PDA

View Full Version : The Homework Thread

Avey
January 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM
So, before you start telling me that this could all be discussed in the DCC, I would like to say that I will ignore those posts, because that's the sort of guy I am. I also got permission from Chibi-chan to make this thread, I thought I may as well throw that into the first post too.

This thread is basically to rant, talk and ask questions about homework.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here actually like homework?

fredlocks
January 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
depends on what subject it's for... English Homework, no way, but for ICE and other compuer related subjects, yeah I guess

Gummy
January 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
The only homework I "like" doing is Global because he's a cool, fair-grading teacher. I do most of the homework in other classes, except for Chemistry, which I do absolutely nothing in. No homework, fail my test and sleep in class; the guy still passed me with a good grade.

Ayano Katagiri
January 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I don't mind homework too much. As long as it isn't a huge essay to write or something like that. For me, my Japanese and Math homework are usually the easiest to do.

Just a question out of curiousity. Are we allowed to post specific questions regarding our homework? I.e. Post the question that we have to do...

ChildishEnvyx3
January 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
I haven't done "homework" in nearly 2 years, haha! That's homeschool for you >.<

But when I did go to "regular" school I loved English homework, I'm nerdy in that way. Maths was good, too. I was bad at maths so I needed all the extra work I could get ¬.¬;

Homework I especially hated was Science or Geography. Argh. Even thinking about it now I cringe, :P

Rose

Gerri Shin
January 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM
well considering I also haven't done homework in over 2 years (thats Uni for ya, you can;t call it homework b/c you don't take it home) when I did homework back in High school, I only really enjoyed projects from my digital graphic design course (which now that I look back on it those assignment are like saying the abc's) and other assignments that included the challenge of creating a graphic ore using elements of design.
I Mega-Loathe Math assignments.

Avey
February 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
I don't mind homework too much. As long as it isn't a huge essay to write or something like that. For me, my Japanese and Math homework are usually the easiest to do.

Just a question out of curiousity. Are we allowed to post specific questions regarding our homework? I.e. Post the question that we have to do...

Not sure... You can, but I doubt anyone will help you.

sims796
February 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
I must do two 3 page essays by Monday. I hate homework.

Azonic
February 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
I don't. Ew. Homework. I'd rather let my life rot away by doing track and going online. and other stuff that other boys don't understand xD

Saryka
February 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
I haven't actually sat down and done homework in a year and a half... bad habit to get into, but... D:

Chikara
February 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I don't think you'll get anyone to admit they like doing homework XD;

But as some of them said, they don't mind it. I personally hate it. I don't see the point of it. I asked a teacher what the point of it was and she couldn't give me a straight answer, meaning even teacher's don't know why homework is given XDD;

But that was just one teacher. I'm not in any way saying that all teachers don't know the point of it.

Tamaki
February 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I don't like it but I do it anyways.

Karonte
February 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Depends on the subject really..Like for maltese I just make up an excuse 0_o Works everytime lol

Then for H.E I do with ALOT of effort...Might explain my 100 saassesment lol

Smarties-chan
February 2nd, 2008, 05:58 AM
I don't think you'll get anyone to admit they like doing homework XD;

But as some of them said, they don't mind it. I personally hate it. I don't see the point of it. I asked a teacher what the point of it was and she couldn't give me a straight answer, meaning even teacher's don't know why homework is given XDD;

But that was just one teacher. I'm not in any way saying that all teachers don't know the point of it.

I enjoy homework. :x (though not always - I mostly feel neutral about and sometimes I really couldn't care less) Last Sunday I did my chemistry homework because I was bored and I once stayed up very late doing extra math homework. =P I haven't always been like this though. I very rarely did any homework last year, but once I decided to change my lazy ways, I eventually found out homework actually isn't that bad.

I could rant about the usefulness of homework, but I think I'll pass - one of my teachers explained the usefulness of it very well to one of my classmates who asked about the point of homework, but I can't bother repeating what she said.

Yeah, I'm a bit odd. I enjoy homework, (not that I always do my homework, mind you. =P) I don't find it pointless and heck, I even enjoy going to school. Is there something wrong with me? xP

XxZer0xX
February 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I don't care about homework unless it's something huge like an essay or something. Homework is useless to me and I can get by just fine without doing any.

Anti
February 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I must do two 3 page essays by Monday. I hate homework.

Ha, same with me! At least I have 2 and a half pages finsihed, lol

And on Super bowl Weekend >:0

Kuro
February 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
I defy anybody who says that they'd prefer to be doing homework rather than... something else.

Since I'v posted here, could anybody possibly help me with equations concerning surds? Namely how to solve them if they are:

('/ = Square Root | * = to the power of)

A - Find C

'/8 = 2*c

B - Find D

4*d = `/8

C - P = 2 + `/3; Q = 2 - `/3

Show that (P+Q)*2 is rational.

D - Find, in simplified surd form, the two roots of the equation x*2 - 2x - 1 = 0.

Show that the sum of these roots is 2 and that their product is -1.

---

I have a test tomorrow on surds, and I have no idea how to work out these style of questions. Can anybody help?

Cherrim
February 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure if it was clarified what this thread was for but... I haven't done math in a while and I really want to. So I'll help. Just so you know, the typical "to the power of" symbol is ^. So 2 to the power of 3 would be 2^3. I'm scanning in my answers, but next time you ask for help, you should use that.

A & B
The trick to A and B is to make sure you always have the same base for your exponents. That way you can cancel out the bases and just work with the exponents. My solutions are here (http://pics.livejournal.com/fonicarte/pic/000gb42k). I can't really tell you for sure how to know what to reduce the numbers to. You just learn over time that 2^3 is 8 and recognize when to do that. If all else fails, you can usually just use a calculator to figure out root-8 and then keep trying powers of 2, 3, 5, etc. until you find something that it equals. I'm pretty sure that's how I did these questions when I first learnt them, although there's probably a better way of doing it that I don't know. 8D;

C
Are you sure you copied down C right, though? (p=q)^2 doesn't make any sense to me... @_@;

D
For D, you want to use the quadratic formula, which I'm assuming you know so I didn't explain it, really. This page might help you understand surd form if you don't already. (http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/students.php/all_subjects/arithmetic/surds/resources/34) That said, my worked out answer is here (http://pics.livejournal.com/fonicarte/pic/000gcq91). I split it into two parts.

...hopefully I explained that okay. If not (or if you can't read my answers XD), let me know. 8D;

Kuro
February 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure if it was clarified what this thread was for but... I haven't done math in a while and I really want to. So I'll help. Just so you know, the typical "to the power of" symbol is ^. So 2 to the power of 3 would be 2^3. I'm scanning in my answers, but next time you ask for help, you should use that.

A & B
The trick to A and B is to make sure you always have the same base for your exponents. That way you can cancel out the bases and just work with the exponents. My solutions are here (http://pics.livejournal.com/fonicarte/pic/000gb42k). I can't really tell you for sure how to know what to reduce the numbers to. You just learn over time that 2^3 is 8 and recognize when to do that. If all else fails, you can usually just use a calculator to figure out root-8 and then keep trying powers of 2, 3, 5, etc. until you find something that it equals. I'm pretty sure that's how I did these questions when I first learnt them, although there's probably a better way of doing it that I don't know. 8D;

C
Are you sure you copied down C right, though? (p=q)^2 doesn't make any sense to me... @_@;

D
For D, you want to use the quadratic formula, which I'm assuming you know so I didn't explain it, really. This page might help you understand surd form if you don't already. (http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/students.php/all_subjects/arithmetic/surds/resources/34) That said, my worked out answer is here (http://pics.livejournal.com/fonicarte/pic/000gcq91). I split it into two parts.

...hopefully I explained that okay. If not (or if you can't read my answers XD), let me know. 8D;

Thank you eternally, Lightning. I really appreciate your help. :D I'm guessing I didn't get those answers because we haven't encountered cube-root surds yet (stupid Rod-Hull Maths-teacher look-alike). And yes, for C that is exactly how it is written.

Cherrim
February 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Glad I could help. :D But yeah, I still can't figure out C. I can only seem to get an irrational number so I must not be understanding the question or something. XD;

Kuro
February 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
That makes two of us. ><

Back to the main topic, Year 11 (UK) AKA the-year-in-which-you-receive-more-homework-than-ever and finish compulsary education, I have received more homework than before. Roughly 6 projects (in 4 months), and have been receiving more and more "revision" homeworks. Homework = the written death.

Ayano Katagiri
February 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Glad I could help. :D But yeah, I still can't figure out C. I can only seem to get an irrational number so I must not be understanding the question or something. XD;

I might be looking at C a bit too simply, but don't the square roots of 3 cancel each other out?
Therefore leaving (P+Q)^2 = 16

-------------------------------------------

I have a question myself to ask. Also Mathematical but It's pretty difficult, at least, I can't really understand the question too well.

Q: Find a positive interger N whose decimal representation contains nine distinct digits such that among all the two-digit intergers obtained by deletion of any seven digits from N there is at most one prime number. (If a two-digit integer obtained as a result of deleteion of seven digits starts with a 0, it is considered to be a one-digit integer. For example, 07 is 7.

Gunn
February 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I took my SAT today. Not fun.

Cherrim
February 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I might be looking at C a bit too simply, but don't the square roots of 3 cancel each other out?
Therefore leaving (P+Q)^2 = 16

-------------------------------------------

I have a question myself to ask. Also Mathematical but It's pretty difficult, at least, I can't really understand the question too well.

Q: Find a positive interger N whose decimal representation contains nine distinct digits such that among all the two-digit intergers obtained by deletion of any seven digits from N there is at most one prime number. (If a two-digit integer obtained as a result of deleteion of seven digits starts with a 0, it is considered to be a one-digit integer. For example, 07 is 7.
Kuro PM'd me after to say he had made a mistake in copying it down. The answer should be an irrational number--the roots don't cancel.

As for that problem, I think I kind of get it, but there's no way I'll come up with a solution at one in the morning. XD;
I took my SAT today. Not fun.
We don't have to take SATs here, which is probably a good thing since I only ever hear complaints about them. :(

Black Mage
February 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
SATs suck. :[ Thank God I'm good at English, or that Math section would of killed me. I wish they'd get rid of them like they've been talking about forever.

Anyone ever take Psychology 101 in College before? Any tips for studying?

Denuo
February 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I put a half-effort into it. Which gets to me but eh, 6 hours plus 2 of homework after school, nah, No thanks.

Sam

Lady Nicole
February 4th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I need some help. I'm stuck on this stupid curve sketching question and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong :( What the hell is wrong with me? This isn't even supposed to be one of the difficult ones >=[

Sketch the curve f(x) = 3x^2 + 4x +4/(x + 1)(x – 3) where x http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/setofrealnumbers2.png http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/setofrealnumbers3.jpg

This is what I have:

If x = 0,
y = - 4/3

If y = 0,
No solution http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/therefore.jpg graph does not cross x-axis.

Finding the asymptotes:

The denominator has 2 real roots so we should expect 2 vertical asymptotes.

Set coeff. of y equal to 0,
(x +1)(x – 3) = 0
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/therefore.jpg x = -1, x = 3 are vertical asymptotes

Set coeff. of highest power of x equal to 0,
y = 3x^2 + 4x + 4/(x^2 – 2x – 3)
xy – 2xy – 3y = 3x^2 + 4x + 4
x^2(y – 3) = 2xy + 3y + 4x +4 - (1)

y – 3 = 0
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/therefore.jpg y = 3 is a horizontal asymptote

If y = 3 in the function (1),

6x + 9 + 4x + 4 = 0
10x = -13
x = - 13/10

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/therefore.jpg it crosses the asymptote when x = - 13/10

As x --> + ∞,
y --> 3

We need to find the regions which do not exist to help us know which areas to sketch the graph.

Regions which do not exist,
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/region.jpg

Numerator,
= 3(x + 2/5)^2 + 8/3
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/therefore.jpg always true

To find max and mins:

y = 3x^2 + 4x + 4/(x^2 – 2x – 3)

dy/dx = (x^2 – 2x – 3)(6x + 4)(3x^2 + 4x + 4)(2x – 2)/(x^2 – 2x – 3)^2

Sorry, but I’m not in the mood to expand all of that >.<

Alternatively,

Eqn (1),
(y – 3)x^2 + (-2y – 4)x + (-3y – 4) = 0

For real x,
b^2 – 4ac > 0
(- 2y – 4)^2 – 4(y – 3)(- 3y – 4) > 0
4y^2 + 16y + 16 + 12y^2 + 16y – 36y – 48 > 0
16y^2 – 4y – 32 > 0
4y^2 – y – 8 > 0

If 4y^2 – y – 8 = 0,
y = (1 + √129)/8

y = 1.54, y = 1.29

y > 1.54 is the min, y < 1.29 is the max

Yeah, so I thought I'd done all of that right, but here comes my crappy curve (yeah, I drew it on Paint):

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/rach169/curve.jpg

I shaded the regions which do not exist. There should be a curve coming up from both vertical asymptotes and hitting the max at 1.29; but that means the curve will go into a region that isn't supposed to exist! Gah! >.<

I don't understand :( I'm in such a massive pickle.

EDIT: Oh nvm... max is supposed to be - 1.29, not + 1.29 >.< That makes a lot of sense. I feel... really embarrassed at my stupidity >.<

Momoshiro
February 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
You're not stupid. You're just a bit... Ignorant.

Cherrim
February 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mistakes like that aren't ignorance. o_O; I make stupid mistakes like that in math all the time.

Jubilation
February 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I do all except Maths, why you ask coz I hate it T_T

Saryka
February 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I love Math! The only thing I didn't do so hot in was quadratics, mind you, in grade ten, everyone fails quadratics. Trig is my thing, though, it's so easy~

Overlord Drakow
February 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Homework is usually a pain, it gets in the way of my free time. However I understand the essence of doing homework and revising for tests etc. Some homework can be alright but others are a right pain in the backside.

Cherrim
February 9th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I love Math! The only thing I didn't do so hot in was quadratics, mind you, in grade ten, everyone fails quadratics. Trig is my thing, though, it's so easy~
If you continue in math, that does a full 180. Everyone is ace at the simple stuff like quadratics and everyone hate hate hate HATES trig. Or at least, that was the case for me. XD;

Saryka
February 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Wow, really? Everyone pretty much failed quadratics (Well, I got a 66% on the final test, but that's still bad in my books D:) in my school and loved trig~ And I'm def continuing with math, all the way. xD

Cherrim
February 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Trig is lots of fun in grade 10 with sohcahtoa but once you get to grade 11 with the trig curves (sine and cosine graphs) and whatnot, it starts to get annoying. XD

I think you still do it in grade 11, anyway. I know they changed the entire math curriculum around in Ontario the other year. I dunno what to, though, since I was in the last year of the old system. @_@;

Saryka
February 9th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Oh, yeah, sohcahtoa~ My friends and I used that as a greeting because it sounded so cool.
I'm not looking forward to Grade Eleven math, then -_- Just the mention of "curves" give me a flashback to quadratics. -shudders-

Cherrim
February 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I had to take grade 11 math twice. :( My teacher didn't know how to teach the first time and almost the whole class failed or did really badly. D8 But yeah, you get to learn cubics and stuff in grade 11. You would've learnt about imaginary numbers, which I found a lot of fun, but they took that out of the curriculum for some reason. oO;

I hated the homework from that class because graphing takes so long. Arithmetic is better than graphing any day. ;_;

Saryka
February 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I've been lucky, I've had good teachers. I don't know why people didn't do so well in quadratics, but it's always been like that in my school for everybody. D:

And graphing... *shudders* I'm glad I didn't have that much graphing to do last semester in Math. But I won't be looking forward to Grade Eleven if I have... more... D:

Cherrim
February 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I had the worst teacher ever for grade 11, and then the second-worst teacher ever for Calculus (the first time) and then Discrete Geometry. D8 They've abolished both courses now but oh my gosh this guy couldn't teach. He was smart and understood everything, but he couldn't teach it well and that sucked. *so amazed she got into the university she did with a teacher like that*

I dunno what the grade eleven curriculum is like, but the first few weeks are the best, I think. You'll miss exponents so bad by the end. D:

...I also think we're getting off topic with the talking about coursework instead of homework itself. XD;

Saryka
February 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah, sorry about that D:

Anyway, homework... I haven't been getting much of it this semester so far, but when I do, it's very minimal. I have an easy semester, so it's really convenient. xD

//_Blaze_//
February 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Haha,I love doing quadratics.They are easy

Saryka
February 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
They are so not! I did so bad on the unit. D:

txteclipse
February 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Wait until you get to Calculus. Then you learn about fun things such as limits as x approaches infinity, the area under a curve, the area between two curves, and the volume of solids created by revolutions of curves! *shudder*

Lady Nicole
February 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Wait until you get to Calculus. Then you learn about fun things such as limits as x approaches infinity, the area under a curve, the area between two curves, and the volume of solids created by revolutions of curves! *shudder*

I remember doing that. As for the volume of solids thing, I remember forgetting to square y in my mock >.< Ugh. I never forgot to square y ever again, that's for sure XD At least I did it in my mock and not the final exam :\

Cherrim
February 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Calculus! ♥

Actually, no, I hated Calculus compared to Algebra. x_x; The homework took about 10 hours to complete every week (one assignment a week) compared to the 5~8 hours of Algebra. I also didn't get integrals at ALL. I'm gonna need a tutor for Calculus II or something if it builds on them, which I know it will. ;_;

Pikabloo
February 13th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Calculus makes me sad :<

I find it so much harder than other Math topics. I also need to keep asking my teacher about integration, because I always forget on how to do it. Luckily, we're just doing revision exercises now, so I don't have much homework that is heavy on calculus. But when we were getting onto the harder questions when we were just finishing the topic, it took me ages to figure some of the stuff out. Hopefully, I'll have to wait until next year for it to get harder than that.

I also dislike trig identities. For some reason, I'm really bad at them...

Ayano Katagiri
February 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Calculus!! I actually love it, well the bits that we did last year on it anyway. But then again, it was really simple stuff just integration, differentiation and maximums. Basically only an introduction, which is kinda sad. But I hate it for the proof question they asked us in our exam paper... we're not meant to get proofs at this level!
I'm taking a full Calculus class next year though, I took Statistics this year instead... and I'm going to hate the reports that we'll have to write for it.

Cherrim
February 13th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Calculus makes me sad :<

I find it so much harder than other Math topics. I also need to keep asking my teacher about integration, because I always forget on how to do it. Luckily, we're just doing revision exercises now, so I don't have much homework that is heavy on calculus. But when we were getting onto the harder questions when we were just finishing the topic, it took me ages to figure some of the stuff out. Hopefully, I'll have to wait until next year for it to get harder than that.

I also dislike trig identities. For some reason, I'm really bad at them...
Oh my goooosh, trig identities. D8 I hate those so much. I STILL don't really get them. I mean, they look like fun but I've never learnt them. XD;

Shadowz
February 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Doe anyone else hate the history essays? We have to use our own "historical knowledge", i hate it so much!

Red1530
February 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Doe anyone else hate the history essays? We have to use our own "historical knowledge", i hate it so much!I like history homework because I have an interest in it. However I hate English homework because it is not my best subject.

Saryka
February 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'm still young. I have no clue what calculus is but, goodness, I do not look forward to doing it. >.<
I have such an easy semester right now that I have no homework. Seriously. XD Civics, French, Religion, Computer Sciences. Chyeah :D

Gymnotide
February 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone here actually like homework?

Oh dear, what a riveting question. It all boils down to a list of the courses that I'm taking.

English III - Supposedly, my school is one of the top Public Schools in the US and our English curriculum is two years ahead those of average high schools. That doesn't make it any more fun, either. I'm currently reading Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Marquez, and it is killing me. My teacher assigns these stupid Post-its that we stuff our books with, wasting paper, time, and money, as well as Literary Essays overnight.

Chemistry - This course is ridiculously easy, but then again, I have a knack for Sciences. The homework for this class... Is tedium. That's what it is. We have to answer equations that, after finishing them, have no real way of understanding what we've done, but know that we are right. Yeah, so next year, I'm taking Physics, then the following year, AP Biology & Physiology.

Math H III - Honors class means stupid math at my school, since there are higher tiers. Honestly, I could be taking extended honors, but it's too late for that now. The thing I like about this class is that the homework is diverse and provides good practice and stimulates the brain, like Brain Age II -____-

Spanish III - Systematic translations & conjugations. They're really easy though, so I usually take a minute to a minute and a half per page.

US History I - iuhiegriyg9734kjehkdhk!!BJKDBKH#!@#$*@!!!!
Homework every night, 2-6 pages of reading notes, then 4+ pages of supplementary reading, plus year-encompassing Semester Projects, topped off with a Term Paper, in-class essays, regular pop quizzes, multi-page writing assignments, group works & conferences that represent past negotiations.

Music III - BEST TEACHER EVER. Aye, we've just started taking Music, so I'm not sure about this class yet. The course requirements dictate a ton of work to do, though, so I guess I can look forward to this.

So, the answer is: Generally, no. In fact, I don't even do it until the last two minutes until class begins, but still get it done in a Check-plus quality. Ch'yeah.

♣Gawain♣
February 17th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Gosh, I really hate doing homework in Stat. It really makes me SICK...

I only like to do homework in Bio...

Pikabloo
February 17th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Oh my goooosh, trig identities. D8 I hate those so much. I STILL don't really get them. I mean, they look like fun but I've never learnt them. XD;
I sort of understand them. It's just that when I'm faced with a "prove that [equationA] is equal to [equationB]" question, I never know where to start and I never know which identity I'm supposed to use. So I end up just sitting there, staring into space :B

I still can't believe I picked Higher Maths for IB.

The good thing now is that we've finished the syllabus for most subjects, so I don't need to learn anything new. The bad thing is that my teachers are probably going to give me a ton of revision work during the next half term. Plus I really need to start preparing for my French orals, which are sometime in March. Hooray?

Michii
February 17th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Homework thread? Well, I need help. I got a problem wrong and I don't know why.

I had to graph -4*1/2 to the x power. Of course, I got a slope going in the positive direction but in the negative quads of the graph. It was perfect. But I couldn't determine the domain and range. I get it right all the time but I blew it this time. If anyone is at this level of math and would help me, I'd appreciate it =]

Kuro
March 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Okay, I'm back this time. Chemistry is a complete ♥♥♥♥♥. >>

I have a few main questions, but mostly I don't really understand how to get to the answer. >> Multiply which parts by which, etc. So if you can help me, would you mind please talking me through it? It'd b greatly appreciated.

Either way, my questions concern chemical calculations.

1. 80g of Methane burn in air

CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O

(a) Calculate the mass of CO2 made.
(b) Calculate the mass of CO2 used.

2. 40g of dibromoethane are made by reacting bromine with ethene.

C2H4 + Br2 -> C2H4Br2

(a) Calculate the mass of Br2 used.
(b) Calculate the mass of C2H4

3. 100g of sodium hydroxide are needed.

2Na + 2H2O -> 2NaOH + H2

(a) Calculate the mass of sodium necessary.
(b) The mass of H2 made.

4. 500kg of calcium reacts with hydrochloric acid.

(a) Ca + 2HCl -> CaCl2 + H2

(a) Calculate the mass of HCl used.
(b) Calculate the mass of CaCl2 made.

--

They seriously burn my mind, so help would be greatly appreciated (I know the formulae - mass = mol. x RAM/RFM, etc.).

Scales
March 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM
I dislike doing homework since it gets in the way of either my gaming or writing. Most homework like math is easy however when I get a bomb dropped on my with Science or Cap I freak out. Since i get a ton of homework from those two subjects.