to report and close :)

Warheart
January 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Racist about..what? ._.

Unless they had some specific views against your actual nationality, I don't really see how you could have interpreted that as being racist at all. Being an atheist isn't something you can discriminate against like that: It's not rascist seeing as religion doesn't target a specific race of people, that's something you choose on your own.

It..sucks how they kinda shot down your beliefs like that, but it's not being racist =/

Cassino
January 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM
It's not racist at all. Racism is insulting one because of their colour, nationality, etc. Check a dictionary. :0
What your friend has done, it's just how the common idiot of today typically states his or her opinion. I'm not saying your friend is an idiot, just a lot of people will find some kind of derogatory term to describe something they don't like, and vigilantly defend anything they do like.

Jaimes
January 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Me: I am atheist. But I believe that when you die you are reborn and I believe in karma to.

That's not atheism. That's simply rejecting the possibiltiy of a supreme beings existence, but ironically mixing in other unprooven ideaologies of other religions =S

Eitherway, if I was to say I believe in the 'Flying Spaghetti Monster' and was to get ridiculed for that from someone of a religion, it's just hypocritical.If you have a belief, frankly you should expect some people to think youre a nutter. If told people to believe I could fly (and offered no proof), would you expect them to say 'I don't believe you' or 'That's BS'?
Belief in anything has potential to be criticised, because someone 'believes it' shouldn't be an excuse why their beliefs can't be challenged.

Eitherway it's not racist. Nor is atheism a religion. ¬_¬

Gunn
January 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
That is no way racism. Last time I checked, atheism is not a race. Also, an atheist is one who does not believe in a God/gods or any other divine beings.

Jaimes
January 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Also, an atheist is one who does not believe in a God/gods or any other divine beings.

That's incorrect, since there are religions that do not have Gods (mainly Buddhism). It's really quite difficult to define atheism as there are various degrees an individual can reject theism (for example, an evolutionist who rejects religious doctrine 'is more atheistic' than a newborn baby who has not been exposed to religion).
However the typical ideaology of atheism is: one rejects the belief of a deity and religious idealogies (such as the paranormal, spirits, afterlife etc) based the lack of valid proof and empirical evidence.

(More realistically the poster would be agnostic)

Devil_Silver
January 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I don't think he is racist, he's just being very shallow.
Everyone is free to believe in whatever he/she wants, but what he said ('That's bull****') is not very respectful.

Gunn
January 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
That's incorrect, since there are religions that do not have Gods (mainly Buddhism). It's really quite difficult to define atheism as there are various degrees an individual can reject theism (for example, an evolutionist who rejects religious doctrine 'is more atheistic' than a newborn baby who has not been exposed to religion).
However the typical ideaology of atheism is: one rejects the belief of a deity and religious idealogies (such as the paranormal, spirits, afterlife etc) based the lack of valid proof and empirical evidence.

(More realistically the poster would be agnostic)

I completely agree. I know that there is a more in-depth correct meaning for the denotation "atheism," and a lot do not seem to uphold as a gravitas point, but to explain it to someone who had not be exposed much to the atheistic believe would be most difficult to explain by someone who has, of course of an extensive period of time. I think this could be applied to other religions too, like Christianity. Simply start it off with the basics and with gradualism, they will get the idea and it will become fully idealistic to them.

Degenerate
January 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Um, I'm struggling to see where the racism came into play during that conversation. I imagine your friend was simply trying to communicate her/his disbelief in rebirth and karma, granted, she/he could've done it in a more civilized manner. I'm curious as to why you thought that'd be racist. Is there some detail you've left out? Or something we should know about your friend? Or is that you're not sure what racism really is? Or were you just trying to be funny?

Well, from what you've posted, I can't see anything racist about it.

747Jason747
January 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
People use the word Racist to much when they are in a corner.

Degenerate
January 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM
People use the word Racist to much when they are in a corner.

Yeah, it reminds me of those people who flip the excuse "It's because I'm black isn't it?" whenever someone does something bad to them. Even if technically they're not black in the least. XD I wouldn't be surprised if Rhiannon-Chan and her friend turn out to be the same race.

Marksman
January 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Not Racial. Definately not Racial, just flaying your beliefs (I know what it feels like)!

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
January 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, the topic was pointless and even if it was carrying cultured discussion, I'm gonna have to close it.

This can easily and healthily be discussed at the Chit-Chat instead.