PDA

View Full Version : Pointless classes that have absolutely no impact on your life...

Supreme Dirt
January 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
What's a pointless class you take that you will never, ever need again in your life?

For me, it would be English. I don't really care too much for essay writing. What good's it going to do me in life.

And then French, too, because eventually the essay writing will start there too.

Trainer Kat
January 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, I don't need English for my major, so I guess you could say English...but I use English in my day-to-day life, and I enjoy literacy. xD

Right now I'm only taking classes that count towards my major [and English], so nothing I'm taking now is really useless. In the past, I had to take Theology, and yeah, not my cup of tea, but whatever. xDD

Avey
January 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Technical graphics is useless for me, as I'm terrible at it, and at nearly four months, and I've failed twice.

Jaimes
January 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Geography, I have no interest in learning about dirt. >_>

Oh yeah, and I spent 2years studying latin... Because that's such a useful language to know :S

mystletainn
January 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Math is so useless for me. I know the basic Math skills. That's all I need.

Gerri Shin
January 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
English and Advanced Math classes are useless to me. I'm a Digital Art major, so I only ever need to use math to figure out the conversion of pixels to inches from a printer.

PB
January 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I like Maths, but I think it will pointless. I mean I'm not going to walk into the local shop and not get served until I have worked out an algebraic formula, Plus I know basic maths and the rest is what a calculator is for.

English is similar, I mean I'm not going to get bored in the car and write an essay on Shakespeare.

B-Baller
January 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
All of them. I live to play ball. xD

Seriously though, I don't know. I guess I'll have to go with English cos I'm fluent enough, thanks. xD

Also, geography. I'm not a traveler. xD

Olz.
January 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Where do i start?
English
PE
French
German
History - I don't wanna learn about dead people ;(

BakingBluePotatoe
January 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I like Maths, but I think it will pointless. I mean I'm not going to walk into the local shop and not get served until I have worked out an algebraic formula, Plus I know basic maths and the rest is what a calculator is for.

English is similar, I mean I'm not going to get bored in the car and write an essay on Shakespeare.
but if you WORK at a store/shop/cafe/ect. THEN you have to know the formula :p

xDD @ the shakspear thing :p

~~~~~~~~~~

for me, it would be:

Touchtyping- I can already type fast! I mean really... how hard is it to pound a few keys? Especially when you've been doing it since you were a baby? @_@
Science- okay, sure, it's interesting to know, but will it acctually help us much?
SocialStudies/History/Civics/Whatever the hell you call it- who cares if some dude rode on a horse at night? or if some dude killed some other dude over a flag? does that really help us in the future?
PE/Health- okay, why does the SCHOOL teach us... those... things? IMO, it's the responsibility of the PARENTS/LEGAL GUARDIANS! They should at least send permission slips for health and if the parents say "no" then just go on with normal Gym activities with that kid.

uhhhh.... and TBH, some electives are kind of unnessicary...................

Lash
January 25th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Computers class. All we do is photoshop, photoshop, PHOTOSHOP!
Though it is fun, it is all we do, and we ain't learning anything in that class.

Anti
January 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Actually, I think History is very important. Learning from our mistakes is important...if we didn't study our history, this country could be quite different. Have we no appreciation for the brave people who fought in the American Revolution? The Civil War?

Pointless? Tech. I think tech is important to learn since technology is of growing importance in today's world, but learning AC means is going to help us how? We literally learn nothing in that class. We learned about 2% about what there is to learn about HTML, that's it really.

pink-tiger
January 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I speak spanish but I chose it to get an easy class. So thats mine. ^_^

Chikara
January 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Health.

I learn more in the school's gossip than in that class. I LIKE the class, but the teacher is really... boring and hasn't taught us anything we didn't already know >>'

Kyoko
January 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I don't really think of my classes as a waste of time, or pointless. I enjoy learning new things and actually find the majority of my classes interesting. Buuuut, if I have to pick what's most pointless for the career I'd eventually want to have; I'd have to say my chemistry, trigonometry and US History class. Which is pretty much the bulk of my classes not including lunch, gym, free periods or english XD

Sammi
January 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
You know, I never found anything I took really useless. I always think there's at least something important to learn, even if it isn't obvious. Besides, knowing stuff is always a good thing. You never know if it'll come back again someday. :D

...although I don't know what to say about my woodworking class in 7th grade. *shot*

No, really. It was fun enough (other than freaking out every five minutes about chopping off my fingers), but I can't think of anything useful I've learned from it. Other than large power tools can be scary.

Red1530
January 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Actually, I think History is very important. Learning from our mistakes is important...if we didn't study our history, this country could be quite different. Have we no appreciation for the brave people who fought in the American Revolution? The Civil War?

Pointless? Tech. I think tech is important to learn since technology is of growing importance in today's world, but learning AC means is going to help us how? We literally learn nothing in that class. We learned about 2% about what there is to learn about HTML, that's it really.I am glad some one else agrees that history is an important subject. I think that learning a foreign language as a requirement for graduation is pointless. However I think it should be offered as an elective.

Supreme Dirt
January 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I just remembered another class for me.

Canadian history.

I really don't care all that much about how many times we've kicked the a$$es of Americans in battles. (although it is fun to bring it up at every opportunity)
(and those who say that America never lost to Canada, they were trying to make us PART of America. The fact we're still here proves we won)

And I also don't care all that much for the Stock Market crash, it's way too depressing (pun intended)

Red1530
January 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I just remembered another class for me.

Canadian history.

I really don't care all that much about how many times we've kicked the a$$es of Americans in battles. (although it is fun to bring it up at every opportunity)
(and those who say that America never lost to Canada, they were trying to make us PART of America. The fact we're still here proves we won)

And I also don't care all that much for the Stock Market crash, it's way too depressing (pun intended)I think you need to pay attention to in your Canadian history class because during the War of 1812 you were officially part of the British Empire. So technically the U.S. Army was defeated by the British Army, the superpower of the day. An independent Canada would no appear until 1867 and didn't have full legislative independence until 1982.

Cassino
January 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
English, and..... English. :o

doritos
January 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Dynamics of Group Behavior~

It's such a dumb class. x.x

diamondpearl876
January 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM
For me, it would be my world cultures/geography class; not because I find the subject itself useless, but because we haven't really been taught anything this year. All the information was kind of thrown at us and never explained thoroughly or anything.

Saryka
January 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
English and History. Seriously, I don't need to know about Canadian History (it's boring, and nothing interesting happed, sorry to say :/), and English has just been a waste of my time this semester. Thank goodness it's over.

Cherrim
January 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Phys Ed. I didn't take it in high school (it was required but I got around it... w00t!) and I haven't ever felt the need to say "oh I wish I'd taken physical education classes!"

Archer
January 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
...although I don't know what to say about my woodworking class in 7th grade. *shot*

That seemed to be the only pointless class for me, when I did it as well, but it might come in use one day...

I don't think any classes are useless, just some of the content in them.

In one class, we were learning about the "Why and How" of including people that are different. I mean seriously, that has to be the stupidest thing - it's common sense for most people, and I don't think I really remember anything about it.

I really hate people saying that languages are useless. Out of 130 people in my year, 11 kept French when it became optional. (Me and Darkblade included). Everyone else constantly says how much of a waste of time it is, when they picked things like extra PE lessons.

So to be honest - I wouldn't call any of my subjects useless.

~ARCHER~

Jack O'Neill
January 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM
If one subject could ever be considered completely and utterly useless, it would have to be physical education. The South Koreans have the right idea by not including it at all in most of their schools' curricula, or so I've read.

Crystal Clair
January 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I think that learning a foreign language as a requirement for graduation is pointless. However I think it should be offered as an elective.Especially when the only options are Spanish, French and Italian and one is trying to learn Japanese.
Seriously, my Spanish class next term is gonna be a pain to deal with. I'm gonna get Spanish and Japanese confused constantly.
"El libro o leer" ("read a book" with Spanish words and a Japanese particle and layout.)
stuff like that

but honestly, there are lots of subjects that are deamed useless yet in reality, they're pretty interesting. History is cool because then you can learn more about life.

And gym isn't useless. Doing excercise every day helps keep you in shape, helps you lose weight, and helps you feel good. Trust me, I just recovered from a term without gym and it sucked. Now I cant wait to get back on that track or play some ping-pong.

Saryka
January 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention Civics and Careers. What wastes of credits, I could have been taking something more worth my time :/ Although I do have to agree that Phys. Ed is pretty useless too. It was compulsory for me in Grade Nine, but now that I'm in Grade Ten I can kiss it goodbye forever. But I have to admit the Health portion is very important.

Aegis
January 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
German and Gym :x German because the school I'm transferring to next year doesn't offer it, so it doesn't make much sense for me to take it this year. Gym because... yeah, I haven't taken it since the 6th grade, and I don't feel like I'm missing much XD

Went
January 26th, 2008, 12:33 AM
History of Philosophy and Maths. I'm going to study Journalism, please! Why should I know Nietzsche's vision of the world and how to operate with matrices?

Amoeba
January 26th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I'm taking English just because its a standard entry qualification to get into uni. So I sort of need it, but don't think I'll need it.

Last year I took sociology and psychology to fill in time. They were still a complete waste of time. I didn't agree with anything in the classes. They both generalized stereotypes and put people into categories and pretty much dictated what people felt and thought... which I'm completely against. Actually I'm against modern psychology as a whole - psychology needs a different approach, a more open-minded approach, than what it has now.

Razer302
January 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Every class has no use in the real world. They do nothing to prepare you for real life.

I think lessons like French and and History are the most pointless. Unless you intend to go to live in France then that lesson is pointless. I find every lesson but English useless.

Idiot!
January 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM
History is hell to learn.

Literature is uselessly stupid IMO.

Sylphiel
January 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I'll have to agree with PE. Taking it every so often is one thing - but when I was in middle school, they made people take it for 12 weeks every school year (out of 36 weeks). When I had just started there they apparently wanted us to take 24 weeks of it. Talk about wasted chances, I could've been taking other classes during some of that time I was taking PE. <_< I was so glad when I hit high school and found out I had to take only one PE class for only one year, and that was it.

But as for something that's personally useless to me - higher math classes, especially something like calculus (which I did take at one point). Since I'm studying art, the ability to solve long equations really doesn't help me much, and actually doesn't come up at all. :x So it'd just be a useless skill that I'd eventually forget...and...admittedly have mostly forgotten, ah ha.

mystletainn
January 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I loved Gym Class. ;_; It was fun to just have a break from classes and go play sports. I'm a History major so I take great offense to everyone calling History useless. >:[ How rude.

Lumine
January 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Social Science subjects, especially history and economics (though Geography was quite fun) and Literature. I'm more of a Science and Maths person (yet I was an average calc student..T.T)

Tr@ce
January 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Gym... and math.
Eww math.
Well, it actually does have a huge impact on your life, but I don't like it. xD

Azonic
January 27th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Geometry. When the frack are we actually going to use our knowledge of shapes?

This is a circle! Its round and smooth. THIS IS A HARD JOB. D<

Akio123
January 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Geometry is the only math that will have no impact on your life unless you are going to be an architecht or something involving builsing or design.

Harmony
January 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Most of my classes, won't have any impact on my life what so ever.
Biology for example...I can guarantee you that in the future I'm not going to be studying cells, evolution etc. ;D

Kumo-dono
January 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
My Sociology professor is kind of a jerk.
I don't really like that class very much. :/

Ayano Katagiri
January 27th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Most of my subjects I'm taking will help me somewhat, seeing as I haven't decided on a career yet. But, subjects like Social Studies and Religious Education were classes were time was seriously wasted. It was mainly extra knowledge that I didn't really need to know.

22sa
January 28th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Programming... somehow learning a software application is the least original activity possible. The logic is fun, but not pointless implementation (at least I don't have any need of it).

Math is OKAY actually, because I like being able to make calculations and estimations about nature. Math helps that~!

Himawarii
January 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I speak spanish but I chose it to get an easy class. So thats mine. ^_^

Haha same here xD

Well for me I'd say History.Although it's nice to know your country's past,I don't think it really helps me get anywhere =\

Spaekle Oddberry
January 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I take Latin, and although I'm a woamgANCIENTROME person, that probably won't help me much. Especially since I'm not going into any law or medical stuff. :D; I'm really just taking it out of personal interest and because Spanish is probably the most annoying language in the world and French is what everyone takes because the class is easy. D: Latin does look good on college applications though, or so I've heard.

I love love love Biology and Astronomy and some other sciences, but a lot of things we learn in science are pretty pointless. I don't care if it's an igneous sjfsfwehrewht rock with cleavage on one side and bird crap on the other, I look at it and I just see a rock! That's all normal people see! D:

P.E. Forcing kids into ugly clothes and making them play basketball isn't going to convince anyone to get fit. It's just going to make a lot of them mad.

Art matters a great difference to me, because that's what I'm going into.

He who does not know history ANCIENTROME is doomed to repeat it.